DSL EXTREME page on DSLReports

Review by arruge4 See Profile

• Location: Riverside,Riverside,CA
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Tech support, billing"
Overall "It was a real nightmare with these guys"

I was a previous DSL Extreme customer in the past, and I had no complaints back then.

I recently ordered their DSL service for my second home. I planned to use it for light browsing and streaming. The fastest plan available on ADSL was 1.5/384, so I ordered that and service started about a week ago.

Immediately there were problems with web pages loading. At times web pages would load normally, and then a minute later they would not ("problem loading page" errors or incomplete pages with missing graphics, etc).

I ran a speed test and the reported numbers were 1.3/320.

On my own I tried different web browsers on different computers in the house, changed the DSL phone line filter, replaced the phone cable from the jack, swapped out the DSL modem (used a 2wire, netgear, and d-link), removed my wireless router, and switched to cat5 direct to the modem. I finally ran a new phone line from the outside jack less than 10ft to the modem. All that on my own and still no change. Web page loading was still a problem.

I emailed DSL Extreme tech support. I received a reply the next day and began the troubleshooting process.

A whole week of emails and phone calls, and here is what happened:
* Check the DSL signal each time and they do not see a problem -- one tech guy did mentioned that there were some drops on the downstream
* Attenuation was about 63db, SNR around 18-19, distance out just over 14,000ft
* Tracert checks -- lots of time outs and incomplete traces
* Change the profile from fast to interleave -- latency goes up
* Change the profile from interleave to fast -- latency goes back down
* Port change
* Change the profile from fast to interleave (2nd time)
* Change the profile from interleave to fast (2nd time)

All this and still no resolution.

Finally, DSL Extreme sent an AT&T technician to check the line at my house (and AT&T will charge a fee if there is any repair done inside the home, but outside work is free) He checked the wiring and equipment. He said the line readings from outside showed no errors. I showed him my laptop that I used for troubleshooting all week. He saw the web pages loading slow or not loading at all. He connected his Ipad to my home network and experienced the same problem. He said something like it was worse than dial-up.

He drove out to check the street terminal. About 45 minutes later he drove back and explained that he found the terminal and it was about 4,000 ft from my house, and because it was an older neighborhood it was still using a copper network. After that he closed everything up and left. I did ask for his business card in case I needed to contact him for information.

I contacted DSL Extreme again. I explained the technician left and nothing was fixed. Tech support said they would call me back that day (she had to speak to her supervisor about something). I never got a call back. I called the next day. Tech support read the technician's notes. He said he had to check something with the phone company so he was going to call me back. He did call back and his idea was to change the profile to fast (for a 3rd time!).

At this point I lost it. After a whole week of jumping through hoops I told him I wanted out of my contract and the service closed. They had a whole week to try to fix the problem, and now they wanted to start all over again from the beginning. And with these guys it is not really a "troubleshooting process" because if it were they would not be doing the same things over and over again. I am very sure that if I did not mention the previous profile changes or port changes or whatever these guys would keep doing the same things.

His final "guess" for fixing the problem was to change the DSLAM. I told him "if that did not work, what then?" He said something like "I guess we will try something else" and I asked "what else is there to try?" He had no reply. The obvious solution was that AT&T would need to do a major network upgrade in this area, and that is not likely to happen soon. I asked the agent if he could force AT&T to upgrade the neighborhood and he said "if that is what we have to do then we will do it." I just laughed at that.

*** Now the fun part. The billing department. ***

I spoke to billing and explained the situation. After a week of troubleshooting the problem is still unresolved. I was tired of it and I think it is best to just cancel the contract and let me go on my way.

She read the tech support notes and put me on hold to speak her supervisor. She got back about 10 mins later and explained that since I did not allow tech support to fix the problem (by changing the DSLAM) I would have to pay the $250 termination fee. I explained to her the basic problem I had with their tech support: they do not know what they are doing! After which she offered to switch me to month-to-month plan and charge me a $60 activation fee and a pro-rated monthly plan fee. That was the cheapest way to "buy out" of the contract. About $75 total for a crappy week of internet service.

After that I called the AT&T technician that came out and I asked him about the DSLAM change. He said all the line readings looked good when he checked it, so changing the DSLAM was unnecessary. So DSL Extreme tech support was wrong again.

I really should have checked if there was a 30-day satisfaction guarantee included. But with DSL Extreme it is all about milking the customer, so I am sure they would have stuck it to me either way.

Would I recommend DSL Extreme to others? Absolutely not. These guys are as bad as the big cable companies when it comes to support. They care more about $$$ then customer satisfaction.

Comments:

dslx_nick

Dear arruge4,

I'm sorry you had trouble with your connection and the support you received from us, and hope that you don't have that same difficulty with your next provider. For what it's worth, I can tell you from experience that changing the DSLAM was the correct action at that point. If you'd like, I can provide further technical information explaining this.

Also, if you haven't already I do recommend reading this BBR FAQ: »DSL FAQ »What is the 80% bandwidth / speed I do understand that your problem was an intermittent one ("At times web pages would load normally, and then a minute later they would not"), but 1.3/320 on an online speed test is actually very good for a line provisioned for 1.5/384 gross, so something to be aware of when running speed tests in the future, whether with us or with another ISP.

Sincerely,
Nick L.
DSL Extreme Tech Support

Review by bwager See Profile

• Location: usa
Good "tech support 24/7"
Bad "when they want more money from you, they just slow your speed down and try to upgrade your service."
Overall "Bottom line is. my service now is slower than when I was with dialup service."

Basic at 12.98 pm
Bottom line is. my service now is slower than when I was with dialup service.

Comments:

dslx_nick

Hello bwager,

I'm sorry your service doesn't seem to be working to your satisfaction. I see that you've been with us for many years, and thanks to this your account is currently grandfathered in at a special low price. I assure you, we appreciate your sticking with us, and certainly don't do anything to throttle your speed below your provisioned 768kbps. However, if you want higher speeds while watching your videos online, that does mean you'd have to sign up for a more expensive speed package. If you have any questions or need any assistance with this, please feel free to send me a PM and I'll be happy to help.

Review by XMbIPb See Profile

• Location: Sherman Oaks,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Sounds cheap (but haven't seen the bill yet)"
Bad "2 year contract (!); lousy speed"
Overall "Their adds say "

Switched to DSL Extreme Fusion plan hoping for some sort of double digit download speed as the company advertises "up to 20 Mbps" speed. What a crock of crap! The salesperson almost crawled out of her skin to sign us up... but when, after the switch, I compared our DL speed with the prior provider (AT &T), found out that the speed is the SAME! Yep 3.4 Mbps by OOKLA test; 2.95 Mbps by XFINITY test. And, no, we do not live far from the "hub." The tech support guys told me we live "within 8000 feet" of the hub. What hurts the most? The TWO YEAR CONTRACT and full knowledge that they will jack up the rate in a year.

Stay away from DSL Extreme Fusion. It sounds like a scam.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Alright, the above post was done in Spring of this year (2014). It is Fall now. Here is the 6-months-report:

STAY AWAY FROM THIS THING !!!!!!!!!

At first, the connection was just as slow as AT&T’s and would get dropped altogether every few weeks.

What do I mean by slow?
AT&T speed: ~ 250-290 kb/s
DSL Extr. ~ 280 kb/s (initial speed)

(NOTE: the SALESREP WHO SIGNED US UP LIED OUTRIGHT !! When I asked a question along the lines of: “Your advertisement says ‘up to 20 Mbps... well I understand the ‘up to’ part... I understand that I will NOT get 20 Mbps, but it will be much faster that what we have now with AT&T, right?” Guess what she said? She said: “Right.” [Honest answer: there is no way in hell they can run a signal through AT & T lines faster than AT&T. These are the same lines! But most customers (including us) just don’t know enough to understand this. Until now...

At one time they managed to get the speed up to the whopping 0.31 Mbps (!!!)
Down side: the CONNECTION was so UNSTABLE it would get dropped every week or every two weeks now.

More calls to the friendly and perky tech support. (By the way, here are the TECH SUPPORT HOURS: Tier II – 7 a.nm. – 10 p.m. during the weekdays. NONE ON THE WEEKENDS. Tier I (in Philippines) is supposed to be 24/7.... SUPPOSED TO BE! Several times I desperately tried to call on the weekends (yep, dropped again... and again... and again... and needed the connection to work) only to be greeted by a message that informed me that “The working hours of tier II tech support are.... etc. etc. etc.” then “Thank you for calling” then “BEEP” – great work guys!) So... More calls to the friendly and perky tech support... Yep. They did send an AT&T lineman to check the lines. Guess what: the problem continued after that.

The problem continues now.

When I complained that these are NOT THE TERMS OF MY CONTRACT. That the terms of my contract actually stipulate that DSLExtreme provides internet connection, NOT DROPS IT ALL THE TIME, and please cancel my contract, pleeeeeeaaase.... Well, you will never believe the response I got. Here is the response: “YOUR CONTRACT SAYS THAT YOU WILL WORK WITH OUR REPRESENTATIVES TO TROUBLESHOOT THE PROBLEMS WHEN THEY ARISE. WE WILL NOT CANCEL YOUR CONTRACT.”

“But...” I stammered, “But... but... troubleshoot them ALL THE TIME?... “
“TROUBLESHOOT THEM AS MANY TIMES AS IT TAKES,” came the reply!

So...
So...
So... my family and I are completely miserable. It seems that our choices are:
1. slow connection (CURRENT CONNECTION IS 101 KBPS !!!)
2. unstable connection, or
3. NO connection at all.

All I can say: I regret the day I signed up for this scam! I can’t wait to get out of this. I am willing to crawl back to AT&T and ask for their slow but steady service for twice the cost (how sad is that?!)

Maybe our case is just a bad outlier, but from all the misery we are going through, my only advice is STAY AWAY DROM DSLEXTREME !!!!

P.S. If for some reason you do sign up for DSLExtreme, do yourself a favor: immediately go to their webpage, take down their tech support number and write it down on a sheet of paper. You will need it when your connection will be dropped! And the only way to get it will be by going online... And you will not be able to get it because you cannot get connected... And... Well, you see my point, I hope.

Comments:
mtn_area

join:2013-11-20
Crestline, CA

Nice

review. Seems to completely throw distance (roughly 10 - 12mbit is attainable at 2.5k meters), line quality, inside wiring and many other variables to the wind. If the speed is the same between the two providers, then the issue most likely falls down to physical lines (which are AT&T's area), the wiring inside your house (which is your area) or plant issues.

Have you even called to have them check these things, or checked yourself in the case of house wiring?

DSL Extreme

If you're seeing 2.95-3.4 on speed tests, then you are presumably getting higher speed than you were with the previous AT&T circuit. AT&T sells speeds at specific 'tiers', meaning even if your line COULD handle more than, say, 3Mbps, you'd have to pay more to get those higher speeds.

3Mbps is one of their standard speed packages, but as you can see here: »DSL FAQ »What is the 80% bandwidth / speed even if you're signed up for a 3Mbps connection, you won't actually see 3Mbps on a speed test; you'd only see about 2.4 on the speed test, due to the '80% rule', even though your line is actually handling the full 3.0 gross bitrate.

The next step up on AT&T's tiers is the 6Mbps package. However, these days AT&T will not sell 6Mbps at 8000' - you'd need to be within 6000' or so for AT&T to offer such a speed package (and even then, you'd be paying for a 6Mbps package and really only getting about 3/4 of that).

AT&T doesn't have a 4.5 Mbps package or anything else between 3 and 6 - you either pay for 3Mbps (even though your line can run faster), or you overpay for 6 (IF they'll even let you). Fusion, by contrast, is a 'no-tier' service - we charge a single, flat fee and allow your line to run the fastest it can, rather than try to charge you more for higher speeds. In your case, it certainly seems to be helping, as a 3.4 speed test result means you're actually getting about 4.25 gross bitrate, about 50% more than what you'd be able to get on the 3Mbps AT&T package. I'd be willing to see if we can tweak the line to squeeze out even more speed, if your line can support it; feel free to send me a PM with your account info.
XMbIPb

join:2014-03-18

Re: DSL Extreme

Dear DSLx Nick, please do no get me wrong. AT&T is absolutely lousy! Which is why we switched to DSL Extreme hoping for better DSL speeds. Having said that, I can't tell you how disapointed we are with the DSL Extreme performance. In your post you said: "I'd be willing to see if we can tweak the line to squeeze out even more speed, if your line can support it; feel free to send me a PM with your account info."

Please tell me what information you need? At this point I'd do anything g to make it better... Although I doubt anyone can. I just feel stupid falling for DSL Extreme advert...

Re: DSL Extreme

Replied to your PM - if you send me your phone number, or account number, or username, or email address, I should be able to find your account easily enough. I can also search by first and last name, but sometimes there's multiple matches for that.

Chatsworth, CA
I'm sorry you seem to be having trouble. As you may recall when we last spoke back in March, I had optimized the line to about 4.5Mbps downstream, but I had to push it pretty hard to get it that high so you should let me know if that was pushing the line too hard and causing the connection to be intermittent.

That said... the line looks like it adjusted back down a bit over the summer (the increased heat during summer is a contributing factor which can reduce line speeds), but since your troubleshooting with our tech support at end of July it's been running with extremely stable settings; in fact, looking over the past month, there were some resyncs on Sept 1st, and that's it - no other resyncs recorded for the entire month. So, if you've been encountering disconnects over the past month, that would suggest there may be a problem with equipment inside your house, rather than outside.

Furthermore, your line speeds are currently registering 2.2Mbps downstream at the modem, 0.8Mbps up; this also suggests there may be a problem between your modem and your computer, since you're seeing far slower speeds than that on the speed test result you posted (either that, or a problem with the server you're running the speed test on). In reviewing your ticket notes, I can see that several times when you called in, you were unable to get online while you had your very old MWN-WAPR150N router connected, but when our technician had you bypass the router your connection and speed returned to normal. It looks like you have the router bypassed now - are you still having connection problems with the router bypassed? I would suggest running a few speed tests on a few different sites with the router bypassed.

P.S. Our Tier 2 support is open until 5pm on the weekend. You should only get the recording you mentioned if you call after hours and your ticket has already been escalated to Tier 2. If you call in to 866-491-7221 during regular hours, you should be able to get ahold of tech support easily. If you should be having any trouble getting ahold of us via phone for whatever reason, however, you're always welcome to send me a PM here, of course.
XMbIPb

join:2014-03-18

Re: DSL Extreme

Spoke w. another Tier II rep.
Unplugged the modem.
Unplugged the router.
Did... oh the pretty much the usual thing that I "grew to do and love" over and over and over since signing up with DSLExtreme. Things seemed to work... for about 15 minutes. (I am not joking.)

Then... had to do all that all over again. Which bought me another several hours of connection.

Then the service was dropped again. So... I:
Unplugged the modem.
Unplugged the router.
Did... oh the pretty much the usual thing that I "grew to do and love" over and over and over since signing up with DSLExtreme. Interestingly, running Windows 7 troubleshooting utility kept on returning message that said something like: "your system appears to be configured appropriately. Unable to connect to your ISP DNS server."

Then the connection spontaneously returned... then dropped again...

Now have a spotty connection that logs at 1.6 mbps (according too DSLExtr.'s own speed test.) Just long enough to type this response... While waiting for another nice Tier II representative to assist me after "all our representative [finally finish] assisting our customers. Please wait..."

... and "all our representative are assisting our customers. Please wait..."

... and "all our representative assisting our customers. Please wait..."

... and "all our representative assisting our customers. Please wait..."

Nick, I CAN'T EVEN TELL YOU HOW FRUSTRATED I AM! Can you please, please, PLEEEEEEASE tell me what it takes to drop DSLExtreme? I mean short of company provided modem coming to life and physically strangling me, is there an end to this anguish? Please do not take this personally, but when signing up with DSLExtreme we signed up FOR internet service, NOT THE LACK OF IT!

P.S. You know, I don't mean to sound flippant, but there never seemed to be a problem with "wiring inside our house" with AT & T. From the standpoint of diagnosing the problem, wouldn't that point to something... um... other than problem "with wiring inside the house." Seriously....

Re: DSL Extreme

I do see that the technician you spoke with yesterday has submitted a request to send out a field tech, so we can determine if the trouble you're encountering is on the outside or on the inside. Bear in mind that 'inside wiring' can be a bit of a catch-all; an 'inside wiring' problem could be a broken bit of wiring inside, or could be a similar problem such as an unfiltered phone, fax machine, answering machine, alarm system, etc.

You can also get similar symptoms if there's faulty equipment plugged in. The tech has also sent out a replacement modem, in case it's a problem with the modem you're using; it will have a set of filters, and I suggest replacing your current filters with the new ones just in case there's a faulty filter somewhere. I again want to suggest that you should try leaving the router turned off (for an extended period - at least a day or two), since there's considerable evidence that the router may be faulty and causing the issue you're experiencing.

DennisLS

@162.236.144.x

Re: DSL Extreme bad tech, don't buy

Not inside wiring, unless it was bad tech installation! I was thinking of switching, bad technicians here. No switch for me. Leo Leporte needs to be informed of this bad service.

Review by socrates See Profile

• Location: usa
Good "never received service"
Bad "customer service including managers"
Overall "Give a good price, but awful customer service"

This process has proven to be the absolute WORST customer service from any phone or internet provider ever. I spoke twice on the day service was supposed to be connected. After hours of tech support, they told me they would get someone out from 8am - 8pm to turn on our DSL. They confirmed that the technician would not be able to come in without someone home. I explained that I work, but would take the day off if they were sure. I proceeded to call 5 times and was assured each time that they called and verified someone would come before 8pm. I explained each time that it was exceptionally difficult for me to leave work and I really needed to make sure someone arrived. Of course no one came and no one called. Finally, when I called for the 5th time at 8:20, I was told ha ha they are not coming today and there is no one to call. They didn't make it. No one called me. It was promised all day that they would come. I finally spoke to a supervisor, Michael to whom I explained the situation. He said that he would do his best to get someone out 4-6 pm the next day so I would not have to take the whole day off and that someone would confirm in the morning. Of course, no one called to confirm anything. When we called again, we were told that they would have a tech come 12-4. However, again, no one came. My husband left work early for a second time and called the supervisor, who finally called back to tell us that there is a state of emergency (which the phone company does not show) and they cannot come again. I was exceptionally upset and explained that this cannot continue. However, no additional attempt was made to call me until 4 pm the following Monday, when the representative proceeded to tell me that the phone company came Saturday and could not get in to the phone room. After 9 phone calls, 2 of which were with supervisors, with every single phone call including the fact that someone needed to be home for the phone company to access, no one bothered to even call. I am so extremely disappointed. I again asked that a supervisor in charge call me if they wanted to try to keep my account. No one called until the next day to say that someone would need to be home between 8am-8pm again if we wanted service. No customer service, no attempt to fix this situation. I finally spoke to another supervisor today Nick, who spent the phone call going through the times and conversations. Instead of realizing a customer had taken off work twice and asked how DSL Extreme could fix the situation, he proceeded to explain that it was the phone company. When I explained that I purchased service from them, not the phone company in the hope of customer service, which I did not receive, he continued to explain that their reps did the right thing and the problem was the phone co. Not one time did he offer to fix the problem or make sure we get service. Not once. Then they proceeded to tell me that they have already charged me for service I have never had and they are not sure that they will give me a refund. The manager will evaluate if I should be refunded for service I never, ever had. Will update in 24-48 hours when they make their decision

Comments:

dslx_gm
join:2002-12-26
Chatsworth, CA

I have reviewed your account...

Hi Irena,

I would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced in trying to get your service established. The vast majority of our Fusion Broadband installations go very smooth and this is out of the ordinary. I show that when it was determined that your service had been connected but you were not able to get sync within your home that our technicians determined a dispatch by AT&T was necessary and set one up. Unfortunately it appears that due to unforeseen circumstances AT&T missed that dispatch and despite being escalated by us was not able to get out there the next day either. I understand that this can be an inconvenience and for that I do sincerely apologize. I understand your desire to just get the service fully connected within your home and can understand your frustration. I would appreciate the opportunity to try to get an AT&T technician rescheduled to come out and test your connection. I am confident that once we get the technician there that they will be able to address and get the problem resolved. I am going to ask one of my lead technicians to give you a call to see if we can get a dispatch setup again so we can get you connected and move forward.

Thanks,
George
George
Chief Operating Officer
Will work for reviews.

Review by VickB See Profile

• Location: Pasadena,Los Angeles,CA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "It mostly works"
Bad "Worst customer service in the world. Everything is always someone else's problem."
Overall "Avoid. Avoid. Avoid. Not worth the savings."

Typical story. Sales reps promise one thing, technician delivers another. Took 7 days to get online with nothing close to speeds promised by sales people. When tried to get things fixed/improved every issue was always someone else's problem. They do nothing but turn it on. If it works great, if it doesn't work, it is your problem. DSL EXTREME HAS NO TECHNICIANS OF THEIR OWN.

Want to cancel within the first month, sorry you've already signed a contract, you pay for the full 1-year contract anyway.

AVOID. AVOID. AVOID.

member for 1 year, 0 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

dslx_nick

DSL Extreme

Hello Vick. I'm sorry you seem to be having trouble, although I'm a little confused - on the one hand, you're saying that it IS working, but on the other, you're complaining "if it doesn't work, it is your problem"?

With regards to the speed, you claim the sales department promised a speed you are not getting? If I had to guess, you are talking about a Fusion account. Fusion accounts *do not* guarantee 20 Mbps - we guarantee that you will be charged one flat rate for whatever speed your line physically can handle, and our sales representatives never promise otherwise. Our technicians here (yes, we do have technicians) likewise do not promise 20 Mbps, but will do everything we can to optimize your line and get you as much speed as your line can stably handle. If you are not talking about a Fusion account, then you are presumably talking about one of our traditional DSL services, which ARE priced differently depending on which speed tier you are signed up for.

With regards to canceling service: if you are signed up for our Fusion service, then we have a 30-day guarantee during which you can cancel service and not be bound by the annual contract. You would only be bound by the annual contract if you signed up for one of our traditional DSL services.

So... did you sign up for a Fusion service, or one of our traditional DSL services? If you signed up for the Fusion service, then there is no promised speed, but you should not be bound by the annual contract, and if there's any confusion I should be able to get that fixed for you. If you are signed up for one of our traditional DSL services, then you are bound by contract, but I should be able to get you the minimum guaranteed speed. Please send me a PM with some account info so I can look into this for you.
totalradio

join:2007-09-15

Avoid

Vick.

I recently had a bad experience with DSL Extreme. Without going into specifics, you're doing the right thing....stay away from them.

James

@charter.com

Re: Avoid

Avoid indeed. Terrible service. Horrible connectivity. No refunds for service being out hours...even months at a time. They don't seem to realize that if they do not provide service, they have breeched a contract, and then they turn around and try to charge the injured party a cancellation fee. Several complaints online. Just read their Yelp reviews! Also, many complaints about being charged for returned modems. Be warned.

Review by microaide See Profile

• Location: Covina,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Low price (first 12 months)"
Bad "Rate is low for first 12 months, then it goes up 66%. If you cancel, you can't renew or get any other DSL for 30 days or more!"
Overall "If it sounds too good to be true, it is. There is no such thing as cheap DSL."

I ordered DSL from DSL Extreme because I was unhappy with the customer support from Verizon. But after my 12 month contract was over I found out the DSL Extreme renewal rate was considerably higher. They DO NOT PUBLISH the renewal rates anywhere on their website. I found out I could keep the $14.95 new customer rate if I cancelled the service, then signed up again. This would take about 2 weeks, during which I was without internet service. After cancelling the service you have to wait until the phone company disconnects the DSL service on their end of the line before you can order DSL service again. This used to take a few days, or maybe up to a week. But this time I cancelled service and the phone company has not disconnected the DSL for over 2 weeks. I found out from DSL Extreme that the typical disconnect time is now OVER 30 DAYS, during which time I cannot order any new DSL service form ANYONE. Beware of DSL Extreme. They hook you with a low rate, then jack the price up when the contract is over. And if you cancel, you will be stuck with no DSL for over a month!

Comments:

Review by rulds See Profile

• Location: San Marcos,San Diego,CA
Good "It's pretty darn fast 3mb line"
Bad "No chance for upgrades"
Overall "If you like 3mbs and its all you need dslextreme is a good ISP"

·Cox HSI
Well I ordered a 3 MB 512 line and it works fine for one computer. We need it for my tablet, gaming systems, laptop, dailysis reporting. Medical equipment.

Bottom line is del extreme claims they do not have remote terminal access to give me 6 Mbps. AT&T says there full of crap.

I was pre qualified on there own system for a 6mb line, to top it off I was able to place a order which never made it to AT&T ordering system, it got canceled way before it was even considered.

I call them and they give me a line of crap so I told them to turn off the line so AT&T can go ahead with the 6mb.

Called AT&T got the 6 mb ordered with VoIP line unlimited all for 50 bucks a month.

The only downfall is 100.00 to start up the service, another 99 bucks to install the line.

If your going dsl extreme be careful do not sign a contract.test it out month to month first you be glad you did...

Comments:

Review by crdopp See Profile

• Location: Oak Park,Ventura,CA
Good "Nothing anymore..."
Overall "This is a greedy company with horrible customer support. Once you "sign" the contract, you will regret it"

Are you looking to sign-up with DSL Extreme? If so, please read this first.

I signed up for service way back in 2000 when they were a young company, offering personal service and friendly staff. I maintained service with them for almost 9 years. Over that time, I saw their tech support go from local support to outsourced. All local phone numbers were removed from their website and there was literally no way to speak to a local representative. I became so fed up, that I finally switched to U-Verse. That’s not the worst of it. The saga continues.

My mom had also signed up for service with DSL Extreme. For the same reasons, she decided to switch to AT&T DSL service. This is where DSL Extreme’s true colors came out. My mom placed a cancellation order and in return was given a disconnect date. The cancellation date came, the connection was terminated (no internet service), but the service was still active. Of course as we know, you cannot order new service on a line that is still active. Many calls were made to resolve the cancellation, but without success.

After 2 weeks of being held hostage (service active, but no internet connection), my mom relented and once again signed up for the DSL Extreme service because she was promised it would be turned immediately. One day turned into a week and still no service. Finally, after a week, the service was active, but the equipment did not work. The service was changed from standard DSL to PPPOe, which is not what was signed up for. She was never able to get the new service to work.

Due to all the issues, another cancellation order was placed. After yet another delay, the service was finally disconnected and she was able to sign up for AT&T service. After all the crap, here’s the worse part; they are now pursuing a cancellation fee for service that never worked.

The ethics of DSL Extreme has gone down the proverbial toilet. This used to be a good company, but now I would recommend anyone looking at this company run away as fast as you can. If you’re looking for ethics, then look elsewhere. Their sales staff is just that, sales people. Once they have you committed to a contract, you are screwed and will regret it.

Our next step… my mom will have to pay the termination fee so it doesn’t go to collection and screw her credit, and then we will sue them in court.

Comments:

dslx_nick

Hello,

I'm sorry your mother has had some difficulty, but I'm afraid you're misrepresenting the facts somewhat.

Your mother placed a cancellation order on 5/28. A cancellation date was set for 6/4.

On 6/3, she called in to sign up service on a new account. She was advised then that if she didn't want to simply reconnect the previous service on her previous account, she would need to wait until after the current account was closed out before placing a new order - she agreed to call back in a couple days. On 6/5, she did call in, and the representative checking the account for her determined the service was indeed terminated, but line share wasn't quite cleared yet, so another day or so of waiting was needed for that to clear.

As your mother was planning on stopping by the office on Friday 6/7 to return the old modem, she decided to place the order then. She placed an order for a PPPoE 6Mbps connection for 12 months on a new account. An activation date was set for 6/11, and when your mother called in on 6/11 regarding when the service would be active, the representative checking the account confirmed that it should be working that day, and if she wasn't able to get online when she got home then she should call in to our tech support department.

Your mother called in later that afternoon 6/11, and our technician determined that the service was live but your mother's router was not saving the credentials. Your mother checked with you and you insisted on a DHCP connection, so the technician transferred the call to our sales department to change the order to a DHCP connection. The representative advised that she could change the order but that could introduce 0-4 days of downtime, and your mother agreed.

Then on 6/14 your mother called in to cancel the service on the new account. Since this breaks the annual contract, the standard early termination fee (which is actually charged us by AT&T and passed on to you) applies.

On 8/9 your mother called in claiming she had never placed a new order in the first place. One of our billing representatives pulled the recording from the first call on 6/11 (when your mother called in regarding when the service would be active), proving that your mother was fully aware of having placed the order (she even offered the representative the order number at the beginning of the call), and sent that recording to your mother so she could hear for herself.

Again, I'm sorry she had difficulty, but we did not 'hold the line hostage for 2 weeks', nor did we fail to activate the service, nor otherwise engage in unethical practice. We provided the service in good faith, but your mother's router was malfunctioning, so we made a change to the order to try to accommodate such per her request.
Expand your moderator at work
crdopp

join:2012-01-03
Oak Park, CA

Re: DSL Extreme

You and DSL Extreme are entitled to your opinions regarding the ethics of your company. Transcripts being provided by AT&T (our new provider) will prove being held hostage to your unethical tactics.

On the topic of AT&T and the early termination fee; once again your ethics come into question. In further discussions with AT&T, I learned that the termination fee you describe as fee charged by AT&T and being passed onto the consumer (your customers), is a bunch of crap. This is a fee solely imposed by DSL Extreme.

The whole process bears the question; why use a company like DSL Extreme, when for the same price (or less), the same services are offered directly from the telco, without contract.

I will not be posting or rebutting any comments you add to this thread. The conversation will continue in court to recoup the termination fee. Not only has this process ensured that we will never return as a customer, I hope it has provided information to potential customers, to look elsewhere for their service.

Review by uuufo See Profile

• Location: Lake Hughes,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Not Verizon, Generic Modem"
Bad "Money-Hungry Contract"
Overall "Will Never Use or Recommend Again"

Well, after all the troubles I had with Verizon, I was so happy to find out DSL Extreme offered a PPPOE service in my area. They offered up to a 7.1Mbps service, while Verizon would only give out 3Mbps in this area (I guess the CO was pretty much full). Got Signed up for the "Faster+" plan, 5Mbps, got some wiring issues sorted out after 2 trips over from the Verizon tech. Never got close to 5Mbps, always some kind of sync issue with the modem and when it was working couldn't even watch youtube 480p without buffering. After 6 months or so I decided to try a faster speed, maybe fix my issues. "Upgraded" to the 7.1Mbps service, same bad service, but lived with it for months (This area has literally no other options for internet besides dial-up or satellite). Now i know these issues were all caused by Verizon's hardware and overcrowded CO, so I never gave DSL Extreme a real hard time about it. Never asked for credit for all the down time and bad service. Paid my bill on time, every time. Now comes time to move, and DSL Extreme doesn't service my new address. No understanding, No compassion, No caring for their customer, must pay out the contract in full. Oh yeah, and return their pile of a modem or get charged for that. I understand a contract is a contract, but if they can't provide me service any longer, I think they should step up and be the great company everyone makes them out to be. The funny thing is, everyone hopes these small companies will be more human than Verizon and such, but I bet in the same situation, Verizon would have let me walk away without paying the $250. Never again.

Comments:

dslx_nick

DSL Extreme

I'm sorry you were having trouble with the connection, but I can assure you Verizon wouldn't have let you walk away without the $250 Early Termination Fee (ETF), because they're actually the ones imposing it in the first place. We resell Verizon service in your area, and if we break an annual contract with them, they require us to to pay a $250 ETF, which is what we pass on to you. We do not make profit on the ETF.

At any rate, while I'm sorry we were not able to provide you a better connection, I do hope you're able to get a better connection at your new address, and wish you the best with your next ISP.
uuufo

join:2013-08-20
Santa Clarita, CA

Re: DSL Extreme

Oh yeah, forgot to mention another important part: moving was so hectic, we continued to pay the service (auto-pay on a credit card) since April without using it at all. I forgot to contact you to cancel until I saw the charge on my statement this month. You could have applied that free money I gave you for 3.5 months to the ETF but refused. I think you are full of it, and do make money on the ETF whether you say so or not. It seems guys have the typical SFV/LA attitude of getting over on customers, and its really too bad.

Review by baumchen See Profile

• Location: San Diego,San Diego,CA
Bad "Bad"

Be careful when you need to move your service, they will put you in a new contract.

When I called them to argue, they claimed that I did it online and I had agreed to this term.

Will not use their service anymore.