Rapid Systems, Inc. page on DSLReports

Review by stonecolddsl See Profile

• Location: Sarasota,Sarasota,FL
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Fast reliable service with static ip"
Bad "cheap dsl modem"
Overall "Great ISP to deal with."

I signed up for Rapid Systems 3/768k package which comes with an static ip. This is something that I value the most about it. Never have a problem and the techs are friendly and actually do what they say they are going to do. I have only had to call them once about an latcency issue which was quickly resloved.

The modem they sent was a little cheezy but I already had my own zyxel equipment so I just used that over the equipment provided. No billing issues just fast prompt wonderful service.

Update 4/20/2009:

Still great service still having no problem at all.

Update 6/4/2010:

Still a great company to deal with no issues since last last year. Only issue had to do with Verizon goofing up my dsl circuit, which rapid systems got right on. Great support all the time

Update 12/21/2010

Well back in August 2010, I started having issues with the speed of my connection and it's reliability. They quickly sent out a verizon tech to no resolve multiple times when that did not work they started insisting it was the modem which they keep sending me replacement too and when that did not work they simply said they send me a bad modem and I need another. Well they they kept sending out more and more verizon techs who again could not see anything wrong with my lines to the CO. Finally the problem revealed it self it was a bad piece of equipment at the CO on Rapid Systems end. They apologized for my frustration though I was quite annoyed over the whole ordeal.

Shortly after that I had to leave to work that took me over seas for the next 3+ months.

Rapid systems had my card on file ot charge and had all my contact infomration. Shortly after getting settled in my temporary digs I loose the card that RS uses to pay the bill with I forgot it was that particular card so I call the bank to have a new card reissued. Which the bank did and even got to me in London 3 days later. And I am off ding my work i guess RS went to charge my card and since they had my old number it did not go though. Well you figure they give me a call or a email nope, So it goes 2 months like this and they send a snail mail letter which I did not get since I was still overseas. I just noticed it when the machines I had hooked up to the dsl line were no longer acessable for more the na day and I called RS to find out what going on. They told me they did an Administrative close on my account do to non payment. I was upset after all the years of dealing with them that they would not try to call they had no response . So I paid them for the 2 months and since they were all ready to turn it back on that I said no just leave the account closed. they ask for the modem back I said I not in the states they would have to wait till after thanksgiving to get the modem back. They said no problem but again with out a call or a email they charged me 99 dollars dor there modem litterly on the day that I got back home. Only thing I can say to thatis when I called up to yell at them that they did do as they said and returned the funds when i returned the modem.

This company when from a A rating to an F ranting in a few short months as I found there fumbling of all this to be sickening.

member for 10.6 years, 1904 visits, last login: 15 days ago

Comments:

Review by NH813 See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Awesome tech support... the few times it was needed."
Bad "No serious trouble 2+YEARS"
Overall "Static IP, superb tech support, great price!"

I've had Rapid Systems Pro Level (1.5/128 Verizon) aDSL service for 2+ years. When my modem was fried by an electrical storm last summer, a new aDSL modem was sent overnight to me. I was also given the option to pick one up that **same night** after business hours. From installation until today, R/S has been exceptional. When compared to Verizon, Rapid Systems offers faster speeds and static IPs. $55 and change includes all taxes - non contract service.

I've read some of the Bell South customer reviews. In R/S defense, we use a CLEC for voice and data at my workplace. We have many locations. I cringe when we have a problem with a data and it falls within Bell South's territory. In my opinion, Bell doesn't play well with others. It always takes twice as long to resolve the problem.

Trust me folks, I wouldn't waste my time writing this review if I wasn't extremely happy with Rapid Systems. I would and do recommend their service to anyone.

Update: They just lowered their pricing. My bill went down and my UP speed got faster to 384. Awesome!

Comments:

Review by ih8microsoft See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Great tech support, fast pickup times, consistent speeds. Static IP!"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "I'm really happy with the service and support"

I have the gamer package and have been a rapid systems subscriber for about a year. A few months ago I upgraded to the gamer package, had pro service before, so I can have multiple XBOX games and I need the upload performance for work. (At least that is what I told my boss!)

The upgrade process was really fast, happened within a few days and I was surprised to get a call from technical support confiming that my service was upgraded. Support from these people has allways been great.

The support reps are the reason I have added this review. Last week I had a problem with my phone line. After fighting with verizon just to get my phones working again, my DSL modem was not connecting and it was Friday night going into the weekend.

I called and support and we did some testing, it looked as if whatever happened my dsl modem was pushing up daisy's. Support offered to either ship one to me or I could come by the office to pick one up. Fear of not having broadband access over the weekend made it an easy choice to come down to the facility and pick one up.

I arrived at the office as 10:15 PM and Brian took me and my modem into their test room and tested the unit. The modem was bad so he grabbed a new one, tested it and sent me on my way. All in all it took more time waiting for someone to come down and let me in the building then to test and exchange my modem. No hassles just it's bad, here's a new one.

I got home plugged everything back up and was back on line. I called Brain and thanked him for his time. I offered to send him a 6 pack but instead he asked me to post a reivew on this site.

Comments:

Review by guppy_fish See Profile

• Location: Lakeland,Polk,FL
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Real people answer the phone , very smart staff"
Bad "none yet"
Overall "Great service , quick connect , unreal speed"

I just moved into a new neighborhood and the roadrunner performance is horrible. Its due to the overload node in this very "yuppie/GenX" neighborhood

I used dsl reports and found out that I could get dsl and searched for who had the best speed and then what it cost. Internet Junction and Rapidsys both claimed 7.1mb/786kb was availble and after a few phone calls and emails I selected Rapidsys. They DONT port block where internet junction does in this speed grade.

I work out of my home , been in computers before there were PC's and I am very network awhere. In talking with Rapidsys , they answered EVERONE of my very though technical questions , first try , no BS.

They sent the modem , which came the next day. I installed it and today the adsl light is solid on. The modem is free and has many options , one of which is a live connection status page that showes the telco connection rate. I'm at 7.8mbs down 886kbs up ... insane ... but just what I need for my work and servers

The IP is static and though it is only the first day , in less than an hour , my web/mail servers and other PC's are changed over no problem

I have read the other bad reviews here on this ISP ... all I can say is I am in verizon area , the install was as easy as it gets and the service maxes out any of the online speed tests !!!

Its not cheap , 149.00 month , no contacts , no fees (except the 60.00 verizon charge) , but that's the price for real speed and NO SHARED BANDWIDTH !!!!

They are also rolling out wireless at 1.5mps down/up and when that makes it to Lakeland , I'll probably give that a try , its only 69.00 , but only in Tampa FL now

But for now ... I'll enjoy the DSL-ZILLA ...

member for 10.7 years, 5174 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by TrickyNick3 See Profile

• Location: West Palm Beach,Palm Beach,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Static IP, great customer support, LOW hold times"
Bad "No Toll Free Number (800 #)"
Overall "Very highly reccommended"

Very good service, although I wish I could get more of the bandwidth that they offer (1500/256) but, alas, I'm too far away from the box to get it.

Only had a couple of minor issues relating to the GNet modem that they sent me. I was told to upgrade the firmware but was unsuccessful in doing so. Have not informed then of the issue as it's very hard for me to make long distance calls (I have them 100% blocked to save money).

Comments:

Review by Pasadenacat See Profile

• Location: Saint Petersburg,Pinellas,FL
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Excellent customer service, local service,speed and connection very stable, and a static IP"
Bad "Small company... worry about the future."
Overall "Don't want to go to the big guys. Excellent price with no contract. Thumbs up."

So far I am extremely pleased with RS. I ordered the 1500/128 package but I will probably be moving down to the 768/128 service. This is because I think I may be too far away away from my CO to get the higher speed. On almost all speed test I am gettin around 740/135. Which is more than adequate for me.

The folks at RS have always been upfront with me and returned my emails and phone calls. Great customer service from where I sit now. I'm only paying $50 a month for the service with a staic IP, no contract, and a staff I think I will be able to count on when I need help.

My total downtime swapping from DTV was maybe 2 hours. Install was easy and successful the first time. A real pleasure.

member for 11.6 years, 621 visits, last login: 6.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by ETvoipHm See Profile

• Location: Saint Petersburg,Pinellas,FL
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Ontime painless cutover. Cheaper price. Still static IP. All ports. Rational AUP."
Bad "DTV was 840/160 Rapid Systems is 640/130."
Overall "Lets support the "others" ( innovative regional providers)"

Thanks to DSLreports I had the privilege of witnessing my provider fall off the edge of the internet (DTV). Fortunately Rapid Systems offers static IP at an even better price. The staff have big titles but sound like they have credentials to match. Their radio ads are just a bit more informative than a telco's.
They don't offer temporary discounts or MP3 players.
I figure since they dare to advertise in the reports they are accountable.

Shopping for DSL is still chaotic. Read the reports enough so that you can distinguish the exceptions from the trends.

Enjoy.

Disclaimer: Unaffiliated frequent freeloader. Hayward and ronob fan.

Comments:

Review by guru1955 See Profile

• Location: Fort Lauderdale,Broward,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
  • CLEC party: BellSouth
Good "Great response times, Received my service within 4 days of ordering"
Overall "I would recommend this company to my friends"

Called them up on Wednesday after receiving the notice from DirecTV, received the modem and the service on Saturday of the same week. When you call there is always a live person to speak with and there is no wait; the technical assistance is great. Speed is as expected. Keep up the good service.

Comments:

Review by Basilisk3 See Profile

• Location: Saint Petersburg,Pinellas,FL
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Quick turnaround, took 6 days instead of 7, Speed as advertised"
Bad "Router was VERY hard to configure, tech department diddnt help"
Overall "Overall its great for the price, plus the service is excellent"

Ordered the DSL after talking with a very friendly and honest sales staff. They dont block ports or limit bandwidth and the speed tests prove this, infact I was given a bigger upload/download than expected! (160k upload instead of 128 and 842k download instead of 768) The static IP is definately a plus, but I hate the fact it doesnt have some sort of reverse lookup instead of a solid IP.

DSL modem came the day before the due date, but the DSL line was active the same day I got the modem, so i was up and running a day before the due date for the DSL line install. The worst part of the install was configuring the modem to be a router, this is where everything went sour. The tech support team was stumped and offered to conference in the DSL company's tech support to fix the problem, however with persistence, I finally got it to work.

The DSL modem they gave me isint all its cracked up to be and I would be better off buying a cheap DSL modem and getting a high quality NAT/Firewall for it.

Overall, the experience was enjoyable and I was happy that I got it a day ahead of schedule, which according to rapidsystems was unusual. I am very pleased that I dont have to enter into a lengthy contract, this was my favorite of them all. I will probably end up upgrading my service by the end of the month for an extra 10 dollars.

member for 12 years, 0 visits, last login: 12 years ago

• Location: Lutz,Hillsborough,FL
  • CLEC party: Verizon
Good "Relaible service and you can call and ask for a real person by name for tech support"
Bad "News Groups have a long way to go"
Overall "Gave up on Verizon and Earthlink (wasted 5 months waiting) - Rapid Systems had me going fast"

I discovered that DSL was available to my phone lines in May of 2001. I immediately called Verizon. Verison had my DSL up and running in about three weeks, but I had constant connectivity problems and Verizon's customer support was worthless:

Verizon: "What problem are you having?"
Me: "My DSL service is not working."
Verison: "So the problem you are having is that your DSL service is not working?"
Me: "Yes."
Verizon: "I'll issue a service ticket. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

etc.

So I dropped Verison and signed up with Earthlink since I have been a Mindspring dial up user for several years. Five months later, in November 2001, I was still waiting for Earthlink to get me hooked up. I gave up and called Rapid Systems - a local Tampa company.

Rapid Systems took the time to listen to my needs, asked why I wanted DSL and how I used DSL in my business. After this discussion they signed me up. I had great DSL service within 10 days, and when there was a slight problem with the phone line, Rapid System called Verizon and got it taken care of immediately, rather than telling me I had to contact Verizon.

I could not recommend Rapid Systems more. The only problem I have is that their news server tends to only have about 60% of a particular newsgroup's messages available. Since I like to download .mp3 files, this is a big problem. Rather than give up my Rapid Systems service, I solved this issue by subscribing to a third party newsgroup providor.

(review was emailed from domain finertimes.com)