CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by Addikt10 See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR
  • Telco party CenturyTel

Gigabit Fiber Internet from CenturyLink, in Portland, Oregon.
Installer showed up on time. It took about 4 hours to run overhead Fiber to the house, and install all of the pieces.
My house was already wired, so that is about all the installer did.

I purchased the Actiontec 2000A (not really a modem. Router? Let's call it a router)

The sales person wasn't that familiar with gigabit actually being available to customers, so it took about 45 minutes to start the account and order the service.

The Service so far has been almost incredible. 940 Up Down from CenturyLink Portland to Condo Internet in Seattle.
I have 5-6ms latency to Seattle.
I downloaded a game on steam that peaked at 82MB/s. That says eighty two megaBYTES per second.

I've had some slight issues with video streaming that seem to have been resolved for at least a day, will update if I see that is long term.
The issues were that while it eventually streamed HD from Comedy Central and Netflix, it took minutes to get there.

So far, I am happy, but I am in my first month. Will update the price when I get a full month's price, with no install charges etc.

member for 6.8 years, 30 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by schimmy See Profile

• Location: Castle Rock,Douglas,CO
Good "Not much"
Bad "Poor customer service, lack of understading of neighborhood setup"
Overall "They make every excuse in the book of why I can't get faster service"

I use to have Comcast Internet and Cable and a few years ago switched to DirecTV and Centurylink Internet. During this time, the fastest speed I could get at my house was 7mbps down and 896kb up. They promised faster speeds in my neighborhood as an upgrade was scheduled within 6 months.

Well after a year later, I still did not have faster speeds. I started to do some research and noticed that every single street in my neighborhood could get 40mbps down and a somewhat decent speed up. I started calling Centurylink and after 6 months, I heard every excuse in the book of why I can't get faster service except the actual reason of they forgot to upgrade the box that services the four houses in my cul-de-sac. Since they refused to take a look at it and said that I would never be upgraded for speeds, I canceled the service at the end of summer 2013.

When I canceled the service, they provided me with a UPS label to return my modem. Almost three months after sending it and thinking everything was OK, I got a bill saying I never returned the modem. I had confirmation from multiple people at Centurlink that it was returned and that I should ignore the charge, I then received a letter from a collections agency. Spent almost a full year fighting that charge even though every time I called, they said they reversed the charge.

From looking online, it appears I can get up to 20mbps now but they refuse to show me the upload speed online so it leave me to believe it's still around the 896kbps range.

I know they just launched their TV service in my neighborhood but when the sales person came to my door, I asked them about the internet speeds and they saw on their list that the four houses in my cul-de-sac may not be eligible because of slow internet speeds and what was weird that it was only our four houses that had this issue and the rest of the neighborhood was fine....

Since Centurylink took over Qwest, the customer service has been horrible. At least when it was Qwest, I could talk to a local tech about the setup but with Centurylink, they refuse to allow you to talk to the local tech office that actually works in your town...

Until they finally admit to their laziness and finish the upgrade they promises, I will not return to them.

Comments:

Review by jruthLino See Profile

• Location: Circle Pines,Anoka,MN
Bad "The most incompetent company ever worked with "

Centurylink is by far the worst provider i have ever had the displeasure of working with. The utter incompetency of this company is actually impressive. The customer service that this sad excuse of company provided was bar none, the worst experience i have ever had to deal with. Not once, not twice, but three times phone calls were placed to their customer service phone line with hold time reaching over 40 minutes. Once a representative was reach, no resolution was found and another hold time of 20 minutes was put upon me. Four Departments and 149 minutes later frustration had taken it toll and I hung up. I asked for one (1) phone line and the gave me 2. I asked for service throughout the whole house. They gave me one working line in the forth floor basement. I asked for a professional installation, they gave me a phone line literally strewn across my side yard, across my neighbors yard and strung across the the driveway in a tree. I cant fathom how this company is still in business. I have spent countless hours on the phone after only 1.5 months of service to cancel the service, but after I thought the the service was cancelled I'm still getting bills of almost 100 dollars. I now am going to attempt to see a retail outlet and hope the person behind the counter is not a complete moron like most of the people I have had to deal with. Stay away from this company and recommend to your friends and family to avoid high blood pressure by NEVER dealing with Centurylink.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:

Review by bmccoy See Profile

• Location: Port Orchard,Kitsap,WA
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Decent technical support"
Bad "Slow, unreliable, overpriced, false advertising, neglected network, low (and sneaky) caps"
Overall "VERY slow speeds, and outrageous prices. If you are lucky enough to have a different option, go with it."

·Wave Broadband
I have Centurylink DSL (formerly Qwest) and unlimited nationwide calling, and it costs (after taxes) exactly $98.06 a month. The main problem I have with them is that only 1.5Mbps is available where I live, because they don't want to bother upgrading any of their 90's-era equipment installed by US West and/or install a remote DSLAM. When I got this service many years ago, I was promised that they would be upgrading their equipment to get faster speeds that summer. It's been over 7 years now, and they haven't changed a thing.

UPDATE: Still no upgrades planned, according to Doug Morgan from TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com, so I will be switching to Wave Broadband for 55Mbps internet, TV, and phone service, while paying only $20.00/month more. ($120.00-month for phone, internet, and basic HDTV).

Their technical support tries to upsell you more services when the services you already have don't work.

UPDATE 7/9/13:

I switched to cable internet, and it's much better. Phone quality is better, internet is around 22 times faster, with less taxes and hidden fees.

Centurylink wanted to make it as hard as possible to cancel, so we had to sit on the phone for 40 minutes with them (35 minutes on hold). I was DONE with them as soon as they raised their rates, AGAIN, adding another fee, called "Universal Service Fund", which is supposedly to "improve their infrastructure", while I haven't seen them doing anything but getting worse. It's another hidden fee allowed by the FCC for corporations to make more profit. I'm glad I got rid of them.

UPDATE 1/17/2015:

CenturyLink has installed their standard "CoolPed Plus" and has strung fiber in my neighborhood, so VDSL or at least ADSL2+ may finally be coming. I'm not going to switch back, though, since I live too far from the remote DSLAM to get fast internet.

Speed test (hey, an F+ is better than an F!):

member for 1.8 years, 632 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Rob_
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Can you get cable

I'd dump them for cable, Centurylink is horrible. $125.00 is rather steep when you can get Vonage for $12.12 for unlimited North American calling.. (Vonage basic)

If you go to www.whitefence.com you can see what's available in your area.

-Rob

jdb

@centurytel.net

Re: Can you get cable

But with vonage you still need internet access separately. They 'forget' to tell you that...

Re: Can you get cable

And, also, you need a RELIABLE and FAST connection for VoIP, so that would be impossible to use on C/L 1.5.

jdb

@centurytel.net
heh-whitefence shows only century and hughesnet-lol

1 recommendation

Whitefence.com is nothing but an ad for HughesNet, that's the only thing that always come up and everyone knows it's terrible! C/L is great here but it depends on your location.

Port Orchard, WA
Yep, switching to cable (Wave Broadband), sometime in the next couple weeks.

Re: Can you get cable

BMcCoy, you are going to have even worse problems with cable! They will keep raising the rates every year or maybe every 6 months and will keep doing it even if they can't provide service, until you get disgusted and cancel.
CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

We Can Help

Hi bmccoy, my name is Joey and I'm with the @CenturyLinkHelp team. We want to help look into this for you. We can check to see if there are upgrades scheduled that would allow faster speeds for your DSL service. We can also look at your account pricing since it seems to be a bit high assuming it's a residential connection. We may have a better deal we can offer you. Contact us at TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com. Thanks.

Joey H
@CenturyLinkHelp Team
TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com

Jeanette

@charter.com

Century Link Fraud

We were bundled with Quest since 2005, then Quest sold out to Century Link. During the time we were bundled with Quest and had moved to WA state we noticed a charge on our acct by MSN. We have never used MSN so I called both MSN and Quest and found out that were had been paying for service we had not received. Quest refunded our money for the 18 months that we had payed for. Recently I decided to change to Cable, since our bundle had increased in price over the years. When I printed out our Century link bill, I noticed a charge of 18.95 for MSN on our acct. I notified MSN and was told that it had been happening a lot and they gave me a claim number and I was told that someone would call me. Well after 2 weeks of going back and forth between Century Link and MSN, I am told that neither can refund my money. I had been charged for MSN since Nov 2010.

Re: Century Link Fraud

Jeanette, why didn't you keep track of what you were paying? If you are a sucker then everyone will take advantage of you!

Online again

@clearwire-wmx.net

Qwest/Century Link

I went with qwest/century link 10+ yrs ago, and just last yr. NEVER AGAIN!. Poor speed for price, over-billing, mixed up billing, runarounds, > Collections. Period!. INCOMPETENT!.
They should have their corp. charter revoked.

Re: Qwest/Century Link

Online again, you can't make blanket statements like that. Here in AZ cable is terrible but C/L is reasonably priced and works great after they installed fiber near me so it depends on your location.

Location

Location is everything. If you truly want screaming fast Internet and you are willing to pay for it then move to NYC, Chicago, or LA where you can find 100Mbps or faster- if you are in the right neighborhood. LV will get you 45Mbps if you are in the right location. It should be pretty fast in the alpha cities of SF and Denver - if you are in the right location.

Trying to define rural America is much like trying to herd cats. It's different for everyone. I am rural. I am 160 miles from a large city (million or over population). I've lived in this environment in three states. Areas with less than 500000 don't gain traction with second tier telephone and cable companies. Generally you don't find AT&T or Comcast unless there is a college with 20,000+ students, or there is a large medical/research district and large corporations like State Farm or CAT. Location and volume density is where IT'S at.

FIOS, DSL, 2.5 all have limitations. The screaming fast satellite? The most expensive plan is equal to about 5Mbps in the right location. What they don't tell you is the 4 they promote is over 2.5 and it still has to travel 22,000 miles unless there is a physical building on earth. There is one in the U.S. for Direct TV customers.

Most rural is delivered over copper. The DSL limit over copper is about 7-8/1 because of overhead and the Last Mile. After you pass the mile, speed slows. The farther out, the slower the speed. It is a fact of life; ask any EE. No telco is going to bring FTTH or FTTN to a town of 2000 - even when it is in the local office. It is doubtful that bonded DSL will happen. If you have a reliable phone and steady Internet be happy. If you don't, the phone company can fix it providing your inside wiring is good, there is no problem from the source to your house, and your equipment plays nice with the telco equipment. More often than not it doesn't. Frequent interruptions and rebooting is a red flag. I replaced 5 routers before I found one that worked.

How does telco explain to you your new D-Link router isn't working properly when you know it is? My engineer friend sent me a couple of routers that worked perfectly in Dallas on AT&T and TW. Both were useless on CL where I live in the middle of nowhere. CL 7/1 is faster than AT&T in the three counties that surround me. Comcast is not any faster. It is rural and they all have the same problems with copper and towns that are 10 to 20 miles apart. The fastest business where I live is 15/5 from cable an it is about $175 with tax. I pay $100 less for 7/1 and 5 year lock. It is a major improvement over 4/1. It is steady an the phone is 98% reliable all the time.

Re: Location

I've switched to cable and have been a mostly happy customer ever since. I'm lucky to have a local ISP, and I signed up for the 15/2 plan last year. They now are upgrading their max speeds to 110/10, and upgrading my plan to 55/5 for free.
You're definitely correct, location is what really matters.
The reason your modem probably didn't work is because CenturyLink uses VDSL in most areas (I happen to still have ADSL), so you need a VDSL compatible modem.

Re: Location

As far as I know it is is still ADSL (7/1; it was 4/1) I live in a Faraday's Cage. After the D-Link and the others that only worked for a few weeks each, I bought a ASUS plug n play N router when they first came out. They upgraded modem to Zxytel. No problems since.

I am glad someone understands this because I surely do not. Thank you very much.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

said by ArizonaSteve:

said by ArizonaSteve:

So the first quote you make an obviously "blanket statement" as you call it. Then in the second quote you call someone else out for doing as you do. What gives Steve?
brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ

Re: Location

Cable companies are known for consistent price hikes, even with diminished service (Cox is the main provider in Phoenix metro, and they're terrible for that)

Qwest/US West put FTTN pretty much everywhere here, so CenturyLink's network here is way better than anything Cox could offer a majority of the time.

Although, i've had Insight (best cable co i've ever had), Time Warner, WOW!, Comcast, and Cox and have had the cable internet issues that he's describing on pretty much all of them (except Insight - RIP), and even if you happen to look at cable internet reviews it says pretty much the same thing.

Re: Location

Again, it depends on your location. I happen to have a local cable ISP where I live, and its internet speeds are much better. 110/10 is the highest tier I can get with my new ISP.
brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ

Re: Location

Well here we can get 150/30 from Cox, but CenturyLink also offers 100/40 through pair bonding here if you're close enough to the box.

Cable still generally has congestion issues for many people (especially on systems the cable operator opted to go SDV instead of just doing a plant upgrade to 1GHz)

The only way any ISP should be going at this point is just fiber to the home, but until forced to provide reliable internet service through a common carrier law nothing is going to be done.

Re: Location

I've been using cable for over a year now and have had no congestion issues at all. ArizonaSteve was wrong, it's been around 14 months since I've switched and I was able to get my 12-month promotion renewed for free with my rates staying the same. As I've said before, I'm never switching back until CenturyLink decides to stop severely neglecting their rural customers.

Re: Location

Arizona Steve's assessment may be correct in his area, and your assessment may be just as correct in your area.

In my area neither CL or the local cable WILL provide enough affordable uplink for a reliable VoIP connection. I need a house phone for medical. My only choice is CL's version of DSL over copper that pretends to be POTS except when it is raining, when it is windy, and when some dummy screws up circuits. Trying to convince CL - that never EVER admits to any service related issues - is like trying to backstroke up Niagarah Falls. Here an example.

Yesterday I needed to contact my bank 60 miles away. Fast busy signal. My EE in TX had no trouble calling. The CL executive level employee in CA had no trouble with it. A CL suit was arguing with me until I forced him to listen while a state employee in my house made the call on her cell phone. He heard the bank recording. Only then was my phone fixed.

It took about an hour of my time to convince CL once again the phone does not work properly as promised. This will be a continuing problem in tiny place rural America -- the last town on earth CL wants to service. I will continue to hold their feet on the fire because nothing else works as well as CLs sloppy DSL over copper. Our plant has a 100Mbps "through put" yet only 1.5 is provided outside our tiny town of 2000. There will never be a FTTN or FTTH here because CL does not have to provide any service except a wireline. There is no money in it.
CL does not compete with its sister phone/cable company that shares the same office and same fiber.

My two house phones cost nearly $200 each, and the handicap phone is $400. I have the right equipment for every phone company in America.

Emp

@75.161.160.x
Actually fiber is set out on a grid grid system, back and forth. So your neighbor across the street could be on the right side side and get a 40mb while it loops back around towards you miles down and you only get a 7mb.

Goose15t

@76.1.0.x

Worst customer service ever!

I have century link and it is by far the worst customer service i have had with anything in my life. I have had bad waitresses but they have never been as bad as the service i get from Century Link. I call to upgrade my internet speed and get lied to about what speeds i am suppose to get and what speeds I can upgrade to as far as upload speed. I get it worked out and someone comes to my house to pre-setup for the upgrade. The guy cut my wire to install the new one and had no intention of installing it for me to have internet that day. I was lucky enough that I was present to ask him and make sure I still had internet. He got it back connected but I had to suffer for over a day of less then 1mbps of download and less then .1mbps of upload which is possibly taking you back to the early years of internet. They tried to give me the run around to get that issue fixed, and to top it all off my upgrade was scheduled to be done for today Feb 13th 2014. So I called to confirm a timeframe they were going to be at my house and the response was they scheduled it for the 18th now. When I talked to a supervisor she told me that nothing could be done and that they probably will not be able to install until the end of the month and that the 18th is only a tentative date now. Immediatly i told them I am looking for a new internet service and that I will call them when I have one and will be canceling their services. I recommend that no one I MEAN NO ONE get their internet services at all. It expensive and a huge waste of money.

·Wave Broadband

Re: Worst customer service ever!

100.00 a month for telephone service and 1.5Mbps DSL is a total rip off, IMO. I'm now paying 124.00 a month for much more reliable internet, phone, and even TV. I'm never going back unless CenturyLink makes some huge changes or starts providing FTTH.

Review by jgkolt See Profile

• Location: Avon,Lorain,OH
Good "Fiber, faster than TWC, Price, Knowledgeable installers"
Bad "Challenging install process, correct sales information, company very segmented"
Overall "Good price for what you get, and hey it's fiber"

I ordered the 100 down 50 up fiber package. Originally it was $93 for internet alone but when bundled with home phone and the current sale it was $56 and locked in for 5 years with autopay. We also received $50 credit towards the install and $100 bundle visa credit card. Worked with online support and ordering was quite easy. It took many times to get an accurate number of what down/up speeds were available at my address. They installed a Calix 710GX ONT outside and a ZyXEL FR1000Z gateway router inside. I didn't realize that it wasn't needed until the last day of the install. Wish I was told, instead of purchasing the gateway for $100, and just used my own router via PPPoe.

The first install date no one showed up. I messaged online support and they were going to ping the tech and supervisor. I heard nothing and pinged online support again and they sent me to the repair hotline. That department said they pinged the tech and supervisor and they would reach out to me after 15 minutes. I took off of work and waited 8 hours and heard nothing that day.

The next morning promptly at 9 am the supervisor called and took ownership of the situation. He believed that the work order never came down to the tech and was a growing pain of the company, but he would look into it. The next day they installed everything inside and they would be back on Monday for the outside due to very cold weather conditions. they did some work Monday but ran into problems with the lines (mislabeled, and fiber cracking in the 0 degree weather). They took out the neighbors internet but fixed both it and ours the next day. The supervisor stayed late to make sure we could get internet and phone setup inside our house. Although there were issues the people were very kind, and took ownership of the issue. I am not getting the upload speed as I was told but they are still working on the provisioning of it.

Comments:

Rotonda West

@embarqhsd.net

Centurylink

The absolute worst company in the world of any business! Their service is only superseded why they're poor customer service and even worthless tech support. If you have not ordered this company save your money or you'll regret it! I have to post this from my iPhone by satellite because centurylink does not stay connected long enough to post this review!!!

Review by Styro See Profile

• Location: Lake Charles,Calcasieu,LA
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "We get a little above half of our "
Bad "Connection and ping times fluctuate greatly. Terrible during evening hours(after 5) until midnight. No longer support fastpath."
Overall "I haven't used CenturyLink fiber. It might be okay, but their DSL is terrible. I'd chose any other company for internet."

My family has had CenturyLink/Centurytel for years starting with their phone service. We've began with their 1.5Mbps service and sedately worked our way up to the “Up to 10 Mbps” service. We get a max download of about 6 Mbps and a max upload of about 0.5 Mbps, which is understandable with our distance from the DSLAM.

There are several problems with CenturyLink DSL, at least in my area.

1) Download bandwidth fluctuates from 6 Mbps to less than 2 Mbps during evening hours.

2) Ping times also fluctuate during the same times.

3) Our ping never averages less than 80 ms from my router to the DSLAM.

4) They don't “support” changing the line mode from interleaved to fastpath anymore.

Several months ago, I called the CenturyLink support line to see if I could change my line mode from interleaved to fastpath. (Doing so will decrease ping time from the modem to the DSLAM greatly). A tech didn't know what I was talking about, but he happily found someone that did. The engineer remote logged into our local DSLAM and made the change. My pings dropped enormously. On interleaved: ~120ms ping to google.com. On fastpath: ~35ms ping to google.com. Most of our latency issues were caused at the DSLAM.

Fast forward several months. I noticed my ping times were high again, so I did a trace route and some ping tests. Guess what? 70-120ms ping between the modem and DSLAM again. Checked the modem's Transceiver statistics page and Centurylink has placed us back on Interleaved. Started up a help chat on Centurylink's website. The rep didn't have access to the DSLAM (but he did know what I was talking about, which was a plus). The rep gave me a phone number to call, so I did. The next rep had no idea what I was talking about but he was patient and tried to find someone that did. After about five minutes of waiting, his manager told him that CenturyLink no longer allows customers to switch to Fastpath, even though it helped my connection greatly.

The only two ISP's (besides satellite) around our home are CenturyLink DSL and Suddenlink Cable. I would have switched years ago but the Suddenlink feeder line ends one utility pole away from my home, and it would cost us a little over two thousand dollars for them to add our home to their cable network. (We are the last house on the street, and they would have to add an amplifier/plant and most likely have to bury the cable). CenturyLink charges us $50 a month for “up to 10 Mbps” (we get about 6 Mbps to 2 Mbps depending on the time) and suddenlink charges $45 a month for 50 Mbps in my area.

For DSL service, CenturyLink is not who you want.

Comments:

Noah

@centurylink.net

Do not chose Centurylink

Centurylink is the WORST company I have ever dealt with…I work from home and my internet is my life. Not only are they unable to answer the simplest questions (each time I call in I get a different answer) but the stories they do tell are flat out lies. They have cost me money and time…and when I ask for a supervisor I am told they do not do that….I can speak to their escalations department which again lies to me. All I wanted to do is cancel my prism TV service and retain my internet, which again is my work…but its been two weeks and still not completed. They lied about contracts, they lied about their internet service, and they lied about their ability to fix my issues. Oh….and they do not work Sundays, half day Saturdays, and close at 8PM on weekdays…even if they are transferring you to another department…they will lie and transfer you than a message comes up and tells you to call back tomorrow. I will be posting this message on every blog I find for Centurylink, and I will re-post it when they take it down. Centurylink is terrible and DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM…I have a lot of time to do this since I am unable to work now…

Review by targren9 See Profile

• Location: Fort Myers,Lee,FL
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "They're not Comcast"
Bad "Poor reliability, poor speed, high cost"
Overall "What I wouldn't give for a third option."

Since it's been over a decade since my original install, the Install coordination score is based on the fact that, three times in 2 years, my static IP was changed with no notification and re-assigned to another customer, leading to multi-day outages every time. That is, to my mind, solid evidence of a lack of coordination.

No longer on a static IP due to the fee hike, I'm now on an "upgraded" 10Mb connection on which I'm lucky to see 8Mb on a speed test or 3Mb in actual usage, with constant (frequently hourly) tiny, 1-3 minute outages, even after replacing all internal equipment. Tech support has been unable to solve the mysterious problem that has been going on for the better part of 3 (almost 4) months.

The equipment I was sold (p5100z router/modem) was buggy and unreliable, first not holding settings properly (falling out of "bridged" mode whenever the modem was reset by a power failure or brownout) and finally not connecting at all, even in the default "router" mode.

The worst part of it is that that I've been with them long enough to go from giving them my ardent endorsement, to the current state where quality and service have degraded to the point that I still have my account only because Comcast is the only alternative.

Comments:

Naplesfl

@comcast.net

You Might not need static

Try dyndns.org. Get s free address there and it will follow you to each IP address you have or get. I run servers for businesses that way. In short don't use numbers.
targren9

join:2010-10-04
Fort Myers, FL

Re: You Might not need static

I know how dynamic DNS works, that wasn't the point. The point was that the service has been degrading ever since I was moved into the dynamic IP pool.

Review by jimankrum See Profile

• Location: Fort Collins,Larimer,CO
Good "Cheap when on promo pricing"
Bad "Can't believe them"
Overall "They'll tell you anything to get you on contract"

I've called in several times over the last 2 years to try and upgrade my service to 40MB (I'm currently on 20MB), and most times I get someone who says "Yes, it's available on your line. Let me set that up for you". Then when the day comes for my order to complete I call in just to verify that it's still happening I'm told that "Yes, your order for 20MB service is still scheduled and should be ready *day after today*.

It's incredibly frustrating. I left the local cable company because I was told at sign up time that I was signing up for 40MB. On cable I was getting 30MB. It's not even the download speed that is interesting to me, it's the upload. On 20MB service the upload is an anemic 896KB vs 5MB with the 40MB plan.

Sometimes I'll get a person that says "20MB is as fast as you line will go, sorry" and I had yet another one that said "Yes you can have 40, but you'll need to have a business account because that signal is just too strong for residential" so I was transferred to someone that quoted me $180.00 per month. Yeah...

At least I'm still on promotional pricing. At $30 per month it's not too bad. I won't stay with them at full price. The cable company offers better service when the price is comparable.

The service itself is generally reliable.

*Edit*
Updated below, finally got the speed I ordered. But I think my problems with this company are only beginning

member for 6.8 years, 100 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
HiDesert

join:2008-08-17

2 edits

Promo extensions

Centurylink can't compete with Cable HSI on performance. But IMO, DSL is vastly more stable then comcast HSI with all their mini outages I use to get many years ago. DSL has so many limitations mostly due to line noise and distance. These limitations cannot be overlooked even if you are a willing to pay more for faster service. If they say your area won't work on the 40 mb they are telling the truth. If they hooked you up it would not achieve that speed and would probably be unreliable.

NO worries, they will keep you in promos year after year. Just call next year and politely explain to them that cable has a much better speed and that you don't see the value in keeping DSL service that underperforms at the regular prices. They will put you in another promo. They have no choice being that you are in fact telling them the truth and they know it. Regular CL prices are in fact comparable to cables HSI but fall very short to cables performance. Its a no brainer. Its CL's hope that you don't call in and just pay the higher bill. But I have never seen CL to not extend promos in areas that have competition from cable HSI. I have one friend that had been paying much more then me for years and I told him to call for a better price since Comcast had moved into his area. Sure enough, he lopped off 50 percent of his bill.

Don't think that after a year CL won't keep you in a discounted rate. They will. The question you have to ask yourself is do you want to pay 25 or 35 dollars more for cable HSI for faster service or to you want to keep your 20/897 at a cheaper rate.

However, if you decide to go to Cable you will probably enjoy the initial promo but after that your bill will double. And most likely they will NOT extend that promo. It will also see rate hikes happening faster then dsl. Being that the cable HSI is faster they generally feel you will just suck it up. Unless upload speeds are really important to you I feel that keeping the 20mb line is the way to go as long as you can extend promos. I know that in my case I have saved over 2500 dollars by staying with qwest/centurylink in the last 8 years.

Probably at some point I feel there will only be promos for new customers on both services. At which point on the second year you pay the man. I will probably promo jump from one service to another. At least I will only pay a higher rate 50 percent of the time. I remember it used to be like that when Qwest refused to extend promo's. But that was when both comcast and qwest speeds were the same. Once comcast improved their service qwest noticed the bleeding was more severe. Ever since that they extend extend extend.

·TracFone Wireless

As a CL user, yes, .895 up is anemic, but it is what it is from coast to coast and border to border. The max I am going to get on DSL or ADSL is 10/1. It is unlikely the speed here will improve even with the 100 MB of fiber in the local plant as ours is an isolated, small, rural community with outdated equipment. Our internet is extremely stable 99% of the time. Our DSL aka fake POTS phone is not nearly as good or as reliable as the internet.

When two phone companies that: share the same office, the same fiber, the same transmission lines, and the same customers, there is very little competition except cost and a pinch or two of speed. Here there is a $100 difference between cable 15/5 and CL 10/1. And even with DTV I still pay less than 15/5 as it requires the purchase of cable's top programing package. .

Do we really need 20MB down? No. Do we want it? Hell yes. Will WE get it? Probably not unless we move into an area that is proven to have it. As for me I may jump from the frying pan into the fire. I am contemplating moving into an area where Verizon sold out their telco plant. Verizon left old outdated equipment, several thousand unhappy customers and refused to provide backhaul or any support. It ought to be too much fun.
jimankrum

join:2008-03-18
Fort Collins, CO

Update

Got the 40! When the tech arrived I happened to be home and was able to talk with him about what had been going on. He was able to check in and after about 20 minutes on the phone he was able to set me up. 40 down, 5 up.

I didn't really go into as much detail as I could have in my first post. I'm really not all that excited about the 40 down part as I am the 5Mb up. I do a lot of remote computer support services, and the 896Kb uplink on the 20Mb plan was really starting to show. Especially when I would connect to more than one customer at a time.

The local cable company (not Comcast) has a 30 down 3 up plan that I was on, and it was working fine. Last year though, Centurylink signed me up for the 40/5 plan and put me in a 1 year contract, then only provided 20/.896.

Still not happy about all the hoops I had to jump through to get this, and they sent me a modem after I told them I already have a 40Mb compatible modem (C1000z) so I'll have to deal with returning that. I'll find out when I get my first bill if I actually get the price I was quoted.
jimankrum

join:2008-03-18
Fort Collins, CO

Update 2

I called Centurylink about returning the modem they sent. All I really wanted from them was an acknowledgement that I was returning the modem... an RMA number or something. So the Customer service rep tells me that I'll get it in the mail in a few days.

A few days pass...

They sent me another modem. I happened to be home when the UPS truck pulled up, so I was able to just refuse delivery.

I also got the first bill. They put on an activation charge, and also signed me up for the @ease program at $10 per month. Neither of those were supposed to happen either.

A McNeill

@69.171.160.x

High speed internet

I been a loyal customer sine 2010, I paid my bill and was told my service would be restored in 2 to 24 hours.. That was a lie.. I called back after 24 hours and after they sent me an email telling me my service had been restored only to be told there was a problem and I would have to wait another 24 hours to get internet service!!! IF THIS IS HOW CENTRY LINK TREAT ITS LOYAL CUSTOMERS I'D RATHER NOT BE ONE!!!!!! The same way you just turned it off you should be able to turn it back on the same way...BAD BUISNESS CENTRY LINK.....

busdriver 15

@75.163.164.x

Re: High speed internet

here in stratimoor hills . the only speed im getting with pk5100a is a whoppin 5-8mbps down and .895 up and my emails never is sent to the people that id sent them too but comcast said well do cl evven better!! well givve u 50 dwn and 4 megs up for ummm 45 bucks there a month !! wow outstnading where cl people get on the air on the local kktv and bLASASSST about their 40mps and thweir pRISM TV UGHH WHAT A DAMM DEAL HUH !!

Review by john_penland See Profile

• Location: Jonesborough,Washington,TN
Good "Very reliable now that all problems have been sorted out!"
Bad "A bit expensive, but better than the alternative provider in my area"
Overall "Good, if you live in an area where you can get 25Mbps pair bonding or higher"

CenturyLink let me rent a Technicolor C2000T for the pair bonded ADSL2+ 25Mbps. Most areas where I live can still only get 1.5 to 3 Mbps of download from DSL. Maybe they will eventually switch over to VDSL2 in my little area of the Tri-Cities...but I am not going to hold my breath for that to happen. Still yet, I have heard in some areas where they can, they run pair bonded ADSL2+ to 40 Mbps down. I had lots of problems with wiring at first, but that got sorted out. All in all you can't beat it if you have access to it. But it is a bit expensive. And in my experience a better provider than the competition that exists where I live!

Comments:

Review by rstrickland See Profile

• Location: Clinton,Sampson,NC
Good "Constant Speed!"
Bad "They could casre less about upgrading facilities to support higher speeds."
Overall "Solid Service, & Fair Price."

I can't complain, once all the bridge taps were removed from the pair that serves my house, it worked just as advertised (3000/512). Ping times are 33-56ms, I'm interleaved... but having it switched to Fast Path (It took some hard pushing to get it done). No connection issues, and CTL offers the fastest speed I can get at my house from any provider... faster then the local cable company.

UPDATE: The local cable company is running FTTH, and just completed installing the fiber. Just waiting for it to be lit before I make the switch. I've given CenturyLink ample opportunity to upgrade my neighborhood, and even offered to split the cost of equipment.

UPDATE 2: I've left CenturyLink for good, the fiber has been lit, and is blowing CenturyLink out of the water!

Comments:

linicx

CL would be foolish ...

.. to turn down your offer of thousands of free dollars to upgrade your neighborhood. The problem in upgrading the neighborhood is that it is tied to upgrading the plant first. It includes routers and cards in the office, residential modems, etc. It is not a cheap fix or as easy as it sounds.

I don't know if they have the bandwidth of if CL can isolate and upgrade only one neighborhood as some neighborhoods are intra-connected.