Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

DSL EXTREME page on DSLReports

Review by ThePizzaboy See Profile

• Location: Exeter,Tulare,CA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Customer service is out of this world good! Shout out to Nick!"
Bad "Still runs on Verizon's infrastructure, and they have dropped the ball a few times"
Overall "Highest speed available in my small town, and I'm happy to have their customer support!"

12 months contract @ ~$55/month after taxes/fees, and thats not a terrible value considering they are the only game in town besides ordering directly through Verizon at higher rates. However, Verizon doesn't offer the 7mb package that DSLExtreme does, so it was a no brainer. Their customer support has been fantastic and they've really earned their money in my opinion.

Verizon dragged their feet on connecting me, and then when they finally did connect me they didn't properly configure my connection at their CO, but Nick was there at every step of the way to help out and goose the process on Verizon's end. Hes a true pro, and I cant say good enough things about all their customer service.

Thank you to DSLExtreme to supplying actual high speed internet to my little podunk farming town!

member for 8.2 years, 77 visits, last login: a few hours ago
lodged a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by geonap See Profile

• Location: Glendale,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party Southwestern Bell
Good "wow... this little text box is too small to list."
Bad "hmm, this isn't a review for my previous cable company, NO BAD POINTS!"
Overall "If you are in an area capable of DSLEXTREME and decide to go with another company, you are CRAZY"

So I finally got sick of my 3mbit cable.. decided to pay $8/month more than $42/month and get DSL.. 6mbit.. wow, the support is amazing, you get the general manager and everyone in the company to support you.. how many of you can you say, SBC has ever done this? they may have more goons at SBC working.. but the PERSONAL service that you receive, SBC = $50/month for 6 months, then $65/month for the months after that, THAT IS WACK. The service and support received from the dslreports forum for DSLEXTREME by far has exceeded the cumulative support I had received from SBC from 2000 to 2003 or whatever it was.. then cable from 2003 to a couple days ago.. I download 640kb/s maximum from LA, 10 miles from my home, which is great.. better than 3mbit from cable, the 640kb/s maximum is because of the DSL overhead of 20%, you'll notice that you download no more than 5.1mbit maybe, even with 6mbit service, but let me tell you, for the price, I haven't been happy since i went from dialup to 1.5mbit dsl when SBC first launched their dsl services here 5 years ago. I just want to say, think about the SUPPORT if you're deciding on going to SBC, the support at DSLEXTREME in my eyes is probably 20 times better than the internet support at SBC or Verizon.. If you are having doubts, send me a message and i'll change your mind.

Overall: the knowledge of their support personnell with their capability of diagnosing their problems easily is far superior to any other support I've ever had, plus the satisfaction of downloading at 5mbit now, oh my lord!

The Order process was simple, ordered it, got an email, couple days later, got an activation email.. set to activate a little later.. but i was lucky, it activated earlier for me.
I used a speedstream 5100 modem my uncle gave me when he was at verizon, i got into the modem and changed it to bridge mode.. my uncle is with DSLExtreme now also! i have 5 dynamic ips, i would love to have 1 static at the same price in the future (50/month) but we'll see where that goes.

btw,there is like a 2.50/month regulatory or somthing fee, too lazy to look it up, some government stuff!

THANKS DSLEXTREME!

UPDATE AS OF MAY 07 2007

I SWITCHED TO CHARTER LIKE A MONTH AGO.. 10mbit, i love, i love.. but charter blows goats and i want DSLextreme but i really love the 10mbit downloads heh.. right now charter is lagging.. i'll always refer new customers/businesses to dslextreme though... best company ever.

UPDATE AS OF MAY 02 2014

DSLExtreme has been at it for me, signed up another customer this morning for their next office.. I love being able to talk to Tier2 and get the numbers needed to determine if it'll be stable enough for voice or what my issues will be, nick @ DSLExtreme has been the greatest help i've ever had.. anywhere with an ISP. Their FUSION offering is great, i'm signing up someone once every two weeks.

UPDATE 4/16/2015
DSLExtreme should be renamed to NICKExtreme.

Nick is my weekly help with all my clients with regard to questions, installations, recommendations and everything else.
I'm still activating new clients on NICKExtreme every other week and continue to love it.

member for 9.3 years, 619 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Demonfang See Profile

• Location: Spring Mills,Centre,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Great isp that sticks by your side"
Bad "No free dial-up"
Overall "if you just want internet and nothing else, go with dsl extreme"

note: price is for 2 3 down/768 up lines which i load balance

went with dsl extreme after getting tired of verizon being little help when my lines would break, insisting i simply downgrade (sometimes to under 1.0 down back when 768 down packages existed) rather than actually check the (aging) copper in my area (from way back when it was bell atlantic) and repair it as needed. originally heard of dsl extreme many years back from leo laporte if i remember right. switched over a couple years back and it's been great since. problems actually get fixed and i get proper turnaround times on any requests rather than weeks (if ever) from verizon. all of my dsl now goes through dsl extreme (including vacation house), all for a reasonable rate.

only minus have is inability to get 5 or 7 down, but not much i can do about that with a 15k' long loop that is in sad shape, and not enough people in area to warrant an rt. lines also act a little funny during really severe storms, but that's also a vz issue (soggy splice box syndrome+lightning).

update [3/9/15]: nothing new to add, service still working great with congestion resolved thanks to the hard work and dedication of nick. still hoping that one day i get something out here that is faster, especially now with dslextreme changing hands not too long ago (if anyone has a link to any way to put my area on a list for such, link below).

member for 3.9 years, 1270 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by BellaStorm See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Fast, unlimited usage (no data caps), over provisioned"
Overall "If you have Att Uverse, you are MUCH better off going through trueSTREAM from DSLExtreme."

I ordered my service about 40 days before I wanted it installed, because of the free professional installation. The package ordered was initially 18mb, but the line would only support 12mb. The first install was labeled a "failed install". I left a message here on DslReports, and was contacted by support (on the same day). The very next day, an ATT Tech and supervisor come out to fix the problem. It wasn't quite fixed, (sync drops), but it was made right (after another phone call). Now, it's stable and fast.

Equipment is NVG 510.

Support went out of their way to make me a happy customer.

Thanks.

member for 1 year, 296 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by miampro See Profile

• Location: Woodland,Yolo,CA
Good "Connection works, no sales calls, self sevice website"
Bad "None really considering the compeition "
Overall "Great value for an ISP. "

I have been a customer with DSL Extreme since 2007, and have seen me through two addresses. Ordering was easy I remember entering my information into their website and then they gave me an activation date. I did have to call tech support to change a setting on my modem. They allowed the use of my old ATT Yahoo modem although they do provide rental modems to customers that do not have one. I started with their 1.5 mbs then moved to the 3.0 mbs service after we got a Roku player. We can stream two Roku's and have a couple of computers surfing the web with out much of a slowdown. The service as never to my knowledge has been down. I really liked that DSL extreme would send any email out a month before the contract was up and renewing was fairly easy. unfortunately for renewing we could not get the deal that new customers could get. However without any data caps the service was great.

Unfortunately this year will be my last with DSL Extreme. My contact is due to expire in Feb 2015 and I find that having an ATT landline at $35.00 on top of the DSL service not to be cost effective anymore. DSL Extreme does offer a Fusion service that I can not qualify for due to my subdivision being on a remote terminal. Also although ATT sells Uverse in my area I have checked several times with DSL Extreme to find out I do not qualify for their Truestream Service [Which is resold Uverse] nor their DSL Direct which is Dryloop DSL with out a landline. Now I am forced to decided on choosing either my cable company Wave Broadband or Uverse as being the more cost effective route since I will be ditching my POTS line and switching over to a Voip provider for landline service.

Overall I have been very happy with my service with DSL Extreme its a shame that ATT will not allow DSL Extreme to resell Uverse to me and now I will have to go an sign up with ATT to get internet with out a POTS landline service.

Update: After this review DSLX reached out to me, and found that their online tool was not listing my address as being available for truestream. I submitted a third order where DSLX stated they would notated my account to force the upgrade of service. I am now amending my review due to now I can get the services that I wanted from DSLX.

Update 02/11/2015:

It took a while to get my address added from Att's database to DSLX's but my Truestream service was just installed on 2/06/15 after waiting almost a month for Att to add my area. The good thing was that I was still under contract with DLSX from my old service. So far the new service has been great. I ordered the 12/1 plan and regularly get 15/1.9 which is over what my speed tier is. The only thing this connection added about 15ms to my pings but its still sub 30ms and is fine. I am very happy I ported my old ATT landline over to Basic Talk a voip provider and it works with out any issues. Although there was a delay in service I was not without internet and will recommend DSLX without hesitation.

Comments:

Review by Jayd See Profile

Good "Not much"
Bad "Customer service"

Stay away from companies that don’t value their customers!

I have been with dslextreme for the past two years. It’s now time to renew my contract and they are expecting me to do so at a substantially increased rate.

As far as connectivity, not too much to say, there are occasional hiccups, but overall the service provides what I need. However, there are other options in my area that are substantially cheaper than dslextreme - half of what I’m currently paying - and after this rate increase I would be paying way more than double of what other providers are offering (and not only to first time clients). Therefore, I called billing to see if they were willing to at least renew my service at the same rate. The representative was rude and, without even making an effort to see if a better rate was an option, advised me on how to cancel service and threatened me with crazy penalties if I don’t return the modem (which was never in question). Do these people realize that they are paid by their customers?!

I guess dslextreme is doing very well if they can afford to lose clients like that.

Time to say goodbye!

Comments:

Demonfang

join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA

1 recommendation

worrysome

well this is worrysome only a day after the announcement of being bought back by the original company, hoping this isn't going to carry through and that it's just a transition hiccup.

Re: worrysome

No need to worry, we haven't changed anything because of the transition. We still work to provide the best service possible, and our pricing hasn't increased either.

DSL Extreme

Hi Jayd,

I'm sorry your experience with the billing representative went poorly. I'm in the Tech Support department but I do know that we don't have variable rates available for a given address and speed; it's not like a representative can assign you a custom rate or discount, so there wouldn't be any 'better rate' for the representative to look for. Regardless, he shouldn't have been rude about it. Similarly, our representatives are required to advise you about the non-returned modem fee when you cancel service (it's standard protocol, not an accusation that you weren't going to return the modem), but it should have been delivered as a cautionary warning, not a threat. Would you mind sending me a PM with some of your account information? I'd like to see which representative you spoke with to have their supervisor review the call and take appropriate action.
Jayd

join:2013-01-14
·DSL EXTREME

Re: DSL Extreme

Hello, Nick,

Thanks for your reply.

Just to clarify: when I wrote "see if a better rate was an option," I was referring to my previous sentence where I explained that I was asking to "renew my service at the same rate." I did NOT ask the representative "to look for" a better rate as you stated.

Being rude to a customer is wrong as well as not making an effort to accommodate reasonable requests, particularly when it is widely recognized that the cost of acquisition of new customers is greater than that of keeping an existing one. Bottom line: your representative has cost your company several hundred $$ a year for years to come. Equally significant, while before this experience I was recommending DSLextreme, I now tell everyone looking for an ISP to stay away from this company. As I said before, I guess DSLextreme can afford it... or maybe it's time they review certain procedures.

On a final note, when I called billing I also asked to talk to a supervisor about the rate, but your representative refused to let me speak to one!

I will PM you the requested info. Thanks

tgdigital

@o1.com

Re: DSL Extreme

can you post what your rate was during the promo (first year) and what they were going to charge you for the new rate? Also, what speed is your service?

I know that Uverse (which essentially DSL Extreme resells in my area) also bumps up significantly after the promo period. As did Comcast when I've had them in the past ($44.95 to $66).

I'd like to compare them to DSL Extreme's rate increase if you can please post that info.

Review by koulnick See Profile

• Location: Morton Grove,Cook,IL
Good "They allowed me to purchase the modem instead of leasing it."
Bad "After the 12 months the price will go up, but not sure how much."
Overall "Solid service and speed"

Ordered trueStream Max 12Mbps-DL/1Mbps-UL, 5 static IPs.
The installation was painless and fast.

I tried ordering service via phone and was told that service is not available for my location.
But I had checked using the website and it said that it was available.
So I ordered thru the website and it went thru just fine.
The website also allowed me to purchase the modem instead of leasing which is why I was trying to order via the phone in the first place.

Comments:

Review by JOnderisin See Profile

• Location: San Diego,San Diego,CA
Good "DSLExtreme kept in touch and made sure the install proceeded."
Bad "AT&T Installers took 3 days and 3 different installer teams to get it working"
Overall "There were issues with clean lines into my home but DSLExtreme kept after the install team and got it done."

I ordered the new TrueSTREAM with 45 megabit down and 5 megabit up from DSLExtreme. Only had to wait a week for the installation window. My last mile carrier is with AT&T and they had to make sure that I had two clean copper lines into my home for the TrueSTREAM to ride on. It took AT&T three different install teams on three different days to get the job finished. The original install date was scheduled for a Friday and to my surprise they worked on Saturday and Sunday to get my installation finished. The end result is a blazingly fast 50 megabits down. Now everyone in my family is able to stream high-def content at the same time. We regularly have 4 high-def streams going at the same time and there is no buffering. DSLExtreme kept me in the loop with what the AT&T installation team was doing. I got regular calls from them over the weekend with status on the installation. I would recommend DSLExtreme to everyone. They are truly a class act.

Comments:

Review by segacorpceo See Profile

• Location: Reedley,Fresno,CA
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Cheaper than Verizon"
Bad "Billing Support is a nightmare."
Overall "Will stay as"

I first signed up for a 1 year contract on the 3Mbps/768 package for about 28 with tax.May 2013. When Verizon came to install service they tried to con me by saying they were going to charge a fee to run a new line to my house(dryloop). This turned out to be false and service was installed a couple days later.

This is when I had a the trouble with billing. I was trying to get a prorated refund because billing said the service was installed the first time Verizon came out.Long story short billing said I was a liar and said Verizon couldn't install because of an inside wiring issue. Which was a total and utter lie. I had to resort to Nick on this website because that idiot rep just kept sticking to her annoying script. He cleared everything up. Lord have mercy on you if you have to deal with those people. Even though their U.S. based they are the worst of the worst.

At first the connection was better than my prevoius line, I was syncing at full 3megs but not full upload. I had to call a couple times for them to check it out, and the last time they removed some bridgetap and the connection has been stable ever since. After my one year contract the price went up $5. Will probably stay with them if there is no more price increases. I also, wanted to point out that they charge like $20 for modem rental fee (one time fee). The kicker is that it is a USED OLD modem with no router. At least Verizon gives you a NEW modem/router combo totally free when you sign up!!!

Comments:

Review by arruge4 See Profile

• Location: Riverside,Riverside,CA
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Tech support, billing"
Overall "It was a real nightmare with these guys"

I was a previous DSL Extreme customer in the past, and I had no complaints back then.

I recently ordered their DSL service for my second home. I planned to use it for light browsing and streaming. The fastest plan available on ADSL was 1.5/384, so I ordered that and service started about a week ago.

Immediately there were problems with web pages loading. At times web pages would load normally, and then a minute later they would not ("problem loading page" errors or incomplete pages with missing graphics, etc).

I ran a speed test and the reported numbers were 1.3/320.

On my own I tried different web browsers on different computers in the house, changed the DSL phone line filter, replaced the phone cable from the jack, swapped out the DSL modem (used a 2wire, netgear, and d-link), removed my wireless router, and switched to cat5 direct to the modem. I finally ran a new phone line from the outside jack less than 10ft to the modem. All that on my own and still no change. Web page loading was still a problem.

I emailed DSL Extreme tech support. I received a reply the next day and began the troubleshooting process.

A whole week of emails and phone calls, and here is what happened:
* Check the DSL signal each time and they do not see a problem -- one tech guy did mentioned that there were some drops on the downstream
* Attenuation was about 63db, SNR around 18-19, distance out just over 14,000ft
* Tracert checks -- lots of time outs and incomplete traces
* Change the profile from fast to interleave -- latency goes up
* Change the profile from interleave to fast -- latency goes back down
* Port change
* Change the profile from fast to interleave (2nd time)
* Change the profile from interleave to fast (2nd time)

All this and still no resolution.

Finally, DSL Extreme sent an AT&T technician to check the line at my house (and AT&T will charge a fee if there is any repair done inside the home, but outside work is free) He checked the wiring and equipment. He said the line readings from outside showed no errors. I showed him my laptop that I used for troubleshooting all week. He saw the web pages loading slow or not loading at all. He connected his Ipad to my home network and experienced the same problem. He said something like it was worse than dial-up.

He drove out to check the street terminal. About 45 minutes later he drove back and explained that he found the terminal and it was about 4,000 ft from my house, and because it was an older neighborhood it was still using a copper network. After that he closed everything up and left. I did ask for his business card in case I needed to contact him for information.

I contacted DSL Extreme again. I explained the technician left and nothing was fixed. Tech support said they would call me back that day (she had to speak to her supervisor about something). I never got a call back. I called the next day. Tech support read the technician's notes. He said he had to check something with the phone company so he was going to call me back. He did call back and his idea was to change the profile to fast (for a 3rd time!).

At this point I lost it. After a whole week of jumping through hoops I told him I wanted out of my contract and the service closed. They had a whole week to try to fix the problem, and now they wanted to start all over again from the beginning. And with these guys it is not really a "troubleshooting process" because if it were they would not be doing the same things over and over again. I am very sure that if I did not mention the previous profile changes or port changes or whatever these guys would keep doing the same things.

His final "guess" for fixing the problem was to change the DSLAM. I told him "if that did not work, what then?" He said something like "I guess we will try something else" and I asked "what else is there to try?" He had no reply. The obvious solution was that AT&T would need to do a major network upgrade in this area, and that is not likely to happen soon. I asked the agent if he could force AT&T to upgrade the neighborhood and he said "if that is what we have to do then we will do it." I just laughed at that.

*** Now the fun part. The billing department. ***

I spoke to billing and explained the situation. After a week of troubleshooting the problem is still unresolved. I was tired of it and I think it is best to just cancel the contract and let me go on my way.

She read the tech support notes and put me on hold to speak her supervisor. She got back about 10 mins later and explained that since I did not allow tech support to fix the problem (by changing the DSLAM) I would have to pay the $250 termination fee. I explained to her the basic problem I had with their tech support: they do not know what they are doing! After which she offered to switch me to month-to-month plan and charge me a $60 activation fee and a pro-rated monthly plan fee. That was the cheapest way to "buy out" of the contract. About $75 total for a crappy week of internet service.

After that I called the AT&T technician that came out and I asked him about the DSLAM change. He said all the line readings looked good when he checked it, so changing the DSLAM was unnecessary. So DSL Extreme tech support was wrong again.

I really should have checked if there was a 30-day satisfaction guarantee included. But with DSL Extreme it is all about milking the customer, so I am sure they would have stuck it to me either way.

Would I recommend DSL Extreme to others? Absolutely not. These guys are as bad as the big cable companies when it comes to support. They care more about $$$ then customer satisfaction.

Comments:

dslx_nick

DSL Extreme

Dear arruge4,

I'm sorry you had trouble with your connection and the support you received from us, and hope that you don't have that same difficulty with your next provider. For what it's worth, I can tell you from experience that changing the DSLAM was the correct action at that point. If you'd like, I can provide further technical information explaining this.

Also, if you haven't already I do recommend reading this BBR FAQ: »DSL FAQ »What is the 80% bandwidth / speed I do understand that your problem was an intermittent one ("At times web pages would load normally, and then a minute later they would not"), but 1.3/320 on an online speed test is actually very good for a line provisioned for 1.5/384 gross, so something to be aware of when running speed tests in the future, whether with us or with another ISP.

Sincerely,