CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by mmagic See Profile

• Location: Englewood,Arapahoe,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Bad "Major misrepresentation of performance."
Overall "Thottles 60% access beyond their own backboon !"

CenturyLink is a marketing sham. They provide test results to their own web site at 18+ meg on a 20 meg subscription... reasonable. However, when you run speed tests beyond their backbone you they range from 3 meg to 7 meg.

CenturyLink/Qwest is a scam.

Comments:

Review by thiswebs4u See Profile

• Location: Silverthorne,Summit,CO
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Used to be Qwest, I Loved Qwest"
Bad "US West/Qwest/CenturyLink had enough already"
Overall "SUCKS!"

All Hell broke loose when CenturyLink took over. Beside their stupid commercials this service sucks big time. When you call in they do everything they can to not help you. First they hung up on me. Then told me my modem wasn't supported because it wasn't theirs. Then I got one of their old modems called and told them they have to help me. They always make you take all of your equipment apart un plug etc. Then they say it's your computer. When Friday comes the speed drops to turtle speed because of the weekenders getting on the net. There is no other high speed internet here besides US West/Qwest/CenturyLink. We are moving the hell out of here and getting cable at the next house. We have the 1.5 mbps package the highest available. Also when the power has a 5 second outage the internet is out for a full day, they have to send their monkeys up here to restart the service, it's the 20th Century what Century are they linking. Hey folks how about a UPS Uninterrupted Power Supply in case they read this.

Anyway I can't wait to never deal with them again!!!!

Also we have been customers for over 10 years. GOODBYE

Comments:

Review by STWTech See Profile

• Location: Tooele,Tooele,UT
Good "When it was Qwest"
Bad "it is now Century Link"
Overall "Bad reviews are about equal to good reviews"

Was having a problem that I could not connect to certain web sites on the wireless network like MSN but had Google. Keep in mind that I didn't adjust my wireless settings on the modem/router and the only thing that changed is Qwest became Century Link

First it is was one computer then after messing with the wireless setting on that computer it switched to the other computer. Called tech support and got Mia. She ran a few tests that come equipped with the router/modem, of which I had already ran, and said that everything was fine with the router and said my computer was the problem. Told her that I had already updated the wireless card driver and firewall and virus protection were off. She ran a few more test and changed my wireless setting from WPA2 to just WPA which messed up my whole home network (NAS, wireless printers, etc) and is less secure. After I insisted that is was a Nat or DCHP setting on the router she got frustrated and asked me in a very condescending way "What did you do to your computer". I said thanks but no thanks and hung up the phone.

I now have a new wireless router which is still connected to Century Link Modem through wired and the wireless internet work perfectly on everything in the network. In the next couple of weeks I will be switching to OOMA for home phone and either comcast or Beehive Broadband for internet.

Bottom line: Was a Qwest customer for 15 years. Now I'm not going to be anymore.

member for 3 years, 0 visits, last login: 3 years ago

Comments:

Review by dstarrant See Profile

• Location: Aurora,Arapahoe,CO
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "DirecTV is better than Comcast"
Bad "Everything about CenturyLink"
Overall "I'm keeping DirecTV and returning to Comcast VOIP and Internet"

As bad as I thought Comcast was, CenturyLink is the worst. This may be because of the poor treatment under Qwest's management.

member for 3 years, 0 visits, last login: 3 years ago

Comments:

Review by yaunchi See Profile

• Location: Copperas Cove,Coryell,TX
Good "Ease of use. They offer lots of bundles"
Bad "WAY over priced & not worth it!!!"
Overall "GET Away from the Phone Company.. Be your own phone provider!"

Was with Embarq & had little options about that. They were the only phone company available to me when I bought my new house & since it was a new development, it was either them or Cable!!! & cable is just taxed to darn high!!!

Short & Sweet, Century Link purchased Embarq. Service went down hill, prices when Up & I was still stuck with them. I said screw them all and purchased an "OOMA Device" its a small internet phone system you can hook up yourself. Kind of like Vonage or Magic Wire without the bills or being tethered to a Computer. Got voice mail, internet voice mail & a bunch of stuff with no cost... I only have to pay the $3.75 internet tax. I still needed internet so went with Time Warner Cable (Only their internet) Cable modem. Plugged in my OOMA device & had OOMA port my old phone number to my device. I don't really get any customer service from OOMA but, Hey it's my device. I paid $200 for it & now I have no Phone Bill. Just the $3.75 tax for internet 911 service. So I happy to not deal with them!!! So I say screw the phone Company get free US Long distance & only pay the small amount for tax. Century link can kiss me where the sun don't shine. I'm not paying for their crap any more!!!!

member for 3 years, 0 visits, last login: 3 years ago

Comments:

Review by MikeRubin See Profile

• Location: Santa Fe,Santa Fe,NM
Good "No downtime"
Bad "No longer offers previous functionality"
Overall "Would love another DSL option"

I have a vacation home in Santa Fe, NM. Qwest provided my dsl service for the last four years, before being acquired by Centurylink. During Qwest's tenure, I never had issues sending AOL email from my iPhone or other devices and had a reliable VPN connection to my office. As recently as last June, right before the acquisition, these capabilities existed.

This week, I can't send AOL email from my iPhone or Android tablet (need to switch to cellular to get the email out of my outbox) and, despite hours of calls to my employer's IT department, Centurylink tech support, and the router manufacturer (Actiontec), can't get a VPN or FTP connection to my office. It doesn't matter whether I am operating with Ethernet or wirelessly.

The IT department says Centurylink clearly has locked down some ports, but Centurylink is adamant that the problem is with the Actiontec modem/router, which now is "too old. " (It clearly wasn't "too old" three months ago when everything was working just fine.)

The solution supposedly is for me to buy a more recent Actiontec model that (a) apparently is not available at retail in Santa Fe, and (b) has known issues streaming from itunes and DLNA servers. As the only variable here is the change in ISP ownership, I have to suspect that Centurylink is doing something that results in lesser service for the same money. BTW, all my devices work as expected on the free wifi at Starbucks down the hill from here.

All in all, this is quite unsatisfactory. Wish I had a decent DSL alternative.

Comments:

Review by Noa12390 See Profile

• Location: New Plymouth,Payette,ID
Good "none that i can find"
Bad "if i started it would last 10 pages"
Overall "Get any other ISP if you can"

we had qwest for 2 and a half years and it was fully stable at 640k all that time yet after centurylink buys qwest the line is not only no longer stable it fried a modem and we get many d/c plus uncanceled echo errors of 4.4 dB to 11.6 dB on their line at times

we have had the line from the house replaced in hopes that was the problem and other then dropping the noise on the line 5 dB it didn't help any we also put in brand new phone lines in the house and still it d/c

Bottom Line if you can find Any other way to get internet do so

Comments:

Review by USAFgunner See Profile

• Location: Hill Afb,Davis,UT
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "None that I can see, things were better as Qwest"
Bad "Way slower than advertised speeds"
Overall "Cancelling when business office is open"

I have been with Qwest for just over 10 years a couple years ago they offered 7Mbps connection which I upgraded to when it was available in my area. I consistantly had speeds on my Playstation3 speed test of between 4.9 and 5.3Mbps during the evening and up to about 5.6Mbps after 11PM MST.

My wife called them the other day for something and the (now centurylink) customer service representative told her that upgrading to the 12 Mbps connection would only cost 3 dollars more, my wife agreed and they told her to wait til Friday after 5PM and unplug and restart the modem. I did that and went and checked my speeds to my Playstation expecting a nice increase in speed. But when I ran the speed test on my playstation it returned a speed of 3.1 Mbps down and 712.3 Kbps up. Now Call of Duty is nearly unplayable. Bad lag and kicked out of a game half way through. I checked the speed here at DSLreports.com and about the exact same result. I logged in to my modem and it reports the higher tier speed. If I run a "centurylink" speed test, it reports 11.3 Mbps with 800 Kbps up.

To me, it is obvious that I took a speed hit because online gaming has degraded so much and my game console speed report is significantly slower. I called centurylink and they had me do the same things I already did and then told me since the speed test at centurylink reported I was getting within 80% of the advertised speed that there was nothing they could do for me. I spoke to a supervisor and told her about the hit in speeds to my devices and she told me that I was receiving a higher speed and that I should contact my device manufacturers to see why I am not receiving that speed. I find it odd that just the day before, all of these devices worked perfectly fine and recieved much higher speeds at a lower advertised bandwidth. I am confident that my devices are working properly. Is centurylink using a different standard to test their speeds or are they "fudging the numbers" to justify charging more for less bandwidth?

Comments:

Review by m5comp See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,Marion,AL
  • Telco party CenturyTel

I would not recommend CenturyLink to my worst enemy. I have to use it because I live in a small town and the only other option is a very unreliable Mom-and-Pop cable company.

Comments:

Review by rich669 See Profile

Bad "Getting worse"

I have used this service for years and years now as there is no competition until a few months from now coming and I will be switching. We play online games and as long as no one is streaming anything including utube etc then it barely gets by, if anyone has to DL anything it cripples our entire houses dsl until they are done.

Have had to complain to have it turned back up to the low speed which is the highest they have here a few times. DO they care? No as they have been the only game in Dover, Ar as far as high speed net but that is about to change and I am sick of this bad dsl.

»www.speedtest.net/result/1424903709.png

This test was taken with one pc, a high dollar gaming rig, tell me this is sad.