CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by celifish1 See Profile

• Location: Aurora,Arapahoe,CO
Good "nothing at all"
Bad "all of it"
Overall "By far the worst ISP I have ever worked with!!!!!"

I have been a technician for 18 years installing everything from custom home theater, automation and integrated alarm along with POS systems at all the high end retail stores. I have worked with multiple ISP's and most have their glitches but CenturyLink takes the cake!!!!

I moved from Bellingham Washington to South Aurora Co. last year and I looked for a good priced ISP in the area, at the time CL was the only one with a good promotion, I was not comfortable with having a contract and boy was I right!!!

Slow as a slug on hot pavement.....

I was told 20mbps and the highest i ever got was 3.2mbps download speeds. if I wanted to work in the middle of the night .8 mbps.

their customer support was the worst, rude always passing the blame to the wiring in the building( which I checked and was perfectly good, I even re-terminated and tested to be sure)

All in all it was the worst year of internet I have ever had!!!

My advice, STAY AWAY!!!!

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

linicx

Sorry

Bad things happen to good people and connectivity to the Internet is one. It is only as good as your equipment at home, the equipment in the plant, and your distance from it. I bought 4-5 routers before I found one that would work with CL. Where I live it is PC friendly and not much else without a battle to make it work.

I live in a duopoly of CL and a telephone company in another city that provides cable. Both use the same fiber in he same plant to serve the same customers. Both charge the same for basic service. However, if I want 15/5 and I don't mind the $150 I will pay for top tier cable I really dont want to get it. AFAIK CL doesn't offer too much over .768 up in most rural places.

Review by captinkirk See Profile

• Location: Tucson,Pima,AZ
Good "Nothing yet"
Bad "Four months without no service"
Overall "Alot of heartache"

I placed my order in May. And still haven't been installed... Enough Said. Customer Service just doesn't care. My neighbor ordered last week and got installed before I did. My order is still up in held orders and assignments. When they finally did give me an install date they said it was because they were over booked yet new customer get installed before orders that have been sitting do.. If they dont have enough techs to complete the order perhaps they should hire more. Very upset and frustrated. Avoid CL at all costs.

Comments:
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Wow.. This seems familiar.

That's funny, this is what happened when we wanted Comcast. Qwest spent days rewiring our house to get it installed. It seems ISPs don't care about their customer anymore. While you don't have CL, get a high quality router or you'll be in another nightmare. If there's anything that works best though it's: "That's it, If you don't come soon, I am switching to Comcast."

·TracFone Wireless

What most do not understand

CL is a telephone company that is licensed by the Federal Communications Commission to bring wireline to the homes and maintain - as part of a national network -. connectivity from coast to coast.

Every state has some type of public utility commission that assures if you pay your bill your utilities will be delivered to your home in a timely manner. In this case the Utility means natural gas, lights and telephone.

Neither the FCC or the State utility commission regulates the Internet or dares to touches it. Until that changes you get what you get.

I have CL, a wireline, and a PUC. The three give me a very good product. The fact the web is bundled with the phone is incidental. But incidentally with an excellent wireline and a whole house filter I also have excellent Internet of 10/1 in town of 2000 in the middle of nowhere in the Midwest. If I want a really good doctor and more than one grocery store I drive 50 miles.

My nearest neighbor county town is 15 miles. AT&T provides a whopping 6/1 while the local WISP offers 5/.500. I think I am blessed. OTOH if I want a blazing fast 15/5 from cable I must buy the top tier cable package plus phone and web for $150. I'll stick with my $75 and SAT TV and still pay less. I can opt for 4/1 and VoIP. Been there; crappy. If I want VoIP that is works well then I have to pay at least $100. What I get is a really good DSL phone, and 10/2 as long as it is online.

The only time CL was down in the last 5 years was last fall during floods. The whole town was down. I was off line for less than 60 minutes. Cable was down for 3 days.

Good or bad, I am in for the long haul. If you want leverage get a telephone line in the house. Then PUC can help you if the phone does not work as promised.

My argument is very simple. If CL can sell 100T fiber to Paris, why can't I have a phone that works 24/7? Do remember it is not POTS. It is only as good as the phone you buy. I have a half-dozen that are horrible on VoIP and CL, too.
coryw

join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

Re: What most do not understand

Once again, CenturyLink doesn't "sell" 100T fiber to Paris. If CenturyLink does operate a 100T backbone to Paris, it's a different business unit anyway, and they almost certainly (like 100% likelihood) sell capacity on it to other companies. (Though "giant fiber line to Paris" has always seemed more AT&T or Verizon's style, or Level3/Cogent.)

Any citation on the fact that this 100T in paris exists?

Re: What most do not understand

I read it in a CL public business announcement: 100T to Paris and to London.
coryw

join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

Do you have a link?

Anyway, it's 100% guaranteed to be backhaul, transit in the style of Level3 or Cogent, and it certainly starts at a carrier hotel in New York, and ends at a carrier hotel in Paris and London. Not only can CL's customers use it to access content in Europe, but AT&T U-Verse, DSL, and Verizon FiOS and DSL customers, (in fact let's just go ahead and call it "all residential Internet users in the United States") are going to be using that line to access web sites hosted in Europe. The reverse will be happening too -- European users accessing content hosted in North America.

It's not like as a resident in Paris, you can sign up for CenturyLink home Internet and they'll bring a Technicolor C2000T or ZyXEL FR1000z to your house.

Re: What most do not understand

I get what you are saying and it makes perfectly good sense. I don't know understand why a hotel would be involved as France and UK have telco and some type of L3

Review by otom8 See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "Good tech support when setting up equipment for first time."
Bad "Originally quoted prices did not remotely resemble bill. Price repeatedly raised over time. Connectivity problems."
Overall "CenturyLink will be my LAST choice, from now on."

·Cox HSI
Monthly bill was 30% higher than promised by salesperson on phone. Asked salesperson to repeat all charges three times, to make sure. All-inclusive, no-other-charges price was supposed to be $29.95/month, the bill was about $45/month. Plus, I was promised no startup costs; bill in the mail had startup costs. After receiving the bill, I called and talked with two representatives, but they were not able to correct the problem, so I canceled the service. (Posted in early part of 2013.)

_________________________________________________

Update at later date:

I could not find a comparable price and I could not get out of the one year contract, so I went with CenturyLink anyway. Stayed with them for a year and a half. The company kept raising the price (price at cancelation was $65), and kept moving the payment due date forward several days every couple of months -- if this continued, by the end of the year they would have received an entire extra month of payment from me. I canceled because of the reasons stated above, plus: The connection was spotty, experienced a loss of connection an average of once per day in early or late evening. Tried replacing CenturyLink router-modem, but did not help. Tech support could not resolve. Canceled connection 8/6/2014. Switched to apparent lesser of two evils, Cox. For almost same price, went from CenturyLink's claimed 10 Mbits/sec to Cox's claimed 50 Mbits/sec.

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

wow!

They aren't going to do well trying to cheat new customers right off the bat are they. Phone service has a ton of taxes and extra charges though, are you sure it wasn't actually $29.95 with $15 worth of extra charges and taxes?

otom8

join:2013-02-25
Henderson, NV
·Cox HSI

Re: wow!

No. I specifically, carefully, and deliberately asked three times for the grand total that I would be paying both at startup and as a monthly fee. The salesperson said very clearly that there would be no startup costs, that the prorate would be based on $29.95/month (it was more), and that the absolute, grand total including all costs, per month, would be $29.95. I realize that is a very low price, but nevertheless, that is what the salesperson said. On top of that, when I called to complain, one of the reps said that the original salesperson had the brazenness to add a note to the account saying, "Explained all charges". Perhaps they always add that, to try to cover themselves.

Greg007

@qwest.net

Century Link sucks

Century Link has been the worst internet service yet. The connection is frequently lost and it takes 30 minutes to do something that should only take 2 minutes. It is very frustrating. This has been an ongoing problem, even after it was "fixed"

Review by dw See Profile

• Location: 85123
Good "Better than nothing."
Bad "10-15 disconnects a day, 1990's speeds"
Overall "It's either wi-fi, sat or CenturyLink... CenturyLink is the cheapest"

We're on the low-income program but had initially requested 12mb, then downgraded to 3mb, then 1.5m because in this area we're far too low a priority for upgrading their lines from their CO to our DMARK. Suffice to say I've spent a lot of time getting nowhere trying to get them to either upgrade their CO, upgrade the lines between the DMARK and their CO or add a closer CO or boosting equipment to no end. Several times a month after my modem and their CO get annoyed with one another after enough resyncs, we get locked into a 640/640 connection. I feel like we're in the stone ages but they've made it obviously clear, they're not upgrading our area.

This varies greatly from the service our family receives a few streets away from Battaglia where they have a stable 12mb line. We live past Alsdorf so I'm guessing their CO is near Battaglia and they don't plan to add a CO over here. If you live near the 'lake', you're even further than I am from their CO so I would say use another ISP - unless you are planning to use dialup, they should be okay for that out there, at most.

For those on a low income, if you do have to use their service, take advantage of the discount program available to you.

»www.centurylink.com/home/internetbasics/

Comments:
sparky007

Cable TV provider

Does your area have a Cable TV provider?
dw

join:2001-06-21

Re: Cable TV provider

Hello Sparky. Unfortunately there are no Cable TV provider's in this area. The only options for internet connection are a Wi-Fi provider from the neighboring town, satellite or CenturyLink.

Never thought I'd miss Comcast, but I do, lol.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone.

·Vonage

2 edits

Re: Cable TV provider

YEP... Looks like your S.O.L with Century the missing link.

CGI-Communication does service Arizona City. I'm not sure what you can afford, but 1.5 down isn't too expensive..

Who knows.. They might be competitive with Centurylink and offer the same price with internet basics at the same speed as Centurylink. $9.95 at 1.5Mbps.

»www.centurylink.com/assets/pdfs/···r_QW.pdf

»www.cgi-communication.com/CGI/index.html

»www.cgi-communication.com/CGI/re···ess.html

Review by psudox See Profile

• Location: Columbia,Boone,MO
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "My local Centurylink office staff is usually helpful and friendly"
Bad "Speeds are inconsistent and unreliable, despite having excellent line stats."
Overall "Not cheap, not reliable, difficult to get support to recognize problem. Not recommended"

After a door guy came by looking to advertise that VDSL and PrismTV service are now available in my neighborhood I decided to bite. I had been shopping around as my existing ISP was simply unable to provide the bandwidth I wanted. After speaking with the sales person at length about the particulars, I was told that even on just a plain naked 10mbps DSL package, I'd be connected via VDSL. They assured me I'd be able to get 10meg at my address with no problem.

Fast forward 3 days later and I'm picking up my ADSL modem for my 10mbit ADSL self install. This should have been my first clue, when asked about why I was being placed on older technology they told me that's just what they do and if I had problems they'd move me to VDSL. Hmmmmm, not looking go so far.

Fast forward to my install date. Nothing happens. Not a phone call, no DSL service from CenturyLink. I call them, they tell me they can't do anything as my existing internet service is still connected. I should note that my existing service was DSL through another provider. I tried to clarify this with them pre install and they said it'd be fine, and that they'd just activate clink's connection on the outer pair. They didn't. When I called, they argued about it. I gave up and said fine, I will have my existing ISP first disconnect. Scheduled the dates, let everyone know, get it scheduled for a seamless transition. It wasn't. I ended up having to wait an additional 9 days from when I was supposed to be set up on clink to when I was actually set up on clink.

But at least speeds were consistent at 10mbit and billing was as it should be right? No, far from it. I get my first bill and was overcharged by about $50. First was a double installation charge, then the rest was them not discounting a pro-rated month. I was told they don't apply discounts to pro-rated months, but only AFTER I got my first bill. This is a policy that should be made obvious before one commits. Mind you, I picked my original install date as one day before the billing cycle change anyway so it was THEIR fault I went into the next month. I was able to get them to credit but only after going to the local office and complaining.

Then the speed issues started. My loop length is about 300ft and modem stats always looked stellar. After about a month, I started noticing severe loss of speed and latency spikes any time of day other than very early morning 6-8am). Speed tests, streaming, manual file downloads, from many different sites in geographically diverse locations showed speeds hovering around only 2-4mbit/s. I called to complain, they sent out a technician to test the line, etc. Obviously he didn't find any problems and the line still showed to be top notch as always. Eventually they switched me to VDSL, but the technician claimed he wasn't knowledgeable of VDSL and so I ended up having no internet at all for another day and a half while they figured out what they were doing. How the hell can you sell a technology and not inform your techs?! It didn't matter anyway as the speed issues persisted.

About a week after that all of a sudden the issue went away. I could start downloads, streams, speed tests any time of the day and get consistent results around 10mbit/s. Great everything is fixed right? Wrong. About 5 days after that the issues started again. Called yet one more time to complain, was basically told that they saw nothing wrong on their end and shrugged their shoulders at the issue. It should also be noted that around this time I received my second bill, which was also incorrect. I was being charged for an additional modem that I wasn't renting.

TL;DR - Have had clink for about 2 months, neither month was billed correctly, they weren't forthcoming about billing practices or what technology I'd have from the beginning, and I've had consistent speed issues that tech support seems unwilling to address.

If this continues I WILL be canceling and I WILL refuse to pay an ETF as they have NOT upheld their end of the bargain.

Comments:
sparky007

Recording Calls.

I'm not sure what your state laws are, but I would look into recording your calls when dealing with "Century Nolink".

I've dealt with them in the past...

It seams like there average intelligence is basically "ding... fries are done."
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Re: Recording Calls.

Just say: "Hello, Centurylink. This call will be recorded for my benefit and your demise. As, you're recording this as well. Thanks, now lets proceed with this call."
wispalord

join:2007-09-20
Farmington, MO

Re: Recording Calls.

in Missouri only one party needs to know its being recorded so if he know they don't need to

Review by bmccoy See Profile

• Location: Port Orchard,Kitsap,WA
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Decent technical support"
Bad "Slow, unreliable, overpriced, false advertising, neglected network, low (and sneaky) caps"
Overall "VERY slow speeds, and outrageous prices. If you are lucky enough to have a different option, go with it."

·Wave Broadband
I have Centurylink DSL (formerly Qwest) and unlimited nationwide calling, and it costs (after taxes) exactly $98.06 a month. The main problem I have with them is that only 1.5Mbps is available where I live, because they don't want to bother upgrading any of their 90's-era equipment installed by US West and/or install a remote DSLAM. When I got this service many years ago, I was promised that they would be upgrading their equipment to get faster speeds that summer. It's been over 7 years now, and they haven't changed a thing.

UPDATE: Still no upgrades planned, according to Doug Morgan from TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com, so I will be switching to 55Mbps Wave Broadband for faster speeds and TV, while paying the same amount of money. (120.00-month for phone, internet, and basic HDTV)

After complaining to Centurylink for my internet repeatedly dropping out every 10 minutes a few months ago (fixed now), he tried to upsell me DirecTV.

UPDATE 7/9/13:

I switched to cable internet, and it's much better. Phone quality is better, internet is around 13 times faster, with less taxes and hidden fees.

Centurylink wanted to make it as hard as possible to cancel, so we had to sit on the phone for 40 minutes with them (35 minutes on hold). I was DONE with them as soon as they raised their rates, AGAIN, adding another fee, called "Universal Service Fund", which is supposedly to "improve their infrastructure", while I haven't seen them doing anything but getting worse. It's another hidden fee allowed by the FCC for corporations to make more profit. I'm glad I got rid of them.

Speed test (hey, an F+ is better than an F!):

member for 1.4 years, 379 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:
Rob_
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Can you get cable

I'd dump them for cable, Centurylink is horrible. $125.00 is rather steep when you can get Vonage for $12.12 for unlimited North American calling.. (Vonage basic)

If you go to www.whitefence.com you can see what's available in your area.

-Rob

jdb

@centurytel.net

Re: Can you get cable

But with vonage you still need internet access separately. They 'forget' to tell you that...

Re: Can you get cable

And, also, you need a RELIABLE and FAST connection for VoIP, so that would be impossible to use on C/L 1.5.

jdb

@centurytel.net
heh-whitefence shows only century and hughesnet-lol

Apache Junction, AZ
Whitefence.com is nothing but an ad for HughesNet, that's the only thing that always come up and everyone knows it's terrible! C/L is great here but it depends on your location.

Port Orchard, WA
Yep, switching to cable (Wave Broadband), sometime in the next couple weeks.

Re: Can you get cable

BMcCoy, you are going to have even worse problems with cable! They will keep raising the rates every year or maybe every 6 months and will keep doing it even if they can't provide service, until you get disgusted and cancel.
CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

We Can Help

Hi bmccoy, my name is Joey and I'm with the @CenturyLinkHelp team. We want to help look into this for you. We can check to see if there are upgrades scheduled that would allow faster speeds for your DSL service. We can also look at your account pricing since it seems to be a bit high assuming it's a residential connection. We may have a better deal we can offer you. Contact us at TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com. Thanks.

Joey H
@CenturyLinkHelp Team
TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com

Jeanette

@charter.com

Century Link Fraud

We were bundled with Quest since 2005, then Quest sold out to Century Link. During the time we were bundled with Quest and had moved to WA state we noticed a charge on our acct by MSN. We have never used MSN so I called both MSN and Quest and found out that were had been paying for service we had not received. Quest refunded our money for the 18 months that we had payed for. Recently I decided to change to Cable, since our bundle had increased in price over the years. When I printed out our Century link bill, I noticed a charge of 18.95 for MSN on our acct. I notified MSN and was told that it had been happening a lot and they gave me a claim number and I was told that someone would call me. Well after 2 weeks of going back and forth between Century Link and MSN, I am told that neither can refund my money. I had been charged for MSN since Nov 2010.

Re: Century Link Fraud

Jeanette, why didn't you keep track of what you were paying? If you are a sucker then everyone will take advantage of you!

Online again

@clearwire-wmx.net

Qwest/Century Link

I went with qwest/century link 10+ yrs ago, and just last yr. NEVER AGAIN!. Poor speed for price, over-billing, mixed up billing, runarounds, > Collections. Period!. INCOMPETENT!.
They should have their corp. charter revoked.

Re: Qwest/Century Link

Online again, you can't make blanket statements like that. Here in AZ cable is terrible but C/L is reasonably priced and works great after they installed fiber near me so it depends on your location.

Location

Location is everything. If you truly want screaming fast Internet and you are willing to pay for it then move to NYC, Chicago, or LA where you can find 100Mbps or faster- if you are in the right neighborhood. LV will get you 45Mbps if you are in the right location. It should be pretty fast in the alpha cities of SF and Denver - if you are in the right location.

Trying to define rural America is much like trying to herd cats. It's different for everyone. I am rural. I am 160 miles from a large city (million or over population). I've lived in this environment in three states. Areas with less than 500000 don't gain traction with second tier telephone and cable companies. Generally you don't find AT&T or Comcast unless there is a college with 20,000+ students, or there is a large medical/research district and large corporations like State Farm or CAT. Location and volume density is where IT'S at.

FIOS, DSL, 2.5 all have limitations. The screaming fast satellite? The most expensive plan is equal to about 5Mbps in the right location. What they don't tell you is the 4 they promote is over 2.5 and it still has to travel 22,000 miles unless there is a physical building on earth. There is one in the U.S. for Direct TV customers.

Most rural is delivered over copper. The DSL limit over copper is about 7-8/1 because of overhead and the Last Mile. After you pass the mile, speed slows. The farther out, the slower the speed. It is a fact of life; ask any EE. No telco is going to bring FTTH or FTTN to a town of 2000 - even when it is in the local office. It is doubtful that bonded DSL will happen. If you have a reliable phone and steady Internet be happy. If you don't, the phone company can fix it providing your inside wiring is good, there is no problem from the source to your house, and your equipment plays nice with the telco equipment. More often than not it doesn't. Frequent interruptions and rebooting is a red flag. I replaced 5 routers before I found one that worked.

How does telco explain to you your new D-Link router isn't working properly when you know it is? My engineer friend sent me a couple of routers that worked perfectly in Dallas on AT&T and TW. Both were useless on CL where I live in the middle of nowhere. CL 7/1 is faster than AT&T in the three counties that surround me. Comcast is not any faster. It is rural and they all have the same problems with copper and towns that are 10 to 20 miles apart. The fastest business where I live is 15/5 from cable an it is about $175 with tax. I pay $100 less for 7/1 and 5 year lock. It is a major improvement over 4/1. It is steady an the phone is 98% reliable all the time.

Re: Location

I've switched to cable and have been a mostly happy customer ever since. I'm lucky to have a local ISP, and I signed up for the 15/2 plan last year. They now are upgrading their max speeds to 110/10, and upgrading my plan to 55/5 for free.
You're definitely correct, location is what really matters.
The reason your modem probably didn't work is because CenturyLink uses VDSL in most areas (I happen to still have ADSL), so you need a VDSL compatible modem.

Re: Location

As far as I know it is is still ADSL (7/1; it was 4/1) I live in a Faraday's Cage. After the D-Link and the others that only worked for a few weeks each, I bought a ASUS plug n play N router when they first came out. They upgraded modem to Zxytel. No problems since.

I am glad someone understands this because I surely do not. Thank you very much.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

said by ArizonaSteve:

said by ArizonaSteve:

So the first quote you make an obviously "blanket statement" as you call it. Then in the second quote you call someone else out for doing as you do. What gives Steve?
brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ

Re: Location

Cable companies are known for consistent price hikes, even with diminished service (Cox is the main provider in Phoenix metro, and they're terrible for that)

Qwest/US West put FTTN pretty much everywhere here, so CenturyLink's network here is way better than anything Cox could offer a majority of the time.

Although, i've had Insight (best cable co i've ever had), Time Warner, WOW!, Comcast, and Cox and have had the cable internet issues that he's describing on pretty much all of them (except Insight - RIP), and even if you happen to look at cable internet reviews it says pretty much the same thing.

Re: Location

Again, it depends on your location. I happen to have a local cable ISP where I live, and its internet speeds are much better. 110/10 is the highest tier I can get with my new ISP.
brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ

Re: Location

Well here we can get 150/30 from Cox, but CenturyLink also offers 100/40 through pair bonding here if you're close enough to the box.

Cable still generally has congestion issues for many people (especially on systems the cable operator opted to go SDV instead of just doing a plant upgrade to 1GHz)

The only way any ISP should be going at this point is just fiber to the home, but until forced to provide reliable internet service through a common carrier law nothing is going to be done.

Re: Location

I've been using cable for over a year now and have had no congestion issues at all. ArizonaSteve was wrong, it's been around 14 months since I've switched and I was able to get my 12-month promotion renewed for free with my rates staying the same. As I've said before, I'm never switching back until CenturyLink decides to stop severely neglecting their rural customers.

Re: Location

Arizona Steve's assessment may be correct in his area, and your assessment may be just as correct in your area.

In my area neither CL or the local cable WILL provide enough affordable uplink for a reliable VoIP connection. I need a house phone for medical. My only choice is CL's version of DSL over copper that pretends to be POTS except when it is raining, when it is windy, and when some dummy screws up circuits. Trying to convince CL - that never EVER admits to any service related issues - is like trying to backstroke up Niagarah Falls. Here an example.

Yesterday I needed to contact my bank 60 miles away. Fast busy signal. My EE in TX had no trouble calling. The CL executive level employee in CA had no trouble with it. A CL suit was arguing with me until I forced him to listen while a state employee in my house made the call on her cell phone. He heard the bank recording. Only then was my phone fixed.

It took about an hour of my time to convince CL once again the phone does not work properly as promised. This will be a continuing problem in tiny place rural America -- the last town on earth CL wants to service. I will continue to hold their feet on the fire because nothing else works as well as CLs sloppy DSL over copper. Our plant has a 100Mbps "through put" yet only 1.5 is provided outside our tiny town of 2000. There will never be a FTTN or FTTH here because CL does not have to provide any service except a wireline. There is no money in it.
CL does not compete with its sister phone/cable company that shares the same office and same fiber.

My two house phones cost nearly $200 each, and the handicap phone is $400. I have the right equipment for every phone company in America.

Emp

@75.161.160.x
Actually fiber is set out on a grid grid system, back and forth. So your neighbor across the street could be on the right side side and get a 40mb while it loops back around towards you miles down and you only get a 7mb.

Goose15t

@76.1.0.x

Worst customer service ever!

I have century link and it is by far the worst customer service i have had with anything in my life. I have had bad waitresses but they have never been as bad as the service i get from Century Link. I call to upgrade my internet speed and get lied to about what speeds i am suppose to get and what speeds I can upgrade to as far as upload speed. I get it worked out and someone comes to my house to pre-setup for the upgrade. The guy cut my wire to install the new one and had no intention of installing it for me to have internet that day. I was lucky enough that I was present to ask him and make sure I still had internet. He got it back connected but I had to suffer for over a day of less then 1mbps of download and less then .1mbps of upload which is possibly taking you back to the early years of internet. They tried to give me the run around to get that issue fixed, and to top it all off my upgrade was scheduled to be done for today Feb 13th 2014. So I called to confirm a timeframe they were going to be at my house and the response was they scheduled it for the 18th now. When I talked to a supervisor she told me that nothing could be done and that they probably will not be able to install until the end of the month and that the 18th is only a tentative date now. Immediatly i told them I am looking for a new internet service and that I will call them when I have one and will be canceling their services. I recommend that no one I MEAN NO ONE get their internet services at all. It expensive and a huge waste of money.

·Wave Broadband

Re: Worst customer service ever!

100.00 a month for telephone service and 1.5Mbps DSL is a total rip off, IMO. I'm now paying 124.00 a month for much more reliable internet, phone, and even TV. I'm never going back unless CenturyLink makes some huge changes or starts providing FTTH.

Review by suzums See Profile

• Location: Belen,Valencia,NM
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Offers service out in the sticks."
Bad "Regular downtime/outages, surreptitious throttling, generally s**t service, terrible speeds, ridiculously overpriced."
Overall "Terrible."

$90/mo for 12mbps down, 1mbps up. Was promised $20/mo at first signup. Download tests show at 11mbps but never seems to exceed 5-6mbps in real world application, with constant choking and sputtering. Outages seem to occur three or four times a week. Usually short, thankfully, and almost always in the morning hours, but always requiring a modem reboot (which takes 5-10 minutes in itself). Pings in video games used to be an average of around 80ms when we first got service a few years ago, but they've gradually increased and hover around 120ms today. Supplied with a Q1000 wireless modem/router (apparently a leftover from their Qwest acquisition).

CenturyLink HEAVILY throttles Youtube, to the point where videos won't even load 80% of the time.

Pretty much just the worst. Unfortunately they are literally the only ISP in town, so switching to a competitor is not even an option. We're stuck with CenturyLink.

Comments:
sparky007

·Vonage

Century the missing link

You might need a newer modem.. Doesn't matter if it's cable or DSL.. All these modems are made cheaply and in 3rd world countries.

A Cox field rep told me that a modem usually last 3 - 4 years before it starts to have problems like dropping packets and data.

Century the missing link can come out and do a line test and or purchase a new modem and see if speed improves.

Geekster

@97.116.44.x

Re: Century the missing link

Nope, his modem isn't the problem. Whenever a tech from them comes we kept getting new ones. It depends on his location of the modem and the signal that it is giving. Trust me even the old ADSL modems could get 10mbps.

Geekster

@97.116.44.x

Maybe this could help?

First before I start, when you do real application like uploading a file is the file speed like this mbps or MB/S. Because, most applications will show your speed in Mega Bytes (MB), not MegaBits (mb), if this is so, divide your speed by 8, and that's your speed in MB (1.25MB/S). Now, if you're not getting that speed, where is your modem located? The basement? The 2nd floor? One thing about DSL modems, especially CL's is that they suck and have bad signal quality -This is a problem every CL customer deals with is the crappy modems and them constantly being replaced. However, 70% of the time the issue isn't that, it's just it cant give a good enough signal. We got a Netgear Nighthawk router, and they're just amazing. We now, get 37mbps wired and outside our house with that thing.
Depending on where you're Comcast's speeds will always, always, beat the local DSL company and they're reliable. Problem is even 6 mbps is 50 bucks. So we're stuck with CL until some fiber brand, like
US Internet, which is just up in MPLS a few minutes away that offers 1gbps for 100 or so bucks.

If none of this helps tell me more and I'll look into this

Review by Panthergm1 See Profile

• Location: Salt Lake City,Salt Lake,UT
Good "Pre Sales Was Excellent. Bundling with Directv Option"
Bad "Can't Even get Promised speeds. Upload is good, download is awful"
Overall "If I had the choice I would go with comcast."

We Ordered the 40 down and 5 up package at a promotional rate for 12 months. Pre-Sales was good. Having to wait for 2 weeks before it would be activated was kind of annoying. Was just happy to get something faster then 1 Mbps down. When Service went live We were getting 40 Mbps down 5 Mbps up. 3 days later I checked it again, and it was not even 10 Mbps down. I have checked it several times over the past couple weeks the highest I have seen is 10 Mbps down, and 5 Mbps up. The upload is surprisingly good but download is not even 25% of what we are supposed to be getting. I bought the C1000A Modem at a local best buy. we told the sales rep not to send us a modem but they did anyway. Why, I don't know. The other thing that really irritates me is every time we power cycle the modem it looses it's ip address. called and asked if they would offer a Static IP and was told we would have to upgrade to a business package, and it would be an additional 20 dollars a month. When I have had Comcast in the past, the IP was Dynamic, but it wouldn't change unless the modem was offline for an extended period of time. (Several hours or days) with Centurystink if the modem is rebooted for 30 seconds it changes IP. Extremely annoying. If you have another option and want promised speeds, I suggest going with your local cable operator.

Comments:

Review by xthepeoplesx See Profile

• Location: Galena,Delaware,OH
Good "They say they will eventually upgrade my area..."
Bad "Service is horrific, always some kind of Bandwidth exhaust."
Overall "The only reason you should have CenturyLink is if there are no other options."

Seriously, there is no reason to have this company unless you literally have no other options.

member for 303 days, 194 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by flees See Profile

• Location: Guin,Marion,AL
Bad "Bad!"

Been with this company for 7 years straight. 10 years off and on. Called a couple days ago to cancel my services, was advised by their very rude customer service that i was under a contract that was poorly explained to begin with. In light, its 2 months from the contract being up. They want me to pay them 150$ to have it disconnected, even tho it will cost them customer in the future and boy am i going to tell how good their company was to me. Needless to say, i will keep the service until the 2 months is up and cancel it then. NEVER AGAIN WILL I DO BUSINESS with CENTURYLINK! It was clearly a move of desperation to keep a customer. Instead they lost one forever and I will make it my mission to get people away from their company! Terrible, terrible, customer service. Some of the worst i have ever had and i have 5 years exp in the field myself. Shame on you Centurylink! I hope cable runs ya'll slap out of business!