Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Trebonious See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
Good "Still going strong, very little (if any) downtime."
Bad "4 years and none worth mentioning."
Overall "Left AT&T in 2011 and never looked back."

Going on year #4 and I have to say I have been extremely pleased with TWC. Started out in April of 2011 with 30/5. Upgraded to 50/5 a few years later with a 5 minute phone call. And then received a free upgrade to 100/5. Recently purchased my own 6183 and had it activated within 10 minutes. Returned the previous equipment and received a pro-rated refund on the month. And now I understand that soon MAXX will upgrade my speed to 300 down. What's not to like?

I hear some bad things about TWC but to date I haven't ever experienced an issue and their customer care has been on their game.

»[Cable Speed test: 102.65/5.26 50 ms]

member for 13.8 years, 1618 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

OpTiC
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

Nice

I have the same experience as you. But only twice I had a rude tech that didn't do anything.

Review by ExtremeRFR See Profile

• Location: West New York,Hudson,NJ
Good "Solid Internet speeds & Improved TV with Enchanced DVR"
Bad "Only wished TWC would add another Enchanced DVR. Total 2 w/ 12 tuners"
Overall "TWC is getting better and I'm seeing that."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * UPDATED * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
March 30, 2015 - Monday

Hey guys,

A lot has happened and I'm here to share my thoughts about Time Warner. First I would like to say I was a very happy long time customer since probably 2003, not sure. I left Time Warner Cable in 2009 because Verizon FiOS was available in my area. Even since I never looked back to Time Warner ever again. Well I can't say never. I do check on what promotion they have on. One day I was looking at my Verizon FiOS bill, they raised the prices and starting to charge more. Their services was great but I wanted to try back again with Time Warner and see what I've been missing.

I signed up last year, December 3rd, 2014 and selected Triple Play with Enchanced DVR, Whole House DVR service, 4 Premium Channels (HBO, Cinemax, Starz, & Epix), Showtime ($3.00 more), Ultimate 300 Internet, & Phone Service for $129.99. My total bill would be around $210-$220. It's a lot of money but I was getting more than FiOS. I gave Time Warner another chance because I wanted to see if they improved their services. I remember I had the worst experience ever. They charged me activation fee, additional outlets, installation fee. I was not happy. I went back to them then canceled less than 30 days. Horrible but I have a soft heart and said let me try one more time with them. I wanted to leave FiOS but not sign up with others.

To my surprise TWC didn't repeat their old ways when taking my installation order. Everything was great to the installation appointment. No problems. I did however went to TWC Store to replace my Enchanced DVR because the Display Screen the lights were out and you couldn't see the time or channels light up properly. They replaced it with no problems. Solid TV, excellent Internet speeds and I was getting better WiFi experience than FiOS. Plus we have 5 iPhones, 3 iPads, 1 Apple TV, Samsung Smart Hub from my TV, 1 Roku device, & 2 laptops. We had plenty of bandwidth that FiOS couldn't take. I had 50/50 with FiOS but speeds couldn't keep up like TWC Ultimate 300.

Phone service works great so no problems there at all. On Demand is a lot better than FiOS. I was able to find TV Shows that I can watch. I'm glad to see TWC really stepped up and I couldn't be happier coming back and staying with them for a long time. Sorry FiOS but my money will be with Time Warner. Don't disappoint me!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

For all NEW JERSEY & NEW YORK customers .... Time Warner Cable has upgraded our speed very quietly. Standard Roadrunner has been upgraded to 7 Mbs from 5 Mbs and upload to 512 Kbps from 384. RoadRunner Premium (Will be called RoadRunner Turbo) from 8 Mbs to 10 Mbs and upload to 1 Mbs from 512 kbps.

Standard Roadrunner will NOT increase their prices. Same price for $44.95. Premium customers will be different. Prices may vary.

- If you have no service with Time Warner Cable, Premium Roadrunner (Roadrunner Turbo) will be $54.90

- If you have Cable or Digital Phone, (Roadrunner Turbo) will be $49.90

- Digital Phone & Cable (Roadrunner Turbo) will be $44.90

BTW... I downgraded to Standard Roadrunner because I didn't want to pay more than what I'm paying. (See my last review)

ARE YOU EXCITED NEW YORKERS!! I know Verizon Fios still beats Time Warner's new speed but pretty soon Time Warner will upgrade once more with a higher download and upload. It's about time Time Warner listened to their customers and what they want .... higher speed on both download and upload.

I'll share you a little secret .... Standard Roadrunner might increase from 7 Mbs to 16 Mbs download & 512 kbps upload to 2 Mbs. So far nothing is happening but Time Warner will plan this one out by the end of 2007 or beginning of 2008. No gauranteed this may be true.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

OLD REVIEW

I order Time Warner Cable's Triple Play Package for $129.95. It comes with Cable w/ On Demand services (over 250 channels), Standard Roadrunner High Speed Online (5 down/ 384 upload), & Digital Phone (Unlimited Local & Long Distance w/ Caller ID, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting & Waiting ID, ACR, & Speed Dial. But my bill is never around $129.95, it's a lot more because we have 2 additonal receivers, 1 with HD-DVR service, & Premiums Channels with Premium On Demand. My bill will come around $220 -260.

That's alot of money but I don't watch TV that much. Plus Premiums like HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, The Movie Channel, Starz, & Encore show the same movies repeatedly. I've been paying $37.95 for all Premiums for about 6 - 7 months and they still show the same movies all the time. Digital Phone was good until my friends would tell me I talk very low. I adjusted the volum on my phone but it seem that wasn't the problem. Time Warner came by to see what was the problem, since I reported to them about Low Call Quality. They said everything is fine and that there is no sign of low, or low data packs.

Again my friends would say I talk low so I have to yell at them so they can hear. I hated Digital Phone ever since. So I tried getting back with Verizon and the porting took long. I requested my number switch back to Verizon back in July and my number finally got ported on October. That's way too long. It wasn't Verizon's fault. Time Warner uses Sprint as their phone service so Verizon was having a bad try to get my number ported back to them. Verizon would call me saying my address is not the same with Time Warner, or the name. I wanted to kill Time Warner. But thank god I'm back with Verizon and this time I will never switch back to Digital Phone. Too much hassle. Even the representative wanted to know why I canceled their Digital Phone. I said simply "your service sucks and there was a lot of hassle of switch back to my old provider ... no way I'm coming back as your phone customer."

Roadrunner was solid. It's pretty fast. But I'm very disappointed because almost everybody is experience higher speeds like Optimium Online with Boost. I hope Time Warner upgrade their speeds pretty soon because Verizon Fios is available here in New Jersey (in some area). But it's not available in my area so I'm stuck with Roadrunner. This month November, I just upgraded to RoadRunner Premium which gives me 8 down/ 512 upload. So far the price for Premium is $64.95 but they gave me a discount for 59.95. Not too bad but the speed needs some improvements.

Cable TV is awesome. I have HDTV in my room and I'm using Time Warner's DVR set-up box with HD-Ready. I can record my shows and watch them whenever I want. I'm telling you I don't watch TV but when I look at my list, I have like 30 or more of shows watching for me. I have to catch up ... lol. But overall Cable from Time Warner is the best. I record my favorite shows like Angel on TNT, Buffy The Vampire Slayer on F/X, Degrassi on The-N, Passions on NBC-4, & Bones on FOX. Oh I can't forget Everwood on ABC Family. I love Everwood!

Everytime I visit Time Warner Cable from another state, Comcast is bought from Time Warner Cable or Comcast bought Time Waner Cable. I wish Comcast bought Time Warner in my area. If that happens then Time Warner Cable in NY will be converted to Comcast, since our service is from NY. That would be a major change and Comcast will become the next cable provider to provide Cable + HSO + Digital Phone. I used to have Comcast where I used to live in Jersey City, NJ. Comcast was a great provider.

For now my service is Time Warner Cable. This is what I pay:

Double Play : 90.58
Cable with Free-On-Demand (over 250 channels)
Road Runner Standard (5 down/384 upload)
1 Cable box with Remote

HD-DVR Service : 8.95
DVR service records programs up to 90 hours & 20 hours of HD programs

Roadrunner Premium : 64.95
8 down/512 upload

Total bill comes up 186.78. Under $200 each month. So far my service is going well.

Comments:

Review by meowey1955 See Profile

• Location: Saranac Lake,Franklin,NY
Good "Upgrade feom DSL."
Overall "Priced right as part of a bundle."

Self install of cable modem to existing home router was easy. Local TWC customer service rep was outstanding. Nice upgrade from DSL.

member for 12.2 years, 1046 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mattwb99 See Profile

• Location: Beloit,Mahoning,OH
Good "Free HD, somewhat reliable speeds"
Bad "Tech support sucks and the equipment is complete crap"
Overall "Its our best option"

Tech support sucks, our OnDemand wasn't working this morning and got some guy telling us to reset our box, which we had already done before calling. Internet speeds are alright but I'm still waiting for the twc Maxx coming to ne OH /w PA but i think thats a dream, but thats not gonna happen anytime soon at all. But overall our best option

Comments:

Review by Rick4769 See Profile

• Location: Buffalo,Erie,NY
Good "Always adding HD channels"
Bad "Upload Speed, customer service, digital phone, to many price increases"
Overall "Behind the times compared to others."

I was grandfathered in when Adelphia went bankrupt and TWC took over our area in WNY-Suburbs. On first day of TWC service, they immediately added 20 on demand channels to the minuscule lineup we had. Internet was greatly improved over Adelphia as far as reliability. TWC seemed to add channels but you paid for them with their constant price increases. I even opted for their digital phone plan where I bundled it with my internet and television. The digital phone was great until you had a power outage. There was no battery backup so you definitely need a cell phone.

TWC customer service was pathetic to say the least. You got 10 different answers from 10 different customers service representatives for the same problem.

Their greatest problem in customer service was not following through on what they promised. For example, their premium HD tier was to include MGM, Universal, MAV TV, Hallmark Movie channel and RFD. MAV-TV was advertised at the TWC website but never offered in the package. For two days, it popped up on TWC online TV but it was removed after I mentioned the fact in the DSL Reports TWC forum.

Internet reliability was very stable as compared to Adelphia. Good download speeds but only a paltry 5 upload speed. Price changes were constantly happening and TWC always mentioned it was the cost of programming increases. At times, I have seen local channels removed in a contract dispute and TWC had the gall to hand out antenna's-rabbit ears so you could pick up the channel in the dispute. They said this was a service to their customers. Also did the same with the Showtime channels even though you were already a subscriber. The customer always paid at the end once TWC finally negotiated a new deal.

Finally, when I heard back in February that Comcast was going to merge with TWC, I immediately dropped them for another provider. I found out I was saving over $30.00 a month with the new provider, getting better internet speeds, crisp SD and HD picture quality and a digital phone that had a battery backup.

Nothing new since I left TWC for another provider.

Comments:

Review by oran See Profile

• Location: united state
Good "Good Bandwidth"
Bad "Spotty promotion information, service appointments are"
Overall "Take it if it's the only thing available, otherwise Newtel is the better choice."

Just ordered Roadrunner High Speed Cable Internet Service last Saturday. Install is scheduled for this Wednesday.

So far the different phone numbers you needed to call to get cable and then Roadrunner service don't impress me - in addition, Rodgers and Roadrunner's systems don't seem to share information, since the same information had to be provided twice. Also, we couldn't get the services to be installed together - they had to be installed seperately. In addition, I wasn't told the service promotion information when I called last Friday, but my roommate/landlord was when he called on Saturday. Makes me wonder about how well trained the staff is.

More to come upon installation completion.
5-29-02
Install completed - bandwidth is okay but streaming seems to be a little bit of a problem. I'll have to see how things go...
6-04-02
Our cable internet is out. Road Runner said they would have it up by later tonight but that has failed to happen. Will have to call tomorrow.
6-05-02
Spent 2 hours on the phone with Road Runner tech support to find out what I already knew. The connection is hosed. Over 60% data loss to the gateway and the DNS servers are unreachable. Tech visit scheduled for tomorrow. I'm disappointed that the appointment is all day instead of a two hour window, but we'll see how things go.
7-24-02
Since the tech visit on 6-06-02 service has gone down twice, but speeds have remained constant. I would still prefer to have DSL over cable, but so far RoadRunner has performed within reason.

Comments:

Review by Father ted See Profile

• Location: Flower Mound,Denton,TX
Bad "Horrible "

Recurring problem for about a year. They are unable to fix it permanently. Lots of butt covering. Netflix et al unusable. Voip unusable. Nice employees, but nice doesn't solve problems.

Comments:

Review by cool_raj4 See Profile

• Location: Cincinnati,Hamilton,OH
Bad "Worst customer service ever."
Overall "Stay away if you have another choice of broadband/cable"

I had the 20/2 broadband and phone service. Both worked pretty well, then became very spotty the last few months. Pretty much constantly cutting out.

I called to complain about my service dropping out, the rep tried to walk me through reconfiguring the wifi on the modem. The problem wasn't with the wifi, nothing I could say would convince the rep who was clearly reading from script. Finally he asked me to reboot the modem, that cleared things up for a little bit, but soon enough it was back to cutting out.

I have to have solid broadband - I work from home. So I finally cancelled, switching to cincinnati bell fioptics. Their service has been flawless.

My wife took back the router to one of their retail locations and we were told that we owed nothing. Today I get a collection notice for 29.57. I never received any bills from time warner after I closed my account and would have appreciated a some kind of warning before they send my account to collections.

Stay away.

Comments:

Review by TBC1 See Profile

• Location: Ft Mitchell,Kenton,KY
Good "Very reliable download and upload speeds. Service is decent."
Bad "Raising prices after year by $40+ , had to complain to keep price low."
Overall "Very decent service and has always been a reliable connection."

·Insight Communic..
My service was with Insight, but it was taken over by Time Warner Communications in June of 2013 (I haven't posted well before that). I've had the turbo speed (20mbps down/2mbps up) as a carry over from Insight up until yesterday. Recently (as they tried in January of 2014), TWC tried to raise my internet & TV bill to unreasonable prices, but I got it down slightly from my previous year. This time around after talking about deals, they made me an offer that slightly lowered the price and raised my internet to 30mbps down/5mbps up, and I kept my same channels including two premium. My modem was an older Motorola SB5100 DOCSIS 2.0, so it wouldn't handle going that fast. I purchased my own DOCSIS 3.0 modem and had them set up the brand name and MAC code, and it was spot on. I average on many test sites, 34mbps/5mbps and am fairly happy. They even have an internet package deal for 64.99 for 100mbps/5mbps. As an aside, the price I listed is for both TV and internet.

Comments:

Review by alexintexas See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "Nothing good here"
Bad "issues on line = heartache, BAD BAD repair tech, billing department is horrid when errors are on bills"
Overall "good value for services offered, WHEN it works. have patience when speaking with billing reps, they will work with you"

3/10/2015

Its been awhile! Well have since dumped tv/phone part and lowered my tier to 15/1.

gone netflix/amazon prime/ota for tv nice to save around $100 a month

Services had improved drastically after the advanced team worked out other issues however modem is once again showing there are again issues on the line with vast t3/t4 timeouts, thankfully with 4x4 bonding im not seeing modem going into power cycle hell as before on 4x1 bonding.

very disappointed my area is not one of the first to see Maxx upgrades, but more disappointed with line issues once again. waiting for 16x4 bonding before i buy my modem to dump the current monthly insane modem rental fee

5/29/2013

After another 2 advanced tech team visits still have issues with internet,,advanced team is an excellent group! however can not isolate problem/issues on my line.

2/12/2013

huge thank you to TWC direct guys here on DSLR! a bigger thanks to "TWCablePaulS" for putting me directly in touch with "Joe" in SATX, i think and do hope the signal issues have been isolated and they are working the issues, Just shouldnt have taken 5 years to get here!!

will update tech support/review as repairs/stability issues are repaired

update 1/23/13

well still having signal issues on the line makes internet a none pleasurable experience.

update 12/30/11

currently have twc 30/5 plan.
connection reliability the worst, there is a somewhat known electrical problem in the home that any cable modem hates. have not been able to isolate this issue whatsoever, tho cable modem consistantly lets me know its there with ease.
techs are consistant its on my end tho electricians fail to even find or even isolate said issue, electricians resolve is complete rewire of home. NOT possible due to costs.

connection uptime 50 percent not good, ping timeout, page load errors. modem shows good levels at all times but huge amount of corrections and t3 and t4 errors

ubee modems/gateways are utter uter uter garbage.

not at all happy with this service

-What speed did you order, at what monthly price?,: Have had cable/roadrunner for about 4 year currently @ the time i switched back from DSL i signed up on road runner premium @ 29.99 for six months speed then 8/512 now 10/1

How was the order/install process?,: excellent went and picked up the modem same day and service was up.

What was the home equipment?, arris voip/cable modem.

-Static IP, dynamic IP, or PPPoE?, dynamic

Other bad/good experiences?: the good, well it works when i need it to work unlike the other competitor here, more value for money, overall better tech support then the competitor

the bad, billing department is a pain, some bad support staff, when i first got my services connected on hsi service they screwed up the whole order and the rate of 29.99 was not entered into the sytem, it took 4 months to finaly get the correct price set, and to issue correct credits, where order was entered wrong. among other over billing issues. overall have patience when speaking to billing reps they do there best to resolve issues, in my market anyway, not so with compition

UPDATE 12/31/07

Service for the most part rock solid, in the past 2 months there have been several short lived outages, seems TWC has been upgrading things to prepare for something to be released here in this market, more HD?, Switched video?, who knows at least its only a few min. at a time and at very late night hours.
Getting ready for a move within 2 weeks and debating transfer of current services or sign up for a whole new package, will update when this happens, TWC has some good offers out right now we shall see.

UPDATE 2/1/08

Got an excellent deal to have services moved
1. one hd-dvr box with dvr subscription, one regular hd-box
a. digi-pic 1000, got the hd service with this part of the package
c. free showtime and movie channel free for a year
2. digital phone unlimited
3. roadrunner standard, upgraded to turbo for 9.95 more a month
im now paying about $3 a month less prior to what i had, didnt have the boxes or digi cable, so this was a deal saving about 45 a month. total monthly is $149. and change. was paying $152.

installition date was pushed back due to an huge order screw up.
For whatever reason someone placed an order "using my new address" for service and was scedualed for install at the time i was getting this deal thus pushing back install for a week. so a total of two weeks for install time :/

1 3rd party installer came out and re-wired the whole home, and new drop, showed up on time
4- outlets 3 for tv 1 for digiphone/internet
2 outlets for phone
this took a good 3 hours of installers time

got everything going explained a little of the new hd-dvr box, as he himself said it was the first one of its kind he had seen, the sa 84 and was on his way
next day comes and internet/phone goes out,,,,yay!!!!!

call up twc customer service they scedule a tech for 6 days later. so no phone/internet in this time period

a TWC tech shows up and time, he is taking readings climbs up the poll, taking more readings, comes down and plugs the arris box back up and we have service
he goes on to explain there is a grounding issue somewhere and this is why service is being knocked out to the arris box, he said techn. he should shut services off untill this grounding issue is resolved, he further explains he would not do so and said to undo the cable wire for a few seconds when this occurs, sure enough to this day we have to do this near every day. we had an electrician come and put a new grounding rod, "there was not one before", but has not solved our grounding issues :/// we are looking to re-wire the whole home soon, not a cheap fix and well dont want to spend major $$$ if we are going to re-wire soon.

at anyrate service has been again solid phone/internet the hddvr and the other dvr are something to be desired i must say

update
9-22-08

wow time sure does go.

new speeds now of 15/2 with powerboost of upto 24mbps nice.
had outside breaker panel replaced and that solved internet/phone going out for all of about 5 months or so, tho the disconnects only happen maybe once a week currently. it is still due to a power issue in the home :////// and not a cheap fix.

anyway, the hd-dvr box is ok, clunky os/recording but works
the pace HD box royaly sucks, locks up takes forever to reboot. good thing i dont watch much TV. other then the occasonal blip with internet service has been rock solid with only one outage

update 7-2-09

time does go, but where?

the cable side, i have downgraded to the cheapest cable channels 2-14 and downgraded my internet as well to the 3mb speeds, money is tight right now.
i actually dont find any use paying $60 a month in cable when what i do watch i watch it via the internet when i want, HD compression here seems to have gotten very bad here, to much boxing and pixilation to say hay i got "HD" internet is rock solid tho

member for 12.2 years, 987 visits, last login: a few hours ago