CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by CSClassical See Profile

• Location: Colorado Springs,El Paso,CO
  • Telco party Qwest

Using CenturyLink broadband at home via wireless router.

Only real complaint about this service is that it and/or the modem drop connectivity from time-to-time, mostly during daytime hours. Power-cycling modem seems to solve the problem but it's a pain to have to do it.

Comments:

Jen

@myvzw.com

internet

this is the worst service ever!!! Two days and my internet won't connect. The password that was given to us won't work. I will never recommend century link to anyone. I already changed my tv service, soon it'll be my internet service too.

·TracFone Wireless

I too have home broadband

My CL modem includes a router that seems to be wireless by default. I don't know if this will help or not.

I need the phone worse than I do the Internet . When I first signed up I had the same problem as you. I rebooted and finally replaced routers twice a year until I found ASUS N Router, and CL was forced to install a whole house filter because the phone behaved so badly. I have had little reason to reboot or complain in the last 18n months. I concluded that CL systems does not always play nicely with all user electronics.

Review by greatshow09 See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "It's an ok buy. 30 bucks for 40/5"
Bad "Customer service is almost useless and speeds are slow. ETF"
Overall "If you want a cheap ISP in a metro area and can compromise for slow speeds.."

Before CL came along we didn't even have ADSL+ or VDSL yet... Yeah, it was really slow (12mbps).

Fastforward to 2014, we're now the only ones on our block that has fiber, especially from CL. Even so, the speeds are not fiber speeds. There less than 100mbps infact. We currently have the 40/5 plan and I usually average around 35/3, thanks mostly impart to the fact we bought a $200 router and also have a CellSpot. Experiences with these guys aren't really that good. Infact they were so bad we went through over five modems, all of which were crappy zyxel and actiontec modems. Glad that's over with.. The customer service with these guys is a bunch of retards, they are nice but really don't know how to do their jobs (well at least they'd never call me an assh*** on my bill. so that's something). I've heard in some areas these guys have really overpriced archaic speeds. So, in that case just go to someone else. Just in general if you don't have fiber don't bother staying cause the experience really does suck. Also, dont think they don't have ETFs -they do and there huge. I know this is probably the worst review ever, but it's my way of looking at it.

Comments:

Review by jgkolt See Profile

• Location: Avon,Lorain,OH
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Fiber, faster than TWC, Knowledgeable installers"
Bad "Challenging install process, correct sales information, company very segmented"
Overall "It's fiber but my experience felt like bait and switch"

1st Post

January 17th, 2015

I ordered the 100 down 50 up fiber package. Originally it was $93 for internet alone but when bundled with home phone and the current sale it was $56 and locked in for 5 years with auto-pay. We also received $50 credit towards the install and $100 bundle visa credit card. Worked with online support and ordering was quite easy. It took many times to get an accurate number of what down/up speeds were available at my address. They installed a Calix 710GX ONT outside and a ZyXEL FR1000Z gateway router inside. I didn't realize that it wasn't needed until the last day of the install. Wish I was told, instead of purchasing the gateway for $100, and just used my own router via PPPoe.

The first install date no one showed up. I messaged online support and they were going to ping the tech and supervisor. I heard nothing and pinged online support again and they sent me to the repair hotline. That department said they pinged the tech and supervisor and they would reach out to me after 15 minutes. I took off of work and waited 8 hours and heard nothing that day.

The next morning promptly at 9 am the supervisor called and took ownership of the situation. He believed that the work order never came down to the tech and was a growing pain of the company, but he would look into it. The next day they installed everything inside and they would be back on Monday for the outside due to very cold weather conditions. they did some work Monday but ran into problems with the lines (mislabeled, and fiber cracking in the 0 degree weather). They took out the neighbors internet but fixed both it and ours the next day. The supervisor stayed late to make sure we could get internet and phone setup inside our house. Although there were issues the people were very kind, and took ownership of the issue. I am not getting the upload speed as I was told but they are still working on the provisioning of it. This was the first time they installed 100/50 in this area even though it is advertised heavily for months now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Post

February 3, 2015

Service went out on a Friday night but was up end of day Saturday. I was nervous that it happened close to a weekend since they don't work weekends.

I am still waiting for my line to be provisioned correct. My best speed tests around 9 am is 99down/25up. Typically when i am home in the afternoon it is 50-75down/10-20 up. The Techs and their supervisor have not seen these speeds (100/50) yet so we would be the first ones. We received the supervisor and his manager's number.

FIRST BILL

It was a bit of a shocker at ~$400. I was charged for a modem that i was told was required, but it was a router and if i had my own router theirs was not needed but they won't allow a return. My monthly amount i was quoted after auto-pay ($55.95) was not honored and they are charging me $91.90. There was a $30 one time charge I am still not sure why I was charged. My speeds are much less I was originally expecting. Also they sold me on unlike cable the speeds these won't fluctuate, but they do and much worse than when i had cable a few weeks ago. I am going to wait for the paper bill to arrive and call the retention department as the online support suggested, when they open during the day. At this point I am no longer a happy customer just getting setup but disappointed at what feels like to me as Bait and Switch. More details to follow...

3rd Post

February 7th

I was expecting to be billed ~$205 including tax, but was billed ~$144 more. Learned the $10 per month discount for signing up for auto-pay (actually $20 for prorate and next month on same bill) cant be used on first bill. Learned that the "modem" is actually a router and any router will work. $30 work order that was unexpected. When I asked if I could return the "modem", I was told no because I purchased it.

I spoke to customer service and they were shocked at the bill price and said they were "pissed off","mad", and ashamed of the company but ended the call due to closing for the night and said we will receive a call back within 3 business days. As the 30 day money back guarantee was ending soon I called back the next day during business hours and was transferred to escalations. They gave me a $101.90 credit but still about $42 shy from what was advertised but the rep didn't want to go into the details and calculate the tax. He also told me that I can return the "modem" at a store and receive the $99.99 back. I am going to wait until they fix my speed issues so they don't blame it on my router.

They currently are not honoring the promotion to me for $55.95 but are trying to get me to pay $91.90 or $111.90 a month, depending on who you talk to. The monthly rate is still being reviewed but I don't trust they will honor the price they offered me in writing.

It has been a month since install for them to work out the fluctuating and slower speeds so we called and a tech should be coming out next week to troubleshoot.

5 issues:

-Monthly Price – still investigating

-Return of unneeded modem (really router) – told to bring back to store

-$30 one time charge – credited back

-fluctuating speeds – waiting on tech

-First bill – partial credit, doesn't fully cover errors

4th Post

Feb 14th

Working with installations supervisor. He has stopped back late in the day and now can see the wide variance of speeds outside when plugged into the ONT. They have a call out to Calix (the manufacturer of the ONT) for assistance. That was on the 9th, today they looked at it again, and waiting to hear back from the supervisor. Really nice guy who who can reach on his work cell phone, unfortunately it is a flip phone so we can text him but its very challenging for him to text back. I m fine with a quick call if he has coverage. We found out CenturyLink only allocated 75mbit to the development (2 streets) and they bumped it up to 160. I am not sure how that would work with others with the 100/50 plan like me, and how i could test at 100mbit when the development was set at 75. Either way the speeds have been solid for days. So the service has been corrected but still working on getting my bill correct. The billing department didn't call me back like they said and neither did the escalations department.

»www.speedtest.net/result/4134710 ··· 0527.png

5th Post

February 17

Three days till bill is due and trying to get the bill straightened out. I returned the modem but they have never seen that model and would have to get a manager to approve the credit and they would call me back that day, but didn't happen. Billing was supposed to call me back from week before, gave them over a week, and they didn't call back. Lady at retail store was really nice but couldn't figure out how much I should be spending per month going forward, called another dept and they were supposed to reach out to the escalations guy (that didn't call me back previously) also and have him call me back that day, again no call. Waiting on modem/router credit, rate going forward, possible autopay credit once bill is corrected, and a host of no call backs.

member for 11 years, 2266 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Rotonda West

@embarqhsd.net

Centurylink

The absolute worst company in the world of any business! Their service is only superseded why they're poor customer service and even worthless tech support. If you have not ordered this company save your money or you'll regret it! I have to post this from my iPhone by satellite because centurylink does not stay connected long enough to post this review!!!
coryw

join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

1 recommendation

Keep us posted!

Keep us posted on this issue!

I am looking at moving to a house where this service is offered, though in an ex-Qwest area, and it'll be interesting to see how it resolves.

I was quoted on their chat $91/mo for 100/50 on a residential plan, and was told that they don't have any bundles for the 100/50 service, though that was a few days ago. They didn't really make any promises about speed, but the chat was very brief, just long enough to verify that there was indeed fiber to the actual premises.

If nothing else, it is good to have it installed, even if you cancel the service, so that you can easily have it re-activated later on. Hopefully it's like FiOS in that once they wire it up, they just leave everything in and can turn it off and on at will. Of course, hopefully the engineered the service with enough ports, but since you already have it installed that's not your problem.

unhappy

@qwest.net

I am about to drop this useless company

Who has the time to call their internet provider every single day? Not me! Their services are really awful connection in an out. I cant check my email on my tablet if I am away from my router. When I called they said I had the correct speed but in three weeks their speed will also go up, i don't believe it! I am done! tech supports just tells you to reset the router every time you call for help, besides the long waits its seldom that a real person talks to you!

Review by Sportsfan See Profile

• Location: Tucson,Pima,AZ
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Speeds are better than advertised. Service has been reliable so far."
Bad "Internet Basics pricing is for a limited time."
Overall "Very good value for Lifeline-qualified customers."

I was still using 56k dial-up when I found out about Internet Basics, a program for low-income/disabled customers, through a well-hidden link on the Qwest website. I applied and was approved the same week (March 2012). Service was initiated in three days. I was pleasantly surprised to get consistent speeds of 1280/720 with the company-provided ZyXEL PK5000Z modem (advertised speed "up to" 1.5 Mb down). Setup was easy, even for me as a first-time DSL user. Total price will go up to $21.90 in month 13, and special pricing will end after month 60.

Edit: Soon after I posted this review, I began having frequent modem reboots and connection drops after four months of excellent service. I will report back if anything changes.

Second Edit (Oct. 2012): The modem drops stopped around the end of August, causing me to think it was the lightning issue others had reported, but another modem drop occurred today (a clear evening w/ cool temperatures), so the modem itself appears to be the issue, as noted by a commenter.

Updated (July 2014): Price is now $21.90 per month as agreed in contract. Previous modem was replaced by CL, solving disconnection problems. Download speed was increased to 1.8 Mb a few months ago at no additional charge to customer.

Comments:

pcopsey

@qwest.net

PK5000

The pk5000 series routers are trash... just do a search on them and you will find that the actiontec and the zyxel both have the same consistent problems of resetting constantly.

Sadly thats all the centurylink offers right now. You can purchase your own but lose any real tech support and if it dies your on your own again.
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Only 1.8mbps?

That's it. There's gotta be a competitor or something better than that. I have 40 and thats slow enough..

Not Minnesota

CL has a footprint in 38 states. The services offered by CL are not always the same across all states, regions or areas of the US. Be glad you have your 40. CL does not generally offer more than 1 with overhead in most DSL areas. I know. I am in one of the 10/1 areas and I am thrilled.

Review by cgreene See Profile

• Location: Roanoke Rapids,Halifax,NC
Good "Great speeds, good service, great field techs"
Bad "None that I can think of so far"
Overall "CenturyLink has been great from the time I order until going live"

After a 7 year wait for broadband, DSL finally came to my area on 2-15-10. I have been on dialup, satellite, 3G through the years. Always around T1 or better at work. I am about 3,000 feet from the RT so I ordered the 10 meg for 69.90 a month bundled with local phone service. Ordered over the phone and service was turned on 2-15-10 on the first day available. The local service techs Junior and Cory did a great job. The modem is a 660R in bridged mode. I am also using a Linksys 400N router. Speeds so far are always ~9850 to 9900 down and 840-850 up using speedtest.net or speakeasy.net. This has been a smooth ride so far. I will update as time goes.

10/08/2010

Still going strong after 8 months. Speeds are always there and no downtime. Wish everything was like this.

8/9/2011

After 18 months service is still GREAT! No downtime and speeds are still what I pay for. On the 10 meg plan I always get 10 or a little better down and 87 up. The first three or four hops are in the 8-10 ms range. It is like this 24/7. Very happy with CenturyLink.

7/15/12

Still receiving great service from CenturyLink. I am on the 10/896 package and speeds are right on target 24/7. Service has gone down once in over 2 years. That was due to a hurricane. I checked the modem stats a few days ago. This modem has been up for 6,643 + hours. Truly amazing!

11/19/13

Time for a update. The 10/896 has been great the past 16 months with no problems. After checking with CenturyLink founded out DSLAM has been upgraded to VDSL2 service. I am 3423 feet from the DSLAM and could receive 25/2 package. The line tech and inside tech showed up as scheduled and were up and down the road for a hour or so. They then ran cat 5 from the NID to the inside jack. Line sync is 25023/2014. I am getting a SOLID 23.5/1.90 at all times. What is interesting is these numbers are over a SINGLE PAIR and not bonded. Can't say enough about the techs that did the line and install work. They were great! CenturyLink has been GREAT for me over the years.

August 2014

Nothing new to report. CenturyLink has not been down once since last review. Still receiving 23.5/1.9 24/7. A few months ago did switch out the modem from Actiontec C1000A to Zyxel C1000Z. Don't really see any difference except the modem stats on the Zyxel are complete. Very happy with CenturyLink.

February 2015

Still nothing new to report. I don't recall any down time in the last 6 months. Speeds are still 23.5/1.9 24/7.

member for 11.2 years, 4875 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

linicx

I Agree

CL techs can make small miracles when they have the something to work with,but they can't pull 10/1 over dialup. Where I live, my miracle worker is an old lineman whose been with the company for years.

Review by bmccoy See Profile

• Location: Port Orchard,Kitsap,WA
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Decent technical support"
Bad "Slow, unreliable, overpriced, false advertising, neglected network, low (and sneaky) caps"
Overall "VERY slow speeds, and outrageous prices. If you are lucky enough to have a different option, go with it."

·Wave Broadband
I have Centurylink DSL (formerly Qwest) and unlimited nationwide calling, and it costs (after taxes) exactly $98.06 a month. The main problem I have with them is that only 1.5Mbps is available where I live, because they don't want to bother upgrading any of their 90's-era equipment installed by US West and/or install a remote DSLAM. When I got this service many years ago, I was promised that they would be upgrading their equipment to get faster speeds that summer. It's been over 7 years now, and they haven't changed a thing.

UPDATE: Still no upgrades planned, according to Doug Morgan from TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com, so I will be switching to Wave Broadband for 55Mbps internet, TV, and phone service, while paying only $20.00/month more. ($120.00-month for phone, internet, and basic HDTV).

Their technical support tries to upsell you more services when the services you already have don't work.

UPDATE 7/9/13:

I switched to cable internet, and it's much better. Phone quality is better, internet is around 22 times faster, with less taxes and hidden fees.

Centurylink wanted to make it as hard as possible to cancel, so we had to sit on the phone for 40 minutes with them (35 minutes on hold). I was DONE with them as soon as they raised their rates, AGAIN, adding another fee, called "Universal Service Fund", which is supposedly to "improve their infrastructure", while I haven't seen them doing anything but getting worse. It's another hidden fee allowed by the FCC for corporations to make more profit. I'm glad I got rid of them.

Speed test (hey, an F+ is better than an F!):

member for 1.9 years, 678 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Rob_
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Can you get cable

I'd dump them for cable, Centurylink is horrible. $125.00 is rather steep when you can get Vonage for $12.12 for unlimited North American calling.. (Vonage basic)

If you go to www.whitefence.com you can see what's available in your area.

-Rob

jdb

@centurytel.net

Re: Can you get cable

But with vonage you still need internet access separately. They 'forget' to tell you that...

Re: Can you get cable

And, also, you need a RELIABLE and FAST connection for VoIP, so that would be impossible to use on C/L 1.5.

jdb

@centurytel.net
heh-whitefence shows only century and hughesnet-lol

1 recommendation

Whitefence.com is nothing but an ad for HughesNet, that's the only thing that always come up and everyone knows it's terrible! C/L is great here but it depends on your location.

Port Orchard, WA
Yep, switching to cable (Wave Broadband), sometime in the next couple weeks.

Re: Can you get cable

BMcCoy, you are going to have even worse problems with cable! They will keep raising the rates every year or maybe every 6 months and will keep doing it even if they can't provide service, until you get disgusted and cancel.
CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

We Can Help

Hi bmccoy, my name is Joey and I'm with the @CenturyLinkHelp team. We want to help look into this for you. We can check to see if there are upgrades scheduled that would allow faster speeds for your DSL service. We can also look at your account pricing since it seems to be a bit high assuming it's a residential connection. We may have a better deal we can offer you. Contact us at TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com. Thanks.

Joey H
@CenturyLinkHelp Team
TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com

Jeanette

@charter.com

Century Link Fraud

We were bundled with Quest since 2005, then Quest sold out to Century Link. During the time we were bundled with Quest and had moved to WA state we noticed a charge on our acct by MSN. We have never used MSN so I called both MSN and Quest and found out that were had been paying for service we had not received. Quest refunded our money for the 18 months that we had payed for. Recently I decided to change to Cable, since our bundle had increased in price over the years. When I printed out our Century link bill, I noticed a charge of 18.95 for MSN on our acct. I notified MSN and was told that it had been happening a lot and they gave me a claim number and I was told that someone would call me. Well after 2 weeks of going back and forth between Century Link and MSN, I am told that neither can refund my money. I had been charged for MSN since Nov 2010.

Re: Century Link Fraud

Jeanette, why didn't you keep track of what you were paying? If you are a sucker then everyone will take advantage of you!

Online again

@clearwire-wmx.net

Qwest/Century Link

I went with qwest/century link 10+ yrs ago, and just last yr. NEVER AGAIN!. Poor speed for price, over-billing, mixed up billing, runarounds, > Collections. Period!. INCOMPETENT!.
They should have their corp. charter revoked.

Re: Qwest/Century Link

Online again, you can't make blanket statements like that. Here in AZ cable is terrible but C/L is reasonably priced and works great after they installed fiber near me so it depends on your location.

Location

Location is everything. If you truly want screaming fast Internet and you are willing to pay for it then move to NYC, Chicago, or LA where you can find 100Mbps or faster- if you are in the right neighborhood. LV will get you 45Mbps if you are in the right location. It should be pretty fast in the alpha cities of SF and Denver - if you are in the right location.

Trying to define rural America is much like trying to herd cats. It's different for everyone. I am rural. I am 160 miles from a large city (million or over population). I've lived in this environment in three states. Areas with less than 500000 don't gain traction with second tier telephone and cable companies. Generally you don't find AT&T or Comcast unless there is a college with 20,000+ students, or there is a large medical/research district and large corporations like State Farm or CAT. Location and volume density is where IT'S at.

FIOS, DSL, 2.5 all have limitations. The screaming fast satellite? The most expensive plan is equal to about 5Mbps in the right location. What they don't tell you is the 4 they promote is over 2.5 and it still has to travel 22,000 miles unless there is a physical building on earth. There is one in the U.S. for Direct TV customers.

Most rural is delivered over copper. The DSL limit over copper is about 7-8/1 because of overhead and the Last Mile. After you pass the mile, speed slows. The farther out, the slower the speed. It is a fact of life; ask any EE. No telco is going to bring FTTH or FTTN to a town of 2000 - even when it is in the local office. It is doubtful that bonded DSL will happen. If you have a reliable phone and steady Internet be happy. If you don't, the phone company can fix it providing your inside wiring is good, there is no problem from the source to your house, and your equipment plays nice with the telco equipment. More often than not it doesn't. Frequent interruptions and rebooting is a red flag. I replaced 5 routers before I found one that worked.

How does telco explain to you your new D-Link router isn't working properly when you know it is? My engineer friend sent me a couple of routers that worked perfectly in Dallas on AT&T and TW. Both were useless on CL where I live in the middle of nowhere. CL 7/1 is faster than AT&T in the three counties that surround me. Comcast is not any faster. It is rural and they all have the same problems with copper and towns that are 10 to 20 miles apart. The fastest business where I live is 15/5 from cable an it is about $175 with tax. I pay $100 less for 7/1 and 5 year lock. It is a major improvement over 4/1. It is steady an the phone is 98% reliable all the time.

Re: Location

I've switched to cable and have been a mostly happy customer ever since. I'm lucky to have a local ISP, and I signed up for the 15/2 plan last year. They now are upgrading their max speeds to 110/10, and upgrading my plan to 55/5 for free.
You're definitely correct, location is what really matters.
The reason your modem probably didn't work is because CenturyLink uses VDSL in most areas (I happen to still have ADSL), so you need a VDSL compatible modem.

Re: Location

As far as I know it is is still ADSL (7/1; it was 4/1) I live in a Faraday's Cage. After the D-Link and the others that only worked for a few weeks each, I bought a ASUS plug n play N router when they first came out. They upgraded modem to Zxytel. No problems since.

I am glad someone understands this because I surely do not. Thank you very much.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

said by ArizonaSteve:

said by ArizonaSteve:

So the first quote you make an obviously "blanket statement" as you call it. Then in the second quote you call someone else out for doing as you do. What gives Steve?
brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ

Re: Location

Cable companies are known for consistent price hikes, even with diminished service (Cox is the main provider in Phoenix metro, and they're terrible for that)

Qwest/US West put FTTN pretty much everywhere here, so CenturyLink's network here is way better than anything Cox could offer a majority of the time.

Although, i've had Insight (best cable co i've ever had), Time Warner, WOW!, Comcast, and Cox and have had the cable internet issues that he's describing on pretty much all of them (except Insight - RIP), and even if you happen to look at cable internet reviews it says pretty much the same thing.

Re: Location

Again, it depends on your location. I happen to have a local cable ISP where I live, and its internet speeds are much better. 110/10 is the highest tier I can get with my new ISP.
brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ

Re: Location

Well here we can get 150/30 from Cox, but CenturyLink also offers 100/40 through pair bonding here if you're close enough to the box.

Cable still generally has congestion issues for many people (especially on systems the cable operator opted to go SDV instead of just doing a plant upgrade to 1GHz)

The only way any ISP should be going at this point is just fiber to the home, but until forced to provide reliable internet service through a common carrier law nothing is going to be done.

Re: Location

I've been using cable for over a year now and have had no congestion issues at all. ArizonaSteve was wrong, it's been around 14 months since I've switched and I was able to get my 12-month promotion renewed for free with my rates staying the same. As I've said before, I'm never switching back until CenturyLink decides to stop severely neglecting their rural customers.

Re: Location

Arizona Steve's assessment may be correct in his area, and your assessment may be just as correct in your area.

In my area neither CL or the local cable WILL provide enough affordable uplink for a reliable VoIP connection. I need a house phone for medical. My only choice is CL's version of DSL over copper that pretends to be POTS except when it is raining, when it is windy, and when some dummy screws up circuits. Trying to convince CL - that never EVER admits to any service related issues - is like trying to backstroke up Niagarah Falls. Here an example.

Yesterday I needed to contact my bank 60 miles away. Fast busy signal. My EE in TX had no trouble calling. The CL executive level employee in CA had no trouble with it. A CL suit was arguing with me until I forced him to listen while a state employee in my house made the call on her cell phone. He heard the bank recording. Only then was my phone fixed.

It took about an hour of my time to convince CL once again the phone does not work properly as promised. This will be a continuing problem in tiny place rural America -- the last town on earth CL wants to service. I will continue to hold their feet on the fire because nothing else works as well as CLs sloppy DSL over copper. Our plant has a 100Mbps "through put" yet only 1.5 is provided outside our tiny town of 2000. There will never be a FTTN or FTTH here because CL does not have to provide any service except a wireline. There is no money in it.
CL does not compete with its sister phone/cable company that shares the same office and same fiber.

My two house phones cost nearly $200 each, and the handicap phone is $400. I have the right equipment for every phone company in America.

Emp

@75.161.160.x
Actually fiber is set out on a grid grid system, back and forth. So your neighbor across the street could be on the right side side and get a 40mb while it loops back around towards you miles down and you only get a 7mb.

Goose15t

@76.1.0.x

Worst customer service ever!

I have century link and it is by far the worst customer service i have had with anything in my life. I have had bad waitresses but they have never been as bad as the service i get from Century Link. I call to upgrade my internet speed and get lied to about what speeds i am suppose to get and what speeds I can upgrade to as far as upload speed. I get it worked out and someone comes to my house to pre-setup for the upgrade. The guy cut my wire to install the new one and had no intention of installing it for me to have internet that day. I was lucky enough that I was present to ask him and make sure I still had internet. He got it back connected but I had to suffer for over a day of less then 1mbps of download and less then .1mbps of upload which is possibly taking you back to the early years of internet. They tried to give me the run around to get that issue fixed, and to top it all off my upgrade was scheduled to be done for today Feb 13th 2014. So I called to confirm a timeframe they were going to be at my house and the response was they scheduled it for the 18th now. When I talked to a supervisor she told me that nothing could be done and that they probably will not be able to install until the end of the month and that the 18th is only a tentative date now. Immediatly i told them I am looking for a new internet service and that I will call them when I have one and will be canceling their services. I recommend that no one I MEAN NO ONE get their internet services at all. It expensive and a huge waste of money.

·Wave Broadband

Re: Worst customer service ever!

100.00 a month for telephone service and 1.5Mbps DSL is a total rip off, IMO. I'm now paying 124.00 a month for much more reliable internet, phone, and even TV. I'm never going back unless CenturyLink makes some huge changes or starts providing FTTH.

Review by zinx772 See Profile

• Location: Bargersville,Johnson,IN
Good "In-field tech support"
Bad "Service, reliability"
Overall "Better than satellite but not by a lot"

Phone support is non-existent, online no better. Intermittent outages on a regular basis.

Comments:

Review by aniota See Profile

• Location: Seattle,King,WA
Good "vast majority of the time, service great."
Bad "techs fail to realize some customers know what they'er talking about"
Overall "generally, good enough to be ignored."

... "aniota.com", is one of the domains i host, on linux, within the centurylink address space, for "YEARS" lately, 'their' dns servers has refused to resolve any of my domains, while resolving all others.

in one 'tech-talk' session, "linux" was obviously the problem, until the distinction between "os" and "protocol" mentioned. in addition, trying to explain, that what "they" are seeing, does not guarantee, i'm seeing the same thing. the modem was mentioned as the culprit, and the failed attempt to access it, invoked the suggestion i access it. i flatly refused that idea. i felt no need to mention the changed username and passwd. finally, i realized i needed a supervisor. i was told it might take a while, to which i replied, "i've got all day". didn't actually take all that long.

the supervisor, mentioned the modem, but could not explain how it 'suddenly' "RUFUSED" to allow my domain's resolution. he did offer 2 differend dns ip's, that also failed. traceroute shows three machines between mine, and their primary resolver1.centurylink.net. mentioning "SERVFAIL" fell don deaf ears.

but hope, does indeed (sic) spring internal.

a later "tech-talk" was a totally different expericnce. this time a woman, that showed a real interest in the problem at hand, and it's solution. while talking to me, she in chat with 3 others toward a solution. this over the course of an hour or so. i decided to beg off, and she was genuinely disappointed at no solution. which i am convinced between my way and their dns server. anyway, "she" was a credit to centurylink.

in looking around, i found the address "dsl-admin@centurylink.com", and got a response saying flushing of caches done, and most would resolve my domains, just, apparently not the one closed to me.

NOTE: i can resolve my domains on: localhost, lan interface, and internet interface, addresses.

Comments:

Review by WOMayhem See Profile

• Location: Columbia,Boone,MO
Good "Reliable connection"
Bad "Speeds are slow, and almost never reach the speeds promised"
Overall "If you have a good cable or fiber provider in your area, consider them first."

I've had CenturyLink for the past 3 and a half years, and overall, the connection is reliable in terms of uptime, but not speeds.
It's your average, DSL connection that offers slower speeds than other ISPs. They only offer speeds up to 40mbps in select areas.

I'm paying for the 20mpbs plan with phone, but I'm going to focus on the internet for this review as the phone service is mostly OK.

The internet the offer is a sad excuse of a connection, as the latency (ping) is consistently high, (around 130-200ms) to almost every server.
This is especially bad and most noticeable while playing multiplayer games. You will probably find yourself timing out or teleporting everywhere.
Overall an awful experience with the internet. The speeds almost never reach what you pay for. You get 2mbps lower than what you pay for at the very least, when there's nobody using it.
And during the summer when there's tons of congestion, watching videos or doing anything on the internet is nearly impossible. Nothing is ever changed, or upgraded, and the support team doesn't know
what do to about it.

So if you have any other good providers in your area, consider getting their services instead of even looking at CenturyLink. There connection is reliable and good enough for the average user who will only surf webpages, but not for any good content streaming or gaming.

Comments:

Review by Addikt10 See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR
  • Telco party CenturyTel

Gigabit Fiber Internet from CenturyLink, in Portland, Oregon.
Installer showed up on time. It took about 4 hours to run overhead Fiber to the house, and install all of the pieces.
My house was already wired, so that is about all the installer did.

I purchased the Actiontec 2000A (not really a modem. Router? Let's call it a router)

The sales person wasn't that familiar with gigabit actually being available to customers, so it took about 45 minutes to start the account and order the service.

The Service so far has been almost incredible. 940 Up Down from CenturyLink Portland to Condo Internet in Seattle.
I have 5-6ms latency to Seattle.
I downloaded a game on steam that peaked at 82MB/s. That says eighty two megaBYTES per second.

I've had some slight issues with video streaming that seem to have been resolved for at least a day, will update if I see that is long term.
The issues were that while it eventually streamed HD from Comedy Central and Netflix, it took minutes to get there.

So far, I am happy, but I am in my first month. Will update the price when I get a full month's price, with no install charges etc.