Videotron page on DSLReports

Review by hman83 See Profile

• Location: Dollard-Des-Ormeaux,QC
Good "Incredibly Fast Downloads for the Price"
Bad "Uploads are really slow for a broadband connection"
Overall "It is the best widely available broadband provider in Montreal"

Excellent download speeds for what you pay (usually around 2.8 Mbits/s if the server is fast enough). Late at night, speed is incredible, usually around 4 Mbit/s though I've hit 5.5 Mbit/s a few times.

Uploads on the other hand are brutal, I never got over 18 kbit/s, so if you're going to be uploading loads of material look elsewhere.

Ping time is good, 82 ms with doctor ping, although a lot of the ones that bring up the average (100 ms and more) are in the south-west coast of the US and I'm in the Eastern part of Canada.

Installation was painless (and free), 2 technicians came and got it working in about an hour: they installed a splitter on my coaxial cable, a realtek (read "cheap-ass") ethernet card in the computer and set up the email. I would have done it myself but hey, you can't argue with free.

Haven't used tech support yet but i hear they're pretty clueless.

Anyways pretty sweet service if its mostly for web browsing and viewing righ-media content especially if you compare it to the cost a similar service would cost in the US

btw i'm using a samsung modem so the 6 gig download / 1 gig upload doesn't affect me

Comments:

Review by simon_f See Profile

• Location: Sherbrooke,QC
Good "download speed , always connected stability"
Bad "uplaod speed"
Overall "modem buy for 159.99$ + tax"

very good in download around 200k/s average max i get is 650k/s but upload doesn t go over 16k/s 18$ is because the quebec gov rebate if not 35$ a month

network card :realtek 10mb
modem :com21

no limit (they have a 6gig/1gig limit ) but they not check it

* kbps (from 6000 to 1000 about )/128kbps

Comments:

Review by jaysona See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Simple setup pseudo static IP address"
Bad "Shared connection"
Overall "If you can't get Sympatico DSL, this is a great alternative"

·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy DSL
In November of 1999 I decided to give my parents highspeed Internet access as a Christmas persent.

They live in Montreal, and I checked with Bell, they were too far from the CO for ADSL, so all that was left was Videotron Cable Internet.

I called Videotron, asked if they could install the service, but bill me for the Internet access portion. They could, I got my mother on the phone, conferenced her in the call so she could authorize the changes (cable tv is in her name).

A week and a half later the cable guy was there, running the cable to the computer room, installed the NIC in their computer and got them all setup.

They have a DHCP assigned IP address, but if they keep the computer on all the time, or at least for a hour every day, they keep the same IP address. This is great for videoconferencing, they have had the same IP address for about 7 months now.

I still get the bills delivered to SF every month, and Videotron doesn't change any late fees either. The payments never make it in on time due to the mail to and from the US being what it is.

I can think of any bad things to say aboyut Videotron or the cable Internet service, I'd use it if I ever had to move to Montreal, sure beats Bell's Sympatico.

Comments:

Review by ericbeaudoin See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Good download speed"
Bad "Upload is bad, email is slow, custermer service is horrible"
Overall "It's still better then the only other high-speed option"

The installation went well. The guys they sent to the house knew their business and was able to set everything real fast (I'm using a dual boot W2K/Win98).

The download speed is good nearly all the time. The ISP limits the upload. I did a lot of download and upload when I first got my connection and never had to pay extra although Videotron states that there is a limit of Gigs of upload and 1 Gig of download. The bill doesn't include any information on the usage so it is possible that I didn't go over the limit. [update: I just read elsewhere that since I have a Samsung CableModem, Videotron doesn't know how much I upload and download.]

The TCP/IP configuration is driven by a DHCP server. Every two or three weeks, the address change. When that happen, I lose the connection if I'm online -- very annoying.

I've had the service for a year now and only had one downtime. It lasted 9 days :-(. The tech support are worst I've seen for any telco company. The telephone system is loaded with menu options, when have to wait for half an hour before talking to someone and when you finally talk to someone, they don't know a thing. I would give them the ticket number I was given on a previous call and they would unable to find it. I got three different ticket numbers before the problem was resolve. BTW, this problem was affecting the entire neighbourhood, not just me. I fear to think what would have happen if I were the only one having problem...

The price is fair if you already have cable. If you don't have cable, you are better off with Bell DSL solution.

Comments:

Review by nicolaim See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "High speed download"
Bad "Annoying 6 GB download limit"
Overall "Sympatico is a better choice if you're going to leech a lot"

I unfortunately got the Motorola modem, so they can and do charge me if I go over my 6 GB / month download limit. Extra cost is an expensive $2 / 100 MB.
Installation was a bit chaotic because two technicians come to your house and they came in the wrong order for me.
Download speed is great. Upload speed sucks at 16 KB / s.
The service has been reliable with only rare short outages.
The news server was good until 2 weeks ago. It now sucks, because many large messages are incomplete. Videotron claims they're working on upgrading the server to alleviate the problem.
Tech support sucks. Calling them requires waiting around on hold for a very long time. They respond to e-mails - after a week!
Due to the download / upload limit forget Videotron if file transfers are your priority.
Despite some hassles, CDN$35 for high speed access is an excellent deal.

Comments:

Review by ninhellraiser See Profile

• Location: Brossard,QC
Good "Price, download speed"
Bad "tech support, upload speed, bad ping"

I had a lot of problems with videotron lately. The speed is kinda slow and my connection goes down pretty often. I emailed them 5 times and they never replied. I am pretty disapointed...

member for 14 years, 27 visits, last login: 13 years ago

Comments:

Review by carriere See Profile

• Location: Mercier,QC
Good "Good speed"
Bad "The 6 G download limit, 1 G upload limit"
Overall "For now, in Quebec (Montreal) it's the best of the two options..."

The basic configuration suck's...But after tweaking, you get the real thing.
Average of 1700bps download, 120bps upload.
For the instalation, I guess I was lucky, took 4 days after ordering.
Got the samsung modem, so for now they can't monitor my download...
So, it's not bad...Much better then Dial-up, but their is place of improvement.
One downside, the news server suck's big time, at least for the last 2 weeks.
I'm thinking to get a private server for news...

Comments:

Review by d134 See Profile

• Location: Vaudreuil-Dorion,QC
Good "Good d/l Speed"
Bad "16kb/sec Upstream limit"

About 200kb/sec downstream speed
from 40ms to 600ms ping response
Connection Really SUCKS !!

Comments:

Review by crivard See Profile

• Location: Sherbrooke,QC
Good "Godd download"
Bad "Slow upload"

Excellent service

Comments:

Review by Waddo See Profile

• Location: Mcmasterville,QC
Good "Fast, reliable"
Bad "Slow once in a blue moon"
Overall "Great value for price, better than Sympatico ADSL service"

I decided to go with this service(cable) after much thought and comparison to what the local Telco was offering (Bell Sympatico). Have been on with them for 6 months now and have no complaints.Ordering has fast and easy, 2 tech. guys came to the house to do the hook-up on the day and time that was promised.

Have tweaked my system a bit to get faster speeds, but generally have about

2400-2600 dn /125 up. Price is right at $34.90 p/mth including modem rental (Motorola CyberSurfr) Also took advantage of free install offer and Govmt. rebate for famillies to get on line (although it is not as if we were not on line before)and our bottom line cost is $23.00 p/mth taxes included.So it works out just as inexpensively to have broadband as compared to paying for regular dial-up.We live in west-end Montreal, and thus far "sharing" of bandwith with others on the network has not been an issue as it seems to be in Toronto and other cities with Rogers@Home. After reading and seeing the grief that many others are put through with Sympatico ( I used to be a dial-up subscriber with them) I would never go back.