CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by mdhtx See Profile

• Location: Athens,Henderson,TX
Good "no problems everything has been pretty smooth"
Bad "none at the moment"
Overall "it beats the wireless out here in price and speed go with centurylink"

They now offer DSL in the sticks!!!!!!!! It's about time!
The speed is ok at the moment they are doing alot of work out here on the lines.
6mb/512 up

Comments:

Review by Slippery616 See Profile

• Location: Littleton,Arapahoe,CO
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Well done Centurylink"
Overall "Love it but, nothing lasts forever."

VDSL2 40Mbs and Phone plus (long distance pay as you go) at $69.95 for 3 years locked in and no contract. Ordered at 8pm on Mon and promised delivery of self install by Fri at 8pm. The modem arrived Fri am. After checking out supported equipment, I went with purchasing a Zycel 2000c from them.

A Centurylink phone tech showed up at 4pm Fri to tell me the phone service was on and internet should be on too. I had already been preparing for the event and was online in 5 minutes. Service is averaging 37.5mbs d/l and 4.7 u/p. No correctables or retrains. I am well satisfied.

I knew my phone wiring was solid and in good condition from 30 years of phone service. So, after being told that I now had "fiber to the node" and VDSL2 Mon, I went for it.

Comcast did a great job of supporting their very good service for many years but the price increases did me in. I am retired, disabled and on fixed income so, getting back my reliable landline (which I now need badly) and 40mb vdsl2 with phone for $75 was better than performance tier (25/5) and digital voice for $95 and no phone during problems, was a nobrainer. I had shutoff the cable about a year ago and am enjoying HD OTA TV. Turned out, I didn't mind all the commercials and reruns because they were free and much better quality. The savings from no cable paid for a new LG HD TV. and because of that brave step (am thoroughly addicted to TV) I was able to terminate Comcast entirely after the latest $2.00 + tax increase.

All's well that ends in the well.

member for 10.7 years, 3632 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ramsaso

join:2014-01-04
Houston, TX

To pay even cheaper...

I would suggest looking in their tariff under "promotions" or something of that sort so that you can pay less I believe...

Review by Secretagtman See Profile

• Location: La Crosse,La Crosse,WI
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Speed is as advertised."
Bad "Not as fast as I would love to have!"
Overall "After a few hurtles the speed is nice to have."

·Consolidated Com..
11/21/14: This review is from 2001 and most likely no longer relevant to services one would find today. It made its way back to the top from an accidental edit.

--Original Review--

I got ADSL when it first was introduced and have had wonderful download and upload speeds since then. I usually get around 430kbps down and 150-200kbps up. The service and CenturyTel is nothing fantastic, but they can usually get the job done. When I ordered the service it took about 1 month for the modem to arrive, and about 6 weeks for them to turn on the switch, they were not exactly in a rush to give me service I guess. The self-install kit was very straight forward. The day they said the switch was going to be on, I set it all up, got to the point where I needed my username and password and realized that I did not have one. I called the support number and the rep. said that their computers showed that I didn't have one registered with them either. After about 35 minutes on the phone getting that fixed, I got a username, put it in my router, and was set to go. I have experienced downtime on their end only a couple times, but that issue was quickly resolved, and have also gone through a period of very poor speeds, but that is way in the past since they put in some faster lines. I believe it was due to over-subscribing users to the service. Using a newer firmware release and my Linksys router has been great. No need to bother with computer end installed software, and if the connection is dropped the router will automatically log back on to keep the connection live.

I would love to have minimum 3 times the speed, but I still can recall the days of dial-up service.

Comments:

Review by coryw See Profile

• Location: Flagstaff,Coconino,AZ
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Customer Support"
Bad "Speeds, transparency"
Overall "I would do it again"

I had CenturyLink at my previous house a few miles away. It was an area that they’d converted to VDSL2, and I was extremely happy with my 20m/896k service. It was installed exactly on time (in fact, the installer arrived early and my housemate had to let them in) and once it was installed, I was able to sign in, set a password, and start paying for the service immediately. In a year, it only went down for any significant amount of time once, and there’s a good chance it was my own fault, because I do not use the modem in default settings, and I try very hard to reboot the modem (well, “gateway” really, I bought an ActionTec Q1000 from them) only as an extreme last resort. It bears mentioning that I have a static IP ($5/mo plus a small set-up fee) and they let me unblock port 25 on a residential line.

In June of 2013, I moved to my current address. I was aware that I would only get 1.5 megabit service, and that I’d be on an ADSL circuit, but I was okay with that because no longer would I need to share it with three or four housemates when their line with the cableco went down and they were unwilling to call. I was worried about how long I’d be able to last on a 1.5mbit line before breaking down and moving to the cable company.

The installation was prompt, but it happened when I wasn’t around, so i wasn’t sure which of the several phone jacks in my new house had service on it. I eventually found the jack and got everything running. What I found, though, was that the service was pretty intermittent. For a while, I blamed it on the PowerLine adapters I’d bought years ago and which had a tendency to overheat and become disconnected. I eventually started checking the modem and found that it had retrained a bunch of times. I kept a log of this and it was a fairly insane number of times. Once every hour at the peak, before I called and scheduled a time for a tech to come out.

The tech was able to move my line to another port in the house, which means I now have the modem near the rest of my network. The line seemed to get better, and then suddenly to get worse.

Deciding I couldn’t take another full day off of work, only to have the tech show up within five minutes of the tail end of the promised period, and have no changes in the line, I gathered my findings and sent them off to CenturyLink’s help e-mail, talktous@centurylink.com. The response was mildly helpful — have you hooked it up at the demarc, have you reset the modem, etc.

Cringing, I dutifully repeated those tasks, and aded “hooking it up at the demarc” to my list of things to test. No change. About a quarter of the way through the exchange, I also swapped out my Q1000 (a nice VDSL2 modem with gigabit wired networking and wireless N) for an M1000 (without the ethernet or wireless add-ons) that my housemate had laying around. I configured it and connected another router to use as a switch and wireless access point. The whole thing seemed to be a little bit better, but it was still not stable enough to, say, download an album from iTunes. (which quits doing anything if the network has a disruption for too long.)

Another quarter in, the tech sent me a ZyXEL PK5001z, which is almost worse in that it has Wireless N, but only 10/100 ethernet. That modem wasn’t much better, but a day or so later, I got an e-mail saying that they adjusted some settings at the CO or on the DSLAM. From that point forward, the connection has been stable no matter what I put on it, and to avoid the “your Q1000 isn’t compatible” line I received earlier, but so as not to need two different networking devices, I’ve replaced the PK5001Z with a Netgear DGN D3700, which has an ADSL/ADSL2+ modem, a good router, a gigabit switch, and a dual-band Wireless N access point all in one device. At least one company doesn’t presume that just because I’m stuck on ADSL for my WAN, I want a terrible LAN. (I recently received a site message suggesting that hardware reviews will be available soon. I will be taking advantage of that feature.)

My third ever phone call with CenturyLink was to reset my PPPoE password for the D3700, which went very well and the tech insisted that I stay on the line and ensure I was able to get to two different web sites before terminating the call, which I thought was excellent.

Since then, every once in a while I e-mail CenturyLink, just to ask them about upgrades and let them know that 1.5 megabits is terrible. In that time, I have been told so many different things about my area that I’m honestly not sure what to believe. For example, in no particular order, I’ve been told that my house is so far out I barely qualify for DSL at all, let alone 1536/896 kilobits, that the DSLAM is full, that the DSLAM is not fed by fiber and therefore nothing beyond 1536 is physically possible, and that bonding is available, but only via business, and by the business group, I was told that the DSLAM is indeterminately “full.”

Later on, I actually found out from advice on here and from my Q1000 that the “last mile” part of my loop is actually reasonable, and that on VDSL2 it should be pretty fast, but that it is nigh on impossible to know when your area is going to be upgrade. My city is listed as a VDSL2 market, but there’s no indication at all of when that’s going to actually be available to the whole city. In addition, I haven’t really gotten a straight answer from CenturyLink on why my modem might claim it can connect faster, but this isn’t something they’ve deployed, how much it will cost them to make it happen, and whether or not it’s on the docket. The best advice I’ve received on this matter is from Frontier Communications employees, which is that in former Bell system companies, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Ultimately, I’m with CenturyLink because I have had hellaciously bad experiences with the local cable company, and to make matters worse, the cableco is often the default choice here, so it’s difficult to get my own line installed with them. For as slow as CenturyLink is, my tales of woe with the cableco are absolutely harrowing, and their customer support is completely abhorrent, and in order to do some of the things I’m doing, I’d be paying more than twice as much with the cableco than I do with CenturyLink.

I would do it again, and if I move again, I will ensure to check available speeds before-hand and try to get into a neighborhood with better speeds, but I will mention that I’m bothered that within the same relatively small town, there’s such a huge difference in the services available. I’m not exactly far away from anything, and my neighborhood is of approximately standard American suburb density. Fortunately, I believe my service is being hampered by a single piece of equipment that simply hasn’t been replaced yet, and there’s no indication that (because it was installed slightly less than ten years ago) it will ever be replaced.

I would throw money at CenturyLink in the form of bonded DSL + phone, or a CoreConnect business account, if those services were available here.

2014-11-18: added speedtests in the evening and cap information.

member for 360 days, 280 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TAZ

@qwest.net

Keep trying

IMO, keep trying to figure out the local setup yourself. It's difficult to trust anything CSRs tell you, as you've found.

First thing I would do is try to find where the cross box and DSLAM are. The fact they're "qualifying" you for bonded seriously makes me wonder if there is another Ethernet-fed DSLAM at your cross box. Their record keeping is extremely poor (I recently learned this myself). Knowing where this is will allow you to know for certain if this is the case, and also know if there is fiber available there (there would usually be an orange pole with a fiber sticker on it).

On that last point: I am in a subdivision in Tucson, built in 2000. Fiber was built to the cross box from day one but not used until 2009 when they upgraded the DSLAM's T1 uplinks to GigE over fiber.

Look for a place with a power meter and at least two cabinets. Qwest seems to use various different cabinet styles for their cross boxes (on one street here I have seen at least 3 different variations). Since you're on an older DSLAM, there's a number of models they could have used so it's hard to say what the size of that cabinet would be. (Still happy to look around for you, if you want to post a gmaps link to a nearby location.)

Review by haysucka See Profile

• Location: Champlin,Hennepin,MN
Good "Speed, Price, Stability"
Bad "Sloppy Installtion"
Overall "Little problems with connection"

It works great, stable connection the whole time. The only problem with the install was - he left some stripped down telephone wires near the NID. I worked for a cable company and always picked up my scraps/garbage. I currently subscribe to 20mb and always get it. As far as equipment goes, I have a Zxyel gateway modem. I had no trouble in getting the wireless function turned through tech support (wished I could do it myself), and local tech support was also nice. Please keep that up. But all in all decent experience, I know my rate will push up to $65/month after one year.

Comments:

Review by neill6705 See Profile

• Location: Little Falls,Morrison,MN
Good "Consistent connection that's faster than what we're paying for."
Bad "Horrible CPE, overly aggressive sales people."
Overall "Great service, but bring your own modem."

We've had Centurylink for about a month and a half now. I've been very pleased with they're service. We're paying for 20/0.896mbps and speedtest.net consistently shows 24.4/0.85mbps. We haven't had any downtime in the time we've had them. One of my only complaints is the sales people. I've been in a sales position before and I know the importance of upselling but when the customer knows exactly he/she wants, don't try and jam the stuff they don't want down their throat. I lost count of how many times I had to say no to a land line (we have VoIP from Ooma), Verizon, Direct TV, their at ease antivirus tech support bundle, etc. I didn't really deal with any field techs. Since we were just using our NID for DSL, I unhooked out home phone wiring from the terminals as the Ooma is feeding that and ran a piece of Cat5e to a jack just for DSL myself. This leads to my only other complaint - the customer premise equipment. I bought an Actiontec C1000A. Worst $100 I've ever spent. It had thousands of CRC and hundreds of thousands or millions of FEC errors every day. A week later I replaced it with a ZyXel P873HNUP and all my issues went away. On a bad day it has a few hundred FEC errors and basically no CRC errors. Bring your own router, unless you get a C2000T (based on what I've read).

Overall, the service has been very fast and consistent. Once you get past the annoying sales people, If you're near the DSLAM and the copper loop is of decent quality, you should be very satisfied with the service.

A couple updates: We've lost our over-provision, so we are at exactly 20mbps now instead of 24 mbps we were getting earlier. I'm a bit disappointed, but obviously I can't fault them for it since I'm getting what I'm paying for.

We had a bridge tap that was causing a lot of instability for our connection. I explained to the phone support person that I had troubleshot it to the NID and we were able to skip all the tedious power cycling they normally have you go through. She dispatched a technician right away. The tech was polite, friendly, identified the bridge tap within minutes, and had the issue corrected within an hour. I was very satisfied with the call.

member for 130 days, 153 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by chapmanjw See Profile

• Location: Aurora,Arapahoe,CO
Good "Superfast gigabit internet service"
Bad "Make sure you get the Technicolor C2000T modem to get the 900+ speeds"
Overall "Gigabit internet for $99, that's awesome"

I bought a new house in 2013 and CenturyLink had fiber service running to the homes in the neighborhood. I was previously a Comcast customer, however since my neighborhood was so new, Comcast wasn't yet available (though all the lines had been run, etc.). So, since I needed Internet for work, I had to go CenturyLink. I signed up for the fastest service I could at the time (100 Mbps) and was very happy with it. Last month, the 1 Gbps service became available and I signed up immediately. Since I already had a fiber-based service, all they had to do was flip a switch on their end and a few hours later I began seeing the new speeds.

The new speeds are fantastic, I don't think I could ever go back to slower speeds now, LOL.

My only "complaint" and I'm not really complaining, just can't get over 830 Mbps or so. I've done various speed tests, tried downloading multiple streams, etc., I can never get above 830 or so. Still awesome, but not quite as advertised. (If anyone has suggestions of anything I might do here, I'd be very grateful. Thanks).

UPDATE: I had the wrong modem. After switching my modem for a Technicolor C2000T, I now see 935+ download speeds.

Comments:
OpTiC
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

830mbps

You can't get higher than 830mbps because the problem is gigabit ethernet. To get full gigabit you need a 10gbps ethernet port. The 10 gigabit ethernet hasn't been released. I would wait for 2-5 years for 10gbps.
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

You cant get it because thats what they actually give you...

In all honesty, that's all you're supposed to get. If you go to ctlhelp.com, and do a speed test it will have the target speeds above. Of which the target gig speeds is 800mbps.

chapmanjw
join:2014-10-07
Aurora, CO

Re: You cant get it because thats what they actually give you...

So the issue was I had the wrong modem. They switched it out for a Technicolor C2000T today. I now get 935 up and 935 down on a single computer. If I do two computers at the same time, I see 775 on one and 225 on the other.
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Re: You cant get it because thats what they actually give you...

Ah. well good you get those speeds. I cant wait until I do

HopelessNerd

@70.58.170.x

I hate you :P

I have 1.5 Megabit DSL and am excited to finally get 12 Megabit installed on Monday. My hoped for internet speed is less than a rounding error on yours... therefore you are *hated by me.

*Metaphorically of course as I don't actually hate anyone.

chapmanjw
join:2014-10-07
Aurora, CO

Re: I hate you :P

I seriously can never move (unless its to another fiber area).

Was Yea

@184.195.58.x

Re: I hate you :P

All that speed and I still own you on cstrike

Review by GilbertMark See Profile

• Location: Gilbert,Maricopa,AZ
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Easy online sign up and LOW prices even without the price lock, PROFESSIONAL installer!"
Bad "Automated phone call led to ugly support call!"
Overall "Glad Cox has competition!"

·Cox HSI
Update 9/28/14

25 hour outage! We did have some good rain the previous day but it had ended some 10 hours before. Woke up to the answering machine beeping and telling me to set the time. The power only flickered for a second since some of the clocks weren't flashing 12, but that was more than enough for Centurylink to go down. Never did find out what actually happened. I liked that they had an automated system where I was able to confirm the outage right away. I asked to be notified when the outage was over (I never received that phone call). It is what it is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------

Update 9/20/14

We have just passed the 1 year mark of service and our bill has gone from $52 a month to $86 a month. No increase in service for us. We have the 20 meg down package with local phone only. No TV. The honeymoon is clearly over. I'm looking into alternatives.

I looked at Cox again but their cheapest package is $77 a month but I don't want TV and the internet is a lowly 5 meg down service. Dish is a joke as their internet if you're lucky is 15 and they force you to lease the equipment. Don't know what I'll do. If I knew Centurylink service was going to be reliable I would've signed a price lock guarantee. But after our MISERABLE experience with AT&T DSL I'll never sign a DSL contract again. Basically we paid them for lousy service, tech visits that did nothing and a waste of our time being lost from going to work to meet with those people.

Update 11/11/13

Well we called today. We told them we never receive a normal bill. We go straight to disconnect notice every month. The problem with the disconnect notice is it only provides an amount due, it doesn't list the breakdown of the price. We're getting hit for about $14 in taxes so it's not a $38 bill.

Also anyone who signs up online (like we did) receives disconnect notices for the first couple months... Weird.

Update 11/9/13

We've received two bills since our service began. Both of them were disconnect notices. And both of them were for $100 +.

Do they have monkeys working in the billing department?

When the heck are we going to start seeing bills for $38? We signed up for a $38 dollar a month account. I have all the screen shots of the sign up process to prove it.

NOT IMPRESSED with the billing department so far as I have to worry about being losing service every month.

Update 11/1/13

We experienced our first DSL outage on 11/1/13. It started around 7 p.m. and lasted until midnight. It was a big outage and affected the entire Phoenix area. Eh, things happen no big deal.

Update 9/12/13

We've had service for 1 week and endured a couple days of heavy rain (which would normally wipe out or DSL back in San Francisco in a heart beat) and no issues whatsoever. A Century Link person rang our door bell today. Sadly, I heard none of the conversation. My better half says he said something about having upgraded the neighborhood recently with faster service? Speedtest says 30 ms ping, 24.35 Mbps down .81 Mbps up. Not bad for the 20 Mbps package.

This review is being written on day 1 of service which I think was 14 days (or less) from when we placed our order online. We already had Cox so we weren't in a rush for service.

We were previously with Cox and had the TV, phone, Internet bundle. We'd always hated the prices and tried over the last 6.5 years to downgrade services to save money. We tried to remove things but they'd tell us they were just going to raise the price on the remaining items. We got rid of the digital box, downgraded the TV package. It lowered the bill a little but finally we'd had enough. Cox clearly doesn't care about long term customers so we left. $110 for phone and Internet? Bye.

We went to CenturyLink's site and signed up. $34.18 for phone and Internet. Yes we were losing nationwide, but so what we have tons of rollover minutes on the cell phone. The download speed wasn't as good as what Cox advertises (which I don't believe is true anyway as it was the 50Mbps Premier package and we weren't getting that speed). We ordered the 20 Mbps service package and decided to buy the modem. We didn't select the price lock guarantee so we'll see how long our rock bottom price lasts.

The modem arrived two days before the install date. It didn't have a manual so I looked around online. We received the C1000A (which from Amazon and other reviews looks to be a real hunk of junk). I set up all the equipment next to our Apple Extreme base station which will handle the wireless work. I hear it's best not to tax the CPU in the Actiontec modem.

The following day we received an automated phone call from CenturyLink and my wife didn't catch all of the message. It said something about our install appointment. She called CenturyLink to find out what they wanted. The person who helped her started out okay with trying to be informative but the call quickly turned into a scripted sales pitch. My wife got flustered with the call (I don't blame her I hate this crap too) so she gave me the phone. I have no patience for customer service people especially when they stick to the script so I let him have it telling him we didn't call for a sales pitch, we just wanted information.

The installer Luis arrived a day later. My wife was home and Luis was very professional. We were initially told on the phone that no one would come into the house as we had not selected to have the equipment set up nor a computer set up (which we didn't need being people who have grown up around technology since the 70s.)

He was happy all the gear was set up already and wired and easily accessible so he proceeded to do his thing. He called in to port our number. While he was waiting on hold he directed my wife through the setup and had her disable the built in wireless (she told him we wanted to use our airport instead). She opened a browser and continued the setup process and got us online in no time.

The Airport Extreme was blinking yellow but worked fine. We had a double NAT situation so I shut that off in the Airport. My wife tested our connection and it runs faster than Cox did. I came home to working Internet. It was nice that I didn't have to do anything besides shove the desk back in place. I love that we only have one modem now instead of the two Cox made us use.

I'll keep you posted. The last time we had DSL was living in Pacifica (just south of San Francisco) and loss of sync was a daily ritual. It didn't help that the phone lines were all old and above ground and we lived within 500 feet of the ocean. Here in Gilbert everything is new and underground.

I'm waiting on loss of sync issues and the modem dying (as many have written about), and the price to be raised on our service after awhile. We'll see.

Luis you rock! You were the best thing about our experience.

Comments:

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·TracFone Wireless

I didn't have ...

No sync issues. I had tons of problems when they upgraded and did not upgrade my modem. I had other problems with the phone and uplink. With your 20/5 you should not have any of those issues.

If you do install a whole house filter in the box on the side of your house. Remove all the inside phone filters. The phone performs better and won't fail (they say) when the internet is down.

Since then I've had intermittent brief outages as they say they move 'things' around. Where we live we probably won't see an appreciable upgrade until DSL and its various reincarnations die.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Review by greatshow09 See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Price is fine -for me. $29.95 for 40mbps, hasn't changed and I still have the 4 year lock from Qwest :)."
Bad "Took awhile to fix the speed problems. Turned out an expensive router did the trick. Ping kinda' is bad too 40 ms."
Overall "Unless CL Fiber is coming to your house soon, the speeds are slow. However, worth the price."

Ok So here's the full story, scroll down for something less, well big.

We've been with Qwest since 2008, the most remembered part was their dedication when they spent TWO DAYS instaling ADSL to our house. Since then, we were happy 12mbps customer, that never wanted to switch after a horrible experience at Comcast, and all the way up 'till recently when Centurylink bought 'em out, we were as happy as could be. Once CL came along though, we had our second nightmare. No, night-terror. For the first few months, CL was fine, they got VDSL hooked up to our house and we swapped over to 20mbps. The connection was fine and we averaged speeds at 17mbps. However, once 40mbps came along, we jumped on the offer and upgraded. This is when it got bad, wireless speeds were far from 40mbps and we went through six, yeah six, modems -great. All of which were crappy Zyxel and Actiontec modems. After several calls to CL customer representatives all were nice but almost useless, changing channels, ports and of course modems. After none of that worked we said screw you and said we were switching back to Comcast and getting their Blast plan. As a house of geeks we asked for linebackers to show up -nothing was wrong. That was it, we called Comcast and setup an account they were to setup service just a bit later. Turned out the problem was a crappy signal from all the modems that only made it through one room in our house. The router brought our house to the speeds needed and after all that hell all is well now.

To cut it to the chase:

We had a mixed experience with CL and went through several modems and representatives it took months to get our house to 40mbps.

The Techs were friendly, but rather useless. Price is great $29.95 for four years (They let us keep our lock from Qwest... Sort of.).

Their modems suck, and signal only covers a room of our house. So, I would suggest buying a good router like our $200 Nighthawk.

CL Fiber (Up to 1gbps) is coming to our area. So, we aren't going anywhere. Comcast kills their DSL on regards to speed though.

member for 1.4 years, 65 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by cgreene See Profile

• Location: Roanoke Rapids,Halifax,NC
Good "Great speeds, good service, great field techs"
Bad "None that I can think of so far"
Overall "CenturyLink has been great from the time I order until going live"

After a 7 year wait for broadband, DSL finally came to my area on 2-15-10. I have been on dialup, satellite, 3G through the years. Always around T1 or better at work. I am about 3,000 feet from the RT so I ordered the 10 meg for 69.90 a month bundled with local phone service. Ordered over the phone and service was turned on 2-15-10 on the first day available. The local service techs Junior and Cory did a great job. The modem is a 660R in bridged mode. I am also using a Linksys 400N router. Speeds so far are always ~9850 to 9900 down and 840-850 up using speedtest.net or speakeasy.net. This has been a smooth ride so far. I will update as time goes.

10/08/2010

Still going strong after 8 months. Speeds are always there and no downtime. Wish everything was like this.

8/9/2011

After 18 months service is still GREAT! No downtime and speeds are still what I pay for. On the 10 meg plan I always get 10 or a little better down and 87 up. The first three or four hops are in the 8-10 ms range. It is like this 24/7. Very happy with CenturyLink.

7/15/12

Still receiving great service from CenturyLink. I am on the 10/896 package and speeds are right on target 24/7. Service has gone down once in over 2 years. That was due to a hurricane. I checked the modem stats a few days ago. This modem has been up for 6,643 + hours. Truly amazing!

11/19/13

Time for a update. The 10/896 has been great the past 16 months with no problems. After checking with CenturyLink founded out DSLAM has been upgraded to VDSL2 service. I am 3423 feet from the DSLAM and could receive 25/2 package. The line tech and inside tech showed up as scheduled and were up and down the road for a hour or so. They then ran cat 5 from the NID to the inside jack. Line sync is 25023/2014. I am getting a SOLID 23.5/1.90 at all times. What is interesting is these numbers are over a SINGLE PAIR and not bonded. Can't say enough about the techs that did the line and install work. They were great! CenturyLink has been GREAT for me over the years.

August 2014

Nothing new to report. CenturyLink has not been down once since last review. Still receiving 23.5/1.9 24/7. A few months ago did switch out the modem from Actiontec C1000A to Zyxel C1000Z. Don't really see any difference except the modem stats on the Zyxel are complete. Very happy with CenturyLink.

member for 11 years, 4770 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·TracFone Wireless

I Agree

CL techs can make small miracles when they have the something to work with,but they can't pull 10/1 over dialup. Where I live, my miracle worker is an old lineman whose been with the company for years.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside