Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by LexingtonPro See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "Reliable speeds; delivered on their promises"
Bad "Functional monopoly; must bundle service"
Overall "Best we can do"

Upgraded to 30/5 today. Impressive throughput. Technician very thorough and solictious.

A marked improvment from Windstream fiber service.

A reasonable amount to pay if I didn't have to essentially have cable TV to get this price.

member for 1 year, 32 visits, last login: 3 days ago

Comments:

Review by BellaStorm See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Fast"

Update: Decided to continue service.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Advertised as 50/5 speed, but getting a bit faster, with 12 month @ $62 (before tax, etch). Had an Arris all-in-one modem, but recently swapped out for SB6141 (didn't want the WiFi that was built in).

Likes: Level 3 tech support actually knows what they are talking about.

Didn't like that when we moved, Prince Telecom tech didn't put our power levels within specs, so another appointment was requested.

member for 113 days, 102 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by footinmouth See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Monroe,NY
Good "Holy Cow FAST! Beats Frontier's Internet many times over!"
Bad "Price"
Overall "You get what you pay for."

Upgraded to Road Runner Extreme package. (30/5) Installer provided me with a Motorola Surfboard SBG6850 modem. Retired my Ambit modem.
I Had Frontier's DSL for well over NINE years! After months of high latency and low bandwidth I had to part ways with the internet portion of the company. Too bad for the employees of the company. Good people but the Corporate side is uncaring about its existing customers. I would go back to DSL if they offered a package of 24 Mbps down and 3.5 Mbps up with a guarantee of bandwidth and low latency.

Results from »www.speed.io
(Copied on 2011-06-24 13:06:36)
Download: 29725 Kbit/s
Upload : 5437 kbit/s
Connects : 1939 conn/min
Ping: 21 ms

06/29/14 Price went up by $20 due to my promotion ending. Still going strong and slightly faster up and down speeds.

Comments:
tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

move south

if you could move south into NJ or Westchester, you'd have better options..

Review by ArgMeMatey See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Install time and process"
Bad "Leftover billing problems, modem fee"
Overall "Better price than the other half of the duopoly"

·AT&T Midwest
I ordered 10 Mbps online on a Thursday afternoon. $29.99 per month plus taxes, guaranteed rate for 12 months. Free cable modem for six months, $2.50 per month thereafter.

I was sweating a bit because the install date they proposed was just one day before my AT&T service was to be shut off.

Got an e-mail quickly saying to call them. Called them and found out there was a billing issue left over from my previous account with them, despite the fact that they sent me no less than three e-mails saying I owed them $0.00.

Got that squared away on Friday afternoon and they scheduled me for installation on Saturday morning, the next day. The installers arrived during the stated window and we were up and running in less than one hour. In my book, that's just this side of heavenly, although back when I had standard cable I was able to go to the Time Warner storefront, pick up a cable modem, and be online in less than an hour. The cable modem is a Cisco DPC2100R2. I like its simplicity vs. all the garbage in the 2Wire that AT&T provided for VDSL. I ran a couple of speed tests and both were about 9.6 Mbps.

Now I heard their new McAfee deal requires a separate RR e-mail address for each client. That seems a bit silly.

I'll update after I start using the service. Right now it's just sitting idle until AT&T UVerse goes dead in a couple of days.

Update 19 Nov 2012:
Running pretty well. Speed consistently tests at 12 Mbps. McAfee works fine; no separate e-mail required as I had been told.

I bought my own DPC2100r2 the month after the billing started, and it took about an hour to get it online on the phone. It would be nice if they would allow me to authenticate online and then enter the MAC address of whatever modem I want to use. But I know they need to download a file to the modem to control it.

Haven't had any billing issues otherwise. I've got another six months at this price so we'll see what happens at that point.

Update 27 Jun 2014:
During a neighborhood power outage on 27 Aug 2013 lasting less than two hours, there was no Time Warner service whatsoever. But the AT&T VRAD down the street was humming along on battery power.

For the period March 2014 through February 2015, I was able to renew again at about the same rate I had in year two: $35 plus tax. Still using the same modem although it's been delisted. Testing reveals that my speeds average just over 15 Mbps.

member for 12.9 years, 4301 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by steve54301 See Profile

• Location: Green Bay,Brown,WI
Good "It just works"
Bad "Low intro specials, but you can never downgrade"
Overall "Don't sign up for more than you need"

·TDS Communications
Time Warner isn't much different than others. They have a year of an introductory price, but after that expect to pay 1/4 to 1/2 more for your services.

One big gotcha is they will initially try and talk you into a package that is more than you need or were interested in. They will offer it for the first year at the same price as whatever you were seeking.

You may be thinking, after that first year, I'll just downgrade my services to offset the price increase. Good luck with that.

Comments:

Review by billko See Profile

• Location: Apalachin,Tioga,NY
Good "You're not making a deal with the devil."
Bad "You're making it with his brother."
Overall "It's the most unreliable service I'd ever encountered, and the customer service is brain dead."

I had issues with the modem constantly disconnecting. Knowing it was a networking issue and not something on my end, but having to play the game anyway, they told me to bring in my modem for a replacement. I guess the modems the rent out are horrid pieces of junk because there was a line out the door of customers who had modems that all magically failed on the same day.

While I understand that they have to read from a script, you'd think they might not be completely brain dead and maybe figure out that, after the third or fourth person that they told the to bring in their modem for an exchange, they would get the idea that it might not be a customer issue? I mean, obviously, out of the 30 or 40 people waiting there, a few of them had the same support person?

Comments:
why60loss

join:2012-09-20

Welcome to time warner cable

Best of luck to you, Have had Comcast now for almost 7 months and while far from perfect is not nearly as bad as time warner cable.

tonytony1
join:2011-05-21
New York, NY

modem issue time warner nyc

Last week they were several thunderstorms in my area, my internet connection stop working,
I am using time warner cable NYC,
I have a modem (A) that is connected to my router and to that router direct Ethernet wire to my laptop, and my desktop. wireless to my Wi-Fi extender, for my cell in another room, I was able to connect my laptop directed to my modem too, since the modem has 4 Ethernet ports, my laptop has a USB to Ethernet adapter that adapter has to lights one that says 100 mbps and the other one 1000 mbps, always when I connect my laptop to my router the 100mbps lights, but when I connect directed to the modem the 1000mbps lights.
Anyway I called customer service and they were telling me that when they send a signal to the modem they see that everything is fine and that the thunderstorms do not had anything to do with me not having ,internet, so if I want to for a worker to come and check it up and if nothing is wrong with the modem I will be charged, so I said not I will got to the time warner office and get a new modem.

I got a new and different modem, modem(B), well I had to call again customer service since my speed was to slow, and yes my internet was working, so something was wrong with modem (A), and I have now different problems with this modem (B) I can only connect one device to it,
If I connect the router to the modem and laptop to the modem the laptop is not working (no internet) but if I connect the laptop to the router it will work? The customer helper was telling me to disconnect the router and restart my laptop and connect the laptop to the modem but not the router so I did that and finally my laptop connected to the modem (B) was working but my router was disconnected, and for my surprise, the connection light on my Ethernet adapter was 100mbps, not 1000mbps like the other modem (A). So I think something is wrong with this new modem or from the office they don’t want me to connect more than one device, so I disconnect my laptop from the modem and connect the router to the modem and laptop to the modem so I can have my desktop connected to the router.
Anyone can give me and idea why it is like that? I was thinking in going back and get another modem?
jades

join:2013-04-01
New York, NY

TWC is the worst!!

You think your experience is bad? How about 3 outages every month? Longest outage lasted 6 days!!

Review by ipwn3r456 See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Full speeds almost all the time, pricing isn't that bad."
Bad "TWO billing mistakes, with occasional connectivity issues."
Overall "Well, it connects to the internet. But I still wish for competition."

I am using their Standard tier internet (originally 10/1, later upgraded to 15/1, and now the 10% provisioning is more of 16.3/1.1), originally paying $29.99. But since my promotion ends in one year, they continued to give me an another promotion, but pricing increased to $36.99 (without taxes, modem fees, etc.), I am fine with that... for now.

I ordered internet online, and process is pretty smooth. Although the technician came in a few minutes late(I think the appointment was around 10am-12pm, the technician came around 12:05pm). First he checked the cables outside, and drilled a hole so the cable can go through. He installed an Ambit modem (forgot the model number), which now I am using my own modem, Motorola SB6141. Everything went smooth, until when the technician was about to leave, my neighbor came out and told the technician that he disconnected his TV cable. The technician quickly installed a splitter, and no problems.

Overall I am fine with my internet speeds, no outages, no slow-downs (almost all the time), and I am pretty fine with it. Although I want competition. Besides TWC, only AT&T serves in our area as well. But they are only offering up to 1.5mbps DSL, which is completely irreverent in terms of speeds and pricing. I would want AT&T to have Uverse coverage in our area, not because I want to switch back, it's because I want competition in case if TWC soars up prices on me.

Update 12/4/13 - Time Warner keep charging me for modem rental, even though I have been using my SB6141 for more than a month. The lady over the live chat was nice enough to remove the fee. So I guess another problem solved. But seriously Time Warner, fix your billing systems. It looks like the billing system is more "profit" wise than accuracy. This is already the second mistake Time Warner did. The first time was charging me for installation fee even though it was free. And I am dropping the pre-sales 25% lower because of that.

Update 12/16/13 - During the past few days, my internet connection was pretty terrible. I am getting over 200ms+ ping, and also packet loss. Speed was also dramatically decreased, making it a terrible browsing experience. Because of that, I am dropping connection reliability 25% lower.

Update 4/9/14 - Everything is still fine, getting full speeds almost all the time, maybe with the exception of peak times. I will have to see about pricing changes after my 2nd year promotion (which ends in august), plus the upcoming MAXX upgrades (if it ever happens in my area).

Update 6/16/14 - Connection problems are getting worse lately. I don't know what is going on, but I am getting packet losses/high ping issues, sometimes few times a week, sometimes as worse as few times a day... can't even play any online games with my connection. For this, I am taking off another 25% from connection reliability. Might have to contact TWC about this if this keeps happening. No TWC MAXX upgrades yet, still sticking with 8 download channels and 1 upload channel.

member for 362 days, 445 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
mbreyer

join:2013-11-14

Los Angeles, CA

Re: .

said by mbreyer:

sir that is the competition. they just aren't competing very well

Yep, typical monopoly in the telecommunications. And the politicians just doesn't give a damn about it.

FreeBSDuser

join:2013-05-15
Somers, NY

Alternatives

Looking at your address, you may be able to get Sonic.net, DSL Extreme (resold Sonic.net), Webpass, and Earthlink Cable (resold TWC).
ipwn3r456

join:2013-07-31
Los Angeles, CA

Re: Alternatives

said by FreeBSDuser:

I do know that sonic.net is available in my area, but I live 10000 feet away from the CO... I don't think I can get fast speeds from that range.

Review by larry1956 See Profile

• Location: Urbana,Champaign,OH
Good "Excellent Performance"
Bad "Price"
Overall "Best service for this area."

Just had their Intelligent Home service installed. In addition to the broadband, VOIP, and cable TV, Intelligent Home offers security for your home like ADT and other home remote management for lighting and other appliances. During the installation process, the technician changed out my broadband modem with an ARRIS TG862GD2 modem. This modem supports broadband, voip, cable tv, and WiFi. Also ithas a 4 port switch. My internet speed boosted from about 15Mbps to about 22Mbps download and from about 1Mbps to 1.9Mbps upload. I am happy with the increased performance and even though this is somewhat pricey, what makes it a deal is that there is no data caps. If and when Comcast takes over, and this is a warning, do not institute data caps!!! If that ever happens, I'd rather go back to old dial up then pay penalty fees for worrying about exceeding data caps.

Comments:
tasmithe

join:2002-09-16
Graham, NC

Huh?

Isn't Urbana-Champaign in IL?
Brucefire

join:2000-08-30
Reynoldsburg, OH

Re: Huh?

It's north of Springfield Ohio and west of Columbus.

Review by wilsoda See Profile

• Location: Northfield,Summit,OH
Good "Getting consistent speeds over max rate"
Bad "Weak tier 1 technical support"
Overall "Working as advertised"

Install went very smoothly other than a coordination issue. I never received a confirmation of when the installer would arrive after I ordered online. I used the online chat the night the rep was quickly able to tell me when installer would be there. Speeds, latency and phone service have been flawless for the first week.

Update.

Upgraded to extreme 50/5 in December 2013. Speeds are great. Annoyingly TWC doesn't seem to have any monitoring system for area outages beyond counting the number of tickets called in. Have had 5 outages in 7 months that I have called to report. In all but one case the rep stated there is no outage and will have to setup an appointment for a tech to come to the house in a few days. This is despite me sharing that friends in the area are also having the problem or pointing out the problem must be upstream of my drop since signal levels look good/modem online/no errors/can ping several hops up the route fine.... The next day things magically start working again and on some occasions I get an automated call saying outage in my area has been resolved. Of course the automated message doesn't tie the outage to my ticket/appointment I have so now I have to call TWC to cancel the appointment.

member for 7 years, 486 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by hstenzel See Profile

• Location: Hillsborough,Orange,NC
Good "At least we have broadband, it's acceptable (even if pricey) when it works."
Bad "Frequent outages, tremendous problems, very long time for any resolution"
Overall "I wish I had a better choice"

I've had Time Warner Cable for internet for a long time. They are (effectively) the only provider in my area.

We seem to go through cycles where it works reasonably well for a while, then tremendous problems, followed by working reasonably well, punctuated by episodic drops and outages, working well, and tremendous problems. Presently I'm in the midst of an extended bout of tremendous problems.

A few observations:

* TWC really does not know when there is a problem
* TWC really does not know what the problem is
* TWC does not do anything unless you call them a whole lot
* TWC support likes to send things back to the beginning, slowing down problem resolution

I'm sure that for simple problems what they do is adequate. But many times I have reported problems that affect my entire town or region and TWC tries to brush it off or roll a tech to just my house. Repeatedly.

When it works, it's fine. I've had periods of a year where it does work properly. But periods of months where it does not work properly and it requires tremendous effort on my part to try to get them to fix the problem. They exhaust me.

Comments:
ernliz

join:2001-11-25
Albemarle, NC

TWC

I agree. TWC has a monopoly in many NC areas. But the $60/mo you cite is for what? Internet alone? I pay around $110 for Standard (15 Mbps) Internet and DVR TV. Not bad. It would help to state just what your $60 is for.....