DSL EXTREME page on DSLReports

Review by jadinolf See Profile

• Location: Ojai,Ventura,CA
Good "Reliability and tech support"
Overall "Very Satisfied"

Ordered 384/1500 for $12.95
Install was nice and clean
2Wire 1800HG, 2Wire USB adapter, 2Wire HPNA adapter. (5 computers)

All I know is that all is perfect with DSL Extreme.

I have been with DSL Extreme for a little over a month now and have had absolutely no problems nor do I anticipate any.
Update 03/05/07:

I have been with DSLX for almost 9 months now and all is still well. There have been only two minor outages during this period.

All is still good. Very happy to be with DSLextreme.

Very close to 11 months with DSLX and all continues to be well. No problems at all. (5/11/2007)

I year of DSLX now and I have renewed my contract. All continues to be well.

8-21-2007 I was just thinking today, when is the last time you sent an IM to the general manager of your ISP and received a reply? Did you ever do it with AT&T?

I can do it any day of the week with DSLX. A great reason to sign up with them or... isn't that important to you? It is to me and I love it.

1-8-2008 Still running fine. So happy I stayed with DSL Extreme.

5-1-2008 Here I am again. Have just renewed for the third year and am very happy with my monthly cost as well as the reliability of my DSL.

I recommend DSL Extreme to anyone not happy with their present ISP..

6-7-2008 Back again. I have been helping friends who have AT&T with their Internet problems. When they call tech support, they get shuttled off to some foreign country and on many occasions, the tech support people are difficult or impossible to understand. Not so with DSL Extreme where the people speak North American. What a pleasure.

Well, I "reenlisted" on July 1 and all continues to be great. New monthly cost is $23.83. Bear in mind that I'm a guy who is on line probably 18 hours or more a day so if anyone would notice problems, I would. No complaints at all.

9-18-2008 No loss of DSL at all.

Finding my way through the new email setup. I will resolve the unusual things I have observed. For the record, I am usually not resistant to change but I prefer the old way this time.

June 1, 2009
I got my renewal notice this morning. With a contract, my monthly cost remains the same ($23.83) so I re-enlisted.

I am very satisfied with the service I get from DSLX. Have only had a few very minor email problems and that's about it.

Again, I encourage anyone who is not happy with their current ISP to give DSL Extreme a try.

7/2/2009

Well, here we go with another year with DSL Extreme. Hopefully, this year will be as uneventful as the previous years.

I sometimes wonder why people have so many problems with DSLX. as reported on their forum. I also wonder why they don't call tech support instead of taking a shot at the ISP on line. Oh well.

1/4/2010

The system reminded me that it has been 185 days since I updated my review.

All I can say is that I remain satisfied with the service I receive from DSLX and I will stay with them until something untoward happens. I don't anticipate that.

6/1/2010 Well, I got an email from DSL Extreme - it was not unexpected-- my contract will be up July 1. I have signed up for another year. I am 76 years old so I hope I will be around to renew next year.

Of course, I am satisfied with DSLX. If I wasn't I would have moved on.

So there.

7/5/2010
Well, it's official. My charge card tells me that my monthly charge is one dollar less than last year. That's three years in a row with no price increase. How many people can say that?

2/1/2011

Not much to report on. All is well. I'll get back to you next time the DSLR crew prods me to update my review.

6/17/2011

Renewed my contract again.

I can still IM the General Manager of my ISP. That's pretty hard to beat. Try that with AT&T.

No price increase in three years. What a pleasure.

Maybe I'm just a lucky guy but I am quite satisfied with DSLX.

8/10/2012

Still with DSLX since 2006.

Still no complaints.

No price increase.

Life is good.

4/5/2013

Thought I'd keep you posted.

All is well and never needed overseas tech support.

10/8/2013

DSLR twisted my arm to get me to post an update.

Still happy with the service I receive from DSLExtreme. Would be much better if I didn't live in the sticks but houses just 3 doors away can't even have DSL. Yes, cable is available here but I am happy just the way it is.

That's it folks.

4/15/2014
Many years with DSLR and all is well. Just wish I could get more speed but this is the best I can do with them.

member for 8.7 years, 4945 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by whocares256 See Profile

• Location: Anna,Collin,TX
Good "Indepentant Backhaul of Other ISP's In area."
Bad "Renewal pricing is More that I would like. Nothing faster than 6/768"
Overall "On Legacy ATT DSL"

·Grayson County T..
·Callcentric
Updated 4/14/14

I have decided to go back to DSLeXtreme as a backup ISP. I currently have GCEC but DSLX has been rock solid. I have just placed an order with DSLX and I will have 6/512. This will give me redundant internet that is "NOT CAPPED"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Orginal Review January 2013
I have had DSLExtreme Fiber Package since 5/12. Is is rock solid. I have just requested an upgrade to the 20/20 which is the next step up.(Better bang for the buck. Only $5 more than 20/5.) I already had an ONT from when I was with Verizon. When my install day arrived the tech came in and checked to make sure everything worked. I had a router and network already set up and hooked up. One bad thing with Verizon is they want to give you their equipment past the ONT (router). My internet was working even before Verizon stopped by, All I had to do was move the network cable from my cable modem to the ONT.
Upgrading services with DSLExtreme is easy. DSLExtreme mentioned that I was one of the first customers to get Fiber. I saw DSLExtreme Internet here on DSL Reports.

»DSL Extreme Launches Rebranded FiOS

Update 5/18/13

Moved the the northern part of the county in 2012 and DSL is the only internet available. I am in an ATT area and can only get 6/768. Currently have DSLX @ 6/768 (5.1/0.66 with overhead).

member for 12.1 years, 197 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by det427 See Profile

• Location: Santa Rosa,Sonoma,CA
Good "Great service and support!"
Bad "A little slow in getting upgraded to 6000 k/s service"
Overall "Great ISP!"

I saw the link to DSL Extreme 6000 k/s web page in a Sonic.net newsgroup (my old ISP).
The price was only $2.00 extra ($59.95 plus the Federal Universal Service Fund charge) for 4 times the speed!
The thing that convinced me to change was the "Lifetime Price Freeze".
Sonic and SBC has a price leader for one year then reverts to a higher price.
I want the price to remain the same!
I ordered on Jan. 15 and was seamlessly transferred with an ISP Change Order on Jan. 31 with no downtime!
I just put in my new static ip and was surfing the net.
The only problem was getting upgraded to the 6000 k/s service (was transferred at my original 1500 k/s).
It took a couple of calls and emails to get it going.
I figured since this was a promotion period it was pretty hectic for DSL Extreme.
I might have fallen through the cracks.
It took me three weeks to finally be upgraded.
The phone support varied from 15 - 45 minutes based on what time of day I called.
I learned about DSL Extreme having their own forum on BBR.
I learned how to use DSLX's forum to "instant message" (IM) support.
The forum is all I use now for support!
The support on DSLX's forum is excellent!
I did get upgraded to the 6000 k/s service a day earlier than what was on the Order Status Page.
I "IM"ed George, the GM of DSLX, to change my router profile from 1500 k/s to 6000k/s.
He changed it in less than 30 minutes!
Since I was at the 1500 k/s for three weeks I asked George if I could be prorated at the price of the 1500 k/s service.
He said no problem and was done in a matter of hours!
My speed is constant too!!
At Sonic my speed was all over the place (90 to 120 K/s)
Sonic thought the problem was at my end.
I just have one desktop computer, a SpeedStream 5360 DSL Bridge, and no router: nice and simple.
I did not know what the problem was until I came to DSLX.
I am on a Remote Terminal.
Toaster2K, a SBC tech, said when I transfer to a new ISP I get reprofiled and rerouted.
I found out that both the backbone provider, SBC and the ISP, DSLX, both have to profile me on their respective routers especially if I am on an RT.
Apparently, at the time, Sonic did not know to do this on their routers.
That is why my speed was all over the place.
Sonic has since corrected this.
DSLX already knew what to do.
My speed is rock solid at 5+ mbs down and ~520 k/s up!
I wanted to wait a few weeks to see if my speed would stay consistent before writing a review.
It has with no problems!
I would highly recommend DSLX to anyone and have done so myself!
Great job DSLX and thanks for solving my erratic speed problem!
det427

12-04-05
I downgraded my service to 1500/384 kbs dynamic connection a few months ago to save some money since I do not do a lot of downloading anymore.
It was a little slow for my taste.
I upgraded to 3000/512 kbs dynamic connection shortly after.
This throughput is just right for my habits.
DSLX had a problem with a Northern California router around a month ago.
On the first boot of the day my dsl bridge would not grab an IP.
I had to either reboot or do a command prompt to get a connection.
DSLX, through this forum, found out the problem in a timely manner.
I am thoroughly satisfied with the service and support.
I have recommended many people and will continue to do so.
Thanks, DSLX!

5-19-2006
I upgraded back to a static connection earlier this year. Sometimes the DHCP connection would take a while to connect. I guess I was spoiled to an instant connection! I was on the DHCP connection for less than a year. Since the price of a static connection was only a few dollars a part from the 3000 kbs to the 6000 kbs throughput I opted to go back to the 6000 kbs static connection I originally had. Just a few days ago, I upgraded my connection to the 6000/768 kbs static service. Thanks to a few outspoken DSLX forum members and DSLX's management listening to their customers the static price dropped $10.00 and the upload increased! Once again DSLX comes through again! Thanks DSLX!

6-23-2007
I was having trouble sending email through Outlook Express but could send it through web mail. I posted the problem on DSLX's Forum on a Sunday. I must have gotten "buried" under more important issues because I had to post a "what's up" a few days later. George, the GM, got involved and had it fixed it in a relatively short time. He stated it was probably the IP block wasn't properly configured in the mail server to relay mail. I appreciate the feedback. I also changed from a static ip to a dynamic ip via DHCP on a month to month basis with the same throughput (6016/768 kbs). I am trying to save a few dollars per month. So far, except for the recent Northern California outage, no problems. Thanks DSLX again!

1-04-2008
No problems, just chugging along! My only gripe is I wish AT&T would offer higher throughput to DSL Extreme. I found out I could get Uverse but with only a little higher upload it is not worth it since I get good customer support from DSLX!

5-02-2008
Still working great! AT&T Uverse has a 10 Mbps download now. I wish they would pass this along to DSLX!

8-04-2009
Everything smooth sailing! Just wish AT&T would share some Uverse bandwidth with DSLX!

5/21/2010
No problems or glitches! Come on AT&T let DSL Extreme sell your Uverse product!

1/15/2011
Just renewed for another year for $32.83 total! Price went down three dollars a month from last year. I thought about Uverse but having no problems with my 6 mbs connection I decided to stay with DSLX. Besides, I won't get anymore cards and letters from at&t anymore for Uverse; I would miss that!

4/6/2014
Still working great! DSLX said new options will be happening soon! Hope it is Uverse through DSLX!

member for 10.2 years, 3193 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bekfe10 See Profile

• Location: Dover,Kent,DE
Good "Upgrade alternative to dry loop service in Verizon FIOS areas, price, provided helpful info prior to ordering"
Bad "No trial period, Supplier Surchage Recovery fee"
Overall "I recommend the service, but do some research before signing up for a yearly contract"

Three years ago, I was very skeptical about switching my cell service from Verizon wireless (which I had used for over 8 years) to Pageplus cellular. As a result, I did a lot of research, read a lot of online reviews (both good and bad) and even called customer service twice to ask a few questions that I could not find answers for online. I wanted to know more about the TOS and understand how the company operates and what type of service they provide. After weighing in the pros and cons, I went ahead and switched my cell service to Pageplus; the port was almost instantaneous. I set up automatic payment on my account the same day and I have never experienced any major issues since then. The money savings over the 3-year period is over $500 and do not take into account the extra features like text and data that I now have on my plan but would otherwise pay for with Verizon.

I started the review with this analogy to reinforce the fact that before getting into something, one needs to do her/his homework because what worked for someone else may not necessarily work for everyone. Call the company if necessary and read existing online reviews (both good and bad) to get a better idea of what you are about to get yourself into.

My situation was similar to those having dry loop DSL service in Verizon areas where FIOS is available. You can’t upgrade your internet with Verizon unless you get FIOS and that is that. As you may already know, standalone FIOS is very expensive. After being a loyal Verizon’s customer for about 12 years (7 years for DSL), they slapped me with two (2) increases totaling $7/month in a year timeframe on my 1/0.384 Mb dry loop DSL. When I contacted higher management they basically acted like they do not need my business anymore when I told them that I have no interest in getting FIOS at the moment. The fact is I do not have cable TV or home telephone with any other company, so I had nothing to bundle the service with to make it affordable. Not happy with the way I was treated, I started actively looking for alternatives to Verizon in my area. The only thing I could get is Comcast Cable or one of those Verizon resellers. I ruled out Comcast for many reasons and look further into the existing subs servicing my area. My choice was either Joiphone internet or DSLX. I tried to call Joiphone 2 days in a row on a weekend and could not get a hold of customer service during working hours shown on their website. When I did talk to someone the following Monday, oh boy was I glad to call before placing my order. I then proceeded to call DSLX office and was able to talk to a nice lady who addressed all of my questions/concerns. Later on, I sent an IM to dslx_Nick through the DSLReports forum (since I am a member) for more technical questions. Nick quickly replied to my message with answers to all of my questions and provided me with critical pathways to help making an informed decision. And this back and forth went on for about three (3) days. I would like to note that Nick actually pointed out some scenarios where it would not make sense for me to transfer my internet service to them since I was grandfathered with Verizon (to me, that is integrity!). I also read the entire DSLX terms of service (TOS) for high speed internet. Well, about that you may want to know that according to the TOS it is almost impossible to break the yearly contract with DSLX and they do not offer any 30-day trial or grace period. Also, I was told that the price goes up about $5/month if you decide to renew after the first year of service. Therefore, you need to do your homework and make sure that you are doing the right thing before ordering service with them.

After all the readings and questioning, I decided that I was going to go with DSLX and started backing up all my Verizon emails to another account. Also, per Nick’s advice I called Verizon and asked for my dry loop DSL number in order to speed up the process and avoid downtime. Late on 2/13/2013, I ordered the 3/0.768 Mb dry loop DSL service package from DSLX for a monthly total of $27.83 (including a $2.88 supplier surcharge recovery fee – not sure what that fee is about since the 1998 Internet Tax Freedom Act bars federal, state, and local governments from taxing internet access and from imposing discriminatory internet-only taxes – except for 10 grandfathered States) with a 1-year contract. Since I provided my dry loop number in the comments area of step 4 of the ordering process, on 2/14/2013 DSLX updated my order in their system to replace the auto generated dry loop number for a swift process. On 2/18/2013 at 4:22 PM ET I received an email with an activation date of 2/22/2013. I was later informed by Nick that DSLX is trying to get my service up and running on 2/19/2013. Sure enough, the morning of 2/19/2013 my service was activated. Needless to say that my Verizon account was closed as well, but fortunately all my emails were already moved. All I had to do was to log into my Verizon modem to verify that my new service was provisioned, delete the Verizon connection (you can also set it to Manual) and create a new connection with my DSLX username and password. My switch happened overnight, technically with no downtime. My service is running strong ever since with no interruption or issues whatsoever. The speed tests from Speedtest, Speakeasy, and Verizon all showed between 2.8-2.9 Mb download and about 0.7Mb upload. I am glad I switched because I am now able to upgrade my service speed a little while still running as strong as before.

To summarize, if you have “rock solid” dry loop DSL service with Verizon that can’t be upgraded because FIOS is available, DSLX is for you. However, if you already have ongoing issues with your existing DSL service or never experienced with DSL internet service before, DSLX may not be for you.

If you find this review helpful and decide to sign up for service, DSL Extreme has what is called "Refer-a-Friend" program where you can get a $20 credit on your account when signing up for a new account as being referred by a friend. All you need to do is make sure that at step 2 of the sign-up procedure when asked: “How did you hear about DSL Extreme?” you select "A Friend (Existing DSL Extreme User)" from the drop down box and you can enter the username "z a n m i" and we will both get $20 credits on our accounts. In any event, do your homework first, backup your important emails before even placing your order, and obtain your dry loop DSL number when appropriate for a seamless transition.

Should anything stated in the review change, I will make sure to update it for facts accuracy.

Update 1

It has been 4 months now since I have switched my DSL service over to DSL Extreme. Everything is still working great and the download and upload speeds have been consistent. I have only had 2 service outages which lasted less than 24 hours. The first one was due to the fact that the account ownership was not properly transferred to DSLX by Verizon and the second one (more recently) was due to some Verizon maintenance issues on the northeast coast. Otherwise, so far so good and the tech guys on the forum respond quickly whenever I message them. I will provide another update in 4 months should anything change.

Update 2

It has been 10 months now since I signed up with DSLX and service is still rock solid with. I do not have any outage to report for this period. As I explained in my very first review if you had strong DSL service before switching to DSLX most likely you will not experience any major issue after signing up with them. Bottom line: if the price is still good at the end of my contract, I will most likely renew my contract. If it goes up more than the $5 promised, I will most likely get Comcast. I will update everyone should anything in the service change.

Update 3

This is my last update for this year period. I can’t believe it has been almost a year since I switched to DSLX. Service was great throughout the year to the exception of a few outages, which were quickly resolved. The only thing I might add is that DSLX really need to work with Verizon to remove the “supplier surcharge recovery fees: SSRF” ($2.88) which I think is unnecessary. When you compare the rates between AT&T areas and Verizon areas, you can see that this fee is bogus. In my opinion, this is just another way for Verizon to make more money off of customers. I live in Delaware; I can tell you that this fee is close to being illegal according to Delaware laws, but good luck getting DSLX to work with you on this. I guess that is the only bad side to DSLX; they lock you in a contract early in the game and do not try to fight on behalf of the customers unlike the MVNOs who keep getting the prepaid customers amazing deals. Anyway, my year will be up in February and my new price will be $32.87 total for 3/0.768 DSL service. This is really where the removal of the SSRF would come handy! I am really contemplating getting 25/5 Comcast for $30/month (no contract) for a year, but only time will tell. Overall this is a great service and I also commend DSLX for their customer service. In term of billing, they would have my commendation if they have tried to save their customers a buck here and there whenever feasible! I am positive they can re-negotiate certain terms with Verizon specifically since AT&T fees are pretty decent compare to Verizon. If I do decide to renew my contract for another year, I will keep posting quarterly updates for people looking into making the switch from Verizon to DSLX.

Update 4

I renewed my contract for another year with DSLX and service is still rock solid. It is a little hard to swallow 3/0.768 Mbps DSL service for $32.87, but I realize that this is more than enough for what I need. I hope the service continue to be reliable and hopefully someday they will be able to get rid of the SSR fee to keep it under $30. For people looking to sign up for service remember if your service is currently not reliable most likely it will still be not reliable with DSLX. Just look for other alternatives. If your service with is running great, then this is a go for DSLX. Signup and remember they have a Refer-a-Friend" program where you can get a $20 credit on your account when signing up for a new account as being referred by a friend. All you need to do is make sure that at step 2 of the sign-up procedure when asked: “How did you hear about DSL Extreme?” you select "A Friend (Existing DSL Extreme User)" from the drop down box and you can enter the username "z a n m i" and we will both get $20 credits on our accounts. Enjoy and good luck!

Comments:
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
·MegaPath

Recovery Fee

Depending on who you talk to at DSLX depends on the answer you get. Before they used to claim they were charged it by AT&T and only charged it in AT&T areas but as it shows, they do it in all areas and looks at their way of raising prices without raising them. Especially since other major providers do not charge this. DSLX's parent company- Ikano doesn't even charge this fee to their wholesale customers, nor their other DSL customers, just under the DSLX brand it looks like.
andre2

join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA

Verizon dry loop number

Verizon dry loop customers can get their dry loop number at »my.verizon.com . Log in, then go to I Want To "Manage My Services". There should be a Home Phone section labeled "SIMULATED DRY LOOP WITH HOTLINE ANNOUNCEMENT - RESIDENCE" and if you click on "View All", it shows the dry loop number. I already knew it from somewhere else but VZ doesn't print it on any of their bills.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what "HOTLINE ANNOUNCEMENT" is? Is that something you're supposed to get if you plug a phone directly into the jack?
andre2

join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA

Verizon billing after the switch to DSLX

After you switched to DSLX, did you have to contact Verizon for any reason (including having to ask them to stop your bill and get a partial refund for the unused part)? My Verizon service has been trouble-free except for when changes are needed, which they tend to screw up a lot, and I'm a little worried they may cut off the DSL by mistake after it's been switched over to DSLX.
bekfe10

join:2010-01-18
Dover, DE

Re: Verizon billing after the switch to DSLX

@andre2
After you switched to DSLX, it is recommended to call Verizon to cancel your account, but you need to wait until your service is up and running to do so. Make sure you note down the time of the call and the name of the agent you talk to just in case. After that you should receive a final bill with payment or refund. If your service has been trouble free, most likely it will continue to be that way. Once DSLX gives you an activation date, the service is technically with them and they should help you resolve any service issues you might have. So far I have not had any real issues with my service. I was also trouble free with Verizon!

Review by pyresim See Profile

• Location: Winnetka,Los Angeles,CA
Good "NO DATA CAPS!! LEVEL 2 SUPPORT IN THE USA"
Bad "upload not faster"
Overall "Excellent alternative to the big providers"

OK so I have been a DSLExtreme member for about a year now (via my ATT land line) I have the 6/768 plan with 8 static IP's I run a few servers as well as remote access and VPN. I have trolled this group for quite a while and feel the need to add my own two cents. First of all installation was very simple, granted I have an extensive technical background but even for the novice user (barring any unforeseen issues) the provided instructions suffice, its almost plug and play! yes that easy if you take the time to actually READ the INSTRUCTIONS also to make sure any other devices (phone, fax, alarm, sat boxes etc..) pretty much anything plugged into the associated phone line/number are filtered with the provided ADSL inline filters. Second once installed and I configured my router and I was up and running. The modem I received was a "Comtrend" and it was shipped pre configured in bridge mode which was great but it does also have the ability to be configured for static and PPPOE . it does run a little on the warm side which is normal for ADSL modems. OK cut scene 3 months to what I believed was an issue with the service and I gave their tech support a call I was ready for the long haul (wait times) but nope I was almost connected right away with one of their Level 1 support in the Philippines the agent was pleasant enough standard script reader but I just wanted to get to the Advanced support as I'm a firm believer that the first line of defense is to root out the simple issues so fine I did what was asked during that call about 10 mins and a "Ticket" was created for me an i was told I would receive a callback by Tier 2 support. OK, fine I'll wait.. tick tock- can't wait , impatient I call back and wadda ya know I get routed right thru to Level 2 in the USA !!!! I asked and I guess if there is an open ticket you'll skip level 1 all together yippie!! So I go thru more advanced troubleshooting with the Tier 2 support who was ver knowledgeable and clearly explained all the steps needed to be taken turns out there was an issue on their router and they ended up rebuilding my circuit on their router- issue resolved (was a routing issue) I was back up and running in 20 minutes total !! DSLExtreme is fantastic I can't recommend them highly enough to my friends I only wish I wasn't on an RT so I could get the FUSION service and kick ATT to the curb, I also want to add a point to this review -- I see alot of people complaining about things that are just unreasonable like the whole "PROMISED or SPEED IM PAYING FOR" NO DSL SERVICE is GUARANTEED its just not possible to guarantee a service like this, there are too many factors mainly distance and second is line quality plain and simple the closer the faster the further the slower!!!!! so many people in here whine about it and they should read their contract and educate themselves before complaining. In conclusion its great for a small family or a few users or running a small personal website and streaming movies and downloading music. If you should happen to try to run a business on a residential connection like this HAVE A BACKUP PLAN (SECOND ISP!!) Its your own fault if there is an outage(which do occasionally happen on ATT and Verizon gear) and you don't have connectivity because you put all your eggs in one basket , if you have a business that you'd loose thousands and thousands of dollars every day of downtime get a T1 or business class Ethernet products . and FINALLY to all the complainers about "it was soo much better on ATT or VERIZON naysayers" ITS THE SAME DANG DSL SERVICE ITS JUST RESOLD BY DSLEXTREME

Keep on providing excellent service DSLExtreme you guys rock!

Comments:

Review by XMbIPb See Profile

• Location: Sherman Oaks,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Sounds cheap (but haven't seen the bill yet)"
Bad "2 year contract (!); lousy speed"
Overall "Their adds say "up to 20 Mbps." What a scam!"

Switched to DSL Extreme Fusion plan hoping for some sort of double digit download speed as the company advertises "up to 20 Mbps" speed. What a crock of crap! The salesperson almost crawled out of her skin to sign us up... but when, after the switch, I compared our DL speed with the prior provider (AT &T), found out that the speed is the SAME! Yep 3.4 Mbps by OOKLA test; 2.95 Mbps by XFINITY test. And, no, we do not live far from the "hub." The tech support guys told me we live "within 8000 feet" of the hub. What hurts the most? The TWO YEAR CONTRACT and full knowledge that they will jack up the rate in a year.

Stay away from DSL Extreme Fusion. It sounds like a scam.

Comments:
mtn_area

join:2013-11-20
Crestline, CA

Nice

review. Seems to completely throw distance (roughly 10 - 12mbit is attainable at 2.5k meters), line quality, inside wiring and many other variables to the wind. If the speed is the same between the two providers, then the issue most likely falls down to physical lines (which are AT&T's area), the wiring inside your house (which is your area) or plant issues.

Have you even called to have them check these things, or checked yourself in the case of house wiring?

DSL Extreme

If you're seeing 2.95-3.4 on speed tests, then you are presumably getting higher speed than you were with the previous AT&T circuit. AT&T sells speeds at specific 'tiers', meaning even if your line COULD handle more than, say, 3Mbps, you'd have to pay more to get those higher speeds.

3Mbps is one of their standard speed packages, but as you can see here: »DSL FAQ »What is the 80% bandwidth / speed even if you're signed up for a 3Mbps connection, you won't actually see 3Mbps on a speed test; you'd only see about 2.4 on the speed test, due to the '80% rule', even though your line is actually handling the full 3.0 gross bitrate.

The next step up on AT&T's tiers is the 6Mbps package. However, these days AT&T will not sell 6Mbps at 8000' - you'd need to be within 6000' or so for AT&T to offer such a speed package (and even then, you'd be paying for a 6Mbps package and really only getting about 3/4 of that).

AT&T doesn't have a 4.5 Mbps package or anything else between 3 and 6 - you either pay for 3Mbps (even though your line can run faster), or you overpay for 6 (IF they'll even let you). Fusion, by contrast, is a 'no-tier' service - we charge a single, flat fee and allow your line to run the fastest it can, rather than try to charge you more for higher speeds. In your case, it certainly seems to be helping, as a 3.4 speed test result means you're actually getting about 4.25 gross bitrate, about 50% more than what you'd be able to get on the 3Mbps AT&T package. I'd be willing to see if we can tweak the line to squeeze out even more speed, if your line can support it; feel free to send me a PM with your account info.
XMbIPb

join:2014-03-18

Re: DSL Extreme

Dear DSLx Nick, please do no get me wrong. AT&T is absolutely lousy! Which is why we switched to DSL Extreme hoping for better DSL speeds. Having said that, I can't tell you how disapointed we are with the DSL Extreme performance. In your post you said: "I'd be willing to see if we can tweak the line to squeeze out even more speed, if your line can support it; feel free to send me a PM with your account info."

Please tell me what information you need? At this point I'd do anything g to make it better... Although I doubt anyone can. I just feel stupid falling for DSL Extreme advert...

Re: DSL Extreme

Replied to your PM - if you send me your phone number, or account number, or username, or email address, I should be able to find your account easily enough. I can also search by first and last name, but sometimes there's multiple matches for that.

Review by CCarson See Profile

• Location: Redlands,San Bernardino,CA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Great support by reps in DSLReports forum"
Bad "Service & support highly variable; sales reps in my case were quite poorly informed"
Overall "Good service, once you can get it working"

Here is my experience setting up a dry-loop ("naked"/"standalone") DSL connection in Verizon territory through DSLExtreme. I have been a DSL subscriber since 1998 with Earthlink/Covad, SBC, and Verizon.

The DSLX rep informed me in no uncertain terms that my activation date would be 0-4 days after my Verizon disconnect date. It turned out this date would instead be 3-6 WEEKS after Verizon disconnect, leaving me without internet during that time.

I called them three times for status updates; on the final call, the rep contacted Verizon and managed to get an activation date.

The activation date came and went with no service. Most of the time I was able to get through to reps quickly, but twice I had to spend 30-45 minutes on hold waiting to talk to someone--usually in the afternoon (Pacific time). I was told a week later that my service *should* be active, but I had no service. Moreover, I was twice promised a call back from DSLX tier 2 tech support, which never happened.

Ultimately, this was mainly the fault of Verizon, which owns the phone lines. I believe the real problem is that Verizon originally installed and wired my NID/MPOE (phone box outside the house) incorrectly.

I ultimately fixed this myself by rewiring the box using information I looked up online (while at work). Although this was mostly Verizon's fault, DSLX could have done a far better job keeping detailed trouble-ticket notes. (For example, I called customer service to get credit for the time I was supposed to have service but did not. Despite a tech support ticket mentioning that Verizon needed to tag the wires for DSL, the rep would not credit my account; she didn't understand that this makes the service unusable.)

In the end, the process was more painful than any DSL installation I've ever encountered, even though I would do it again to avoid having to pay Verizon for its incompetence.

If you go dry-loop, be warned that you may have to spend a large amount of time on the phone talking to customer service and tech support at DSLX and that you may have to learn to work on your home's internal telephone wiring on your own. It's not any one company's fault, but it's the burden you as a consumer have to bear due to imperfect communication between DSLX and the ILEC.

* Addendum for upgrade 768k -> 3M service 1/2009 *

Upgrading should have been easy but was difficult. Tech support reps in house could do nothing and their actions resulted in my being offline for 2 days. Ultimately it was the actions of TS and the general manager in the forum on this site that got the connection going. Upgrades are said to generally take 5 business days. This took 24 days total from request to upgrade as well as hundreds of cell minutes on hold. In the end, the GM's attitude via this forum is what will keep me with DSLX.

* Revisited Summer 2011

My rating in individual categories stand. DSLX is a great value for money, especially for those who are technically savvy and want to avoid bundled services they won't use. Support is uneven, though the dslreports forum is frequented by the best techs in the company, so use it.

member for 12.7 years, 1537 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by buttersh See Profile

• Location: Moorpark,Ventura,CA
Good "Very little oversell on their IP service, so consistent good speed - and good customer service"
Bad "Customer service is outsourced to another country which can be bad, though I have been happy so far"
Overall "Reliable and as promised"

It took some extra time to install because I also had to set up a phone line with AT&T and get my phone number moved etc. So I have AT&T for my transport and DSL extreme for my internet protocol service. My 6 megabit connection generally yields about 450-650 kilobytes per second all the time just as expected. Latencies are very low (on the order of 12ms from speedtest.net) and very consistently low. I have spoken to people with AT&T service for both the transport and IP and they say that AT&T oversells badly and their service crawls in the evenings. Not so with DSL extreme. Normally, outsourced customer service would really piss me off, but so far, they have been helpful, courteous and have been able to resolve 2 minor issues (I was playing with a couple different modem/routers, lost connectivity, and needed a rip-and-rebuild which they did for me both times with no problem). So far, perfectly happy. Check out my Time Warner cable review to see why I switched from 30 megabit cable to 6 megabit DSL with DSL extreme. Might help you with your provider choice. BTW, keep in mind that unless you can do dry loop, you will need to have a landline with your local telco for transport to DSL extreme, so that may be an extra cost you'll have to figure in, especially if you didn't already have a landline.

Update: More than a year now and service remains excellent. I was doing double NAT (long story) and when I eliminated one of the NAT translations, it shaved 3ms of my ping times. Routers usually only add about 1ms, so I was surprised. My ping times are now ALWAYS 10ms to speedtest.net and usually around 6ms to Ooma.com. Impressive. Still very happy.

Another Update: More than 2 years now. Still working great. Streaming TONS of Neflix, Vudu, Itunes movies, etc. All in HD with ABSOLUTELY NO rebuffering EVER. Still very happy.

Update: Wow. Bad news. They've started to oversell a little. I'm seeing 4.8 mbps down (payload speed) in the evening, Typically, I have seen 5.2 mbps at all times, which is pretty close to the theoretical maximum for 6 mbit DSL. Latencies have also been increasing. THEN I looked at my account this morning. They are raising my rate from $30/mo to $50 mo on the next contract renewal. *** EDIT: Their website omits the current package so it only showed me the next more expensive one with static IPs, so they didn't really raise my rate - see below *** Getting a cable modem from TWC today. Bummer. DSL extreme had been so good for me. Oh well.

Comments:
ramsaso

join:2014-01-04
Houston, TX

Distance from CO

What was distance from your central office?

For me, it was only about 4.8 miles away and i pass by it a lot.

DSL Extreme

$50 is for a Static IP upgrade, not renewal. Renewing your existing DHCP connection is cheaper.

Also, if you're seeing about 4.8 on a speedtest with a 6Mbps connection, that may not be from congestion; »DSL FAQ »What is the 80% bandwidth / speed

If you have any questions or need any help with either of these points, please don't hesitate to let me know!
buttersh

join:2009-08-21
Moorpark, CA

Hi Nick,

I now see what the website is doing. It's omitting my current package and only showing the ones below and above. Makes sense, but it's a little confusing. Agree that 4.8 is not bad for DSL, but I am comparing it to my own previous readings of a very consistent 5.2. Also, latencies are higher than they once were. I also realize that that could be occurring somewhere beyond your network. In any case, they have improved the cable internet in my neighborhood dramatically, so I'm getting 30/5 very consistently. I'm certainly happy with that and will likely stick with the cable. Overall, your service was very good for me. I'll raise the value for money score that I reduced because I misunderstood the website. Thank you for your service.

Re: DSL Extreme

Glad to be of service. Wishing you the best with your new cable connection, but if that ever doesn't work out feel free to give us a call again

Review by WiFiguru See Profile

• Location: Mt Baldy,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Fast, flawless setup. No downtime."
Bad "Must know how to setup own modem."
Overall "DSLExtreme -- Still rocking it."

Switched from Verizon direct to DSLExtreme because of faster speeds offered. Chose to keep my modem (versus getting one for free on lease)

I woke up in the morning on activation day, and had no internet. I knew that I had to login to the modem and switch to PPoE/enter DSLExtreme credentials. Was up in a few minutes.

I do have to say, $44.95 for 7Mbps is still kind of pricey. Wish they would give some sort of 12 month incentive.

I posted the following here: »DSLExtreme -- still rocking it..

Just want to give props to Nick and DSLExtreme for making my switch flawless.

DO you know what a pain in the ass it is to work with Verizon DSL customer service?

Ask for fastpath? Most reps have no clue what you are talking about, or lie and say that you cannot get it.

Anyways, over the months I have been pre-qual'ing on DSLExtreme. They stated I could only get 3Mbps, which is what I was subscribed to with Verizon direct.

My CO is FULL here. You can not sign up for new DSL service at all. Everybody is capped at 3Mbps.

Finally, a couple weeks ago, 7Mbps was available through DSLExtreme. I thought -- no way! Verizon direct would not let me upgrade, so I contacted Nick to see if this was a legit thing/if there might be capacity.

Fast forward a few hours, and I pulled the trigger. 4 days later I woke up, and had 7Mbps service.

Asked Nick over the weekend if I could get swapped to Fastpath (lower latency is always nice).

The request was granted, and went from 40-50ms to 10ms (downtown LA).

Anyways, just want to say kudos/thanks DSLExtreme (Nick) for taking care of my order.

member for 8.8 years, 3186 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
joeharney

join:2000-04-30

Mt Baldy, CA

Re: hmmmm

said by joeharney:

lets see if you feel that way after 12 months

I've had DSLExtreme in the past, both Verizon (ex GTE) and AT&T areas.... they were excellent experiences.

AT&T was great because we went over DSLEx's RBACK, which had some decent peering.

XyzzyMagicat

join:2009-06-25
Petaluma, CA
said by joeharney:

lets see if you feel that way after 12 months

I don't know what service is like elsewhere in the country, but I've been having a really good experience with them for the past six or so years. It's not perfect, but I can't find any other ISPs these days that are similarly inexpensive, allow home servers, include great Usenet access, and don't impose data caps or break net neutrality.

XyzzyMagicat

join:2009-06-25
Petaluma, CA

Pricing might not be entirely their choice

I was really confused by this quoted part at first, until I visited their DSL new-member pricing page and saw that the speeds & costs are different under Verizon and AT&T.  I can't imagine that they're charging newbies less than half as much for AT&T 6Mbps as they do for Verizon's 7.1Mbps...

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
join:2005-06-21
Mt Baldy, CA
·DSL EXTREME

Re: Pricing might not be entirely their choice

said by XyzzyMagicat:

Verizon DSL pricing is high for whatever reason (can get so much more on FIOS for that price).

AT&T is cheaper. I can get their 12Mbps UVERSE service for $44.95. DSL is what, $24 for 6Mbps?

EDIT: Not to mention, I was getting 20Mbps/2Mbps from Time Warner Cable before I moved for $30/month.

Review by cbrain See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Flawless FiOS connection, DHCP, correct billing, price"
Bad "Don't seem to have any real clout with Verizon, no FiOS TV or bundles"
Overall "Easier to work with than Verizon - sorry I am forced to leave."

--------------04-2011------------------

I was notified last month Verizon would no longer offer FiOS service through DSL Extreme. Transition went smoothly and I am eagerly awaiting my first new Verizon billing experience. FiOS is currently the best residential service regardless who you pay. I hope Verizon can do this simple task as well as DSL Extreme does. I'm putting Comcast's order department on speed dial as I finish this review. I hope Verizon reconsiders their decision to terminate this agent program.

»My 20 months with DSL Extreme

»Can I get 2 DHCP IP's as your page shows?

--------------11-2009--------------------

I had FiOS with Verizon from 3-2005 until 7-2009 when I switched to DSLExtreme. My service is flawless. They process electronic payments accurately and my speed is faster than Verizon for a few dollars more per month. Installation was completed without an on site visit. My only contact after install was 1 call to ask how I pay. It was handled well and they were already auto billing me. I didn't agree to this, but, it has been accurate, doesn't take my time or attention so I like it.

I originally placed an order with DSLExtreme in June because Verizon was unable to switch my account from PPPoE to DHCP. They handled the order well but after about 10 days informed me Verizon canceled my order because there was active FiOS at the same address. DSLExtreme knew from Verizon I had placed a disconnect for 7-31-2009 and explained they could start a new order after that date. A Verizon retention rep called me in mid July to convert my account to DHCP. Good start, but, after processing a disconnect she hit an unexpected billing problem from a 7 month earlier service change. I was suddenly disconnected and left without service. I called DSLExtreme, placed a new order and service was back up in just over a week, on DHCP.

I love FiOS, but, from placing my order to paying my bill, never felt I had any control over my account with Verizon. I was hoping DSLExtreme could better handle Verizon. During my install it began to feel like I simply added another layer of bureaucracy. DSLExtreme set up an installation date for a Verizon tech. No one showed or called. I couldn't get a solid answer until I called Verizon. Verizon never scheduled a tech because all equipment was in place. I relayed this info to DSLExtreme. They offered a discount because of all this. I told them I didn't want a discount, I wanted them to take control and get me solid answers. Everything was fixed in a few days and they did issue a credit. I wasn't really unhappy with the installation time, I just wished DSLExtreme had more control and better communication with Verizon.

»Review of Verizon FiOS by cbrain