TDS page on DSLReports

Review by neonrider See Profile

• Location: North,Orangeburg,SC
  • Telco party TDS Metrocom
Good "You get a land line and a DSL and the cost came down recently! No outsourcing for support!"
Bad "Line gets cut sometimes and their voice mail system is not the brightest. The DSL speed is ridiculously slow! New site is joke."
Overall "Needs improvement and more attention to cutomers needs and wants."

Mostly mixed experiences, but I'd like to note the following issues (mixed, both DSL and the phone service):

1. While talking for a long time (20-30 minutes) the line suddenly gets disconnected. Not a battery issue and not an inside wiring issue.

2. Voicemail is not the brightest, because:

a. After listening to your voice message(s) it says "This was your last message" (funeral music is not playing indeed); I suggested (many times and years ago and now also) to TDS to change the wording to something less "terminal".

b) The user options and voice mail options take something like 5 sec. to be described by recorded voice, but once it starts, the options are shot at you at the speed of a machine gun; Although you can read them in a TDS phonebook.

c) There is no option for the voice mail to pick up after an X number of rings. You have to call the customer service (and sometimes be transferred from a rep to a rep to a rep and to another rep) to achieve that and sometimes it takes a long time for them to understand what you need done to your voice mail setting. All you want to do is for the voice mail to activate itself after 5 or 4 or 3 rings and not immediately. Their default seems (unfortunately) be "immediately". So when someone calls you you hear the voicemail instead of the caller... They have changed voicemail pick up after 5 rings now. Technician tested it yesterday, he said it works now after 5 rings (I hear 4 rings, the caller hears 5 rings). OK! Yet this morning all calls went into voicemail after no ring or just 1 ring. Called support, they told me it needs time to get P-R-O-C-E-S-S-E-D. Okay, let's give it some time. What a backwards system. Why can't I change the number of rings options myself?

d) There is no option to eliminate (delete) message and/or your name from the voicemail. All you can do is to change it. You can ask them to disable your voice mail though and save yourself some money.

I'd say a very user-UNfriendly and even failing voicemail system and can be very annoying and slow and inconvenient to make any change. A very backwards system that I would NOT recommend.

TDS! Consider dumping the current voicemail "machine" and get a better one. No one wants to hear "THIS WAS YOUR LAST MESSAGE" on their voicemail as if one's gonna die soon after that or something...

3. After an "old" modem died, they sent me a new one "Actiontec" which is more round-looking and then they started charging me every month for it without my consent. One month they even double-charged me for the modem. Once I called them and notified also that I saw some lower priced plans now available they signed me up with new plan and that saved me about $12 a month.

4. Sometimes (every few days) the internet connection becomes "stale" (down). I have to powercycle everything to get back online. Not a huge problem though.

5. Faster than 3G speeds are unavailable, not even if you pay more.

6. Don't shut your modem down every night, - that will kill your modem sooner.

7. Is there a firewall in the modem? Seems not.

8. TDS! DUMP YOUR VOICEMAIL SYSTEM PROVIDER N-O-W!!!

9. NEW! July 2009. Just noticed this month that TDS has increased the modem "rental" (never knew I was renting the modem until they started charging me this fee!) charge from $2.95 to $3.95 a month without any prior notification. Soooooo TDS! They never let me know before they raise their charges.

10. NEW! September 2012: I am paying TDS $50 monthly for a 15 Mbps DSL connection and I'm getting measly 0.22 to 1 Mbps and if i'm lucky I get up to 5 Mbps. They told me that is normal as it is "up to". Nice... No kidding! Take a look:

TDS speed test result: »tinypic.com/r/vql2ko/6

and at the same time:

Speakeasy speed test: »tinypic.com/r/rk8x05/6

Comments:

Review by ALovelyGust See Profile

• Location: Fayetteville,Brown,OH
Good "Easy to get, performance is okay in off hours, not great."
Bad "Unacceptable performance in the evening, support claims there's no problem."
Overall "I'm tired of the run around, they know what's wrong."

·TDS
Pretty much summarized above, they're honestly expanding their customer base while not addressing customer complaints. I'm just about done tolerating this nonsense, and considering doing what I once thought was unimaginable: Switch to TWC.

3 25 ms 28 ms 26 ms chcgildthed12-gi1-2-10.network.tds.net [69.128.252.249]
4 173 ms 203 ms 167 ms chcgildtcor52-tg0-5-4-0.network.tds.net [64.50.224.173]

Nuff said.

Comments:

Review by tastydsl See Profile

• Location: Waynesboro,Wayne,TN
Good "Solid connection, uptime is good. Tech support is very helpful"
Bad "I live in the middle of nowhere, but I wish I could get faster that 15Mb"
Overall "My only choice where I live, but very satisfied."

I purchased the 15MBps package, the fastest available where I live. I was having lots of trouble maintaining good SNR, dropping around 6/9, until I figured out I had ran the CAT5E cable to far. Once I solved the inside wiring issue, and a call to tech support to increase my speed back to normal, i'm getting 15.64Mb down / .78Mb up. SNR at 11/10. GT701D Actiontec modem. Speed is pretty solid, and ping is always around 45ms. Most of the complaints I have, are not TDS's fault. I live in the middle of no where, so 15Mb is good. I was on dialup for 10+ years. Then around 2003, TDS set us up with ISDN. That was a nice improvement over Dialup. I can remember the techs worked for a couple days trying to solve connection issues - and they did. I have nothing but good things to say about the employees. I hope faster speeds become available soon.

Comments:

Review by omalmals See Profile

• Location: Trenary,Alger,MI
Good "Supposedly has high speed internet in the UP (Michigan)"
Bad "Even though advertised, doesn't exist"
Overall "They oversold and now new customers are left hanging with no service whatsoever"

Last year I researched areas in the UP that had access to high speed internet and we limited our home search to those areas. Upon finding a home, I contacted TDS (the provider) to make sure high speed internet was available at that address. FOUR TIMES I was assured it was - we put an offer on the house and bought it. Now, suddenly I discover there is NO high speed internet after all. I was told that TDS took a gov't grant to upgrade their system, installed the fiber optic cables in front of our house - then oversold their existing DSL to the point no new customers can come on line. Because of some gov't glitch, the fiber optic cable can't come on line either. Leaving us high and dry without any internet at all (unless you can call satellite which is SLOW and 1/50th of the bandwidth I require for my home business - a joke). I have spent weeks trying to find someone that can do something but keep getting the same run around. I'm told they must do EPA studies, they oversold, all manner of excuses and that there is a "hold" on our area. Here they have a new customer - willing to pay through the nose for good service - and they won't provide it. Then, to add insult to injury in my mailbox today is a flyer advertising "only days left to claim your laptop" and order a TDS bundle with high speed Internet and phone service for $54.94/mo for a year "in your area" - call right away...I did..and yep, it's still not available - they are advertising for something they won't/can't sell. How stupid is that?

Comments:

Review by jnbaker

• Location: Parsons,Decatur,TN
Good "responsiveness with technical issues"
Bad "I'm sure there's better values out there."
Overall "Overall, I'm pleased"

I stumbled upon this site and read the very negative TDS reviews.

I've had TDS for my DSL for about 6 years. I've upgraded a couple of times,
and I think I'm now at 5 MPS. I've done speed tests and do get about that
speed for download. Around 1 MPS for upload. I've found the company to be
responsive when I've had technical issues, and occasionally they have had to replace the modem, but overall, I've been very pleased with the company. I'm
currently paying $50/mo. For DSL.

(review was emailed from domain tds.net)

Comments:

Review by LSLBlues See Profile

• Location: Knoxville,Knox,TN
Good "Fantastic speed, rock solid connection, bester internet service I've had"
Overall "If you can get their fiber service get it!"

Absolutely best internet I've had. Very consistenly fast.. No slow times. In the 5 months we've had it I haven't had service go down once. Its not cheap for the 25 Mbit service, but well worth it for me.

• Location: Cypress Inn,Wayne,TN
Good "Reliable phone service"
Bad "Unreliable DSL service tech support is always same ol same ol"

I have TDS dsl service and when it rains, doesn't have to be lightning
in the area, the modem goes off and most of the time will stay off until the
weather clears. It's always the internet light that goes off, the others
blink. I have been on tech support with them and they always go through the
same old check everything in the house. I have it all memorized. Sometimes I
go all day long without service. They say it has to be out of service for 24
continuous hours before they can deduct it from my bill. DSL is high in my
area, and having to pay for something that is off so much when it rains a
lot is ridiculous. The only number we can find for TDS is tech support or
customer service, which neither one can help. Who do you complain to? The
BBB, FCC, or who? I need some answers. TDS headquarters is in Minnesota, I
live in Tennessee, and I've never been able to contact them.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by stewartgrafx See Profile

• Location: South Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
  • Telco party TDS Metrocom
Good "Fast, Cheap, Great support."
Overall "Been with TDS for 10 years!"

$35/ month @ 756kb for years, Got a letter this year saying my modem would be replaced for free.
A couple of months ago I called to get call forwarding turned on and was told I can get a free DSL speed upgrade, Speed jumped to 1800kb for free.
I refuse to deal with Warner Cable(Roadrunner) and went with TDS, Phone always works fine.

Comments:

Review by McGreggor See Profile

• Location: Saluda,Polk,NC
  • Telco party TDS Metrocom
Good "Tech's are nice and friendly"
Bad "Service is terrible. I pay for 6MB and I hardly pull 1MB"
Overall "Only good for email and websurfing"

My family has been a customer of TDS for over 15 years, Always had excellent phone service when it was all they offered. Then we were offered DSL service last year. We never needed it since we had Charter Internet. But when we kept having problems with Charter, we took the DSL offer for a "backup" to Charter.

We get terrible DSL service. We pay for 6MB, and I barley pull 1MB. We've had many techs out here to look at it, but it never gets fixed. One tech blamed it on the neighbors for having an electric fence right beside the underground phone line, but I don't think it's true. Customer service doesn't care, and doesn't show any interest to help us. I'm glad it's a backup, but I hate that we pay this much for a service that hardly works.

Comments:

Review by mmmmna See Profile

• Location: Center Barnstead,Belknap,NH
Good "When it starts sending data, it is fast"
Bad "Latency, lag, delay, whatever it is called, is measured in decimal minutes."
Overall "If you have a choice, TDS needs to be low on the list."

My former telecom (Union Communications) was recently acquired by TDS Telecom. My former DSL was a bundle to Worldpath Internet Services, and was converted to unnamed TDS DSL services.

Interesting is that Worldpath speeds kept slowing over the past few years. Some issues with Worldpath aside from that, so all in all, I figured TDS might be a better situation; in fact, TDS has great moments. Just not very many of them.

1] switchover to TDS included new DSL modem and a new email address. Instructions for setting up the email and TDS account access were missing information (the password) and were difficult to understand (click the administration login. Where is that?), and email setup failed to initialize even with tech support on the phone helping me. I'm not overly stupid, the whole process was just stunningly complex. I also think somebody making the instruction sheet was told to write this up as only 2 steps, when step one was 2 processes of something like 9 steps each, all rolled into step one.

2] I was instructed that after switchover occurred, some adjustments would be made within the first 24-48 hours. Before I had seen 12 hours with my new TDS DSL service, I was retraining every minute or so and could not get speedtest.net to load. For an hour.

3] I called in at 3pm, Friday, but sorry, nobody can go out there until Monday. I see the modem is declaring high amounts of noise on the line, but it is probably the (brand new) modem. Did you install the DSL line filters in the box we sent you? No, the new DSL modem replaces the existing DSL modem that has seen 7.2 Mbps. Well you might need to install the DSL line filters....

4] Monday arrives and 20 minutes before the tech arrives, my speed suddenly jumps from around 2.2 Mbps between retrains, up to 6.2Mbps fairly continuous. Tech arrives, inspects the setup, tells me the cut at the central office was the noise problem, he pulled my wires off the cut switch and hard wired me as I should be in the first place, they have had a lot of problems with cut switches so this is the normal solutions, declares that I'm all set and ultimately he leaves.

5] 24 hours later, I need 10 - 15 seconds after clicking a link until the progress bar STARTS to show loading of data. Data loads fast once the loading starts, but not until after I wait.