CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by IT Guy See Profile

• Location: Las Cruces,Dona Ana,NM
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Cheaper than alternative with new customer, 1 year commitment"
Bad "I'm only getting 2 Mbps down on what should be 40 Mbps Connection"
Overall "CenturyLink has terrible customer service and their DSL reliability is garbage"

I had signed up with CenturyLink's 40/5 Mbps plan back in January 2014 to escape the ever-increasing cost of Comcast's service which was now costing me around $80 /mo for half the bandwidth offered by CenturyLink. When I first had my CenturyLink service installed, I had tested the connection through speedtest.net and was receiving anywhere from 12 - 25 Mbps, still well under the advertised 40 Mbps, even taking into consideration the 15% overhead for routing as stated on their Web page, but it was acceptable to me. But here I am now, nearly 6 months into my service and I am lucky if I get 2.5 Mbps down now for several weeks. I have contacted support about it, stating nothing has changed on my premises, but I had noticed one of their small, 3' tall cabinets on the inlet street, only about maybe 10 yards from my house, is exposed to the elements with its guts hanging out. I can't help but wonder if this is contributing to the problem and I stated to their support, that they should check that cabinet out for damage and at the very least, secure their equipment before I make any appointments to have a tech. come out to my house to look for problems. I even provided pictures to their support people. Yet, their support seems to have a knee-jerk reaction in their reply, stating that I may be billed extra if I haven't signed up for their Line backer, data backer or CenturyLink@Ease service. I am sick of these loopholes that act as barriers to getting service restored properly and I really wish more of the burden was placed on the ISP. Overall I am pretty fed up with CenturyLink. There was a reason I chose to stay with Comcast for over a decade, despite their service not being stellar, I find them to at least be much more reliable and easier to work with than CenturyLink. The modem I am leasing is an Actiontech C1000A, I did a self-install, but a tech. was dispatched before I received my equipment to check out the lines, which checked out fine.

member for 9.9 years, 2655 visits, last login: a few hours ago
lodged a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by suzums See Profile

• Location: Belen,Valencia,NM
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Offers service out in the sticks."
Bad "Regular downtime/outages, surreptitious throttling, generally s**t service, terrible speeds, ridiculously overpriced."
Overall "Terrible."

$90/mo for 12mbps down, 1mbps up. Was promised $20/mo at first signup. Download tests show at 11mbps but never seems to exceed 5-6mbps in real world application, with constant choking and sputtering. Outages seem to occur three or four times a week. Usually short, thankfully, and almost always in the morning hours, but always requiring a modem reboot (which takes 5-10 minutes in itself). Pings in video games used to be an average of around 80ms when we first got service a few years ago, but they've gradually increased and hover around 120ms today. Supplied with a Q1000 wireless modem/router (apparently a leftover from their Qwest acquisition).

CenturyLink HEAVILY throttles Youtube, to the point where videos won't even load 80% of the time.

Pretty much just the worst. Unfortunately they are literally the only ISP in town, so switching to a competitor is not even an option. We're stuck with CenturyLink.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:
sparky007

Century the missing link

You might need a newer modem.. Doesn't matter if it's cable or DSL.. All these modems are made cheaply and in 3rd world countries.

A Cox field rep told me that a modem usually last 3 - 4 years before it starts to have problems like dropping packets and data.

Century the missing link can come out and do a line test and or purchase a new modem and see if speed improves.

Geekster

@97.116.44.x

Re: Century the missing link

Nope, his modem isn't the problem. Whenever a tech from them comes we kept getting new ones. It depends on his location of the modem and the signal that it is giving. Trust me even the old ADSL modems could get 10mbps.

Geekster

@97.116.44.x

Maybe this could help?

First before I start, when you do real application like uploading a file is the file speed like this mbps or MB/S. Because, most applications will show your speed in Mega Bytes (MB), not MegaBits (mb), if this is so, divide your speed by 8, and that's your speed in MB (1.25MB/S). Now, if you're not getting that speed, where is your modem located? The basement? The 2nd floor? One thing about DSL modems, especially CL's is that they suck and have bad signal quality -This is a problem every CL customer deals with is the crappy modems and them constantly being replaced. However, 70% of the time the issue isn't that, it's just it cant give a good enough signal. We got a Netgear Nighthawk router, and they're just amazing. We now, get 37mbps wired and outside our house with that thing.
Depending on where you're Comcast's speeds will always, always, beat the local DSL company and they're reliable. Problem is even 6 mbps is 50 bucks. So we're stuck with CL until some fiber brand, like
US Internet, which is just up in MPLS a few minutes away that offers 1gbps for 100 or so bucks.

If none of this helps tell me more and I'll look into this

Review by Panthergm1 See Profile

• Location: Salt Lake City,Salt Lake,UT
Good "Pre Sales Was Excellent. Bundling with Directv Option"
Bad "Can't Even get Promised speeds. Upload is good, download is awful"
Overall "If I had the choice I would go with comcast."

We Ordered the 40 down and 5 up package at a promotional rate for 12 months. Pre-Sales was good. Having to wait for 2 weeks before it would be activated was kind of annoying. Was just happy to get something faster then 1 Mbps down. When Service went live We were getting 40 Mbps down 5 Mbps up. 3 days later I checked it again, and it was not even 10 Mbps down. I have checked it several times over the past couple weeks the highest I have seen is 10 Mbps down, and 5 Mbps up. The upload is surprisingly good but download is not even 25% of what we are supposed to be getting. I bought the C1000A Modem at a local best buy. we told the sales rep not to send us a modem but they did anyway. Why, I don't know. The other thing that really irritates me is every time we power cycle the modem it looses it's ip address. called and asked if they would offer a Static IP and was told we would have to upgrade to a business package, and it would be an additional 20 dollars a month. When I have had Comcast in the past, the IP was Dynamic, but it wouldn't change unless the modem was offline for an extended period of time. (Several hours or days) with Centurystink if the modem is rebooted for 30 seconds it changes IP. Extremely annoying. If you have another option and want promised speeds, I suggest going with your local cable operator.

Comments:

Review by bmccoy See Profile

• Location: Port Orchard,Kitsap,WA
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Decent technical support"
Bad "Slow, unreliable, overpriced, false advertising, neglected copper, no upgrades planned, low (and sneaky) caps"
Overall "VERY slow speeds, and outrageous prices. If you are lucky enough to have a different option, go with it."

·Wave Broadband
I have Centurylink DSL (formerly Qwest) and unlimited nationwide calling, and it costs (after taxes) exactly $98.06 a month. The main problem I have with them is that only 1.5Mbps is available where I live, because they don't want to bother upgrading any of their 90's-era equipment installed by US West and/or install a remote DSLAM. When I got this service many years ago, I was promised that they would be upgrading their equipment to get faster speeds that summer. It's been over 7 years now, and they haven't changed a thing.

UPDATE: Still no upgrades planned, according to Doug Morgan from TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com, so I will be switching to 55Mbps Wave Broadband for faster speeds and TV, while paying the same amount of money. (120.00-month for phone, internet, and basic HDTV)

After complaining to Centurylink for my internet repeatedly dropping out every 10 minutes a few months ago (fixed now), he tried to upsell me DirecTV.

UPDATE 7/9/13:

I switched to cable internet, and it's much better. Phone quality is better, internet is around 13 times faster, with less taxes and hidden fees.

Centurylink wanted to make it as hard as possible to cancel, so we had to sit on the phone for 40 minutes with them (35 minutes on hold). I was DONE with them as soon as they raised their rates, AGAIN, adding another fee, called "Universal service fund", which is supposedly to "improve their infrastructure", while I haven't seen them doing anything but getting worse. It's another hidden fee allowed by the FCC for corporations to make more profit. I'm glad I got rid of them.

Speed test (hey, an F+ is better than an F!):

member for 1.3 years, 338 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Rob_
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Can you get cable

I'd dump them for cable, Centurylink is horrible. $125.00 is rather steep when you can get Vonage for $12.12 for unlimited North American calling.. (Vonage basic)

If you go to www.whitefence.com you can see what's available in your area.

-Rob

jdb

@centurytel.net

Re: Can you get cable

But with vonage you still need internet access separately. They 'forget' to tell you that...

Re: Can you get cable

And, also, you need a RELIABLE and FAST connection for VoIP, so that would be impossible to use on C/L 1.5.

jdb

@centurytel.net
heh-whitefence shows only century and hughesnet-lol

Apache Junction, AZ
Whitefence.com is nothing but an ad for HughesNet, that's the only thing that always come up and everyone knows it's terrible! C/L is great here but it depends on your location.

Port Orchard, WA
Yep, switching to cable (Wave Broadband), sometime in the next couple weeks.

Re: Can you get cable

BMcCoy, you are going to have even worse problems with cable! They will keep raising the rates every year or maybe every 6 months and will keep doing it even if they can't provide service, until you get disgusted and cancel.
CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

We Can Help

Hi bmccoy, my name is Joey and I'm with the @CenturyLinkHelp team. We want to help look into this for you. We can check to see if there are upgrades scheduled that would allow faster speeds for your DSL service. We can also look at your account pricing since it seems to be a bit high assuming it's a residential connection. We may have a better deal we can offer you. Contact us at TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com. Thanks.

Joey H
@CenturyLinkHelp Team
TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com

Jeanette

@charter.com

Century Link Fraud

We were bundled with Quest since 2005, then Quest sold out to Century Link. During the time we were bundled with Quest and had moved to WA state we noticed a charge on our acct by MSN. We have never used MSN so I called both MSN and Quest and found out that were had been paying for service we had not received. Quest refunded our money for the 18 months that we had payed for. Recently I decided to change to Cable, since our bundle had increased in price over the years. When I printed out our Century link bill, I noticed a charge of 18.95 for MSN on our acct. I notified MSN and was told that it had been happening a lot and they gave me a claim number and I was told that someone would call me. Well after 2 weeks of going back and forth between Century Link and MSN, I am told that neither can refund my money. I had been charged for MSN since Nov 2010.

Re: Century Link Fraud

Jeanette, why didn't you keep track of what you were paying? If you are a sucker then everyone will take advantage of you!

Online again

@clearwire-wmx.net

Qwest/Century Link

I went with qwest/century link 10+ yrs ago, and just last yr. NEVER AGAIN!. Poor speed for price, over-billing, mixed up billing, runarounds, > Collections. Period!. INCOMPETENT!.
They should have their corp. charter revoked.

Re: Qwest/Century Link

Online again, you can't make blanket statements like that. Here in AZ cable is terrible but C/L is reasonably priced and works great after they installed fiber near me so it depends on your location.

Location

Location is everything. If you truly want screaming fast Internet and you are willing to pay for it then move to NYC, Chicago, or LA where you can find 100Mbps or faster- if you are in the right neighborhood. LV will get you 45Mbps if you are in the right location. It should be pretty fast in the alpha cities of SF and Denver - if you are in the right location.

Trying to define rural America is much like trying to herd cats. It's different for everyone. I am rural. I am 160 miles from a large city (million or over population). I've lived in this environment in three states. Areas with less than 500000 don't gain traction with second tier telephone and cable companies. Generally you don't find AT&T or Comcast unless there is a college with 20,000+ students, or there is a large medical/research district and large corporations like State Farm or CAT. Location and volume density is where IT'S at.

FIOS, DSL, 2.5 all have limitations. The screaming fast satellite? The most expensive plan is equal to about 5Mbps in the right location. What they don't tell you is the 4 they promote is over 2.5 and it still has to travel 22,000 miles unless there is a physical building on earth. There is one in the U.S. for Direct TV customers.

Most rural is delivered over copper. The DSL limit over copper is about 7-8/1 because of overhead and the Last Mile. After you pass the mile, speed slows. The farther out, the slower the speed. It is a fact of life; ask any EE. No telco is going to bring FTTH or FTTN to a town of 2000 - even when it is in the local office. It is doubtful that bonded DSL will happen. If you have a reliable phone and steady Internet be happy. If you don't, the phone company can fix it providing your inside wiring is good, there is no problem from the source to your house, and your equipment plays nice with the telco equipment. More often than not it doesn't. Frequent interruptions and rebooting is a red flag. I replaced 5 routers before I found one that worked.

How does telco explain to you your new D-Link router isn't working properly when you know it is? My engineer friend sent me a couple of routers that worked perfectly in Dallas on AT&T and TW. Both were useless on CL where I live in the middle of nowhere. CL 7/1 is faster than AT&T in the three counties that surround me. Comcast is not any faster. It is rural and they all have the same problems with copper and towns that are 10 to 20 miles apart. The fastest business where I live is 15/5 from cable an it is about $175 with tax. I pay $100 less for 7/1 and 5 year lock. It is a major improvement over 4/1. It is steady an the phone is 98% reliable all the time.

Re: Location

I've switched to cable and have been a mostly happy customer ever since. I'm lucky to have a local ISP, and I signed up for the 15/2 plan last year. They now are upgrading their max speeds to 110/10, and upgrading my plan to 55/5 for free.
You're definitely correct, location is what really matters.
The reason your modem probably didn't work is because CenturyLink uses VDSL in most areas (I happen to still have ADSL), so you need a VDSL compatible modem.

Re: Location

As far as I know it is is still ADSL (7/1; it was 4/1) I live in a Faraday's Cage. After the D-Link and the others that only worked for a few weeks each, I bought a ASUS plug n play N router when they first came out. They upgraded modem to Zxytel. No problems since.

I am glad someone understands this because I surely do not. Thank you very much.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

said by ArizonaSteve:

said by ArizonaSteve:

So the first quote you make an obviously "blanket statement" as you call it. Then in the second quote you call someone else out for doing as you do. What gives Steve?

Re: Location

Cable companies are known for consistent price hikes, even with diminished service (Cox is the main provider in Phoenix metro, and they're terrible for that)

Qwest/US West put FTTN pretty much everywhere here, so CenturyLink's network here is way better than anything Cox could offer a majority of the time.

Although, i've had Insight (best cable co i've ever had), Time Warner, WOW!, Comcast, and Cox and have had the cable internet issues that he's describing on pretty much all of them (except Insight - RIP), and even if you happen to look at cable internet reviews it says pretty much the same thing.

Re: Location

Again, it depends on your location. I happen to have a local cable ISP where I live, and its internet speeds are much better. 110/10 is the highest tier I can get with my new ISP.

Re: Location

Well here we can get 150/30 from Cox, but CenturyLink also offers 100/40 through pair bonding here if you're close enough to the box.

Cable still generally has congestion issues for many people (especially on systems the cable operator opted to go SDV instead of just doing a plant upgrade to 1GHz)

The only way any ISP should be going at this point is just fiber to the home, but until forced to provide reliable internet service through a common carrier law nothing is going to be done.

Re: Location

I've been using cable for over a year now and have had no congestion issues at all. ArizonaSteve was wrong, it's been around 14 months since I've switched and I was able to get my 12-month promotion renewed for free with my rates staying the same. As I've said before, I'm never switching back until CenturyLink decides to stop severely neglecting their rural customers.

Re: Location

Arizona Steve's assessment may be correct in his area, and your assessment may be just as correct in your area.

In my area neither CL or the local cable WILL provide enough affordable uplink for a reliable VoIP connection. I need a house phone for medical. My only choice is CL's version of DSL over copper that pretends to be POTS except when it is raining, when it is windy, and when some dummy screws up circuits. Trying to convince CL - that never EVER admits to any service related issues - is like trying to backstroke up Niagarah Falls. Here an example.

Yesterday I needed to contact my bank 60 miles away. Fast busy signal. My EE in TX had no trouble calling. The CL executive level employee in CA had no trouble with it. A CL suit was arguing with me until I forced him to listen while a state employee in my house made the call on her cell phone. He heard the bank recording. Only then was my phone fixed.

It took about an hour of my time to convince CL once again the phone does not work properly as promised. This will be a continuing problem in tiny place rural America -- the last town on earth CL wants to service. I will continue to hold their feet on the fire because nothing else works as well as CLs sloppy DSL over copper. Our plant has a 100Mbps "through put" yet only 1.5 is provided outside our tiny town of 2000. There will never be a FTTN or FTTH here because CL does not have to provide any service except a wireline. There is no money in it.
CL does not compete with its sister phone/cable company that shares the same office and same fiber.

My two house phones cost nearly $200 each, and the handicap phone is $400. I have the right equipment for every phone company in America.

Emp

@75.161.160.x
Actually fiber is set out on a grid grid system, back and forth. So your neighbor across the street could be on the right side side and get a 40mb while it loops back around towards you miles down and you only get a 7mb.

Goose15t

@76.1.0.x

Worst customer service ever!

I have century link and it is by far the worst customer service i have had with anything in my life. I have had bad waitresses but they have never been as bad as the service i get from Century Link. I call to upgrade my internet speed and get lied to about what speeds i am suppose to get and what speeds I can upgrade to as far as upload speed. I get it worked out and someone comes to my house to pre-setup for the upgrade. The guy cut my wire to install the new one and had no intention of installing it for me to have internet that day. I was lucky enough that I was present to ask him and make sure I still had internet. He got it back connected but I had to suffer for over a day of less then 1mbps of download and less then .1mbps of upload which is possibly taking you back to the early years of internet. They tried to give me the run around to get that issue fixed, and to top it all off my upgrade was scheduled to be done for today Feb 13th 2014. So I called to confirm a timeframe they were going to be at my house and the response was they scheduled it for the 18th now. When I talked to a supervisor she told me that nothing could be done and that they probably will not be able to install until the end of the month and that the 18th is only a tentative date now. Immediatly i told them I am looking for a new internet service and that I will call them when I have one and will be canceling their services. I recommend that no one I MEAN NO ONE get their internet services at all. It expensive and a huge waste of money.

·Wave Broadband

Re: Worst customer service ever!

100.00 a month for telephone service and 1.5Mbps DSL is a total rip off, IMO. I'm now paying 124.00 a month for much more reliable internet, phone, and even TV. I'm never going back unless CenturyLink makes some huge changes or starts providing FTTH.

Review by xthepeoplesx See Profile

• Location: Galena,Delaware,OH
Good "They say they will eventually upgrade my area..."
Bad "Service is horrific, always some kind of Bandwidth exhaust."
Overall "The only reason you should have CenturyLink is if there are no other options."

Seriously, there is no reason to have this company unless you literally have no other options.

member for 276 days, 166 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by flees See Profile

• Location: Guin,Marion,AL
Bad "Bad!"

Been with this company for 7 years straight. 10 years off and on. Called a couple days ago to cancel my services, was advised by their very rude customer service that i was under a contract that was poorly explained to begin with. In light, its 2 months from the contract being up. They want me to pay them 150$ to have it disconnected, even tho it will cost them customer in the future and boy am i going to tell how good their company was to me. Needless to say, i will keep the service until the 2 months is up and cancel it then. NEVER AGAIN WILL I DO BUSINESS with CENTURYLINK! It was clearly a move of desperation to keep a customer. Instead they lost one forever and I will make it my mission to get people away from their company! Terrible, terrible, customer service. Some of the worst i have ever had and i have 5 years exp in the field myself. Shame on you Centurylink! I hope cable runs ya'll slap out of business!

Comments:

Review by aznetplus6 See Profile

• Location: Wittmann,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Well I guess I would say at least they provide jobs for people"
Bad "What Sales tells you and what you get and what Tech support tell you are always different most of the time bad for the customer"
Overall "As soon as another provider comes into the area I will drop CL"

12Mbs DSL and 1 phone line, Advertised on TV as 19.99 per month for the DSL, but that is not the case as is the speed is also incorrect can't even get the next level down of 7Mbs. we only got 5.8Mbs and that is after over a year of calling them over and over again that we were only getting 1.5Mbs

Ordering was fine and the install was fine

Equipment was the Actiontec PK5000 (ADSL2+) just this week we were upgraded to the new high speed DSL so they say and switched our equipment out for a Actiontec C1000 (VDSL) now we get even slower DSL speeds 3.8

Until CenturyLink and take a hard look at what their customers are really saying (Just look at their facebook page), you would be hard pressed to see a positive post. Please CL listen to your customers and address the issues truthfully.

Comments:
sparky007

Yikes...

I did some looking around for your area and you don't have jack for ISP competition.

I was looking around at WISP.. Wireless internet, and there's nothing!!!!

Looks like your stuck with Century no link...
aznetplus6

join:2006-11-24

Re: Yikes...

Yea, I have been looking for a while now, but it has been a fruitless effort.

How has Cox been with their service and support?

Re: Yikes...

Cox is expensive but I haven't had a outage for at least 5 years.
I get advertise speeds no mater what time of the days it is.

Lately there email servers have been having issues on Sunday mornings, but over all its really good.

I guess you get what you pay for.

Re: Yikes...

See in Phoenix, i had the opposite experience with Cox vas CenturyLink. My CenturyLink 40Mbps line has been rock solid and never went out once, whereas Cox would usually slow down to a craw as soon as all the kids in the neighborhood would get home from school (this was even on pair-bonded).

It's a YMMV situation, and no matter where i've had CenturyLink i've always gotten exactly what i've paid for and usually have better luck with DSL than cable.

Re: Yikes...

That almost sounds like Orbital in Maricopa.. It's works ok until children come home and log on to play games and what not.
»www.orbitelcom.com

Century link with 40 Meg download... Your neighborhood is setup with FTTN.. Fiber to the Node.. Basically you have fiber optics ran to your local neighborhood main telephone cabinet connection. It's usually located with in a mile or two of your house.

Most places that have FTTN with century link usually have access to their Prism TV.

I haven't heard too many negative with Century link FTTN connection.

Advertised speeds.

Speeds advertised for your area does not necessary mean you will receive advertised speeds. The speed you receive is dependent upon how near you are to the office where the equipment for your house/street/area is located.

Where I live - I have more phone problems then I do net problems - which is about 7 blocks from CL's office.
mech

join:2012-10-24
Copperas Cove, TX

If i could change isp's i would!

I have been with century link a few years now, its been a not so fun ride. every 6 months or so my measly 1.5m bandwidth disappears and things get as bad as dialup.
Lately here in central Texas i have been experiencing google and youtube problems intermittent. tech help can be terrible, i would say 1 of 10 people you get on the phone is helpful and does not make you go through the brain dead procedures that have nothing to do with the problem.
If i could switch i would. I am in the sticks and in a bandwidth exhaust area.. of course they still keep selling bandwidth to other who move out here! i swear sometimes i think they do some round robin stuff giving people who complain the bandwidth for a while to shut them up.. LOL

sadly 4G doesnt reach here yet and 3G is too slow.
sadly no competition from other isps in this area.

Century like charged more than they promised me on the phone. No amount of complaining has managed to fix this.

Review by wanderer189 See Profile

• Location: Falkville,Morgan,AL
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Most tech support folks are great to work with and are in the USA"
Bad "DL speeds seldom reach 1/2 of what is advertised, frequent line drops"
Overall "Best available for price and service where I live"

ANOTHER UPDATE:

Well, here is a email sent to me over 6 months ago and never heard from again from replies or calls:

IHD Escalations
10/4/13
to CenturyLink.Su., me

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting CenturyLink. I am very sorry you are having trouble with your CenturyLink service and I promise to do everything I can to make sure you are able to get the full benefit out of your high-speed internet. I apologize for the delay in my reply to your escalation. I have looked in to your issue and it does appear that there are some utilization issues on the equipment that you’re connected to. I have sent a ticket up to our engineers to further investigate the issue and we should know more within the next 24-48 hours.

If there is anything else I can do to help you please let me know. If you require immediate assistance please call our Internet Help Desk at 800-788-3600... We are open 24 hours a day 365 days a year for you. If you'd prefer to get assistance online, you can navigate to ctlhelp.com (or »qwest.centurylink.com/internethelp/ ) in a web browser.

Sincerely,
Brian Combs
CenturyLink Data Tech IV
IHD Escalations

ALMOST A YEAR NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOTHING DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertised as 1.5mb down and 256k up. Uploads are always good, download speeds occasionally get above 1.0mb. Recently, I have experienced line drops repeatedly everyday, and their tech support can find nothing wrong.

For the most part, I am happy with the service, as satellite was my only previous option on the mountain where I live and I was paying 3 times more for 1/2 the speeds.

UPDATE: CenturyTel sent out yet another tech, he once again verified all was just fine with all of my equipment and settings as they always do, here is a screen shot from just a day or so after, showing my download speed slower than a 28k modem using their site for speed test

Comments:

linicx

28 K ?

28K dialup speed was the de facto modem speed 20 years ago before 33.3 modem replaced it, and 8-10 years before the 56K modem was offered. I still have my 56K modem.

You are currently paying for what is almost the slowest possible "Broadband" speed sold. The problem is most likely between your connection outside your house and the old equipment in the central office.

Do maintain inside wiring insurance!

Chances are if you want something faster you will either opt for cable or Exceed Satellite If you lived in rural America like I do you are squeezed by companies that are forced to serve areas they really wish would dry up and blow away. I live in on of those places. Call your state senator.

wizkid6

join:2002-03-31
Opelika, AL

Charter

Per your zip code, Charter is available in your area.

Perhaps you should call Charter to see how much it would be (and for a plant extension if needed).
wanderer189

join:2003-05-04
Falkville, AL

Re: Charter

linicx: I am loving the feed back, I agree with you , but sad to say I am pretty much forced to using unless I use dial-up, even a 4g aircard will only get a very, very poor signal on this mountain. I had hughesnet business a few years back, but the FAP killed me.

wizkid6: Charter is only available in the city limits and very close surrounding area, like less than a mile, they do not offer service as far out as I live, thx for trying to help a friend out and replying, sure is appreciatted.

Thx to all for feedback, keep it coming. gonna try to get neighbors involved in documenting to help build something to submit to FCC, BBB, etc....

Aslo keep in mind, this has been going on for a couple years now, ever since CL was introduced here....

pissy house

@63.153.78.x

Losing Interent

CentryLink turned off my phone where i had great internet services before turn off, but after the turn off I have dropped connections, 4 different Modems, and now finally get told by there wonderful tech they are having band problem in our area. I tired of getting told I do not know how to hook up my modem every time I call in. I guess CentryLink customer service has never heard of only having one Phone Jack in a house. I either need the filter or the modem can filter the problem . Has anyone else had this problem. I tired of going from 12mps to only 1.22 mps. it is crappy.
coryw

join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

Faster than 28K!

I'm not going to say that a download speed of 0.19 megabits is actually respectable, but if you're buying a 1.5 megabit line, it's in line with the technical capabilities of the system. Unlike CenturyLink's fiber-fed ADSL2+ and VDSL2 systems where you can typically maintain the maximum physical speed of your connection, (40M customers get overprovisioned to 50M, for example) -- on a 1.5M ADSL connection, there are a few things working against you.

And 1.5/8 is 0.18.

So, if you're working during a busy time and you do that speed-test, firstly the speedtest itself has to content with the other user(s) and other data inside your own home. Secondly, it has to contend with the seven other broadband customers in your area who are using the system.

And, for what it's worth, 0.19 megabits is actually 190 kilobits/second. That is seven times faster than 28 kilobit dial-up. And, on dialup, often you'll sync or train at a certain speed, and actual transfers will be slower anyway.

Although as it has been mentioned, you should test the modem at the NID/demarc and also call CenturyLink about it, because the disconnects may be caused by a physical error somewhere in the lines between your DSLAM and cross-connect box and your house.

Also, if you post your modem stats in the CenturyLink forum: »CenturyLink it's possible that somebody will have a specific idea as to what you can do on your end to help the issue, and what might be causing the problem. Just be aware that the text may be a mess when you paste it in, so you'll want to clean it up before hitting post, just so your post isn't a mile long.

To get the stats, to go »192.168.0.1/ and log in using the admin user name and password on the bottom of the modem, go to "Modem Status" at the top of the page, thn go to DSL Status below that. Either take screenshots or just copy and paste the text into a post.

As a good example, my line is retraining a lot right now because my upload SNR is bad. (I've only copied and pasted one section.)

DSL Power
Levels | Downstream // Upstream
SNR | 34.4 dB // 6.0 dB
Attenuation | 24.6 dB // 16.0 dB
Power | 8.9 dBm // 12.5 dBm

Good luck! It may not be the fastest, but I'd rather have CenturyLink DSL, even Ye Olde T1-Fed ADSL, than a satellite or a 4G/LTE connection. Once you've worked with CL to resolve the stability problems, it will probably stay synced for months at a time with no problems.
wanderer189

join:2003-05-04
Falkville, AL

Re: Faster than 28K!

Appreciate the reply coryw:

The original post was posted in the reviews as folks need to know. I was a satellite customer until the intro of CenturyTel (Centurly Link now) in my area years ago. It was great and I was a loyal faithful customer for a few years.

coryw QUOTE: "For starters, the DSLAM is likely fed by 1-8 T1 lines. A T1 line can do 1.544 megabits up and down. It's said that CL will feed up to eight 1.5 megabit customers off of a single T1. You and seven other people are sharing a line at 1.544 megabits."

According to your local techs (some I know first name basis, due to small community and continuing issues) as well as some of your brighter tech support folks, we have 48 folks per card at the local office, and my service is now at the end of the line due to changes made the past couple years. If CL is still buying their T1's from ATT (as had been doing in the past) to service areas such as ours, that now have to many folks on it, then it would be CL's responsibility to upgrade to T2's or something higher, ya know??? The customers should not lose previous service due to CL's growth in rural areas.

It IS a issue with Century Link, that is to stingy to upgrade lines, equipment, or what ever else needs upgraded from 20+ year old crap in rural areas, because they wish to push the limits of equipment due to cost justification. I know all lines are older than that as I have lived here that long and never has a piece of wire been changed from the small local town to anywhere in my area.

This issue is not only mine, but most of the folks that live up and down my road as well as surrounding roads(a few miles leaving the station in our small town), in so much I have looked into details, costs and local interests of setting up a WISP.

I really do appreciate your feedback, wish it provided something useful to myself or my neighbors that we haven't heard/gone through already. Rather than a CYA reply.

As far as me working with CL??? You are correct, I have few options. And as a customer, not a rep such as yourself, do you not think dealing with this for going on 2 YEARS is not trying to work with them, I would be in heaven to get what I had for a few years until ya'll either changed my stuff locally, added to many customers per line or whatever was done!!!!!

I will continue collecting, sharing and following up with FTC, BBB, here and all other places until maybe CL will resume the service they once provided, or another provider becomes available or we get enough folks to do a WISP.

Best to you as well!!!!
coryw

join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

Re: Faster than 28K!

I don't work for CenturyLink, I am like many on this site, another customer who is fully aware that if you don't tell them there's an issue, and pester them to fix it, they won't.

If your DSL is fed by a CO, then my comments about a T1-fed DSLAM aren't necessarily true, because in the CO, CenturyLink will have much better connectivity.

My comment about T1s applies to remote terminals, which are the backhaul to some customers on DSLAMs that are far away from the CO.

However, that also means your loop is likely longer and going to that modem interface to get the stats to see at what speed your line is syncing is important.

It's also worth noting that on speed tests, I always get terrible scores, often 0.2 megabits/sec, but on actual applications, particularly downloading large files from iTunes, I'm usually right at 1.3 megabit/sec, even sharing a T1 backhaul with other customers.

Review by Dropped_MC See Profile

• Location: Monticello,Jefferson,FL
Good "Price- when it works, no data cap"
Bad "Unrequested services, billing errors, loss of service"
Overall "Better than dialup, an OK last resort"

We're in a rural area of North Florida. We've had a number of types of Internet services, the last one being Millenicom wireless which worked well due to high data consumption (20GB/month). After a 50% price hike for no added value, we dropped them and decided to try CenturyLink DSL since a call to them in early April revealed we were within range, and supposedly fiberoptic was being installed at some point in the future. We were told the maximum speed due to distance would be 512K, and due to this limitation it would only be $29.95/month ($31.99 with all taxes & fees).

The addition was relatively easy since we had been prior Embarq (forerunner of CL) customers and the account was able to be reactivated. Service was set up and we provided our own modem, a brand new TP-LINK TD-8616. This modem had been reviewed and tested to work with CL. It arrived and was tested at the network interface jack outside the home before trying it inside. It got about 400K down and .1 up, about what was expected. Inside the house, the signal degraded slightly but was still better than dial up.

Since we had the remainder of the month prepaid via Millenicom, I powered down the modem.

The first problem surfaced when I got the first bill. $58.33 of the $157.03 was for DSL (first month, pro-rated amounts, fees, taxes, activation fee). We had been charged for a landline that we had not requested. I called customer service and the girl was extremely helpful. She did not know why we had received the landline, but after some work she said we'd get a credit of $100.44, which would leave a balance of $56.99. I didn't understand how this could be less than the $58.33, and offered to pay that, but was told the credit would reduce the amount due to $56.99.

After a few days later while paying monthly bills the bill online showed as $79.52. At the time I did not have the notes from the prior call, but recalled it was less than $60, so I paid $60.

As of today, when I wanted to change over to CL DSL full time, the bill still showed $19.52. After getting through to customer service twice, we found the $100.04 credit would not be applied until May 16, and if we didn't pay the $19.52 by May 8th, a $15 late fee would be added. I raised an objection over being charged for something I never asked to have, and another "credit" was found, which resulted in a credit balance of $1.46 (it should have been $3.01, but I was too tired to argue over less than $2.)

The next problem was no service. After powering up the modem, it power cycled as it had but this time no Internet. I took it out to the NID box and also got no Internet. I was able to use a friend's wireless network and go through the CL website testing. It showed our modem had to be retrained. I chatted online with a tech that told me there were no problems found.

This required a call to repair service. We're scheduled for a service call tomorrow. I'm not optimistic about CL service, but we are down to either this or dial up. This review will be updated as any progress is made.

UPDATE 5/1/14

The repair fellow arrived on time and was very helpful. He gave me a truthful and factual assessment, and candidly said he would not have sold/installed the DSL service since we are over 20K feet from the central office. He said there will continue to be dropouts as errors add up and the modem will need to be reset. He was able to correct a few line problems. For $30/month it will be worthwhile if it only needs reset every day or so.

Comments:

Review by NalaRogers See Profile

• Location: Salt Lake City,Salt Lake,UT
Bad "Cheated me out of money, credit, time, peace of mind"
Overall "Terrible "

Dealing with them was about the worst part of my life while I had their service. Every time I tried to call about a problem I spent hours on the phone being routed through phone trees, and always ended up with someone who knew absolutely NOTHING about how to fix the situation, and usually didn't speak English well enough to understand what the problem was.

When I was finally fed up enough, I tried to cancel my service. That was a nuisance but eventually I got it taken care of with the rep...or so I thought. They continued providing me with service after that and had no record of my cancelation. It too two more several-hour phone conversations to finally get it canceled, and a I got a month of service after I first tried to cancel that I didn't use because I had switched to another provider. They billed me for the final month and I was not able to convince them to drop the charge. Everyone I spoke with said they would do something about it, but then nothing happened and I got another bill. Finally they sent it to a collection agency, and I paid to keep it from harming my credit. I cannot believe how much of my life this horrendous company has sucked away.

Comments:
System

(topic move) Osmose and Century Link

»Osmose and Century Link

Moderator Action
This topic was moved to the forum CenturyLink