CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by puckstr2 See Profile

• Location: Chanhassen,Carver,MN
Good "Outstanding service! We always get the speeds we pay for!"
Bad "Installation took a few extra calls."
Overall "This is the best Internet service I have ever had."

We switched from Mediacom to Centurylink a few years ago when their VDSL2 service became available in our neighborhood in Chanhassen, MN. It has been a world of difference - now receiving the speeds we pay for, ALL THE TIME, and we even added a block of static IP addresses to our package.

The order process was not so great initially; we have multiple phone lines coming into our house and the tech picked the wrong pair. If he had walked to the demarc behind the house (no footprints in the snow), he would have noticed the whole-home filter installed from previous DSL service and a separate line heading up to the modem. It took a phone call to get that resolved. Then they charged us $100 for a truck roll. A lengthy phone call got that charge removed because the tech never entered our home. Finally the service was working.

OK, that said, the service and our Q100 modem is excellent. Service is rock solid. We get the advertised speeds all the time. Not aware of any bandwidth caps. It is refreshing not having to worry about the MB usage. Can't ask for more.

Comments:

Review by saraphillips See Profile

• Location: Seattle,King,WA
Good "Internet did work"
Bad "Internet was set up by someone else for wrong service using personal data"
Overall "Service charged for was not service rendered"

Unsafe to Use, Overcharged for Services, Poor Customer Service

The highlights:
- Did not verify the identity of the person creating the account, who was not me. My employee initiated the service using her personal email and my personal data. Did not take further verification steps for a one-year commitment.

- Sent an “order confirmation” confirming a month-to-month rate, instead charged for a “1 year contract term” and imposed a $200 “early termination fee” for a contract that was neither signed (at all -- there is no contract anywhere) nor confirmed by me.

- Customer service refused to rectify the issue when I caught it during cancellation. Customer service agent blamed me for the problem and refused me proof of the “contract” and accused me of setting up the account myself.

- I offered to pay the difference in the monthly fees retroactively and asked to have the termination fee waived since I didn’t set up the contract and no contract was ever actually signed. Customer service refused to work with me on a resolution.

Overall, they charged me an extra $110 - $130 to permanently lose a customer and earn one star ratings on online consumer review sites.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:

bigjw2

@comcast.net

Outright fraud!

I am a retired transmission engineer from the BellSouth Company. I had Century Link's 20 m/bs service and was overjoyed when they announced that 40 would be available. It was installed and never reached above 30. I had numerous visits and finally they sent a tech that knew he needed to make a proper line loss test. He indicated that the loop would never support 40 and 20 was pushing it. So I gave up and went to Comcast Blast. It has produced well above 50m/bs since I installed it. Meanwhile Century Link wants over $400 for service they never provided. So as sad as it is to do so I will be suing them for fraud and false advertizement. It is a sad day to see one of the last Bell companies sink so far down that it wants to conduct business in such a manner. I therefore would say be ware of these people they are liars and cheats and do not deserve our business. May they soon join all the other communications companies who thought they were to big to fail.

Review by dumas777 See Profile

• Location: Chandler,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Price"
Bad "DSL sucks, upload is garbage, download is slower than cable"
Overall "In my zipcode if you are a cheapskate like me its hard to beat"

Have had CenturyLink DSL 15meg down and 892kbit up (fastest possible in my area) DSL internet service for a year and have to say so far no nasty surprises really (speed consistent, uptime very good, tech support is garbage as is expected). I was paying $35 a month with a DirectTV bundle for one year but it recently jumped up to $50+ a month so I was going to cancel as Cox cable internet is far faster (2x faster download, 15x+ upload) and only $10 more a month. They talked me into another year by cutting price in half. For the price its a very good value but in general DSL sucks. Less than 1 meg/sec upload is garbage and is why the technology is dying. I was getting 15 meg upload with Cox. I was also paying well over twice is much. Basically if you need fast internet go with cable but if you are a miser like me you are not going to get cheaper better internet for the price.

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Prism

If you in Chandler, you should be able to get prism with prism speed.. Around 25 to 40 meg download.
Expand your moderator at work
brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ

DSL is capable of more upload easily

DSL is not limited to 1Meg/sec upload, it's just that's all your line distance will allow.

I have 40/5, and have had 40/20 and 80/40 through century link before, but i also live very close to the DSLAM.

I'll personally take DSL anyway over Cox's horrid network with the ping spikes and when the node gets overloaded (i always seem to live in a Cox neighborhood with that issue) they take forever to fix it, but still want to charge me full price for ¼ of the speed i'm paying for.

Review by dbamber See Profile

• Location: Payson,Gila,AZ
Bad "Run don't walk away from these people!"
Overall "Final BILL, NOT FINAL!!!!!!"

I gave up waiting for a DSL speed increase after 4+ years. I have called a few times a year asking about speed upgrades, and was repeatably told that I would be very happy in a little while. When I commented on a review on the Centurylink forum I got an e-mail response from Talktous@centurylink.com asking for my account details. I responded to them, and within a couple of days they got back to me. Their response was that there were no upgrades planned for my service. I then canceled my account that had DTV, Verizon wireless service, unlimited long distance, local calling, and "High Speed" DSL service. All 1.5 MB download. I received an e-mail notifying me that my service was cancelled, and to wait for a FINAL BILL. I received my FINAL BILL that was $347.14, and paid it on the due date. I have since received an ADDITIONAL Final bill asking for another $18.29. Apparently Centurylink is unable to calculate a final bill, and needs to send a SECOND FINAL BILL. What part of a FINAL BILL being FINAL don't they understand? I paid these clowns about $5,000 a year total, and they then have the chutzpah to send me a second final bill! I am sorely disappointed in this outfit that can't even figure out that FINAL means FINAL!!!!!! Not a here's your second final bill!

member for 11.2 years, 2042 visits, last login: 5 days ago

Comments:

Will Harris

@cox.net

UPS Items Back

I decided not to go with Century Link so I UPS the equipment back to them. I have paid them over $300 and they have the nerves to say they don't have the items and are trying to bill me even more money. Please be aware!!!

William Harris
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Who did you go with

Who did you go with for internet??
bluevista789

join:2014-03-25
Brighton, CO

Bad experience with Qwest.

I ordered Qwest DSL(now Centurylink) service years ago over the phone, I told him I had my own modem which I bought on Ebay, the rep said that's fine. The tech showed up the following week and set up my modem and installed some equipment. It went pretty smooth. But when I got the bill in a month they charged me modem rental fee. I said I used my own modem. The rep insisted that the modem was theirs because the tech told them he gave the modem to me. I even gave the rep the modem's model, she still said that's theirs. I told her the tech didn't even bring in a modem! Fortunately the guy who helped me registered my service remembered what I told him that day that I would use my own modem, otherwise I could be charged rental fee for 2 years!
And also that Qwest technician is not honest, he is a thief.

Review by jclarke99 See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
  • Telco party CenturyTel

Well - there pretty good as the far as sales are concerned - I think there pricing is probably in-line with prevailing costs. They have problems with internet connectivity - in our area their DSL offering is some where between mediocre to non functional. I've been fighting for reliable service for about 9 months - and trust me, it is a fight. On the positive side, Century Link us consistent.

Typical problem and troubleshooting:

DSL 8 Mbps Down, 1 Up

1. Latency exceeds 600 ms (to their gateway) and huge packet losses - often see a second - takes 5 times to sync my email. (I wonder where the data lives for that second?) Forget streaming anything.
2. Call - go through a couple of minutes of menu selections, enter your phone number, put on hold and then cut off..
--- Repeat 7 times ---
(Kinda makes you wonder when a telephone company cannot manage an automated attendant.)
3. Get a person - a pretty nice person. He puts in a trouble ticket - 48 hour response.
4. They send a guy out when I'm away - he checks the wire and finds it's connected.
5. At 44 Hours - the circuit works for 20 minutes and right back to 1/2 second latency. Automated systems calls be to say everything is fine and they close the ticket.
6. Call back - get a person who says they don't have a latency threshold, only download speed - using their tool. Says I need to send another person out to look at the wire - 6th or 7th trip in a year.
7. And the saga continues....

Repeat Steps 1 through 7 periodically.

Good News:
1. You learn the telephone number and prompts by heart - saves time when you call back after your call gets dropped (fast busy)
2. Get really good at running to the basement and direct connecting your PC to the DLS modem and resetting your IP to ensure the problem is not in your equipment.
3. You never have to be surprised - their automated systems will call you back within a few hours of 48 saying your problem is fixed and it will work for 20 minutes then crap out. Consistency

Obviously - they do not monitor circuit health - or their measures have nothing to do with what makes the internet work. Moreover, they really don't seem to care too much if their service has any value. I wonder if they care if I pay my bill??

member for 30 days, 8 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

linicx

Download

Assuming you are DSL over copper there can be a couple of issues. I live in rural Illinois and had the same problems on two different occasions in the same house. On the first, the speed was half as fast in 2007. The copper line had to be replaced before I could maintain a constant stable connection. I dropped for cable for a couple of years and came back in the end of 2011.

The second time I had a different set of connection problems that mimicked what you wrote. I did all the things you did for a year to no avail. Without going into a great detail my biggest complaint - more that the internet problems - was my landline failed on a regular basis.

In the end I found router that was more compatible with my Mac and CL. To fix the phone issue CL removed all the inside line filters, installed a whole house filter at the outside connection, and thoroughly checked every line inside the house. I have had very few problem since.

You are in IN; I am in IL. My nearest town of size is 50 miles in any direction. I am about 6 blocks from the office/plant, and I can see POP outside my window. It is very rare I do not have a clear phone connection or a consistent 7/1. If your equipment is A1 condition, and if your house wiring is A1, and if your connection in your house is A1, then the problem is between your house and the CL plant. If you have a state commerce commission that oversees utilities and telephone do contact them, but beware that internet connection is not what they do. My telephone line was the biggest part of my internet connectivity problems.

Review by gapmn See Profile

• Location: Saint Paul,Dakota,MN
Good "Awesome, reliable and great techs here."
Bad "No way to track data usage"
Overall "I would recommend "

I have had CL HSI for 8 years and its only been down twice for a few hours as far as I know. I pay for 40Mbps and I get a little over 42Mbps on speed tests. No complaints here.

member for 159 days, 243 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mikehd See Profile

• Location: Lebanon,Linn,OR
Good "works mostly"
Bad "bandwidth exhaustion in our area since May 2013 with June 2014 estimated repair date"
Overall "Guess I'll be patient..."

CenturyTel now offers its ADSL service in rural Oregon. I lucked out when they pushed it out to a remote office (blockhouse) about 2 miles from my house. Only one speed available (512/256) for $49.95 per month, no limits on usage. VPN fully supported, dependent on home hardware. No home networking supported. Westell Wirespeed DSL modems used ($120 from CenturyTel), and they allow you to spread the cost over 12 months if you like. Order process was a bit confusing in that the hardware came but no notice what to expect next. Service was delayed 2 days past the promised date due to inexperienced field techs (finally found load coils on my line at the RO). PPPoE with DHCP is used. Actual speeds are typically 450/220. Very happy to have a stable broadband service.
***
Update Jan 31, 2002 - since my first signup with CenturyTel I have experienced about 5-10 days of service interruptions, mostly due to loss of their carrier out of the state. Some troubling tech support issues occurred during the most recent service "brown out" (not gone but slowed way down). I got one tech to tell me that they were having problems on their network, but the second time I called the tech just said that my Netgear RO318 router was the problem. The symptom was slow connection and IP address expiring every 5-10 minutes.

Also, if you check out community.centurytel.net you will see that they are running a promotion where you get your ADSL modem for $49 (regularly $120) and first month of service free if you commit to a year service.
***
Update July 7, 2003 - Service has been very steady and reliable over the past 18 months. Some slow down issues lately where a reboot of the Westell was required to get full 450Kbps speed (512Kbps advertised). Not clear to me why they don't offer higher speed service - is it their hardware? infrastructure?
***
I've been using the news service and their website more often lately and am a bit disappointed to how weak they are in those areas. The news has a very low retention rate, and their website just repeats the same info available everywhere.
Oh well..

July 15, 2003
Thought I would take the time to report a rarity with our ADSL service: an outage today! It may have been foreshadowed by increasing frequency of disconnects over the past few days. Today we could establish synch with the RO, but couldn't find a PPPoE server to get our IP. Just talked with a local field tech who was on his way to the Lacomb RO to turn things back up.

I had contacted the CT 800 number on Sunday (July 13) night to let them know things were starting to have trouble. Monday afternoon (July 14) we got a message from a local field tech to discuss the issue. Today (July 15) we get contact with the same field tech who is going out to fix the problem, and said that he would call back to the house to verify that service was re-established. I'm impressed.

****
More good news on the CT front: they will be offering higher speeds very soon. They have the network capability and have made the business decision to become more competitive with cable (Comcast in Lebanon, OR).

Aug 1, 2003
No news yet as to when CT will roll out the higher speed packages.

June 17, 2004
CT has been offering 512/256, 768/256 packages for a while now. For the same price that used to get you 512, you know get 768.

They also switched to Giganews for their newsfeeds, which has been a big improvement.

Stability has been excellent. Their web-chat CS is not usually useful for me. Their 800 number CS typically results in the problem really being solved.

Bottom line: CT aDSL still delivers.

*****

December 31, 2004 - Happy New Years!

The last six months has been the worst in terms of network stability with CT. Numerous calls to the 800 number result in the usual "all ok up here" and "reboot the modem, disconnect your firewall" routine. Most problems peaked in September, and have again smoothed out in the past month or so. I'm downgrading my rating of CT based on the past 6 months to average overall.

In an attempt to resolve the connection stability issues, I purchased a next generation Westell dsl modem (6100) to see if it's vaunted and hyped technology would enable more stable connects at higher speeds. No help.

I'm back on our old 356 and haven't had to power cycle it in weeks. Service is set to 1500/256 and typically we get 1200/220.

****************

September 5, 2006

CT has upgraded our local RO to be fibre fed. Must say that this is the most exciting development in the world of CT since they discovered aDSL technology. They are apparently now offering 3Mbps and 6Mbps packages but I don't know pricing yet.

Their website portal is still pretty clumsy and hard to find info. Looking for the latest offerings? can't find it here, gotta call them. Their 800 number tech support has been reworked to be more responsive and human, feels like you're working with someone that cares about the issues not just a drone. They still have that delightful southern accent.

Local tech support continues to be strong. Although a recent RO upgrade resulted in our service being left at 512/256, a call to the 800 line got a ticket opened (after the typical modem reboot, no router troubleshooting steps). Got a return call from the local tech who validated our MTU didn't change then set us up the bomb to 1.5/256 again.

Need to see what the line conditioning steps are to get to reliable 3Mbps service.

*******

November 5, 2006

We got 3/512 service this past week. Been very steady. Replaced the 5 year old modem with a new 6100 series. $50/month for the 2x faster service.

********
March 8, 2007

Another round of calling CT's CSRs to get some resolution on our periodic synching issues has concluded. Resolution was attained by insisting they open a repair ticket and having the local tech see the issue from his gear in the Lebanon office. A field tech was sent out to troubleshoot the cable pair. He found a bad splice that was grounding out the pair during wet weather (which we have a bunch of during the winter). Having the local phone number for a sympathetic tech is invaluable, but it is also a responsibility to not abuse the relationship. I still call the CT CSR line to open tickets, but it is good to know I can call (and I get calls from) the local tech for issues such as this.

************
Sept 26, 2007
Further issues with unsynching and speed degradation over a 24 hr period forced me to call in the CT CSR center again. Took a few tries as one of the CSRs wouldn't open a repair ticket if I could reboot my modem to restore speed. Another wanted me to put my netgear router back into service to address the PADT disconnect issues. Sigh. Eventually I got a repair ticket opened and the once again excellent folks in the Lebanon Oregon office were able to track it down to the last piece of hardware: my Network Interface Device. They upgraded it to a new one that uses a whole house splitter/filter. I did three home runs to it: one for data, two for phones. The dsl tech did the final tie in and an excellent job of dressing the cables down to the house. We went a record of 90+ hours without an unsynch or disconnect. The record was broken due to a power bump that reset the modem and router.

Summary: CSRs... meh. Local techs... EXCELLENT!!

Update 10/8/08
August was a month or more of 'nightly slowdowns' where our 6Mbps service would magically drop to less than 1Mbps, then restore back to 6 by morning. Of course there were no issues at CT's end . Noticed a post in the new dedicated CT forum by another local CT user in Lacomb with the same issue. Luckily CT techs are now participating in that forum and were able to investigate a bit for us folks. By mid-September the problem was resolved.

Once again, I am very grateful that CT has invested in our rural community in the technology needed to provide HSI access. I just wish they would upgrade their CSR group and provide them with real tools and real info on the true status of the network.

Update 12/21/09
The past year has been mostly without drama here in Lacomb with Centurytel. We haven't had any issues with the merger with Embarq into Centurylink. Our best service is still the 6/512 tier and it typically performs fine. Our Belkin G wireless router started to develop some issue with stable download speeds (verified by connecting directly to the modem and using Vista's native PPPoE client) so we replaced it with a Buffalo Tech WHR-HP-G54. It's a fine router once you replace the garbage firmware on it with Tomato, but that's not really relevant to this review of Centurylink.

Hoping that CL will invest further and open up the available speeds to >6Mbps down in the new year.

Oh, and sorry for not seeing your reply earlier DSLdude08. I haven't had to contact the CSRs this past year so don't have any performance reports from that end.

Happy Yule everyone!

Update 2/27/2013
The love affair is over. Centurylink appears to have abandoned any real plans to fix the ongoing bandwidth exhaustion out in our area. It has been an issue since May 2013. I'm going to try calling our local techs and see if they can give me any real info. sigh.

Update 3/13/2014
After sending an email to the talktous@centurylink.com I received an update stating that the necessary network hardware to relieve the bandwidth issue should be in place by June 2014.

BTW, I was very impressed with the contact thru the above email. Give it a try if you have persistent issues.

Comments:

linicx

Hmmm

CL has a footprint in 38 states. Most of it is rural. CL must provide telephone service. And while it it required to do so, CL is not required to provide e internet service.

The biggest problem with CL is not CL. It is home equipment and software that is not compatible with CL's system. `
mikehd
What day is it?
join:2000-07-11
Lebanon, OR

Re: Hmmm

Not really. Just got an email thru CL's "talk to us" email that indicates they do have a concrete plan for improving bandwidth in our area. Current plans are a June 2014 completion date.

Oh, I also have CL's modem/router and run Windows systems. What's not compatible?

Re: Hmmm

That's excellent for you! What I said and what meant were two different things. I was tired which is not excuse. I wrote, "The biggest problem with CL is not CL. It is home equipment and software that is not compatible with CL's system." What I should have written: The biggest problem with CL is not CL. It is that NOT ALL brands of home equipment are compatible with CL's system. I have a drawerful from an engineer. It worked fine on his RR system, but not for long on CL. Neither of us understood why. I went back to my Windows roots, bought ASUS and quit having problems.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

Re: Hmmm

The biggest problem is CL's over sells their data lines feeding the DSLAMs.

"Too many" people are trying to use the service that they have paid for.

This has nothing to do with any hardware in any home.

Re: Hmmm

I think the DSLAM issue depend on where you live. I do not have that issue where I live which is very rural. But what I DID have was a hardware problem.

Review by Voxxjin See Profile

• Location: Dupont,Pierce,WA
Good "Cheaper than cable"
Bad "Speeds are not as good as cable"

Just moved to the area (DuPont, WA) and really had the choice of either Centurylink (CL) or comcast for internet. Picked Centurylink because of the Direct TV tie in package. From the initial call to order service it took less than a week for the tech to come out and hook us up. There was a slight mix-up with the Direct TV part. Seems the CL rep decided that when I said I wanted the standard channels, he thought I wanted sandard definition quality and not the regular level of channels from Direct TV. But the Direct TV tech was able to correct that when he came. Seemed to work ok. The rep on the phone said were has 12Mg d/l speed. When I checked we only were hitting about 6. On top of that, every night out internet would go out (could not connect). But it would work normal by 7am the next morning. On the third night it happened, I called CL and I got a tech within a few minutes. After about 10 min we seemed to be able to connect but at a very low speed. The next night it happened again and I called again. Also got a rep within about 5 min. We spend about 30 minutes trying things and nothing worked. I had to end the call without resolution because I had to go. On the following night when it happened again, I spent another 30 minutes on the phone. We tried more things. Nothing worked. They then finally set up another appointment for a tech to come out and check on it. Two days later the tech came out and ended up giving us a dedicated line for the internet. Speeds are at about 12 and I can now surf past 9pm. One of the reps also told me that CL is planning on upgrading the lines again in the next few months and to call back and check to see if faster speeds are available. Total price is about $115/mo for phone, internet and Direct TV. Much cheaper than what I had in Texas with Time Warner. We had some issues as I mentioned at the start-up but things appear to be working now to my satisfaction. Last week I was doubting my decision when I was having troubles but I am feeling better now.

UPDATE: its been a few weeks since our issues. Everything has been working just fine. The speed is still there and haven't had any drops on the internet. I am currently satisfied with CL.

UPDATE: Its been about 7-8 months since the install and the issues I had. Since that time I have not had any problems with my service. No outages, no speed problems, no service calls needed. Everything is working just fine. Because everything has been fine I bumped my connection rating up a notch.

member for 4.2 years, 1467 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MichaelMenor

@qwest.net

Centurylink. /direct T V

Worst thing you could do, they promise everything and delivery nothing but bills that are higher than promised and as I set hear I can not even watch T V as Direct has a problem,
What really needs to happen is people need to file a class action suit against both Centurylink. &Direct T V there is no way they could win in court,,

Review by dragona33 See Profile

• Location: Roswell,Chaves,NM
Good "15 Mb\s on DSL"
Bad "service, monthly cost, speeds (UL), slow to roll out new technology"
Overall "Qwest was great, CenturyLink killed them."

I updated my Qwest review but I was not sure it would be read, so I made a new one.

I signed up with Qwest DSL back in Jan. 2008. All was wonderful and great in my digital world. Then came the news that they were being bought out by CenturyTel. I had read some bad reviews on these forums, But I was optimistic. Well that was sorely misplaced. About 6 months in, I had experienced an outage in the area I live in No big deal things happen. But when it happened again about a month later and this time for a whole weekend. I got worried. I called them and there was nothing on their system about the outage for nearly 6 hours. There wasn't anyone to answer the phone an Saturdays as the call center was closed. There has been a few more outages, but nothing that bad anymore. They are dead slow when it comes to upgrades. and I am only getting 886Kb\s upload.....ON A 15Mb\s CONNECTION, I called them a few weeks ago about a possible upgrade, I was connected to their Salt Lake City call center and the agent sounded like Chong. "Hey man, like we don't got any faster internet there, man." I swear on all that is holy, that he said it like that. Oh yea and like my bill nearly doubled. Sadly I am starting to seriously consider CableOne. Which is in this area, is only marginally better.

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

Qwest was great? Is that a joke?

Qwest was horrible in most regards! CenturyLink is actually a little better since they put DSL in my area, which Qwest would never do.

Review by kinco See Profile

• Location: Cardington,Morrow,OH
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Service has been good since modem change."
Bad "Bandwidth exhaustion for over a year, frequent disconnects, lousy tech support. (Fixed!)"
Overall "If nothing else is available to you, try CenturyLink. If you can get cable, do so."

We initially got our DSL package when Sprint had a monopoly over our territory. It was stellar and we never had any problems. Then Embarq bought them out, changed nothing, and it was still stellar. Then about a year or so ago, CenturyLink bought out Embarq and that was the end of the stellarness lol. We're paying for 6Meg down and 768k up, but the speed tests rarely reflect it. If I get just over half of what I'm paying for, I've learned to just keep my mouth shut and accept it, because every time they send someone out to do repairs, it makes the connection that much more sucky. I'm a gamer and a speed of between 2-6megs is more than sufficient enough to play most games, but the latency is unstable sometimes. CenturyLink's motto here is "as long as you're getting 150MS or less ping time, you're ok." And they fail to realise that 150 IS LAGGY! I can handle between 40-70, but once it spikes to over 100, forget it. It's been pretty stable here lately, so I'm not complaining. But, given all the crap I've had since CTL came here and the fact that I never had any issues with Sprint or Embarq (had the same DSL line/service for 6 years before CTL came here), I couldn't recommend it....at the moment. Once they stop trying to expand their territory and focus on the customer base they already have established, CTL might be the best DSL company in the world. But until then, it just seems like CTL is a guppy trying to compete in a shark's world.

Update 2/24/12: It's not been over a year since our bandwidth exhaust began and still nothing has been fixed. It's gotten significantly worse, infact. Our connection speeds are drop even during non-peak hours. I randomly watch myself get disconnected as the DSL and Internet lights on my modem reset. They say they're making attempts to remedy to situation around here, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Update 7/2/12: We're 'still' in this bandwidth exhaust. The second or third to have lasted for over 6 months. I'm 'really' starting to hate CenturyLink. Atleast Embarq provided what you paid for, even though our cap was 5megs. I'd gladly go back to that if it meant having a stable connection. I called up CTL and asked for any information regarding when the exhaust would be lifted, and the woman acted very coy and said "I can't give you a date, sir". And then basically going on and telling me that it's their new policy. Apparently too many people were given dates and when that date approached and their services still weren't up-to-par, they called up and bitched CTL out, as any rational person would, expecting their problems to be fixed. Our connection problems are actually worse than they were in February. I'm getting random packet loss throughout the day, even during non-peak hours. My latency skyrockets during peak hours, making even the most simple of tasks (loading up a web page) take forever sometimes.

Update 2/28/14: Our internet has been pretty stable since my last complaint, which wasn't good lol. The bandwidth exhaust has been fixed and everything's smooth. As time goes by and the demand for faster internet increases, I'm starting to feel like 10megs is quite low, but I certainly can't complain as I realize the speed is excellent for a rural area. I just hope they bring 20/40 our way some day.

Comments:

UGLYBAD

@embarqhsd.net

TERRIBLE

I have had the same problems for over 2 years in NC. Only after I emailed Karen Puckett with Centurylink did I start getting some attention! Just google her and you will find her email address!

quadman

@myvzw.com

substandard

Tech never showed up. Customer service is HORRIBLE. Big bucks for slow net.
Rpedraja

join:2012-07-05
Cape Coral, FL

Re: substandard

2 years of lousy service. I have them for data, tel service and tv. never get data speed, tv freezes, blacks outs and doesn't respond. Tech support can only tell you to restart modems. I've called VP of customer service. Net net, not worth what we're paying for.