CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by GilbertMark See Profile

• Location: Gilbert,Maricopa,AZ
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Easy online sign up and LOW prices even without the price lock, PROFESSIONAL installer!"
Bad "Automated phone call led to ugly support call!"
Overall "Glad Cox has competition!"

·Cox HSI
Update 9/20/14

We have just passed the 1 year mark of service and our bill has gone from $52 a month to $86 a month. No increase in service for us. We have the 20 meg down package with local phone only. No TV. The honeymoon is clearly over. I'm looking into alternatives.

I looked at Cox again but their cheapest package is $77 a month but I don't want TV and the internet is a lowly 5 meg down service. Dish is a joke as their internet if you're lucky is 15 and they force you to lease the equipment. Don't know what I'll do. If I knew Centurylink service was going to be reliable I would've signed a price lock guarantee. But after our MISERABLE experience with AT&T DSL I'll never sign a DSL contract again. Basically we paid them for lousy service, tech visits that did nothing and a waste of our time being lost from going to work to meet with those people.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------

Update 11/11/13

Well we called today. We told them we never receive a normal bill. We go straight to disconnect notice every month. The problem with the disconnect notice is it only provides an amount due, it doesn't list the breakdown of the price. We're getting hit for about $14 in taxes so it's not a $38 bill.

Also anyone who signs up online (like we did) receives disconnect notices for the first couple months... Weird.

Update 11/9/13

We've received two bills since our service began. Both of them were disconnect notices. And both of them were for $100 +.

Do they have monkeys working in the billing department?

When the heck are we going to start seeing bills for $38? We signed up for a $38 dollar a month account. I have all the screen shots of the sign up process to prove it.

NOT IMPRESSED with the billing department so far as I have to worry about being losing service every month.

Update 11/1/13

We experienced our first DSL outage on 11/1/13. It started around 7 p.m. and lasted until midnight. It was a big outage and affected the entire Phoenix area. Eh, things happen no big deal.

Update 9/12/13

We've had service for 1 week and endured a couple days of heavy rain (which would normally wipe out or DSL back in San Francisco in a heart beat) and no issues whatsoever. A Century Link person rang our door bell today. Sadly, I heard none of the conversation. My better half says he said something about having upgraded the neighborhood recently with faster service? Speedtest says 30 ms ping, 24.35 Mbps down .81 Mbps up. Not bad for the 20 Mbps package.

This review is being written on day 1 of service which I think was 14 days (or less) from when we placed our order online. We already had Cox so we weren't in a rush for service.

We were previously with Cox and had the TV, phone, Internet bundle. We'd always hated the prices and tried over the last 6.5 years to downgrade services to save money. We tried to remove things but they'd tell us they were just going to raise the price on the remaining items. We got rid of the digital box, downgraded the TV package. It lowered the bill a little but finally we'd had enough. Cox clearly doesn't care about long term customers so we left. $110 for phone and Internet? Bye.

We went to CenturyLink's site and signed up. $34.18 for phone and Internet. Yes we were losing nationwide, but so what we have tons of rollover minutes on the cell phone. The download speed wasn't as good as what Cox advertises (which I don't believe is true anyway as it was the 50Mbps Premier package and we weren't getting that speed). We ordered the 20 Mbps service package and decided to buy the modem. We didn't select the price lock guarantee so we'll see how long our rock bottom price lasts.

The modem arrived two days before the install date. It didn't have a manual so I looked around online. We received the C1000A (which from Amazon and other reviews looks to be a real hunk of junk). I set up all the equipment next to our Apple Extreme base station which will handle the wireless work. I hear it's best not to tax the CPU in the Actiontec modem.

The following day we received an automated phone call from CenturyLink and my wife didn't catch all of the message. It said something about our install appointment. She called CenturyLink to find out what they wanted. The person who helped her started out okay with trying to be informative but the call quickly turned into a scripted sales pitch. My wife got flustered with the call (I don't blame her I hate this crap too) so she gave me the phone. I have no patience for customer service people especially when they stick to the script so I let him have it telling him we didn't call for a sales pitch, we just wanted information.

The installer Luis arrived a day later. My wife was home and Luis was very professional. We were initially told on the phone that no one would come into the house as we had not selected to have the equipment set up nor a computer set up (which we didn't need being people who have grown up around technology since the 70s.)

He was happy all the gear was set up already and wired and easily accessible so he proceeded to do his thing. He called in to port our number. While he was waiting on hold he directed my wife through the setup and had her disable the built in wireless (she told him we wanted to use our airport instead). She opened a browser and continued the setup process and got us online in no time.

The Airport Extreme was blinking yellow but worked fine. We had a double NAT situation so I shut that off in the Airport. My wife tested our connection and it runs faster than Cox did. I came home to working Internet. It was nice that I didn't have to do anything besides shove the desk back in place. I love that we only have one modem now instead of the two Cox made us use.

I'll keep you posted. The last time we had DSL was living in Pacifica (just south of San Francisco) and loss of sync was a daily ritual. It didn't help that the phone lines were all old and above ground and we lived within 500 feet of the ocean. Here in Gilbert everything is new and underground.

I'm waiting on loss of sync issues and the modem dying (as many have written about), and the price to be raised on our service after awhile. We'll see.

Luis you rock! You were the best thing about our experience.

Comments:

linicx

I didn't have ...

No sync issues. I had tons of problems when they upgraded and did not upgrade my modem. I had other problems with the phone and uplink. With your 20/5 you should not have any of those issues.

If you do install a whole house filter in the box on the side of your house. Remove all the inside phone filters. The phone performs better and won't fail (they say) when the internet is down.

Since then I've had intermittent brief outages as they say they move 'things' around. Where we live we probably won't see an appreciable upgrade until DSL and its various reincarnations die.

Review by FarmerBob See Profile

• Location: Littleton,Arapahoe,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Nothing since the merger."
Bad "Everything since the merger."
Overall "I have moved to Xfinity and don't regret it!"

·EarthLink
·ViaTalk
09/19/14

Once again as prompted by the Trusty DSLR "Staff" who gathered around the water cooler and cried at my review, I update and close with this: I finally got my friend to dump CL and go with Comcast as he was having nothing but problems and CL just couldn't get it right. And in that light, I don't see how they are going to do a Gigabit connection, of which there is only one small area up North off an office park that has business lines of which way down here in the burbs we'll will not see, if at all, in a long time. Even though, I am 3318 feet from the CO and he less, they still can't give us halfway decent service. Needless to say he is very happy now and all his toys and wife are very happy now. I even got him to dump CL's telephone, since it seems that they have no control over the calls the come over the lines and CID, and go VoIP with VoIPO for both his home and office telephone. He really loves this. I have switched 10 people due to the existing and emerging issues with CL telephone service. Am in the process of moving my Mothers service over too. 20 spam calls a day when the number is on the Do Not Call List and you have to pay high dollar to thwart these guys AND CL's processing of CID info is abysmal and prevents you from effectively dealing with SPAM calling. VoIP products have so many free features that help deal with this new influx.

Over the past year or so my area has become a big (high priced) house selling area and we have many new families. One is across the street from me and we were talking yesterday about the dynamic difference in QoS from there capitol city home and the new place in the suburbs, which isn't all that suburban anymore. They went with what they knew and stayed with CL before really checking things out. They are severely upset, what with 3 teenagers in the house and crap service. I am trying to get them some relief through my connections, but doubt anything can be done. Otherwise it would have been done long ago and I and so many others in this area wold still be Qwest/CL customers. They cost themselves the business.

10/19/13.

I don't remember writing on the 11th. Just 8 days ago. And if I did I would have written this: I have a neighbor that has all the Internet toys I have and uses them on CL DSL. What a mess. He just won't move to Comcast for real Internet. And since he's looking to "cut the cord", he'll need a good Internet connection. After the big rains he had, he had service issues and they came out and cleaned up 40 years of junk wiring, which I did on my own years ago, and did some new fangled thing to split the DSL and telco at the user box (which is done in the modem a couple of feet further on). Makes no sense to any one what they did, but it did nothing for his service. So unless this is for a surprise upgrade, as I have read that they are doing, the work done seems irrelevant.

So in this conclusion, some services are better than others, and it all looks to be the luck of the draw AND the hope that they don't do anything once you're set.

UPDATE: 10/11/13:

So glad I left CenturyStink. Don't believe a thing they say or advertise. They are slowly dying and the industry analysts say it's only a matter of time.

UPDATE: 12/16/11:

Going on a week with my new service and all is very well. All the issues that I had with my VoIP service are gone with no packet loss now. General access to the Internet is lightening fast and very stable compared to CL. After all, a stable connection is better than a fast one. I have both now.

All is good so far. Will be having the telco shut down and removed this week. 5 less cables running to the house and for me to worry about.

UPDATE 12/10/11:

Just had Xfinity installed this afternoon. OMG!!! What a difference and at a fraction of the price. If this does not turn out to be a dream and things stay "groovy", this is going to fantastic.

Buh Bye, Qwest/CL. It's been . . .

UPDATE 12/7/11:

I was put on the new FTTN in our area 10/10 at a new "faster" speed and all was perfect. Except for being told the change would cost $5 a month and the bill shows $15. Right after CL took over in our area, last Spring, early Summer, I had a two day blackout and since my service has been crap. A TTU agent has tried to do whatever she could but no joy. Both UL and DL speeds are all over the place from 1Mbps to 24Mbps (so I know that great speeds are available and work), suppose to have 12, and service is severely unstable. VoIP will not work, web and mail are really slow now.

So . . . at the end of the month I will be moving to, dare I say it, Comcast. Better speeds, better pricing. I have three new neighbors, one has a Home Automation company and none would consider CL. I can live with the caps for the time being and was told that my account could be easily changed to a No Cap Business Account and possibly with better pricing for fast service.

I have a Qwest review that's more inclusive re-posted below.

UPDATE (11/26/11):

Comcast is installing on Tuesday. Can't wait. Also just got eMails from three neighbors that are between me and the CO (3318'), so they are closer to the CO and "should" have great service, asking if I had made a decision on moving. Once they heard that I was, they want to now also.

I have never seen such a clusterfrak and ardent "forced" migration from any provider, ever. It's as if CL is trying to intentionally kill off their telco holdings.

UPDATE: Adding last Qwest Review prior to the switchover to CL here in case that area "goes away" . . .

UPDATE (11/20/11):

Well the love stopped. The TTU team seems to be on the outside of actual info after the merger. Due to too many unnecessary complications that have arisen from the CL buyout, I have been forced to find another provider. No stability, speeds from 3Mbps to 24Mbps (am suppose to have 12). Leaving mid-December.

UPDATE (10/10):

Things have changed incredibly for the better. Although it took some ranting in forums which got me noticed by the Talk To Qwest Team that is all over now and who have done nothing but take excellent care of me. These people are sharp, work with and talk to you, not at you. It's quite refreshing and a comforting sign that things are looking up. Considerably. Qwest is coming of age nicely and with it their services and (mostly) support. I'm now at the 12Mbps tier and loving it.

Previous Review:

I had 10 Mbps SDSL with Sprint ION from 1998 to 2002 which was chased away by Qwest by not providing reseller services and right of way guaranteed by law. Sprint said it was easier and cheaper to stop the service than sue. I cried that day. ZERO problems for four years and 10 Mbps SDSL and four Digital Phone Lines for $120 a month. I then fled to several other providers that in the beginning promised the moon, but once again Qwest got in the way and they eventually went away or got real slow and expensive with lots of excuses (Speakeasy). So after years of having to move around Qwest finally offered ADSL at a half way reasonable (bundled) price. After having all the problems that I have had with third party companies not getting the support that they needed from Qwest and the fact that no matter what Qwest was going to be in the "loop", and I would get a far better price for the speed, I went with Qwest. My first indication of trouble should have been the botched install coordination. It took five different Sales Reps to get it right and two of them I knew from having worked there years ago.

In the beginning it was great. After time and growth in my area, my once pristine phone lines that once carried 10 Mbps SDSL, oh I'm 3300 feet from the CO, are all beaten up from the addition of additional lines. So from 10 Mbps, well 7 with Qwest to 4 if I am lucky. The final report was that the lines from the CO to the Crossbox, the first third of the loop, are damaged. But from the Crossbox to the house are perfect. So why won't they fix what they have broken. They won't really say hiding behind their acceptable speed policies. So here I sit at a distance the many would kill for with a service that is mediocre at best. Oh and Fibre won't be coming here for a couple of years since this area is just fine as it is now. Plus it's Fibre to the CO that will not do me any good.

So . . .

member for 13.7 years, 1553 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Alucard

Well

The same thing kinda happened to me also. Honestly it just your standard tech being lazy. So sometimes you gotta make a few email's to the ceo and your good

I was with xfinity (it was comcast when I had it) once. They always screwed up on my bill for some odd reason.

Hicup

@comcast.net

Re: Well

Location is key. My neighborhood gets great service from both. I have been a tech for both companies in the past and they have good / bad neighborhoods.

Yeah exactly.

Your going in blind with isp's

trial and error

@OP: based on your new update. Your neighbor must of gotten pair bonded which stabilizes the line and improves it.

And I read wrong

They must be prepping for a upgrade to fix stuff or idk

Review by krypt08700 See Profile

• Location: Midwest
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (36 month contract)
Good "Solid connection, Advertised speeds"
Bad "Epic mess with initial install"
Overall "Nice second/backup internet"

·Mediacom
I added CenturyLink for a second/backup internet service provider.
This is a business internet only connection (no data caps, lower pings, "guaranteed" speeds)

Hardware: Technicolor C2000T (customer owned)
Speed: 8M/896k

»www.speedtest.net/result/3764678077.png

(will finish writing review after receiving first month bill)

Comments:

Review by OOMJR See Profile

• Location: Avilla,Noble,IN
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Things seem good but who's at fault now?"
Bad "Tech support is hard to get, but once you find a good # it's fine"
Overall "Do your homework and 'complain'. Worth it for the end result, just have to bother them on problems. "

9/8/14 Update

Soooo...........

I got a internal ticket started, which escalated to the field tech ticket. Field tech closed his ticket showing no issues. The internal ticket was closed with no resolution. I called and they said it was closed but there wasn't any reason why. I called back again and got Andy on the phone. He emailed some people above. He wasn't going to be in the office for a few days so he would call me back on 9/7 by 2pm. He called 9/7 at 1:40ish and updated me. The email he received was regarding slow speeds and was effecting me area. He said they have a resolution day on 9/11 and the start of the repair would be 9/10. So just a couple day until that happens. He said to call back if this doesn't fix the issue... I'm crossing me fingers. Once this is fixed I'm hoping I can get some sort of credit. Evening internet use is useless. Speedtests aren't horrible 19-25 down and always 2 up but they said this fluctuation can cause streaming issues... I still think it's a routing issue within CL...

I'm going to email Joey and see if he can get some info for me in an email format.

9/2/14 Update

I have had Bonded 25/2 ADSL2+ for a half year now. It's new in my area, so let's say I'm a test subject.

After months of conditioning line pairs and doing numerous tests, the connection holds true to 25/2 with 0-10 FEC RS every 30 seconds... BUT there is always a catch with Centurylink.

In evening hours, I can run tests speeds showing 25/2 with 30-40 latency BUT all streaming services are degraded. My wife can watch anything during the afternoon without hiccups but once 8pm rolls around the service is only good for playing games. I can't run a 720p youtube video. I can't stream HD or Super HD on any device(PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, Galaxy S5).

My local tech has worked his boots off to get this service to run great but not I'm in a haze now. I'm not sure who is to blame because during this time the speedtests still check ok at around 25/2 with low latency.

Netflix isn't any help. Youtube brings up a prompt asking if I'm having issues streaming. Click on it and it shows that Centurylink doesn't do well at all during evening hours compared to MediaCom(Which they show as HD Certified, Centurylink isn't) and advises me to play 480p resolution to avoid interruption!

I thought it was the Wifi, but once I got on the PC and saw it was doing the same my heart sank. I knew I was getting back into the boxing ring against these companies.

To end this part of the review... My local tech has been great but the corporate side has been crap.

I'm paying around $74 a month for 25/2 and I can't watch Netflix or Youtube during the evening without re buffering every 30 seconds... It's a outrage at the price I pay.

12/31/13 Update

Internet is back to a stable state. 10 down and .78 up at all times with 35ms to the closest speedtest server in Michigan.

Good news is they just tested and confirmed Bonded 25/2 which will get installed this Friday afternoon(1/3/14). Since the last post they have installed another 5000 shelf that has 2 gige connections, this will be used to handle the Bonded connections in the area. 5000ft or closer only qualify. I'm at 4500ft. I'll post stats and tests of a before and after on this review plus on a forum thread I've made a while back.

»centurylink Avilla,IN bad again. Fixed 1st time by FCC

9/20/13 Update

Back again to 70+ ping and 1-3 down on CL tests. Speedtest.net is showing 70 ping with 1 down and .76 up. Pingtest.net is showing 80ms with 90 jitter when on a good day it's 14ms with 0-1 jitter. Sync rates are in great standing. IHD team still emailing engineers but haven't heard back from them. Got a pathetic credit 28$ credit on my 45$ bill. They won't fully credit my account cause it's not bad all the time just when it's busy. Congestion resolution time is 11-15-13... So about two more months. Pathetic. I'm letting it go till then. If nothing changes I might be dropping service and just tether my 4GLTE cell phone that has unlimited data. Rage mode right now.

I suggest avoiding there services if you can and wait till they get things fixed. Wait till you see a good amount of updated good reviews 1st.

8/12/13 Update

Waiting for a response from IHD team. Last night was by far the worse. 2-4 down with 300+ ping. Patience is running dry and every time I touch the internet in anyway it just frustrates me more. So I've been avoiding it all for now and letting CL do their job.

8/8/13 Update

Well, I think the loss balance is effecting me again. Back to how it was in June. Slow at peak hours with high latency. Pretty much worthless again. Emailed my contacts multiple times and no one higher up ,including TalkToUs , is responding back. Pretty upset with it all. Wish there was a different provider up here....

8/6/13 Update

After a balance issue between two near by cities the internet was running fine until the outage on Aug 1st, 2nd. After which the internet was slow and unstable until 8/5/13. It now is running full throttle at 13 ms ping to chicago and 10 down .78 up. As of now I'm happy but I'm hesitant to say I will be forever. Things will happen again, I'm certain.

Support is good if you can weave yourself into the correct #'s. Took me a few phone calls to find the right person to talk to. I know have 3 contacts I can email on the issue that by passes the 24/7 line and chats.

Thanks

Matt

5/8/13 Update

So... Supposedly... The CO supervisor, local tech and his managers are in contact via email with corporate. The fix would consist of moving some DSLAMS to a different rack. They have 3 racks, each can hold 3 DSLAMS, one not being used, one used for 6Mbps or lower and one for 10Mbps. The 10Mbps rack is at 98% capacity at night and they don't see the issue at the 24/7 line, not sure if they can. Each rack is also connected to a gigE fiber line.

Waiting game and contacting them each day for updates.

4/30/13 Update

Check out my test history »/testhistory/1782576/cba7a . During peak hours the line quality tests fail due to packet loss. After peak hours the test works ok but there is packet loss. My connection from my Modem to the DSLAM is 8ms. After the DSLAM that's where the issues are. It's on their end and they can't except that very easily. Took me a 48minute call to the 24/7 line to get this through their head. Their finally looking into the issue.

The Central Office is one street west of my house and this morning there was a Centurylink Van there along with a normal pedestrian car(employee?)

.7 to 10 Down during peak hours(5-12:30) .4-.6 Up. Ping of 100+ to 500.

I can usually ping at 30ms and have 10 down and .78 up to chicago.

Yahoo.com times out on pings and traceroutes.

Google.com pings at at least 130ms.

After peak hours it seems to be testing ok but I'm not home to use it... I work 8-5.

This will be the 2nd time I've had ping/bandwidth issues in my area. The first time around phone support and chat wasn't helping so I filed a FCC complaint. They gave me a new modem for free and fix the issue. If came back about a week later and I was offered a tech's direct number. He went out and switch me to a newer card at the Central Office. This fixed the issues until 4/28/13. I seem to be back where I was before. I'm guessing it's a bad card or they are having packet loss on their end. I called the tech and he doesn't work in my area anymore so he wasn't of any help. I called the 24/7 service line and they said I had to average 300ms ping with low bandwidth for them to issue it as an actual problem. I kept on them and they said they would look into it. Put me on hold a couple times to talk to a 3rd party company(that I assumes monitors and remotely fixes issues). They said they would see if they could remotely fix the issue and if this wasn't possible they would send a tech out. The window of the issue getting fixed is 24-48 hours. I'm expecting this to be done within this given time line. If it isn't I will be filing my second FCC complaint against the company, which I don't want to do but I don't like getting horrible service and paying for it.

-Matthew Raupfer

1-23-12 Update

After about 6 months of service my package 10Mbps down and 860Kbps up has become a horrible experience. I'm getting "the engineers are working to resolve the bandwidth issue in your area" line for the last 4 months... I can't get my 10 down anymore at anytime and during peak afternoon/evening hours I will range from .6 down to 1Mbps. My upload usually stays around 860Kbps. I've contacted Joey once again about the issue and a local store about it. Waiting for replies right now. Online chat hasn't helped one bit with the issue.

Ordered 10Mbps/896Kbps

1st day it was installed was able to ping Chicago server @ 14ms with a bandwidth test of 10.5Mbps/860Kbps

2nd day the ping went up to an average of 50ms to the same server.

Called 1-877-646-3282 to see if they had me set on interleaved rather then fast mode.
They told me since I was using a Actiontec Modem and not a rental that they wouldn't support Fast Mode. Also, I never was able to get a answer out of them what mode they were sending me from the DSLAM. She was running me around. At the end she said that there was a fiber issue in my area and they were working on fixing it... I went ahead and hung up.

Went to »www.centurylink.com/Pages/Support/ContactUs/ and did the online chat.
WOW!!! The customer support rep was extremely nice and answered every question I had. I did have to wait here and there after certain questions due to having to look up the info but in the end she was able to tell me I was connected interleaved. She then went ahead and switch me to Fast Mode, then she tested the line.

Online Chat is Superb so far. Phone Support... don't waste your time.

My ping is now back down to ~20ms to the Chicago server and my bandwidth is doing well at 10Mbps/864Kbps.

Overall,

Service has been up 24/7 for 3 months and online chat support is great.

Phone support is terrible. Rude and just want to get the phone call over with.

member for 3.6 years, 276 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Trawocd

@comcast.net

comments

I have heard a great deal of "bad" through acquaintances about cl. You always hear the bad more than the good. This is not an endorsement, although I am considering my options for service at this time. I would like to hear some of what they are doing correctly to help make a decision.
Seems service with a phone call is almost useless, but I see online chats are productive for the informed.

Need more input.
DC

Re: comments

Understand. No mega corporation cares one byte about one kid with school work, or a housebound handicapped person; but business, yes.

Truthfully, for the average user who does not download movies, compose symphonies, or create massive scientific projects on line ... 10/2 will support a digital phone and a rock solid internet connection very well, but. When a local CO is pushed to the breaking point it usually does.

The one thing a telephone company can do that cable cannot do is separate the phone side from the Internet side of the service. Thus when the telco and cable are offline, the telco phone will continue to work. It's a federal requirement that telco maintain is backup power for the phone system in their communications center (co). It might be six blocks from your house or 20 miles from your office, but you can bet there is a very large backup power source for your phone.

·TracFone Wireless
Trawocd, your best bundle is CL landline phone, Comcast Internet speed, and Dish crystal clear signal. It will cost you between $150 -$250 (depending upon the options you chose) plus the cost of installation, modems, etc..

BTW, you need to join us; you will get more help.

Review by carpetshark3 See Profile

• Location: Idledale,Jefferson,CO

We just have copper DSL - a holdover from Qwest. We don't have Prism, don't want Prism, and use cell phones. I prefer GSM phones, and CL seems to be linked to a CDMA carrier. Don't want VOIP. No way of not hearing any call. Each cell phone has its own number so we don't have to listen to idiot marketers on the answering machine. Cell only since 2007 and happy with it. No package. We have a good digital outdoor antenna. All we need is internet access.

The DSL service isn't too bad. Runs our Roku. We only watch MLB, and PBS on the Roku. Movies, sitcoms et al, don't interest us which is why we don't have cable or satellite. We just got a router from Century Link.

Not much of a review, but we like what we have and it's sufficient.

member for 10.6 years, 2170 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MGinwyo

@184.7.47.x

Horrible Service, 20% of promised speed - Oversold and they don't care

Century link is an incredibly dishonest DSL provider. I have had miserable service for the entire year (2014) and longer. They use false advertising and intimidation when you challenge them on their failings. STAY AWAY or you will see what I mean.

Centurylink says they CAN provide any amount of signal they want as long as it is a signal. I get 2mbps or less regularly at all times of day and night and I am getting what I contracted for paying for 10MBPS speed. No matter what you pay for, (An agent told me this). 2 agents have told me thats what I get for living where I do. Also that I just have to put up with it. They also said I have no recourse and would not guarantee if I lowered my contract service to 3mb that I would get even 1mbps.

Centurylink provides online tools to diagnose speeds which are providing false info compared to other similar independent tools. Try theirs and try another one and see they often have 75% or less showing with an independent service.

Centurylink has been in an oversold service in this area for at least 9 months and no resolution. They do not tell existing or new customers of the issue unless pressed for service complaints. During this time Centurylink has continued to sell more service with promotions and advertising in this area to new customers further decreasing the signal quality for all existing customers

Low speed is bad enough but Signal quality is too low to make some devices not work such as a verizon phone extender. Regular signal quality is less than 60% and often under 20%

Centurylink has repeatedly provided me dates for resolution which began in March '14 and have never been met. at least 7 different "fix dates". I do not believe they intend to resolve the oversold (bandwidth exhaust) situation but will instead continue to use false advertising and deceptive practices on their customers.

Centurylink will not provide compensation for failure to deliver an average 50% of contract stated bandwidth.

Try Centurylink at your own risk.

SeattleRetro
join:2007-01-07
Seattle, WA

Re: Horrible Service, 20% of promised speed - Oversold and they don't care

Let us know your location--CenturyLink has a wide span.

HSIM

@174.21.215.x
I totally agree! This company SUCKS in every aspect - speed, reliability, support, technician level, on and on. Simply should got out of the business.

Review by brybarnes See Profile

• Location: Justin,Denton,TX
Good "its internet access"
Bad "high latency, wildly fluctuating DL speeds, lousy support"
Overall "it's DSL (Internet) in a rural area"

Its a forced choice option, its the best of the worst.
Satellite is better, although there are data caps and huge fee's
I am just outside a service area for WiMAX solution.

I am just fortunate enough to even have internet at this location, cell tower (laughable "4G" is way slower).

Comments:

Had enough

@71.209.37.x

-2 recommendations

My internet service

This is a horrible dishonest company for over a year and a half this company has allowed a streaming device connected to my internet. They knew the woman's email address nreynoldsid@gmail.com and her name Nancy Reynolds. This allowed access to my home my security device ALL personal info passwords etc etc even the death of my dog. Yet they did nothing. I got smart and started taking pictures with all hacking with my iPhone. Now I get to clean up their crime scene and my credit report companies like this should not be in business and that woman should be behind bars! I hate century link they didn't keep me safe they let it happen called aiding and abetting.

Review by Cartuner See Profile

Good "Nothing!!"
Bad "Everything!"
Overall "This service is the worst I have ever gotten. "

Centurylink is a horrible service. Crappy costumer service and really slow internet. They say you can get up to 40mps, what they don't mention is that that is split in half due to a duel server or something. They false advertise and people actually get this shit. I was stupid enough to get the bundle for a year. I had so many arguments with customer service, it's ridiculous.

From my own experience to save you!! Don't get this service.. You'll regret it.
I hope the best.
Thanks.

Comments:

JPoster

@216.113.168.x

I am about to get service because I am forced

I need internet for my work....and the only service that is offered is Centrylink. So far my experience hs been horrible and if this is what it will be like, I can only hope something puts these guys of out of business so we can let a competent company

cburdett5

@174.27.207.x

Worst service and customer service ever

Century link are lairs about the service they provide, they say its going to be 40 mgbt then you only get 25, the customer service is horrible I have argued about my billing for months and no one communicates with the other, and they never fix the problem, save yourself some time and money and go with another service provider.

Review by percy See Profile

• Location: Eden Prairie,Hennepin,MN
Good "It worked, most of the time."
Bad "Extremely limited bandwidth on Netflix, Hulu etc..at peak time"
Overall "might work for you if you dont care about watching HD video at peak hours"

Was with Centurylink (formerly Qwest) for 15 years!

Last year was horrible. My main reason for dumping them was the extreme loss of bandwidth when watching video services (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon..) at peak hours. Even worse was that all along the 2+ months I spent with their techs to get to the bottom of this they knew all too well that it was their choked up antique lines or it was a delibrate concious effort to limit bandwidth. Moved to comcast and no problems since. Oh and I had their land line too so they lost that business from me as well. Now I have phone and internet from Comcast.

Comments:
brad152

Works fine for me..

I use all of the above on my 40/5 connection just fine, and my DSL is $19.95/mo to boot.
BlakePaulson

join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN
·T-Mobile US
·Charter

Re: Works fine for me..

Because you're in Arizona which is a lot different of a place than Minnesota.

Just because it works perfectly where you're at doesn't mean it will be so everywhere.

Also I'm sure the $19.95 price is a bundle package or a super promo, as there's no way they do that price as an everyday price.

neill6705

join:2014-08-09
How long have you had them? I'd guess your price will go up to $60-80 after 6 or 12 months.
Big Dawg 23

join:2002-03-27
Northfield, MN

Similar experience

I have CL 20/1 which drops a lot to 15/.5. Doing full HD can create issues and the horrible upload knocks out my work VPN. Minnesota lacks good speaks in most parts. I personally thinking of return to Charter I left there years ago.

Also

Your distance from the plant makes a difference too. Speed varies greatly in rural areas. It is what it is.

When companies merge it is usually chaotic for clients for a few weeks as new and old networks merge and new equipment is switched for the old. Once the switch is complete then the tune up begins. No one bothers to explain to the customers why things don't work on B like it did on A. When every thing is completed the new company may be quite good.

What consumers do not understand about FCC is they license telephone companies. These companies are obligated to give you a quality voice line and nothing else.

Cable is not obligated to do anything except provide a cable package. Most cable is provided by a telephone company. It is not licensed by FCC except to the extent it is mandated by law to maintain telephone lines and nothing else. It is why Sandy Hook has so much trouble with Verizon - an FCC licensed telephone company d/b/a wireless provider.

The Internet, VoIP phones, Skype, e-mail, streaming, Hulu, Netflix, cell phone towers, tablets, etc, are not licensed or regulated by FCC. It is what it is. It is controlled by the provider you pay and the equipment you buy for personal use.
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Aww... Miss Qwest? Yeah we all do.

Sometimes, you just gotta' ditch the techs and DIY, because unlike the techs at Qwest who bent over backward for ya' these guys don't know ****, even about their own company.

neill6705

join:2014-08-09

Re: Aww... Miss Qwest? Yeah we all do.

I've been very happy with CL. Qwest had us stuck on 1.5mbps service for years. A couple years after CL took over they put a DSLAM right in my neighborhood and I got 20mbps. Also, the quality of the service hasn't really declined either. We've had one outage that happened just this past week when we got a storm that caused flooding and 60+ mph winds. Other than that it's been fine.

Review by dewi See Profile

• Location: USA
  • Telco party @link
Bad "So slow and expensive!"

I paid $40 for 9 months was slow.
Then the next 3 months for automatic payment paid $ 35 still slow and remain the signal lost from the laptop, so I have to keep plugging in on the outlet. Turn to no wireless since got stuck all the time to the wire.
Now after a year, contract done, price so ridiculously $ 57 for just an internet and still with those unresolved problem.
Start searching for another provider.

Comments:
brad152

WiFi?

So you take the time to just go buy a $20 wifi router to see if maybe it's your laptop or the CenturyLink provided one, you post here?

Just go buy a $20 wifi router (or $30 from new egg DSL Modem/WiFi AP in one to save the $7/mo rental fee) and call it good.

Review by amyblue See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR
Good "Not a single thing. NOTHING."
Bad "Service. Support Availability. Customer Service Reps EVERYTHING!"
Overall "This company should NOT be allowed to be in business."

I signed up for the 40Mbps plan for $34.95/month during the first week of June 2014. We averaged around 2.7Mbps but never quite reached 4Mbps download speed. I tried calling in to troubleshoot and found their call center hours impossible to work with and they had NO option to communicate through their website (imagine that as a metaphor... an internet company that doesn't know how to utilize their own website for business purposes). They claim their business hours are from 8am-6pm Monday through Friday but I could never reach them past 4pm. I received a message that I needed to call back during business hours. If they do not have an online correspondence option then these hours are not reasonable for anyone who works a 9-5 type job. When I finally reached a rep, she was dismissive to my concerns about slow speeds. She offered no solutions and would not reduce my bill or switch me to a smaller plan at a lower rate even though my area was not ABLE to reach anywhere near the speeds I was paying for. At this point I was only 2 weeks into dealing with them so I asked to disconnect my service. I got disconnected but thought we had resolved closing the account. I received a bill soon after and discovered they had NOT disconnected me as I had requested. I called back again (mind you, to do this within their insane call center hours, I had to call during my lunch break, sit on hold for at least 30 minutes, get transferred from one surly, unhelpful employee after another to whom I had to repeat my account information to each time. To each and every one, I confirmed my identity and told them I wanted to disconnect my service. I had to repeat myself so many times only to run out of time on my lunch break and have to hang up before they could process my one simple request.

Now it is 3 months into the ordeal and I have called a dozen times to disconnect but still they are charging me for service. Today when I called to disconnect, the employee told me she could disconnect me but I would receive a $200 disconnection fee because it is after my 30 day grace period. So all total, we are looking at $450 they are claiming I owe for a service I NEVER received.

Comments:
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Well.. In the meantime...

Have you tried hard-wiring your comuter it should significantly help. WiFi quality with them is poor.

Phoenix, AZ

Re: Well.. In the meantime...

said by greatshow09:

Let me correct that: WiFi on CenturyLink provided routers happens to be poor

Also to the OP, have you tried bypassing the internal wiring on the house? usually that's the culprit with the 40Mbps speed as most houses have old school daisy-chained wiring and it will wreak havoc with a 40Mbps VDSL2 connection.

BobbyMcGee

@216.113.168.x
This is awful service....