Videotron page on DSLReports

Review by SpeedD3mon See Profile

• Location: Cowansville,QC
Good "Highest speed service available in Quebec (3000/128) Nice modem, no limits. Was installed under a week after I called."
Bad "Tech support sucks. I wish the upload was a bit faster."
Overall "Best we can get"

I called got it installed, the installer was friendly and helpful. Since I've had it i've had no real serious problems or outages. There are a few things I don't like which are bad speeds to certain places out of province, especially out of the country. Their tech support is also not too bright or receiving(won't speak english 50% of the time) but I don't need it that much so it's alright. I also don't like the fact that most of the people who use the service don't post here which makes it kind of hard to relate sometimes. But I'm satisfied with the overall service and speed, it makes me laugh at my old Sympatico HSE line. Apr. 2nd 2002, Videotron's service is degrading, rumours of a strike are also not exactly comforting. I hope things get better soon because my connection has been dropping a lot lately.

member for 12.9 years, 467 visits, last login: 9.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by Mooseman1 See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "Speed, Speed, Speed! (350-450k)"
Bad "Tech service very poor, News (Usenet) servers not updated, upload speed (15k), high latency (pings), 6GB d/l and 1GB u/l limits"
Overall "Very good for anybody downloading lots of stuff but pathetic uploads suck big time!"

I have been with them for 3 years and must say I can't complain about the download speeds. I have an older Motorola CyberSurfer Wave modem and the limits apply to this modem ONLY! Videotron hasn't figured out how to calculate d/l and u/l with DOCSIS modems yet. They say they will but never do.

I have not had that much downtime. Once where it was out for a day but it was the DHCP servers that died. Sometimes one or two hours but they do provide with 5 hours of phone time in case you need to connect urgently. This is also useful for anybody who travels anywhere in Quebec with a laptop.

Their News (Usenet) server has not been updated with new groups for the past 3 years and messages are not kept there for more that 3 days. They are reviewing the possibility of dropping this service althogether. Their e-mail servers have been reliable except when the Internet service itself is down altogether.

Customer service is poor at best. Send an e-mail and you MIGHT get a response within a week. I haven't called them in a while so I can't comment on that.

If your looking for raw download speed, this is it. If upload speeds are important to you, then I suggest you look to DSL.

Good Points: Download Speed, fairly good reliability, e-mail

Bad Points: Upload Speed, customer service, high ping times, News Servers out of date

member for 13.1 years, 11 visits, last login: 10.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by TREMEK See Profile

• Location: Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue,QC
Good "Fast good price"
Bad "Tech Support is bad!!!! wait on the phone for 2hr SLOW UPLOAD!!!!!!!"
Overall "if the upload speed would be better at 256k i would be a very happy client"

member for 13.1 years, 572 visits, last login: 3.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by Mlah3 See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "They messed up and gave me cable for free! 100k/sec average"
Bad "some packet loss"
Overall "A good deal!"

Edit. STILL works, still haven't registered. My parents were supposed to but keep forgetting/they're at work.. lol. I recently discovered a menu on the cable modem by connecting to 192.168.100.1, and everything like logging etc.. seems to be disabled. Does this have anything to do with it? Is there anything else I can use to connect to the cable modem to perhaps configure settings etc? It's a Scientific Atlanta WebSTAR DPX110.

--------------------
I bought a cable modem yesterday, and a NIC today. We didn't call up Videotron and ask them to hook us up or anything though. So I plug in the damn thing and it works! holyshit!!

How is this possible??? I didn't even realize I was connected to the net.. I opened up IE to check some offline stuff and soon discovered I was really online.. hollyshit!

BTW, According to DSLReports:

2001-12-17 17:49:36 Speed test (la) 1434/123 kbps

2001-12-17 18:40:29 Line quality 0% loss latency 73.4ms View

More info:
»monitor.dslreports.com/tweak/blo ··· a=normal

There's a bit of packet loss, but I'm connected through two splitters.

member for 13.5 years, 18 visits, last login: 10.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by lightcrew See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Quick and easy installation"
Bad "Upload Speed"
Overall "Good value for your money"

Less then 48 hours after ordering, the technician came by and installed the cablemodem ( Motorola/Surfboard SB4100 ) via the USB port.

It took him less then 10 minutes before the modem was up and running.

I must say that 65% of the time the connection is great : fast page-loads and downloads. And with Napster I came twice to a speed of 375 k/s. Playing games online is no problem. But the average download speed is about 40 k/s.

But the other 35% of the time, it seems even slower than a 56k modem ! Downloading files at 8 k/s, pages that wont load etc. And when it is slow, it is slow for about 2 hours !

I called the technical support. They seem to know where they're talking about. They suggested that during slow times, I make logs using Cyberkit. I will do that, hoping their technicians really do something with that information.

Can't wait to surf with 375 k/s continuously...

Well, I've got the cablemodem for 2 weeks now and everything's ok.
The average speed went up to about 200 k/s, not bad at all.
Just my computer freezes more often now, sometimes every 15 minutes.
I uninstalled lots of software but it doesn't seem to help... I'm sure it's not
a virus...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----
6 weeks now... it's pretty smooth. Just the 15 k/s upload limit annoys me.
And the download limit of 2 GB/month... whose idea was that ?
Anyway, they haven't found a download-measuring-tool yet.
4 months now... The once so fast and reliable connection is now slowing
down. In an email sent on September 9 they say that they're aware of
the slowdown and are trying to fix the problem. No results so far. I'm
getting anoyed... the speed test today shoed 457 downspeed..grrr !

Comments:

Review by Corporal Dan See Profile

• Location: Brossard,QC
Good "Acceptable mail/news..."
Bad "Pathetically low speed anytime but 4:00am, the worst technical support ever, Unstable, BS billing, 6gB DL limit"
Overall "Avoid Videotron cable at all costs."

»groups.yahoo.com/group/videotron ··· ronsucks

I am paying for 2.8mbit down/120kbit up. Modem is rented.

Speeds used to be good a few months back. Now, speeds are pathetically bad.

At any time before and after 2:00am-4:00am, speeds range between 4kbps-230kbps. Yes, that's Bits, not Bytes. When contactiong the tech support, they brushed me off and told me it would be fixed soon... hasn't happened.

Pings are sh1tty. I'm pinging 400ms+ on any quake server during normal hours, and 900ms+ at peak hours. Packet loss is equally unacceptable ranging from 10-35%. Any and all forms of online gaming are unplayable.

Webpages load about as fast as on my old 33.6, downloads are at a maximum of ~12kBps.

ALL customers are guaranteed 100kBps download speed on the videotron ftp site... Needless to say that's not the case. I have never hit higher than 25.

When asked about this, videotron techs actually got abusive and told me to quit if i didn't like it. Then, they hung up. Bastards.

To make a long story short, NEVER EVER sign up with videotron. They are simply the worst ISP i have ever used.

If you are a videotron user even slightly dissatisfied with the service, join our group! We want to hear from you!

»groups.yahoo.com/group/videotron ··· ronsucks

---

PS: Note that the videotron cable network is still getting portscans from Codered... And it's internal.

Comments:

Review by jackzod See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "cheap, once was reliable..."
Bad "no more reliabilty, latency problem, astronomic ping"
Overall "if you plan to surf before 6 pm or after 12 30 am thi is the one for you, dont even think of fps online game"

Well I use to love my videotron cable, but now i must say they blew it.
The connection is unreliable, the speed is slower than a 56k on peak hours...
They do not reply to their e-mail on this subject (i guess they have nothing to add).
Its sad because it used to be fast and reliable, i guess as more and more user gets in, their capacity is overloaded, at least this is true for montreal area.

Comments:

Review by manilaice See Profile

• Location: analogavenue
Good "Fast. Remarkably. Currently rated as #4 in the DSLR community. Cheap. Widely Available."
Bad "Unreliable connection, frequent timeouts (although I have a tester modem, non-standard to clients)"
Overall "Good value, although disappointing due to the restrictions (data cap/speed cap), especially in such a reportedly high-tech city."

Ordering Videotron had to be one of the riskiest moves I had made. I had heard about their speed caps, their data limits, and their basic fear of the anglophone population of Montreal. But after discovering that the land lines running around my area were too old to support DSL, Videtron was my last resort. So I questioned even getting any broadband at all.

But I did, and they showed up at my door promptly, within the week which meant less than a 5 day wait for installation. Besides running cable through the apartment and putting the uplink somewhere along the line, the serviceman did little else. A quick installation on a Sunday morning, at that!

Imagine my surprise to find out I have a tester modem. Instead of getting the usual Motorola Surfboards prescribed to people in the downtown core of Montreal, I found sitting on my desk a Scientific Atlanta WebSTAR DPX110. This unit has similar if not better specifications to the Ericsson tester modems they currently use for the Rogers@Home service in the Greater Toronto Area (c.Sept '01)

Be forewarned though, caveats are abound. The reported speed caps ARE in place, as my speeds do nothing close to the theoretical of either cable, or the modem itself. I would provide a number here, but I've heard so much variance from both official and non-official sources that it would simply be misleading. There is also a monthly data transfer cap, which is 6gb down and 1gb up. Luckily, there is no way to track this using my tester modem, although those with the usual Motorolas may want to be prudent with the bandwidth.

Overall, after tweaking, I'm thoroughly impressed. Why do I give it an average rating though? The service and the complete Videotron package is nothing to be impressed about at all. They are mediocre at best, but something about them just makes me satisfied. It might simply be the relief I get from finally getting a stable connection, or the mere fact that it's only 30 dollars in Canadian currency to get an incredible transfer rate. I've been known to travel and I know that across the border, and even overseas, this is an incredibly cheap price for almost premium service.

Auxilliary information: Subsidized rates are available through the Quebec government, you may be required to actually BUY a cable modem which will up your cost significantly, but spanned over a year, it should still not exceed 40 dollars a month.

member for 13.7 years, 1410 visits, last login: 5.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by quebecsurfer See Profile

• Location: Ontario
Good "quick easy install, good custumer support, stable speed"
Bad "slow to repair network problem, sales representative ill informed"
Overall "great value for speed"

I ordered service from an independant representative on June 3 and installation was to take place in 2 weeks. The representative was ill informed, and did not give accurate information. This was cleared up in later phone calls (there is a possibility of a language problem, i am english, and the sales rep only spoke french, so the sales pitch was done in french)

Install took place in only 5 days Cables laid, computer configured, and online in 10 minutes...speeds of 100 k/s download promised... up to 400 k/s delivered.

Technical support very well informed and helpful, with bilingual support staff...on July 6 the connection was interrupted. A technician was sent out the next business day, and a work around was put in place. For one more week i had unstable but workable service until the problem was permanently solved (knock on wood!) on July 16. A technical support staff member phoned me personally after the repair was made to explain to me the nature of the problem, and to confirm what he saw from his end... that my modem was sending and receiving, and also he gave me information to maximize my performance.

The install was free, with a technicians visit.

The modem is $126 Can to rent for 12 months, and $169 to buy (motorola sb4100 usb modem, $227 us to buy from an online store)

The service is 3.2Mb down, 128Kb up for $29 can a month

I am very pleased with the service in general, i am hoping the connection problem was just a glitch.

Aug 3...

connection problem seemed fixed, but in the last week or so, my connection speed dropped from 3200 to about 1400

I was almost at the point of making a complaint, when the connection cut out briefly this morning, for about an hour or so... after which the speed shot up again in excess of 3500

I am assuming that the speed problem was fixed during the outage (at 5am ) and continue to be pleased with their service

ping times are also very good... to sites within north america usually under 50, average about 30

I think with more dsl choices in the Qu bec city area, vid otron is aware it must keep performance up, and so far I am pleased with their efforts...btw for tweaking, i have found with my connection and latency, that a rwin of 51100 is optimum, if that helps any in the same isp and area as I

member for 13.7 years, 803 visits, last login: 4.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by RogueNine See Profile

• Location: Dollard-Des-Ormeaux,QC
Good "Good download speeds"
Bad "Completely erratic ping in games"
Overall "Great for downloads, but for gaming it has been dissapointing."

Things were great when i first got cable over a year ago. Since then however their service has gone to hell. My ping in UT used to be a nice consistant 50-200 (depend on the server) Now it can go anywhere from 100 to 2000. It jumps all over the map. The worst part is that I sent in an E-mail informing them of this problem over 5 days ago, still no response. Not even an automated "We've recieved your mail and are looking into it." For all I know it got deleted by some bored tech 4 days ago.

As others here have said, when I do tracert tests all my first hops that used to be 10-20ms are now anywhere from 10-100. Thats just shoddy service. If they're not careful they will lose alot of people to DSL. (The route I'm thinking of going.)