I-2000, Inc page on DSLReports

Review by devideman See Profile

• Location: Astoria,Queens,NY
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Rock solid connection, great tech support, friendly customer rep"
Bad "none yet"
Overall "so far so good, nothing bad to report"

I recently switched to I-2000 after Fastpoint went bankrupt. I was an INYC customer who was given a resold Fastpoint line. I checked out the reviews here on DSL Reports and found I-2000, a company located in New York City. I did not want to get a national ISP because the customer service rep would not be the same each time you call, thus no personal attention.

I called I-2000 a few days before my line was to be disconnected, and Chris Scott, who answered the phone, faxed the ISP switch form over to me. It took a few days for me to get my Covad circuit number from INYC though. After I received my circuit number, I called Chris and he submitted my ISP switch to Covad.

The switch was completed by Friday night the same week my ISP switch was submitted. I submitted the request on Tuesday. Unfortunately, no one was in the office after 5pm or during the weekends. I went through the weekend without internet access

(back to the days before internet and broadband ; ) ) On MOnday, I called I-2000 and I got my internet connection up.

I was given interesting information about my DSL line before I dot my DSL service from I-2000. When I first ordered DSL from INYC, I ordered 384/128 ADSL. I thought I receiving that for the past year. When I called I-2000, they told me it was actually an SDSL line. I was shocked. When I submitted the order to I-2000, I ordered the 1.5MB/384K ADSL. Unfortunately, I would have to wait about 2 weeks if I wanted that. Chris told me I could upgrade to 768/768 SDSL for $80 a month. I found that to be a bargain. I took a day before me speed was increased.

I've been testing my line speed everyday and the speed isaverages 610/620, and I have tweaked my registry according to Navas. I'm satisfied with the speed I'm getting. I downloaded a 22MB CounterStrike Update in about 3 minutes.

The tech support is excellent. The tech is very thorough and uses the DSLR Tweak test to help diagnose configuration problems, if any. I only needed to talk to twice so far, once to get the DNS server addresses, and the second time to see why I can only get 80% on my purchased line speed.

Normally, they charge $258 for 768/768 SDSL with static IP. I have 768/768 SDSL with Dynamic IP, but I only pay $80 a month. Comparing the prices, it is a great value for the money.

I will update this review if anything changes.

*Update 1-20-03*

Nothing bad to say about this provider. Other than my connection being down the week after the September 11 attacks, which was not I-2000's fault, service has been smooth.

member for 13.6 years, 380 visits, last login: 10.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by Bnearme See Profile

• Location: Englewood,Bergen,NJ
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "These guys rock, if you live in NJ or NY and want the best Customer Service GO i-2000!"
Bad "There are none"
Overall "Great value, knowledgeable staff, same day e-mail support turn around and 5 minute hold times!"

First and foremost, I have never seen better service in the industry and I'm a DSL veteran! I have had Verizon, Earthlink, Flashcom, Speakeasy and let me say this, this small private company knows there stuff and their service is unbelievable!. I am a deaf DSL user and went through the chaos of Speakeasy rollover and horrible ping times with them so I had to dump them as an ISP.. I spoke with i-2000 sales department and they returned my e-mail within 10 minutes! Just to be on the safe side, I messaged their tech support because being deaf the phone wasnt an option for me.. They answered my tech page within 20 minutes of sending! The entire staff rolls up their sleeves to make sure you get connected, they are knowledgeable and their product rocks! Here are the specs..Migrated at 684/128 successfully in 5 days, would have been sooner except Covad botched the job.. was resolved in a day! Customer support went so far as to have a tech meet me in an AOL chat to help me get my settings right! Im also upgrading to a 1.5/385 line for 79 a month! Most of my ping times are under 60 m/s and the bandwidth is there! They are a teir 2 ISP and I rank them at an 11 out of 10!

Its a fresh breath of air in an industry full of hot air Especially helpful was the residential DSL supervisor names Christopher.. He had worked with me at all stages of getting my line back up and can honestly say business person to business person that his level of integrity and professionalism have made my month! Thanks guys you rock!

GO i-2000, you WONT be dissapointed.

Comments:

Review by gwhitney See Profile

• Location: East Setauket,Suffolk,NY
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "First ISP (out of three) that actually got me service; direct customer of Covad"
Bad "Dynamic IP address (although they say they almost never change them)"
Overall "They are an apparently competent ISP for Covad in the NY area -- a rarity!"

After nightmares with Teliquest and Network Access Corp. (see reviews), I2000 was my last attempt to get Covad DSL before I ditched the entire thing. They seemed to have everything except static IP addresses: good local POP, $49.95/month for 608/128, direct business relationship with Covad, no contract commitment for ISP switch customer, easy to reach relatively knowledgeable individuals.

And in fact, the set-up went reasonably smooth:

Fri, Sep 29: Placed order after minor, easy negotiation on details of the contract they sent the previous day. "Chris" there called later that day saying they needed my Covad circuit ID#. I had no way of obtaining this, since Teliquest is essentially impossible to reach. So I called Covad, who would not release it to me, saying I'm not their customer. When I complained, they referred me to Verizon, who referred me back to Covad. The second time through with Covad they said they would release the circuit ID# to my new ISP, under the circumstances. I called Chris with this news, who said he'd take care of it.

Tuesday, October 3: Chris calls me to tell me they got the circuit ID# and in fact everything should be working. But alas, after trying several times that evening to get an IP address via DHCP, I could not get any response or any internet connectivity.

Wednesday, October 4: I call Chris with this news, who directs me to tech support, who give me a couple of things to try that night, and who also tell me to leave the DSL modem on when I leave

for work the next day. Their suggestions don't help, no connectivity that night.

Thursday, October 5: Talking to the same tech support guy, he tries to reach my DSL modem from their end, but in fact can't even reach the DSLAM in my central office. (Something he could have tried the day before, but I don't really blame him, as I expect 90% of initial connectivity problems are minor mistakes on the user's setup.) Turns out Covad didn't actually redirect their circuit to connect them to me. He says they'll get on it.

Tuesday, October 10: Chris calls to tell me it's all set, and in fact, on the first try that night, I get

a response via DHCP and internet connectivity. Yay, I hope this is the end of a four-month nightmare

involving two other ISPs. The Mac utility "whatroute" shows reasonable latency on the connection (average of 30ms for the first hop to I2000), and the speed test here at this site reports an observed speed of 520/110, which seems close enough to the nominal 608/128 to me.

I can't yet report n their reliability, ongoing technical support, etc., but they really seemed to care whether I had connectivity, unlike the first two places I tried, and they called me instead of the other way around, which I see as a very good sign. If I have more news as I use them over time, I'll post it here.

Update 20 Feb 2001: I've now had I-2000 internet service for 4 months. Never once has my Internet connectivity been down because of a problem on their part. Because of that, I've had very little interaction with I-2000, which I see as a good thing. My only complaint is that they've never sent me any kind of acknowledgement, statement, information about my account either physically or by email.

So my only communication with them is the monthly charge on my credit card. In fact, I never received any information on how to set up email accounts, a web page, etc., I had to call to ask them about these services which are provided as part of my contract with them. However, when I did call, I reached someone knowledgeable extremely quickly.

member for 14.1 years, 17 visits, last login: 13.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by abmand See Profile

• Location: Roslyn Heights,Nassau,NY
Good "Fast, stable, reliable, never fails"
Bad "none"
Overall "a great service"

I have had i-2000 DSL for about 8 moths and I love it. The speed I ordered was 1500/384. On the speed tests it shows 1300/310. I have never had any problems with it and it has never failed with me. I think its a great service.

member for 13.8 years, 62 visits, last login: 12.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by jbay See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Connection is pretty rock-solid. Have been online with their DSL for 15 months."
Bad "Dynamic IP's assigned via DHCP"
Overall "Despite being a smaller company, i2000 seems pretty solid."

This is a 384 SDSL line, set up very, very early in Covad/I2000's residential offerings (i.e., I got a letter in the mail from i2000 that said "if you want DSL, sign here"...I took a gamble & did, and have been happy ever since).

Order process was fairly smooth (save for poor Bell Atlantic installer taking about 2 hours to find out where my second pair went once it exited the house...and this was so early in the rollout of DSL I had to explain to the BA guy what DSL was...yikes...). Usual silly stuff with a BA installer coming one day, a Covad installer coming another day, and having to call i2000 to have the circuit turned up. Nobody ever said the last-mile was going to be easy...

Have had a couple of occasions to call their offices for billing confusion or minor technical problems, in all cases I've reached somebody who could dispatch the problem/complaint/change either on the first call (with little or no on-hold time) or somebody has called me back very quickly.

Only drawback for me is lack of static IP, but that's not really a big deal for me since this is a residential line.

I don't use their mail/dns/news services, can't comment on those.

member for 13.8 years, 24 visits, last login: 10.4 years ago

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "They used to have great customer service (ie before I got DSL)"
Bad "They try to charge you for a free installation. They never contact you regrading your problems status."
Overall "They need to get more organized and work out their contractual relationships with Covad and Bell Atlantic"

i-2000 is a provider that is not well know but has been a great provider
till now, when I got DSL.

The problem is that they use Covad for the DSL service, and Covad must
use Bell Atlantic for the lines and repairs. The big problem in the
chain is Bell Atlantic, (who I recently stopped using as a telephone
provider because they overcharge, charge for everything, and provide the
worst service).

In this DSL drama of mine, I lost my connection one day suddenly and
called my provider to resolve. After days and then a week I called them
(because they didn't call me) and they explained how they had to talk to
Covad first. If Covad resolved that it was not a problem with THEIR
system, Covad (not my provider) would in turn have to call Bell Atlantic
to arrange a time to come to my house....BUT...and here is the
catch....Bell Atlantic has to make the arrangements with Covad who has
to make the arrangements with i-2000 who has to make the arrangements
with me. How about that shit!

To make a long story short I HAD NO DSL FOR A MONTH because of this
protocall, and my provider maybe twice kept me up to date with what was
going on. Now one week after my DSL was restored, and having been
visited this month by Covad and Bell Atlantic, and having left countless
e-mails and voice messages with my provider....MY DSL WENT DOWN AGAIN!

My last message to my provider was this:
I-2000 staff,
I now have NO dsl connection at all...... again. I will not waste any
of my time calling. You have all of my work, home, cell numbers and
e-mails
through the numerous e-mails, telephone conversations and messages I
have
left over the past month. When your company decides that they want to
collect from and provide dsl service I will begin to pay for that
service.
I can be reached at the same numbers.

(review was emailed from domain i-2000.com)

Comments:

Review by GTeye See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY

Speed: 1.1mbit SDSL
Equipment: Flowpoint 2200-12
DSL Provider: Covad
IP Assignment: Block of 32

When DSL first became available in my area I scouted out all the ISP's who were offering it. I-2000 was always quick and accurate with any information that I requested.

I used them for dialup service before the DSL and it was extremely reliable as well.

The tech support is some of the best I have ever dealt with. On the rare occasion that I require service the tech department was very knowledgable and NEVER tried to pass the buck along to someone else. This is something you will find with most ISP's. It's never a fault on their end but always the DSL circuit or the phone company.

Unlike most ISP's I have dealt with the tech's actually know what they are doing. Being a network administrator I also like the fact that they do not talk to people like they are brain dead, again something most ISP's will do.

Installation was exactly as promised as far as equipment and delivery time and the speed is 100% reliable 24/7.

My only complaint is that they want to charge me to set up reverse dns entries if I host more than 3 domains. Something I do not understand since an entry is an entry when it comes to reverse DNS.

I highly suggest to anyone who does go with DSL from any company to go with Covad. They are worth the extra money by far.

Comments:

Review by Rydor

• Location: Brightwaters,Suffolk,NY

Name
-Bill Dahab
Speed
-384/176
Process
-Install process was good except no one was at the Covad office (their network supplier) to set up my account. I had it the next day.
Equip
-Modem, network card, ethernet cables
IP
-Dynamic
Speed
-Yup
Support
-Wonderful. Always answered phones and responded to e-mail quickly
Experiences
-Good, the technision came early, nice guy, quick installation date
-Bad, No one at the covad office. Not a very likely event for the future.

I'd definatly recommend this company, and it is very cheap

(review was emailed from domain dahab.com)

Comments:

Review by kriztufer

• Location: Metuchen,Middlesex,NJ

-What DSL speed did you order?
384/128 ADSL

-How was the order/install process?
The install was a little slow, but that was due to Bell Atlantic's screw ups

-DSL Equipment?
I recieved a free Ethernet card, and DSL modem

-Static, dynamic IP or PPPoE?
My IP is obtained through DHCP

-Is the speed as you purchased?
Yes is it. And I love it!

-Technical support?
Available 24 hours a day

-bad/good experiences?
Bad= dealing with Bell Atlantic
Good= reliable, fast connection, good value

(review was emailed from domain yahoo.com)

Comments:

Review by kriztufer

• Location: Metuchen,Middlesex,NJ

-What DSL speed did you order?
384/128 ADSL

-How was the order/install process?
The install was a little slow, but that was due to Bell Atlantic's screw ups

-DSL Equipment?
I recieved a free Ethernet card, and DSL modem

-Static, dynamic IP or PPPoE?
My IP is obtained through DHCP

-Is the speed as you purchased?
Yes is it. And I love it!

-Technical support?
Available 24 hours a day

-bad/good experiences?
Bad= dealing with Bell Atlantic
Good= reliable, fast connection, good value

(review was emailed from domain yahoo.com)