CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by chapmanjw See Profile

• Location: Aurora,Arapahoe,CO
Good "Superfast gigabit internet service"
Bad "Make sure you get the Technicolor C2000T modem to get the 900+ speeds"
Overall "Gigabit internet for $99, that's awesome"

I bought a new house in 2013 and CenturyLink had fiber service running to the homes in the neighborhood. I was previously a Comcast customer, however since my neighborhood was so new, Comcast wasn't yet available (though all the lines had been run, etc.). So, since I needed Internet for work, I had to go CenturyLink. I signed up for the fastest service I could at the time (100 Mbps) and was very happy with it. Last month, the 1 Gbps service became available and I signed up immediately. Since I already had a fiber-based service, all they had to do was flip a switch on their end and a few hours later I began seeing the new speeds.

The new speeds are fantastic, I don't think I could ever go back to slower speeds now, LOL.

My only "complaint" and I'm not really complaining, just can't get over 830 Mbps or so. I've done various speed tests, tried downloading multiple streams, etc., I can never get above 830 or so. Still awesome, but not quite as advertised. (If anyone has suggestions of anything I might do here, I'd be very grateful. Thanks).

UPDATE: I had the wrong modem. After switching my modem for a Technicolor C2000T, I now see 935+ download speeds.

member for 16 days, 6 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
OpTiC

join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

830mbps

You can't get higher than 830mbps because the problem is gigabit ethernet. To get full gigabit you need a 10gbps ethernet port. The 10 gigabit ethernet hasn't been released. I would wait for 2-5 years for 10gbps.
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

You cant get it because thats what they actually give you...

In all honesty, that's all you're supposed to get. If you go to ctlhelp.com, and do a speed test it will have the target speeds above. Of which the target gig speeds is 800mbps.

chapmanjw
join:2014-10-07
Aurora, CO

Re: You cant get it because thats what they actually give you...

So the issue was I had the wrong modem. They switched it out for a Technicolor C2000T today. I now get 935 up and 935 down on a single computer. If I do two computers at the same time, I see 775 on one and 225 on the other.
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Re: You cant get it because thats what they actually give you...

Ah. well good you get those speeds. I cant wait until I do

HopelessNerd

@70.58.170.x

I hate you :P

I have 1.5 Megabit DSL and am excited to finally get 12 Megabit installed on Monday. My hoped for internet speed is less than a rounding error on yours... therefore you are *hated by me.

*Metaphorically of course as I don't actually hate anyone.

chapmanjw
join:2014-10-07
Aurora, CO

Re: I hate you :P

I seriously can never move (unless its to another fiber area).

Was Yea

@184.195.58.x

Re: I hate you :P

All that speed and I still own you on cstrike

Review by GilbertMark See Profile

• Location: Gilbert,Maricopa,AZ
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Easy online sign up and LOW prices even without the price lock, PROFESSIONAL installer!"
Bad "Automated phone call led to ugly support call!"
Overall "Glad Cox has competition!"

·Cox HSI
Update 9/28/14

25 hour outage! We did have some good rain the previous day but it had ended some 10 hours before. Woke up to the answering machine beeping and telling me to set the time. The power only flickered for a second since some of the clocks weren't flashing 12, but that was more than enough for Centurylink to go down. Never did find out what actually happened. I liked that they had an automated system where I was able to confirm the outage right away. I asked to be notified when the outage was over (I never received that phone call). It is what it is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------

Update 9/20/14

We have just passed the 1 year mark of service and our bill has gone from $52 a month to $86 a month. No increase in service for us. We have the 20 meg down package with local phone only. No TV. The honeymoon is clearly over. I'm looking into alternatives.

I looked at Cox again but their cheapest package is $77 a month but I don't want TV and the internet is a lowly 5 meg down service. Dish is a joke as their internet if you're lucky is 15 and they force you to lease the equipment. Don't know what I'll do. If I knew Centurylink service was going to be reliable I would've signed a price lock guarantee. But after our MISERABLE experience with AT&T DSL I'll never sign a DSL contract again. Basically we paid them for lousy service, tech visits that did nothing and a waste of our time being lost from going to work to meet with those people.

Update 11/11/13

Well we called today. We told them we never receive a normal bill. We go straight to disconnect notice every month. The problem with the disconnect notice is it only provides an amount due, it doesn't list the breakdown of the price. We're getting hit for about $14 in taxes so it's not a $38 bill.

Also anyone who signs up online (like we did) receives disconnect notices for the first couple months... Weird.

Update 11/9/13

We've received two bills since our service began. Both of them were disconnect notices. And both of them were for $100 +.

Do they have monkeys working in the billing department?

When the heck are we going to start seeing bills for $38? We signed up for a $38 dollar a month account. I have all the screen shots of the sign up process to prove it.

NOT IMPRESSED with the billing department so far as I have to worry about being losing service every month.

Update 11/1/13

We experienced our first DSL outage on 11/1/13. It started around 7 p.m. and lasted until midnight. It was a big outage and affected the entire Phoenix area. Eh, things happen no big deal.

Update 9/12/13

We've had service for 1 week and endured a couple days of heavy rain (which would normally wipe out or DSL back in San Francisco in a heart beat) and no issues whatsoever. A Century Link person rang our door bell today. Sadly, I heard none of the conversation. My better half says he said something about having upgraded the neighborhood recently with faster service? Speedtest says 30 ms ping, 24.35 Mbps down .81 Mbps up. Not bad for the 20 Mbps package.

This review is being written on day 1 of service which I think was 14 days (or less) from when we placed our order online. We already had Cox so we weren't in a rush for service.

We were previously with Cox and had the TV, phone, Internet bundle. We'd always hated the prices and tried over the last 6.5 years to downgrade services to save money. We tried to remove things but they'd tell us they were just going to raise the price on the remaining items. We got rid of the digital box, downgraded the TV package. It lowered the bill a little but finally we'd had enough. Cox clearly doesn't care about long term customers so we left. $110 for phone and Internet? Bye.

We went to CenturyLink's site and signed up. $34.18 for phone and Internet. Yes we were losing nationwide, but so what we have tons of rollover minutes on the cell phone. The download speed wasn't as good as what Cox advertises (which I don't believe is true anyway as it was the 50Mbps Premier package and we weren't getting that speed). We ordered the 20 Mbps service package and decided to buy the modem. We didn't select the price lock guarantee so we'll see how long our rock bottom price lasts.

The modem arrived two days before the install date. It didn't have a manual so I looked around online. We received the C1000A (which from Amazon and other reviews looks to be a real hunk of junk). I set up all the equipment next to our Apple Extreme base station which will handle the wireless work. I hear it's best not to tax the CPU in the Actiontec modem.

The following day we received an automated phone call from CenturyLink and my wife didn't catch all of the message. It said something about our install appointment. She called CenturyLink to find out what they wanted. The person who helped her started out okay with trying to be informative but the call quickly turned into a scripted sales pitch. My wife got flustered with the call (I don't blame her I hate this crap too) so she gave me the phone. I have no patience for customer service people especially when they stick to the script so I let him have it telling him we didn't call for a sales pitch, we just wanted information.

The installer Luis arrived a day later. My wife was home and Luis was very professional. We were initially told on the phone that no one would come into the house as we had not selected to have the equipment set up nor a computer set up (which we didn't need being people who have grown up around technology since the 70s.)

He was happy all the gear was set up already and wired and easily accessible so he proceeded to do his thing. He called in to port our number. While he was waiting on hold he directed my wife through the setup and had her disable the built in wireless (she told him we wanted to use our airport instead). She opened a browser and continued the setup process and got us online in no time.

The Airport Extreme was blinking yellow but worked fine. We had a double NAT situation so I shut that off in the Airport. My wife tested our connection and it runs faster than Cox did. I came home to working Internet. It was nice that I didn't have to do anything besides shove the desk back in place. I love that we only have one modem now instead of the two Cox made us use.

I'll keep you posted. The last time we had DSL was living in Pacifica (just south of San Francisco) and loss of sync was a daily ritual. It didn't help that the phone lines were all old and above ground and we lived within 500 feet of the ocean. Here in Gilbert everything is new and underground.

I'm waiting on loss of sync issues and the modem dying (as many have written about), and the price to be raised on our service after awhile. We'll see.

Luis you rock! You were the best thing about our experience.

Comments:

linicx

I didn't have ...

No sync issues. I had tons of problems when they upgraded and did not upgrade my modem. I had other problems with the phone and uplink. With your 20/5 you should not have any of those issues.

If you do install a whole house filter in the box on the side of your house. Remove all the inside phone filters. The phone performs better and won't fail (they say) when the internet is down.

Since then I've had intermittent brief outages as they say they move 'things' around. Where we live we probably won't see an appreciable upgrade until DSL and its various reincarnations die.

Review by neill6705 See Profile

• Location: Little Falls,Morrison,MN
Good "Consistent connection that's faster than what we're paying for."
Bad "Horrible CPE, overly aggressive sales people."
Overall "Great service, but bring your own modem."

We've had Centurylink for about a month and a half now. I've been very pleased with they're service. We're paying for 20/0.896mbps and speedtest.net consistently shows 24.4/0.85mbps. We haven't had any downtime in the time we've had them. One of my only complaints is the sales people. I've been in a sales position before and I know the importance of upselling but when the customer knows exactly he/she wants, don't try and jam the stuff they don't want down their throat. I lost count of how many times I had to say no to a land line (we have VoIP from Ooma), Verizon, Direct TV, their at ease antivirus tech support bundle, etc. I didn't really deal with any field techs. Since we were just using our NID for DSL, I unhooked out home phone wiring from the terminals as the Ooma is feeding that and ran a piece of Cat5e to a jack just for DSL myself. This leads to my only other complaint - the customer premise equipment. I bought an Actiontec C1000A. Worst $100 I've ever spent. It had thousands of CRC and hundreds of thousands or millions of FEC errors every day. A week later I replaced it with a ZyXel P873HNUP and all my issues went away. On a bad day it has a few hundred FEC errors and basically no CRC errors. Bring your own router, unless you get a C2000T (based on what I've read).

Overall, the service has been very fast and consistent. Once you get past the annoying sales people, If you're near the DSLAM and the copper loop is of decent quality, you should be very satisfied with the service.

member for 75 days, 76 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by greatshow09 See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Price is fine -for me. $29.95 for 40mbps, hasn't changed and I still have the 4 year lock from Qwest :)."
Bad "Took awhile to fix the speed problems. Turned out an expensive router did the trick. Ping kinda' is bad too 40 ms."
Overall "Unless CL Fiber is coming to your house soon, the speeds are slow. However, worth the price."

Ok So here's the full story, scroll down for something less, well big.

We've been with Qwest since 2008, the most remembered part was their dedication when they spent TWO DAYS instaling ADSL to our house. Since then, we were happy 12mbps customer, that never wanted to switch after a horrible experience at Comcast, and all the way up 'till recently when Centurylink bought 'em out, we were as happy as could be. Once CL came along though, we had our second nightmare. No, night-terror. For the first few months, CL was fine, they got VDSL hooked up to our house and we swapped over to 20mbps. The connection was fine and we averaged speeds at 17mbps. However, once 40mbps came along, we jumped on the offer and upgraded. This is when it got bad, wireless speeds were far from 40mbps and we went through six, yeah six, modems -great. All of which were crappy Zyxel and Actiontec modems. After several calls to CL customer representatives all were nice but almost useless, changing channels, ports and of course modems. After none of that worked we said screw you and said we were switching back to Comcast and getting their Blast plan. As a house of geeks we asked for linebackers to show up -nothing was wrong. That was it, we called Comcast and setup an account they were to setup service just a bit later. Turned out the problem was a crappy signal from all the modems that only made it through one room in our house. The router brought our house to the speeds needed and after all that hell all is well now.

To cut it to the chase:

We had a mixed experience with CL and went through several modems and representatives it took months to get our house to 40mbps.

The Techs were friendly, but rather useless. Price is great $29.95 for four years (They let us keep our lock from Qwest... Sort of.).

Their modems suck, and signal only covers a room of our house. So, I would suggest buying a good router like our $200 Nighthawk.

CL Fiber (Up to 1gbps) is coming to our area. So, we aren't going anywhere. Comcast kills their DSL on regards to speed though.

member for 1.2 years, 37 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by cgreene See Profile

• Location: Roanoke Rapids,Halifax,NC
Good "Great speeds, good service, great field techs"
Bad "None that I can think of so far"
Overall "CenturyLink has been great from the time I order until going live"

After a 7 year wait for broadband, DSL finally came to my area on 2-15-10. I have been on dialup, satellite, 3G through the years. Always around T1 or better at work. I am about 3,000 feet from the RT so I ordered the 10 meg for 69.90 a month bundled with local phone service. Ordered over the phone and service was turned on 2-15-10 on the first day available. The local service techs Junior and Cory did a great job. The modem is a 660R in bridged mode. I am also using a Linksys 400N router. Speeds so far are always ~9850 to 9900 down and 840-850 up using speedtest.net or speakeasy.net. This has been a smooth ride so far. I will update as time goes.

10/08/2010

Still going strong after 8 months. Speeds are always there and no downtime. Wish everything was like this.

8/9/2011

After 18 months service is still GREAT! No downtime and speeds are still what I pay for. On the 10 meg plan I always get 10 or a little better down and 87 up. The first three or four hops are in the 8-10 ms range. It is like this 24/7. Very happy with CenturyLink.

7/15/12

Still receiving great service from CenturyLink. I am on the 10/896 package and speeds are right on target 24/7. Service has gone down once in over 2 years. That was due to a hurricane. I checked the modem stats a few days ago. This modem has been up for 6,643 + hours. Truly amazing!

11/19/13

Time for a update. The 10/896 has been great the past 16 months with no problems. After checking with CenturyLink founded out DSLAM has been upgraded to VDSL2 service. I am 3423 feet from the DSLAM and could receive 25/2 package. The line tech and inside tech showed up as scheduled and were up and down the road for a hour or so. They then ran cat 5 from the NID to the inside jack. Line sync is 25023/2014. I am getting a SOLID 23.5/1.90 at all times. What is interesting is these numbers are over a SINGLE PAIR and not bonded. Can't say enough about the techs that did the line and install work. They were great! CenturyLink has been GREAT for me over the years.

August 2014

Nothing new to report. CenturyLink has not been down once since last review. Still receiving 23.5/1.9 24/7. A few months ago did switch out the modem from Actiontec C1000A to Zyxel C1000Z. Don't really see any difference except the modem stats on the Zyxel are complete. Very happy with CenturyLink.

member for 10.8 years, 4692 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

linicx

I Agree

CL techs can make small miracles when they have the something to work with,but they can't pull 10/1 over dialup. Where I live, my miracle worker is an old lineman whose been with the company for years.

Review by brad152 See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Consistent Speeds, Great Ping Times"
Bad "Great since i got pair-bonded"
Overall "I love them, have recommended many, and if you have VDSL2 go for it!"

- Update August 2014 -

Still running great as ever, line was finally provisioned to 25/2.5 on each pair, so i'm testing ~46Mbps/4.7Mbps pretty consistently. No complaints, i did call and renew my contract a few months ago, and have since added a 5GHz dedicated AP and still let the C2000T do all the routing with no hiccups or bugs as of yet.

So far, very happy with CenturyLink and plan to stick around as long as i'm in Phoenix. I do know they have a 250GB cap, but it does not seem that they enforce it as of yet unlike Cox.

- Update December 2013 -

Since swapping to pair-bonded with a Technicolor modem, it's been up for over 2.5 months with no retrains or reboots with respectable WiFi performance, I can pull 36/4 on 2.4GHz so i'm happy with the CenturyLink provided gateway.

This connection does not suffer mid-day slowdown like i had with Cox and the billing has been like i have expected, I love CenturyLink and just re-signed a contract with them for another year and have no plans of switching. I just wish they'd stop giving out the Actiontec modems as i've had to get on the phone for a few friends beyond frustrated with the C1000A and get them swapped to this modem to resolve their issues. Once everyone has received this modem, everyone's service has been buttery smooth since.

-----------------------

I have CenturyLink's pair bonded 40/5 service (single pair was a little shaky on the upload on my old cat3 line), it's been solid since receiving the new Technicolor C2000T modem, and i have no complaints.

It did take a few weeks to get the pair bonded service issues worked out due to me having a crap Actiontec modem, but they finally fixed it with the modem i was asking for from the beginning.

Overall i'm happy to not give any money to Cox Cable, and have gotten at least ten people i know to swap to centurylink with equal happiness to mine, so all in all they're doing a great job in Phoenix.

member for 8.2 years, 1005 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

CLbadbusines

@affiber.com

Century Link's mistreatment of customers

So for over a month now Carol and I have been trying to cancel our account with Century Link after we called them at the beginning of September to get a quote for their internet rates. Key word, INFO only. we did not tell them to sign us up. But they did anyways. The told my wife that they had to do a credit check and get her social security number simply to give her info. We called repeatedly on the phone (and always talked to them very nicely and respectively) and talked to many different people for HOURS trying to cancel, and have been told three times it's been canceled. And it hasn't. We keep getting bills sent to us and since they have my wife's SSN it hurts her credit. Century Link is the worst company I have had the displeasure to come in contact with and I would advise anyone that is using them to cancel with them (if even possible) or if they are thinking about using them to never do so. Carol has currently been on the phone for over 30 minutes, has been put on hold repeatedly, been told falsehoods about what we've done, and been told it will take 12 days to process our cancellation. I don't believe anything that comes from Century Link. Fortunately for us and unfortunately for Century Link I'm a public relations major and I've spent the last few years learning how to build up a company's reputation, and thus now how to destroy it. I know that in today's world thanks to the Internet and social media, the consumer now has more power than bad businesses. I have never made such a strong public statement like this before but truly the way Century Link is treating us is the most unprofessional and dishonest actions that I have ever personally had to deal with from any business. Century Link is appalling. I'm going to use the skills I've acquired and am going tear down Century Link's reputation until I hear from one of their senior executives in the company officially apologizing for the horrendous business interactions they have conducted with us so far, and he tells me that all of our records of any sort are removed from all Century Link's databases. If you read this and are willing, I would please ask you to help me and post this on Facebook, review sites, tweet it, whatever, about how terrible Century Link has treated Carol and I. Because Carol and I have repeatedly tried to get rid of them but they will not cancel, and they can continue to hurt our credit because they have Carol's SSN. And I can only logically assume that we are not the only ones who have been so harshly mistreated by this foul company called Century Link. And once you start reading these posts Century Link, I suggest you are quick to make the necessary reparations, before you become a case to be learned about in public relations classes of a company that does not know how to treat customers, and end up in a YouTube video like United Airlines United Breaks Guitars. (As of right now I am thinking of how to create a YouTube video to portray what has been happening to us, if anyone has any ideas or wants to help let me know)

darthom

@bellsouth.net

Re: Century Link's mistreatment of customers

Write to your 'Governor's Office for Consumer Fraud'. That and the BBB. I have done this with several companies that have defrauded me. State lines, if any are involved, pose no barrier for State attorneys. No Governor likes businesses abusing citizens so, let your State attorneys handle the matter.

JackinPhx

@qwest.net
Wow. that's crummy treatment all right. But you did make one mistake: Never, ever, give out your Social over the phone. Whoever demanded that from your wife should be spanked - or something bad.

If you are in Arizona, you might check with the Residential Utility Consumer Office - www.azruco.gov
brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ

Re: Century Link's mistreatment of customers

Wow I have a few accounts with CenturyLink (one is dated back to the Sprint days) and have never had these issues. Must be a one off situation to be honest. I've worked for many telecom companies and it happens everywhere. Sorry about your luck..

I've had these issues with Verizon, Time Warner, and AT&T but i'd never go bashing them in forums due to a few employee's incompetence. I've had nothing but great service from CenturyLink other than my nit-pick here and there and I overall have no complaints with both accounts i currently run (one in Ohio and one in Arizona)

centrynolink

@cox.net
Great Find!! Thanks...

SP1993

@comcast.net
The key, in my opinion, is having the gall to cancel services from CenturyLink, or even to consider cancellation by asking about alternative, discounted pricing packages Big mistake. I was an unquestioning customer for over 10 years when I was offered a bundled package from Comcast that saved me over $50 per month. Once the ball got rolling to cancel my phone and internet with CenturyLink, my calls to CenturyLink to explore their pricing and possibly reinstating services only led to inconsistent offers from its Customer Retention Department. When I couldn't get a consistent answer from anyone about what they might offer me as a competitive price to Comcast's, I asked for a supervisor. That's when things got ugly. Mark, a Saturday afternoon "supervisor," claimed that if I hadn't called I would still be billed for my previous services even though they had been disconnected. I'm not sure how disconnected services could still be billed to a customer. He also claimed that the discounts offered me by Customer Retention were lies and violations of the FCC. His attitude, demeanor and comments basically said that because I had chosen to leave CenturyLink, I was of no interest to them as a returning customer--even if I had been "gone" for no more than a few days. Total. Jerk.

And the comments about it taking 12 days to cancel services is no joke. I was told that if I wanted to reinstate my phone, they really couldn't give me a time line and it would take at least 7 business days. Although it would take only two days to reinstate internet service, it would delay the phone being reinstated as the two orders could not be worked on at the same time and no one works on these orders over the weekend. No kidding? I have yet to call them to see if they have in fact cancelled the billing for the services that have clearly been cancelled by them as of two days ago. I may get the same "12 days to cancel billing for services you're no longer getting" story. CenturyLink is a piece of work if you ever deign to reject them and go with another company.

·TracFone Wireless

First and foremost Century Link IS a TELEPHONE Company. They are licensed and registered with the FCC. They MUST maintain communications - even if NO ONE subscribes.

File a complaint with FCC and then file a complaint with your State Commerce Commission as they TOO have oversight on phone companies, plus gas and lights.

Then call the Better Business Bureau and the companies that report your credit to FICO (Fair Isaac) .

The commerce commissions do NOT have oversight on cable or internet; FCC does. CL billing process IS a problem. There is NO reason to have your credit checked to inquire about services. NEVER. It is another matter IF you want the service, and plan to order it; ONLY then it is required. They need an euphony.

Review by crazyk4952 See Profile

• Location: united state
Good "Fast upload, if you are close enough"
Bad "250GB monthly cap"
Overall "Good if you qualify for the 40/20 service."

·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
I have had CL for three months and have been satisfied overall. I am fortunate to qualify for 40Mbps download and 20Mbps upload speed. The main reason that I signed up for CL is for the 20Mbps upload. The local cable company only offers a pathetic 3Mbps upload on all of their tiers.

Pros:
-Fast upload speed
-Reliable (I have had no downtime)
-Ability to purchase a static IP address on a residential account
-Upload does not count towards monthly bandwidth cap

Cons:
-Dynamically assigned IP address changes frequently
-If you need a new phone jack installed, the cost is $100
-Maximum speed is dictated by your distance to the DSLAM.
-250GB monthly download cap is too low. They do not give you a way to track your bandwidth usage.

member for 12.7 years, 1980 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
phxpaul

join:2011-02-18
Tempe, AZ

Data cap?

I live in Tempe, AZ , a neighboring city to Phoenix. I've had Centurylink for 4 years. I have 40/5, with no data cap. I've never heard of such a thing out here.

crazyk4952
join:2002-02-04
united state
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric

Re: Data cap?

said by phxpaul:

Look at their Excessive Use Policy: »internethelp.centurylink.com/int···eup.html

Review by IT Guy See Profile

• Location: Las Cruces,Dona Ana,NM
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Cheaper than alternative with new customer, 1 year commitment"
Bad "Peering agreement issues with Google?"
Overall "After escelating support request, I am satisfied with the speeds I am getting for the promotional price"

Update: After going through some extended testing using a completely different computer I brought in for subsequent testing, I discovered that the problem was actually with a "network accelerator" that was installed along with my RealTek PCIe network card as a client under the Ethernet connection's properties called AppEx. When researching what it was, the company claims it is technology meant to improve broadband connections. It absolutely had the opposite result. Uninstalled and now I am receiving approx. 35 Mbps down.

One issue I still have is with YouTube videos not fully loading or not loading at all. There is quite an extensive thread about it on a Google Groups forum and apparently there is some sort of peering argument between CenturyLink and Google, at least that seems to be the overall consensus in the forum. Who is ultimately at fault is still unclear. »productforums.google.com/forum/#···5-false]

Original Review: I had signed up with CenturyLink's 40/5 Mbps plan back in January 2014 to escape the ever-increasing cost of Comcast's service which was now costing me around $80 /mo for half the bandwidth offered by CenturyLink. When I first had my CenturyLink service installed, I had tested the connection through speedtest.net and was receiving anywhere from 12 - 25 Mbps, still well under the advertised 40 Mbps, even taking into consideration the 15% overhead for routing as stated on their Web page, but it was acceptable to me. But here I am now, nearly 6 months into my service and I am lucky if I get 2.5 Mbps down now for several weeks. I have contacted support about it, stating nothing has changed on my premises, but I had noticed one of their small, 3' tall cabinets on the inlet street, only about maybe 10 yards from my house, is exposed to the elements with its guts hanging out. I can't help but wonder if this is contributing to the problem and I stated to their support, that they should check that cabinet out for damage and at the very least, secure their equipment before I make any appointments to have a tech. come out to my house to look for problems. I even provided pictures to their support people. Yet, their support seems to have a knee-jerk reaction in their reply, stating that I may be billed extra if I haven't signed up for their Line backer, data backer or CenturyLink@Ease service. I am sick of these loopholes that act as barriers to getting service restored properly and I really wish more of the burden was placed on the ISP. Overall I am pretty fed up with CenturyLink. There was a reason I chose to stay with Comcast for over a decade, despite their service not being stellar, I find them to at least be much more reliable and easier to work with than CenturyLink. The modem I am leasing is an Actiontech C1000A, I did a self-install, but a tech. was dispatched before I received my equipment to check out the lines, which checked out fine.

member for 10.2 years, 2716 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Other ISP's...

YES... With it's guts hanging out. It can contributing to the problem. Telephone equipment should be scattered around outside of it's weather box.

Do you know any of these guys for your ISP?? Wonder if they are any good.

»www.maxxwireless.com/wirelessinternet

»w3.zianet.com/

»www.fastwave.biz/

IT Guy
Ow, My Balls
join:2004-07-29
Las Cruces, NM

Re: Other ISP's...

I used to be on Zianet years ago before they were bought out and they were good back then. I know some people use both Zianet and Fastwave here at work, but I haven't heard any feedback one way or another. Most of the people are only using them for email and not access for some strange reason. Kind of like the old AOL carry overs I know. I think Zianet just piggy backs off of CenturyLink's connection anyway though. I did get my issue resolved after having it escalated, however the equipment still hasn't been secured and it has been that way for at least a month now.
Don't worry, scro. There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick-ass lives.

Ty

@208.54.32.x

They lost me as a customer

We spent an hour on hold nobody answered our call. And they were supposed to turn our internet on today. And we still have no internet. Done with centurylink going to comcast.

Nicole

@70.208.13.x

If there were any other company in the area

Centurylink has a monopoly on my area, but if there were any other possible alternative I would absolutely use any other service. First of all they have shut off my internet twice with no notices. They make me wait on hold constantly. I can't get in the auto pay because they want late charges. And they have pop ups stopping whatever I'm doing on the internet to take their survey or to ask whose using the internet. They have been the worst internet company I've ever dealt with.

Review by TechMike See Profile

• Location: Denver,Jefferson,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Static IPs for residential (optional). Tech Support is decent"
Bad "Customer service only available 8-6 M-F, unless ordering new service or tech support. Poor connection with 40/5 service"
Overall "Decent service for VDSL2. Higher speeds can be problematic."

I live in former Qwest territory with VDSL2. According to CenturyLink, we can get speeds up to 40/5. I signed up for the 40/5 service on a 29.99/mo promotion for 12 months with a 12 month contract.

I formerly had the 12/5 service and had absolutely no problems. This time around, however, I've had some poor connection reliability with the 40/5 service.

After a couple months of service, our modem retrained at 25/3. Tech support said this was due to excessive errors on our line. A technician came out, and performed maintenance on the 'F2'. After that, the modem reconnected at 40/5. There's been quite a few errors on the line and at least one retrain in the last 48 hours. After a couple weeks, I'll see how bad the service is and potentially call a technician out again.

*UPDATE: It is now a week later and we've had continuous errors, excessive line noise, and repeated retrains for 24 hours. CenturyLink scheduled a tech to come out in a week. I'm a little perturbed at this point.

*UPDATE2: Our line has been tremendously solid for the past day or so. I suspect work was done, possibly not related to my connection, but happened to resolve the issue.

Comments:

TheTruth

@97.116.26.x

Tell me about it 40/5 sucks

We're lucky get 20mbps with their 40mbps service. We had nearly a billion calls to these guys and five modems. Tech support cares about you but sucks at their jobs. Qwest spent 2 days installing our internet. CL didn't give a crap. We ended up buying a 200 dollar router which helped a lot, then swiched to Comcast. Only thing we're gonna miss is not having robot staff as support.
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Re: Tell me about it 40/5 sucks

Had Centurynolink for less than 30 days.. 7 meg download was lucky to hit 1 meg..

Geekster

@97.116.44.x

40/5 Sucky

Try getting a good router. We went through several modems, however a high grade router did a good job.

Review by dharper100 See Profile

• Location: Boardman,Morrow,OR
Good "Tech that came out (Kyle) was amazing. Great communication, fast install, friendly."
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Speeds as advertised, low latency, install tech was awesome."

Ordered bonded DSL (25/2). Took an extra few days as the tech needed to be dispatched. Tech was a day late, but texted me to let me know the status. Showed up early the next day and did the install. Got a Technicolor CT2000A modem, which is one of the better ones. I ran a shielded cat5e cable from NID to jack. Tech wired at the NID, I wired the jack and installed modem.

So far, things are working as advertised. ~50ms ping, 24.5Mb/s download, 1.8Mb/s upload. Consistent speeds, and service doesn't choke with multiple downloads, gaming, browsing and streaming simultaneously.

Eastern Oregon, small town. 5500 feet from CO (per DSL modem status).

Comments:

chamb267

@67.235.81.x

Pricing

Dharper,
Can you elaborate on your pricing.
I have 10 meg down with CL along with standard phone service.
My price for the DSL is 50 dollars on my bill. About 38 dollars for the phone.
I recently asked about the speeds you have and I was told it will be $75 just for the increased DSL speed.
So far, I declined. Seemed high to me.

Are you on a special package that will eventually expire and go much higher in price?
dharper100

join:2014-07-16

Re: Pricing

It is $71.95 (plus taxes) for the 25/2. Price locked for 2 years. After that, I'm hoping that either A. price stays the same or B. faster speeds are available for the same price or less.

The 10/1 was $29.95 a month (plus taxes), but the 25/2 was a better choice for me.

I was paying $60 a month for 6/1 (Wireless ISP), and it rarely worked at those speeds. For speeds, I am doing excellent. The tech has been amazing with communication, and is extremely helpful. This alone has made me love the service already. He's dedicated to making it perfect, which I rarely see (I work in IT, so I work with several companies for internet service at work).

This is for a dry DSL line, no phone service included. They do have bundles, which make it a little higher. I just have no need for a land line anymore.

I was finally able to play online gaming for the first time in a long time without any lag. I had a great time, and I think it's worth it. I do use the network connection for work, as well, so I chalk some of it up to a required expense.