DSL EXTREME page on DSLReports

Review by SCOTTSAK See Profile

• Location: San Mateo,San Mateo,CA
Good "better than att"
Overall "good price"

install and change over from att easy. nice to have online help here.

Comments:

Review by bekfe10 See Profile

• Location: Dover,Kent,DE
Good "Upgrade alternative to dry loop service in Verizon FIOS areas, price, provided helpful info prior to ordering"
Bad "No trial period, Supplier Surchage Recovery fee"
Overall "I recommend the service, but do some research before signing up for a yearly contract"

Three years ago, I was very skeptical about switching my cell service from Verizon wireless (which I had used for over 8 years) to Pageplus cellular. As a result, I did a lot of research, read a lot of online reviews (both good and bad) and even called customer service twice to ask a few questions that I could not find answers for online. I wanted to know more about the TOS and understand how the company operates and what type of service they provide. After weighing in the pros and cons, I went ahead and switched my cell service to Pageplus; the port was almost instantaneous. I set up automatic payment on my account the same day and I have never experienced any major issues since then. The money savings over the 3-year period is over $500 and do not take into account the extra features like text and data that I now have on my plan but would otherwise pay for with Verizon.

I started the review with this analogy to reinforce the fact that before getting into something, one needs to do her/his homework because what worked for someone else may not necessarily work for everyone. Call the company if necessary and read existing online reviews (both good and bad) to get a better idea of what you are about to get yourself into.

My situation was similar to those having dry loop DSL service in Verizon areas where FIOS is available. You can’t upgrade your internet with Verizon unless you get FIOS and that is that. As you may already know, standalone FIOS is very expensive. After being a loyal Verizon’s customer for about 12 years (7 years for DSL), they slapped me with two (2) increases totaling $7/month in a year timeframe on my 1/0.384 Mb dry loop DSL. When I contacted higher management they basically acted like they do not need my business anymore when I told them that I have no interest in getting FIOS at the moment. The fact is I do not have cable TV or home telephone with any other company, so I had nothing to bundle the service with to make it affordable. Not happy with the way I was treated, I started actively looking for alternatives to Verizon in my area. The only thing I could get is Comcast Cable or one of those Verizon resellers. I ruled out Comcast for many reasons and look further into the existing subs servicing my area. My choice was either Joiphone internet or DSLX. I tried to call Joiphone 2 days in a row on a weekend and could not get a hold of customer service during working hours shown on their website. When I did talk to someone the following Monday, oh boy was I glad to call before placing my order. I then proceeded to call DSLX office and was able to talk to a nice lady who addressed all of my questions/concerns. Later on, I sent an IM to dslx_Nick through the DSLReports forum (since I am a member) for more technical questions. Nick quickly replied to my message with answers to all of my questions and provided me with critical pathways to help making an informed decision. And this back and forth went on for about three (3) days. I would like to note that Nick actually pointed out some scenarios where it would not make sense for me to transfer my internet service to them since I was grandfathered with Verizon (to me, that is integrity!). I also read the entire DSLX terms of service (TOS) for high speed internet. Well, about that you may want to know that according to the TOS it is almost impossible to break the yearly contract with DSLX and they do not offer any 30-day trial or grace period. Also, I was told that the price goes up about $5/month if you decide to renew after the first year of service. Therefore, you need to do your homework and make sure that you are doing the right thing before ordering service with them.

After all the readings and questioning, I decided that I was going to go with DSLX and started backing up all my Verizon emails to another account. Also, per Nick’s advice I called Verizon and asked for my dry loop DSL number in order to speed up the process and avoid downtime. Late on 2/13/2013, I ordered the 3/0.768 Mb dry loop DSL service package from DSLX for a monthly total of $27.83 (including a $2.88 supplier surcharge recovery fee – not sure what that fee is about since the 1998 Internet Tax Freedom Act bars federal, state, and local governments from taxing internet access and from imposing discriminatory internet-only taxes – except for 10 grandfathered States) with a 1-year contract. Since I provided my dry loop number in the comments area of step 4 of the ordering process, on 2/14/2013 DSLX updated my order in their system to replace the auto generated dry loop number for a swift process. On 2/18/2013 at 4:22 PM ET I received an email with an activation date of 2/22/2013. I was later informed by Nick that DSLX is trying to get my service up and running on 2/19/2013. Sure enough, the morning of 2/19/2013 my service was activated. Needless to say that my Verizon account was closed as well, but fortunately all my emails were already moved. All I had to do was to log into my Verizon modem to verify that my new service was provisioned, delete the Verizon connection (you can also set it to Manual) and create a new connection with my DSLX username and password. My switch happened overnight, technically with no downtime. My service is running strong ever since with no interruption or issues whatsoever. The speed tests from Speedtest, Speakeasy, and Verizon all showed between 2.8-2.9 Mb download and about 0.7Mb upload. I am glad I switched because I am now able to upgrade my service speed a little while still running as strong as before.

To summarize, if you have “rock solid” dry loop DSL service with Verizon that can’t be upgraded because FIOS is available, DSLX is for you. However, if you already have ongoing issues with your existing DSL service or never experienced with DSL internet service before, DSLX may not be for you.

If you find this review helpful and decide to sign up for service, DSL Extreme has what is called "Refer-a-Friend" program where you can get a $20 credit on your account when signing up for a new account as being referred by a friend. All you need to do is make sure that at step 2 of the sign-up procedure when asked: “How did you hear about DSL Extreme?” you select "A Friend (Existing DSL Extreme User)" from the drop down box and you can enter the username "z a n m i" and we will both get $20 credits on our accounts. In any event, do your homework first, backup your important emails before even placing your order, and obtain your dry loop DSL number when appropriate for a seamless transition.

Should anything stated in the review change, I will make sure to update it for facts accuracy.

Update 1

It has been 4 months now since I have switched my DSL service over to DSL Extreme. Everything is still working great and the download and upload speeds have been consistent. I have only had 2 service outages which lasted less than 24 hours. The first one was due to the fact that the account ownership was not properly transferred to DSLX by Verizon and the second one (more recently) was due to some Verizon maintenance issues on the northeast coast. Otherwise, so far so good and the tech guys on the forum respond quickly whenever I message them. I will provide another update in 4 months should anything change.

Update 2

It has been 10 months now since I signed up with DSLX and service is still rock solid with. I do not have any outage to report for this period. As I explained in my very first review if you had strong DSL service before switching to DSLX most likely you will not experience any major issue after signing up with them. Bottom line: if the price is still good at the end of my contract, I will most likely renew my contract. If it goes up more than the $5 promised, I will most likely get Comcast. I will update everyone should anything in the service change.

Update 3

This is my last update for this year period. I can’t believe it has been almost a year since I switched to DSLX. Service was great throughout the year to the exception of a few outages, which were quickly resolved. The only thing I might add is that DSLX really need to work with Verizon to remove the “supplier surcharge recovery fees: SSRF” ($2.88) which I think is unnecessary. When you compare the rates between AT&T areas and Verizon areas, you can see that this fee is bogus. In my opinion, this is just another way for Verizon to make more money off of customers. I live in Delaware; I can tell you that this fee is close to being illegal according to Delaware laws, but good luck getting DSLX to work with you on this. I guess that is the only bad side to DSLX; they lock you in a contract early in the game and do not try to fight on behalf of the customers unlike the MVNOs who keep getting the prepaid customers amazing deals. Anyway, my year will be up in February and my new price will be $32.87 total for 3/0.768 DSL service. This is really where the removal of the SSRF would come handy! I am really contemplating getting 25/5 Comcast for $30/month (no contract) for a year, but only time will tell. Overall this is a great service and I also commend DSLX for their customer service. In term of billing, they would have my commendation if they have tried to save their customers a buck here and there whenever feasible! I am positive they can re-negotiate certain terms with Verizon specifically since AT&T fees are pretty decent compare to Verizon. If I do decide to renew my contract for another year, I will keep posting quarterly updates for people looking into making the switch from Verizon to DSLX.

Update 4

I renewed my contract for another year with DSLX and service is still rock solid. It is a little hard to swallow 3/0.768 Mbps DSL service for $32.87, but I realize that this is more than enough for what I need. I hope the service continue to be reliable and hopefully someday they will be able to get rid of the SSR fee to keep it under $30. For people looking to sign up for service remember if your service is currently not reliable most likely it will still be not reliable with DSLX. Just look for other alternatives. If your service with is running great, then this is a go for DSLX. Signup and remember they have a Refer-a-Friend" program where you can get a $20 credit on your account when signing up for a new account as being referred by a friend. All you need to do is make sure that at step 2 of the sign-up procedure when asked: “How did you hear about DSL Extreme?” you select "A Friend (Existing DSL Extreme User)" from the drop down box and you can enter the username "z a n m i" and we will both get $20 credits on our accounts. Enjoy and good luck!

Update 5

Service is still the same since my renewal back in February; speeds are consistent and rock solid. There was only one major outage to report on June 1st, but it appears it was at Verizon level. They generated a repair ticked with Verizon after testing the line and the issue was quickly resolved. I still do not see why I am paying the high SSR fee to Verizon, but I guess it is what it is. Hopefully some day DSLX will see fit to negotiate the removal of this bogus fee with Verizon.

member for 4.5 years, 154 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
·MegaPath

Recovery Fee

Depending on who you talk to at DSLX depends on the answer you get. Before they used to claim they were charged it by AT&T and only charged it in AT&T areas but as it shows, they do it in all areas and looks at their way of raising prices without raising them. Especially since other major providers do not charge this. DSLX's parent company- Ikano doesn't even charge this fee to their wholesale customers, nor their other DSL customers, just under the DSLX brand it looks like.
andre2

join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA

Verizon dry loop number

Verizon dry loop customers can get their dry loop number at »my.verizon.com . Log in, then go to I Want To "Manage My Services". There should be a Home Phone section labeled "SIMULATED DRY LOOP WITH HOTLINE ANNOUNCEMENT - RESIDENCE" and if you click on "View All", it shows the dry loop number. I already knew it from somewhere else but VZ doesn't print it on any of their bills.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what "HOTLINE ANNOUNCEMENT" is? Is that something you're supposed to get if you plug a phone directly into the jack?
andre2

join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA

Verizon billing after the switch to DSLX

After you switched to DSLX, did you have to contact Verizon for any reason (including having to ask them to stop your bill and get a partial refund for the unused part)? My Verizon service has been trouble-free except for when changes are needed, which they tend to screw up a lot, and I'm a little worried they may cut off the DSL by mistake after it's been switched over to DSLX.
bekfe10

join:2010-01-18
Dover, DE
·DSL EXTREME

Re: Verizon billing after the switch to DSLX

@andre2
After you switched to DSLX, it is recommended to call Verizon to cancel your account, but you need to wait until your service is up and running to do so. Make sure you note down the time of the call and the name of the agent you talk to just in case. After that you should receive a final bill with payment or refund. If your service has been trouble free, most likely it will continue to be that way. Once DSLX gives you an activation date, the service is technically with them and they should help you resolve any service issues you might have. So far I have not had any real issues with my service. I was also trouble free with Verizon!

Review by socrates See Profile

• Location: usa
Good "never received service"
Bad "customer service including managers"
Overall "Give a good price, but awful customer service"

This process has proven to be the absolute WORST customer service from any phone or internet provider ever. I spoke twice on the day service was supposed to be connected. After hours of tech support, they told me they would get someone out from 8am - 8pm to turn on our DSL. They confirmed that the technician would not be able to come in without someone home. I explained that I work, but would take the day off if they were sure. I proceeded to call 5 times and was assured each time that they called and verified someone would come before 8pm. I explained each time that it was exceptionally difficult for me to leave work and I really needed to make sure someone arrived. Of course no one came and no one called. Finally, when I called for the 5th time at 8:20, I was told ha ha they are not coming today and there is no one to call. They didn't make it. No one called me. It was promised all day that they would come. I finally spoke to a supervisor, Michael to whom I explained the situation. He said that he would do his best to get someone out 4-6 pm the next day so I would not have to take the whole day off and that someone would confirm in the morning. Of course, no one called to confirm anything. When we called again, we were told that they would have a tech come 12-4. However, again, no one came. My husband left work early for a second time and called the supervisor, who finally called back to tell us that there is a state of emergency (which the phone company does not show) and they cannot come again. I was exceptionally upset and explained that this cannot continue. However, no additional attempt was made to call me until 4 pm the following Monday, when the representative proceeded to tell me that the phone company came Saturday and could not get in to the phone room. After 9 phone calls, 2 of which were with supervisors, with every single phone call including the fact that someone needed to be home for the phone company to access, no one bothered to even call. I am so extremely disappointed. I again asked that a supervisor in charge call me if they wanted to try to keep my account. No one called until the next day to say that someone would need to be home between 8am-8pm again if we wanted service. No customer service, no attempt to fix this situation. I finally spoke to another supervisor today Nick, who spent the phone call going through the times and conversations. Instead of realizing a customer had taken off work twice and asked how DSL Extreme could fix the situation, he proceeded to explain that it was the phone company. When I explained that I purchased service from them, not the phone company in the hope of customer service, which I did not receive, he continued to explain that their reps did the right thing and the problem was the phone co. Not one time did he offer to fix the problem or make sure we get service. Not once. Then they proceeded to tell me that they have already charged me for service I have never had and they are not sure that they will give me a refund. The manager will evaluate if I should be refunded for service I never, ever had. Will update in 24-48 hours when they make their decision

Comments:

dslx_gm
join:2002-12-26
Chatsworth, CA

I have reviewed your account...

Hi Irena,

I would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced in trying to get your service established. The vast majority of our Fusion Broadband installations go very smooth and this is out of the ordinary. I show that when it was determined that your service had been connected but you were not able to get sync within your home that our technicians determined a dispatch by AT&T was necessary and set one up. Unfortunately it appears that due to unforeseen circumstances AT&T missed that dispatch and despite being escalated by us was not able to get out there the next day either. I understand that this can be an inconvenience and for that I do sincerely apologize. I understand your desire to just get the service fully connected within your home and can understand your frustration. I would appreciate the opportunity to try to get an AT&T technician rescheduled to come out and test your connection. I am confident that once we get the technician there that they will be able to address and get the problem resolved. I am going to ask one of my lead technicians to give you a call to see if we can get a dispatch setup again so we can get you connected and move forward.

Thanks,
Chief Operating Officer
DSL Extreme
Will work for reviews.

Review by bobby0 See Profile

• Location: La Verne,Los Angeles,CA
Good "reliable."
Bad "can't use with a game console "
Overall "Happy to have dumped Verizon"

The day after signing up with DSLX my verizon was cut. No notice, no warning, no dsl for 10 days. For this, I blame Verizon, not DSLX but it took over a week to change over thanks to Verizon. Other then that startup mess and the fact that I have to log on everytime I start up my computer as opposed to being always on. When I tried using the connection with a wii console it didn't work. Something about having the wrong type connection? So no netflix I guess. Price jumped up to almost $40/mo and speed is slower then everyone else I know here . Also no wifi modem available ! Why is that? Everyone else offers it.

Comments:

dslx_gm
join:2002-12-26
Chatsworth, CA

Persistent Connection

Hi bobby0 See Profile,

Thanks for your support of DSL Extreme. In your review you mentioned the need to login in every time that you start your computer vs being constantly connected. I assume that you are on a dynamic connection that authenticates via PPPoE. If so in order to get a persistent connection where you don't have to login each time you start your computer you should be able to set either your router (if you are using one) or your modem to do the PPPoE authentication for you. This will eliminate the need to have your computer or any other device like your Wii. Our support team can assist you with getting that setup if you want to give them a call or you can feel free to reach out to dslx_nick See Profile or dslx_steve See Profile and one of them should be able to assist.

Thanks again for your support.

Chief Operating Officer
DSL Extreme
Will work for reviews.

Review by jadinolf See Profile

• Location: Ojai,Ventura,CA
Good "Reliability and tech support"
Overall "Very Satisfied"

Ordered 384/1500 for $12.95
Install was nice and clean
2Wire 1800HG, 2Wire USB adapter, 2Wire HPNA adapter. (5 computers)

All I know is that all is perfect with DSL Extreme.

I have been with DSL Extreme for a little over a month now and have had absolutely no problems nor do I anticipate any.
Update 03/05/07:

I have been with DSLX for almost 9 months now and all is still well. There have been only two minor outages during this period.

All is still good. Very happy to be with DSLextreme.

Very close to 11 months with DSLX and all continues to be well. No problems at all. (5/11/2007)

I year of DSLX now and I have renewed my contract. All continues to be well.

8-21-2007 I was just thinking today, when is the last time you sent an IM to the general manager of your ISP and received a reply? Did you ever do it with AT&T?

I can do it any day of the week with DSLX. A great reason to sign up with them or... isn't that important to you? It is to me and I love it.

1-8-2008 Still running fine. So happy I stayed with DSL Extreme.

5-1-2008 Here I am again. Have just renewed for the third year and am very happy with my monthly cost as well as the reliability of my DSL.

I recommend DSL Extreme to anyone not happy with their present ISP..

6-7-2008 Back again. I have been helping friends who have AT&T with their Internet problems. When they call tech support, they get shuttled off to some foreign country and on many occasions, the tech support people are difficult or impossible to understand. Not so with DSL Extreme where the people speak North American. What a pleasure.

Well, I "reenlisted" on July 1 and all continues to be great. New monthly cost is $22.83. Bear in mind that I'm a guy who is on line probably 18 hours or more a day so if anyone would notice problems, I would. No complaints at all.

9-18-2008 No loss of DSL at all.

Finding my way through the new email setup. I will resolve the unusual things I have observed. For the record, I am usually not resistant to change but I prefer the old way this time.

June 1, 2009
I got my renewal notice this morning. With a contract, my monthly cost remains the same ($22.83) so I re-enlisted.

I am very satisfied with the service I get from DSLX. Have only had a few very minor email problems and that's about it.

Again, I encourage anyone who is not happy with their current ISP to give DSL Extreme a try.

7/2/2009

Well, here we go with another year with DSL Extreme. Hopefully, this year will be as uneventful as the previous years.

I sometimes wonder why people have so many problems with DSLX. as reported on their forum. I also wonder why they don't call tech support instead of taking a shot at the ISP on line. Oh well.

1/4/2010

The system reminded me that it has been 185 days since I updated my review.

All I can say is that I remain satisfied with the service I receive from DSLX and I will stay with them until something untoward happens. I don't anticipate that.

6/1/2010 Well, I got an email from DSL Extreme - it was not unexpected-- my contract will be up July 1. I have signed up for another year. I am 76 years old so I hope I will be around to renew next year.

Of course, I am satisfied with DSLX. If I wasn't I would have moved on.

So there.

7/5/2010
Well, it's official. My charge card tells me that my monthly charge is one dollar less than last year. That's three years in a row with no price increase. How many people can say that?

2/1/2011

Not much to report on. All is well. I'll get back to you next time the DSLR crew prods me to update my review.

6/17/2011

Renewed my contract again.

I can still IM the General Manager of my ISP. That's pretty hard to beat. Try that with AT&T.

No price increase in three years. What a pleasure.

Maybe I'm just a lucky guy but I am quite satisfied with DSLX.

8/10/2012

Still with DSLX since 2006.

Still no complaints.

No price increase.

Life is good.

4/5/2013

Thought I'd keep you posted.

All is well and never needed overseas tech support.

10/8/2013

DSLR twisted my arm to get me to post an update.

Still happy with the service I receive from DSLExtreme. Would be much better if I didn't live in the sticks but houses just 3 doors away can't even have DSL. Yes, cable is available here but I am happy just the way it is.

That's it folks.

4/15/2014
Many years with DSLR and all is well. Just wish I could get more speed but this is the best I can do with them.

member for 9 years, 5116 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
join:2005-06-21
Irvine, CA

Plan

Do you still have the 1.5Mbps plan? Have you asked the DSLX guys on here (dslx_nick) for any options with upgrading? They might be able to look at your circuit and manually upgrade you to the next tier.

Just a suggestion.

Wifi

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
·DSL EXTREME

Re: Plan

Thanks. Yes, I do have that plan but every time I ask them to verify getting a faster plan, they say it would not work. A house just three doors away can't get DSL.

Of course, U-Verse is available and I am seriously considering it.

I appreciate for the suggestion.
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

Review by Ledgem See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Excellent service - people and internet"
Bad "May be a bit bare-bones for some people"
Overall "Excellent"

·Verizon Online DSL
***Update May 2014 (total monthly cost increased to $32.83 in August 2013 after re-signing one-year contract, 3 mbps down/768 kbps up):

The service has remained rock-solid and there have been no billing issues in the nearly two years that I've been using DSL Extreme. I occasionally toy with the idea of upgrading to a faster speed, but don't feel that DSL Extreme's faster service in my area (5 mbps down/768 kbps up) is worth adding an addition $10-15 to my bill each month. Frugality aside, I'm still very happy with DSL Extreme as a service provider.

***Original review from July 2012 (total monthly cost $27.83, 3 mbps down/768 kbps up):

I have the 3 mbps down, 768 kbps up plan from DSL Extreme, and consistently reach those speeds. At this point I've been using DSL Extreme for about seven or eight months.

I migrated to DSL Extreme from Verizon, after realizing that my $29.99 internet plan was coming out to $64 per month thanks to the mandatory dial tone line and all of its associated fees. DSL Extreme offered DSL without needing a dial tone line, so I made the switch.

The process was fairly painless. DSL Extreme notified me that it would take about a week for the service to switch over. About two days before the designated date my internet stopped working; I modified my router settings to use my DSL Extreme login instead of my Verizon login, and my internet returned. I was pleased that the switch was made earlier than they had stated, but a bit of an earlier warning would have been nice. Not a major issue.

Converting my line to remove the dial tone aspect was a bit of a chore. DSL Extreme was able to take over the internet service by themselves, but they are not able to cancel the dial tone line without action from the customer. A representative from DSL Extreme called me and told me what I would need to do. I had to call Verizon three times before I got a representative who was willing to follow the instructions perfectly. (The first told me that they couldn't do it; the second didn't type the order exactly as it needed to be phrased.) This is more an issue with Verizon than with DSL Extreme.

My original plan with Verizon had been a "1.1 to 3.0 mbps down, 384 kbps up" plan, and in practice I only received 1.5 mbps down. That speed didn't change when I switched to DSL Extreme's 3 mbps down, 768 kbps up plan. I contacted dslx_nick, a support specialist who uses the forums here at DSL Reports, and he immediately offered to investigate. It turned out that Verizon had set an artificial limit on my line, and Nick was able to have that removed in less than a week. He followed up with me via both this website and by phone. Granted, Nick is just one representative, but I know that there's at least one other technical representative on this website as well. If Nick is any representation of how the other staff at DSL Extreme are, it bodes very, very well for the company.

Of course, beyond Nick I can't talk about any DSL Extreme staff because I haven't had any problems. Billing is electronic and works perfectly. I've run the connection at full speed for hours and at all hours of night and day, and it's been perfectly stable.

I didn't receive any equipment from DSL Extreme, as was expected. I junked the Verizon-supplied modem-router and went back to using my old modem-router from Windstream, a Sagemcom F@ST 1704. The Sagemcom is used in bridge mode with an Apple Airport Extreme 5th generation router.

In comparison with other companies, DSL Extreme has been very impressive. Their responsiveness and the speed with which they address customer issues (at least, through DSLreports) has been nothing short of incredible; the world would be a better place if all companies handled their affairs this way. Speed-wise the service is much better than Verizon, but slightly slower than Windstream (which I had in a location less than 50 miles from my current location). However, Windstream also cost roughly $15 more per month. Verizon made it easy for Windstream to be my favorite ISP in this area, but DSL Extreme is now slightly ahead of Windstream in my opinion. I've been very pleased.

Comments:

Review by Happy2014 See Profile

Good "Awesome company!"
Overall "Great customer service all the way around!"

I ordered the $17.99/month service for my dad and was doing well for about 6 months. He lives in an AT&T service area that for some reason began to interfere with my dad's DSL Extreme service...long story short...DSL's service department worked to repair issues on their end, two months later my dad went from AT&T to his current service with another company. I called DSL to ask how I could cancel the service without having to pay out too much on cancellations fees, etc., the rep stated that she would ask her manager how best to help me out and low and behold, waived the remaining $50 balance with NO cancellation fees (the account was still on contract). I just need to return the modem and it is done!!! THANK YOU DSL!!! Will definitely refer my friends and family to DSL...also, I took this recommendation from Leo LaPorte, the TechGuy...Leo was not wrong!! DSL is awesome!!!

Comments:

Review by geonap See Profile

• Location: Glendale,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party Southwestern Bell
Good "wow... this little text box is too small to list."
Bad "hmm, this isn't a review for my previous cable company, NO BAD POINTS!"
Overall "If you are in an area capable of DSLEXTREME and decide to go with another company, you are CRAZY"

So I finally got sick of my 3mbit cable.. decided to pay $8/month more than $42/month and get DSL.. 6mbit.. wow, the support is amazing, you get the general manager and everyone in the company to support you.. how many of you can you say, SBC has ever done this? they may have more goons at SBC working.. but the PERSONAL service that you receive, SBC = $50/month for 6 months, then $65/month for the months after that, THAT IS WACK. The service and support received from the dslreports forum for DSLEXTREME by far has exceeded the cumulative support I had received from SBC from 2000 to 2003 or whatever it was.. then cable from 2003 to a couple days ago.. I download 640kb/s maximum from LA, 10 miles from my home, which is great.. better than 3mbit from cable, the 640kb/s maximum is because of the DSL overhead of 20%, you'll notice that you download no more than 5.1mbit maybe, even with 6mbit service, but let me tell you, for the price, I haven't been happy since i went from dialup to 1.5mbit dsl when SBC first launched their dsl services here 5 years ago. I just want to say, think about the SUPPORT if you're deciding on going to SBC, the support at DSLEXTREME in my eyes is probably 20 times better than the internet support at SBC or Verizon.. If you are having doubts, send me a message and i'll change your mind.

Overall: the knowledge of their support personnell with their capability of diagnosing their problems easily is far superior to any other support I've ever had, plus the satisfaction of downloading at 5mbit now, oh my lord!

The Order process was simple, ordered it, got an email, couple days later, got an activation email.. set to activate a little later.. but i was lucky, it activated earlier for me.

I used a speedstream 5100 modem my uncle gave me when he was at verizon, i got into the modem and changed it to bridge mode.. my uncle is with DSLExtreme now also! i have 5 dynamic ips, i would love to have 1 static at the same price in the future (50/month) but we'll see where that goes.

btw,there is like a 2.50/month regulatory or somthing fee, too lazy to look it up, some government stuff!

THANKS DSLEXTREME!

UPDATE AS OF MAY 07 2007

I SWITCHED TO CHARTER LIKE A MONTH AGO.. 10mbit, i love, i love.. but charter blows goats and i want DSLextreme but i really love the 10mbit downloads heh.. right now charter is lagging.. i'll always refer new customers/businesses to dslextreme though... best company ever.

UPDATE AS OF MAY 02 2014

DSLExtreme has been at it for me, signed up another customer this morning for their next office.. I love being able to talk to Tier2 and get the numbers needed to determine if it'll be stable enough for voice or what my issues will be, nick @ DSLExtreme has been the greatest help i've ever had.. anywhere with an ISP. Their FUSION offering is great, i'm signing up someone once every two weeks.

Comments:

Review by whocares256 See Profile

• Location: Anna,Collin,TX
Good "Indepentant Backhaul of Other ISP's In area."
Bad "Renewal pricing is More that I would like. Nothing faster than 6/768"
Overall "On Legacy ATT DSL"

·Grayson County T..
·Callcentric
Updated 4/14/14

I have decided to go back to DSLeXtreme as a backup ISP. I currently have GCEC but DSLX has been rock solid. I have just placed an order with DSLX and I will have 6/512. This will give me redundant internet that is "NOT CAPPED"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Orginal Review January 2013
I have had DSLExtreme Fiber Package since 5/12. Is is rock solid. I have just requested an upgrade to the 20/20 which is the next step up.(Better bang for the buck. Only $5 more than 20/5.) I already had an ONT from when I was with Verizon. When my install day arrived the tech came in and checked to make sure everything worked. I had a router and network already set up and hooked up. One bad thing with Verizon is they want to give you their equipment past the ONT (router). My internet was working even before Verizon stopped by, All I had to do was move the network cable from my cable modem to the ONT.
Upgrading services with DSLExtreme is easy. DSLExtreme mentioned that I was one of the first customers to get Fiber. I saw DSLExtreme Internet here on DSL Reports.

»DSL Extreme Launches Rebranded FiOS

Update 5/18/13

Moved the the northern part of the county in 2012 and DSL is the only internet available. I am in an ATT area and can only get 6/768. Currently have DSLX @ 6/768 (5.1/0.66 with overhead).

Comments:

Review by det427 See Profile

• Location: Santa Rosa,Sonoma,CA
Good "Great service and support!"
Bad "A little slow in getting upgraded to 6000 k/s service"
Overall "Great ISP!"

I saw the link to DSL Extreme 6000 k/s web page in a Sonic.net newsgroup (my old ISP).
The price was only $2.00 extra ($59.95 plus the Federal Universal Service Fund charge) for 4 times the speed!
The thing that convinced me to change was the "Lifetime Price Freeze".
Sonic and SBC has a price leader for one year then reverts to a higher price.
I want the price to remain the same!
I ordered on Jan. 15 and was seamlessly transferred with an ISP Change Order on Jan. 31 with no downtime!
I just put in my new static ip and was surfing the net.
The only problem was getting upgraded to the 6000 k/s service (was transferred at my original 1500 k/s).
It took a couple of calls and emails to get it going.
I figured since this was a promotion period it was pretty hectic for DSL Extreme.
I might have fallen through the cracks.
It took me three weeks to finally be upgraded.
The phone support varied from 15 - 45 minutes based on what time of day I called.
I learned about DSL Extreme having their own forum on BBR.
I learned how to use DSLX's forum to "instant message" (IM) support.
The forum is all I use now for support!
The support on DSLX's forum is excellent!
I did get upgraded to the 6000 k/s service a day earlier than what was on the Order Status Page.
I "IM"ed George, the GM of DSLX, to change my router profile from 1500 k/s to 6000k/s.
He changed it in less than 30 minutes!
Since I was at the 1500 k/s for three weeks I asked George if I could be prorated at the price of the 1500 k/s service.
He said no problem and was done in a matter of hours!
My speed is constant too!!
At Sonic my speed was all over the place (90 to 120 K/s)
Sonic thought the problem was at my end.
I just have one desktop computer, a SpeedStream 5360 DSL Bridge, and no router: nice and simple.
I did not know what the problem was until I came to DSLX.
I am on a Remote Terminal.
Toaster2K, a SBC tech, said when I transfer to a new ISP I get reprofiled and rerouted.
I found out that both the backbone provider, SBC and the ISP, DSLX, both have to profile me on their respective routers especially if I am on an RT.
Apparently, at the time, Sonic did not know to do this on their routers.
That is why my speed was all over the place.
Sonic has since corrected this.
DSLX already knew what to do.
My speed is rock solid at 5+ mbs down and ~520 k/s up!
I wanted to wait a few weeks to see if my speed would stay consistent before writing a review.
It has with no problems!
I would highly recommend DSLX to anyone and have done so myself!
Great job DSLX and thanks for solving my erratic speed problem!
det427

12-04-05
I downgraded my service to 1500/384 kbs dynamic connection a few months ago to save some money since I do not do a lot of downloading anymore.
It was a little slow for my taste.
I upgraded to 3000/512 kbs dynamic connection shortly after.
This throughput is just right for my habits.
DSLX had a problem with a Northern California router around a month ago.
On the first boot of the day my dsl bridge would not grab an IP.
I had to either reboot or do a command prompt to get a connection.
DSLX, through this forum, found out the problem in a timely manner.
I am thoroughly satisfied with the service and support.
I have recommended many people and will continue to do so.
Thanks, DSLX!

5-19-2006
I upgraded back to a static connection earlier this year. Sometimes the DHCP connection would take a while to connect. I guess I was spoiled to an instant connection! I was on the DHCP connection for less than a year. Since the price of a static connection was only a few dollars a part from the 3000 kbs to the 6000 kbs throughput I opted to go back to the 6000 kbs static connection I originally had. Just a few days ago, I upgraded my connection to the 6000/768 kbs static service. Thanks to a few outspoken DSLX forum members and DSLX's management listening to their customers the static price dropped $10.00 and the upload increased! Once again DSLX comes through again! Thanks DSLX!

6-23-2007
I was having trouble sending email through Outlook Express but could send it through web mail. I posted the problem on DSLX's Forum on a Sunday. I must have gotten "buried" under more important issues because I had to post a "what's up" a few days later. George, the GM, got involved and had it fixed it in a relatively short time. He stated it was probably the IP block wasn't properly configured in the mail server to relay mail. I appreciate the feedback. I also changed from a static ip to a dynamic ip via DHCP on a month to month basis with the same throughput (6016/768 kbs). I am trying to save a few dollars per month. So far, except for the recent Northern California outage, no problems. Thanks DSLX again!

1-04-2008
No problems, just chugging along! My only gripe is I wish AT&T would offer higher throughput to DSL Extreme. I found out I could get Uverse but with only a little higher upload it is not worth it since I get good customer support from DSLX!

5-02-2008
Still working great! AT&T Uverse has a 10 Mbps download now. I wish they would pass this along to DSLX!

8-04-2009
Everything smooth sailing! Just wish AT&T would share some Uverse bandwidth with DSLX!

5/21/2010
No problems or glitches! Come on AT&T let DSL Extreme sell your Uverse product!

1/15/2011
Just renewed for another year for $32.83 total! Price went down three dollars a month from last year. I thought about Uverse but having no problems with my 6 mbs connection I decided to stay with DSLX. Besides, I won't get anymore cards and letters from at&t anymore for Uverse; I would miss that!

4/6/2014
Still working great! DSLX said new options will be happening soon! Hope it is Uverse through DSLX!

member for 10.4 years, 3293 visits, last login: a few hours ago