CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by yaunchi See Profile

• Location: Copperas Cove,Coryell,TX
Good "Ease of use. They offer lots of bundles"
Bad "WAY over priced & not worth it!!!"
Overall "GET Away from the Phone Company.. Be your own phone provider!"

Was with Embarq & had little options about that. They were the only phone company available to me when I bought my new house & since it was a new development, it was either them or Cable!!! & cable is just taxed to darn high!!!

Short & Sweet, Century Link purchased Embarq. Service went down hill, prices when Up & I was still stuck with them. I said screw them all and purchased an "OOMA Device" its a small internet phone system you can hook up yourself. Kind of like Vonage or Magic Wire without the bills or being tethered to a Computer. Got voice mail, internet voice mail & a bunch of stuff with no cost... I only have to pay the $3.75 internet tax. I still needed internet so went with Time Warner Cable (Only their internet) Cable modem. Plugged in my OOMA device & had OOMA port my old phone number to my device. I don't really get any customer service from OOMA but, Hey it's my device. I paid $200 for it & now I have no Phone Bill. Just the $3.75 tax for internet 911 service. So I happy to not deal with them!!! So I say screw the phone Company get free US Long distance & only pay the small amount for tax. Century link can kiss me where the sun don't shine. I'm not paying for their crap any more!!!!

Comments:

Review by MikeRubin See Profile

• Location: Santa Fe,Santa Fe,NM
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "No downtime"
Bad "No longer offers previous functionality"
Overall "Would love another DSL option"

I have a vacation home in Santa Fe, NM. Qwest provided my dsl service for the last four years, before being acquired by Centurylink. During Qwest's tenure, I never had issues sending AOL email from my iPhone or other devices and had a reliable VPN connection to my office. As recently as last June, right before the acquisition, these capabilities existed.

This week, I can't send AOL email from my iPhone or Android tablet (need to switch to cellular to get the email out of my outbox) and, despite hours of calls to my employer's IT department, Centurylink tech support, and the router manufacturer (Actiontec), can't get a VPN or FTP connection to my office. It doesn't matter whether I am operating with Ethernet or wirelessly.

The IT department says Centurylink clearly has locked down some ports, but Centurylink is adamant that the problem is with the Actiontec modem/router, which now is "too old. " (It clearly wasn't "too old" three months ago when everything was working just fine.)

The solution supposedly is for me to buy a more recent Actiontec model that (a) apparently is not available at retail in Santa Fe, and (b) has known issues streaming from itunes and DLNA servers. As the only variable here is the change in ISP ownership, I have to suspect that Centurylink is doing something that results in lesser service for the same money. BTW, all my devices work as expected on the free wifi at Starbucks down the hill from here.

All in all, this is quite unsatisfactory. Wish I had a decent DSL alternative.

Comments:

Review by Noa12390 See Profile

• Location: New Plymouth,Payette,ID
Good "none that i can find"
Bad "if i started it would last 10 pages"
Overall "Get any other ISP if you can"

we had qwest for 2 and a half years and it was fully stable at 640k all that time yet after centurylink buys qwest the line is not only no longer stable it fried a modem and we get many d/c plus uncanceled echo errors of 4.4 dB to 11.6 dB on their line at times

we have had the line from the house replaced in hopes that was the problem and other then dropping the noise on the line 5 dB it didn't help any we also put in brand new phone lines in the house and still it d/c

Bottom Line if you can find Any other way to get internet do so

Comments:

Review by USAFgunner See Profile

• Location: Hill Afb,Davis,UT
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "None that I can see, things were better as Qwest"
Bad "Way slower than advertised speeds"
Overall "Cancelling when business office is open"

I have been with Qwest for just over 10 years a couple years ago they offered 7Mbps connection which I upgraded to when it was available in my area. I consistantly had speeds on my Playstation3 speed test of between 4.9 and 5.3Mbps during the evening and up to about 5.6Mbps after 11PM MST.

My wife called them the other day for something and the (now centurylink) customer service representative told her that upgrading to the 12 Mbps connection would only cost 3 dollars more, my wife agreed and they told her to wait til Friday after 5PM and unplug and restart the modem. I did that and went and checked my speeds to my Playstation expecting a nice increase in speed. But when I ran the speed test on my playstation it returned a speed of 3.1 Mbps down and 712.3 Kbps up. Now Call of Duty is nearly unplayable. Bad lag and kicked out of a game half way through. I checked the speed here at DSLreports.com and about the exact same result. I logged in to my modem and it reports the higher tier speed. If I run a "centurylink" speed test, it reports 11.3 Mbps with 800 Kbps up.

To me, it is obvious that I took a speed hit because online gaming has degraded so much and my game console speed report is significantly slower. I called centurylink and they had me do the same things I already did and then told me since the speed test at centurylink reported I was getting within 80% of the advertised speed that there was nothing they could do for me. I spoke to a supervisor and told her about the hit in speeds to my devices and she told me that I was receiving a higher speed and that I should contact my device manufacturers to see why I am not receiving that speed. I find it odd that just the day before, all of these devices worked perfectly fine and recieved much higher speeds at a lower advertised bandwidth. I am confident that my devices are working properly. Is centurylink using a different standard to test their speeds or are they "fudging the numbers" to justify charging more for less bandwidth?

Comments:

Review by m5comp See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,Marion,AL
  • Telco party CenturyTel

I would not recommend CenturyLink to my worst enemy. I have to use it because I live in a small town and the only other option is a very unreliable Mom-and-Pop cable company.

Comments:

Review by rich669 See Profile

Bad "Getting worse"

I have used this service for years and years now as there is no competition until a few months from now coming and I will be switching. We play online games and as long as no one is streaming anything including utube etc then it barely gets by, if anyone has to DL anything it cripples our entire houses dsl until they are done.

Have had to complain to have it turned back up to the low speed which is the highest they have here a few times. DO they care? No as they have been the only game in Dover, Ar as far as high speed net but that is about to change and I am sick of this bad dsl.

»www.speedtest.net/result/1424903709.png

This test was taken with one pc, a high dollar gaming rig, tell me this is sad.

• Location: Chambersburg,Franklin,PA

Centurylink is horrible. I have been losing my signal 100+ times in a 4 hour period. They sent someone 4 times to check everything. The whole house was rewired and checked.

They also went from the house to the pole, and then down the road to the box.=C2=A0 They changed the equipment. Their tec came to my house- STOLE MY THUMBDRIVE and several other things- and installed a bunch of crap on my computer that I didnt ask him to.

The internet only got worse, and the tec finally blamed the router. So I bought a brand new router, and guess what IT DOESNT WORK BECAUSE THERE IS NO GOOD CONNECTION.=C2=A0 Now I also lose my phone when customers are calling.

If it weren't for losing my current phone number (which is published in the yellowpages) I would have switched.

I am in a somewhat rural area, but I am right near their junction box, and 10 min from their main office. Don't ever get their service. I have only heard bad things since I got them....

(review was emailed from domain embarqmail.com)

Comments:

Review by rwproft9 See Profile

• Location: Gatesville,Coryell,TX
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "We have phone service and DSL while out in the country"
Bad "Service is not up to par with past quality and well below metro area speeds"
Overall "Since changing from Sprint to Embarq to now CenturyLink DSL has gotten much worse"

We pay quite a hefty amount to have phone service and DSL in a rural setting ( the high dollar amount is for multiple phone lines, DSL at 3Mb/512Kb, and static IP ). If the performance had not continually gotten worse, I would not be inclined to complain. Unfortunately, service has continually degraded and we now will typically get less than half the download speed we are paying for. If I had another choice, I would be looking for another service. Perhaps that day will come, but for now we are pretty well stuck.

Update 7/15/11

I have noticed a small improvement the last couple of days but also have noticed that the link to East Coast is quite a bit faster than the link to West Coast. There is a definite degradation in speed in the evenings but during working hours, we see about 80% of the advertised download speed if we aren't going to the Bay Area. The Bay Area connection can be downright terrible at less than 1Mb. I haven't looked at the route yet, so this may indicate an issue with service to that particular region with the provider. Ping times can be 2X to 3X East Coast times.

Another note that is unique to our rural location. Our data connection drops frequently and especially if there is any moisture in the general area within 5-10 miles of us. This has been true for years and repeated complaints have yet to yield any solutions. This problem takes down all DSL connections in the area, so it is appears to be something between the local box and the CO that is the problem. I wrote a small software script to monitor the noise margin on the line and whenever we get a drop in margin to 8 dB, it will reset the DSL line. Margin jumps to 24+ dB on reset and will keep us from dropping our VPN connections. It is a real pain in the rear to put up with this for years and I really feel for all my neighbors who need to hit the power switch on their modem every time. They basically can't use the service if we have rain or high humidity.

Update 7/29/11

We were completely down for the second time in two weeks for a full day. This was apparently something that effected most of Texas. We use a static IP and for some reason were down longer than our neighbors. CenturyLink support said it was a fiber issue. Since the second outage, the performance has been very poor, especially in the evening. I did a bit of traffic capture and it looks a lot like router exhaustion compounded by packet delay. Maybe one of you experts out there can verify this by looking at a chart I made this morning. This actually looks pretty good compared to the evening charts.

Comments:

Review by macpete See Profile

• Location: Oakland,Marion,AR
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Their bills are always on time"
Bad "After 8 years with their DSL, they continue to bump their head on the baseline of mediocracy"
Overall "Marketing sells bundles and TV etc.; Tech provides no capability to handle bundles"

After 8 years, it took a lineman on the ground to figure where the missing 0.2Mbps was; it took a voice line quality complaint to stumble over our years of being overcharged for 1.5Mbps; apparently plugged into the wrong server at one of their privy sized substations; now up to a blinding 1.5Mbps when everybody else is asleep; Marketing sells bundles and TV etc.; Tech provides no capability to handle those bundles because the DSL is too slow; no matter what, any need for any service over what 1.5Mbps can give you; BTW, voice touch tone is extra charge; absolutely no advance info to longstanding customers of upgrade services or intended improvements; guess that's because there have been none here.

A routine update on speed test this AM early, assures me we're still connected to .9Mbps service that's creeping with intent to crawl. Marketing continues to try to sell via telephone and print services that are impossible given it's industrial revolution rural standards. They continue to bump their head on mediocrity and fail to live up to the low standards they've set for themselves. They create the illusion of progress but taking the $$$ they've scammed and buy another company. Bigger is gooder - except for their rural hostages.

Comments:

Review by Cant2ny See Profile

• Location: Chaska,Carver,MN
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Bad "By far, the worst ISP I have ever gotten; slow speeds, terrible reps"
Overall "Do not go with them unless you like headaches and tech support"

Signed up for install on a Tuesday morning - was Friday before he ever showed up to install. Customer Service kept stating, emergency and longer then expected installed. Talked to the rep when he finally showed, claimed he couldn't get access to the building, funny - it's a managed building with 9-5 employees; all office staff was authorized to let you in. Additionally, all you had to do was hook up cables in the basement, I had my apartment covered since Centurylink sent me the modem already.

I signed up for 3 MPBS, and never got it. Barely registered 1.5 MPBS; called tech support multiple times. Finally dispatched someone, who checked my internal network and confirmed my findings, that it wasn't in my apartment, but an external problem. Keep in mind, I'm a network admin for a major company - so yea, I know what I'm talking about when I say it's not my network. Finally, the tech calls me back 6 hours later and says external equipment is bad, and he fixed it temporary until a better solution is found. So for about another 2 months, I had the speeds I was paying for.

Flash forward, 6 months and I upgrade my speeds to 10 MBPS. They tell me it's going to take 2 days for the tech to come out and hook the connections up. 1 week later, I finally get the call that my 10 MBPS should be good. Again, emergency calls and no access to my building. BS - I was here the whole time on vacation, hence why I scheduled it for that time. So I run a speed test - barely registering 1 MBPS. Called tech support, they have me do all the normal support; finally escalate the ticket. After 4 weeks of less then 1 MBPS speeds, they determine the equipment outside is bad; yea, the original guy never replaced it. Flash forward another 2 months, I'm still registering 1.5 MBPS. 4 escalated tickets later, and they finally dispatch someone to take a look at their central equipment.

The kicker was through all this, I requested numerous credits on my account since heck, I'm paying for 10 MBPS, but not getting it. Got one good rep, that I would give praises to and defend; but the rest were some of the most incompentent, arrogant fools I've ever dealt with. Between their absolute BS of what networking was, and stupid excuses; I had enough. But the rep that takes the cake - here is the conversation:

Me - "Hi, i've been having problems with my service for the past few months, tech support is aware of it, I have multiple tickets open regarding it; I was hoping to get a credit on my account"

Billing CSR Rep - "Ok sir hold on... (few minutes later)... OK, Sir I've figured out the problem, it's the fact that your router has not been purchased through us"

Me - "What would the router have to do with anything, and besides I've hooked up the computer up to the modem directly to rule out a router problem"

Her - "OK sir, the fact is your router is not equipped to deal with our signal and is causing the problem - purchase a router through us and I'll be able to help you"

Me - "The router has nothing to do with it, are you referring to the modem; which I did rent through you"

Her - "No sir, it's the router"

Me - "No, it isn't - the router is only used for load distribution and wireless; the modem's purpose is to convert an analog to digital signal - at best, it's the modem's problem. But your original tech showed on his equipment that the incoming signal at the jack barely registered about what my speed tests are showing"

Her - "Sir, I'm not debating this with you, it's the router, and until you purchase one through us, I'm not giving you a credit on your account. You've been calling every month for a credit on your account, constantly claiming slow speeds." (WTF, you think - I'm not paying 70 bucks for a service I can get for $30)

Just cancelled my service. Avoid Centurylink or whatever they're called with all the companies their overtaking. They are absolutely terrible and their infrastructure is crumbling. As they gain more of a monopoly in the area, the less their equipment is able to handle. So pretty much, pay for 10 MBPS, be prepared to only get a few MBPS in the busiest part of the day. I could go on and on about it, but truthfully, I have a headache from typing this.

I also forgot to mention that when I upgraded from 3 - 10 MBPS, I was told that it would not renew my contract. Guess who got sucked into another contract with only 3 months left of this crappy company.