CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by puckstr2 See Profile

• Location: Chanhassen,Carver,MN
Good "Outstanding service! We always get the speeds we pay for!"
Bad "Installation took a few extra calls."
Overall "This is the best Internet service I have ever had."

We switched from Mediacom to Centurylink a few years ago when their VDSL2 service became available in our neighborhood in Chanhassen, MN. It has been a world of difference - now receiving the speeds we pay for, ALL THE TIME, and we even added a block of static IP addresses to our package.

The order process was not so great initially; we have multiple phone lines coming into our house and the tech picked the wrong pair. If he had walked to the demarc behind the house (no footprints in the snow), he would have noticed the whole-home filter installed from previous DSL service and a separate line heading up to the modem. It took a phone call to get that resolved. Then they charged us $100 for a truck roll. A lengthy phone call got that charge removed because the tech never entered our home. Finally the service was working.

OK, that said, the service and our Q100 modem is excellent. Service is rock solid. We get the advertised speeds all the time. Not aware of any bandwidth caps. It is refreshing not having to worry about the MB usage. Can't ask for more.

Comments:

Review by dumas777 See Profile

• Location: Chandler,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Price"
Bad "DSL sucks, upload is garbage, download is slower than cable"
Overall "In my zipcode if you are a cheapskate like me its hard to beat"

Have had CenturyLink DSL 15meg down and 892kbit up (fastest possible in my area) DSL internet service for a year and have to say so far no nasty surprises really (speed consistent, uptime very good, tech support is garbage as is expected). I was paying $35 a month with a DirectTV bundle for one year but it recently jumped up to $50+ a month so I was going to cancel as Cox cable internet is far faster (2x faster download, 15x+ upload) and only $10 more a month. They talked me into another year by cutting price in half. For the price its a very good value but in general DSL sucks. Less than 1 meg/sec upload is garbage and is why the technology is dying. I was getting 15 meg upload with Cox. I was also paying well over twice is much. Basically if you need fast internet go with cable but if you are a miser like me you are not going to get cheaper better internet for the price.

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Prism

If you in Chandler, you should be able to get prism with prism speed.. Around 25 to 40 meg download.
Expand your moderator at work
brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ

DSL is capable of more upload easily

DSL is not limited to 1Meg/sec upload, it's just that's all your line distance will allow.

I have 40/5, and have had 40/20 and 80/40 through century link before, but i also live very close to the DSLAM.

I'll personally take DSL anyway over Cox's horrid network with the ping spikes and when the node gets overloaded (i always seem to live in a Cox neighborhood with that issue) they take forever to fix it, but still want to charge me full price for ¼ of the speed i'm paying for.

Review by gapmn See Profile

• Location: Saint Paul,Dakota,MN
Good "Awesome, reliable and great techs here."
Bad "No way to track data usage"
Overall "I would recommend "

I have had CL HSI for 8 years and its only been down twice for a few hours as far as I know. I pay for 40Mbps and I get a little over 42Mbps on speed tests. No complaints here.

member for 156 days, 238 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mikehd See Profile

• Location: Lebanon,Linn,OR
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "works mostly"
Bad "bandwidth exhaustion in our area since May 2013 with June 2014 estimated repair date"
Overall "Guess I'll be patient..."

CenturyTel now offers its ADSL service in rural Oregon. I lucked out when they pushed it out to a remote office (blockhouse) about 2 miles from my house. Only one speed available (512/256) for $49.95 per month, no limits on usage. VPN fully supported, dependent on home hardware. No home networking supported. Westell Wirespeed DSL modems used ($120 from CenturyTel), and they allow you to spread the cost over 12 months if you like. Order process was a bit confusing in that the hardware came but no notice what to expect next. Service was delayed 2 days past the promised date due to inexperienced field techs (finally found load coils on my line at the RO). PPPoE with DHCP is used. Actual speeds are typically 450/220. Very happy to have a stable broadband service.
***
Update Jan 31, 2002 - since my first signup with CenturyTel I have experienced about 5-10 days of service interruptions, mostly due to loss of their carrier out of the state. Some troubling tech support issues occurred during the most recent service "brown out" (not gone but slowed way down). I got one tech to tell me that they were having problems on their network, but the second time I called the tech just said that my Netgear RO318 router was the problem. The symptom was slow connection and IP address expiring every 5-10 minutes.

Also, if you check out community.centurytel.net you will see that they are running a promotion where you get your ADSL modem for $49 (regularly $120) and first month of service free if you commit to a year service.
***
Update July 7, 2003 - Service has been very steady and reliable over the past 18 months. Some slow down issues lately where a reboot of the Westell was required to get full 450Kbps speed (512Kbps advertised). Not clear to me why they don't offer higher speed service - is it their hardware? infrastructure?
***
I've been using the news service and their website more often lately and am a bit disappointed to how weak they are in those areas. The news has a very low retention rate, and their website just repeats the same info available everywhere.
Oh well..

July 15, 2003
Thought I would take the time to report a rarity with our ADSL service: an outage today! It may have been foreshadowed by increasing frequency of disconnects over the past few days. Today we could establish synch with the RO, but couldn't find a PPPoE server to get our IP. Just talked with a local field tech who was on his way to the Lacomb RO to turn things back up.

I had contacted the CT 800 number on Sunday (July 13) night to let them know things were starting to have trouble. Monday afternoon (July 14) we got a message from a local field tech to discuss the issue. Today (July 15) we get contact with the same field tech who is going out to fix the problem, and said that he would call back to the house to verify that service was re-established. I'm impressed.

****
More good news on the CT front: they will be offering higher speeds very soon. They have the network capability and have made the business decision to become more competitive with cable (Comcast in Lebanon, OR).

Aug 1, 2003
No news yet as to when CT will roll out the higher speed packages.

June 17, 2004
CT has been offering 512/256, 768/256 packages for a while now. For the same price that used to get you 512, you know get 768.

They also switched to Giganews for their newsfeeds, which has been a big improvement.

Stability has been excellent. Their web-chat CS is not usually useful for me. Their 800 number CS typically results in the problem really being solved.

Bottom line: CT aDSL still delivers.

*****

December 31, 2004 - Happy New Years!

The last six months has been the worst in terms of network stability with CT. Numerous calls to the 800 number result in the usual "all ok up here" and "reboot the modem, disconnect your firewall" routine. Most problems peaked in September, and have again smoothed out in the past month or so. I'm downgrading my rating of CT based on the past 6 months to average overall.

In an attempt to resolve the connection stability issues, I purchased a next generation Westell dsl modem (6100) to see if it's vaunted and hyped technology would enable more stable connects at higher speeds. No help.

I'm back on our old 356 and haven't had to power cycle it in weeks. Service is set to 1500/256 and typically we get 1200/220.

****************

September 5, 2006

CT has upgraded our local RO to be fibre fed. Must say that this is the most exciting development in the world of CT since they discovered aDSL technology. They are apparently now offering 3Mbps and 6Mbps packages but I don't know pricing yet.

Their website portal is still pretty clumsy and hard to find info. Looking for the latest offerings? can't find it here, gotta call them. Their 800 number tech support has been reworked to be more responsive and human, feels like you're working with someone that cares about the issues not just a drone. They still have that delightful southern accent.

Local tech support continues to be strong. Although a recent RO upgrade resulted in our service being left at 512/256, a call to the 800 line got a ticket opened (after the typical modem reboot, no router troubleshooting steps). Got a return call from the local tech who validated our MTU didn't change then set us up the bomb to 1.5/256 again.

Need to see what the line conditioning steps are to get to reliable 3Mbps service.

*******

November 5, 2006

We got 3/512 service this past week. Been very steady. Replaced the 5 year old modem with a new 6100 series. $50/month for the 2x faster service.

********
March 8, 2007

Another round of calling CT's CSRs to get some resolution on our periodic synching issues has concluded. Resolution was attained by insisting they open a repair ticket and having the local tech see the issue from his gear in the Lebanon office. A field tech was sent out to troubleshoot the cable pair. He found a bad splice that was grounding out the pair during wet weather (which we have a bunch of during the winter). Having the local phone number for a sympathetic tech is invaluable, but it is also a responsibility to not abuse the relationship. I still call the CT CSR line to open tickets, but it is good to know I can call (and I get calls from) the local tech for issues such as this.

************
Sept 26, 2007
Further issues with unsynching and speed degradation over a 24 hr period forced me to call in the CT CSR center again. Took a few tries as one of the CSRs wouldn't open a repair ticket if I could reboot my modem to restore speed. Another wanted me to put my netgear router back into service to address the PADT disconnect issues. Sigh. Eventually I got a repair ticket opened and the once again excellent folks in the Lebanon Oregon office were able to track it down to the last piece of hardware: my Network Interface Device. They upgraded it to a new one that uses a whole house splitter/filter. I did three home runs to it: one for data, two for phones. The dsl tech did the final tie in and an excellent job of dressing the cables down to the house. We went a record of 90+ hours without an unsynch or disconnect. The record was broken due to a power bump that reset the modem and router.

Summary: CSRs... meh. Local techs... EXCELLENT!!

Update 10/8/08
August was a month or more of 'nightly slowdowns' where our 6Mbps service would magically drop to less than 1Mbps, then restore back to 6 by morning. Of course there were no issues at CT's end . Noticed a post in the new dedicated CT forum by another local CT user in Lacomb with the same issue. Luckily CT techs are now participating in that forum and were able to investigate a bit for us folks. By mid-September the problem was resolved.

Once again, I am very grateful that CT has invested in our rural community in the technology needed to provide HSI access. I just wish they would upgrade their CSR group and provide them with real tools and real info on the true status of the network.

Update 12/21/09
The past year has been mostly without drama here in Lacomb with Centurytel. We haven't had any issues with the merger with Embarq into Centurylink. Our best service is still the 6/512 tier and it typically performs fine. Our Belkin G wireless router started to develop some issue with stable download speeds (verified by connecting directly to the modem and using Vista's native PPPoE client) so we replaced it with a Buffalo Tech WHR-HP-G54. It's a fine router once you replace the garbage firmware on it with Tomato, but that's not really relevant to this review of Centurylink.

Hoping that CL will invest further and open up the available speeds to >6Mbps down in the new year.

Oh, and sorry for not seeing your reply earlier DSLdude08. I haven't had to contact the CSRs this past year so don't have any performance reports from that end.

Happy Yule everyone!

Update 2/27/2013
The love affair is over. Centurylink appears to have abandoned any real plans to fix the ongoing bandwidth exhaustion out in our area. It has been an issue since May 2013. I'm going to try calling our local techs and see if they can give me any real info. sigh.

Update 3/13/2014
After sending an email to the talktous@centurylink.com I received an update stating that the necessary network hardware to relieve the bandwidth issue should be in place by June 2014.

BTW, I was very impressed with the contact thru the above email. Give it a try if you have persistent issues.

Comments:

linicx
·TracFone Wireless

Hmmm

CL has a footprint in 38 states. Most of it is rural. CL must provide telephone service. And while it it required to do so, CL is not required to provide e internet service.

The biggest problem with CL is not CL. It is home equipment and software that is not compatible with CL's system. `
mikehd
What day is it?
join:2000-07-11
Lebanon, OR

Re: Hmmm

Not really. Just got an email thru CL's "talk to us" email that indicates they do have a concrete plan for improving bandwidth in our area. Current plans are a June 2014 completion date.

Oh, I also have CL's modem/router and run Windows systems. What's not compatible?

·TracFone Wireless

Re: Hmmm

That's excellent for you! What I said and what meant were two different things. I was tired which is not excuse. I wrote, "The biggest problem with CL is not CL. It is home equipment and software that is not compatible with CL's system." What I should have written: The biggest problem with CL is not CL. It is that NOT ALL brands of home equipment are compatible with CL's system. I have a drawerful from an engineer. It worked fine on his RR system, but not for long on CL. Neither of us understood why. I went back to my Windows roots, bought ASUS and quit having problems.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

Re: Hmmm

The biggest problem is CL's over sells their data lines feeding the DSLAMs.

"Too many" people are trying to use the service that they have paid for.

This has nothing to do with any hardware in any home.

Re: Hmmm

I think the DSLAM issue depend on where you live. I do not have that issue where I live which is very rural. But what I DID have was a hardware problem.

Review by Voxxjin See Profile

• Location: Dupont,Pierce,WA
Good "Cheaper than cable"
Bad "Speeds are not as good as cable"

Just moved to the area (DuPont, WA) and really had the choice of either Centurylink (CL) or comcast for internet. Picked Centurylink because of the Direct TV tie in package. From the initial call to order service it took less than a week for the tech to come out and hook us up. There was a slight mix-up with the Direct TV part. Seems the CL rep decided that when I said I wanted the standard channels, he thought I wanted sandard definition quality and not the regular level of channels from Direct TV. But the Direct TV tech was able to correct that when he came. Seemed to work ok. The rep on the phone said were has 12Mg d/l speed. When I checked we only were hitting about 6. On top of that, every night out internet would go out (could not connect). But it would work normal by 7am the next morning. On the third night it happened, I called CL and I got a tech within a few minutes. After about 10 min we seemed to be able to connect but at a very low speed. The next night it happened again and I called again. Also got a rep within about 5 min. We spend about 30 minutes trying things and nothing worked. I had to end the call without resolution because I had to go. On the following night when it happened again, I spent another 30 minutes on the phone. We tried more things. Nothing worked. They then finally set up another appointment for a tech to come out and check on it. Two days later the tech came out and ended up giving us a dedicated line for the internet. Speeds are at about 12 and I can now surf past 9pm. One of the reps also told me that CL is planning on upgrading the lines again in the next few months and to call back and check to see if faster speeds are available. Total price is about $115/mo for phone, internet and Direct TV. Much cheaper than what I had in Texas with Time Warner. We had some issues as I mentioned at the start-up but things appear to be working now to my satisfaction. Last week I was doubting my decision when I was having troubles but I am feeling better now.

UPDATE: its been a few weeks since our issues. Everything has been working just fine. The speed is still there and haven't had any drops on the internet. I am currently satisfied with CL.

UPDATE: Its been about 7-8 months since the install and the issues I had. Since that time I have not had any problems with my service. No outages, no speed problems, no service calls needed. Everything is working just fine. Because everything has been fine I bumped my connection rating up a notch.

member for 4.2 years, 1463 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MichaelMenor

@qwest.net

Centurylink. /direct T V

Worst thing you could do, they promise everything and delivery nothing but bills that are higher than promised and as I set hear I can not even watch T V as Direct has a problem,
What really needs to happen is people need to file a class action suit against both Centurylink. &Direct T V there is no way they could win in court,,

Review by mdhtx See Profile

• Location: Athens,Henderson,TX
Good "no problems everything has been pretty smooth"
Bad "none at the moment"
Overall "it beats the wireless out here in price and speed go with centurylink"

They now offer DSL in the sticks!!!!!!!! It's about time!
The speed is ok at the moment they are doing alot of work out here on the lines.
3mb/512 up is what it's suppose to be but seeing about 2.5 - 1 mb

Comments:

Review by gapotter See Profile

• Location: Seattle,King,WA
Good "Fastest DSL available"
Bad "CenturyLink morale is horrid"
Overall "Very lucky to be within fast service range, can't beat the price"

·flowroute
The local cable company (Comcast) only has good deals for 6 months, then they jack the rates. Fortunately, I am only about 1000' from a CenturyLink VDSL2 DSLAM fed by Gigabit fiber, so I can actually get the fastest DSL offered.

Even better - this is "Naked DSL" or Dry-Loop DSL, as in I am not required to have dial tone. You just can't beat the price either. I will have to call in next year to keep the good rate, but this shouldn't be a real issue.

I wish more people who could take advantage of this really fast DSL would.

Comments:
MrBungle87

join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

Fastest?

So are you on the 40/5 plan?
brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ

Re: Fastest?

They also offer 40/20 via single pair, or 100/40 if you go pair bonded

Review by Shadowdrone1 See Profile

• Location: Louisiana

I finally found out why they call it centurytel it might be they take a century to load anything

Comments:

Review by sinshiva See Profile

• Location: Tallahassee,Leon,FL
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "usually excellent latency"
Bad "10/.75 really should be half what i pay, imo"
Overall "will this hold up when 4K res is common?"

i used to be what one might consider a power user. now, video streaming bandwidth has most people surpassing me in bandwidth usage. i generally have ~14ms latency to googledns, ~30ms latency all the way to chicago, from florida. this blows away my old cable connection from that well known provider. it's also costing me about a third of the cost, but i get 1/5 the bandwidth i had; though with half the latency. as somebody who prefers ridiculously low latency, this was reasonable enough for me. however, with the push for higher and higher resolution media, i really need at least twice the bandwidth i'm getting, and that's when the costs start to become unreasonable, for me.

in the couple years i've had this service, it's been nearly flawless until the last few days, so i'm not marking that against them. by flawless, i mean i've maintained the ~14ms latency to googledns, 24/7/365. can't ask for better stability than that. hopefully my most recent issues are resolved post-haste. i've spoken with their advanced tech support on a few occasions, once when my modem died and most recently with network troubles in town. they've consistently been as helpful as they possibly could be, each time they've appeared to be working above and beyond SOP's to help me out. i really appreciate that.

Comments:

Review by bobk4000 See Profile

• Location: Saint Paul,Ramsey,MN
Good "Solid, reliable connection, faster speeds than what was ordered"
Overall "Very happy with the service from CenturyLink"

I switched from a 7 Mb/896 Kb with Visi as my ISP and CenturyLink for DSL and phone over to a CenturyLink 12 Mb/896 Kb bundled with their phone package back in September of 2013. Purchased the modem from CenturyLink - they offered to spread the cost over 3 months of bills which I took advantage of.

Ordering the upgrade in service was painless - it took place at CL kiosk at a local shopping center. Staff I worked with were very knowledgeable and answered all my questions and had the DSL modem for me to take home. Did have to call to get my PPP login credentials but in all fairness I may have rushed getting my modem online a bit early.

Modem is an Actiontec C1000A - it has been a solid performer however I've kept all the DSL modems 'elevated' so there is plenty of air flow and it resides in a cool basement and on a UPS with surge protection for the phone line.

I've been very pleased with the switch to a CenturyLink bundle - I'm getting faster speeds (14.7 Mb down / .85 Mb up) than what I ordered and there seems to be less overhead on this VDSL2-8A circuit over the former DMT-ADSL that I had before. Plus the service has been very reliable - the few times I have had any issues (noisy line) the CenturyLink techs had it resolved quickly. I do live about a mile from the Central Office and with all the DSL service I've had from CenturyLink/Qwest/US West over the years it has been rock solid. Apparently the underground wiring in my neighborhood is still in very good shape.