Mpower Communications page on DSLReports

Review by CPOA See Profile

• Location: Arcadia,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party SBC
Good "Save me lots $$$"
Bad "Wished I knew it earlier"
Overall "I'm an broker for Mpower, check out my prices before going any where else"

If your looking for a better price, give me a call: 626.437.7347. I saved lots of people money. All it takes is a call away. Mpower carries different applications; they fit the cusotmer's needs. From the small to the large end cusomters. Tell me what you need and I will fit you to the best plan. I will tell you like it is. I will write out a quote and this is exactly what I will write out on the contract. No games; just like the way it's suppose to be. Give me a call.

Comments:

Review by raitchison See Profile

• Location: Northridge,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party SBC
Good "None"
Bad "Shady sales rep, pushy sales mgr, bully tactics, disorganization, stupidity"
Overall "This is an example of why CLEC is a four letter word"

**This is a long one but you better read it if you are considering switching to Mpower**

Sales rep came calling offering a "package deal including all local & long distance as well as SDSL for a "low low price". The sales rep even "guaranteed" a full 1024k up/down speed and wrote it on the contract.

I was extremely clear of my requirements: 4 public static IPs, that the working fine for the past 6 years Pac Bell line was going to stay in at least long enough to switch all the NS records over to the new IPs and ensure the circuit worked.

As sonn as the contract was singed it was clear they were at best clueless. Even though I explicitly stated that I needed multiple static IP addresses to host services (DNS, Mail, WWW, etc) every time I called to try to set up the install they had a very difficult time getting past the thought that I was trying to assign an IP to every workstation in the office, kept asking me about what OS I was running and telling me about this new fangled technology called Network Address Translation

Once they were finally convinced that I needed 4 IPs and was in fact promised them they got stuck on the idea that they needed to terminate the Pac Bell DSL in order to even install theirs. Even after I explained to them that the Pac Bell DSL was staying for a while they had Pac Bell run new copper to the MPOE but not install a new jack, when I called the on that they said it was because the new line was of course going to use the jack the Pac Bell DSL was using now.

We ended up paying a wiring guy to run a new line & jack for their DSL, with them calling every other day pestering us on when we were going to get it done. After the new jack was in we scheduled the install for a weekday between 9am and 2pm, I was there until 3pm and had to leave, they came at 3:30. After we rescheduled they finally did the install.

The inintial speed was more like 300 up/down, comaplaining got it to 700 up/down, admittedly twice as fast as the Pac Bell upstream but half the speed of the Pac Bell downstream. Still nowhere near the promised 1024 up/down we were "guaranteed".

The new status is that they are claiming that the guarantees handwritten on the contract are unenforcable and unless we allow them to terminate all our Pac Bell voice & data circuits on our behalf they will cancel our contract and charge us more than $7000 as a cancellation fee ($300/mo x 24mo)

Honestly I don't have a clue why they are being so insistent that the Pac Bell circuits are terminated.

Comments:

Review by srive1 See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "none"
Bad "so many bad points that there is not enough room on this line to list them"
Overall "Go to Afganistan, get tortured and beat to death, and you will be better off than doing business with MPower"

I had nothing but bad experiences with MPower. Every opportunity they had the bill was screwed up. I think I spent more time on the telephone with them trying to get my bill straight than I spent time sleeping. They would cash payment checks and not credit them to the account. After finally being fed up, I changed to another company and then after that I fought with them for two years. No matter what documentation I showed them, they did what they wanted to do and didn't care. 99% of the time they would defer calls to a different person who didn't know what was going on. They would constantly say that the office that needed to handle any corrections or errors was in Nevada and when I would call the number they gave me for Nevada, they would say that it had to be handled locally in Los Angeles. They hired a collection firm to harass us - and the collection company threatened us with physical harm saying they would come down to our office and beat up the employees if we didn't pay the bill ($420.00).

My personal experience and advice is that you be very careful if you decide to do business with MPower.

Comments:

Review by rviradia See Profile

• Location: Atlanta,Fulton,GA
  • Telco party Florida Digital Network
  • CLEC party: MPower Communications
Good "Mpower used to be good, FDN is bad"
Bad "Florida Digial Network took over Mpower and service went downhill"
Overall "poor routing, terrible reliability"

When we signed up with Mpower service was great, fast and reliable, then Florida Digial Network buys them out and moves everyone to their network and reliability and routing have gone down hill, I used to get less then 8ms pings to our 2 local data centers here in Atlanta, now I get 50ms because I'm now being routed through Texas & DC!!, they say nothing is wrong. On top of that they've had to replace our netopia modem/router 3 times now because it's gone bad.

Oh well, I'm leaving them now and going to try earthwave.

Comments:

Review by dereklarson See Profile

• Location: Long Beach,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party Verizon
  • CLEC party: MPower Communications
Good "Super Value $95 for 1.54MB T1, hosting DNS, 16 IP's"
Bad "NONE, zip , Zero"
Overall "$495 T-1, Great Sales guy. A+++++ Tech Support"

If you are interested in getting more for less, call mpower @ 562 235-0150. Saved me $500 on phone bill, so essiently got my T-1 for FREEEEEEE!!!!!!

member for 11.9 years, 13 visits, last login: 10.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by oomega1 See Profile

• Location: Arcadia,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party MPower Communications
Good "Sales is good and takes care of you."
Bad "Tech support sucks and people who came to install was no good."
Overall "Lies a lot to me and customer service has too many departments that they can't help you."

I had a good link with my sales person. But i've only been installed two days now. Bad thing is when he connected my dsl he disconnected all my phone lines. I found out later after he left he plucked out all my phone lines and took the jack that my phone was connected in. I took out the phone so they could install it there. I went to look at the outside and inside wiring. The outside was all okay, i even called sbc to see what my options were. The cut lines were from inside as it was shown to me. Mpower said they were willing to reinburst me, which i called again and they are not willing to(the department that take cares of reinburstment). As using this for business my phone line was more important to me. And yet they still are telling me that it is my problem and that i can't prove that its their fault. Shit they took the jack! i had my phone on! isn't that proof enough that the dsl shouldn't even be there in the first place? They are still blaming it on me. And i told them i can't stay with mpower like this cause they are trying to ruin my business. They told me that if i canceled with them that i would be charged penalties. I guess i may have to talk to my lawyer and work things out with them. Not good business practices. The supervisors were of no help. I suggest that if you have any problems mpower could yet be the worse case ever. They wont even come out to fix the problem. Even some of them said it was their fault. I had a lady tell me i had to prove it and that they always blame them and sbc doesn't know what they are doing. The installer for my dsl was VINCE. He denys that he has done anything wrong and some of mpower techs continues to say its all my fault and my problem while some say yea its most likely their fault and to get reinburst. Anyways either mpower is gonna fix it in a timely matter which is now! cause they wont even schedule something and work something out for me. I have to say their tech and customer service is the worse ever. Vince is still saying there is no need to come out and that its my fault. To mpower customers are somewhat always wrong and that its always other people's fault. I see why people have so many complains about fixing services with mpower. SUPPORT SUCKS @$$ with mpower.

Comments:

Review by thebeerman See Profile

• Location: Tustin,Orange,CA
Good "Exccellent Service"
Bad "No bad point I can think of"
Overall "best service for the best prices"

If you live in Southern California and DOn't use this service then you are MISSING OUT! My rep, his name is Mark Cherney, came in and presented the company to me in a manner that was professional and just made plain sense. I was a little skeptical, but now I AM A BELIEVER! I ordered a trunk that's flat rate! No lata calls! and a full data T1 for only $495.00! Where else can you find that? Plus he is the best rep..he basically followed up with me throughout the entire process and to this day I can call, he answers my call and helps me with any questions I have.

So if you want more information on MPower call Mark..he's the best.

Hers his info.

Mark Cherney
Account Manager
Mpower Communications (Southern California)
714-453-6713

Tell him Manny Referred you and he'll give you a better deal!

Comments:

Review by honkinberry See Profile

• Location: Santa Cruz,Santa Cruz,CA
Bad "Unconcerned about virus infection on customer machine"
Overall "You could lose bandwidth because they don't shut down abuse"

I have been getting slammed with 20 to 50 emails a day from a Sobig.F infected machine on an Mpower DSL connection. I finally emailed abuse@mpowercom.net, only to get it returned, as there is no such address!. So I sent an email to support, which after 3-4 days, still no reply. Finally I called Tech Support, and after waiting on hold for about 30 minutes, the technician told me there was nothing he could do. I asked him if he was even curious as to which IP had an infection on it. He replied that they don't do anything, unless their customers are doing something illegal.

SO, moral of the story, if you don't mind sharing bandwidth with every worm-infected machine out there, I guess Mpower is the way to go.... But if you want to go with an ISP that is actually concerned about the sanctity of their network, and frowns on people gobbling up your shared bandwidth by sending spam or virii, then maybe you should look elsewhere. As proof that this really does mean something, I've been pinging the infected machine all day, and their gateway is at 500 milliseconds return time, with 100% packet loss. How many other machines are relying on that gateway, and why do they deserve this loss of service just because one ISP refuses to shut down an infected machine's network access?

Comments:

Review by mpower rep See Profile

• Location: Covina,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party MPower Communications
Good "lowest in cost,"
Bad "none"
Overall "good service"

Mpower has changed it's coverage area to only doing business in California, Las Vegas and Chicago. They still offer low rates for SDSL, Fractional T-1's, DID/DOD Trunk Lines, P.R.I., lower long distance rates and UNLIMITED calls within the Intralata area. Mpower is 600 million debt free as of July 2002. If you have any questions or to get a quote on a current promotion call or email the rep above.

Comments:

Review by taustin See Profile

• Location: Huntington Beach,Orange,CA
Good "Excellent price"
Bad "Some echos on telephone service"
Overall "Best price we found for services"

We have telephone service at 10 locations, and T-1 or SDSL service at 8, for the total monthly price indicated. Installation went much smoother than I expected, especially on the T-1s. Only advice is, when calling in an issue to tech support, notify your account rep so he can keep an eye on the trouble ticket.