Videotron page on DSLReports

Review by sr1515 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Very reliable network uptime, fast connection."
Bad "Pricey packages and sometimes choppy email but I haven't had to call their support in years."
Overall "Expensive but network is reliable."

High speed internet (cable) 1.5mbps up, 10mbps down. 60 Mbps/Monthly combined data transfer cap.

Cable modem supplied upon subscription.

Must subscribe to at least one other service (Digital TV, Phone, Cell) from provider to be eligible to a $10 rebate on the $57.95 monthly subscription cost.

Major good point: Connection reliability and speed.
Major bad points: Email servers are sometimes temperamental. Technical support quality can vary but it's usually excellent. Quite expensive for its overall value when compared to what's available in other countries.

Comments:

Review by DrAkO See Profile

• Location: Montreal-Nord,QC
Good "Excellente vitesse, très stable, internet illimité, pas erreur facture"
Bad "Dispendieux"

Internet 15/10 Illimité, rien à dire sur la qualité du service.

Prix élevé cependant.

member for 8.4 years, 4043 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by carlom See Profile

• Location: Laval,QC
Good "Stable UL and DL speeds"
Bad "Cost"
Overall "Expensive but service is reliable and consistent"

·TekSavvy DSL
The upload and download speeds meet or exceed the target every time. I have never seen a slowdown, even on evenings or weekends. Customer service is excellent. The main issue is the painfully high price. For Cable 15/10 service, I could live with the cost, if the bandwidth allocation as more realistic. With 5 people in the house, the 75 GB is never enough. To the monthly charge of $50.95 (+ tax), you need to add the cost of usage blocks ($12.50 for each 60GB block). With kids watching Netflix in different rooms, Youtube videos, Skype etc, the bandwidth gets used up quite fast.

Comments:

Review by Darnozz See Profile

• Location: Saint-Jerome,QC
Good "Connection stable et rapide."
Bad "Trop cher comme service. Service à la clientèle dépendant de l'agent."

Ça fait au-dessus de 10 ans que je suis avec Vidéotron et le service a toujours été extrêmement stable. Le nombre de fois que j'ai eu un problème technique peut ce compter sur une seule main. J'ai présentement le service tgv 60 et j'ai eu pendant quelque mois le cellulaire. J'ai du annuler le service mobile parce qu'il y avait un trou au niveau du réseau à ma résidence et le soutien technique ne pouvait rien y faire avant 2014. Donc j'ai seulement l'internet mais ça reste cher donc je suis en train de vérifier avec quel autre fournisseurs je pourrais aller.

Pour le service à la clientèle, ça dépend grandement de qui est à l'autre bout du fil. Si c'est un Québécois, les chances d'avoir un bon service est plus grandes. Si c'est un agent d'un autre pays, le service a de grande chances de diminuer.

Comments:

Review by tristanles See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Good speed and excellent service"
Bad "Connection stability issues during the week-end, very expensive"
Overall "Expensive"

·ELECTRONICBOX
First I used a 20Mb/s connection with 90GB per month. I needed more data and went for the 30Mb/s with 150GB per month. Still not enough so I called the customer service. They offered me the 60Mb/s with 250GB for the same price as my 30Mb/s. So, good experience with the customer service.
The tech guys who made the installation were very helpful too.

However, I had some problems during the week-end (very slow connection with loss of signal sometimes). And for 75$/month, I expect more than an average connection.
Other ISPs offer more data (with less bandwidth, but do you really need 60Mb/s ?) for much less cost.

Comments:

Review by vitesse See Profile

• Location: Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu,QC
Good "Great speed, stable signal"
Bad "Really really bad billing departement."

I use Videotron Cell Phone since the start of the year.

I had problem with the billing departement. You have to go to the self service web site everytime you make a change just to be sure they get it right.

I had heavy problem with my first phone Nexus One (screen digitizer), after 4 exchange and 1 month of negociation I got a Nexus S free if charge. So far I love the Nexus S.

Internet service is fast and work well for streaming radio station (with my google nexus S) My speed average is 3.5mbps for download and 2.2mbps for upload

I'm pleased with the quality of their signal so far. It work on 95% of place I go Their not better than the Cartel (ROBELUS) for my village covering, but everywhere else is excellent.

Still with them for the cellular. One of the phone hs the new unlimited text/talk with 6gb, I called for the 3gb plan at 49.95, but for an unknow reason it was not possible to give this plan to me (probably because I have no other service with them). But instead he gave me the other plan for the same price. Can't complain the other phone is now only used for talk so we took the basic 25$ plan. The main phone is now a Google Nexus 4 bought in the google play store.

Comments:
Gorz

join:2008-11-23
Lachine, QC

You are paying too much

$89 for 3 Mbps, and low cap certainly.

I pay Teksavvy DSL for $32, 4.3 Mbps, and 300 Gig bandwidth.

vitesse

join:2002-12-17
Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, QC
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Bell Sympatico
·Videotron

Re: You are paying too much

I should make my review better

89$ is for two cellular. in fact we pay 15$ each for 500mb per month internet.

We only do web browsing / 32kbps aac+ streaming and google maps with our phone
Connection: Teksavvy 10000/1600 in mlppp
Globaltuners.com Remotely controled Radio scanner

Review by darknestgirl See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "bon service sans interruption"
Bad "trop chère"

·Acanac
Je n'est jamais eu de problème avec eux jusqu'à ce que je découvre ma facture de ce mois-ci. J'ai cancellée internet et téléphone le 20 juin dernier et o surprise, ils me faturent les 2 services jusqu'au 22 juillet.

Pas fort, je ne vois pas pourquoi je paierai pour 2 service que je n'utilise plus et surtout que je n'est plus les modems, je suis aller les porter le lendemain de la cancellation..

EDIT: 15 juin problème régler, il sera créditer le mois prochain
EDIT: 7 juillet, le crédit a été appliquer comme prévu

Comments:

Review by TH47 See Profile

• Location: Saint-Hubert,QC
Good "Services are mostly worth the money, but they rise constantly and without valid reason"
Bad "TV channel choice poor, land phone dead if power failure"
Overall "Be sure you understand the shortcomings"

UPDATE:

I have had Vidéotron's mobile service for 4 months. Basically... it works, even if I live in a basement! I clearly remember my Bell phone (10 years ago) having trouble catching the signal.

They have cheap yet good phones (I chose a Samsung Galaxy Mini, 15$ at the time) and cheap yet good service (I plan to upgrade to Voice 25, which is 100 minutes, unlimited evenings and week-ends, call display, message box and unlimited messaging) soon. I don't get that many calls that are worth answering or returning.

I like it!

===

Ordering Internet (high speed) was easy by phone. When I found out that my antenna got no TV channels, I called back to order TV if possible on the same visit. I was told to ask the technician if he had time. He did it. The modem was a regular cable modem.

A year later I ordered land phone (around 39 $/month at the time I think). They changed the modem. The battery is supposed to give 8 hours of service in case of power failure. It stops before 2 hours. I guess I'll have to consider mobile emergency service.

The TV channels choice is poor, especially in English. New English channels have time to prosper everywhere else before Videotron will consider adding them. But Internet is trustworthy and the phone quality is excellent when power is available.

And now I have to report on their new Illico 2.0 interface. It looks good. I won't have access to it until at least September, but it looks good. Nothing revolutionary, but a few things that will make the experience more enjoyable.

This company will raise its prices more than once a year. Yesterday (as they were announcing Illico 2.0) they raised the fees for almost all of their TV packages, after raising TV basic service and Internet service by $2 a month on January 1. So be warned.

Probably not the best company available, but when your landlord doesn't allow dishes, Videotron is a reasonably good alternative.

On the other hand, Fibe is apparently coming up soon, and I will most definitely check on their offer...

member for 8.4 years, 2088 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
joey45454

join:2007-05-30
Quebec

landline issues- Agreed

Yes on that reference about videotron landlines not doing its job in power failures. Best to have another company's mobile service at the same time.
TH47

join:2005-10-29

Agreed...

Exactly. I plan to go on Rogers' Senior Plan (basic but economical) and keep the Videotron landline.

At least for a while...

Review by morbidasperg See Profile

• Location: Quebec,QC
Good "Speed is as advertised most of the times, service is better than Bell"
Bad "Overpriced packages (WWW + Cable + phone) when compared to any other country"
Overall "Sadly, the only choice in Quebec City or Montreal if you want to combine many services and get some customer support."

I used to be with Bell (I stopped receiving 0$ bills 3 years after I switched) and, while the DSL speed was acceptable, tv was then too expensive with them and VOIP phone was just plain horrible and customer support was plain dumb at best.

After considering many options (most of which implied dealing with different providers for most if not all services) we decided to combine with Videotron.

So far the CS is not that bad and the Internet is always connected (there were several dropouts on Bell). The cable offering is outrageously expensive though and the phone service is to a bare minimum.

*** Updated connection reliability from 5 to 4 Since a new "unlimited" plan is available the network seems to choke at times. Netflix should never lag on a 20Mbps connection.

Comments:

Review by slicedtoad See Profile

Good "Best provider in Quebec by far. Price, speed, support, etc."
Bad "Compared to US, it's slow and expensive"
Overall "Best of the major players in Quebec"

The above says it all.