Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by DinnerOut See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "The price at 34.99 is OK"
Bad "Their customer service is awful"
Overall "I'm scared when and if it tuns into Comcast"

In a new place, own my own modem. The service has been alright.

Their billing and customer service is awful. Updated an auto pay credit card and they still billed my old card, took an act of Congress to get it refunded, and they refund the wrong card.

I am very close to calling WOW.

Comments:

Review by fritzeflink See Profile

• Location: Gardena,Los Angeles,CA
Bad "Deceptive Speed Claims"
Overall "They're cheating"

I have the Standard internet from them with "up to" 15 MBs download. According to dslreports.com I get about 3-7 Mbs depending on the time of the day. When I download from youtube and calculate the speed there, its about the same. When downloading multiple files, the top speed is correctly split up between the files, so I am getting consistent speed results with multiple methods. Yet when complaining to them, the told me to go their website "http://speedtest.west.rr.com/" which, when looking at my browser's history, even identifies itself as "Time Warner Cable Bandwidth Speed Test" and BANG! Withing less than half a second that "speedstest" shows that I'm getting 16 MBs. Wow, even 1 Mbs free, aint TWC great!

So my conclusion is I'm paying 50$ a months for crappy speed and they're lying in my face. I'm checking out ATT DSL now, which is the only other option in my area.

Comments:
mtn_area

join:2013-11-20
Crestline, CA

Well

I'm going to go ahead and be that guy. You are getting 15mbit within Time Warner's network. They make no guarantee for speeds outside of their network because it's not in their control. If a link is saturated at a Level3/Cogent/XO/younameit POP then it'll slow things down, no matter the ISP going through it.

Beach Area

@rr.com

Re: Well

I'm going to be the other guy. Why would someone want to base their tests only on the Time Warner network?
bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY

Re: Well

To be fair it is listed as UP TO. And any other ISP could have the same issue. I would venture ATT DSL would be slower.
smcallah

join:2004-08-05
Home
Because TWC has no control outside their network. Yet they can achieve the speeds they sell.

If you run a speed test to a site and only get 7meg, that doesn't prove you're not getting 15meg. Far from it. You have no idea if the speed test server is overloaded or there happens to be a congestion problem getting to it outside of TWC's network.

Many times you can download 2 or more things at once that add up to 15megs when you can only get maybe 7megs from 1 of the sources at a time.

That is how ALL NETWORKS function.

Review by jarred125 See Profile

• Location: Amelia,Clermont,OH
Good "Fast service when it works!"
Bad "First line support is TERRIBLE, blame customers equipment is the mantra."
Overall "When it works it's great"

I've had TWC for years, sadly out here there is little options going. For the past 2.5 years I have had very few problems, in fact some of the times my problems were of my own making. Pricing is high, $92 for 50/5 internet alone is stupid high compared to other services, but they are the only game around here that gives me those speeds. My problems lately seem to stem from a local issue with some equipment at the local office (per notes from a tech who called me). However, Time Warner support REFUSES to do anything but blame the customers equipment. They do not listen when you have explained that you have already rebooted the modem, they do not understand that signal levels are viewable from their modems (SB 6120) and insist that when you can see the levels you MUST be getting that information from somewhere else.

Every service has problems, it is how they deal with those problems that makes the company great or not worth the hassle. Time Warner desperately needs to fix their support services, they are abysmal! Blame the customer equipment is the first step, I am fortunate to have two laptops (and a couple other boxes) to test with as I have been told numerous times that it has to be my laptop, etc etc etc.

Bottom line, TWC GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER REGARDING SUPPORT! We pay through the nose for a service and we should not be treated like the enemy when we call in.

Comments:

Review by MrBungle87 See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Decent bandwidth"
Bad "Overpriced; decaying infrastructure; poorly trained sales and tech reps"
Overall "If your choice is between TWC and DSL, you already know what your better option probably is"

·Frontier Communi..
Signed up for Extreme (30/5) Internet, having bought my own Motorola SB6121 modem. Once signed up and provisioned the modem wouldn't sync and turns out was still not activated. Had to call TWC several different times just to get transferred to a higher level tech. The tech finally determined the modem hadn't been "entered into" their system properly. After the requisite wasting of my time on the phone I was finally activated. Speed tests yield around 34Mbit download (during non-peak hours) and 5 to 5.75Mbit upload. Do note, however, that peak time speeds were cut by about half, taking me down to around 15-17Mbit with some packet loss.

The only positive thing I can really say about TWC Internet in our area is it's faster and typically more stable than DSL from Frontier. Upload speeds, while still a paltry 5Mbit, are approximately 5 times faster than what we got from Frontier's VDSL. However, the cable plant in this area has been neglected for quite some time and shows obvious signs of wear and tear.

After the promo period expires, I'm given to understand the price of the 30/5 tier increases to $74.99 a month (but TWC is adept at being VERY tight=lipped about non-promo pricing, even if you walk into an office and ask them face-to-face).

Bottom line? I tried it for a month, decided it wasn't worth it at present time, and will probably just tether my phone's LTE until either Frontier or Time Warner gets their shit together.

member for 1.9 years, 559 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

FitzDaMan

join:2014-02-26
USA

TWC Reward Card Quailifications.

On DEC 2,2013, I had Extreme Internet(100MBPS),and TWO DVRS("Household Package Bundle" for Living Room/Bedroom) installed by TWC(no phone service). I was a NEW Customer. The Technician said I was good to go to obtain the Samsung Galaxy Tablet IF I adhered to the Requirements:
1) Keep Bill Payments ONTIME for 3 months.
2) Present an old "WOW" Bill terminating their service and what we had.
3) DO NOT drop any Services Installed.
4) Register WITHIN 30 days AFTER the Installation to obtain the "Rewards Redemption Number" for the Card.

HERE'S what you ALL should watch out for...I feel.

The Promo for THAT Tablet itself ENDED on DEC.18,2013.
To REGISTER within 30 days DID NOT and IS NOT a valid,legal statement to obtain the Tablet. I registered on DEC.23rd,2013(WELL within the allotted time frame of 30 days,I THOUGHT) and obtained a Redemption Number THINKING I had applied within the terms. WRONG answer Rick. They didnot inform me, ONCE the Promotion ended it ALSO took the warning of the 30 days registration WITH IT to quailify. So, in essence, I had ONLY(DEC 2 - 18th) to get my butt online and REGISTER, to which it's a DIRECT contradiction in terms, I feel. So, I caution you all that are applying for their "NEW" deal for the next Promo.....better ask,... I didn't.... and now I'm screwed "..........Samsung Galaxy Tab® 3 7.0 and Samsung Galaxy Note® 8.0 offers expire 1/31/14 or when supplies run out, whichever occurs first. Samsung Galaxy Tab® 3 7.0 is available to new subscribers and..........."

Now they say I am ONLY good to get the $150 Visa Card. HUH??? I AT LEAST thought I/we would of gotten "Grandfathered" in since the DEC 2nd Installation was so close to the Expiration of the Promo on DEC.18th. It's when the Promo for THAT PARTICULAR phone ended.....NOT for the Registration of the Rewards Card Requirements to obtain the Tablet.....I thought. What am i missing? I dunno.

Just switched to Frontier from TWC

I also posted on your Frontier review. I found TWC to be unusable at times despite the speedtest.net results I was getting. Switching to Frontier has eliminated those issues. I can actually work from home reliably now, and streaming is actually usable. I had the Extreme (30/5) package from TWC, but they recently notified me I would start having to pay $77.95 per month soon, so I decided to leave. Given the Comcrap merger will likely include bandwidth caps, I thought it was best to be ahead of the curve. If Frontier doesn't work out for me long term, then Google Fiber coming to town is my only hope.

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

I hear you. Frontier has better local techs and they seem to give more of a shit than TWC does. It's just unfortunate that Frontier can't EVER seem to resolve their capacity issues. I realize ISPs don't plan for everyone to be using 100% of their connection all the time, but the peak-hour bandwidth issues with Frontier make it pretty miserable to do anything online (especially when pings jump up to 900ms).

Google Fiber seems like the only hope for this area.

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

Ironically, after praising Frontier today, of course I have no service tonight. I am posting this from TWC because I hadn't cancelled yet. Frontier tech support cannot tell me why my Internet is down. Apparently my options are snappy performance and middling reliability or vice versa, but not both. When it is working, my pings are still sub 30ms. Come on, Google Fiber!

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

What package do you have? I have Ultra (I think) which is 24/2 VDSL and we've had about the same reliability as when we were on ADSL (7/1)--which is to say, crappy.

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

I HAD Ultimate which is 24/2. The DSL connections to the DSLAM were up, but it wasn't passing any IP traffic past there. I called to cancel today because I work from home frequently, and I cannot rely on flaky technology. Anyway, the CSR admitted that they had been having a lot of outages in my area and offered me a $5 discount on the service to stay. I refused because it doesn't matter how little it might cost if the service is not up when I need it. TWC, for all its other issues, is up pretty much all the time.

When I had ADSL (7M/768k) with Verizon at my old house, it was rock solid, and honestly, perfectly usable for anything I need to do on a regular basis. I was hoping the VDSL solution from Frontier would be like that.

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

My dad works from home, too, and depends on a stable (not fast, mind you, just stable) connection but both Frontier and TWC couldn't meet that standard. Frontier is definitely the less reliable of the two, but we had dropped packets, low peak hour speeds, etc. with TWC, as well. So...what other options are there? AT&T? They won't even bring U-Verse here. It's a farce.

Review by aod626 See Profile

• Location: Riverside,Riverside,CA
Bad "not recommended "

worst internet 100/5 its what i should be getting but ps3 showing 28/4 online gaming ps3 ....switching to fios

Comments:
dragonman300

join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PS3 speedtest not accurate

Ps3 speedtest is not very accurate. For more accurate speed test, use the PC and go to speedtest.net
Curious about Sprint improved 3G and growing 4G LTE network? Then check it out at www.s4gru.com
korgman

join:2004-03-16
Austin, TX

Re: PS3 speedtest not accurate

What he said. Also, if the PS3 is connected via wireless that can have an impact on speed.

why60loss

join:2012-09-20

I would go to FIOS

Even if that test was a mistake, go to FIOS anyway. better speeds for the money.

screw 5 mbs upload.
ke4pym
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

PS3 performance?

Really?

Can that thing even push 100 Mbps? I've found it's network stack to be pretty pathetic.
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

LOL

haha I dont got twc anymore but this review is crazy PS3 won't get full speeds lmfao

Review by Le Roy See Profile

• Location: High Point,Guilford,NC
Good "Pretty good speeds in real world usage. "
Bad "High prices for the speed"
Overall "If it's the only option get it, otherwise check if similar speeds are avaliable else where for cheaper"

·CableOne
I moved to a residence that already had Time Warner Cable existing to Pre Sales Information and Install Co-ordination are unknown. This is why I selected the middle option for those.

I've been here since August of 2013, currently it's February of 2014. We pay around $250 a month for our cable service. This includes all channels except the Starz package. We tried to call them to get some of those options knocked down but I've had better luck talking to a tree. So I began doing research on what else is available in the area when I found North State. They're offering an 80/30Mbps connection for the low low price of $40 per month. Switching next week. Together with similar channel options and faster Internet I'll be paying over $100 less per month.

For the time that I have been with Time Warner Cable the service has been extremely reliable. The only few times I lost connectivity on the Internet was easily solved after I rebooted the modem. I'd say that's happened twice since I've been here and I have never had to call Tech Support to resolve any issues. My speeds have been consistent throughout the entire day. I download games via Steam, digital movies and other large files regularly and it maxes out the connection speed I pay for on a regular basis.

Comments:

Review by why60loss See Profile

• Location: Wake Forest,Wake,NC
Good "It was better than DSL "
Bad "60% packet loss, hardly ever got the upto speed, tech support=useless"
Overall "It may be better than DSL, but it still really bad"

·Verizon Wireless..
I first signed up for Time warner cable in 2011 with a internet, TV and phone package for 99 a month, though I had used them before then and had them also after getting rid of AOL. I was told the install would be free, but then the tech wanted to charge for it due to more work needing to be done. Though even with that it only took less than 45min to set up and the internet did seem to work well after basic tests so he left. At the time I did get the at the time 10/1 speed I signed up for, but then as the days went by I began to have issues.

After two weeks I found my self rebooting the modem (The one Time warner gave me) almost every day to reconnect to the internet. Even after reboot web pages also would give me 404/5xx errors very often. I thought it was with my desktop, notebook and other notebook or that the internet just doesn't work that well because growing up I had to fix issues like this every day to very week so it had become the norm for me. I had only had cable, DSL and 56k so I thought it was okay for cable to need daily trouble shooting because at lest it somewhat kind of worked. Unlike AOL and DSL. In the case of DSL it would be down just about every day and I never got the "upto" speed. So I thought that 5min per day and 4-5hours of total nonworking down time was how cable internet was and that is just how it is. I really hated having to download any big files (2-4GB) because in most cases it would take all day and clog my connection, so I hated stuff like Steam and updates because I thought it was far to taxing on my middle of the road plain jane internet connection.

But then as the months went by I started to think how much of a pain this was, when most of the time the internet was really fast when I used my notebook at other places. It was night and day really. 404 type errors every other time on my home connection, yet on AT&T wifi 99% of the time it took less than one sec to get on web sites. At first I brushed it off as good luck on there part and thought that couldn't be the way it was most of the time. Stupid I know, but it's what I really thought at the time.

But as I had more and more guest that would ask to use my internet and then complain it wasn't working good/at all. I would ask something along the lines of, Is it just how cable is or doesn't your internet do this too a lot. Most would say yes they had issues but not to my extent. Then I had a friend come over who also had Time warner cable and seemed to agree with me that is just how Time warner cable is. He connected his laptop via hardwire into the modem and had issues getting to web pages. It was like shooting in the dark if the web page would come up or not. He said Time warner cable was bad for him, but this was even worse. I thought well I guess maybe I got a bad draw but cable is still mostly like this. Should maybe be a bit better but I wasn't going to get much better service if I called.

Then I ran into a Time warner cable Business class employee at my chess club and told him my story. He said that's just residential and that they don't need to uphold speed nor uptime. He said he wished he could help, but that was out of his hands. Though I could try my hand at CS and that he hoped they could help me with it. So I thought this really has been a pain and it would be nice if it had better uptime so I called Time warner cables customer service and was more or less told on the phone that it works fine it must be on my end and that there was no better ISP in my area anyway. This kind of got under my skin, so I pulled my AT&T phone out and decided to use it's 3G connection for my internet to see if it would work better. It was amazing to me how well it seemed to work, it was a far more stable connection than my cable line for internet. So I did that for about a month just to see what would happen, I used about 50GB on AT&T wireless on a unlimited data plan. It was almost how I thought the internet should be and then I thought, why am I even paying for cable internet anyways. So I called them and told them my story. They said first of all a phone connection was not ment to be used as your home internet and wired is faster. I said that's not what I am seeing and I would like to cut the cord. They then said that they would send some one to look at it.

I agreed because really I knew that if possible it was better to use wired. So the tech came out, rebooted the modem and used my PC to go to the Time warner cable speed test web page that showed me getting 20mbs download and 1mbs upload. He then said it was working better than what I am paying for. I told him to wait a second as I used it to go to google.com and boom 404. Went to bestbuy.com and boom 404. Then I tethered my AT&T cell phone via USB and went to those web sites and they loaded right on the spot. He didn't get what I did nor what I was trying to proof so I said he could leave. Mostly because I had desided that I would spilt usage between AT&T 3G and time warner cable to not suck up too much band with from AT&T. Though that didn't last long as I racked up 150GB enjoying using the internet on AT&T wireless. I don't know how much I used on time warner cable likely under 30GB though.

But I wanted faster speed, so I signed up for a Verizon unlimited data plan with 4G LTE. Though that had it's own set of issues it was still better than Time warner cable and I still have that service to this day. But that is a bit offtopic for now.

So as time went on, I got sick of paying for sometime that I could hardly use so I called Time warner cable again. This time I was told that I used a lot of internet and that cable isn't perfect. I said how much is a lot and they said 50GB was a lot. That up to just means that's the most I can get and as long as it works that's all they care about. (More or less telling me as long as you can get to the web page today at some time that they don't care.)

One day on my AT&T connection I went to a web site were some one had issues getting to web sites a lot like I did with there home internet and so some one said it could be packet loss. So I looked up ways to test it. I thought if that was the case I would find it to be like 10-20% like the other guy, but it was 58% to 60% every time on my Time warner cable internet line.

So I thought there was no way that could be right, so I called CS and when I told them they asked what is packet loss. I tried to explain it, but in truth I didn't know much about it as well because I am not a network person. They then told me only Business class gets 0% packet loss and that it doesn't matter for my residential connection so long as it "works". They then hung up.

I called 10 more times about the packet loss issue and all I got was they didn't know what that was, it didn't matter or my modem was fine. I was also dealing with Verizon tech support at the time so I was at the point again that I thought the internet just sucked and was still in testing/beta or something among those lines. AT&T then killed my unlimited data line for tethering after over a year of 100-150GB months. So I was left with two broken connections. How ever Verizon did fix it after many months on the phone with tech support and FCC intervention.

They after a few more times of calling did send a tech out and he replaced the modem saying it was bad. Still I had 58-60% packet loss and it went on and on intil I called and got one more tech who looked at the line going to the home. It was a used line that was spilt in half right down the middle. Replacing that helped a lot, But I still had to reboot the modem every day. Though my speeds no longer droped to sub 1mbs download nor did I have packet loss that high. But the issues never really went away.

Time warner cable left there network in the area to rot in he11. In Jan 2014 I moved out and disconnected service. It took hours to take back there stuff due to only two employees at there local office dealing with a line out the door.

Comments:

Review by quixote See Profile

• Location: Port Hueneme,Ventura,CA
Good "none"
Bad "monopoly"
Overall "atrocious service at a high price"

Roadrunner / Time Warner Cable is the only option in my neighborhood. I don't need TV for anything, but I can't get just broadband. I'm paying for "premium" high-speed service, and my speeds are regularly 10% or even less of what's in the contract. I think, maybe, four times in five years have I seen it briefly hit the level I'm paying for.

I contacted RoadRunner tech support once because I needed information on potentially getting a static IP. The responder didn't even know what that meant, nor did the question ever get moved on up to someone who did. (The issue was resolved by my hosting service.)

On some forums, my contributions have sometimes been refused because IPs in the range used by SoCal RoadRunner are at the top of the list of known spam sources. Apparently, they do absolutely nothing about this. (Although it hasn't happened over the past year.) (Update 2011-04-24: It became a huge problem again in mid-2010.)

Knock on wood, I haven't had any outright repair issues so far. If I did, judging by their level of service and responsiveness generally, I'd have to move to get broadband again.

=================================================

Update, 2011-04-24: A couple of months ago, I started participating in a FCC / Samknows (»www.testmyisp.com/) program in which the government is getting data on the actual speed of broadband connections.

Strangely, the FCC lets the ISP know who is participating. Before I even had the supplied router hooked up, my IP changed, I suddenly never had problems being blocked as a spam address, and my connection speeds were regularly as advertised (1 mbps up, 8-10mbps down). Rarely, they'd fall all the way down to what used to be the fastest speeds I ever saw in the old days (eg 1 mbps down).

I'm sure this sudden I-get-what-I-pay-for has nothing to do with the FCC watching.... :rollseyes:

==================================================

Aaannnd another update: Feb 11, 2014. I had to move recently and my new address can also get service from ATT. Sort of like having a choice between Dracula and Frankenstein, but, hey, choice! So I was going to cancel service and switch. Suddenly, Time Warner cared that they were losing a customer. They gave me a much better deal at the new place ... ....

But when the bill arrived they charged me BOTH for new service installation and transfer of old service, and charged me my old monopoly monthly fee, $64.99, for standard service that is supposed to cost $39.99 in this location without any special deal at all. (I've always used my own equipment, so rental of theirs is not included in that.)

Cue hours of my life lost on the phone. Customer service reps "fix" the problem, and then the bill shows up with the SAME DAMN OVERCHARGES. And, of course, since it's all on the phone, TWC can keep changing their story and there's no paper trail except my notes.

I finally started doing everything in writing, refused to deal with them by phone, and practically had to make a Federal case out of it. Once there was a threat of legal involvement, they got an actual human being to look at the whole thing and it was resolved.

There aren't enough negative numbers to rate their service.

Comments:

Review by kylekim See Profile

• Location: Flushing,Queens,NY
Good "Admittedly, it's a fairly reliable service, uptime wise."
Bad "I feel that RR has ridiculously low upload speeds now compared to what's available."
Overall "Even though there are issues here and there, it's not enough to switch to DSL. FiOS on the other hand ... still waiting ..."

It was a sad day when I found out I had to leave Long Island and move back into Queens. I was totally and absolutely spoiled by Optimum Online. With the Boost service, I wasn't even chomping at the bit to get FiOS. 30/5 service is extremely hard to give up.

Now, since I'm back in Queens and in an area where FiOS is not available, there are only two choices. RR or Verizon DSL. Given both options and neither pulling the capping tactic that OOL employs to uploaders, I opted for RR.

Download speeds have been cranked up since I last used the service. Upload speeds are dismal. And it's not just about P2P usage. It's also for playing online games and being able to sustain more than one user at a time. Hopefully, RR can at least up the upload speed to 1-2Mbit a second. At that point, I would have less to complain about since I actually prefer their TV service over what I've used on Cablevision and what I've seen on FiOS TV.

Update - 7/1/10

I'm going to be honest. The Internet service has been quite reliable. I can't recall a full blown outage off the top of my head. Right now, I'm dealing with speed issues but before the sudden decrease in speed during peak hours (past 2-3 weeks), I was getting speeds well above my "package". Sadly, because of the lack of real competition, there is still quite a difference between what FiOS offers where it is available compared to RR.

Did upgrade to the 15m/768k package recently. Still would much prefer 15/2 to be the standard. And they really need to drop the price/make wideband available as a package. 50/5 isn't groundbreaking speeds ...

Update - 1/28/14

So I've been on TWCs 30/5 package for awhile now and I'm still not really satisfied as a customer. I can almost expect an issue biannually that I need to troubleshoot with tech support. Admittedly, thanks to this forum and the explosion of social media, problems eventually gets fixed with some poking and prodding (squeaky wheel yadda yadda).

When there are no issues, for the most part, the connection is stable. But when a problem arises, it takes awhile to troubleshoot and fix. Sometimes lasting weeks. But support has been helpful and did fix every issue I've had.

I really wish FiOS was an option. As an occasional photographer, the upload speeds available on FiOS would speed things up quite a bit.

Also, I finally dumped that overpriced STB DVR and went the CableCARD route. That alone was a totally different struggle with TWC but again, it was resolved.

Comments:

Review by DigitalTexan See Profile

• Location: Waco,Mclennan,TX
Good "The modem has not caught on fire."
Bad "Unreliable, Slow, Poor Customer Service, Nonexistent Tech Support, Overpriced, Unable to Provide The Advertised Service."
Overall "Avoid like the plague if you live in north Waco. Move somewhere with Grande if internet is important."

I ordered the Time Warner 30/5 package two years ago. For the first year, the service was decent. It would disconnect sometimes and slow down a bit during peak times, but it was stable enough.

I later moved out of the apartment I was living in to a duplex a few blocks away. That's when the issues started. For two months, I was being billed for services at both addresses even though I informed them I was moving and watched them disconnect the service from the old address. It took six months to get a refund ($138) for their billing error.

For the last six months, the connection is wildly unstable with highly variable speeds and huge amounts of packet loss during peak times. They have overloaded their infrastructure and do not plan on fixing it or crediting the bill of any of their subscribers. I have been hung up on by tech support more than once. Tech support believes that the issue is on my network even though I've provided plenty of evidence to the contrary including the fact that my neighbors are experiencing the same problems. I've been promised calls from tech support that I never received.

Time Warner are a bunch of crooks. They cannot provide the service they're selling and are out to take your money.