Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by ppcrusa See Profile

• Location: Reidsville,Rockingham,NC
Good "It worked well up until 3 weeks ago"
Bad "Useless Tier 1 Support, not allowed to talk to higher level support so can give test records showing problems"
Overall "Really bad, they want to send someone out for a problem that is not on premises. "

I used Timewarner years ago when it came to this area. It was really good. Then things got slow and the price kept climbing. Support was worthless. I dropped it for some years.

I went back to it after DSL became too slow for my needs. Initially it ran very well. Started to have modem problems and they replaced modem. Problems were better a short time then started again. Bought my own modem and problems went away until 3 weeks ago. Now every night between 6:30pm EST and 1AM EST my ping goes from 40ms or lower to over 300ms during that time. I've made countless attempts to demonstrate the problem, providing valuable technical information to the support people. I've demonstrated it is NOT a problem here on premises and that it is indeed a server/router problem on their network. Attempts to get to a proper level of support have been impossible.

I've been on hold for an hour and no one answers so I gave up. I had to fight to get a higher tier approval, and nobody even answered. The first time they hung up on me. I have a lot of info on the problem from my own tests from home and from another location during the problematic timeframe and before that timeframe. Even the ones I have spoke to admit it is NOT my modem and the signal looks good. This pull is new and less than 3 yrs old, it shows no sign of degradation. Sending someone out during the day will not show up the problem either.

I can't get anyone intelligent to give that info to so we can solve the problem. Sending a tech out is NOT going to fix this problem because it is NOT the onsite wiring, signal, or equipment. It is within their network (many hops on a traceroute from my equipment) and I have verified this.

I'm a technical person myself and do this for a living in a Director capacity and I tell ya, if this kind of slack behavior went on in my department I would put a stop to it real quick. It looks like I will be dropping them again and going back to cruddy old DSL with a max speed of 6mbps. At least that connection is not filled with latency issues like this one. Timewarner is horrible, and it will only get worse once Comcast absorbs them, as I deal with Comcast Business Class at work. At this point, Comcast is better and I can at least get to the support level with them I need and they will fix something. Timewarner you suck!

Comments:

Review by suprleg See Profile

• Location: Garden Grove,Orange,CA
Good "Reliable and consistant speeds"
Bad "Tech support is marginal"
Overall "Good value for the price"

I've been using [TWC] RR for about six months and have been very happy with my connection's performance and reliability to date. The package I ordered: 8/512 has consistently lived up to the billing and I've rarely found my connection to be below 7.8/485. I've had no problems with the hardware supplied, a RCA digital cable router or the outside cabling. The install was simple and the tech's friendly, knowledgeable, and fast. Since a static ip is only available with business-class accounts I'm on a dhcp connection with a linksys WRT54GX4 acting as my gateway. My only criticism would be in the area of customer support. Its difficult getting information locally on items such as area upgrades and customer service in general. On the whole I'm very pleased even after 5 years of being a loyal Speakeasy DSL customer, who has A+ tech and customer

support.

Updated 4/07/07
About a month ago we were upgraded to 10/1 at no additional monthly charge, hard to not be happy with the increase at no cost.

Updated 12/07/07
Just wanted to note that as the year draws to a close I continue to be pleased with RoadRunner's reliable service and consistant speeds.

Updated 10/27/08
A quick note: I hadn't checked my up/dwn speeds since we were given a free upgrade last year to 10/1 and was pleasantly surprised that my speeds had increased to 11/1.7! Very nice for the same price.

As of 6/4/'10 I'm still very satisfied with TWC/RR, the speeds have increased to 18/1.8,at no additional cost, with few if any interruptions. As I mentioned in the past, customer service is still lacking, however I believe most services suffer from this problem.

1/31/'12: Quick update, I'm still very happy with TWC/RR. Speeds have steadily increased over my time with them, cost has remained the same, and have had zero technical problems. A+

8/8/'12 Speeds, up have remained consistent, however my download speeds have been markedly slower and vary greatly per speed tests over the last few months....I'm in wait and see mode at the moment.

9/9/'13 We recently moved from Garden Grove, Ca. to Cypress, Ca. and tried to simply "transfer" our current account to the new location...Nightmare..!
I guess TWC is no different than any other company these days. After tens of calls to tech support I've managed to find one or two people that speak English, are in the USA, have any tech savvy,etc...etc.. Things are beginning to resolve themselves, but it's been a battle..we do however, finally have a working phone and internet..yay!!

9/1/'14 One year update: After the initial problems of our move to Cypress were resolved things have settled down once again and we're happy with our service. Last month were saw a speed increase to 14MB/down and 2.5MB/up.

member for 10.3 years, 3270 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bbrcat See Profile

• Location: NH
Good "Decent up/down speeds,but they fluctuate"
Bad "speed fluctuations"
Overall "Overall, I am pleased"

Aside from (often dramatic) speed fluctuations, I am pleased and satisfied with my 10/1 (or there abouts) service.Speeds vary
from 11/2.5 down to 1/.7 which gets kind of old sometimes(though adequate still for my needs).

member for 13.7 years, 5081 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Trebonious See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
Good "Still going strong, very little (if any) downtime."
Bad "Modem Fees"
Overall "Left AT&T in 2011 and never looked back."

August 2014 to Present
-----------------------------------------------------------
Still no issues. Speeds are now higher than before pegging 57mb/s down, 5.7mb/s up. Had to call in to get a lower rate. Was paying $95 a month for Ultimate 50. After calling in I was able to get the price dropped to $78 a month which includes modem rental fee.

I still don't notice any drops in speed no matter when checked. Still quite happy with my service. It could be cheaper but everything could be cheaper. I feel I am getting what I am paying for and that's what matters.

June 23rd, 2013 to Mid 2014
-----------------------------------------------------------
Over two full years with Time Warner Cable (still connected to Road Runner services) and couldn't be happier. Recently upgraded to 50/5 service in a roughly 5 minute phone call. Was active before I even got off the phone on the new profile. I'm impressed.

Connection reliability is >99% and still peak at max profile speed even middle of the afternoon.

Extremely happy with the service and as long as TWC continues to provide this level of service without raising prices I'll be sure to be here in 2 more years.

April 5th, 2011 to June 20th 2013
------------------------------------------------------------
Ordered service through Time Warner Cable's for Road Runner with Install dates set to Saturday afternoon and Monday morning. Once the order was completed, it picked Tuesday afternoon. While I understand the necessity of adjusting install dates, I feel that should be reflected on the ordering process. Thankfully they notified me before Monday so I was able to adjust my schedule.

Install techs were great. I had to have a line driven in through the wall which was done with little mess. It is very neat and professionally installed and signals were checked to be within spec at time of install. Speeds immediately pegged full speed of 30/5 mid-afternoon.

As far as reliability goes, the connection is roughly 2000% more reliable compared to my ADSL connection through AT&T which dropped 10-20 times a day. The only real reliability issues that came up were minor outages at 2 am. And typically those only last 10-15 minutes. So not a big deal to me. And in the evenings I can sometimes notice the downstream drop to 25-26 vs the 30. But really, 25-26 gives me no visible issues.

For now my connection is running just as I want it to. As soon as anything changes (for the good or bad) I'll be updating this review.

Comments:

Review by hawk82 See Profile

• Location: Oakland,Kennebec,ME
Good "Lots of bandwidth, little port filtering from what I can tell"
Bad "Vonage doesn't sound as good as it was when I was with VZ Business DSL."
Overall "Haven't made up my mind yet."

Was with VZ Business DSL. While it worked well, I was out too far from the CO to get the full connection. I need more bandwidth for two VoIP lines, plus downloads and patches for customer's computers, VPNs, remote troubleshooting, etc.

Called on a Tuesday I believe. Spoke with a sales rep who seemed pretty good. He forgo the normal Site Survey. I only have two business computers so I gave him that information. I fit under the Business Lite service. He arranged an install a few days later.

TWC Installer came out around 9am. He had an attitude. I explained to the installer that I had already ran a new RG-11 run through underground conduit and all I needed was to have him hook the line up the pole at an available tap and two end connectors put on the wire. He wasn't too happy about climbing the pole, but got the work done quickly in about 20mins. I had explained to the sales rep that I would run this cable, thus making this install real easy on the tech. I guess the sales person didn't pass this information onto the installers ticket.

Up and running. Seems to be good. My vonage line doesn't sound all that great. Sounded better on the VZ line actually.

Will update this at a later point.

1/12/2014: Have had this service for several years now. I had issues probably 3-4 yrs ago where the modem would lose sync about every 30 minutes. Had several techs come out and try this or that. Finally they admitted to a problem on the cable plant and would send out a maintenance crew to locate the issue. Problems continues for a few months after that. Never heard whether they actually repaired anything or not. Issue seemed to have gone away. Still no battery backups on their plant however. Really annoying. Doesn't look like they'll ever address that. I get a weekly mailing (to the service address & billing address) from TWC urging me to order their overpriced digital phone service. I occasionally get phone calls from random sales reps trying to get me to order the phone service as well. I tell them I pay less than $20 a month for 2 VoIP lines & 800#. That usually shuts them up for another year, as they cannot compete at that rate. Price wise, I've only had one increase, now paying $85.95 a month. It is a grandfathered plan from what I can tell. A similar current package would cost me 2x as much. No thanks, I'll keep this package.

8/22/2014: Nothing new to report.

member for 13.4 years, 3939 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by AhnHEL See Profile

• Location: Bayside,Queens,NY
Good "Reliable, consistent service"
Bad "Expensive"
Overall "Decent service, wish wideband was cheaper"

·Optimum Online
Jumped ship from TWC to FIOS. Enjoying the better Upload speeds and lower latency that FIOS provides.

member for 14 years, 2913 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by TDOG See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "Internet connection is fairly reliable"
Bad "TV picture quality goes bad randomly "
Overall "TOO EXPENSIVE"

I watch about 25% of the channels I'm paying for....The rest are CRAP! Classic TV package and 15/1 internet.

Comments:
OpTiC

Re: Review

It's your problem for paying for that tier you don't need

TDOG

join:2000-04-30
Louisville, KY

Re: Review

classic tier....It's that or basic . You sound like you work for TWC.
HA! What are you? 15?

Re: Review

You can cancel service and switch to Uverse or call up TWC for a better price. Vitality pays 114.99 for a triple play with Ulimate internet, preferred tv, and phone. A 5-30 minutes phone call can lower your bill.

West Covina, CA
Be a little specific what tier do pay and also be specific on your review. If you can afford this then you can't afford anything the same price for Uverse or Fios. I think my bill is expensive, but I have no problem paying it.

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID
Evidently you never had Comcast huh? They are expensive. But you are paying too much, I only pay 94.76 and that includes 1 set top box w/ DVR and every tier except movies and 15/1 internet.

Re: Review

I had Comcast before when Adelphia took over my area. Then it became TWC.

Review by lms See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Great Performance. Maybe one outage a year."
Bad "Recovery from an outage once took the entire weekend."
Overall "Great performance and reliability"

I have had my service with Time Warner for over 10 years (Media One, Comcast, Time Warner) and wouldn't switch for anything short of Fiber.

I rarely have an outage and when I do it usally is restored in a couple of hours (Once there was a two day wait over the weekend) and CS is always friendly and helpful.

Comments:

Review by iansltx See Profile

• Location: Austin,Travis,TX
Good "Fast speeds, available where I live, Tier 3 customer service is great"
Bad "Must rent your modem for 16x4 for now, expensive"
Overall "Thanks to the Maxx upgrade, this is a pretty good option now"

·Verizon Online DSL
UPDATE 8-9-14

A few days ago I logged into my desktop remotely because I saw a friend in the area saying that his internet speed had been upgraded to Maxx (he's on 200/20). Sure enough, mine had been as well...well, as much as TWC will let a SB6141 do (100 down, 10 up). When I got back home, I swapped back in the TWC-provided Arris modem I've had since Maxx started in the area (just not for me), tried activating it, and was given a failure message, followed by "call this number if you have issues, or this number if you're in NYC, or this number if you're in Austin or LA." I called the Austin/LA number and got a friendly, reasonable knowledgeable guy on the other end of the line to activate the modem. After he got it running, he transferred me to a San Antonio-based gal in Tier 3 Support who switched the gateway to bridge mode so my own router could get a public IP address (lost v6 though ).

So now I can do this:

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3679312732

Not too happy about having to rent a 16x4 modem to hit even 200x20, but I'll survive for now, since 200x20 is less expensive even with modem rental than what Comcast charges for 150x20 elsewhere. The upload speed is great though, that's for sure.

UPDATE 4-16-14

Over the past few days TWC has been down for a fair amount. Last night, the downtime was measured in hours.

But when the service came back online (around 3am), I got this:

»imgur.com/mIORvx3

Speed tests register about 56.7 Mbps down and 5.6 Mbps up at this point. So no Maxx upgrades just yet, but my area is certainly ready for them (the only reason I don't see more downstream channels is that my modem doesn't support 'em).

UPDATE 8-10-13

Got my latest bill. As expected, I'll be paying around $11 more than before, with the total coming to just shy of $96 per month. Technically the dollars-per-megabit is negligibly higher thanks to the overprovisioning boost a week ago. But the service is still quite expensive, whatever way you slice it. And I've been having disconnection issues due to low SNR over the past few days.

UPDATE 8-6-13

On the 3rd I rebooted my modem to get a 10% speed boost; TWC no longer does PowerBoost but is now overprovisioning the speeds of their tiers at 15/1 and higher. There are times where I don't quite get those speeds, but at other times I'm hitting closer to 55/5.5 than 50/5. Nothing huge, but still nice.

Other than that, no upgrades to the plant that I can see. My modem SNR is actually down a bit from before...only 36-37 dB. My connection is still reliable, but it wouldn't take much to kill this reliability.

I got a letter in the mail today saying that TWC had extended the promo price of my tier...sort of. The amount I pay is going up by $10/mo, but that puts me at $90 (plus taxes and fees, so the upcharge will be more like $10.83) rather than $105. As such, I'll probably stick with my 50/5 tier, as the new promo rate is good until this time next year. Hopefully I'll be on Google Fiber by then, as paying nearly $100 for 50/5 isn't my idea of a fun time.

UPDATE 6-29-13

A month or two ago I ordered an SB6141 and returned the TWC-provided gateway, so now my bill is $85 instead of $89 (soon to be $90, or even more). The company messed up something with provisioning, such that I was offline for an hour and change the day I returned the modem, but they fixed it.

Service is still reasonably reliably and speedy, and TWC isn't complaining about the ~340GB that I've transferred this month (much of it uploads due to reseeding/updating online backups). However during peak hours Twitch.tv and YouTube become an utter buffer-fest at higher bitrates, unless I tunnel to SoftLayer or the like.

I'll probably downgrade to 30/5 as soon as my promo pricing wears off (probably after this coming billing cycle), unless TWC offers to extend the promo pricing. The extra 20 Mbps of download speed is nice, but uploads are where I'm really hurting, and the 50 Mbps plan doesn't offer any benefit to that end...so I wait impatiently for Google Fiber to solve that problem.

UPDATE 11-12-12

According to my latest bill, Austin now has the $3.95 modem rental fee (plus tax), boosting the price I'm paying for 50/5 to $89.32 per month. I'll be ordering a Zoom 5341J modem pretty soon to avoid this rental fee, and I'll come out ahead within 20 months of that purchase (less if TWC hikes modem rental rates again).

According to TWC's meter, I used 172, 202 and 148 GB of data in August, September and October, respectively. So far this month I've used 162 GB due to my backup partial reseed. Those numbers sound accurate, given what I've been doing on my 'net connection, and they don't matter too much anyway since my tier is still uncapped. If you work things out, my cost per gigabyte is between 40 and 50 cents...more than I'd pay on AT&T with one of their 250GB plans, but also more reliable and faster (17x faster on downloads, 7x faster on uploads, accounting for DSL overhead).

UPDATE 11-10-12

Service still appears to be humming along. I'll be reseeding a backup this month but am not worried that TWC will get onto me about that since I don't do heavy downloading/uploading during peak periods (it's either afternoons before everyone gets home or late at night). At any rate, there's no cap.

The only times I get high latency is when I'm pegging the connection in one or both directions. Which is right now, since I'm pulling 6 MB/s on a few parallel downloads. Otherwise, the connection is completely snappy. For example, pings to a California game server are ~59ms and Netflix buffers in a couple seconds and switches to HD after well under a minute (probably the fault of Netflix more than the cable connection that it takes that long).

Again, I'm pretty much a captive audience for TWC...I'm not going to switch to 3M AT&T DSL or throttled, latency-ridden Clear WiMAX (or throttled/capped cellular or satellite service). Grande Communications, which I'd switch to in a heartbeat if they were available, isn't available in this part of town, and the remaining options all cost hundreds of dollars per month (MegaPath EoC or whatever). So TWC it is.

UPDATE 8-17-12

Service appears to be performing as expected. Speeds are in the high forties or low fifties down, 5 Mbps up. I may run Ethernet to make sure I get full speeds...since I'm on a 2.4GHz-only router in an apartment complex, the last few feet may be my weak link.

I checked my bill just now (after signing up for TWC PayXpress and turning off paper billing) and TWC overcharged me by $1.77 on its last credit card payment, leaving me with a $21.77 service credit. The other $20 was applied by TWC's Twitter team as an apology for the installation coordination issues...I'd rather have had no issues with the install than $20, but I'll take it!

As far as what I'm actually paying, it looks like standard Internet service here in Austin is $54.99 per month. Add Another $50 for 50/5, then take away $25 due to the promo I'm on. Modem rental ($2.50), taxes ($3.12) and fees (a regulatory cost recovery charge of 36 cents) bring my total to $85.97 per month for my first twelve months of service.

So if I was in Comcast territory where FiOS was available or nearby, I could get faster service (50/10) for a comparable price (including modem rental, I think)...and I'm paying more for TWC 'net access than AT&T charges for any of their DSL tiers...but for where I am this isn't the worst deal ever.

Speaking of what AT&T charges for their DSL tiers, I could get the highest-end service that's available here for $19.95 per month for twelve months, if I commit to a year contract. But it's 3M down, 768K up at best so that's not happening (and TWC offers its 3M plan for $19.99 per month for the first twleve months with no contract anyway). It's extra annoying that no high speeds are offered here because there's a VRAD ust down the block from the entrance to my apartment complex, along with buried fiber optical cable warnings on the streets nearby. Guess the phone lines in here must be really, really screwy to keep that VRAD from serving me at 18 Mbps over, say, two pairs (so 5000 wire feet).

ORIGINAL REVIEW (8-15-12)

In this particular apartment complex (NW Austin), AT&T provides DSL and TWC provides cable. Unfortunately, AT&T tops out at 3 Mbps at my particular apartment, so for telecommuting, gaming, etc. that wasn't going to work. Since I had 50/15 connectivity from Comcast in Colorado (see my review of them), I decided to go for TWC's 50M tier (5M up). I dont need the extra download speed, but I heard rumblings that TWC will upgrade the tier's upload speeds, something that I'd find quite handy for transferring large files/photos/videos (hence my having 50M service in Colorado).

ORDERING & INSTALLATION

I ordered service in late July, as early as I could for an expected mid-August install (I moved into my new apartment on the 14th, so an install on the 15th was ideal). The 50/5 tier, Internet-only, came to $82.49 per month including modem rental and after a $20 discount (which lasts one year). Installation was either cheap ($50) or free.

I received an e-mail from TWC a day or two later asking me to reschedule my install...I had picked 8/16 (valid on Time Warner Cable's website) but apparently the schedule didn't actually go out that far. I rescheduled for the 13th temporarily; I would call them back to reschedule for after the 14th later.

A week and a half or so prior to my install, I called up TWC again to reschedule. The customer service rep's English could use work, but I gathered that he had rescheduled me for 8/15 at 8am. Perfect! Or not...

On the 13th, while I was still not in my apartment quite yet, I got a couple voicemails from TWC (my phone was off at that point). I found out by a follow-up call to them that the installation reschedule request didn't take, something I hadn't been notified about. On that same call, I rescheduled the install as early as was then possible: 1-3pm on Saturday.

This was far less than ideal, and the scheduling snafu wasn't my fault, so I contacted TWC via Twitter. They put a tech supervisor on the situation and I got a call several hours later letting me know that I'd have an installer by in the 10am window on the 15th, pending availability. I thanked the supervisor and ended the call.

This morning (8/15) I got an e-mail from TWC stating that the insatllation was complete, though no tech had yet showed. Calls to TWC's automated system listed my order as complete (no additional info) as well. A call to a TWC support rep cleared things up: one system still had the 8/13 install date set, and my tech would arrive in the 8a-noon window.

At just before 10am, a TWC tech called me and let me know that he was arriving. The first part of his installation job was outside my apartment. Having finished that, he came inside around 10:25am. By 10:45, he was gone and the Motorola SBG6580 he brought with him was serving up my 50/5 connection. I then logged into the modem (admin/motorola are the default username/password), disabled NAT and turned off wireless connectivity, effectively turning the gateway into a bridged modem without needing to call TWC to get them to make the change. The wireless on the gateway seemed to work fine for the few minutes that I used it, but I trust my Amped Wireless R10000G more (and, while the Motorola was able to just barely provide advertised speeds over wireless, the Amped actually exceeds those speeds).

In short, the install itself was fine (though I tidied up some cables after the tech left). The scheduling for it wasn't a pleasant process, but TWC ended up getting things done when I wanted them to, so I can't fault them too much.

STATS

My 8x4 (DS/US) bonding capable gateway is currently bonding four downstream channels (roughly 42dB SNR and between -1 and -3 dBmV power levels)...and not bonding upstreams. I'm sitting on a 3.2MHz-wide channel that's probably modulating at 16QAM. This makes me concerned about whether I'll be able to get my full 5 Mbps of upload speed at all times, but things seem fine so far.

As I mentioned, speed tests show that I'm getting my full (50 Mbps down, 5 Mbps up) provisioned speed, with no PowerBoost or other shenanigans. I can actually hit above 50 Mbps for download speeds to some servers, though in other cases I'm below 50. It averages out to be a fast connection though, right at what I'm paying for.

Latency and jitter aren't rock-solid like you'd see on a well-groomed FastPath DSL line or FTTH, however both figures are pretty good, with 10ms to TWC Austin core and a few milliseconds of jitter. So VoIP and gaming shouldn't be an issue at all, though TWC routes a lot of their traffic over Cogent, which may not take the most direct route to a given website. Due to backbone-level decisions, I've seen connections that "feel" faster (for example, LTE on my Sprint phone in Fort Worth), however the TWC connection feels faster than my Comcast connection did, and non-Powerboosted speeds should allow me to do better QoS so that I can game and upload photos at the same time

member for 7.5 years, 3296 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Angry TWC

@rr.com

TWC SUX

When I first got them, they were $47 a month,(I own my own modem) They increase your bill every couple months, and now its almost $60, all the while the speeds go down. I'm on 10/1mb. When TWC (The WORST Cable) picked up Adephia, when they all went to prison, they plugged Buffalo into the already oversubscribed Rochester-->East system. In evenings, theres no possible gaming its so slow while everyone downloads their Netflix. I nominally average 3-4mb while I pay for 10. Theres no competition in town, Versleazon wont put FIOS in the cities, just the rich suburbs. We're working with the state to sue them for discriminatory practices.

built

@rr.com

New residential

Where can I buy a gutter box for my exterior wall that recieves service and excepts house cabling?

Review by horacebork See Profile

• Location: 09001
Good "service, support, reliability, value"
Bad "price goes up. regularly."
Overall "basically good service. wish their internet-only rates were more competetive."

(note: i only use twc for my cable internet. i do not use them for tv as i receive good reception and am not interested in 95% of cable programming.)

originally was resold twc thru ny connect. ny connect was essentially a pass-thru company and offered no value-added services. twc handled all my technical and account level support, so ny connect was essentially of no added value.

we have had power or service disruptions on several occasions. in each instance, twc very supportive. nyc was working on the road in front of my building and cut the line at least twice. in both instances they were prompt sending out service staff to perform repairs. and when the repairs were not completed within a 24 hour period, they prorated my fees for the month.

this past december (2013) they offered a year-end deal. for $10 less they offered double the download and upload speeds. when i called in, they said this was for first time customers. however, the rep simply offered the discounted rate to me anyways. for that, i had to terminate my service with the essentially useless ny connect and directly subscribe with twc. perhaps that was what allowed them to offer me the discounted rate.

at one point they "changed" their service and were going to start "renting" the cable modem to me at $5/mo. i thought this was a little greedy so i bought a cable modem (listed on their approved list) for myself ($40 motorola surfboard). works fine. they even recognize it from their end.

they regularly increase their rates without increasing up/down speeds. this is really nervy. there is not much cost difference between 20mbs and 40mbs. but the price they increase my services far outstrips any difference incurred by greater up/down speeds.

oh well, i am hoping that i can renew my current monthly rate this december.

[update] converted my subscription form nyconnect to twc directly. ny connect offered no value added services. rates were higher than direct to twc.