Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Pacrat See Profile

• Location: Cortland,Trumbull,OH
Good "Seems to be very reasonable rates for performance realized"
Bad "RR rate tied in with SmartHouse digital cable TV pkg"
Overall "Very pleased with ease of use and pain-free installation! I recommend!"

We've waited for quite some time for RR to be made available and now that it's here, we're very pleased with the performance. Of course, nearly anything would beat the 56K dial up connection we had. I just figured my averages and the Speed Test Tool has revealed what seems to be a pretty consistent Up of 350-370. Downloads seems to vary quite a bit but still average 1682 (counting the day there was a general cable problem in our neighborhood. If I discount the readings on that day, I get an average Download reading of 1912 (1413-2689). Don't know if there is a cap on anything but it seems there might be on the upload side, at least. West Coast speed readings seem to be consistently higher, generally well over 2Mbps. It's still very early in the game.

.Installer took great pains to route the cable in the most inobtrusive manner, and made the modem split before any of the TV feed splits. Don't know if that makes any difference or not. I definitely recommend the service, even without the "all the bells and whistles" TV pkg.

I am using a Toshiba PCX1100U modem (USB), to a Dell Dimension 8100 (1.3Gb, P-4). I have heard that the USB slows things down, but I sure haven't seen it. I wasn't quoted a specific speed, but was promised performance at least 10X over my modem, and I'm certainly getting that. I did apply some "tweaks" and noticed something 200-400kbps improvement in the download. Kept tweaking 'til the program said to leave it alone! No problems yet, but I'll keep everyone posted!

Special intro rate for 1st 3 mos. (SmartHouse Pkg = $89.99) Forgot to mention before that because RR was just now made available... install was FREE!

Struck by my 1st outage!!!! EGAD!!! Thought I was suffering from withdrawal. RR Techie showed up right when they said he would and within 15mins I was up and running again... as good as ever! Only rap was that it took 24 hrs to get someone here. Tested the signal and went to the splitter to reverse the TV and Modem taps. He said something about one tap being 1db down while the other was 9db down. So he reversed the taps so that the modem would have the least signal drop out of the splitter. Seemed pretty knowledgeable and he gave me some other(local) test sites to check speeds. Could only test downloads but could break it up into text, graphics and multimedia. Three different tests! I told him about DSLReports and he wrote it down in his "little black book" for future reference. Overall... I'm still sold on NEO.RR and sure would try to talk anyone else around here into spending the few bucks extra to get it. Now if I could only talk my wife into bagging AOL....!!!!!!!!!!!

2nd Outage!!!!! All of our utilities are underground. That said, we've experienced our 2nd outage... my wife cut our cable while she was edging her flower bed. They don't put it very deep (the cable lies just under the sod layer) and when my wife was edging the flower bed around the side of the house, near the cable junction box, she very neatly cut the cable in two with her shovel. I sure can't blame the outage on TWC, but in the spirit of truth and complete reporting, I offer it for your amusement. TWC is coming next week to replace the whole line... operating with a temporary splice job 'til then.

3rd outage! This one definitely wasn't the fault of RR or TWC. Seems they're(city employees) digging up the existing curbing in our neighborhood in preparation for casting new curbing and repaving the streets. About 2:10pm. today, 7/11/01, everything went out... no TV no RR, no nuthin'! I called service and they said they'd send someone out to check on the situation ASAP. In the meantime, I had to leave the house for awhile and I took an alternate path leaving the house. This took me over one block and lo and behold... there was our cable trunk line sticking out of the ground about 5 feet. Or, rather, one end of the line was sticking out... the other end was still buried in the ditch. Our city employees had hooked the cable line with the back-hoe and completely severed it. I called TWC-RR back again and told them that I thought I'd found their problem, and it was going to take more than just one "techie" to fix it. I gave them the exact location of the break and they were very appreciative. At approximately 6:00pm my service(TV and RR) had been restored. And get this... the repairman stopped at the house to thank me and checked to make sure my service was up and running again, before he left the job.

So, in the past 3 mos. I've had 3 outages... only one of which could I blame on TWC-RR. I'm still happy with the service and the performance I'm getting.

[Update 1-26-03]

Still sailing along quite smoothly... construction has ceased, at least temporarily, and the lines have remained intact. One minor glitch that I should mention, though. Every week there seems to be a mandatory "test" of the emergency "broadcast" system for about 15 seconds or so... designed for the cable network. I have noticed and reported that during the "test" RoadRunner has a tendency to hang for those few seconds. When I called to report it, I was told they are aware of it and are trying to correct the situation. It seems that the test signal occupies all the available broadcast bandwidth and it's spilling over onto the bandwidth used for RoadRunner. It's really no big deal... lasts for only a few seconds, but it is noticeable when the cable status light on the modem starts blinking.

[Update 12-5-03]

Overall performance is still great... and per their ads, download speeds have increased.. but certainly not 50%. The only gripe I have is that they seems to be having some intermittent problems with their e-mail server. it seems to crap out every few weeks for several hours. Supposedly for "scheduled maintenance"...

[Update 3-13-05]

About two weeks ago, my connection speeds dropped off the table... right into the dumper. And then I lost all ability to connect to any site on the web, including RoadRunner's home page. Made a call to customer service on a Tuesday afternoon and got a service call appointment on Thurday at noon. It was a long two days! Techie showed up right on time, power-cycled the Toshiba PCX1100U modem and determined it was DOA. Went out to the truck, brought in a brand spanking new Motorola SURFboard (SB5100), and hooked it up via the NIC and all was well. I mean really well as it immediately improved my connection speeds from less than 2000/330 to 4754/375. I'm happy... The only gripe I had was that it took two days to get it fixed. But I guess I can live with that, considering it's only about the second time in better than 4 years that I've been unable to connect and it was their fault. The other couple of times it was construction crews digging up the cables all over the neighborhood.

[Update:4-6-05]

Experienced about a 3-hour system shutdown this moring. At first I thought it was just me, but a call to TWC confirmed that they were having a system problem(area-wide) and that it shold be up and running soon. Well, obviously it's been fixed or I wouldn't be here now. Not a huge problem, but it''s a little disconcerting to not be able to get online immediately. Still, overall, I think it's a good buy.

[Update:10-18-05]

Experienced a few very minor outages, but they were enough to convince me not to add their internet phone service. The whole area was out (both cable tv and broadband) on two seperate occasions, but each lasted less than an hour. I still think, even with the minor inconveniences that it's still the best available in this area. I can see how people get so upset when their service hiccups, though. We've become so accustomed to instant access that when it doesn't happen we go directly into "withdrawal".

[9-24-07]Added VoIP phone service a couple of months ago. Install went pretty-much without a hitch and TWC has made available Caller ID on the tv screen. So now we have the whole bundle...tv, high-speed internet & phone. I was reluctant to put all my eggs in one basket, for a variety of reasons, but everything has been working very well and we've got no complaints. Well, none except I'd consider that the package is a little on the pricey side. But it's still cheaper than than what we had before... unlimited long distance with our telco, with all the calling features we never used, plus Road Runner, plus way too many premium channels available on the tv. But Momma's happy... and you all know the story... when Momma's not happy, no one is happy. And Momma can talk to her heart's content to the relates across the country, so she's very happy. No significant outages, although it has "hic-cupped" a couple of times for just a few seconds. Overall, we're pretty happy with the whole setup. But I'm sure there are cheaper ways to go about it available somewhere. This may not be eveyone's "cup of tea", but it's working for us.

[04-24-08] Have noticed marked increase in my download and upload speeds over a year ago. Some general improvements must have been made. No significant problems... just a couple of minor hiccups due to power outages on their end due to severe weather. I'm still very-well pleased with the service we've been experiencing. As far as saying much more, I guess no news is good news!

[10-3-08] System has been rock solid for months. Awaken the computer and the net is right there. Downloads are very acceptable. Don't upload that much so it's pretty adequate for my needs. Besides... my wife is happy, so I must be happy, too!

[11-18-10] I don't monitor my speeds regularly, but it seems that in the last several months, my connections have been noticeably quicker. I'm of the opinion that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and so far, it's worked quite flawlessly. There haven't been any appreciable outages, so I cannot complain about that. My wife loves it. She's big into Facebook games and has no patience, waiting for screens to load. She has no idea what "Please Wait" means. I'm still very satisfied with the connection, although our "bundle" price seems to be creeping upward pretty regularly. But then, so is the price of gasoline, milk, bread, and electricity.

[May 16, 2011] Now into the third day of sporadic outages of Road Runner net service and VoIP phone service. Two calls to Time-Warner have not resulted in any improvement in continuity of service. Outages seem to be random in duration and frequency. Sometimes, everything is fine... other times completely FUBAR-ed. Problem is evidently a system, or at least area-wide, as neighbors are experiencing the same symptoms. As much as I am annoyed by T-W's response, I have to admit this is the first time in years there has been a problem that lasted more than an hour or two. Am going to contact them again and request a billing adjustment for prolonged lack of service. We'll see what happens

[4-2-14] It works! Don't have to wait for pages to load. It's there when I need it. Not much else to say. We've had it for years and it's done nothing but get better. How fast is it? I don't know. It's certainly fast enough for our needs/wants. We've had a couple of small "glitches" over the past couple of years, but mostly they seem to occur in the "wee" hours of the morning so, for the most part, they've not affected my normal use of my connection. I probably wouldn't have noticed them at all if it weren't for occasional insomnia on my part. I don't test unless there's an apparent problem... and there hasn't been much of anything of that nature, with the exception of the aforementioned cases. And those may be due to normal system maintenance work being done during "off" hours. Is it perfect... no, but what is? For those who expect 100% performance all the time, it may be frustrating, but for my use, I'm totally satisfied with what I'm getting. The only dissatisfaction I can state is with the construction crews who, for whatever reason, tear the cables out of the ground from time to time. I do not attribute those types of outages to TWC. Just careless backhoe operators.

[1-30-15] Lost my VoIP part of my service a couple of weeks ago. Called TW, and the techie showed up the next day. He replaced my old modem/gateway with a new Arris TG-1672 and everything has returned to normal. The only gripe I have is the size of the new unit. Relatively speaking, it's huge and a bit awkward on my desk top. Performance-wise it seems to be working quite well, although it took an inordinate amount of time to get everything working and synced up. The techie admitted that his unfamiliarity with Apple systems had a lot to do with it. After some considerable "futzing" he finally got everything set up and running. It seemed that Apple Airport unit didn't want to "play well" with the new modem. But all is well and our service is sailing along without any further fiddling.

member for 13.9 years, 7287 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by elray See Profile

• Location: Santa Monica,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Cheap, reliable, sufficient for our needs. 3M/1M ELP enough for GV, Netflix 720p"
Bad "Modem rental fee hijinks - one-off annoyance eliminated with modem purchase"
Overall "TWC is fantastic!"

·EarthLink
We ordered TW Roadrunner 1.5 when our DSL went out of service for a week - the phone company (Verizon-GTE) was incapable of undoing the damage they caused internally to our vintage Frame-Relay hookup - so we had to convince them to build a new circuit from scratch.

TW installer showed up 2 days after we placed the order. He had to borrow my ladder, extension cord, and I had to fish the cables for him as he routed them about the building.
Since I ordered only cable-internet, no TV, he took the time to scold me and tell me "I installed a filter" (so I can't hook up a TV.)

As usual, they expect to hook up your Windows system raw to their internet - so I had prepared a disposable system for the occasion. It was attacked in 3 minutes.

The tiny black cable modem generates way too much heat, and throughput is not consistent, slowing to a crawl at times, though not often enough to warrant pulling the service. Since it is cheap enough ($34.95/mo total), we actually are keeping both DSL and cable modem, in hopes that one of them will be working when the other goes out.
(I know that sounds cynical, but our experience bears it out.)

I'm hoping to get a better price than $34.95 - there was a $19.95 package, but I haven't yet figured how to get them to commit to it.

Mar 2008 Update: service is more reliable, but speed drops to 650Kb often. Not sure if they're throttling or saturated - resetting modem doesn't change anything. Otherwise no complaints. Still would prefer cheaper price, but in Verizon/GTE area it seems we've always had to pay a bit more.

November 2009: We downgraded to Roadrunner Lite (768K) some months back, to save a few bucks (now $26.95). Service is decent, except when it goes out every 4 months, we have to spend an hour on the phone to get to Level III tech support, for them to re-sync their access server. Levels I & II can't do it, but are glad to insist we need to swap out the modem or schedule a truck roll and spend a day at home waiting for them.

February 2010: after rate increase to $28.95 for 768K, we are offered 10M/512 for $34.95, or 1.5M/384 for $24.95 with 1-year price lock. We chose the latter, of course. Had to speak with an offshored Level II tech to get it working, but it took only minutes. Satisfaction with Time Warner continues to improve slowly.

November 2010: Continue to experience multiple outages without any resolve.
TWC offers 10M/768 for $29.99 with one-year price lock - we accept, thinking we'll be getting a Netflix-enabled monitor to replace our dead TV.

2011-2013: Satisfactory, bullet-proof service at $30/month for 10/1 and 15/1. November 2012, purchased used cable modem SB5101 for $22 to offset stupid rental fee, installed without a hitch. Mid-2013, switched to earthlink resale of tw cable after $30 rate expired for good. Switch to EL cumbersome (an hours worth of phone calls) but service works fine.

January 2014: After six months diversion to Earthlink, we're back on TWC, on the 2M/1M Lite service package, for $14.99 a month. Converting back was a bureaucratic nightmare, one hour and 15 minutes of phone calls to get it done right, but again, the service works flawlessly and its dirt cheap.

January 2015: TWC boosted us to 3/1 a few months back, price remains $14.99/month, service continues to work great.

Comments:
Millenium

join:2013-10-30

Same

We have the same 2/1 service on the east coast. We've had two streams running on Netflix, or one Netflix stream and Facetime running simultaneously. I was surprised how well it works.

Review by ipwn3r456 See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Full speeds almost all the time, pricing isn't that bad."
Bad "TWO billing mistakes, with occasional connectivity issues."
Overall "Well, it connects to the internet. But I still wish for competition."

I am using their Standard tier internet (originally 10/1, later upgraded to 15/1, and now the 10% provisioning is more of 16.3/1.1), originally paying $29.99. But since my promotion ends in one year, they continued to give me an another promotion, but pricing increased to $36.99 (without taxes, modem fees, etc.), I am fine with that... for now.

I ordered internet online, and process is pretty smooth. Although the technician came in a few minutes late(I think the appointment was around 10am-12pm, the technician came around 12:05pm). First he checked the cables outside, and drilled a hole so the cable can go through. He installed an Ambit modem (forgot the model number), which now I am using my own modem, Motorola SB6141. Everything went smooth, until when the technician was about to leave, my neighbor came out and told the technician that he disconnected his TV cable. The technician quickly installed a splitter, and no problems.

Overall I am fine with my internet speeds, no outages, no slow-downs (almost all the time), and I am pretty fine with it. Although I want competition. Besides TWC, only AT&T serves in our area as well. But they are only offering up to 1.5mbps DSL, which is completely irreverent in terms of speeds and pricing. I would want AT&T to have Uverse coverage in our area, not because I want to switch back, it's because I want competition in case if TWC soars up prices on me.

Update 12/4/13 - Time Warner keep charging me for modem rental, even though I have been using my SB6141 for more than a month. The lady over the live chat was nice enough to remove the fee. So I guess another problem solved. But seriously Time Warner, fix your billing systems. It looks like the billing system is more "profit" wise than accuracy. This is already the second mistake Time Warner did. The first time was charging me for installation fee even though it was free. And I am dropping the pre-sales 25% lower because of that.

Update 12/16/13 - During the past few days, my internet connection was pretty terrible. I am getting over 200ms+ ping, and also packet loss. Speed was also dramatically decreased, making it a terrible browsing experience. Because of that, I am dropping connection reliability 25% lower.

Update 4/9/14 - Everything is still fine, getting full speeds almost all the time, maybe with the exception of peak times. I will have to see about pricing changes after my 2nd year promotion (which ends in august), plus the upcoming MAXX upgrades (if it ever happens in my area).

Update 6/16/14 - Connection problems are getting worse lately. I don't know what is going on, but I am getting packet losses/high ping issues, sometimes few times a week, sometimes as worse as few times a day... can't even play any online games with my connection. For this, I am taking off another 25% from connection reliability. Might have to contact TWC about this if this keeps happening. No TWC MAXX upgrades yet, still sticking with 8 download channels and 1 upload channel.

Update 7/31/14 - Just upgraded to Turbo as a part of negotiation, since they are going to charge me $50 for standard, so I called their retention department and the promotional price for turbo is all they can offer me. I said yes, and saved $5 a month, for now. I should be more aggressive next time when I am negotiating with TWC. No TWC MAXX upgrades yet, but we will see how it goes later this year.

Update 11/13/14 - After month and months of desperation, TWC MAXX has finally arrived to my area, and at the same time, they announced the completion of TWC MAXX upgrades in New York and Los Angeles. I am getting 69/11 for now, because my router isn't gigabit capable. Connection reliability has gotten better now, I will raise 25% for connection reliability. I will update once I get my new router.

Update 1/3/15 - I recently got my new router from T-Mobile, the T-mobile Personal CellSpot (Model number TM-AC1900). It's essentially the same as the RT-AC68U, with a modified firmware. Since it's free to rent (as date of 12/21/14, now sure when they will end the free rental, you pay $25 deposit regularly), and I needed a new router to handle the new speeds, it's perfect for my needs. I am getting full speeds now for my Turbo Plan (now Ultimate 100), usually around 108/11. So far, everything in good.

member for 1.5 years, 748 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:
mbreyer

join:2013-11-14

Los Angeles, CA

Re: .

said by mbreyer:

sir that is the competition. they just aren't competing very well

Yep, typical monopoly in the telecommunications. And the politicians just doesn't give a damn about it.

FreeBSDuser

join:2013-05-15
Somers, NY

Alternatives

Looking at your address, you may be able to get Sonic.net, DSL Extreme (resold Sonic.net), Webpass, and Earthlink Cable (resold TWC).
ipwn3r456

join:2013-07-31
Los Angeles, CA

Re: Alternatives

said by FreeBSDuser:

I do know that sonic.net is available in my area, but I live 10000 feet away from the CO... I don't think I can get fast speeds from that range.

Review by dsl10102 See Profile

• Location: Studio City,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Acceptable, when it works...which, of late, is more often."
Bad "slow-to-no speeds, forever-length hold times, remote support not always current with respect to network conditions"
Overall "Improvements are encouraging"

Improved speeds. Recently more reliable.

Comments:

Review by OpTiC See Profile

• Location: West Covina,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Speed, Unlimited, Reliable TV, Internet, and Phone"
Bad "had five billing issues and a technician that came, didn't do anything twice"
Overall "I'm probably staying this time"

·T-Mobile US
·Charter
January 2014 - I lowered tech support, value, and connection reliability because the tech named Hector came to my house and blamed my equipment. He also sent a maintenance guy to threaten my that I would have to pay for service if I have the problem again.

October 2014 update 3- I upgraded my DVR service to the Enhanced DVR (6 tuner) for $3 more. That was a better deal than the standard DVR so my bill is 157.98.

October 2014 update 2- Also found another way to lower my bill I found a promo from TWC's website for the same services for $20 less so I might as well switch I will be calling in will be giving DSLR an update.

October 2014- got a free extreme internet bump and my bill was also lowered to 155.53. I also started using my own Motorola sb 6183. My MAXX speed is 200/20

September 2014- Got TWC Maxx 100/10. I also upgraded my double play with starter tv to the better triple play for $169 preferred tv, all premiums, variety pass plus, a DVR (Motorola DCX 3510) the extra set top box (Motorola DCX 3200 P3) also have whole home DVR.
August 2014- got a second cable box. It's a DCX3200 P3

July 2014- Waiting for MAXX upgrade might upgrade to extreme or ultimate internet for better bang for the buck.

March 2014- Have the Turbo Tier. Still no speed caps which is great. Consistently get my speeds. Very few outages. I hope this isnt my last TW review update. Comcast may be taking over soon. This upgrade cost $10 more a month.
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3390 ··· 90779019

January 2014- I upgraded to the Standard Tier with the same TV package for $10 more a month on top of Basic internet.And I also bought my own modem the Motorola sb 6121.
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3325 ··· 25528071

July 2013- I upgraded to the Basic Tier with the same TV package for $10 more a month on top of Lite internet.

May 2011- I sign up for Lite Tier with El Paquetazo tv package

==============================================================

I have experienced several outages that were due to migrating the two networks together. Speeds have stayed relatively the same, and up until this point, have not been upgraded like much of Time Warners other markets around the country. Being the only game in town however, I feel lucky enough to actually have high speed internet so I won't complain to much.

Upload speed is a bit low, but when the speed increase is put into effect, I expect this to change.

Television service is great, and they have a growing number of HD channels, which looks like it will grow more in the Fall when several new networks are launched.

In the end, they are a decent choice amongst an area with very little to no other choices, except MAYBE Verizon Fios.

member for 356 days, 463 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
TechGuy007

join:2013-08-23
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
·exede by ViaSat

Time Warner Business Class

Service has been great overall. The initial technician was kind enough to replace the main cable drop from the street to the premises with a commercial grade cable. He disclosed he did not have any more of the newer modems and would leave me with an older model and to call in if there were any problems. The only concern that arose was between 9pm and 11 pm the speeds would slow. I called in the morning and had a tech visit later on in the afternoon. After the required testing, the signals were extremely strong and the tech did state the modem would be the issue. He swapped out the cable modem with the newest model available and left. Sure enough it was the modem because that evening between the times I was seeing slowdowns it did not happen again. Overall I am really satisfied with the service and it is well worth the extra money each month even though the speeds are not as high as residential service. Wondering if the merge goes through if Comcast will give Business Class customers a speed bump.
OpTiC
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

Uh

No body likes my review

Review by pizz See Profile

• Location: Astoria,Queens,NY
Good "MaXX Upgrade 300/20 - rock-solid stable. Never a slow down."
Bad "Customer Service Store, in the Queens Center Mall. In Elmhurst NY. Worst Customer Service Reps, there period."
Overall "They have come up in the world. Faster internet speeds. Better TV selections. Phone rock-solid."

8/6/14 - Bill is 197.00 and I get the ultimate Triple-play. With all movie channels. They don't offer this plan anymore, as I was told. Cause of all the movie channels added in. Fios is in my building now. And i never thought I'd stick with TWC over FIOS. But I am, and couldn't be happier.

member for 14.3 years, 3752 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

kilrathi
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

maybe not zero problems

Your lucky I had packet loss problems on the upstream for past year and quite bad this summer, they finally realized the lines here couldnt handle 64QAM on the upstream (rockaways queens) and new cmts uses max 16QAM so the problems occur less now but I would never say zero problems for tw in nyc. Back few years ago that was true. There is hope now that they added more downstream channels upgraded their cmts and doing more upgrades this year that it will be trouble free again at least for me.

pizz
1gbps is all the rage.
join:2000-10-27
Astoria, NY

Re: maybe not zero problems

sorry for the long reply. I understand your problems, i followed it on your forum post. I thiink it's because you have so many buildings there, that your upstream will be congested. I'm gonna reword my review as i see the errors in it.

i hope the new cmts works well for you and they increase some node splits in your area.

good luck
It's ok to say, 'I don't know'. It's even better when someone takes the time to explain what you, 'don't know'.

Review by aemurray See Profile

• Location: Van Nuys,Los Angeles,CA
Good "high download speed"
Bad "frequent dropping of internet and phone"
Overall "Tech support and service seems to have deteriorated"

Have used TW for 11 years. Since March 2011 started getting frequent drops of both internet and phone. No problem with cable TV. Technicians have come out numerous times over the 3 years, doing different things outside the building, changing the splitter, replacing the modem. Last tech visit was on 01/17/2015, replaced modem. Yet, every day since the frequent drops continue. Have looked into other possible replacements like AT&T, but they have a lot of hidden charges and some troubles as well as my neighbor has AT&T U-verse and she complains about it. Unplugging the coax cable and power cord for several seconds and then reconnecting does not correct the problem. The only solution I have found that seems to work reliably is to unplug the coax cable and the power cord and let the modem sit for 20-30 minutes. Then, after reconnecting the cables, it connects and works for a while before having to go through the process again. Cannot rely on the phone as it has gone out while I've been talking on it. Phone is also connected to gate of building which allows us to "buzz" people in, but, of course, if the phone doesn't work, people have to call me on their cell from the gate and I have to go down to the front gate and let them in. I really sometimes just wish I could rid myself of the whole lot, but some of the software I purchased requires an internet connection just to run and, of course, Windows has to validate license as well as Microsoft office.

Comments:

news4la

join:2009-01-05
Universal City, CA

Time warner reliability

Get rid of the phone.Save some money. Use cellphone or voip. Use Netflix or Hulu Plus for TV. Save some more money!
On AIR,On LINE and On the GO!

Zethrus

@rr.com

Re: Time warner reliability

The tech should have taken signal strength inside the house, then outside, then at the pole, and then down the road a piece. He should have come back a few times to read the signal strength outside the house. It seems obvious to me the signal is degrading. A few miles down the road there is probably some old cable that has leakage. Do you have neighbors with similar complaints? The thing I would suggest is you get a new drop...even a temp one across your lawn laying on top of the ground so you can see if the signal stays constant. There really is no magic to this. Either the signal is there or it isn't. As you describe it, it isn't. All it takes is a lot of users, bad weather, leakage, and you are dead in the water...

Zethrus

@rr.com

Re: Time warner reliability

The other thing is I am in NY and I can say "There are signal drops" but what do I know unless I see a meter attached here and there testing signal strength. Even if the signal is there, if you have malware on your machine(s) then it is a sure bet the NIC is being disabled intermittently. Go to bleepingcomputerdotc0m and go to downloads then screen four and download and run adwcleaner or any of the other tools. Bet you will find stuff on your machine(s). The point is try it because it is free and the tools remove malware, etc. so if you do have any at all, then you can try your machine out and see if you have drops.

Review by DMF3 See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
Good "Excellent CSR personnel"
Bad "Slow; sign-up system barely works"
Overall "If you have to have it you have to have it."

New account, set up online. Standard internet-only package, quoted at 15 mbps. Nominally $40/mo with $5/mo online order discount. My own modem (Netgear CM400). The sign-up screen says that I will receive email instructions within 48 hours on how to provision the modem. I did get a "Welcome to TWC" email, but three days later no instructions. So I call.

I have an order number from the printout of the order page. TWC tier 1 tech can find neither the order nor an account for me. She will talk to tier 2(?) and call me back in 20 minutes. 2 hours - no one calls. I call again and this time go to Sales. They can actually see the order; it is not complete and no clue why. So Sales completes the order and 25 minutes into the call I actually get an account number! Also a job number that tech can use for provisioning. He sends me back to tech, who initially cannot find the account. She asks where I am (he sent me to New York CS) and forwards to the correct tech department, who initially can find neither the account nor the job number. Finally finds the account, takes the MAC address, but there is option on the account to provision the modem. "What is the scheduled job for?" I ask. "For a tech to come out and complete the install IN A WEEK!" #$%*! Transfer back to Customer Service. She listens and immediately forwards to a tier 3 tech. Finally! Guy knows what he's doing, can see the modem and we provision it (takes about 15 minutes, though).

Finally online! Total phone time about 100 minutes. And this was supposed to be an automated setup ! All personnel are friendly, competent, and willing to help. It is the system that is messed up. Strangely, I would have said the same of TWC when I first used them 35 years ago.

I've had Comcast in Atlanta for years and am used to FAST internet. According to the speed tests, the "15 mbps" rate is optimistic. There are faster service tiers, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay double the Comcast rates for 1/3 the speed. Not enough experience to rate service reliability.

I suppose there are worse ISPs, but I (fortunately) haven't had to use one. Value sucks, too. If you have an alternative, use it.

Jan-07-15

I'm getting a LOT of "unable to connect" pages. cbssports.com ?? These aren't timeouts; looks more like filtering.

Also, dnssearch (sp?) intrudes on occasion, but I see that there a fix for.

Jan-10-15

It *was* filtering - mine. I forget to enable HTTP in Peerblock.

Supposedly disabled failure re-direct, but can't tell yet how effective that is...

- Dennis

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

At least you got what your paying for..

TWC sounds like Century the missing link. I also was speaking with fools that use to respond to "Ding, Fries are done!!!" when I tried out there 7Meg DSL line that was lucky to see 900K.
snookeehook

join:2015-01-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

my e mail address

where did my e mail address go and why is it not working and can it be fixed ifve had it for years and years

Review by W8ASA See Profile

• Location: Dayton,Montgomery,OH
Good "24/7 connection with no breaks"
Bad "Phone has a strange delay when answering."
Overall "Great service. Solid connection."

·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
UPDATE 1-8-2015: Received my free Dell laptop/tablet yesterday as part of the Signature Home promotion. Others have said they received a refurbished one, but mine is new. Of course, TWC put all their programs on it before sending it to me, but that's fine. It works very well, and I'm happy with it. I saved $30 per month in the process. Internet speed is what I signed up for, and haven't had any down time yet. Phone service still has a weird delay. When people call us, we have to say "hello" 3-4 times before they hear us. Some have hung up thinking we weren't answering.

UPDATE 12-8-2014: My speeds are pretty steady at 56/5.6 Mbps or so. I am unable to post my speed test results to DLSR because for some reason the speed test sites can't resolve the TW IP address(es). I thought that problem was supposed to be solved when it first popped up, but apparently it has not.

UPDATE 11-25-2014: Another five years have passed. I have had Signature Home, which includes the 50 Mbps internet, for a little more than 2 months now. No problems.

UPDATE 03-11-2009: Wow! Five years since my last update? The RR connection is still solid with no problems to report. Boring review, eh?

UPDATE 2-24-2004: Connection is solid still. My speeds are in the 2800-2900 range, with a very occasional spike over 3000. No downtime that I know of. I now have the PCX2600 modem, and am using it with a BEFSR41 router with no problems.

UPDATE 11-24-2003: Well, now that TWRR has increased my speeds from 2000 to 3000 down, I am only getting 1500 or so! All this time I have had a solid connection, but ever since they "upgraded" the speeds, I cannot seem to get more than 1500 down regularly. I have gotten as high as 2700 down, but that is very rare. All in all, my average download speed is 3/4 of what it used to be. Upload is higher, but all I usually send are keystrokes and mouse clicks. I am not impressed by this improvement.

UPDATE 4-17-2003: Connection still solid. Have no seen any downtime. Keep on rocking, TWRR!

UPDATE 13 January 2003: Connection solid, good speed (usually 2050/300 or so), and no problems whatsoever. TWRR rocks here!

UPDATE 5 August 02: I still have had NO breaks in service of any kind. No disruptions, period. I continue to be VERY pleased with my RR service. Truck on RR!!!

UPDATE 3 Mar 02: Going strong. No breaks in service. No problems with e-mail or newsgroup. Linksys still keeping me hooked up. I use both the Linksys and Zone Alarm, and since getting the Linksys (BEFSR41) I rarely get any traffic getting through to cause a Zone Alarm message. Almost never, in fact. TWC/RR here in Dayton, OH is going very, very well for me, although I'm almost finished with my $19.95 per month introductory rate, and will soon be bumped to $44.95 or so. ;-((((((( Even at that rate, it is an outstanding value for the money.

UPDATE 7 Feb 02: Still moving right along. No service outages. E-mail 100 percent, and excellent newsgroup coverage. No problems with either the RR service or my Linksys. I am very, very pleased with the value for the buck.

UPDATE 17 Dec 2001: Speeds are now pretty much where they should be -- in the 1.5-2.0kbps down/360 up, so I'm pleased. I have seen speed spikes to 5.1MMMMMMMMbps (that's Megs) to a couple of sites. All in all, I'm very happy with TWCRR, and have no problem recommending it to anyone. The X10 ads still appear EVERY time I access the RR home page, so I just don't go there any more. You're supposed to be able to cancel them for 30 days, but it does NOT work for me. Newsgroups are fine. Pings are low. I'm getting everything I expect out of RR.

UPDATE 1 DEC 2001: Speeds are a very disappointing 3-400 kbps range for downloads most of the time now, meaning that MANY people have signed up.RR needs to fatten the pipes a lot, because in my part of town no one can get DSL, so everyone seems to be getting onto RR. In fact, about half of my speed tests show faster UPLOAD than DOWNLOAD. Upload is consistent at 370-380 or so. I got stuck with a 3-Com discontinued modem, and don't really know yet whether that's good for me or bad. Any feedback on that would be appreciated. It is a 3CR29223.

I'm in Centerville, Ohio. Called a week ago (Nov 20) to order RoadRunner after seeing my street on their website as being availabie. They are offering free installation except for a NIC card. and $19.95 per month for the first three months, then $44.95. Good price. I was given a 4-hour window for this morning (11-27) and the installer showed up on time. Modem is a 3-com dual network/USB (yuch - I was hoping for a Toshiba). The installer actually works for CompUSA, and said that they are using up all their 3-com modems until they run out of stock. After he got the cable installed and turned on the modem, it wouldn't sync. Turns out that TW is having a problem in my area today, and so he left without ever getting a sync. My signal strength at the modem is -10, which is somewhat low, but he said it will sync OK once the system is up and running. The installer was very knowledgable and capable and friendly. The remainder of my review will have to wait until I get a sync and can test/tweak, etc. More later....................

UPDATE 11-28-2001, 9:40 AM: Well, the awaited sync never came, and yesterday afternoon I called tech support, and got a very helpful and smart Terry, who, after I told her that my signal strength was -10 and below, told me flat out that the shark fin (3-com) will NEVER sync up at that signal strength. She has set up an appointment for between 3 and 5 pm today for someone to come out and get my signal boosted. Low signal affects the digital cable box. I suggested that they may want to install an amp, and she put that in her notes as well. Soooo, no RR yet, but everyone so far has been nice and helpful, and I'm still hopeful. More later after today's visit.......

UPDATE 11-28-2001, 10:30PM: Tech from TW showed up this evening and discovered that the coax outside line had been scraped and some of the shielding was cut, so the line showed a horrible loss. He put in a new line directly to the computer, and the modem synced right up. Speeds really vary from site to site. In the space of two hourse I've logged speeds from 300K to 3100K. LinkLine and Megapate speeds tend to be really low, in the 300-400 range, once getting to 800. I've put the tweaks in, and tomorrow will post my tweak results to ask for help. Now, how can I trade the 3-com modem in for a Toshiba, which I understand will increase my speed.

member for 14.5 years, 5288 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Pathfinder See Profile

• Location: Mount Vernon,Westchester,NY
Good "it works most of the time"
Bad "tech support is a joke. sales lied to me"
Overall "Not impressed"

Dec 2014

Due to illness I have moved in with relatives. I have FIOS at home and am very satisfied. Here they had Verizon DSL. As I am adding to the usage and we now have 2 Netflix accounts, we decided to go with Time Warner Triple play. The ad said 89.99 so we called to get that. No premium channels and 15/1 internet. No problem. The rep told my daughter that the $89.99 was only for new customers and signed us for $161. I found out that he was misinformed or downright lied to us. I tend to believe the latter as further dealings didn't go well. I called back the next day with the ad in hand and after 15 minutes with billing was told that the first rep was wrong and if I called back they would see her notes and correct the price. I called back to speak with sales and while they saw the billing reps note they could not find that offer. After an hour on the phone we settled on a plan that in total came to $126 and upped the speed. I was not happy but accepted it.

Five minutes later the internet went dead. I have an ARRIS 1762 and a Cisco router. I was told that TW wifi is $5 per month. I called tech support and reached a tech with a bad accent. The first thing I asked him is if my ARRIS was reset. He assured me that everything was the way it had been. I plugged a laptop directly into the ARRIS and got nothing. He then asked if I had another laptop to try. I explained that I don't keep spare laptops in my pocket as a rule and told him that there were 2 wired PCs and a wifi PC along with 2 ROKUs 2 tablets and 2 phones. None worked. He had me reset everything at least 1/2 dozen times. He was quite obviously clueless but I was stuck. after 1 hour and 15 minutes he transferred me to the next tier. That tech took one look at my records, asked me if I intended to use the Cisco or Arris for wifi and when I told him Cisco he reset the Arris to bridge mode and we were done. Total time including resets 6 1/2 minutes.

I would go back to DSL rather than call tech support again. Total idiots at the first tier.

member for 14.9 years, 8390 visits, last login: a few hours ago