Embarq Now CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by Dakhanavar See Profile

• Location: Hertford,Perquimans,NC
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Nice Technicians coming to the house."
Bad "The speed is so up and down."
Overall "It was fine until about a month ago."

I have not had many problems with this company. Just recently have I started having slower speeds and high latency. I cannot stand a company that tells you it is on your end. (Router, Line , ETC). I had to call back 3-4 times in one night just to get someone to actually listen to my problem and run me through all the tests. Thanks to that person I actually have people checking into it. Sad thing is that I have had this problem every night for about 2 weeks straight with no relief.

This company is not an all around bad company. Just they seem to want to take the money we pay monthly and not do anything with it to help the people with crappy connections.

EDIT:: Forgot to mention I ordered the 10meg service. I get downloads at a speed of about 2.5meg starting about 5-6pm.

Comments:

Review by hcwonline See Profile

• Location: Las Vegas,Clark,NV
  • Telco party Sprint
Good "Not much these days.."
Bad "um....everything."
Overall "Be afraid."

A few years ago when our issues began to become a problem, I actually felt that being a long time customer (14 years) this was a temporary rough patch and Earthlink/Century/Embarq would work it out as they always had.

What an Idiot I am. I was met with reduced DSL speed from 5mb to 2.9 (not to mention being billed at the rate for 10mb). Unresponsive Tech service, and non existant customer service.

I finally realize that this is the new business model. Really. If I treat customers, especially long time loyal customers in this manner. Im screwed.

As soon as I can I am throwing these bastards overboard. Not a minute to soon. I look forward to not being overbilled for Dish, or charged for the equipment already sent back (at our expense). And maybe, maybe I can get the speeds that is the norm for the majority of the USA.

Potential Las Vegas customers, You Have Been Warned.

member for 13.2 years, 452 visits, last login: 2.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by Mike Immer See Profile

• Location: Napoleon,Lafayette,MO
Good "local techs are nice guys"
Bad "horrible, horrible customer service, unmet promises, unmet obligations, even those received in writing."
Overall "If I had another viable choice, I would take it."

For almost 7 years, I have received promises, even in writing, for HighSpeed DSL. I have had repeated solicitations, and even received assurances, in writing, to have service and bandwidge upgraded, without them meeting their commitments. Their customer service is terrible. Their sales AND customer service people consistenly lie. And if I had a choice, I would avoid them entirely.

Comments:
CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

Here to help!

Hello!
I'm very sorry to hear that we haven't been able to provide the level of service you'd expect from us. I'm one of the managers within the executive office. My team has a way to see if there are any planned expansions in your area. Email us with the details of your issue as well as the physical address/account number.

Thank you for your time!

-Doug
@Centurylink Help Team

Review by Branth See Profile

• Location: Avon Park,Highlands,FL
Good "I connect to the internet, no down time so far"
Bad "Speeds are slow, way less than advertised"
Overall "Slow speed and no interest in fixing it."

The set up was easy. Basically just plug in my Mac and airport router and was up and running. I don't use the e-mail or web space I just want connection to the Net. Last few years speed has been very good 10Mps. This year I'm lucky to get 8 and normally around 4. Called to complain and was told you never get advertised speeds. The asked me to connect direct via their modem - no router - and go to their site. Naturally I was getting full speed. I immediately went on to 3 different speed test sites (still via direct with their modem) and was down to 4 Mps. Interesting. Did the line quality check etc... everything at my end is fine.

I was talking to some Snowbirds who come down in Late November and Dec and some have said they can't even get connected as they were told by CenturyLink "there is no more room". I guess they mean the closest node is maxed out. Some asked if more room would be available and they, CenturylInk, said NO. So I guess if a node is maxed out and all sorts of people are on at the same time doing a Netflix movie the speeds are going to be slow. But to not even want to upgrade or add more connections. Poor show CenturyLink

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

Upto

they provide you "up to speeds" while on the Internet. Their internal site is the one they go by since they can control it. ALL ISPs do this.

Review by Mr Matt See Profile

• Location: Eustis,Lake,FL
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Price structure gives customer several price tiers. $14.95 isn't bad for 768K when bundled with voice."
Bad "Voice Service reliability has declined. I received several attractive offers by phone but CSR never followed up."
Overall "Embarq sales never follows up with written price quotation and TOS."

This review is to reflect on why I have not switched from Comcast to Embarq.

When I moved to Eustis, Florida the best deal was a Broadband package offered by Comcast through Circuit City. See my review of Comcast Broadband under Comcast reviews.

I planned to try Embarq Broadband when the Comcast's six month introductory rate changed from $19.95 per month to $42.95 per month. I contacted Embarq in mid 2007 and was advised that the only available download speeds at my address were 768K for $19.95 per month or 1.5M, for $24.95 per month. I was also advised that in order to obtain service and a free modem, I would have to sign a one year contract or pay an additional $10.00 per month and pay for the modem up front. I passed on the offer and continued to use Comcast for Broadband service.

About Six Months later I helped a friend that was using Embarq Broadband, set up a wireless network in his home. When he checked availability he was offered tiers from 768K to 5Mb and choose the 3Mb tier at $29.95 per month. I ran a speed test before I installed the router and found that the download speed was actually 3Mb as advertised. During the installation I called Embarq technical support and asked about switching the ZyXEL Modem to the bridge mode. The technician was helpful and provided correct instructions on changing to the bridge mode. So far I have heard no complaints about his broadband service.

Several weeks later I was contacted by Embarq and was advised that additional download speeds were available at my address up to 5M. At that time they offered Three Months of free service and a free modem if I signed a one year contract. Since mid 2007 I have received several solicitations from Embarq offering anything from Three Months of free service to Six Months of free service if I sign a One Year contract. I always ask the representative for a copy of the TOS and Contract before I sign same and have never receive the information that I requested.

From my friends experience Embarq provides satisfactory service and more choices for the customer. I am again considering Embarq Broadband and will update this review if I can get a written proposal from Embarq sales.

Edited 6/24/10

CenturyLink voice reliability has declined. I was considering subscribing to CenturyLink DSL but I have experienced two voice outages in the last year affecting our voice service up to Eight Hours. Embarrassing because I can no longer tell the Comcast representative, when I receive a call pitching Digital Voice, the reason that I subscribe to CenturyLink service is so that I can call Comcast and complain when my cable service craps out.

I have been following the CenuryLink forum and have found that CenturyLink has over subscribed their DSLAMS in this area. Many customers are complaining that they are suffering time sensitive low throughput. Like from after school until Midnight.

Edited 2/17/2011

CenturyLink just revised their pricing. They removed the 5MB Tier and added a 25MB tier. On their website they indicate that 3MB cost $24.95, 10MB cost 39.95 and although not yet on their website I was quoted around $65.00 for 25MB. All prices quoted were for internet service bundled with voice. If a subscriber signs a contract they now allow a 30 day trial period and claim that if the subscriber is not satisfied they will refund their money and release them from the contract. They were not clear about the procedure to return the modem. One thing that irritates me is they do not disclose a $3.45 modem rental fee on their website. They indicated that I can purchase my own modem but claimed that they will support a customer owned modem even if it is the same model they rent. The only thing keeping me from trying their service is the contract. If one does not sign a contract they charge a $15.00 a month punitive fee.

Please see my review of Comcast.

Edited January 8, 2012

Trying to determine the rates for CenturyLink Telephone service is like trying to pick up jello with your fingers. Their website is almost useless. They require the subscriber to start an order before they can learn the price of what they are subscribing to. When I recently made changes to my service, the only offerings were basic and unlimited. They have since added a middle tier that does not require the subscriber to subscribe to unlimited long distance. Before they added the middle tier the subscriber had to order all features individually if they did not subscribe to unlimited long distance service. Subscribers can now order a package with ten features with or without unlimited long distance as a bundle. In general their rates appear intended to be confusing. Where available subscribers have the option of subscribing to telephone service through their CATV company.

I considered switching to CenturyLink HSI but gave up because I could not get an accurate price quote. I do not want to pay a premium for HSI if I do not sign a contact. I am still using Comcast for Broadband.

member for 6.4 years, 1701 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
emissionsdoc

join:2002-04-19
IN & FL

Century link prices in Eustis, Florida

Not a secret? $59.95 /10mbs internet/ home phone/ unlimited long distance/ 5 years guarantee/ no contract.
Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Re: Century link prices in Eustis, Florida

Thanks for the heads up. When I subscribed to the unlimited voice plan the stated price was $44.95. After adding all of the crap charges I am paying $63.03 per month. Is the monthly charge $59.95 or $59.95 + $20.00 or more in crap charges, which comes to $79.95 or more per month?
emissionsdoc

join:2002-04-19
IN & FL

Re: Century link prices in Eustis, Florida

Of course it's only the base. There taxes on taxes? Fees up the whazoo, both city,state, and Federal. The actual bill for is $76.76. The speeds are reported @ 11773 Mbs at the router. They usually speedtest at various sites @ 10.05 +/- Mbs. The service at the higher rate has been fairly constant. There have been a few days of slowed speeds in the last 60 days. They seem to try and do maintenance and upgrades to the systems on some Sunday nights, very late into Monday morning.

Review by Rebel See Profile

• Location: Greenville,Pitt,NC
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)

None

Comments:

Review by mdaddyrabbit See Profile

• Location: Clinton,Sampson,NC
Good "Customer service is ok"
Bad "Need more speed; speeds are in the stone age"
Overall "No updating of equipment or speeds in a long time"

Sprint to Embarq to now Centurylink is still working. The upload speed that I once started out with is now lower and that sucks. The 10M line that I have had for years now needs to speed up. I mean when are they going to upgrade to some fiber? Centurylink is the only choice in my area and they know this so the chances of upgrade will be slim to none untill another competitor comes to the area. .

Comments:

Review by HeavyHemi See Profile

• Location: 98500
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "It was decent while it was Qwest."
Bad "Since the CTL take over, 'sucks' is inadequate as a description."
Overall "If I had another option besides going back to Dish Sat, I would be gone."

Service was a steady 1.35Mbps for months up loads consistently over 0.75Mbps.

3 days ago my download has gone to crap at less than 0.1Mbps 24/7 consistently and my ping varies from 100msec to over 1000msec. Previously it was a steady 59-60msec on interleave. I've made several calls to tech support and the best answer I could get is MAYBE they will have it fixed by the end of November. They cited DSLAM 'congestion'. Great, just loading the CTL web page takes several minutes. Mail times out, for get using for anything else but reading text. Frankly in this day and age, this is totally unacceptable service and response.

Comments:

Review by aschwalb See Profile

• Location: Mount Dora,Lake,FL
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Internet support wants to help"
Bad "Customer Service"
Overall "Slow service for more money than Brighthouse"

Currently only able to get 3mbs service. When I run their speedtest I get around .88mbps. ping times are 470ms. One CAt6 cable from Customer access panel to DSL modem. No other internal phone lines. Service was fine until they moved me to another DSLAM (brought my old number to replace the temporary phone number they gave me).

Comments:

Review by Sman6969 See Profile

• Location: Waynesville,Pulaski,MO
Good "nothing"
Bad "Internet speeds at LESS THAN 1mbps"
Overall "I'm terminating my contract in the morning."

I might as well go back to AOL dialup. I seriously have to take my time writing this so as to be somewhat respectable and not go into a violent ragemode. I pay for the 3mbps I would be shocked if I have ever even gotten close to that. Right now I'm getting about .25mbps. When I ping google the average is 954ms. I will never use them again. Its simple either they've oversold their bandwidth or they're putting a cap on me. I know its not on my end and I know its not the wiring or distance from the nearest hub (its about 2 blocks down the road). This is absolutely ridiculous. They took 2 weeks TWO F*******G WEEKS to come to my house and set up the wiring (during which I called every day and was told I would have a service tech by 4) and to top that off they ran a wire from the nearest telephone pole on top of the ground to my house. It was ran over by the guys who mow our lawn twice (which I repaired both times when they told me they'd have a service guy out by 4 who never showed) before they came and sank it. Their customer service people are rude at best and insisted the problems were on my side (btw this was before they ran a line to the house which i tried to explain to them) and still do (I'm direct connected to their router and the wiring in the house is brand new with little to no noise interference). I could go on with the problems I've had with them.

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Misery love company.

Here's my personal experience with these fools.

»/comment/82592