Interbaun Communications Inc. page on DSLReports

Review by RagingPigeon See Profile

• Telco party Telus
  • CLEC party: Telus
Good "You can talk to a live individual."
Bad "Subject to problems caused by upstream provider, Telus."
Overall "I am very unsatisfied with the service I have received to date."

I have been with Interbaun for the last four years (maybe longer)? It has only been today where I have wanted to post a review.

Ordered 1500 / 512, has since been upgraded to 1500 / 640. When I questioned why I was not getting the advertised upload, they immediately put in a trouble ticket to have a line check done. At this time there was also a switch outage so I do not know if the line test ever happened, but I am happy to report that I am now getting the rated upload speeds.

Anytime I have had a problem with my connection Interbaun has been there to handle any issues. I was able to do a self-install, with their assistance, when that idea was just a notion. I started off with a 3Com router/modem, but when that went out, I switched to 3Com modem / SMC 7004 combination. When my modem went out in the evening, I was able to go straight to the office and purchase an immediate replacement. I can count on one hand, the times I have had to contact them for any issues.

Pluses: Great service, great staff. I can call there and expect to talk with a person and not some automated response system.

Minuses: Support is not 24x7. Subject to the upstream provider Telus. Whatever problems Telus is having servicing the internet backbone also affects Interbaun.

---===+===---
April 26, 2004

Well, I have been suffering endless packet losses, and timeouts at different points areas of the internet over the past few months and Interbaun is unable to help. At this point all they can do is give me standard patter that it is beyond their control. They even had me ping Telus and I didn't get any responses. They claimed maybe they have pinging turned off. that maybe but I did not feel reassured after all the problems I have had over the past few months. It was an acknowledged problem by Interbaun that they were having issues with timeouts and pings and now this. I have lost all confidence in Interbaun. I leave my original posting up to indicate that at one time it was a great organizaton but that is no longer the case. I now can not wait for the day that 3GB / 1GB (or more) service becomes available. I will be running away from this service so fast ...

From the tests that were performed the problem is in the Interbaun domain:
Times are Eastern from newest to oldest.

2004-04-26 03:50:51 Line quality 5% loss latency 75.9ms

»/quality/nil/1375184

2004-04-25 05:55:04 Line quality 30% loss latency 76.0ms
»/quality/nil/1374811

April 30, 2004
Please be advised that some of our residential ADSl clients using DHCP may be experiencing problems in obtaining a lease for their computer. Our network engineers are working to resolve this issue. We apologize for any inconveiniance this may cause.

Hmmm ....beyond their control, eh?

As of this date, July 12, there has been no resolution of my packet loss issue. They have done everything that they can. Even though the packet loss has been tracked down to an area between me and their gateway there appears to be no resolution.

Time to consider Shaw Extreme-I, 5MB down and 1MB up?

May 10, 2005
I did the switch to Shaw Extreme-I and very very impressed. Started off with 5Mb down and 1Mb up. Now I am at 7Mb down and 1Mb up. Haven't had lost packet issues. Service is running fine. I have also been able to serve / host games, something I was never able to do on Interbaun. Woohoo, no looking back.

member for 10.7 years, 209 visits, last login: 3.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by bubbagazoo See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
Good "Very stable service"
Bad "Not as fast as the potential but that has more to do with the phone line rather than the service"
Overall "It is better at 640 Down and 256 up than my cable modem was."

Static IP
Ordered 1.5 Mb service
Order/install process very smooth.
Home equipment is 3Com HomeConnect Ethernet ADSL Modem
Service services 5 systems.
Very good experience