DSL EXTREME page on DSLReports

Review by ctruong See Profile

• Location: Costa Mesa,Orange,CA
Good "Steady, Reliable, Fast Internet"
Bad "Slightly some invoices errors to watch out for"
Overall "Worth every penny for 12 months!"

I got this promotion deal when it first came out where the installation and fee was both waived. This saved me a lot over getting AT&T's U-verse (that is usually bundled with phone or TV that I did not want). The AT&T Tech came and installation was a breeze, although I felt bad since our attic is not really a regular attic and he must of had to crouch and work away around the wooden beams.

At first once I got the service up and working I was not as fully satisfied because I found out the Ping was shaky and the Internet would almost drop off everytime the microwave was on (a whole new issue with the close frequencies on the microwave affecting the WiFi's). But later after some effort I got a long Ethernet Cable and Phone Line that I could move it further into our house near the center. That definitely did the trick! My ping is as steady as if I was on DSL and had no other competition on the line. Furthermore, after testing out the microwave, I found that it had absolutely no effect on the WiFi. This is most likely due to the fact that originally our micro was right between the modem on one side of the house to our appliances on the other side. Since then, I have never gotten the internet dropped or anywhere close to problematic. The advertised speed was definitely accurate for my location, it is ranging right in the 17 Mbps of the 18 Mbps speed advertised.

The customer support on their site could use a bit of work as they try to contact you by phone if you have questions or issues, I am not always available by phone so it was a bit of an issue. I experienced some issues with extra and unknown charges to my account and card but after notifying the department they went to fix it. Sometimes my card was charged extra and I had to wait until the could process the money back to me. I found it best to communicate through IMs on this site (dslreports.com) as they are very fast at responding (usually 1-2 business days) and extremely helpful and understanding.

I am very satisfied with the service. It meets our family needs and completely beats our old DSL speed of 1.2 Mbps by AT&T.

member for 88 days, 49 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mad See Profile

• Location: US
Good "Good, steady reliable connection"
Overall "I'm happy"

I ordered the 12/1 package, I think that's what its called but actual speeds are 16/1.5.

Order and install was pretty smooth. The install took a bit longer, around 3.5 hours, but they said it could take up to 4 hours. They had to do some outside wiring repairs because a lot of hack jobs screwed it up over the years.

It comes with a Pace router/modem.

Once everything was set up, the speeds were consistent since the day of the install. I had the service a little over a month now and haven't had any problems.

I've been a customer since 2001, so you can see Dslextreme is a reliable company.

Comments:

Review by SmilingBob See Profile

• Location: League City,Galveston,TX
Good "Outstanding Customer Service, DSL without a land line (Verizon)"
Overall "Great alternative for anyone wanting solid DSL service"

We switched to DSL Extreme (DSLX) in 2013 since we were fed up with Cable. We had used Verizon DSL before without a land line, but new policies require phone service. I discovered DSLX by browsing the DSL Reports forums, went to their website, plugged in my address and bam. DSL service available, without a land line phone, using the Verizon network. DSLX and similar companies are Virtual Operators on a larger Telco network, with their own policies, billing, and did I mention no phone requirement (only in Verizon service areas I believe). Signup and installation were pain free. I was offered a free modem for service but did not need one as I still owned a modem from my Verizon DSL days which worked just fine. Speeds and reliability were every bit as good as my Verizon DSL experience, which makes sense as it is the same network. We currently have the 3Mbps / 768Kbps tier of service which is plenty fast to do everything we need, including streaming Netflix in 720p HD.

One of DSLX best features is their outstanding customer service. There were a couple of times where I needed help with service (one was a router problem, the other was upgrading the service tier for faster speed). Every time I have interacted with DSLX customer service, I have spoken to real people who are not outsourced, speak perfect english, and patiently go above and beyond to resolve whatever the issue may be. I cannot stress how good the experience has been in regards to the terrific people that work at DSLX who just hit it out of the park every time I've dealt with them. I think we get used to poor customer service, especially in the Telco and Cable industries, so this has been a breath of fresh air. Kudos to the whole team that makes it all work.

Bottom line - great service and reliability and DSL without a land line made it a no-brainer for my family. Highly recommended!

member for 1.1 years, 329 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by gagpatr See Profile

• Location: America
Good "TrueStream works faster than my old DSL"
Bad "Installation was very annoyning"
Overall "TrueStream works and is solid and faster than old DSL extreme."

I had DSL service from DSL Extreme (which used my ATT phone line) for several years.
Although I paid for service up to 3mbps, I averaged 2.4 or less.
When DSL Extreme announced TrueStream that uses fiber and does not need an ATT phone line, I wanted to jump to it.
DSLExtreme told me I had to use their modem/router box.
I told DSLExtreme that I had a high end router and wanted to use mine.
DSL Extreme told me no problem, when the technition installs the modem/router box, just tell him and he will turn off the new router and plug mine in.
DSL Extreme offered TrueStream to my house for up to 3mbps and we coordinate the installation by notifying me 30 minutes before the technition arrived at my home. So I ordered it.
Well without going into too much detail, DSL Extreme was completely out of the loop during the installation.
The Service technition was from ATT and he explained to me that TrueStream is really ATT's U-Verse.
The installation took 2 days because ATT never hooked the line from my house to a box a block away that provided the service. The man that came to my home was the "inside" guy and to hook up the line to the new service requried an "outside" guy. So, after the outside guy finish his job on day one, another inside guy came the next day and finished the connection.

I told the ATT Technition that I wanted to turn off the ATT router and use mine, he said NO CAN DO. ATT does not touch anything on 'myside' of the router.
Well the service was activated and to my plesant surprise I was getting 3.4mbps.
The price of the TrueStream was the same as my old DSL service but speed was better.
So far I'm happy that I made the jump to TrueStream.

I called DSL Extreme tech support about hooking up my router but they didn't know how and was suppose to have another person call me within 24 hours. So within the 24 hours I figured out how to connect my router. I decided to instead of using my router exclusively, I decided to Add my router to the network. It was simple and all I had to do was take the wire that went into the Old DSL modem and plug it into port 1 of the new router and change one setting in my old router to make it an Access Point (AP). Access to my old router IP changed to the ip of the first port of the new router, which can be found in the new router admin screen.

Well, around 20 hours after I placed a call to tech support about hooking up my router, I received a call from DSLExtreme Tech Support and this guy did not know how to hook it up either. He told me he has TrueStream in his house and he was going to hook up his CISCO router to the new router the next day. So, then I told him I figured it out. I told him to call me if he needs help. He also told me if he figures it out he would get back to me. That was 10 days ago and I never heard back from him.

The reason I wanted to have my old router as part of the network is because it has 2 USB ports that I have hard drives attached, the new router/modem has no USB ports.

So bottom line I'm happy with the service.
And in about a week or 2 I will cancel my ATT phone line, thank God.
DSL Extreme has some growing and learning to do but I still believe in them and would recommend this service to everyone.
Lower price than ATT, faster service than DSL and mostly good support.

Comments:

Review by AndyBW See Profile

• Location: Irvine,Orange,CA
Good "Value for money, Excellent support, Reliable, No data caps"
Overall "Would recommend DSLExtreme TrueStream"

I have been a long time DSL customer of DSLextreme and have been extremely happy with the quality and value of the service. The only issue was that I had to maintain a land with AT&T which was costing me more than $55 per month. I had been contemplating of switching to U-Verse or Cable modem so that I could drop the land-line but was reluctant to switch.

As soon as DSLextreme announce their TrueStream service which would allow me to drop my landline I ordered the 12M/1M package which was also great value compared to the equivalent AT&T U-Verse package. Free installation was also another incentive.

Initial install date was set for 2 weeks after I placed the order but there were a few hiccups on the AT&T side getting the service installed, it took 3 visits for them to sort line issues from the Fiber box to my NID, but DSLextreme were on top of working with AT&T, and re-scheduled follow up visits as quickly as possible to get me up and running.

The Pace 5031NV Gateway was installed and initially I had some concerns about the performance of a 2.4Ghz N only Router compared to the Dual Band N router I was currently using. But so far I have been pleasantly surprised, the signal strength at the far ends of my house is better than before and performance is good.

Update on the 5031NV Gateway, after streaming a few movies using an AppleTV and Xbox360 it performs very well, signal strength at this devices is higher and picture quality is better which is also due to 3X the Internet speed from before. The only negative thing is that the Ethernet ports are only 10/100 so transferring files from my network drive to my wired network attached desktop PC is not as fast as it could be, but this is not too big an issue. Bottom line is I see no reason to replace AT&T supplied router.

Very happy with the new TrueStream service and equipment.

Comments:

Review by Brian3527 See Profile

• Location: Riverside,Riverside,CA
Good "DSLExtreme is finally able to offer more than 6MB DSL with the introduction of trueSTREAM!"
Bad "Ordering process took almost a month in my case"
Overall "If you are stuck on DSL and want to join the 21st century and have true high speed internet, trueSTREAM is an excellent choice!"

·T-Mobile US
I have been stuck on 6Mbps for a number of years. I had two options for faster speed, either Charter or AT&T U-verse direct, but couldn't stand the thought of joining either due to their company policies and/or customer service. U-verse has been really trying hard to get me to join them. I get probably 2-3 pieces of advertising material from them a week.

I first saw a thread in the DSLExtreme forum that they were offering a new service called trueSTREAM. I thought could this actually be available to me? When DSLExtreme first starting offering Fusion, I also had hopes of actually getting a faster internet service. They were quickly dashed when I found out Fusion was only offered to a small group in the LA area and some other metro areas far away from me. It is also only offered direct from the CO, so if you are off an RT like me there is virtually no hope of that service ever being offered. Anyway after seeing the thread, I went to DSLX's site and checked the services available to my address and was quite surprised/pleased to see that trueSTREAM was available to me up to 45Mbps. I also took note that it was uncapped, had free installation and after a little digging I realized it was just re-branded AT&T U-verse. I thought about it for a few weeks, debated the cost, pros and cons etc., and went ahead and decided to order for the main reason of having faster speed for less money, after of course cancelling my AT&T land line. I was also growing tired of having my kids on YouTube and not being able to stream a movie at the same time without buffering issues. 6Mbps is just not practical anymore for today's internet needs.

One of my biggest concerns before ordering was what will happen after my year contract is up. Does the price go up with no option of locking in at a lower rate if I sign a contract for another year? After posting a message in the forum on this site regarding this matter, George the COO of DSLX, promptly replied that you simply go to a month to month rate at an undiscounted price, the discount being just under $15 on most of the packages. So pretty much after a year, during which if no alterations to my subscription are made, I can expect an increase of roughly $15. That will pretty much negate my savings of having trueSTREAM (first year @ $52) at my current speed (I chose the 18/1.5 plan) versus having both POTS and 6MEG DSL (about $68). If charging $6.50 for the modem/router wasn't part of my current pricing, I would still be saving a few dollars even after the increase in a year. After ordering I hear they now offer the modem/router for purchase at a price of $100 in lieu of the monthly rental fee, which would probably have made since in my case since I plan on keeping the service as long as the service remains as good as it has been initially. I figure I can drop my speed down to the 12Mbps package if I find the service is too pricey after a year or consider another option.

My only gripe of the service so far has been the ordering process. It took 28 days from my order date to the time my installer completed my install. I understand DSLExtreme is in a difficult position when they have to rely on AT&T's installation team to install their service, but good communication with customers when difficulties arise is essential. I grew worried when I hadn't received my confirmation email a few days before the date I selected as my first choice for installation. I started a thread in the DSLX forum and sent George an IM with my account info. He promptly replied that there was an issue with my local AT&T facility and they weren't able to provide DSLX an install date for my order. I wondered if DSLX would have even contacted me if I hadn't become concerned. About 5 days followed, all the time being in a period of limbo. I finally got my confirmation notice on the 7th of October after I initially ordered on the 22nd of September. Unfortunately, I had to wait for an install date on the 20th of October as AT&T was booked on the days I was available. I know this is a new process for DSLExtreme and that they are still ironing out the bugs so I am trying hard not to let this frustration affect my overall opinion of DSLX especially after 10 years of generally stellar service.

The installation was smooth sailing with a minor hiccup. The installer arrived a half hour early and found no service at my phone box. He had to call an outside installer to come an enable service. He ran some test from my inside phone jack to my outside phone box and said there should be no problem activating the service, once the outside connection is present. He left and came back in about an hour after the outside installer had arrived and completed my installation. He installed the Pace 5031NV router/modem and tested my connection from my desktop. All was good. And even with the outside line problem he was finished within my installation time window. He left his cell number and his supervisor's contact info and said to contact him directly with any connection problems inside a month. After he left, I placed the Pace in passthru as I want my dual band ASUS router doing the heavy lifting on my network, which did not affect my internet performance. Service has been excellent for the first week. No dropouts and speed tests consistently indicate an over provisioned speed of about 22Mbps down and 1.8Mbps up. Pings to the closest speed test servers give the same result as my DSL did at about 15ms.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Original DSL review:

Well after hearing the constant ads ($14.95/month) for DSLExtreme, I thought I would give them a try. I have been growing more and more unsatisfied with Charter Pipeline, the local cable provider in my area every day. With Charter its a whopping $30 a month for the cheapest package (386/128), and nothing but headaches. Anyway, I signed up online with DSLExtreme, and got the install package in two days. They sent me an email saying the connection would be active in one week from the order date, but I was live in just 4 days. There was one service outage but this was before my start date, so I can't ding them for that. A speed test usually comes in around 1200/310 kps, however on rare occasions my speeds are significantly lower for some reason.

UPDATE:

Well after a year DSLExtreme has been pretty much a great DSL provider in terms of service. The issues I had with line stability went away within a week after installation, and it has been pretty much smooth sailing.

UPDATE:

After 2 years of service I am glad I opted to stay with DSLX after the 1st year. I wasn't going to pay $21.95 for 1500/384 so I upgraded to 3000/512 for $24.95 for the 2nd year. Very stable, reliable service over the last year. Maybe only one brief outage that was on AT&T's side, if I remember right. Speed tests, line tests are always very clean. I just renewed for one more year, same speed at $2 less, $22.95. I debated 6 Meg for $32.95, but decided it would be a waste. Get DSLX!

Comments:

Review by pismodiver See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
Good "Fast, easy install; great speeds; good value; can finally ditch landline"
Bad "Nothing so far."
Overall "Happy that I could get faster service and not have to switch providers."

I've been a DSLX customer for probably close to 10 years total, in San Francisco and previously in Pismo Beach, CA.

My last upgrade was to the 6M/786K service, although I don't think I ever got better than 4M/600K in my present location. Also it seems that I was having to reset the (10 yo original) modem every couple of weeks, when it used to go for months without a problem.

I had been hoping for faster service, but I could not bring myself to go with cable, if for no other reason than I hate Comcast with the heat of a thousand white hot suns. So when I saw DSLX's twitter mention their new trueStream service, I knew this would be for me. I went with the 12/1 service, although I was eligible for the 45M service, because realistically, it would have been for bragging, not because I require that much bandwidth.

I got my 1st choice install time and the tech arrived right in the middle of the two hour window. After poking around the box for a few minutes, he discovered that something needed to be hooked up from the "box" about 90ft away, so another tech needed to be called. (I know nothing about telephone electronics, so pardon my lack of specifics.) This took about another 1.5 hours, but when the tech came back to my house, it took about 20 minutes for him to install the AT&T branded 5031NV gateway, and it was up and running. It was simple to log on to and change the SSID and PW, and the GUI is easy to use.

My first speed test showed 15M/1.5M, faster than what I paid for, yay! So for about $10 more, I have 3x the speed, and I can finally ditch my AT&T landline and save $40/month. I've been happy with DSLExtreme in the past, so I anticipate smooth sailing.

Comments:

Review by Kiedjor4 See Profile

• Location: Union City,Alameda,CA
Good "If Issues arise they will be there to help! Got higher speeds :)"
Bad "None I can think of.:)"
Overall "I ordered it and it arrived, horray!"

1.I ordered the trueSTREAM Max 12.0/1.0Mbps Dynamic IP Month Contract $37.95/mo.

2.Took about two hours to get install done, not long at all.

3.AT&T UVERSE Wifi modem.

4.When I first made the order and waited patiently to see what the date was. I contacted dslx_nick and dslx_gm on what install dates might be on DSLX forums. After little while figuring it out I received install date on 15th. Due to problem on my part I had incorrect address name on my order. But it was quickly resolved by contacting nick and gm about it. They work with me to see what another ideal date might be. So we decided on 17th (today) and it took about hour to two hours to get install process done.I want to say thank you to DSLX for awesome customer service! Thank you!

Comments:

Review by Yeloazndevil See Profile

• Location: Riverside,Riverside,CA
Good "Very good service and great support"
Bad "none at all"
Overall "One of the best"

I originally had dsl since 2007 and this past year the connection became unreliable and went down constantly. So around 2 weeks ago I went to dslextreme site and I saw truestream and decided to see if I could get it. I was surprised I could even get it since AT&T always said U-Verse wasn't available in my area.

I decided to get the 12/1 plan since it was a nice price, on the installation day the tech came on time within the time window and very courteous and explained everything to me. He had to run a new line since the wiring in my house is odd and it was showing 1000+ feet, at the phone box it was around 675 feet. It took the tech a little bit less than an hour for everything, but getting the connection up and running with at&t customer service took 2 hours. After that the connection was finally up and stable. I did a speedtest and I got 15.14Mb/s down and 1.86 Mb/s up with a 16ms ping and connection has been stable since installation.

The tech provided me with a Pace 5031 modem which I will eventually put into 'bridge' mode and use my own router since on the modem it takes forever to get to the firewall settings.

Overall it was a good experience and I am happy with the fast speeds and great support from dslextreme.

Comments:

Review by det427 See Profile

• Location: Santa Rosa,Sonoma,CA
Good "Great service and support!"
Bad "A little slow in getting upgraded to 6000 k/s service"
Overall "Great ISP!"

I saw the link to DSL Extreme 6000 k/s web page in a Sonic.net newsgroup (my old ISP).
The price was only $2.00 extra ($59.95 plus the Federal Universal Service Fund charge) for 4 times the speed!
The thing that convinced me to change was the "Lifetime Price Freeze".
Sonic and SBC has a price leader for one year then reverts to a higher price.
I want the price to remain the same!
I ordered on Jan. 15 and was seamlessly transferred with an ISP Change Order on Jan. 31 with no downtime!
I just put in my new static ip and was surfing the net.
The only problem was getting upgraded to the 6000 k/s service (was transferred at my original 1500 k/s).
It took a couple of calls and emails to get it going.
I figured since this was a promotion period it was pretty hectic for DSL Extreme.
I might have fallen through the cracks.
It took me three weeks to finally be upgraded.
The phone support varied from 15 - 45 minutes based on what time of day I called.
I learned about DSL Extreme having their own forum on BBR.
I learned how to use DSLX's forum to "instant message" (IM) support.
The forum is all I use now for support!
The support on DSLX's forum is excellent!
I did get upgraded to the 6000 k/s service a day earlier than what was on the Order Status Page.
I "IM"ed George, the GM of DSLX, to change my router profile from 1500 k/s to 6000k/s.
He changed it in less than 30 minutes!
Since I was at the 1500 k/s for three weeks I asked George if I could be prorated at the price of the 1500 k/s service.
He said no problem and was done in a matter of hours!
My speed is constant too!!
At Sonic my speed was all over the place (90 to 120 K/s)
Sonic thought the problem was at my end.
I just have one desktop computer, a SpeedStream 5360 DSL Bridge, and no router: nice and simple.
I did not know what the problem was until I came to DSLX.
I am on a Remote Terminal.
Toaster2K, a SBC tech, said when I transfer to a new ISP I get reprofiled and rerouted.
I found out that both the backbone provider, SBC and the ISP, DSLX, both have to profile me on their respective routers especially if I am on an RT.
Apparently, at the time, Sonic did not know to do this on their routers.
That is why my speed was all over the place.
Sonic has since corrected this.
DSLX already knew what to do.
My speed is rock solid at 5+ mbs down and ~520 k/s up!
I wanted to wait a few weeks to see if my speed would stay consistent before writing a review.
It has with no problems!
I would highly recommend DSLX to anyone and have done so myself!
Great job DSLX and thanks for solving my erratic speed problem!
det427

12-04-05
I downgraded my service to 1500/384 kbs dynamic connection a few months ago to save some money since I do not do a lot of downloading anymore.
It was a little slow for my taste.
I upgraded to 3000/512 kbs dynamic connection shortly after.
This throughput is just right for my habits.
DSLX had a problem with a Northern California router around a month ago.
On the first boot of the day my dsl bridge would not grab an IP.
I had to either reboot or do a command prompt to get a connection.
DSLX, through this forum, found out the problem in a timely manner.
I am thoroughly satisfied with the service and support.
I have recommended many people and will continue to do so.
Thanks, DSLX!

5-19-2006
I upgraded back to a static connection earlier this year. Sometimes the DHCP connection would take a while to connect. I guess I was spoiled to an instant connection! I was on the DHCP connection for less than a year. Since the price of a static connection was only a few dollars a part from the 3000 kbs to the 6000 kbs throughput I opted to go back to the 6000 kbs static connection I originally had. Just a few days ago, I upgraded my connection to the 6000/768 kbs static service. Thanks to a few outspoken DSLX forum members and DSLX's management listening to their customers the static price dropped $10.00 and the upload increased! Once again DSLX comes through again! Thanks DSLX!

6-23-2007
I was having trouble sending email through Outlook Express but could send it through web mail. I posted the problem on DSLX's Forum on a Sunday. I must have gotten "buried" under more important issues because I had to post a "what's up" a few days later. George, the GM, got involved and had it fixed it in a relatively short time. He stated it was probably the IP block wasn't properly configured in the mail server to relay mail. I appreciate the feedback. I also changed from a static ip to a dynamic ip via DHCP on a month to month basis with the same throughput (6016/768 kbs). I am trying to save a few dollars per month. So far, except for the recent Northern California outage, no problems. Thanks DSLX again!

1-04-2008
No problems, just chugging along! My only gripe is I wish AT&T would offer higher throughput to DSL Extreme. I found out I could get Uverse but with only a little higher upload it is not worth it since I get good customer support from DSLX!

5-02-2008
Still working great! AT&T Uverse has a 10 Mbps download now. I wish they would pass this along to DSLX!

8-04-2009
Everything smooth sailing! Just wish AT&T would share some Uverse bandwidth with DSLX!

5/21/2010
No problems or glitches! Come on AT&T let DSL Extreme sell your Uverse product!

1/15/2011
Just renewed for another year for $32.83 total! Price went down three dollars a month from last year. I thought about Uverse but having no problems with my 6 mbs connection I decided to stay with DSLX. Besides, I won't get anymore cards and letters from at&t anymore for Uverse; I would miss that!

4/6/2014
Still working great! DSLX said new options will be happening soon! Hope it is Uverse through DSLX!

10/4/2014
Well my dream came true yesterday: I have AT&T Uverse through DSLX!
I have the Power DSL: 45Mbs down, 6Mbs up. My actual throughput is 50Mbs down and 5.5Mbs up!
The install went smooth for both the installer and I.
I had a "homerun" telephone wire that I added back in 1997 as a second phone line so I would not miss calls on my voice line. The installer said that was good enough to install Uverse without need of a cat5 line. It took him less than an hour to get things going. the VRAD is only around 700-800 feet away at the end of the court where I live! After twelve hours I only have one FEC error! I always had a good DSL line. Looks like I am still lucky! A bonus is it comes with IPV6.
Since it is a dry loop I can drop my land line. The price for Uverse is almost the same price as my 6Mbs DSL/landline bills!
Thanks, DSLX!