Videotron page on DSLReports

Review by jessy2 See Profile

Good "reliable service"
Bad "bandwith cap"
Overall "perfect for web browsing, read mails, ... not to download much."

order: the lady knew her job, it was really fast. I got the installation 2 days after, couldn't expect better than that :P

I have analog TV, high speed internet, telephony. pay 110$ a month.

technical support: I called them a few times (not always for my account, but also for some friends). I can't really judge the quality, as I knew exactly what to ask...it's always faster and easier when you know their job :P

QOS is perfect, only had 2 troubles over the year, one was with the dns, but I didn't really care, just switched dns and it was ok. second was a network trouble, lasted 1h, I wasn't there, so I didn't even see it but my roomate did :P

I'm gonna quit internet service soon, because 20 GB cap is not enough for me. I always have to check my bandwidth usage 5 days before the end of then month.... for example this month, I'm close to the red zone cause I dled ubuntu, a set of docs, programs, fretsonfire and a set of songs for the game...

alright, update on march 28th.
I called to cancel my services, internet and phone. I had everything prepared in advanced, talked with 2 competent agents, from customer service and retention. My internet will be cancelled on the date of april 26th, I keep the phone line. Here's how I presented things: calc how much it'd cost me to go to adsl, dry loop fees around 120$ for the year, so I asked for a discount of 120$ to keep the service. I got everything I requested and kept phone service. and I will keep it, the service is excellent.

Comments:

Review by marco See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Solid connection."
Bad "none anymore"
Overall "Best internet in Quebec"

OVer the years I find that they've been listening to their costumers. Their biggest problem was customer service, and its seemed to have improved greatly.

Comments:

Review by jackers_101 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Good rebates when you have more than one service with them"
Bad "They are ready for a cap increase the Internet cable service"
Overall "Nerver had to complain to them"

I have been with Videotron for a few years now, 5 or 6. I always had a great service. I have the illico service, High-Speed Internet and the cable phone line. They all work great. I dont have HD TV yet.

I use my Internet for gamming, many hours a week and I always have one of the best ping on the servers I play. No downtime. I only have for a combine 7-8Gb or bandwith used every month.

member for 10.6 years, 219 visits, last login: 1.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by gfeneral See Profile

• Location: j0b2s0
Good "Reliable, good speed, customer service is ok"
Bad "Expensive, low monthly caps,"
Overall "Low caps defeats the purpose of broadband"

I've been with Videotron for more than 5 years, for now with the 7mbps/820kbps service.I tried their 10mbps Extreme high speed service but didn't see much difference in speed in most of my uses. The connection is very reliable, tech support is variable, I had better luck calling them in daytime, even if you wait longer in line, still preferable in my opinion than dealing with someone who doesn't seem to know what you're talking about in the evening. Installation went smoothly the 2 times I moved and overall I'm satisfied with the service.

My only gripe is the caps, 20Gb download and 10Gb upload is very low considering the streaming content that is now available on the net. I bust the limit frequently and I don't download via torrents. Very expensive per gigabyte.

Comments:

Review by quadrant See Profile

• Location: Saint-Jerome,QC
Good "Fast and Reliable"
Bad "cant find one (maybe make it cheaper ? )"
Overall "Never seen a bad day in 10 years of service."

I say its an all round Winner .Simply because its Fast and Reliable.
The only bad side might be of its cost, then again ,91 CAN$ for a Trio Service isnt that bad .

Comments:

Review by simcloute See Profile

• Location: Trois-Rivieres,QC
Good "Really stable connexion"
Bad "bad bit caps!!"
Overall "not so godd for the price"

to have a stable connexion far away a C.O videotron is perfect. their network is well load-balanced and the speed it's slower in rush time.

member for 10.1 years, 478 visits, last login: 4.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by DrugSkill See Profile

• Location: Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu,QC
Good "Still possible to have virtually no cap"
Bad "But at a high price"
Overall "Do we realy have a choice? Review or not, we're stuck with this kind of **** in America"

Still possible to have virtually no cap via the HighSpeed 7mbit tier which have a 50$ overcharge cap on the 20gig down 10gig up cap, ironic is'nt it? Reliable speed...maybe...that was considered good speed worldwide 2-3 years from now, now it's obsolete, but you can't really have better in America, let's face it. That's why they keep abusing too. And that's why I keep abusing their only tier which have 'virtually' no cap with an average of 500gig down 250gig up per month. That's a 2 way game, I suck the more juice I can since the day there is no more free-of-cap service I will unsubscribe completely from any internet service at all (since it sucks all over Canada...ummm America). Thinking about moving to France or Japan where they have descent services. By the way, I'm not really complaining. It's just that Videotron is a telecom giant and is capable of offering way better product than they are right now. It's sad to see a slow down in evolution in the name of more profit. I don't have the numbers, but I'm sure it's already huge, why stop innovation. Here is a link to the HighSpeed tier page for more information: »www.videotron.com/services/fr/in···-ihv.jsp

It's expensive, but grab it while it still stands. With all the third party ISPs being throttled by Bell, there is'nt much choice.

Comments:

Review by desigi See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Fast, reliable, not throttled (as of yet)"
Bad "Very expensive, high surcharge for exceeding download limits."
Overall "Fast, reliable connection for a rediculous price."

There has been a big issue with Videotron and the way that they modified their Extreme High Speed package. Originally not having a cap on bandwidth usage they decided to cap it at 50G per month but didn't change their advertising campaigns and didn't allow you to cancel your subscription without fees because of the change. For this reason I will never subscribe to any of their services again.

Comments:

Review by tybeet2 See Profile

• Location: Sherbrooke,QC
Good "speed"
Bad "cost, bait & switch tactics, new contract terms of limited bandwidth"
Overall "unless you want to support the abuse of power and unethical business practices - AVOID THEM"

Just try and follow the illogical, unethical business practices they use:

I signed a 12 contract in June of 2007 for their Extreme High Speed Internet package. At the time, the package had unlimited access. Videotron then decides in December to re-negotiate terms of the contract, they claim to have "sent out letters" which many people including myself never received informing them of the changes. They then took my lack of cancellation as agreement to these terms.

I use the internet for a great deal of things, including torrenting, and I consider myself a very active member of some very active sites, so my usage was ~300GB (Upload/Download combined). This, of course, incurred hundreds of dollars in overcharges because the new terms have a limit of 100GB Upload/Download combined, with $1.5 for every GB additional.

I didn't realize I was paying more than I should have until late February because they coerced me into "automatic payments" by credit card with a discount on the modem. It then wasn't until March that I began to keep my bandwidth in check, but by now it's much too late. I'm a poor college student who already has debt from tuition in the thousands - I cannot afford to pay the $1295 in overcharges that I've incurred from these bait and switch business practices. I can only hope the class action lawsuit in the works by a separate consumer rights group actually makes headway, otherwise I'll be practically starving for the next year.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND SUPPORTING THIS KIND OF BUSINESS

And if that doesn't convince you, then maybe the 50GB Upload + 50GB Download limit will. It's an absolutely ridiculous limit that would be exceeded even without torrenting. Consider the YouTube fanatic who is also an avid online gamer. The bandwidth used by these casual services, even, would exceed the limit in a month without question!

Comments:

Review by qcmart See Profile

• Location: Saint-Jerome,QC
Good "La vitesse sur internet"
Bad "Prix qui augmente constamment"
Overall "Recommandé"

Le service de Vidéotron est fiable. La vitesse du réseau internet est excellente.

Le téléphone Ip est stable, par contre, j'ai parfois encore de l'écho dans les conversations, le phénomène perdure depuis plus d'un an. Mon voisin a le même problème, au diable les foutaises du genre "ton téléphone est de mauvaise qualité OU t'as un problème de filage". La parenté a vu le problème se résorber à Montréal après une année d'abonnement. Il y a quelque chose à ajuster chez Vidéotron pour le téléphone IP, ils sont certainement au courant!

La télé numérique est bonne, par contre, mon terminal a des difficultés d'enregistrement (contrôleur du disque dur), je n'ai pas le goût d'investir pour un autre terminal. Lorsqu'il rendra l'âme, je n'en rachèterai pas un. J'espère que le SAC sera en mesure de me faire un rabais, sinon, j'irai du côté de BEV à cause de leur promo (winback).

Pour la télé HD, PBS est formidable. Seulement, pour les canaux supplémentaires, 5.99 par mois est facturé sur votre compte.

LaTélé Payante diffuse en HD au 701, ce serait une idée géniale si on ajoutai Sé2, 3 et 4. De plus, serait-il possible d'ajouter une section HD à Super Écran sur demande?

Pour terminer, je recommande l'abonnement à Vidéotron. J'attends des améliorations chez TVA HD et TQS HD qui ne diffusent pratiquement jamais en HD. Et je me demande, pourquoi avoir investi dans VOXHD... Je suis décu de ce choix!