TDS page on DSLReports

Review by pgwolf See Profile

• Location: Middleton,Dane,WI
  • Telco party TDS Metrocom
Good "Decent Customer Service"
Bad "TDS wanted me to go away instead of offering a solution; I had to beg for customer service and a solution"
Overall "TDS is installing Fiber, which, when it's finally installed it will be the fastest"

The installation was first class, TDS provided their own branded equipment manufactured by Actiontec. Speed and pricing were considerations, as were the fact that TDS owns the copper in this area and you get better bandwidth with TDS. The speed I ordered was 10mbps for $34.95, I'm barley getting 1mbps, I would love to go to 25mbps but they can't even guarantee 1. If you live in Middleton, check your speed often because chances are you probably aren't getting what you are paying for. The only way to fight back is to hit them where it hurts, the bottom line, that's the only thing big corporations understand anymore. TDS has terrible infrastructure in Middleton, WI and is aware of it (even though they receive government subsidies to keep it up), I have been receiving credits on my service since August 2010 and a solution was supposed to be in place in September 2010. It’s March 2011 and I am still waiting for a solution. TDS Installed Fiber conduit in July 2010, however never followed through installing the actual cable. I would love to have more speed. And even worse, the competition Charter Cable, is giving away free speed upgrades in the same area. They can give me more speed right now, but down the road they have no plan to upgrade their equipment to fiber and will probably use TDS's when they finally get it in They're using cable TV as opposed to phone infrastructure now. Waiting for Fiber is my plan, and since TDS is on the verge of having fiber to my house will have to continue to wait. I for one will also welcome the competition that comes with fiber, such as AT&T Uverse, that keeps the competition in check. So yea I could switch, but I lose my "package" pricing, and will still switch to AT&T anyway when fiber is finally here, so why get into another 2 year contract.

Comments:

Review by preacher8 See Profile

• Location: Waynesboro,Wayne,TN
Good "local techs friendly and helpful"
Bad "phone \"
Overall "avoid at all costs"

*I am a veteran of eleven years of TDS "service"

That includes dial-up internet for 7 or 8 years until they finally
established some sort of ersatz dsl for those of us living in the
boondocks of southwestern Tennessee. This usually is faster than 14.4
dial-up and costs only twice as much ($50./mo) as 10mb dsl or cable
--where it's available. Our only alternative here is satellite.

During the two years I've "enjoyed" this so-called dsl, it has worked as
well as one could expect about half the time. For example, during the
past two weeks (since Feb 1, more or less) it has been dead slow or
totally down about half the time. Service is abysmal ...that is to say,
the call-in "assistance" one can get, the speed of response, and the
effectiveness of response. I do want to say that the local technicians,
repairmen, whatever they are called these days, are pleasant, helpful
(within their limitations), and do their best.

Despite on-going problems of the same basic nature, every time I call, I
have to go through the same old nonsense. First and foremost, it's
always my fault: my computer, my wall jack, my this, that, and the
other. It is NEVER even possible that the equipment is failing. That
mentality is so frustrating, I hate to even call them. It's better for
my health to send them an email....but when the dsl is down, that's tricky.

I saw someone else said: Don't use TDS if there is any alternative.
amen to that......and maybe even if there's no alternative. TDS:
Totally Dismal Service

Comments:

Review by VazDrae See Profile

• Location: Black Earth,Dane,WI
  • Telco party TDS Metrocom
Good "Its not to expensive."
Bad "Constantly lags, was fast now slow."
Overall "Its okay, but isnt working properly anymore, very sluggish speeds sometimes."

When we first signed up for the bottom line DSL it was pretty fast. Now 4 or 5 years later after upgrading to faster speeds, it goes slower. Drops down to 1Mbps all the time. Web pages get stuck "loading" for a long time.. they are just blank, then several minutes later pop in. Tested this on many different computers and devices; from PCs to Macs to Linux machines, and to devices like my Android phone, to my iPod.. same thing. Its really frustrating. I dont want to write this review, i personally like TDS as a a company. I just dont get what is going on.

Comments:

Review by d00d92 See Profile

• Location: Chili,Clark,WI
Good "."
Bad "."
Overall "."

Comments:

Review by MikeTest See Profile

• Location: Corinna,Penobscot,ME
Good "Reliable, Reasoable Cost, Great Tech Support"
Bad "rare slowdowns"
Overall "Good Value!"

The whole process from start to finish has been very good!

Comments:

Review by aandd See Profile

• Location: Pewaukee,Waukesha,WI
Good "LOCAL SUPPORT"
Bad "None yet - Have had them as a provider for over 5 years."
Overall "Good choice in area"

Amazing LOCAL qualified tech support by phone. Had a connectivity problem that, based on FAQs on support page, pointed to modem. Tech I worked with took time to perform other tests and found I had an inside line problem which he stayed on the line until we traced to the Dmark. He sent out a new modem anyway as well. Speed is important, cost is a big deal, but this kind of LOCAL support is priceless!

Comments:

Review by b00mQQ See Profile

• Location: Lebanon,Boone,IN
  • Telco party TDS Metrocom
Good "Good Pricing & Friendly Customer Service"
Bad "Terrible bandwidth, definitely not up to par with other internet providers"
Overall "Only get TDS if it's the only provider in your area"

Over the last 10 years I've been using broadband internet providers TDS is by far the worst I have experienced. While their pricing and customer service is pretty competitive, the same can't be said about their internet service. You never know when you're going to get good bandwidth or not, and more often than not the actual throughput received is as slow as if not slower than a 56k modem connected at about 33.6kbps.

For 3 months now I've been fighting 2 pretty serious issues with my internet. The most notable is the terrible and unstable internet speeds. One day you may be getting 2.5mbit of the 6mbit I'm subscribed to, and other days I'm lucky to get 1mbit of the 6mbit I'm supposed to get -- hell, right now I'm lucky to get 0.5mbit, and that is...absurd.

Downloading a network driver for my network interface downloads at about 12kb/s -- about the speed of a dual duplex ISDN connection. It just doesn't make sense to me considering my pings are actually decent. I've done everything I know to do to get more out of my connection, including disconnecting all devices from the network except for my computer, and monitoring my bandwidth to make sure nothing on my computer is eating up my bandwidth, and the speed is STILL that bad!

The bottom line here is don't bother with TDS unless it's your only option for broadband, becaise you will be pulling your hair out when you get on the computer after work only to find out the only thing you can do is check your e-mail, and more often than not just doing that is a chore in itself.

member for 4 years, 1 visits, last login: 4 years ago

Comments:

Review by Island Jeff See Profile

• Location: Beaver Island,Charlevoix,MI
Good "Simply amazing to have low-latency broadband at last"
Bad "Not wild about the actiontec modem's firewall/setup/documentation but works ok"
Overall "Simply Excellent! THANK YOU to TDS for providing this"

~~~ 04/05/10 Update ~~~

TDS upgraded our local dsl system and microwave radio link, allowing the upgrade from 3.0 mbps down / 512 kbps up (from 2008 to 2010) to 10.0 mbps down / 768 kbps up!

Latency has also been reduced so we now have a 20 to 25 ms ping to Chicago for example.

The TDS DSL here has been rock solid from 2008 to 2010 and now I'm even happier with the increased speed. Especially the upload speed is nice to have. The people at TDS are a real pleasure to deal with as well. THANK YOU TDS!

~~~ 12/27/08 Update ~~~

Received a system PM prompting me to update the review. Nothing much to report -- I've used the system heavily these past months and am still 100% satisfied. Great service at what I feel is a fair price for this market. Rock solid system as good now as the day it was installed. Thank you TDS.

~~~ Original Review ~~~

I've only been a TDS DSL customer for 1 day now, but after waiting for this for 8 years on Satellite (Starband, Wildblue), couldn't contain my excitement on finally re-entering the 21st century. TDS DSL is simply amazing compared to any other option ever available here (with the exception of T1s at $800-$1100/month)

Thank you TDS!

Added: I have now been on TDS DSL for a month and a half and am extremely impressed -- being online ~8 hours per day, I have not witnessed a single glitch, disconnect, slowness, etc. It has been flawless. I expected good service, but with a brand new service here actually expected some issues. I'm blown away by not only how quick the connection is but how rock solid reliable it has been. Well done TDS! Updating rating because in the scope of things install and tech seem better than 4/5. (I'd like to see the rating options be more granular than 1/2/3/4/5 as the results are then displayed in percentage; I'm now giving install and tech support a 5 because they were a whole lot better than 80%. Previously I had given them a 4 because I would have liked to see the paperwork shipped with the modem instead of separate as mine lagged behind by a day causing confusion (which number the dsl was setup on where we had more than one line) and related, to get a simple answer there was some hold time involved. But these issues are really minor and don't warrant knocking 20% off, so I wish there was something between 4 (80%) and 5 (100%) possible to give... I'd honestly give them 100% on presales, reliability, services, and value, 95% on install co-ordination, and 90% on tech support.)

member for 9.1 years, 1666 visits, last login: 3.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by erikjohns See Profile

• Location: La Center,Clark,WA
Good "Connection rarely goes down"
Bad "Not reaching advertised speeds"
Overall "As much as I hate Comcast, I think it may now be a better deal"

Upgraded from the 1.5 Mb/sec speed to 10. Speed at first was rock solid - 10 Mb/sec or ever a little faster. Over time the speed has degraded. I now probably average closer to 3 Mb/sec, sometimes as low as 1.5. Calls into their tech support so for have not been fruitful - an hour of debugging things that I had already tried. My case was supposed to be referred to a senior tech, and I was supposed to be contacted - but it has been 3 weeks now and I have not. It looks like I have to start the process all over again. We'll see if they do the right thing and offer me a credit for getting less than what I have been paying for the last 3 months.

Comments:

Review by cvig See Profile

• Location: Monroe,Green,WI
Good "Excellent speeds, no capacity issues, great latency, good value."
Bad "Can be expensive for fastest service on fiber to the home."
Overall "Solid value, good service: I wish every company was like this..."

I've had the TDS 25 MB down, 10 MB up fiber to the home service in Monroe, Wisconsin for more than a year. It has always met my expectations. My need to call support have been minimal. The only thing that has occasionally come up is that sometimes TDS DNS servers are flakey so consider using OpenDNS or Google DNS. One symptom of this is that the website just plain doesn't load so be on your toes. I've only noticed it once or twice and haven't bothered to go through the work of reporting the issue.

I am happy with the service. As with any service, there are some slight issues and of course I wish it was cheaper but I consider it to be a solid value. Nobody else gives 10 MB up for this price. I wish I could get the same level of service in Chicago.