Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

Videotron page on DSLReports

Review by Peterg1 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Reliable internet service - decent tech support (only checked during outages)"
Bad "Appalling billing department, highly variable customer service, mediocre HDTV"
Overall "A mediocrity"

As alluded to in the bad comments, probably my greatest problem with Videotron has been a degeneration in the quality of the personnel and a cavalier attitude in dealing with supposedly a valued customer.

My first problem was over a year ago when I decided to cancel my digital home phone service and have my two numbers ported out. I was under contract and was extremely careful to follow the rules to a T as laid out by a Videotron rep/supervisor who was very efficient. She advised NOT to contact the new providers to port a few days before as if they received their orders a few days before I would be charged the cancellation fee of the contract. I ensured that I contacted my new providers (one fax and one voice) right before the end of my contract to avoid being hit with cancellation charges. The morning of the end of my contract I gave instructions to the new providers to port my numbers out. However, this was the Friday before a long weekend and whilst the first chain of Videotron was contacted that day, it took a few days to filter down the line.

The end result was that they alleged that they were contacted too late and they wished to charge me $1xx as a cancellation fee. A complete mess which took 2 months to sort out and finally was sorted out by the 6th person I spoke to. No apology, no nothing.

The other comments are to do with customer service. Some I have dealt with have been very polite and very efficient, a credit to the company. A few of the others, especially the ones I contacted today were just awful. I am not fluent in French but I do have a reasonable knowledge. However I do choose the English queue. 4 years ago generally the quality of the reps in customer service was good. Polite and reasonable facility in English. Now Videotron seem to be hiring some rough types (surprisingly the women) who lack politeness and have not much command of English. What ends up is a colossal waste of time with my having to repeat and repeat the same thing over and over and with no real comprehension on their part.

Overall, far inferior to, for example, the customer experience I had with Shaw Cable when I lived out West.

Update 29/09/2011 - Since I wrote this review I have had another interaction with customer service yesterday to change services. This resulted in my dealing with an outstanding customer service individual who helped to dissipate the overall awful service I received yesterday. He was truly excellent and after our conversation I left a message with his supervisor praising him, but mentioning the bad experience with the customer service reps the day before.

My overall review still stands. It is literally a crapshoot as to who you get. Your call can be excellent and it can be terrible.

Comments:

Review by Monsieur See Profile

• Location: Chicoutimi,QC
Good "Vitesse"
Bad "Très dispendieux, limites de téléchargement ridicules"
Overall "Trouvez un autre fournisseur"

Vous pouvez lire vos courriels à une vitesse incroyable. Si vous faites plus que lire des courriels avec votre connexion Internet, un fournisseur avec des limites de téléchargement plus raisonnables est fortement conseillées.

Comments:

Review by MP1 See Profile

• Location: Saint-Constant,QC
Good "Very good tech suport, stable service so far."
Bad "Point of sale - service is awful"

I do own all the services that Videotron provides:
- Internet (7Mps)
- Phone
- TV (2 x EDP)
- 2 x Cellphones.

So far, happy with the service and support.
The only complaint that I would have is with the Superclub Videotron partners.
They don't have sufficient knowledge and the sale and support isn't what we should expect from Videotron.
Had to return 2 cellphones before doing my research on the WEB myself for a new one...

Comments:

Review by blakenet See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "stable,rapide,pas de pannes, SAC rapide"
Bad "TRES CHER,techniciens disent nimporte quoi, politiques fixes"
Overall "trop cher pour la valeur"

·Electronic Box
la vitesse est rapide, la quantitée de data a telecharger : 30mb 120gb faites le calcul et c'est pas long a peter

l'installation est rapide, mais quand vous voulez poser une question au support technique on vous repond souvent nimporte quoi

Comments:

Review by rotar See Profile

• Location: Lachine,QC
Good "quite good services"
Bad "sometimes slow with no reason"
Overall "not bad but pricy for what we get"

30Meg down, 3 Mg up; price is around CAN65$; around because there are some discount with getting the TV.
Speed is enough for me.

Nothing really bad to mention. Good support when I call; responsive, fast.

I'm considering moving to Bell; because some friends are happy with their new solution and it's cheaper.

• Location: H2R2L
Good "Fast and reliable service."
Bad "Thieves. Also, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing."
Overall "Awful service, lies, and these guys don't care about their customers at ALL. Will promise things they can't give you."

Awful, awful service.

So they said they'd charge me a certain price, and then charged me 12$ a
month more. I called numerous times and each time they assured me it was a
mistake, that they would give me my money back, or that it was a billing
thing where I would get a credit next month, etc. Now that it's been long
enough since the initial phone call, they simply claim that they have no
proof of anything and therefore it's my problem.

These guys promise credits and promotions that don't exist anymore, you have
to triple check to get the real story. They tell you to email your student
card to them and that they will apply a certain credit, but don't notify you
when this proves impossible. Then, when you call to cancel your services,
they finally give you a credit to match the competitor you're going with,
but never apply it. Horrible service. If you enjoy being ripped off and
stolen from, go with Videotron.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by Skydrol See Profile

• Location: Quebec,QC
Good "Speed, Reliability"
Bad "Price, Caps"
Overall "They Rock!"

Good speed but high prices and bad bandwidth caps

member for 11.2 years, 3773 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by serco See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "My real speed is great for a 15 mbits package"
Bad "The quota is low: 90gig UL & DL combined"
Overall "Cust.Serv. from Montreal is correct, but if you have serv from Egypt, hangpup and call later"

Still a First class IPS

Comments:

Review by Redgie See Profile

• Location: Laval,QC
Good "Réseau très fiable, vitesse tel qu'annoncé, bon service à la clientèle"
Bad "Le prix et les limites de bande passante"
Overall "Un très bon FAI, mais le prix est élevé..."

·Electronic Box
Je suis avec Vidéotron pour mon accès internet depuis 4 ans maintenant et je dois dire que le service est, jusqu'à date, sans reproche. La vitesse est constante et à mon souvenir, je n'ai jamais eu de coupure de service.

Petit bémol cependant: l'internet HV étant le seul service que j'ai avec Vidéotron, la facture s'élève à 62,00$ par mois, ce qui est cher. Présentement, je considère changer de FAI pour cette raison.

Comments:

Review by marxster See Profile

• Location: Otterburn Park,QC
Good "Fast connection"
Bad "Pricey"
Overall "Best in my area"

I'm running a small business out of my home and I've been a client of Videotron's for about 7 years now. I was using Bell before, but their speeds just don't compare with Videotron.

At the moment, I have the "Ultimate Speed 30" plan which gives me 30mbps down and 2mbps up with a 120gigabyte total bandwidth cap. This costs $66.95.

I'm testing my speeds regularly and am constantly getting between 29 and 31mbps down and about 2mbps up.

I've checked other companies in the area and the only one that I seem to be able to find that compares as far as speed and price goes is Electronic Box. However, they charge $49.95 for installation which Videotron did not charge. Also, their overage fees are $2.50 per gigabyte while Videotron charge $1.50 per gigabyte.

Believe it or not, we do go over the 120 gigabyte limit every other month or so, and these charges can add up quickly.

We also have phone and cable service with videotron and are satisfied with the service in general. Bundling the three services together gets you a discount but it's ridiculously small.

Over the 7 years that I've been with this company I've had, of course, my share of frustration with tech support and/or billing issues. I have to say, however, that you're going to have these frustrations with Bell or any other company as well.

At the end of the day, I need fast Internet for my business and I can't complain about the speed and reliability.

We most definitely need more competition, since we're really being gouged.