CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by OOMJR See Profile

• Location: Avilla,Noble,IN
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Things seem good but who's at fault now?"
Bad "Tech support is hard to get, but once you find a good # it's fine"
Overall "Do your homework and 'complain'. Worth it for the end result, just have to bother them on problems. "

9/2/14 Update

I have had Bonded 25/2 ADSL2+ for a half year now. It's new in my area, so let's say I'm a test subject.

After months of conditioning line pairs and doing numerous tests, the connection holds true to 25/2 with 0-10 FEC RS every 30 seconds... BUT there is always a catch with Centurylink.

In evening hours, I can run tests speeds showing 25/2 with 30-40 latency BUT all streaming services are degraded. My wife can watch anything during the afternoon without hiccups but once 8pm rolls around the service is only good for playing games. I can't run a 720p youtube video. I can't stream HD or Super HD on any device(PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, Galaxy S5).

My local tech has worked his boots off to get this service to run great but not I'm in a haze now. I'm not sure who is to blame because during this time the speedtests still check ok at 25/2 with low latency.

Netflix isn't any help. Youtube brings up a prompt asking if I'm having issues streaming. Click on it and it shows that Centurylink doesn't do well at all during evening hours compared to MediaCom(Which they show as HD Certified, Centurylink isn't) and advises me to play 480p resolution to avoid interruption!

I thought it was the Wifi, but once I got on the PC and saw it was doing the same my heart sank. I knew I was getting back into the boxing ring against these companies.

To end this part of the review... My local tech has been great but the corporate side has been crap.

I'm paying around $74 a month for 25/2 and I can't watch Netflix or Youtube during the evening without re buffering every 30 seconds... It's a outrage at the price I pay.

12/31/13 Update

Internet is back to a stable state. 10 down and .78 up at all times with 35ms to the closest speedtest server in Michigan.

Good news is they just tested and confirmed Bonded 25/2 which will get installed this Friday afternoon(1/3/14). Since the last post they have installed another 5000 shelf that has 2 gige connections, this will be used to handle the Bonded connections in the area. 5000ft or closer only qualify. I'm at 4500ft. I'll post stats and tests of a before and after on this review plus on a forum thread I've made a while back.

»centurylink Avilla,IN bad again. Fixed 1st time by FCC

9/20/13 Update

Back again to 70+ ping and 1-3 down on CL tests. Speedtest.net is showing 70 ping with 1 down and .76 up. Pingtest.net is showing 80ms with 90 jitter when on a good day it's 14ms with 0-1 jitter. Sync rates are in great standing. IHD team still emailing engineers but haven't heard back from them. Got a pathetic credit 28$ credit on my 45$ bill. They won't fully credit my account cause it's not bad all the time just when it's busy. Congestion resolution time is 11-15-13... So about two more months. Pathetic. I'm letting it go till then. If nothing changes I might be dropping service and just tether my 4GLTE cell phone that has unlimited data. Rage mode right now.

I suggest avoiding there services if you can and wait till they get things fixed. Wait till you see a good amount of updated good reviews 1st.

8/12/13 Update

Waiting for a response from IHD team. Last night was by far the worse. 2-4 down with 300+ ping. Patience is running dry and every time I touch the internet in anyway it just frustrates me more. So I've been avoiding it all for now and letting CL do their job.

8/8/13 Update

Well, I think the loss balance is effecting me again. Back to how it was in June. Slow at peak hours with high latency. Pretty much worthless again. Emailed my contacts multiple times and no one higher up ,including TalkToUs , is responding back. Pretty upset with it all. Wish there was a different provider up here....

8/6/13 Update

After a balance issue between two near by cities the internet was running fine until the outage on Aug 1st, 2nd. After which the internet was slow and unstable until 8/5/13. It now is running full throttle at 13 ms ping to chicago and 10 down .78 up. As of now I'm happy but I'm hesitant to say I will be forever. Things will happen again, I'm certain.

Support is good if you can weave yourself into the correct #'s. Took me a few phone calls to find the right person to talk to. I know have 3 contacts I can email on the issue that by passes the 24/7 line and chats.

Thanks

Matt

5/8/13 Update

So... Supposedly... The CO supervisor, local tech and his managers are in contact via email with corporate. The fix would consist of moving some DSLAMS to a different rack. They have 3 racks, each can hold 3 DSLAMS, one not being used, one used for 6Mbps or lower and one for 10Mbps. The 10Mbps rack is at 98% capacity at night and they don't see the issue at the 24/7 line, not sure if they can. Each rack is also connected to a gigE fiber line.

Waiting game and contacting them each day for updates.

4/30/13 Update

Check out my test history »/testhistory/1782576/cba7a . During peak hours the line quality tests fail due to packet loss. After peak hours the test works ok but there is packet loss. My connection from my Modem to the DSLAM is 8ms. After the DSLAM that's where the issues are. It's on their end and they can't except that very easily. Took me a 48minute call to the 24/7 line to get this through their head. Their finally looking into the issue.

The Central Office is one street west of my house and this morning there was a Centurylink Van there along with a normal pedestrian car(employee?)

.7 to 10 Down during peak hours(5-12:30) .4-.6 Up. Ping of 100+ to 500.

I can usually ping at 30ms and have 10 down and .78 up to chicago.

Yahoo.com times out on pings and traceroutes.

Google.com pings at at least 130ms.

After peak hours it seems to be testing ok but I'm not home to use it... I work 8-5.

This will be the 2nd time I've had ping/bandwidth issues in my area. The first time around phone support and chat wasn't helping so I filed a FCC complaint. They gave me a new modem for free and fix the issue. If came back about a week later and I was offered a tech's direct number. He went out and switch me to a newer card at the Central Office. This fixed the issues until 4/28/13. I seem to be back where I was before. I'm guessing it's a bad card or they are having packet loss on their end. I called the tech and he doesn't work in my area anymore so he wasn't of any help. I called the 24/7 service line and they said I had to average 300ms ping with low bandwidth for them to issue it as an actual problem. I kept on them and they said they would look into it. Put me on hold a couple times to talk to a 3rd party company(that I assumes monitors and remotely fixes issues). They said they would see if they could remotely fix the issue and if this wasn't possible they would send a tech out. The window of the issue getting fixed is 24-48 hours. I'm expecting this to be done within this given time line. If it isn't I will be filing my second FCC complaint against the company, which I don't want to do but I don't like getting horrible service and paying for it.

-Matthew Raupfer

1-23-12 Update

After about 6 months of service my package 10Mbps down and 860Kbps up has become a horrible experience. I'm getting "the engineers are working to resolve the bandwidth issue in your area" line for the last 4 months... I can't get my 10 down anymore at anytime and during peak afternoon/evening hours I will range from .6 down to 1Mbps. My upload usually stays around 860Kbps. I've contacted Joey once again about the issue and a local store about it. Waiting for replies right now. Online chat hasn't helped one bit with the issue.

Ordered 10Mbps/896Kbps

1st day it was installed was able to ping Chicago server @ 14ms with a bandwidth test of 10.5Mbps/860Kbps

2nd day the ping went up to an average of 50ms to the same server.

Called 1-877-646-3282 to see if they had me set on interleaved rather then fast mode.
They told me since I was using a Actiontec Modem and not a rental that they wouldn't support Fast Mode. Also, I never was able to get a answer out of them what mode they were sending me from the DSLAM. She was running me around. At the end she said that there was a fiber issue in my area and they were working on fixing it... I went ahead and hung up.

Went to »www.centurylink.com/Pages/Support/ContactUs/ and did the online chat.
WOW!!! The customer support rep was extremely nice and answered every question I had. I did have to wait here and there after certain questions due to having to look up the info but in the end she was able to tell me I was connected interleaved. She then went ahead and switch me to Fast Mode, then she tested the line.

Online Chat is Superb so far. Phone Support... don't waste your time.

My ping is now back down to ~20ms to the Chicago server and my bandwidth is doing well at 10Mbps/864Kbps.

Overall,

Service has been up 24/7 for 3 months and online chat support is great.

Phone support is terrible. Rude and just want to get the phone call over with.

member for 3.5 years, 247 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Trawocd

@comcast.net

comments

I have heard a great deal of "bad" through acquaintances about cl. You always hear the bad more than the good. This is not an endorsement, although I am considering my options for service at this time. I would like to hear some of what they are doing correctly to help make a decision.
Seems service with a phone call is almost useless, but I see online chats are productive for the informed.

Need more input.
DC

Re: comments

Understand. No mega corporation cares one byte about one kid with school work, or a housebound handicapped person; but business, yes.

Truthfully, for the average user who does not download movies, compose symphonies, or create massive scientific projects on line ... 10/2 will support a digital phone and a rock solid internet connection very well, but. When a local CO is pushed to the breaking point it usually does.

The one thing a telephone company can do that cable cannot do is separate the phone side from the Internet side of the service. Thus when the telco and cable are offline, the telco phone will continue to work. It's a federal requirement that telco maintain is backup power for the phone system in their communications center (co). It might be six blocks from your house or 20 miles from your office, but you can bet there is a very large backup power source for your phone.

·TracFone Wireless
Trawocd, your best bundle is CL landline phone, Comcast Internet speed, and Dish crystal clear signal. It will cost you between $150 -$250 (depending upon the options you chose) plus the cost of installation, modems, etc..

BTW, you need to join us; you will get more help.

Review by brybarnes See Profile

• Location: Justin,Denton,TX
Good "its internet access"
Bad "high latency, wildly fluctuating DL speeds, lousy support"
Overall "it's DSL (Internet) in a rural area"

Its a forced choice option, its the best of the worst.
Satellite is better, although there are data caps and huge fee's
I am just outside a service area for WiMAX solution.

I am just fortunate enough to even have internet at this location, cell tower (laughable "4G" is way slower).

Comments:

Had enough

@71.209.37.x

My internet service

This is a horrible dishonest company for over a year and a half this company has allowed a streaming device connected to my internet. They knew the woman's email address nreynoldsid@gmail.com and her name Nancy Reynolds. This allowed access to my home my security device ALL personal info passwords etc etc even the death of my dog. Yet they did nothing. I got smart and started taking pictures with all hacking with my iPhone. Now I get to clean up their crime scene and my credit report companies like this should not be in business and that woman should be behind bars! I hate century link they didn't keep me safe they let it happen called aiding and abetting.

Review by Cartuner See Profile

Good "Nothing!!"
Bad "Everything!"
Overall "This service is the worst I have ever gotten. "

Centurylink is a horrible service. Crappy costumer service and really slow internet. They say you can get up to 40mps, what they don't mention is that that is split in half due to a duel server or something. They false advertise and people actually get this shit. I was stupid enough to get the bundle for a year. I had so many arguments with customer service, it's ridiculous.

From my own experience to save you!! Don't get this service.. You'll regret it.
I hope the best.
Thanks.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

JPoster

@216.113.168.x

I am about to get service because I am forced

I need internet for my work....and the only service that is offered is Centrylink. So far my experience hs been horrible and if this is what it will be like, I can only hope something puts these guys of out of business so we can let a competent company

cburdett5

@174.27.207.x

Worst service and customer service ever

Century link are lairs about the service they provide, they say its going to be 40 mgbt then you only get 25, the customer service is horrible I have argued about my billing for months and no one communicates with the other, and they never fix the problem, save yourself some time and money and go with another service provider.

Review by percy See Profile

• Location: Eden Prairie,Hennepin,MN
Good "It worked, most of the time."
Bad "Extremely limited bandwidth on Netflix, Hulu etc..at peak time"
Overall "might work for you if you dont care about watching HD video at peak hours"

Was with Centurylink (formerly Qwest) for 15 years!

Last year was horrible. My main reason for dumping them was the extreme loss of bandwidth when watching video services (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon..) at peak hours. Even worse was that all along the 2+ months I spent with their techs to get to the bottom of this they knew all too well that it was their choked up antique lines or it was a delibrate concious effort to limit bandwidth. Moved to comcast and no problems since. Oh and I had their land line too so they lost that business from me as well. Now I have phone and internet from Comcast.

Comments:
brad152

Works fine for me..

I use all of the above on my 40/5 connection just fine, and my DSL is $19.95/mo to boot.
BlakePaulson

join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN
·T-Mobile US
·Charter

Re: Works fine for me..

Because you're in Arizona which is a lot different of a place than Minnesota.

Just because it works perfectly where you're at doesn't mean it will be so everywhere.

Also I'm sure the $19.95 price is a bundle package or a super promo, as there's no way they do that price as an everyday price.
Big Dawg 23

join:2002-03-27
Northfield, MN

Similar experience

I have CL 20/1 which drops a lot to 15/.5. Doing full HD can create issues and the horrible upload knocks out my work VPN. Minnesota lacks good speaks in most parts. I personally thinking of return to Charter I left there years ago.

Also

Your distance from the plant makes a difference too. Speed varies greatly in rural areas. It is what it is.

When companies merge it is usually chaotic for clients for a few weeks as new and old networks merge and new equipment is switched for the old. Once the switch is complete then the tune up begins. No one bothers to explain to the customers why things don't work on B like it did on A. When every thing is completed the new company may be quite good.

What consumers do not understand about FCC is they license telephone companies. These companies are obligated to give you a quality voice line and nothing else.

Cable is not obligated to do anything except provide a cable package. Most cable is provided by a telephone company. It is not licensed by FCC except to the extent it is mandated by law to maintain telephone lines and nothing else. It is why Sandy Hook has so much trouble with Verizon - an FCC licensed telephone company d/b/a wireless provider.

The Internet, VoIP phones, Skype, e-mail, streaming, Hulu, Netflix, cell phone towers, tablets, etc, are not licensed or regulated by FCC. It is what it is. It is controlled by the provider you pay and the equipment you buy for personal use.

Review by dewi See Profile

• Location: USA
  • Telco party @link
Bad "So slow and expensive!"

I paid $40 for 9 months was slow.
Then the next 3 months for automatic payment paid $ 35 still slow and remain the signal lost from the laptop, so I have to keep plugging in on the outlet. Turn to no wireless since got stuck all the time to the wire.
Now after a year, contract done, price so ridiculously $ 57 for just an internet and still with those unresolved problem.
Start searching for another provider.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:
brad152

WiFi?

So you take the time to just go buy a $20 wifi router to see if maybe it's your laptop or the CenturyLink provided one, you post here?

Just go buy a $20 wifi router (or $30 from new egg DSL Modem/WiFi AP in one to save the $7/mo rental fee) and call it good.

Review by amyblue See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR
Good "Not a single thing. NOTHING."
Bad "Service. Support Availability. Customer Service Reps EVERYTHING!"
Overall "This company should NOT be allowed to be in business."

I signed up for the 40Mbps plan for $34.95/month during the first week of June 2014. We averaged around 2.7Mbps but never quite reached 4Mbps download speed. I tried calling in to troubleshoot and found their call center hours impossible to work with and they had NO option to communicate through their website (imagine that as a metaphor... an internet company that doesn't know how to utilize their own website for business purposes). They claim their business hours are from 8am-6pm Monday through Friday but I could never reach them past 4pm. I received a message that I needed to call back during business hours. If they do not have an online correspondence option then these hours are not reasonable for anyone who works a 9-5 type job. When I finally reached a rep, she was dismissive to my concerns about slow speeds. She offered no solutions and would not reduce my bill or switch me to a smaller plan at a lower rate even though my area was not ABLE to reach anywhere near the speeds I was paying for. At this point I was only 2 weeks into dealing with them so I asked to disconnect my service. I got disconnected but thought we had resolved closing the account. I received a bill soon after and discovered they had NOT disconnected me as I had requested. I called back again (mind you, to do this within their insane call center hours, I had to call during my lunch break, sit on hold for at least 30 minutes, get transferred from one surly, unhelpful employee after another to whom I had to repeat my account information to each time. To each and every one, I confirmed my identity and told them I wanted to disconnect my service. I had to repeat myself so many times only to run out of time on my lunch break and have to hang up before they could process my one simple request.

Now it is 3 months into the ordeal and I have called a dozen times to disconnect but still they are charging me for service. Today when I called to disconnect, the employee told me she could disconnect me but I would receive a $200 disconnection fee because it is after my 30 day grace period. So all total, we are looking at $450 they are claiming I owe for a service I NEVER received.

Comments:
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Well.. In the meantime...

Have you tried hard-wiring your comuter it should significantly help. WiFi quality with them is poor.

Phoenix, AZ

Re: Well.. In the meantime...

said by greatshow09:

Let me correct that: WiFi on CenturyLink provided routers happens to be poor

Also to the OP, have you tried bypassing the internal wiring on the house? usually that's the culprit with the 40Mbps speed as most houses have old school daisy-chained wiring and it will wreak havoc with a 40Mbps VDSL2 connection.

BobbyMcGee

@216.113.168.x
This is awful service....

Review by neill6705 See Profile

• Location: Little Falls,Morrison,MN
Good "Consistent connection that's faster than what we're paying for."
Bad "Horrible CPE, overly aggressive sales people."
Overall "Great service, but bring your own modem."

We've had Centurylink for about a month and a half now. I've been very pleased with they're service. We're paying for 20/0.896mbps and speedtest.net consistently shows 24.4/0.85mbps. We haven't had any downtime in the time we've had them. One of my only complaints is the sales people. I've been in a sales position before and I know the importance of upselling but when the customer knows exactly he/she wants, don't try and jam the stuff they don't want down their throat. I lost count of how many times I had to say no to a land line (we have VoIP from Ooma), Verizon, Direct TV, their at ease antivirus tech support bundle, etc. I didn't really deal with any field techs. Since we were just using our NID for DSL, I unhooked out home phone wiring from the terminals as the Ooma is feeding that and ran a piece of Cat5e to a jack just for DSL myself. This leads to my only other complaint - the customer premise equipment. I bought an Actiontec C1000A. Worst $100 I've ever spent. It had thousands of CRC and hundreds of thousands or millions of FEC errors every day. A week later I replaced it with a ZyXel P873HNUP and all my issues went away. On a bad day it has a few hundred FEC errors and basically no CRC errors. Bring your own router, unless you get a C2000T (based on what I've read).

Overall, the service has been very fast and consistent. Once you get past the annoying sales people, If you're near the DSLAM and the copper loop is of decent quality, you should be very satisfied with the service.

member for 24 days, 24 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by celifish1 See Profile

• Location: Aurora,Arapahoe,CO
Good "nothing at all"
Bad "all of it"
Overall "By far the worst ISP I have ever worked with!!!!!"

I have been a technician for 18 years installing everything from custom home theater, automation and integrated alarm along with POS systems at all the high end retail stores. I have worked with multiple ISP's and most have their glitches but CenturyLink takes the cake!!!!

I moved from Bellingham Washington to South Aurora Co. last year and I looked for a good priced ISP in the area, at the time CL was the only one with a good promotion, I was not comfortable with having a contract and boy was I right!!!

Slow as a slug on hot pavement.....

I was told 20mbps and the highest i ever got was 3.2mbps download speeds. if I wanted to work in the middle of the night .8 mbps.

their customer support was the worst, rude always passing the blame to the wiring in the building( which I checked and was perfectly good, I even re-terminated and tested to be sure)

All in all it was the worst year of internet I have ever had!!!

My advice, STAY AWAY!!!!

Comments:

linicx

Sorry

Bad things happen to good people and connectivity to the Internet is one. It is only as good as your equipment at home, the equipment in the plant, and your distance from it. I bought 4-5 routers before I found one that would work with CL. Where I live it is PC friendly and not much else without a battle to make it work.

I live in a duopoly of CL and a telephone company in another city that provides cable. Both use the same fiber in he same plant to serve the same customers. Both charge the same for basic service. However, if I want 15/5 and I don't mind the $150 I will pay for top tier cable I really dont want to get it. AFAIK CL doesn't offer too much over .768 up in most rural places.

Review by greatshow09 See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Price is fine -for me. $29.95 for 40mbps, hasn't changed and I still have the 4 year lock from Qwest :)."
Bad "Took awhile to fix the speed problems. Turned out an expensive router did the trick. Ping kinda' is bad too 40 ms."
Overall "Unless CL Fiber is coming to your house soon, the speeds are slow. However, worth the price."

Ok So here's the full story, scroll down for something less, well big.

We've been with Qwest since 2008, the most remembered part was their dedication when they spent TWO DAYS instaling ADSL to our house. Since then, we were happy 12mbps customer, that never wanted to switch after a horrible experience at Comcast, and all the way up 'till recently when Centurylink bought 'em out, we were as happy as could be. Once CL came along though, we had our second nightmare. No, night-terror. For the first few months, CL was fine, they got VDSL hooked up to our house and we swapped over to 20mbps. The connection was fine and we averaged speeds at 17mbps. However, once 40mbps came along, we jumped on the offer and upgraded. This is when it got bad, wireless speeds were far from 40mbps and we went through six, yeah six, modems -great. All of which were crappy Zyxel and Actiontec modems. After several calls to CL customer representatives all were nice but almost useless, changing channels, ports and of course modems. After none of that worked we said screw you and said we were switching back to Comcast and getting their Blast plan. As a house of geeks we asked for linebackers to show up -nothing was wrong. That was it, we called Comcast and setup an account they were to setup service just a bit later. Turned out the problem was a crappy signal from all the modems that only made it through one room in our house. The router brought our house to the speeds needed and after all that hell all is well now.

To cut it to the chase:

We had a mixed experience with CL and went through several modems and representatives it took months to get our house to 40mbps.

The Techs were friendly, but rather useless. Price is great $29.95 for four years (They let us keep our lock from Qwest... Sort of.).

Their modems suck, and signal only covers a room of our house. So, I would suggest buying a good router like our $200 Nighthawk.

CL Fiber (Up to 1gbps) is coming to our area. So, we aren't going anywhere. Comcast kills their DSL on regards to speed though.

Comments:

Review by cgreene See Profile

• Location: Roanoke Rapids,Halifax,NC
Good "Great speeds, good service, great field techs"
Bad "None that I can think of so far"
Overall "CenturyLink has been great from the time I order until going live"

After a 7 year wait for broadband, DSL finally came to my area on 2-15-10. I have been on dialup, satellite, 3G through the years. Always around T1 or better at work. I am about 3,000 feet from the RT so I ordered the 10 meg for 69.90 a month bundled with local phone service. Ordered over the phone and service was turned on 2-15-10 on the first day available. The local service techs Junior and Cory did a great job. The modem is a 660R in bridged mode. I am also using a Linksys 400N router. Speeds so far are always ~9850 to 9900 down and 840-850 up using speedtest.net or speakeasy.net. This has been a smooth ride so far. I will update as time goes.

10/08/2010

Still going strong after 8 months. Speeds are always there and no downtime. Wish everything was like this.

8/9/2011

After 18 months service is still GREAT! No downtime and speeds are still what I pay for. On the 10 meg plan I always get 10 or a little better down and 87 up. The first three or four hops are in the 8-10 ms range. It is like this 24/7. Very happy with CenturyLink.

7/15/12

Still receiving great service from CenturyLink. I am on the 10/896 package and speeds are right on target 24/7. Service has gone down once in over 2 years. That was due to a hurricane. I checked the modem stats a few days ago. This modem has been up for 6,643 + hours. Truly amazing!

11/19/13

Time for a update. The 10/896 has been great the past 16 months with no problems. After checking with CenturyLink founded out DSLAM has been upgraded to VDSL2 service. I am 3423 feet from the DSLAM and could receive 25/2 package. The line tech and inside tech showed up as scheduled and were up and down the road for a hour or so. They then ran cat 5 from the NID to the inside jack. Line sync is 25023/2014. I am getting a SOLID 23.5/1.90 at all times. What is interesting is these numbers are over a SINGLE PAIR and not bonded. Can't say enough about the techs that did the line and install work. They were great! CenturyLink has been GREAT for me over the years.

August 2014

Nothing new to report. CenturyLink has not been down once since last review. Still receiving 23.5/1.9 24/7. A few months ago did switch out the modem from Actiontec C1000A to Zyxel C1000Z. Don't really see any difference except the modem stats on the Zyxel are complete. Very happy with CenturyLink.

member for 10.7 years, 4619 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

linicx

I Agree

CL techs can make small miracles when they have the something to work with,but they can't pull 10/1 over dialup. Where I live, my miracle worker is an old lineman whose been with the company for years.