Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by why60loss See Profile

• Location: Wake Forest,Wake,NC
Good "It was better than DSL "
Bad "60% packet loss, hardly ever got the upto speed, tech support=useless"
Overall "It may be better than DSL, but it still really bad"

·Verizon Wireless..
I first signed up for Time warner cable in 2011 with a internet, TV and phone package for 99 a month, though I had used them before then and had them also after getting rid of AOL. I was told the install would be free, but then the tech wanted to charge for it due to more work needing to be done. Though even with that it only took less than 45min to set up and the internet did seem to work well after basic tests so he left. At the time I did get the at the time 10/1 speed I signed up for, but then as the days went by I began to have issues.

After two weeks I found my self rebooting the modem (The one Time warner gave me) almost every day to reconnect to the internet. Even after reboot web pages also would give me 404/5xx errors very often. I thought it was with my desktop, notebook and other notebook or that the internet just doesn't work that well because growing up I had to fix issues like this every day to very week so it had become the norm for me. I had only had cable, DSL and 56k so I thought it was okay for cable to need daily trouble shooting because at lest it somewhat kind of worked. Unlike AOL and DSL. In the case of DSL it would be down just about every day and I never got the "upto" speed. So I thought that 5min per day and 4-5hours of total nonworking down time was how cable internet was and that is just how it is. I really hated having to download any big files (2-4GB) because in most cases it would take all day and clog my connection, so I hated stuff like Steam and updates because I thought it was far to taxing on my middle of the road plain jane internet connection.

But then as the months went by I started to think how much of a pain this was, when most of the time the internet was really fast when I used my notebook at other places. It was night and day really. 404 type errors every other time on my home connection, yet on AT&T wifi 99% of the time it took less than one sec to get on web sites. At first I brushed it off as good luck on there part and thought that couldn't be the way it was most of the time. Stupid I know, but it's what I really thought at the time.

But as I had more and more guest that would ask to use my internet and then complain it wasn't working good/at all. I would ask something along the lines of, Is it just how cable is or doesn't your internet do this too a lot. Most would say yes they had issues but not to my extent. Then I had a friend come over who also had Time warner cable and seemed to agree with me that is just how Time warner cable is. He connected his laptop via hardwire into the modem and had issues getting to web pages. It was like shooting in the dark if the web page would come up or not. He said Time warner cable was bad for him, but this was even worse. I thought well I guess maybe I got a bad draw but cable is still mostly like this. Should maybe be a bit better but I wasn't going to get much better service if I called.

Then I ran into a Time warner cable Business class employee at my chess club and told him my story. He said that's just residential and that they don't need to uphold speed nor uptime. He said he wished he could help, but that was out of his hands. Though I could try my hand at CS and that he hoped they could help me with it. So I thought this really has been a pain and it would be nice if it had better uptime so I called Time warner cables customer service and was more or less told on the phone that it works fine it must be on my end and that there was no better ISP in my area anyway. This kind of got under my skin, so I pulled my AT&T phone out and decided to use it's 3G connection for my internet to see if it would work better. It was amazing to me how well it seemed to work, it was a far more stable connection than my cable line for internet. So I did that for about a month just to see what would happen, I used about 50GB on AT&T wireless on a unlimited data plan. It was almost how I thought the internet should be and then I thought, why am I even paying for cable internet anyways. So I called them and told them my story. They said first of all a phone connection was not ment to be used as your home internet and wired is faster. I said that's not what I am seeing and I would like to cut the cord. They then said that they would send some one to look at it.

I agreed because really I knew that if possible it was better to use wired. So the tech came out, rebooted the modem and used my PC to go to the Time warner cable speed test web page that showed me getting 20mbs download and 1mbs upload. He then said it was working better than what I am paying for. I told him to wait a second as I used it to go to google.com and boom 404. Went to bestbuy.com and boom 404. Then I tethered my AT&T cell phone via USB and went to those web sites and they loaded right on the spot. He didn't get what I did nor what I was trying to proof so I said he could leave. Mostly because I had desided that I would spilt usage between AT&T 3G and time warner cable to not suck up too much band with from AT&T. Though that didn't last long as I racked up 150GB enjoying using the internet on AT&T wireless. I don't know how much I used on time warner cable likely under 30GB though.

But I wanted faster speed, so I signed up for a Verizon unlimited data plan with 4G LTE. Though that had it's own set of issues it was still better than Time warner cable and I still have that service to this day. But that is a bit offtopic for now.

So as time went on, I got sick of paying for sometime that I could hardly use so I called Time warner cable again. This time I was told that I used a lot of internet and that cable isn't perfect. I said how much is a lot and they said 50GB was a lot. That up to just means that's the most I can get and as long as it works that's all they care about. (More or less telling me as long as you can get to the web page today at some time that they don't care.)

One day on my AT&T connection I went to a web site were some one had issues getting to web sites a lot like I did with there home internet and so some one said it could be packet loss. So I looked up ways to test it. I thought if that was the case I would find it to be like 10-20% like the other guy, but it was 58% to 60% every time on my Time warner cable internet line.

So I thought there was no way that could be right, so I called CS and when I told them they asked what is packet loss. I tried to explain it, but in truth I didn't know much about it as well because I am not a network person. They then told me only Business class gets 0% packet loss and that it doesn't matter for my residential connection so long as it "works". They then hung up.

I called 10 more times about the packet loss issue and all I got was they didn't know what that was, it didn't matter or my modem was fine. I was also dealing with Verizon tech support at the time so I was at the point again that I thought the internet just sucked and was still in testing/beta or something among those lines. AT&T then killed my unlimited data line for tethering after over a year of 100-150GB months. So I was left with two broken connections. How ever Verizon did fix it after many months on the phone with tech support and FCC intervention.

They after a few more times of calling did send a tech out and he replaced the modem saying it was bad. Still I had 58-60% packet loss and it went on and on intil I called and got one more tech who looked at the line going to the home. It was a used line that was spilt in half right down the middle. Replacing that helped a lot, But I still had to reboot the modem every day. Though my speeds no longer droped to sub 1mbs download nor did I have packet loss that high. But the issues never really went away.

Time warner cable left there network in the area to rot in he11. In Jan 2014 I moved out and disconnected service. It took hours to take back there stuff due to only two employees at there local office dealing with a line out the door.

member for 2 years, 327 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by quixote See Profile

• Location: Port Hueneme,Ventura,CA
Good "none"
Bad "monopoly"
Overall "atrocious service at a high price"

Roadrunner / Time Warner Cable is the only option in my neighborhood. I don't need TV for anything, but I can't get just broadband. I'm paying for "premium" high-speed service, and my speeds are regularly 10% or even less of what's in the contract. I think, maybe, four times in five years have I seen it briefly hit the level I'm paying for.

I contacted RoadRunner tech support once because I needed information on potentially getting a static IP. The responder didn't even know what that meant, nor did the question ever get moved on up to someone who did. (The issue was resolved by my hosting service.)

On some forums, my contributions have sometimes been refused because IPs in the range used by SoCal RoadRunner are at the top of the list of known spam sources. Apparently, they do absolutely nothing about this. (Although it hasn't happened over the past year.) (Update 2011-04-24: It became a huge problem again in mid-2010.)

Knock on wood, I haven't had any outright repair issues so far. If I did, judging by their level of service and responsiveness generally, I'd have to move to get broadband again.

=================================================

Update, 2011-04-24: A couple of months ago, I started participating in a FCC / Samknows (»www.testmyisp.com/) program in which the government is getting data on the actual speed of broadband connections.

Strangely, the FCC lets the ISP know who is participating. Before I even had the supplied router hooked up, my IP changed, I suddenly never had problems being blocked as a spam address, and my connection speeds were regularly as advertised (1 mbps up, 8-10mbps down). Rarely, they'd fall all the way down to what used to be the fastest speeds I ever saw in the old days (eg 1 mbps down).

I'm sure this sudden I-get-what-I-pay-for has nothing to do with the FCC watching.... :rollseyes:

==================================================

Aaannnd another update: Feb 11, 2014. I had to move recently and my new address can also get service from ATT. Sort of like having a choice between Dracula and Frankenstein, but, hey, choice! So I was going to cancel service and switch. Suddenly, Time Warner cared that they were losing a customer. They gave me a much better deal at the new place ... ....

But when the bill arrived they charged me BOTH for new service installation and transfer of old service, and charged me my old monopoly monthly fee, $64.99, for standard service that is supposed to cost $39.99 in this location without any special deal at all. (I've always used my own equipment, so rental of theirs is not included in that.)

Cue hours of my life lost on the phone. Customer service reps "fix" the problem, and then the bill shows up with the SAME DAMN OVERCHARGES. And, of course, since it's all on the phone, TWC can keep changing their story and there's no paper trail except my notes.

I finally started doing everything in writing, refused to deal with them by phone, and practically had to make a Federal case out of it. Once there was a threat of legal involvement, they got an actual human being to look at the whole thing and it was resolved.

There aren't enough negative numbers to rate their service.

Comments:

Review by kylekim See Profile

• Location: Flushing,Queens,NY
Good "Admittedly, it's a fairly reliable service, uptime wise."
Bad "I feel that RR has ridiculously low upload speeds now compared to what's available."
Overall "Even though there are issues here and there, it's not enough to switch to DSL. FiOS on the other hand ... still waiting ..."

It was a sad day when I found out I had to leave Long Island and move back into Queens. I was totally and absolutely spoiled by Optimum Online. With the Boost service, I wasn't even chomping at the bit to get FiOS. 30/5 service is extremely hard to give up.

Now, since I'm back in Queens and in an area where FiOS is not available, there are only two choices. RR or Verizon DSL. Given both options and neither pulling the capping tactic that OOL employs to uploaders, I opted for RR.

Download speeds have been cranked up since I last used the service. Upload speeds are dismal. And it's not just about P2P usage. It's also for playing online games and being able to sustain more than one user at a time. Hopefully, RR can at least up the upload speed to 1-2Mbit a second. At that point, I would have less to complain about since I actually prefer their TV service over what I've used on Cablevision and what I've seen on FiOS TV.

Update - 7/1/10

I'm going to be honest. The Internet service has been quite reliable. I can't recall a full blown outage off the top of my head. Right now, I'm dealing with speed issues but before the sudden decrease in speed during peak hours (past 2-3 weeks), I was getting speeds well above my "package". Sadly, because of the lack of real competition, there is still quite a difference between what FiOS offers where it is available compared to RR.

Did upgrade to the 15m/768k package recently. Still would much prefer 15/2 to be the standard. And they really need to drop the price/make wideband available as a package. 50/5 isn't groundbreaking speeds ...

Update - 1/28/14

So I've been on TWCs 30/5 package for awhile now and I'm still not really satisfied as a customer. I can almost expect an issue biannually that I need to troubleshoot with tech support. Admittedly, thanks to this forum and the explosion of social media, problems eventually gets fixed with some poking and prodding (squeaky wheel yadda yadda).

When there are no issues, for the most part, the connection is stable. But when a problem arises, it takes awhile to troubleshoot and fix. Sometimes lasting weeks. But support has been helpful and did fix every issue I've had.

I really wish FiOS was an option. As an occasional photographer, the upload speeds available on FiOS would speed things up quite a bit.

Also, I finally dumped that overpriced STB DVR and went the CableCARD route. That alone was a totally different struggle with TWC but again, it was resolved.

Comments:

Review by DigitalTexan See Profile

• Location: Waco,Mclennan,TX
Good "The modem has not caught on fire."
Bad "Unreliable, Slow, Poor Customer Service, Nonexistent Tech Support, Overpriced, Unable to Provide The Advertised Service."
Overall "Avoid like the plague if you live in north Waco. Move somewhere with Grande if internet is important."

I ordered the Time Warner 30/5 package two years ago. For the first year, the service was decent. It would disconnect sometimes and slow down a bit during peak times, but it was stable enough.

I later moved out of the apartment I was living in to a duplex a few blocks away. That's when the issues started. For two months, I was being billed for services at both addresses even though I informed them I was moving and watched them disconnect the service from the old address. It took six months to get a refund ($138) for their billing error.

For the last six months, the connection is wildly unstable with highly variable speeds and huge amounts of packet loss during peak times. They have overloaded their infrastructure and do not plan on fixing it or crediting the bill of any of their subscribers. I have been hung up on by tech support more than once. Tech support believes that the issue is on my network even though I've provided plenty of evidence to the contrary including the fact that my neighbors are experiencing the same problems. I've been promised calls from tech support that I never received.

Time Warner are a bunch of crooks. They cannot provide the service they're selling and are out to take your money.

Comments:

Review by jmschu02 See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "They know they are horrible, when they were InsightBB they were good"
Bad "Connection Speeds aren't reliable, overselling nodes is rampade"
Overall "Pray that you don't have to use them"

I've been a loyal InsightBB customer for around 10 years, I have always used my own equipment. Although with Insight there were some bumps in the road after enough technical support calls a technician would actually resolve the issue. Sometimes it might of taken upwards of 2 weeks but never more than that.

With Insight's acquisition by Time Warner I now have been putting in technical calls continually. My bandwidth is suppose to be 50.0 downstream/ 5.0 upstream. However, since my node has been oversold (told to me by multiple technicians/and phone support operators) I actually receive between 18.4Mb/s down and 56.8Mb/s down it is much more common for the low side of this spectrum. My upstream is a solid 5.6Mb/s at all times.

I've now had 5+ on-site appointments for my internal network to be tested to prove that i've replaced all internal lines. My signals have been perfect every time I call or have a technician out. However, my speeds are still "fluctuating".

Finally after around 1 month of this back and forth they admitted that the issue is that my node is oversold and thereby overloaded. However, I was told within 1 month and 1 week they would break my node up into 2 nodes solving this issue. It has now been 2 months and 2 weeks, i've had to continually contact them (never the other way around). They are also now not showing up for my scheduled appointments...

I am at the end of my rope with them and will be moving to AT&T U-Verse although the maximum speeds in my area are only 18Mb/s they apparently actually give you the speed you pay for.

TimeWarner has yet to give my account a discount for the lack of meeting even the minimum required bandwidth for a 50.0 service which is 80% of the connection (40.0Mb/s)...For $172 a month to be jerked around like this, as well as my whole node being shorted on service is pathetic. It is worse than a snake oil salesmen at this point.

Comments:
DigitalTexan

join:2014-01-11
Waco, TX

I understand the feeling...

I'm having similar, but worse issues with them. High packet loss caused by them overselling nodes in my area. Unfortunately, they're the only game in town. AT&T doesn't offer U-Verse, the fastest AT&T connection is a capped 6Mbit DSL line. I hope you have better luck than I do trying to get a resolution.
jmschu02
join:2005-08-20
Louisville, KY

Re: I understand the feeling...

Yeah, i've been through a ton of tech support at this point. I'm also having packet lose because of the node being oversold. AT&T U-Verse is in my town but only 16Mb/s which is nothing compared to the 56.6Mb\s I used to get before they messed up my node.

Review by zach1008 See Profile

• Location: Florence,Boone,KY
Good "doesn't go out during bad weather"
Bad "price, product performace, customer service"
Overall "since they acquired insight, rates have gone up and service down"

·Cincinnati Bell
Had been an insight customer for years with tv and internet. Never had much of a complaint. The tv service was adequate and the internet worked. Yes, it is cable so the latency is a little higher than I would like and when all the neighbors hop on at night the speed did drop some. Once the added additional tiers of service were offered I upgraded to 20meg service. I work from home as an IT professional so this helped me out. They will not offer a static ip address which was unfortunate. However, as everyone knows, gone are the days of Insight and overall pretty decent service and customer service. Time Warner is in town now and it is a complete different story. I had not had my rates change much over 6 years with insight. Just received a letter from Time Warner about 30 days ago that my rates are going up. My bill stepped up about 30 dollars per month for the same tv and internet service I have had for several years now. in the last 6 weeks I have had at least 8 outages of all services. Anytime I have called they just tell me there is an outage and techs are working on it. I shared my frustrations with one agent thanking them for charging me more money and provider lower quality of service. Typical enterprise mentality. Fioptics in being installed in the form of FTTN so I think it will be worth my chances to give them a try. Time warner whole home DVR is constantly freezing, rebooting, not recording and just is a plain PITA. I do completely agree with others in this site that we need better competition in the Cincinnati Area.

Comments:

Review by BangBang See Profile

• Location: Fairview,Bergen,NJ
Bad "SDV tuner sucks"

Using a cablecard with Ceton tuner and STA1520 Cisco SDV tuner. Constantly having to reboot the Cisco to regain most used channel. Replaced the SDV tuner 2x already. No other options for me:(

Comments:

Review by mcgrory See Profile

• Location: Cary,Wake,NC
Good "Can troublshoot your connection online, better than anyone else with Cable Cards, few outages."
Bad "Very Expensive, especially in an area where they have Uverse and town thinking of creating own broadband."
Overall "TV stations can take up to 4 Channels, SDV doesn't work well, so no clue why they need new tech to get to 100mb! Very expensive"

Uses a Ubee Gateway, seems to charge you twice for whole house internet. Cisco M-Cards are easy to intall over the phone unlike some MSO's but Time Warner lazy about putting copyright flag on everything, which wasn't FCC's intention and other operators don't do. (See TiVo discussion board for example.) Phones, tabs start not making connections when 5-6 devices online, wired or wireless!
TWC blacks out programming providers all the time . . but then after a very long time back down so nothing is gained for the subscriber.
Will try to make a service call any time you report a problem, but if you fight with them enough, they will fix it from their RR HQ with a signal.
TWC DVR is bad.
Constantly marketing to get you to try things like Security services.

Since they use SDV, you need a tuning adapter for cable.
Offers MacAfee, few other perks and lots of HD space/email accounts.
No 3D
Gets most networks on mobile device (ESPN3, Showtime, etc.)
Program guide a nightmare because of duplication of channels for no reason (OTA from 1-100, 2 SD's anywhere from 101-1498, HD's over 1500, Premium multiplex channels are often carried only on the 300-500 tier, so if you just look at the HD channels you never see them. Channels go up into the 1900's!
Charge more than they should for "nominal fee" items like cable cards.
But again, cable and internet blackouts are EXTREMELY rare. Once or twice a year.

Comments:

Review by timmyh13 See Profile

• Location: Valley Village,Los Angeles,CA

Was getting the advertised 20 Mbps up until September. It's been a consistent 14 to 16 Mbps since.
Very disappointing. Then my monthly cost went up without notice by $10. dollars. After 3 or 4 phone calls to customer service, a supervisor adjusted my bill back to the old rate.
Looking into other options for internet service.

Comments:

Review by Summit See Profile

• Location: Marion,Marion,OH
Good "Fast and Stable at any time of day!"
Bad "After contract was up, they automatically renewed at a higher price ......"
Overall "They are going back to their shady ways here in Marion!"

UPDATE May 21, 2013:
They have changed their way of renewing your contracts. When ours ended, they automatically renewed ours for a higher rate with everything still the same. Called and tried to get our Free Wifi with the Extreme Internet Package that we already have and they wanted to charge us an extra $10 a month on top of what they already raised it......

UPDATE Jan. 10, 2013:
We have Digital Cable and Extreme 30/5 Internet. Have had this Speed Internet since it came out. Love it! Never a slow down.

UPDATE July 8, 2012:
Been well over a year and have had ZERO ISSUES! I get my full 30/5 anytime day or night. Couldnt be happier!

UPDATE May 28, 2011:
Has been Rock Solid since my Last Update. About three weeks ago, I had upgraded to Wideband D3 (30/5). We had a little hiccup at first install, but that is to be expected, since this is all New to the Techs and TWC. The Tech I had even came to my House on his OWN Time and worked on it until he figured out what was wrong! How is that for service? Since he got it fixed, my speeds have been ROCK SOLID! Couldnt be Happier!! Thanks TWC!

UPDATE March 16, 2010:
Well, for the last 5-6 Months, its back to Good Late at night, then Crawl during the day....

UPDATE March 28, 2008:
They did something around here and it finally WORKS! I get right at advertised speeds, anytime of day or night.

member for 9.5 years, 4900 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

Expect higher rates.

>When ours ended, they automatically renewed ours for a higher rate with everything still the same.
That's one of the great things about cable, the constant rate increases!