CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by bmccoy See Profile

• Location: Port Orchard,Kitsap,WA
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Decent technical support"
Bad "Slow, unreliable, overpriced, false advertising, neglected network, low (and sneaky) caps"
Overall "VERY slow speeds, and outrageous prices. If you are lucky enough to have a different option, go with it."

·Wave Broadband
I have Centurylink DSL (formerly Qwest) and unlimited nationwide calling, and it costs (after taxes) exactly $98.06 a month. The main problem I have with them is that only 1.5Mbps is available where I live, because they don't want to bother upgrading any of their 90's-era equipment installed by US West and/or install a remote DSLAM. When I got this service many years ago, I was promised that they would be upgrading their equipment to get faster speeds that summer. It's been over 7 years now, and they haven't changed a thing.

UPDATE: Still no upgrades planned, according to Doug Morgan from TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com, so I will be switching to 55Mbps Wave Broadband for faster speeds and TV, while paying the same amount of money. (120.00-month for phone, internet, and basic HDTV)

After complaining to Centurylink for my internet repeatedly dropping out every 10 minutes a few months ago (fixed now), he tried to upsell me DirecTV.

UPDATE 7/9/13:

I switched to cable internet, and it's much better. Phone quality is better, internet is around 13 times faster, with less taxes and hidden fees.

Centurylink wanted to make it as hard as possible to cancel, so we had to sit on the phone for 40 minutes with them (35 minutes on hold). I was DONE with them as soon as they raised their rates, AGAIN, adding another fee, called "Universal service fund", which is supposedly to "improve their infrastructure", while I haven't seen them doing anything but getting worse. It's another hidden fee allowed by the FCC for corporations to make more profit. I'm glad I got rid of them.

**6/27/2014**

It seems that CenturyLink has finally started offering 7Mbps in my area, but there's still no way I'm switching back.

Speed test (hey, an F+ is better than an F!):

member for 1.3 years, 344 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Rob_
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Can you get cable

I'd dump them for cable, Centurylink is horrible. $125.00 is rather steep when you can get Vonage for $12.12 for unlimited North American calling.. (Vonage basic)

If you go to www.whitefence.com you can see what's available in your area.

-Rob

jdb

@centurytel.net

Re: Can you get cable

But with vonage you still need internet access separately. They 'forget' to tell you that...

Re: Can you get cable

And, also, you need a RELIABLE and FAST connection for VoIP, so that would be impossible to use on C/L 1.5.

jdb

@centurytel.net
heh-whitefence shows only century and hughesnet-lol

Apache Junction, AZ
Whitefence.com is nothing but an ad for HughesNet, that's the only thing that always come up and everyone knows it's terrible! C/L is great here but it depends on your location.

Port Orchard, WA
Yep, switching to cable (Wave Broadband), sometime in the next couple weeks.

Re: Can you get cable

BMcCoy, you are going to have even worse problems with cable! They will keep raising the rates every year or maybe every 6 months and will keep doing it even if they can't provide service, until you get disgusted and cancel.
CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

We Can Help

Hi bmccoy, my name is Joey and I'm with the @CenturyLinkHelp team. We want to help look into this for you. We can check to see if there are upgrades scheduled that would allow faster speeds for your DSL service. We can also look at your account pricing since it seems to be a bit high assuming it's a residential connection. We may have a better deal we can offer you. Contact us at TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com. Thanks.

Joey H
@CenturyLinkHelp Team
TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com

Jeanette

@charter.com

Century Link Fraud

We were bundled with Quest since 2005, then Quest sold out to Century Link. During the time we were bundled with Quest and had moved to WA state we noticed a charge on our acct by MSN. We have never used MSN so I called both MSN and Quest and found out that were had been paying for service we had not received. Quest refunded our money for the 18 months that we had payed for. Recently I decided to change to Cable, since our bundle had increased in price over the years. When I printed out our Century link bill, I noticed a charge of 18.95 for MSN on our acct. I notified MSN and was told that it had been happening a lot and they gave me a claim number and I was told that someone would call me. Well after 2 weeks of going back and forth between Century Link and MSN, I am told that neither can refund my money. I had been charged for MSN since Nov 2010.

Re: Century Link Fraud

Jeanette, why didn't you keep track of what you were paying? If you are a sucker then everyone will take advantage of you!

Online again

@clearwire-wmx.net

Qwest/Century Link

I went with qwest/century link 10+ yrs ago, and just last yr. NEVER AGAIN!. Poor speed for price, over-billing, mixed up billing, runarounds, > Collections. Period!. INCOMPETENT!.
They should have their corp. charter revoked.

Re: Qwest/Century Link

Online again, you can't make blanket statements like that. Here in AZ cable is terrible but C/L is reasonably priced and works great after they installed fiber near me so it depends on your location.

Location

Location is everything. If you truly want screaming fast Internet and you are willing to pay for it then move to NYC, Chicago, or LA where you can find 100Mbps or faster- if you are in the right neighborhood. LV will get you 45Mbps if you are in the right location. It should be pretty fast in the alpha cities of SF and Denver - if you are in the right location.

Trying to define rural America is much like trying to herd cats. It's different for everyone. I am rural. I am 160 miles from a large city (million or over population). I've lived in this environment in three states. Areas with less than 500000 don't gain traction with second tier telephone and cable companies. Generally you don't find AT&T or Comcast unless there is a college with 20,000+ students, or there is a large medical/research district and large corporations like State Farm or CAT. Location and volume density is where IT'S at.

FIOS, DSL, 2.5 all have limitations. The screaming fast satellite? The most expensive plan is equal to about 5Mbps in the right location. What they don't tell you is the 4 they promote is over 2.5 and it still has to travel 22,000 miles unless there is a physical building on earth. There is one in the U.S. for Direct TV customers.

Most rural is delivered over copper. The DSL limit over copper is about 7-8/1 because of overhead and the Last Mile. After you pass the mile, speed slows. The farther out, the slower the speed. It is a fact of life; ask any EE. No telco is going to bring FTTH or FTTN to a town of 2000 - even when it is in the local office. It is doubtful that bonded DSL will happen. If you have a reliable phone and steady Internet be happy. If you don't, the phone company can fix it providing your inside wiring is good, there is no problem from the source to your house, and your equipment plays nice with the telco equipment. More often than not it doesn't. Frequent interruptions and rebooting is a red flag. I replaced 5 routers before I found one that worked.

How does telco explain to you your new D-Link router isn't working properly when you know it is? My engineer friend sent me a couple of routers that worked perfectly in Dallas on AT&T and TW. Both were useless on CL where I live in the middle of nowhere. CL 7/1 is faster than AT&T in the three counties that surround me. Comcast is not any faster. It is rural and they all have the same problems with copper and towns that are 10 to 20 miles apart. The fastest business where I live is 15/5 from cable an it is about $175 with tax. I pay $100 less for 7/1 and 5 year lock. It is a major improvement over 4/1. It is steady an the phone is 98% reliable all the time.

Re: Location

I've switched to cable and have been a mostly happy customer ever since. I'm lucky to have a local ISP, and I signed up for the 15/2 plan last year. They now are upgrading their max speeds to 110/10, and upgrading my plan to 55/5 for free.
You're definitely correct, location is what really matters.
The reason your modem probably didn't work is because CenturyLink uses VDSL in most areas (I happen to still have ADSL), so you need a VDSL compatible modem.

Re: Location

As far as I know it is is still ADSL (7/1; it was 4/1) I live in a Faraday's Cage. After the D-Link and the others that only worked for a few weeks each, I bought a ASUS plug n play N router when they first came out. They upgraded modem to Zxytel. No problems since.

I am glad someone understands this because I surely do not. Thank you very much.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

said by ArizonaSteve:

said by ArizonaSteve:

So the first quote you make an obviously "blanket statement" as you call it. Then in the second quote you call someone else out for doing as you do. What gives Steve?
brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ

Re: Location

Cable companies are known for consistent price hikes, even with diminished service (Cox is the main provider in Phoenix metro, and they're terrible for that)

Qwest/US West put FTTN pretty much everywhere here, so CenturyLink's network here is way better than anything Cox could offer a majority of the time.

Although, i've had Insight (best cable co i've ever had), Time Warner, WOW!, Comcast, and Cox and have had the cable internet issues that he's describing on pretty much all of them (except Insight - RIP), and even if you happen to look at cable internet reviews it says pretty much the same thing.

Re: Location

Again, it depends on your location. I happen to have a local cable ISP where I live, and its internet speeds are much better. 110/10 is the highest tier I can get with my new ISP.
brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ

Re: Location

Well here we can get 150/30 from Cox, but CenturyLink also offers 100/40 through pair bonding here if you're close enough to the box.

Cable still generally has congestion issues for many people (especially on systems the cable operator opted to go SDV instead of just doing a plant upgrade to 1GHz)

The only way any ISP should be going at this point is just fiber to the home, but until forced to provide reliable internet service through a common carrier law nothing is going to be done.

Re: Location

I've been using cable for over a year now and have had no congestion issues at all. ArizonaSteve was wrong, it's been around 14 months since I've switched and I was able to get my 12-month promotion renewed for free with my rates staying the same. As I've said before, I'm never switching back until CenturyLink decides to stop severely neglecting their rural customers.

Re: Location

Arizona Steve's assessment may be correct in his area, and your assessment may be just as correct in your area.

In my area neither CL or the local cable WILL provide enough affordable uplink for a reliable VoIP connection. I need a house phone for medical. My only choice is CL's version of DSL over copper that pretends to be POTS except when it is raining, when it is windy, and when some dummy screws up circuits. Trying to convince CL - that never EVER admits to any service related issues - is like trying to backstroke up Niagarah Falls. Here an example.

Yesterday I needed to contact my bank 60 miles away. Fast busy signal. My EE in TX had no trouble calling. The CL executive level employee in CA had no trouble with it. A CL suit was arguing with me until I forced him to listen while a state employee in my house made the call on her cell phone. He heard the bank recording. Only then was my phone fixed.

It took about an hour of my time to convince CL once again the phone does not work properly as promised. This will be a continuing problem in tiny place rural America -- the last town on earth CL wants to service. I will continue to hold their feet on the fire because nothing else works as well as CLs sloppy DSL over copper. Our plant has a 100Mbps "through put" yet only 1.5 is provided outside our tiny town of 2000. There will never be a FTTN or FTTH here because CL does not have to provide any service except a wireline. There is no money in it.
CL does not compete with its sister phone/cable company that shares the same office and same fiber.

My two house phones cost nearly $200 each, and the handicap phone is $400. I have the right equipment for every phone company in America.

Emp

@75.161.160.x
Actually fiber is set out on a grid grid system, back and forth. So your neighbor across the street could be on the right side side and get a 40mb while it loops back around towards you miles down and you only get a 7mb.

Goose15t

@76.1.0.x

Worst customer service ever!

I have century link and it is by far the worst customer service i have had with anything in my life. I have had bad waitresses but they have never been as bad as the service i get from Century Link. I call to upgrade my internet speed and get lied to about what speeds i am suppose to get and what speeds I can upgrade to as far as upload speed. I get it worked out and someone comes to my house to pre-setup for the upgrade. The guy cut my wire to install the new one and had no intention of installing it for me to have internet that day. I was lucky enough that I was present to ask him and make sure I still had internet. He got it back connected but I had to suffer for over a day of less then 1mbps of download and less then .1mbps of upload which is possibly taking you back to the early years of internet. They tried to give me the run around to get that issue fixed, and to top it all off my upgrade was scheduled to be done for today Feb 13th 2014. So I called to confirm a timeframe they were going to be at my house and the response was they scheduled it for the 18th now. When I talked to a supervisor she told me that nothing could be done and that they probably will not be able to install until the end of the month and that the 18th is only a tentative date now. Immediatly i told them I am looking for a new internet service and that I will call them when I have one and will be canceling their services. I recommend that no one I MEAN NO ONE get their internet services at all. It expensive and a huge waste of money.

·Wave Broadband

Re: Worst customer service ever!

100.00 a month for telephone service and 1.5Mbps DSL is a total rip off, IMO. I'm now paying 124.00 a month for much more reliable internet, phone, and even TV. I'm never going back unless CenturyLink makes some huge changes or starts providing FTTH.

Review by TechMike See Profile

• Location: Denver,Jefferson,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Static IPs for residential (optional). Tech Support is decent"
Bad "Customer service only available 8-6 M-F, unless ordering new service or tech support. Poor connection with 40/5 service"
Overall "Decent service for VDSL2. Higher speeds can be problematic."

I live in former Qwest territory with VDSL2. According to CenturyLink, we can get speeds up to 40/5. I signed up for the 40/5 service on a 29.99/mo promotion for 12 months with a 12 month contract.

I formerly had the 12/5 service and had absolutely no problems. This time around, however, I've had some poor connection reliability with the 40/5 service.

After a couple months of service, our modem retrained at 25/3. Tech support said this was due to excessive errors on our line. A technician came out, and performed maintenance on the 'F2'. After that, the modem reconnected at 40/5. There's been quite a few errors on the line and at least one retrain in the last 48 hours. After a couple weeks, I'll see how bad the service is and potentially call a technician out again.

*UPDATE: It is now a week later and we've had continuous errors, excessive line noise, and repeated retrains for 24 hours. CenturyLink scheduled a tech to come out in a week. I'm a little perturbed at this point.

*UPDATE2: Our line has been tremendously solid for the past day or so. I suspect work was done, possibly not related to my connection, but happened to resolve the issue.

member for 6.1 years, 160 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

TheTruth

@97.116.26.x

Tell me about it 40/5 sucks

We're lucky get 20mbps with their 40mbps service. We had nearly a billion calls to these guys and five modems. Tech support cares about you but sucks at their jobs. Qwest spent 2 days installing our internet. CL didn't give a crap. We ended up buying a 200 dollar router which helped a lot, then swiched to Comcast. Only thing we're gonna miss is not having robot staff as support.
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Re: Tell me about it 40/5 sucks

Had Centurynolink for less than 30 days.. 7 meg download was lucky to hit 1 meg..

40/5 Sucky

Try getting a good router. We went through several modems, however a high grade router did a good job.

Review by IT Guy See Profile

• Location: Las Cruces,Dona Ana,NM
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Cheaper than alternative with new customer, 1 year commitment"
Bad "I'm only getting 2 Mbps down on what should be 40 Mbps Connection"
Overall "CenturyLink has terrible customer service and their DSL reliability is garbage"

I had signed up with CenturyLink's 40/5 Mbps plan back in January 2014 to escape the ever-increasing cost of Comcast's service which was now costing me around $80 /mo for half the bandwidth offered by CenturyLink. When I first had my CenturyLink service installed, I had tested the connection through speedtest.net and was receiving anywhere from 12 - 25 Mbps, still well under the advertised 40 Mbps, even taking into consideration the 15% overhead for routing as stated on their Web page, but it was acceptable to me. But here I am now, nearly 6 months into my service and I am lucky if I get 2.5 Mbps down now for several weeks. I have contacted support about it, stating nothing has changed on my premises, but I had noticed one of their small, 3' tall cabinets on the inlet street, only about maybe 10 yards from my house, is exposed to the elements with its guts hanging out. I can't help but wonder if this is contributing to the problem and I stated to their support, that they should check that cabinet out for damage and at the very least, secure their equipment before I make any appointments to have a tech. come out to my house to look for problems. I even provided pictures to their support people. Yet, their support seems to have a knee-jerk reaction in their reply, stating that I may be billed extra if I haven't signed up for their Line backer, data backer or CenturyLink@Ease service. I am sick of these loopholes that act as barriers to getting service restored properly and I really wish more of the burden was placed on the ISP. Overall I am pretty fed up with CenturyLink. There was a reason I chose to stay with Comcast for over a decade, despite their service not being stellar, I find them to at least be much more reliable and easier to work with than CenturyLink. The modem I am leasing is an Actiontech C1000A, I did a self-install, but a tech. was dispatched before I received my equipment to check out the lines, which checked out fine.

member for 10 years, 2657 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by suzums See Profile

• Location: Belen,Valencia,NM
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Offers service out in the sticks."
Bad "Regular downtime/outages, surreptitious throttling, generally s**t service, terrible speeds, ridiculously overpriced."
Overall "Terrible."

$90/mo for 12mbps down, 1mbps up. Was promised $20/mo at first signup. Download tests show at 11mbps but never seems to exceed 5-6mbps in real world application, with constant choking and sputtering. Outages seem to occur three or four times a week. Usually short, thankfully, and almost always in the morning hours, but always requiring a modem reboot (which takes 5-10 minutes in itself). Pings in video games used to be an average of around 80ms when we first got service a few years ago, but they've gradually increased and hover around 120ms today. Supplied with a Q1000 wireless modem/router (apparently a leftover from their Qwest acquisition).

CenturyLink HEAVILY throttles Youtube, to the point where videos won't even load 80% of the time.

Pretty much just the worst. Unfortunately they are literally the only ISP in town, so switching to a competitor is not even an option. We're stuck with CenturyLink.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage
·Cox HSI

Century the missing link

You might need a newer modem.. Doesn't matter if it's cable or DSL.. All these modems are made cheaply and in 3rd world countries.

A Cox field rep told me that a modem usually last 3 - 4 years before it starts to have problems like dropping packets and data.

Century the missing link can come out and do a line test and or purchase a new modem and see if speed improves.

Re: Century the missing link

Nope, his modem isn't the problem. Whenever a tech from them comes we kept getting new ones. It depends on his location of the modem and the signal that it is giving. Trust me even the old ADSL modems could get 10mbps.

Maybe this could help?

First before I start, when you do real application like uploading a file is the file speed like this mbps or MB/S. Because, most applications will show your speed in Mega Bytes (MB), not MegaBits (mb), if this is so, divide your speed by 8, and that's your speed in MB (1.25MB/S). Now, if you're not getting that speed, where is your modem located? The basement? The 2nd floor? One thing about DSL modems, especially CL's is that they suck and have bad signal quality -This is a problem every CL customer deals with is the crappy modems and them constantly being replaced. However, 70% of the time the issue isn't that, it's just it cant give a good enough signal. We got a Netgear Nighthawk router, and they're just amazing. We now, get 37mbps wired and outside our house with that thing.
Depending on where you're Comcast's speeds will always, always, beat the local DSL company and they're reliable. Problem is even 6 mbps is 50 bucks. So we're stuck with CL until some fiber brand, like
US Internet, which is just up in MPLS a few minutes away that offers 1gbps for 100 or so bucks.

If none of this helps tell me more and I'll look into this

Review by Panthergm1 See Profile

• Location: Salt Lake City,Salt Lake,UT
Good "Pre Sales Was Excellent. Bundling with Directv Option"
Bad "Can't Even get Promised speeds. Upload is good, download is awful"
Overall "If I had the choice I would go with comcast."

We Ordered the 40 down and 5 up package at a promotional rate for 12 months. Pre-Sales was good. Having to wait for 2 weeks before it would be activated was kind of annoying. Was just happy to get something faster then 1 Mbps down. When Service went live We were getting 40 Mbps down 5 Mbps up. 3 days later I checked it again, and it was not even 10 Mbps down. I have checked it several times over the past couple weeks the highest I have seen is 10 Mbps down, and 5 Mbps up. The upload is surprisingly good but download is not even 25% of what we are supposed to be getting. I bought the C1000A Modem at a local best buy. we told the sales rep not to send us a modem but they did anyway. Why, I don't know. The other thing that really irritates me is every time we power cycle the modem it looses it's ip address. called and asked if they would offer a Static IP and was told we would have to upgrade to a business package, and it would be an additional 20 dollars a month. When I have had Comcast in the past, the IP was Dynamic, but it wouldn't change unless the modem was offline for an extended period of time. (Several hours or days) with Centurystink if the modem is rebooted for 30 seconds it changes IP. Extremely annoying. If you have another option and want promised speeds, I suggest going with your local cable operator.

Comments:

Review by dharper100 See Profile

• Location: Boardman,Morrow,OR
Good "Tech that came out (Kyle) was amazing. Great communication, fast install, friendly."
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Speeds as advertised, low latency, install tech was awesome."

Ordered bonded DSL (25/2). Took an extra few days as the tech needed to be dispatched. Tech was a day late, but texted me to let me know the status. Showed up early the next day and did the install. Got a Technicolor CT2000A modem, which is one of the better ones. I ran a shielded cat5e cable from NID to jack. Tech wired at the NID, I wired the jack and installed modem.

So far, things are working as advertised. ~50ms ping, 24.5Mb/s download, 1.8Mb/s upload. Consistent speeds, and service doesn't choke with multiple downloads, gaming, browsing and streaming simultaneously.

Eastern Oregon, small town. 5500 feet from CO (per DSL modem status).

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

chamb267

@67.235.81.x

Pricing

Dharper,
Can you elaborate on your pricing.
I have 10 meg down with CL along with standard phone service.
My price for the DSL is 50 dollars on my bill. About 38 dollars for the phone.
I recently asked about the speeds you have and I was told it will be $75 just for the increased DSL speed.
So far, I declined. Seemed high to me.

Are you on a special package that will eventually expire and go much higher in price?
dharper100

join:2014-07-16

Re: Pricing

It is $71.95 (plus taxes) for the 25/2. Price locked for 2 years. After that, I'm hoping that either A. price stays the same or B. faster speeds are available for the same price or less.

The 10/1 was $29.95 a month (plus taxes), but the 25/2 was a better choice for me.

I was paying $60 a month for 6/1 (Wireless ISP), and it rarely worked at those speeds. For speeds, I am doing excellent. The tech has been amazing with communication, and is extremely helpful. This alone has made me love the service already. He's dedicated to making it perfect, which I rarely see (I work in IT, so I work with several companies for internet service at work).

This is for a dry DSL line, no phone service included. They do have bundles, which make it a little higher. I just have no need for a land line anymore.

I was finally able to play online gaming for the first time in a long time without any lag. I had a great time, and I think it's worth it. I do use the network connection for work, as well, so I chalk some of it up to a required expense.

Review by Mr Matt See Profile

• Location: Eustis,Lake,FL
Good "Reasonable price, easy installation, very competent technicial support, no contract, Speed issues corrected.."
Overall "Good value if you can schedule large downloads during off peak periods."

This review combines CenturyLink Voice and Broadband service.

I finally received a solicitation from CenturyLink that I was actually interested in. The reason for my interest is that I just received notice from Comcast that as of January 1, 2012 internet access was increasing by $4.00 per month from $43.95 to $47.95 plus taxes and fees. That is in addition to a $1.00 increase last year from $42.95 to $43.95. An increase of about 12% over two years.

The solicitation I received from CenturyLink offered to add 10Mbps down and 768Kbps up, to my existing voice service for $15.00 per month plus modem rental fee of $3.90 per month and taxes and other fees. I was paying $63.04 per month for local service, unlimited long distance and unlimited features. I estimate that my monthly cost will be about $85.00 per month with the addition of Broadband service. The deal also includes a 5 Year price lock and no contract. I will update the cost information when I receive my next bill. Speed varies depending on time of day from 10Mbps+ download speed during off peak hours to as low as 2Mbps during peak hours. When I first signed up with Comcast service in December of 2006 the maximum download speed was 6Mbps and regularly fell to below 2Mbps during peak traffic periods.

Pre-sales information: I was not advised of all costs to install the HSI service. The customer service representative indicated that he was waiving all installation costs. My bill includes a $14.95 Shipping/Handling fee to deliver the modem plus a $15.95 HSI activation fee. There is also a modem rental fee of $3.90 per month which we did discuss. I expect to purchase a modem so the modem rental fee will be eliminated.

Order/Installation: When I confirmed the price I placed the order immediately, for the 10Mbps service. I received the modem in about two days. I had already installed a DSL splitter so all I had to do was plug in the modem and it automatically configured itself. The next step was to fill out some forms on the CenturyLink website to activate service, create passwords and set up a primary email account.

Equipment: CenturyLink sent a ZyXEL EQ-660R-F1 combination modem router. A generic version of this modem router is available at retail under the ZyXEL product code P-660R-D1.

I really did not have any bad experience save the sales CSR not fulfilling his promise to wave the HSI installation fee. On the other hand I was very satisfied with CenturyLinks technical support when I contacted them to learn how to bridge the modem. As soon as the first level technician realized that my request was above their level of knowledge I was immediately transferred to the second level technical support. The technician advised me of how to bridge the modem and warned me to be sure I released the IP address to avoid being locked out of the DSLAM until the lease period of the IP address timed out.

I strongly recommend that anyone not familiar with DSL service read the installation manual for the ZyXEL P-660R-DI to familiarize themselves with the modem router to improve the installation experience.

Compatible Modems: I have already purchased three modems and returned one. The ZyXEL P-660-D1 provides some of the same features and functions that the CenturyLink supplied modem provides. One feature that the retail version lacks is a release and renew radio button that should be used when placing the modem in the bridged mode. The Actiontec GT710D provides similar features and does include a release and renew button. Both modems provided the same performance as the CenturyLink provided modem. Specifically 10Mbps+ down and 760Kbps up. Both modems are on the list of CenturyLink supported modems. I returned a TP-Link TD-8816 because while it was able to provide 10Mbps+ down it was unable to provide higher than 550Kbps up.

It is now July 2014 and CenturyLink broadband service has improved significantly since my last review. CenturyLink has improved their network for broadband customers in order to be able to provide Prism IPTV Service. CenturyLink is offering higher speed service in some locations at higher prices, for those customers that need same. I still have 10 Meg down and 768K up. Upload and download speeds are now more consistent. I have not experienced any price increases since CenturyLink Broadband was installed. CenturyLink Telephone service is always reliable and transmission is always clear.

Comments:
CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

Billing/Service issue

Hello Mr Matt,
If there is anything you need assistance resolving regarding your CenturyLink billing or services, we can help. Please email us the account and address info at TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com, we can get you taken care of.
Regards,
Steve

Review by mrphil See Profile

• Location: Tucson,Pima,AZ
Good "Faster speed, less cost, more phone features, little effort on my part to save money and get faster speeds"
Overall "Good solid service, good price"

I've been with CenturyLink since took over Qwest. See my previous review of Qwest here: »/comment/53907

On March 28th I was at an event where CenturyLink had one of their stores set up. I think they got me when they said "Free Modem". After looking at my current account with them, they indicated they could reduce my monthly charges and upgrade me from 1.5M/896 ADSL to 12M/896 VDSL. After a few minutes discussion I told them to go ahead and left with C1000A modem.

Installation/upgrade was set for April 4th.

Took the model home and configured it for my current service and swapped it in. The evening of the 3rd of April the DSL change was done and the modem switched without any issues from ADSL to VDSL

Speed is as advertised and no problems with the line or modem. The only time DSL has been down is when I've rebooted the modem. Currently it's been up for 63 days straight.

Price before the change was $71.84 and after it's $ 55.54. This includes a single landline which I need for work (cell phones don't let you talk for 20+ hours straight). The phone now has more features than I know what to do with, but I'm figuring them out. And yes, there have been no charges for the modem.

Yes, the price will go up after one year, but we will see what they can offer at that point.

member for 13 years, 2103 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by Sportsfan See Profile

• Location: Tucson,Pima,AZ
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Speeds are as advertised. Service has been reliable so far."
Bad "Internet Basics pricing is for a limited time."
Overall "Very good value for the price for Lifeline-qualified customers."

I was still using 56k dial-up when I found out about Internet Basics, a program for low-income/disabled customers, through a well-hidden link on the Qwest website. I applied and was approved the same week (March 2012). Service was initiated in three days. I was pleasantly surprised to get consistent speeds of 1280/720 with the company-provided ZyXEL PK5000Z modem (advertised speed "up to" 1.5 Mb down). Setup was easy, even for me as a first-time DSL user. Total price will go up to $21.90 in month 13, and special pricing will end after month 60.

Edit: Soon after I posted this review, I began having frequent modem reboots and connection drops after four months of excellent service. I will report back if anything changes.

Second Edit (Oct. 2012): The modem drops stopped around the end of August, causing me to think it was the lightning issue others had reported, but another modem drop occurred today (a clear evening w/ cool temperatures), so the modem itself appears to be the issue, as noted by a commenter.

Updated (July 2014): Price is now $21.90 per month as agreed in contract. Previous modem was replaced by CL, solving disconnection problems. Download speed was increased to 1.8 Mb a few months ago at no additional charge to customer.

Comments:

pcopsey

@qwest.net

PK5000

The pk5000 series routers are trash... just do a search on them and you will find that the actiontec and the zyxel both have the same consistent problems of resetting constantly.

Sadly thats all the centurylink offers right now. You can purchase your own but lose any real tech support and if it dies your on your own again.

Review by xthepeoplesx See Profile

• Location: Galena,Delaware,OH
Good "They say they will eventually upgrade my area..."
Bad "Service is horrific, always some kind of Bandwidth exhaust."
Overall "The only reason you should have CenturyLink is if there are no other options."

Seriously, there is no reason to have this company unless you literally have no other options.

member for 279 days, 169 visits, last login: a few hours ago