Videotron page on DSLReports

Review by lightcrew See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Quick and easy installation"
Bad "Upload Speed"
Overall "Good value for your money"

Less then 48 hours after ordering, the technician came by and installed the cablemodem ( Motorola/Surfboard SB4100 ) via the USB port.

It took him less then 10 minutes before the modem was up and running.

I must say that 65% of the time the connection is great : fast page-loads and downloads. And with Napster I came twice to a speed of 375 k/s. Playing games online is no problem. But the average download speed is about 40 k/s.

But the other 35% of the time, it seems even slower than a 56k modem ! Downloading files at 8 k/s, pages that wont load etc. And when it is slow, it is slow for about 2 hours !

I called the technical support. They seem to know where they're talking about. They suggested that during slow times, I make logs using Cyberkit. I will do that, hoping their technicians really do something with that information.

Can't wait to surf with 375 k/s continuously...

Well, I've got the cablemodem for 2 weeks now and everything's ok.
The average speed went up to about 200 k/s, not bad at all.
Just my computer freezes more often now, sometimes every 15 minutes.
I uninstalled lots of software but it doesn't seem to help... I'm sure it's not
a virus...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----
6 weeks now... it's pretty smooth. Just the 15 k/s upload limit annoys me.
And the download limit of 2 GB/month... whose idea was that ?
Anyway, they haven't found a download-measuring-tool yet.
4 months now... The once so fast and reliable connection is now slowing
down. In an email sent on September 9 they say that they're aware of
the slowdown and are trying to fix the problem. No results so far. I'm
getting anoyed... the speed test today shoed 457 downspeed..grrr !

member for 13.2 years, 287 visits, last login: 7.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by Corporal Dan See Profile

• Location: Brossard,QC
Good "Acceptable mail/news..."
Bad "Pathetically low speed anytime but 4:00am, the worst technical support ever, Unstable, BS billing, 6gB DL limit"
Overall "Avoid Videotron cable at all costs."

»groups.yahoo.com/group/videotronsucks

I am paying for 2.8mbit down/120kbit up. Modem is rented.

Speeds used to be good a few months back. Now, speeds are pathetically bad.

At any time before and after 2:00am-4:00am, speeds range between 4kbps-230kbps. Yes, that's Bits, not Bytes. When contactiong the tech support, they brushed me off and told me it would be fixed soon... hasn't happened.

Pings are sh1tty. I'm pinging 400ms+ on any quake server during normal hours, and 900ms+ at peak hours. Packet loss is equally unacceptable ranging from 10-35%. Any and all forms of online gaming are unplayable.

Webpages load about as fast as on my old 33.6, downloads are at a maximum of ~12kBps.

ALL customers are guaranteed 100kBps download speed on the videotron ftp site... Needless to say that's not the case. I have never hit higher than 25.

When asked about this, videotron techs actually got abusive and told me to quit if i didn't like it. Then, they hung up. Bastards.

To make a long story short, NEVER EVER sign up with videotron. They are simply the worst ISP i have ever used.

If you are a videotron user even slightly dissatisfied with the service, join our group! We want to hear from you!

»groups.yahoo.com/group/videotronsucks

---

PS: Note that the videotron cable network is still getting portscans from Codered... And it's internal.

Comments:

Review by jackzod See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "cheap, once was reliable..."
Bad "no more reliabilty, latency problem, astronomic ping"
Overall "if you plan to surf before 6 pm or after 12 30 am thi is the one for you, dont even think of fps online game"

Well I use to love my videotron cable, but now i must say they blew it.
The connection is unreliable, the speed is slower than a 56k on peak hours...
They do not reply to their e-mail on this subject (i guess they have nothing to add).
Its sad because it used to be fast and reliable, i guess as more and more user gets in, their capacity is overloaded, at least this is true for montreal area.

Comments:

Review by manilaice See Profile

• Location: analogavenue
Good "Fast. Remarkably. Currently rated as #4 in the DSLR community. Cheap. Widely Available."
Bad "Unreliable connection, frequent timeouts (although I have a tester modem, non-standard to clients)"
Overall "Good value, although disappointing due to the restrictions (data cap/speed cap), especially in such a reportedly high-tech city."

Ordering Videotron had to be one of the riskiest moves I had made. I had heard about their speed caps, their data limits, and their basic fear of the anglophone population of Montreal. But after discovering that the land lines running around my area were too old to support DSL, Videtron was my last resort. So I questioned even getting any broadband at all.

But I did, and they showed up at my door promptly, within the week which meant less than a 5 day wait for installation. Besides running cable through the apartment and putting the uplink somewhere along the line, the serviceman did little else. A quick installation on a Sunday morning, at that!

Imagine my surprise to find out I have a tester modem. Instead of getting the usual Motorola Surfboards prescribed to people in the downtown core of Montreal, I found sitting on my desk a Scientific Atlanta WebSTAR DPX110. This unit has similar if not better specifications to the Ericsson tester modems they currently use for the Rogers@Home service in the Greater Toronto Area (c.Sept '01)

Be forewarned though, caveats are abound. The reported speed caps ARE in place, as my speeds do nothing close to the theoretical of either cable, or the modem itself. I would provide a number here, but I've heard so much variance from both official and non-official sources that it would simply be misleading. There is also a monthly data transfer cap, which is 6gb down and 1gb up. Luckily, there is no way to track this using my tester modem, although those with the usual Motorolas may want to be prudent with the bandwidth.

Overall, after tweaking, I'm thoroughly impressed. Why do I give it an average rating though? The service and the complete Videotron package is nothing to be impressed about at all. They are mediocre at best, but something about them just makes me satisfied. It might simply be the relief I get from finally getting a stable connection, or the mere fact that it's only 30 dollars in Canadian currency to get an incredible transfer rate. I've been known to travel and I know that across the border, and even overseas, this is an incredibly cheap price for almost premium service.

Auxilliary information: Subsidized rates are available through the Quebec government, you may be required to actually BUY a cable modem which will up your cost significantly, but spanned over a year, it should still not exceed 40 dollars a month.

member for 13.1 years, 1410 visits, last login: 5.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by quebecsurfer See Profile

• Location: Ontario
Good "quick easy install, good custumer support, stable speed"
Bad "slow to repair network problem, sales representative ill informed"
Overall "great value for speed"

I ordered service from an independant representative on June 3 and installation was to take place in 2 weeks. The representative was ill informed, and did not give accurate information. This was cleared up in later phone calls (there is a possibility of a language problem, i am english, and the sales rep only spoke french, so the sales pitch was done in french)

Install took place in only 5 days Cables laid, computer configured, and online in 10 minutes...speeds of 100 k/s download promised... up to 400 k/s delivered.

Technical support very well informed and helpful, with bilingual support staff...on July 6 the connection was interrupted. A technician was sent out the next business day, and a work around was put in place. For one more week i had unstable but workable service until the problem was permanently solved (knock on wood!) on July 16. A technical support staff member phoned me personally after the repair was made to explain to me the nature of the problem, and to confirm what he saw from his end... that my modem was sending and receiving, and also he gave me information to maximize my performance.

The install was free, with a technicians visit.

The modem is $126 Can to rent for 12 months, and $169 to buy (motorola sb4100 usb modem, $227 us to buy from an online store)

The service is 3.2Mb down, 128Kb up for $29 can a month

I am very pleased with the service in general, i am hoping the connection problem was just a glitch.

Aug 3...

connection problem seemed fixed, but in the last week or so, my connection speed dropped from 3200 to about 1400

I was almost at the point of making a complaint, when the connection cut out briefly this morning, for about an hour or so... after which the speed shot up again in excess of 3500

I am assuming that the speed problem was fixed during the outage (at 5am ) and continue to be pleased with their service

ping times are also very good... to sites within north america usually under 50, average about 30

I think with more dsl choices in the Qu bec city area, vid otron is aware it must keep performance up, and so far I am pleased with their efforts...btw for tweaking, i have found with my connection and latency, that a rwin of 51100 is optimum, if that helps any in the same isp and area as I

Comments:

Review by RogueNine See Profile

• Location: Dollard-Des-Ormeaux,QC
Good "Good download speeds"
Bad "Completely erratic ping in games"
Overall "Great for downloads, but for gaming it has been dissapointing."

Things were great when i first got cable over a year ago. Since then however their service has gone to hell. My ping in UT used to be a nice consistant 50-200 (depend on the server) Now it can go anywhere from 100 to 2000. It jumps all over the map. The worst part is that I sent in an E-mail informing them of this problem over 5 days ago, still no response. Not even an automated "We've recieved your mail and are looking into it." For all I know it got deleted by some bored tech 4 days ago.

As others here have said, when I do tracert tests all my first hops that used to be 10-20ms are now anywhere from 10-100. Thats just shoddy service. If they're not careful they will lose alot of people to DSL. (The route I'm thinking of going.)

Comments:

Review by tenorman26 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Cable is great, not too many outages"
Bad "Customer service sucks, the worst I have ever seen"
Overall "Modem is fast, find your technical support online, learn how to search on your own."

The Videotron newsgroup is kept secret now, only for us customers now with only old archives at Usenet for the former Videotron newsgroup. Anyway, I thought my being an anglo (almost bilingual, not quite there) and new to Quebec had something to do with the treatment I've received but I've heard native Quebecers, whatever their language, receive the same abuse. Examples: technicians arriving on wrong days, hang-ups after waiting hours on the phone, accident?, being rushed on the phone, ignoring some of their contract stipulations (they'll cut your connection if you are late paying, I was late one time, no phone call, e-mail, or snail-mail to negotiate the payment like the contract says, monopoly? Damn straight.). Basically Videotron needs to get organized so the telephone reps can transmit the info to the technicians, wow, what a concept.

Modem is fast, actually faster now since I found this website via the Copernic Pro search engine I use, thanks to the other "SB4100" users with info on tweaking. The technician had to give me this newer modem when I moved so I'm glad and there's no limit on usage, FOR NOW. Of course, the technician didn't tell me that there was no limit, that's how it is, go online and ask someone else or wait an hour on the telephone to speak with a Videotron representative.

Is my modem up to par? On this site (11:00 a.m. EST) I received 734k download and 131k upload. I see many others have faster but I think mine is better than just okay. Let me know in a reply if it should be faster, if you don't mind.

Videotron has a nice product, I hope one day they will hire more staff to answer to the customers rather than laying them off. People are paying a lot of money per month for cable internet and digital t.v. (just got it) and we just want some answers sometimes as opposed to an automated message service that treats us like we're ten years old. If you ever want a laugh and can afford the call, call Videotron's customer service, it is a very good special and when cameras are implemented HBO should air "Videotron & The Customers", it'll be a huge hit and TMN.ca would show it as well.

Pet Peeve-Videotron calls themselves "Untitled Document" on their webpages and some links do not exist.

I heard NetAxis ( I think that's the name) offer cable connection in Montreal but I believe it's a lot more expensive because they have to pay Moronotron. I also believe that Hell Canada (Bell Canada) is worse than Videotron, tell me if I'm wrong.

Good "it's reliable"
Bad "the speed caps, bandwidth caps, tech support"
Overall "i guess when the only 2 hispeed providers here are sympatico and videotron, and sympatico isn't available.. no choice.."

I have had videotron for about 7 months now.

I really hate their upload and download speed caps.
It's actually 15KB/s upload. And download is 1.5Mb/s which would mean...
187.5KB/s.
Not quite 200.

I also really hate their upload and download monthly bandwidth caps.
They give us speed, but no bandwidth to download stuff with it.
1G upload and 6G download is GARBAGE.
I might do that in a DAY.

Their technical support personnel are idiots.
I used to work for iStar, Interlog, PSInet etc.
90% of the people at the company were morons.
It's closer to 98% here.

Obviously, when I tell the technical person that my pings to _every_ server
in Unreal Tournament and _every_ webpage I am visiting is SLOW, I
don't want to hear how it's the server I am visiting that is causing the
problems.
I did tech support long enough to know that it's whatever router/switch that
videotron was using to get my traffic out on the 'net.

But you know, Sympatico is almost as bad.
Same speed limits.
But, they don't have any bandwidth caps.
They have dumb software however.
Which is the lesser of two evils here...?

(review was emailed from domain hrdc-drhc.gc.ca)

Comments:

Review by nachoman415 See Profile

• Location: Hoh 0h0
Good "BLAZING SPEED, reliable connection, DOCSIS modem"
Bad "Slow upload"
Overall "Excellent, reliable service."

Modem Puchase: $159.95 (12-month contract)
Installation: Free with modem purchase (promotion), free installation of cable outlet
Monthly: $29.95
Equipment: Motorola SURFboard Modem
Claimed line speed: 3200/128kbps
Actual line speed: approx. 4800/120kbps
IP: DHCP

AMAZING SERVICE!!!!!!! Much much faster than Sympatico HSE. My line speed is significantly faster than Sympatico, with download speeds in excess of 600kiloBYTES/sec. Upload is constant however, at a slow 15k/s. My IP hasn't changed since the service was installed! Also, my pings are very good. On Napster, I get pings around 14 - 22 most of the time.

Installation was scheduled between 7:30am-12pm, tech arrived at 12:15. Called first to say he would be late, however. Installation was fast and simple, installed new cable outlet and set up my computer. This modem has a built in USB port, eliminating the need for a NIC or USB interface.

Service is reliable, and I haven't experienced ANY downtime. Getting faster speeds than they claim. Little slow-down during peak times; connection never falls below 2500kpbs. Tech support is a joke. You spend hours waiting for NOTHING. Just hope nothing goes wrong!

All in all, it is the best service around Montreal for the money.

Comments:

Review by hman83 See Profile

• Location: Dollard-Des-Ormeaux,QC
Good "Incredibly Fast Downloads for the Price"
Bad "Uploads are really slow for a broadband connection"
Overall "It is the best widely available broadband provider in Montreal"

Excellent download speeds for what you pay (usually around 2.8 Mbits/s if the server is fast enough). Late at night, speed is incredible, usually around 4 Mbit/s though I've hit 5.5 Mbit/s a few times.

Uploads on the other hand are brutal, I never got over 18 kbit/s, so if you're going to be uploading loads of material look elsewhere.

Ping time is good, 82 ms with doctor ping, although a lot of the ones that bring up the average (100 ms and more) are in the south-west coast of the US and I'm in the Eastern part of Canada.

Installation was painless (and free), 2 technicians came and got it working in about an hour: they installed a splitter on my coaxial cable, a realtek (read "cheap-ass") ethernet card in the computer and set up the email. I would have done it myself but hey, you can't argue with free.

Haven't used tech support yet but i hear they're pretty clueless.

Anyways pretty sweet service if its mostly for web browsing and viewing righ-media content especially if you compare it to the cost a similar service would cost in the US

btw i'm using a samsung modem so the 6 gig download / 1 gig upload doesn't affect me