Videotron page on DSLReports

Good "Good speed"
Bad "Price..."
Overall "-"

Good service, bad price

Comments:

Review by TigerLord See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Fast and reliable high speed connection"
Bad "Lower value for money as they keep raising fees and prices"
Overall "Fast and reliable but shows a total disregard to coherent quality offerings"

Vidéotron is no doubt a reliable ISP - I have experienced very few downtimes. My experience with their technical support staff has been brief but pleasant - I have not encountered idiots or fools that resemble Bell's standards of a call center, yet.

I get constant and reliable speed with good pings on US and Canadian servers. It is only extremely sad that Vidéotron is the only competitor Bell has - a pathetic exscuse for a company. Therefore Videotron has felt no real needs to maintain acceptable business practices, and judges appropriate to lower the quality of a service without adjusting its price - I am talking here of the change they recently brought to their Extreme tier service.

Formerly unlimited in bandwith, it offered a true 10/1mbit connection for the price of 80$ (tx included) per month. Not cheap - but an exclusive and reliable premium service for those who could afford it. For the supposed good of the network, a letter was sent to inform the customer base a 100GB combined cap would be enforced starting October 1st 2007.

While I believe those who do 800GB per month should be punished, putting a ridiculously low 100GB cap for such a high speed connection, without even offering monetary compensation by lowering the tier fee is simply unethical, and shows a total disregard to customer respect. To expect customers to pay the same for an inferior product than it was is simply unimaginable.

However, as I have said, their only competitor, does much worse in this area, therefore the need to uphold their standards is not required. Let's hope Vidéotron will not start throttling or shaping on top of other recent changes - they would then join the circle of idiotic supremacy. Such a shame that would be.

Now that they raised the 30$ ceiling overcharge to 40$, their offerings are less and less tempting, and I'm seriously considering dumping all my services with them at contract renewal and go with 3rd party companies just for the heck of it.

member for 12.2 years, 6348 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by crappyisp See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "None. There is NOTHING good about Videotron."
Bad "Everything. Customer service, crooked year-long contract, monitoring usage. Everything is bad about this company!"
Overall "THE worst internet provider on the planet."

This is the ONLY internet provider I know of that pretty much forces you to take a year long contract. If you try the service and don't like it, you're stuck. EVEN if you move to the other side of the world, you are STUCK with Videotron. You are penalized for bailing from this incredibly bad, sorry excuse of a cable company.

Why should we have to monitor usage? I'd NEVER heard of that until I moved to Quebec. That's insane.

Support [choke!] staff are rude and smarmy. They BLAME the customers ALL the time.

The people of Quebec have NO clue how bad this company is, because they don't have much to compare it to. Videotron has pretty much monopolized the entire province. If you look around and compare Videotron to other major players in Canada and the USA, you'll see how you are being taken to the cleaners - nickel and dimed every which way.

Comments:

Review by igbgrant See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "fastest internet in canada, reliable, consistent"
Bad "no longer unlimited for Extreme, unlimited option still available at <10Mbps"
Overall "Videotron is a great service provider, best in Canada"

Top end service is far faster than DSL option; technical support is good, and they even support Macs!

Comments:

Review by Sansnom See Profile

• Location: Saint-Lambert,QC
Good "Very fast and reliable connection, Speeds as advertised"
Bad "Expensive a little bit and stupid quotas of transfers"
Overall "Still, the best option available if you don't want a slow DSL"

Nothing more to say.

Comments:

Review by MAT777 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Very reliable, good tehcsupport."
Bad "Expensive, low cap."
Overall "Better than other cable ISP"

Videotron is a monopolistic corporation and they are quite lame when it come to price and cap.

But:

The installation took one day and was free. The modem was also free.
The speed is excelent and pings are good,
Techsupport is very good even if most tech don't know anything about computers.
Price is the same as other ISP for the first year, then 120$ more each year with videotron.

EDIT: If not paying with credit card, Vidéotron double charge the first month. This mean you pay one month in advance, this also mean that if you stay forever with them, you never see this money again. They don't tell you this when you take the order.

member for 12.5 years, 505 visits, last login: 6.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by hansning See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "excellent connection reliability, generally speed as well"
Bad "changed the contract to a limited contract from an unlimited one"
Overall "need an expensive business account for unlimited"

fast and reliable, especially over bell DSL in Montreal. The premium for that is ridiculous tho

Comments:

Review by bouchecl See Profile

• Location: Quebec,QC
Good "Stable, fast internet access."
Bad "some outbound ports are blocked, small quotas"
Overall "Stable and reliable connexion, small quotas"

Videotron used to have a lousy reputation as an ISP­. A long strike at this cable operator in 2002 caused many outages and problems with mail and news forwarding.

Since the end of the strike, the situation improved greatly and it is fair to say that Videotron has reclaimed its position as a top-tier ISP in the Quebec market. If you're looking for a stable, no-frills access to the net, Videotron is what you're looking for.

The up time is impressive (one or two 15-minute outages in a year); the quotas (20 GB down and 10 GB up per month for the regular package; unlimited up and down for the premium service) are quite reasonable and the advertised speeds are relatively close to my own speed test results.

Videotron also recently added a web-based access to their e-mail, which was long awaited by customers.

Although I did not have many problems with my Internet connection in the last year, I found the customer service reps I talked to to be friendly and competent. For specialized support, there is a fairly active group discussing Videotron on this site. The group includes users and at least one Videotron employee, who is generous enough to give his time to answer further enquiries.

On the less positive side, some outbound ports (notably port 25 and 80) are blocked and the service agreement specifically prohibits servers on their customers machines.

Overall, Videotron has a top-notch product, and I'm happy to recommend them to my friends.

UPDATE: Videotron's Internet service still performs beautifully. After over two years with them, I rate them highly for reliability, services and value for money. I also had to use their tech support when I've switched to their VoIP services and was pleasantly surprised by their willingness to go the extra mile to improve my cable signal. The technician changed over 50' of cable from the street to my tap, no questions asked. On the minus side, the ISP now asks all its customers to use the company's SMTP server for all outgoing mail, as part of their anti-spam strategy. It's a PITA for many people.

UPDATE 2 (2007): Bandwidth quotas have not been increased for the last 4.5 years I've been a subscriber. Vidéotron's service is less competitive than it was a couple years ago; since then some other ISPs offer more realistic bandwidth allocations than this providers' 20 GB down/10 GB up.

member for 9.9 years, 1459 visits, last login: 4.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by under_fire See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "reliable internet"
Bad "phone interruptions, customer service, high price of internet"
Overall "high speed extreme+phone 5 options ----> too expensive$$$ + bad customer service"

after been 5 years with videotron , I decided to not renew my contract with them. at the beginning the service was excellent but since this year, I got so many problems & I wasted my time calling the support centre. at that time (02-05)their technicians offered an excellent service and was a good model for other ISPs in the province of Quebec...now they are so BAD,UNPOLITE & VERY RUDE that I can't imagine how they can hire these people to give customers a good service ...my 3 last calls were so disappointing; one was a spoken french woman ended the call when I asked for her name to complaint her bad service; the last tech just yells on me because I asked for an english service...

about the price, too expensive and limited on dwls & upds.

I suggest everyone who had bad experience with Videotron to end their contract & go with Acanac.ca

Comments:

Review by Tequila68 See Profile

• Location: Sherbrooke,QC
Good "Reliability, speed, customer service/tech support"
Bad "Price"
Overall "only option for unlimited cable internet in my region"

I was with Videotron Extreme High Speed, for around 3 years, until I got the dreaded letter stating that the unlimited service would be capped. I tried dsl with Teksavvy, but my download speed was around 90KB/s!! I was used to over 1000 KB/s on cable. So, clearly dsl was not an option. I had read in the dslreports forums about people transfering over to the business internet. I still had all the equipment from the residential service so I tried. I took the 3 year contract because I got 5 months free with it. The above monthly cost also includes business phone, which is only $15. The most surprising aspect was that of the service. Both customer, and tech services respond to phone calls within a minute. A lot different than the residential.

By the way my package is the business high-speed internet (7 Mbps up, 820 Kbps down). I find I am paying about the same as I did with the residential extreme high-speed (10 Mbps up, 900 Kbps down) . I lose speed, but I still get an unlimited package.

member for 12.4 years, 107 visits, last login: 6.1 years ago