Videotron page on DSLReports

Review by tenorman26 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Cable is great, not too many outages"
Bad "Customer service sucks, the worst I have ever seen"
Overall "Modem is fast, find your technical support online, learn how to search on your own."

The Videotron newsgroup is kept secret now, only for us customers now with only old archives at Usenet for the former Videotron newsgroup. Anyway, I thought my being an anglo (almost bilingual, not quite there) and new to Quebec had something to do with the treatment I've received but I've heard native Quebecers, whatever their language, receive the same abuse. Examples: technicians arriving on wrong days, hang-ups after waiting hours on the phone, accident?, being rushed on the phone, ignoring some of their contract stipulations (they'll cut your connection if you are late paying, I was late one time, no phone call, e-mail, or snail-mail to negotiate the payment like the contract says, monopoly? Damn straight.). Basically Videotron needs to get organized so the telephone reps can transmit the info to the technicians, wow, what a concept.

Modem is fast, actually faster now since I found this website via the Copernic Pro search engine I use, thanks to the other "SB4100" users with info on tweaking. The technician had to give me this newer modem when I moved so I'm glad and there's no limit on usage, FOR NOW. Of course, the technician didn't tell me that there was no limit, that's how it is, go online and ask someone else or wait an hour on the telephone to speak with a Videotron representative.

Is my modem up to par? On this site (11:00 a.m. EST) I received 734k download and 131k upload. I see many others have faster but I think mine is better than just okay. Let me know in a reply if it should be faster, if you don't mind.

Videotron has a nice product, I hope one day they will hire more staff to answer to the customers rather than laying them off. People are paying a lot of money per month for cable internet and digital t.v. (just got it) and we just want some answers sometimes as opposed to an automated message service that treats us like we're ten years old. If you ever want a laugh and can afford the call, call Videotron's customer service, it is a very good special and when cameras are implemented HBO should air "Videotron & The Customers", it'll be a huge hit and TMN.ca would show it as well.

Pet Peeve-Videotron calls themselves "Untitled Document" on their webpages and some links do not exist.

I heard NetAxis ( I think that's the name) offer cable connection in Montreal but I believe it's a lot more expensive because they have to pay Moronotron. I also believe that Hell Canada (Bell Canada) is worse than Videotron, tell me if I'm wrong.

Good "it's reliable"
Bad "the speed caps, bandwidth caps, tech support"
Overall "i guess when the only 2 hispeed providers here are sympatico and videotron, and sympatico isn't available.. no choice.."

I have had videotron for about 7 months now.

I really hate their upload and download speed caps.
It's actually 15KB/s upload. And download is 1.5Mb/s which would mean...
187.5KB/s.
Not quite 200.

I also really hate their upload and download monthly bandwidth caps.
They give us speed, but no bandwidth to download stuff with it.
1G upload and 6G download is GARBAGE.
I might do that in a DAY.

Their technical support personnel are idiots.
I used to work for iStar, Interlog, PSInet etc.
90% of the people at the company were morons.
It's closer to 98% here.

Obviously, when I tell the technical person that my pings to _every_ server
in Unreal Tournament and _every_ webpage I am visiting is SLOW, I
don't want to hear how it's the server I am visiting that is causing the
problems.
I did tech support long enough to know that it's whatever router/switch that
videotron was using to get my traffic out on the 'net.

But you know, Sympatico is almost as bad.
Same speed limits.
But, they don't have any bandwidth caps.
They have dumb software however.
Which is the lesser of two evils here...?

(review was emailed from domain hrdc-drhc.gc.ca)

Comments:

Review by nachoman415 See Profile

• Location: Hoh 0h0
Good "BLAZING SPEED, reliable connection, DOCSIS modem"
Bad "Slow upload"
Overall "Excellent, reliable service."

Modem Puchase: $159.95 (12-month contract)
Installation: Free with modem purchase (promotion), free installation of cable outlet
Monthly: $29.95
Equipment: Motorola SURFboard Modem
Claimed line speed: 3200/128kbps
Actual line speed: approx. 4800/120kbps
IP: DHCP

AMAZING SERVICE!!!!!!! Much much faster than Sympatico HSE. My line speed is significantly faster than Sympatico, with download speeds in excess of 600kiloBYTES/sec. Upload is constant however, at a slow 15k/s. My IP hasn't changed since the service was installed! Also, my pings are very good. On Napster, I get pings around 14 - 22 most of the time.

Installation was scheduled between 7:30am-12pm, tech arrived at 12:15. Called first to say he would be late, however. Installation was fast and simple, installed new cable outlet and set up my computer. This modem has a built in USB port, eliminating the need for a NIC or USB interface.

Service is reliable, and I haven't experienced ANY downtime. Getting faster speeds than they claim. Little slow-down during peak times; connection never falls below 2500kpbs. Tech support is a joke. You spend hours waiting for NOTHING. Just hope nothing goes wrong!

All in all, it is the best service around Montreal for the money.

Comments:

Review by hman83 See Profile

• Location: Dollard-Des-Ormeaux,QC
Good "Incredibly Fast Downloads for the Price"
Bad "Uploads are really slow for a broadband connection"
Overall "It is the best widely available broadband provider in Montreal"

Excellent download speeds for what you pay (usually around 2.8 Mbits/s if the server is fast enough). Late at night, speed is incredible, usually around 4 Mbit/s though I've hit 5.5 Mbit/s a few times.

Uploads on the other hand are brutal, I never got over 18 kbit/s, so if you're going to be uploading loads of material look elsewhere.

Ping time is good, 82 ms with doctor ping, although a lot of the ones that bring up the average (100 ms and more) are in the south-west coast of the US and I'm in the Eastern part of Canada.

Installation was painless (and free), 2 technicians came and got it working in about an hour: they installed a splitter on my coaxial cable, a realtek (read "cheap-ass") ethernet card in the computer and set up the email. I would have done it myself but hey, you can't argue with free.

Haven't used tech support yet but i hear they're pretty clueless.

Anyways pretty sweet service if its mostly for web browsing and viewing righ-media content especially if you compare it to the cost a similar service would cost in the US

btw i'm using a samsung modem so the 6 gig download / 1 gig upload doesn't affect me

Comments:

Review by simon_f See Profile

• Location: Sherbrooke,QC
Good "download speed , always connected stability"
Bad "uplaod speed"
Overall "modem buy for 159.99$ + tax"

very good in download around 200k/s average max i get is 650k/s but upload doesn t go over 16k/s 18$ is because the quebec gov rebate if not 35$ a month

network card :realtek 10mb
modem :com21

no limit (they have a 6gig/1gig limit ) but they not check it

* kbps (from 6000 to 1000 about )/128kbps

Comments:

Review by jaysona See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Simple setup pseudo static IP address"
Bad "Shared connection"
Overall "If you can't get Sympatico DSL, this is a great alternative"

·Electronic Box
·TekSavvy DSL
In November of 1999 I decided to give my parents highspeed Internet access as a Christmas persent.

They live in Montreal, and I checked with Bell, they were too far from the CO for ADSL, so all that was left was Videotron Cable Internet.

I called Videotron, asked if they could install the service, but bill me for the Internet access portion. They could, I got my mother on the phone, conferenced her in the call so she could authorize the changes (cable tv is in her name).

A week and a half later the cable guy was there, running the cable to the computer room, installed the NIC in their computer and got them all setup.

They have a DHCP assigned IP address, but if they keep the computer on all the time, or at least for a hour every day, they keep the same IP address. This is great for videoconferencing, they have had the same IP address for about 7 months now.

I still get the bills delivered to SF every month, and Videotron doesn't change any late fees either. The payments never make it in on time due to the mail to and from the US being what it is.

I can think of any bad things to say aboyut Videotron or the cable Internet service, I'd use it if I ever had to move to Montreal, sure beats Bell's Sympatico.

Comments:

Review by ericbeaudoin See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Good download speed"
Bad "Upload is bad, email is slow, custermer service is horrible"
Overall "It's still better then the only other high-speed option"

The installation went well. The guys they sent to the house knew their business and was able to set everything real fast (I'm using a dual boot W2K/Win98).

The download speed is good nearly all the time. The ISP limits the upload. I did a lot of download and upload when I first got my connection and never had to pay extra although Videotron states that there is a limit of Gigs of upload and 1 Gig of download. The bill doesn't include any information on the usage so it is possible that I didn't go over the limit. [update: I just read elsewhere that since I have a Samsung CableModem, Videotron doesn't know how much I upload and download.]

The TCP/IP configuration is driven by a DHCP server. Every two or three weeks, the address change. When that happen, I lose the connection if I'm online -- very annoying.

I've had the service for a year now and only had one downtime. It lasted 9 days :-(. The tech support are worst I've seen for any telco company. The telephone system is loaded with menu options, when have to wait for half an hour before talking to someone and when you finally talk to someone, they don't know a thing. I would give them the ticket number I was given on a previous call and they would unable to find it. I got three different ticket numbers before the problem was resolve. BTW, this problem was affecting the entire neighbourhood, not just me. I fear to think what would have happen if I were the only one having problem...

The price is fair if you already have cable. If you don't have cable, you are better off with Bell DSL solution.

Comments:

Review by nicolaim See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "High speed download"
Bad "Annoying 6 GB download limit"
Overall "Sympatico is a better choice if you're going to leech a lot"

I unfortunately got the Motorola modem, so they can and do charge me if I go over my 6 GB / month download limit. Extra cost is an expensive $2 / 100 MB.
Installation was a bit chaotic because two technicians come to your house and they came in the wrong order for me.
Download speed is great. Upload speed sucks at 16 KB / s.
The service has been reliable with only rare short outages.
The news server was good until 2 weeks ago. It now sucks, because many large messages are incomplete. Videotron claims they're working on upgrading the server to alleviate the problem.
Tech support sucks. Calling them requires waiting around on hold for a very long time. They respond to e-mails - after a week!
Due to the download / upload limit forget Videotron if file transfers are your priority.
Despite some hassles, CDN$35 for high speed access is an excellent deal.

Comments:

Review by ninhellraiser See Profile

• Location: Brossard,QC
Good "Price, download speed"
Bad "tech support, upload speed, bad ping"

I had a lot of problems with videotron lately. The speed is kinda slow and my connection goes down pretty often. I emailed them 5 times and they never replied. I am pretty disapointed...

member for 14.3 years, 27 visits, last login: 13.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by carriere See Profile

• Location: Mercier,QC
Good "Good speed"
Bad "The 6 G download limit, 1 G upload limit"
Overall "For now, in Quebec (Montreal) it's the best of the two options..."

The basic configuration suck's...But after tweaking, you get the real thing.
Average of 1700bps download, 120bps upload.
For the instalation, I guess I was lucky, took 4 days after ordering.
Got the samsung modem, so for now they can't monitor my download...
So, it's not bad...Much better then Dial-up, but their is place of improvement.
One downside, the news server suck's big time, at least for the last 2 weeks.
I'm thinking to get a private server for news...

member for 14.3 years, 48 visits, last login: 13.5 years ago