Juno Express page on DSLReports

Review by ktomiak See Profile

• Location: Wyckoff,Bergen,NJ
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Has dial-in capability when DSL fails or you travel"
Bad "Staff is not knowledgeable about wiring, basic networking, they will have you re-install software for line problems!"
Overall "When it works, it is good, when there are problems you really have problems."

I ordered the Juno Express DSL service (up to 21 times faster than a modem) at up to 608 download and 128 upload. I used to get about 504 download as tested on three different speed test services. After a ten day outage and repair on the phone line I now top at about 310. Juno is now claiming they offer "at-best-effort". Gone is the claim to give you x percent better than a modem.

Original representative argued Covad had to have a new line installed dedicated just to DSL. Mind you, I just dropped Verizon because their software refused to open an account (that is another story). Verizon was able to share the second line I have with phone service and DSL service. The rep then insisted Covad needed to run four wire for the service. Verizon only required two. Sure enough, Covad was not expecting to run any wire so it was handy that I aready had two wires run to the right location. Yeah, they really only needed two like I told the rep.

The Covad technician hooked up the modem to his laptop and ran a speed test that showed excellent service. I top out at about 508KB download, even after doing all the tweaking in the registry that many sites suggest. Some sites suggest of you get 85 percent of the claimed speed you are doing good so this seemed acceptable.

I then had two incidents where I was unable to even ping the default gateway address consistently. AOL IM would keep dropping off, login, drop off. Magically it cleared up after a few hours. It cleared up once while I was on the phone arguing I did not have to uninstall and re-install any software to correct the problem. If you lie and say you did then you can proceed to the next level otherwise they do not care to help you further.

The third time I had to call was when one of the four modem lights was completely out, and another alternating between orange and green. Not a good thing. Juno needed to open a ticket with Covad. Someone dropped the ball because help was not forthcoming. With repeated calls we were getting nowhere, and Juno had nothing to tell us. We were told so and so could do the test but was not available right now. He'll call. Never happened. During this time I was copied on email from Covad wanting to know my availability for a test. Juno never called me. I replied to the email but Covad only wanted to talk to the ISP. We finally contacted the Board of Public Utilities and this seemed to light a fire. Suddenly Juno and Covad are both willing to talk to us. We heard twice from Juno that the person who this was assigned to was not there. Funny that with the client base they have only one person can do these tests. Or are they silly enough to assign problems to staff who are not working? We finally did the modem test nine days after the original problem was opened and Covad dispatched Verizon who had to fix a jumper on a phone somewhere. After that the four lights became green once again. (Note: no software uninstall-reinstall was required for this out of my house physical problem.)

DHCP - good for the ISP, but I think the two instances where we could not ping the default gateway consistently was a badly assigned address. Juno disagreed stating that that could never happen BUT turn your modem off for a minute and then back on, letting it resync. Funny, but that did not work. Just a few hours later it started working fine by itself. I wonder if another user got fed up and turned their PC off. I was going to suggest I turn mine off and let the Juno rep ping the address but it was obvious they would not have understood that if they got a response someone else was assigned that address.

member for 12.9 years, 11 visits, last login: 12.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by jeff66 See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
  • Telco party Southwestern Bell
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Fast and easy installation"
Bad "Poor communication between Covad and SWbell led to installation delay"
Overall "So far I am very pleased with Juno Express"

I was a satisfied Juno dial up customer for 8 months before I decided to upgrade to Juno Express in late December 2000. I ordered Juno Express at $49.95 per month for a six month contract. My telephone line was qualified for DSL through the Juno Express web site for the standard Juno Express service of 608 Kbps downstream and 128 Kbps upstream. Another bonus for upgading at this time was to take advatage of a full mail in rebate on the $198 installation fee.

Covad (Juno's DSL provider) determined that my telephone line supported shared line ADSL which required only one visit by the Covad technician to install the service. My original installation date of Jan 11, 2001 was cancelled just 2 days before because Southwestern Bell failed to connect my local loop to Covad's DSL equipment. This incident clearly showed poor communication between Covad and Southwestern Bell resulting in a needless delay. The DSL installation was finally completed on January 22. The installation took only about 30 minutes. The technician installed a filter on my telephone, connected the Efficient Networks SpeedStream 5260 Modem, and verified that the modem was working properly using a laptop computer. I then connected the modem to my computer and installed the software. The connection process was simple and painless.

Using DSL-Reports Speed Tester, my download speeds range from 470-500 Kbps or ~75-80% of the maximum speed of 608 Kbps; Covad says that I am ~5600 feet from the CO. As another test of the DSL performance, I downloaded an 8.5 MB program which would have taken ~20 minutes to download on my 56 Kbps connection but was downloaded in 3 minutes using Juno Express. I also obtained a latency score of 65 for my connection using the DoctorPing v2.0 utility which is better than average for users in Texas.

Note: The information on the Juno Express site concerning the connection between the modem and a computer is incorrect. The web site states that the DSL service can be connected to a computer using either a 10 BaseT NIC or USB; however, the Juno Express Welcome Package information sent by mail clearly states the modem connects to the computer using ONLY a 10 BaseT NIC. Anyone who is planning to subscribe to Juno Express must have a 10 BaseT NIC installed. The Covad technician does not install the NIC since, according to the Covad technician and the Juno Express guide, the contract between Juno and Covad does not cover providing a NIC or the installation of a NIC into the customer's computer. Apparently other ISPs allow the technicians to open the customers machine and install the NIC. However, NICs are inexpensive and the installation of a NIC was a very easy do-it yourself upgade.

Overall I would recommend Juno Express DSL and Covad.

Comments:

Review by rhymeratic See Profile

• Location: Queens Village,Queens,NY
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Very quick setup, first week of speed was good."
Bad "Suddenly I cannot get speeds past 128 download, upload is fine"
Overall "It's still early so I think everything will be peachy"

As you know we just had a HUGE Winter storm in New York. I live in Queens. Now i had just gotten up and running with Juno/Covad/Bell Atlantic a week prior to this and the speeds were as they claim for the most part. But when the storm hit, I cannot get past 128 in speed checks over here downloading, is that a cause for concern because my connection speed seems AWFULLY slow now and I'm feeling it in Napster. Setup was VERY QUICK, VERY SMOOTH. I was originally gonna go with Mindspring but they were very very slow (literally) and caused me a headache. i just got one complaint about juno, I'm trying to hook up 2 computers to my connection and as you would know they will NOT help me at all. Has anyone gotten the linksys dsl/cable modem router to work with Juno's service???

Well guys I would like to inform you that I figured out a way for the timebeing to share the internet and that was by using the linksys dsl router 4 port as a hub instead of router and using some software from my old diamond homefree network to use Wingate to share the access. It has worked greatly BUT MY CONNECTION SPEED IS STILL SLOW. I called Juno and they are now setting up a looptest and they are getting in contact with covad for me possibly to stop by my home to check on my connection. Basically Juno has done everything i've asked of them and if only they offered faster service than 608/128, they'd be number 1 in my book. I cant knock them on the network issue because they've been solid overall and especially helpful in gettin things done for me. Well worth the price, but I may still switch back to earthlink just because they got the faster service, and since Juno Web is free dialup, I can still use that since I need that. Earthlink's 20hrs a month is TOO little for me. Also I never knew America Offline had DSL service, must be that bad!

Ok now they seem to have steadied my connection a bit. I still have some problems with it dropping well below 100kb on download, they still call me back to check up on me and they have figured that it has to do with the times during the day I use it. They cleaned out the friction from my box, which was the NEXT day after my call which was wonderful and then covad themselves came out since bell atlantic botched it because they forgot to reconnect me down in my box outside, they did that 2 days after. I've been getting fairly consistent speeds of 400-450 dl and 110 upload which i guess isnt that bad for a 608dl 128 upload since you say that 80% of what they say is the speed that u get is solid. Well I'm a VERY happy customer now and I recommend to go to JUNO if you want a SOLID performer with SOLID tech support. The tech support is TRULY OUTSTANDING!!! They kept me informed constantly, checked up on me, had conference calls with I and Covad. It was great, I had a constant person working with me. Her name was Eileen or however you spell it. Even though I am still semi rough during the daytime I think they'll fix that, they are supposed to call me tomorrow about it. I know there are a whole lot of other services out there with MUCH faster speeds but I think based on my experience that this is the way to go so I say JUNO basically for you.

Comments:

Review by bartem01 See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Very reliable and stable connection"
Bad "had a couple shortages recently"
Overall "Good value for the money"

I first heard of JunoExpress in May,2000, so I called them up to get DSL because I was already fed up with AOL. After they checked my location(NYC) and I got a green light for installation the process took 15 days to get me running. The only thing is that now I have a wire running from the kitchen to my bedroom(Bell Atlantic-Verizon fault). But it's OK, 'cause a Covad tech made it almost invisible.

What for service? I am happy with that(608/128 kbs are actually 589/102 kbs) though I had a problem connecting recently. I called up the Juno techs, and they told me that there is a problem in New York area and the service would up in an hour or so. So in 45 mins I hit the web again. A couple of days later the same thing accurred. I called them up again (24/7!!!). But in this time there weren't any problems at all on their side but my winipcfg. We worked around the configuration and I was done in less then 10 mins(couple of reboots etc.). And anyways during these shortages I used juno dial-up connection with no problem.

member for 13.4 years, 288 visits, last login: 2.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by Jer Jr See Profile

• Location: Allentown,Lehigh,PA
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Good speed(when their not upgrading)and very reliable. Covad rep was in and out in 20 minutes. Didn't have to change my email."
Bad "Covad and/or Juno shut the network down without giving any notice , on a saturday no less"
Overall "I get 10x the speed of 56k and only twice as much as AOL charges my dad and brother. I'm satisified with my decision."

I ordered the 608/128 and i receive anywhere from 490-520 down and 90-110 up on most days. This is about 80-85% of signup speed which i find excellent. DSL was ordered and running in 30 days and would have been sooner but telephone company missed the first appointment and ended up 10 days late. On the other hand, Covad was here ,did the wiring ,set me up and left before the app time. At $50 a month and no problems for the first 3 months I find junoexpress to be an excellent deal. Service was offline for 1 day during this time. I'd like to compare my exp with other junoexpress members if they would only write a review.My other considerations were Fastnet DSL(also Covad) and RCN cable but deceided to stay with juno because prices were comparable and i already was with them.

member for 13.6 years, 68 visits, last login: 12.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by sgrnbrg2000 See Profile

• Location: Buffalo,Erie,NY
  • CLEC party: Covad

DSL REPORTS IS MOST INFORMATIVE.
USING YOUR SPEED TESTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS INCREASED MY SPEED 30 X FASTER.
THANX.
StevieGee

• Location: Orlando,Orange,FL
Good "easy up-grade for long term Juno consumer allows me to keep my old e-mail address"
Bad "BellSouth not in any real hurry to assist competitor with install"
Overall "Covad tech was awesome"

Waited patiently for Juno Express to become available in Orlando. Covad
subsequently performed install on behalf of Juno. BellSouth had to come
out twice before Covad was ready to do their thing. Have had the DSL
approx 1 week now. Appears to be much faster than my old Juno ISP
connection. One large e-mail file was sent out in 3 minutes, while it
used to take 25 to 30 minutes to send same file.
KF in Orlando FL

(review was emailed from domain juno.com)