Embarq Now CenturyLink page on DSLReports

• Location: Englewood,Arapahoe,CO
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "Good speeds"
Bad "None at all"
Overall "For my area they kick ass"

I am overall still with centurylink... I am a bit ticked off about their outages and very poor customer service and so-called "tech" support...

Comments:

Review by powerspec88 See Profile

• Location: Harrisonville,Cass,MO
Good "Very fast and low lantancy."
Bad "Slow downs during the evening."

·SureWest Internet
Called Centurylink on 6/7/10 to order DSL once I found out the night before that DSL is now at my house! I live about 7 miles from the closest town so didn't know what to aspect once I called to see what I could get. Talked to a sales rep that said I could get 10/896! Ordered that plus a modem that I am renting. Said service would be turned on by Friday at 7pm. Friday morning came and a Centurylink tech come out to check my wiring as we do have a alarm system. Once that was done he said DSL was active and ready to go. This was by 9am. Hooked up my router and put the modem in bridge mode and internet was indeed up and running and at 10/896!

Have to give props to Centurylink for serving the rural areas with DSL and with good speeds.

Only down side is slow downs in the evenings. Drops to about 8Mbps between 6-11pm. Seen it as slow as 1.5Mbps but latency is still good.

member for 7.7 years, 3633 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by chazz13 See Profile

• Location: Commerce,Hunt,TX
Good "none"
Bad "speed very inconsistent - support is terrible"
Overall "non-responsive to paying customers"

totally unreliable. never know whether it will be working or if it does what speed i might get. at this point i don't think i could recommend centurylink to anyone for dsl. unfortunately no real choice here.

Comments:

Review by MurphieNB See Profile

• Location: Ben Wheeler,Van Zandt,TX
Good "Embarq went out of their way to provide DSL, as I'm in a rural area."
Overall "Great connect speed, no service interruptions, great installation service."

We're in a rural area, and DSL has been available to customers about a mile from us for a long time. Don't know how or why, but Embarq went out of their way to get us DSL. My only concern is that neighbors can't seem to get the same. From start to finish, virtually everyone involved in the installation was awesome... and I'm not saying that just because it was successful!

I've subscribed to the 3.0M download service, and everytime I've checked my speed, it's been right on.

Update: As of 04/2009, Embarq has made DSL available to more of our neighborhood. Also sending out mailers, offering naked DSL.

Update 06/16/2010: Still very pleased with the service I get from CenturyLink. I've since acquired a TV with NetFlix and Amazon streaming enabled. I've yet to encounter a problem with streaming, and the HD quality is excellent. And this is still with 3mb download service. I've considered upgrading to 5mb, but as long as it's working, why pay to upgrade?!

Comments:

Review by manray See Profile

• Location: Naples,Collier,FL
Good "Service calls - they get here when they say they will"
Bad "seems to be up to something shadey"
Overall "gotta do something"

Have had embarq service for years -alwys moved up a little bit in bandwidth speeds & up to the 3.0meg down. This May, I called (now CenturyTel) inquiring about higher speeds. Informed 10 megs would be even less than what I was paying now... Great.- sign me up! Change day arrives & I'm getting speeds up to 5-6, called in tech support, they hooked into modem & ran some diagnostics & got me up to about 6.8 - 7.9. ... I'm happy. May 12, POW! Some kinda spike hits my phone line, half rings the phone & quits. I notice bandwidth gone. speed tests reveal 256k down .5meg up.... wtf? You want the short story here? - Many days, many hours on line, 3 different techs out, lotta head scratchin, changed out modem. Thru all this, the bandwidth speeds change throughout the day / hour. I never know what I will get. Whats worse, the techs recommended dropping back to the original 3. megs down since they claimed the line couldn't handle the higher 10meg signalling. So now, I have a 3 meg limit, & still up and down speeds, (mostly down). No one has found the problem. My other choice is Comcast. You'll love this..... Go in get a modem & kit, modem doesn't come up where i need it cause the cable run is too long in office part of house. (works at another outlet) call support, gotta dispatch a tech, oh mg! Their system of calling you b4 they come by is nuts! After 2 days of this treatment missin their calls, I'm taking back their modem.

Is there any one out there that has some suggestions... (constructive only please )

Comments:

Review by GetMoney See Profile

• Location: Greenville,Pitt,NC
Good "Fast, reliable, cheap for now"
Bad "none, almost 100% uptime in 4 years or so"
Overall "In my area, if you want rock solid reliable service, then CenturyLink is the way to go."
(ratings well above consensus)

I've had service at three locations in almost 5 years total. In that time I recall my DSL service going out maybe once. I had Cox which is now Suddenlink and their service blew. Making through move to Sprint/Embarq/CenturyLink was a good one indeed. I've apparently got a grandfathered package here in NC now and if I make changes it will go up a lot. Lucky for me I don't need to change anything. It's all good!

Comments:

Review by silvapj See Profile

• Location: Quilcene,Jefferson,WA
Good "NO Comment."
Bad "Customer Service, Tech Support"
Overall "They're is More Negative things about Embarq than Positive.."

Personally I can say that Embarq isn't a good company, I've had my fair share of problems and when you ask for help because I am low income they wouldn't help me and theyre customer service really was aweful. I personally wouldn't recommend them to any person nor a family member. I know that I am NOT impressed what so ever nor am I satisfied customer.

Comments:

Review by mindragon See Profile

• Location: Las Vegas,Clark,NV
Good "They got 25mbps for $90/mo."
Bad "They only do Routed DSL. Customer Service sucks!"
Overall "I will be going back to cable."

I was looking for a faster alternative to 15 mbps Cable (Cox Cable here). On Cox I was averaging about 10-12mbps so when 25mbps fiber/dsl for $80/mo. opened up with 30 day trial I signed up. I was expecting to get a dsl modem like they always do and to continue to use my Mikrotik VPN router. I have a VPN to my office and I have to have this VPN router going.

The tech called while I was at work and indicated that he was going to be at my house in 15 minutes to do an install. I said I was at work and I asked for something in the afternoon. He said he was booked solid. The next day he did the same thing, 15 minute notice although this was right at lunch time so it worked out. I wish I had more than 15 minutes of notice.

The tech came by and installed a Cisco DDR2200 and was very evasive when I asked him to set it to bridge mode. He said I could call Tech Support and they could get that to go for me.

I logged into the router. It offers only 802.11g (typical Cisco), it blocks any VOIP services you may have and does not have bridge mode.

I called Tech Support and they answered within two to three minutes. I asked multiple times about getting the router to go in bridge mode. The tech said it was not possible to do this with this router and they do not have any other router available.

I got a number to regular customer service to cancel the service. They are only open between 8am and 5pm and I have been on hold for more than 30 minutes now to cancel the service.

Comments:

Review by TarHeel487 See Profile

• Location: Edenton,Chowan,NC
Bad "Goes out every couple of hours. Can't play Xbox Live during the day."

I have had Sprint/Embarq/CenturyLink internet for going on 5 years. It has not been a pretty experience. When I first signed up for high speed internet it took me a month before it actually started working. I hooked everything up correctly, and it just wouldn't connect. I finally was able to get connected after I had to buy a usb/ethernet adapter. I had an ethernet connection on that computer not sure why it didn't work. Anyway, I started out with 256k/download (I believe). It worked fine for years with no trouble at all.

Then they switch to "Embarq" once again no troubles with the connection, or outages anything. Then I'm not sure what happened, and they never did even let me know or tell me why, but I was upgraded to somewhere around 750k/download. I'm assuming they just done away with the slower 256k and upgraded everyone, because the price as far as I know didn't change. I know when I had 256k I was able to play Xbox Live fine all day long if I wanted to at any time and it was fine no lag.

Last summer was when some of the problems began. That's when I noticed I had been upgraded to over 700k internet. Not sure how long it had been that way because I travel a lot for work. Well, for what I started doing online, with downloading, and streaming TV episodes I needed a faster connection. I upgraded to 3mps/download (not sure of the advertised upload, but i can consistently get 500k now). I called on a Tuesday I believe, and they said it would activate after 7 on Friday. I also upgraded my orignal Sprint modem to an Embarq at the same time. Well, on that Friday the internet went out and came on again in the 6-8 pm time frame, and afterwards I could only get up to 1mps and 300k upload. I was like ok well it might take a few days. I was flying out the next day so I wasn't really concerned.

I was gone from home a month, and the entire time while I was gone I was told it was the same speed nothing had increased. So, I told them I would take care of it when I come back. When I get home I call and after talking to 4 different reps, one guy finally says he needs to send out a technician. So I was like ok, and was told he would be here around noon. Anyway around 1 the technician calls me, and tells me my internet will be out for a few he is trying something. I was like ok no problem. He shows up a half hour later and says check your internet, and whatever he did speeded it up considerably. Still not getting the advertised 3.0 but 2.5-2.7 I was happy with that. The technician told me though, that what he did should have been done as soon as I upgraded my internet over a month ago. I guess whoever I placed my order with to upgrade just didn't have the knowledge to know that. Customer service is definitely not the best. But, I was still consistently connected with no lag on Xbox Live.

The problems started when we had a huge thunderstorm here, and the internet was down for 4 days. Finally, it started working again after maybe my 10 calls to customer service. About a week later after it came back was the merger and it was officially CenturyLink. That there my problems start...It seems like every hour it goes out for a few minutes, and then comes back. I can't play Xbox live anymore during the day. ONLY at like 2 or 3 in the morning can I play Xbox and not have it lag. When I'm on the computer like now it has went out 2 times in the last hour, and I have to wait for it to come back. The lights on the modem stay the same, it's not like I lose the green DSL light and it goes out completely. Anyway, it goes in and out and has been every since this rainstorm(or the merger). Not sure which is the culprit, but I think when the internet went out for a few days it got messed up at the source, and then they "repaired" it. Whatever they did didn't fix it completely and the company I guess refuses to do so.

Comments:

Review by w0msc See Profile

• Location: Hiawatha,Brown,KS
Good "ok"
Bad "ok"
Overall "ok"
(ratings well above consensus)

I ordered the 5.0MB DSL Service from EMBARQ which is $39.95+tax. The order was made along with the order for new phone service.

member for 12.9 years, 230 visits, last login: 4.5 years ago