CenturyLink page on DSLReports

• Location: Flagstaff,Coconino,AZ
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Customer Support"
Bad "Speeds, transparency"
Overall "I would do it again"

I had CenturyLink at my previous house a few miles away. It was an area that they’d converted to VDSL2, and I was extremely happy with my 20m/896k service. It was installed exactly on time (in fact, the installer arrived early and my housemate had to let them in) and once it was installed, I was able to sign in, set a password, and start paying for the service immediately. In a year, it only went down for any significant amount of time once, and there’s a good chance it was my own fault, because I do not use the modem in default settings, and I try very hard to reboot the modem (well, “gateway” really, I bought an ActionTec Q1000 from them) only as an extreme last resort. It bears mentioning that I have a static IP ($5/mo plus a small set-up fee) and they let me unblock port 25 on a residential line.

In June of 2013, I moved to my current address. I was aware that I would only get 1.5 megabit service, and that I’d be on an ADSL circuit, but I was okay with that because no longer would I need to share it with three or four housemates when their line with the cableco went down and they were unwilling to call. I was worried about how long I’d be able to last on a 1.5mbit line before breaking down and moving to the cable company.

The installation was prompt, but it happened when I wasn’t around, so i wasn’t sure which of the several phone jacks in my new house had service on it. I eventually found the jack and got everything running. What I found, though, was that the service was pretty intermittent. For a while, I blamed it on the PowerLine adapters I’d bought years ago and which had a tendency to overheat and become disconnected. I eventually started checking the modem and found that it had retrained a bunch of times. I kept a log of this and it was a fairly insane number of times. Once every hour at the peak, before I called and scheduled a time for a tech to come out.

The tech was able to move my line to another port in the house, which means I now have the modem near the rest of my network. The line seemed to get better, and then suddenly to get worse.

Deciding I couldn’t take another full day off of work, only to have the tech show up within five minutes of the tail end of the promised period, and have no changes in the line, I gathered my findings and sent them off to CenturyLink’s help e-mail, talktous@centurylink.com. The response was mildly helpful — have you hooked it up at the demarc, have you reset the modem, etc.

Cringing, I dutifully repeated those tasks, and aded “hooking it up at the demarc” to my list of things to test. No change. About a quarter of the way through the exchange, I also swapped out my Q1000 (a nice VDSL2 modem with gigabit wired networking and wireless N) for an M1000 (without the ethernet or wireless add-ons) that my housemate had laying around. I configured it and connected another router to use as a switch and wireless access point. The whole thing seemed to be a little bit better, but it was still not stable enough to, say, download an album from iTunes. (which quits doing anything if the network has a disruption for too long.)

Another quarter in, the tech sent me a ZyXEL PK5001z, which is almost worse in that it has Wireless N, but only 10/100 ethernet. That modem wasn’t much better, but a day or so later, I got an e-mail saying that they adjusted some settings at the CO or on the DSLAM. From that point forward, the connection has been stable no matter what I put on it, and to avoid the “your Q1000 isn’t compatible” line I received earlier, but so as not to need two different networking devices, I’ve replaced the PK5001Z with a Netgear DGN D3700, which has an ADSL/ADSL2+ modem, a good router, a gigabit switch, and a dual-band Wireless N access point all in one device. At least one company doesn’t presume that just because I’m stuck on ADSL for my WAN, I want a terrible LAN. (I recently received a site message suggesting that hardware reviews will be available soon. I will be taking advantage of that feature.)

My third ever phone call with CenturyLink was to reset my PPPoE password for the D3700, which went very well and the tech insisted that I stay on the line and ensure I was able to get to two different web sites before terminating the call, which I thought was excellent.

Since then, every once in a while I e-mail CenturyLink, just to ask them about upgrades and let them know that 1.5 megabits is terrible. In that time, I have been told so many different things about my area that I’m honestly not sure what to believe. For example, in no particular order, I’ve been told that my house is so far out I barely qualify for DSL at all, let alone 1536/896 kilobits, that the DSLAM is full, that the DSLAM is not fed by fiber and therefore nothing beyond 1536 is physically possible, and that bonding is available, but only via business, and by the business group, I was told that the DSLAM is indeterminately “full.”

Later on, I actually found out from advice on here and from my Q1000 that the “last mile” part of my loop is actually reasonable, and that on VDSL2 it should be pretty fast, but that it is nigh on impossible to know when your area is going to be upgrade. My city is listed as a VDSL2 market, but there’s no indication at all of when that’s going to actually be available to the whole city. In addition, I haven’t really gotten a straight answer from CenturyLink on why my modem might claim it can connect faster, but this isn’t something they’ve deployed, how much it will cost them to make it happen, and whether or not it’s on the docket. The best advice I’ve received on this matter is from Frontier Communications employees, which is that in former Bell system companies, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Ultimately, I’m with CenturyLink because I have had hellaciously bad experiences with the local cable company, and to make matters worse, the cableco is often the default choice here, so it’s difficult to get my own line installed with them. For as slow as CenturyLink is, my tales of woe with the cableco are absolutely harrowing, and their customer support is completely abhorrent, and in order to do some of the things I’m doing, I’d be paying more than twice as much with the cableco than I do with CenturyLink.

I would do it again, and if I move again, I will ensure to check available speeds before-hand and try to get into a neighborhood with better speeds, but I will mention that I’m bothered that within the same relatively small town, there’s such a huge difference in the services available. I’m not exactly far away from anything, and my neighborhood is of approximately standard American suburb density. Fortunately, I believe my service is being hampered by a single piece of equipment that simply hasn’t been replaced yet, and there’s no indication that (because it was installed slightly less than ten years ago) it will ever be replaced.

I would throw money at CenturyLink in the form of bonded DSL + phone, or a CoreConnect business account, if those services were available here.

2014-11-18: added speedtests in the evening and cap information.

member for 334 days, 255 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TAZ

@qwest.net

Keep trying

IMO, keep trying to figure out the local setup yourself. It's difficult to trust anything CSRs tell you, as you've found.

First thing I would do is try to find where the cross box and DSLAM are. The fact they're "qualifying" you for bonded seriously makes me wonder if there is another Ethernet-fed DSLAM at your cross box. Their record keeping is extremely poor (I recently learned this myself). Knowing where this is will allow you to know for certain if this is the case, and also know if there is fiber available there (there would usually be an orange pole with a fiber sticker on it).

On that last point: I am in a subdivision in Tucson, built in 2000. Fiber was built to the cross box from day one but not used until 2009 when they upgraded the DSLAM's T1 uplinks to GigE over fiber.

Look for a place with a power meter and at least two cabinets. Qwest seems to use various different cabinet styles for their cross boxes (on one street here I have seen at least 3 different variations). Since you're on an older DSLAM, there's a number of models they could have used so it's hard to say what the size of that cabinet would be. (Still happy to look around for you, if you want to post a gmaps link to a nearby location.)

Review by haysucka See Profile

• Location: Champlin,Hennepin,MN
Good "Speed, Price, Stability"
Bad "Sloppy Installtion"
Overall "Little problems with connection"

It works great, stable connection the whole time. The only problem with the install was - he left some stripped down telephone wires near the NID. I worked for a cable company and always picked up my scraps/garbage. I currently subscribe to 20mb and always get it. As far as equipment goes, I have a Zxyel gateway modem. I had no trouble in getting the wireless function turned through tech support (wished I could do it myself), and local tech support was also nice. Please keep that up. But all in all decent experience, I know my rate will push up to $65/month after one year.

Comments:

Review by calathea See Profile

• Location: Scio,Linn,OR
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Easy setup, fast speed and we are way out in the country"
Bad "could be less expensive"
Overall "It's always my fault when it's not working"

15 November 2014

There have been ups and downs this past year with a lot of slowdowns and outright service interruptions. I call in and of course there is no problem with CenturyLink systems. It's always us and we go through an elaborate script of useless troubleshooting. They actually blamed it on the TPLink and made us get a CL (Xyzel) modem. One time we had gone back to the TPLink after a period of stability and when the interruption came, the conversation went like this:

It's your browser. Nope, happens in IE, Chrome, & Firefox.
Then it's your device: Nope, happens on my phone, laptop & workstation
Then it's your wireless: Nope, happens on the workstation which is wired to the modem
Then it's your modem which we do not support: OK, let me switch to a CL modem
Then it's your modem configuration: OK, let's configure it however you say.
Still not working (after half an hour of bumbling around with the modem), we'll send a tech out.

Next day: Call from CL telling us they won't be sending a tech, it was a fault with their equipment that DIDN"T SHOW UP on their monitoring tests !!! Imagine that.

Every time, we go through this. One time when I called in they refused to talk to me because I was not the 'owner' of the account, even though I have all of the credentials and my husband has asked repeatedly that they grant me the ability to troubleshoot the problems with them.

Oh well, when it works it's fine. When it doesn't, it's time to walk away from the internet. It's our only option except Dish and 4G.

************************
28 December 2013

Got this: TP-LINK TD-W8980 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router, 2.4GHz 300Mbps+5Ghz 300Mbps, 2 USB Ports for File Sharing, IPv6 Compatible

Alex from Centurylink chat provided the configuration information we needed beforehand. However the modem setup wizard knew everything except the username and password.

The modem/router is working great so far and the wireless is fine. This replaced a Westell A90-750014-07 with a LinkSys router behind it to provide better wireless.

Loving the new faster speed and CenturyLink support did just fine.

******************

2 December 2013

We have 2 land lines and internet from Centurylink; when adding the second land line we were promised that we would have the fastest possible internet speed when it became available. At that time (June 2012) the max was 1.5 MB per second. The other day I looked online and we were still at 1.5, so I called and they bumped it up to 6. Much faster. Now speed testing at over 5 and you can really tell the difference. I am delighted with this result.

Also they sent a new modem --on the call I asked 'what kind?' and the tech said 'don't know, whatever is in the warehouse.' It turned out to be a Zyxel PK5001Z and the reviews on that are terrible. I am still using the old Westell modem but wondered if anyone on here has a recommendation of the best DSL modem that CenturyLink supports? I work from home and rely on my connection, so quality is the first concern.
**************

16 May 2013

Still plugging along, there have been a couple outages in the last year or so. The first one was easy, I called the number and a recording said "there is an outage." The second one, just last week, I must have been the first to call in because the rep kept having me fiddle with the modem settings until they finally decided to call an outage. However the rep was in the US, definitely a plus.

Other than that the connection has been adequate for me to work from home, although not real great for streaming video and such. They keep promising faster speeds. I'm just glad to have the connection out here.

****************************
13 December 2010

I spoke too soon apparently; we are just back up from mostly the whole weekend of what I think was the Lebanon server being down. However, support were courteous and honest about the difficulties -- hope we are back up for good now.
**********************************************
10 December 2010

Since June there have been 2 outages, the most recent one was today. I was surfing and suddenly lost the connection. After waiting a couple hours and cycling power, I called CenturyLink, heard an announcement that there had been a maintenance and people needed to cycle power, waited only a short time, and got a courteous tech who walked me through some arcane reconfiguring of the connection on the westell page.

Now we are back up and running and overall still pretty happy with CenturyLink. It's not as fast as the cable connection we had in town, but we are just grateful to have good DSL, as far out in the country as we are.

One other thing -- I am always ecstatic when a provider right up front lets me know there has been a maintenance or a change, rather than denying it and blaming it on their users. Way to go CenturyLink, they handled this one perfectlyl
**********************************************

15 June 2010
Recently moved here from our place in town. The CenturyLink DSL is working great for us. I was blaming the constant service interruptions at our previous house on my PC or my firewall software, but it works fine out here so turns out it was Comcast. It happened when we reduced our service down a tier. Or, we got some new neighbors, could be somebody was sucking up all the bandwidth. With the DSL you get a dedicated chunk of bandwidth which is great.
********************

Way out here the country in Linn County Oregon, cable is not an option. But we are in line of sight of a cell tower so we could have gotten a 3G/4G connection. Although the portability would have been nice, we didn't like the idea of the download/upload caps so we decided to try the CenturyLink fiber connection. We are right on the edge of their coverage area. We got the phone and internet package for about $100 per month.

The modem is a Westell and we are using a Netgear wireless router. Hooked up the modem and plugged the laptop in -- ZoneAlarm found the network and asked if it was OK. That all worked perfectly, so I hooked up the router. Same thing -- gave ZoneAlarm the approval and everything worked fine. Tested the wireless and that worked too.

I have never had such an easy setup experience before. Always I seem to struggle and work and end up hating my provider until enough time passes that I get over it. But we are delighted with CenturyLink so far. They are in the position of having happy customers and all they have to do to keep it that is not blow it!

member for 12.9 years, 1914 visits, last login: 6 days ago

Comments:

linicx

Me too.

I've been a customer for a number of years because cable sucks. CL is very much like the old nursery rhyme. When it is good it is very, very good, but when it is bad it is horrid.

CL is a telephone company that does have oversight from your state public utility bureau/commission. The Internet does not have to work, but the phone does. The best of both worlds in my house is a whole house filter vs the splitter in each phone jack.

I use Mac. I had a lot of trouble with routers and CL in my house until I switched to a ASUS pc/Mac PnP router. It has been a long process to sort it out; I'm good to go.

CL doesn't have many outages where I live. What I learned about outages is it can be caused by squirrels, heavy snow, heavy rain, ice, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, E-storms, too hot, too cold, and contractors who dig before they think. It's an expensive lesson. Anytime a telephone company experiences a system- wide outage it can take several days to locate and fix - especially when it is in a county of a 1000 square miles and not many people.

In time you will learn its quirks. It is not a bad company, but like others, it is only loved when it works as advertised. Where I live cable is a much bigger problem which is why I have Dish TV and CL.
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Locked for 2 More Years

Try getting a couple routers, that gotta help. Our internet (which is 40mbps) got 10mbps in our small house thanks to their crappy modems. Seemed to do the trick for us.

Still, we're waiting for the day our contract ends, so we can switch to Comcast and get our hands on extreme 105. We may hate them but it'll be welcomed. I guess until then I guess I gotta hope CL expands there gigabit program in Minneapolis to my house.

Best of luck to you out in the sticks. You gotta check out exede, one of my family members has it and it runs a lot faster than what you're getting.

Review by Tweak3d See Profile

• Location: Bennington,Switzerland,IN
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "I will get back to you on this one."
Bad "speed, ping, support, price, monopoly, lie, cheat, steal."
Overall "Would rather have a sex change operation by a sawzall."

Update 11-10-2014:
Moved from Centurylink monopoly area and disconnected service. They were going to charge me an E.T.F. but I quickly pointed out that I notified them of my moving before "the contract" was put into effect. I also pointed that they had no legal ground to stand on cause they could not provide me with anything concrete that would hold up in court (No signature, no verbal authorization plus they do not offer service where I now live). I kept asking for supervisors and on the 3rd supervisor...problem solved, No E.T.F.
Ok for the super bad...3meg down. = about $65. Now, I am on Charter cable...60meg down for $40.
Get with the program DSL companies, your internet access is not worth all that.

Update 4-15-2013:
Well my connection has improved. AND IT ONLY TOOK SLIGHTLY OVER 2 YEARS! It is still unsatisfactory at high usage times with ping rates too high for gaming. The download consistency is much better but still not steady. They dropped my service from 3.0 down to 1.5 down. They also dropped the price though.

HOWEVER: I would never recommend this service provider to anyone. Heck, I went back to mailing letters and chatting with people face to face instead of using IMs.

If you have another choice... weigh the options!

Update 8-16-2012:
Latest word: Still no definite date for finishing the fiber upgrade. Hopefully the BBB can help me out. I hope everyone will call the BBB and lodge complaints against a company that continually delivers a sub-standard product and expects to be paid for it. Kinda like bouncing a check... theft by deception.

Update 8-9-2012:
Still Crap. 23 months I have been dealing with issues related to this ISP. That is just absurd. Finally filed a complaint with BBB. Honestly I would rather have my genitals smashed with a hammer repeatedly than deal with the jokers at Century link one more time.

Update 6-18-2012:
The fiber has been in the ground for months, but the equipment was delayed. I was told that there would be a difference in the next 4 to 6 weeks.
I already notice that my speed is normal (3.0M) for 3 sec and then almost 0 kbps for 12 sec during peak hours. That is up from less than 1 meg on same time frame.
Latency still is a big issue with me because I play World of Tanks game online.

In my anger I refused to pay them full price for the service. But I felt a little guilty so I worked it out to where I only paid $25 a month for disappointing service, but meh, it'll get better.

But I am here to say, through ALL of the trouble, I did get some good tech people and some idiots. I talked to some good people in billing and some complete jackasses (your supervisor please!), but when I think about it, the hundred phone calls were quite fun. Start talking TCP forced idle time, route consistency, and they get confused and say, "We don't support ping. We only support speed." Which they could not support either.

But soon they might be able to. I will update in 4-6 weeks. (When the upgrade is supposed to be done.)

Thanks for the update Trent P. That is what I want from with companies that I deal with, to be inside the loop on a resolution to my specific problem. Not a specific date, just a window of hope.

Original Post:
I have had this service for over 2 years. Problem after problem. NID, DSLAM, Line problems up the street, bandwidth exhaust, uneducated tech support (50/50) I did get some good ones occasionally.
I documented every problem, call, and payment, when it come time to get a credit, I have never had an issue. (Only paid 24.99 so far in 2012, and that was for Dec 2011)
I refuse to pay for internet that is sub-standard and this is by far sub standard.
3meg down, during peak hours... .2 meg down or about 1/15th my provisioned speed and pings as high as 999ms. Terrible for gaming.

The problem keeps getting worse.

They promise it will be all better once fiber is installed in a few weeks.
I hope so, but after reading so much bad about CL, I am not so sure now. *sigh*

Comments:
Tweak3d

join:2012-02-12
Coos Bay, OR

Recent Fiber Upgrade

Century link spent some big money running fiber optic cable some 10 miles to my area. It supposedly was the fix for slow speeds and high pings.
It has had almost NO impact. Snail speeds and pings like satellite connection...still.
I am giving them a little longer to see if it now an equipment related setting. New fiber = new equipment right?
If there is no resolution by the end of May, I will no longer be connected to the net. They WILL NOT get my hard earned money for this ... connection. I will not tolerate it.
People need to stand up, not bend over.

danov

@embarqhsd.net

Re: Recent Fiber Upgrade

I had a similar problem then I called tech support and had a tech come to my house to run a "home run jack" to my computer. Turns out it wasn't an issue with CenturyLink at all it was the way my house was built on the inside. They were here about 2 hours rechecked speed and it had quadrupled went from 3 meg to 12 meg consistently no drag at peak times.
Tweak3d

join:2012-02-12
Coos Bay, OR

Re: Recent Fiber Upgrade

I really do wish it was that easy. I have been dealing with this company for over a year and a half now about various problems dealing with speed and connectivity.
Everything is new from the NID all the way in. I made them rewire it because they would not admit that they oversold the bandwidth available. They were "unsure" where the problem was.
And now, since it is all new stuff, they have to go back to their equipment.

Oh, I did forget to mention that I am not the only one in this area with this problem. I am just the first one who recognizes when there is a problem.

Thank you very much though, that gave me a good idea.
Aninsider

join:2012-04-13
yea when they put in fiber they fail everytime to upgrade the copper cabling as well and since copper comes into your home, im sure, that would explain yet another false promise this corporation has made
kinco

join:2005-06-02
Cardington, OH

Hi

I recently went through the same problems as the reviewer. After about 2 years, 100+ (literally) calls, 4-5 field tech visits to the home, 5 modems and countless hard resets/power cycles performed, they finally effing fixed it. Just be patient, nag the fuck out of them and hope for the best. If that doesn't work and there's no other ISP in your area.....move or live with it. Those are literally your only options .
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

Fiber should work great.

I don't understand how they could put in fiber and not have it work well. I could never get any sort of internet service at my house before except dial up and the old phone lines were too long for DSL until a new fiber network was put in. It goes down the main street only about 100 yds. from my house so I was able to get it installed here. I though all they would have to do was connect my phone line and there were 2 old lines coming to the house but they didn't go to anything and appeared to have been cut and used for something else in the past so they ran a new line from the house all the way down the alley to the new network and it works great! I signed up for the 20Mb service and it consistently measures 18Mb or so and is rock solid so I'm very pleased with it. There was an outage once when a thunderstorm had lightning that damaged the line coming in and I had to replace the entire cable from the junction box outside all the way in to the box on the wall and even the cord going from the box to the modem but otherwise I haven't really had any problems.

Review by albar162 See Profile

• Location: Cape Coral,Lee,FL
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Picture Quality when working"
Bad "Technicians"
Overall "If you order centurylink ask for senior tech for install"

I ordered Centurylinks Preferred Pkg for Cable/unlimited Phone and 10megs internet as that was highest available to me.

Now as for install it went horrible, initial installer needed two others to help figure out install and were here for 4 -6 hours. I also want to note the @$% left some of his tools here and would not come back to get them !!!! My service from that point was not good the filter went bad in a matter of days and in the first three months I went thru three wired boxes, which means yes all dvr'd shows were lost 3 times besides the fact tv was barely watchable due to either picture freezing or sound loss requiring restart of system. I am now in my 6th month of service and just recently had a senior tech out(had to ask for one) due to chronic pixelation issues with my tv line and crackling of phone line besides the fact a few days earlier I had called for the same problem and they came out looked at outside wire and left never contacting me at all. Also just to note after sub contractor came out to bury cable, he never backfilled cable from pole to house I had to do it !!!!!

Modem is a Centurylink C2000T, wired cable box is IPH8005 and wireless box is ISB7005

The good experience is the last visit with senior tech that seems to have fixed all my problems .... so far? The bad experience has been the fact not once did anyone offer any kind of reimbursement for all time lost over the first six months of service except a $10.00 credit for bad install lmao I have spent over $1000.00 on a service that was piss poor at best with numerous tech visits that left me in doubt that they have very many competent technicians here in SW Florida.

Comments:

linicx

Oh Yeah...

I did the same dance with this company in another state for about three years. When I tired of the constant phone problems I called my state utility commission, and got some relief. My second complaint for the same problem with the phone got the best results. The phone was removed from the Internet line. Both phone and net behave 1000 times better than before.

I have one of the worst Zytel modems made but it works for me. I can't complain with a steady 10/1, but it is starting to show signs of oversold lines somewhere in the system. I'm having the same problems with my phone again, too.

Review by mdrift See Profile

• Location: Spokane,Spokane,WA
Good "It works"
Bad "There is no upside to 20/40Mbps though they advertise for it."
Overall "I'd dump it in a flash, especially if Spokane would run it's own Muni Gigabit service."

7Mpbs/896Kbps. Took 5 years to actually get what I purchased. Was stuck at 5Mbps/896Kbps until CLink did some upgrades in Spokane. Not much of one, but I finally got what I was paying for.

ZyXEL PK5000Z ADSL2+ Modem.

Installation service was good. The few times I've actually contacted support it's been below average.

Comments:

Review by neill6705 See Profile

• Location: Little Falls,Morrison,MN
Good "Consistent connection that's faster than what we're paying for."
Bad "Horrible CPE, overly aggressive sales people."
Overall "Great service, but bring your own modem."

We've had Centurylink for about a month and a half now. I've been very pleased with they're service. We're paying for 20/0.896mbps and speedtest.net consistently shows 24.4/0.85mbps. We haven't had any downtime in the time we've had them. One of my only complaints is the sales people. I've been in a sales position before and I know the importance of upselling but when the customer knows exactly he/she wants, don't try and jam the stuff they don't want down their throat. I lost count of how many times I had to say no to a land line (we have VoIP from Ooma), Verizon, Direct TV, their at ease antivirus tech support bundle, etc. I didn't really deal with any field techs. Since we were just using our NID for DSL, I unhooked out home phone wiring from the terminals as the Ooma is feeding that and ran a piece of Cat5e to a jack just for DSL myself. This leads to my only other complaint - the customer premise equipment. I bought an Actiontec C1000A. Worst $100 I've ever spent. It had thousands of CRC and hundreds of thousands or millions of FEC errors every day. A week later I replaced it with a ZyXel P873HNUP and all my issues went away. On a bad day it has a few hundred FEC errors and basically no CRC errors. Bring your own router, unless you get a C2000T (based on what I've read).

Overall, the service has been very fast and consistent. Once you get past the annoying sales people, If you're near the DSLAM and the copper loop is of decent quality, you should be very satisfied with the service.

A couple updates: We've lost our over-provision, so we are at exactly 20mbps now instead of 24 mbps we were getting earlier. I'm a bit disappointed, but obviously I can't fault them for it since I'm getting what I'm paying for.

We had a bridge tap that was causing a lot of instability for our connection. I explained to the phone support person that I had troubleshot it to the NID and we were able to skip all the tedious power cycling they normally have you go through. She dispatched a technician right away. The tech was polite, friendly, identified the bridge tap within minutes, and had the issue corrected within an hour. I was very satisfied with the call.

member for 104 days, 113 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by OOMJR See Profile

• Location: Avilla,Noble,IN
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "It's good if you work 2nd or 3rd shift. Forget 8pm to 12 EST time. It's slow and packet loss.."
Bad "They will seem to notice an issue but if it's not a big enough issue just forget it."
Overall "I've been with this company for years, only reason is it's the only service in my area."

10/27/14

Internal ticket is still being thrown around. I've been doing smoke pings to my modem and when the issues arise at night the latency of the graphs also rise.

Latency increases, bandwidth drops... I've done A LOT of tests and they still can't figure what's actually happening. I'm going to do one more night of testing on 10/29/14 and then I'm done. I'll give it a couple more weeks. If this situation doesn't get fixed soon I'm going to have to approach this issue another way. I'm looking to write my congressman and the president of CL. My Verizon 4G connection works better and I pay the same amount. If I didn't have a data cap on my phone now I would be back to using it as my internet source.

9/8/14 Update

Soooo...........

I got a internal ticket started, which escalated to the field tech ticket. Field tech closed his ticket showing no issues. The internal ticket was closed with no resolution. I called and they said it was closed but there wasn't any reason why. I called back again and got Andy on the phone. He emailed some people above. He wasn't going to be in the office for a few days so he would call me back on 9/7 by 2pm. He called 9/7 at 1:40ish and updated me. The email he received was regarding slow speeds and was effecting me area. He said they have a resolution day on 9/11 and the start of the repair would be 9/10. So just a couple day until that happens. He said to call back if this doesn't fix the issue... I'm crossing me fingers. Once this is fixed I'm hoping I can get some sort of credit. Evening internet use is useless. Speedtests aren't horrible 19-25 down and always 2 up but they said this fluctuation can cause streaming issues... I still think it's a routing issue within CL...

I'm going to email Joey and see if he can get some info for me in an email format.

9/2/14 Update

I have had Bonded 25/2 ADSL2+ for a half year now. It's new in my area, so let's say I'm a test subject.

After months of conditioning line pairs and doing numerous tests, the connection holds true to 25/2 with 0-10 FEC RS every 30 seconds... BUT there is always a catch with Centurylink.

In evening hours, I can run tests speeds showing 25/2 with 30-40 latency BUT all streaming services are degraded. My wife can watch anything during the afternoon without hiccups but once 8pm rolls around the service is only good for playing games. I can't run a 720p youtube video. I can't stream HD or Super HD on any device(PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, Galaxy S5).

My local tech has worked his boots off to get this service to run great but not I'm in a haze now. I'm not sure who is to blame because during this time the speedtests still check ok at around 25/2 with low latency.

Netflix isn't any help. Youtube brings up a prompt asking if I'm having issues streaming. Click on it and it shows that Centurylink doesn't do well at all during evening hours compared to MediaCom(Which they show as HD Certified, Centurylink isn't) and advises me to play 480p resolution to avoid interruption!

I thought it was the Wifi, but once I got on the PC and saw it was doing the same my heart sank. I knew I was getting back into the boxing ring against these companies.

To end this part of the review... My local tech has been great but the corporate side has been crap.

I'm paying around $74 a month for 25/2 and I can't watch Netflix or Youtube during the evening without re buffering every 30 seconds... It's a outrage at the price I pay.

12/31/13 Update

Internet is back to a stable state. 10 down and .78 up at all times with 35ms to the closest speedtest server in Michigan.

Good news is they just tested and confirmed Bonded 25/2 which will get installed this Friday afternoon(1/3/14). Since the last post they have installed another 5000 shelf that has 2 gige connections, this will be used to handle the Bonded connections in the area. 5000ft or closer only qualify. I'm at 4500ft. I'll post stats and tests of a before and after on this review plus on a forum thread I've made a while back.

»centurylink Avilla,IN bad again. Fixed 1st time by FCC

9/20/13 Update

Back again to 70+ ping and 1-3 down on CL tests. Speedtest.net is showing 70 ping with 1 down and .76 up. Pingtest.net is showing 80ms with 90 jitter when on a good day it's 14ms with 0-1 jitter. Sync rates are in great standing. IHD team still emailing engineers but haven't heard back from them. Got a pathetic credit 28$ credit on my 45$ bill. They won't fully credit my account cause it's not bad all the time just when it's busy. Congestion resolution time is 11-15-13... So about two more months. Pathetic. I'm letting it go till then. If nothing changes I might be dropping service and just tether my 4GLTE cell phone that has unlimited data. Rage mode right now.

I suggest avoiding there services if you can and wait till they get things fixed. Wait till you see a good amount of updated good reviews 1st.

8/12/13 Update

Waiting for a response from IHD team. Last night was by far the worse. 2-4 down with 300+ ping. Patience is running dry and every time I touch the internet in anyway it just frustrates me more. So I've been avoiding it all for now and letting CL do their job.

8/8/13 Update

Well, I think the loss balance is effecting me again. Back to how it was in June. Slow at peak hours with high latency. Pretty much worthless again. Emailed my contacts multiple times and no one higher up ,including TalkToUs , is responding back. Pretty upset with it all. Wish there was a different provider up here....

8/6/13 Update

After a balance issue between two near by cities the internet was running fine until the outage on Aug 1st, 2nd. After which the internet was slow and unstable until 8/5/13. It now is running full throttle at 13 ms ping to chicago and 10 down .78 up. As of now I'm happy but I'm hesitant to say I will be forever. Things will happen again, I'm certain.

Support is good if you can weave yourself into the correct #'s. Took me a few phone calls to find the right person to talk to. I know have 3 contacts I can email on the issue that by passes the 24/7 line and chats.

Thanks

Matt

5/8/13 Update

So... Supposedly... The CO supervisor, local tech and his managers are in contact via email with corporate. The fix would consist of moving some DSLAMS to a different rack. They have 3 racks, each can hold 3 DSLAMS, one not being used, one used for 6Mbps or lower and one for 10Mbps. The 10Mbps rack is at 98% capacity at night and they don't see the issue at the 24/7 line, not sure if they can. Each rack is also connected to a gigE fiber line.

Waiting game and contacting them each day for updates.

4/30/13 Update

Check out my test history »/testhistory/1782576/cba7a . During peak hours the line quality tests fail due to packet loss. After peak hours the test works ok but there is packet loss. My connection from my Modem to the DSLAM is 8ms. After the DSLAM that's where the issues are. It's on their end and they can't except that very easily. Took me a 48minute call to the 24/7 line to get this through their head. Their finally looking into the issue.

The Central Office is one street west of my house and this morning there was a Centurylink Van there along with a normal pedestrian car(employee?)

.7 to 10 Down during peak hours(5-12:30) .4-.6 Up. Ping of 100+ to 500.

I can usually ping at 30ms and have 10 down and .78 up to chicago.

Yahoo.com times out on pings and traceroutes.

Google.com pings at at least 130ms.

After peak hours it seems to be testing ok but I'm not home to use it... I work 8-5.

This will be the 2nd time I've had ping/bandwidth issues in my area. The first time around phone support and chat wasn't helping so I filed a FCC complaint. They gave me a new modem for free and fix the issue. If came back about a week later and I was offered a tech's direct number. He went out and switch me to a newer card at the Central Office. This fixed the issues until 4/28/13. I seem to be back where I was before. I'm guessing it's a bad card or they are having packet loss on their end. I called the tech and he doesn't work in my area anymore so he wasn't of any help. I called the 24/7 service line and they said I had to average 300ms ping with low bandwidth for them to issue it as an actual problem. I kept on them and they said they would look into it. Put me on hold a couple times to talk to a 3rd party company(that I assumes monitors and remotely fixes issues). They said they would see if they could remotely fix the issue and if this wasn't possible they would send a tech out. The window of the issue getting fixed is 24-48 hours. I'm expecting this to be done within this given time line. If it isn't I will be filing my second FCC complaint against the company, which I don't want to do but I don't like getting horrible service and paying for it.

-Matthew Raupfer

1-23-12 Update

After about 6 months of service my package 10Mbps down and 860Kbps up has become a horrible experience. I'm getting "the engineers are working to resolve the bandwidth issue in your area" line for the last 4 months... I can't get my 10 down anymore at anytime and during peak afternoon/evening hours I will range from .6 down to 1Mbps. My upload usually stays around 860Kbps. I've contacted Joey once again about the issue and a local store about it. Waiting for replies right now. Online chat hasn't helped one bit with the issue.

Ordered 10Mbps/896Kbps

1st day it was installed was able to ping Chicago server @ 14ms with a bandwidth test of 10.5Mbps/860Kbps

2nd day the ping went up to an average of 50ms to the same server.

Called 1-877-646-3282 to see if they had me set on interleaved rather then fast mode.
They told me since I was using a Actiontec Modem and not a rental that they wouldn't support Fast Mode. Also, I never was able to get a answer out of them what mode they were sending me from the DSLAM. She was running me around. At the end she said that there was a fiber issue in my area and they were working on fixing it... I went ahead and hung up.

Went to »www.centurylink.com/Pages/Support/ContactUs/ and did the online chat.
WOW!!! The customer support rep was extremely nice and answered every question I had. I did have to wait here and there after certain questions due to having to look up the info but in the end she was able to tell me I was connected interleaved. She then went ahead and switch me to Fast Mode, then she tested the line.

Online Chat is Superb so far. Phone Support... don't waste your time.

My ping is now back down to ~20ms to the Chicago server and my bandwidth is doing well at 10Mbps/864Kbps.

Overall,

Service has been up 24/7 for 3 months and online chat support is great.

Phone support is terrible. Rude and just want to get the phone call over with.

member for 3.7 years, 355 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Trawocd

@comcast.net

comments

I have heard a great deal of "bad" through acquaintances about cl. You always hear the bad more than the good. This is not an endorsement, although I am considering my options for service at this time. I would like to hear some of what they are doing correctly to help make a decision.
Seems service with a phone call is almost useless, but I see online chats are productive for the informed.

Need more input.
DC

Re: comments

Understand. No mega corporation cares one byte about one kid with school work, or a housebound handicapped person; but business, yes.

Truthfully, for the average user who does not download movies, compose symphonies, or create massive scientific projects on line ... 10/2 will support a digital phone and a rock solid internet connection very well, but. When a local CO is pushed to the breaking point it usually does.

The one thing a telephone company can do that cable cannot do is separate the phone side from the Internet side of the service. Thus when the telco and cable are offline, the telco phone will continue to work. It's a federal requirement that telco maintain is backup power for the phone system in their communications center (co). It might be six blocks from your house or 20 miles from your office, but you can bet there is a very large backup power source for your phone.

·TracFone Wireless
Trawocd, your best bundle is CL landline phone, Comcast Internet speed, and Dish crystal clear signal. It will cost you between $150 -$250 (depending upon the options you chose) plus the cost of installation, modems, etc..

BTW, you need to join us; you will get more help.

Review by liegia75 See Profile

• Location: us
Bad "customer service..disconnect"

I signed up with them and the internet service was wack,tried to disconnect and because i didnt trouble shoot the bad modem they would not cancel service. they sent out a modem and it took 3 weeks to get here..tell me why would i continue service with them??? they still after 40mins or more of being transfered and argued with they finaly cancelled service with a disconnection fee..I would not reccommend them to someone I hated...

Comments:

Review by krypt0 See Profile

• Location: Midwest
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (36 month contract)
Good "Solid connection, Advertised speeds"
Bad "Epic mess with initial install"
Overall "Nice second/backup internet"

I added CenturyLink for a second/backup internet service provider.
This is a business internet only connection (no data caps, lower pings, "guaranteed" speeds)

Hardware (All customer owned):
1. Technicolor C2000T (primary)
2. TP-LINK TD-8616 (backup)
Data Limit (monthly in GB): Unlimited
Provisioned Speed: 8M/896k
Received Speed: 8M/768k

»www.speedtest.net/result/3786756174.png

Comments:

Denver335

@174.51.223.x

Worst Customer Service

Trying to give CenturyLink additional business and bundle my existing phone service with their internet service....after 4 different calls to customer service, each more than 40 mins, different info each time, "can't find order", "found order with different info", "don't even show your existing service", I cancelled my order entirely. This is truly bad business when you can't even GIVE them new business! Although thier prices were lower than cable, I wasted more time and effort than was worth it! If there were another land line carrier, I'd go with them instead and cancel that as well. TERRIBLE