CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by jimmybriggs See Profile

• Location: Tallahassee,Leon,FL
Good "Phone representatives seem like they want to help"
Bad "60 days of calling but no resolution"
Overall "Speed is completely unreliable and never the speed I pay for"

I switched to a "pure" broadband connection. I was at a 3mb Speed before I
switched to 10mb speed and removed the phone bundle.

After switching I noticed in November that I was only receiving a 1mb
connection. My speed had actually fallen instead of increase. I began to
call support in the beginning of November 2010. The first representative I
spoke with had me disconnect and restart my modem. Checked several other
things and then had me open a command prompt. I did several ftp tests with
them on the phone and they confirmed there was an issue with my connection.
I told them that it seems that it happens more at night than during the day
time. They said they would open a ticket and see about having the nearby
station checked out and that they would call me back in a couple days.

I waited 5 days and called back because nothing had changed speed wise on my
side. They said it looked like the technician closed the ticket and that he
came during the daytime. I re-explained that this was during the evening and
mostly at night when I experienced my connection issues. The representative
on the phone confirmed that information was noted and that the tech. must
have made a mistake. This new rep then re-opened the issue and said he would
call me back in a couple days.

I waited another 3 days and noticed no change. The next rep I spoke with
explained that nobody should be saying they would call back because that is
not normal. He said he saw the open ticket but couldn't tell me anything
more. Now that it had been several days he explained he would escalate the
issue and that he would not be calling back but I would or may receive an
automated message later on for a survey. I smiled at the thought of a survey
now that it was approaching 14 days with a 1mb or less connection. The rep
explained to call back again if I had an issue still by the end of the week.

I waited a few more days and called back as nothing was changing except the
connection was now dropping below .5 mb during both day and night. The rep I
spoke with had me do the same reset and ftp tests. Said the issues were
closed and I should not be having an issue. Again she confirmed that I was
having troubles and opened another ticket. She told me to call back by the
end of the week if there was still and issue.

I waited and called back again this time I spoke with someone named Thomas
in the Orlando office. He has seemed the most helpful so far in actually
finding out information although he failed at calling me back a 3rd time. He
confirmed that something called the chronic team was handling the issue now
and that there was a emc escalation or some sort of acronym. He said he
could check in and call me back after they were scheduled to come out to the
area in the next 2 days. Thomas returned his call (finally a rep that did
call back) and explained the issue should be resolved. However when we
checked the ftp tests and speed he relized I was still having the same
issue. Thomas said he would escalate it and call back. However this did not
happen.

I waited about 4 days and called again. This time I spoke with a rep named
Theresa in North Carolina. She was as helpful as Thomas. Did the same thing
as above, even the call back. However she said her supervisor would call
down to Tallahassee and try to get some real information for me. She never
called back with this information.

I called again about 3 days later and spoke to a rep named Daniel with a
very thick accent. He was helpful and did the same tests as above. He also
called back a few days later and could not tell me anything more than there
was no updated to the escalation.

It is approaching 45 days since I called in the first time. I still have an
aweful connection I have made available from speedtest.net. I pasted the
sheet into a google doc here:

»spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=···3c&hl=en

I have no option other than Comcast and unfortunately they are worse in
Tallahassee than century link with service (believe it) and want twice the
price.

I don't know what to do at this time. I truly believe the reps I call want
to help but something local is not happening, or not being followed through
on. 45 days and still below 1mb on average while paying for 10mb.

I have called again. I was immediately transferred to a teir 2 representative. He checked and confirmed that I was not connecting at the right speed. He said he would call to the center near my location and try to find out more information. While waiting we reset the modem and nothing improved. I explained that I was close to a box and that I should be seeing much better speeds. I asked what the boxes looked like and after he described them I explained that there was one laying down two houses away. He said he would dispatch someone out today at 7:00pm. He also said that if there was an issue with the phone lines I would be charged 50$ and 15$ an hour... I don't know why I would be charged? this makes no sense. I need to have a stable connection so I asked him to send someone today.

When I came home at 5:25pm the damaged box was set up and staked into the soil near the house down the street. I will update this after 7:00pm when the service technician is suppose to come.

I waited on hold until about 7:35pm It turns out I was mislead. the technician came at 4:00pm and he performed "maintenance" he ran a test from the house outside. Noted the speed on my account as 4mb and said it was "good".

This was on December 15th. I was on the call for 1 hour and 22 minutes.

I spoke with a representative named Troy he explained that 7:00 was only a "commitment time" and the tech could show up at any point. I am so glad I was told the day before that it was very important I be there at 7:00pm (sarcasm)

Troy explained that there was still a ticket open they would do some work and he would call me back on Monday afternoon.

Troy called me back on Monday December 20th at 2:40pm he said there was an issue with the card and that two separate people were debating what the correct coarse of action is. One team/group/entity wants to reset the card and the other believes that it needs to be replaced.

I went on vacation on December 21st. I came back in town December 28th. My speed is still crap. The issue remains unresolved.

Getting close to TWO MONTHS now without this being resolved. I am very angry.

I called on December 29th. I spoke to a representative who then transfered me to a supervisor call time: 1hour 20 minutes

The supervisor took notes on my issue and said he would have a supervisor call me back the next morning since he was going on vacation but they would have an eta for me then.

I received a call on December 30th in the am. It was someone who claimed to be a supervisor. They said they were replacing the card for my area and it would be complete on the 6th of January. I asked "Should I call back on the 7th if I am still having issues" He said yes to call back and laughed. I was not laughing.

I asked:
If they add more accounts and grow their business like every company would like, Will it take another two months to get my connection fixed next time?

He said they were adding further hardware in February that would prevent this from happening.

I have been tethering my 3g phone with a USB cable for the last week and it's faster/more stable.

I will update this again on the 1/7/2011

60 DAYS AND THE SAME ISSUE CONTINUES

UPDATE 1/7/2011

I called because the issue persists. The call time was over 1 hour. I spoke to a supervisor named Charlie. She attempted to talk to several "tech leads" and claimed she had 4 people researching the issue. After a lengthy hold I was told that she could not give me an ETA on when the issue would be resolved and that she was unsure why the previous supervisor told me the component would be replaced on the 6th.

I explained that the local employees must have some schedule and that no ETA was unacceptable after 67 days of calling and reporting a problem. I explained I didn't believe her that the issue will ever be fixed, that I feel like I am being ran around in circles by the supervisors that I speak with and that there is no excuse for her business to take this long and not be able to tell me anything at all.

She continued to explain there were several factors that contribute to the time it takes to make a repair, I interupted her and asked why then was I told a specific date of Januarary 6th? She said she does not know why I was misled.

I asked again for some kind of ETA even if it was general, next week, next month? when would this be resolved I have been waiting for over 2 MONTHS. she refused to disclose any more information to me. She then stated it was 6:45pm and that even if she could call Tallahassee nobody would pick up the phone. I asked her if it was her last day working for the company, and if not why could she not call tomorrow and return the information to me? She refused to call me back, so I asked if she had a supervisor.

I was transfered to the Supervisors manager Named Debbie. Debbie told me the same information as Charlie. At this point I told that I'm not as upset with the issue itself as I am with the run around I have been given and her companies inability to identify my problem or give me any assurance it would ever be repaired. I explained that:

"If I quit paying my bill I would be shut off, and then probably turned into collections for legal action, What happens when century link stops fulfilling their half of the agreement? I can't turn you off, or take action against you. If fact I have to Pay to get out of this contract, which I will be doing very soon"

I asked her if she could call down here, figure out why there is a serious problem with my connection, what the techs are doing about it and why it's taking over 67 days to get it resolved and call me back later.

I am waiting for her call and I am probably going to cancel now. Even if it costs me triple the bill per month. I don't care anymore, words cannot describe what I have been through with this company.

DAY 67..... and counting

I will update this on Monday 1/10/2011

UPDATE

IT'S FIXED!

Here is what I did:

I went to google and searched for about 2 hours for any email address associated with century link and my state or region.

I sent the entire collection of emails I was able to data mine from the web an email that started like this:
=======================
mail message
=======================
To All Employees of Century Link:

I am copying every email I can find on the internet at this point as one last attempt to remain a customer of your business. I have tried every means of support for 67 days and none have worked.

To summarize of what has happened to me:

In the beginning of November our speed became drastically unstable. I have been calling support on a regular basis for over 60 days now and nothing has been done to fix my situation. Your business has a serious problem with customer service. It appears that there is a giant hole between the phone reps/managers and the people who work in area. I suggest you try and use my details to enhance the experience a customer may go through when attempting to get what they are paying for.

I have a deep respect for your business and employees, I was a happy customer for several years which is why it has been heartbreaking to go through this experience which has been so awful that I cannot even describe it and remain polite.
===============
end introduction
===============
And then I pasted the whole story I have been writing here.

I had about 6 bounce backs and then the replies began. Within 2 hours I received a call from the supervisor here in town who informed me with the real situation details as well as a justified ETA on when my area would be fixed.

His supervisor, the Director of Operations called me also and explained he was hoping to have had the maintenence done at 6am that day but ran into some difficulties. He also fully supported all his claims and I was felt completely re-assured that the issue would be fixed.

The next day I was hitting 10+mb all day and night.

So here is my advice:

Use the 1800 number, call the reps/supervisors and work the system that they have in place. If you run into a wall like I did, make sure your getting a credit for your downtime and then google all the pdf's and documents you can find for your region of the country. make a big email and document every day you work with this leviathan business.

Their first problem is that they are too big and nationalized to offer local support to customers. Their second problem is that there is a GIANT WALL between their phone reps and service technicians who are constantly playing the "telephone" game on terminology and times.

If you read this epic tale be advised I still recommend any competitor that is not comcast over this business. IF you have no option like me, learn from my story here and good luck.

Comments:

Review by Wyrick See Profile

• Location: Athens,Henderson,TX
Good "Better than satellite."
Bad "Reliability issues and outrageous fees"
Overall "If you have an alternative option, go with that."

Right from the beginning connection issues were apparent, at first it was only during rainfall. Now it happens regularly during peak hours, slow speeds and connection loss. On top of this before ordering service I was given a quote of $60 a month for phone and internet service. My bill hovers around $90 a month after fees and taxes. Also when I ordered service I was given the option to purchase the modem and spread the payments out over the course of a few months, yet a year later I'm still being charged a modem rental fee.

All of this has made for the worst "high-speed" internet experience I have ever had the misfortune of subscribing to and as soon as I'm able I'll be dropping service and going with the local cable co.

My advice is to stay far away from CenturyLink if you have any other options. Your wallet and sanity will thank you.

Comments:

Review by cstone8 See Profile

• Location: Lehigh Acres,Lee,FL
Good "higher speed tier"
Bad "Stinks for gaming, no one can help me"
Overall "I might just downgrade, no need to pay more money for poor gameplay"

I had Centurylink at my previous address, not to far from where I live now. The difference being that the connection there seemed better (much better ping). I was further from the box there than I am now. I upgraded speeds to help with Xbox gaming and to my surprise, it became worse. The installation was a nightmare, the whole experience was so uncoordinated. It took 3 days of techs in my area just to get the speeds right. I was actually very happy with centurylink where I used to live, but the constant disconnects and varying pings are just ridiculous. Unfortunately this is my only option for internet. I just wish someone knew what to look for to help me out. All i keep getting is visits from techs to my home. The problem is actually on the network.

Comments:

Review by Scooter99 See Profile

• Location: Williston,Levy,FL
Good "none"
Bad "connection"

I originally had a horrible experience getting my 5 meg service up and
running even having to contact Better Business Bureau after 3 months of
issues. It has worked fine for the last several months (8 or so). I
recently noticed that the speed was slow. I contacted support on the 22nd.
The tech admitted a connection issue since the 16th. I then received an
email that said there was an update as of the 22nd (same day I called
coincidental) but no resolution date. It is now the 27th and still horrible
service and no update!!!

Horrible company to deal with!!!

W. Middleton

Comments:

Review by summer4 See Profile

• Location: Wentzville,Saint Charles,MO
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Great during the day when it works"
Bad "Download speed at night - don't count on it"
Overall "Poor response from Century Tel"

Same problem I'm reading about all over this forum. Download speed during the day is fine which is good because I work from home and depend on it. but after 6:00 PM it drops off the chart. That also tells me that its not my systems that are causing a problem. I'm paying for 1.5 and do see that during the day MOST of the time but I'm lucky to get .5 after 6:00pm. Last night it dropped all the way down to .2 . Came back to just over 1.0 after 11:00 pm but too late for me to watch the program I planned to watch or work on the project I had planned to finish. Numerous calls to tech support over a 2 month period without resolution. No call backs, no concern. Over the years I've had everything from a T1 line to satelite and everything in between... Century Link has proven to be the least dependable and certainly the least responsive to customer inquiry/problems. The tech people I've worked with on the phone all use the same same "how to" card and don't listen. Each time I call its like Ground Hog Day.... do it all over again.

10/21/2010 9:00 pm Once again.. after running all day at over 1+ speed test now says I'm down to .5 Can't watch a thing without it breaking up.

Comments:

Review by mdg7 See Profile

• Location: Bridgeport,Wise,TX
Good "Embarq"
Bad "The Latency Monster that ate North Texas"
Overall "Don't use CenturyLink in N. Texas if you game, download movies or need it for online education"

When we fist started with Embarq, we had a few outages here and there, but they were usually fixed in a day or two. Latency normally ran around 40-50ms and we got 2.4-2.6mbps of our 3.0mbps. About a month after CenturyLink took over I noticed a rise in latency to around 60-80ms, but evening latency would double. Now early hours latency is averaging 80-120ms. But the killer has become the 4:00pm to 11:00pm time period. Latency during these peak hours shoots to 500-800 ms!!

I have made several calls to their tech support and was told that they know there is a problem but can not give any answer to what exactly the issue is, nor when or if it will ever get fixed. I had two of the techs state that they felt the lines had been oversold. If this is the case, then maybe some complaints to the FCC should be made.

CenturyLink's horrible peak hour performance has destroyed my online gaming and Netflix movies have become unwatchable because of the pause every 1-2 min.

I noticed that CentruyLink is trying to merge with Qwest and I'm now wondering if I should start looking for another ISP and drop CenturyLink?

Comments:

Review by mzr5 See Profile

• Location: Chico,Wise,TX
Good "Nothing at this point. Wait, maybe its only marginally better than dialup?"
Bad "Connection restarts, 1000ms pings, nowhere near the speed paid for."
Overall "CenturyLink is a sinking ship."

I have had ADSL in this area for seven years. First Sprint, them Embarq, now CenturyLink. Ever since CenturyLink took over, the service is abysmal. I could count the previous service outages over the last six years on one hand. CenturyLink has outages or severe slowdowns at least once a month, and they usually last a week.

Support is useless, and gives the same excuses everytime.

There are no other better choices out here, the cable company is as bad.

Comments:

Review by Waldo10 See Profile

• Location: Winterville,Pitt,NC
Good "Installation was easy."
Bad "Inconsistant speeds at all times of the day, run around with customer service and tech support."
Overall "If there are other ISPs available try them first."

My family and I live on the outskirts of town and we only have a few options available to us for internet services. We've tried satellite internet (Wild Blue), which was a joke, mobile broadband set up in a wireless router (Sprint Sierra Wireless Card and Cradlepoint MBR-1000 router), and CenturyLink's DSL. The mobile broadband has been the most successful form of internet to date and it doesn't even reach 512 kbps. Because of our location we can't receive internet from many places and CenturyLink was one of the few that seemed to have a better offer even if the speed wasn't quite as much as was wanted. We received a phone call stating that CenturyLink had made upgrades and that there was a 30 Day Trial available to us if we wanted to give it another try (we signed up earlier this year with no better luck). We signed up (with a package deal because we can't have JUST internet), received the 660HW modem/wireless router, and things started out okay, but we noticed that the speed wasn't any better than the mobile broadband card we had previously, so we called customer service. We found out that we had been signed up for the lowest speed offered, 256 kbps, and we were told that if we wanted to we could up our speed to 3 Mbps and we jumped at the chance. After all was said and done we noticed that our speed was a little faster but not by much. Again, we called customer service who transferred us to tech support and found out from them that our area did not support 3 Mbps and the highest available to us was 512 kbps. So, we moved to 512 kbps, and things were okay for a while, unfortunately things went downhill very quickly. We started to notice that the internet was starting to lag really bad and we ran several speed tests from speedtest.net. During off peak hours the slowest download speed I saw was 10 kbps and it eventually got up to 150 kbps. However, we were told, from tech support, that our speed should not drop below 20% of our highest speed. So, our speed should never have dropped below 410 kbps and here we were at 11pm, 2am. or 5:30am trying to get online and can't because the internet is so slow we lose any patience we have left, and give up. We were once again on the phone with tech support and we were then told that there was an outage nearby that was affecting us and they weren't sure when it would be fixed; it's been out since August and it's now October. We were also told by the same technician that the ports or portals, I can't remember which, for our area were oversold, so there were too many people using to few a number of ports available. Unfortunately, our 30 day trial was up and we were in our contract, so we took the chance of canceling our contract since we were told by a sales representative at our local CenturyLink Store that we were still in our trial period. According to customer service, the trial period was over and we'd have to pay $99 to cancel the contract. We told them we wouldn't pay the fee because they weren't providing the service they had promised and we were transferred to someone else who proceeded to tell us that we'd have to pay $200 to cancel the contract. Needless to say, we asked to speak with a supervisor and they finally waived the fee and we are now free from crappy service.

It was because of all of this crap that we had been put through in such a short amount of time that made us drop CenturyLink's internet service. They need to repair and upgrade their equipment properly, in a timely manner, and tell their sales people to stop selling what they don't have.

Comments:

Review by bmunsell See Profile

• Location: Gulf Shores,Baldwin,AL
Good "none"
Bad "Service, Support, Connectivity, Communication, Reliability"
Overall "No Other Viable Options"

As with all other reviews of this terrible company, I am in the same boat. No other really viable options in my small town. Mediacom is available, used them for about 6 months but they are even worse than Centurytel. I am a web designer and run my own server out of a data center in Colorado. I constantly lose connection to my server, spend 2 hours on hold, ask for tier 2 support, threaten bodily harm, get manager, manager finds outage listing, tells me the whole city is down, process takes about 2 hours on average. Tonight I tried to bypass that by using online chat and was disconnected by their service rep John M. since that didnt work I had to once again go through the two hour support model. Never thought I would wish for the efficiency of indian phone support outsourcing....

Comments:

Review by langleypaul See Profile

• Location: Franklin,Johnson,IN
Good "None"
Bad "Expensive, inconsistent speeds ind lately, service interuptions"
Overall "Need to find another isp solution"

Service passed from Sprint to Embarq and now CenturyLink over a period of time. Reliability and support under Sprint and Embarq was reasonable. Since Century Link ( Oct or Nov 2009), we have experienced too many service interruptions and a noticeable performance downgrade. Hold time to speak with customer support is too long.