CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by neill6705 See Profile

• Location: Little Falls,Morrison,MN
Good "Consistent connection that's faster than what we're paying for."
Bad "Horrible CPE, overly aggressive sales people."
Overall "Great service, but bring your own modem."

We've had Centurylink for about a month and a half now. I've been very pleased with they're service. We're paying for 20/0.896mbps and speedtest.net consistently shows 24.4/0.85mbps. We haven't had any downtime in the time we've had them. One of my only complaints is the sales people. I've been in a sales position before and I know the importance of upselling but when the customer knows exactly he/she wants, don't try and jam the stuff they don't want down their throat. I lost count of how many times I had to say no to a land line (we have VoIP from Ooma), Verizon, Direct TV, their at ease antivirus tech support bundle, etc. I didn't really deal with any field techs. Since we were just using our NID for DSL, I unhooked out home phone wiring from the terminals as the Ooma is feeding that and ran a piece of Cat5e to a jack just for DSL myself. This leads to my only other complaint - the customer premise equipment. I bought an Actiontec C1000A. Worst $100 I've ever spent. It had thousands of CRC and hundreds of thousands or millions of FEC errors every day. A week later I replaced it with a ZyXel P873HNUP and all my issues went away. On a bad day it has a few hundred FEC errors and basically no CRC errors. Bring your own router, unless you get a C2000T (based on what I've read).

Overall, the service has been very fast and consistent. Once you get past the annoying sales people, If you're near the DSLAM and the copper loop is of decent quality, you should be very satisfied with the service.

Comments:

Review by greatshow09 See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Price is fine -for me. $29.95 for 40mbps, hasn't changed and I still have the 4 year lock from Qwest :)."
Bad "Took awhile to fix the speed problems. Turned out an expensive router did the trick. Ping kinda' is bad too 40 ms."
Overall "Unless CL Fiber is coming to your house soon, the speeds are slow. However, worth the price."

Ok So here's the full story, scroll down for something less, well big.

We've been with Qwest since 2008, the most remembered part was their dedication when they spent TWO DAYS instaling ADSL to our house. Since then, we were happy 12mbps customer, that never wanted to switch after a horrible experience at Comcast, and all the way up 'till recently when Centurylink bought 'em out, we were as happy as could be. Once CL came along though, we had our second nightmare. No, night-terror. For the first few months, CL was fine, they got VDSL hooked up to our house and we swapped over to 20mbps. The connection was fine and we averaged speeds at 17mbps. However, once 40mbps came along, we jumped on the offer and upgraded. This is when it got bad, wireless speeds were far from 40mbps and we went through six, yeah six, modems -great. All of which were crappy Zyxel and Actiontec modems. After several calls to CL customer representatives all were nice but almost useless, changing channels, ports and of course modems. After none of that worked we said screw you and said we were switching back to Comcast and getting their Blast plan. As a house of geeks we asked for linebackers to show up -nothing was wrong. That was it, we called Comcast and setup an account they were to setup service just a bit later. Turned out the problem was a crappy signal from all the modems that only made it through one room in our house. The router brought our house to the speeds needed and after all that hell all is well now.

To cut it to the chase:

We had a mixed experience with CL and went through several modems and representatives it took months to get our house to 40mbps.

The Techs were friendly, but rather useless. Price is great $29.95 for four years (They let us keep our lock from Qwest... Sort of.).

Their modems suck, and signal only covers a room of our house. So, I would suggest buying a good router like our $200 Nighthawk.

CL Fiber (Up to 1gbps) is coming to our area. So, we aren't going anywhere. Comcast kills their DSL on regards to speed though.

Comments:

Review by cgreene See Profile

• Location: Roanoke Rapids,Halifax,NC
Good "Great speeds, good service, great field techs"
Bad "None that I can think of so far"
Overall "CenturyLink has been great from the time I order until going live"

After a 7 year wait for broadband, DSL finally came to my area on 2-15-10. I have been on dialup, satellite, 3G through the years. Always around T1 or better at work. I am about 3,000 feet from the RT so I ordered the 10 meg for 69.90 a month bundled with local phone service. Ordered over the phone and service was turned on 2-15-10 on the first day available. The local service techs Junior and Cory did a great job. The modem is a 660R in bridged mode. I am also using a Linksys 400N router. Speeds so far are always ~9850 to 9900 down and 840-850 up using speedtest.net or speakeasy.net. This has been a smooth ride so far. I will update as time goes.

10/08/2010

Still going strong after 8 months. Speeds are always there and no downtime. Wish everything was like this.

8/9/2011

After 18 months service is still GREAT! No downtime and speeds are still what I pay for. On the 10 meg plan I always get 10 or a little better down and 87 up. The first three or four hops are in the 8-10 ms range. It is like this 24/7. Very happy with CenturyLink.

7/15/12

Still receiving great service from CenturyLink. I am on the 10/896 package and speeds are right on target 24/7. Service has gone down once in over 2 years. That was due to a hurricane. I checked the modem stats a few days ago. This modem has been up for 6,643 + hours. Truly amazing!

11/19/13

Time for a update. The 10/896 has been great the past 16 months with no problems. After checking with CenturyLink founded out DSLAM has been upgraded to VDSL2 service. I am 3423 feet from the DSLAM and could receive 25/2 package. The line tech and inside tech showed up as scheduled and were up and down the road for a hour or so. They then ran cat 5 from the NID to the inside jack. Line sync is 25023/2014. I am getting a SOLID 23.5/1.90 at all times. What is interesting is these numbers are over a SINGLE PAIR and not bonded. Can't say enough about the techs that did the line and install work. They were great! CenturyLink has been GREAT for me over the years.

August 2014

Nothing new to report. CenturyLink has not been down once since last review. Still receiving 23.5/1.9 24/7. A few months ago did switch out the modem from Actiontec C1000A to Zyxel C1000Z. Don't really see any difference except the modem stats on the Zyxel are complete. Very happy with CenturyLink.

member for 10.7 years, 4619 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·TracFone Wireless

I Agree

CL techs can make small miracles when they have the something to work with,but they can't pull 10/1 over dialup. Where I live, my miracle worker is an old lineman whose been with the company for years.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Review by brad152 See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Consistent Speeds, Great Ping Times"
Bad "Great since i got pair-bonded"
Overall "I love them, have recommended many, and if you have VDSL2 go for it!"

- Update August 2014 -

Still running great as ever, line was finally provisioned to 25/2.5 on each pair, so i'm testing ~46Mbps/4.7Mbps pretty consistently. No complaints, i did call and renew my contract a few months ago, and have since added a 5GHz dedicated AP and still let the C2000T do all the routing with no hiccups or bugs as of yet.

So far, very happy with CenturyLink and plan to stick around as long as i'm in Phoenix. I do know they have a 250GB cap, but it does not seem that they enforce it as of yet unlike Cox.

- Update December 2013 -

Since swapping to pair-bonded with a Technicolor modem, it's been up for over 2.5 months with no retrains or reboots with respectable WiFi performance, I can pull 36/4 on 2.4GHz so i'm happy with the CenturyLink provided gateway.

This connection does not suffer mid-day slowdown like i had with Cox and the billing has been like i have expected, I love CenturyLink and just re-signed a contract with them for another year and have no plans of switching. I just wish they'd stop giving out the Actiontec modems as i've had to get on the phone for a few friends beyond frustrated with the C1000A and get them swapped to this modem to resolve their issues. Once everyone has received this modem, everyone's service has been buttery smooth since.

-----------------------

I have CenturyLink's pair bonded 40/5 service (single pair was a little shaky on the upload on my old cat3 line), it's been solid since receiving the new Technicolor C2000T modem, and i have no complaints.

It did take a few weeks to get the pair bonded service issues worked out due to me having a crap Actiontec modem, but they finally fixed it with the modem i was asking for from the beginning.

Overall i'm happy to not give any money to Cox Cable, and have gotten at least ten people i know to swap to centurylink with equal happiness to mine, so all in all they're doing a great job in Phoenix.

Comments:

CLbadbusines

@affiber.com

Century Link's mistreatment of customers

So for over a month now Carol and I have been trying to cancel our account with Century Link after we called them at the beginning of September to get a quote for their internet rates. Key word, INFO only. we did not tell them to sign us up. But they did anyways. The told my wife that they had to do a credit check and get her social security number simply to give her info. We called repeatedly on the phone (and always talked to them very nicely and respectively) and talked to many different people for HOURS trying to cancel, and have been told three times it's been canceled. And it hasn't. We keep getting bills sent to us and since they have my wife's SSN it hurts her credit. Century Link is the worst company I have had the displeasure to come in contact with and I would advise anyone that is using them to cancel with them (if even possible) or if they are thinking about using them to never do so. Carol has currently been on the phone for over 30 minutes, has been put on hold repeatedly, been told falsehoods about what we've done, and been told it will take 12 days to process our cancellation. I don't believe anything that comes from Century Link. Fortunately for us and unfortunately for Century Link I'm a public relations major and I've spent the last few years learning how to build up a company's reputation, and thus now how to destroy it. I know that in today's world thanks to the Internet and social media, the consumer now has more power than bad businesses. I have never made such a strong public statement like this before but truly the way Century Link is treating us is the most unprofessional and dishonest actions that I have ever personally had to deal with from any business. Century Link is appalling. I'm going to use the skills I've acquired and am going tear down Century Link's reputation until I hear from one of their senior executives in the company officially apologizing for the horrendous business interactions they have conducted with us so far, and he tells me that all of our records of any sort are removed from all Century Link's databases. If you read this and are willing, I would please ask you to help me and post this on Facebook, review sites, tweet it, whatever, about how terrible Century Link has treated Carol and I. Because Carol and I have repeatedly tried to get rid of them but they will not cancel, and they can continue to hurt our credit because they have Carol's SSN. And I can only logically assume that we are not the only ones who have been so harshly mistreated by this foul company called Century Link. And once you start reading these posts Century Link, I suggest you are quick to make the necessary reparations, before you become a case to be learned about in public relations classes of a company that does not know how to treat customers, and end up in a YouTube video like United Airlines United Breaks Guitars. (As of right now I am thinking of how to create a YouTube video to portray what has been happening to us, if anyone has any ideas or wants to help let me know)

darthom

@bellsouth.net

Re: Century Link's mistreatment of customers

Write to your 'Governor's Office for Consumer Fraud'. That and the BBB. I have done this with several companies that have defrauded me. State lines, if any are involved, pose no barrier for State attorneys. No Governor likes businesses abusing citizens so, let your State attorneys handle the matter.

JackinPhx

@qwest.net
Wow. that's crummy treatment all right. But you did make one mistake: Never, ever, give out your Social over the phone. Whoever demanded that from your wife should be spanked - or something bad.

If you are in Arizona, you might check with the Residential Utility Consumer Office - www.azruco.gov
brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ

Re: Century Link's mistreatment of customers

Wow I have a few accounts with CenturyLink (one is dated back to the Sprint days) and have never had these issues. Must be a one off situation to be honest. I've worked for many telecom companies and it happens everywhere. Sorry about your luck..

I've had these issues with Verizon, Time Warner, and AT&T but i'd never go bashing them in forums due to a few employee's incompetence. I've had nothing but great service from CenturyLink other than my nit-pick here and there and I overall have no complaints with both accounts i currently run (one in Ohio and one in Arizona)

centrynolink

@cox.net
Great Find!! Thanks...

SP1993

@comcast.net
The key, in my opinion, is having the gall to cancel services from CenturyLink, or even to consider cancellation by asking about alternative, discounted pricing packages Big mistake. I was an unquestioning customer for over 10 years when I was offered a bundled package from Comcast that saved me over $50 per month. Once the ball got rolling to cancel my phone and internet with CenturyLink, my calls to CenturyLink to explore their pricing and possibly reinstating services only led to inconsistent offers from its Customer Retention Department. When I couldn't get a consistent answer from anyone about what they might offer me as a competitive price to Comcast's, I asked for a supervisor. That's when things got ugly. Mark, a Saturday afternoon "supervisor," claimed that if I hadn't called I would still be billed for my previous services even though they had been disconnected. I'm not sure how disconnected services could still be billed to a customer. He also claimed that the discounts offered me by Customer Retention were lies and violations of the FCC. His attitude, demeanor and comments basically said that because I had chosen to leave CenturyLink, I was of no interest to them as a returning customer--even if I had been "gone" for no more than a few days. Total. Jerk.

And the comments about it taking 12 days to cancel services is no joke. I was told that if I wanted to reinstate my phone, they really couldn't give me a time line and it would take at least 7 business days. Although it would take only two days to reinstate internet service, it would delay the phone being reinstated as the two orders could not be worked on at the same time and no one works on these orders over the weekend. No kidding? I have yet to call them to see if they have in fact cancelled the billing for the services that have clearly been cancelled by them as of two days ago. I may get the same "12 days to cancel billing for services you're no longer getting" story. CenturyLink is a piece of work if you ever deign to reject them and go with another company.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·TracFone Wireless

First and foremost Century Link IS a TELEPHONE Company. They are licensed and registered with the FCC. They MUST maintain communications - even if NO ONE subscribes.

File a complaint with FCC and then file a complaint with your State Commerce Commission as they TOO have oversight on phone companies, plus gas and lights.

Then call the Better Business Bureau and the companies that report your credit to FICO (Fair Isaac) .

The commerce commissions do NOT have oversight on cable or internet; FCC does. CL billing process IS a problem. There is NO reason to have your credit checked to inquire about services. NEVER. It is another matter IF you want the service, and plan to order it; ONLY then it is required. They need an euphony.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Review by crazyk4952 See Profile

• Location: united state
Good "Fast upload, if you are close enough"
Bad "250GB monthly cap"
Overall "Good if you qualify for the 40/20 service."

·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
I have had CL for three months and have been satisfied overall. I am fortunate to qualify for 40Mbps download and 20Mbps upload speed. The main reason that I signed up for CL is for the 20Mbps upload. The local cable company only offers a pathetic 3Mbps upload on all of their tiers.

Pros:
-Fast upload speed
-Reliable (I have had no downtime)
-Ability to purchase a static IP address on a residential account
-Upload does not count towards monthly bandwidth cap

Cons:
-Dynamically assigned IP address changes frequently
-If you need a new phone jack installed, the cost is $100
-Maximum speed is dictated by your distance to the DSLAM.
-250GB monthly download cap is too low. They do not give you a way to track your bandwidth usage.

member for 12.5 years, 1929 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
phxpaul

join:2011-02-18
Tempe, AZ

Data cap?

I live in Tempe, AZ , a neighboring city to Phoenix. I've had Centurylink for 4 years. I have 40/5, with no data cap. I've never heard of such a thing out here.

crazyk4952
join:2002-02-04
united state
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric

Re: Data cap?

said by phxpaul:

Look at their Excessive Use Policy: »internethelp.centurylink.com/int···eup.html

Review by IT Guy See Profile

• Location: Las Cruces,Dona Ana,NM
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Cheaper than alternative with new customer, 1 year commitment"
Bad "Peering agreement issues with Google?"
Overall "After escelating support request, I am satisfied with the speeds I am getting for the promotional price"

Update: After going through some extended testing using a completely different computer I brought in for subsequent testing, I discovered that the problem was actually with a "network accelerator" that was installed along with my RealTek PCIe network card as a client under the Ethernet connection's properties called AppEx. When researching what it was, the company claims it is technology meant to improve broadband connections. It absolutely had the opposite result. Uninstalled and now I am receiving approx. 35 Mbps down.

One issue I still have is with YouTube videos not fully loading or not loading at all. There is quite an extensive thread about it on a Google Groups forum and apparently there is some sort of peering argument between CenturyLink and Google, at least that seems to be the overall consensus in the forum. Who is ultimately at fault is still unclear. »productforums.google.com/forum/#···5-false]

Original Review: I had signed up with CenturyLink's 40/5 Mbps plan back in January 2014 to escape the ever-increasing cost of Comcast's service which was now costing me around $80 /mo for half the bandwidth offered by CenturyLink. When I first had my CenturyLink service installed, I had tested the connection through speedtest.net and was receiving anywhere from 12 - 25 Mbps, still well under the advertised 40 Mbps, even taking into consideration the 15% overhead for routing as stated on their Web page, but it was acceptable to me. But here I am now, nearly 6 months into my service and I am lucky if I get 2.5 Mbps down now for several weeks. I have contacted support about it, stating nothing has changed on my premises, but I had noticed one of their small, 3' tall cabinets on the inlet street, only about maybe 10 yards from my house, is exposed to the elements with its guts hanging out. I can't help but wonder if this is contributing to the problem and I stated to their support, that they should check that cabinet out for damage and at the very least, secure their equipment before I make any appointments to have a tech. come out to my house to look for problems. I even provided pictures to their support people. Yet, their support seems to have a knee-jerk reaction in their reply, stating that I may be billed extra if I haven't signed up for their Line backer, data backer or CenturyLink@Ease service. I am sick of these loopholes that act as barriers to getting service restored properly and I really wish more of the burden was placed on the ISP. Overall I am pretty fed up with CenturyLink. There was a reason I chose to stay with Comcast for over a decade, despite their service not being stellar, I find them to at least be much more reliable and easier to work with than CenturyLink. The modem I am leasing is an Actiontech C1000A, I did a self-install, but a tech. was dispatched before I received my equipment to check out the lines, which checked out fine.

member for 10.1 years, 2682 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Other ISP's...

YES... With it's guts hanging out. It can contributing to the problem. Telephone equipment should be scattered around outside of it's weather box.

Do you know any of these guys for your ISP?? Wonder if they are any good.

»www.maxxwireless.com/wirelessinternet

»w3.zianet.com/

»www.fastwave.biz/

IT Guy
Ow, My Balls
join:2004-07-29
Las Cruces, NM

Re: Other ISP's...

I used to be on Zianet years ago before they were bought out and they were good back then. I know some people use both Zianet and Fastwave here at work, but I haven't heard any feedback one way or another. Most of the people are only using them for email and not access for some strange reason. Kind of like the old AOL carry overs I know. I think Zianet just piggy backs off of CenturyLink's connection anyway though. I did get my issue resolved after having it escalated, however the equipment still hasn't been secured and it has been that way for at least a month now.
Don't worry, scro. There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick-ass lives.

Ty

@208.54.32.x

They lost me as a customer

We spent an hour on hold nobody answered our call. And they were supposed to turn our internet on today. And we still have no internet. Done with centurylink going to comcast.

Nicole

@70.208.13.x

If there were any other company in the area

Centurylink has a monopoly on my area, but if there were any other possible alternative I would absolutely use any other service. First of all they have shut off my internet twice with no notices. They make me wait on hold constantly. I can't get in the auto pay because they want late charges. And they have pop ups stopping whatever I'm doing on the internet to take their survey or to ask whose using the internet. They have been the worst internet company I've ever dealt with.

Review by TechMike See Profile

• Location: Denver,Jefferson,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Static IPs for residential (optional). Tech Support is decent"
Bad "Customer service only available 8-6 M-F, unless ordering new service or tech support. Poor connection with 40/5 service"
Overall "Decent service for VDSL2. Higher speeds can be problematic."

I live in former Qwest territory with VDSL2. According to CenturyLink, we can get speeds up to 40/5. I signed up for the 40/5 service on a 29.99/mo promotion for 12 months with a 12 month contract.

I formerly had the 12/5 service and had absolutely no problems. This time around, however, I've had some poor connection reliability with the 40/5 service.

After a couple months of service, our modem retrained at 25/3. Tech support said this was due to excessive errors on our line. A technician came out, and performed maintenance on the 'F2'. After that, the modem reconnected at 40/5. There's been quite a few errors on the line and at least one retrain in the last 48 hours. After a couple weeks, I'll see how bad the service is and potentially call a technician out again.

*UPDATE: It is now a week later and we've had continuous errors, excessive line noise, and repeated retrains for 24 hours. CenturyLink scheduled a tech to come out in a week. I'm a little perturbed at this point.

*UPDATE2: Our line has been tremendously solid for the past day or so. I suspect work was done, possibly not related to my connection, but happened to resolve the issue.

Comments:

TheTruth

@97.116.26.x

Tell me about it 40/5 sucks

We're lucky get 20mbps with their 40mbps service. We had nearly a billion calls to these guys and five modems. Tech support cares about you but sucks at their jobs. Qwest spent 2 days installing our internet. CL didn't give a crap. We ended up buying a 200 dollar router which helped a lot, then swiched to Comcast. Only thing we're gonna miss is not having robot staff as support.
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Re: Tell me about it 40/5 sucks

Had Centurynolink for less than 30 days.. 7 meg download was lucky to hit 1 meg..

Geekster

@97.116.44.x

40/5 Sucky

Try getting a good router. We went through several modems, however a high grade router did a good job.

Review by dharper100 See Profile

• Location: Boardman,Morrow,OR
Good "Tech that came out (Kyle) was amazing. Great communication, fast install, friendly."
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Speeds as advertised, low latency, install tech was awesome."

Ordered bonded DSL (25/2). Took an extra few days as the tech needed to be dispatched. Tech was a day late, but texted me to let me know the status. Showed up early the next day and did the install. Got a Technicolor CT2000A modem, which is one of the better ones. I ran a shielded cat5e cable from NID to jack. Tech wired at the NID, I wired the jack and installed modem.

So far, things are working as advertised. ~50ms ping, 24.5Mb/s download, 1.8Mb/s upload. Consistent speeds, and service doesn't choke with multiple downloads, gaming, browsing and streaming simultaneously.

Eastern Oregon, small town. 5500 feet from CO (per DSL modem status).

Comments:

chamb267

@67.235.81.x

Pricing

Dharper,
Can you elaborate on your pricing.
I have 10 meg down with CL along with standard phone service.
My price for the DSL is 50 dollars on my bill. About 38 dollars for the phone.
I recently asked about the speeds you have and I was told it will be $75 just for the increased DSL speed.
So far, I declined. Seemed high to me.

Are you on a special package that will eventually expire and go much higher in price?
dharper100

join:2014-07-16

Re: Pricing

It is $71.95 (plus taxes) for the 25/2. Price locked for 2 years. After that, I'm hoping that either A. price stays the same or B. faster speeds are available for the same price or less.

The 10/1 was $29.95 a month (plus taxes), but the 25/2 was a better choice for me.

I was paying $60 a month for 6/1 (Wireless ISP), and it rarely worked at those speeds. For speeds, I am doing excellent. The tech has been amazing with communication, and is extremely helpful. This alone has made me love the service already. He's dedicated to making it perfect, which I rarely see (I work in IT, so I work with several companies for internet service at work).

This is for a dry DSL line, no phone service included. They do have bundles, which make it a little higher. I just have no need for a land line anymore.

I was finally able to play online gaming for the first time in a long time without any lag. I had a great time, and I think it's worth it. I do use the network connection for work, as well, so I chalk some of it up to a required expense.

Review by Mr Matt See Profile

• Location: Eustis,Lake,FL
Good "Reasonable price, easy installation, very competent technicial support, no contract, Speed issues corrected.."
Overall "Good value if you can schedule large downloads during off peak periods."

This review combines CenturyLink Voice and Broadband service.

I finally received a solicitation from CenturyLink that I was actually interested in. The reason for my interest is that I just received notice from Comcast that as of January 1, 2012 internet access was increasing by $4.00 per month from $43.95 to $47.95 plus taxes and fees. That is in addition to a $1.00 increase last year from $42.95 to $43.95. An increase of about 12% over two years.

The solicitation I received from CenturyLink offered to add 10Mbps down and 768Kbps up, to my existing voice service for $15.00 per month plus modem rental fee of $3.90 per month and taxes and other fees. I was paying $63.04 per month for local service, unlimited long distance and unlimited features. I estimate that my monthly cost will be about $85.00 per month with the addition of Broadband service. The deal also includes a 5 Year price lock and no contract. I will update the cost information when I receive my next bill. Speed varies depending on time of day from 10Mbps+ download speed during off peak hours to as low as 2Mbps during peak hours. When I first signed up with Comcast service in December of 2006 the maximum download speed was 6Mbps and regularly fell to below 2Mbps during peak traffic periods.

Pre-sales information: I was not advised of all costs to install the HSI service. The customer service representative indicated that he was waiving all installation costs. My bill includes a $14.95 Shipping/Handling fee to deliver the modem plus a $15.95 HSI activation fee. There is also a modem rental fee of $3.90 per month which we did discuss. I expect to purchase a modem so the modem rental fee will be eliminated.

Order/Installation: When I confirmed the price I placed the order immediately, for the 10Mbps service. I received the modem in about two days. I had already installed a DSL splitter so all I had to do was plug in the modem and it automatically configured itself. The next step was to fill out some forms on the CenturyLink website to activate service, create passwords and set up a primary email account.

Equipment: CenturyLink sent a ZyXEL EQ-660R-F1 combination modem router. A generic version of this modem router is available at retail under the ZyXEL product code P-660R-D1.

I really did not have any bad experience save the sales CSR not fulfilling his promise to wave the HSI installation fee. On the other hand I was very satisfied with CenturyLinks technical support when I contacted them to learn how to bridge the modem. As soon as the first level technician realized that my request was above their level of knowledge I was immediately transferred to the second level technical support. The technician advised me of how to bridge the modem and warned me to be sure I released the IP address to avoid being locked out of the DSLAM until the lease period of the IP address timed out.

I strongly recommend that anyone not familiar with DSL service read the installation manual for the ZyXEL P-660R-DI to familiarize themselves with the modem router to improve the installation experience.

Compatible Modems: I have already purchased three modems and returned one. The ZyXEL P-660-D1 provides some of the same features and functions that the CenturyLink supplied modem provides. One feature that the retail version lacks is a release and renew radio button that should be used when placing the modem in the bridged mode. The Actiontec GT710D provides similar features and does include a release and renew button. Both modems provided the same performance as the CenturyLink provided modem. Specifically 10Mbps+ down and 760Kbps up. Both modems are on the list of CenturyLink supported modems. I returned a TP-Link TD-8816 because while it was able to provide 10Mbps+ down it was unable to provide higher than 550Kbps up.

It is now July 2014 and CenturyLink broadband service has improved significantly since my last review. CenturyLink has improved their network for broadband customers in order to be able to provide Prism IPTV Service. CenturyLink is offering higher speed service in some locations at higher prices, for those customers that need same. I still have 10 Meg down and 768K up. Upload and download speeds are now more consistent. I have not experienced any price increases since CenturyLink Broadband was installed. CenturyLink Telephone service is always reliable and transmission is always clear.

member for 6.5 years, 1756 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:
CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

Billing/Service issue

Hello Mr Matt,
If there is anything you need assistance resolving regarding your CenturyLink billing or services, we can help. Please email us the account and address info at TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com, we can get you taken care of.
Regards,
Steve

Review by mrphil See Profile

• Location: Tucson,Pima,AZ
Good "Faster speed, less cost, more phone features, little effort on my part to save money and get faster speeds"
Overall "Good solid service, good price"

I've been with CenturyLink since took over Qwest. See my previous review of Qwest here: »/comment/53907

On March 28th I was at an event where CenturyLink had one of their stores set up. I think they got me when they said "Free Modem". After looking at my current account with them, they indicated they could reduce my monthly charges and upgrade me from 1.5M/896 ADSL to 12M/896 VDSL. After a few minutes discussion I told them to go ahead and left with C1000A modem.

Installation/upgrade was set for April 4th.

Took the model home and configured it for my current service and swapped it in. The evening of the 3rd of April the DSL change was done and the modem switched without any issues from ADSL to VDSL

Speed is as advertised and no problems with the line or modem. The only time DSL has been down is when I've rebooted the modem. Currently it's been up for 63 days straight.

Price before the change was $71.84 and after it's $ 55.54. This includes a single landline which I need for work (cell phones don't let you talk for 20+ hours straight). The phone now has more features than I know what to do with, but I'm figuring them out. And yes, there have been no charges for the modem.

Yes, the price will go up after one year, but we will see what they can offer at that point.

member for 13.1 years, 2126 visits, last login: a few hours ago