CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by Savious Zero See Profile

• Location: Belgrade,Gallatin,MT
Good "Cheap"
Bad "Slow, poor service"

Had a lot of issues trying to get this set up. They ended up sending me 2 modems, the install guy came out multiple times and they lost my order 3 times. Was supposed to have service installed ~Sept 21, didnt receive service until October.

member for 2.8 years, 1093 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Aninsider

sounds right

honestly im surprised you even got a tech to come out. most of the time they dont, but i do know as well that since you did get a tech to come out your paying a higher rental fee each month for that modem versus if you didnt have him come out and had it sent via standard shipping or there is always the option to go to a retail store where they give you the modems free cause they know there junk
CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

Serivce order/install issues

Hello Saviouss,
We don't liketo hear that orders or services are not working as they should and would like to help. If you are still having issues or have a previous issue that has yet to be resolved to your satisfaction please feel free to engage us directly at TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com
Regards,

said by CenturyLink:

Hello Saviouss,
Regards,
Steve @CenturyLinkHelp

Well, the service is slow, but I am getting what I pay for. Unfortunately, its the only option available in my area. If I could get better service than 1.5 Mbps, I would be happy.
Jobbie told me to change my sig.

BF15

@embarqhsd.net

Re: Serivce order/install issues

Lucky for you, i have constantly been having websites that come back as not unavailable all day long, and best we can get on my road is 512kbs... cant even stream netflix without a dozen buffering breaks in an hour long movie. and HD quality forget about it... can forget about online gaming too.

• Location: Las Vegas,Clark,NV
Good "None whatsoever"
Bad "No customer service never got my DSL turned on"
Overall "They made me wait at the business 4 to 8 hours for 3 days and never showed up"

Century Link has been a nightmare for me.  I was a customer for 13 years with the company that Century link purchased.  They were awesome.  Century Link was not.  When I tried to setup DSL at my business they made me send them notarized lease proving who I was even though

I have been a customer for years.  They made me send it not once but twice.  They schedule a day to install the Internet but did not show up

or call.   When I called them they gave me another number to call who

told me it would take another week and I would have to be at the location

from 2 pm to   6 pm.  I was there but they never showed up and never called.  Once again I called them only to be told that they were just too busy to get to me. They scheduled yet another day and told me this

time I would have to be there from 8 am to 6 pm.  They never showed up

and never called.  We are now looking for an honest company that will provide Internet service and support in a professional manner.

(review was emailed from domain indiesos.com)

Comments:
Aninsider

yea

right on point there. whats messed up is that one of CL's core prinicples is honesty even though they fail miserably at providing it

• Location: Punta Gorda,Charlotte,FL

If you are thinking of getting Centurylink and their prism, don't do it. It sucks. It is always freezing and the commercial says no lag in changing channels they are so full of crap it is unbelievable. Internet freezes also. I am going to go to comcast hopefully it will be a little better never had them.

(review was emailed from domain embarqmail.com)

Comments:

Samson H

Garbage

complete and total garbage, connection drops randomly for hours at a time numerous times a day. Speeds and pings are garbage, prices are so low because they'd be crucified for charging more for the ridiculously shitty service they provide.

Burnt

Re: Garbage

You might also like to know that Centurylink is a subsiderary of Level 3 Comm., who happens to be the IT contractor for the Feds. Everything you write or receive is viewed by them. They will track everything on your computer, know everything there is to know about you AND all your friends. Like our facist government, then support them by using them.

Prismisjunk

@embarqhsd.net

centurylink DSL

centurylink is total crap!!!!!!! had a 3rd party vendor of theirs promise me i'd have a 10 meg DSL connection. too bad i can only get a 1.5 meg connection were i'm at and it's $50 a month!!! i know CC has issues but i never had issues with CC like i do these fools!

Re: centurylink DSL

yup us third party vendors are there solely to make a sale to earn a commission. and not that im defending what we do cause we probably did lie to you too but more often than not its CL fault too cause there systems we have to use to setup orders are even garbage saying crap like dsl capacities are 10 meg or prism is available even though in both instances you are too far away.

Chris Robins

@qwest.net

full of you know what Century Link!

So Sorry I have tried and tried to be patient with the calm and yet courteous customer service rep; something they get paid for so I am not mad at her..she has a job. Century link is such an utterly disappointment to the Pueblo West, Colorado community. That's not the half of it; we have no one else to choose from so we have no choice but to put up with this garbage service and they know it. Some county Official is filling thier back pockets with our money and nothing we can do about it. Service drops, Game freezes, and I call them, they act link there is no problem with their connection...Bull...How can I prove their lying!!!!!!!!

bad service

@bresnan.net

centurylink as a business is a ripoff

I had a qwestoffice package and they told me I had to switch to this stupid core connect without telling me it was a whole different contract. Then when I cancelled and found a decent company they charged me a 300 dollar early cancellation fee because i had switched without being told it would start a new contract. Worthless as a business!!! If I ran my business that way I would be out of business. This whole company is a bunch of theives with no scrupples!!

In Vegas

@rr.com

Another Rip Off

I to get Century Link and Prisim last October. After almost a month of waiting, they were suppose to come and install the equipment to my house. They installed it all right, but to the wrong house, my neighbors house. I was told it take a month for them to return and install it on my home, because of the back log at that time. They came out and put the equipment on my house and a appointment was set up for the same week to have the rest of the equipment installed. The day before the installation date, I received a phone call and was told that there was a problem in my area for installing the Prisim, but they were working on it and should be resolved shortly, after waiting 45 days, the problem was resolved and they were to come out on a Sat.. I called around noon asking how much longer it was going to take, and was told the order had been canceled, because no one was able to get a hold of me to confirm the appointment, and that I would have to wait at least 14 days. Like a fool, I waited, and someone did show up, and after he installed the phone service, I asked about the Prisim, and was told that because I failed to call back, the order was canceled again. I told them since they canceled my order I was canceling their services..... Now they are trying to bill me $89 for having a tech come and install the phone. Unless your life is threatened by Century Link, stay away from them.

Review by drewp63 See Profile

• Location: Longmont,Weld,CO
Good "It's up"
Bad "Terrible performance"

I upgraded from my old 1.5 Mbps to 7. My performance went from 1 Mbps average to less than .4. They are suppose to be working on an upgrade. But based on the other reviews here, I don't expect that to have much impact.

Comments:
Aninsider

haha

someone really lied to you cause we dont even sell 7 meg internet....your choices are 512k, 768k, 1.5 meg, 3 meg, 4 meg, 5 meg (outdated grandfathered packages), 6 meg, 8 meg, 10 meg, 15 meg, 20 meg, 25 meg, and even in very few addresses 50 meg

Review by Fibre See Profile

• Location: Flagstaff,Coconino,AZ
Good "All around good"
Bad "Typical VDSL2 speed drops"
Overall "Good, at least for my area."

It works, I had DOCSIS 2.0 cable for years at speeds 10/1 for $65 a month, expensive. No drops or inconsistent speeds like a typical cable line would perform but that's it. Qwest was in this area and wow, mandatory contracts, ridiculous speeds for an expensive monthly charge. Since CenturyLink bought them, they seem a better organized service "at least" on the western areas of the country. CenturyLink originating from the eastern states are always complained at which I would assume the problems lie at the "century" old copper wires. But at least here it provides near 40/20 speeds aside from typical speed drops and from ordering the service to downloading, 7 darn days. Q1000 modem works but have it as bridged to my DIR-655 which handles my routing, PPPoE authentication and wireless. But all in all, I have no other choice other than Suddenlink's 15/768k for $50 or so which seems ridiculous or CenturyLink.

EDIT [2012-03-12]

I have now been experiencing daily afternoon speeds slower than the national average. 40/20 service here and getting flaky speeds, high pings. There was once a time where speeds were achieved as advertised, now it is greed, inconsistencies, lack of competition where the "minimum" speeds are not the given form of advertising but instead "up to", and to add salt and pepper to the situation, they cap it at 250GB.

Comments:

Review by tgray96 See Profile

• Location: Aurora,Dearborn,IN
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Support IS Friendly"
Bad "IT SUCKS"
Overall "My Dial-Up fail-over is normally faster"

We bought the 3/512 package (4 years ago) , we have had problems from day one, so many I can't list them all.
The current issue:
We have been getting speeds about like this:
Download Speed: 271 kbps (33.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 156 kbps (19.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 302 ms
Monday, March 12, 2012 1:59:28 AM
I called two weeks ago, and after 4 hours on the phone, and actually speaking to an engineer, they "found" an issue at our local terminal. Told me week tops, I'd be fixed.
Got the call about 8 days later, worked great, for about 13 hours. Called about 2 days after, was told that there was another issue, supposed to be fixed in the 12 hours.. We shall see... The moment something else becomes available, I will be switching...

Comments:

Review by vvv00 See Profile

• Location: Denver,Denver,CO
Good "online internet info is better than Qwest's was, tech support rep is usually on my side"
Bad "should be less expensive, and tech reps are polite but not always sharp"
Overall "okay for now"

Three years ago the cost of a local ISP, plus Qwest's monthly connection fee, became too high ($45 plus $28 I think), so I switched to Qwest alone. I believe the original rate was $60 a month for 1.5/896, but discounts for bundling ($5 a month) and a promotion ($10 a month) bring it down to $45. I had to insist on the promotion rate when my bill went up one month some time ago. These days I should think that 1.5 would be dirt cheap but the bill remains as it has been since then. I own a wireless router I bought some four years ago and am satisfied with my D-Link DSL-2460B. I don't know what router leasing or purchasing prices are, but I'll bet it comes out nice for CenturyLink over time.

CenturyLink (abbreviated CtL in some urls) service is okay but I had to work a little to get what I'm paying for after the sale of Qwest to CtL. The download rate in November was around 1.1-1.2Mbps but recently something changed and it sagged to around 0.825-0.925Mbps according to various tests, and the router's own rate numbers. A few hours after trying ctlhelp.com's tutorials, and a more effective phone conversation during which my "service was updated," download is back to 1.2Mbps, and upload went up too. The technical support rep said it should be around 1.4, which agrees with the router's rate numbers. However I must caution the reader that at one moment I had to point out that my router said its download rate was 1024Kbps, which isn't good enough, but the rep said 1.2M is an acceptable rate. It sounded like he confused 1.2Mbps with 1.02Mbps, and I corrected the oversight. It seems that the bigger the ISP, the more I find myself repeating or explaining to the tech reps what's going on and what I want (based on some experiences with Earthlink as well).

(I have info from the router's manufacturer about how to reset it with the intent of getting the rates up even more, which is next….)

If I saw something better than this arrangement, I'd take it.

Update: According to BigVe's point, 80-85% of 1440Kbps is 1152-1224Kbps, and speed test results at various web sites has been around that range.

Comments:

Review by Natelyst See Profile

• Location: Salt Lake City,Salt Lake,UT
Good "It works sometimes"
Bad "Speeds far lower then paid for"
Overall "Look for a different company"

I've had a long history of problems with this company. Their tech support had no clue what they were doing and they've been over to my place several times to try and fix the issue. Finally I just had to fix the damn thing myself. They never even thought of a DNS Cache issue and their solution was simply to mail routers nonstop (Most of which were broke with faulty power supplies.

To top off the bad support I have the fastest internet speeds my area can give with them which is around 10 mbps. Last week my speed randomly went up to over double what it has been and I was actually surprised and very happy. It went from 320 kbps download speed to around 700 kbps. Randomly today the router restarted for what I thought was no reason booting everyone in the house off of their games (we're all huge gamers) and once it restarted the internet speed was even lower then it had been originally. There's no way it's on our end and no way that's accidental. They intentionally throttled our internet and refuse to deliver what we are all paying for. I've called repeatedly and asked about it and they insure me it's on my end. The router they gave me is directly plugged into the access panel outside......no home phone line.........literally impossible for it to be anything but them.

All in all everything about this company is bad and after what they did today with the throttling I am done with the company. Why should I fork out extra for a faster internet when they purposely lower my speeds they promised me? Don't waste your money on these guys, they will screw you over.

Comments:

Review by reelstuff See Profile

• Location: Lineville,Clay,AL
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "There is not much good to report this company needs to withdraw from this service area."
Bad "Poor service, difficult technical support, often not honest about services, one of the worst experiences ever."
Overall "Use a tin can and a rope your likely to get better technical support."

For more than two years, I have been calmly and politely attempting to communicate with this organization, sadly a majority it has been almost impossible to establish any meaningful communication.

Technical support is horrible they will tell you what ever they can to attempt to get you off the phone, they are not helpful, they insult your intelligence by speaking techno garble, making up facts not in evidence, blaming their network issues on your computer. (that novel right?) they have perhaps the most disorganized technical support department I have ever seen.

The quality of service, QOS, is dismal at best and fraudulent at worst.

Network reliability, is very UNstable, ping times, sometimes approaching 1150 and up, images load line by line, have not seen that since Dialup...

I have contacted the corporate offices, attempting to find a solution to the bad levels of service, all communications were ignored.

Two years of emails, not one was answered.

If you want to experience the most frustrating Internet Service Provider you have ever worked with, Go for it, if you want good service find someone else.

Update, latency is a serious issue on this network, it effects the end user experience in a way that creates a quality of service that is not acceptable, when I called into Technical Support, I was told that CenturyTel does not guarantee latency? What? You mean that Centurytel does not provide a guarantee that you will get what you are paying for? Folks stay away, stay far away.

Comments:
Aninsider

lol

im sure they would design a way to tax your tin can setup

Review by blhauck19 See Profile

• Location: Omaha,Douglas,NE
Bad "Horrible quality"
Overall "Im going some where else with my money"

I've had century link for internet for almost 2 years. The whole time I've had 1.0 Mbps download speed and my up load is a 0.2 Mbps. I pay $50 a month for the 10.0 Mbps i was promised but have never had anything over 2.5 Mbps. I used speedtest.net and my Mbps have been a steady 0.95 and the ceturylink speed test is at 1.5Mbps. I called customer service and have been hung up on multiple times and had a rep repeatedly burp while they where on the phone with me. They did the ip address reconfiguration and modem power cycle. Not waiting to see if the problem was fixed they said problems fixed bye and hung up while I'm on the other end with it still not fixed. I am a criminal justice major in college and have missed multiple online classes due to the horrible internet service.. my money will go else where!!!