Juno Express page on DSLReports

Review by Duramax08 See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "kind of low latency for online games"
Bad "Alot of stuff I cant do because of dial up"
Overall "Out of date technology that they still keep alive"

·Millenicom
note:this is not dsl, this is dial up

for $9.99 for service and $25 for another phone line, Its not bad for someone that just wants to check email but me, I like to play onlines games, watch movies, and download files. Where I live, There is no dsl or cable internet yet. But if there was, I would switch as fast as I can.

(10-2-09)
For some reason they dropped my speed from 44kbps to 33kbps. Might be nothing for you but for me its alot since I only got so much bandwidth to play with. Wish I could tether my iPhone since I get 4 3G bars inside my house. Man my computer is way out of date but really cant get viruses due to the slow speed of dial up. Both AT&T and TWC says my area is not ready for their high speed internet. CRAP!

(12-21-09)
Cancelled juno last week. Got clear since they cover most of san antonio but I only get one bar on my home modem. Its awesome when it works but it sucks when it doesnt. Hopefully AT&T or TWC will come down the road in the future because Id rather have a landline then a wireless connection.

(2/16/2011)
Clear became totally crap and dropped them. JB iphone 4 with unlimited data. Works great.

member for 5.7 years, 2734 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Rejected One See Profile

• Location: Darby,Delaware,PA
Good "lol there are none its dial up"
Bad "its dial up"
Overall "ITS DIAL UP"

ok i dont work at comcast at the moment im on disability for an injury but i do plan on going back. right now im stuck using dial up i just want to cry. ( in a physical rehab thats why i only have dial up )

the setup was simple pop the disk in wait and hour for their page to load then create your account.

4.95 for 3 month plan right now

had the phone company run a line test i was good on there end my usb modem checks out fine but i cant get more then 3 kB/sec didnt the arpa net have faster speeds o well

bottom line dial up is a useless service most if not all services besides irc, instant messaging and email require much more bandwidth to not pull your hair out trying to get what you need.

oh and if you want tech support you have to pay for it LMFAO dslreports is my tech support

ok bottom line

juno it works as long as you dont run it on a computer but if you have to i suggest any OS besides vista. juno updated and blew my modem driver to hell. not sure how but i had to reinstall old version of juno and my modem to get rid of the error 692 hardware failure.

price still exspensive for the service you get.

if you dont mind waiting hours on end for your av, firewall, OS and any other program that needs to update through the internet well set aside 9-15 hours.

and if you run steam lmfao good luck i spent 3 days trying to update steam so i can install my games to play have fun get a better connection.

member for 10.7 years, 1933 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by beta testing See Profile

• Location: usa
Good "It has great email"
Bad "Slow"
Overall "available"

I think that Juno Express sucks and i am going to get a new broadband

member for 11.4 years, 772 visits, last login: 1.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by goldschlag3 See Profile

• Location: Woodmere,Nassau,NY
  • Telco party Covad
Good "nothing good"
Bad "poor reliablility"
Overall "choose another carrier"

in woodmere NY Junoexpress/Covad's reliability is very poor.

No DSL service for 2-3 hour periods 5 - 10 times a week

would not reccomend them

Comments:

Review by ktomiak See Profile

• Location: Wyckoff,Bergen,NJ
  • Telco party Verizon
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Has dial-in capability when DSL fails or you travel"
Bad "Staff is not knowledgeable about wiring, basic networking, they will have you re-install software for line problems!"
Overall "When it works, it is good, when there are problems you really have problems."

I ordered the Juno Express DSL service (up to 21 times faster than a modem) at up to 608 download and 128 upload. I used to get about 504 download as tested on three different speed test services. After a ten day outage and repair on the phone line I now top at about 310. Juno is now claiming they offer "at-best-effort". Gone is the claim to give you x percent better than a modem.

Original representative argued Covad had to have a new line installed dedicated just to DSL. Mind you, I just dropped Verizon because their software refused to open an account (that is another story). Verizon was able to share the second line I have with phone service and DSL service. The rep then insisted Covad needed to run four wire for the service. Verizon only required two. Sure enough, Covad was not expecting to run any wire so it was handy that I aready had two wires run to the right location. Yeah, they really only needed two like I told the rep.

The Covad technician hooked up the modem to his laptop and ran a speed test that showed excellent service. I top out at about 508KB download, even after doing all the tweaking in the registry that many sites suggest. Some sites suggest of you get 85 percent of the claimed speed you are doing good so this seemed acceptable.

I then had two incidents where I was unable to even ping the default gateway address consistently. AOL IM would keep dropping off, login, drop off. Magically it cleared up after a few hours. It cleared up once while I was on the phone arguing I did not have to uninstall and re-install any software to correct the problem. If you lie and say you did then you can proceed to the next level otherwise they do not care to help you further.

The third time I had to call was when one of the four modem lights was completely out, and another alternating between orange and green. Not a good thing. Juno needed to open a ticket with Covad. Someone dropped the ball because help was not forthcoming. With repeated calls we were getting nowhere, and Juno had nothing to tell us. We were told so and so could do the test but was not available right now. He'll call. Never happened. During this time I was copied on email from Covad wanting to know my availability for a test. Juno never called me. I replied to the email but Covad only wanted to talk to the ISP. We finally contacted the Board of Public Utilities and this seemed to light a fire. Suddenly Juno and Covad are both willing to talk to us. We heard twice from Juno that the person who this was assigned to was not there. Funny that with the client base they have only one person can do these tests. Or are they silly enough to assign problems to staff who are not working? We finally did the modem test nine days after the original problem was opened and Covad dispatched Verizon who had to fix a jumper on a phone somewhere. After that the four lights became green once again. (Note: no software uninstall-reinstall was required for this out of my house physical problem.)

DHCP - good for the ISP, but I think the two instances where we could not ping the default gateway consistently was a badly assigned address. Juno disagreed stating that that could never happen BUT turn your modem off for a minute and then back on, letting it resync. Funny, but that did not work. Just a few hours later it started working fine by itself. I wonder if another user got fed up and turned their PC off. I was going to suggest I turn mine off and let the Juno rep ping the address but it was obvious they would not have understood that if they got a response someone else was assigned that address.

member for 12.9 years, 11 visits, last login: 12.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by stanfordd9 See Profile

• Location: Denton,Denton,TX
  • Telco party Covad
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Consistent connection, stable download speeds, works fine with Linux!"
Bad "HORRIBLE ping (1st hop from Dallas is NJ), nonexistent rebate"
Overall "Beware your pings will suck and you won't get that fabled rebate."

I ordered Juno Express in Denton, TX in October of 2000. The whole thing was set up within 10 days including Verizon setting up a 2nd line to my apt. and Covad coming out to set up my DSL Router. It worked from day one. The only problems are that the server is in New Jersey, therefore my first hop from the DFW area is New Jersey . . IE my pings are always around 200 and up. Not good for games. Also I never recieved my rebate and have been ignored ever since. My experience tells me that you will pay 200 dollars to set up Juno, do NOT expect the rebate as it is a pipe dream. So to sum up if Juno fixes the latency problems and gets Covad off it's butt as far as the rebate goes (or doesn't tell people there will be something when they know there won't), if they fix those 2 things, it would be an outstanding ISP. The good points are that the download speeds are pretty good and consistent (~500-600 kbps or 70kbps binary download) and that it works great with Linux - I use Mandrake Linux 7.2 which had it up and running right out of the box.

Comments:

Review by jeff66 See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
  • Telco party Southwestern Bell
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Fast and easy installation"
Bad "Poor communication between Covad and SWbell led to installation delay"
Overall "So far I am very pleased with Juno Express"

I was a satisfied Juno dial up customer for 8 months before I decided to upgrade to Juno Express in late December 2000. I ordered Juno Express at $49.95 per month for a six month contract. My telephone line was qualified for DSL through the Juno Express web site for the standard Juno Express service of 608 Kbps downstream and 128 Kbps upstream. Another bonus for upgading at this time was to take advatage of a full mail in rebate on the $198 installation fee.

Covad (Juno's DSL provider) determined that my telephone line supported shared line ADSL which required only one visit by the Covad technician to install the service. My original installation date of Jan 11, 2001 was cancelled just 2 days before because Southwestern Bell failed to connect my local loop to Covad's DSL equipment. This incident clearly showed poor communication between Covad and Southwestern Bell resulting in a needless delay. The DSL installation was finally completed on January 22. The installation took only about 30 minutes. The technician installed a filter on my telephone, connected the Efficient Networks SpeedStream 5260 Modem, and verified that the modem was working properly using a laptop computer. I then connected the modem to my computer and installed the software. The connection process was simple and painless.

Using DSL-Reports Speed Tester, my download speeds range from 470-500 Kbps or ~75-80% of the maximum speed of 608 Kbps; Covad says that I am ~5600 feet from the CO. As another test of the DSL performance, I downloaded an 8.5 MB program which would have taken ~20 minutes to download on my 56 Kbps connection but was downloaded in 3 minutes using Juno Express. I also obtained a latency score of 65 for my connection using the DoctorPing v2.0 utility which is better than average for users in Texas.

Note: The information on the Juno Express site concerning the connection between the modem and a computer is incorrect. The web site states that the DSL service can be connected to a computer using either a 10 BaseT NIC or USB; however, the Juno Express Welcome Package information sent by mail clearly states the modem connects to the computer using ONLY a 10 BaseT NIC. Anyone who is planning to subscribe to Juno Express must have a 10 BaseT NIC installed. The Covad technician does not install the NIC since, according to the Covad technician and the Juno Express guide, the contract between Juno and Covad does not cover providing a NIC or the installation of a NIC into the customer's computer. Apparently other ISPs allow the technicians to open the customers machine and install the NIC. However, NICs are inexpensive and the installation of a NIC was a very easy do-it yourself upgade.

Overall I would recommend Juno Express DSL and Covad.

Comments:

Review by rhymeratic See Profile

• Location: Queens Village,Queens,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Very quick setup, first week of speed was good."
Bad "Suddenly I cannot get speeds past 128 download, upload is fine"
Overall "It's still early so I think everything will be peachy"

As you know we just had a HUGE Winter storm in New York. I live in Queens. Now i had just gotten up and running with Juno/Covad/Bell Atlantic a week prior to this and the speeds were as they claim for the most part. But when the storm hit, I cannot get past 128 in speed checks over here downloading, is that a cause for concern because my connection speed seems AWFULLY slow now and I'm feeling it in Napster. Setup was VERY QUICK, VERY SMOOTH. I was originally gonna go with Mindspring but they were very very slow (literally) and caused me a headache. i just got one complaint about juno, I'm trying to hook up 2 computers to my connection and as you would know they will NOT help me at all. Has anyone gotten the linksys dsl/cable modem router to work with Juno's service???

Well guys I would like to inform you that I figured out a way for the timebeing to share the internet and that was by using the linksys dsl router 4 port as a hub instead of router and using some software from my old diamond homefree network to use Wingate to share the access. It has worked greatly BUT MY CONNECTION SPEED IS STILL SLOW. I called Juno and they are now setting up a looptest and they are getting in contact with covad for me possibly to stop by my home to check on my connection. Basically Juno has done everything i've asked of them and if only they offered faster service than 608/128, they'd be number 1 in my book. I cant knock them on the network issue because they've been solid overall and especially helpful in gettin things done for me. Well worth the price, but I may still switch back to earthlink just because they got the faster service, and since Juno Web is free dialup, I can still use that since I need that. Earthlink's 20hrs a month is TOO little for me. Also I never knew America Offline had DSL service, must be that bad!

Ok now they seem to have steadied my connection a bit. I still have some problems with it dropping well below 100kb on download, they still call me back to check up on me and they have figured that it has to do with the times during the day I use it. They cleaned out the friction from my box, which was the NEXT day after my call which was wonderful and then covad themselves came out since bell atlantic botched it because they forgot to reconnect me down in my box outside, they did that 2 days after. I've been getting fairly consistent speeds of 400-450 dl and 110 upload which i guess isnt that bad for a 608dl 128 upload since you say that 80% of what they say is the speed that u get is solid. Well I'm a VERY happy customer now and I recommend to go to JUNO if you want a SOLID performer with SOLID tech support. The tech support is TRULY OUTSTANDING!!! They kept me informed constantly, checked up on me, had conference calls with I and Covad. It was great, I had a constant person working with me. Her name was Eileen or however you spell it. Even though I am still semi rough during the daytime I think they'll fix that, they are supposed to call me tomorrow about it. I know there are a whole lot of other services out there with MUCH faster speeds but I think based on my experience that this is the way to go so I say JUNO basically for you.

Comments:

Review by Jason8500 See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Very Fast installation, fairly reliable, great support staff, good download speeds"
Bad "Cant think of any now......."
Overall "Juno is willing to work with customers to get the service they expect!"

Juno in Chicago seemed like a good choice, despite the fact that they required a 6 month contract. I would advise anyone to NOT sign a contract with any ISP, becasue they often oversell their networks and many refuse to guarentee speed, so often times you are left with bad service and no escape.

The install here was remarkably quick! Just about 3 weeks after placing the order, the Covad tech was at my door. The Covad tech was excellent-- he knew what he was doing and we ran into no problems there. The initial speed was pretty good for about 1 MONTH. This is where my complaint comes in. After that month, I was somehow routed to New Jersey for my first hop upon trace route testing. This made my lowest ping jump 160 MS! My dial up modem easily out performs that! I dont know why they chose to route like this (neither do any of the techs I have spoken with), but if they dont have a pop server in Chicago, then I see NO reason for ANYONE in Chicago to get this service, especially if they are into online gaming, which many DSL customers are. Most gamers pay a premium for DSL to lower their ping so that gaming is possible-- this doesnt work when your first hop onto the network is several states away and your ping times to ANY server are ridiculous. Juno has told me they are working on the problem now (for last 2 weeks), and if they can somehow make DSL ping better than my 33.6 dial up modem, then I will change my opinion of Juno/Covad and update this review. Until then, I cannot in good faith recommend this service to anyone in chicago. They dont appear to have any equipment anywhere near the city (or at least IM not routed to it) and a dial up account will give you similar latency for about 1/5th the price.

******UPDATE******

I have spoken with Juno customer service reps on numerous occassions concerning the ping/routing problems I was having. Having worked with past ISPs, I was highly skeptical that their reps would be able to fix any of the problems I was having. Much to my surprise, I was wrong. Juno reps are all very competent and congenial. I was impressed by the knowledge that the tech support staff demonstrated. I communicated the problem, and they fixed the problem, keeping me updated all the while. THIS is how customer service should be. I have changed my opinion and would easily recommend Juno to anyone. Juno is a model example in a relatively new industry and their actions will certainly reflect well on their future as an internet service provider.

My DSL has been rerouted and Chicago is now my first hop. My ping has dropped well over 100 ms from previous (most hops are around 50 ms instead of 150-200 ms) and I could not be happier.

member for 13.5 years, 36 visits, last login: 13.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by bartem01 See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Very reliable and stable connection"
Bad "had a couple shortages recently"
Overall "Good value for the money"

I first heard of JunoExpress in May,2000, so I called them up to get DSL because I was already fed up with AOL. After they checked my location(NYC) and I got a green light for installation the process took 15 days to get me running. The only thing is that now I have a wire running from the kitchen to my bedroom(Bell Atlantic-Verizon fault). But it's OK, 'cause a Covad tech made it almost invisible.

What for service? I am happy with that(608/128 kbs are actually 589/102 kbs) though I had a problem connecting recently. I called up the Juno techs, and they told me that there is a problem in New York area and the service would up in an hour or so. So in 45 mins I hit the web again. A couple of days later the same thing accurred. I called them up again (24/7!!!). But in this time there weren't any problems at all on their side but my winipcfg. We worked around the configuration and I was done in less then 10 mins(couple of reboots etc.). And anyways during these shortages I used juno dial-up connection with no problem.

member for 13.4 years, 288 visits, last login: 2.1 years ago