CapeCom Inc page on DSLReports

Review by mrrock See Profile

• Location: Acton,Middlesex,MA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Good customer communication, smooth install, friendly phone support"
Bad "C/S line often busy but will take message and call back; closes at 7pm."
Overall "Satisfied customer"

September '05, coming up on 1 year with C.C. and no complaints. It's been nearly flawless. The only outage I remember in the eleven months was a DNS fault which C.C customer service acknowledged and said they were working with their upstream provider to fix. It was, in about 10 minutes. The speeds have consistently been as promised or better. I had one equipment malfunction that was entirely my fault, but they helped me out with a replacement part with no hassle whatever. To answer another poster's question, Verizon's customer service tried to steal me away and asked why I'd pay more to somebody else. I was thought, but didn't say, "Because you're the phone company - that's why!", but to put it less crudely, I've had great service with Cape.com and no reason to expect V. to do as well.

-------

October '04, another cable-refugee. When I had inquired about DSL earlier, Cape.com told me my line would qualify but that Verizon would have to condition it for DSL and would probably push the order back a couple of times, and might end up cancelling it anywy. But they assured me that if I still wanted to place an order they would keep me informed, whatever happened. So when I did order service a few weeks later, I didn't get my hopes too high.

Verizon did push the date back, once, 4 days beyond CC's initial 2 week estimate (and true to their word, CC notified me right away), but surprised both of us by actually going ahead and turning on DSL when they said they would. CC over-nighted a Westell modem to me which arrived the day before the new start-up date, and they got me up and running that evening.

The start-up kit was a brief packet but with all the information I needed to set up the ethernet connection and bring up DSL -- and without having to install a CD-full of unknown stuff all over my machine, which I appreciated.

The service is on a static, but private, IP. No contract but with a 12-month "incentive": $60 and return of the modem (which I keep otherwise) for cancelling before 12 months. I have 768/128 and get speeds of about 743/133 (for number-heads, that's 3% under and 4% over, respectively).

I chose Cape.com based on reviews here and because they're (almost) local.

My service has been live for a little over a week and in that time, the reliability has been excellent. I've had no cause to regret my choice and I'd recommend them.

Comments:

Review by dnepveu See Profile

• Location: Tewksbury,Middlesex,MA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Technical Support personnel are Very responsive to questions and problems, and very knowledgeable.."
Bad "Periodic outages for several minutes at a time occur at least once a day at random times. Possibly the fault of their colo host."
Overall "Mostly very satisfied"

I have been with cape.com for two years now. I left the local cable company's broadband service because it was not 1.5mbps at peak times during the day (after school and after work hours). My connection would slow to a crawl; it was slower than dial-up. So, even though DSL was "slower", it was a reliable 768/128.

My order was placed, and I was given a lead time of 7-10 working days for Verizon to get me hooked up. It was only 4 days, and it worked right immediately. I had no trouble making my very basic Linksys router work with the Westell DSL modem that they sold me.

Recently, I upgraded to the now-available 1.5mbps/128kbps service for a one-time charge of $60. I have noticed an improvement in downloads from certain sites (of course, slower hosts will still be slower downstream).

Lately (the past few months) I have been experiencing periodic outages (since before the line upgrade). They last for up to 5 minutes each, and they occur once or twice daily. They occur at random times. It could be noon, or midnight, or any time in between. The outage is directly between my DSL modem and the next hop, cape.com's gateway server. While they have not yet determined what the problem is, they have been working diligently to help me troubleshoot it. They sent me a new DSL modem with diagnostic capabilities to allow them to work on the problem direclty from their end.

My suspicion is that it is the router on their end. It is hosted at Global NAPS, in Quincy, MA. My company had its (mission-critical) ASP anti-spam and anti-virus servers at Global NAPS for several months. We removed them when we analyzed our overall uptime statistics and determined that we were down for a total of over 8 hours in 6 months. My company's outages during our "stay" at Global NAPS were very much the same as the ones i experience now. I hope cape.com steps up to the plate and makes Global NAPS rectify the problem.

Overall, I could not be more pleased with cape.com. I have recommended them to friends and business acquaintances. I will continue to do so. They are a reputable ISP, and they only promise what they can deliver.

Comments:

Review by wirwzd See Profile

• Location: Leominster,Worcester,MA
  • CLEC party: Verizon
Good "Excellent support!"

Cape.com was a godsend while transitioning from DirecTV DSL. The excllent support/sales staff has been helpful at every step of the way. So far the speeds are excellent and the DSL was activated before the promised date. If you are looking for a fixed ip address in the eastern MA area, Cape.com s a little more pricey than DirecTV was, but the service end of things makes up the difference.

Comments:

Review by K1JL See Profile

• Location: Sandwich,Barnstable,MA
  • CLEC party: Verizon
Good "AWSOME"

I'VE BEEN WITH CAPE.COM FOR JUST ABOUT A YEAR. THE SERVICE HAS BEEN TOP
NOTCH IN EVERY WAY. THE FEW TIMES I'VE NEEDED TO CONTACT THE SERVICE
STAFF THEY HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFUL.
VERY HAPPY WITH MY EXPERIENCE AND RECOMMEND THEM TO ALL WHO WISH DSL IN
THEIR SERVICE AREA.

JERRY SELBY

Comments:

Review by bfulks328 See Profile

• Location: North Chatham,Barnstable,MA
Good "Great service"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "I would recommend them."

I would like to report great DSL service from Cape.com.

I first signed up with Verizon in October. They sent all the equipment
but as of December the service still doesn't work. I must have made 20
phone calls and talked with lots of very nice people who basically said
the problem was in "someone else's department".

So I called Cape.com in mid December. A very knowledable support person
called me back and explained the service. I signed up and got the
equipment and installation instructions within a few days. They said the
service would be turned on December 31.

On December 31, I tried the service and it worked flawlessly, even
without any help from their tech support. I just tried it and it worked
first time.

There is still a benefit from dealing with small local companies...

Bob Fulks

Comments:

Review by frednova See Profile

• Location: Gardner,Worcester,MA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Knowledgeable salespeople, quick setup."
Bad "Twice the price of the competition, have to purchase equipment."
Overall "The only choice here if you want a static IP and no PPPoE software."

UPDATE 04/16/01 - Just wanted to update my review now that I've been up on cape.com for awhile. So far so good with this provider. There has been one outage so far and it lasted about 2 hours (not sure if the source of the problem was cape.com or verizon). The speed at times is 600 or greater but generall hovers between 400 and 500 which to me is acceptable. I really don't know how support is because I've only called them once when that outage occurred. I never got through (on hold for about 15 minutes before giving up) which leads me to believe everyone was down at that time and was trying to call. From what I hear of verizon from others in my area I made the right decision going with this provider instead.

ORIGINAL POST:

I heard the horror stories of Verizon so I wanted to avoid them if at all possible. I first signed up with Telerama (cheaper than cape.com) but they couldn't service MA yet. I found this out after waiting 3 weeks for my activation. The only other options open to me were Telocity, Cape.com and Verizon. After reading Telocity's reviews I decided to steer clear of them as well as Verizon so I called Cape.com.

The salespeople were knowledgeable (actually sounded like a tech on the phone) and told me what my options were for service. In order to get a public IP address I had to go with their SOHO plan which is why the cost was so high (A non routeable private IP is $56 dollars a month where SOHO is $84). Also had to purchase my own Modem (fortunately used ADSL modems are all over ebay). I signed up for service Feb 21, was emailed a confirmation of order and install date of 3/19 two days later. About a week later I received my install packet containing my IP address and other setup information and the filters. The modem I purchased off ebay arrived today 3/12. I hooked it up and am up and running a full week early. Speed is running at only about 400 Kbps which is less than I had expected. Hopefully it improves. Outbound speed is as with Verizon (about 90-100Kbps).

• Location: Barnstable,Barnstable,MA
Good "as good as great fried chicken"

hi,

i just got dsl through cape.com, whose dial-up services i had been using
with a 56k modem. the speed is lightning-fast and, as always,
the technical support is first-rate. i'm very pleased.

thanks

(review was emailed from domain cape.com)

• Location: Barnstable,Barnstable,MA

My business contracted to have Cape.Com provide DSL service
to its facility beginning in December of 2000. The experience in
installing the DSL service was easy and without any problems. Cape.Com
staff were very friendly, thorough, and expedient in all matters
relative to my research on the DSL service, and remained so throughout
the installation process. The waiting period for the service to be
available was less than a month.

I selected Cape.Com as our ISP because they were attentive, thorough,
and price competitive. Since I selected Cape.Com as our vendor, many of
the other DSL providers in the Cape Cod area have ceased to provide
service. To my knowledge, Cape.Com and Verizon are now the only
providers in the Cape Cod area.

Cape.Com is a vendor that provides hassle-free service. There may have
been three sporadic outages over the first three months, but all were
due to problems with Verizon's backbone to the DSL service. All outages
were only a few hours in length. Cape.Com kept me informed as to where
the problem was coming from and what the prognosis would probably be.

I have had experience using other vendors on Cape Cod for different
kinds of high speed dedicated access technologies, such as T1s.
Cape.Com's service, support, and problem resolution are far superior to
any other vendor and/or technology I have encountered in the Cape Cod
area.

(review was emailed from domain capecodcommission.org)