CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by Sadparklark See Profile

• Location: Saint Paul,Ramsey,MN
Good "It's internet - if you can even call it that."
Bad "Congestion, lack of commitment, doesn't bother to fix ANYTHING, speeds are horrible, customer service is slow and careless."
Overall "The provider is nothing compared to what qwest was."

When I signed up for this provider, I was pretty excited. They said they had low prices, and very fast Internet speeds.
Low prices wasn't entirely true.
Fast Internet was an absolute lie. The most you can pull off speed wise with a 20 Mbps Internet is .45 down, and .88 up.
It's been going for 1 month. I'm not excited for the rest of the time I'm FORCED to stick with this Internet.

Comments:

Review by Amy L See Profile

• Location: Herriman,Salt Lake,UT
Bad "They don't deliver what they promise"
Overall "I have been lied to and it is still not right"

It has been six months since I signed up for a bundle with Direct TV and Century Link. The bundle is still not in place and I am paying ridiculous charges for poorer service than I had before. I was hoping that their new name would also mean they had improved their service since their Qwest days. Alas, I duped.

Comments:

Review by bladygo See Profile

• Location: Ocala,Marion,FL
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Friendly people"
Bad "Questioned service rep 3 times whether I could get 10meg in my neighborhood; Three times he said yes- I get 1.5 at best."
Overall "Company has no interest or plans to upgrade in my area"

Questioned service rep 3 times whether I could get 10meg in my neighborhood; Three times he said yes- I get 1.5 at best. Would have went with local cable TV providor. They were providing 4-5 meg down for the same price but had a monthly cap. Century Tel had no plans that I have heard in my neighborhood to upgrade. I would not recommend that you use them in my neighborhood. At night 1.5 service slows to less than half of purchased speed. Obviously, we need to rebuild the system in my area. I came from Ohio where I had Windstream and was getting 12 meg down for the same price as I pay here for 1.5. For the record I own stock in Century Tel.

Comments:

Review by mmarkie See Profile

• Location: Pittsboro,Chatham,NC
Good "Speeds and service have improved over time"
Bad "Sometimes I am the first to let them know there is a problem"
Overall "I have limited (worse) alternatives - and in the past couple years it's been OK"

I was one of the first Embarq DSL clients in the area (set up was dismal), since the acquisition by CenturyLink both the support and the Service itself have improved but hardly what I would consider to be a fair affordable price. Given the rural nature of my location I have limited alternatives... so while I am not excited about what I pay for the bundle phone and ISP service - I don't have much choice.

Comments:
BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

?

Why pay that much? Give them a call and see what they can do for you even if it means that you have to commit to their services for a year.I did and got $45/month off the bill

To add: I live way out in the boondocks with NO competition but still was able to save $

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State

You are right

When you live rural (I do too) there is no competition and there is no choice. You take the best of the worst and hope it isn't as bad as the 'other' guy.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside
CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

MMarkie

Hey MMarkie - thank you for your comments and I am sorry that you are frustrated. If you will send our corporate team your account & contact information with some details as to your concerns, we can assist you.

»bit.ly/TALKTOUS or TalkToUs@Centurylink.com

Thanks,
Rich
Centurylink Help Team

• Location: Denver,Denver,CO
Good "Hmmm"
Bad "Customer service, reading your bill"
Overall "Worst choice ever"

Worse service I have ever dealt with. They make it impossible to pay my bill. I have tried to call to talk to a service representative multiple times without success. You may think Comcast is bad, but they look like gold compared to century link! I would never ever use this service again!!!

Sent from my iPhone

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

Not Impossible at all.

How can it be impossible to pay the bill? You can send them a check or just us a credit card, what's so hard about that? If you really want to talk to them stop by one of their kiosks in the mall.

Review by SouthernMan See Profile

• Location: Groveland,Lake,FL
Good "It's not dialup"
Bad "Actually calling this service highspeed internet"
Overall "They have a monopoly, so there is nowhere to go."

CenturyLink internet services are an absolute horror. I can not in good faith recommend their services to anyone who has access to a comparative alternative (e.g. Brighthouse, Comcast, Verizon, AT&T, Charter, etc). I have found it absolutely impossible to obtain download speeds anywhere near the maximum range. I am currently paying for the 1.5 Mbps and only can consistently download at about 0.2-0.3 Mbps. If you have a true need for any type of high speed internet choose another alternative, you will be happy that you did.

Comments:
BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

So

What have you tried to come to this conclusion? Have you ever talked to them?

• Location: Sneads Ferry,Onslow,NC
Good "Mostly Reliable"
Bad "Lied to on sales promotion"
Overall "Took advantage of community being only show in town, very slow!"

CenturyLink internet customer for 3 months now and it has been terrible. I
moved to a low population density area in North Carolina, and
CenturyLink was the only option available. They offered a 1 year
teaser rate with a $50 gift card and told me I could use a modem
bought personally. My modem did not work (even though I followed all
of their requirements) and was forced to rent theirs. The $50 gift
card never came after paying the first bill as promised. As advertised
the speed is slow, slower than the global average speed - 1.5 Mb/sec.
Time Warner put in optical lines one month ago and just offered me a
two year deal for virtually the same price with more than 10X the
speed, no installation fee. Even though I will have to eat a large
cancellation fee, bye bye CenturyLink!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by atom13

• Location: Corpus Christi,Nueces,TX
Good "Lines were connected."
Bad "Caller ID does not work. Also not able to do Unified messaging."
Overall "Does not stand behind their word AND wants to charge you full amt. of breaking contract early!"

Century Link does not stand behind their return policy or the promises of the sales people and sales managers of.

(review was emailed from domain msn.com)

Comments:

Sher

@centurytel.net

Poor service

CenturyLink's Cable service is TERRIBLE! Channels that go blank for hours at a time and for the last 2 days all channels freeze every 30 seconds to a minute completely screwing up any ongoing dialogue in the program you're watching! How they can justify their charges for this service is beyond me, No wonder they require a contract. Everyone would give up their service if they weren;t locked in!

• Location: Fuquay Varina,Wake,NC
Bad "no internet service"

I live in a rural area outside Fuquay Varina where I have been trying
to get internet service for over seven years. I have been told by
several Centrylink representatives that it will be available soon but
still no service yet.

There is service at both ends of my road in fact it comes within one quarter
mile of my house and most of my neighbors have requested service also
with no results.

I guess Centrylink does not need our business.

Travis Skipper

(review was emailed from domain gregpoole.com)

Comments:

Review by zdevex See Profile

• Location: Albuquerque,Bernalillo,NM
Good "Low cost"
Bad "Didn't actually hook up internet, refused to correct all bill issues, techs lied or didn't know what they were talking about"
Overall "They don't care about their customers"

I switched to centurylink because they were cheaper than my old ISP. Everything seemed really good, a good rate for the same speed, but that would not last.

I purchased my own modem in order to save some money every month, and when I hooked it up to my phone outlets I was unable to get any DSL signal from centurylink.

Puzzled I called centurylink for assistance, they told me that they thought that my modem was bad, or perhaps my wall outlets, and the tech said that she "verified" for certain that everything on the centruylink side was functional, so they would not need to send out a tech in person. I was impressed they could verify their stuff was properly connected remotely, but I took their word for it. They even told me that if they did send someone out and he had to come into my house that it was going to cost me a minimum of $80, so I tried to figure out what was wrong on my own.

I went about testing my modem at a friends house on his centurylink connection, it was fine. I then had someone come and look at the wall outlets, they were also fine. Both of these events took me about 2 weeks to take care of, I work and am at school 8-5 everyday so it was vary hard to find time to go over to my friends house, and check stuff out. Additionally it took some time to get my wall outlets checked. In the mean time, my wife and I were forced to go to coffee shops and places that had free wifi to work on our work and school work, which ended up costing us considerable time and money(you have to buy something when you go to a coffee shop or they kick you out).

Everything on my end seemed fine, so I called them again, and they finally sent out a tech to take a look at stuff. As soon as he got here, he checked the centurylink box outside the building. It turned out that centurylink had never bothered to hook anything up, at all. Worse, they had told me that they were sure everything was hooked up properly! After he hooked up the connection, I had internet within seconds.

It was about this time that I received a bill for my first month of centurylink. I called them to tell them they needed to adjust this bill in light of the fact that they were billing me for nothing, they had done nothing at all. It turns out that their billing department is closed on the weekends, which is hard for me because I work during their business hours, so I would have to take off work to talk with them, but I certainly wasn't going to pay a bill for services they had not rendered.

It took me about a week to get time out of work to call them. When I did I explained the situation to them, and they said they were sorry and that they would wave the activation fee ($19.99) in order to make things right. This wasn't unreasonable, but it wasn't very good either considering I had to spend a ton of my own time trying to fix a connection that their techs had reassured me was not broken on their end. I also had to spend a lot of time and money going to coffee shops and the like to get internet while I tried to fix something that was not my problem.

It turns out since I waited to talk to them about the erroneous bill, that I was going to be charged a late fee. I asked the rep about that, asking if it could be waved because I had a erroneous bill and didn't even have service until 9 days ago, because they didn't do anything to set it up. They refused to wave the late fee, he said I should have paid the bill even though I hadn't received service. Are you kidding me...?

Additionally I had a promotional rate for 6 months of service. I asked if the promotional rate could be extended, since I basically didn't have service for the first month, but he said that was "able" to do that, but he was not going to.

So after a long discussion, I took the $19.99 credit, since I was off work taking care of this and could not afford to spend any more time dealing with this issue.

All in all I spent a ton of time and money trying to fix their issue, I lost way too much time and money, off work dealing with this, paying bill late fees, loosing a month of promotional pricing, going to coffee shops to get internet, for $20 off the bill to make it worth it. This would have already been taken care of if they had just sent out a tech to deal with the issue immediately, but they told me that would probably cost me $80, since they were sure it was my equipment that was broken. It was horrible and very hard to not have internet for that long, and be told that it was my fault.

-D

member for 2 years, 1 visits, last login: 2 years ago

join:2012-06-11

How much does it cost for incompetent service?

Ha...they sent you a bill for "no service" at all?

Outrageous!

The fact that they didn't even connect the service initially would have me giving them a piece of my mind....

Call them back and demand an additional refund for all your trouble, essentially YOU did THEIR job for them.

Tell them politely that if they do not wish to compensate you for all the trouble and inconvenience you will be contacting your public utility commission, the NM Attorney General, and the BBB. I can promise you they will send you a check.
CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink Service

Zdevex,

I apologize for the frustration this has caused you. Our team would like to review the account & address the issues. Please send account info via the link »t.co/lm5JYoPO or email talktous@centurylink.com

Regards,

join:2002-12-03
United State
·TracFone Wireless

You are not alone

They did the very same thing to me when I was moving between two states. Not only did the tech NOT show up as agreed on the day I was in town to close the house, they did not even have a copper pair that came to my house -- but it always the customers fault when their equipment fails. Verizon and AT&T isn't any better about it -- at least where I live.

The other half of the story is the internet was crappy for nearly a year before the tech came out and replaced the faulty copper to the house, and had to do a lot of work in the CO to keep it running. Now the landline and internet is FIOS and digital and it is a mess. It is difficult to anticipate what these people will do next to use the worst equipment while charging the highest prices.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside