InnerCite page on DSLReports

Review by mholm See Profile

• Location: North Highlands,Sacramento,CA
Good "None"
Bad "DSL slower than dial up !!! Zero customer service, zero tech support, Now 0 speed!"
Overall "Better off paying more, what good is cheep DSL if it doesn't work?"

March 1, 2001...In testing of speeds on my DSL have really hit a low. Last night I was unable to download at only 28K my old dial up modem was giving me a steady 52K.. what can one say about a dsl service that is slower than dial-up.

Ok taked to tech support on Sat (Feb 24, 2001) Previously they said I was capped by Pacbell/ASI at 384 because of packet loss on my line. When I called them after running several tests form the Packet loss test on this site. All the tests came out perfect.. ie NO PACKET Loss. So now tech support says that it is a "circut problem" and ASI will not take off the cap.. I smell a skunk..! Sounds like bs to me. I have never had so much problems with any product or service as I've had dealing with Pacbell & innercite DSL. This sucks!

I finally have my DSL back running on 20 Feb 01 (has not been working for 35 days!).
Problem: I can now only connect at 384 down/128 in theory but 2 tests showed a down speed of 52 (aka std modem speed for me) and a second showed 184 (3x modeum) This is high speed???????????????????? DSL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Actually this isn't Innercite's fault but Pacbell/ASI 's solution - to my conncection problems was to cap the down speed being sent to me (which was something they tried during the 1st two weeks I was down.. and did not fix the problem).
Now the modem works just fine.. I fault innercite for taking so long to fix the problem.. after all it took them 2+ weeks after I got the new modem to get me the software (just how long does it take to burm a CD? about 10 minutes max for the amount of data on the CD).
However Innercite now says that ASI is capping my speed and they can't do anything to help except request ASI take off the cap!~
(BTW I'm only 4000 ft from the CO and was getting 1536 down before this mess started! see the rest of the story below.)

I original ordered DSL from innercite the end of July 2000, due to lack
of connections available at the CO I did not get online until mid
October 2000.
From October to 15 january 2001 I was basically happy with the
connectivity as I was connecting at a download speed of 1,536.
However for some unexplainable reason I lost connection on 16 jan 01.
The software on the modem shows connection but no connectivity. The ISP
said it was Pacbell's fault. After having PacBell check the lines -
which took 2 weeks to accomplish, the phone line were deemed "clean".
Innercite then said it was a modem problem, they shipped me a new modem
(recieved on 2 Feb) but no software!
I called then on Feb 2nd and today (Feb 6) and they have failed to do
anything to resolve this problem.

I have called the company more 10 times in the last 3 weeks and all I
get is a answering machine. I have received a call back from their techs
only once in that time, the few other times they have called back I only
get a secretary.
They seem unwilling to help solve this issue. I prepaid for a year of
service and out of 17 weeks I have had the service I have been off line
for 3 weeks.
This is the worst customer service I've ever hand from any ISP, BTW I've
been on line since 1995.
I called tech support one more time at 7:00 am on 7 Feb 01 to try and reslove no service.
No call back yet ! What does it take to get service?
UPDATEFeb 9 - called them on Feb 7, no call back so I tried again today. Amazingly i was able to actually talk to somebody, 1st time this happened in the 20+ calls to the company. However They said they couldn't burn me a CD for my modeum until Monday! I asked why I couldn't just ftp it from them? I just got back a stony response they I had to wait until thier techs could burn me a cd on Monday.
That is toally CRAZY! NEVER, NEVER expect any level of service from this ISP!

Comments:

Review by kherron See Profile

• Location: Sacramento,Sacramento,CA
  • CLEC party: SBC
Good "It worked well while it worked"
Bad "Terrible tech support when service stopped working"
Overall "They didn't seem capable of supporting DSL"

My experience mirrors mholm's. When I ordered the service I was initially told my area was in a "no ports" state. I let the order stand, figuring I'd get the same from any other DSL provider. A few months passed...

Service was installed Aug. 31. It worked *great* for a month. Static IP, no dang PPPoE, fast, reliable, no service interruptions (I never used the email account or news server, so I can't say how well that stuff is supported). Then around Oct. 1st I discovered it wasn't working. The modem's status lights were all good, but no traffic was coming in. I dismantled my little NAT'ed home network (I do tcp/ip networking for a living), plugged the modem directly into a windoze box, reconfigured the windows box, verified it *still* wasn't working, and called tech support.

It seems Innercite doesn't have a telephone queue. If tech support is busy, you're routed to voice mail with a promise to call you back. I left a message, and half an hour later they called back. The fellow wanted to check my PC's IP address, netmask, etc. so I humored him. He couldn't find anything wrong--other than my default DNS domain which he insisted I change despite my commenting that it wasn't the problem--and eventually said that they'd have Pacbell check the line the next day.

Next day while at work I got a call from Innercite. Pacbell had checked the line and found nothing wrong, so he wanted to have a tech call me at home and do some further troubleshooting. Okay, no problem. That evening, a tech called me and...wanted to check my PC's IP address etc. again. Protests that we'd done that last night did no good, so we checked them again (including the default DNS domain, sigh), and again no problems were found, so he said they'd have Pacbell check the line tomorrow. Hmm.

Meanwhile I did some testing of my own. Couldn't ping the default router, couldn't ping any other IP addresses on my subnet, and when I dialed into my office LAN and pinged my DSL IP address, the activity light on the DSL modem didn't flicker. The problem was definitely upstream of me.

Pacbell came, replaced the dsl modem for the heck of it, and tested the line. I think the tester concluded there was something wrong with the line. That evening I think I talked to tech support again; they wanted to check my PC's settings again, which I wasn't too inclined to cooperate with. At one point I described my test of dialing into a computer at work and pinging my DSL IP from there, but he had difficulty understanding what that would prove. How could I see my DSL modem's light while I was at the office? The rest of that call was not productive.

Next day PB called to say the tester had done something wrong so another person would have to come out. This tester replaced the dsl modem again, tested the line backwards & forwards, checked my computer, and finally said he'd bet money the problem was with innercite. Unfortunately he couldn't reach innercite while he was here, so he couldn't coordinate testing with them.

I gave Innercite a day or so to work on things, but when I didn't hear anything I started trying to call them. I called tech support a couple of times without getting a callback. Finally around day 12 I decided enough was enough, called billing, and said I wanted to cancel my account. The woman promised that someone would look into the problem and call me back; I was still hoping they could turn the service back on, so I relented. Well, nobody called me back.

Next day, I called billing again and said the same thing. I was told I'd get a callback. No callback, but I got a message from the person who was supposed to call me, asking for patience.

Day 14, called tech support, got voice mail, and demanded someone call me back with the status of my problem. Someon eventually called back to say Pacbell had decided there was something wrong with the circuit, that it'd have to be rebuilt from scratch, and that it'd take a month. This answer wasn't satisfying--which circuit? What was wrong with it? Why did it work for a month and then quit? Why did it take so long to diagnose? Why so long to repair? The person couldn't give any more detail.

I said I wanted to cancel the service. Innercite agreed on the spot, including refund of all fees.

A month passes. I amuse myself by occasionally turning on the dsl modem and verifying the service didn't mysteriously fix itself. The credit card bill comes and hm, no refund. I call the CC company and nope, no record of a refund, but they'll happily put the charge in dispute for me.

I call Innercite. Yup, the credit was never applied, but she does it while I'm waiting. She can't explain why it wasn't applied the first time.

Months pass. In early January I get email saying they want their DSL modem back; should they send me a box to ship it in, or should they send someone to get it? I respond that either one is fine with me; I can take out the NIC and package everything up. No response, and no box. A few weeks later I get a phone call from a woman again wanting the modem back. Again I say they can send me a box or come pick it up. She says they'll send a box. It hasn't arrived yet.

To be fair, the original delay in installing the line was Pacbell's problem, and the line failure & long time to repair could have been pacbell again. Innercite's problem was their inability to get the problem resolved and their lack of communication. They wasted time getting the problem diagnosed, they didn't keep me informed of the status, and the tech support staff was obviously just following scripts with no real understanding of how this stuff works. The part about leaving voice mail was surprisingly frustrating. Every time I left a message I was evisioning them playing it back, saying "oh, it's HIM again, I don't know what to tell him" and ignoring the message, and in fact as the days went on they did become pretty bad about returning messages.

Comments:

Review by DLoeffler See Profile

• Location: Sacramento,Sacramento,CA
  • Telco party SBC
Good "cheap, generally reliable"
Bad "difficult to reach tecnical specialists"
Overall "So-so DSL provider"

I've had Innercite's service for two months now. Was down almost a week and found it absolutely impossible to get anyone to return my call. If you ever experience problems with them, be prepared to leave messages. When someone did finally call, she was very nice but I'm still skeptical of their service. Especially if I ever have a problem again and need assistance. In addition, they still haven't billed me yet and their speed hasn't always been what they "promised" (they don't gaurantee speed like PacBell). However, it's fairly cheap and installation wasn't a problem.

Comments:

Review by santinoz See Profile

• Location: Sacramento,Sacramento,CA
Good "Best price you'll find in the Sacramento area, period."
Bad "The tech support calls you back when convient for them."
Overall "Unbeatable price for dsl, as long as your computer don't have any problems."

It all started with awe and disbelief. DSL (384 down/ 128 up) for only $29.95 a month plus free installation and equipment. I thought it might be a scam considering Pacfic Bell had it a $39.99 and at that point was the lowest in the area. So I called the Better Business Bureau to make sure this was a legimate business. I found out that it was Sacramento's oldest ISP's. So I decided to call the number to see the catch. The only catch was that you must pay it all up front and be elgible to recieve DSL. I told the lady in charge of sales, Debbie Starling, my location. I was emailed by the Debbie saying I was elgible. I was estatic. I was set for installion on the 15th of April. Just 2 weeks from when I called. So the Pacific Bell installation guy came. He was nice but obviously didn't know much other than basic setup. The reason I say that is that my computer was not responding to the ethernet card. This puzzled him. So eventally, I decided to step up. I installed the manual way instead of waiting for plug and play to appear. It was connected but not without a hitch. The dsl was working but going very, very slow. I'm talking 6.6kbs download speed. I asked him to fix it, he told me to call my ISp to help, saying, "I've done my job, BYE". So I called InnerCite. They said they'd have tech support call back. They never did call. When I got the time, I called the following Monday. I was furious that they stood me up. They said they'd call me. They call saying, what's up. I tell them, then they inform me that they are dial up tech support. I finally got a response from a "dsl expert". He asked what my speed was. I said about 60k, he said, let's test. I download a file from some website, he says wow, it is slow. He puts on a "trouble ticket" and says bye. Pacfic Bell shows up Saturday without notice, and sends in this guy. Checks everything out and says, well, its your computer, I can fix it for $25 per 1/4 hour. I decline. I got my friend to reformat my hard drive, and the dsl worked. Now,I'm getting a blazing fast 1.4 mbs per second even though the speed I signed up for was a static 384/128. To top it off, I'm over 2 miles from the Central Office.

Santino Z.