CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by jamesmil See Profile

• Location: Seattle,King,WA
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Incredibly fast, great install, great value"
Bad "Included router doesn't do AC wireless, some confusion over using my own"
Overall "CenturyLink 1G Fiber is the best internet service yet."

It all started about a month ago.

CenturyLink has been heavily advertising their new 1Gig service in Seattle, but my neighborhood has never been listed as one served by fiber. To date, I've had Comcast/Xfinity Extreme 150 internet package, which has been mostly fine, though the speed could be inconsistent during the evening, and the price is quite high. We've always maintained a CenturyLink telephone line and when you add the two bills together, our monthly cost was over $200.

Then, about a month ago, I noticed a truck in our neighborhood stringing new fiber optic cabling down along the telephone poles. I sent a tweet to @CenturyLinkSeattle to ask if this might mean their 1G service was coming sooner rather than later to our neighborhood. The responded quickly, but merely pointed me back to the "Fiber to the Press Release" website, which still had no mention of our neighborhood. Then last week, I noticed a post on Reddit, which mentioned an email, gig.seattle@centurylink.com, that was monitored by field sales supervisors who could tell you more about availability. So I wrote them and asked about the cable that had been hung on the poles.

Within an hour, they emailed back that yes, in fact, the 1Gig service was available at my house, and including the cost of our existing phone line, the price would be $125/mo, guaranteed for three years without contract. They scheduled the install appointment for the following Thursday, everything was handled over email, the thread continued into the weekend as they offer to answer any questions I might have. In fact it was so easy and pleasant, and still no public information about our neighborhood being served, I assumed that it would all fall apart and a tech would show up telling me there had been a mistake and try to sell me DSL.

On Tuesday, a tech knocked on the door to let us know he would be running a new cable from the telephone pole to the side of our house in preparation for the upcoming installation. On the day of the appointment, I had a service window between 9am - 1pm. The tech called at 9:15am to say he was 10 minutes away, and arrived at 9:25. He was extremely polite, looked at the side of the house where the phone box was, and my basement where the network equipment was, and explained everything he would be doing.

The install consisted of replacing my existing phone box with a new (only slightly larger) ONT endpoint, mounting a UPS on the wall in my basement, and running power from there up to the new ONT. The internet itself came from the ONT on a CAT6 cable, no modem is required.

The install took approximately two hours, and was trouble free. The tech said I was the first house in the area to be connected to the new infrastructure. He said that while the instals are time consuming, the infrastructure is more reliable and easier to maintain then the legacy copper and CL hopes to eventually replace it all. Neighborhoods with telephone poles are first, as no additional permits are required to deploy.

When he was done, we ran a speedtest -- seeing both download and upload over 900Mbps is a pretty amazing thing -- for the first time ever, my connection to the internet was as fast or faster then my local network in the home. I was receiving a 8x download and 20x upload speed boost, while saving nearly $100/mo over what I had been paying for Phone + Internet previously. Up and running without a hitch in less than a week from my initial contact with the CenturyLink sales team.

When the install was complete, I was equally surprised (despite earlier assurances) that there was no contract sign, not even a release for the install (note, having an existing CenturyLink account likely made this easier). Only an email a few hours later saying my service change request had been completed.

The downsides? None really. The only challenge I have had so far, is I don't like the internet router they provided ($100 purchase, vs a $7/mo lease) as much as my own. They provide a CenturyLink branded ActionTel C2000A router. It is very, very fast and perfectly capable, but I already have a high end ASUS RT-AC87U, which supports AC wireless networking, and more high end features (VPN, better monitoring, guest networks, etc).

The ASUS does support PPPoE WAN connections, but because of the way the VLAN is tagged on the CenturyLink network, it doesn't connect as is. I'm told that I can work with the CenturyLink tech support team to configure the VLAN to work with my modem, but so far I haven't been successful in making this happen (I'll update this review when I do). Note, this is not a huge negative, the provided router is perfectly fine for 99% of our household activity. Our house is now significantly faster than most of the rest of the internet... we are limitless.

I can't believe my good fortune to qualify for this service, and I the high quality interactions I've had with CenturyLink field sales staff and technical installers as part of this experience prompted me to write this review. While there is no contract holding me, I can't imagine every giving up this amazing service.

member for 10.8 years, 11 visits, last login: a few hours ago
lodged a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by wesm See Profile

• Location: Seattle,King,WA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Very, very, very fast; reliable connection; no data transfer cap"
Bad "Expensive; install has some rough edges"
Overall "If you can get their fiber service, get it"

I'm in an area where CenturyLink started rolling out fiber-to-the-home in Seattle. Once it I saw it as available on my street through their web site, I took immediately put in an order for gigabit fiber. (Placing an order did result in a hard credit inquiry on my TransUnion report even though they didn't ask for my social security number.)

The first install date was six days after the order was placed but it was missed because the fiber drop wasn't run to my house. This was on a Friday afternoon. After asking CenturyLink's Twitter help account, I had a call from the local supervisor and a fiber install crew at my house first thing on Saturday. The remainder of the install, like putting in the ONT and activating service, was pushed to the following Tuesday.

On Tuesday, the installer arrived at about noon and finished just before 5pm. He mounted a new ONT, ran the data and telephone wiring inside to my basement, and set up the router. I did buy their $99 CenturyLink-branded ActionTec router even though I have a very good router already. The CenturyLink router works well but I want it mainly as a backup if they start blaming mine for any service problems. Once the installer finished, with no hiccups at all, he activated service and was on his way.

My speed tests through Speedtest.net have consistently been above 900Mbps to local servers. I've tested as far away as Dublin, Ireland and still hit speeds of over 100Mbps. To try to "load test" it, I started two downloads of Linux ISOs, a Netflix stream, and a WatchESPN stream from my Roku. Latency (a ping test) to a Dallas, Texas server was still approximately 60ms and a speed test to the same local server still showed about 300Mbps.

I took the $124.95 (plus tax, which I don't know just yet) for gigabit Internet and home phone bundle. This gets me a three-year price guarantee and a one-year required contract. Both of those are fine by me because I'm never cancelling this service. CenturyLink may have crappy copper service but their fiber service has been amazing for the several weeks I've had it so far.

member for 15.6 years, 5765 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by greatshow09 See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "It's an ok buy. 30 bucks for 40/5"
Bad "Customer service is almost useless and speeds are slow. ETF"
Overall "If you want a cheap ISP in a metro area and can compromise for slow speeds.."

Before CL came along we didn't even have ADSL+ or VDSL yet... Yeah, it was really slow (12mbps).

Fastforward to 2014, we're now the only ones on our block that has fiber, especially from CL. Even so, the speeds are not fiber speeds. There less than 100mbps infact. We currently have the 40/5 plan and I usually average around 35/3, thanks mostly impart to the fact we bought a $200 router and also have a CellSpot. Experiences with these guys aren't really that good. Infact they were so bad we went through over five modems, all of which were crappy zyxel and actiontec modems. Glad that's over with.. The customer service with these guys is a bunch of retards, they are nice but really don't know how to do their jobs (well at least they'd never call me an assh*** on my bill. so that's something). I've heard in some areas these guys have really overpriced archaic speeds. So, in that case just go to someone else. Just in general if you don't have fiber don't bother staying cause the experience really does suck. Also, dont think they don't have ETFs -they do and there huge. I know this is probably the worst review ever, but it's my way of looking at it.

member for 1.7 years, 110 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Sportsfan See Profile

• Location: Tucson,Pima,AZ
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Speeds are better than advertised. Service has been reliable so far."
Bad "Internet Basics pricing is for a limited time."
Overall "Very good value for Lifeline-qualified customers."

I was still using 56k dial-up when I found out about Internet Basics, a program for low-income/disabled customers, through a well-hidden link on the Qwest website. I applied and was approved the same week (March 2012). Service was initiated in three days. I was pleasantly surprised to get consistent speeds of 1280/720 with the company-provided ZyXEL PK5000Z modem (advertised speed "up to" 1.5 Mb down). Setup was easy, even for me as a first-time DSL user. Total price will go up to $21.90 in month 13, and special pricing will end after month 60.

Edit: Soon after I posted this review, I began having frequent modem reboots and connection drops after four months of excellent service. I will report back if anything changes.

Second Edit (Oct. 2012): The modem drops stopped around the end of August, causing me to think it was the lightning issue others had reported, but another modem drop occurred today (a clear evening w/ cool temperatures), so the modem itself appears to be the issue, as noted by a commenter.

Updated (July 2014): Price is now $21.90 per month as agreed in contract. Previous modem was replaced by CL, solving disconnection problems. Download speed was increased to 1.8 Mb a few months ago at no additional charge to customer.

Comments:

pcopsey

@qwest.net

PK5000

The pk5000 series routers are trash... just do a search on them and you will find that the actiontec and the zyxel both have the same consistent problems of resetting constantly.

Sadly thats all the centurylink offers right now. You can purchase your own but lose any real tech support and if it dies your on your own again.
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Only 1.8mbps?

That's it. There's gotta be a competitor or something better than that. I have 40 and thats slow enough..

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·DIRECTV
·TracFone Wireless

Not Minnesota

CL has a footprint in 38 states. The services offered by CL are not always the same across all states, regions or areas of the US. Be glad you have your 40. CL does not generally offer more than 1 with overhead in most DSL areas. I know. I am in one of the 10/1 areas and I am thrilled.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Review by cgreene See Profile

• Location: Roanoke Rapids,Halifax,NC
Good "Great speeds, good service, great field techs"
Bad "None that I can think of so far"
Overall "CenturyLink has been great from the time I order until going live"

After a 7 year wait for broadband, DSL finally came to my area on 2-15-10. I have been on dialup, satellite, 3G through the years. Always around T1 or better at work. I am about 3,000 feet from the RT so I ordered the 10 meg for 69.90 a month bundled with local phone service. Ordered over the phone and service was turned on 2-15-10 on the first day available. The local service techs Junior and Cory did a great job. The modem is a 660R in bridged mode. I am also using a Linksys 400N router. Speeds so far are always ~9850 to 9900 down and 840-850 up using speedtest.net or speakeasy.net. This has been a smooth ride so far. I will update as time goes.

10/08/2010

Still going strong after 8 months. Speeds are always there and no downtime. Wish everything was like this.

8/9/2011

After 18 months service is still GREAT! No downtime and speeds are still what I pay for. On the 10 meg plan I always get 10 or a little better down and 87 up. The first three or four hops are in the 8-10 ms range. It is like this 24/7. Very happy with CenturyLink.

7/15/12

Still receiving great service from CenturyLink. I am on the 10/896 package and speeds are right on target 24/7. Service has gone down once in over 2 years. That was due to a hurricane. I checked the modem stats a few days ago. This modem has been up for 6,643 + hours. Truly amazing!

11/19/13

Time for a update. The 10/896 has been great the past 16 months with no problems. After checking with CenturyLink founded out DSLAM has been upgraded to VDSL2 service. I am 3423 feet from the DSLAM and could receive 25/2 package. The line tech and inside tech showed up as scheduled and were up and down the road for a hour or so. They then ran cat 5 from the NID to the inside jack. Line sync is 25023/2014. I am getting a SOLID 23.5/1.90 at all times. What is interesting is these numbers are over a SINGLE PAIR and not bonded. Can't say enough about the techs that did the line and install work. They were great! CenturyLink has been GREAT for me over the years.

August 2014

Nothing new to report. CenturyLink has not been down once since last review. Still receiving 23.5/1.9 24/7. A few months ago did switch out the modem from Actiontec C1000A to Zyxel C1000Z. Don't really see any difference except the modem stats on the Zyxel are complete. Very happy with CenturyLink.

February 2015

Still nothing new to report. I don't recall any down time in the last 6 months. Speeds are still 23.5/1.9 24/7.

member for 11.2 years, 4911 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·DIRECTV
·TracFone Wireless

I Agree

CL techs can make small miracles when they have the something to work with,but they can't pull 10/1 over dialup. Where I live, my miracle worker is an old lineman whose been with the company for years.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Review by Addikt10 See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR
  • Telco party CenturyTel

Gigabit Fiber Internet from CenturyLink, in Portland, Oregon.
Installer showed up on time. It took about 4 hours to run overhead Fiber to the house, and install all of the pieces.
My house was already wired, so that is about all the installer did.

I purchased the Actiontec 2000A (not really a modem. Router? Let's call it a router)

The sales person wasn't that familiar with gigabit actually being available to customers, so it took about 45 minutes to start the account and order the service.

The Service so far has been almost incredible. 940 Up Down from CenturyLink Portland to Condo Internet in Seattle.
I have 5-6ms latency to Seattle.
I downloaded a game on steam that peaked at 82MB/s. That says eighty two megaBYTES per second.

I've had some slight issues with video streaming that seem to have been resolved for at least a day, will update if I see that is long term.
The issues were that while it eventually streamed HD from Comedy Central and Netflix, it took minutes to get there.

So far, I am happy, but I am in my first month. Will update the price when I get a full month's price, with no install charges etc.

Comments:

Review by mdhtx See Profile

• Location: Athens,Henderson,TX
Good "no problems everything has been pretty smooth"
Bad "none at the moment"
Overall "it beats the wireless out here in price and speed go with centurylink"

They now offer DSL in the sticks!!!!!!!! It's about time!
The speed is ok at the moment they are doing alot of work out here on the lines.
6mb/512 up

Comments:

Review by Slippery616 See Profile

• Location: Littleton,Arapahoe,CO
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Well done Centurylink"
Overall "Love it but, nothing lasts forever."

VDSL2 40Mbs and Phone plus (long distance pay as you go) at $69.95 for 3 years locked in and no contract. Ordered at 8pm on Mon and promised delivery of self install by Fri at 8pm. The modem arrived Fri am. After checking out supported equipment, I went with purchasing a Zycel 2000c from them.

A Centurylink phone tech showed up at 4pm Fri to tell me the phone service was on and internet should be on too. I had already been preparing for the event and was online in 5 minutes. Service is averaging 37.5mbs d/l and 4.7 u/p. No correctables or retrains. I am well satisfied.

I knew my phone wiring was solid and in good condition from 30 years of phone service. So, after being told that I now had "fiber to the node" and VDSL2 Mon, I went for it.

Comcast did a great job of supporting their very good service for many years but the price increases did me in. I am retired, disabled and on fixed income so, getting back my reliable landline (which I now need badly) and 40mb vdsl2 with phone for $75 was better than performance tier (25/5) and digital voice for $95 and no phone during problems, was a nobrainer. I had shutoff the cable about a year ago and am enjoying HD OTA TV. Turned out, I didn't mind all the commercials and reruns because they were free and much better quality. The savings from no cable paid for a new LG HD TV. and because of that brave step (am thoroughly addicted to TV) I was able to terminate Comcast entirely after the latest $2.00 + tax increase.

All's well that ends in the well.

member for 11 years, 3778 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ramsaso

join:2014-01-04
Houston, TX

To pay even cheaper...

I would suggest looking in their tariff under "promotions" or something of that sort so that you can pay less I believe...

Review by Secretagtman See Profile

• Location: La Crosse,La Crosse,WI
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Speed is as advertised."
Bad "Not as fast as I would love to have!"
Overall "After a few hurtles the speed is nice to have."

·Consolidated Com..
11/21/14: This review is from 2001 and most likely no longer relevant to services one would find today. It made its way back to the top from an accidental edit.

--Original Review--

I got ADSL when it first was introduced and have had wonderful download and upload speeds since then. I usually get around 430kbps down and 150-200kbps up. The service and CenturyTel is nothing fantastic, but they can usually get the job done. When I ordered the service it took about 1 month for the modem to arrive, and about 6 weeks for them to turn on the switch, they were not exactly in a rush to give me service I guess. The self-install kit was very straight forward. The day they said the switch was going to be on, I set it all up, got to the point where I needed my username and password and realized that I did not have one. I called the support number and the rep. said that their computers showed that I didn't have one registered with them either. After about 35 minutes on the phone getting that fixed, I got a username, put it in my router, and was set to go. I have experienced downtime on their end only a couple times, but that issue was quickly resolved, and have also gone through a period of very poor speeds, but that is way in the past since they put in some faster lines. I believe it was due to over-subscribing users to the service. Using a newer firmware release and my Linksys router has been great. No need to bother with computer end installed software, and if the connection is dropped the router will automatically log back on to keep the connection live.

I would love to have minimum 3 times the speed, but I still can recall the days of dial-up service.

Comments:

Review by coryw See Profile

• Location: Flagstaff,Coconino,AZ
Good "Customer Support"
Bad "Speeds, transparency"
Overall "I would do it again"

I had CenturyLink at my previous house a few miles away. It was an area that they’d converted to VDSL2, and I was extremely happy with my 20m/896k service. It was installed exactly on time (in fact, the installer arrived early and my housemate had to let them in) and once it was installed, I was able to sign in, set a password, and start paying for the service immediately. In a year, it only went down for any significant amount of time once, and there’s a good chance it was my own fault, because I do not use the modem in default settings, and I try very hard to reboot the modem (well, “gateway” really, I bought an ActionTec Q1000 from them) only as an extreme last resort. It bears mentioning that I have a static IP ($5/mo plus a small set-up fee) and they let me unblock port 25 on a residential line.

In June of 2013, I moved to my current address. I was aware that I would only get 1.5 megabit service, and that I’d be on an ADSL circuit, but I was okay with that because no longer would I need to share it with three or four housemates when their line with the cableco went down and they were unwilling to call. I was worried about how long I’d be able to last on a 1.5mbit line before breaking down and moving to the cable company.

The installation was prompt, but it happened when I wasn’t around, so i wasn’t sure which of the several phone jacks in my new house had service on it. I eventually found the jack and got everything running. What I found, though, was that the service was pretty intermittent. For a while, I blamed it on the PowerLine adapters I’d bought years ago and which had a tendency to overheat and become disconnected. I eventually started checking the modem and found that it had retrained a bunch of times. I kept a log of this and it was a fairly insane number of times. Once every hour at the peak, before I called and scheduled a time for a tech to come out.

The tech was able to move my line to another port in the house, which means I now have the modem near the rest of my network. The line seemed to get better, and then suddenly to get worse.

Deciding I couldn’t take another full day off of work, only to have the tech show up within five minutes of the tail end of the promised period, and have no changes in the line, I gathered my findings and sent them off to CenturyLink’s help e-mail, talktous@centurylink.com. The response was mildly helpful — have you hooked it up at the demarc, have you reset the modem, etc.

Cringing, I dutifully repeated those tasks, and aded “hooking it up at the demarc” to my list of things to test. No change. About a quarter of the way through the exchange, I also swapped out my Q1000 (a nice VDSL2 modem with gigabit wired networking and wireless N) for an M1000 (without the ethernet or wireless add-ons) that my housemate had laying around. I configured it and connected another router to use as a switch and wireless access point. The whole thing seemed to be a little bit better, but it was still not stable enough to, say, download an album from iTunes. (which quits doing anything if the network has a disruption for too long.)

Another quarter in, the tech sent me a ZyXEL PK5001z, which is almost worse in that it has Wireless N, but only 10/100 ethernet. That modem wasn’t much better, but a day or so later, I got an e-mail saying that they adjusted some settings at the CO or on the DSLAM. From that point forward, the connection has been stable no matter what I put on it, and to avoid the “your Q1000 isn’t compatible” line I received earlier, but so as not to need two different networking devices, I’ve replaced the PK5001Z with a Netgear DGN D3700, which has an ADSL/ADSL2+ modem, a good router, a gigabit switch, and a dual-band Wireless N access point all in one device. At least one company doesn’t presume that just because I’m stuck on ADSL for my WAN, I want a terrible LAN. (I recently received a site message suggesting that hardware reviews will be available soon. I will be taking advantage of that feature.)

My third ever phone call with CenturyLink was to reset my PPPoE password for the D3700, which went very well and the tech insisted that I stay on the line and ensure I was able to get to two different web sites before terminating the call, which I thought was excellent.

Since then, every once in a while I e-mail CenturyLink, just to ask them about upgrades and let them know that 1.5 megabits is terrible. In that time, I have been told so many different things about my area that I’m honestly not sure what to believe. For example, in no particular order, I’ve been told that my house is so far out I barely qualify for DSL at all, let alone 1536/896 kilobits, that the DSLAM is full, that the DSLAM is not fed by fiber and therefore nothing beyond 1536 is physically possible, and that bonding is available, but only via business, and by the business group, I was told that the DSLAM is indeterminately “full.”

Later on, I actually found out from advice on here and from my Q1000 that the “last mile” part of my loop is actually reasonable, and that on VDSL2 it should be pretty fast, but that it is nigh on impossible to know when your area is going to be upgrade. My city is listed as a VDSL2 market, but there’s no indication at all of when that’s going to actually be available to the whole city. In addition, I haven’t really gotten a straight answer from CenturyLink on why my modem might claim it can connect faster, but this isn’t something they’ve deployed, how much it will cost them to make it happen, and whether or not it’s on the docket. The best advice I’ve received on this matter is from Frontier Communications employees, which is that in former Bell system companies, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Ultimately, I’m with CenturyLink because I have had hellaciously bad experiences with the local cable company, and to make matters worse, the cableco is often the default choice here, so it’s difficult to get my own line installed with them. For as slow as CenturyLink is, my tales of woe with the cableco are absolutely harrowing, and their customer support is completely abhorrent, and in order to do some of the things I’m doing, I’d be paying more than twice as much with the cableco than I do with CenturyLink.

I would do it again, and if I move again, I will ensure to check available speeds before-hand and try to get into a neighborhood with better speeds, but I will mention that I’m bothered that within the same relatively small town, there’s such a huge difference in the services available. I’m not exactly far away from anything, and my neighborhood is of approximately standard American suburb density. Fortunately, I believe my service is being hampered by a single piece of equipment that simply hasn’t been replaced yet, and there’s no indication that (because it was installed slightly less than ten years ago) it will ever be replaced.

I would throw money at CenturyLink in the form of bonded DSL + phone, or a CoreConnect business account, if those services were available here.

2014-11-18: added speedtests in the evening and cap information.

member for 1.2 years, 363 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

TAZ

@qwest.net

Keep trying

IMO, keep trying to figure out the local setup yourself. It's difficult to trust anything CSRs tell you, as you've found.

First thing I would do is try to find where the cross box and DSLAM are. The fact they're "qualifying" you for bonded seriously makes me wonder if there is another Ethernet-fed DSLAM at your cross box. Their record keeping is extremely poor (I recently learned this myself). Knowing where this is will allow you to know for certain if this is the case, and also know if there is fiber available there (there would usually be an orange pole with a fiber sticker on it).

On that last point: I am in a subdivision in Tucson, built in 2000. Fiber was built to the cross box from day one but not used until 2009 when they upgraded the DSLAM's T1 uplinks to GigE over fiber.

Look for a place with a power meter and at least two cabinets. Qwest seems to use various different cabinet styles for their cross boxes (on one street here I have seen at least 3 different variations). Since you're on an older DSLAM, there's a number of models they could have used so it's hard to say what the size of that cabinet would be. (Still happy to look around for you, if you want to post a gmaps link to a nearby location.)