CenturyLink page on DSLReports

• Location: Southaven,Desoto,MS

Worst phone/Internet company ever! Do not use! They are incompetent...can't get anything right, from set up to billing we have had trouble with every aspect of both home phone and Internet service! Don't waste your time or money!

Sent from my iPhone

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by cayman44 See Profile

• Location: Denver,Denver,CO
Good "TalkToUs"
Bad "Sales staff lie, advertising lies, Philippine support sucks"
Overall "email TalktoUs"

10 Dec: Follow Up: Finally Tech came out and (surprise!) first had to bring service into my building. My line must have moved to another condo while I was off Qwest Service, but no one updated my line record - therefore CL sales and Philippine support said I was connected. Not! I will say that this Site and TalkToUs got me to a real "on-shore" (key-word) person who listened and set up a real appointment. After I was connected, my side of the line had noise on it limiting my 5 megs to 3.2 max. By my ability to get access to the on-floor (17th) frame room, the tech was able to reroute my line and bring me up to full rate - 5120 on the modem. What I learned: Know that 7meg advertised may be 3, 5, or less likely 7. Good tech can solve a lot of problems - help out, not hinder; Be patient but don't give in, stay calm and stay in contact with TalkToUs. Be home when tech arrives and have the tech show you the test meter speeds at the demarc and at your modem location - otherwise real truth to you is unknown. You will probably not get above 3/5/7 unless your area has fiber to your local DSLAM so ignore any advertising above that speed until you know for sure.

3 Dec: Interesting Follow Up: I have to add that I just saw a CL TV ad which I recorded that said very specifically that I could subscribe to up to 12 megs for 19.95 per month garanteed for five years. I immediately called, but their sales office is only open weekdays 6-6.

1 Dec: I have had Century Link for 3 days using a PK5000 modem. The DSL does not work. the DSL light only blinks. If you call tech you will wait and then you will talk to someone generally a female with a high pitched winey voice in the Philippines who wants to know if you have the green phone line plugged into the green line-in. Then they blame your house circuit when it is obviously their problem. The earliest they can schedule a tech to come out and work the problem is more than a week and I live in downtown Denver. You cannot easily talk to someone in the US. I ordered a 7 meg line and when they emailed the contract it says 5 Meg. If you don't bundle your DSL, it is not $30 but $35. What a headache. I'll try sending the contents of this email to TalktoUs.

Comments:

Review by grinch0064 See Profile

• Location: Billings,Yellowstone,MT
  • Telco party Qwest
Bad "Worst I have ever seen"
Overall "Get dial up"

CLINK worked for about a month then started disconnecting about 100-200 times a day. When it does work, if you could call it working the speeds are terrible. Technical support is a nightmare after you get hung up on a few times you need to just start demanding a supervisor or anyone that might possibly be able to speak understandable english. The best part is the advertised price is 14.95 a mo for first year and the first bill was 75 and the others have been 60. Only other choice is Optimum and they have horrible routing issues. Looking for a decent dial up service at this point. WORTHLESS SERVICE WORTHLESS SUPPORT.

F-

• Location: Vermillion,Clay,SD
Good "morning speed"
Bad "speed the rest of the day/support/everything"

Please alert people considering this company

I had been a subscriber of Quest for almost two years with zero problems. They recently sold out to
CenturyLink to my dismay I have had nothing but inconsistent speeds with them I pay for 6MBPS and receive speeds as slow as 100kb at times.

My setup is sound and CenturyLink is to blame. After calling them for weeks they sent a technician to check everything out He stated that everything was fine and that CenturyLink had oversold their bandwidth in this region After waiting three more weeks until November 6th the date new tech was
supposed to be installed I still cannot even watch netflix in SD on any device in my house My browser takes 10 seconds to change pages.

One time when I tried to call of the many the lady tried telling me I was on a promotional plan for half price Maybe for CenturyLink new prices. Furthermore, I had a great deal with Quest I paid 2425 for 6mbps I am going to change my internet service provider as soon as I have more time during banker hours.

NEGATIVE for all counts One star for all

Please respond to this review if you are also having problems I would like to give this list of unhappy customers to somebody that can do something.

Mike

(review was emailed from domain usd.edu)

Comments:

Review by liv2rydnv See Profile

• Location: Las Vegas,Clark,NV

I have been with Century Link (Embarq) for 10 years. They forever promise faster service but it never happens. Last week I called and was told that 10meg was available to me so I ordered it. They didn't bother to mention that my service would be down for a day and working on the net it caused major problems. Anyway after the ne service was started the line went down about every 10 minutes. I called tech support and waited two more days before a man went to the box to review the problem. He called me as he was working on it and informed me that I was set at 6meg not 10 that I was promised and that since I was so far from the main box the best I could expect was 3meg. So he set it at 3meg and the line would still keep dropping. So another call to tech support and a man came to the house only to tell me that I can not even get 3 meg at my home because of the distance to the box. So another day down and my service set at 1.5meg. a week of lost work over being lied to repeatedly. Century link was my chosen provider because when I signed up at this address (6 years ago) I was promised higher speed than the original 1.5 meg withing 1-2 years. While I like Century link, they need to kkep there promises and deliver what they say they will. A little communication between the techs and customer service might be nice as well so they are not selling what they can't deliver. I will be changing service in the next couple of weeks not because of the service, but because of the lies and loss of income due to their inability to communicate and actually know what they have and can offer. They were at one time the best in customer service, now I don't even get an apology for the lost time I spent. Disgraceful.

member for 3 years, 2 visits, last login: 2 years ago

Comments:

Review by Bradmph See Profile

• Location: Spokane,Spokane,WA
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "I am still trying to decide if there are any good thing about Century Link DSL"
Bad "Main office is over 4,000 feet away, connections are not consistant, prices are a scam...jumping way up after promo ends."
Overall "By a satelite, launch it into space. Put dish up & install fiber optics. If you want the job done right...doit yourself!"

Century Link has a marketing skeem that pushes BS to the limits. I can honestly say that about 15% of what they told me was true. I warn everyone out there if you decide to hire Century Link for your ISP, tape record the conversation. You will need to remind them of what they sold you and what you were given.

I ordered 40/20, first modem was sent wrong by them. We sent back and waited for second modem. After receiving and installing second modem, Up and down speed was 7/.5. CL tech diagnostic the modem and found it was garbage and sent out a third modem. After installing the speed increased to about 10/1. I called CL and had them send out an installer. This guy was great and honest too. He checked everything and fixed the line from the pole to house and gave me a bunch of wire to rewire from outside house to computer room. He did meter checks at all locations and ran a clean line to our main phone box so I can run a connection from that to room. He increase speed to 24/4 which was very nice to have after all the crap so far. He explained why I will never get 40/20 and not to purchase that speed rate because it will never be achieved from our location. He advised us to downgrade the pricey 40/20 to a little lower speed so we would not keep having problems with consistantancy and save us cash too. There are still some honest folks out there, this installer was knowledgible, honest and I hope if I need his expertise again, they send him out.

I am pretty sure I will go back to Comcast in the future since I feel they don't stick it in you as far as Century Link does. 8^O

Comments:

Review by longlet See Profile

• Location: Bainbridge Island,Kitsap,WA
  • Telco party Qwest
Bad "Deceptive business practice."
Overall "Move to a new provider!"

I Just had a disturbing encounter with Centurylink. My Qwest modem -- that has provided flawless service since 2007 "suddenly" went DOA right after Centrylink took over? The support rep (off shore) after some very amateur testing -- said the only thing I could do was "buy a brand new modem..." Funny - that's the same scam earthlink tried to pull when I dumped them.

Ya know what they say -- "buyer beware" If you have been scammed similar - don't expect agencies responsible for preventing this type of thievery to come to your rescue. Earthlink never changed their bad behavior despite repeated complaints. Time to move to another provider.

• Location: Sandstone,Pine,MN
Good "They put contact phone numbers on their billing statements."
Bad "CenturyLink: Bait and Switch (?) coupled with Poor Customer Service."
Overall "Go with someone else if you want stress free service and peace of mind."

We recently moved from St. Paul, where we enjoyed nearly 30 years of quality service through Comcast and its predecessor, to a tiny town in northern Minnesota. Though Comcast would have been our first choice for services, they were unavailable in this community, and so we went with CenturyLink. We had trepidations about this switch as we were forced into CenturyLink service previously when they bought out CenturyTel here, and were so dissatisfied with their service at our cabin we eventually opted to go without any. However, our living circumstances changed, making them the only game in town, so to speak, and since dozens of postcards sent in the mail, along with billboards lining I-35 yelled out a fantastic promotion for a bundled package of phone and internet service for $19.95 a month, guaranteed for 5 years, no contract, we thought it might turn out okay.

I spent many, many hours on the phone prior to the move to get service set up because we fell into some strange category that meant we didn't fit into the new Qwest merger territory (bummed me out as I have been with Qwest or its predecessor for almost 40 years), so it took many different representatives to get the job done I guess. Service began on November 1st, and I was able to get internet hooked up as of November 8th. On November 14th we lost both phone and internet service. I was on the (cell) phone (AT&T service up here is just great!) - with Mike for 48 minutes when he determined that he would need to send a tech out the next day. Someone had to be home from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. as they do not have smaller blocks of time they schedule within (oh, how I miss Comcast). My husband stayed home all day and no one came or called. Late that night when I got back home, I called CenturyLink because we still didn't have internet. Jim had me perform a few tasks and we had service again. He also told me that they decided not to send anyone out because it turned out they had a widespread problem. I asked why no one called to tell us that and he said because they don't make such courtesy calls (I miss Qwest too).

On 11/18 received our first bill and was sick to my stomach to see $69.90 where $19.95 should have been. I called and spoke with Gretchen, explaining what the promotional card had said, and that Nancy, a seemingly very competent woman who had been the last person I had to speak with in completing the set up process, had confirmed that indeed service for internet and phone was only $19.95 a month as

long as we bundled those two things together. Gretchen seemed distraught along with me, and said she would get me to their Loyalty Department immediately. I still don't understand why she flagged me over to Loyalty, as I had made NO threat to leave, but that's what she abruptly did. I waited six minutes before Gretchen came back and told me Angela was on the line and would help me from there.

Without saying so much as hello, Angela sighed disgustedly then said to me, "Gretchen told me your story, so you want to disconnect your service?" I was taken aback. I mean, so far the only thing I'd said to anybody was that the bill was $69.90 instead of the promised $19.95, and could they (Gretchen in this case) explain why. Anyway, I replied no, that I wanted to have the bill explained and then discuss options. Angela

coolly replied, "There are no options. Do you want to disconnect service?"

My first thought was, man, if this is your loyalty department, you guys are in a lot of trouble, my second thought was, hmm, this is not a very typical response, do they get a lot of calls like mine? Angry now, I said, no, I don't want to cancel, and if you can't talk to me about options, maybe you can talk to me about bait and switch? She

became silent for a few seconds, then told me it would cost $49.95 for the internet alone, so this was a real deal. As a side note to the reader, I want to say that CenturyLink is providing us with a maximum of 1.5 mbps. At Comcast we received up to12 mbps for $24.95 because of our bundling with cable TV, so I'm not sure where the "deal" is there.

Anyway, I said that was an awful lot of money, maybe I could drop the long distance feature and/or the extra's like 3 way calling etc. She told me I couldn't, that they were all inclusive and I needed to take it or leave it. I told her that I couldn't just cancel since there were no other providers in this area, and the conversation ended with her saying "fine" and hanging up.

Calling back immediatley, I got Rebecca, who looked at my file then accidentally (?) disconnected me. I called again and got Josh, who spoke with me for nearly ten minutes, honestly explaining options and telling me that I could go with "basic" phone for $23.72 and internet for $$30.94 plus taxes if I took a one year contract, or go with no contract and pay $10 more a month.

We still haven't figured out what we should do regarding service, but I know this, if you have anther provider you're even remotely happy with, stick with them. Our CenturyLink experience has been dreadful from the very beginning. If we had any other options for service we would go there in a heartbeat. In the meantime, we will be contacting the Attorney General's Office so they can look into CenturyLink practices.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by HeavyHemi See Profile

• Location: 98500
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Used to"
Bad "currently getting dial-up speed"
Overall "If there was another option besides Sat internet, I'd be gone."

Service was a steady 1.35Mbps for months up loads consistently over 0.75Mbps.

3 days ago my download has gone to crap at less than 0.1Mbps 24/7 consistently and my ping varies from 100msec to over 1000msec. Previously it was a steady 59-60msec on interleave. I've made several calls to tech support and the best answer I could get is MAYBE they will have it fixed by the end of November. They cited DSLAM 'congestion'. Great, just loading the CTL web page takes several minutes. Mail times out, forget using for anything else but reading text. Frankly in this day and age, this is totally unacceptable service and response.

Comments:

Review by aszure3 See Profile

• Location: Spokane,Spokane,WA
Good "not much"
Bad "price and upload/download speeds"
Overall "Go with somone else."

I am going to switch tomorrow if I can not find a good compromise

member for 14.3 years, 2379 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago