Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by DMF3 See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
Good "Excellent CSR personnel"
Bad "Slow; sign-up system barely works"
Overall "If you have to have it you have to have it."

New account, set up online. Standard internet-only package, quoted at 15 mbps. Nominally $40/mo with $5/mo online order discount. My own modem (Netgear CM400). The sign-up screen says that I will receive email instructions within 48 hours on how to provision the modem. I did get a "Welcome to TWC" email, but three days later no instructions. So I call.

I have an order number from the printout of the order page. TWC tier 1 tech can find neither the order nor an account for me. She will talk to tier 2(?) and call me back in 20 minutes. 2 hours - no one calls. I call again and this time go to Sales. They can actually see the order; it is not complete and no clue why. So Sales completes the order and 25 minutes into the call I actually get an account number! Also a job number that tech can use for provisioning. He sends me back to tech, who initially cannot find the account. She asks where I am (he sent me to New York CS) and forwards to the correct tech department, who initially can find neither the account nor the job number. Finally finds the account, takes the MAC address, but there is option on the account to provision the modem. "What is the scheduled job for?" I ask. "For a tech to come out and complete the install IN A WEEK!" #$%*! Transfer back to Customer Service. She listens and immediately forwards to a tier 3 tech. Finally! Guy knows what he's doing, can see the modem and we provision it (takes about 15 minutes, though).

Finally online! Total phone time about 100 minutes. And this was supposed to be an automated setup ! All personnel are friendly, competent, and willing to help. It is the system that is messed up. Strangely, I would have said the same of TWC when I first used them 35 years ago.

I've had Comcast in Atlanta for years and am used to FAST internet. According to the speed tests, the "15 mbps" rate is optimistic. There are faster service tiers, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay double the Comcast rates for 1/3 the speed. Not enough experience to rate service reliability.

I suppose there are worse ISPs, but I (fortunately) haven't had to use one. Value sucks, too. If you have an alternative, use it.

Jan-07-15

I'm getting a LOT of "unable to connect" pages. cbssports.com ?? These aren't timeouts; looks more like filtering.

Also, dnssearch (sp?) intrudes on occasion, but I see that there a fix for.

Jan-10-15

It *was* filtering - mine. I forget to enable HTTP in Peerblock.

Supposedly disabled failure re-direct, but can't tell yet how effective that is...

- Dennis

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

At least you got what your paying for..

TWC sounds like Century the missing link. I also was speaking with fools that use to respond to "Ding, Fries are done!!!" when I tried out there 7Meg DSL line that was lucky to see 900K.
snookeehook

join:2015-01-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

my e mail address

where did my e mail address go and why is it not working and can it be fixed ifve had it for years and years

Review by W8ASA See Profile

• Location: Dayton,Montgomery,OH
Good "24/7 connection with no breaks"
Bad "Phone has a strange delay when answering."
Overall "Great service. Solid connection."

·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
UPDATE 1-8-2015: Received my free Dell laptop/tablet yesterday as part of the Signature Home promotion. Others have said they received a refurbished one, but mine is new. Of course, TWC put all their programs on it before sending it to me, but that's fine. It works very well, and I'm happy with it. I saved $30 per month in the process. Internet speed is what I signed up for, and haven't had any down time yet. Phone service still has a weird delay. When people call us, we have to say "hello" 3-4 times before they hear us. Some have hung up thinking we weren't answering.

UPDATE 12-8-2014: My speeds are pretty steady at 56/5.6 Mbps or so. I am unable to post my speed test results to DLSR because for some reason the speed test sites can't resolve the TW IP address(es). I thought that problem was supposed to be solved when it first popped up, but apparently it has not.

UPDATE 11-25-2014: Another five years have passed. I have had Signature Home, which includes the 50 Mbps internet, for a little more than 2 months now. No problems.

UPDATE 03-11-2009: Wow! Five years since my last update? The RR connection is still solid with no problems to report. Boring review, eh?

UPDATE 2-24-2004: Connection is solid still. My speeds are in the 2800-2900 range, with a very occasional spike over 3000. No downtime that I know of. I now have the PCX2600 modem, and am using it with a BEFSR41 router with no problems.

UPDATE 11-24-2003: Well, now that TWRR has increased my speeds from 2000 to 3000 down, I am only getting 1500 or so! All this time I have had a solid connection, but ever since they "upgraded" the speeds, I cannot seem to get more than 1500 down regularly. I have gotten as high as 2700 down, but that is very rare. All in all, my average download speed is 3/4 of what it used to be. Upload is higher, but all I usually send are keystrokes and mouse clicks. I am not impressed by this improvement.

UPDATE 4-17-2003: Connection still solid. Have no seen any downtime. Keep on rocking, TWRR!

UPDATE 13 January 2003: Connection solid, good speed (usually 2050/300 or so), and no problems whatsoever. TWRR rocks here!

UPDATE 5 August 02: I still have had NO breaks in service of any kind. No disruptions, period. I continue to be VERY pleased with my RR service. Truck on RR!!!

UPDATE 3 Mar 02: Going strong. No breaks in service. No problems with e-mail or newsgroup. Linksys still keeping me hooked up. I use both the Linksys and Zone Alarm, and since getting the Linksys (BEFSR41) I rarely get any traffic getting through to cause a Zone Alarm message. Almost never, in fact. TWC/RR here in Dayton, OH is going very, very well for me, although I'm almost finished with my $19.95 per month introductory rate, and will soon be bumped to $44.95 or so. ;-((((((( Even at that rate, it is an outstanding value for the money.

UPDATE 7 Feb 02: Still moving right along. No service outages. E-mail 100 percent, and excellent newsgroup coverage. No problems with either the RR service or my Linksys. I am very, very pleased with the value for the buck.

UPDATE 17 Dec 2001: Speeds are now pretty much where they should be -- in the 1.5-2.0kbps down/360 up, so I'm pleased. I have seen speed spikes to 5.1MMMMMMMMbps (that's Megs) to a couple of sites. All in all, I'm very happy with TWCRR, and have no problem recommending it to anyone. The X10 ads still appear EVERY time I access the RR home page, so I just don't go there any more. You're supposed to be able to cancel them for 30 days, but it does NOT work for me. Newsgroups are fine. Pings are low. I'm getting everything I expect out of RR.

UPDATE 1 DEC 2001: Speeds are a very disappointing 3-400 kbps range for downloads most of the time now, meaning that MANY people have signed up.RR needs to fatten the pipes a lot, because in my part of town no one can get DSL, so everyone seems to be getting onto RR. In fact, about half of my speed tests show faster UPLOAD than DOWNLOAD. Upload is consistent at 370-380 or so. I got stuck with a 3-Com discontinued modem, and don't really know yet whether that's good for me or bad. Any feedback on that would be appreciated. It is a 3CR29223.

I'm in Centerville, Ohio. Called a week ago (Nov 20) to order RoadRunner after seeing my street on their website as being availabie. They are offering free installation except for a NIC card. and $19.95 per month for the first three months, then $44.95. Good price. I was given a 4-hour window for this morning (11-27) and the installer showed up on time. Modem is a 3-com dual network/USB (yuch - I was hoping for a Toshiba). The installer actually works for CompUSA, and said that they are using up all their 3-com modems until they run out of stock. After he got the cable installed and turned on the modem, it wouldn't sync. Turns out that TW is having a problem in my area today, and so he left without ever getting a sync. My signal strength at the modem is -10, which is somewhat low, but he said it will sync OK once the system is up and running. The installer was very knowledgable and capable and friendly. The remainder of my review will have to wait until I get a sync and can test/tweak, etc. More later....................

UPDATE 11-28-2001, 9:40 AM: Well, the awaited sync never came, and yesterday afternoon I called tech support, and got a very helpful and smart Terry, who, after I told her that my signal strength was -10 and below, told me flat out that the shark fin (3-com) will NEVER sync up at that signal strength. She has set up an appointment for between 3 and 5 pm today for someone to come out and get my signal boosted. Low signal affects the digital cable box. I suggested that they may want to install an amp, and she put that in her notes as well. Soooo, no RR yet, but everyone so far has been nice and helpful, and I'm still hopeful. More later after today's visit.......

UPDATE 11-28-2001, 10:30PM: Tech from TW showed up this evening and discovered that the coax outside line had been scraped and some of the shielding was cut, so the line showed a horrible loss. He put in a new line directly to the computer, and the modem synced right up. Speeds really vary from site to site. In the space of two hourse I've logged speeds from 300K to 3100K. LinkLine and Megapate speeds tend to be really low, in the 300-400 range, once getting to 800. I've put the tweaks in, and tomorrow will post my tweak results to ask for help. Now, how can I trade the 3-com modem in for a Toshiba, which I understand will increase my speed.

Comments:

Review by Pathfinder See Profile

• Location: Mount Vernon,Westchester,NY
Good "it works most of the time"
Bad "tech support is a joke. sales lied to me"
Overall "Not impressed"

Dec 2014

Due to illness I have moved in with relatives. I have FIOS at home and am very satisfied. Here they had Verizon DSL. As I am adding to the usage and we now have 2 Netflix accounts, we decided to go with Time Warner Triple play. The ad said 89.99 so we called to get that. No premium channels and 15/1 internet. No problem. The rep told my daughter that the $89.99 was only for new customers and signed us for $161. I found out that he was misinformed or downright lied to us. I tend to believe the latter as further dealings didn't go well. I called back the next day with the ad in hand and after 15 minutes with billing was told that the first rep was wrong and if I called back they would see her notes and correct the price. I called back to speak with sales and while they saw the billing reps note they could not find that offer. After an hour on the phone we settled on a plan that in total came to $126 and upped the speed. I was not happy but accepted it.

Five minutes later the internet went dead. I have an ARRIS 1762 and a Cisco router. I was told that TW wifi is $5 per month. I called tech support and reached a tech with a bad accent. The first thing I asked him is if my ARRIS was reset. He assured me that everything was the way it had been. I plugged a laptop directly into the ARRIS and got nothing. He then asked if I had another laptop to try. I explained that I don't keep spare laptops in my pocket as a rule and told him that there were 2 wired PCs and a wifi PC along with 2 ROKUs 2 tablets and 2 phones. None worked. He had me reset everything at least 1/2 dozen times. He was quite obviously clueless but I was stuck. after 1 hour and 15 minutes he transferred me to the next tier. That tech took one look at my records, asked me if I intended to use the Cisco or Arris for wifi and when I told him Cisco he reset the Arris to bridge mode and we were done. Total time including resets 6 1/2 minutes.

I would go back to DSL rather than call tech support again. Total idiots at the first tier.

member for 14.9 years, 8394 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by aguypd See Profile

• Location: Silver Springs,Wyoming,NY
Good "Usually good bandwidth"
Bad "TV channels will jitter at times, because of the compressed bandwidth"
Overall "Good deal for the price, when you get their package deal"

·Frontier Communi..

(update 2015-1)Time Warner has just release a notice that they are raising prices, again. We received an ad for a package deal, that would offer TV and phone for only $20 per month, but I think we will just stick with Internet, NetFlix and Ooma phone service.

(update 2014-11) Time Warner increased their prices, yet, again earlier this year. Even with the increase in prices, paying for NetFlix, and buying a VOIP phone service (Ooma), we are still paying $30 less than when we had Time Warner's All-In-One bundle.

(update 2014-2) After our fourth DVR stopped working in two years, we decided to just drop the cable TV and digital phone and keep only the Internet. We upgraded the Internet from Standard to Ultimate, so we will see how that does. It will be a price increase to $102, but with dropping the TV and phone, it will be a savings of about $50. Even with purchase of NetFlix, we are still saving over $40. The few shows that we used to watch on TV, we can still watch online.

(update 2013-12) Looking over our cable bill from Time Warner Cable, I was struck by the extra charges.
We have their DVR service, so that we can record shows and watch them later. It is really nice for fast forwarding over all the commercials. We can watch an hour worth of news in just under 40 minutes.
The bill has the DVR service at $12.95, but there is another $8.49 for equipment charges for 1 DVR converter and 1 remote.
That's a total of $21.44 for having a DVR. Time Warner Cable will "nickel & dime" you to death.
We called Time Warner Cable and talked to one guy about "lowering our bill" and the guy instead tried offer us a deal that would "save money on our bill."
We declined and then called back and talked to a different representative, when told that we were looking at getting rid of the TV, possibly the phone, too, and just keeping the Internet, she offered us a better deal for one year. We will save $5.

(update 2013-06)Now, Time Warner has raised fees by creating new charges, such as a modem rental fee or you can buy your own. We bought our own, but since then, we have been struggling to get the former bandwidth of 15,000/1,000, we are usually getting about 5,000/300.

(update 2012-11)We have the three-in-one service and now we are going to be charged a modem rental fee. If we want to purchase one off of their approved list, we then have to put in a splitter to hook up our own and continue to use Time Warner's for the digital phone.
This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, so we will probably just get rid of the digital phone, when we purchase our own modem.

(update 2012-01)Our Internet has been rock solid. We have been very happy with our service.

(update 2010-09)Our Internet service has been rock solid, except for one weekend, but they credited out account for the time it was down.

The bandwidth with Powerboost is consistenly around 17-19 Mbs and after Powerboost ends, it stays pretty consistent around 9 Mbs.
The latency is pretty consistent to NYC, at about 30 ms.

(update)Road Runner has just upgraded our upload to 1 Mbs and is pretty consistent at around .97 Mbs. It is a nice feature and we will see how the price of Road Runner does with their new rates coming out next month.

(update)After continuously comparing the bandwidth between my mom's dsl with Frontier and our Road Runner, Road Runner had consistently had three times the bandwidth and less than half of the latency.

(update)Even with the Powerboost added, you can compare large files, that overcome the first 10 MB Powerboost and show you your true bandwidth usually by using a java based bandwidth test.
Seeing the true bandwidth after Powerboost, it is still 3 times faster than Frontiernet.

(update)Time Warner has put their tiers and caps on the back burner, until they "educate the consumer." They have added some tier and cap terminology to their TOS, so it might not be too much longer before they decide to initiate it onto their plans.

(update)Time Warner announced that they are going to be starting caps and charging by a tiered program with overages at $1/GB. If they do start that, then the cable TV will be getting scaled back. If it still too expensive, then we might end up going back to FrontierNet, since they have said they decided to NOT start caps and a tiered program.

(update)Switched back after trying FrontierNet. The technician came out and installed the modem in just a few minutes and we were up.

The bandwidth is three times what we were getting with FrontierNet. It was a mistake to switch over to FrontierNet in the first place. Especially, now that they are talking about adding caps and tiered service plans.

However, when we had called to have Road Runner installed, again, we were NOT given the option for a self-install kit. In our next bill, they attempted to charge us for the install, in which we complained. They removed the charge.

(update)FrontierNet offered us a deal where the first year was free, plus a modem charge and then the second year was $30 plus modem fee, so we switched from Road Runner to FrontierNet.

Mailed us a self-install kit

Switched to Frontier, when they offered us a deal of the first year free and the second year at $30/month.

However, Road Runner is almost three times the bandwidth, so based on bandwidth to price, Road Runner was the better deal. Will probably be coming back to Road Runner, soon.

member for 6.8 years, 2641 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bradenmcg See Profile

• Location: Cleveland,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Decent speed, techs read BBR and help, don't limit most ports"
Bad "They traffic shape P2P protocols like Bittorrent"
Overall "RR is the fastest / only viable connection in my region."

My area was formerly Adelphia and speed tiers have gone up significantly now that we have TWC/RR in the area. Speed is generally good and the few times I've had to deal with support have NOT been painful. I don't like they they are traffic-shaping BitTorrent and other stuff, but it has yet to impact me as I don't do more than the occasional torrent.

Comments:

Review by djrobx See Profile

• Location: Valencia,Los Angeles,CA
Good "MAXX Speed, no installation hassles, no contracts, no caps, 2 day wait install"
Bad "Supplied Arris DG1670 router is a touch flaky and adds latency"
Overall "Crazy fast. Faster speeds than what AT&T offers"

·VOIPO
1/4/2015

Happy new year. Still very happy with the service. I've found the Arris DG1670 to be a little flaky, and it adds a small amount of latency to all traffic. Not terribly noticeable for most things, but gamers probably wouldn't be happy. It could be solved by buying my own SB6183. Connection has been fast at all hours. It's crazy to see downloads go at 38MegaBYTES per second!

7/2/2014

Alright, you got me Time Warner. When BBR posted a story about "Time Warner Maxx", it was right in the middle of the Charter negotiations, and I just assumed this was some BS press release from TWC trying to make themselves look good, and that they had no intention to follow up on it. They'd have to actually buy us new equipment for that, surely they wouldn't bother. Or maybe they would, but to really select areas.

After all, LA and NYC just got 100mbps. For those of us in AT&T territory, that in itself was pretty impressive.

Then we start hearing about the first markets to get Maxx. Real speed tests showing over 300mbps in SoCal. Nice! But would they really take this to the outskirts of the LA market, where the best you can do is 45mbps from AT&T U-verse? The answer appears to also be yes. I was a little floored to see Valencia so early on the rollout list, but here it is, today I have these amazing speeds.

The process of getting the replacement modem was surprisingly easy. Most people on the forum went to pick it up from the local TWC store with varying results. TWC notified me by email that the new speeds were available and to just click a link to have a new modem shipped to me. They fedexed it to me and it arrived 2 days later, with a pre-paid shipping label to return my old modem. The online activation process had issues, but was corrected with a quick, automated call to their activation hotline.

It's also worth noting that they enabled 16 channel downstream bonding and 4 channel upstream bonding just last week. I'm stunned that they went from plant upgrades to customer activations in such a short period of time!

The first speed test came back at 319/21. Whee!

TWC FINALLY does something edgy and impressive, but it's on their way out the door if Comcast successfully acquires them. Going out with a bang? Maybe we'll get really lucky and the merger will be blocked. In the meantime, I'll enjoy my new connection. Thanks TWC!

11/24/2013

BBR is nagging me to update my review. TWC just upgraded me to 100/5 service, so it's probably as good a time as any to do it.

The good:

My 50/5 service has been excellent and stable over the last two years. I work from home, and have been able to depend on this connection around the clock. I have not noticed peak-hour slowdowns; TWC seems to be doing a good job of keeping up with demand. TWC has pushed out updates to the SBG6580 that have resolved the issues I noted previously. A few months back they also released a ~10% speed boost, which helps ensure you get better-than-advertised speeds. All in, I'm seeing fairly consistent 113/5.5 speed tests, which is great. I've nudged up the reliability and value scores to reflect these experiences and updates. I'm also happy that TWC has continued to offer "unlimited" access.

The bad:

The downstream upgrade highlights that the upload speeds are in need of improvement. I'm afraid upload upgrades aren't in our near future. LA is still sitting without DOCSIS 3 upstream channel bonding enabled. TWC could also do a better job of communicating upgrades to customers. They sent me an email telling me I was upgraded to 100mbps, and to reboot my modem, but the actual upgrade didn't occur for a couple days. Tech support was not prepared for this email, and seemingly didn't know what to tell people to expect. Users in the TWC forum got a wide variety of answers, as if they were making stuff up.

These are definitely "first world problems" as some would put it. I'm very happy overall.

2/2/2012

I've had the service for a week now. Some issues:

1) The SBG6580 seems like a good device on the surface, but it's a terrible router. It seems to have a memory leak which causes speeds to gradually decline. In my case this would degrade my 50mbps service to no more than 30mbps after 48 hours. Speeds would resume after rebooting the modem. I had to dig out an old Buffalo router with DD-WRT to stop this from happening. I can't believe Motorola would put out such a buggy product, but at least there's a workaround.

2) When not inhibited by the modem, my speeds have been terrific. However, I've noticed the LA area suffers from increased pings (adding an additional 25ms of latency to all hosts) during peak hours (between 7-11). Looking at the RR_SOCAL DSLReports line monitors, this issue affects the majority of us in the LA territory. Gamers, stay away for now.

1/24/2012

Back in 2008 I left Road Runner for U-Verse Internet. Since then, U-verse has always had slightly faster speeds than Time Warner so I stuck with it.

Time Warner has been slow to roll out Docsis 3. But now that it's here, they seem to have a fairly unified strategy for their customers, which is good to see. For a long while, we had different speed tiers by zip code, with higher speeds in FiOS and FiOS adjacent neighborhoods.

Top speeds come at a big price tag. 50/5 for $99, unbundled. That's down from $109 a few months back. At this price point, I'd like to see higher uploads. I was also offered 30/5 for $59, which is much better bang for the buck, but I can't resist having the best.

I ordered via the web to get the free install. The next available appointment was over a week away. So after finishing the order I called to see if there were any earlier slots available. The first person I spoke with really botched things up. She said there was a $60 "wireless install charge" (huh?), and to avoid that changed my order to a standard 10/1 install and said I could upgrade later. Ugh. I called back and spoke to someone else who confirmed the mess she made, but said he couldn't give me the free install promo as it was a web only deal and she had invalidated that. He said the best bet was to delete the order and start over online. So I did. I called back Monday and this rep was able to change the date to the very next morning without any trouble at all. The whole process might not have been too big a deal if the automated phone system didn't insist that I was an out-of-state caller, and didn't keep dropping the call when trying to connect me to an agent.

The appointment was from 8-12. The tech arrived at 8:30. I think he was a little new, but he was polite and got the job done.

Speed tests have been bang on 51/5 every time. Pretty impressive. GrabIt was peaking around 6000KB/sec from EasyNews. Seems like it wasn't long ago when 600KB/sec was crazy fast. Road Runner has come a long way from the 1.5mbps service it started at here!

6/28/2008

No problems at all with this service. Time Warner decided to pull the newsgroup server. I completely understand why and accept that. However, it kept me from even considering other providers. Now what?

A news story in the Los Angeles Times a few months back lamented about the lack of HD channels on Time Warner. Time Warner promised to deliver 14 new channels by July 1. July came and now they're saying "Not until October." for my area.

Meanwhile, I'm looking at AT&T U-verse. They're going to pony up $200 cash back plus a free $75 month worth of TV. No contract. They also got Sci Fi HD and USA HD, two channels I've been wanting that TW has no plans to add (they're not even in the 14 that are supposedly coming). With AT&T practically willing to pay me to try their service out, why should I keep TW? I couldn't come up with a good answer. But to get TV you have to bundle internet, and that means giving up my Road Runner connection.

Road Runner has been 100% rock solid and reliable over the past year. I've really loved it. U-verse is technically a bit faster (10/1.5 vs. 10/1), although U-verse's internet has actually been slower than RR during peak hours. Rumors point to a 15/2 upgrade for Road runner eventually. Maybe when that comes I'll re-evaluate all this again.

1/23/2008

Gosh, has it been 6 months already? There's not much to report here. No news is good news. My connection has been flawless. I'm kind of hoping they'll bump us up to 15/2 at some point (perhaps in response to U-verse upgrades to 10/1.5) but my 10/1 connection is rocking for now. The included newsgroup server has slowed down quite a bit since I signed up, but it's still much better than what's offered by most other providers.

5/22/2007

Two week update. I have been thoroughly pleased with my decision to switch to Road Runner. The 10/1 speeds work flawlessly and my line monitor on BBR shows a solid, steady connection.

I almost forgot about the newsgroup server Road Runner has, but wow - the Los Angeles server is awesome! DSLExtreme offered 64KB/sec limited access to supernews. I can often pull the full 10 megabits from Road Runner's news server, and the retention seems to be at least as good as Easynews. Geez.

5/07/2007

This is not my first go at Road Runner, but it is my first experience with Time Warner Cable. Our cable system has been sold several times since I moved here in 98. I first signed up with MediaOne Road Runner in 2001. We were then sold to AT&T @Home, then to Comcast HSI, and now we've come full circle back to Time Warner Road Runner!

I've been using DSLExtreme for the last several years. Thanks to a nearby remote terminal, AT&T paired with DSLExtreme had been giving me great service and static IP through DSL. But AT&T is in the process of rolling out even newer service, and DSLExtreme wants *more* money per month with another 12 month commitment! I don't want to be stuck in another higher-priced contract with them when new options become available.

Looking over cable's offerings, I found out that Time Warner had increased the speeds to 10000/1000. Okay, so that's Optimum Online in 2001, but for Los Angeles, that's a record breaker. My very fist speed test: 9838/982. Yeah baby!

That's almost double what I was getting from DSLExtreme's premium offering. Great download speed AND upload speed. For less money than I was spending with DSLExtreme. As I type this review, I have a download going that's been at a rock solid 1.16MB/sec. If they can keep it running reasonably reliable, I'll stick with it! And if it ends up sucking, DSL is just a phone call away. No contracts is such a nice thing.

The only negative is what I expected, calling them is a pain in the butt. Tuns out I didn't need to bother. I just went down to the cable office, picked up the modem there and did a self install. It was so painless. I was up in minutes.

member for 14.7 years, 7222 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

fundyum

@104.35.47.x

Pretty solid.

Review by dstone1029 See Profile

• Location: Prairie Village,Johnson,KS
Good "It is the only service I can get here."
Bad "Flaky in the extreme. Two router/modems so far in one year"
Overall "Waiting for Google Fiber then goobye to this crap"

Ordered the turbo boost boasting up to 30MBPS down, 5 MBPS up. Currently getting something like 2MBPS down 1.5 UP. Talked to three different technicians in the last few days who decided there wasn't anything they could do from their end. As usual treated me like I was an idiot, but that's to be expected. The decided there was severe packet loss and something not right with the area service that three people couldn't figure out how to fix. One of them said he would call be back at 8 last night, never happened.

Now have to wait two more days before a service tech can get to the area.

Not at all happy since I use this service to remote into my office on weekends and the connection is ludicrously slow.

Comments:

Review by mckenna797 See Profile

• Location: Astoria,Queens,NY
Good "Speed ,Reliability, multiroom dvr ,phone, wideband 50/5"
Bad "none"
Overall "Love it"

We made the switch to road runner from Verizon Dsl due to the recent problems, poor customer support, email blocking

the installer was very good and called to see if he could come early and we said yes he was at our location 1 hour earlier he set up the wireless modem (ambit) for Road Runner and the Arris digital phone modem ( will be connected this Friday the 18th due to problems with verizon porting the telephone number to time warner)

in our living room with splitters, for the DTV Road Runner and digital phone all cable is in the living room there was slight signal problem and that afternoon a plant tech showed up to repair the problem our two computers our 50 and 75 ft from the wireless modem, the wireless adapters are usb at the Computers, our excellent both pc show excellent recive and 11mbps on bootup and the lowest i,ve seen was 2mbps when we are downloading on both pc so far everything is working great
here is a speed test using the wireless
Verizon speed test Site

Download Size: [500]KBytes
Downloaded in: [1.172]Seconds

Speak easy site
2005-03-14 06:21:27 EST: 3343 / 349
Your download speed : 3423388 bps, or 3343 kbps.
A 417.8 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 358230 bps, or 349 kbps.

March 18th
as promised the digital phone was connected today , we did to keep the number we had with verizon, the installers swithched one jack to a double jack one for the telephone modem and one is for the phone at the modem, they installed a three way spliter one leg to the telephone modem ,one to the wireless modem for road runner and one to the catv box, and they left one phone wall mount connected to the building telephone wireing for our building intercom system, sound quality is great infact had to turn the volume down on one phone , call id is working correctly all in all a good experiance whould recommend to friends and family almost forgot the internet speed is uneffected one on the phone
Oct 4,2005
not much to change in the review, things are still going great, had to call tech support to get my wifes new Dell 5100 connected to our wireless road runner, tech came out set it up for her and was very pleasent and knew his stuff, while he was here he also tweaked my pc a Emachine 3265 also a wireless connection and works like a charm, all in all still very happy with Road Runner

Feb 26th 2006
I just got a new Dell for Myself , Just plugged in the Wireless Linksys 802.11g adapter and road runner was up and running i also have the provided usb adapter on the old emachine and still works great ,as a side note my wireless speed have been preatty constant 4800kbps and recently exceeded 5000 + kbps.is Road runner getting ready to roll out a New Speed Upgrade looking at the almost daily routine maintance listed on the support web site

Sept 18th 2006

Time warner has unofficially upgraded my speed to 7000 down/512 up
and I have had these speeds for a couple of weeks now, my wifes pc with the wireless g usb 2.0 adapter connecting to the Ambit wireless Modem is getting speeds of 6700+ as are my Dell and the old Emachine through the Linksys befw11s4 we have left over from our Verizon Dsl Days connected to the Ambit via ethernet cable 100ft run all and all we are still very happy with Time Warner here in Western Queens

December 1 2006
Well Its time for a update
TW upped our internet speed via road Runner to 10/512 last week we have switched to a belkin Wired router and all is great speed tests are at or near the new speeds

Feb 8th
Well it is time to update my review of Road Runner and Digital Phone, and sadto say things have degraded, Since December 2006, we have had lots of intermittant drop outs of Phone and Road Runner When its windy and techs say there is no problems or loose connections, And every Night we Have the peak time slow downs

May 21 2007
Well we just got and HD tv so went to TW queens center office and turned in the sa digital box we had for the sa HD-DVR box , got it home and hooked it up,
Self install came withe component video cable and rf cable No HDMI or Composite cables the dvr was new,) picked up hdmi cable really easy setup and the picture quality on sd and hd is what can i Say WOW excellent could not ask for more, still have all the other services and still am very satisfied also the road runner upgrade to 10/512 was a plus and have had no problems since Feburary when the upgrades were a work in progress

Mar 21
The site asked for an update ,
preatty much things have been stable with RR, we had some problems withlost connection and speed all over the place , we switched to a new router as the belkin router turned out to be the cause of the problems . we now have a D-Link DLG-4100 Gigabit router had it two weeks and no lost connections speeds are always in the range of 8500-10000, the lowest i have seen is 7500+,

the site asked for an update
everything is still good now have powerboost and it works as advertised,
12/16/2010

We Had signature home Installed yesterday. Installers 2 were great new their stuff
they replaced all the cable in the house installed the 2 cisco 8642hdc dvr's the surfboard 6580 wideband modem and connected it to my dlink dir-825 router, we still have are arris modem for phone every thing works fine all speed tests are at 50/5 ,] multi room dvr is working great Installer explained everything and set up modem so i have acsess to all the info and config pages they also left a lot of info pamphlets »www.speedtest.net/result/1655116 ··· 6258.png

1/2/2012
We have had signature home since 12 16 2011 still working great 50/5 wideband is great no slow downs or disconnects during prime time speeds are always at 50/5

08/08/2013
time for an update
Still with Signature Home things are still working fine, TWC replaced the line coming into the Apartment(squrriels ate it, , we asked the tech if we could get a combo Modem and he went to his truck and gave us the Arris TG862G. things are working fine and we just got a speed increase

2/13/2014
the site has asked me to update my review.
the only things that have changed are our internet speed increased to 100mbps down but I get about 113 down
and we added an hdhomerun prime so got a cable card and tuning adaptor an works great

6/4/2014
got the Max upgrade down speed is between 320 and 325 mbps, up is 20 to 25 mbps , We replaced the Arris TG862g with the Arris TG1672g

member for 10.5 years, 5660 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by rtazz1 See Profile

• Location: Fulton,Fulton,KY
Good "no caps"
Bad "flaky signal levels and high latentcy"
Overall "speed and price are good now ill let u know after the promo is over"

Turbo 20/2
went to the local office with my modem she still set up the order for renting one of theirs( install tech had a lot of issues because of that)

CPE Moto SB6141

noticing crazy signal levels on bonded channels power ranging from 1db to 13db see my post in fourms

member for 13.8 years, 2565 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by MrBungle87 See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "TV is garbage. Overpriced, rate hikes, below the line fees, constant stupidity."
Bad "Overpriced; decaying infrastructure; poorly trained sales and tech reps"
Overall "Don't waste your time."

·Frontier Communi..
1/2/2015: dropped Internet around a year ago, have only had TV since then (Preferred TV with one HD, non-DVR box), which started at a promo rate of $49.99 and something like $7 for the STB. Well, TWC sent me a letter GRACIOUSLY extending my promo rate for another 6 months. But they didn't. I'm not paying $59.99, plus like $6 more in taxes and fees, so my total bill in the past of $64 is now up to $82. I guess the idea is they're just letting me know they're not charging me as much as they *could*. Will be canceling TV ASAP. Sick of this shit.

Signed up for Extreme (30/5) Internet, having bought my own Motorola SB6121 modem. Once signed up and provisioned the modem wouldn't sync and turns out was still not activated. Had to call TWC several different times just to get transferred to a higher level tech. The tech finally determined the modem hadn't been "entered into" their system properly. After the requisite wasting of my time on the phone I was finally activated. Speed tests yield around 34Mbit download (during non-peak hours) and 5 to 5.75Mbit upload. Do note, however, that peak time speeds were cut by about half, taking me down to around 15-17Mbit with some packet loss.

The only positive thing I can really say about TWC Internet in our area is it's faster and typically more stable than DSL from Frontier. Upload speeds, while still a paltry 5Mbit, are approximately 5 times faster than what we got from Frontier's VDSL. However, the cable plant in this area has been neglected for quite some time and shows obvious signs of wear and tear.

After the promo period expires, I'm given to understand the price of the 30/5 tier increases to $74.99 a month (but TWC is adept at being VERY tight=lipped about non-promo pricing, even if you walk into an office and ask them face-to-face).

Bottom line? I tried it for a month, decided it wasn't worth it at present time, and will probably just tether my phone's LTE until either Frontier or Time Warner gets their shit together.

member for 2.1 years, 644 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

FitzDaMan

join:2014-02-26
USA

TWC Reward Card Quailifications.

On DEC 2,2013, I had Extreme Internet(100MBPS),and TWO DVRS("Household Package Bundle" for Living Room/Bedroom) installed by TWC(no phone service). I was a NEW Customer. The Technician said I was good to go to obtain the Samsung Galaxy Tablet IF I adhered to the Requirements:
1) Keep Bill Payments ONTIME for 3 months.
2) Present an old "WOW" Bill terminating their service and what we had.
3) DO NOT drop any Services Installed.
4) Register WITHIN 30 days AFTER the Installation to obtain the "Rewards Redemption Number" for the Card.

HERE'S what you ALL should watch out for...I feel.

The Promo for THAT Tablet itself ENDED on DEC.18,2013.
To REGISTER within 30 days DID NOT and IS NOT a valid,legal statement to obtain the Tablet. I registered on DEC.23rd,2013(WELL within the allotted time frame of 30 days,I THOUGHT) and obtained a Redemption Number THINKING I had applied within the terms. WRONG answer Rick. They didnot inform me, ONCE the Promotion ended it ALSO took the warning of the 30 days registration WITH IT to quailify. So, in essence, I had ONLY(DEC 2 - 18th) to get my butt online and REGISTER, to which it's a DIRECT contradiction in terms, I feel. So, I caution you all that are applying for their "NEW" deal for the next Promo.....better ask,... I didn't.... and now I'm screwed "..........Samsung Galaxy Tab® 3 7.0 and Samsung Galaxy Note® 8.0 offers expire 1/31/14 or when supplies run out, whichever occurs first. Samsung Galaxy Tab® 3 7.0 is available to new subscribers and..........."

Now they say I am ONLY good to get the $150 Visa Card. HUH??? I AT LEAST thought I/we would of gotten "Grandfathered" in since the DEC 2nd Installation was so close to the Expiration of the Promo on DEC.18th. It's when the Promo for THAT PARTICULAR phone ended.....NOT for the Registration of the Rewards Card Requirements to obtain the Tablet.....I thought. What am i missing? I dunno.

Just switched to Frontier from TWC

I also posted on your Frontier review. I found TWC to be unusable at times despite the speedtest.net results I was getting. Switching to Frontier has eliminated those issues. I can actually work from home reliably now, and streaming is actually usable. I had the Extreme (30/5) package from TWC, but they recently notified me I would start having to pay $77.95 per month soon, so I decided to leave. Given the Comcrap merger will likely include bandwidth caps, I thought it was best to be ahead of the curve. If Frontier doesn't work out for me long term, then Google Fiber coming to town is my only hope.

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

I hear you. Frontier has better local techs and they seem to give more of a shit than TWC does. It's just unfortunate that Frontier can't EVER seem to resolve their capacity issues. I realize ISPs don't plan for everyone to be using 100% of their connection all the time, but the peak-hour bandwidth issues with Frontier make it pretty miserable to do anything online (especially when pings jump up to 900ms).

Google Fiber seems like the only hope for this area.

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

Ironically, after praising Frontier today, of course I have no service tonight. I am posting this from TWC because I hadn't cancelled yet. Frontier tech support cannot tell me why my Internet is down. Apparently my options are snappy performance and middling reliability or vice versa, but not both. When it is working, my pings are still sub 30ms. Come on, Google Fiber!

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

What package do you have? I have Ultra (I think) which is 24/2 VDSL and we've had about the same reliability as when we were on ADSL (7/1)--which is to say, crappy.

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

I HAD Ultimate which is 24/2. The DSL connections to the DSLAM were up, but it wasn't passing any IP traffic past there. I called to cancel today because I work from home frequently, and I cannot rely on flaky technology. Anyway, the CSR admitted that they had been having a lot of outages in my area and offered me a $5 discount on the service to stay. I refused because it doesn't matter how little it might cost if the service is not up when I need it. TWC, for all its other issues, is up pretty much all the time.

When I had ADSL (7M/768k) with Verizon at my old house, it was rock solid, and honestly, perfectly usable for anything I need to do on a regular basis. I was hoping the VDSL solution from Frontier would be like that.

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

My dad works from home, too, and depends on a stable (not fast, mind you, just stable) connection but both Frontier and TWC couldn't meet that standard. Frontier is definitely the less reliable of the two, but we had dropped packets, low peak hour speeds, etc. with TWC, as well. So...what other options are there? AT&T? They won't even bring U-Verse here. It's a farce.