SpectrumDSL page on DSLReports
Closed to new reviews.

Review by dodgedavek See Profile

• Location: New Hyde Park,Nassau,NY
  • CLEC party: Rhythms
Good "Free dialup while waiting"
Bad "undislosed costs and additional equipment"
Overall "Thanks to Spectrum's excellent tech support I'm finally up and running with one of my 3 PCs. One down, two to go."

As the Internet Manager for one of two car dealerships with 4 franchises, I selected Spectrum as our provider based on the pricing, packaging and their locally based support. After some minor scheduling snafu's, here's where we are. At my location, Verizon installed the line and Rhythms installed the router. It was only then that we found out that were sold a "car without wheels and tires." Spectrum's rep, then told me about ethernet cards and lines necessary for our 3 computers to have dsl service. We had MetroTech Partners come and give us an estimate of what a professional installation would cost us to get everything up and running the way we wanted and it was over $900 in additional, unexpected expenses for this location alone. Then the sales rep had the audacity to volunteer my time and effort to my boss for free (that's about $670 worth of labor on MetroTech's estimate) and to tell me and my boss what I need and how easy it is to do it. While the sales rep and the team at Spectrum have offered all the help in walk throughs and phone support I'll need, I still feel we were sold an incomplete package and were misled. I now look bad in my boss's eyes and it looks like if I want to keep my job, I'll have to try to install this stuff myself. How would you feel if an outside party volunteers your time and labor for free to work on something you are clueless about? If I had known it was going to be like this, I would have kept dialup until A/C line high speed access comes along. An on-site evaluation before we were sold a package would have avoided this and allowed Spectrum to be upfront about additional equipment and expenses. If we ever get up and running, I'll let you know how it is.

Well, I installed one network card in the PC at my desk and hooked it to the router. With Spectrum's excellent tech support, I was able to get everything up and running. I've changed my ratings and review accordingly and will keep you posted.

• Location: Franklin Square,Nassau,NY
  • Telco party Rhythms
  • CLEC party: Rhythms

I can't relate to all the problems for you other guys, since my DSL service was
installed and running four weeks ahead of schedule. When I ordered the
service, I was told it would be about six weeks until it would be
installed, but the local telco truck was there the next week to run a line,
and then a tech showed up a few days later to install the internal wiring
and configure the Netopia router that was included in the service.

Besides going smoothly, the rep was able to help me choose the type of
service that was right for my needs, without any high pressure tactics or
misinformation. I got reliable service that is fast enough for my current
needs, and which can be upgraded as my needs grow.

I would highly recommend Spectrum DSL to anyone else within their service area.

Mark Simko
DigiBack

_______________________________________________
Why pay for something you could get for free?
NetZero provides FREE Internet Access and Email
»www.netzero.net/download/index.html

(review was emailed from domain netzero.net)

• CLEC party: Covad
Good "excellent explanations; strong tech support from my assigned person"
Bad "weak weekend tech support"
Overall "Well worth it!"

I have recently signed up for DSL through Spectrum DSL.net. My
experience with them was fine. The installation process took 3 visits,
rather than 2, but the whole thing was completed in less than a month
from my initial contact with the ISP, which, to me, was acceptable.
The tech support rep assigned to me was VERY helpful and answered all my questions
proptly and knowedgeably. He got answers to unusual configuration questions
and was able to work around some potential glitches with my network.

My only concern at this point is that in two speed tests that I have
done, the download rating has come out considerably slower than it
should be, although the upload rating is right on. There was one outage,
which had to be related to Covad. It took all day for SpectrumDSL to contact
Covad, but once they did (after I threatened!), the connection was back again
in less than 5 minutes!

DSL itself is a fantastic improvement over my old dial-up ISP, and has
made an enromous difference in my ease of access to the web.

Marcia from Manhattan

(review was emailed from domain spectrumdsl.net)

Comments:

Review by JC007 See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Great Service, Worked Directly With Covad & Bell Atlantic, Delivered As Promised"
Overall "This is a new industry and there are many bad DSL compnies ... SpectrumDSL is a shining star!!!"

Being in the technology industry, I knew all the horror stories about getting DSL, the wait, the passing of the buck, the bait & switch, Oh Yeah ... did I mention the wait? ...etc. Well, SpectrumDSL has risen above every possible nightmare I was expecting. They held our hand through the entire process and when there was an issue with Bell Atlantic or Covad, they completely took care of resolving the issue and just delivered to me the news that it was taken care of. I was so happy with the service I received with them, that I recently moved my entire Web site to SpectrumDSL as my Internet Service Provider.

I don't get where some of these unsatisfied comments are coming from ... there isn't any consistency in these comments. Maybe the people making the bad comments are from the competition ... could that possible be? Naaaahhh ... why would anyone do that

If you need DSL, SpectrumDSL is the way to go ... Final!!!!

Comments:

Review by aliberty See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
  • CLEC party: Rhythms
Good "very slick salespeople"
Bad "credit card charged. nothing done for 3 mos. can't even get refund"
Overall "you'll get ripped off"

Sometime in june I get a faxed offer from spectrumdsl ,I called and inquired about rates . Their rates are expensive so i told the salesperson it was too much for me i only needed a line for internet access for business. The guy asked me how much i want to pay and agreed that on a 144k sdsl line for 79.00 , I told him that I might upgrade to a faster speed later. Signed credit card auth. sheet I was charged over 300.00 the same week. September came no one even called from verizon . Most calls to sales rep wasn't returned. If i get through to him , he gives me different numbers for tech guy and for coordination guy. Those guys don't know nothing either. later found out that i am getting idsl not sdsl as agreed. mid september i gave up. I ordered a 784k sdsl service from another co. for 79.00 and already got an appointment for installation. Now I can't even get my money back from spectrumdsl. Sales guy gives me a number for the guy who is supposed to credit my card. So far never returned any of my calls. Warning stay away from spectrumdsl Thieves.

Comments:

Review by coxswain See Profile

• Location: Freeport,Nassau,NY
  • CLEC party: Rhythms
Good "Fast sale, Fast installation, Fast DSL"
Bad "Have to wait for rebate"
Overall "Bye Bye dial -up modem - SpectrumDSL was great"

I ordered Spectrum DSL the last week in August and it took less than five weeks to get it installed. I really had no problems with the installation. I don't know what everyone is complaining about.

Spectrum DSL made this a very pleasant and smooth experience.

I ordered the SDSL 192 speed. I can always upgrade if I need more speed. I pay $147 a month and the installation will be free once I get my rebate check from Rhythms. They installed a Cisco 675 router and I got one static IP address. I was told I can have up to 5 IP's if I need them.

I have recommended these guys to two companies that I do business with. One of them already has an installation date. I think these guys figured it out.

Comments:

Review by jgomez41

• Location: Hicksville,Nassau,NY
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Iris Kaplan, the sales rep"
Bad "Not getting Iris as your sales rep"
Overall "Get Iris as your sales rep!"

I am a heavy duty Integrator working for many major corporations, as well as
the top level executives of those companies. I have found Spectrum DSL to be
large enough to satisfy most of my needs, as well as providing me with great
communications during the setup process.

Although my clients do not exclusively use Spectrum DSL, I have found that
the installs I do with SpectrumDSL go faster and generally perform better
than other ISP/DSL providers. One call to Iris Kaplan (my sales rep) and all
my DSL related problems seem to be handled positively and promptly. Now if I
could only get her to work at Microsoft! (only kidding SpectrumDSL).

I would rate Spectrum a definite 9.5 out of 10.

(review was emailed from domain home.com)

Comments:

Review by HarveyATT See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "They are local"
Bad "Customer Service Stinks"
Overall "Order Elsewhere"

We ordered 384 Kbps costly is $192-month. Now 5 months later of many called made to their TECHNICAL support from no show on Verizons part, these guys could care less if they get our line installed by the end of the year.

If Verizon doesnt show the ISP should contact Verizon right? Not these guys, my partner and myself called them several times with 3 calls back. The phone company supposedly is coming this week. Meanwhile Spectrum DSL told us that there is a chance of a "loop delivery problem in my area", how could they tell this if noboby ever came. If they dont show again, I am going with another ISP because I'll have to wait 3 weeks for these guys to contact me.

My 4500 sq ft home was built faster than this service could ever be installed. Please e-mail me if you can recommend another ISP in the Downtown area of NewYork with A+ service.

We are currently using a cable modem, which is holding us up for now. Is it that hard to give us a call back?

Comments:

Review by speech See Profile

• Location: Merrick,Nassau,NY
Good "DSL blows away dial-up. Once you try it you're hooked"
Bad "Fairly long wait for the line to be installed from the phone company."
Overall "This is a great service from a local company thats worth the wait."

I shopped around to several different DSL companies. I liked Spectrum because they educated me about DSL and did not try to sell me a service I didn't need.

I went with the higher speed ADSL. It came with an Efficient Networks bridge that plugged right into my PC network card. It's great not having to dial up anymore.

The only thing that wasn't so good was the wait for the phone company to put in the new line, but the technical support guy from Spectrum called a few times to let me know what was going on. Once the phone company finished, the DSL tech from Covad came and plugged in my PC .

I have recommended Spectrum to a few people and they are waiting for their lines now.

• Location: Great Neck,Nassau,NY
Good "They say it takes more than speed to succeed; They were right"
Bad "I haven't encountered anything yet"
Overall "Service talks, everything else walks"

As these national DSL companies talk a good game, I found a company that is just as good as these "big boys", except, they placed me on the pedestal.

I was told from my first conversation what to expect. I was educated about the technology, informed about the installation process, and was followed up thoroughly.

I purchased a business DSL from a fine gentleman in the organization. I was even followed up by a lovely sounding female to reconfirm my order. SpectrumDSL even gave me a technical rep. who actually followed up every so often.

At first I opted for the cheaper IDSL, but i discovered that you can't scale up in speeds and that my business may require more bandwidth. So, I went with 384K.

All across the board I would recommend SpectrumDSL to everyone I know. They even offer reward dollars for referrals. I will let you folks inquire about this service. Bottom line; if you live in the NY-Tri State area, call this company

(review was emailed from domain aol.com)