Videotron page on DSLReports

• Location: H2R2L
Good "Fast and reliable service."
Bad "Thieves. Also, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing."
Overall "Awful service, lies, and these guys don't care about their customers at ALL. Will promise things they can't give you."

Awful, awful service.

So they said they'd charge me a certain price, and then charged me 12$ a
month more. I called numerous times and each time they assured me it was a
mistake, that they would give me my money back, or that it was a billing
thing where I would get a credit next month, etc. Now that it's been long
enough since the initial phone call, they simply claim that they have no
proof of anything and therefore it's my problem.

These guys promise credits and promotions that don't exist anymore, you have
to triple check to get the real story. They tell you to email your student
card to them and that they will apply a certain credit, but don't notify you
when this proves impossible. Then, when you call to cancel your services,
they finally give you a credit to match the competitor you're going with,
but never apply it. Horrible service. If you enjoy being ripped off and
stolen from, go with Videotron.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by Skydrol See Profile

• Location: Quebec,QC
Good "Speed, Reliability"
Bad "Price, Caps"
Overall "They Rock!"

Good speed but high prices and bad bandwidth caps

member for 10.4 years, 3634 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by serco See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "My real speed is great for a 15 mbits package"
Bad "The quota is low: 90gig UL & DL combined"
Overall "Cust.Serv. from Montreal is correct, but if you have serv from Egypt, hangpup and call later"

Still a First class IPS

Comments:

Review by Redgie See Profile

• Location: Laval,QC
Good "Réseau très fiable, vitesse tel qu'annoncé, bon service à la clientèle"
Bad "Le prix et les limites de bande passante"
Overall "Un très bon FAI, mais le prix est élevé..."

·ELECTRONICBOX
Je suis avec Vidéotron pour mon accès internet depuis 4 ans maintenant et je dois dire que le service est, jusqu'à date, sans reproche. La vitesse est constante et à mon souvenir, je n'ai jamais eu de coupure de service.

Petit bémol cependant: l'internet HV étant le seul service que j'ai avec Vidéotron, la facture s'élève à 62,00$ par mois, ce qui est cher. Présentement, je considère changer de FAI pour cette raison.

Comments:

Review by marxster See Profile

• Location: Otterburn Park,QC
Good "Fast connection"
Bad "Pricey"
Overall "Best in my area"

I'm running a small business out of my home and I've been a client of Videotron's for about 7 years now. I was using Bell before, but their speeds just don't compare with Videotron.

At the moment, I have the "Ultimate Speed 30" plan which gives me 30mbps down and 2mbps up with a 120gigabyte total bandwidth cap. This costs $66.95.

I'm testing my speeds regularly and am constantly getting between 29 and 31mbps down and about 2mbps up.

I've checked other companies in the area and the only one that I seem to be able to find that compares as far as speed and price goes is Electronic Box. However, they charge $49.95 for installation which Videotron did not charge. Also, their overage fees are $2.50 per gigabyte while Videotron charge $1.50 per gigabyte.

Believe it or not, we do go over the 120 gigabyte limit every other month or so, and these charges can add up quickly.

We also have phone and cable service with videotron and are satisfied with the service in general. Bundling the three services together gets you a discount but it's ridiculously small.

Over the 7 years that I've been with this company I've had, of course, my share of frustration with tech support and/or billing issues. I have to say, however, that you're going to have these frustrations with Bell or any other company as well.

At the end of the day, I need fast Internet for my business and I can't complain about the speed and reliability.

We most definitely need more competition, since we're really being gouged.

Comments:

Review by aegyssus7 See Profile

• Location: Anjou,QC
Good "Good speed and stable quality of service; almost fixed IP. Interesting combos for internet, phone and cable TV."
Bad "Download limits very low. Way too expensive; increasing the price constantly."
Overall "If you want a stable service for which you're willing to pay more expensive then you may want to go with them."

I have a 7mbps line with a local phone line and the superbasic TV for which I pay 99CAD.

The connection is solid and reliable even at peak time, no matter the season. The phone is alright but sometimes the persons who call us are redirected to numbers that they did not dial.

The TV channels are worst than what I can receive with the room antenna.

The worst of all is the fact that they increase constantly (every year or less) the service fee for Internet but they keep very low download/upload limits (20GB download, 10GB upload with no way to use the remaining upload capacity for download). It's really ridiculous for the price and this is what makes me stay awake for any better competition.

===========================

Meanwhile I moved to Bell Canada. Had some trouble with erratic billing there but, overall, I get more bang for the buck. BTW, when I've moved, they asked me to pay ***150$*** for a contract I've never signed; I paid as requested then they referred me to some freaking company that called saying I was still owing Videotron 250$ for a modem that they have never asked it back; I returned the modem then they sent me a reviewed bill where they asked me to pay for some invented traffic that I've done two months ago.

=== Bottom line ===

I will NEVER-NEVER-NEVER do any business with Videotron again for the way they treated me after being their loyal customer (TV, internet & phone) for more than 10 years.

NEVER.

Comments:

Review by vnhfremen See Profile

• Location: Quebec,QC
Good "Fast and mostly reliable"
Bad "Expensive considering the bandwidth cap, slow upload speed"
Overall "Best service available in quebec so far..."

I'm currently on TGV60. It's 81$ with a 12 months contract (10$ off per month). Installation went well. The speed is amazing when you manage to use it (in my case, mostly when I download games off steam). Still, 81$ / month and a 150 gigs cap ? I would say lower the price by another 20$ or triple the cap...oh well!

Comments:

Review by BingoRingo See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "It works, period."
Bad "Expensive, ridiculously low bandwidth limit"
Overall "In one year, not once has the internet connection been down."

A year ago I got sick of dealing with Bell Canada. I had one of their reseller for the internet (Radioactif.com) and I would pay $32/month, taxes included. I had telephone with Bell and television with Videotron.

I won't mention the problems with the telephone line itself, but the DSL connection was very often not working, sometimes for a few hours, but too often for 2 or 3 days. Calling Radioactif would not change anything as they told me it was Bell's network that was down and that I had to contact them. Plus I guess because of throttling I never got an actual "high speed" connection. So I decided to switch to Videotron.

As soon as the Videotron tech left my house, I noticed a great bump in speed (I got the Haute Vitesse Extrême). I now had a limit of 100 GB which proved to be enough for what I'm doing. Not once in the last year has this connection let me down. It just works.

After a year, I decided to save money by going to Haute Vitesse and I'm now at 30 GB/month, which is a big joke, but I'm not downloading enough to justify paying the premium for HVE anymore.

It is expensive compared to Radioactif.com but if you compare with Bell they're playing in the same league.

I don't regret the move, but I still think the oligopoly in telecommunications is ripping us off.

Update 03-12-2011: Well just got a message from the site asking to update my review, just to say that with that whole UBB thing, I decided to switch to TekSavvy because they defend my interests. With the dryloop it's gonna cost me the same for less speed, but I'll get 300GB of download, which will be enough for my Voip and the occasional Netflix movie. I'm not a power user, I really don't download that much, but Videotron's ridiculously low cap (40 GB) is really not enough in today's world, I always had to tell my wife not to videochat for too long with her parents when the end of the month was close.

After I cancelled, a week later Videotron announced they're raising the download cap to 50 GB, yet their retention department could only give me a $5.00 discount/month, which is what an extra GB costs ($4.95). I was insulted by that, especially since they asked me why I was leaving and I said it was too expensive for such a low download cap. Because of that insult to my intelligence, I decided to cancel phone service as well. Unfortunately I'm stuck with them for TV, at least until independent IPTV becomes available, or FreeHD Canada.

member for 4.3 years, 1065 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by draknar See Profile

• Location: Marieville,QC
Good "HD Quality"
Bad "Too expensive"

66$ for TGV30
50$ for Base + 15 channels HD

I'm looking to buy a OTA antenna with quality and drop internet and TV videotron to go with a bell reseller.

i can't reduce my TV bundle because it's already the minimum for RDS HD.

The problem is that i like HD Sports channel and Astral channels... But too much is too much. Internet can help me... but no HD.

member for 5.8 years, 2215 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by DanTou See Profile

• Location: Quebec,QC
Good "Signal reliability"
Bad "Customer/Technical service; buggy/obsolete hardware"
Overall "If you're stuck with cable or need French channels"

·Vonage
If not taking multiple packages (Internet, phone, cable) and 12 months contracts: outrageous prices.
You NEVER get a correct answer for technical/customer service on first call. They also lie to you. They NEVER believe you. Once somebody (you have to wait for at home) shows up, then they find the real problem, and finally believe you.

TV...
Few English channels in HD. Buggy/obsolete/slow hardware. Incorrect info in guide.

Order and install process is painful at best, depending on what you are installing. Clueless over phone (activating or submitting a problem), when they show at home, they try to make you feel stupid.

member for 7.7 years, 2289 visits, last login: a few hours ago