2Fast Communications WireWeb now Internet America page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by jstelzer See Profile

• Location: Helotes,Bexar,TX
Good "Only broadband service available in rural NW San Antonio area."
Bad "Intermittent reliability/speeds, tech support problems never resolved"
Overall "I use them because I have to if i want anything resembling 'broadband'"

I have used Internet America, previously 2Fast(lol) Communications, for about 4-5 years now. I live about 20 miles NW of San Antonio and their wireless service is the only thing available for broadband. Actually, I'm sure satellite is available but online gaming is my hobby and that makes it out of the question.

I have never had anything approaching what I would consider fast speeds (for broadband). At full bore I get about 65kbps d/l speeds.

Over the last 4 years my service has--and I'm estimating--about a 95% 'up time'. That may sound good but we are talking around 75 days with no working service. They are constantly having problems with a nearby relay tower--at least that is what I'm told.

Even when the service is up though I still have problems...the most annoying of which is the day to day connectivity. As I mentioned above my hobby is online gaming. Most of my time gaming is spent from 8pm in the evening until at least midnight. My connection will 'time out' so that I get disconnected from games and voice chat programs (at the same time both get dropped). This usually last about 30-40 seconds and then it comes back up. It happens anywhere from 1-4 times an hour. It may be more but I'll quit for the night if it happens more than 4 times or so.

This is terribly frustrating as I have to reconnect to voice chat and whatever game I'm playing at the time. For those who understand: try raiding in World of Warcraft like this..it just doesn't work.

Worse still is when I call technical support (in Dallas) to be told that they can see/ping my connection just fine and there is no problem. If I push them I can sometimes get them to notice the drops but that is only if it happens while they are pinging my radio. I go through the same process every call:

Them: 'Well sir, I can see your radio fine...'
Me: 'Yes I know you can but nonetheless I'm still getting dropped'
Them: 'Have you tried rebooting your radio/router, removing your router, etc'
Me: 'Yes I've done all that multiple times, the problem is still there'

I have called perhaps 50 times over the last 4 years. I've attempted to escalate the problem..all to no avail.

Before they became Internet America, 2Fast (lol) would sometimes send a tech out to look at the equipment. I've had it changed out completely. The problem remains.

It appears at this point my options are to either give up gaming or move into town.

I don't know if they just don't have the capability to fix the problem or if they don't care enough since I appear to be the only squeaky wheel. I suspect that they don't get too many complaints on the day to day issues as this is mostly transparent when you are simply browsing sites. It only shows up when streaming data.

If I somehow get some resolution I will update this review.

UPDATE: I have been contacted by a regional manager from Internet America who has given me some explanation as to why my issues are occurring and what they are planning to do to resolve them.

I appreciate the contact but must say I wish it didn't come to this for it to happen. Nonetheless I will give them ample time to resolve the issue and will certainly follow up here when that happens.

Comments:

Review by harold4187 See Profile

• Location: Bandera,Bandera,TX
Good "Wireless is avalible at lake medina shores"
Bad "it works only part time"
Overall "not happy yet"

I just installed this two weeks ago. I had direcway and was so tired of there jerk off i was willing to go with anything.
They did a quick install but the wireless tower was down when the install was done.
The tech left before the tower was up and the internet was no up and running when he left. I work out of state and have been playing phone tag trying to get it working right. It constantly go on and off. My son said it was down 2 hours last night.
When you call tech support you are always on hold for five minutes and then get voice mail. i have yet to talk to a live person after two weeks of trying.
my up speeds are 210 down speeds are 310 .i think the reciever on the house is bad.
Hopefully when i get back in town it will get fixed.

Comments:

Review by misabasaboru See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "Wireless works for me"
Bad "None yet."
Overall "These people have put together a solid service."

I recently moved to an area that could not get DSL and I do not have cable. I was using Wireweb DSL at my old location and found that they had a wireless solution for my area. I ordered it and it was installed the next week. Speeds are similar to my old ADSL service (700-1000k), but uploads are faster, in the 512k area.

Hardware/installation charges are a little steep, ($300/$100), but the performance has been solid for the past 1-1/2 months. I was a little apprehensive about this, but Wireweb's staff seemed to be candid in telling me that some locations either could not get service, or it might be inconsistent, and that I had 30 days to decide whether or not to keep it. We had some REALLY bad rain in early July and I thought if I was going to have a problem it would have been then, but no downtime at all during the heaviest rains and wind.

I wish I could have kept my ADSL, but this seems to be a nice alternative when there is not ADSL (or cable) available.

Comments:

Review by xiyiz See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
  • Telco party Southwestern Bell
Good "CUSTOM CUSTOM CUSTOM!!!"
Bad "recently outsourced their tech support ..."
Overall "Whatever your current ISP won't do ... Wireweb will!"

I read another customer review here that listed "Bad: they must use swbell's lines" or something ... and I'd like to let you in on the fact that ALL DSL providers in the area are forced to use Bell's lines Ok, on with the review ..

I've been a wireweb customer for about 8 months now, and before that I "attempted" to use southwestern bell's service for almost a year. I think my favorite part about wireweb is the lack of bureaucracy. If a problem arises, I don't have to deal with 15-20 different people in different departments, in different states. Instead, I get to know nearly the entire wireweb staff on a first-name basis

I currently use 1.5Mb ADSL with an Efficient Networks bridge, and a set of static IP addy's. I believe that wireweb's service comes stock with an internal modem, but I still had the bridge left over from swbell's service. I ordered ADSL service from wireweb the very week they made it available (Nov '00), and *they* had it all ready to go within 2 weeks. However, swbell decided to keep feeding their own service through my line, although they continued to deny me access to it (and to this day they're still trying to charge me!). So that caused an extra week delay.

Then there was the bridge ... even with conflicting information from EN's support line, the friendly people at wireweb were determined to get their network set up so I could use my existing hardware. One week after this, my service was up, and it's been up ever since!

I usually measure at about 400k dn and 100k up ... these might seem low, but I'd like to point out that I live in a crowded apartment complex with shoddy lines, and about as far from the nearest swbell repeater as possible (didn't get a chance to research that before moving here). So that turns out to be a really fast speed =P

Comparably, when I used swbell, the speed was only about 100k dn and 20k up, and it cost $80/mo!

Oh yah, the pricing ... ok here's what i pay: $39 for the dsl service, $5 extra for a set of 6 static addresses! it's unlimited upload, unlimited download, several email addresses, and they don't add on charges for running your own webserver (with 4 domains), or using your maximum alotted bandwidth.

The only recent change that I don't agree with is the outsourcing of wireweb's tech support ... it's perfectly fine for ordinary users who only browse websites, or have trouble setting up their network stuff ... but for real issues, an external team just doesn't have the answers. A recent example:

A couple weeks ago, my boyfriend and I noticed our service becoming unreasonably slow (nearly stopping), every night around 9pm until about 8am. Since the main office is closed during those times, only the external support was available, and "clearing the cache" simply wasn't gonna do it. We were a little upset, but it was fixed instantly as soon as we remembered to call the office during the day =P It turned out that our line was experiencing a *large* excess of noise (from the overcrowding of the apartment complex), and the guys at wireweb were able to reconfigure our settings on-the-spot at their equipment to compensate for it. It's been beautiful ever since I have a feeling that if we'd still been with swbell, it would have been months before anything was done, if at all.

The wonderful guys at wireweb are also brutally honest about their server info. Whenever ANYTHING even slightly affects ANY of their servers, or more than a couple customers, they send out a brief notice describing the problem and explaining what's being done to correct it.

I LOVE THESE GUYS! (sorry for writing a novel ... hope it's been helpful!)

member for 13.3 years, 13 visits, last login: 11.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by gary_zw0 See Profile

• Location: Seguin,Guadalupe,TX
  • Telco party Southwestern Bell
  • CLEC party:
Good "Fast Speed, Friendly people"
Bad "They must use SWB lines"
Overall "If you can get Cable go with that"

I dropped DSL I'm using RoadRunner Cable now I like it alot better speeds are much faster and better Tech support.

member for 13.6 years, 67 visits, last login: 10.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by texoffroad See Profile

• Location: Seguin,Guadalupe,TX
Good "Friendly people to help, great connection, and a super deal."
Bad "Took a little longer than expected to get some loop installed."
Overall "GREAT DEAL!"

WireWeb is the best DSL provider I've found.

member for 13.8 years, 123 visits, last login: 5.7 years ago