Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by PamelaTS See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
Good "Ping down to 21,"
Bad "A bit expensive"
Overall "Blows CLEAR away"

It cost them no more to deliver higher speed. It's about profit they could NOT throttle speed down and deliver higher speed for the same cost or lower They just wouldn't make the profit.

Still calling CLEAR and paying the one month ETF glad to be rid of it!

---- Clear waived the ETF ONE MONTH to end of contract.

--- Update ----
I have since dotted TWC TV services lousy customer service, unreliable. Internet service billing errors. When I dotted the tv services my intent rate hacked up. Because some jerk customer service bundled me against my express insistence against bundling. I threatened to dump them and got it fixed. I have had to reboot (owned SB6141) modem a few times after service interruptions.

member for 10.5 years, 1495 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

VelvetSunday

@96.58.246.x

Terrible service

I have been with Timewarner almost as long as they have provided internet services.
And every day of it has been terrible!
- Terrible customer service, no matter how expensive of a package you have.
- BW throttled on services like Netflix
- These high latency issues they refuse to fix
- INSANE packet loss that they also do nothing about
- Much slower speeds than advertised
But at least they're better than comcast
ClosetNerd

join:2014-09-28

Re: Terrible service

My friend it is going to get worse if we just standby and watch. We need to lobby, call attention to this shoddy service... but what do we do, complain. We should overflow BBB agency with complaints. The more complaints you post on CNet, BBB, Tech sites, etc. No one reads this except us, gripping in the shadows... come out and yell it out until the news media hears it. Once they control everything (which they do... don't b* and complain anymore).
ClosetNerd

join:2014-09-28
USA

Time Warner and the upcoming merge with Comcast needs to be stopped

I would call my congressman, senator or anyone. Monopoly has never been good, not even the game.

Seriously, not spamming. I have had lost signals intermittently ever since I bought my own modem sb 6141. It all started when I discovered they were charging me for a modem they claimed as theirs... long dispute, big guy wins, so I want my own. Did it and now paying the loss of signal. Here's my conspiracy theory: If you buy your own modem, Time Warner will drop your signal on and off on purpose. That's it. If we did a poll, a survey on people owning their own modem, I wonder how many will show this trend? I bet it goes in the thousands.

me, unhappy with TWC

Review by chrisk01 See Profile

• Location: Garden Grove,Orange,CA
Good "Speed, no data caps, price"
Bad "Sales information, installation issues"
Overall "TWC has been very good as a service ... so far"

Ordered the 30mb/5mb plan (internet only, no TV/phone) over the phone on March 1st for a new condo I was moving into the following Monday.

Sales rep said the earliest tech available was for Friday March 7th. Sales rep never gave me an order number or took a phone number/email in case the installation tech needed to reach someone in case he/she had problems getting into the condo units. I tried out the online chat to see how that was and I talked to one 'analyst' who tried to upsell me on TV/phone, and another who told me he couldn't do anything and that I'd have to call in to get help. Called and got an order number and everything sorted out with another rep over the phone. Getting a live person was fairly quick on both calls in but I do not look forward to having to deal with customer support in the future.

Installer showed up earlier than expected and got to work installing the lines. The condo is pre-wired with a breakout box with runs of CAT5 to each room but the installer was not able to figure it out even after having a 'supervisor' show up to troubleshoot. The supervisor actually made a mistake in connecting the line which added more time to the installers work. The installation took nearly 3 hours and I felt like they cut corners to speed up them getting out of here. I have a friend who will be able to get everything sorted out but the installation was pretty bumpy and a little worrying sign of the quality of the company.

I was set up with an Arris DG860 modem/router and after everything was setup I did a few speed tests and everything seems to be running smooth. I've tested multiple times around 35mb/5mb up so I'm getting what was expected and even a little bit more but will need to see how the speed holds up in the upcoming weeks/months. I have read about issues about the wi-fi portion of the Arris unit so will be using my own wireless router and getting it set up in bridged mode to take over the wi-fi duties.

I mainly got TWC to act as a bandaid until either Sonic.net or DSLExtreme make their way to Orange County hopefully sometime later this year but if the speeds stay consistent with TWC I may stick it out until the end of the year to make sure the DSL offerings from the other companies gain a stable foundation in the area.

Very early impressions are :::

+ = Speeds, no caps, price (relative to what else is available in this area)

- = Sales information, installation issues.

I will update the review in the upcoming weeks/months if anything happens.

3/15/14 - 1 week later and the line has been quite solid. No noticeable downtime and I have had no problems being disconnected from streams or games.

I did receive an invoice for the first month and it had a page that said that the price of the service was jumping up $3 dollars starting next month. When I ordered the service the rep told me that the current prices would probably not change for the next year and then it does. The price changes affect a lot of TV/internet packages and this is something I'm sure the reps would know about and shouldn't mention that the prices won't change to new customers. $3 isn't a HUGE deal but it's still an upcharge that the rep shouldn't of mentioned at all and I'd have no reason to complain. For that I'm deducting a star from the pre-sales information.

9/21/14 - Service has been great since the start. Only a handful of issues in the time I've had it and most have been solved by a modem reboot. I was also upgraded to the 100/10 plan from 30/5 free of charge and I'm really happy with the service. Ratings updated.

Comments:

toobs

join:2014-05-01
Fountain Valley, CA

Downgrade to Turbo or Rent an new Modem

If you were getting 30/5, you should be getting 200/20 with the same Extreme package. If you are only getting 100/10 with your current modem, you should either rent an new modem from Time Warner that can handle MAXX (200/20, 300/20), or downgrade to Turbo (100/10) and save $10 a month.
chrisk01

join:2001-08-20
Garden Grove, CA

Re: Downgrade to Turbo or Rent an new Modem

Hey thanks for the heads up!

I did eventually call TWC and downgrade to the Turbo plan.

Review by craig_cady See Profile

• Location: New Braunfels,Comal,TX

Long term Time Warner Cable Customer. Have had annual connectivity issues. Now am monitoring full time through DSLreports. I have almost daily packet loss issues in the late afternoon and early evening. No issues otherwise. TWC has responded in a reasonable amount of time for repairs including an amazing 2 hour response on a Saturday after we kept having signal loss to the modem after temperatures rose late in the day.

I would switch to ATT but there internet acess speeds are more expensive than TWC.

Comments:

Review by bbohne See Profile

• Location: Hinckley,Medina,OH
Good "When it works it works well."
Bad "tech support & service suck."
Overall "TWC SUCKS"

Have had the service for two years and had worked well but can not get tech support or service people to fix the problem of no service. I have tried to work with them for four weeks and still have no internet. Have now ordered ATT fiber optic for $20 dollars less per month and faster service. I would not deal with TWC again even if they were the last provider on earth.

Comments:
etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX

Laughable

quote:

The fiber to the press release trolls are starting to show up in internet forums. Post pictures of your 'fiber optic' installation.

Re: Laughable

said by etaadmin:

quote:

If he had the service for two years than AT&T likely could give him a lower rate and well there tech support is the worst in the cable. Even more so than Comcast right at the bottom.

AT&T has been telling TWC customers that they will do fiber on new installs, but I have no idea if they are telling the truth or not.
etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX

Re: Laughable

said by why60loss:

If the lame poster doesn't have fiber already he is not likely to get fiber any time 'soon' (next ten years... if ever) Basically it is fiber to the press release and everybody knows that.

AT&T is the poster child for lying to customers and government officials. I'm waiting for at&t to install fiber (gigapower) in my home in the mean time I'm going to stick with TWC's 300/20 to go live by the end of the year.

Review by ipwn3r456 See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Full speeds almost all the time, pricing isn't that bad."
Bad "TWO billing mistakes, with occasional connectivity issues."
Overall "Well, it connects to the internet. But I still wish for competition."

I am using their Standard tier internet (originally 10/1, later upgraded to 15/1, and now the 10% provisioning is more of 16.3/1.1), originally paying $29.99. But since my promotion ends in one year, they continued to give me an another promotion, but pricing increased to $36.99 (without taxes, modem fees, etc.), I am fine with that... for now.

I ordered internet online, and process is pretty smooth. Although the technician came in a few minutes late(I think the appointment was around 10am-12pm, the technician came around 12:05pm). First he checked the cables outside, and drilled a hole so the cable can go through. He installed an Ambit modem (forgot the model number), which now I am using my own modem, Motorola SB6141. Everything went smooth, until when the technician was about to leave, my neighbor came out and told the technician that he disconnected his TV cable. The technician quickly installed a splitter, and no problems.

Overall I am fine with my internet speeds, no outages, no slow-downs (almost all the time), and I am pretty fine with it. Although I want competition. Besides TWC, only AT&T serves in our area as well. But they are only offering up to 1.5mbps DSL, which is completely irreverent in terms of speeds and pricing. I would want AT&T to have Uverse coverage in our area, not because I want to switch back, it's because I want competition in case if TWC soars up prices on me.

Update 12/4/13 - Time Warner keep charging me for modem rental, even though I have been using my SB6141 for more than a month. The lady over the live chat was nice enough to remove the fee. So I guess another problem solved. But seriously Time Warner, fix your billing systems. It looks like the billing system is more "profit" wise than accuracy. This is already the second mistake Time Warner did. The first time was charging me for installation fee even though it was free. And I am dropping the pre-sales 25% lower because of that.

Update 12/16/13 - During the past few days, my internet connection was pretty terrible. I am getting over 200ms+ ping, and also packet loss. Speed was also dramatically decreased, making it a terrible browsing experience. Because of that, I am dropping connection reliability 25% lower.

Update 4/9/14 - Everything is still fine, getting full speeds almost all the time, maybe with the exception of peak times. I will have to see about pricing changes after my 2nd year promotion (which ends in august), plus the upcoming MAXX upgrades (if it ever happens in my area).

Update 6/16/14 - Connection problems are getting worse lately. I don't know what is going on, but I am getting packet losses/high ping issues, sometimes few times a week, sometimes as worse as few times a day... can't even play any online games with my connection. For this, I am taking off another 25% from connection reliability. Might have to contact TWC about this if this keeps happening. No TWC MAXX upgrades yet, still sticking with 8 download channels and 1 upload channel.

Update 7/31/14 - Just upgraded to Turbo as a part of negotiation, since they are going to charge me $50 for standard, so I called their retention department and the promotional price for turbo is all they can offer me. I said yes, and saved $5 a month, for now. I should be more aggressive next time when I am negotiating with TWC. No TWC MAXX upgrades yet, but we will see how it goes later this year.

member for 1.2 years, 560 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
mbreyer

join:2013-11-14

Los Angeles, CA

Re: .

said by mbreyer:

sir that is the competition. they just aren't competing very well

Yep, typical monopoly in the telecommunications. And the politicians just doesn't give a damn about it.

FreeBSDuser

join:2013-05-15
Somers, NY

Alternatives

Looking at your address, you may be able to get Sonic.net, DSL Extreme (resold Sonic.net), Webpass, and Earthlink Cable (resold TWC).
ipwn3r456

join:2013-07-31
Los Angeles, CA

Re: Alternatives

said by FreeBSDuser:

I do know that sonic.net is available in my area, but I live 10000 feet away from the CO... I don't think I can get fast speeds from that range.

Review by ElJay See Profile

• Location: Portland,Cumberland,ME
Good "Speed is what I ordered"
Bad "Ordering and install took hours on the phone, reliability declining"
Overall "Now that it is going, I hope it just works"

Update September 7, 2014: The past couple of weeks have not been good for reliability. I woke up and found myself affected by TWC's national outage on August 27, and last night my internet was out for 6.5 hours. If I had another option for broadband, I would gladly take it.

_____________

I recently moved and sadly Time Warner Cable is the only broadband option in my new location. I am too far away from the central office for any usable DSL and I do not have line of sight to connect to our local WISP.

The sales and ordering process was not good. I called to establish TV and internet service. The previous occupants of the house had recently cancelled service, which left a work order out there that was somehow blocking me in Time Warner's system from signing up for new service. The guy on the phone tried to clear it, but he couldn't do anything until we waited an hour and it filtered out of the system. I called back an hour later, somehow got the same guy again, and we continued where we left off. It still took another forty five minutes on the phone to get to the point of done because of various system difficulties they seemed to be experiencing.

I decided to bring my own modem which I purchased off of their approved modem list, which allows me to avoid their $6/mo modem lease fee. In retaliation for this decision, it took over an hour on the phone with them to activate my modem. I was passed between seven different people. After forty seven minutes on the line, one of them deliberately hung up on me because he supposedly couldn't hear me. Before that I was transferred erroneously to the billing department. One person didn't seem to understand the difference between a modem and a cable box. Across all of these different people, I had to tell each one the phone number on my account and at least four different people the MAC address on the modem. Luckily, for the last guy I was dealing with, I eventually found a slip of paper I received when I got my cable box that had my account number on it. This tidbit of information seemed to be the gateway to getting activated. This last guy still took twenty minutes to get it working, but at least their network actually let me pass data now.

The speed is very solid and matches what I ordered. I just hope that I never have to call them up again.

join:2014-01-06

Fiendishly clever plan to stonewall BYOM provisioning.

It does seem that they were annoyed that you chose to BYOM, and it wouldn't surprise me for one second that TWC makes it difficult to provision your own modem hoping that after a few failed tries you will submit to renting one of their own. Utter bullshite if you ask me, and very deliberate.

I would have called their executive office and told them about your experience, it isn't rocket science to provision a modem.
xQim

join:2003-09-20

Re: Fiendishly clever plan to stonewall BYOM provisioning.

You do have another option. unFairpoint. Good luck with there awesome, yet terrible service.

Review by antdude See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Good speeds and uptimes."
Bad "Sometimes technical problems on their ends like outages, firmware problems with modems, support, prices go up every year, etc."
Overall "Good when it works."

I used to have Excite@Home (early 2001 with brand new cable lines since this old nest never had cable before) and Adelphia PowerLink for broadband Internet before they went bust and TWC took over. During those early days since 3/10/2001 for several years sucked badly (DNSes didn't work, uptimes and speeds (e.g., 150 kB/sec during the early morning hours) were awful, etc.). Adelphia finally upgraded their cable system to be DOCSIS in the city, and it was fast and stable! And then, they went out of business.

TWC reused the same cable system. Once in a while, there are outages (usually short ones), slow speeds, etc. Very rare, there are long ones. I think the longest uptime was almost all daytime, but TWC will make up for the time loss of your next bill if you tell them especially if it is a known issue in the area. Support can be bad though due to incompetent people. However, there are forums and chats on TWC's web site, avsforum, and on this web site with people (official and subscribers) who can help through online supports.

Note that I still can't get any fast and cheap broadband services (e.g., DSL is too far due to 20K feet to CO according to GTE and Verizon). Also, no FIOS. Dial-up sucks (3 KB/sec) and lots of line noises.

Also, my old nest's service ended on 9/5/2014 afternoon PDT. I am still using TWC in the new nest with its triple bundled service. The review is pretty much the same (no DSL [used to have it too with the previous owners]). Prices still keep going up!

member for 13.5 years, 5651 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

antdude
United State

No one likes my review, eh?

:P

·Verizon Wireless..

Your review is about right

Though help on this site doesn't do any good if the techs in your area just flat out suck and not trained on HSI service. It's not like the freaking customer can replace the line from the house to the node with in reason. Get trash support on that and well your just screwed. Corporate is 100% useless at TWC. Online chat is useless and phone support is on the other side of this earth and even more useless because at least one can mostly understand chat support even if there full of BS.

Now a oddly happy Comcast customer because at lest the local techs aren't 100% clueless and have there own laptops to test with unlike the overly cheap TWC.

I thought Comcast was worse? I guess I will find out after the merger happens.

A lot say that, but haven't had both in the past two years like me, so I have seen how both run unlike most posters.

The Comcast tech replaced my line and had his own PC to run test, the Time Warner cable tech had his two eyes, a hammer and a beat up old truck with limited TV know how and internet was like on some other planet to him. (Didn't understand what tethering a cellphone was and if that worked and TWC didn't then the PC was likely fine. Had no understanding of signal levels at all nor did he get why a bunch of 404/ 1min load times for web pages was bad. Didn't get that up to doesn't mean 1mbs on a 10mbs plan should be okay. Didn't get what internet speed meant at all really. And wanted $100 for a "BS call".)

I thought Comcast was worse? I guess I will find out after the merger happens.

Interesting. Adelphia and TWC install guys seems OK for my parents and me. I never had to have anyone come over to fix issues. I do agree support sucks on phone and online.

said by antdude:

The funny part was that the Time warner cable tech wanted me to prove that the PC could in fact use and work with the internet before he would do anymore and that if I called again it would cost me so then when I showed him the PC tethered to the phone, he said "so it is working and you called me out here for BS. Your going to have to pay for that".

The levels of stupid, just never stopped amazing me.
OpTiC

join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

The TWC techs uses a laptop but it's a Panasonic.

DrDrew
That others may surf
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

Re: Your review is about right

Panasonic Toughbooks are common with telcom workers and others working outdoors needing a tougher computer. I had one several years ago.
You cannot fix a problem that you refuse to acknowledge.
sherazbutts

join:2014-09-20
Pakistan
ptcl speed test
i check my PTCL speed test with »www.pakistanihub.pk/2014/09/ptcl···est.html you can see my speed test result above screenshot... my internet speed is 16 mb but above pictures results is different can you tell me the site which speed test accurately..

Review by Matt_31 See Profile

• Location: Jasper,Dubois,IN
Good "70% Uptime Since takeover from Insight BB"
Bad "Failure times can be problematic, support and hardware availability poor"
Overall "When working it can be a great service but if problems it can be a real pain."

·Insight Communic..
9-7-14

Time Warner Took over from Insight BB, and did some upgrades that were badly needed and it has helped service for over the last year. However it was a big nightmare. They sent us discount offerings and deals and our area refused to offer them and I couldn't get a hold of anyone to enforce something they were offered as you were required to have a TWC email. Which while we did, it didn't recognize our area as twc. I was very pissed. Anytime you call to talk to a supervisor you get the they are busy and will call you back in 24 hour. DON'T fall for this as THEY NEVER do. I have filled sooo many complaints about this and nothing was ever done. I still to this day I have yet to hear from someone about it and its been almost a year. Finally I did get a hold of something in corporate and they made the local office region enforce the deal offering that was sent to us (and everyone in our area). I never once got a apology. Also this summer my Cablecard fried and they tried to replace it with a single channel card. I had to go through hell and act of congress to get a multichannel one. According to corporate they were not to even have the single cards. I was called a liar and other things so I called the corporate office of Cablecards right in the tech office on my cell phone (since they refused to) and they chewed out the crew there ON MY CELL. I got a whole whopping $17 discount. After the time and energy I went through I felt my bill should have been free. Let along they had to ship me a new cablecard and I had to wait a WEEK. For the card.

My thing is you shouldn't need to call or talk to support. I am a tech person myself and I know much more than the general public and I understand most problems are human/hardware errors. So Just simple things can make the difference. However most of the time in my cases (as my neighbors and family) it has not be these general problems. Now after a year of being with Time Warner we are going to be with some other company due to another buy out. If we had reasonable internet options I would take it however out there we don't. I would take direct tv in a second. However this leaves us without the proper reasonable internet. There has been talk about our local area making its own internet and im all for it if they do.

Comments:

why60loss

join:2012-09-20

I agree with this review

There support is a stay at the non-service hotel and it's take it our way or we do it all to you.

Review by Quasar009 See Profile

• Location: USA

July 29, 2014 Ubee router.

Comments:
Quasar009

join:2014-09-04

Tech Support

11:29 A.M. EDT
Sat.
Sept. 6, 2014

They are trying to help me.

Review by voltara See Profile

• Location: Buffalo,Erie,NY
Good "Reliable connection, stable speeds, good customer service"
Bad "No longer competitive"
Overall "A solid choice, but consider your options first"

I was a loyal Turbo tier (20/2) subscriber for nearly 10 years. Aside from the occasional early morning blip due to network maintenance, I had very few problems with my connection during that time.

Customer service and technical support were always helpful and friendly, both in person (at the TWC Store a block away from me) and over the phone (I work upstairs from one of TWC's call centers, and their 800 number would invariably route me there. And yes, they were helpful and friendly even before I mentioned that to them!) With many large companies offshoring their support departments, it's refreshing to deal with local people.

I gave a low mark for pre-sales information because they don't tell you what their service actually costs - all they show you are the introductory rates which are only good for the first year. The lack of transparency in pricing is inexcusable.

Also, the idea of jacking up prices after a year boggles my mind - what better way to encourage customer turnover? Instead, they should offer a loyalty discount. If they did, I would still be a customer today.

So what made me jump ship? Competition. I could get 25/25 from Verizon (undiscounted) for the same price I was paying TWC for 20/2. And the 75/75 that I'm getting from Verizon now? There's simply no comparable offering from TWC, and my city is not even on the roadmap for their Maxx network upgrade.

Would I come back as a customer? Sure, but first TWC has a lot of catching up to do in both product and price. (Of course, they'll need to pull ahead of the competition, because why else would I bother?)