CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by brybarnes See Profile

• Location: Justin,Denton,TX
Good "its internet access"
Bad "high latency, wildly fluctuating DL speeds, lousy support"
Overall "it's DSL (Internet) in a rural area"

Its a forced choice option, its the best of the worst.
Satellite is better, although there are data caps and huge fee's
I am just outside a service area for WiMAX solution.

I am just fortunate enough to even have internet at this location, cell tower (laughable "4G" is way slower).

Comments:

Had enough

@71.209.37.x

My internet service

This is a horrible dishonest company for over a year and a half this company has allowed a streaming device connected to my internet. They knew the woman's email address nreynoldsid@gmail.com and her name Nancy Reynolds. This allowed access to my home my security device ALL personal info passwords etc etc even the death of my dog. Yet they did nothing. I got smart and started taking pictures with all hacking with my iPhone. Now I get to clean up their crime scene and my credit report companies like this should not be in business and that woman should be behind bars! I hate century link they didn't keep me safe they let it happen called aiding and abetting.

Review by Cartuner See Profile

Good "Nothing!!"
Bad "Everything!"
Overall "This service is the worst I have ever gotten. "

Centurylink is a horrible service. Crappy costumer service and really slow internet. They say you can get up to 40mps, what they don't mention is that that is split in half due to a duel server or something. They false advertise and people actually get this shit. I was stupid enough to get the bundle for a year. I had so many arguments with customer service, it's ridiculous.

From my own experience to save you!! Don't get this service.. You'll regret it.
I hope the best.
Thanks.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

JPoster

@216.113.168.x

I am about to get service because I am forced

I need internet for my work....and the only service that is offered is Centrylink. So far my experience hs been horrible and if this is what it will be like, I can only hope something puts these guys of out of business so we can let a competent company

cburdett5

@174.27.207.x

Worst service and customer service ever

Century link are lairs about the service they provide, they say its going to be 40 mgbt then you only get 25, the customer service is horrible I have argued about my billing for months and no one communicates with the other, and they never fix the problem, save yourself some time and money and go with another service provider.

Review by percy See Profile

• Location: Eden Prairie,Hennepin,MN
Good "It worked, most of the time."
Bad "Extremely limited bandwidth on Netflix, Hulu etc..at peak time"
Overall "might work for you if you dont care about watching HD video at peak hours"

Was with Centurylink (formerly Qwest) for 15 years!

Last year was horrible. My main reason for dumping them was the extreme loss of bandwidth when watching video services (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon..) at peak hours. Even worse was that all along the 2+ months I spent with their techs to get to the bottom of this they knew all too well that it was their choked up antique lines or it was a delibrate concious effort to limit bandwidth. Moved to comcast and no problems since. Oh and I had their land line too so they lost that business from me as well. Now I have phone and internet from Comcast.

Comments:
brad152

Works fine for me..

I use all of the above on my 40/5 connection just fine, and my DSL is $19.95/mo to boot.
BlakePaulson

join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN
·T-Mobile US
·Charter

Re: Works fine for me..

Because you're in Arizona which is a lot different of a place than Minnesota.

Just because it works perfectly where you're at doesn't mean it will be so everywhere.

Also I'm sure the $19.95 price is a bundle package or a super promo, as there's no way they do that price as an everyday price.
Big Dawg 23

join:2002-03-27
Northfield, MN

Similar experience

I have CL 20/1 which drops a lot to 15/.5. Doing full HD can create issues and the horrible upload knocks out my work VPN. Minnesota lacks good speaks in most parts. I personally thinking of return to Charter I left there years ago.

Review by dewi See Profile

• Location: USA
  • Telco party @link
Bad "So slow and expensive!"

I paid $40 for 9 months was slow.
Then the next 3 months for automatic payment paid $ 35 still slow and remain the signal lost from the laptop, so I have to keep plugging in on the outlet. Turn to no wireless since got stuck all the time to the wire.
Now after a year, contract done, price so ridiculously $ 57 for just an internet and still with those unresolved problem.
Start searching for another provider.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:
brad152

WiFi?

So you take the time to just go buy a $20 wifi router to see if maybe it's your laptop or the CenturyLink provided one, you post here?

Just go buy a $20 wifi router (or $30 from new egg DSL Modem/WiFi AP in one to save the $7/mo rental fee) and call it good.

Review by amyblue See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR
Good "Not a single thing. NOTHING."
Bad "Service. Support Availability. Customer Service Reps EVERYTHING!"
Overall "This company should NOT be allowed to be in business."

I signed up for the 40Mbps plan for $34.95/month during the first week of June 2014. We averaged around 2.7Mbps but never quite reached 4Mbps download speed. I tried calling in to troubleshoot and found their call center hours impossible to work with and they had NO option to communicate through their website (imagine that as a metaphor... an internet company that doesn't know how to utilize their own website for business purposes). They claim their business hours are from 8am-6pm Monday through Friday but I could never reach them past 4pm. I received a message that I needed to call back during business hours. If they do not have an online correspondence option then these hours are not reasonable for anyone who works a 9-5 type job. When I finally reached a rep, she was dismissive to my concerns about slow speeds. She offered no solutions and would not reduce my bill or switch me to a smaller plan at a lower rate even though my area was not ABLE to reach anywhere near the speeds I was paying for. At this point I was only 2 weeks into dealing with them so I asked to disconnect my service. I got disconnected but thought we had resolved closing the account. I received a bill soon after and discovered they had NOT disconnected me as I had requested. I called back again (mind you, to do this within their insane call center hours, I had to call during my lunch break, sit on hold for at least 30 minutes, get transferred from one surly, unhelpful employee after another to whom I had to repeat my account information to each time. To each and every one, I confirmed my identity and told them I wanted to disconnect my service. I had to repeat myself so many times only to run out of time on my lunch break and have to hang up before they could process my one simple request.

Now it is 3 months into the ordeal and I have called a dozen times to disconnect but still they are charging me for service. Today when I called to disconnect, the employee told me she could disconnect me but I would receive a $200 disconnection fee because it is after my 30 day grace period. So all total, we are looking at $450 they are claiming I owe for a service I NEVER received.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Well.. In the meantime...

Have you tried hard-wiring your comuter it should significantly help. WiFi quality with them is poor.

Phoenix, AZ

Re: Well.. In the meantime...

said by greatshow09:

Let me correct that: WiFi on CenturyLink provided routers happens to be poor

Also to the OP, have you tried bypassing the internal wiring on the house? usually that's the culprit with the 40Mbps speed as most houses have old school daisy-chained wiring and it will wreak havoc with a 40Mbps VDSL2 connection.

BobbyMcGee

@216.113.168.x
This is awful service....

Review by neill6705 See Profile

• Location: Little Falls,Morrison,MN
Good "Consistent connection that's faster than what we're paying for."
Bad "Horrible CPE, overly aggressive sales people."
Overall "Great service, but bring your own modem."

We've had Centurylink for about a month and a half now. I've been very pleased with they're service. We're paying for 20/0.896mbps and speedtest.net consistently shows 24.4/0.85mbps. We haven't had any downtime in the time we've had them. One of my only complaints is the sales people. I've been in a sales position before and I know the importance of upselling but when the customer knows exactly he/she wants, don't try and jam the stuff they don't want down their throat. I lost count of how many times I had to say no to a land line (we have VoIP from Ooma), Verizon, Direct TV, their at ease antivirus tech support bundle, etc. I didn't really deal with any field techs. Since we were just using our NID for DSL, I unhooked out home phone wiring from the terminals as the Ooma is feeding that and ran a piece of Cat5e to a jack just for DSL myself. This leads to my only other complaint - the customer premise equipment. I bought an Actiontec C1000A. Worst $100 I've ever spent. It had thousands of CRC and hundreds of thousands or millions of FEC errors every day. A week later I replaced it with a ZyXel P873HNUP and all my issues went away. On a bad day it has a few hundred FEC errors and basically no CRC errors. Bring your own router, unless you get a C2000T (based on what I've read).

Overall, the service has been very fast and consistent. Once you get past the annoying sales people, If you're near the DSLAM and the copper loop is of decent quality, you should be very satisfied with the service.

member for 21 days, 21 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by celifish1 See Profile

• Location: Aurora,Arapahoe,CO
Good "nothing at all"
Bad "all of it"
Overall "By far the worst ISP I have ever worked with!!!!!"

I have been a technician for 18 years installing everything from custom home theater, automation and integrated alarm along with POS systems at all the high end retail stores. I have worked with multiple ISP's and most have their glitches but CenturyLink takes the cake!!!!

I moved from Bellingham Washington to South Aurora Co. last year and I looked for a good priced ISP in the area, at the time CL was the only one with a good promotion, I was not comfortable with having a contract and boy was I right!!!

Slow as a slug on hot pavement.....

I was told 20mbps and the highest i ever got was 3.2mbps download speeds. if I wanted to work in the middle of the night .8 mbps.

their customer support was the worst, rude always passing the blame to the wiring in the building( which I checked and was perfectly good, I even re-terminated and tested to be sure)

All in all it was the worst year of internet I have ever had!!!

My advice, STAY AWAY!!!!

Comments:

linicx

Sorry

Bad things happen to good people and connectivity to the Internet is one. It is only as good as your equipment at home, the equipment in the plant, and your distance from it. I bought 4-5 routers before I found one that would work with CL. Where I live it is PC friendly and not much else without a battle to make it work.

I live in a duopoly of CL and a telephone company in another city that provides cable. Both use the same fiber in he same plant to serve the same customers. Both charge the same for basic service. However, if I want 15/5 and I don't mind the $150 I will pay for top tier cable I really dont want to get it. AFAIK CL doesn't offer too much over .768 up in most rural places.

Review by greatshow09 See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Price is fine -for me. $29.95 for 40mbps, hasn't changed and I still have the 4 year lock from Qwest :)."
Bad "Took awhile to fix the speed problems. Turned out an expensive router did the trick. Ping kinda' is bad too 40 ms."
Overall "Unless CL Fiber is coming to your house soon, the speeds are slow. However, worth the price."

Ok So here's the full story, scroll down for something less, well big.

We've been with Qwest since 2008, the most remembered part was their dedication when they spent TWO DAYS instaling ADSL to our house. Since then, we were happy 12mbps customer, that never wanted to switch after a horrible experience at Comcast, and all the way up 'till recently when Centurylink bought 'em out, we were as happy as could be. Once CL came along though, we had our second nightmare. No, night-terror. For the first few months, CL was fine, they got VDSL hooked up to our house and we swapped over to 20mbps. The connection was fine and we averaged speeds at 17mbps. However, once 40mbps came along, we jumped on the offer and upgraded. This is when it got bad, wireless speeds were far from 40mbps and we went through six, yeah six, modems -great. All of which were crappy Zyxel and Actiontec modems. After several calls to CL customer representatives all were nice but almost useless, changing channels, ports and of course modems. After none of that worked we said screw you and said we were switching back to Comcast and getting their Blast plan. As a house of geeks we asked for linebackers to show up -nothing was wrong. That was it, we called Comcast and setup an account they were to setup service just a bit later. Turned out the problem was a crappy signal from all the modems that only made it through one room in our house. The router brought our house to the speeds needed and after all that hell all is well now.

To cut it to the chase:

We had a mixed experience with CL and went through several modems and representatives it took months to get our house to 40mbps.

The Techs were friendly, but rather useless. Price is great $29.95 for four years (They let us keep our lock from Qwest... Sort of.).

Their modems suck, and signal only covers a room of our house. So, I would suggest buying a good router like our $200 Nighthawk.

CL Fiber (Up to 1gbps) is coming to our area. So, we aren't going anywhere. Comcast kills their DSL on regards to speed though.

Comments:

Review by cgreene See Profile

• Location: Roanoke Rapids,Halifax,NC
Good "Great speeds, good service, great field techs"
Bad "None that I can think of so far"
Overall "CenturyLink has been great from the time I order until going live"

After a 7 year wait for broadband, DSL finally came to my area on 2-15-10. I have been on dialup, satellite, 3G through the years. Always around T1 or better at work. I am about 3,000 feet from the RT so I ordered the 10 meg for 69.90 a month bundled with local phone service. Ordered over the phone and service was turned on 2-15-10 on the first day available. The local service techs Junior and Cory did a great job. The modem is a 660R in bridged mode. I am also using a Linksys 400N router. Speeds so far are always ~9850 to 9900 down and 840-850 up using speedtest.net or speakeasy.net. This has been a smooth ride so far. I will update as time goes.

10/08/2010

Still going strong after 8 months. Speeds are always there and no downtime. Wish everything was like this.

8/9/2011

After 18 months service is still GREAT! No downtime and speeds are still what I pay for. On the 10 meg plan I always get 10 or a little better down and 87 up. The first three or four hops are in the 8-10 ms range. It is like this 24/7. Very happy with CenturyLink.

7/15/12

Still receiving great service from CenturyLink. I am on the 10/896 package and speeds are right on target 24/7. Service has gone down once in over 2 years. That was due to a hurricane. I checked the modem stats a few days ago. This modem has been up for 6,643 + hours. Truly amazing!

11/19/13

Time for a update. The 10/896 has been great the past 16 months with no problems. After checking with CenturyLink founded out DSLAM has been upgraded to VDSL2 service. I am 3423 feet from the DSLAM and could receive 25/2 package. The line tech and inside tech showed up as scheduled and were up and down the road for a hour or so. They then ran cat 5 from the NID to the inside jack. Line sync is 25023/2014. I am getting a SOLID 23.5/1.90 at all times. What is interesting is these numbers are over a SINGLE PAIR and not bonded. Can't say enough about the techs that did the line and install work. They were great! CenturyLink has been GREAT for me over the years.

August 2014

Nothing new to report. CenturyLink has not been down once since last review. Still receiving 23.5/1.9 24/7. A few months ago did switch out the modem from Actiontec C1000A to Zyxel C1000Z. Don't really see any difference except the modem stats on the Zyxel are complete. Very happy with CenturyLink.

member for 10.7 years, 4615 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

linicx

I Agree

CL techs can make small miracles when they have the something to work with,but they can't pull 10/1 over dialup. Where I live, my miracle worker is an old lineman whose been with the company for years.

Review by captinkirk See Profile

• Location: Tucson,Pima,AZ
Good "Nothing yet"
Bad "Four months without no service"
Overall "Alot of heartache"

I placed my order in May. And still haven't been installed... Enough Said. Customer Service just doesn't care. My neighbor ordered last week and got installed before I did. My order is still up in held orders and assignments. When they finally did give me an install date they said it was because they were over booked yet new customer get installed before orders that have been sitting do.. If they dont have enough techs to complete the order perhaps they should hire more. Very upset and frustrated. Avoid CL at all costs.

Comments:
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Wow.. This seems familiar.

That's funny, this is what happened when we wanted Comcast. Qwest spent days rewiring our house to get it installed. It seems ISPs don't care about their customer anymore. While you don't have CL, get a high quality router or you'll be in another nightmare. If there's anything that works best though it's: "That's it, If you don't come soon, I am switching to Comcast."

·TracFone Wireless

What most do not understand

CL is a telephone company that is licensed by the Federal Communications Commission to bring wireline to the homes and maintain - as part of a national network -. connectivity from coast to coast.

Every state has some type of public utility commission that assures if you pay your bill your utilities will be delivered to your home in a timely manner. In this case the Utility means natural gas, lights and telephone.

Neither the FCC or the State utility commission regulates the Internet or dares to touches it. Until that changes you get what you get.

I have CL, a wireline, and a PUC. The three give me a very good product. The fact the web is bundled with the phone is incidental. But incidentally with an excellent wireline and a whole house filter I also have excellent Internet of 10/1 in town of 2000 in the middle of nowhere in the Midwest. If I want a really good doctor and more than one grocery store I drive 50 miles.

My nearest neighbor county town is 15 miles. AT&T provides a whopping 6/1 while the local WISP offers 5/.500. I think I am blessed. OTOH if I want a blazing fast 15/5 from cable I must buy the top tier cable package plus phone and web for $150. I'll stick with my $75 and SAT TV and still pay less. I can opt for 4/1 and VoIP. Been there; crappy. If I want VoIP that is works well then I have to pay at least $100. What I get is a really good DSL phone, and 10/2 as long as it is online.

The only time CL was down in the last 5 years was last fall during floods. The whole town was down. I was off line for less than 60 minutes. Cable was down for 3 days.

Good or bad, I am in for the long haul. If you want leverage get a telephone line in the house. Then PUC can help you if the phone does not work as promised.

My argument is very simple. If CL can sell 100T fiber to Paris, why can't I have a phone that works 24/7? Do remember it is not POTS. It is only as good as the phone you buy. I have a half-dozen that are horrible on VoIP and CL, too.
coryw

join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

Re: What most do not understand

Once again, CenturyLink doesn't "sell" 100T fiber to Paris. If CenturyLink does operate a 100T backbone to Paris, it's a different business unit anyway, and they almost certainly (like 100% likelihood) sell capacity on it to other companies. (Though "giant fiber line to Paris" has always seemed more AT&T or Verizon's style, or Level3/Cogent.)

Any citation on the fact that this 100T in paris exists?

Re: What most do not understand

I read it in a CL public business announcement: 100T to Paris and to London.
coryw

join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

Do you have a link?

Anyway, it's 100% guaranteed to be backhaul, transit in the style of Level3 or Cogent, and it certainly starts at a carrier hotel in New York, and ends at a carrier hotel in Paris and London. Not only can CL's customers use it to access content in Europe, but AT&T U-Verse, DSL, and Verizon FiOS and DSL customers, (in fact let's just go ahead and call it "all residential Internet users in the United States") are going to be using that line to access web sites hosted in Europe. The reverse will be happening too -- European users accessing content hosted in North America.

It's not like as a resident in Paris, you can sign up for CenturyLink home Internet and they'll bring a Technicolor C2000T or ZyXEL FR1000z to your house.

Re: What most do not understand

I get what you are saying and it makes perfectly good sense. I don't know understand why a hotel would be involved as France and UK have telco and some type of L3
dgoldstein

join:2014-07-21
Edgewood, NM

Re: What most do not understand

CL bought Qwest and therefore owns all of the fiber that Qwest installed "worldwide". Not to some hotel in Paris.

Re: What most do not understand

That's what I thought. I thought Qwest was a Southwestern operation? Mother had it.