Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by linjon See Profile

• Location: Astoria,Queens,NY
Good "speed"
Bad "being slammed, and notified it was my fault!"
Overall "moving on to fios"

After starting at ~80/mth 4 years ago, my tricked out signature home with 2 fancy boxes, 2 cheap boxes, overseas phone, all regular channels + hbo + showtime, bill was 285/mth. D/l speed was 275 mb!

I live in Queens, and fios was late to arrive in my area. I don't generally check my bill, but I did yesterday and I found that I had tmc and starz, but I never ordered them. I called and told rep I had been slammed, and she quickly offered me 2 months refund. I reviewed my checks and my monthly fee had jumped on 8/18, by $30, and I told her that, and I asked could I get a refund for those months , but she told me I should check my bill more frequently. ??

Funny thing, when I got home my doorbell rang, and it was a fios marketer. Seems like they finally wired my area.

As for the service"

Sometimes I get the startover ability, sometimes I don't. I've swapped my boxes out 2 or 3 times. The current ones need to go, but I guess I won't be doing that.I had repeated problems getting some channels upstairs ( they came and ran new wire), and it seems to be ok. For a while, after I went from fast speed to super fast, i kept getting dropped, but that's resolved.Phones are ok, but I get 10-15 telemarketers a day, now plus collection companies for ppl I don't know. I asked for a new number, they said it was $100 for that.

Comments:

Review by hchen42 See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Got better speed than I signed up for."
Bad "Lousy presale info"
Overall "$30 for 50Mbps is great value, but I am forced to pay $60 TV which I don't need."

I recently moved into a new building in midtown Manhattan (NYC).

First, this apartment building has a contract with TWC, so I am forced to pay $60 cable TV no matter what. While this has nothing to do with my Internet, I have to deduct one star for value, since I have no other choice but to use TWC to get a "combo discount".

Presale was a ripoff. The supposed account manager assigned to the building made a few mistakes transferring my old account. First she didn't close the old account. Hence I was continued to be charged; they refused to refund. Second, they didn't remove my cable modem, which I own, MAC address from their system. I warned the account manager too. So during the day of installation, we were sitting around for an extra 30 minutes as the back office had remove my MAC address then reassign to my current account. Third which I came to find out later was that the building is entitled to 50Mbps plan for $30. The account manager told me that $30 was for standard (15Mbps) plan. Faster speed would require a higher price. Luckily, I signed up for 15Mbps.

Installation was surprisingly great. The technician was friendly. Most amazingly, he arrived ON-TIME. He checked all the cable outlet, made sure all the outlets have great signal. He made sure everything works before leaving. He made me feel like a valued customer.

When I ran my first speed test, I got 40Mbps on my phone. What? I thought I signed up for 15Mbps. Next, I tested on my laptops, desktop, all achieved 55-57Mbps. Wow. I thought TWC screwed up in my favor. Two days later, when I spoke to the building manager did I realize 50Mbps was the speed I was entitled due to the "forced TV fee" that I was paying. Put it in another way, Instead of lowering the TV price, TWC agree to upgrade speed for standard price for the whole building. WTF, and the account manager never mention this?!?! BTW, this is very common lately in NYC. TWC would strike deals with the apartment building usually for lower price, but everyone in the building must sign up. TWC does this to either "force" everyone in the building to sign up (aka force subscription) or prevent FIOS from coming in.

Connection has been reliable so far. Haven't had to call for any additional services since the installation (happened mid August 2014).

member for 14.9 years, 1587 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

djrobx
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
·VOIPO

Maxx

The reason you're getting 50mbps instead of 15 is because TWC upgraded speeds for everyone in the LA and NYC markets.

»www.timewarnercable.com/en/about···nyc.html

Review by gpfryguy See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Fast downloads, Good for multiple PCs, & Works 90% of the time"
Bad "some channels do not display. PC TV mediocre, Connection losses during the day"
Overall "It's the best of 2 evils in my area."

I signed up for the Triple play, digital cable, phone and internet. I also have upgraded the internet speed because I work from my home.

The order and install process was good. This was a pre-built home which already had cable.

I am renting the Internet modem, and cable box. Modem is a Arris TG862

I work from home, and I experience random disconnects through out the day. I have had many support calls, and when they test things, everything is good for them. They said they can watch the line, but I have not heard anything about it. I am also seeing the cable go out almost every morning around 1am.

The TV cable box is very slow. When I change channels, it is not instant. Sometimes it will take 30 seconds to load the channel. And then other times I can surf, and have to wait for the channels to show up. It runs on a Cisco and takes 5 minutes to boot. Like I posted in the good section, I am over all satisfied, but have to deal with some glitches. From others I have talked to in the neighborhood, it beats dish or other providers.

Comments:
ncted

join:2010-10-25
Durham, NC
·Frontier Communi..

TWC sends modem reset commands frequently

A coworker of mine as documented TWC sending frequent modem reset commands to his modem which is probably the same thing you're seeing which is causing the service to drop out regularly during the day.

Not sure how TWC's cable TV boxes can in any way compare to Dish or DirecTV. You should actually try out the competition, as I have honestly found nothing nearly as bad as TimeWarnerCable Navigator.

Review by xQim See Profile

• Location: Standish,Cumberland,ME
Good "Get Slightly Above Advertised Speed"
Bad "Monopoly, Tech Support Is Terrible, Upload Speeds Are In The Stone Age"
Overall "Get What You Pay For"

·Fairpoint Commun..
*11/07/2014*

Things are going well. Latency is higher then I'd like, but is still within acceptable range. I also got around to connecting my two TWC connections. Output on speedtest.net is about 43Mbps/7.5Mbps. Yes. You absolutely can have more then one cable connection from the same provider.

I will be cancelling TWC if it merges with Comcast. I'll go without internet before I pay a juggernaut monopoly with ever degrading services whilst prices sky rocket.

*09/09/2014*

Upgraded once again because EDLP is so slow. Youtube buffering is unacceptable. I purchased the Extreme (30Mbps/5Mbps) as I could not justify paying $20 extra for 20Mbps download. Now if it was 50Mbps/10Mbps which it should be, then I would have bought it. Anyways, I am satisfied with the service. It is peak hours with (3 other users) and I got above 30Mbps/5Mbps. I've been busy and lazy but I plan to dual-wan operate my business and residential account. So 31Mbps/5.5Mbps + 12Mbps/1.7Mbps roughly, should give me a nice 43Mbps/7.2Mbps (Multi-Sourced only). Cannot wait to see the results. Good work TWC! You finally did you're job and didn't mess things up. And, I got to talk to a woman who was actually knowledgable and spoke fluent English. Amazing!

I know it will happen but please, for the love of humanity, and by some miracle, don't let Comcast merge with TWC! PLEASE!

08/14/2014 *Update*

Downgraded once again to the Everyday Low Price: 2Mbps/1Mbps @ $14.99/Month. I get above advertised speed (2.20Mbps/1.10Mbps). My modem is still using 4 downstream and 4 upstream channels even at this low speed. Somehow my latency has dropped as well. It is what it is, which is sluggish. Depending on the webpage you can tell that it is slow as some sites contain a vast amount of data which causes web pages to have prolonged load times. Youtube and Netflix buffer, and buffer even more if just one more person is using the connection. All in all, I am getting above advertised, but still wish there was some competition. I have a dual-wan router and a quadruple-wan router. In the next couple of days I will load balance this package with my 10Mbps/1.5Mbps Business Connection. I'll post the speed tests. The other picture is the Business Class Connection: 10Mbps/1.5Mbps. The Business Class pricing is ridiculously expensive for the speeds you receive, but what do you expect when TWC is a monopoly, soon to be a mega monopoly called Comcast.

07/28/2014

I recently dropped my internet package from Ultimate 50Mbps/5Mbps (56Mbps/6Mbps) to the Standard Package 15Mbps/1Mbps (16Mbps/1.21Mbps). I did so because TWC was overcharging me for the Ultimate Package. I was quoted $64.99/Month, yet I got charged $89.99/Month. Trying to fix any issue over the phone with TWC is worthless unless you can speak five different languages, enjoy being on hold for long periods of time, and getting hung up on. So I went to the nearest office to dispute the charges. I told the woman there that I was being overcharged and that I was told it would be $64.99/Month. She said, "There is absolutely no way possible that the Ultimate Package was $64.99/Month. I told her to go to TWC website and low and behold I was right. Since TWC is a monopoly around here, I would only be able to receive that $64.99 price once and then it would go up to $89.99. At this point all logics are thrown out the window. Apparently $89.99/Month is a great deal because it usually costs $119.99/Month. I would never pay that so I started asking the prices of every package to which she would tell me the non promotional price. I ran down the list until Basic and said I want to cancel my service then. In order to not lose a customer she finally offered the Standard Package at its promotional price of $34.99/Month, which I agreed to. On speed tests I get 16Mbps/1.21Mbps. I get above advertised speeds but it is still a premium price for junk speed. I realize it could be worse.

TWC launched Roadrunner in 1995 with a 3Mbps/0.384Mbps package and was available in my area shortly thereafter. The price back then was $44.99/Month. The point I'm trying to make is that after 19 years the speeds have slowly gone up as well as the price. It shouldn’t take that long to upgrade. Since there is zero competition, there is no reason for them to upgrade anything. The “South Park” episode regarding cable is pretty much spot on.

The only reason I have TWC is because the only other option is 3Mbps/1Mbps unFaipoint DSL for $59.99/Month. That is not competition at all. I feel bad for the people on unFairpoint as I have used it before and every time I did, I never received the speeds advertised and the connection would drop everyday and my bandwidth would be cut in half for no reason everyday.

The only reason for 3 stars on Install is because I did it myself with my own modem.

No competition = Terrible Service.

Comments:

an0nny

@reliablehosting.com

your $200

you wont ever see it unless you can prove the installer took 2 modems of yours. i.e. video of him taking them.

this if you ever even had 2 modems extra and are not just trying to bad mouth twc.

its your word against their's and w/o any proof you wont get $200.
xQim

join:2003-09-20
·Fairpoint Commun..

Re: your $200

I'm not bad mouthing TWC for the sake of it. I have three witnesses that saw them there and they were mysteriously gone after he finished. Also, Fairpoint had to come out to my house and install a new telephone box because the TWC employee destroyed the box. For what reason? Why would a cable company need to do anything with the telephone box? Umm gee, too stop the competition. So it is actually four individuals against one.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

SA

I wasn't there to see what happened, but since when are you able to purchase an SA modem and use it on the TWC Network. Those modems are generally LEASED and are not for sale.

Bobkatt

@rr.com

Re: SA

Out of curiosity I did a search and SA modems are for sale all over the Internet so they are not only "for lease"

Review by raydsltech See Profile

• Location: Concord,Cabarrus,NC
Good "Great speed,very rarely down back up pretty fast. getting better and better as the years go by."
Bad "expensive"
Overall "got no other choice, lucky to have a great connection where i live. unlike telco who has left copper to rot."

i pretty much live in the sticks. if i had no cable out here it would be slow rotting dsl for me. time warner has been working very hard over the last few years putting up fiber and make my service better and better. they just completed running a fiber and installing a node at the end of my street, which i could not believe considering where i live. when i push to netflix button the movie starts in seconds, consistently. i have the 50 by 5 service which is not cheap but with 2 kids you probably know how bandwidth can get choked in a hurry. like all isps it all depends where you live and what is on the pole. sadly the local telco has forgotten all about our neighborhood and is letting the plant rot in the ground. its too bad because competition is great thing.

Comments:

Review by Snowy See Profile

• Location: Kailua,Honolulu,HI
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (month by month)
Good "Oceanic Cable Vision is the local provider for TimeWarner, this provides a more local avenue for problem resolution"
Bad "Customer perks are available, but not apparent to most customers"
Overall "Hawaii Telcom has become the new DSL provider in my area & I assume they'll give RR a run for the money."

·Clearwire Wireless
There's no question that in The State of Hawaii TWC (Oceanic Cable) is the go to ISP.
Their competitor's best speed is slower than TWC basic.
If you're not fast you're last.

Oceanic (TWC) finally has some competition in the Speed Dept.
hawaiiantel.com is offering:
Fiber 500
High-Speed Internet
Up to 500 Mbps download
Up to 50 Mbps upload
While TWC's fastest plan offers 100 Mbps/5 Mbps
Too bad the now faster speed is offered by hawaiiantel.com which IMO is plagued by incompetent service issues due to the unmotivated, under trained CSR's that don't give a shit about hawaiiantel.com & even less for it's customers.
If you enjoy over billing, extended outages, extremely long telephone hold times, missed service appointments then hawaiintel.com may be a good option to Oceanic.
hawaiiantel.com's 500Mbps/50Mbps is priced @ $345/month with the added value being the McAfee Internet Security Software it comes with

TWC's wifi hotspots are just an added bonus to an already good service package.

member for 11.6 years, 6554 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

ranchocal

@verizon.net

I dunno

Looks like Hawaiian Tel is turning their service around while TWC is letting the trainwreck that is Comcast absorb it. I sense a slight bias in this review.

Snowy
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
·Clearwire Wireless

Re: I dunno

said by ranchocal :

I sense a slight bias in this review.

I must have understated my total contempt for hawaiiantel.com.
An office move a few years back was planned to most miniscule detail for a seamless transition.
hawaiiantel.com took 2 weeks to move the phone lines which almost bankrupted me.
Considering the wiring was supposed to be completed a week prior to move in, not 2 weeks after the move, I am an acknowledged vocal opponent of hawaiiantel.com.

The CS support is humorous in retrospect.
Me: "You're 3 days late getting my phone service up & running - it's killing me - when will the service get installed?
Them: "You're service was installed last week - it must be the wiring within your office - we are not responsible for them once installed
Me: "That's the problem - no one has been here to install anything
Them: "Our records indicate otherwise..."
2 frigging weeks to convince them that their records were incorrect.

Review by jstone00 See Profile

• Location: Tujunga,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Service is stable,good speed after upgrade"
Bad "Billing glitches took 3 calls to resolve"
Overall "Service is expensive, but fast and stable"

·Prodigy Infinitum
·SONIC.NET
I recently moved from one city in Los Angeles County, California, to another. There were a number of options for service at my old residence, but they were limited in the new city. The previous owner of my new residence had Time-Warner Cable as his internet provider, and he was willing to transfer his service to me.

We went to the local TWC office together. He turned in his modem, I signed some paperwork, and I was issued a new modem. The whole process took about 5 minutes. I went back home and connected the new modem, but realized I would have to call Time-Warner and provide the modem's MAC number so it would sync. I did so, and I was up and running at 15 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up.

A week later I traded the modem that Time-Warner had issued for one of my own, a Motorola Surfboard SB6121, so that I could avoid the monthly $5.99 modem rental charge. Again, a call to TWC to provide the MAC address was necessary, but in 10 minutes I was up and running with my new modem. The one glitch in the process was the failure of Time-Warner billing to remove the monthly modem rental fee from my account after I had notified them of the change and returned their modem to the local TWC office. Although I had to call 3 times before this fee was finally removed, I always spoke clearly and politely to whomever was helping me. Experience shows that courtesy always gives the best results when speaking to tech-support or a help desk, and I was credited the over-charges. After 2 months my monthly statement arrived with the correct charges.

Time-Warner recently rolled out new speeds in some areas of the United States, and I was lucky enough to be in one of these areas. For the same price, I am now enjoying 50+ Mbps down, and 5+ Mbps up.

I'll stay with Time-Warner if I can continue to pay $39.99 a month.

Comments:

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID

Stable?

I would love to agree with you that the service is stable.......

Review by mdfudge See Profile

• Location: Palmdale,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Speed is great! 97mbit down m6.1bit up Varies from day to day. Great for Gaming!voi pvpn"
Bad "speed may drop significantly, sometimes high pings but not too much to complain about"
Overall "overpriced even with bundled services, great speed overal I will stay unless DOCSIS3+ or Fios comes to East Palmdale, CA"

I had 5 IP static Legacy DSL with SBC/ATT until they lost my IP set!? imagaine that. Then they said I had to move to a new system it wasn't what I had before. So I switched to TWC Cable RR.com. I ordered the Turbo Package for 49.00 intro.

Install was great, tech wasn't too sharp but I was up and linked in no time flat. Made him put all new connectors on cable. Signal was rock solid. The modem I got originally was an RCA, later I upgraded to an Abit modem.. much faster speeds. Overall my experience with TWC was smooth, I can't really complain since going from DSL to Cable the speeds are incredible.

Comments:

Review by sinaz See Profile

• Location: Encino,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Solid connection, reasonable speeds."
Bad "Lack of any other ISP choice"
Overall "It works. It's reasonably fast."

Well, It's been several years since I've done a review. I figured I'll just do one now since there is a lack of any in my area. This is less about my actual service with TWC and more about lack of competition in the Encino area.

I'll start off by saying that Time Warner here isn't bad by any means. Really I've had no complaints about their communication, their tech roll outs, and service. We've been with TWC for over 7 years and have probably only had outages once every other year (knock on wood) of which only lasted maybe a night. Recently, we called up to add another cable box separate to the living room and also ended up bumping our broadband speeds to the 30/5 tier for the same price we were paying before. Our connection consistently exceeds that by about 5/.5 and again have no complaints.

Most of the problem lies with lack of competition in this area. ATT is the only other provider, and for some reason lacks any competitive packages and connection speeds. Seeing as how U-Verse (VDSL) has been around for quite some time, you would think they'd have rolled it out to places that are somewhat populous. Their speeds max out at 6mbits (what is this 2004?), and their TV service is non existent. The disparity between TWC's packages and ATT's packages begs to question whether they even care about garnering any customers in this region.

Now you may be thinking why this sounds more like a rant/review about ATT especially when my service with TWC has been pretty good. Well, I can assure you it's not that I have a desire to switch over, but more along the lines that if my relationship with TWC does go sour for any reason, I have no where else to go with anything decent.

I understand that most of the country lacks competition and there are areas that are far worse off than I which i feel immensely for, but there is still no excuse for a multi billion dollar corporation with the means to deliver a comparable service in a demanding area to keep delivering archaic technologies. In a perfect world, I would like to see telco/cableco territories knocked down and have them overlap each other for much more competition, but that's not what we're given. Only a few minutes away the choices are somewhat comparable between these duopolies, but over here, it might as well be a monopoly.

Comments:

Review by pumpkinhead7 See Profile

• Location: Clarksburg,Harrison,WV
Good "22mb down and 1mb up"
Bad "Has talked about usage based billing for some time, this will kill the internet. Also might be bought by comcast"
Overall "Pretty good speeds, good reliability, decent price for internet"

TV Packages are priced EXTREMELY high! Comcast is wanting to buy them which will really suck