CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by schimmy See Profile

• Location: Castle Rock,Douglas,CO
Good "Not much"
Bad "Poor customer service, lack of understading of neighborhood setup"
Overall "They make every excuse in the book of why I can't get faster service"

I use to have Comcast Internet and Cable and a few years ago switched to DirecTV and Centurylink Internet. During this time, the fastest speed I could get at my house was 7mbps down and 896kb up. They promised faster speeds in my neighborhood as an upgrade was scheduled within 6 months.

Well after a year later, I still did not have faster speeds. I started to do some research and noticed that every single street in my neighborhood could get 40mbps down and a somewhat decent speed up. I started calling Centurylink and after 6 months, I heard every excuse in the book of why I can't get faster service except the actual reason of they forgot to upgrade the box that services the four houses in my cul-de-sac. Since they refused to take a look at it and said that I would never be upgraded for speeds, I canceled the service at the end of summer 2013.

When I canceled the service, they provided me with a UPS label to return my modem. Almost three months after sending it and thinking everything was OK, I got a bill saying I never returned the modem. I had confirmation from multiple people at Centurlink that it was returned and that I should ignore the charge, I then received a letter from a collections agency. Spent almost a full year fighting that charge even though every time I called, they said they reversed the charge.

From looking online, it appears I can get up to 20mbps now but they refuse to show me the upload speed online so it leave me to believe it's still around the 896kbps range.

I know they just launched their TV service in my neighborhood but when the sales person came to my door, I asked them about the internet speeds and they saw on their list that the four houses in my cul-de-sac may not be eligible because of slow internet speeds and what was weird that it was only our four houses that had this issue and the rest of the neighborhood was fine....

Since Centurylink took over Qwest, the customer service has been horrible. At least when it was Qwest, I could talk to a local tech about the setup but with Centurylink, they refuse to allow you to talk to the local tech office that actually works in your town...

Until they finally admit to their laziness and finish the upgrade they promises, I will not return to them.

Comments:

Review by bmccoy See Profile

• Location: Port Orchard,Kitsap,WA
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Decent technical support"
Bad "Slow, unreliable, overpriced, false advertising, neglected network, low (and sneaky) caps"
Overall "VERY slow speeds, and outrageous prices. If you are lucky enough to have a different option, go with it."

·Wave Broadband
I have Centurylink DSL (formerly Qwest) and unlimited nationwide calling, and it costs (after taxes) exactly $98.06 a month. The main problem I have with them is that only 1.5Mbps is available where I live, because they don't want to bother upgrading any of their 90's-era equipment installed by US West and/or install a remote DSLAM. When I got this service many years ago, I was promised that they would be upgrading their equipment to get faster speeds that summer. It's been over 7 years now, and they haven't changed a thing.

UPDATE: Still no upgrades planned, according to Doug Morgan from TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com, so I will be switching to Wave Broadband for 55Mbps internet, TV, and phone service, while paying only $20.00/month more. ($120.00-month for phone, internet, and basic HDTV).

Their technical support tries to upsell you more services when the services you already have don't work.

UPDATE 7/9/13:

I switched to cable internet, and it's much better. Phone quality is better, internet is around 22 times faster, with less taxes and hidden fees.

Centurylink wanted to make it as hard as possible to cancel, so we had to sit on the phone for 40 minutes with them (35 minutes on hold). I was DONE with them as soon as they raised their rates, AGAIN, adding another fee, called "Universal Service Fund", which is supposedly to "improve their infrastructure", while I haven't seen them doing anything but getting worse. It's another hidden fee allowed by the FCC for corporations to make more profit. I'm glad I got rid of them.

UPDATE 1/17/2015:

CenturyLink has installed their standard "CoolPed Plus" and has strung fiber in my neighborhood, so VDSL or at least ADSL2+ may finally be coming. I'm not going to switch back, though, since I live too far from the remote DSLAM to get fast internet.

Speed test (hey, an F+ is better than an F!):

member for 1.8 years, 634 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Rob_
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Can you get cable

I'd dump them for cable, Centurylink is horrible. $125.00 is rather steep when you can get Vonage for $12.12 for unlimited North American calling.. (Vonage basic)

If you go to www.whitefence.com you can see what's available in your area.

-Rob

jdb

@centurytel.net

Re: Can you get cable

But with vonage you still need internet access separately. They 'forget' to tell you that...

Re: Can you get cable

And, also, you need a RELIABLE and FAST connection for VoIP, so that would be impossible to use on C/L 1.5.

jdb

@centurytel.net
heh-whitefence shows only century and hughesnet-lol

1 recommendation

Whitefence.com is nothing but an ad for HughesNet, that's the only thing that always come up and everyone knows it's terrible! C/L is great here but it depends on your location.

Port Orchard, WA
Yep, switching to cable (Wave Broadband), sometime in the next couple weeks.

Re: Can you get cable

BMcCoy, you are going to have even worse problems with cable! They will keep raising the rates every year or maybe every 6 months and will keep doing it even if they can't provide service, until you get disgusted and cancel.
CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

We Can Help

Hi bmccoy, my name is Joey and I'm with the @CenturyLinkHelp team. We want to help look into this for you. We can check to see if there are upgrades scheduled that would allow faster speeds for your DSL service. We can also look at your account pricing since it seems to be a bit high assuming it's a residential connection. We may have a better deal we can offer you. Contact us at TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com. Thanks.

Joey H
@CenturyLinkHelp Team
TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com

Jeanette

@charter.com

Century Link Fraud

We were bundled with Quest since 2005, then Quest sold out to Century Link. During the time we were bundled with Quest and had moved to WA state we noticed a charge on our acct by MSN. We have never used MSN so I called both MSN and Quest and found out that were had been paying for service we had not received. Quest refunded our money for the 18 months that we had payed for. Recently I decided to change to Cable, since our bundle had increased in price over the years. When I printed out our Century link bill, I noticed a charge of 18.95 for MSN on our acct. I notified MSN and was told that it had been happening a lot and they gave me a claim number and I was told that someone would call me. Well after 2 weeks of going back and forth between Century Link and MSN, I am told that neither can refund my money. I had been charged for MSN since Nov 2010.

Re: Century Link Fraud

Jeanette, why didn't you keep track of what you were paying? If you are a sucker then everyone will take advantage of you!

Online again

@clearwire-wmx.net

Qwest/Century Link

I went with qwest/century link 10+ yrs ago, and just last yr. NEVER AGAIN!. Poor speed for price, over-billing, mixed up billing, runarounds, > Collections. Period!. INCOMPETENT!.
They should have their corp. charter revoked.

Re: Qwest/Century Link

Online again, you can't make blanket statements like that. Here in AZ cable is terrible but C/L is reasonably priced and works great after they installed fiber near me so it depends on your location.

Location

Location is everything. If you truly want screaming fast Internet and you are willing to pay for it then move to NYC, Chicago, or LA where you can find 100Mbps or faster- if you are in the right neighborhood. LV will get you 45Mbps if you are in the right location. It should be pretty fast in the alpha cities of SF and Denver - if you are in the right location.

Trying to define rural America is much like trying to herd cats. It's different for everyone. I am rural. I am 160 miles from a large city (million or over population). I've lived in this environment in three states. Areas with less than 500000 don't gain traction with second tier telephone and cable companies. Generally you don't find AT&T or Comcast unless there is a college with 20,000+ students, or there is a large medical/research district and large corporations like State Farm or CAT. Location and volume density is where IT'S at.

FIOS, DSL, 2.5 all have limitations. The screaming fast satellite? The most expensive plan is equal to about 5Mbps in the right location. What they don't tell you is the 4 they promote is over 2.5 and it still has to travel 22,000 miles unless there is a physical building on earth. There is one in the U.S. for Direct TV customers.

Most rural is delivered over copper. The DSL limit over copper is about 7-8/1 because of overhead and the Last Mile. After you pass the mile, speed slows. The farther out, the slower the speed. It is a fact of life; ask any EE. No telco is going to bring FTTH or FTTN to a town of 2000 - even when it is in the local office. It is doubtful that bonded DSL will happen. If you have a reliable phone and steady Internet be happy. If you don't, the phone company can fix it providing your inside wiring is good, there is no problem from the source to your house, and your equipment plays nice with the telco equipment. More often than not it doesn't. Frequent interruptions and rebooting is a red flag. I replaced 5 routers before I found one that worked.

How does telco explain to you your new D-Link router isn't working properly when you know it is? My engineer friend sent me a couple of routers that worked perfectly in Dallas on AT&T and TW. Both were useless on CL where I live in the middle of nowhere. CL 7/1 is faster than AT&T in the three counties that surround me. Comcast is not any faster. It is rural and they all have the same problems with copper and towns that are 10 to 20 miles apart. The fastest business where I live is 15/5 from cable an it is about $175 with tax. I pay $100 less for 7/1 and 5 year lock. It is a major improvement over 4/1. It is steady an the phone is 98% reliable all the time.

Re: Location

I've switched to cable and have been a mostly happy customer ever since. I'm lucky to have a local ISP, and I signed up for the 15/2 plan last year. They now are upgrading their max speeds to 110/10, and upgrading my plan to 55/5 for free.
You're definitely correct, location is what really matters.
The reason your modem probably didn't work is because CenturyLink uses VDSL in most areas (I happen to still have ADSL), so you need a VDSL compatible modem.

Re: Location

As far as I know it is is still ADSL (7/1; it was 4/1) I live in a Faraday's Cage. After the D-Link and the others that only worked for a few weeks each, I bought a ASUS plug n play N router when they first came out. They upgraded modem to Zxytel. No problems since.

I am glad someone understands this because I surely do not. Thank you very much.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

said by ArizonaSteve:

said by ArizonaSteve:

So the first quote you make an obviously "blanket statement" as you call it. Then in the second quote you call someone else out for doing as you do. What gives Steve?
brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ

Re: Location

Cable companies are known for consistent price hikes, even with diminished service (Cox is the main provider in Phoenix metro, and they're terrible for that)

Qwest/US West put FTTN pretty much everywhere here, so CenturyLink's network here is way better than anything Cox could offer a majority of the time.

Although, i've had Insight (best cable co i've ever had), Time Warner, WOW!, Comcast, and Cox and have had the cable internet issues that he's describing on pretty much all of them (except Insight - RIP), and even if you happen to look at cable internet reviews it says pretty much the same thing.

Re: Location

Again, it depends on your location. I happen to have a local cable ISP where I live, and its internet speeds are much better. 110/10 is the highest tier I can get with my new ISP.
brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ

Re: Location

Well here we can get 150/30 from Cox, but CenturyLink also offers 100/40 through pair bonding here if you're close enough to the box.

Cable still generally has congestion issues for many people (especially on systems the cable operator opted to go SDV instead of just doing a plant upgrade to 1GHz)

The only way any ISP should be going at this point is just fiber to the home, but until forced to provide reliable internet service through a common carrier law nothing is going to be done.

Re: Location

I've been using cable for over a year now and have had no congestion issues at all. ArizonaSteve was wrong, it's been around 14 months since I've switched and I was able to get my 12-month promotion renewed for free with my rates staying the same. As I've said before, I'm never switching back until CenturyLink decides to stop severely neglecting their rural customers.

Re: Location

Arizona Steve's assessment may be correct in his area, and your assessment may be just as correct in your area.

In my area neither CL or the local cable WILL provide enough affordable uplink for a reliable VoIP connection. I need a house phone for medical. My only choice is CL's version of DSL over copper that pretends to be POTS except when it is raining, when it is windy, and when some dummy screws up circuits. Trying to convince CL - that never EVER admits to any service related issues - is like trying to backstroke up Niagarah Falls. Here an example.

Yesterday I needed to contact my bank 60 miles away. Fast busy signal. My EE in TX had no trouble calling. The CL executive level employee in CA had no trouble with it. A CL suit was arguing with me until I forced him to listen while a state employee in my house made the call on her cell phone. He heard the bank recording. Only then was my phone fixed.

It took about an hour of my time to convince CL once again the phone does not work properly as promised. This will be a continuing problem in tiny place rural America -- the last town on earth CL wants to service. I will continue to hold their feet on the fire because nothing else works as well as CLs sloppy DSL over copper. Our plant has a 100Mbps "through put" yet only 1.5 is provided outside our tiny town of 2000. There will never be a FTTN or FTTH here because CL does not have to provide any service except a wireline. There is no money in it.
CL does not compete with its sister phone/cable company that shares the same office and same fiber.

My two house phones cost nearly $200 each, and the handicap phone is $400. I have the right equipment for every phone company in America.

Emp

@75.161.160.x
Actually fiber is set out on a grid grid system, back and forth. So your neighbor across the street could be on the right side side and get a 40mb while it loops back around towards you miles down and you only get a 7mb.

Goose15t

@76.1.0.x

Worst customer service ever!

I have century link and it is by far the worst customer service i have had with anything in my life. I have had bad waitresses but they have never been as bad as the service i get from Century Link. I call to upgrade my internet speed and get lied to about what speeds i am suppose to get and what speeds I can upgrade to as far as upload speed. I get it worked out and someone comes to my house to pre-setup for the upgrade. The guy cut my wire to install the new one and had no intention of installing it for me to have internet that day. I was lucky enough that I was present to ask him and make sure I still had internet. He got it back connected but I had to suffer for over a day of less then 1mbps of download and less then .1mbps of upload which is possibly taking you back to the early years of internet. They tried to give me the run around to get that issue fixed, and to top it all off my upgrade was scheduled to be done for today Feb 13th 2014. So I called to confirm a timeframe they were going to be at my house and the response was they scheduled it for the 18th now. When I talked to a supervisor she told me that nothing could be done and that they probably will not be able to install until the end of the month and that the 18th is only a tentative date now. Immediatly i told them I am looking for a new internet service and that I will call them when I have one and will be canceling their services. I recommend that no one I MEAN NO ONE get their internet services at all. It expensive and a huge waste of money.

·Wave Broadband

Re: Worst customer service ever!

100.00 a month for telephone service and 1.5Mbps DSL is a total rip off, IMO. I'm now paying 124.00 a month for much more reliable internet, phone, and even TV. I'm never going back unless CenturyLink makes some huge changes or starts providing FTTH.

Review by Styro See Profile

• Location: Lake Charles,Calcasieu,LA
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "We get a little above half of our "
Bad "Connection and ping times fluctuate greatly. Terrible during evening hours(after 5) until midnight. No longer support fastpath."
Overall "I haven't used CenturyLink fiber. It might be okay, but their DSL is terrible. I'd chose any other company for internet."

My family has had CenturyLink/Centurytel for years starting with their phone service. We've began with their 1.5Mbps service and sedately worked our way up to the “Up to 10 Mbps” service. We get a max download of about 6 Mbps and a max upload of about 0.5 Mbps, which is understandable with our distance from the DSLAM.

There are several problems with CenturyLink DSL, at least in my area.

1) Download bandwidth fluctuates from 6 Mbps to less than 2 Mbps during evening hours.

2) Ping times also fluctuate during the same times.

3) Our ping never averages less than 80 ms from my router to the DSLAM.

4) They don't “support” changing the line mode from interleaved to fastpath anymore.

Several months ago, I called the CenturyLink support line to see if I could change my line mode from interleaved to fastpath. (Doing so will decrease ping time from the modem to the DSLAM greatly). A tech didn't know what I was talking about, but he happily found someone that did. The engineer remote logged into our local DSLAM and made the change. My pings dropped enormously. On interleaved: ~120ms ping to google.com. On fastpath: ~35ms ping to google.com. Most of our latency issues were caused at the DSLAM.

Fast forward several months. I noticed my ping times were high again, so I did a trace route and some ping tests. Guess what? 70-120ms ping between the modem and DSLAM again. Checked the modem's Transceiver statistics page and Centurylink has placed us back on Interleaved. Started up a help chat on Centurylink's website. The rep didn't have access to the DSLAM (but he did know what I was talking about, which was a plus). The rep gave me a phone number to call, so I did. The next rep had no idea what I was talking about but he was patient and tried to find someone that did. After about five minutes of waiting, his manager told him that CenturyLink no longer allows customers to switch to Fastpath, even though it helped my connection greatly.

The only two ISP's (besides satellite) around our home are CenturyLink DSL and Suddenlink Cable. I would have switched years ago but the Suddenlink feeder line ends one utility pole away from my home, and it would cost us a little over two thousand dollars for them to add our home to their cable network. (We are the last house on the street, and they would have to add an amplifier/plant and most likely have to bury the cable). CenturyLink charges us $50 a month for “up to 10 Mbps” (we get about 6 Mbps to 2 Mbps depending on the time) and suddenlink charges $45 a month for 50 Mbps in my area.

For DSL service, CenturyLink is not who you want.

Comments:

Noah

@centurylink.net

Do not chose Centurylink

Centurylink is the WORST company I have ever dealt with…I work from home and my internet is my life. Not only are they unable to answer the simplest questions (each time I call in I get a different answer) but the stories they do tell are flat out lies. They have cost me money and time…and when I ask for a supervisor I am told they do not do that….I can speak to their escalations department which again lies to me. All I wanted to do is cancel my prism TV service and retain my internet, which again is my work…but its been two weeks and still not completed. They lied about contracts, they lied about their internet service, and they lied about their ability to fix my issues. Oh….and they do not work Sundays, half day Saturdays, and close at 8PM on weekdays…even if they are transferring you to another department…they will lie and transfer you than a message comes up and tells you to call back tomorrow. I will be posting this message on every blog I find for Centurylink, and I will re-post it when they take it down. Centurylink is terrible and DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM…I have a lot of time to do this since I am unable to work now…

Review by targren9 See Profile

• Location: Fort Myers,Lee,FL
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "They're not Comcast"
Bad "Poor reliability, poor speed, high cost"
Overall "What I wouldn't give for a third option."

Since it's been over a decade since my original install, the Install coordination score is based on the fact that, three times in 2 years, my static IP was changed with no notification and re-assigned to another customer, leading to multi-day outages every time. That is, to my mind, solid evidence of a lack of coordination.

No longer on a static IP due to the fee hike, I'm now on an "upgraded" 10Mb connection on which I'm lucky to see 8Mb on a speed test or 3Mb in actual usage, with constant (frequently hourly) tiny, 1-3 minute outages, even after replacing all internal equipment. Tech support has been unable to solve the mysterious problem that has been going on for the better part of 3 (almost 4) months.

The equipment I was sold (p5100z router/modem) was buggy and unreliable, first not holding settings properly (falling out of "bridged" mode whenever the modem was reset by a power failure or brownout) and finally not connecting at all, even in the default "router" mode.

The worst part of it is that that I've been with them long enough to go from giving them my ardent endorsement, to the current state where quality and service have degraded to the point that I still have my account only because Comcast is the only alternative.

Comments:

Naplesfl

@comcast.net

You Might not need static

Try dyndns.org. Get s free address there and it will follow you to each IP address you have or get. I run servers for businesses that way. In short don't use numbers.
targren9

join:2010-10-04
Fort Myers, FL

Re: You Might not need static

I know how dynamic DNS works, that wasn't the point. The point was that the service has been degrading ever since I was moved into the dynamic IP pool.

Review by Tweak3d See Profile

• Location: Bennington,Switzerland,IN
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "I will get back to you on this one."
Bad "speed, ping, support, price, monopoly, lie, cheat, steal."
Overall "Would rather have a sex change operation by a sawzall."

·Charter
Update 11-10-2014:
Moved from Centurylink monopoly area and disconnected service. They were going to charge me an E.T.F. but I quickly pointed out that I notified them of my moving before "the contract" was put into effect. I also pointed that they had no legal ground to stand on cause they could not provide me with anything concrete that would hold up in court (No signature, no verbal authorization plus they do not offer service where I now live). I kept asking for supervisors and on the 3rd supervisor...problem solved, No E.T.F.
Ok for the super bad...3meg down. = about $65. Now, I am on Charter cable...60meg down for $40.
Get with the program DSL companies, your internet access is not worth all that.

Update 4-15-2013:
Well my connection has improved. AND IT ONLY TOOK SLIGHTLY OVER 2 YEARS! It is still unsatisfactory at high usage times with ping rates too high for gaming. The download consistency is much better but still not steady. They dropped my service from 3.0 down to 1.5 down. They also dropped the price though.

HOWEVER: I would never recommend this service provider to anyone. Heck, I went back to mailing letters and chatting with people face to face instead of using IMs.

If you have another choice... weigh the options!

Update 8-16-2012:
Latest word: Still no definite date for finishing the fiber upgrade. Hopefully the BBB can help me out. I hope everyone will call the BBB and lodge complaints against a company that continually delivers a sub-standard product and expects to be paid for it. Kinda like bouncing a check... theft by deception.

Update 8-9-2012:
Still Crap. 23 months I have been dealing with issues related to this ISP. That is just absurd. Finally filed a complaint with BBB. Honestly I would rather have my genitals smashed with a hammer repeatedly than deal with the jokers at Century link one more time.

Update 6-18-2012:
The fiber has been in the ground for months, but the equipment was delayed. I was told that there would be a difference in the next 4 to 6 weeks.
I already notice that my speed is normal (3.0M) for 3 sec and then almost 0 kbps for 12 sec during peak hours. That is up from less than 1 meg on same time frame.
Latency still is a big issue with me because I play World of Tanks game online.

In my anger I refused to pay them full price for the service. But I felt a little guilty so I worked it out to where I only paid $25 a month for disappointing service, but meh, it'll get better.

But I am here to say, through ALL of the trouble, I did get some good tech people and some idiots. I talked to some good people in billing and some complete jackasses (your supervisor please!), but when I think about it, the hundred phone calls were quite fun. Start talking TCP forced idle time, route consistency, and they get confused and say, "We don't support ping. We only support speed." Which they could not support either.

But soon they might be able to. I will update in 4-6 weeks. (When the upgrade is supposed to be done.)

Thanks for the update Trent P. That is what I want from with companies that I deal with, to be inside the loop on a resolution to my specific problem. Not a specific date, just a window of hope.

Original Post:
I have had this service for over 2 years. Problem after problem. NID, DSLAM, Line problems up the street, bandwidth exhaust, uneducated tech support (50/50) I did get some good ones occasionally.
I documented every problem, call, and payment, when it come time to get a credit, I have never had an issue. (Only paid 24.99 so far in 2012, and that was for Dec 2011)
I refuse to pay for internet that is sub-standard and this is by far sub standard.
3meg down, during peak hours... .2 meg down or about 1/15th my provisioned speed and pings as high as 999ms. Terrible for gaming.

The problem keeps getting worse.

They promise it will be all better once fiber is installed in a few weeks.
I hope so, but after reading so much bad about CL, I am not so sure now. *sigh*

Comments:
kinco

join:2005-06-02
Cardington, OH

Hi

I recently went through the same problems as the reviewer. After about 2 years, 100+ (literally) calls, 4-5 field tech visits to the home, 5 modems and countless hard resets/power cycles performed, they finally effing fixed it. Just be patient, nag the fuck out of them and hope for the best. If that doesn't work and there's no other ISP in your area.....move or live with it. Those are literally your only options .

Fiber should work great.

I don't understand how they could put in fiber and not have it work well. I could never get any sort of internet service at my house before except dial up and the old phone lines were too long for DSL until a new fiber network was put in. It goes down the main street only about 100 yds. from my house so I was able to get it installed here. I though all they would have to do was connect my phone line and there were 2 old lines coming to the house but they didn't go to anything and appeared to have been cut and used for something else in the past so they ran a new line from the house all the way down the alley to the new network and it works great! I signed up for the 20Mb service and it consistently measures 18Mb or so and is rock solid so I'm very pleased with it. There was an outage once when a thunderstorm had lightning that damaged the line coming in and I had to replace the entire cable from the junction box outside all the way in to the box on the wall and even the cord going from the box to the modem but otherwise I haven't really had any problems.

Review by albar162 See Profile

• Location: Cape Coral,Lee,FL
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Picture Quality when working"
Bad "Technicians"
Overall "If you order centurylink ask for senior tech for install"

I ordered Centurylinks Preferred Pkg for Cable/unlimited Phone and 10megs internet as that was highest available to me.

Now as for install it went horrible, initial installer needed two others to help figure out install and were here for 4 -6 hours. I also want to note the @$% left some of his tools here and would not come back to get them !!!! My service from that point was not good the filter went bad in a matter of days and in the first three months I went thru three wired boxes, which means yes all dvr'd shows were lost 3 times besides the fact tv was barely watchable due to either picture freezing or sound loss requiring restart of system. I am now in my 6th month of service and just recently had a senior tech out(had to ask for one) due to chronic pixelation issues with my tv line and crackling of phone line besides the fact a few days earlier I had called for the same problem and they came out looked at outside wire and left never contacting me at all. Also just to note after sub contractor came out to bury cable, he never backfilled cable from pole to house I had to do it !!!!!

Modem is a Centurylink C2000T, wired cable box is IPH8005 and wireless box is ISB7005

The good experience is the last visit with senior tech that seems to have fixed all my problems .... so far? The bad experience has been the fact not once did anyone offer any kind of reimbursement for all time lost over the first six months of service except a $10.00 credit for bad install lmao I have spent over $1000.00 on a service that was piss poor at best with numerous tech visits that left me in doubt that they have very many competent technicians here in SW Florida.

Comments:

linicx

Oh Yeah...

I did the same dance with this company in another state for about three years. When I tired of the constant phone problems I called my state utility commission, and got some relief. My second complaint for the same problem with the phone got the best results. The phone was removed from the Internet line. Both phone and net behave 1000 times better than before.

I have one of the worst Zytel modems made but it works for me. I can't complain with a steady 10/1, but it is starting to show signs of oversold lines somewhere in the system. I'm having the same problems with my phone again, too.

Review by OOMJR See Profile

• Location: Avilla,Noble,IN
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "It's good if you work 2nd or 3rd shift. Forget 8pm to 12 EST time. It's slow and packet loss.."
Bad "They will seem to notice an issue but if it's not a big enough issue just forget it."
Overall "I've been with this company for years, only reason is it's the only service in my area."

10/27/14

Internal ticket is still being thrown around. I've been doing smoke pings to my modem and when the issues arise at night the latency of the graphs also rise.

Latency increases, bandwidth drops... I've done A LOT of tests and they still can't figure what's actually happening. I'm going to do one more night of testing on 10/29/14 and then I'm done. I'll give it a couple more weeks. If this situation doesn't get fixed soon I'm going to have to approach this issue another way. I'm looking to write my congressman and the president of CL. My Verizon 4G connection works better and I pay the same amount. If I didn't have a data cap on my phone now I would be back to using it as my internet source.

9/8/14 Update

Soooo...........

I got a internal ticket started, which escalated to the field tech ticket. Field tech closed his ticket showing no issues. The internal ticket was closed with no resolution. I called and they said it was closed but there wasn't any reason why. I called back again and got Andy on the phone. He emailed some people above. He wasn't going to be in the office for a few days so he would call me back on 9/7 by 2pm. He called 9/7 at 1:40ish and updated me. The email he received was regarding slow speeds and was effecting me area. He said they have a resolution day on 9/11 and the start of the repair would be 9/10. So just a couple day until that happens. He said to call back if this doesn't fix the issue... I'm crossing me fingers. Once this is fixed I'm hoping I can get some sort of credit. Evening internet use is useless. Speedtests aren't horrible 19-25 down and always 2 up but they said this fluctuation can cause streaming issues... I still think it's a routing issue within CL...

I'm going to email Joey and see if he can get some info for me in an email format.

9/2/14 Update

I have had Bonded 25/2 ADSL2+ for a half year now. It's new in my area, so let's say I'm a test subject.

After months of conditioning line pairs and doing numerous tests, the connection holds true to 25/2 with 0-10 FEC RS every 30 seconds... BUT there is always a catch with Centurylink.

In evening hours, I can run tests speeds showing 25/2 with 30-40 latency BUT all streaming services are degraded. My wife can watch anything during the afternoon without hiccups but once 8pm rolls around the service is only good for playing games. I can't run a 720p youtube video. I can't stream HD or Super HD on any device(PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, Galaxy S5).

My local tech has worked his boots off to get this service to run great but not I'm in a haze now. I'm not sure who is to blame because during this time the speedtests still check ok at around 25/2 with low latency.

Netflix isn't any help. Youtube brings up a prompt asking if I'm having issues streaming. Click on it and it shows that Centurylink doesn't do well at all during evening hours compared to MediaCom(Which they show as HD Certified, Centurylink isn't) and advises me to play 480p resolution to avoid interruption!

I thought it was the Wifi, but once I got on the PC and saw it was doing the same my heart sank. I knew I was getting back into the boxing ring against these companies.

To end this part of the review... My local tech has been great but the corporate side has been crap.

I'm paying around $74 a month for 25/2 and I can't watch Netflix or Youtube during the evening without re buffering every 30 seconds... It's a outrage at the price I pay.

12/31/13 Update

Internet is back to a stable state. 10 down and .78 up at all times with 35ms to the closest speedtest server in Michigan.

Good news is they just tested and confirmed Bonded 25/2 which will get installed this Friday afternoon(1/3/14). Since the last post they have installed another 5000 shelf that has 2 gige connections, this will be used to handle the Bonded connections in the area. 5000ft or closer only qualify. I'm at 4500ft. I'll post stats and tests of a before and after on this review plus on a forum thread I've made a while back.

»centurylink Avilla,IN bad again. Fixed 1st time by FCC

9/20/13 Update

Back again to 70+ ping and 1-3 down on CL tests. Speedtest.net is showing 70 ping with 1 down and .76 up. Pingtest.net is showing 80ms with 90 jitter when on a good day it's 14ms with 0-1 jitter. Sync rates are in great standing. IHD team still emailing engineers but haven't heard back from them. Got a pathetic credit 28$ credit on my 45$ bill. They won't fully credit my account cause it's not bad all the time just when it's busy. Congestion resolution time is 11-15-13... So about two more months. Pathetic. I'm letting it go till then. If nothing changes I might be dropping service and just tether my 4GLTE cell phone that has unlimited data. Rage mode right now.

I suggest avoiding there services if you can and wait till they get things fixed. Wait till you see a good amount of updated good reviews 1st.

8/12/13 Update

Waiting for a response from IHD team. Last night was by far the worse. 2-4 down with 300+ ping. Patience is running dry and every time I touch the internet in anyway it just frustrates me more. So I've been avoiding it all for now and letting CL do their job.

8/8/13 Update

Well, I think the loss balance is effecting me again. Back to how it was in June. Slow at peak hours with high latency. Pretty much worthless again. Emailed my contacts multiple times and no one higher up ,including TalkToUs , is responding back. Pretty upset with it all. Wish there was a different provider up here....

8/6/13 Update

After a balance issue between two near by cities the internet was running fine until the outage on Aug 1st, 2nd. After which the internet was slow and unstable until 8/5/13. It now is running full throttle at 13 ms ping to chicago and 10 down .78 up. As of now I'm happy but I'm hesitant to say I will be forever. Things will happen again, I'm certain.

Support is good if you can weave yourself into the correct #'s. Took me a few phone calls to find the right person to talk to. I know have 3 contacts I can email on the issue that by passes the 24/7 line and chats.

Thanks

Matt

5/8/13 Update

So... Supposedly... The CO supervisor, local tech and his managers are in contact via email with corporate. The fix would consist of moving some DSLAMS to a different rack. They have 3 racks, each can hold 3 DSLAMS, one not being used, one used for 6Mbps or lower and one for 10Mbps. The 10Mbps rack is at 98% capacity at night and they don't see the issue at the 24/7 line, not sure if they can. Each rack is also connected to a gigE fiber line.

Waiting game and contacting them each day for updates.

4/30/13 Update

Check out my test history »/testhistory/1782576/cba7a . During peak hours the line quality tests fail due to packet loss. After peak hours the test works ok but there is packet loss. My connection from my Modem to the DSLAM is 8ms. After the DSLAM that's where the issues are. It's on their end and they can't except that very easily. Took me a 48minute call to the 24/7 line to get this through their head. Their finally looking into the issue.

The Central Office is one street west of my house and this morning there was a Centurylink Van there along with a normal pedestrian car(employee?)

.7 to 10 Down during peak hours(5-12:30) .4-.6 Up. Ping of 100+ to 500.

I can usually ping at 30ms and have 10 down and .78 up to chicago.

Yahoo.com times out on pings and traceroutes.

Google.com pings at at least 130ms.

After peak hours it seems to be testing ok but I'm not home to use it... I work 8-5.

This will be the 2nd time I've had ping/bandwidth issues in my area. The first time around phone support and chat wasn't helping so I filed a FCC complaint. They gave me a new modem for free and fix the issue. If came back about a week later and I was offered a tech's direct number. He went out and switch me to a newer card at the Central Office. This fixed the issues until 4/28/13. I seem to be back where I was before. I'm guessing it's a bad card or they are having packet loss on their end. I called the tech and he doesn't work in my area anymore so he wasn't of any help. I called the 24/7 service line and they said I had to average 300ms ping with low bandwidth for them to issue it as an actual problem. I kept on them and they said they would look into it. Put me on hold a couple times to talk to a 3rd party company(that I assumes monitors and remotely fixes issues). They said they would see if they could remotely fix the issue and if this wasn't possible they would send a tech out. The window of the issue getting fixed is 24-48 hours. I'm expecting this to be done within this given time line. If it isn't I will be filing my second FCC complaint against the company, which I don't want to do but I don't like getting horrible service and paying for it.

-Matthew Raupfer

1-23-12 Update

After about 6 months of service my package 10Mbps down and 860Kbps up has become a horrible experience. I'm getting "the engineers are working to resolve the bandwidth issue in your area" line for the last 4 months... I can't get my 10 down anymore at anytime and during peak afternoon/evening hours I will range from .6 down to 1Mbps. My upload usually stays around 860Kbps. I've contacted Joey once again about the issue and a local store about it. Waiting for replies right now. Online chat hasn't helped one bit with the issue.

Ordered 10Mbps/896Kbps

1st day it was installed was able to ping Chicago server @ 14ms with a bandwidth test of 10.5Mbps/860Kbps

2nd day the ping went up to an average of 50ms to the same server.

Called 1-877-646-3282 to see if they had me set on interleaved rather then fast mode.
They told me since I was using a Actiontec Modem and not a rental that they wouldn't support Fast Mode. Also, I never was able to get a answer out of them what mode they were sending me from the DSLAM. She was running me around. At the end she said that there was a fiber issue in my area and they were working on fixing it... I went ahead and hung up.

Went to »www.centurylink.com/Pages/Support/ContactUs/ and did the online chat.
WOW!!! The customer support rep was extremely nice and answered every question I had. I did have to wait here and there after certain questions due to having to look up the info but in the end she was able to tell me I was connected interleaved. She then went ahead and switch me to Fast Mode, then she tested the line.

Online Chat is Superb so far. Phone Support... don't waste your time.

My ping is now back down to ~20ms to the Chicago server and my bandwidth is doing well at 10Mbps/864Kbps.

Overall,

Service has been up 24/7 for 3 months and online chat support is great.

Phone support is terrible. Rude and just want to get the phone call over with.

Comments:

Trawocd

@comcast.net

comments

I have heard a great deal of "bad" through acquaintances about cl. You always hear the bad more than the good. This is not an endorsement, although I am considering my options for service at this time. I would like to hear some of what they are doing correctly to help make a decision.
Seems service with a phone call is almost useless, but I see online chats are productive for the informed.

Need more input.
DC

Re: comments

Understand. No mega corporation cares one byte about one kid with school work, or a housebound handicapped person; but business, yes.

Truthfully, for the average user who does not download movies, compose symphonies, or create massive scientific projects on line ... 10/2 will support a digital phone and a rock solid internet connection very well, but. When a local CO is pushed to the breaking point it usually does.

The one thing a telephone company can do that cable cannot do is separate the phone side from the Internet side of the service. Thus when the telco and cable are offline, the telco phone will continue to work. It's a federal requirement that telco maintain is backup power for the phone system in their communications center (co). It might be six blocks from your house or 20 miles from your office, but you can bet there is a very large backup power source for your phone.

·TracFone Wireless
Trawocd, your best bundle is CL landline phone, Comcast Internet speed, and Dish crystal clear signal. It will cost you between $150 -$250 (depending upon the options you chose) plus the cost of installation, modems, etc..

BTW, you need to join us; you will get more help.

Review by liegia75 See Profile

• Location: us
Bad "customer service..disconnect"

I signed up with them and the internet service was wack,tried to disconnect and because i didnt trouble shoot the bad modem they would not cancel service. they sent out a modem and it took 3 weeks to get here..tell me why would i continue service with them??? they still after 40mins or more of being transfered and argued with they finaly cancelled service with a disconnection fee..I would not reccommend them to someone I hated...

Comments:

Review by krypt0 See Profile

• Location: Midwest
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (36 month contract)
Good "Solid connection, Advertised speeds"
Bad "Epic mess with initial install"
Overall "Nice second/backup internet"

I added CenturyLink for a second/backup internet service provider.
This is a business internet only connection (no data caps, lower pings, "guaranteed" speeds)

Hardware (All customer owned):
1. Technicolor C2000T (primary)
2. TP-LINK TD-8616 (backup)
Data Limit (monthly in GB): Unlimited
Provisioned Speed: 8M/896k
Received Speed: 8M/768k

»www.speedtest.net/result/3786756174.png

member for 11.7 years, 213 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Denver335

@174.51.223.x

Worst Customer Service

Trying to give CenturyLink additional business and bundle my existing phone service with their internet service....after 4 different calls to customer service, each more than 40 mins, different info each time, "can't find order", "found order with different info", "don't even show your existing service", I cancelled my order entirely. This is truly bad business when you can't even GIVE them new business! Although thier prices were lower than cable, I wasted more time and effort than was worth it! If there were another land line carrier, I'd go with them instead and cancel that as well. TERRIBLE

Review by JP84 See Profile

• Location: Lebanon,Hunterdon,NJ
Good "None"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Stay away"

Normally I don't post reviews online, but Century Link single handedly changed my stance, I WAS a CL DSL customer for over 5 years (I was using embarq before CL purchased them)

Advertised speed (10mbps)
Actual Speed (7.9 if your lucky, not even a meg up)
Ping: 28-80ms (I can get 28 at like 2am when the servers are less loaded, normally I get 50-80)

Connection drops out once a week, Tech support is useless, all troubleshooting is canned answers, wait times are ridiculous.
I had the highest tier DSL in my area 10mbps with VoIP package (unfortunately you can only bundle at the highest tier, at almost $100 per month after fees, and taxes, this is because the phone lines in my area are very old (or so they claim)

The customer service is even worse, between the long wait times and them trying to get me to bundle my Verizon wireless and Directv through them (never do this)
I recently had to get my rented modem replaced (I can't buy my own because I have VoIP bundled that I used for one phone call in 2 years)
after being put on hold, and transferred about 10 times I was but through to a rookie CS employee, she told me that they could overnight my modem for an extra charge. 2 days passed and no modem. I called back CL, and they told me the Representative never completed the order, and since it was a Friday night at 7pm I would get the modem until Tuesday of the following week. After arguing I got them to take off the overnight charge, Tuesday comes around and 2 modems are delivered, I sent one back, and after troubleshooting again with tech support they said that there is a "change of service" scheduled on my account and that a tech would have to physically turn the connection back on. So for over a week I didn't have internet, I am still trying to get that straightened out as a credit on the bill.

Now on to the billing dept. I continually received "shut off" notices (about every 3 months), even though my account is on autopay, and there is always enough money in the checking account. I still have not been able to get the overnight charges (2 of them) refunded, and they charged me for 2 modem rentals (even though I sent one modem back the next morning)

I finally had the brains to switch to cable! It is over 20x faster, and about $30 cheaper per month.

Comments:

linicx

Bad things happen ..

. . to good people. It is a fact of life.

Just as it is a fact of life that CL is in the
unenviable position of attempting to make a large network of many unknown parts of various quality and quantity work together flawlessly from border to border. Sometimes it is successful and sometimes it isn't. CS in Louisiana has no idea what ITT is doing in Galesburg IL to get the rural Midwest back on line. And so it goes...

Good luck to you.