DSL EXTREME page on DSLReports

Review by JMGII See Profile

• Location: Santa Clarita,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Faster speeds than promised, excellent installation service"
Bad "Haven't found any yet, but check back i'll update if anything changes"
Overall "This is a must have service if your tired of over priced slow speed internet service."

I got invited by DSL Extreme to try out their trueSTREAM service in my home. It was installed on August 13, 2014. The tech was on time, and was very professional. He took the time to explain the whole process to me before he started the job. While he was in my house, he made sure that he had booties on his shoes as to not track dirt in my home.

When the tech finished installing the trueSTREAM, he went over all the aspects of my service. He also provided me with his cell phone number, and his bosses cell phone number just in case I had an issue. He also made sure that I had the password to my wifi and even offered to set up any mobile devices I might have. I declined, but I was very grateful I was asked.

Now for the service, all I can say is Wow, we are talking the fastest internet I have ever had. They promised me 18Mbps but to my surprise I am getting close to 23Mbps.

I have had the service for about a month now and I am very surprised. It's rare that you find a company that delivers what they promised.

I would definitely recommend DSL Extreme to anyone looking for affordable, fast, and reliable internet service.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by rsgilbert7 See Profile

• Location: La Palma,Orange,CA
Good "Speeds are excellent, no caps, price is great, support is great!"
Bad "Would prefer to buy the modem/router, but I can live with leasing. "
Overall "Excellent speeds, excellent support, excellent price......excellent company! "

Have had the 6.0/768 package for many years and have been very happy. trueSTREAM came along and features dry loop so I can dump POTS and speeds are beyond belief at this point. Was kept well informed during pre-installation and the installation itself went very smooth. Required to use the leased equipment and the router portion is a bit less powerful than my own router, but adequate. By the way you can continue to use your own router with the modem/router on a pass through basis, but wasn't a big enough issue for me to do so. Overall, I am extremely pleased with the whole process, the reliability of the service and the speed gains.

Comments:

Buttcheeks

@144.160.226.x

Who performed the installation?

Hey there, trueSTREAM is also available in my neighborhood. I was wondering who did the installation? Was it a DSL EXTREME tech or AT&T tech? AT&T is the local phone company where I live. Any help would be great.
Thanks

Chatsworth, CA

Re: Who performed the installation?

Installation is done by a local AT&T tech.

Review by XMbIPb See Profile

• Location: Sherman Oaks,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Sounds cheap (but haven't seen the bill yet)"
Bad "2 year contract (!); lousy speed"
Overall "Their adds say "

Switched to DSL Extreme Fusion plan hoping for some sort of double digit download speed as the company advertises "up to 20 Mbps" speed. What a crock of crap! The salesperson almost crawled out of her skin to sign us up... but when, after the switch, I compared our DL speed with the prior provider (AT &T), found out that the speed is the SAME! Yep 3.4 Mbps by OOKLA test; 2.95 Mbps by XFINITY test. And, no, we do not live far from the "hub." The tech support guys told me we live "within 8000 feet" of the hub. What hurts the most? The TWO YEAR CONTRACT and full knowledge that they will jack up the rate in a year.

Stay away from DSL Extreme Fusion. It sounds like a scam.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Alright, the above post was done in Spring of this year (2014). It is Fall now. Here is the 6-months-report:

STAY AWAY FROM THIS THING !!!!!!!!!

At first, the connection was just as slow as AT&T’s and would get dropped altogether every few weeks.

What do I mean by slow?
AT&T speed: ~ 250-290 kb/s
DSL Extr. ~ 280 kb/s (initial speed)

(NOTE: the SALESREP WHO SIGNED US UP LIED OUTRIGHT !! When I asked a question along the lines of: “Your advertisement says ‘up to 20 Mbps... well I understand the ‘up to’ part... I understand that I will NOT get 20 Mbps, but it will be much faster that what we have now with AT&T, right?” Guess what she said? She said: “Right.” [Honest answer: there is no way in hell they can run a signal through AT & T lines faster than AT&T. These are the same lines! But most customers (including us) just don’t know enough to understand this. Until now...

At one time they managed to get the speed up to the whopping 0.31 Mbps (!!!)
Down side: the CONNECTION was so UNSTABLE it would get dropped every week or every two weeks now.

More calls to the friendly and perky tech support. (By the way, here are the TECH SUPPORT HOURS: Tier II – 7 a.nm. – 10 p.m. during the weekdays. NONE ON THE WEEKENDS. Tier I (in Philippines) is supposed to be 24/7.... SUPPOSED TO BE! Several times I desperately tried to call on the weekends (yep, dropped again... and again... and again... and needed the connection to work) only to be greeted by a message that informed me that “The working hours of tier II tech support are.... etc. etc. etc.” then “Thank you for calling” then “BEEP” – great work guys!) So... More calls to the friendly and perky tech support... Yep. They did send an AT&T lineman to check the lines. Guess what: the problem continued after that.

The problem continues now.

When I complained that these are NOT THE TERMS OF MY CONTRACT. That the terms of my contract actually stipulate that DSLExtreme provides internet connection, NOT DROPS IT ALL THE TIME, and please cancel my contract, pleeeeeeaaase.... Well, you will never believe the response I got. Here is the response: “YOUR CONTRACT SAYS THAT YOU WILL WORK WITH OUR REPRESENTATIVES TO TROUBLESHOOT THE PROBLEMS WHEN THEY ARISE. WE WILL NOT CANCEL YOUR CONTRACT.”

“But...” I stammered, “But... but... troubleshoot them ALL THE TIME?... “
“TROUBLESHOOT THEM AS MANY TIMES AS IT TAKES,” came the reply!

So...
So...
So... my family and I are completely miserable. It seems that our choices are:
1. slow connection (CURRENT CONNECTION IS 101 KBPS !!!)
2. unstable connection, or
3. NO connection at all.

All I can say: I regret the day I signed up for this scam! I can’t wait to get out of this. I am willing to crawl back to AT&T and ask for their slow but steady service for twice the cost (how sad is that?!)

Maybe our case is just a bad outlier, but from all the misery we are going through, my only advice is STAY AWAY DROM DSLEXTREME !!!!

P.S. If for some reason you do sign up for DSLExtreme, do yourself a favor: immediately go to their webpage, take down their tech support number and write it down on a sheet of paper. You will need it when your connection will be dropped! And the only way to get it will be by going online... And you will not be able to get it because you cannot get connected... And... Well, you see my point, I hope.

Comments:
mtn_area

join:2013-11-20
Crestline, CA

Nice

review. Seems to completely throw distance (roughly 10 - 12mbit is attainable at 2.5k meters), line quality, inside wiring and many other variables to the wind. If the speed is the same between the two providers, then the issue most likely falls down to physical lines (which are AT&T's area), the wiring inside your house (which is your area) or plant issues.

Have you even called to have them check these things, or checked yourself in the case of house wiring?

DSL Extreme

If you're seeing 2.95-3.4 on speed tests, then you are presumably getting higher speed than you were with the previous AT&T circuit. AT&T sells speeds at specific 'tiers', meaning even if your line COULD handle more than, say, 3Mbps, you'd have to pay more to get those higher speeds.

3Mbps is one of their standard speed packages, but as you can see here: »DSL FAQ »What is the 80% bandwidth / speed even if you're signed up for a 3Mbps connection, you won't actually see 3Mbps on a speed test; you'd only see about 2.4 on the speed test, due to the '80% rule', even though your line is actually handling the full 3.0 gross bitrate.

The next step up on AT&T's tiers is the 6Mbps package. However, these days AT&T will not sell 6Mbps at 8000' - you'd need to be within 6000' or so for AT&T to offer such a speed package (and even then, you'd be paying for a 6Mbps package and really only getting about 3/4 of that).

AT&T doesn't have a 4.5 Mbps package or anything else between 3 and 6 - you either pay for 3Mbps (even though your line can run faster), or you overpay for 6 (IF they'll even let you). Fusion, by contrast, is a 'no-tier' service - we charge a single, flat fee and allow your line to run the fastest it can, rather than try to charge you more for higher speeds. In your case, it certainly seems to be helping, as a 3.4 speed test result means you're actually getting about 4.25 gross bitrate, about 50% more than what you'd be able to get on the 3Mbps AT&T package. I'd be willing to see if we can tweak the line to squeeze out even more speed, if your line can support it; feel free to send me a PM with your account info.
XMbIPb

join:2014-03-18

Re: DSL Extreme

Dear DSLx Nick, please do no get me wrong. AT&T is absolutely lousy! Which is why we switched to DSL Extreme hoping for better DSL speeds. Having said that, I can't tell you how disapointed we are with the DSL Extreme performance. In your post you said: "I'd be willing to see if we can tweak the line to squeeze out even more speed, if your line can support it; feel free to send me a PM with your account info."

Please tell me what information you need? At this point I'd do anything g to make it better... Although I doubt anyone can. I just feel stupid falling for DSL Extreme advert...

Re: DSL Extreme

Replied to your PM - if you send me your phone number, or account number, or username, or email address, I should be able to find your account easily enough. I can also search by first and last name, but sometimes there's multiple matches for that.

Chatsworth, CA
I'm sorry you seem to be having trouble. As you may recall when we last spoke back in March, I had optimized the line to about 4.5Mbps downstream, but I had to push it pretty hard to get it that high so you should let me know if that was pushing the line too hard and causing the connection to be intermittent.

That said... the line looks like it adjusted back down a bit over the summer (the increased heat during summer is a contributing factor which can reduce line speeds), but since your troubleshooting with our tech support at end of July it's been running with extremely stable settings; in fact, looking over the past month, there were some resyncs on Sept 1st, and that's it - no other resyncs recorded for the entire month. So, if you've been encountering disconnects over the past month, that would suggest there may be a problem with equipment inside your house, rather than outside.

Furthermore, your line speeds are currently registering 2.2Mbps downstream at the modem, 0.8Mbps up; this also suggests there may be a problem between your modem and your computer, since you're seeing far slower speeds than that on the speed test result you posted (either that, or a problem with the server you're running the speed test on). In reviewing your ticket notes, I can see that several times when you called in, you were unable to get online while you had your very old MWN-WAPR150N router connected, but when our technician had you bypass the router your connection and speed returned to normal. It looks like you have the router bypassed now - are you still having connection problems with the router bypassed? I would suggest running a few speed tests on a few different sites with the router bypassed.

P.S. Our Tier 2 support is open until 5pm on the weekend. You should only get the recording you mentioned if you call after hours and your ticket has already been escalated to Tier 2. If you call in to 866-491-7221 during regular hours, you should be able to get ahold of tech support easily. If you should be having any trouble getting ahold of us via phone for whatever reason, however, you're always welcome to send me a PM here, of course.
XMbIPb

join:2014-03-18

Re: DSL Extreme

Spoke w. another Tier II rep.
Unplugged the modem.
Unplugged the router.
Did... oh the pretty much the usual thing that I "grew to do and love" over and over and over since signing up with DSLExtreme. Things seemed to work... for about 15 minutes. (I am not joking.)

Then... had to do all that all over again. Which bought me another several hours of connection.

Then the service was dropped again. So... I:
Unplugged the modem.
Unplugged the router.
Did... oh the pretty much the usual thing that I "grew to do and love" over and over and over since signing up with DSLExtreme. Interestingly, running Windows 7 troubleshooting utility kept on returning message that said something like: "your system appears to be configured appropriately. Unable to connect to your ISP DNS server."

Then the connection spontaneously returned... then dropped again...

Now have a spotty connection that logs at 1.6 mbps (according too DSLExtr.'s own speed test.) Just long enough to type this response... While waiting for another nice Tier II representative to assist me after "all our representative [finally finish] assisting our customers. Please wait..."

... and "all our representative are assisting our customers. Please wait..."

... and "all our representative assisting our customers. Please wait..."

... and "all our representative assisting our customers. Please wait..."

Nick, I CAN'T EVEN TELL YOU HOW FRUSTRATED I AM! Can you please, please, PLEEEEEEASE tell me what it takes to drop DSLExtreme? I mean short of company provided modem coming to life and physically strangling me, is there an end to this anguish? Please do not take this personally, but when signing up with DSLExtreme we signed up FOR internet service, NOT THE LACK OF IT!

P.S. You know, I don't mean to sound flippant, but there never seemed to be a problem with "wiring inside our house" with AT & T. From the standpoint of diagnosing the problem, wouldn't that point to something... um... other than problem "with wiring inside the house." Seriously....

Re: DSL Extreme

I do see that the technician you spoke with yesterday has submitted a request to send out a field tech, so we can determine if the trouble you're encountering is on the outside or on the inside. Bear in mind that 'inside wiring' can be a bit of a catch-all; an 'inside wiring' problem could be a broken bit of wiring inside, or could be a similar problem such as an unfiltered phone, fax machine, answering machine, alarm system, etc.

You can also get similar symptoms if there's faulty equipment plugged in. The tech has also sent out a replacement modem, in case it's a problem with the modem you're using; it will have a set of filters, and I suggest replacing your current filters with the new ones just in case there's a faulty filter somewhere. I again want to suggest that you should try leaving the router turned off (for an extended period - at least a day or two), since there's considerable evidence that the router may be faulty and causing the issue you're experiencing.

DennisLS

@162.236.144.x

Re: DSL Extreme bad tech, don't buy

Not inside wiring, unless it was bad tech installation! I was thinking of switching, bad technicians here. No switch for me. Leo Leporte needs to be informed of this bad service.

Review by cpuoverck See Profile

• Location: Lawndale,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Service has been responsive when needed"
Bad "Modems provided have a history of failing"
Overall "For DSL I think they are better than dealing with the phone company"

I ordered the 3 Gb service. I get 2.4 reliably and sometimes faster. I have had some trouble with the Modems provided. Sometimes they have dropped off and other times they need to be rebooted to get full speed. This seems to happen in hot weather so I suspect the heat is too much for the modems. They have replaced three over about 6 years which I consider good of them. Email is through Google Gmail and works well and has google phone too.

Last two modems have been comtrend CT-5072T.

member for 1.9 years, 122 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

Nice post

Good to hear from you.

I'm originally a Hawthorne, Torrance guy.
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

Review by Demonfang See Profile

• Location: Spring Mills,Centre,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Great isp that sticks by your side"
Bad "No free dial-up"
Overall "if you just want internet and nothing else, go with dsl extreme"

note: price is for 2 3 down/768 up lines which i load balance

went with dsl extreme after getting tired of verizon being little help when my lines would break, insisting i simply downgrade (sometimes to under 1.0 down back when 768 down packages existed) rather than actually check the (aging) copper in my area (from way back when it was bell atlantic) and repair it as needed. originally heard of dsl extreme many years back from leo laporte if i remember right. switched over a couple years back and it's been great since. problems actually get fixed and i get proper turnaround times on any requests rather than weeks (if ever) from verizon. all of my dsl now goes through dsl extreme (including vacation house), all for a reasonable rate.

only minus have is inability to get 5 or 7 down, but not much i can do about that with a 15k' long loop that is in sad shape, and not enough people in area to warrant an rt. lines also act a little funny during really severe storms, but that's also a vz issue (soggy splice box syndrome+lightning).

member for 3.4 years, 971 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dickmead See Profile

• Location: Pasadena,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Stable, connectivity-wise."
Bad "nothing major, so far"
Overall "Good DSL service. Good phone service too."

·Charter
Had an issue where latency jumped from avg 8ms to over 40ms. Seems the line was switched
to interleaved from fast. IM'ed George, who put call to ATT, and a couple days later it was fixed. Overall, DSLX was, and is, a good ISP, for me.
In spite of a few bumps along the way.
---

Update 04/27/13; upgraded to the Fusion service in January. Enjoying decent speed (~7Mb) and better phone package for less than separate. Hopefully this will be a lasting option and not go the way of the dodo.

I am a bit over 1/2 mile from my CO as the crow flies. However, the wires aren't crows and I am told my distance is about 1-1/2 miles. YMMV

Update 08/27/13; so far so good. Both DSL and phone service working well and I am enjoying the savings over having to deal with AT&T. For me, Fusion has been a win, so far.

Update 8/28/14; download speed dropped from average 6.1Mbs to 5.6Mbs. Investigated with DSLX but no reason or solution. I guess somewhere
a squirrel chewed a wire or a bird pooped on a connection. Sigh.

member for 15 years, 4943 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by pmilligan See Profile

• Location: Indianapolis,Marion,IN
Good "Price, low latency"
Bad "Delays and errors new account setup, no static IP"
Overall "Solid connectivity, still adjusting to new network"

My local ISP left the DSL market end of July, and DSL Extreme was mentioned as an ISP that was still in the business. This is for home use, but I previously have always had business level service so I could run multiple TCP/IP services.

I had multiple static IPs before, and the pre-qualification check said my line would only support one dynamic IP. I've tried to find out why, and was bounced between multiple support people without getting an answer. I also wanted to find out the policy for running web services. It appears it is allowed policy-wise even for home service.

Went ahead and order the 'faster' DSL of 5000/512 kbps as a home service. I chose to continue using my current DSL adapter. Will have to figure out later how to run the various TCP/IP services with a dynamic IP.

Started order on 30-July, and it was reported as activated on 12-August. The DSL adapter accepted my PPPOE log in, but then I lose access to the adapter once it shows WAN connectivity. I called DSLX support, and was not able to confirm my access initially. They didn't understand my non-Microsoft configuration, and also wanted me to give them my password. They recognized they weren't helping me, and said a higher-tier tech would call me back.

When the higher tier tech called back, they had me reset my adapter, and they found a configuration error with my account. After that was corrected, the DSL adapter WAN connection is working. About 4 hours from earlier call to fix.

As many other reviews reported the quality of tech support, I am not surprised with some of the confusion from that. I had hoped for better pre-sales info. I also hoped that since my adapter had worked before, it would be a simple change in account data to get back online. Obviously not that lucky.

After the account error was fixed, I was still having trouble reaching some web-sites, including DSLReports. After a couple of days of working with DSLX support, found I had a local firewall rule that was the problem. My bad on that.

I'll start switching the default Internet connection for my network to DSL Extreme and finish this review.

Comments:

dslx_gm

Your connection...

Hi Pat,

Sorry to hear that you've had a little bit of a rough start. We would be happy to help you get back on track. I took a look at your account and show your line is in sync. That's great as it means the service is connected and you just need to enter your username and password into your router, computer or modem to authenticate and be able to surf the web. That's a very easy process and our support team would be happy to help. I show that your ticket has been picked up by one of our technicians and someone should be reaching out shortly to help. If you miss their call feel free to give them a call back at 866-491-7221 and one of our second level agents will have the call routed to them and will be able to assist. Confident we will be able to get you connected in short order.

Thanks for your business. We look forward to getting you connected and earning your trust. I am confident you will love the service.

Regards,

You're Connected...

Just spoke with the technician who handled your account and she indicated she was able to assist in getting you fully connected. Looks like your line is operating at full speed with solid line readings as well. You should be in great shape.

Enjoy the new service! We sincerely appreciate your business and support.

Regards,
pmilligan

join:2000-10-05
Indianapolis, IN

Re: You're Connected...

Thanks for providing an alternative to SBC.
I'm getting farther, but not in the clear yet. For some reason I cannot connect to www.dslreports.com:80 on the new connection. It times out.

Re: You're Connected...

Welcome you to visit us in our forums here on BBR.

»DSL Extreme

We have an active community of clients that support eachother as well as a a few official DSL Extreme technicians that provide support. dslx_nick See Profile who helps our valued clients there will be reaching out to see if he can help isolate the problem with connecting to DSL Reports.

Thanks

Review by SCOTTSAK See Profile

• Location: San Mateo,San Mateo,CA
Good "better than att"
Overall "good price"

install and change over from att easy. nice to have online help here.

Comments:

Review by bekfe10 See Profile

• Location: Dover,Kent,DE
Good "Upgrade alternative to dry loop service in Verizon FIOS areas, price, provided helpful info prior to ordering"
Bad "No trial period, Supplier Surchage Recovery fee"
Overall "I recommend the service, but do some research before signing up for a yearly contract"

Three years ago, I was very skeptical about switching my cell service from Verizon wireless (which I had used for over 8 years) to Pageplus cellular. As a result, I did a lot of research, read a lot of online reviews (both good and bad) and even called customer service twice to ask a few questions that I could not find answers for online. I wanted to know more about the TOS and understand how the company operates and what type of service they provide. After weighing in the pros and cons, I went ahead and switched my cell service to Pageplus; the port was almost instantaneous. I set up automatic payment on my account the same day and I have never experienced any major issues since then. The money savings over the 3-year period is over $500 and do not take into account the extra features like text and data that I now have on my plan but would otherwise pay for with Verizon.

I started the review with this analogy to reinforce the fact that before getting into something, one needs to do her/his homework because what worked for someone else may not necessarily work for everyone. Call the company if necessary and read existing online reviews (both good and bad) to get a better idea of what you are about to get yourself into.

My situation was similar to those having dry loop DSL service in Verizon areas where FIOS is available. You can’t upgrade your internet with Verizon unless you get FIOS and that is that. As you may already know, standalone FIOS is very expensive. After being a loyal Verizon’s customer for about 12 years (7 years for DSL), they slapped me with two (2) increases totaling $7/month in a year timeframe on my 1/0.384 Mb dry loop DSL. When I contacted higher management they basically acted like they do not need my business anymore when I told them that I have no interest in getting FIOS at the moment. The fact is I do not have cable TV or home telephone with any other company, so I had nothing to bundle the service with to make it affordable. Not happy with the way I was treated, I started actively looking for alternatives to Verizon in my area. The only thing I could get is Comcast Cable or one of those Verizon resellers. I ruled out Comcast for many reasons and look further into the existing subs servicing my area. My choice was either Joiphone internet or DSLX. I tried to call Joiphone 2 days in a row on a weekend and could not get a hold of customer service during working hours shown on their website. When I did talk to someone the following Monday, oh boy was I glad to call before placing my order. I then proceeded to call DSLX office and was able to talk to a nice lady who addressed all of my questions/concerns. Later on, I sent an IM to dslx_Nick through the DSLReports forum (since I am a member) for more technical questions. Nick quickly replied to my message with answers to all of my questions and provided me with critical pathways to help making an informed decision. And this back and forth went on for about three (3) days. I would like to note that Nick actually pointed out some scenarios where it would not make sense for me to transfer my internet service to them since I was grandfathered with Verizon (to me, that is integrity!). I also read the entire DSLX terms of service (TOS) for high speed internet. Well, about that you may want to know that according to the TOS it is almost impossible to break the yearly contract with DSLX and they do not offer any 30-day trial or grace period. Also, I was told that the price goes up about $5/month if you decide to renew after the first year of service. Therefore, you need to do your homework and make sure that you are doing the right thing before ordering service with them.

After all the readings and questioning, I decided that I was going to go with DSLX and started backing up all my Verizon emails to another account. Also, per Nick’s advice I called Verizon and asked for my dry loop DSL number in order to speed up the process and avoid downtime. Late on 2/13/2013, I ordered the 3/0.768 Mb dry loop DSL service package from DSLX for a monthly total of $27.83 (including a $2.88 supplier surcharge recovery fee – not sure what that fee is about since the 1998 Internet Tax Freedom Act bars federal, state, and local governments from taxing internet access and from imposing discriminatory internet-only taxes – except for 10 grandfathered States) with a 1-year contract. Since I provided my dry loop number in the comments area of step 4 of the ordering process, on 2/14/2013 DSLX updated my order in their system to replace the auto generated dry loop number for a swift process. On 2/18/2013 at 4:22 PM ET I received an email with an activation date of 2/22/2013. I was later informed by Nick that DSLX is trying to get my service up and running on 2/19/2013. Sure enough, the morning of 2/19/2013 my service was activated. Needless to say that my Verizon account was closed as well, but fortunately all my emails were already moved. All I had to do was to log into my Verizon modem to verify that my new service was provisioned, delete the Verizon connection (you can also set it to Manual) and create a new connection with my DSLX username and password. My switch happened overnight, technically with no downtime. My service is running strong ever since with no interruption or issues whatsoever. The speed tests from Speedtest, Speakeasy, and Verizon all showed between 2.8-2.9 Mb download and about 0.7Mb upload. I am glad I switched because I am now able to upgrade my service speed a little while still running as strong as before.

To summarize, if you have “rock solid” dry loop DSL service with Verizon that can’t be upgraded because FIOS is available, DSLX is for you. However, if you already have ongoing issues with your existing DSL service or never experienced with DSL internet service before, DSLX may not be for you.

If you find this review helpful and decide to sign up for service, DSL Extreme has what is called "Refer-a-Friend" program where you can get a $20 credit on your account when signing up for a new account as being referred by a friend. All you need to do is make sure that at step 2 of the sign-up procedure when asked: “How did you hear about DSL Extreme?” you select "A Friend (Existing DSL Extreme User)" from the drop down box and you can enter the username "z a n m i" and we will both get $20 credits on our accounts. In any event, do your homework first, backup your important emails before even placing your order, and obtain your dry loop DSL number when appropriate for a seamless transition.

Should anything stated in the review change, I will make sure to update it for facts accuracy.

Update 1

It has been 4 months now since I have switched my DSL service over to DSL Extreme. Everything is still working great and the download and upload speeds have been consistent. I have only had 2 service outages which lasted less than 24 hours. The first one was due to the fact that the account ownership was not properly transferred to DSLX by Verizon and the second one (more recently) was due to some Verizon maintenance issues on the northeast coast. Otherwise, so far so good and the tech guys on the forum respond quickly whenever I message them. I will provide another update in 4 months should anything change.

Update 2

It has been 10 months now since I signed up with DSLX and service is still rock solid with. I do not have any outage to report for this period. As I explained in my very first review if you had strong DSL service before switching to DSLX most likely you will not experience any major issue after signing up with them. Bottom line: if the price is still good at the end of my contract, I will most likely renew my contract. If it goes up more than the $5 promised, I will most likely get Comcast. I will update everyone should anything in the service change.

Update 3

This is my last update for this year period. I can’t believe it has been almost a year since I switched to DSLX. Service was great throughout the year to the exception of a few outages, which were quickly resolved. The only thing I might add is that DSLX really need to work with Verizon to remove the “supplier surcharge recovery fees: SSRF” ($2.88) which I think is unnecessary. When you compare the rates between AT&T areas and Verizon areas, you can see that this fee is bogus. In my opinion, this is just another way for Verizon to make more money off of customers. I live in Delaware; I can tell you that this fee is close to being illegal according to Delaware laws, but good luck getting DSLX to work with you on this. I guess that is the only bad side to DSLX; they lock you in a contract early in the game and do not try to fight on behalf of the customers unlike the MVNOs who keep getting the prepaid customers amazing deals. Anyway, my year will be up in February and my new price will be $32.87 total for 3/0.768 DSL service. This is really where the removal of the SSRF would come handy! I am really contemplating getting 25/5 Comcast for $30/month (no contract) for a year, but only time will tell. Overall this is a great service and I also commend DSLX for their customer service. In term of billing, they would have my commendation if they have tried to save their customers a buck here and there whenever feasible! I am positive they can re-negotiate certain terms with Verizon specifically since AT&T fees are pretty decent compare to Verizon. If I do decide to renew my contract for another year, I will keep posting quarterly updates for people looking into making the switch from Verizon to DSLX.

Update 4

I renewed my contract for another year with DSLX and service is still rock solid. It is a little hard to swallow 3/0.768 Mbps DSL service for $32.87, but I realize that this is more than enough for what I need. I hope the service continue to be reliable and hopefully someday they will be able to get rid of the SSR fee to keep it under $30. For people looking to sign up for service remember if your service is currently not reliable most likely it will still be not reliable with DSLX. Just look for other alternatives. If your service with is running great, then this is a go for DSLX. Signup and remember they have a Refer-a-Friend" program where you can get a $20 credit on your account when signing up for a new account as being referred by a friend. All you need to do is make sure that at step 2 of the sign-up procedure when asked: “How did you hear about DSL Extreme?” you select "A Friend (Existing DSL Extreme User)" from the drop down box and you can enter the username "z a n m i" and we will both get $20 credits on our accounts. Enjoy and good luck!

Update 5

Service is still the same since my renewal back in February; speeds are consistent and rock solid. There was only one major outage to report on June 1st, but it appears it was at Verizon level. They generated a repair ticked with Verizon after testing the line and the issue was quickly resolved. I still do not see why I am paying the high SSR fee to Verizon, but I guess it is what it is. Hopefully some day DSLX will see fit to negotiate the removal of this bogus fee with Verizon.

Comments:
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
·MegaPath

Recovery Fee

Depending on who you talk to at DSLX depends on the answer you get. Before they used to claim they were charged it by AT&T and only charged it in AT&T areas but as it shows, they do it in all areas and looks at their way of raising prices without raising them. Especially since other major providers do not charge this. DSLX's parent company- Ikano doesn't even charge this fee to their wholesale customers, nor their other DSL customers, just under the DSLX brand it looks like.
andre2

join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA

Verizon dry loop number

Verizon dry loop customers can get their dry loop number at »my.verizon.com . Log in, then go to I Want To "Manage My Services". There should be a Home Phone section labeled "SIMULATED DRY LOOP WITH HOTLINE ANNOUNCEMENT - RESIDENCE" and if you click on "View All", it shows the dry loop number. I already knew it from somewhere else but VZ doesn't print it on any of their bills.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what "HOTLINE ANNOUNCEMENT" is? Is that something you're supposed to get if you plug a phone directly into the jack?
andre2

join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA

Verizon billing after the switch to DSLX

After you switched to DSLX, did you have to contact Verizon for any reason (including having to ask them to stop your bill and get a partial refund for the unused part)? My Verizon service has been trouble-free except for when changes are needed, which they tend to screw up a lot, and I'm a little worried they may cut off the DSL by mistake after it's been switched over to DSLX.
bekfe10

join:2010-01-18
Dover, DE

Re: Verizon billing after the switch to DSLX

@andre2
After you switched to DSLX, it is recommended to call Verizon to cancel your account, but you need to wait until your service is up and running to do so. Make sure you note down the time of the call and the name of the agent you talk to just in case. After that you should receive a final bill with payment or refund. If your service has been trouble free, most likely it will continue to be that way. Once DSLX gives you an activation date, the service is technically with them and they should help you resolve any service issues you might have. So far I have not had any real issues with my service. I was also trouble free with Verizon!

Review by socrates See Profile

• Location: usa
Good "never received service"
Bad "customer service including managers"
Overall "Give a good price, but awful customer service"

This process has proven to be the absolute WORST customer service from any phone or internet provider ever. I spoke twice on the day service was supposed to be connected. After hours of tech support, they told me they would get someone out from 8am - 8pm to turn on our DSL. They confirmed that the technician would not be able to come in without someone home. I explained that I work, but would take the day off if they were sure. I proceeded to call 5 times and was assured each time that they called and verified someone would come before 8pm. I explained each time that it was exceptionally difficult for me to leave work and I really needed to make sure someone arrived. Of course no one came and no one called. Finally, when I called for the 5th time at 8:20, I was told ha ha they are not coming today and there is no one to call. They didn't make it. No one called me. It was promised all day that they would come. I finally spoke to a supervisor, Michael to whom I explained the situation. He said that he would do his best to get someone out 4-6 pm the next day so I would not have to take the whole day off and that someone would confirm in the morning. Of course, no one called to confirm anything. When we called again, we were told that they would have a tech come 12-4. However, again, no one came. My husband left work early for a second time and called the supervisor, who finally called back to tell us that there is a state of emergency (which the phone company does not show) and they cannot come again. I was exceptionally upset and explained that this cannot continue. However, no additional attempt was made to call me until 4 pm the following Monday, when the representative proceeded to tell me that the phone company came Saturday and could not get in to the phone room. After 9 phone calls, 2 of which were with supervisors, with every single phone call including the fact that someone needed to be home for the phone company to access, no one bothered to even call. I am so extremely disappointed. I again asked that a supervisor in charge call me if they wanted to try to keep my account. No one called until the next day to say that someone would need to be home between 8am-8pm again if we wanted service. No customer service, no attempt to fix this situation. I finally spoke to another supervisor today Nick, who spent the phone call going through the times and conversations. Instead of realizing a customer had taken off work twice and asked how DSL Extreme could fix the situation, he proceeded to explain that it was the phone company. When I explained that I purchased service from them, not the phone company in the hope of customer service, which I did not receive, he continued to explain that their reps did the right thing and the problem was the phone co. Not one time did he offer to fix the problem or make sure we get service. Not once. Then they proceeded to tell me that they have already charged me for service I have never had and they are not sure that they will give me a refund. The manager will evaluate if I should be refunded for service I never, ever had. Will update in 24-48 hours when they make their decision

Comments:

dslx_gm
Chatsworth, CA

I have reviewed your account...

Hi Irena,

I would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced in trying to get your service established. The vast majority of our Fusion Broadband installations go very smooth and this is out of the ordinary. I show that when it was determined that your service had been connected but you were not able to get sync within your home that our technicians determined a dispatch by AT&T was necessary and set one up. Unfortunately it appears that due to unforeseen circumstances AT&T missed that dispatch and despite being escalated by us was not able to get out there the next day either. I understand that this can be an inconvenience and for that I do sincerely apologize. I understand your desire to just get the service fully connected within your home and can understand your frustration. I would appreciate the opportunity to try to get an AT&T technician rescheduled to come out and test your connection. I am confident that once we get the technician there that they will be able to address and get the problem resolved. I am going to ask one of my lead technicians to give you a call to see if we can get a dispatch setup again so we can get you connected and move forward.

Thanks,