Juno Express page on DSLReports

Review by gazinc See Profile

• Location: Geneva,Kane,IL
  • Telco party Ameritech
Good "Fast install"
Bad "No service at all after 6 days"
Overall "Who is to blame? Covad or Juno"

Service? What Service?

Juno was great at the get go. I was up and running after just over two weeks. When the tech came to install, he said it was running to slow. He did a line test and said that there might be a bad connection. After 6 days, Ameritech came and check the line. They said all was OK, and the problem could be with Covad. After that, I had no service at all! After calling Covad, they said they would have to wait to hear from Ameritech. Well, the wait went on. After 4 day went past, and several calls, Ameritech came and tested the line. This time with me standing there. All check out OK again. Still, no service! Finally, on Monday morning, Covad calls to see if the service was working. I told them no, and it hasn't been for a week now. He told me they got the word back from Ameritech, and the line was OK, so they would send out an install tech to replace the modem. Two days later, at 7:30pm, in he comes. Installs a new modem, and still NO SERVICE! Tech makes a call, and runs a test, and blames Ameritech for not doing their job to conect the service, (which they had done, and checked twice) and tells me that they will have to open a trouble ticket with Ameritech to fix the line. I was told to be patient, it could take at least a week. The big question is, why isn't Juno pushing them more to get this fixed, and when can't Covad go and check there equipment at the central office?

The bottom line is, I dumped the service and will sign up with someone else.

Comments:

Review by ajmain See Profile

• Location: Glen Ellyn,Du Page,IL
  • Telco party Ameritech
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Setup was fast. First 2 months went well."
Bad "For the past month or so, speed has been well BELOW MODEM SPEED."
Overall "It's a Covad problem, and Juno will let me out of my contract."

Juno told me today that Covad is so far behind on its installations/etc that there's nothing they can do to improve my service. They think it'll get better in 4 - 5 weeks. Right now I get decent speeds overnight, but once business hours hit, I go to crawl speed. Sometimes I have so little speed that it's as if it's not even there.

So now I'm looking for a new ISP.

Comments:

Review by Jer Jr See Profile

• Location: Allentown,Lehigh,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Good speed(when their not upgrading)and very reliable. Covad rep was in and out in 20 minutes. Didn't have to change my email."
Bad "Covad and/or Juno shut the network down without giving any notice , on a saturday no less"
Overall "I get 10x the speed of 56k and only twice as much as AOL charges my dad and brother. I'm satisified with my decision."

I ordered the 608/128 and i receive anywhere from 490-520 down and 90-110 up on most days. This is about 80-85% of signup speed which i find excellent. DSL was ordered and running in 30 days and would have been sooner but telephone company missed the first appointment and ended up 10 days late. On the other hand, Covad was here ,did the wiring ,set me up and left before the app time. At $50 a month and no problems for the first 3 months I find junoexpress to be an excellent deal. Service was offline for 1 day during this time. I'd like to compare my exp with other junoexpress members if they would only write a review.My other considerations were Fastnet DSL(also Covad) and RCN cable but deceided to stay with juno because prices were comparable and i already was with them.

member for 14.1 years, 68 visits, last login: 13.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by sgrnbrg2000 See Profile

• Location: Buffalo,Erie,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
  • CLEC party: Covad

DSL REPORTS IS MOST INFORMATIVE.
USING YOUR SPEED TESTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS INCREASED MY SPEED 30 X FASTER.
THANX.
StevieGee

member for 14 years, 1 visits, last login: 14 years ago

Comments:

Review by timnpeg See Profile

• Location: East Rockaway,Nassau,NY
Good "17 days from intial contact to high speed surfing!!!"
Bad "My former ISP added dsl at better rate 30 days after I switched."

I was in no hurry to sign up for anything sponsored by Juno. I consider them the AOL of free ISP and email services. They set up the system to make you think that you have to use thier proprietery software, which is an ad bloated dinasoar. Using a free pop3 email service with MS Outlook took care of that.

What attracted me was Juno dsl was supplied and installed by Covad. Covad supplied a new phone line (Bell Atlantic actually scheduled an appt. in one week and kept it.)and Covad installed the inside wiring just 5 days later. They supplied a SpeedStream 5260 DSL Modem for $198 (Full rebate received in 4 weeks). I subscribed for 640k service and have averaged just under 600 with no noticable problems.

I have no complaints.

(famous last words)

Tim Hughes
Long Island, NY

• Location: Orlando,Orange,FL
Good "easy up-grade for long term Juno consumer allows me to keep my old e-mail address"
Bad "BellSouth not in any real hurry to assist competitor with install"
Overall "Covad tech was awesome"

Waited patiently for Juno Express to become available in Orlando. Covad
subsequently performed install on behalf of Juno. BellSouth had to come
out twice before Covad was ready to do their thing. Have had the DSL
approx 1 week now. Appears to be much faster than my old Juno ISP
connection. One large e-mail file was sent out in 3 minutes, while it
used to take 25 to 30 minutes to send same file.
KF in Orlando FL

(review was emailed from domain juno.com)