Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by antdude See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Good speeds and uptimes."
Bad "Sometimes technical problems on their ends like outages, firmware problems with modems, support, prices go up every year, etc."
Overall "Good when it works."

I used to have Excite@Home (early 2001 with brand new cable lines since this old nest never had cable before) and Adelphia PowerLink for broadband Internet before they went bust and TWC took over. During those early days since 3/10/2001 for several years sucked badly (DNSes didn't work, uptimes and speeds (e.g., 150 kB/sec during the early morning hours) were awful, etc.). Adelphia finally upgraded their cable system to be DOCSIS in the city, and it was fast and stable! And then, they went out of business.

TWC reused the same cable system. Once in a while, there are outages (usually short ones), slow speeds, etc. Very rare, there are long ones. I think the longest uptime was almost all daytime, but TWC will make up for the time loss of your next bill if you tell them especially if it is a known issue in the area. Support can be bad though due to incompetent people. However, there are forums and chats on TWC's web site, avsforum, and on this web site with people (official and subscribers) who can help through online supports.

Note that I still can't get any fast and cheap broadband services (e.g., DSL is too far due to 20K feet to CO according to GTE and Verizon). Also, no FIOS. Dial-up sucks (3 KB/sec) and lots of line noises.

Also, my old nest's service ended on 9/5/2014 afternoon PDT. I am still using TWC in the new nest with its triple bundled service. The review is pretty much the same (no DSL [used to have it too with the previous owners]). Prices still keep going up!

member for 13.5 years, 5627 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

antdude
United State

No one likes my review, eh?

:P

·Verizon Wireless..

Your review is about right

Though help on this site doesn't do any good if the techs in your area just flat out suck and not trained on HSI service. It's not like the freaking customer can replace the line from the house to the node with in reason. Get trash support on that and well your just screwed. Corporate is 100% useless at TWC. Online chat is useless and phone support is on the other side of this earth and even more useless because at least one can mostly understand chat support even if there full of BS.

Now a oddly happy Comcast customer because at lest the local techs aren't 100% clueless and have there own laptops to test with unlike the overly cheap TWC.

I thought Comcast was worse? I guess I will find out after the merger happens.

A lot say that, but haven't had both in the past two years like me, so I have seen how both run unlike most posters.

The Comcast tech replaced my line and had his own PC to run test, the Time Warner cable tech had his two eyes, a hammer and a beat up old truck with limited TV know how and internet was like on some other planet to him. (Didn't understand what tethering a cellphone was and if that worked and TWC didn't then the PC was likely fine. Had no understanding of signal levels at all nor did he get why a bunch of 404/ 1min load times for web pages was bad. Didn't get that up to doesn't mean 1mbs on a 10mbs plan should be okay. Didn't get what internet speed meant at all really. And wanted $100 for a "BS call".)

I thought Comcast was worse? I guess I will find out after the merger happens.

Interesting. Adelphia and TWC install guys seems OK for my parents and me. I never had to have anyone come over to fix issues. I do agree support sucks on phone and online.

said by antdude:

The funny part was that the Time warner cable tech wanted me to prove that the PC could in fact use and work with the internet before he would do anymore and that if I called again it would cost me so then when I showed him the PC tethered to the phone, he said "so it is working and you called me out here for BS. Your going to have to pay for that".

The levels of stupid, just never stopped amazing me.
OpTiC

join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

The TWC techs uses a laptop but it's a Panasonic.

DrDrew
That others may surf
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

Re: Your review is about right

Panasonic Toughbooks are common with telcom workers and others working outdoors needing a tougher computer. I had one several years ago.
You cannot fix a problem that you refuse to acknowledge.
sherazbutts

join:2014-09-20
Pakistan
ptcl speed test
i check my PTCL speed test with »www.pakistanihub.pk/2014/09/ptcl···est.html you can see my speed test result above screenshot... my internet speed is 16 mb but above pictures results is different can you tell me the site which speed test accurately..

Review by Matt_31 See Profile

• Location: Jasper,Dubois,IN
Good "70% Uptime Since takeover from Insight BB"
Bad "Failure times can be problematic, support and hardware availability poor"
Overall "When working it can be a great service but if problems it can be a real pain."

·Insight Communic..
9-7-14

Time Warner Took over from Insight BB, and did some upgrades that were badly needed and it has helped service for over the last year. However it was a big nightmare. They sent us discount offerings and deals and our area refused to offer them and I couldn't get a hold of anyone to enforce something they were offered as you were required to have a TWC email. Which while we did, it didn't recognize our area as twc. I was very pissed. Anytime you call to talk to a supervisor you get the they are busy and will call you back in 24 hour. DON'T fall for this as THEY NEVER do. I have filled sooo many complaints about this and nothing was ever done. I still to this day I have yet to hear from someone about it and its been almost a year. Finally I did get a hold of something in corporate and they made the local office region enforce the deal offering that was sent to us (and everyone in our area). I never once got a apology. Also this summer my Cablecard fried and they tried to replace it with a single channel card. I had to go through hell and act of congress to get a multichannel one. According to corporate they were not to even have the single cards. I was called a liar and other things so I called the corporate office of Cablecards right in the tech office on my cell phone (since they refused to) and they chewed out the crew there ON MY CELL. I got a whole whopping $17 discount. After the time and energy I went through I felt my bill should have been free. Let along they had to ship me a new cablecard and I had to wait a WEEK. For the card.

My thing is you shouldn't need to call or talk to support. I am a tech person myself and I know much more than the general public and I understand most problems are human/hardware errors. So Just simple things can make the difference. However most of the time in my cases (as my neighbors and family) it has not be these general problems. Now after a year of being with Time Warner we are going to be with some other company due to another buy out. If we had reasonable internet options I would take it however out there we don't. I would take direct tv in a second. However this leaves us without the proper reasonable internet. There has been talk about our local area making its own internet and im all for it if they do.

Comments:
why60loss

join:2012-09-20

I agree with this review

There support is a stay at the non-service hotel and it's take it our way or we do it all to you.

Review by Quasar009 See Profile

• Location: USA

July 29, 2014 Ubee router.

Comments:
Quasar009

join:2014-09-04
USA

Tech Support

11:29 A.M. EDT
Sat.
Sept. 6, 2014

They are trying to help me.

Review by voltara See Profile

• Location: Buffalo,Erie,NY
Good "Reliable connection, stable speeds, good customer service"
Bad "No longer competitive"
Overall "A solid choice, but consider your options first"

I was a loyal Turbo tier (20/2) subscriber for nearly 10 years. Aside from the occasional early morning blip due to network maintenance, I had very few problems with my connection during that time.

Customer service and technical support were always helpful and friendly, both in person (at the TWC Store a block away from me) and over the phone (I work upstairs from one of TWC's call centers, and their 800 number would invariably route me there. And yes, they were helpful and friendly even before I mentioned that to them!) With many large companies offshoring their support departments, it's refreshing to deal with local people.

I gave a low mark for pre-sales information because they don't tell you what their service actually costs - all they show you are the introductory rates which are only good for the first year. The lack of transparency in pricing is inexcusable.

Also, the idea of jacking up prices after a year boggles my mind - what better way to encourage customer turnover? Instead, they should offer a loyalty discount. If they did, I would still be a customer today.

So what made me jump ship? Competition. I could get 25/25 from Verizon (undiscounted) for the same price I was paying TWC for 20/2. And the 75/75 that I'm getting from Verizon now? There's simply no comparable offering from TWC, and my city is not even on the roadmap for their Maxx network upgrade.

Would I come back as a customer? Sure, but first TWC has a lot of catching up to do in both product and price. (Of course, they'll need to pull ahead of the competition, because why else would I bother?)

Comments:

Review by ppcrusa See Profile

• Location: Reidsville,Rockingham,NC
Good "It worked well up until 3 weeks ago"
Bad "Useless Tier 1 Support, not allowed to talk to higher level support so can give test records showing problems"
Overall "Really bad, they want to send someone out for a problem that is not on premises. "

I used Timewarner years ago when it came to this area. It was really good. Then things got slow and the price kept climbing. Support was worthless. I dropped it for some years.

I went back to it after DSL became too slow for my needs. Initially it ran very well. Started to have modem problems and they replaced modem. Problems were better a short time then started again. Bought my own modem and problems went away until 3 weeks ago. Now every night between 6:30pm EST and 1AM EST my ping goes from 40ms or lower to over 300ms during that time. I've made countless attempts to demonstrate the problem, providing valuable technical information to the support people. I've demonstrated it is NOT a problem here on premises and that it is indeed a server/router problem on their network. Attempts to get to a proper level of support have been impossible.

I've been on hold for an hour and no one answers so I gave up. I had to fight to get a higher tier approval, and nobody even answered. The first time they hung up on me. I have a lot of info on the problem from my own tests from home and from another location during the problematic timeframe and before that timeframe. Even the ones I have spoke to admit it is NOT my modem and the signal looks good. This pull is new and less than 3 yrs old, it shows no sign of degradation. Sending someone out during the day will not show up the problem either.

I can't get anyone intelligent to give that info to so we can solve the problem. Sending a tech out is NOT going to fix this problem because it is NOT the onsite wiring, signal, or equipment. It is within their network (many hops on a traceroute from my equipment) and I have verified this.

I'm a technical person myself and do this for a living in a Director capacity and I tell ya, if this kind of slack behavior went on in my department I would put a stop to it real quick. It looks like I will be dropping them again and going back to cruddy old DSL with a max speed of 6mbps. At least that connection is not filled with latency issues like this one. Timewarner is horrible, and it will only get worse once Comcast absorbs them, as I deal with Comcast Business Class at work. At this point, Comcast is better and I can at least get to the support level with them I need and they will fix something. Timewarner you suck!

Comments:

Review by suprleg See Profile

• Location: Garden Grove,Orange,CA
Good "Reliable and consistant speeds"
Bad "Tech support is marginal"
Overall "Good value for the price"

I've been using [TWC] RR for about six months and have been very happy with my connection's performance and reliability to date. The package I ordered: 8/512 has consistently lived up to the billing and I've rarely found my connection to be below 7.8/485. I've had no problems with the hardware supplied, a RCA digital cable router or the outside cabling. The install was simple and the tech's friendly, knowledgeable, and fast. Since a static ip is only available with business-class accounts I'm on a dhcp connection with a linksys WRT54GX4 acting as my gateway. My only criticism would be in the area of customer support. Its difficult getting information locally on items such as area upgrades and customer service in general. On the whole I'm very pleased even after 5 years of being a loyal Speakeasy DSL customer, who has A+ tech and customer

support.

Updated 4/07/07
About a month ago we were upgraded to 10/1 at no additional monthly charge, hard to not be happy with the increase at no cost.

Updated 12/07/07
Just wanted to note that as the year draws to a close I continue to be pleased with RoadRunner's reliable service and consistant speeds.

Updated 10/27/08
A quick note: I hadn't checked my up/dwn speeds since we were given a free upgrade last year to 10/1 and was pleasantly surprised that my speeds had increased to 11/1.7! Very nice for the same price.

As of 6/4/'10 I'm still very satisfied with TWC/RR, the speeds have increased to 18/1.8,at no additional cost, with few if any interruptions. As I mentioned in the past, customer service is still lacking, however I believe most services suffer from this problem.

1/31/'12: Quick update, I'm still very happy with TWC/RR. Speeds have steadily increased over my time with them, cost has remained the same, and have had zero technical problems. A+

8/8/'12 Speeds, up have remained consistent, however my download speeds have been markedly slower and vary greatly per speed tests over the last few months....I'm in wait and see mode at the moment.

9/9/'13 We recently moved from Garden Grove, Ca. to Cypress, Ca. and tried to simply "transfer" our current account to the new location...Nightmare..!
I guess TWC is no different than any other company these days. After tens of calls to tech support I've managed to find one or two people that speak English, are in the USA, have any tech savvy,etc...etc.. Things are beginning to resolve themselves, but it's been a battle..we do however, finally have a working phone and internet..yay!!

9/1/'14 One year update: After the initial problems of our move to Cypress were resolved things have settled down once again and we're happy with our service. Last month were saw a speed increase to 14MB/down and 2.5MB/up.

member for 10.4 years, 3283 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bbrcat See Profile

• Location: NH
Good "Decent up/down speeds,but they fluctuate"
Bad "speed fluctuations"
Overall "Overall, I am pleased"

Aside from (often dramatic) speed fluctuations, I am pleased and satisfied with my 10/1 (or there abouts) service.Speeds vary
from 11/2.5 down to 1/.7 which gets kind of old sometimes(though adequate still for my needs).

member for 13.8 years, 5089 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Trebonious See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
Good "Still going strong, very little (if any) downtime."
Bad "Modem Fees"
Overall "Left AT&T in 2011 and never looked back."

August 2014 to Present
-----------------------------------------------------------
Still no issues. Speeds are now higher than before pegging 57mb/s down, 5.7mb/s up. Had to call in to get a lower rate. Was paying $95 a month for Ultimate 50. After calling in I was able to get the price dropped to $78 a month which includes modem rental fee.

I still don't notice any drops in speed no matter when checked. Still quite happy with my service. It could be cheaper but everything could be cheaper. I feel I am getting what I am paying for and that's what matters.

June 23rd, 2013 to Mid 2014
-----------------------------------------------------------
Over two full years with Time Warner Cable (still connected to Road Runner services) and couldn't be happier. Recently upgraded to 50/5 service in a roughly 5 minute phone call. Was active before I even got off the phone on the new profile. I'm impressed.

Connection reliability is >99% and still peak at max profile speed even middle of the afternoon.

Extremely happy with the service and as long as TWC continues to provide this level of service without raising prices I'll be sure to be here in 2 more years.

April 5th, 2011 to June 20th 2013
------------------------------------------------------------
Ordered service through Time Warner Cable's for Road Runner with Install dates set to Saturday afternoon and Monday morning. Once the order was completed, it picked Tuesday afternoon. While I understand the necessity of adjusting install dates, I feel that should be reflected on the ordering process. Thankfully they notified me before Monday so I was able to adjust my schedule.

Install techs were great. I had to have a line driven in through the wall which was done with little mess. It is very neat and professionally installed and signals were checked to be within spec at time of install. Speeds immediately pegged full speed of 30/5 mid-afternoon.

As far as reliability goes, the connection is roughly 2000% more reliable compared to my ADSL connection through AT&T which dropped 10-20 times a day. The only real reliability issues that came up were minor outages at 2 am. And typically those only last 10-15 minutes. So not a big deal to me. And in the evenings I can sometimes notice the downstream drop to 25-26 vs the 30. But really, 25-26 gives me no visible issues.

For now my connection is running just as I want it to. As soon as anything changes (for the good or bad) I'll be updating this review.

member for 13.2 years, 1523 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by hawk82 See Profile

• Location: Oakland,Kennebec,ME
Good "Lots of bandwidth, little port filtering from what I can tell"
Bad "Vonage doesn't sound as good as it was when I was with VZ Business DSL."
Overall "Haven't made up my mind yet."

Was with VZ Business DSL. While it worked well, I was out too far from the CO to get the full connection. I need more bandwidth for two VoIP lines, plus downloads and patches for customer's computers, VPNs, remote troubleshooting, etc.

Called on a Tuesday I believe. Spoke with a sales rep who seemed pretty good. He forgo the normal Site Survey. I only have two business computers so I gave him that information. I fit under the Business Lite service. He arranged an install a few days later.

TWC Installer came out around 9am. He had an attitude. I explained to the installer that I had already ran a new RG-11 run through underground conduit and all I needed was to have him hook the line up the pole at an available tap and two end connectors put on the wire. He wasn't too happy about climbing the pole, but got the work done quickly in about 20mins. I had explained to the sales rep that I would run this cable, thus making this install real easy on the tech. I guess the sales person didn't pass this information onto the installers ticket.

Up and running. Seems to be good. My vonage line doesn't sound all that great. Sounded better on the VZ line actually.

Will update this at a later point.

1/12/2014: Have had this service for several years now. I had issues probably 3-4 yrs ago where the modem would lose sync about every 30 minutes. Had several techs come out and try this or that. Finally they admitted to a problem on the cable plant and would send out a maintenance crew to locate the issue. Problems continues for a few months after that. Never heard whether they actually repaired anything or not. Issue seemed to have gone away. Still no battery backups on their plant however. Really annoying. Doesn't look like they'll ever address that. I get a weekly mailing (to the service address & billing address) from TWC urging me to order their overpriced digital phone service. I occasionally get phone calls from random sales reps trying to get me to order the phone service as well. I tell them I pay less than $20 a month for 2 VoIP lines & 800#. That usually shuts them up for another year, as they cannot compete at that rate. Price wise, I've only had one increase, now paying $85.95 a month. It is a grandfathered plan from what I can tell. A similar current package would cost me 2x as much. No thanks, I'll keep this package.

8/22/2014: Nothing new to report.

Comments:

Review by AhnHEL See Profile

• Location: Bayside,Queens,NY
Good "Reliable, consistent service"
Bad "Expensive"
Overall "Decent service, wish wideband was cheaper"

·Optimum Online
Jumped ship from TWC to FIOS. Enjoying the better Upload speeds and lower latency that FIOS provides.

member for 14 years, 2923 visits, last login: a few hours ago