Videotron page on DSLReports

Review by CaptCom See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Hard to say, there's no other cable ISP available"
Bad "Connection is unstable, many days with very bad connectivity ( upload most of the time )/per month"

Its too bad there's no other cable companies that are offering a similar service. The main problem is that they are the only one. So you have to deal by yourself with problems like a bad connection during around 5 or 6 days per month. For example ( this is for Extreme High Speed - 10MB download - 1MB upload ):

Dn:8652 Kbps Up:165 Kbps testvitesse.videotron.ca
Dn:8831 Kbps Up:348 Kbps TekSavvy Solutions Inc (Toronto ON)
Dn:9333 Kbps Up:194 Kbps testvitesse.videotron.ca
Dn:9333 Kbps Up:330 Kbps testvitesse.videotron.ca
Dn:7610 Kbps Up:338 Kbps TekSavvy Solutions Inc (Toronto ON)
Dn:8865 Kbps Up:181 Kbps testvitesse.videotron.ca

See all the spped differences for each off those days? This is what I mean when I said it got a very bad connectivity. Have you ever tried to upload a 30MB file to your FTP with that speed? It is uploading at ± 6KB... it takes hours....

About the service, all they will answer you is that they will send a technician, for 75$ to check the wires and the modem. But the problem is on their side!!! Why I say that? Because the rest of the month everything is ok. Like:

Dn:9210 Kbps Up:824 Kbps testvitesse.videotron.ca

This issue always happen around the 10th of each month. The rest of the month I have nothing to say. Connectivity is ok.

Overall rate: 5/10

Comments:

Review by pwhtfld See Profile

• Location: Saint-Laurent,QC
Good "Solid, stable"
Overall "By far, the best of three different providers I've had experience with"

Install tech was discourteous, did not explain things, left no documentation....
Installation was the only bad experience - product is good

Comments:

Review by Gabidg11 See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "Rapide, stable et constant"
Bad "Rien"
Overall "Meilleure fournisseur au Québec"

Cela fait plus de 10 ans que je suis avec videotron. Avant j'avais Videoway qui était très bien, mes qu'ils ont remplaceé par illico qui est très bien aussi, jamais eux de problème avec illico. L'internet est bien aussi toujours stable et constant, que tu sois ou tu veux, la distance n'a pas d'importance avec le câble. La téléphonie pour ma pars je n'est jamais eux de problème, mes quelque un oui, dite vous que videotron vient de commencer avec la téléphonie et n'ont pas eux 100 ans pour le perfectionner, a part sa je trouve qu'il y a moins de parasite quand tu parle au téléphone et de bonne qualité.

Comments:

Review by simon19183 See Profile

• Location: Quebec,QC
Good "Reliable and Fast"
Bad "Very Expensive and Low Cap"
Overall "It's the lesser evil or the evils"

I considered Bell, but it's unreliable, not that fast, high latency but higher cap. It's still quite expensive.

I use Internet High Speed at 41$ per month when packaged with 12 month contract and TV and Phone line. If not packaged at all, it's 61$.
cap : 20 GB down 10 GB up
speed : 7 mbps down 800 kbps up.

Videotron package deal is easy to use and when packaged, cost start to make sense a little bit.

Order and install process was fine. The experience is good, if you can swallow the high price.

Comments:

Review by gpmoo7 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "availability"
Bad "speed, services, price, limited download"
Overall "stable but expensive and limited ... good to start if the availability is the most important thing for you."

First, I can't really speak about the price because it's include in my apt rent and I can download without limit because it's specified in my rent contract.

So, for now, I'm happy with my 10 Mb/s cable connection, but I would prefer a fully unlimited 20+Mb/s and with unlimited download (what I had in France before moving to Montreal).

I'll certainly not choose Videotron for my Internet connection when I'll move in my next apt.

Comments:

Review by Crumbs See Profile

• Location: Chateauguay,QC
Good "Quick install, good customer service"
Bad "No newsgroups, download caps"
Overall "Good value with Combo"

After Bell Canada increased my phone bill again and displeased with their internet service I decided to look for an alternative. Called them up and I would save a total of $35 if I get phone, internet and digital TV(which I had)

Asked for the sign up. Representative for install arrived between time promised, very professional service. The next day had bandwidth issues with my TV, the same tech came over and redid the wiring, since then all is good.

As for speed I am getting my full 7mb as promised.

Comments:

Review by MousePad See Profile

• Location: Jonquiere,QC
Good "Very reliable, good service"
Bad "Ridiculous cap still on HS service"

I've had their service since the beginning in my area, and have always been satisfied with it. Some problems at times, but hey.. It happens...

Best service as to configuration, you only have to have a NIC in your computer, and voila!

Now, if they could just remove the cap that exists on HS service, my review would go up another notch...

I now have VoIP and find it very adequate. Up until now, I can't make the difference between my old POTS service and this one. Exactly the point IMHO. So good experience here

Update, sept 2008: Still good service with Vidéotron, still has the cap though...

member for 9.5 years, 1486 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by drobbins23 See Profile

Good "Solid service"
Bad "Too expensive, renews your contract without telling you"
Overall "Service is great but its not worth getting robbed for"

I have been a long time customer with Videotron since before the extreme - unlimited was stopped. I was one of the lucky people to actually receive the letter saying that its no longer unlimited so I canceled.

I moved and was looking for another internet provider. I saw that Videotrons 7Mbps internet had a cap of $30 overages and the 10Mbps was $26 more expensive so I figured that I might as well get the slower speeds but unlimited with the $30 overages.

Everything was going well for a few months so when I saw my monthly usage was about 75 - 85gb a month I decided to go to the higher speeds. I signed up in December and in February I changed my plan. Everything was ok because when I upgraded they reassured me that it still a max of $30 overages.

I moved again and when moving my services I canceled my TV services because now I have satellite. Things now start to get interesting because I got a bill with an extra $100 added to it because of overages and when I called back to change back to the 7mbps with $30 overages they told me no problem but they are renewing my contract just like they did in February without telling me.

I don't mind paying for quality services but their shady business practices just cost them another customer and I spend about $250 - $300 a month with them.

As a side note if you are with them or are thinking about changing to them, make sure that when the tech comes to your house that he is driving a Videotron truck and is an official Videotron tech because if its a contractor then he will just mess everything up. The first contractor cut my satellite wires because he was too lazy to install his own. The second contractor stole my powered splitter/booster which is far from being cheep and the third one was so incompetent that I told him to get out of my house before I pushed him down the stairs because he would not listen to me and kept showing me his blackberry with the wrong info as if it makes everything ok.

All in all the internet is good but too bad its being run by morons and crooks.

Comments:

Review by edugas See Profile

• Location: Saint-Jerome,QC
Good "Vitesse et disponibilité"
Bad "Peering moyen en dehors du Quebec"
Overall "Prix competitif si on prend plus d'un service"

·ELECTRONICBOX
·Telebec
*Updated( J'ai le trio telephonie par cable + interrurbains illimites, télé numérique et internet HV pour ~135$/mois. J'obtiens du 6800kbps en downstream et du 780kpbs en upstream.

---

Automne 2007

La premiere installation a été remise car le proprietaire n'etait pas sur place, pourtant il n'ya avait aucun cablage a faire.. J'ai eu un autre rendez-vous 1 MOIS plus tard (demenagement en novembre donc la deuxieme installation s'est fait en decembre.. l'installation a pris environ 15 minutes, le technicien sous-traitant etait tres sympatique et poli, bel installation overall.

---

Printemps 2008

Panne de TPC cette automne, 3 jours sans telephone. Un sous-traitant de Videotron a effectue une nouvelle installation chez la proprietaire et a pris MA drop. Du coup j'ai perdu mon lien Internet et la TPC, Illico fonctionnait. 3 jours pour un rendez-vous, un tech de Videotron est venu pour constater la gaffe du sous-traitant. Il a du faire une 2e drop de la rue au mat electrique.

Demenagement 1er juillet 2008

RDV 1er juillet en AM, le tech se presente et installe les 3 services sans probleme. Satisfait du service comme avant.

member for 10.3 years, 247 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by didcrywolf See Profile

• Location: Mont-Royal,QC
Good "VOIP works fine"
Bad "Cable is very expensive and as ISP Price gougers, 30 minutes wait time for tech support, customer service"
Overall "Way over Priced"

Ok well I'm leaving Videotron. After three bills over $240-275 a month for triple play ENOUGH is ENOUGH!
They just get me too upset this last time.
In June when my high-speed Internet kept bumping me $30 a month in extra-downloads from my kids streaming music 24/7 I opted for the $74.60 ultra-high speed with no measurable increase in data speed and upped my limit to 100Gb. Bad timing on my part because with the kids away we are down to 20Gbs.
But what got me really p *& OFF was that Lately my network has to be rebooted because the system fails to reach IPs on the WAN... easy ones like hydroquebec.com...
I called Vid to say I wasn't very satisfied and their customer "loyalty" officer told me I would have to pay $120 to leave because I was on a auto renew from June...
YOU want war, YOU got it!
I looked around and for $108 TAX IN a month I will get MORE from Montreal DSL /Techsavvy then I ever did with Videotron
200Gb/month limit
2phones lines : 1 with 3 services voice mail, call display and call waiting, the other with unlimited NA America calling
The sign up fees are a bit steep at over $200 with the modem but I figure to recoup that in less than 4 months AND for $3.00 a month you can have a fixed IP if you so wish... NOW DSL Montreal don't make me regret this!!!!!!!
On to replacing cable... anybody got some pet rocks to replace the TV?