Videotron page on DSLReports

Review by SHY See Profile

• Location: Cote Saint-Luc,QC
Good "Rock solid internet"
Bad "In almost ten years, I have never been able to get phone service during a power failure."
Overall "English television sucks, but what is the alternative!?!"

Overall I have to say better the devil you know than the devil you don't. I have never had anything but excellent internet service with the TGV 30.

The caps are not great, but then there hasn't been much on the torrents these days anyways.

Never had any problems with their phone service other than the battery backup never worked. Sound quality is indistinguishable from Bell.

member for 4.2 years, 1891 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by live5 See Profile

• Location: Longueuil,QC
Good "Extremely reliable, fast download speed, good tracking"
Bad "Expensive, data cap, upload speed, email service"
Overall "Useful if you combine services, reliable for gaming and fast download, not as good if you download a lot or hosting anything"

I've been with them for around 5 years. Connection has always been reliable; I can't remember the last shortage I had, maybe once or twice in all those years. I was with AEI before and the lag while gaming was just unbearable at times. Since the switch, I got much faster download speeds (High-Speed package). Ping is low. However upload speeds are really low (~1Mbps) and it's impossible for me to host a game or upload a lot of content (e.g. on Youtube it takes hours to upload a video of a few hundred Mbs). Installation was easy, the technician came on a Saturday, however he charged us around 200$ because our coax inputs in the wall weren't "authorized" as we were using a splitter in the basement to split the signal throughout the house. The only thing he did was to replace the splitter with another one...not really worth the price. Also the modem is locked to the outlet, which is really not conveniant if you want to move it around. Overall I'm satisfied with their service since we have phone/cable/internet with them; however I'm pretty sure you can get a better price with small ISPs.

Comments:

Review by AlanKinNA See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "good tech support if you provide good info (detailed... not "the thing is not working")"
Bad "no innovation, doubtful security"
Overall "good enough"

It's good enough.

Comments:

Review by bidoup See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "Reliable"
Bad "Price a little bit high"
Overall "I recommend!"

I've been with Videotron for over 10 years and the quality of their service has increased a lot lately. Unlike 10 years ago, when their service was a total joke, now i'm sure its one of the best in Canada. Tech Support is always helpful and you get answer from a real person when you call

Comments:

Review by Samus Aran See Profile

• Location: Saint-Hubert,QC
Good "fast, reliable"
Bad "a bit pricey if you want more monthly usage"

I have internet, HDTV and phone with Videotron since august 2005, not a single problem with the service. it was fast, 7 mpbs, and reliable. The only problem was the limited monthly usage. I think 30 GB ( now it's 50 GB ) combined per month is not enough so I took the TGV15 with 90 GB per month. Added a mobile phone a few months ago. signal is not very strong in my apartment but everywhere else it's really good

member for 8.8 years, 4354 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by Peterg1 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Reliable internet service - decent tech support (only checked during outages)"
Bad "Appalling billing department, highly variable customer service, mediocre HDTV"
Overall "A mediocrity"

As alluded to in the bad comments, probably my greatest problem with Videotron has been a degeneration in the quality of the personnel and a cavalier attitude in dealing with supposedly a valued customer.

My first problem was over a year ago when I decided to cancel my digital home phone service and have my two numbers ported out. I was under contract and was extremely careful to follow the rules to a T as laid out by a Videotron rep/supervisor who was very efficient. She advised NOT to contact the new providers to port a few days before as if they received their orders a few days before I would be charged the cancellation fee of the contract. I ensured that I contacted my new providers (one fax and one voice) right before the end of my contract to avoid being hit with cancellation charges. The morning of the end of my contract I gave instructions to the new providers to port my numbers out. However, this was the Friday before a long weekend and whilst the first chain of Videotron was contacted that day, it took a few days to filter down the line.

The end result was that they alleged that they were contacted too late and they wished to charge me $1xx as a cancellation fee. A complete mess which took 2 months to sort out and finally was sorted out by the 6th person I spoke to. No apology, no nothing.

The other comments are to do with customer service. Some I have dealt with have been very polite and very efficient, a credit to the company. A few of the others, especially the ones I contacted today were just awful. I am not fluent in French but I do have a reasonable knowledge. However I do choose the English queue. 4 years ago generally the quality of the reps in customer service was good. Polite and reasonable facility in English. Now Videotron seem to be hiring some rough types (surprisingly the women) who lack politeness and have not much command of English. What ends up is a colossal waste of time with my having to repeat and repeat the same thing over and over and with no real comprehension on their part.

Overall, far inferior to, for example, the customer experience I had with Shaw Cable when I lived out West.

Update 29/09/2011 - Since I wrote this review I have had another interaction with customer service yesterday to change services. This resulted in my dealing with an outstanding customer service individual who helped to dissipate the overall awful service I received yesterday. He was truly excellent and after our conversation I left a message with his supervisor praising him, but mentioning the bad experience with the customer service reps the day before.

My overall review still stands. It is literally a crapshoot as to who you get. Your call can be excellent and it can be terrible.

Comments:

Review by Monsieur See Profile

• Location: Chicoutimi,QC
Good "Vitesse"
Bad "Très dispendieux, limites de téléchargement ridicules"
Overall "Trouvez un autre fournisseur"

Vous pouvez lire vos courriels à une vitesse incroyable. Si vous faites plus que lire des courriels avec votre connexion Internet, un fournisseur avec des limites de téléchargement plus raisonnables est fortement conseillées.

member for 3.4 years, 1493 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by MP1 See Profile

• Location: Saint-Constant,QC
Good "Very good tech suport, stable service so far."
Bad "Point of sale - service is awful"

I do own all the services that Videotron provides:
- Internet (7Mps)
- Phone
- TV (2 x EDP)
- 2 x Cellphones.

So far, happy with the service and support.
The only complaint that I would have is with the Superclub Videotron partners.
They don't have sufficient knowledge and the sale and support isn't what we should expect from Videotron.
Had to return 2 cellphones before doing my research on the WEB myself for a new one...

Comments:

Review by blakenet See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "stable,rapide,pas de pannes, SAC rapide"
Bad "TRES CHER,techniciens disent nimporte quoi, politiques fixes"
Overall "trop cher pour la valeur"

·Bell Fibe
la vitesse est rapide, la quantitée de data a telecharger : 30mb 120gb faites le calcul et c'est pas long a peter

l'installation est rapide, mais quand vous voulez poser une question au support technique on vous repond souvent nimporte quoi

member for 3.4 years, 869 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by rotar See Profile

• Location: Lachine,QC
Good "quite good services"
Bad "sometimes slow with no reason"
Overall "not bad but pricy for what we get"

30Meg down, 3 Mg up; price is around CAN65$; around because there are some discount with getting the TV.
Speed is enough for me.

Nothing really bad to mention. Good support when I call; responsive, fast.

I'm considering moving to Bell; because some friends are happy with their new solution and it's cheaper.