Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by sraz See Profile

• Location: Tucson,Pima,AZ
Good "Quick and easy setup, just connected modem after install date, very reliable service"
Bad "Refuses to sale anything faster even when there is no reason not to, stuck at stone age upload speed."
Overall "Good price for something reliable, probably good for most, but painfully slow upload prevents screenshare/cloud solutions"

I ordered 20mbps service on the mobile website, along with a $25 gift card that you can from ordering online. The next day someone from CenturyLink called to confirm the order, and I inquired about faster speed since I know my distance to the nearest DSLAM is only about 1200ft, but they said the only option they had available was pair bonding which was reserved for business account, which is unfortunate. It didn't list upload speed, but I expected it to be fairly abysmal given my previous experience with DSL.

Got the quickstart kit in the mail, waited for the the activation date and time and hooked up the modem. Forgot to change my DNS servers back to automatic so I didn't get the activation page right away, but after I changed that I follow the on-screen activation and was up and running. Pretty smooth, and I haven't rebooted the modem at all since then, and that was 49 days ago. That's pretty awesome uptime considering what I pay for the connection! I've had 0 problems with their billing even though I'm paperless and have auto pay setup. They always email me what the bill is well in advance of sucking it out of the bank, so it doesn't bother me.

Speed is consistent, haven't even noticed a drop-off in the speed at peak times either, but then again my DSLAM is fiber fed, only servers 420 Living Units, and isn't really oversold since Comcast really pushes the area. The nice part about that is the 250gb data cap that CenturyLink has isn't really enforced because there isn't any capacity problems. I'm sure I've already exceeded it at least once since I got up and running. Unfortunately the upload speed is a paltry 896kbps, which is painfully slow. Why CenturyLink feels they need to relegate their customers to this upload speed, I have no idea. I copy stuff I need to upload to my cell phone, which is rather embarrassing.

There comes my only other complaint... They refuse to sale me anything faster. I noticed once I got the service up and running that the modem has great signal levels, enough to support their 40mbps/5mbps tier without any issues. I called, chatted, and emailed them the information my modem reports and requested if they could look into it. Finally someone said they spoke with provisioning and that there were plans to bump speeds in the future, but without any ETA. However nobody can seem to explain why they can't just bump speeds now given there is no technical limitations, heck it wouldn't even require a truck roll.

Signal levels reported by my modem are almost better than other people already on the 40mbps/5mpbs. Just wish CenturyLink would leverage their existing assets and offer pair bonding to lock people into a more compelling product. Seems to me they leave a lot of money on the table when they could sell me up to 100mb/12mb with pair bonding, where I would pay $123.99. Guess I'll just stay paying a mediocre $30 for a mediocre upload speed.

xdslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status

Down Up

SNR (dB): 25.8 31.0

Attn(dB): 14.0 4.8

Pwr(dBm): 17.0 4.6

I think I would still recommend them for most people's internet needs, unless of course you wanted to do anything uploading related like cloud backups, screen sharing, game streaming, uploading YouTube videos, etc. I do really appreciate the stellar uptime though, works awesome when combo'd with a VOIP provider like Ooma.

Comments:
greatshow09

Eh, CL is still slow..

I have 40/5 and it overall just doesn't step up to the plate as to what I call fast..
Just my opinion.

Review by jamesmil See Profile

• Location: Seattle,King,WA
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Incredibly fast, great install, great value"
Bad "Included router doesn't do AC wireless, some confusion over using my own"
Overall "CenturyLink 1G Fiber is the best internet service yet."

It all started about a month ago.

CenturyLink has been heavily advertising their new 1Gig service in Seattle, but my neighborhood has never been listed as one served by fiber. To date, I've had Comcast/Xfinity Extreme 150 internet package, which has been mostly fine, though the speed could be inconsistent during the evening, and the price is quite high. We've always maintained a CenturyLink telephone line and when you add the two bills together, our monthly cost was over $200.

Then, about a month ago, I noticed a truck in our neighborhood stringing new fiber optic cabling down along the telephone poles. I sent a tweet to @CenturyLinkSeattle to ask if this might mean their 1G service was coming sooner rather than later to our neighborhood. The responded quickly, but merely pointed me back to the "Fiber to the Press Release" website, which still had no mention of our neighborhood. Then last week, I noticed a post on Reddit, which mentioned an email, gig.seattle@centurylink.com, that was monitored by field sales supervisors who could tell you more about availability. So I wrote them and asked about the cable that had been hung on the poles.

Within an hour, they emailed back that yes, in fact, the 1Gig service was available at my house, and including the cost of our existing phone line, the price would be $125/mo, guaranteed for three years without contract. They scheduled the install appointment for the following Thursday, everything was handled over email, the thread continued into the weekend as they offer to answer any questions I might have. In fact it was so easy and pleasant, and still no public information about our neighborhood being served, I assumed that it would all fall apart and a tech would show up telling me there had been a mistake and try to sell me DSL.

On Tuesday, a tech knocked on the door to let us know he would be running a new cable from the telephone pole to the side of our house in preparation for the upcoming installation. On the day of the appointment, I had a service window between 9am - 1pm. The tech called at 9:15am to say he was 10 minutes away, and arrived at 9:25. He was extremely polite, looked at the side of the house where the phone box was, and my basement where the network equipment was, and explained everything he would be doing.

The install consisted of replacing my existing phone box with a new (only slightly larger) ONT endpoint, mounting a UPS on the wall in my basement, and running power from there up to the new ONT. The internet itself came from the ONT on a CAT6 cable, no modem is required.

The install took approximately two hours, and was trouble free. The tech said I was the first house in the area to be connected to the new infrastructure. He said that while the instals are time consuming, the infrastructure is more reliable and easier to maintain then the legacy copper and CL hopes to eventually replace it all. Neighborhoods with telephone poles are first, as no additional permits are required to deploy.

When he was done, we ran a speedtest -- seeing both download and upload over 900Mbps is a pretty amazing thing -- for the first time ever, my connection to the internet was as fast or faster then my local network in the home. I was receiving a 8x download and 20x upload speed boost, while saving nearly $100/mo over what I had been paying for Phone + Internet previously. Up and running without a hitch in less than a week from my initial contact with the CenturyLink sales team.

When the install was complete, I was equally surprised (despite earlier assurances) that there was no contract sign, not even a release for the install (note, having an existing CenturyLink account likely made this easier). Only an email a few hours later saying my service change request had been completed.

The downsides? None really. The only challenge I have had so far, is I don't like the internet router they provided ($100 purchase, vs a $7/mo lease) as much as my own. They provide a CenturyLink branded ActionTel C2000A router. It is very, very fast and perfectly capable, but I already have a high end ASUS RT-AC87U, which supports AC wireless networking, and more high end features (VPN, better monitoring, guest networks, etc).

The ASUS does support PPPoE WAN connections, but because of the way the VLAN is tagged on the CenturyLink network, it doesn't connect as is. I'm told that I can work with the CenturyLink tech support team to configure the VLAN to work with my modem, but so far I haven't been successful in making this happen (I'll update this review when I do). Note, this is not a huge negative, the provided router is perfectly fine for 99% of our household activity. Our house is now significantly faster than most of the rest of the internet... we are limitless.

I can't believe my good fortune to qualify for this service, and I the high quality interactions I've had with CenturyLink field sales staff and technical installers as part of this experience prompted me to write this review. While there is no contract holding me, I can't imagine every giving up this amazing service.

UPDATE 3/30/15: Today I discovered how to assign the VLAN Tag ID on my router, and once set, it connected just fine via PPPoE to the service. No configuration change was required by CenturyLink.

Comments:

where

@amazon.com

neighborhood?

what neighborhood of seattle are you in? bought a new house and wondering if they're in mid beacon hill area
jamesmil

join:2004-05-31
Seattle, WA

Re: neighborhood?

I'm in the Montlake neighborhood, not far from Husky stadium.
IanLee

join:2014-11-24
Woodland, WA

Re: neighborhood?

My sister lives in a neighborhood well across from Husky Stadium and Comcast is their only option.

starwater

@qwest.net
Oh boy. Beacon Hill. Yeah me too. They only offer 12mbits in my area right south of the golf course. Let's pray faster speeds come soon in our lifetime.
Beck38

join:2014-05-12
Mukilteo, WA

Will have to keep closer tabs...

I thought West Seattle was 'in the bulls-eye' in Century, guess I'll have to take a much closer look (esp. in the S.Seattle region), esp. now as Frontier continues to close/shut down neighborhood after neighborhood in the original Verizon-built FIOS plant in Snohomish County.

Review by atomicbird See Profile

• Location: Colorado Springs,El Paso,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Bad "Same speed as 10 years ago"
Overall "Doesn't go down much, but it almost doesn't matter."

I've had CenturyLink DSL since it used to be Qwest offering the service around here. It used to seem fast but they've decided they're fast enough.

I'm right in the middle of the city, literally on the same street as CenturyLink's central office. Although they make a big deal about offering 40Mbps or better (there was even a media splash about 1Gbps offerings), I've been at 5Mbps for a very long time now. Every so often I inquire about options for something faster, but no matter how hard I push I never get more than that no upgrades are planned for my area. I work from home, and the current speed is slow enough that it interferes with getting things done at times. My cell phone is about 3x as fast as DSL, but the monthly caps mean it's not really an alternative.

The most annoying thing about this is that people directly across the street from me can get 40Mbps. But when I call CenturyLink they act like I'm out in the sticks somewhere that broadband doesn't exist.

Comments:

Review by wesm See Profile

• Location: Seattle,King,WA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Very, very, very fast; reliable connection; no data transfer cap"
Bad "Expensive; install has some rough edges"
Overall "If you can get their fiber service, get it"

I'm in an area where CenturyLink started rolling out fiber-to-the-home in Seattle. Once it I saw it as available on my street through their web site, I took immediately put in an order for gigabit fiber. (Placing an order did result in a hard credit inquiry on my TransUnion report even though they didn't ask for my social security number.)

The first install date was six days after the order was placed but it was missed because the fiber drop wasn't run to my house. This was on a Friday afternoon. After asking CenturyLink's Twitter help account, I had a call from the local supervisor and a fiber install crew at my house first thing on Saturday. The remainder of the install, like putting in the ONT and activating service, was pushed to the following Tuesday.

On Tuesday, the installer arrived at about noon and finished just before 5pm. He mounted a new ONT, ran the data and telephone wiring inside to my basement, and set up the router. I did buy their $99 CenturyLink-branded ActionTec router even though I have a very good router already. The CenturyLink router works well but I want it mainly as a backup if they start blaming mine for any service problems. Once the installer finished, with no hiccups at all, he activated service and was on his way.

My speed tests through Speedtest.net have consistently been above 900Mbps to local servers. I've tested as far away as Dublin, Ireland and still hit speeds of over 100Mbps. To try to "load test" it, I started two downloads of Linux ISOs, a Netflix stream, and a WatchESPN stream from my Roku. Latency (a ping test) to a Dallas, Texas server was still approximately 60ms and a speed test to the same local server still showed about 300Mbps.

I took the $124.95 (plus tax, which I don't know just yet) for gigabit Internet and home phone bundle. This gets me a three-year price guarantee and a one-year required contract. Both of those are fine by me because I'm never cancelling this service. CenturyLink may have crappy copper service but their fiber service has been amazing for the several weeks I've had it so far.

member for 15.7 years, 5791 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jgkolt See Profile

• Location: Avon,Lorain,OH
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Fiber, faster than TWC, Knowledgeable installers"
Bad "Challenging install process, correct sales information, company very segmented"
Overall "It's fiber but my experience felt like bait and switch"

1st Post

January 17th, 2015

I ordered the 100 down 50 up fiber package. Originally it was $93 for internet alone but when bundled with home phone and the current sale it was $56 and locked in for 5 years with auto-pay. We also received $50 credit towards the install and $100 bundle visa credit card. Worked with online support and ordering was quite easy. It took many times to get an accurate number of what down/up speeds were available at my address. They installed a Calix 710GX ONT outside and a ZyXEL FR1000Z gateway router inside. I didn't realize that it wasn't needed until the last day of the install. Wish I was told, instead of purchasing the gateway for $100, and just used my own router via PPPoe.

The first install date no one showed up. I messaged online support and they were going to ping the tech and supervisor. I heard nothing and pinged online support again and they sent me to the repair hotline. That department said they pinged the tech and supervisor and they would reach out to me after 15 minutes. I took off of work and waited 8 hours and heard nothing that day.

The next morning promptly at 9 am the supervisor called and took ownership of the situation. He believed that the work order never came down to the tech and was a growing pain of the company, but he would look into it. The next day they installed everything inside and they would be back on Monday for the outside due to very cold weather conditions. they did some work Monday but ran into problems with the lines (mislabeled, and fiber cracking in the 0 degree weather). They took out the neighbors internet but fixed both it and ours the next day. The supervisor stayed late to make sure we could get internet and phone setup inside our house. Although there were issues the people were very kind, and took ownership of the issue. I am not getting the upload speed as I was told but they are still working on the provisioning of it. This was the first time they installed 100/50 in this area even though it is advertised heavily for months now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Post

February 3, 2015

Service went out on a Friday night but was up end of day Saturday. I was nervous that it happened close to a weekend since they don't work weekends.

I am still waiting for my line to be provisioned correct. My best speed tests around 9 am is 99down/25up. Typically when i am home in the afternoon it is 50-75down/10-20 up. The Techs and their supervisor have not seen these speeds (100/50) yet so we would be the first ones. We received the supervisor and his manager's number.

FIRST BILL

It was a bit of a shocker at ~$400. I was charged for a modem that i was told was required, but it was a router and if i had my own router theirs was not needed but they won't allow a return. My monthly amount i was quoted after auto-pay ($55.95) was not honored and they are charging me $91.90. There was a $30 one time charge I am still not sure why I was charged. My speeds are much less I was originally expecting. Also they sold me on unlike cable the speeds these won't fluctuate, but they do and much worse than when i had cable a few weeks ago. I am going to wait for the paper bill to arrive and call the retention department as the online support suggested, when they open during the day. At this point I am no longer a happy customer just getting setup but disappointed at what feels like to me as Bait and Switch. More details to follow...

3rd Post

February 7th

I was expecting to be billed ~$205 including tax, but was billed ~$144 more. Learned the $10 per month discount for signing up for auto-pay (actually $20 for prorate and next month on same bill) cant be used on first bill. Learned that the "modem" is actually a router and any router will work. $30 work order that was unexpected. When I asked if I could return the "modem", I was told no because I purchased it.

I spoke to customer service and they were shocked at the bill price and said they were "pissed off","mad", and ashamed of the company but ended the call due to closing for the night and said we will receive a call back within 3 business days. As the 30 day money back guarantee was ending soon I called back the next day during business hours and was transferred to escalations. They gave me a $101.90 credit but still about $42 shy from what was advertised but the rep didn't want to go into the details and calculate the tax. He also told me that I can return the "modem" at a store and receive the $99.99 back. I am going to wait until they fix my speed issues so they don't blame it on my router.

They currently are not honoring the promotion to me for $55.95 but are trying to get me to pay $91.90 or $111.90 a month, depending on who you talk to. The monthly rate is still being reviewed but I don't trust they will honor the price they offered me in writing.

It has been a month since install for them to work out the fluctuating and slower speeds so we called and a tech should be coming out next week to troubleshoot.

5 issues:

-Monthly Price – still investigating

-Return of unneeded modem (really router) – told to bring back to store

-$30 one time charge – credited back

-fluctuating speeds – waiting on tech

-First bill – partial credit, doesn't fully cover errors

4th Post

Feb 14th

Working with installations supervisor. He has stopped back late in the day and now can see the wide variance of speeds outside when plugged into the ONT. They have a call out to Calix (the manufacturer of the ONT) for assistance. That was on the 9th, today they looked at it again, and waiting to hear back from the supervisor. Really nice guy who who can reach on his work cell phone, unfortunately it is a flip phone so we can text him but its very challenging for him to text back. I m fine with a quick call if he has coverage. We found out CenturyLink only allocated 75mbit to the development (2 streets) and they bumped it up to 160. I am not sure how that would work with others with the 100/50 plan like me, and how i could test at 100mbit when the development was set at 75. Either way the speeds have been solid for days. So the service has been corrected but still working on getting my bill correct. The billing department didn't call me back like they said and neither did the escalations department.

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 0527.png

5th Post

February 17

Three days till bill is due and trying to get the bill straightened out. I returned the modem but they have never seen that model and would have to get a manager to approve the credit and they would call me back that day, but didn't happen. Billing was supposed to call me back from week before, gave them over a week, and they didn't call back. Lady at retail store was really nice but couldn't figure out how much I should be spending per month going forward, called another dept and they were supposed to reach out to the escalations guy (that didn't call me back previously) also and have him call me back that day, again no call. Waiting on modem/router credit, rate going forward, possible autopay credit once bill is corrected, and a host of no call backs.

6th Post

March 22

Modem has been credited to the account. Never actually found our rate going forward until I got the next bill. I never received the autopay credit on the first bill (which spanned 2 months or about $20) so I lost out on that but I am tired of going back and forth and getting no where. It looks like I am getting the autopay credit going forward. Service has been stable and my upload is more than advertised so I am happy that my service is what was advertised to me. My monthly bill is finally what I was advertised after a very confusing and hard fought process. They added weird discounts to my bill that I bet they will later revoke, so that has me uneasy. My neighbor this whole time(she was working with them since we started service too) has also been having problems getting the speed advertised and somehow she has been bumped down to the 10 mbps tier from the 100/50 tier and still having issues. I think she is ready to drop the service. I like the speed but I don't know if I would go through this process again and and i don't know how many of my neighbors would knowing all of this as they probably wouldn't have spent the time i did and just switched to a competitor. I am lastly waiting on the rebate card from CenturyLink and will update if that goes through. Initially they didn't have record of it.

Comments:

Rotonda West

@embarqhsd.net

Centurylink

The absolute worst company in the world of any business! Their service is only superseded why they're poor customer service and even worthless tech support. If you have not ordered this company save your money or you'll regret it! I have to post this from my iPhone by satellite because centurylink does not stay connected long enough to post this review!!!

Re: Centurylink

While we all really hate these guys, be happy you don't have sh*tty windstream. Now their really bad!

1 recommendation

Keep us posted!

Keep us posted on this issue!

I am looking at moving to a house where this service is offered, though in an ex-Qwest area, and it'll be interesting to see how it resolves.

I was quoted on their chat $91/mo for 100/50 on a residential plan, and was told that they don't have any bundles for the 100/50 service, though that was a few days ago. They didn't really make any promises about speed, but the chat was very brief, just long enough to verify that there was indeed fiber to the actual premises.

If nothing else, it is good to have it installed, even if you cancel the service, so that you can easily have it re-activated later on. Hopefully it's like FiOS in that once they wire it up, they just leave everything in and can turn it off and on at will. Of course, hopefully the engineered the service with enough ports, but since you already have it installed that's not your problem.

unhappy

@qwest.net

I am about to drop this useless company

Who has the time to call their internet provider every single day? Not me! Their services are really awful connection in an out. I cant check my email on my tablet if I am away from my router. When I called they said I had the correct speed but in three weeks their speed will also go up, i don't believe it! I am done! tech supports just tells you to reset the router every time you call for help, besides the long waits its seldom that a real person talks to you!

Review by akcowboy4 See Profile

• Location: Flagstaff,Coconino,AZ
Good "It isn't the cable company."
Bad "S---l---o---w, off shore support, never upgraded facilities"
Overall "Leaving for a local WiMax provider"

My cable companies (Suddenlink) node has been oversold since Fall of '14. The tech showed me the daily average usage graph, and it was saturated from 1600-0100 daily. I was getting monthly credits, and asked retention about getting a permanent discount. They said it was my home network that was the choke point. I have various Cisco certifications (CCN/DP), so I kinda doubt that.

After being insulted, I tried to go back to CenturyLink, I had 7/0.64 service with them until summer of '11 when their DSLAM hit saturation and was only getting 128k (!!!) at night. However in the last 3.5 years, there has been no upgrades to my area (Speeds up to 40 now offered in your area!* *May not be available in your area) and it actually went retrograde. Even though my pair can still train up at 7 (per line tech), the highest they offer now is 3, which after PPoE overhead and other traffic, only yields a nominally usable 2.4 connection. After dealing with the Phillipines who told me they don't offer that anymore in my area, the line tech who came out to check things said that my area isn't on the radar for any future work as the ROI isn't there (Im in a high density neighborhood of a regional university city of 65k). This is certainly not worth the regular price of $45 a month plus some bogus "Internet Cost Recovery Fee" (read: Profit).

My DSL CPE will randomly not authenticate for some unknown reason.

So long story short, my *Sprint* cell phone gives me better throughput, so after SpeedConnect gets me a static IP and my work VPN stays connected, I will be canceling CL within my 30 day trial period.

Comments:

SMCinAZ

Sprint?

bctrainers

join:2004-08-03
Olathe, KS

Re: Sprint?

When I was in Phoenix, AZ region this past year (Nov 2014), there was spotty 4G reception over the 1900MHz spectrum (Note2 at the time).

There is 4G, but it's definitely not widespread (or stable due to overload of connections(?)). When i was driving around on the highway loop (101 and i-10/17), I don't think I've ever seen my Note2 go absolutely crazy with the CDMA/eHRPD to LTE mode swapping.

I was only there for a week on a business trip, not enough time to spare for cell tower poking. The eHRPD/CDMA speeds were constant (and strong enough to cause SignalCheck Pro to bug-out), however it didn't help that my hotel room was about 350ft away from the cell tower, and on the same level as the antennas on the tower.

Sprint most defiantly has LTE in Arizona.

I used to work there so get a good "because you worked here" plan, and just keep it because of that, and while Phoenix surely still has spotty LTE it's way better than it was a year ago and covers I'd say about 85% of the area.

Re: Sprint?

Sprint doesn't even have 2G in my area! I tried it once and the speed was around 27k which is slower than dial up.

said by brad152:

NO WAY, even their own coverage maps say no 4G in AZ/

Re: Sprint?

The OpenSignal map shows some Sprint 4G in Phoenix and along I-40 in Flagstaff but the speed is only 4.66 Mbps and I don't know if that's accurate.

join:2007-05-22
No WiMAX ever in Arizona (to speak of), There is LTE.

Re: Sprint?

VERY VERY LITTLE LTE-it is not statewide or even city wide anywhere in the state.

said by SMCinAZ:

The last few months they've been on it as far as expanding LTE. in Phoenix I've went from getting hardly any LTE to LTE 85%+ of the time, and even been getting way more decent 25+Mbps Speedtests where my Verizon phone is stuck on B13 and getting barely 0.5Mbps

Re: Sprint?

They don't even list it on their site, and it is spotty at best. Absolutely 0 in Glendale.

said by brad152:

NO WAY, even their own coverage maps say no 4G in AZ/

As much as a Sprint hater as I am (I only keep them because of the super cheap plan I get from working there years ago - I still use T-Mobile/Verizon as my main carrier) they've gotten a ton better lately.

And their coverage map even now shows Spark around phoenix, so I'm not sure what you're looking at.

I just got back fro New Jersey a week ago and going around the valley I've regularly hit 25+Mbps on Sprint (just a few weeks ago I was hitting 3G a lot more - they've definitely decided to step up their game)

join:2007-05-22
Flagstaff has had soft LTE since last fall, and only recently have they officially turned it on citywide. My house is on the fringe of a few towers, so I have been using an Airrave to supplement my service with good success. Even on 3G though I could get a solid 3 Mbit downlink, still beating my CenturyLink DSL service.

Sprint is *FAR* from an ideal carrier, they had a nearly 10 year lead in developing a nationwide PCS network (Former GSM Sprint Spectrum subscriber here), but being on a 10 person 'Framily' group and able to roam on Big Red, its very palatable for $25 a month.
Expand your moderator at work

Address-Specific

Unfortunately here in town everything is still extremely specific. You can get 1.5M at one address (literally right on top of the DSLAM) and the next house down will get 40M out of a different DSLAM and SAI. (There's a pair of systems on the border between Shadow Mountain and Grandview Homes that is like this, for example.)

I used to live out in Bow and Arrow and got 20M and there was essentially never any congestion (except for, hilariously, when it was actually my own LAN causing the problem, which is possible if you're in a location where you can only get 896k up on a residential account.) In Shadow Mountain now on a system that can only sell 1.5m, but I'm moving out to Christmas Tree and they've qualified that area for 40/20.

What WISP are you using? The one I've seen in the area paradoxically will give you a static IP, and in the same breath explicitly disallows servers, at the same time as costing more than CL and using a dead-end technology.

Re: Address-Specific

Whoops, I just re-read. I haven't tried SpeedConnect. It looks like they're offering about 10m/2m, which is pretty interesting. It's not clear if it's WiMax (maybe even hanging off of the old Sprint WiMax system, which exists if you live close to the university ehre in town) or LTE, even though they're using the "4G" word.

I'd be super interested in reading the review once you have it set up.

Re: Address-Specific

I'm in Lower Greenlaw, the loops. Considering that CenturyLink can't give me any speed for their $45 a month (the same someone pays for 40/20), the $57 for 10/1 WiMAX isn't bad, and about what I was paying Suddenlink. The install tech said that NAZ is #3 or so for LTE migration, so who knows. I had to go with exterior mounted equipment, I will have to see if my HOA has kittens.

Prelims:
So far getting a consistent 5-7/1, bursts to 12 but that might be more due to my homeplugAV link to their CPE.
Motorola WiMAX CPE doesn't support bridging mode, i'm stuck with their 'router' and a DMZ for my Pepwave and Synology appliances.
Its taken over a week now to get a static IP (still no resolution).
All changes to the CPE router programming are supposed to go through SpeedConnect customer (non-)service (see above).
Ping times are 65-110ms, my Squid proxy helps to smooth some of that out.
Noticeable lag using my Ooma VoIP service, but still better than using Iridium or Globalstar. (Hello, Over; How are you, Over; etc...)
Airrave appears to also have some issues with the lag.
Outbound VPN seems to stay trained up, ping times seem better when connected [Empirically derived]
Haven't been able to do much with inbound VPN due to the lack of a static IP and being double-NAT'ed make DDNS more of a challenge.

Other than the lack support so far, its been ok. We're 60% sold, but if CenturyLink came back and said we could get a steady 7Mbit connection we'd stay with CL. Suddenlink? I'm back to thinking cable companies are evil.

Re: Address-Specific

40/20 is waaaay more than $45. Over in Bow and Arrow, I was paying $76 or so for 20m/896k and one static, after the promo. $45 will get you 1.5m and a static though, which is what I have.

Unfortunately I have yet to live anywhere in town where Suddenlink wasn't horrifically oversold and physically unreliable to boot. I've always had good luck with my CL connection, or good luck getting them to fix it. THe problem is probably the same I'm having up in Shadow Mountain -- there's just not enough backhaul to whatever system serves your particular address.

When you have the service longer, it'll be interesting to see a follow-up. It'll of course be interesting to see if/when CL upgrades service in that area. I've seen a few of those Verizon 4gLTE can antennas in that overall area of town.

Aside.

Aside: From my p.o.v. the conversation here pretty much proves what I have been saying all along. In rural/isolated America neither a phone, a cable, or a cell phone provider does a good job of providing quality or even enough cell towers along our National Interstate Highway System to make a real difference.

We tire of being told YOUR problem is in our house when YOU are oversold, or you don't have enough backhaul, and your old rack equipment is failing. We pay far too much to national companies who only want to service compact areas with dense population (such as Chicago and Cook County) in protected territory.

These are the same companies who rigorously fight Muni broadband in areas they refuse to serve. OTOH extending that last mile of copper an additional 10 miles in farm country is a pipe dream that is not even financially feasible. Maybe the solution for all is to defeat protection-ism and make all duopolies transparent. After all, most cable is served up by a telephone company over telephone company owned lines up to the cable. .

I often wonder how many of these corporate CEOs really understand the importance of GPS in farming? Or the many other untapped possibilities not found in a city?

Re: Aside.

But linicx, the poster of this review lives in the same city I do. Like, I'd guess that they live less than two miles away from where I am with my 1.5 megabit service. If my local terminology is correct, they live in a townhome development from the mid 1990s.

How is farming relevant to this review?

Re: Aside.

GPS, old equipmen and all rural areas - are all relevant to residents. If you depend on GPS you want it to work. These systems can tell farmers which crop to plant where and how via computer- presuming they can get an internet signal.

I last saw 1.5 down in 2000. I paid $20 per month and I was less than 6 blocks from AT&T plant. Prior to that I used a 55k dialup service in NE OK for which I paid $20. I was out in the country 3-4 miles from the server, but I could still pull a solid 48K most of the time.

AT&T, VZ, and Cox dumped their small and mid-markets nationwide 1999-2000 in favor of the larger cities with density. But none dumped the mid-markets in SoCal as many of those communities are densely populated at 100000 or more. Most telephone companies consider 50,000 too small even with colleges of 20000 students. Trader Joe's will not go into any area less than 1,000,000. It is only recently that Costco started to build in communities of 100000.

After the mass dump, Suddenlink and Frontier emerged while Century Telephone morphed into CenturyLink. Unfortunately CL is like the others. It does not have a great interest in small areas, or areas where population is not dense. It will not update these areas, it will continue to find excuses to avoid providing a useable wired line phone, and speedy internet.

The telephone companies know how to configure their equipment so that VoIP doesn't work well. Why? Because they want to upsell a different product with a larger return. My experience with a phone company provided VoIP unit is as follows: 4/1 = drek. 10/2 = nearly flawless but the cost tripled. Since I already have a CL provided DSL phone line to the house that only works well 50% of the time, the odds of something like Skype or Oomla working well are not very good. When CL on target it is awesome, but when it is not, it is awful.

Review by bmccoy See Profile

• Location: Port Orchard,Kitsap,WA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Decent technical support"
Bad "Slow"
Overall "Duopoly"

·Wave Broadband
Removed original review, since it's irrelevant now. I'll keep a few parts that are still relevant -

Their technical support tries to upsell you more services when the services you already have don't work.

When I first got Qwest internet sometime around 2007, Qwest told me a fiber line would be going in that summer and faster speeds would be available.

I switched to cable internet, and it's much better. Phone quality is better, internet is way faster with lower pings, with less taxes and hidden fees.

Centurylink wanted to make it as hard as possible to cancel, so we had to sit on the phone for 40 minutes with them (35 minutes on hold). I was DONE with them as soon as they raised their rates, AGAIN, adding another fee, called "Universal Service Fund", which is supposedly to "improve their infrastructure", while I haven't seen them doing anything but getting worse. It's another hidden fee allowed by the FCC for corporations to make more profit. I'm glad I got rid of them.

3/9/2015: After more than a decade of subpar 1.5Mbps service, CenturyLink now offers 20Mbps in my area after finally replacing my old T1 fed DSLAM with a fiber fed DSLAM - but it's still capped at 250GB, and it's not as fast as my current ISP's 55Mbps service with a 300GB cap. I'm not going back to CenturyStink until they start offering gigabit (which, at this rate of upgrading, will not happen for another decade or two.)

member for 2 years, 748 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Rob_
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Can you get cable

I'd dump them for cable, Centurylink is horrible. $125.00 is rather steep when you can get Vonage for $12.12 for unlimited North American calling.. (Vonage basic)

If you go to www.whitefence.com you can see what's available in your area.

-Rob

jdb

@centurytel.net

Re: Can you get cable

But with vonage you still need internet access separately. They 'forget' to tell you that...

Re: Can you get cable

And, also, you need a RELIABLE and FAST connection for VoIP, so that would be impossible to use on C/L 1.5.

jdb

@centurytel.net
heh-whitefence shows only century and hughesnet-lol

1 recommendation

Whitefence.com is nothing but an ad for HughesNet, that's the only thing that always come up and everyone knows it's terrible! C/L is great here but it depends on your location.

Port Orchard, WA
Yep, switching to cable (Wave Broadband), sometime in the next couple weeks.

Re: Can you get cable

BMcCoy, you are going to have even worse problems with cable! They will keep raising the rates every year or maybe every 6 months and will keep doing it even if they can't provide service, until you get disgusted and cancel.
CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

We Can Help

Hi bmccoy, my name is Joey and I'm with the @CenturyLinkHelp team. We want to help look into this for you. We can check to see if there are upgrades scheduled that would allow faster speeds for your DSL service. We can also look at your account pricing since it seems to be a bit high assuming it's a residential connection. We may have a better deal we can offer you. Contact us at TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com. Thanks.

Joey H
@CenturyLinkHelp Team
TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com

Jeanette

@charter.com

Century Link Fraud

We were bundled with Quest since 2005, then Quest sold out to Century Link. During the time we were bundled with Quest and had moved to WA state we noticed a charge on our acct by MSN. We have never used MSN so I called both MSN and Quest and found out that were had been paying for service we had not received. Quest refunded our money for the 18 months that we had payed for. Recently I decided to change to Cable, since our bundle had increased in price over the years. When I printed out our Century link bill, I noticed a charge of 18.95 for MSN on our acct. I notified MSN and was told that it had been happening a lot and they gave me a claim number and I was told that someone would call me. Well after 2 weeks of going back and forth between Century Link and MSN, I am told that neither can refund my money. I had been charged for MSN since Nov 2010.

Re: Century Link Fraud

Jeanette, why didn't you keep track of what you were paying? If you are a sucker then everyone will take advantage of you!

Online again

@clearwire-wmx.net

Qwest/Century Link

I went with qwest/century link 10+ yrs ago, and just last yr. NEVER AGAIN!. Poor speed for price, over-billing, mixed up billing, runarounds, > Collections. Period!. INCOMPETENT!.
They should have their corp. charter revoked.

Re: Qwest/Century Link

Online again, you can't make blanket statements like that. Here in AZ cable is terrible but C/L is reasonably priced and works great after they installed fiber near me so it depends on your location.

Location

Location is everything. If you truly want screaming fast Internet and you are willing to pay for it then move to NYC, Chicago, or LA where you can find 100Mbps or faster- if you are in the right neighborhood. LV will get you 45Mbps if you are in the right location. It should be pretty fast in the alpha cities of SF and Denver - if you are in the right location.

Trying to define rural America is much like trying to herd cats. It's different for everyone. I am rural. I am 160 miles from a large city (million or over population). I've lived in this environment in three states. Areas with less than 500000 don't gain traction with second tier telephone and cable companies. Generally you don't find AT&T or Comcast unless there is a college with 20,000+ students, or there is a large medical/research district and large corporations like State Farm or CAT. Location and volume density is where IT'S at.

FIOS, DSL, 2.5 all have limitations. The screaming fast satellite? The most expensive plan is equal to about 5Mbps in the right location. What they don't tell you is the 4 they promote is over 2.5 and it still has to travel 22,000 miles unless there is a physical building on earth. There is one in the U.S. for Direct TV customers.

Most rural is delivered over copper. The DSL limit over copper is about 7-8/1 because of overhead and the Last Mile. After you pass the mile, speed slows. The farther out, the slower the speed. It is a fact of life; ask any EE. No telco is going to bring FTTH or FTTN to a town of 2000 - even when it is in the local office. It is doubtful that bonded DSL will happen. If you have a reliable phone and steady Internet be happy. If you don't, the phone company can fix it providing your inside wiring is good, there is no problem from the source to your house, and your equipment plays nice with the telco equipment. More often than not it doesn't. Frequent interruptions and rebooting is a red flag. I replaced 5 routers before I found one that worked.

How does telco explain to you your new D-Link router isn't working properly when you know it is? My engineer friend sent me a couple of routers that worked perfectly in Dallas on AT&T and TW. Both were useless on CL where I live in the middle of nowhere. CL 7/1 is faster than AT&T in the three counties that surround me. Comcast is not any faster. It is rural and they all have the same problems with copper and towns that are 10 to 20 miles apart. The fastest business where I live is 15/5 from cable an it is about $175 with tax. I pay $100 less for 7/1 and 5 year lock. It is a major improvement over 4/1. It is steady an the phone is 98% reliable all the time.

Re: Location

I've switched to cable and have been a mostly happy customer ever since. I'm lucky to have a local ISP, and I signed up for the 15/2 plan last year. They now are upgrading their max speeds to 110/10, and upgrading my plan to 55/5 for free.
You're definitely correct, location is what really matters.
The reason your modem probably didn't work is because CenturyLink uses VDSL in most areas (I happen to still have ADSL), so you need a VDSL compatible modem.

Re: Location

As far as I know it is is still ADSL (7/1; it was 4/1) I live in a Faraday's Cage. After the D-Link and the others that only worked for a few weeks each, I bought a ASUS plug n play N router when they first came out. They upgraded modem to Zxytel. No problems since.

I am glad someone understands this because I surely do not. Thank you very much.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

said by ArizonaSteve:

said by ArizonaSteve:

So the first quote you make an obviously "blanket statement" as you call it. Then in the second quote you call someone else out for doing as you do. What gives Steve?

Re: Location

Cable companies are known for consistent price hikes, even with diminished service (Cox is the main provider in Phoenix metro, and they're terrible for that)

Qwest/US West put FTTN pretty much everywhere here, so CenturyLink's network here is way better than anything Cox could offer a majority of the time.

Although, i've had Insight (best cable co i've ever had), Time Warner, WOW!, Comcast, and Cox and have had the cable internet issues that he's describing on pretty much all of them (except Insight - RIP), and even if you happen to look at cable internet reviews it says pretty much the same thing.

Re: Location

Again, it depends on your location. I happen to have a local cable ISP where I live, and its internet speeds are much better. 110/10 is the highest tier I can get with my new ISP.

Re: Location

Well here we can get 150/30 from Cox, but CenturyLink also offers 100/40 through pair bonding here if you're close enough to the box.

Cable still generally has congestion issues for many people (especially on systems the cable operator opted to go SDV instead of just doing a plant upgrade to 1GHz)

The only way any ISP should be going at this point is just fiber to the home, but until forced to provide reliable internet service through a common carrier law nothing is going to be done.

Re: Location

I've been using cable for over a year now and have had no congestion issues at all. ArizonaSteve was wrong, it's been around 14 months since I've switched and I was able to get my 12-month promotion renewed for free with my rates staying the same. As I've said before, I'm never switching back until CenturyLink decides to stop severely neglecting their rural customers.

Re: Location

Arizona Steve's assessment may be correct in his area, and your assessment may be just as correct in your area.

In my area neither CL or the local cable WILL provide enough affordable uplink for a reliable VoIP connection. I need a house phone for medical. My only choice is CL's version of DSL over copper that pretends to be POTS except when it is raining, when it is windy, and when some dummy screws up circuits. Trying to convince CL - that never EVER admits to any service related issues - is like trying to backstroke up Niagarah Falls. Here an example.

Yesterday I needed to contact my bank 60 miles away. Fast busy signal. My EE in TX had no trouble calling. The CL executive level employee in CA had no trouble with it. A CL suit was arguing with me until I forced him to listen while a state employee in my house made the call on her cell phone. He heard the bank recording. Only then was my phone fixed.

It took about an hour of my time to convince CL once again the phone does not work properly as promised. This will be a continuing problem in tiny place rural America -- the last town on earth CL wants to service. I will continue to hold their feet on the fire because nothing else works as well as CLs sloppy DSL over copper. Our plant has a 100Mbps "through put" yet only 1.5 is provided outside our tiny town of 2000. There will never be a FTTN or FTTH here because CL does not have to provide any service except a wireline. There is no money in it.
CL does not compete with its sister phone/cable company that shares the same office and same fiber.

My two house phones cost nearly $200 each, and the handicap phone is $400. I have the right equipment for every phone company in America.

Emp

@75.161.160.x
Actually fiber is set out on a grid grid system, back and forth. So your neighbor across the street could be on the right side side and get a 40mb while it loops back around towards you miles down and you only get a 7mb.

Goose15t

@76.1.0.x

Worst customer service ever!

I have century link and it is by far the worst customer service i have had with anything in my life. I have had bad waitresses but they have never been as bad as the service i get from Century Link. I call to upgrade my internet speed and get lied to about what speeds i am suppose to get and what speeds I can upgrade to as far as upload speed. I get it worked out and someone comes to my house to pre-setup for the upgrade. The guy cut my wire to install the new one and had no intention of installing it for me to have internet that day. I was lucky enough that I was present to ask him and make sure I still had internet. He got it back connected but I had to suffer for over a day of less then 1mbps of download and less then .1mbps of upload which is possibly taking you back to the early years of internet. They tried to give me the run around to get that issue fixed, and to top it all off my upgrade was scheduled to be done for today Feb 13th 2014. So I called to confirm a timeframe they were going to be at my house and the response was they scheduled it for the 18th now. When I talked to a supervisor she told me that nothing could be done and that they probably will not be able to install until the end of the month and that the 18th is only a tentative date now. Immediatly i told them I am looking for a new internet service and that I will call them when I have one and will be canceling their services. I recommend that no one I MEAN NO ONE get their internet services at all. It expensive and a huge waste of money.

·Wave Broadband

Re: Worst customer service ever!

100.00 a month for telephone service and 1.5Mbps DSL is a total rip off, IMO. I'm now paying 124.00 a month for much more reliable internet, phone, and even TV. I'm never going back unless CenturyLink makes some huge changes or starts providing FTTH.

I do.

My Dec 6.0 portable house phones cost nearly $200 each, and the Geemark handicap phone was $400. I have the right equipment that should work on every phone company wire line in America. CL is one of the national phone companies that support this service. Everyone I talked to at CL denies knowledge of this service that is promoted by nearly every telephone company in America. Oh, Century Link sings its praises on paper all right, but it does it not support it in my home where I actually need it the most.

Re: I do.

Why wouldn't CenturyLink support an amplified corded phone? It doesn't require anything but a dialtone for it to work.

Re: I do.

Let me say this before I launch into any conversation. I am by legal definition blind and deaf. However, I can see to function inside my own house, and I can hear some sounds without my aids. I have a 30" monitor and I use 16 or 18pt font to communicate with you.
# # #
The only thing that makes any sense to me is related to the wireline. It is not POTS. I recently read it is called something similar to icdsl. I was told when I received the G last year that it could only be used on POTS, and it had to be the only working phone in the house. I went ahead and took it because some one at CL insisted if the signal came into the house over the copper it was POTS.

So I removed the wired phone in the basement and two Panasonic Dec 6.0 systems that power my 5 portable phones only to learn the G still doesn't work. I should add I can only use the 6.0 phones with the "speaker on" feature enabled. I cannot hear over most standard house phones or cell phones without a lot of difficulty. .

It is a wash to attempt to talk to anyone at CL about the phone they allegedly support.

"We don't support that."
"What don't you support?"
"That thing you are talking about."
"Oh, since you do not know what it is, you are positive Century Link does not support it?"
"Thats right."
Click. I've done the dance with CL's CSR desk numerous time, and the Executive Level several times. In every case they deny knowledge.

I do have a cumbersome Blue Parrott headset that works over Bluetooth I can use if I need private conversation. Otherwise service people in my house also hear it.

To say it is a challenge is an understatement.

Re: I do.

You might want to post this in the CenturyLink forum, there's nothing I can do to help you

Re: I do.

I appreciate your interest. I don't think anyone can help until I find one person who actually understands that I have a problem with my amplified corded phone. It appears I do not properly articulate the idea that I have a *service phone for deaf* that "DOES NOT WORK at home" -- clearly enough that someone (anyone) at Century Link will call.

Review by CSClassical See Profile

• Location: Colorado Springs,El Paso,CO
  • Telco party Qwest

Using CenturyLink broadband at home via wireless router.

Only real complaint about this service is that it and/or the modem drop connectivity from time-to-time, mostly during daytime hours. Power-cycling modem seems to solve the problem but it's a pain to have to do it.

Comments:

Jen

@myvzw.com

internet

this is the worst service ever!!! Two days and my internet won't connect. The password that was given to us won't work. I will never recommend century link to anyone. I already changed my tv service, soon it'll be my internet service too.

·TracFone Wireless

I too have home broadband

My CL modem includes a router that seems to be wireless by default. I don't know if this will help or not.

I need the phone worse than I do the Internet . When I first signed up I had the same problem as you. I rebooted and finally replaced routers twice a year until I found ASUS N Router, and CL was forced to install a whole house filter because the phone behaved so badly. I have had little reason to reboot or complain in the last 18n months. I concluded that CL systems does not always play nicely with all user electronics.

Review by greatshow09 See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "It's an ok buy. 30 bucks for 40/5"
Bad "Customer service is almost useless and speeds are slow. ETF"
Overall "If you want a cheap ISP in a metro area and can compromise for slow speeds.."

Before CL came along we didn't even have ADSL+ or VDSL yet... Yeah, it was really slow (12mbps).

Fastforward to 2014, we're now the only ones on our block that has fiber, especially from CL. Even so, the speeds are not fiber speeds. There less than 100mbps infact. We currently have the 40/5 plan and I usually average around 35/3, thanks mostly impart to the fact we bought a $200 router and also have a CellSpot. Experiences with these guys aren't really that good. Infact they were so bad we went through over five modems, all of which were crappy zyxel and actiontec modems. Glad that's over with.. The customer service with these guys is a bunch of retards, they are nice but really don't know how to do their jobs (well at least they'd never call me an assh*** on my bill. so that's something). I've heard in some areas these guys have really overpriced archaic speeds. So, in that case just go to someone else. Just in general if you don't have fiber don't bother staying cause the experience really does suck. Also, dont think they don't have ETFs -they do and there huge. I know this is probably the worst review ever, but it's my way of looking at it.

Comments:

Review by Sportsfan See Profile

• Location: Tucson,Pima,AZ
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Speeds are better than advertised. Service has been reliable so far."
Bad "Internet Basics pricing is for a limited time."
Overall "Very good value for Lifeline-qualified customers."

I was still using 56k dial-up when I found out about Internet Basics, a program for low-income/disabled customers, through a well-hidden link on the Qwest website. I applied and was approved the same week (March 2012). Service was initiated in three days. I was pleasantly surprised to get consistent speeds of 1280/720 with the company-provided ZyXEL PK5000Z modem (advertised speed "up to" 1.5 Mb down). Setup was easy, even for me as a first-time DSL user. Total price will go up to $21.90 in month 13, and special pricing will end after month 60.

Edit: Soon after I posted this review, I began having frequent modem reboots and connection drops after four months of excellent service. I will report back if anything changes.

Second Edit (Oct. 2012): The modem drops stopped around the end of August, causing me to think it was the lightning issue others had reported, but another modem drop occurred today (a clear evening w/ cool temperatures), so the modem itself appears to be the issue, as noted by a commenter.

Updated (July 2014): Price is now $21.90 per month as agreed in contract. Previous modem was replaced by CL, solving disconnection problems. Download speed was increased to 1.8 Mb a few months ago at no additional charge to customer.

Comments:

pcopsey

PK5000

The pk5000 series routers are trash... just do a search on them and you will find that the actiontec and the zyxel both have the same consistent problems of resetting constantly.

Sadly thats all the centurylink offers right now. You can purchase your own but lose any real tech support and if it dies your on your own again.

Only 1.8mbps?

That's it. There's gotta be a competitor or something better than that. I have 40 and thats slow enough..

Not Minnesota

CL has a footprint in 38 states. The services offered by CL are not always the same across all states, regions or areas of the US. Be glad you have your 40. CL does not generally offer more than 1 with overhead in most DSL areas. I know. I am in one of the 10/1 areas and I am thrilled.