Cloud 9 Internet page on DSLReports

Review by ExecPro See Profile

• Location: Long Beach,Nassau,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Fast Speed, Free Static IPs, Great Tech Support"
Bad "Expensive"
Overall "For low level servers, you can't beat DSL!"

I have been using Cloud 9 for about 2 yeasr now, and they have been great. I started off with a 368/368 connection that was rock solid. Over about 18 months, it went down twice, and even then 1 time was my fault. I used this to host 2 servers with several websites on each and never had complaints about my customers being able to access the websites.

Now, in my new office I have their 3000/768 connection, which after some ironing out, is just as solid as the slower speed. I rarely see reductions in speed and it doesn't matter what time of day it is to get the full bandwidth I pay for. Whenever I do have a problem, tech support is there and picks up right away almost every time.

Best of all, their TOS is limited, so you can use your bandwidth for whatever you want! They don't limit you sharing the connection with other people or even using it for a Hot Spot! See if OOL will let you do that!

Thanks for years of wonderful service!

member for 12.5 years, 2226 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by smike3 See Profile

• Location: Katonah,Westchester,NY
  • CLEC party: Verizon
Good "Reliable service, real people with a clue on the other end of the line"
Bad "Email-only invoices, Automatic account lockout if you forget to pay"
Overall "Reliable, somewhat pricey - should get more of a human touch for that $$$"

I decided to update my review today, since I'm feeling a bit put-upon by Cloud 9 today. ;p

I went to check email this morning only to discover that my Cloud 9 ADSL line was down. After a bit of tinkering, I couldn't figure it out, so I called service. Turns-out my account was locked for non-payment. Oops. The thing that kills me is that no-one called me to say, "Mike - if you don't pay-up, we're gonna lock you out." Apparently I got an email warning several weeks prior to the due date, but I can't find it in my inbox. I'm sure they sent it, but I think a phone call might have been nice prior to locking-me-out and messing with my business. Heck- I've been a loyal customer for years - doesn't that count for something? Apparently not. Suddenly the small guys with the personal touch seem to be lacking in that area.

That said, service *has* been reliable, and people do answer the phone there, but after this I decided to explore my options- because I'm pissed. Here's what I see so far:

AceDSL - $11 cheaper for SDSL - I may give them a call

Pilosoft - $10 cheaper for SDSL - ditto

Business Optimum Online - this looks interesting. Looks like it's $10 less for a whole lot more bandwidth. I'm keeping my fingers crossed while I wait for the sales guy to call. If this works out, I'll be psyched - because I'd have to pay a heck of a lot more for this kind of bandwidth with my current provider.

Speakeasy - Still not available in Katonah. Dang! I've heard great things about them, and the price is good if you choose wisely. Guess I'll have to wait though.

I'll update this post when I hear back from Optimum Online. Up to this point I was happy to pay extra for the personal touch, but now I'm not feeling the love so much, so I figure it's worth a look.

-Mike

----My Original Review from Early 2002 (I think)----
I signed-up just before X-Mas of 2001 and was up and running within 10 business days (pretty good as DSL goes). I was able to use my leftover Westell DSL modem from my previous service which saved me some equipment charges. So far they've been very helpful when I have questions. The service has been pretty reliable so far. I would have just done everything over my cable modem for a lot less, but Optimum seems to be blocking port 80, so this was the logical choice for Web services as well as a backup line. I wish they didn't force the use of PPPoE, but I assume Verizon forces that on them.

Comments:

Review by kamm See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Always promised, top speed, flawless networking!"
Bad "Nothing serious: billing system sometimes fuzzy if you switching to company checks"
Overall "C9 rocks - fixed IP, fixed speed, fixed promises and services!!!"

UPDATED
I'm with Cloud9 since January of 2002: I remember, I was online (768/128) 2-3 days after my phone order (I had my own DSL modem). During this 2 years I've had only one technical problems approx a year ago, caused by a stupid Verizon technician who worked on something else in the buliding - I called C9, I got it fixed within 24 hours. BTW, when I raised my speed to current 1500/384 ($100/month), it takes almost a week but that's actually reasonable, even though this switching time seems pretty weird (why does it take about a week...?)
I ALWAYS got the promised speed, NO DROPOUT, no anything. At the blackout, when power came back, my connection became alive also.
No support on weekends - I don't care but it's not too lucky if you are reinstalling your PC and you aren't too familiar with basic networking, though.

UPDATE: I was wrong on weekend support - in fact, they DO have weekend support, between 12-6.

Billing sometimes made me crazy: when I changed my payment from CC to my business account, I couldn't pay by eCheck, I had to send written checks by mail, every 3 months. If your payment belated, you've got only few days to fix it otherwise you can't login to your mail, sometimes even connect.

They give you fixed IP and if you need multiple IP, it costs only $10 extra.
If you live within certain CO-distance (5000 feet, I believe) you can even get 7Mbit downlink for $200 (up will be 768, IIRC).
They now offer 1500/128 for $50 only - probably that's the most popular package.

Summa summarum: big A+, really RELIABLE, ALWAYS FULL SPEED SERVICE - VERY-VERY RECOMMENDED if you looking for something RELIABLE, full speed networking!

Comments:

Review by HomeHosting2 See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Static IP, no contracts, fast startup, superb customer/tech support, low pings, bandwidth as advertised"
Bad "even though static IP still use PPPoE (invisble as it's handled by Linksys)"
Overall "Goodbye AceDSL - I'm flying in Cloud9 now :) Great for webserver - best DSL provider in NYC!"

---- UPDATE 06/14/03 -----
Well, it has been 18 months that I'm with Cloud9, and though it was time to update my review. The service has been superb - absolutely no downtime, and you always get the bandwidth that you pay for. I had to call support only once when there was a problem with my modem, and the guys are quick to answer the phone and are very knowledgable. I just learned that Cloud9 switched their main plan from 768/128Kbps to 1500/128Kbps (as their website says: available only on lines less than 12000 feet from the central office.) This change is not automatic, and I had to actually call and request the upgrade, which took 4 days. Here is my latest speed test: 1495 / 79 (for some reason my upload rate is ~30kbps less than what it was when I originally got my service) In conclusion, I recommend Cloud9 to everyone who needs a static IP.

Other Notes:
I learned about a killer deal via Worldcom/MCI 1500k/768k ADSL with Static IP through companies such as »www.britsys.com/ or »www.cyberonic.com/int-for-home.shtml for $50/month (or less). Amazing speeds, but unfortunatly its not available to me as my CO does not have the required equiptment. DANG! But do look into it...

I'm thinking about more upload bandwidth, so started looking at providers that offer ADSL with high upload rate and a static IP... since I'm only concerned about the upload rate here are the prices:
Cloud9
1500/128 for $50/month
1500/384 for $110/month
768/768 for $160/month
7100/768 for $200/month

Other options if you want high upload rate (and static if worldcom is not available to you):
Covad
1500/384 for $70/month - cheapest price for that bandwidth
Speakeasy
1500/384 for $90/month
1500/768 for $100/month - cheapest price for that bandwidth, via Covad

I just wish that Cloud9 offered the 1500/384 package for same price as Covad, because I think this will be the reason that I soon will need to leave.

Here is some other info for users who just started on a Broadband search:
If you just use the internet and need a fast connection for home use (no static ip, no reliability) if cable is available go with it (ie OptOnline is great... 4-5mbits down, 1up... but not for webservers or such). If cable is not available and you don't care about static IP and reliability, go with Verizon $35/month. If you just need a STATIC ip and ability to run a webserver see Cloud9 starting $50/month with no contracts... very reliable. If you want more upload badnwidth and care about the price see above.

- ILYA

-----------------------------------
PREVIOUS UPDATES:

---- UPDATE 02/02/02 -----
Well, it has now been two months that I had my Cloud9 DSL Line up and running, and I decided to update my review. The service is superb. During the entire time, I had my sync light turn off only once for about 2 minutes. That's 99.99% uptime. I remember those days with AceDSL - what a pain in the ass. Adrian said it best "It's like day and night". People on AceDSL forum were saying how DSL cannot be reliable as T1 line; boy were they wrong. I was certain that the problem was not with the DSL technology, but with the company.
Cloud9 is great. Low ping times, full bandwidth and great tech support (I didn't have to speak to anyone since I got my line up and running). I have referred two friends to Cloud9 - [apparently there is a referral bonus of $30, which I did not know about and which is not advertised anywhere, ask cloud9]
--------------------------------

I'm coming from AceDSL. This experience was completely sour. I made a mistake by going with that company. As a result I had to switch after only 3 weeks, and had to have 2 weeks of downtime during the switching process. Both companies offer the same deal: static IP with no contracts and exact speeds. My stay with AceDSL was a disaster. They had major bandwidth problems esp. during business hours when the speed dropped below 300kbps (on my 1600/384 line).
A lot of us switched from Ace to Cloud9. (See AdrianD's review) Enough with AceDSL now (if anyone wants to see my previous review of AceDSL see »Review of ACE Innovative Networks by HomeHosting)... My 7 day experience with Cloud9 has been superb!

For the first month I ordered the starter package of 768/128, and will increase the speed next month. For now no downtime at all. The switch was a bit too long (14 days) because of some screw ups with Verizon. I had all the equiptment from previous dsl (Linksys Router and SpeedStream 5260 Modem) PPPoE is done via the linksys so I do not have to worry about anything else. Linksys also does port forwarding for webservices etc.The people at Cloud9 are spectacuar. They call on you to check if you're up and running. They actully know what they are talking about and are very frindly. Thanks Mike for your attention. From my experience, they also follow these DSLR forums and respond instantly. This is the way that DSL bussiness should be done THUMBS UP Cloud9!

Current line speed:
Test running..........
** Speed 703(down)/115(up) kbps **
(At least 14 times faster than a 56k modem)
Logging result
Finish.

My experience with Cloud9 is great. I highly recommend them to anyone. If you need a static IP, and you're in a NY area - go with Cloud9. Even if you don't need a static IP, but want to avoid a headache of Verizon Online - go with Clouud9 for the same price.

Best Regards,
Ilya Zatulovskiy

member for 13 years, 80 visits, last login: 11 years ago

Comments:

Review by thciii7 See Profile

• Location: South Salem,Westchester,NY
  • CLEC party: Verizon

Reliable service and teriffic support

member for 13.7 years, 113 visits, last login: 8.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by technik8 See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
  • CLEC party: Verizon
Good "Fast, static IP, good TOS. Knowledgeable people, fast support response."
Bad "PPPoE (but still not bad)"
Overall "Excellent- not cheap, but they know what they're doing. Still good a year later."

A friend recommended Cloud9 to me after I had problems with my old dial-up provider (the POP provider changed their service). I checked them out and looked for signs of sloppy admins like lame DNS delegation, eggdrop bots, broken website, no ssh, no ssl IMAP, unsafe webmail, bad permissions on directories accessible to shell accounts etc. but found _none_. I spent a few months on dial-up to get a feel for how they would treat a new customer on a low profit margin account. The answer is, "Great!" They reply within hours to email and the people staffing their phones seem very good. They aren't upset (or surprised) by my using OpenBSD and Linux. Both on dialup and now on DSL support has been responsive to my questions and I have not felt like just another anonymous user.

I signed up for 1500/384 for multiple computers (static IP, router, 11 mailboxes,use of dial-up when on the road, etc.) and opted for the self-installation. They require that you fill out and fax the request form but it does not slow the process. It did take an extra two weeks because Verizon sent a technician unannounced and without scheduling an appointment to switch my line off fiber to a copper line. I contacted Cloud9 by email and they got back to me that day. I called and made the arrangements for the Verizon visit and from then on it was smooth. The Zyxel Prestige 600 router (aside, I was hoping for the 645 model with the serial console port but this is quite adequate) arrived preconfigured a few days later and I plugged it in. Speeds are excellent and PPPoE is handled by the Zyxel.

They are not the least expensive option but there aren't any surprises. There is no annual contract and billing is monthly. I feel that they are charging an appropriate amount for the service. The Terms of Service are among the best I've read (pretty much don't do anything illegal and don't abuse the system) with little legalese and that weighed heavily in Cloud9's favor. The router cost me $200 direct from them. Could I have purchased one elsewhere for less? Probably. Are they making a markup on it? Maybe but at $100 less than list, given that they still set it up and tested it before shipping, they didn't make much.

3/17 - No problems. Great service.

4/10/2003 -- Service is still great and speed are what I expect. I'm a happy customer.

Comments:

Review by AdrianD See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
  • CLEC party: Verizon
Good "reliable speeds, low price, static IP, good tech support"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "highly recommended"

i will miss Cloud9. roadrunner finally made it to my neighborhood and i switched to one of their TV/Internet packages. i enjoyed cloud9 dsl service for many months. a bit about my experience with them:

the speed:
i had 1500/384kbs service from cloud9 and never NEVER dropped below this speed. low pings all the time.

IP address:
i got a static IP address which i could use for whatever i wanted to. i had a small password protected FTP server which allowed me to fetch work files from home when i needed to.

customer support:
i barely needed them since i never had technical issues except ONE service interruption caused by verizon "darkening" the entire neighborhood. support picks up the phone right away and is extremly friendly and knowledgable.
Cloud9s "barebone" web site was upgraded during the months i was with them and now offers great features regarding tech support, billing etc.

price:
$100 for 1500/384 may seem a bit bit high to you if you look at offers of other ISPs. i was with other dsl providers before and had to switch because of the demise of several sdsl providers (and acedsl, they plain s**k). given the ultra-reliable line speed, friendly and responsive customer support and the low pings, the price is quite okay.

overall:
i use my new cable service at home. if i would have to order internet service for my small business or would depend on internet service because i work at home i would order from cloud9 - no other provider was able to provide service at this level!

PS
... i kind of hope that roadrunner screws up, so i have an excuse to spend the extra $s to get my cloud9 line back

best,

adrian

member for 14.6 years, 748 visits, last login: 10.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by apapp See Profile

• Location: Astoria,Queens,NY
Good "nice people"
Bad "SSSS-L-O-WWWWWWWWWWWWW!"
Overall "It seems cloud9 was a mistake"

Signed up, went well. Service is supposed to be 768/128. PPPOE, static IP. D/l was close to advertised speed intially. it gradually got slower and slower. One day it was so slow that I got suspicious and did a speed test here at DSLreports: the D/l speed as 26. TWENTY-SIX kbps!!! The next day 81. I wrote and complained. They wrote back that they see 5 MAC addresses on my end, that may be the problem. Blame the customer first, right? I doubted it but I disconnected my printers and Airport from the hub and restarted everything: recheck: still 81 kbps. Wrote back again, they did something, speed went back up to 718. It lasted for 1-2 days only, now it is down to 231. Upload speed is always close to 128. So is this going to be like this all the time? I have to write to them twice a week: please do something about my speed?

Comments:

Review by mkrauss123 See Profile

• Location: Mount Vernon,Westchester,NY
  • CLEC party: Verizon
Good "Virtually seemless cut-over from directvdsl like 1/2 day down time"
Bad "I ...occasionally... get lag spikes when playing my favorite MMORPG don't know if it is their fault or ISPs"
Overall "Very happy so far."

I signed up with Cloud9 after DirectvDSL stopped providing service. The cut over was virtually seemless, which is surprising since they had to coordinate with Verizon. The tech guys answered all my questions about service and equipment. Even basic questions about equipment I wasn't purchasing from them. They cut my service over with less than one day down time. After having waited more than 15 weeks for the intial set up with my previous provider I was extremely happy.

I mostly use the service to play a MMORPG and have had fewer problems lately than with my previous provider. Very occasionally I will trouble connecting. Not sure if it is an ISP issue or host server issue, or a little of both. But color me satisfied.

Comments:

Review by rabecasis See Profile

• Location: Sunnyside,Queens,NY
  • CLEC party: Verizon
Good "Reliable, fast, excellent tech support, allows NAT and any servers"
Bad "Members website clunky & out-dated looking"
Overall "Best i found... go for it!"

I was a previous Telocity member, forced to look elsewhere when then closed down. I looked around what was available for NY, using price, speed and NAT/servers allowed as my criteria. I found that Cloud9 was the best price wise for speed, and allowed NAT configurations and any server types to be run.

Their sales staff was very courteous, explaining every step thoroughly. My hardware arrived earlier than expected. Everything was easy to install and configure on the start date, and the tech support helped out a few times with my NAT and server configurations. Each time i called support i was immediately through to a specialist with no hold time, and their manner was very polite, proffessional and helpfull, best i've experienced in a long time. Special Kudos to Mark... thanks!

It's been full speed ahead since turn on a couple of month's ago... no complaints with anything other than their website which i think needs a serious work-over... redone perhaps? New features, etc...

member for 13.8 years, 21 visits, last login: 10.7 years ago