Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by thefoxbox See Profile

• Location: Irving,Dallas,TX
Good "Comcast was a positive... then Time-Warner came around."
Bad "Slower speed, horrible response rates, prices going up and up."
Overall "Sadly, no one else can provide me high-speed. I'm stuck, and hating it."

·ViaTalk
I enjoyed Verizon FiOS' reliable service for almost six years, then I moved out to an apartment which is locked in to a contract with TimeCrap Warner, like most apartments unfortunately. It's been a nightmare since day one. Packet loss, outages, slowdowns, inconsistent internet speeds are common, even after replacing all equipment and checking the signal strength of all lines inside the apartment. It's even worse since I work from home and when my Internet AND TV service both start messing up at the same time at least once a week, it basically kills my productivity.

I can't wait until I get a home so that I don't have to keep feeding this god-awful company.

Below is my review from 2006-2007:
Things were great. I was getting high-speed and the second-to-the-most-expensive cable package (2 premium packages and the rest of the junk) for $65.35 every month. My discounts were bigger than my monthly bill--pure heaven.

Then twelve months passed.

Now my bill is over $100 easily. It's horrible, but that's life.

What I don't like is the quality of cable service going down, down, down... as well as the speed.

Do all good things HAVE to come to an end?...

My speed was faster than any of my friends in Irving, TX.... but lately, it's horrible.... I have to resort to some.. tactics... to restore some order in this slow disorder that is Time-Warner. You let me down.

But, the stuff about outages, I haven't really had to deal with that--just non-stop problems with my DVR not actually showing any live video.

~~~

I dumped TimeWarner in December of '07 after they spontaneously suspended my Internet connection. One of my friends had caused spam mail to be sent out from my line and I wasn't aware of this. I was not called or notified about this and went without Internet for two days while they tried to "diagnose the problem." They reactivated my service but it was barely 25% of the speed it was before they messed with it. A huge disappointment, but now I have 20mbps down/5mbps up from Verizon for only 15 more a month. It was definitely worth it. Bye TWC!

(Updated ratings to reflect the final chapter of the service)

Comments:

Review by big_rock See Profile

• Location: Saint Cloud,Osceola,FL
Good "usually reliable"
Bad "services are over priced"
Overall "What's to like or not like? They're the only game in town"

·Bright House
·Charter
RoadRunner's cable internet is generally reliable. Speed for the most part is good. Would like to see more options as to speeds. You have to go for 6mgs or higher, or slow 384kbs. Lack of a spam filter is my biggest complaint. Everyone else has spam filter, why doesn't RoadRunner?

But my biggest complaint is Time-Warner's cable TV. Cable lineup sucks and is way overpriced. But they are the only game in town, so what happened to all the big talk about competition in cable TV?

12/28/2012
RoadRunner finally has a spam filter, not that it does much good. And yes, they now offer multiply speeds, but at a price, which is way too high, but it's better than DSL in my area, which is CenturyLink-don't even want to go there.

Comments:

Review by paulcan See Profile

• Location: Painesville,Lake,OH
Good "Cable is the best technology for delivering high speed"
Bad "Cable companies have a monopoly on the technology"
Overall "Time Warner has gotten a little better on speeds but still well below advertised speeds."

TWC is still exhibiting all the classic behaviors of a monopoly, high prices and low quality. Four years ago I paid 68.00 for internet and a TV service one step up from basic. About a year ago when I found I could drop the TV service to save $ 20.00 I did. Within 2 months they boosted my internet service by about 14.00. Just recently they gave me a choice to buy my own modem or start paying rental on the their modem they required me to replace my modem with 2 years ago. The modem they replaced mine with wasn't any more current than my modem was. The modem I just recently purchased to replace their modem with, so as not to give them $4.00 more per month, is more up to date. It is DocSys3, theirs is DocSys2. However, they apparently don't seem to use the newer technology. My speeds are just as slow as ever. So I sent yet another letter to the FCC explaining to them that monopolistic companies like TWC need to be put on a short leash.

I won't write the volumes I could about their telephone employees and tech people they send to your house. Suffice it to say they are either grossly misinformed by management or they are just dumber than rocks. It is just hard to tell which.

Old Review.

Time Warner suggests their high speed premium internet download speeds range from 13,000 kb/s to 15,000 kb/s. They also suggest their standard internet speeds are from 6,000 to 7,000 kb/s. In reality, speeds they deliver most of the time across the internet are about 25%, and often less than 25%, of those speeds. In short a good DSL service will rival them in speed.

Adelphia was my ISP until it was sold to Time Warner. I never thought Adelphia was all that great but Time Warner is much, much worse.

Adelphia speeds for standard service ranged consistently in the 4,000/6500 kb/s range. Soon after TW bought Adelphia, speeds dropped to around 1500 kb/s on average. I also experienced problems with my VOIP and television at the same time. TW also raised the rates about 5%.

I upgraded to Time Warner premium service 10 months ago to compensate for slower speeds Time Warner was delivering. For a while got speeds equal to about I had with standard Adelphia service. Then the premium speeds dropped to the 1500-2000 kb/s range and I also saw speeds as low as 435 kb/s.

During the ten months I paid for their premium internet service I never saw any speeds over 8,500 kb/s, and those times were rare.

I found after three or four service quality drop-outs that it normally takes over an hour to get speeds back to 4,000-6,000 kb/s. I could write several pages about their low quality help service. The short version is, to correct speed or line quality problems it takes 15-20 minutes on hold before talking to anyone. Once connected to live help, much more time is consumed from being passed on from one poorly trained help assistant to the next until an assistant with sufficient knowledge and authority tries to take care of the problem. Each time the user is passed on from one help assistant to the next, the user must restate the problem, Name, address, phone number, TW account number and last 4 SS# digits.

I know there are cable providers that provide a quality service for a reasonable price. Time Warner is just not one of them.

I believe that the reason is that to save money TW puts a tight budget on the amounts they have to pay long distance carriers, like Sprint and Verizon. They contract with these carriers for transporting signals beyond their local networks by purchasing bandwidth. Bandwidth is a volume concept, and the charge is basically for the number of bits transported in a given time.

In order to stay within their bandwidth budget, they throttle the speed of the signal so that fewer bits per second are transported.

Most people know that AOL bought Time Warner a few years ago. I had AOL dialup service 12 to 15 years ago. AOL had a very similar system of operation back then. That was and still is, advertise the heck out of what the technology is capable of but not purchase the required equipment and services sufficient to deliver an acceptable level of service.

In those days the web could only be accessed by home users with dialup service. AOL users often had to dial an access number up to 10 or more times to log on, only to be disconnected a few moments later. AOL help service was also as bad then as now too.

Comments:
Fleeced

join:2012-10-06

Slow RR

TWC does use Docsis 3 modems, just not for Docsis 2 speeds. Sounds like you're having an issue with signal strengths, have you done any actual troubleshooting?

alibaba

I'm having the same issues with Time Warner

In the past 3 months they have increased my internet bill by over 16. Can't wait to see what the bill will be next month. I pulled out my old cable modem and replaced the crappy one they orginally gave me.

But I think you wasted your money on the docsis 3.0 modem. the 2.0 specs go up to 42mb/s

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

Fortunately for me, i have an option with at&t uverse for my area. Looks like i'll be switching as soon as i can get to the store to make sure they waive all of their "fees"
Fleeced

join:2012-10-06

Re: I'm having the same issues with Time Warner

Those are theoretical speeds, most DOCSIS 2 modems are only tested for 30-35 at most. Your bill probably increased because you lost a promotion. TWC hasn't raised rates for standard HSD in quite some time.
KT2H
join:2008-04-26
Schenectady, NY

Buy your own modem

My speed doubled and they don't get my $4.00 increased fee. hehe

• Location: Lansing,Leavenworth,KS
Good "Tech Support...they at least have a clue once you get to Level 3"
Bad "Everything else"
Overall "Just a general, all-around worthless company that has obviously outlived its usefulness but sticks around via backroom deals."

Well...its better than DSL speed wise, but should definitely come with a
free bottle of lube. Seeing as the crooked SOBs down at Time Warner love
to collude with the crooked SOBs that us idiots voted for, no one but AT&T
can come into town and compete. And they can only compete with DSL, not
their U-Verse service. As such, the citizens of Lansing, KS get to install
hip grips and take it anyway TimeWarner wants to give it to us.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by robo21 See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "May begin with decent speed but then slows as they increase customers on node."
Bad "Evenings slow down by half or more! Latency jumps by 900% :-("
Overall "What a joke, they start off with decent speeds then oversell the area and slow waayyy down."

UPDATE 12/8/11

I have been waiting since April 2011 (8 months) for Time Warner to fix my speed problem to no avail. Sometimes it is so slow I cannot even stream Netflix. The speeds even during the day are pathetic now. I went from 18 Mbps (day) down to 5 to 8Mbps (day) and what used to be about 15 Mbps (eve) down to as low as 389 kbps (eve). Clearly this is an oversold node and they are avoiding me now when I call the tech supervisors who originally promised to fix this "within a month or two."

The typical cable Internet blues, load up the node, slow everybody down. I am leaving for ATT Uverse. My neighbor is getting 23Mbps down 24/7. Roadrunner sucks.

UPDATE 12/30/11:

I have now had the Uverse 24Mbps package for 18 days and average speed is 23Mbps down and 2.82Mbps up. Such a relief. No more problems streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime video - whew. Downloads come across at least 3 times faster than my previous Roadrunner. BTW, I have the U450 TV package with all the premium channels and stable Internet for exactly what I was paying for that POS RR service with NO premium channels and crappy Internet.

Furthermore my download graph for the last 18 days looks like it was drawn with a ruler! Unlike RR's graph which swings wildly up and down during the same day and from day to day - you never know what to expect.

GOODBYE ROADRUNNER - YOU SUCK! DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE BUTT!

Also added on this 12/30/11 update is an image of the Speedtest graphs from May through the 24th of this month. It will be obvious how bad RR service was for me.

UPDATE: 9/1/12
I have to laugh at IE's comment below
about my being disappointed with Uverse eventually. Clearly "IE" has no clue. The uverse service has not gone down once in 9.5 months of consistent, reliable, high-speed, service.

Roadrunny used to have a minimum of one outage per month and slow downs on a daily basis - sometimes down to dialup speeds!

Comments:

kilrathi
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

lol

wow lol at the picture
Marcotor

join:2000-12-09
Redlands, CA

Re: lol

Great results for a new customer here in the IE

Review by wizzle See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Fast downloads (usually) and extremely reliable"
Bad "Gimped d/l speed at times during peak hours"

I have been using RR for nearly 8 years now. I've had one modem go bad, but they replaced it within a week. They have a local office where I can take it to be replaced same day if I need it back sooner.

They don't appear to be blocking any ports that I'd need, and they provide OK tech support.

Any future data capping would lead to trouble as Netflix streaming alone can cause 5-10GB of downloaded data in a single day.

Customer service is useless in scenarios where speed is throttled during peak times of day. They try and blame it on equipment and setup in your home though it clearly isn't gimped during other times of the day on the same setup/equipment.

Comments:

Review by jaybird01 See Profile

• Location: Florence,Florence,SC
Overall "Live in a condo. If I had a choice I would drop RR like a rock."

Have had RR for 10 years. Cable tv cable boxes have a terrible service record. The new HD3D DVR'S will record, but you'll never know what will or how much of a recording will be stored.(It's not the equipment,DVR etc)

Comments:
NiteSn0w

join:2010-12-24

STB

You should see if you can get one of the Motorola DVRs from your local TWC Office. They should be able to give you whatever you ask for.

Review by TOMMAX See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Nothing"
Bad "everything"
Overall "just waiting for other option ( verizon FIOS )"

I moved to TWC Road Runner because they have higher speed ( 30/5)
and now all my problems start.
internet not stable
customer service / tech support not helpful ( expect Tier 3)
paying more money for unstable service and unprofessional customer service.

Really i miss Earth Link they are my favorite, i had them for almost 2 year s
no complaint
no issues
no problem
nothing at all
they need to upgrade their speed

Comments:
bidger

join:2009-12-23
Elmira, NY

I'd love another option too...

especially now that TWC patented blocking ad-skipping on DVRs. Fact is though I'm more irked @ Verizon for failing to deliver FIOS to compete than I am @ TWC. I've never had the issues w/ TWC that you apparently have.

Angry Jack

TWC "The WORST Cable"

TWC is notorious for poor speed,because they're horribly oversubscribed in upstate NY. Inside their network, they're fine to excellent, but they lack sufficient bandwidth at their peering points and during Netflix download time, 6pm to 9pm, my 10mbps service is always slower than 2mb. Im NOT getting what I pay for, I cant even game during those hours they are so horribly slow.

Ive been talking to our Senator here, George Maziarz (Energy and telecom committee) and we can club them over the head to make improvements. They seem to have no trouble raising their rates every 3 months for their crappy service.
PLEASE send valid complaints on TWC to Senator Maziarz, at: maziarz@nysenate.gov and help us get a file going to use to force improvements. Thanks.
TOMMAX

join:2011-05-28
Los Angeles, CA

Re: TWC "The WORST Cable"

thanks Angry Jack

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Isn't any. Slow Internet, garbled TV stations, don't use expensive phone service"
Bad "Very slooow for $47 a month. Clear hotspot is 3 to 5 times faster."
Overall "TWC doesn't hear the FIOS footsteps. If you work there, start looking for a job."

I've been with TWC Roadrunner for over 12 years now. When I started,
there wasn't different speeds you could choose from, there was one and
it was fast. I mean, 10 meg in a couple of seconds fast. Now there are 5
different speeds. I don't know how that even works, but I do know, my
broadband speeds are very slow now. So slow, I have to sit and watch the
screen draw sometimes. And they're always telling me it's my computer or
my router or something else. Today, a Saturday, I'm getting about 1 to
1.5 Mbps. It's bearable but slow.

Thing is, I have TWO computers next to each other. A couple of weeks ago
I got a CLEAR 4G hot spot device and a USB G Network Adapter. The one
with TWC is showing 1 to 1.5 like I said. The Clear is showing 5 to 7
Mbps, 3 to 5 times faster. I am going to use both for a couple of weeks
and then cancel my TWC. I pay the same for each so why should I get less
speed for the same money? While I'm at it, I'll be returning the DVR
boxes and will be getting DirecTV with EVERY channel for 2/3rds the
money I'm paying TWC for TV.

So in answer to your question, TWC Roadrunner is garbage.

(review was emailed from domain mvshelp.net)

Comments:
dragonman300

join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

Sorry about that. Did Time Warner installer come and check what wrong with your services?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
join:2004-06-21
127.0.0.1

Re: .

maybe he has the wrong config that happens sometimes

Jawsinc
Jaws Incorporated

join:2011-01-12
Woodside, NY

permanent "utilization" issues

i had the EXACT same prob with them and i have no other choices so i have to use them. never thought of the hotspot option though, interesting.

i gave up on trying to get them to fix it and got the 30/5 wideband and its pretty amazing actually.

Miguel

Re: permanent "utilization" issues

I have to say this. I turned off my router for a few minutes and rebooted. The speed came back and was around 10 to 15 Mbps.

It degrades again after just a couple of days. Instead of turning it off, I read someplace how to change the channel through the router (Belkin) software. When I do that, it gives me back the 10 to 15 Mbps. A lot easier than turning it off.

I'm looking into a fix so it automatically releases the memory but for now, it's okay.

I'm stil getting rid of my TV with TWC, but I may keep Internet at lowest speed and keep CLEAR. I like CLEAR because I have a Nook color and can now get on internet almost anywhere now.

Review by ds5v50 See Profile

• Location: Fremont,Sandusky,OH
Good "Faster then Dial Up"
Bad "No competition to get Upgrades"
Overall "I would take Fios if it was offered."

I now have Road Runner as part of a bundle. Which includes Turbo. It cost me 189$ a month for TV/Phone/Internet with a few addons. The service can be great at times. But it never last. I am waiting for either competition or Docsis 3 to roll out on my node. Knowing Uverse has stopped deploying then I am sure I will not see D3 in my area now. As usual no competition to drive up the services.

member for 11.7 years, 3633 visits, last login: a few hours ago