Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by mdg7 See Profile

• Location: Bridgeport,Wise,TX
Good "Embarq"
Bad "The Latency Monster that ate North Texas"
Overall "Don't use CenturyLink in N. Texas if you game, download movies or need it for online education"

When we fist started with Embarq, we had a few outages here and there, but they were usually fixed in a day or two. Latency normally ran around 40-50ms and we got 2.4-2.6mbps of our 3.0mbps. About a month after CenturyLink took over I noticed a rise in latency to around 60-80ms, but evening latency would double. Now early hours latency is averaging 80-120ms. But the killer has become the 4:00pm to 11:00pm time period. Latency during these peak hours shoots to 500-800 ms!!

I have made several calls to their tech support and was told that they know there is a problem but can not give any answer to what exactly the issue is, nor when or if it will ever get fixed. I had two of the techs state that they felt the lines had been oversold. If this is the case, then maybe some complaints to the FCC should be made.

CenturyLink's horrible peak hour performance has destroyed my online gaming and Netflix movies have become unwatchable because of the pause every 1-2 min.

I noticed that CentruyLink is trying to merge with Qwest and I'm now wondering if I should start looking for another ISP and drop CenturyLink?

Comments:

Review by mzr5 See Profile

• Location: Chico,Wise,TX
Good "Nothing at this point. Wait, maybe its only marginally better than dialup?"
Bad "Connection restarts, 1000ms pings, nowhere near the speed paid for."
Overall "CenturyLink is a sinking ship."

I have had ADSL in this area for seven years. First Sprint, them Embarq, now CenturyLink. Ever since CenturyLink took over, the service is abysmal. I could count the previous service outages over the last six years on one hand. CenturyLink has outages or severe slowdowns at least once a month, and they usually last a week.

Support is useless, and gives the same excuses everytime.

There are no other better choices out here, the cable company is as bad.

Comments:

Review by Waldo10 See Profile

• Location: Winterville,Pitt,NC
Good "Installation was easy."
Bad "Inconsistant speeds at all times of the day, run around with customer service and tech support."
Overall "If there are other ISPs available try them first."

My family and I live on the outskirts of town and we only have a few options available to us for internet services. We've tried satellite internet (Wild Blue), which was a joke, mobile broadband set up in a wireless router (Sprint Sierra Wireless Card and Cradlepoint MBR-1000 router), and CenturyLink's DSL. The mobile broadband has been the most successful form of internet to date and it doesn't even reach 512 kbps. Because of our location we can't receive internet from many places and CenturyLink was one of the few that seemed to have a better offer even if the speed wasn't quite as much as was wanted. We received a phone call stating that CenturyLink had made upgrades and that there was a 30 Day Trial available to us if we wanted to give it another try (we signed up earlier this year with no better luck). We signed up (with a package deal because we can't have JUST internet), received the 660HW modem/wireless router, and things started out okay, but we noticed that the speed wasn't any better than the mobile broadband card we had previously, so we called customer service. We found out that we had been signed up for the lowest speed offered, 256 kbps, and we were told that if we wanted to we could up our speed to 3 Mbps and we jumped at the chance. After all was said and done we noticed that our speed was a little faster but not by much. Again, we called customer service who transferred us to tech support and found out from them that our area did not support 3 Mbps and the highest available to us was 512 kbps. So, we moved to 512 kbps, and things were okay for a while, unfortunately things went downhill very quickly. We started to notice that the internet was starting to lag really bad and we ran several speed tests from speedtest.net. During off peak hours the slowest download speed I saw was 10 kbps and it eventually got up to 150 kbps. However, we were told, from tech support, that our speed should not drop below 20% of our highest speed. So, our speed should never have dropped below 410 kbps and here we were at 11pm, 2am. or 5:30am trying to get online and can't because the internet is so slow we lose any patience we have left, and give up. We were once again on the phone with tech support and we were then told that there was an outage nearby that was affecting us and they weren't sure when it would be fixed; it's been out since August and it's now October. We were also told by the same technician that the ports or portals, I can't remember which, for our area were oversold, so there were too many people using to few a number of ports available. Unfortunately, our 30 day trial was up and we were in our contract, so we took the chance of canceling our contract since we were told by a sales representative at our local CenturyLink Store that we were still in our trial period. According to customer service, the trial period was over and we'd have to pay $99 to cancel the contract. We told them we wouldn't pay the fee because they weren't providing the service they had promised and we were transferred to someone else who proceeded to tell us that we'd have to pay $200 to cancel the contract. Needless to say, we asked to speak with a supervisor and they finally waived the fee and we are now free from crappy service.

It was because of all of this crap that we had been put through in such a short amount of time that made us drop CenturyLink's internet service. They need to repair and upgrade their equipment properly, in a timely manner, and tell their sales people to stop selling what they don't have.

Comments:

Review by bmunsell See Profile

• Location: Gulf Shores,Baldwin,AL
Good "none"
Bad "Service, Support, Connectivity, Communication, Reliability"
Overall "No Other Viable Options"

As with all other reviews of this terrible company, I am in the same boat. No other really viable options in my small town. Mediacom is available, used them for about 6 months but they are even worse than Centurytel. I am a web designer and run my own server out of a data center in Colorado. I constantly lose connection to my server, spend 2 hours on hold, ask for tier 2 support, threaten bodily harm, get manager, manager finds outage listing, tells me the whole city is down, process takes about 2 hours on average. Tonight I tried to bypass that by using online chat and was disconnected by their service rep John M. since that didnt work I had to once again go through the two hour support model. Never thought I would wish for the efficiency of indian phone support outsourcing....

Comments:

Review by langleypaul See Profile

• Location: Franklin,Johnson,IN
Good "None"
Bad "Expensive, inconsistent speeds ind lately, service interuptions"
Overall "Need to find another isp solution"

Service passed from Sprint to Embarq and now CenturyLink over a period of time. Reliability and support under Sprint and Embarq was reasonable. Since Century Link ( Oct or Nov 2009), we have experienced too many service interruptions and a noticeable performance downgrade. Hold time to speak with customer support is too long.

Comments:

Review by drbonney See Profile

• Location: Saint Peters,Saint Charles,MO
Good "None."
Bad "Customer Service is terrible."
Overall "Will change to Charter if they don't fix it."

Update 9/10/10:

This summer my DSL got worse and worse. Over the last month it has been virtually unusable after 3:30 in the afternoon. I have called the Help Desk over and over. They make out a repair ticket each time but the problem has never been fixed. The tickets are closed out after a couple days with no improvement in my service. I am giving them until next Friday to fix this, if they can't or don't I am quitting CenturyLink and going with Charter.

Old Review:

I upgraded from 3mbps to 10mbps. I was told my Netopia Cayman 3300 modem would be ok for the upgrade. My download speed maxed at 6.8mbps. I did some research on my own and found that my modem max was 8mbps. I contacted tech support and they agreed I needed an ADSL2 modem. Customer Service didn't believe it until they talked to Tech Support who confirmed I needed a different modem. They sent me a Westell WireSpeed Dual Connect NAT Router (Model E90-610014-06). The installation was relatively painless and now my speed is 10.5mbps/750kbps. I test my speed with Speakeasy, the Centurytel Speed Test doesn't work right. The 10mbps service is supposed to be the same price as my 3mbps was (package price $40 mo), can't complain about that!

Comments:

Review by jdbob See Profile

• Location: John Day,Grant,OR
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Download Better than Tachyon Satellite"
Bad "Dynamic IP"
Overall "Not a lot of choices out in the boonies"

Looked at Verizon mobile data but I'm not comfortable with Cell phone companies policy of just letting people run up absurd overages rather than just contacting the customer when they get close to their monthly limit.

CenturyTel just started offering their "Extended Internet" (which translates into we are too cheap to install a cabinet) recently to this area, at least officially. A couple of neighbors have contacts with local CT employees, so they were able to get it 6 months or more ago.

I called them on a Tuesday and received the modem friday morning by UPS. The lineman showed up in the afternoon but wasn't optimistic at that point about getting the signal here. He called later in the afternoon to inform me that I now had a connection, although there was a lot of noise on the line.

After about a week they got things fairly stable, now seems to stay synced at 352 down and 256 up instead of jumped all over the place. They charge me for 1.5Mb service in any case. Some test results at »/testh ··· 51/adcfa

Update 19 Sept 2009: DSL and dial-tone dead since 18 Sept 2009 4PM. Neighbor had his go down the day before. Lineman told him the wiring is falling apart up here in the hills.

Update 21 Sept 2009: DSL back around 10AM, so that's about a 66 hour outage, not impressed.

Update 9 Oct. 2009: Ever since the outage the modem has been reporting a upload sync of 128 but only a margin of 1db. As a result actual upload speeds are in the range of 10kbs to 20kbs. Contacted Centurytel, both via phone in Louisiana and in person locally. In both cases they don't care.

Update 6 June 2010: PPPoE down from JUN 05 20:23:55 to JUN 06 10:56:52

Update 8 Sept. 2010: They added a cable to shorten the total cable length between my neighborhood and C.O. by bypassing a detour up the hill. Noise margin has improved, good enough for a higher connection speed but they are still limiting it to 256K/128K.

Comments:

Review by tencz51 See Profile

• Location: Ocala,Marion,FL
Good "they call it Broadband"
Bad "Rude Tech Support"
Overall "Thieves"

was "Grandfathered" in from the Embarq take over . Be frank , Damn do i miss Embarq ..My 10mg package ran and acted like a broadband 10mg should . Could game and listen to youtube with no problem . Could do anything with "No Problem".

Now with these jokers the world of DSL Broadband has turned into a joke . They "DO NOT CARE." all tech support , holding for 25 minutes they answer talk for 5 minutes HANG UP !!! They are the pits .... My connection goes "Dead" what 15/20 times a day for 1 to 3 minutes ..Their tech support is sooo lame that their consoles should be burned . They sure can't read them .. Do i run 10mg ??? I did with Embarq with a ping of 23/24 ....could game ..not now .CL 10mg means 600/800 kps daily on down and a 750 on up . Ping gets really bad too from their garbage "Backbone." I think the Government should shut these thieves down ...I have no other choice unless i go to a Verizon hotspot and thats a 5mg cap monthly .....

My wife and i are now both handicapped . I'm 100% DAV and mu wife has MS going on 11 years . Facebook and networking is how she "Did" pass her day . Mine was "Mod" for a couple of Vet sites ...NO MORE ... Thanks for nothing Century Link

member for 14.7 years, 1456 visits, last login: 3.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by OlChiefMac See Profile

• Location: Winona,Shannon,MO
Good "Reasonable price."
Bad "Tech support rarely solves a problem, refers you to paid support."
Overall "If there was any other DSL available I would switch."

I live in a rural area and the only alternatives are dial up or satelite. I have used Centurytel for several years and was very satisfied until they merged with another company and became CenturyLink. Centurytel always provided excellent tech support and customer service. CenturyLink has changed their tech support to two levels. The first level is very, very basic, eg., unplug the modem, wait 30 seconds and plug it back in. If that does not resolve the problem they refer you to level two tech support and they advise they will help resolve the problem for a fee of $15 a month, with a minium contract of 12 months. Another problem I have had was that the modem quit (may have been caused by lighting?). They charged a $22 fee for overnight shipping but I got the modem three days later from UPS ground. They also started charging a $3.50 a month lease fee for the new modem. When this problem occurred my upload speed which is susposed to be 250 dropped to 20-53, tech support says it's probably my computer and they can only help if I sign up for the $15 a month support.

member for 12.5 years, 120 visits, last login: 4.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by LRMike See Profile

• Location: Midway,Baxter,AR
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Provision was fast for DSL"
Bad "Way too expensive & virtually no features besides e-mail included"
Overall "Expensive and very poor value but the only fast connection in town"

I got the 10 Mbps package and it seems fast but that's really all you get. The customizable home page has less features than a free page at Yahoo! and includes lots of links for add-ons from CenturyLink that all will add fees to your monthly bill. That page and pop e-mail are the only included features that don't cost extra. They even charge $3.95 a month for the modem and actually charged to send it to me. This company will nickel and dime you ruthlessly while charging you more than any other company I've ever dealt with for the same speed of service with far fewer included features than any other company I've ever even heard of. Want the security suite with your service? Sure they have it, but it's not Norton or McAfee and it costs you extra. Want to listen to music from your home page? Sure, just agree to pay the extra fees. I can't list it all here without seeming quite bitter. Just follow virtually any link on your new free customizable home page and you will find something available from CenturyLink for some extra fee added to your account. I never thought I would consider AT&T a bargain but that was before I moved here. As for the actual service, it seems fast and reliable so far, (about two weeks), but only occasionally tests over 7 Mbps even on the wired connection, but has tested very close to 10 Mbps a few times. I've had one customer service experience with their online chat function and they were slow to come on but understood my issue and provided a resolution promptly when they did finally come on. The issue resulted from the install & setup process for the pop email service. There is an http link provided in the software on the setup CD but mine didn't work, and I couldn't find the page online to set up the e-mail. It's reliable broadband, and it's usually fast, but I will switch to the first provider that offers fast service in this area even if they are only $5 less. CenturyLink is taking advantage of customers who have no choice in this area but as usually happens to such companies, someone will come along and take over their markets with reasonably priced reliable service primarily because people will enjoy watching CenturyLink sink after all the time they have sucked us dry when we had no options. Oh, and by the way, when I said AT&T I was referring to the new AT&T, I think we all remember what happened to the original...

member for 12.1 years, 261 visits, last login: 4.5 years ago