CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by dbamber See Profile

• Location: Payson,Gila,AZ
Bad "Run don't walk away from these people!"
Overall "Final BILL, NOT FINAL!!!!!!"

I gave up waiting for a DSL speed increase after 4+ years. I have called a few times a year asking about speed upgrades, and was repeatably told that I would be very happy in a little while. When I commented on a review on the Centurylink forum I got an e-mail response from Talktous@centurylink.com asking for my account details. I responded to them, and within a couple of days they got back to me. Their response was that there were no upgrades planned for my service. I then canceled my account that had DTV, Verizon wireless service, unlimited long distance, local calling, and "High Speed" DSL service. All 1.5 MB download. I received an e-mail notifying me that my service was cancelled, and to wait for a FINAL BILL. I received my FINAL BILL that was $347.14, and paid it on the due date. I have since received an ADDITIONAL Final bill asking for another $18.29. Apparently Centurylink is unable to calculate a final bill, and needs to send a SECOND FINAL BILL. What part of a FINAL BILL being FINAL don't they understand? I paid these clowns about $5,000 a year total, and they then have the chutzpah to send me a second final bill! I am sorely disappointed in this outfit that can't even figure out that FINAL means FINAL!!!!!! Not a here's your second final bill!

member for 11.1 years, 2042 visits, last login: 4 days ago

Comments:

Will Harris

@cox.net

UPS Items Back

I decided not to go with Century Link so I UPS the equipment back to them. I have paid them over $300 and they have the nerves to say they don't have the items and are trying to bill me even more money. Please be aware!!!

William Harris
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Who did you go with

Who did you go with for internet??
bluevista789

join:2014-03-25
Brighton, CO

Bad experience with Qwest.

I ordered Qwest DSL(now Centurylink) service years ago over the phone, I told him I had my own modem which I bought on Ebay, the rep said that's fine. The tech showed up the following week and set up my modem and installed some equipment. It went pretty smooth. But when I got the bill in a month they charged me modem rental fee. I said I used my own modem. The rep insisted that the modem was theirs because the tech told them he gave the modem to me. I even gave the rep the modem's model, she still said that's theirs. I told her the tech didn't even bring in a modem! Fortunately the guy who helped me registered my service remembered what I told him that day that I would use my own modem, otherwise I could be charged rental fee for 2 years!
And also that Qwest technician is not honest, he is a thief.

Review by jclarke99 See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
  • Telco party CenturyTel

Well - there pretty good as the far as sales are concerned - I think there pricing is probably in-line with prevailing costs. They have problems with internet connectivity - in our area their DSL offering is some where between mediocre to non functional. I've been fighting for reliable service for about 9 months - and trust me, it is a fight. On the positive side, Century Link us consistent.

Typical problem and troubleshooting:

DSL 8 Mbps Down, 1 Up

1. Latency exceeds 600 ms (to their gateway) and huge packet losses - often see a second - takes 5 times to sync my email. (I wonder where the data lives for that second?) Forget streaming anything.
2. Call - go through a couple of minutes of menu selections, enter your phone number, put on hold and then cut off..
--- Repeat 7 times ---
(Kinda makes you wonder when a telephone company cannot manage an automated attendant.)
3. Get a person - a pretty nice person. He puts in a trouble ticket - 48 hour response.
4. They send a guy out when I'm away - he checks the wire and finds it's connected.
5. At 44 Hours - the circuit works for 20 minutes and right back to 1/2 second latency. Automated systems calls be to say everything is fine and they close the ticket.
6. Call back - get a person who says they don't have a latency threshold, only download speed - using their tool. Says I need to send another person out to look at the wire - 6th or 7th trip in a year.
7. And the saga continues....

Repeat Steps 1 through 7 periodically.

Good News:
1. You learn the telephone number and prompts by heart - saves time when you call back after your call gets dropped (fast busy)
2. Get really good at running to the basement and direct connecting your PC to the DLS modem and resetting your IP to ensure the problem is not in your equipment.
3. You never have to be surprised - their automated systems will call you back within a few hours of 48 saying your problem is fixed and it will work for 20 minutes then crap out. Consistency

Obviously - they do not monitor circuit health - or their measures have nothing to do with what makes the internet work. Moreover, they really don't seem to care too much if their service has any value. I wonder if they care if I pay my bill??

member for 29 days, 8 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

linicx

Download

Assuming you are DSL over copper there can be a couple of issues. I live in rural Illinois and had the same problems on two different occasions in the same house. On the first, the speed was half as fast in 2007. The copper line had to be replaced before I could maintain a constant stable connection. I dropped for cable for a couple of years and came back in the end of 2011.

The second time I had a different set of connection problems that mimicked what you wrote. I did all the things you did for a year to no avail. Without going into a great detail my biggest complaint - more that the internet problems - was my landline failed on a regular basis.

In the end I found router that was more compatible with my Mac and CL. To fix the phone issue CL removed all the inside line filters, installed a whole house filter at the outside connection, and thoroughly checked every line inside the house. I have had very few problem since.

You are in IN; I am in IL. My nearest town of size is 50 miles in any direction. I am about 6 blocks from the office/plant, and I can see POP outside my window. It is very rare I do not have a clear phone connection or a consistent 7/1. If your equipment is A1 condition, and if your house wiring is A1, and if your connection in your house is A1, then the problem is between your house and the CL plant. If you have a state commerce commission that oversees utilities and telephone do contact them, but beware that internet connection is not what they do. My telephone line was the biggest part of my internet connectivity problems.

Review by kinco See Profile

• Location: Cardington,Morrow,OH
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Service has been good since modem change."
Bad "Bandwidth exhaustion for over a year, frequent disconnects, lousy tech support. (Fixed!)"
Overall "If nothing else is available to you, try CenturyLink. If you can get cable, do so."

We initially got our DSL package when Sprint had a monopoly over our territory. It was stellar and we never had any problems. Then Embarq bought them out, changed nothing, and it was still stellar. Then about a year or so ago, CenturyLink bought out Embarq and that was the end of the stellarness lol. We're paying for 6Meg down and 768k up, but the speed tests rarely reflect it. If I get just over half of what I'm paying for, I've learned to just keep my mouth shut and accept it, because every time they send someone out to do repairs, it makes the connection that much more sucky. I'm a gamer and a speed of between 2-6megs is more than sufficient enough to play most games, but the latency is unstable sometimes. CenturyLink's motto here is "as long as you're getting 150MS or less ping time, you're ok." And they fail to realise that 150 IS LAGGY! I can handle between 40-70, but once it spikes to over 100, forget it. It's been pretty stable here lately, so I'm not complaining. But, given all the crap I've had since CTL came here and the fact that I never had any issues with Sprint or Embarq (had the same DSL line/service for 6 years before CTL came here), I couldn't recommend it....at the moment. Once they stop trying to expand their territory and focus on the customer base they already have established, CTL might be the best DSL company in the world. But until then, it just seems like CTL is a guppy trying to compete in a shark's world.

Update 2/24/12: It's not been over a year since our bandwidth exhaust began and still nothing has been fixed. It's gotten significantly worse, infact. Our connection speeds are drop even during non-peak hours. I randomly watch myself get disconnected as the DSL and Internet lights on my modem reset. They say they're making attempts to remedy to situation around here, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Update 7/2/12: We're 'still' in this bandwidth exhaust. The second or third to have lasted for over 6 months. I'm 'really' starting to hate CenturyLink. Atleast Embarq provided what you paid for, even though our cap was 5megs. I'd gladly go back to that if it meant having a stable connection. I called up CTL and asked for any information regarding when the exhaust would be lifted, and the woman acted very coy and said "I can't give you a date, sir". And then basically going on and telling me that it's their new policy. Apparently too many people were given dates and when that date approached and their services still weren't up-to-par, they called up and bitched CTL out, as any rational person would, expecting their problems to be fixed. Our connection problems are actually worse than they were in February. I'm getting random packet loss throughout the day, even during non-peak hours. My latency skyrockets during peak hours, making even the most simple of tasks (loading up a web page) take forever sometimes.

Update 2/28/14: Our internet has been pretty stable since my last complaint, which wasn't good lol. The bandwidth exhaust has been fixed and everything's smooth. As time goes by and the demand for faster internet increases, I'm starting to feel like 10megs is quite low, but I certainly can't complain as I realize the speed is excellent for a rural area. I just hope they bring 20/40 our way some day.

Comments:

UGLYBAD

@embarqhsd.net

TERRIBLE

I have had the same problems for over 2 years in NC. Only after I emailed Karen Puckett with Centurylink did I start getting some attention! Just google her and you will find her email address!

quadman

@myvzw.com

substandard

Tech never showed up. Customer service is HORRIBLE. Big bucks for slow net.
Rpedraja

join:2012-07-05
Cape Coral, FL

Re: substandard

2 years of lousy service. I have them for data, tel service and tv. never get data speed, tv freezes, blacks outs and doesn't respond. Tech support can only tell you to restart modems. I've called VP of customer service. Net net, not worth what we're paying for.

Review by bmccoy See Profile

• Location: Port Orchard,Kitsap,WA
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Decent technical support"
Bad "Only 1.5Mbps available in our area, very overpriced, false advertising, no upgrades planned, low (and sneaky) caps"
Overall "VERY slow speeds, and outrageous prices. If you are lucky enough to have a different option, go with it."

·wavebroadband
I have Centurylink DSL (formerly Qwest) and unlimited nationwide calling, and it costs (after taxes) exactly $98.06 a month. The main problem I have with this ISP is that only 1.5Mbps is available where I live, because they don't want to bother upgrading any of their 90's-era equipment installed by US West and/or install a remote DSLAM. When I got this service many years ago, I was promised that they would be upgrading their equipment to get faster speeds that summer. It's been over 6 years now, and they haven't changed a thing.

UPDATE: Still no upgrades planned, according to Doug Morgan from TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com, so I will be switching to 15Mbps Wave Broadband for faster speeds and TV, while paying the same amount of money. (105.00-month for phone, internet, and basic HDTV)

After complaining to Centurylink for my internet repeatedly dropping out every 10 minutes a few months ago (fixed now), he tried to sell me DirecTV -_-

UPDATE 7/9/13:

I switched to cable internet, and it's much better. Phone quality is better, internet is around 13 times faster, with less taxes and hidden fees.

Centurylink wanted to make it as hard as possible to cancel, so we had to sit on the phone for 40 minutes with them (35 minutes on hold). I was DONE with them as soon as they raised their rates, AGAIN, adding another fee, called "Universal service fund", which is supposedly to "improve their infrastructure", while I haven't seen them doing anything but getting worse. It's another hidden fee allowed by the FCC for corporations to make more profit. I'm glad I got rid of them.

Speed test (hey, an F+ is better than an F!):

member for 1 year, 197 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Rob_
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Can you get cable

I'd dump them for cable, Centurylink is horrible. $125.00 is rather steep when you can get Vonage for $12.12 for unlimited North American calling.. (Vonage basic)

If you go to www.whitefence.com you can see what's available in your area.

-Rob

jdb

Re: Can you get cable

But with vonage you still need internet access separately. They 'forget' to tell you that...

Re: Can you get cable

And, also, you need a RELIABLE and FAST connection for VoIP, so that would be impossible to use on C/L 1.5.

jdb

@centurytel.net
heh-whitefence shows only century and hughesnet-lol

Apache Junction, AZ
Whitefence.com is nothing but an ad for HughesNet, that's the only thing that always come up and everyone knows it's terrible! C/L is great here but it depends on your location.

Port Orchard, WA
Yep, switching to cable (Wave Broadband), sometime in the next couple weeks.

Re: Can you get cable

BMcCoy, you are going to have even worse problems with cable! They will keep raising the rates every year or maybe every 6 months and will keep doing it even if they can't provide service, until you get disgusted and cancel.
CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

We Can Help

Hi bmccoy, my name is Joey and I'm with the @CenturyLinkHelp team. We want to help look into this for you. We can check to see if there are upgrades scheduled that would allow faster speeds for your DSL service. We can also look at your account pricing since it seems to be a bit high assuming it's a residential connection. We may have a better deal we can offer you. Contact us at TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com. Thanks.

Joey H
@CenturyLinkHelp Team
TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com

Jeanette

@charter.com

Century Link Fraud

We were bundled with Quest since 2005, then Quest sold out to Century Link. During the time we were bundled with Quest and had moved to WA state we noticed a charge on our acct by MSN. We have never used MSN so I called both MSN and Quest and found out that were had been paying for service we had not received. Quest refunded our money for the 18 months that we had payed for. Recently I decided to change to Cable, since our bundle had increased in price over the years. When I printed out our Century link bill, I noticed a charge of 18.95 for MSN on our acct. I notified MSN and was told that it had been happening a lot and they gave me a claim number and I was told that someone would call me. Well after 2 weeks of going back and forth between Century Link and MSN, I am told that neither can refund my money. I had been charged for MSN since Nov 2010.

Re: Century Link Fraud

Jeanette, why didn't you keep track of what you were paying? If you are a sucker then everyone will take advantage of you!

Online again

@clearwire-wmx.net

Qwest/Century Link

I went with qwest/century link 10+ yrs ago, and just last yr. NEVER AGAIN!. Poor speed for price, over-billing, mixed up billing, runarounds, > Collections. Period!. INCOMPETENT!.
They should have their corp. charter revoked.

Re: Qwest/Century Link

Online again, you can't make blanket statements like that. Here in AZ cable is terrible but C/L is reasonably priced and works great after they installed fiber near me so it depends on your location.

Location

Location is everything. If you truly want screaming fast Internet and you are willing to pay for it then move to NYC, Chicago, or LA where you can find 100Mbps or faster- if you are in the right neighborhood. LV will get you 45Mbps if you are in the right location. It should be pretty fast in the alpha cities of SF and Denver - if you are in the right location.

Trying to define rural America is much like trying to herd cats. It's different for everyone. I am rural. I am 160 miles from a large city (million or over population). I've lived in this environment in three states. Areas with less than 500000 don't gain traction with second tier telephone and cable companies. Generally you don't find AT&T or Comcast unless there is a college with 20,000+ students, or there is a large medical/research district and large corporations like State Farm or CAT. Location and volume density is where IT'S at.

FIOS, DSL, 2.5 all have limitations. The screaming fast satellite? The most expensive plan is equal to about 5Mbps in the right location. What they don't tell you is the 4 they promote is over 2.5 and it still has to travel 22,000 miles unless there is a physical building on earth. There is one in the U.S. for Direct TV customers.

Most rural is delivered over copper. The DSL limit over copper is about 7-8/1 because of overhead and the Last Mile. After you pass the mile, speed slows. The farther out, the slower the speed. It is a fact of life; ask any EE. No telco is going to bring FTTH or FTTN to a town of 2000 - even when it is in the local office. It is doubtful that bonded DSL will happen. If you have a reliable phone and steady Internet be happy. If you don't, the phone company can fix it providing your inside wiring is good, there is no problem from the source to your house, and your equipment plays nice with the telco equipment. More often than not it doesn't. Frequent interruptions and rebooting is a red flag. I replaced 5 routers before I found one that worked.

How does telco explain to you your new D-Link router isn't working properly when you know it is? My engineer friend sent me a couple of routers that worked perfectly in Dallas on AT&T and TW. Both were useless on CL where I live in the middle of nowhere. CL 7/1 is faster than AT&T in the three counties that surround me. Comcast is not any faster. It is rural and they all have the same problems with copper and towns that are 10 to 20 miles apart. The fastest business where I live is 15/5 from cable an it is about $175 with tax. I pay $100 less for 7/1 and 5 year lock. It is a major improvement over 4/1. It is steady an the phone is 98% reliable all the time.

Re: Location

I've switched to cable and have been a mostly happy customer ever since. I'm lucky to have a local ISP, and I signed up for the 15/2 plan last year. They now are upgrading their max speeds to 110/10, and upgrading my plan to 55/5 for free.
You're definitely correct, location is what really matters.
The reason your modem probably didn't work is because CenturyLink uses VDSL in most areas (I happen to still have ADSL), so you need a VDSL compatible modem.

Re: Location

As far as I know it is is still ADSL (7/1; it was 4/1) I live in a Faraday's Cage. After the D-Link and the others that only worked for a few weeks each, I bought a ASUS plug n play N router when they first came out. They upgraded modem to Zxytel. No problems since.

I am glad someone understands this because I surely do not. Thank you very much.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

said by ArizonaSteve:

said by ArizonaSteve:

So the first quote you make an obviously "blanket statement" as you call it. Then in the second quote you call someone else out for doing as you do. What gives Steve?

Re: Location

Cable companies are known for consistent price hikes, even with diminished service (Cox is the main provider in Phoenix metro, and they're terrible for that)

Qwest/US West put FTTN pretty much everywhere here, so CenturyLink's network here is way better than anything Cox could offer a majority of the time.

Although, i've had Insight (best cable co i've ever had), Time Warner, WOW!, Comcast, and Cox and have had the cable internet issues that he's describing on pretty much all of them (except Insight - RIP), and even if you happen to look at cable internet reviews it says pretty much the same thing.

Re: Location

Again, it depends on your location. I happen to have a local cable ISP where I live, and its internet speeds are much better. 110/10 is the highest tier I can get with my new ISP.

Re: Location

Well here we can get 150/30 from Cox, but CenturyLink also offers 100/40 through pair bonding here if you're close enough to the box.

Cable still generally has congestion issues for many people (especially on systems the cable operator opted to go SDV instead of just doing a plant upgrade to 1GHz)

The only way any ISP should be going at this point is just fiber to the home, but until forced to provide reliable internet service through a common carrier law nothing is going to be done.

Goose15t

@76.1.0.x

Worst customer service ever!

I have century link and it is by far the worst customer service i have had with anything in my life. I have had bad waitresses but they have never been as bad as the service i get from Century Link. I call to upgrade my internet speed and get lied to about what speeds i am suppose to get and what speeds I can upgrade to as far as upload speed. I get it worked out and someone comes to my house to pre-setup for the upgrade. The guy cut my wire to install the new one and had no intention of installing it for me to have internet that day. I was lucky enough that I was present to ask him and make sure I still had internet. He got it back connected but I had to suffer for over a day of less then 1mbps of download and less then .1mbps of upload which is possibly taking you back to the early years of internet. They tried to give me the run around to get that issue fixed, and to top it all off my upgrade was scheduled to be done for today Feb 13th 2014. So I called to confirm a timeframe they were going to be at my house and the response was they scheduled it for the 18th now. When I talked to a supervisor she told me that nothing could be done and that they probably will not be able to install until the end of the month and that the 18th is only a tentative date now. Immediatly i told them I am looking for a new internet service and that I will call them when I have one and will be canceling their services. I recommend that no one I MEAN NO ONE get their internet services at all. It expensive and a huge waste of money.

·wavebroadband

Re: Worst customer service ever!

100.00 a month for telephone service and 1.5Mbps DSL is a total rip off, IMO. I'm now paying 124.00 a month for much more reliable internet, phone, and even TV. I'm never going back unless CenturyLink makes some huge changes or starts providing FTTH.

Review by Refresh See Profile

• Location: Poulsbo,Kitsap,WA
Good "More reliable than smoke signals for connectivity"
Bad "No reliability, ineptitude or non-education of phone techs"
Overall "If you have another option for broadband, go with it."

Rather than a blow-by-blow review, I will just post an account of tonights festivities with CenturyLink. Take this, and extend it out for about six years.

Kind of long read, but this is a normal experience for me, as a user of CenturyLink services.
====================================================================
I have CenturyLink DSL. Please take pity on me. Having CL as an ISP has been akin to being trapped in a cartoon, only it's not funny. Here is my latest experience with them.

Like I said, this is just the latest experience with these folks. I have had experiences like this ever since CenturyLink took over Embarq. Bandwidth issues, privacy issues, ineptitude. Nothing but laughs, right?

Since there are no other providers on my street, I am stuck with them. Comcast has lines running seemingly everywhere around my neighborhood. I'm sure if they shot a cable down this street, every single household would subscribe to their television, internet, and even phone services.

There is a piece of fiber optic cable buried 50 feet from my front door, owned by the local power company. However, due to Washington state law, they are not allowed to sell to residential customers, and can only wholesale to businesses.

Satellite, you say? Nope. I won't be subjected to that nightmare again.

I'm thinking that using smoke signals to communicate with the internet would be better than utilizing this "service".

Read on for a giggle. Why am I posting this here? Heck, I'm posting it everywhere. Maybe if I make enough noise, someone up the chain will hear.

2014-02-19 - 5:00pm

Spoke with Wayne at Qwest. Found out that he was with Qwest when I read him my account number. Since the IVR phone system doesn't give a caller an opportunity to bypass the prompts if they don't have a phone number, except if you press '1' for new customers, it routed me to new Qwest services.

Wayne attempted to transfer me to CenturyLink, but hung up on me instead.

2014-02-19 - 6:00pm

Spoke with Aubrey at the support line. Explained to her that I on 2/15 I had my voice service discontinued, with the exception of the state-mandated emergency services. This was done for two reasons:

prevention of further information leakage by CenturyLink. On two seperate occasions, CenturyLink has released my unlisted telephone number.
Stopping the 20-30 solicitation calls that were being received daily. After changing our phone number for the second time, we began receiving a large number of telemarketing, charity, and survey calls.
On 2/19/2014 at approximately 8:20am, we received two solicitation calls. One was a live caller, who wanted us to purchase an ADT alarm system (which we already have). When asked how she got the call through, she stated that the computer dials the number, and she simply answers the call.

The second call was received at approximately 3:40pm. The recorded message was left on our answering machine regarding the placement of a security sign in our front yard.

Aubrey agree that this was not right; we should not be receiving any calls on our voice line. She offered to change the phone number once again, and insure the call blocking was in place.

I asked Aubrey if this would interrupt the internet connection, as we had had problems with changes in past which would interrupt our DSL internet service for 1-5 days. She stated that our internet service would not be interrupted. However, as soon as she pressed "the button" internet service stopped functioning.

Giving Aubrey this information, she seemed puzzled, and immediately requested a supervisor. Approximately 20 minutes of them doing whatever it is they do when the customer is on hold, and the internet service returned. I believed my problems to be resolved, and bid Aubrey thanks and good night.

I spent another 15-20 minutes eating the dinner that I had missed while on the phone with CenturyLink.

2014-02-19 - 6:30pm

Returned to my computer to retrieve email, and perform other work-related functions, and found that I was not able to instantiate a VPN connection. Further checking revealed that I could not attach to some websites such as www.yahoo.com, www.msn.com, etc. One website would load correctly, www.google.com. However, searches failed.

At this point I began troubleshooting my equipment:

disable bridged mode on DSL modem, restart modem - no effect
remove router, connect computer directly to DSL modem, restart modem - no effect
re-enable bridge mode, reconnect router, reconnect computer to switch, restart all equipment - no effect
So no problems found with equipment.

Now, I begin investigating routing issues. Note that no static routes are present on any of my equipment.

The connection between my outside interface (xx.xx.xx.xx) and the CenturyLink interface, or gateway (xxxxxxxxxxxx.sta.embarqhsd.net [xx.xx.xx.xx]) appears to be rock solid. No packet loss, 14ms ping time. Not bad for going all the way to Oregon.

When measuring to internet locations however, packet loss jumped to about 31%. By tracing the route between my host and the remote site (for example, www.google.com), it was found that the connection or routing tables between the following two hosts was having a problem:

por-edge-12.inet.qwest.net [205.171.130.73]
phn-edge-06.inet.qwest.net [205.171.12.142]

Now, (about 7:00pm), I called in once again, this time to the highspeed internet support line. After walking through the above troubleshooting procedure, with the tier 1 tech, he realized I actually knew what I was talking about, and passed me through to tier 2.

I once again explained the above troubleshooting procedure to the new technician, Verna. Verna agreed that the troubleshooting procedure was sound. I explained to her where the problem appeared to be, but she told me that my problems were due to an old modem (model 660R), which should have been replaced long ago.

One more time, I explained to Verna, with a few more details, specifically that every time that a change is made to our service, internet connectivity is lost for one to five days. I also explained once again where the trusty traceroute and ping was showing the problem to be, and the connection between me and the gateway was fantastic. Nope, Verna says it is the modem.

Fine. So Verna orders up a modem, which will not be here for two days. Wonderful.

Verna provides 15 days of credit on current bill, and asked if there was anything else I needed from her. I asked her why internet connectivity is lost every time a change is made. For example, when we added call blocking, and lost internet for two days. Really.

I have to give Verna credit. She took my heated questions with aplomb, and expressed empathy for my problems. She was a real trooper, and there was nothing she could do about my issues. Sorry about dropping the "S" word on you, Verna. You didn't need to listen to an angry geek.

2014-02-19 8:00pm

After cooling off for a few minutes, I realized that I had left the ping monitor running, and wandered back to the home office to turn it off. This is when I noticed that no more packets were being dropped. Some quick testing reveals that somehow, internet functionality has returned!

Well, almost. I'm still getting intermittent drops, and general unresponsiveness. Time for some more looking around.

Some test, like ISPGeeks.com, seem to think I am coming from Witchita, Kansas. I find this interesting, since previously (and for the last several years), these sites report me as coming from White Salmon, WA.

Could this be the root of all the evil ? Did CenturyLink lose a peering point in Portland ? Could it be repercussions from a fiber cut that happened recently in California ?

I, or any other customer, or (sadly) most of the phone techs, will never know.

Comments:

linicx

about ISPs

Century Link has a footprint in 38 states. Any net user in any state can be routed X number of hops over Y number of carriers between your location, and, let's say google. Pings, and Timeout are probably more important.

Why your neighbor is serviced by company X, but you are not serviced, is all about territory and to whom can use it. Service to residents can be decided by the state legislature, the city you live in, or your county/parish as it is related to your land location.

While I originally had a lot of problems with connectivity where I live, it was resolved when old copper wires were replaced. I left after that for a couple of years due to other issues.

When I came back I stopped roto-calls and solicitations before it began. I de-listed the number before the service was turned on. I do not answer numbers I cannot identify. A couple years down the road when CL upgraded to the DSL over copper phone I had a lot of problems with it. CL finally pulled all the splitter jacks and installed a whole house filter outside on the company side of the box. The modem was upgraded to ZyTel. I've had next to no phone or net problems since.

I've lived in rural America and had the same kinds of problems with 10 providers in three states. Overall the phone company provides a more reliable and stable service than the more expensive cable company.

Aside: There was two years or so when I could not keep a router working (without a lot of interruptions), and the internet up for more than 3-6 months at a time. It was not compatible. I finally found one that did a couple of years ago. It's been fine ever since. It is a mystery that an ABC router works while an XYZ router does not.

Review by crjt85 See Profile

• Location: Red Oak,Montgomery,IA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Overall "Awaiting an agument over cacellation fee"

I decided to go with Centurylink because they promised I would get 12 Mb where I live (5 blocks from the phone building). They actually said 20 Mb would be possible on a business account. Well, the apartment had no phone line and while I could have installed the wiring myself I decided to have their tech do it as that way if there were issues they wouldn't stick me with a bill for resolving them. This was all done efficiently in early December (2013).

The tech's test meter showed exactly the speed I was promised. Everything worked fine until around Christmas Eve, when the the modem started dropping the connection. I waited until the day after the holiday was over, thinking it might simply be additional users, then called Tech support. Now please understand that I am not complaining about the customer representative or the technicians, all were as polite and helpful as could be. The first tech thought he'd found the problem, bad connections, and all was great again for a couple of weeks and then the same problem began all over again.

The next tech they sent out didn't call me but when I got home that evening it was back to high speed and stayed online, for a couple of weeks, then the same old issue came back except it would now usually stay online for a minute or less. Now, I was told their system was showing errors, and although I thought at first it might be weather related it was very random. I could not pin it down to time of day, day of the week or anything else for that matter. I tried to give them as much feedback as I could in case they could put together some sensible reason for the issue. Having worked with phone lines myself I know that apparently random outages can be hard to find, but once again found myself on the phone with tech support. Another visit from a tech and once again he thought he had fixed the problem, that was about 10:30 am last Monday after tech support had elevated the trouble to local supervisor level. He showed me a display on his laptop which showed errors all over the place before his visit but almost 100% service after...

And it lasted until about 2:30 pm, when guess what, it started all over again. And the resulted in about my 7th call to Centurylink, this time to cancel the service. Not much sense in paying for something I can't reliably use. I estimate since installation the service has been unusable almost half of the time.

Once again I want to stress that I am not blaming the individuals, but do Centurylink not review their own service and equipment when obviously persistent faults are reported? Everything, the line install and modem were all Centurylink, so d'ya think maybe they should check their own lines... I mean it's only 5 blocks to their building. How hard can that be?

By the way I live in Red Oak Iowa and have heard others complain but have no idea of the scale of phone and internet issues.

Comments:
CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

"Awaiting an agument over cacellation fee"

Hello!
Yes, that does indeed sound like a frustrating experience. I can imagine you are feeling quite upset about the whole ordeal. While it's unfortunate we're unable to keep your service, I'm hear to help if you need, or have trouble getting the account closed. You can reach me directly at TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com.

Sincerely,
^Doug
CenturyLink Help

Me too

I went through the same thing at my house. Finally a savvy old lineman removed all the inside line filters at the jacks and replaced it with a single whole house filter outside and then updated the modem. It's been fine for over two years now.

Five years earlier CL replaced the aging copper lines to my house because it was nearly useless regarding internet.

You have a new line ergo the errors on CL side are between the exterior of your apartment and the plant five blocks away. Chances are, if you have not added a new wireless router, the issue is between the wiring in the building and the plant. (Not all home routers play nicely with CL equipment.)

Review by Eighthman See Profile

• Location: Troy,Lincoln,MO
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Speed stays consistent"
Bad "Price is way to high "
Overall "All out reliable"

·AT&T Yahoo
·Charter
No longer with CenturyLink due to the outrageous pricing for 3.0 Mbps and phone service. Hope this helps.

member for 12.8 years, 2643 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Ed in oregon

@qwest.net

Slow internet Pay for 1.5M be happy with a consistant half

I've had Centurylink for almost two years. The only speed offered on my lane is 1.5M. I would be happy with even half that. The ONLY reason I still have them is due to they are the only ones without a data cap that serves me. I was attempting to stream a couple of 15min youtube clips and the speed was running at 144kbs and I was buffering!!!!!!! I've spoken with them twice with hollow promises of new fiber to the distribution point..etc etc etc. I get so stinking fed up with that! I pay $42/month, and if my wife wouldn't like to have some access during the day, I would get rid of this pain.........

Review by Hazy Arc See Profile

• Location: Greenwood,Greenwood,SC
Good "Connection is ok during the day"
Bad "Connection slows considerably during evening, no forseeable speed increases on the horizon"
Overall "If there was a viable alternative, I'd be gone in a heartbeat."

·Embarq Now Centu..
I've been a Centurylink (previously Embarq) customer since 2007. I'd like to sit here and tell you it's been fun and games since I became a customer, but sadly that is not the case.

In the 5 years I've been a customer, I'd say my connection has been flawless less than 20% of the time I've had it. In fact, in 2008, I had scheduled a cable install after dealing with a high latency/slow speed problem for over 5 months. Only after I was personally contacted by an employee of then-Embarq asking me to allow them to help did I stick around. It turns out our area had been placed on bandwidth exhaust (big surprise there), and the problem was fixed another 2 months later. Since 2007, I haven't sniffed a speed upgrade - I had 3Mbps then, and that's where I'm stuck. 5 years and no upgrades? Come on!

Nowadays, I rarely get my advertised speeds, and I am experiencing high latency and slow speeds during the evening. I know, I know - why not go to cable? The answer is two-fold: First, my local mom-and-pop cable provider (Northland Cable »User reviews - Northland Cable Television) is notoriously bad, even worse than Centurylink (if that's possible). I have to laugh when I see folks complaining about Comcast/Charter/etc. - I'd give anything to be serviced by them. The other reason I haven't dumped Centurylink is because I have been a true dry loop DSL customer since I started, so I literally pay $39 a month for 3Mbps internet, no bogus taxes or fees that are tacked on like with their insulting "Pure DSL" offering. Since they no longer offer true dry loop DSL, I'm hesitant to drop them - especially if Northland didn't work out. If Centurylink ever removes my grandfather status, I'm outta here.

Ultimately, like many other smaller towns in the United States, the problem is lack of competition. Well, let me rephrase - Centurylink and Northland are certainly in "competition" in Greenwood, South Carolina - but it's a contest of who can provide the worst value for the most money.

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

Sorry to hear that.

This is not good news since Centurylink just took over Qwest here in Arizona. Qwest was terrible before though so I guess nothing will change.

UpNort

@frontiernet.net

Re: Sorry to hear that

I've had Qwest for years in MN and have been VERY happy with them. I nervous about the switch to CenturyLink. I hope they provide the same good, reliable service we've been getting from Qwest.
BigC23

join:2011-06-01
Rustburg, VA

Re: Sorry to hear that

Personally I would start looking to see what your other options are. They're pretty horrible.

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR

I agree they do suck.

So sad

I've never heard of 'bandwidth exhaust' but I have heard of being oversold, and of needing to upgrade equipment in the plant to meet customer demand, bad card, and various other plausible reasons.

If you have eliminated all possible wiring issues inside your house, the problem is then moved between box on the outside the house and the nearest POP. You should have a later model router, and best modem for your area system from CL. (I have an ASUS PnP for pc that is flawless as CL does not support non-pc products and I use Mac).

The other issue could be distance from the plant and/or your card in the local plant. If it is all 100%, the chances are the bottom line is the plant needs to be updated. It may come this summer. I remember about 3 -4 months when all was perfectly erratic; I rebooted modern 12 times daily. That mess disappeared, the speed increased and all was wonderful. I am in the middle of nowhere and isolated. I think 10/1 is wonderful -- most of the time. Be patient. The squeaky wheel gets the most grease th quickest.

momof4

@centurytel.net

Internet speeds getting worse and worse especially at night

My letter to Centurylink tonight: This has been going on far too long, with many many phone calls to tech help!!! We get most EVERY NIGHT Download speed 0.42 mbps and upload 0.25mbps. We are paying you $75-80 per month for HORRIBLE AWFUL SERVICE IN EVERY WAY!! You finally sent a real tech out to the house who is nice(Frank) but he cannot fix the problem inside or outside. WE have had HORRIBLE SERVICE FOR YEARS, It fluctuates terribly and now that I have been trying to do home business work for over a yea, I feel you owe me/us a HUGE CREDIT!!!!!! we have been keeping track of speeds and I have filed a complaint in a possible class action lawsuit. I have never done that before even when a hospital did a bad surgery and was afraid of us suing but we never did, we are not that type of people. BUT! we DON'T DESERVE YEARS OF OVER PAYING FOR A SERVICE THAT ISN'T legally giving us even near the minimum required.

Review by OOMJR See Profile

• Location: Avilla,Noble,IN
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Working after another heap through hoops. Things are now getting better."
Bad "Tech support is hard to get, but once you find a good # it's fine"
Overall "Do your homework and 'complain'. Worth it for the end result, just have to bother them on problems. "

12/31/13 Update

Internet is back to a stable state. 10 down and .78 up at all times with 35ms to the closest speedtest server in Michigan.

Good news is they just tested and confirmed Bonded 25/2 which will get installed this Friday afternoon(1/3/14). Since the last post they have installed another 5000 shelf that has 2 gige connections, this will be used to handle the Bonded connections in the area. 5000ft or closer only qualify. I'm at 4500ft. I'll post stats and tests of a before and after on this review plus on a forum thread I've made a while back.

»centurylink Avilla,IN bad again. Fixed 1st time by FCC

9/20/13 Update

Back again to 70+ ping and 1-3 down on CL tests. Speedtest.net is showing 70 ping with 1 down and .76 up. Pingtest.net is showing 80ms with 90 jitter when on a good day it's 14ms with 0-1 jitter. Sync rates are in great standing. IHD team still emailing engineers but haven't heard back from them. Got a pathetic credit 28$ credit on my 45$ bill. They won't fully credit my account cause it's not bad all the time just when it's busy. Congestion resolution time is 11-15-13... So about two more months. Pathetic. I'm letting it go till then. If nothing changes I might be dropping service and just tether my 4GLTE cell phone that has unlimited data. Rage mode right now.

I suggest avoiding there services if you can and wait till they get things fixed. Wait till you see a good amount of updated good reviews 1st.

8/12/13 Update

Waiting for a response from IHD team. Last night was by far the worse. 2-4 down with 300+ ping. Patience is running dry and every time I touch the internet in anyway it just frustrates me more. So I've been avoiding it all for now and letting CL do their job.

8/8/13 Update

Well, I think the loss balance is effecting me again. Back to how it was in June. Slow at peak hours with high latency. Pretty much worthless again. Emailed my contacts multiple times and no one higher up ,including TalkToUs , is responding back. Pretty upset with it all. Wish there was a different provider up here....

8/6/13 Update

After a balance issue between two near by cities the internet was running fine until the outage on Aug 1st, 2nd. After which the internet was slow and unstable until 8/5/13. It now is running full throttle at 13 ms ping to chicago and 10 down .78 up. As of now I'm happy but I'm hesitant to say I will be forever. Things will happen again, I'm certain.

Support is good if you can weave yourself into the correct #'s. Took me a few phone calls to find the right person to talk to. I know have 3 contacts I can email on the issue that by passes the 24/7 line and chats.

Thanks

Matt

5/8/13 Update

So... Supposedly... The CO supervisor, local tech and his managers are in contact via email with corporate. The fix would consist of moving some DSLAMS to a different rack. They have 3 racks, each can hold 3 DSLAMS, one not being used, one used for 6Mbps or lower and one for 10Mbps. The 10Mbps rack is at 98% capacity at night and they don't see the issue at the 24/7 line, not sure if they can. Each rack is also connected to a gigE fiber line.

Waiting game and contacting them each day for updates.

4/30/13 Update

Check out my test history »/testhistory/1782576/cba7a . During peak hours the line quality tests fail due to packet loss. After peak hours the test works ok but there is packet loss. My connection from my Modem to the DSLAM is 8ms. After the DSLAM that's where the issues are. It's on their end and they can't except that very easily. Took me a 48minute call to the 24/7 line to get this through their head. Their finally looking into the issue.

The Central Office is one street west of my house and this morning there was a Centurylink Van there along with a normal pedestrian car(employee?)

.7 to 10 Down during peak hours(5-12:30) .4-.6 Up. Ping of 100+ to 500.

I can usually ping at 30ms and have 10 down and .78 up to chicago.

Yahoo.com times out on pings and traceroutes.

Google.com pings at at least 130ms.

After peak hours it seems to be testing ok but I'm not home to use it... I work 8-5.

This will be the 2nd time I've had ping/bandwidth issues in my area. The first time around phone support and chat wasn't helping so I filed a FCC complaint. They gave me a new modem for free and fix the issue. If came back about a week later and I was offered a tech's direct number. He went out and switch me to a newer card at the Central Office. This fixed the issues until 4/28/13. I seem to be back where I was before. I'm guessing it's a bad card or they are having packet loss on their end. I called the tech and he doesn't work in my area anymore so he wasn't of any help. I called the 24/7 service line and they said I had to average 300ms ping with low bandwidth for them to issue it as an actual problem. I kept on them and they said they would look into it. Put me on hold a couple times to talk to a 3rd party company(that I assumes monitors and remotely fixes issues). They said they would see if they could remotely fix the issue and if this wasn't possible they would send a tech out. The window of the issue getting fixed is 24-48 hours. I'm expecting this to be done within this given time line. If it isn't I will be filing my second FCC complaint against the company, which I don't want to do but I don't like getting horrible service and paying for it.

-Matthew Raupfer

1-23-12 Update

After about 6 months of service my package 10Mbps down and 860Kbps up has become a horrible experience. I'm getting "the engineers are working to resolve the bandwidth issue in your area" line for the last 4 months... I can't get my 10 down anymore at anytime and during peak afternoon/evening hours I will range from .6 down to 1Mbps. My upload usually stays around 860Kbps. I've contacted Joey once again about the issue and a local store about it. Waiting for replies right now. Online chat hasn't helped one bit with the issue.

Ordered 10Mbps/896Kbps

1st day it was installed was able to ping Chicago server @ 14ms with a bandwidth test of 10.5Mbps/860Kbps

2nd day the ping went up to an average of 50ms to the same server.

Called 1-877-646-3282 to see if they had me set on interleaved rather then fast mode.
They told me since I was using a Actiontec Modem and not a rental that they wouldn't support Fast Mode. Also, I never was able to get a answer out of them what mode they were sending me from the DSLAM. She was running me around. At the end she said that there was a fiber issue in my area and they were working on fixing it... I went ahead and hung up.

Went to »www.centurylink.com/Pages/Support/ContactUs/ and did the online chat.
WOW!!! The customer support rep was extremely nice and answered every question I had. I did have to wait here and there after certain questions due to having to look up the info but in the end she was able to tell me I was connected interleaved. She then went ahead and switch me to Fast Mode, then she tested the line.

Online Chat is Superb so far. Phone Support... don't waste your time.

My ping is now back down to ~20ms to the Chicago server and my bandwidth is doing well at 10Mbps/864Kbps.

Overall,

Service has been up 24/7 for 3 months and online chat support is great.

Phone support is terrible. Rude and just want to get the phone call over with.

Comments:

Trawocd

@comcast.net

comments

I have heard a great deal of "bad" through acquaintances about cl. You always hear the bad more than the good. This is not an endorsement, although I am considering my options for service at this time. I would like to hear some of what they are doing correctly to help make a decision.
Seems service with a phone call is almost useless, but I see online chats are productive for the informed.

Need more input.
DC

Re: comments

Understand. No mega corporation cares one byte about one kid with school work, or a housebound handicapped person; but business, yes.

Truthfully, for the average user who does not download movies, compose symphonies, or create massive scientific projects on line ... 10/2 will support a digital phone and a rock solid internet connection very well, but. When a local CO is pushed to the breaking point it usually does.

The one thing a telephone company can do that cable cannot do is separate the phone side from the Internet side of the service. Thus when the telco and cable are offline, the telco phone will continue to work. It's a federal requirement that telco maintain is backup power for the phone system in their communications center (co). It might be six blocks from your house or 20 miles from your office, but you can bet there is a very large backup power source for your phone.

·TracFone Wireless
Trawocd, your best bundle is CL landline phone, Comcast Internet speed, and Dish crystal clear signal. It will cost you between $150 -$250 (depending upon the options you chose) plus the cost of installation, modems, etc..

BTW, you need to join us; you will get more help.

Review by db7099 See Profile

• Location: Jefferson City,Cole,MO
Good "Dependable at best"
Bad "Poor Speeds"
Overall "Go with someone else if possible"

I had Centurylink before and tried to get them to upgrade speeds for over 8 years with no luck. Switched to cable and got 15 MBS, now cable is dropping this area and I was forced to switch back after 2.5 years. After 10.5 years total Centurylink still has not upgrades this area, keep telling me I'm 17,000 feet from server and 1.5 mbs is all I can get. I'm sorry but 1.5 MBS nowadays is like Dialup was 10 years ago.

Funny I live less than .5 miles outside the city limits of the Capital City of Missouri, you would think I could get at least 5 MBS. Pretty bad, No Cable company anymore and 1.5 MBS internet.

member for 116 days, 58 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
brad152

Cable company dropping?

You must live in a very unprofitable area if the cable company is even dropping you.

Did you try to speak to a local tech about the load in the area and possibly VDSL2 install? If you're in such a low-profit area then the RoI must just not be there to maintain it.
db7099

join:2013-12-23
Jefferson City, MO

Re: Cable company dropping?

From what I read on the net VDSL2 maximum distance is around 13,000 feet, I'm 17,000 feet from the server they tell me.

Phoenix, AZ

Re: Cable company dropping?

Well if they do a remote VDSL2 terminal it's possible to get it closer, and there are other profiles other than VDSL2 8A (8b has same distance as ADSL2+ due to power output)

There are ways to get it done, and if you're willing to pay for a business account, at 17k feet you might be able to pay some cash to have a fiber line ran but since that's over 3mi i would not count on it.

Maybe get with your neighbors and offer to split the VDSL2 upgrade costs and sign a contract with the local management?
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Fixed Wireless

Might want to check out a few Fixed Wireless solutions..

»radiowire.net/HTML/Coverages.htm

»www.ktis.net/
db7099

join:2013-12-23
Jefferson City, MO

Basically live in a dead spot

What I was told by the Previous owner was that when they made the cable franchise in this area Mediacom got it but evidently this street wasn't on the map they looked at back in 1973. Basically Mediacom has this whole area except a couple streets, Classic cable came in and picked up this street, few years later sold it to Cebridge, then Cebridge sold it to Suddenlink. Worst Cable service I ever had. I can't pickup any wireless hotspots, but I can get 4g LTE through ATT, not paying that price for capped internet. Radiowire just works off of Hotspots doesn't it, can't find much info on the net other than a contact phone number.

Actually

1.5Mbps is a broadband speed. The fastest speed a dialup modem could manage was 56K; 48.8 was closer to reality. The truth if you want a faster speed you need to move closer to the equipment.

You will find the same speed and the same complaint from coast to coast. Telephone companies such as AT&T and Verizon, and cable companies like COX and Comcast sold off their small and midsized markets in the 90s to new companies like Suddenlink and Frontier. They don't want Troy or Branson. They want St.Louis and KC, and cities with dense population and universities. AT&T is in Rolla and Columbia, but it is not where you live, or where I live either. I lived in SWMO when Cox sold out and the sudden disaster moved in. It was total disaster which is one of the reasons I left.