DSL EXTREME page on DSLReports

Review by miampro See Profile

• Location: Woodland,Yolo,CA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Connection works, no sales calls, self sevice website"
Bad "must have landline for DSL as my area no dryloop or truestream available"
Overall "Was a great service now not cost competive with local cable or u-verse"

I have been a customer with DSL Extreme since 2007, and have seen me through two addresses. Ordering was easy I remember entering my information into their website and then they gave me an activation date. I did have to call tech support to change a setting on my modem. They allowed the use of my old ATT Yahoo modem although they do provide rental modems to customers that do not have one. I started with their 1.5 mbs then moved to the 3.0 mbs service after we got a Roku player. We can stream two Roku's and have a couple of computers surfing the web with out much of a slowdown. The service as never to my knowledge has been down. I really liked that DSL extreme would send any email out a month before the contract was up and renewing was fairly easy. unfortunately for renewing we could not get the deal that new customers could get. However without any data caps the service was great.

Unfortunately this year will be my last with DSL Extreme. My contact is due to expire in Feb 2015 and I find that having an ATT landline at $35.00 on top of the DSL service not to be cost effective anymore. DSL Extreme does offer a Fusion service that I can not qualify for due to my subdivision being on a remote terminal. Also although ATT sells Uverse in my area I have checked several times with DSL Extreme to find out I do not qualify for their Truestream Service [Which is resold Uverse] nor their DSL Direct which is Dryloop DSL with out a landline. Now I am forced to decided on choosing either my cable company Wave Broadband or Uverse as being the more cost effective route since I will be ditching my POTS line and switching over to a Voip provider for landline service.

Overall I have been very happy with my service with DSL Extreme its a shame that ATT will not allow DSL Extreme to resell Uverse to me and now I will have to go an sign up with ATT to get internet with out a POTS landline service.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week
lodged a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by davidechen See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "good speeds and price and service and customer service"
Bad "the wait if something goes wrong"
Overall "i highly recommend"

i took the leap of faith and signed up not knowing what i was going to get other than knowing that i live in the southbay (CA) about 2600 feet from the C.O. (central office). Im getting 20 down and 1 up!! the service is $34.99 plus $10 to uncle sam's pocket plus i dunno some other weird fee makes it $48 toal, i cant complain for both phone (land line) and internet at that price

im a very happy customer!!! But it was with some headaches. First the activation date the service wasnt activated as i had no dial tone. They scheduled me for technician to come down 3 days later, tech ends up finding out they didnt really activate service. tech leaves and now i have service but the speed was slow and i had to call again. thankfully i called early and tech came same day and turned out he had to climb the pole and fix some wires that had been crimped like over 5 times and was slowing my speed ontop of the fact the material they were crimped with was corroding . So after about 5 days i am finally up and going. all i can say is worth the wait at these nice speeds. I will say that the level 2 tier support from dslextreme is very very nice and are one of the nicest and easiest to work with support tiers i have ever dealt with and i deal with alot of diffrerent customer service people on a frequent basis.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:

Review by bwager See Profile

• Location: usa
Good "tech support 24/7"
Bad "when they want more money from you, they just slow your speed down and try to upgrade your service."
Overall "Bottom line is. my service now is slower than when I was with dialup service."

Basic at 12.98 pm
Bottom line is. my service now is slower than when I was with dialup service.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

dslx_nick
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

DSL Extreme

Hello bwager,

I'm sorry your service doesn't seem to be working to your satisfaction. I see that you've been with us for many years, and thanks to this your account is currently grandfathered in at a special low price. I assure you, we appreciate your sticking with us, and certainly don't do anything to throttle your speed below your provisioned 768kbps. However, if you want higher speeds while watching your videos online, that does mean you'd have to sign up for a more expensive speed package. If you have any questions or need any assistance with this, please feel free to send me a PM and I'll be happy to help.

Review by ctruong See Profile

• Location: Costa Mesa,Orange,CA
Good "Steady, Reliable, Fast Internet"
Bad "Slightly some invoices errors to watch out for"
Overall "Worth every penny for 12 months!"

I got this promotion deal when it first came out where the installation and fee was both waived. This saved me a lot over getting AT&T's U-verse (that is usually bundled with phone or TV that I did not want). The AT&T Tech came and installation was a breeze, although I felt bad since our attic is not really a regular attic and he must of had to crouch and work away around the wooden beams.

At first once I got the service up and working I was not as fully satisfied because I found out the Ping was shaky and the Internet would almost drop off everytime the microwave was on (a whole new issue with the close frequencies on the microwave affecting the WiFi's). But later after some effort I got a long Ethernet Cable and Phone Line that I could move it further into our house near the center. That definitely did the trick! My ping is as steady as if I was on DSL and had no other competition on the line. Furthermore, after testing out the microwave, I found that it had absolutely no effect on the WiFi. This is most likely due to the fact that originally our micro was right between the modem on one side of the house to our appliances on the other side. Since then, I have never gotten the internet dropped or anywhere close to problematic. The advertised speed was definitely accurate for my location, it is ranging right in the 17 Mbps of the 18 Mbps speed advertised.

The customer support on their site could use a bit of work as they try to contact you by phone if you have questions or issues, I am not always available by phone so it was a bit of an issue. I experienced some issues with extra and unknown charges to my account and card but after notifying the department they went to fix it. Sometimes my card was charged extra and I had to wait until the could process the money back to me. I found it best to communicate through IMs on this site (dslreports.com) as they are very fast at responding (usually 1-2 business days) and extremely helpful and understanding.

I am very satisfied with the service. It meets our family needs and completely beats our old DSL speed of 1.2 Mbps by AT&T.

Comments:

Review by mad See Profile

• Location: US
Good "Good, steady reliable connection"
Overall "I'm happy"

I ordered the 12/1 package, I think that's what its called but actual speeds are 16/1.5.

Order and install was pretty smooth. The install took a bit longer, around 3.5 hours, but they said it could take up to 4 hours. They had to do some outside wiring repairs because a lot of hack jobs screwed it up over the years.

It comes with a Pace router/modem.

Once everything was set up, the speeds were consistent since the day of the install. I had the service a little over a month now and haven't had any problems.

I've been a customer since 2001, so you can see Dslextreme is a reliable company.

Comments:

Review by SmilingBob See Profile

• Location: League City,Galveston,TX
Good "Outstanding Customer Service, DSL without a land line (Verizon)"
Overall "Great alternative for anyone wanting solid DSL service"

We switched to DSL Extreme (DSLX) in 2013 since we were fed up with Cable. We had used Verizon DSL before without a land line, but new policies require phone service. I discovered DSLX by browsing the DSL Reports forums, went to their website, plugged in my address and bam. DSL service available, without a land line phone, using the Verizon network. DSLX and similar companies are Virtual Operators on a larger Telco network, with their own policies, billing, and did I mention no phone requirement (only in Verizon service areas I believe). Signup and installation were pain free. I was offered a free modem for service but did not need one as I still owned a modem from my Verizon DSL days which worked just fine. Speeds and reliability were every bit as good as my Verizon DSL experience, which makes sense as it is the same network. We currently have the 3Mbps / 768Kbps tier of service which is plenty fast to do everything we need, including streaming Netflix in 720p HD.

One of DSLX best features is their outstanding customer service. There were a couple of times where I needed help with service (one was a router problem, the other was upgrading the service tier for faster speed). Every time I have interacted with DSLX customer service, I have spoken to real people who are not outsourced, speak perfect english, and patiently go above and beyond to resolve whatever the issue may be. I cannot stress how good the experience has been in regards to the terrific people that work at DSLX who just hit it out of the park every time I've dealt with them. I think we get used to poor customer service, especially in the Telco and Cable industries, so this has been a breath of fresh air. Kudos to the whole team that makes it all work.

Bottom line - great service and reliability and DSL without a land line made it a no-brainer for my family. Highly recommended!

member for 1.2 years, 355 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by gagpatr See Profile

• Location: America
Good "TrueStream works faster than my old DSL"
Bad "Installation was very annoyning"
Overall "TrueStream works and is solid and faster than old DSL extreme."

I had DSL service from DSL Extreme (which used my ATT phone line) for several years.
Although I paid for service up to 3mbps, I averaged 2.4 or less.
When DSL Extreme announced TrueStream that uses fiber and does not need an ATT phone line, I wanted to jump to it.
DSLExtreme told me I had to use their modem/router box.
I told DSLExtreme that I had a high end router and wanted to use mine.
DSL Extreme told me no problem, when the technition installs the modem/router box, just tell him and he will turn off the new router and plug mine in.
DSL Extreme offered TrueStream to my house for up to 3mbps and we coordinate the installation by notifying me 30 minutes before the technition arrived at my home. So I ordered it.
Well without going into too much detail, DSL Extreme was completely out of the loop during the installation.
The Service technition was from ATT and he explained to me that TrueStream is really ATT's U-Verse.
The installation took 2 days because ATT never hooked the line from my house to a box a block away that provided the service. The man that came to my home was the "inside" guy and to hook up the line to the new service requried an "outside" guy. So, after the outside guy finish his job on day one, another inside guy came the next day and finished the connection.

I told the ATT Technition that I wanted to turn off the ATT router and use mine, he said NO CAN DO. ATT does not touch anything on 'myside' of the router.
Well the service was activated and to my plesant surprise I was getting 3.4mbps.
The price of the TrueStream was the same as my old DSL service but speed was better.
So far I'm happy that I made the jump to TrueStream.

I called DSL Extreme tech support about hooking up my router but they didn't know how and was suppose to have another person call me within 24 hours. So within the 24 hours I figured out how to connect my router. I decided to instead of using my router exclusively, I decided to Add my router to the network. It was simple and all I had to do was take the wire that went into the Old DSL modem and plug it into port 1 of the new router and change one setting in my old router to make it an Access Point (AP). Access to my old router IP changed to the ip of the first port of the new router, which can be found in the new router admin screen.

Well, around 20 hours after I placed a call to tech support about hooking up my router, I received a call from DSLExtreme Tech Support and this guy did not know how to hook it up either. He told me he has TrueStream in his house and he was going to hook up his CISCO router to the new router the next day. So, then I told him I figured it out. I told him to call me if he needs help. He also told me if he figures it out he would get back to me. That was 10 days ago and I never heard back from him.

The reason I wanted to have my old router as part of the network is because it has 2 USB ports that I have hard drives attached, the new router/modem has no USB ports.

So bottom line I'm happy with the service.
And in about a week or 2 I will cancel my ATT phone line, thank God.
DSL Extreme has some growing and learning to do but I still believe in them and would recommend this service to everyone.
Lower price than ATT, faster service than DSL and mostly good support.

Comments:

Review by AndyBW See Profile

• Location: Irvine,Orange,CA
Good "Value for money, Excellent support, Reliable, No data caps"
Overall "Would recommend DSLExtreme TrueStream"

I have been a long time DSL customer of DSLextreme and have been extremely happy with the quality and value of the service. The only issue was that I had to maintain a land with AT&T which was costing me more than $55 per month. I had been contemplating of switching to U-Verse or Cable modem so that I could drop the land-line but was reluctant to switch.

As soon as DSLextreme announce their TrueStream service which would allow me to drop my landline I ordered the 12M/1M package which was also great value compared to the equivalent AT&T U-Verse package. Free installation was also another incentive.

Initial install date was set for 2 weeks after I placed the order but there were a few hiccups on the AT&T side getting the service installed, it took 3 visits for them to sort line issues from the Fiber box to my NID, but DSLextreme were on top of working with AT&T, and re-scheduled follow up visits as quickly as possible to get me up and running.

The Pace 5031NV Gateway was installed and initially I had some concerns about the performance of a 2.4Ghz N only Router compared to the Dual Band N router I was currently using. But so far I have been pleasantly surprised, the signal strength at the far ends of my house is better than before and performance is good.

Update on the 5031NV Gateway, after streaming a few movies using an AppleTV and Xbox360 it performs very well, signal strength at this devices is higher and picture quality is better which is also due to 3X the Internet speed from before. The only negative thing is that the Ethernet ports are only 10/100 so transferring files from my network drive to my wired network attached desktop PC is not as fast as it could be, but this is not too big an issue. Bottom line is I see no reason to replace AT&T supplied router.

Very happy with the new TrueStream service and equipment.

Comments:

Review by Brian3527 See Profile

• Location: Riverside,Riverside,CA
Good "DSLExtreme is finally able to offer more than 6MB DSL with the introduction of trueSTREAM!"
Bad "Ordering process took almost a month in my case"
Overall "If you are stuck on DSL and want to join the 21st century and have true high speed internet, trueSTREAM is an excellent choice!"

·T-Mobile US
I have been stuck on 6Mbps for a number of years. I had two options for faster speed, either Charter or AT&T U-verse direct, but couldn't stand the thought of joining either due to their company policies and/or customer service. U-verse has been really trying hard to get me to join them. I get probably 2-3 pieces of advertising material from them a week.

I first saw a thread in the DSLExtreme forum that they were offering a new service called trueSTREAM. I thought could this actually be available to me? When DSLExtreme first starting offering Fusion, I also had hopes of actually getting a faster internet service. They were quickly dashed when I found out Fusion was only offered to a small group in the LA area and some other metro areas far away from me. It is also only offered direct from the CO, so if you are off an RT like me there is virtually no hope of that service ever being offered. Anyway after seeing the thread, I went to DSLX's site and checked the services available to my address and was quite surprised/pleased to see that trueSTREAM was available to me up to 45Mbps. I also took note that it was uncapped, had free installation and after a little digging I realized it was just re-branded AT&T U-verse. I thought about it for a few weeks, debated the cost, pros and cons etc., and went ahead and decided to order for the main reason of having faster speed for less money, after of course cancelling my AT&T land line. I was also growing tired of having my kids on YouTube and not being able to stream a movie at the same time without buffering issues. 6Mbps is just not practical anymore for today's internet needs.

One of my biggest concerns before ordering was what will happen after my year contract is up. Does the price go up with no option of locking in at a lower rate if I sign a contract for another year? After posting a message in the forum on this site regarding this matter, George the COO of DSLX, promptly replied that you simply go to a month to month rate at an undiscounted price, the discount being just under $15 on most of the packages. So pretty much after a year, during which if no alterations to my subscription are made, I can expect an increase of roughly $15. That will pretty much negate my savings of having trueSTREAM (first year @ $52) at my current speed (I chose the 18/1.5 plan) versus having both POTS and 6MEG DSL (about $68). If charging $6.50 for the modem/router wasn't part of my current pricing, I would still be saving a few dollars even after the increase in a year. After ordering I hear they now offer the modem/router for purchase at a price of $100 in lieu of the monthly rental fee, which would probably have made since in my case since I plan on keeping the service as long as the service remains as good as it has been initially. I figure I can drop my speed down to the 12Mbps package if I find the service is too pricey after a year or consider another option.

My only gripe of the service so far has been the ordering process. It took 28 days from my order date to the time my installer completed my install. I understand DSLExtreme is in a difficult position when they have to rely on AT&T's installation team to install their service, but good communication with customers when difficulties arise is essential. I grew worried when I hadn't received my confirmation email a few days before the date I selected as my first choice for installation. I started a thread in the DSLX forum and sent George an IM with my account info. He promptly replied that there was an issue with my local AT&T facility and they weren't able to provide DSLX an install date for my order. I wondered if DSLX would have even contacted me if I hadn't become concerned. About 5 days followed, all the time being in a period of limbo. I finally got my confirmation notice on the 7th of October after I initially ordered on the 22nd of September. Unfortunately, I had to wait for an install date on the 20th of October as AT&T was booked on the days I was available. I know this is a new process for DSLExtreme and that they are still ironing out the bugs so I am trying hard not to let this frustration affect my overall opinion of DSLX especially after 10 years of generally stellar service.

The installation was smooth sailing with a minor hiccup. The installer arrived a half hour early and found no service at my phone box. He had to call an outside installer to come an enable service. He ran some test from my inside phone jack to my outside phone box and said there should be no problem activating the service, once the outside connection is present. He left and came back in about an hour after the outside installer had arrived and completed my installation. He installed the Pace 5031NV router/modem and tested my connection from my desktop. All was good. And even with the outside line problem he was finished within my installation time window. He left his cell number and his supervisor's contact info and said to contact him directly with any connection problems inside a month. After he left, I placed the Pace in passthru as I want my dual band ASUS router doing the heavy lifting on my network, which did not affect my internet performance. Service has been excellent for the first week. No dropouts and speed tests consistently indicate an over provisioned speed of about 22Mbps down and 1.8Mbps up. Pings to the closest speed test servers give the same result as my DSL did at about 15ms.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Original DSL review:

Well after hearing the constant ads ($14.95/month) for DSLExtreme, I thought I would give them a try. I have been growing more and more unsatisfied with Charter Pipeline, the local cable provider in my area every day. With Charter its a whopping $30 a month for the cheapest package (386/128), and nothing but headaches. Anyway, I signed up online with DSLExtreme, and got the install package in two days. They sent me an email saying the connection would be active in one week from the order date, but I was live in just 4 days. There was one service outage but this was before my start date, so I can't ding them for that. A speed test usually comes in around 1200/310 kps, however on rare occasions my speeds are significantly lower for some reason.

UPDATE:

Well after a year DSLExtreme has been pretty much a great DSL provider in terms of service. The issues I had with line stability went away within a week after installation, and it has been pretty much smooth sailing.

UPDATE:

After 2 years of service I am glad I opted to stay with DSLX after the 1st year. I wasn't going to pay $21.95 for 1500/384 so I upgraded to 3000/512 for $24.95 for the 2nd year. Very stable, reliable service over the last year. Maybe only one brief outage that was on AT&T's side, if I remember right. Speed tests, line tests are always very clean. I just renewed for one more year, same speed at $2 less, $22.95. I debated 6 Meg for $32.95, but decided it would be a waste. Get DSLX!

Comments:

Review by pismodiver See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
Good "Fast, easy install; great speeds; good value; can finally ditch landline"
Bad "Nothing so far."
Overall "Happy that I could get faster service and not have to switch providers."

I've been a DSLX customer for probably close to 10 years total, in San Francisco and previously in Pismo Beach, CA.

My last upgrade was to the 6M/786K service, although I don't think I ever got better than 4M/600K in my present location. Also it seems that I was having to reset the (10 yo original) modem every couple of weeks, when it used to go for months without a problem.

I had been hoping for faster service, but I could not bring myself to go with cable, if for no other reason than I hate Comcast with the heat of a thousand white hot suns. So when I saw DSLX's twitter mention their new trueStream service, I knew this would be for me. I went with the 12/1 service, although I was eligible for the 45M service, because realistically, it would have been for bragging, not because I require that much bandwidth.

I got my 1st choice install time and the tech arrived right in the middle of the two hour window. After poking around the box for a few minutes, he discovered that something needed to be hooked up from the "box" about 90ft away, so another tech needed to be called. (I know nothing about telephone electronics, so pardon my lack of specifics.) This took about another 1.5 hours, but when the tech came back to my house, it took about 20 minutes for him to install the AT&T branded 5031NV gateway, and it was up and running. It was simple to log on to and change the SSID and PW, and the GUI is easy to use.

My first speed test showed 15M/1.5M, faster than what I paid for, yay! So for about $10 more, I have 3x the speed, and I can finally ditch my AT&T landline and save $40/month. I've been happy with DSLExtreme in the past, so I anticipate smooth sailing.