DSL EXTREME page on DSLReports

Review by DSL Robot See Profile

• Location: Carson,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Reliable, fast, dry loop connection, great tech support"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Recommended for anyone that can get it"

10/3/2014 Update
This week, DSL Extreme offered the option of purchasing the modem for $100 with one year warranty instead of paying a lease for $6.50 / month. I went ahead and purchased the modem (Pace 5031NV). I will probably buy an extra one for backup. Now my monthly rate is just under $60.

Connection is still solid at 22M down and 1.7M up. No problems at all.

9/30/2014
Review of DSL Extreme using trueSTREAM. 18M/1.5M @$67.33 per month with 4 static IPs.

My DSL Extreme 6000/768 package has been working great for the last 10 years. Recently, I ordered their new trueSTREAM service.

The installation process was smooth - I ordered online and picked a date for installation. DSL Extreme gave me reminder phone calls and emails. The installer was on time. He had a good signal at my phone box, but it took awhile to figure out how my house phone jacks were wired. My old modem was upstairs about 30 ft from the phone box, where I have a router and web and email server. He had to find the right pair of wires to connect at each jack. At first he thought he had it according to his equipment, but the gateway would not connect. So he checked more jacks in the house and even went into the attic. Finally, he tried one more time, and it worked. It has been a solid connection ever since. BTW: The installation fee ($199) was waived. Also, the installer was adamant about not disturbing my existing DSL connection. I had the old connection for a couple of days while I got my new connection configured and tweaked.

I am consistently getting 22M down and 1.5 - 1.8M up. Before, with my 6M download connection, I got speeds around 5M because of the overhead. Now it's nice to get a higher download and upload speed than what I signed up for.

My old Speedstream modem was in bridge mode, and I use an ASUS RT-N16 running DD-WRT to route the public IPs to a websites and email server PC. The new service uses a Pace 5031NV gateway, which does not have bridge mode, but does have Cascaded Router mode. Once it was setup, everything was routed from outside to my internal router. I added a post with a document link on this site for how I setup for static IPs:
»[trueSTREAM] Using static IPs with Pace 5031NV gateway

Since we no longer needed the landline for DSL, we decided to port our home phone number to our magicJack account. We started the transfer online on a Saturday and within minutes we could dial out. Then on the following Monday evening, we got an email from magicJack stating the transfer was complete - and it worked. We were paying about $31 / month for metered rate landline plus caller ID to block junk calls. Now we pay about $1.70 / month with caller ID, voicemail email (my favorite), etc.

So our Internet + landline phone was $62.83 + $31 = $93.83 / month. Now our Internet + phone is $67.33 + about $1.70 for magicJack = $69.03 / month. BTW: Our TV is free. We use an indoor antenna to feed all TVs in the house and it works great.

So we are saving money (about 26%) with a connection that is about 4 times faster!

We are so glad that we ordered the trueSTREAM service. As usual, during the process, we got great tech support from George and Nick on the DSL Extreme forum via IM, email, and phone.

Reviews of DSL Extreme using SBC. 6000/608 @$62.83 per month with 3 static IPs.

3/20/2004
It's been another great year with DSL Extreme. The connection has been very reliable. I recently upgraded from the 1500/256 to the 6000/608 plan. Everything went smoothly and on time. I am fortunate to be 4000' from an RT and my speeds test at around 5080/512. Recently, I got two more free static IPs for a total of 3. I purchased a new router to handle multiple IPs - a DLink DFL-80. Works great. This firewall router allows you to map external IPs to internal networks or servers with individual filtering. Now my internal network is totally stealth on 1 IP and my web server is on another IP. I currently use the third IP for a web camera.

The tech support has been excellent - especially on this web site. They seem to keep right on top of everyone's problems and requests via IM and email. You can learn a lot by just reading the posts.

As usual, I recommend DSL Extreme to anyone that can get it.

1/18/2003
I have been using DSL Extreme for almost a year and its been great. Speeds have been averaging about 1000 / 128. Email has been good, too.

Recently, I posted in the DSL Extreme forum on this site about my BroadMax HSA300A modem that would go to sleep once in a while. Even though my "ping once an hour" workaround helped quite a bit, the modem would still go to sleep sometimes. DSL Extreme responded to my post that there was new firmware available to fix the sleep problem. I contacted Tech support by phone and they sent me a BroadMax HSA300A-2 modem. The new modem has been working perfectly and I no longer need to ping the gateway every hour to keep the modem from sleeping. Problem solved.

Looking forward to another great year of broadband with DSL Extreme!

5/5/2002
I moved from Torrance, CA to Carson, CA in Feb / 2002. In Torrance, I used Road Runner for a little over a year and it worked very well with only a few glitches.

Since DSL Extreme offered a static IP and because of such rave reviews here on DSLReports, I decided to use them instead of AT&T cable or PacBell DSL.

I ordered the $540 special from their web site: one year with modem. I was given a courtesy call a couple of days later informing me that it would take a week or so since I just got my phone line activated. It was nice to get a confirmation. I got the modem in just a few days. I also got an email giving me my static IP and mail server addresses.

On the day scheduled for install, I got a call from a PacBell tech saying that he was in the neighborhood to hook up my DSL and that I may experience a phone outage. Again, I appreciated the status.

He called later as promised and I could see from the modem LEDs that I was on line. My connection worked right away.

It worked fine for a day or so, then I could not communicate. This happened again for the next couple of days: worked for a while, then no connection, so I called DSL Extreme tech support on a Saturday afternoon. The knowledgeable tech was immediately looking at packets from my modem and analyzing the situation. It was determined that I had the same IP address as someone else. He assigned me a new IP address. To do this, he had to contact someone who wasn't in that day. During our testing, I also determined what I thought was a cable problem. I could communicate using a hub and two straight cables, but could not use the crossover cable that came with the modem (for a direct connection to my router).

It turns out that the modem RJ45 receptacle had one pin that was not quite in its slot, so my straight cables would make contact but the crossover cable would not. Later, after I had to wiggle the cable once to restore communication, I asked DSL Extreme to send me a replacement modem. They immediately sent me a new one. No hassles.

Another problem I had was this: If I didn't use my computers for about 16 hours, then I could not communicate, even if I accessed my web server from outside. When I got home from work and fired up my main computer, I could not ping the gateway. The modem LEDs were all normal and the data LED was flashing every two seconds. To fix it, I had to power cycle the DSL modem.

I called DSLExtreme and the tech informed me that the modems go into a sleep mode after no activity so they have to be power cycled.

After observing this problem for a few times, I decided to try an experiment and add a ping script to my Linux web server's cron.hourly directory. This automatically pings my gateway once every hour. This has cured the problem. Now I don't have to power cycle the modem. I have not lost my connection for about two weeks now.

After almost 3 months, I am very happy with the service and it's been a smooth ride after fixing the startup glitches. Since the DSL Extreme tech support was great, these glitches were solved quickly. I think that every new DSL/Cable connection may take one or two weeks to get the kinks out.

I also have a DSL Extreme dial-up account for backup and remote dial in. It costs only $5 / month.

Speeds have averaged around 1100 / 130 and have been fairly consistent. The DSLR line test found 0 packet loss and the Dr. Ping test was 75.

The mail has been perfect. And you can also access your email from the DSL Extreme web site, which is a nice plus.

I recommend DSL Extreme to anyone that can get it.

Comments:

Review by lindend See Profile

• Location: Fort Lauderdale,Broward,FL
Good "Tremendous support, extremely customer friendly"
Bad "Stuck w/rental modem & 10 hour install"
Overall "Uncapped service that is customer friendly. Recommend highly!"

Existing Solution: I had Earthlink DSL (in theory 3mbps down, 256kbps up. Typically seeing downloads around 2.7mbps and uploads ranging between 56kbps and 190kbps). Prices rising and clearly no plans for higher speed service. Been looking for years for another ISP with uncapped internet. When trueSTREAM was announced and was available in my area, I signed up right away after a feed positive reviews on dslreports.com

Before trueSTREAM, I had a POTS and a DSL line and I mentioned to dslx_gm I wanted both active after trueSTREAM was installed. These instructions were clear as the installer mentioned he was under strict instructions that all lines were to remain active (and the other two lines remained active throughout the install (and still are alive))

Order: trueSTREAM 45/6 service

Pre-Sales Support : Excellent support from dslx_gm via IM. Answered a ton of my questions.
Received call the day the appointment was confirmed, the day before the install (Friday) and an email confirmation the night before (Sunday)
Something humorous, a got a reminder call day roughly 2.5 hours into the install that the installer was coming. I think this is a problem w/early east coast installs and west coast personnel doing the reminders.

Post Sales Support: Got one email 24 hours later and then a follow up call this afternoon. DSL Extreme rep just wanted to ensure that I was happy and the install went well.

Installer arrival: 8:40AM (install scheduled for 9AM). It was a very good thing that he came early as you'll later see.

Installer leave: 6:40PM
Install window: 9->11AM with a max install time of four hours

Installer: Very courteous, informed, friendly. Kept up to date throughout the install. Very early on, said inside was the easy part, was concerned about the outside and this would turn out to be prophetic. This installer was tremendous, I recommend him highly. Went way beyond to get my situation resolved. Being a techie, I had a ton of questions about where the VRAD was, how FTTH would work in the future, NIU prep for GigaPower. Always very patient, answered everything he could.

One thing of note: the installer said I was an enterprise customer (I guess cause we're going through DSL extreme)? As such, he could leave no uverse materials and really didn't have to hang around to verify the modem was functional.

He had to make a run or two to the VRAD during the morning, but by 11AM or so, everything was done inside and the NIU setup (but not connected). The connected CAT 5 from the NIU to the house so its ready for FTTH should that happen in this area (my CO is scheduled for a FTTH upgrade 2Q/3Q 2015 but unclear what neighborhoods will get this service). He opened a ticket for a service technician to connect the line and mentioned that it was possible another ticket might have to be opened to get a digging crew to dig up the splice so the new pair would be connected.

The service tech struggled to find the splice where the new pair was to be connected (Comcast has all their terminals above ground but in this area of Florida, all the AT&T/Bellsouth splices are buried 4-6 feed below ground--this was why the installer said the outside would be a problem). Complicating the problem was the fact that the splice was in the neighbors yard (fenced). So we had to get permission to enter (when she came back), then there was concern that we'd have to dig up the area where their pet was buried (thankfully that wasn't necessary, didn't want to have to disturb the pet)

The digging crew ticket should have been closed within an hour, but alas, the digging crew was dealing with a more complex ticket so they were delayed. The service tech could have just hung out and waited, but he started digging. Eventually, the digging crew arrived, and the splice located (around 4/4:30PM).

But of course, things weren't so simple. They struggled to find two adjacent slots to attach the new pair. This went on for a couple hours with additional techs and supervisors joining the party. Eventually, they found one extremely clean line and one pretty solid one (SNR 23 and 19 respectively). I'm about 2000ft from VRAD according to the tech.

Around 6:45 PM, the installer hooked up the modem (Motorola NVG589--I had asked for a Pace but this is all they seem to be installing in this area), it booted up and I got 5/5 service. I was like all this and that's all I get? You have got to be kidding me. Fortunately, I remembered that I had my ASUS router configured for QOS for my Earthlink connection rates. Disabled QOS temporarily, and I got 50/5.5. I expected 50 given the overprovisioning I've been seeing elsewhere, but was surprised at the 5.5. Was expecting around 6.5. Looking at the modem diags, looks like this service level has a theoretical max of 6mbps, so either the modem is misprovisioned or 6mbps really isn't attainable.

When I first setup the modem, I had downstream SNR of 17.4 (Line 1) and 22.1 (Line 2) which I was happy with (service tech he saw some minor FEC on one line but nothing to be concerned about). This was a direct connection to the modem. Being Florida and that fact that a monsoon just started, I tried to route the connection through my APC UPS to prevent surges. Problem is, I couldn't get a stable connection through the UPS, so I gave up and reconnected directly (hooked up an ethernet surge protector so the modem may die via a surge but my network should be ok--its a rental modem anyways as we can't buy our own now). After doing this, the SNR dropped to 12/13 range and has stayed between 12-15 since even through multiple boot cycles. I really don't understand why the first boot had those clean SNRs and I can't get them again once I tried connecting through the UPS.

In talking with the tech, I asked if there was anything that could be done with the SNR (17 + 22 before I started playing with the UPS). He said no, there's a FCard in the VRAD. Unlikely any improvement unless they upgrade to an NCard.

Installer stuck with me at it was around 7PM at this point. He verified I was up and running (though he didn't have too). However, it really does seem they treat enterprise customers special.

The last step in the process was to put the modem in bridge mode to see if the double NAT removal would help test results (it didn't). But the FAQ is quite useful:

»AT&T U-Verse FAQ »How do I setup bridge mode in the Motorola NVG589?

Finally: speedtest.net results are very consistent and match the line specs (50mbps down/5.4 mbps up), but mytest.net reports vastly different numbers 6.8/.823 to DC and 2.5/.566 to Dallas. My actual results (with very limited testing) seem to fall somewhat between speedtest.net and testmy.net reports.

Things I need to get sorted out:

1. Why am I not obtaining 6mbps up? Is it even possible?

Edit: after discussion w/dslx_gm, 6082 kbps is the theoretical max for the line, its not overprovisioned like the lower tier of services. So ~5.5mbps up is within the expected range. A little disappointing but I have my answer.

2. mytest.net variances and very low speed reports.

Edit: mytest.net variances explained in depth by houkouonchi

»Re: [trueSTREAM] differences between speedtest.net and testmy.net

Net: speedtest.net servers should produce more reliable results due to their capacity and latency calculations

3. why am I seeing 15mbps downloads on Ubuntu 12.04 w/speedtest

Found a python script on github

»github.com/sivel/speedtest-cli

and now am getting 50/5.5 on Ubuntu just like Windows

Sorry for the long report, but a 10 hour install was quite involved and I'm not sure I really covered everything.

EDIT: I've enabled a line monitor for my connection in case anyone wants to track it in the DSLX line monitor group.

member for 170 days, 113 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Thecomedian

join:2013-12-09

Resold AT&T U-verse

I am very glad to hear that you love your AT&T service.
lindend

join:2014-06-03

Re: Resold AT&T U-verse

Don't think DSL Extreme has hidden the fact that trueSTREAM is hosted by AT&T Uverse. This is pretty clear the first time you run speedtest. The big difference(s) are no bandwidth caps and the customer support.

biotech

@66.249.113.x

Are you keeping your POTS service active?

I wonder how much the cost of the POTS and DSL line would be compared to the trueStream service.
lindend

join:2014-06-03

Re: Are you keeping your POTS service active?

Almost the same amount. As of now, no plans to get rid of the POTS due to the potential of extended multi-day power outages in Florida. Otherwise, I'd get rid of it today as Google Voice/ObiHai gives me tons more functionality for free!

Review by JoeEee See Profile

• Location: Rialto,San Bernardino,CA
Good "They promised, they delivered and kept me informed every step of the way."
Bad "Leased gateway doesn't let you set DNS internally; have to do it on each device or make the gateway fake bridge mode (not easy!)"
Overall "If you want faster broadband without going to cable, sign up."

Internet Nirvana at last?

First, a little history.

On the cusp of the New Millennium (around 1998-'99) I called Flashcom to inquire about DSL service for my apartment in Loma Linda, California, spurred by the gushing endorsements of KFI-AM 640 radio personalities Bill Handel and Jeff Levy. Up and running in TWO WEEKS, the Flashcom rep assured me.

Six months later after weekly then daily phone calls, 768K/128K ADSL finally went live at the apartment. "Worth the wait," I lied to myself. Then came the frantic phone calls from Flashcom. Would I like to upgrade to twice the speed for a mere $100.00? Giddy youthful indiscretion made me say "Yes! Please!" Little did I know that Verizon was about to throw the switch and boost all of their existing 768K accounts to 1.5M . . . at no extra charge and for the same price.

Once bitten, as they say. By the time I moved to Rialto, Flashcom was but a bad memory and a case study in how not to run a broadband company. AT&T DSL High Speed Internet, please. 1.5M/384K: livable but not necessarily desirable.

Once that was installed, the U-verse marketing barrage began which had me checking for U-verse availability every day, sometimes up to four times a day. Finally, the pre-qual came back positive: 3.0M/768k! Oh, and, uh, there's a hundred dollar equipment upgrade for the notorious Motorola NVG510. Now married and with more financial responsibilities, I called it an investment and took the plunge. A couple months in and the line kept dropping so I was back to 1.5 within 6 months. Wimpy me never thought to ask for a refund of the equipment upgrade fee. Eventually, AT&T advertised faster speeds on my street, so I placed the order for 6Mbps and bundled it with U-verse Voice. In a few days, I began getting text messages asking me to call about my order. Wasted most of a 45-minute lunch break on the phone only to be told they can't boost my speed but would I still be interested in U-Verse Voice bundled with internet at my present speed of 1.5Mbps? Oh, and I'd still have to pay the $199.00 "professional installation" fee. Uh, no thanks.

Over time, I added DSL Extreme to the daily pre-qual ritual, hoping and praying they'd extend the Fusion coverage area to Rialto. Then, one day, the Fusion offer was joined by the new one for trueSTREAM. Typed in my address, held my breath and there it was: speeds up to 12Mbps down/1Mbps up. Signed up for the 12/1 package.

Instead of leaving me hanging, DSL Extreme called a week before the install, the day before the install and the morning of the install. Everything went almost as if it was scripted and the installer from (surprise! surprise!) AT&T left a range extender at no extra cost. And, of course, DSL Extreme called after the install to make sure everything went all right.

Yes, trueSTREAM in my neighborhood is really fiber-backbone U-verse in disguise delivered over the dry pair of my existing telephone landline, but no one at AT&T could explain why, as an existing customer, I couldn't get it from them. The maximum speed AT&T offers at my address is 6Mbps, most likely because they'd rather have you bundle it with DIRECTV instead of offering a speed that encourages media streaming. Anyway, it's up and running just fine, usually beating its rated speed on Speedtest.net. A final phone call to AT&T and the U-verse on the landline was shut down.

Time, of course, will tell. Updates as they happen.

Comments:

Review by anunez87 See Profile

• Location: Lynwood,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Affordable prices for sufficient speeds!!!"
Bad "Can't think of any."
Overall "If you want affordbale internet, DSL EXtreme is the way to go."

First time DSL Extreme subscriber here and I am loving it so far.

I signed up for DSL Extreme's DSL Elite 6000kbps/768kbps Package with a price of $19.99 ($19.99+$3.00 Taxes=$23.00) for the first year. Needless to say this is an upgrade in speed as compared to my previous DSL provider (3000kbps to 6000kbps now), and a downgrade on price ($44 to $20=Savings of $20/month!!!). Oh and not to mention that my previous provider had a Data Cap of 150GB on my line, and with DSL Extreme I have NO CAPS!!!

I was able to use my same equipment (not available for everyone), and had to make very little changes to my setup at home (just 1 DSL Modem Configuration change actually!!!). I am using a Netgear DGN1000 ADLS2+ Modem Router (Gateway) with no issues at all!!!

Order process is very simple, but first educate yourself and research on what is best for you, as I learned with a failed Fusion order. During your order process, answer any 800 number that calls you as that may very well be DSL Extreme calling you. If you have access to DSLReports/BBR/BroadbandReports, contact Nick, Steve, or George to see what exactly you will qualify for. I have never had such easy access to Tier-2 Support as I have with DSL Extreme.

Although my order did take a while, it was not DSL Extreme's fault. Once I had an activation date, I was on my way to faster speeds.

As mentioned earlier, having the ability to communicate with Nick, Steve, and George has been such a convenience, one that I will definitely take advantage of. Calling DSL Extreme (during business hours) has also been very hassle-free.

If you are considering switching DSL providers, give DSL Extreme a shout to see if they can meet your needs. Again, educate yourself on what you need or have them help you.

Thank you DSL Extreme!!!

Comments:
retired17
join:2007-01-24
Anaheim, CA

Switched my AT&T DSL to cable

I was going to switch to DSLExtreme when AT&T raised the price of their 1.5/768 DSL to $39. But TWC offered a no contract price of $14.99+modem for a 3/1 Mbs internet so I went with them. So far no problems after two months.

Re: Switched my AT&T DSL to cable

I had contemplated going with TWC, but I didn't like the idea of how cable internet is "shared". Plus I already had working equipment at my place of service; didn't want to lease any equipment from anyone.

Review by MoWeb See Profile

• Location: Anaheim,Orange,CA
Good "Increased speed and no data caps (unlimited). Lots of land phone features."
Bad "Excessively high taxes"
Overall "Excellent value for the money if you want faster Internet and a Landline"

I was really getting fed up with AT&T continually raising my Landline phone bill with the absolute bare minimum features ($30 for only local calling...really???). I've been a long time DSL Extreme customer so when DSL Extreme's Fusion finally came to Orange County CA I was all over that. Now I have lots of options I didn't before like Caller ID, free long distance, and I no longer have to worry about "Zone 3" charges.

My Internet speed doubled from approximately 5.1Mbps to 10.1Mbps. The buffering issues with Vudu have all but disappeared.

The price is great but having to pay over $12 in taxes which translates to around 20% is really disappointing (no fault to DSL Extreme here). However, I'll need to go over my bill carefully to make sure there are no billing mistakes. Even with the high taxes I'll be saving around $20 a month for Internet and Phone. I didn't have to change my existing modem.

The only issue with installation/setup was not having my static IP address emailed to me as I was told would happen. I had to call tech support to get the IP address. I previously didn't have autopay setup and would have actually preferred to keep it that way but it was required so that's disappointing. I'm not a fan of autopay at all.

Overall I would recommend Fusion to anyone that needs faster Internet speed (if you're close to the CO) and Landline Phone at a more than reasonable price.

Comments:
ramsaso

join:2014-01-04
Houston, TX
·AT&T DSL Service

Thank goodness!

That you are using a landline! (I just don't know what people are keeping their cell phone plans that cost up to ^$50 for a single line when landlines are cheaper. But that's just me constantly using it in a metropolitan area. )

Anyway, how much does the total plan cost? I wonder how much it costs in California.... I hope it's cheaper for you than it is for me ($31.72 for paultry internet service )

Re: Thank goodness!

This is probably a very late reply, but check out their site and see if you qualify for their Fusion service (offered through Sonic). As long as you are close to a Central Office, you should have no problem. The further away you are from the CO, the lower speeds you'll get, but regardless of distance, you'd have all of the phone features.

A tad jealous...

I wish I was close to my Central Office. Would love to have phone and dsl "up to" 20Mbps for around $60.00.

Review by JMGII See Profile

• Location: Santa Clarita,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Faster speeds than promised, excellent installation service"
Bad "Haven't found any yet, but check back i'll update if anything changes"
Overall "This is a must have service if your tired of over priced slow speed internet service."

I got invited by DSL Extreme to try out their trueSTREAM service in my home. It was installed on August 13, 2014. The tech was on time, and was very professional. He took the time to explain the whole process to me before he started the job. While he was in my house, he made sure that he had booties on his shoes as to not track dirt in my home.

When the tech finished installing the trueSTREAM, he went over all the aspects of my service. He also provided me with his cell phone number, and his bosses cell phone number just in case I had an issue. He also made sure that I had the password to my wifi and even offered to set up any mobile devices I might have. I declined, but I was very grateful I was asked.

Now for the service, all I can say is Wow, we are talking the fastest internet I have ever had. They promised me 18Mbps but to my surprise I am getting close to 23Mbps.

I have had the service for about a month now and I am very surprised. It's rare that you find a company that delivers what they promised.

I would definitely recommend DSL Extreme to anyone looking for affordable, fast, and reliable internet service.

Comments:

Review by rsgilbert7 See Profile

• Location: La Palma,Orange,CA
Good "Speeds are excellent, no caps, price is great, support is great!"
Bad "Would prefer to buy the modem/router, but I can live with leasing. "
Overall "Excellent speeds, excellent support, excellent price......excellent company! "

Have had the 6.0/768 package for many years and have been very happy. trueSTREAM came along and features dry loop so I can dump POTS and speeds are beyond belief at this point. Was kept well informed during pre-installation and the installation itself went very smooth. Required to use the leased equipment and the router portion is a bit less powerful than my own router, but adequate. By the way you can continue to use your own router with the modem/router on a pass through basis, but wasn't a big enough issue for me to do so. Overall, I am extremely pleased with the whole process, the reliability of the service and the speed gains.

Comments:

Buttcheeks

@144.160.226.x

Who performed the installation?

Hey there, trueSTREAM is also available in my neighborhood. I was wondering who did the installation? Was it a DSL EXTREME tech or AT&T tech? AT&T is the local phone company where I live. Any help would be great.
Thanks

Chatsworth, CA

Re: Who performed the installation?

Installation is done by a local AT&T tech.

Review by XMbIPb See Profile

• Location: Sherman Oaks,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Sounds cheap (but haven't seen the bill yet)"
Bad "2 year contract (!); lousy speed"
Overall "Their adds say "

Switched to DSL Extreme Fusion plan hoping for some sort of double digit download speed as the company advertises "up to 20 Mbps" speed. What a crock of crap! The salesperson almost crawled out of her skin to sign us up... but when, after the switch, I compared our DL speed with the prior provider (AT &T), found out that the speed is the SAME! Yep 3.4 Mbps by OOKLA test; 2.95 Mbps by XFINITY test. And, no, we do not live far from the "hub." The tech support guys told me we live "within 8000 feet" of the hub. What hurts the most? The TWO YEAR CONTRACT and full knowledge that they will jack up the rate in a year.

Stay away from DSL Extreme Fusion. It sounds like a scam.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Alright, the above post was done in Spring of this year (2014). It is Fall now. Here is the 6-months-report:

STAY AWAY FROM THIS THING !!!!!!!!!

At first, the connection was just as slow as AT&T’s and would get dropped altogether every few weeks.

What do I mean by slow?
AT&T speed: ~ 250-290 kb/s
DSL Extr. ~ 280 kb/s (initial speed)

(NOTE: the SALESREP WHO SIGNED US UP LIED OUTRIGHT !! When I asked a question along the lines of: “Your advertisement says ‘up to 20 Mbps... well I understand the ‘up to’ part... I understand that I will NOT get 20 Mbps, but it will be much faster that what we have now with AT&T, right?” Guess what she said? She said: “Right.” [Honest answer: there is no way in hell they can run a signal through AT & T lines faster than AT&T. These are the same lines! But most customers (including us) just don’t know enough to understand this. Until now...

At one time they managed to get the speed up to the whopping 0.31 Mbps (!!!)
Down side: the CONNECTION was so UNSTABLE it would get dropped every week or every two weeks now.

More calls to the friendly and perky tech support. (By the way, here are the TECH SUPPORT HOURS: Tier II – 7 a.nm. – 10 p.m. during the weekdays. NONE ON THE WEEKENDS. Tier I (in Philippines) is supposed to be 24/7.... SUPPOSED TO BE! Several times I desperately tried to call on the weekends (yep, dropped again... and again... and again... and needed the connection to work) only to be greeted by a message that informed me that “The working hours of tier II tech support are.... etc. etc. etc.” then “Thank you for calling” then “BEEP” – great work guys!) So... More calls to the friendly and perky tech support... Yep. They did send an AT&T lineman to check the lines. Guess what: the problem continued after that.

The problem continues now.

When I complained that these are NOT THE TERMS OF MY CONTRACT. That the terms of my contract actually stipulate that DSLExtreme provides internet connection, NOT DROPS IT ALL THE TIME, and please cancel my contract, pleeeeeeaaase.... Well, you will never believe the response I got. Here is the response: “YOUR CONTRACT SAYS THAT YOU WILL WORK WITH OUR REPRESENTATIVES TO TROUBLESHOOT THE PROBLEMS WHEN THEY ARISE. WE WILL NOT CANCEL YOUR CONTRACT.”

“But...” I stammered, “But... but... troubleshoot them ALL THE TIME?... “
“TROUBLESHOOT THEM AS MANY TIMES AS IT TAKES,” came the reply!

So...
So...
So... my family and I are completely miserable. It seems that our choices are:
1. slow connection (CURRENT CONNECTION IS 101 KBPS !!!)
2. unstable connection, or
3. NO connection at all.

All I can say: I regret the day I signed up for this scam! I can’t wait to get out of this. I am willing to crawl back to AT&T and ask for their slow but steady service for twice the cost (how sad is that?!)

Maybe our case is just a bad outlier, but from all the misery we are going through, my only advice is STAY AWAY DROM DSLEXTREME !!!!

P.S. If for some reason you do sign up for DSLExtreme, do yourself a favor: immediately go to their webpage, take down their tech support number and write it down on a sheet of paper. You will need it when your connection will be dropped! And the only way to get it will be by going online... And you will not be able to get it because you cannot get connected... And... Well, you see my point, I hope.

Comments:
mtn_area

join:2013-11-20
Crestline, CA

Nice

review. Seems to completely throw distance (roughly 10 - 12mbit is attainable at 2.5k meters), line quality, inside wiring and many other variables to the wind. If the speed is the same between the two providers, then the issue most likely falls down to physical lines (which are AT&T's area), the wiring inside your house (which is your area) or plant issues.

Have you even called to have them check these things, or checked yourself in the case of house wiring?

DSL Extreme

If you're seeing 2.95-3.4 on speed tests, then you are presumably getting higher speed than you were with the previous AT&T circuit. AT&T sells speeds at specific 'tiers', meaning even if your line COULD handle more than, say, 3Mbps, you'd have to pay more to get those higher speeds.

3Mbps is one of their standard speed packages, but as you can see here: »DSL FAQ »What is the 80% bandwidth / speed even if you're signed up for a 3Mbps connection, you won't actually see 3Mbps on a speed test; you'd only see about 2.4 on the speed test, due to the '80% rule', even though your line is actually handling the full 3.0 gross bitrate.

The next step up on AT&T's tiers is the 6Mbps package. However, these days AT&T will not sell 6Mbps at 8000' - you'd need to be within 6000' or so for AT&T to offer such a speed package (and even then, you'd be paying for a 6Mbps package and really only getting about 3/4 of that).

AT&T doesn't have a 4.5 Mbps package or anything else between 3 and 6 - you either pay for 3Mbps (even though your line can run faster), or you overpay for 6 (IF they'll even let you). Fusion, by contrast, is a 'no-tier' service - we charge a single, flat fee and allow your line to run the fastest it can, rather than try to charge you more for higher speeds. In your case, it certainly seems to be helping, as a 3.4 speed test result means you're actually getting about 4.25 gross bitrate, about 50% more than what you'd be able to get on the 3Mbps AT&T package. I'd be willing to see if we can tweak the line to squeeze out even more speed, if your line can support it; feel free to send me a PM with your account info.
XMbIPb

join:2014-03-18

Re: DSL Extreme

Dear DSLx Nick, please do no get me wrong. AT&T is absolutely lousy! Which is why we switched to DSL Extreme hoping for better DSL speeds. Having said that, I can't tell you how disapointed we are with the DSL Extreme performance. In your post you said: "I'd be willing to see if we can tweak the line to squeeze out even more speed, if your line can support it; feel free to send me a PM with your account info."

Please tell me what information you need? At this point I'd do anything g to make it better... Although I doubt anyone can. I just feel stupid falling for DSL Extreme advert...

Re: DSL Extreme

Replied to your PM - if you send me your phone number, or account number, or username, or email address, I should be able to find your account easily enough. I can also search by first and last name, but sometimes there's multiple matches for that.

Chatsworth, CA
I'm sorry you seem to be having trouble. As you may recall when we last spoke back in March, I had optimized the line to about 4.5Mbps downstream, but I had to push it pretty hard to get it that high so you should let me know if that was pushing the line too hard and causing the connection to be intermittent.

That said... the line looks like it adjusted back down a bit over the summer (the increased heat during summer is a contributing factor which can reduce line speeds), but since your troubleshooting with our tech support at end of July it's been running with extremely stable settings; in fact, looking over the past month, there were some resyncs on Sept 1st, and that's it - no other resyncs recorded for the entire month. So, if you've been encountering disconnects over the past month, that would suggest there may be a problem with equipment inside your house, rather than outside.

Furthermore, your line speeds are currently registering 2.2Mbps downstream at the modem, 0.8Mbps up; this also suggests there may be a problem between your modem and your computer, since you're seeing far slower speeds than that on the speed test result you posted (either that, or a problem with the server you're running the speed test on). In reviewing your ticket notes, I can see that several times when you called in, you were unable to get online while you had your very old MWN-WAPR150N router connected, but when our technician had you bypass the router your connection and speed returned to normal. It looks like you have the router bypassed now - are you still having connection problems with the router bypassed? I would suggest running a few speed tests on a few different sites with the router bypassed.

P.S. Our Tier 2 support is open until 5pm on the weekend. You should only get the recording you mentioned if you call after hours and your ticket has already been escalated to Tier 2. If you call in to 866-491-7221 during regular hours, you should be able to get ahold of tech support easily. If you should be having any trouble getting ahold of us via phone for whatever reason, however, you're always welcome to send me a PM here, of course.
XMbIPb

join:2014-03-18

Re: DSL Extreme

Spoke w. another Tier II rep.
Unplugged the modem.
Unplugged the router.
Did... oh the pretty much the usual thing that I "grew to do and love" over and over and over since signing up with DSLExtreme. Things seemed to work... for about 15 minutes. (I am not joking.)

Then... had to do all that all over again. Which bought me another several hours of connection.

Then the service was dropped again. So... I:
Unplugged the modem.
Unplugged the router.
Did... oh the pretty much the usual thing that I "grew to do and love" over and over and over since signing up with DSLExtreme. Interestingly, running Windows 7 troubleshooting utility kept on returning message that said something like: "your system appears to be configured appropriately. Unable to connect to your ISP DNS server."

Then the connection spontaneously returned... then dropped again...

Now have a spotty connection that logs at 1.6 mbps (according too DSLExtr.'s own speed test.) Just long enough to type this response... While waiting for another nice Tier II representative to assist me after "all our representative [finally finish] assisting our customers. Please wait..."

... and "all our representative are assisting our customers. Please wait..."

... and "all our representative assisting our customers. Please wait..."

... and "all our representative assisting our customers. Please wait..."

Nick, I CAN'T EVEN TELL YOU HOW FRUSTRATED I AM! Can you please, please, PLEEEEEEASE tell me what it takes to drop DSLExtreme? I mean short of company provided modem coming to life and physically strangling me, is there an end to this anguish? Please do not take this personally, but when signing up with DSLExtreme we signed up FOR internet service, NOT THE LACK OF IT!

P.S. You know, I don't mean to sound flippant, but there never seemed to be a problem with "wiring inside our house" with AT & T. From the standpoint of diagnosing the problem, wouldn't that point to something... um... other than problem "with wiring inside the house." Seriously....

Re: DSL Extreme

I do see that the technician you spoke with yesterday has submitted a request to send out a field tech, so we can determine if the trouble you're encountering is on the outside or on the inside. Bear in mind that 'inside wiring' can be a bit of a catch-all; an 'inside wiring' problem could be a broken bit of wiring inside, or could be a similar problem such as an unfiltered phone, fax machine, answering machine, alarm system, etc.

You can also get similar symptoms if there's faulty equipment plugged in. The tech has also sent out a replacement modem, in case it's a problem with the modem you're using; it will have a set of filters, and I suggest replacing your current filters with the new ones just in case there's a faulty filter somewhere. I again want to suggest that you should try leaving the router turned off (for an extended period - at least a day or two), since there's considerable evidence that the router may be faulty and causing the issue you're experiencing.

DennisLS

@162.236.144.x

Re: DSL Extreme bad tech, don't buy

Not inside wiring, unless it was bad tech installation! I was thinking of switching, bad technicians here. No switch for me. Leo Leporte needs to be informed of this bad service.

Review by cpuoverck See Profile

• Location: Lawndale,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Service has been responsive when needed"
Bad "Modems provided have a history of failing"
Overall "For DSL I think they are better than dealing with the phone company"

I ordered the 3 Gb service. I get 2.4 reliably and sometimes faster. I have had some trouble with the Modems provided. Sometimes they have dropped off and other times they need to be rebooted to get full speed. This seems to happen in hot weather so I suspect the heat is too much for the modems. They have replaced three over about 6 years which I consider good of them. Email is through Google Gmail and works well and has google phone too.

Last two modems have been comtrend CT-5072T.

Comments:

jadinolf
I love you Fred
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

Nice post

Good to hear from you.

I'm originally a Hawthorne, Torrance guy.
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

Review by Demonfang See Profile

• Location: Spring Mills,Centre,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Great isp that sticks by your side"
Bad "No free dial-up"
Overall "if you just want internet and nothing else, go with dsl extreme"

note: price is for 2 3 down/768 up lines which i load balance

went with dsl extreme after getting tired of verizon being little help when my lines would break, insisting i simply downgrade (sometimes to under 1.0 down back when 768 down packages existed) rather than actually check the (aging) copper in my area (from way back when it was bell atlantic) and repair it as needed. originally heard of dsl extreme many years back from leo laporte if i remember right. switched over a couple years back and it's been great since. problems actually get fixed and i get proper turnaround times on any requests rather than weeks (if ever) from verizon. all of my dsl now goes through dsl extreme (including vacation house), all for a reasonable rate.

only minus have is inability to get 5 or 7 down, but not much i can do about that with a 15k' long loop that is in sad shape, and not enough people in area to warrant an rt. lines also act a little funny during really severe storms, but that's also a vz issue (soggy splice box syndrome+lightning).

member for 3.5 years, 1058 visits, last login: a few hours ago