Videotron page on DSLReports

Review by qcmart See Profile

• Location: Saint-Jerome,QC
Good "La vitesse sur internet"
Bad "Prix qui augmente constamment"
Overall "Recommandé"

Le service de Vidéotron est fiable. La vitesse du réseau internet est excellente.

Le téléphone Ip est stable, par contre, j'ai parfois encore de l'écho dans les conversations, le phénomène perdure depuis plus d'un an. Mon voisin a le même problème, au diable les foutaises du genre "ton téléphone est de mauvaise qualité OU t'as un problème de filage". La parenté a vu le problème se résorber à Montréal après une année d'abonnement. Il y a quelque chose à ajuster chez Vidéotron pour le téléphone IP, ils sont certainement au courant!

La télé numérique est bonne, par contre, mon terminal a des difficultés d'enregistrement (contrôleur du disque dur), je n'ai pas le goût d'investir pour un autre terminal. Lorsqu'il rendra l'âme, je n'en rachèterai pas un. J'espère que le SAC sera en mesure de me faire un rabais, sinon, j'irai du côté de BEV à cause de leur promo (winback).

Pour la télé HD, PBS est formidable. Seulement, pour les canaux supplémentaires, 5.99 par mois est facturé sur votre compte.

LaTélé Payante diffuse en HD au 701, ce serait une idée géniale si on ajoutai Sé2, 3 et 4. De plus, serait-il possible d'ajouter une section HD à Super Écran sur demande?

Pour terminer, je recommande l'abonnement à Vidéotron. J'attends des améliorations chez TVA HD et TQS HD qui ne diffusent pratiquement jamais en HD. Et je me demande, pourquoi avoir investi dans VOXHD... Je suis décu de ce choix!

Comments:

Review by adisor19 See Profile

• Location: Brossard,QC
Good "Consistant speeds are always as advertised."
Bad "EXPENSIVE, RIDICULOUS CAPS, slow upload and now the extrme tier has a 100GB cap ! WORTHLESS CUSTOMER SERVICE !"
Overall "EXPENSIVE FOR WHAT YOU PAY. NO LONGER UNLIMITED FOR THE EXTREME TIER. WORST VALUE FOR $. LOOK ELSEWHERE !"

UPDATE March 27 2008 : Woke up this morning only to find my phone line DEAD and no internet access. Called Videotron with my cell only to be told the IDIOT CSR i spoke with on February 27 when i asked to cancel my account, put the cancellation date for TODAY the 27th of March instead of the 7th of April as i asked her to !!! WOW PURE INCOMPETENCE ON VIDEOTRON's PART. I told the CSR to restore my services just as they were until the end of my contract on the 7th of April. Checked my line and in 1 hour everything was back. I still can't believe the level of incompetence and arrogance this company has at least for their CONSUMER services. AVOID AT ALL COSTS !

UPDATE March 1st - 2008: Received my letter of contract renewal for the telephone service. Called in and asked to cancel all my services on the renewal date. Got transfered to retentions. I pleaded my case and asked that i be offered my initial EXTREME tier with fully unlimited transfers. The retentions person said that was no longer available and so she was unable to to keep me with Videotron. All services are cancelled as of April 7th 2008. GOOD RIDDANCE ! If ever they will start offering unlimited transfer tiers again, i will reconsider them, but right now, I'm happy i got rid of them after all the crap they've been pouring on their customers since last year.

UPDATE December 2 - 2007 : Starting with December 11 2007, people that are not on a contract (like me), get their 30$ of maximum overcharge for the high speed tier increased to 50$. This is becoming ridiculous !!! I hate this company and i can't wait until my phone contract with them expires in February in order to get rid of them with no penalty.

UPDATE October 19 - 2007 : People are reporting a 1$ a month increase for the telephone service. They are not imposing this in the middle of the contract but rather at renewal time. As soon as my contract is up i'll be dumping them asap.

UPDATE : September 15 - 2007 : Starting OCTOBER 2007, the EXTREME tier will get a 100GB cap for the same price. This is a total rip off and a total disregard to current customers already on a contract. I will cancel my service and stop recommending Videotron to anybody as this is unacceptable.

-------------

I'm on the extreme tier for about 6 months now and i can only praise the constant speed and quality of service. Really consistent speeds during any time of the day. Love the fact that it truly is an UNLIMITED connection. I've been bittorrenting night and day for months sometimes with downloads of 70GB per month and similar uploads with no problem. I have NEVER received a call from them or a letter warning me of excessive data usage.The only problem is that it's a bit expensive.

Adi

Comments:

Review by cwt23 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Speed and reliability"
Bad "Stingy bandwidth"
Overall "Pricey for what you get"

I've been a Videotron "High Speed" customer since they first offered in my area and was pleased with the speed and reliability. However they have not kept up with the times and do not offer enough bandwidth to take advantage of the speed. If you go over the limit, they sock it to you for $7.95 a gig for a max of $50 extra per month!!! Their "Extreme High Speed" package used to be unlimited but for about $70 a month, you now only get 100g combined up and down. Plus they have been increasing the prices on everything lately then send you a form letter telling you to be happy because you're getting the best product,

I got fed up and switched to Montreal-DSL (reseller for Teksavvy). For $31.45(tx incl.) I get combined 200g upload/download and there is an unlimited package for $10 more. I bought the modem for $69 at Micro-bytes plus $5 for a filter for each phone and now I am surfing non-stop. No contract, no hassle, connection in 5 business days. Bye, bye Videotron!!!

Comments:

Review by j3richo See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "good speeds"
Bad "insanely low data caps, very high price for extra bandwidth"
Overall "you'll never get anything more than the absolute minimum they can get away with, no such thing as value for your money."

Unless all you do all month is check your email, avoid Videotron. Their plans have horrible data caps, I'm currently paying 40$+ for 20 GIGS a month!! and they charge 8$ per extra gig! The worst part is that their plans get worse over time! instead of increasing their caps, they're now lower than they used to be. There is no value here, only ripoffs, I suggest you find a small DSL re-seller and stick with them.

Comments:

Review by Flogator See Profile

• Location: Cantley,QC
Good "The Internet speed is good and the connection is reliable"
Bad "The technical support is terrible"
Overall "If you don't run into technical or billing problems, Videotron is great."

Since March 2007, I have terminated my subscription with Videotron. The service was great, the Internet access was great but they keep increasing their monthly fee every year. This time around I said enough. Why would I pay 57$/month if I can get a 20$/month service on DSL? Ok, throughput could be an answer. In the end, I was getting a throughput of 6.5Mbps/700Kbps with them which was great. With the DSL provider I now use, I only get 2.5Mbps/700Kbps (that's because I live in the country).

The truth is I wanted to try something else. With 37$/month saving, I think it is worth it. In a year from now, nothing prevent me from switching back if I'm not happy.

You may read my review on the other ISP I am using. Meanwhile, I have chosen to keep my original Videotron review after updating the monthly fee.

========== ORIGINAL REVIEW ==========

Over the past 9 months, Videotron has provided me with excellent throughput. The upload speed even got upgraded from 180Kbps to 350Kbps with no extra charge. I am living in the country, using a Linksys router and am very pleased with my Internet access. Videotron currently provides me high speed Internet (3100kbps downstream and 350Kbps upstream) through dynamic IP cable modem.

I had a few glitches with their customer support which got finally resolved at the beginning of Summer 2003. Their technical support seems to have improved since the begging of the Summer as I tried contacting them miscellaneous information which they provided me with. They no longer hang up if I mention I am using a router which is a good thing.

The only real technical issues I got with them is with their email servers. In some occasions, the email arrival or departure could be delayed up to 24h or worst sometimes simply losing them. Thankfully, this did not happened too regularly so I guess I can live with it.

Bottom line, the actual internet solution is great, the technical support is in improvement stage, the customer service (for billing for example) is nice. My statement is if you are knowledgable about networking (thus don't need too much technical support) and you are willing to follow closely your Internet bills, then Videotron provides a very good solution.

Comments:

Review by adrianchov See Profile

• Location: Deux-Montagnes,QC
Good "99.9 % Uptime, The speeds match the offered ones"
Bad "100 GB Limit, Expensive for the services, Blocked ports"
Overall "Very good ISP if you want an excellent uptime and speed"

I was very pleased with the ISP. There was no limit, excellent speed and uptime. After an year, they changed my service to 100 GB limit. I was a little nervous, but I get used to it (didn't download so much to pass my limit After 2 months, when the limit began to take place, they blocked the incoming traffic to port 80 and port 21 used for HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol) and FTP (File Transfer Protocol) and my website got useless. The value for the money decreased. I don't like ISPs that change their contract. I didn't called the tech support yet, so I put a rating of 5 for that

For conclusion, I think that this is an excellent ISP for those who don't download many things from the Internet and run websites on their computer. The most important for me is that the connection is always up for the 2 years I'm with this ISP.

Comments:

Review by BigImp See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "When things work they work really well"
Bad "Rude staff, deceptive/dirty business tactics, very expensive, unrealistic bandwidth caps"
Overall "Avoid this ISP at all costs. ANY other ISP is better than this one."

I've been with Videotron for several years, and I've been close to canceling on several occasions, but the last straw was imposing bandwidth caps on an already expensive service, without so much as a phone call to confirm with their customers, who could suddenly need to pay as much as $4000 a month.

Videotron's strength is that their service works great most of the time, but when things go wrong and you need to call them, it's like temporarily dying and going to hell. Other than extremely long wait times and the fact that they repeatedly put you on hold, they also constantly lie, twist truths and add charges. And whenever you need to discuss a charge you shouldn't be paying for, somehow no one at the company can help you. They tell you their hands are tied and that someone needs to call you back within 48 hours. Sometimes someone calls back (and sometimes they don't), but if they do they also tell you that they can't help you, and that they'd get someone else to call you. There was a day a few years ago when I literally spent 5 hours on the phone with them, being constantly transferred from one person to another, having to repeat the entire story again and again, and at the end still got absolutely nothing resolved.

Maybe 20% of the people who work there are polite, then there are about 20% who just do the bare minimum to communicate with you, but the vast majority are literally RUDE. I've been hung up on, I've had people use condescending tones/expressions and I've even been insulted on a couple of occasions.

One day I even did a quick test. I called from my cell phone (which is in their records), and was on hold for 15 minutes before talking to a rep. Immediately after I dialed from my phone, I also called them from my friend's phone. I was talking to a rep in under a minute! This is how Videotron sees people: Potential new customer? OH WE LOVE YOU! Old paying customer? GO TO HELL AND DIE. And if you don't like it, they'll charge you an arm and a leg to cancel.

The last time I almost left them, 2-3 years ago, it started with me calling to change my channels, and the guy who answered got angry that I didn't speak french, said "Learn french tabarnac" and just hung up on me. I called again, complained about it, and changed my channels. Two weeks later, I was suddenly disconnected. When I called, they said that I hadn't paid my bill. I told them that I was on pre-authorized payments with my VISA, to which they said that VISA called them to tell them that I was using a stolen credit card (mind you, I had been paying them with it for 3 years). I talked to VISA, and they said that my card was fine and that there were absolutely no such reports. So I called Videotron again and told them this, and they said that I had to get VISA to call them. Of course this proved to be impossible (what kind of stupid idea is that?). After at least 10 hours of talking to different people, many of whom were quite rude and treated me like some sort of criminal. They wouldn't even let me pay with another credit card, because they said that it was probably stolen too. I finally gave up and just started paying them through online banking. To this day I wish I had just canceled my account right then and there.

Even canceling the service was a major pain. Three different people told me that they had done it, but it wasn't done. I had to call repeatedly over the period of a week to finally get it canceled. They tried adding 2 months of service to my bill, and again kept lying.

Anyway, please do yourself a favor and AVOID VIDEOTRON AT ALL COSTS. I hope they lose all their customers, go bankrupt and I hope their rude staff lose their jobs and starve to death. I've never, ever, in any city I've lived in, paid a company $100 a month only to be treated like trash all the time. The bills the last few months were close to $250 each due to the bandwidth charges, by the way.

I've very recently started with b2b2c.ca (after reading many glowing reviews here), and so far I've been VERY happy with everything they've done. They're polite, helpful and they call to follow up even when they don't have to. I'll write a positive review for them in a month or two if they keep it up, but if you're looking to switch from Videotron they offer a faster and reliable service at a fraction of Videotron's prices, and more importantly they respect and value you as their customer. What a concept!

Comments:

Review by Jean_22 See Profile

• Location: Quebec,QC
Good "Speed, price (combos), stability"
Bad "20GB CAP!!!!"
Overall "Good if you don't need to download a lot."

We currently have the high speed for $38 a month with the "Trio" plan. The price is good, the speed is good (can reach 750kB/s direct download). The service has usually been good but something has really became annoying in the last few years.
THE 20GB DOWNLOAD CAP!!!!
They began by boosting a bit at the same time as the download speed, wich is now 7.1mbps. However, they stopped it at 20GB. This is clearly a "you wanna download? then pay for EXTREME!!!!" 20GB cap for an high speed internet is completly unthinkable in 2008.
Game demos? 1.5GB each
MMO trials? 6GB
Game patches? 150MB-2GB
Windows patches? 400MB a month
Windows service packs? 800MB
A 5 minutes video on youtube? 25MB
Wanna try a linux distro? 4GB

20GB is now REALLY LOW for enthousiasts users. The basic service is even worst, 1GB download cap!!!! They will all bust it out with the soon to come release of XP SP3 and Vista SP1!!!!

It can be good for lots of people but if you have children between 11-20, forget abouti t, the first thing you will see is a $20 penalty at the ned of the month

Comments:

Review by InvalidError See Profile

• Location: Saint-Leonard,QC
Good "Fast, reliable"
Bad "Expensive, low caps"
Overall "Good if you value speed and reliability much more than reasonable caps and pricing"

Over the decade I have been on Videotron HS, the service has had a nearly perfect track record apart from their early ('97-98) network's vulnerability to trivial DoS attacks, sabotage during the strikes, bad wiring and dying modems.

When I moved in 2006, the contractor who did the install could not be bothered to run a separate cable for the modem. Months later, I started having signal issues and had to have a tech come and re-do the install. When that tech came, he told me that whoever did the initial install did not bother to check the connectors and cable: the exterior cables were damaged/rotten and many connectors had mold in them. The new cables did not completely fix the signal issues: the bad initial wiring job had apparently damaged my good old SB5100. Another tech came to give me a refurb rental WebStar which soon proved to be defective so I had to have yet another tech bring yet another modem, this time a fresh SB5100 which worked fine for the remainder of my contract.

In the early days, tech support was quite decent but went down with each passing year. On the plus side, my last few calls prior to canceling service (see modem failures above) have shown that tech support appears to be slowly climbing back to decent levels.

However, as a long-time moderate bandwidth user whose usage grew to fill any cap increases within months of Videotron announcing them, I have finally grown weary of Videotron HS low caps, particularly now that it has been so many years since the last upgrade. When Videotron announced Extreme's now 100GB cap and Extreme subscribers started complaining all over the place, I started shopping around to see how this compared to what else is available and soon realized that if I could put up with ADSL's few shortcomings, I could trade some speed and latency for much higher caps (or even unlimited) and lower price.

When I received the $2 increase letter and was told there would be no cap increases or any other service upgrades in the near future, I decided to proceed with cancellation (end of contract) and ordering ADSL. I would have been happy for at least another year with +10/+10 GB (easily covered by the $2 increase) but now that my ADSL is up and delivering performance on par with my most optimistic guesstimates, it will take a lot more than that for Videotron to win me back.

When I cancelled, I made it clear I was cancelling because the 20/10GB caps and $8/GB overage (highest in the industry) no longer met my expectations from a $40/month service yet they still offered upgrades to Extreme and cut-rate HS. I laughed it out for a few seconds before declining their various offers until they finally asked me if I still wanted to proceed with cancellation. I thanked them for their offers, explained that none of them addressed both the low caps and overpriced-for-my-taste issues at once and told them I still wanted to cancel. The whole process - including the fidelity offers that failed to address my concerns - took about 10 minutes.

I used to wonder what I was going to be doing with 100GB/month but with TSI's Premium cap upgrade to 200GB/month, I can take a break from bandwidth planning for the foreseeable future.

Comments:

Review by dan69man See Profile

• Location: Laval,QC
Good "reliable connection"
Bad "speeds not consistant"
Overall "happy with the service"

videotron voip works well too