Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by horacebork See Profile

• Location: 09001
Good "service, support, reliability, value"
Bad "price goes up. regularly."
Overall "basically good service. wish their internet-only rates were more competetive."

(note: i only use twc for my cable internet. i do not use them for tv as i receive good reception and am not interested in 95% of cable programming.)

originally was resold twc thru ny connect. ny connect was essentially a pass-thru company and offered no value-added services. twc handled all my technical and account level support, so ny connect was essentially of no added value.

we have had power or service disruptions on several occasions. in each instance, twc very supportive. nyc was working on the road in front of my building and cut the line at least twice. in both instances they were prompt sending out service staff to perform repairs. and when the repairs were not completed within a 24 hour period, they prorated my fees for the month.

this past december (2013) they offered a year-end deal. for $10 less they offered double the download and upload speeds. when i called in, they said this was for first time customers. however, the rep simply offered the discounted rate to me anyways. for that, i had to terminate my service with the essentially useless ny connect and directly subscribe with twc. perhaps that was what allowed them to offer me the discounted rate.

at one point they "changed" their service and were going to start "renting" the cable modem to me at $5/mo. i thought this was a little greedy so i bought a cable modem (listed on their approved list) for myself ($40 motorola surfboard). works fine. they even recognize it from their end.

they regularly increase their rates without increasing up/down speeds. this is really nervy. there is not much cost difference between 20mbs and 40mbs. but the price they increase my services far outstrips any difference incurred by greater up/down speeds.

oh well, i am hoping that i can renew my current monthly rate this december.

[update] converted my subscription form nyconnect to twc directly. ny connect offered no value added services. rates were higher than direct to twc.

member for 3.5 years, 725 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by pizz See Profile

• Location: Astoria,Queens,NY
Good "MaXX Upgrade 300/20 - rock-solid stable. Never a slow down."
Bad "Customer Service Store, in the Queens Center Mall. In Elmhurst NY. Worst Customer Service Reps, there period."
Overall "They have come up in the world. Faster internet speeds. Better TV selections. Phone rock-solid."

8/6/14 - Bill is 197.00 and I get the ultimate Triple-play. With all movie channels. They don't offer this plan anymore, as I was told. Cause of all the movie channels added in. Fios is in my building now. And i never thought I'd stick with TWC over FIOS. But I am, and couldn't be happier.

member for 13.8 years, 3649 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

kilrathi
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

maybe not zero problems

Your lucky I had packet loss problems on the upstream for past year and quite bad this summer, they finally realized the lines here couldnt handle 64QAM on the upstream (rockaways queens) and new cmts uses max 16QAM so the problems occur less now but I would never say zero problems for tw in nyc. Back few years ago that was true. There is hope now that they added more downstream channels upgraded their cmts and doing more upgrades this year that it will be trouble free again at least for me.

pizz
bye bye twc. hello Comcast.
join:2000-10-27
Astoria, NY

Re: maybe not zero problems

sorry for the long reply. I understand your problems, i followed it on your forum post. I thiink it's because you have so many buildings there, that your upstream will be congested. I'm gonna reword my review as i see the errors in it.

i hope the new cmts works well for you and they increase some node splits in your area.

good luck
It's ok to say, 'I don't know'. It's even better when someone takes the time to explain what you, 'don't know'.

Review by chachster See Profile

• Location: Westerville,Delaware,OH
Good "Great tech for the install."
Bad "Get pixelization every once in a while"
Overall "Internet speeds are good and the TV service is as expected"

·WOW Internet and..
I ordered a DVR with HBO and Ultimate Internet (50meg)

Came with the 8300HD DVR - Relic, but it works.

Installer made sure everything was working before he left. Using my own modem and that was no problem getting online.

I also have 4 cablecards for TiVo and Silicon Dust HD Prime, sports pack and Showtime.

I see pixelization every once in a great while, but I've come to accept that as digital cable.

member for 12.1 years, 4225 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Pegasus See Profile

• Location: Hilton,Monroe,NY
Good "Stable speeds. Lots of HD. Better appointment times. Whole home DVR works great. No fee's for paying bill on the phone."
Bad "No premiums HBO, Showtime ETC included. Should include another client box. "
Overall "if your happy with TWC in your area & want more than 1 DVR & 50/5 internet signature home makes sense."

Signed up for signature home on 7/14/2013, Installed on 7/21/2013

Ordering was pretty smooth. spoke with a very nice woman who was easy to understand and pleasant & excited about what she was selling.

Installation was quick & painless. Tech sat down with my family & myself before installing anything to go over all the services and to make sure it suited all of our needs. after that all the cable outlets were tested & the tech was shown where all the equipment was to be placed.

For cable boxes i was given 2 Cisco 8742HDC.

For data & phone i kept the dual modem set up i already had, Arris for data & Technicolor for the home phone.

The only real complaint i have about signature home thus far are:

1. should include one client box included in the 199.99 price.

2. The call center for signature home is iffy. its hit or miss. Its not a terrible, the agents are never rude or unhelpful but sometimes it feels like the agents are in training & they are nervous.

Things i rave about:

1. No stupid fee's for paying over the phone, or paying by check over the phone.

3. Im never on hold when i call

4. The appointment times are fantastic. no waiting around for a tech.

5. The field techs. only the best of the best tech's do signature home appointments. this is really great. in the past before signature home ive had some very rude lousy techs.

Overall its just nice to have a cable company kiss my keister, even if its just a peck.

July 2014 Update.

Not much of anything has change service wise. Only changes have been with support. the signature home call center in NC is excellent now. No more using *67 to block my number when calling to get regular support. Its flip flopped. regular support is horrendous now it seems.

Comments:

Review by aemurray See Profile

• Location: Van Nuys,Los Angeles,CA
Good "download speed, reliable"
Bad "Too many menus in reacing tech support"
Overall "Tech support and service seems to have deteriorated"

Have used TW for 10 years, services until recently has actually been very, extremely good. Of late, the past 3 months, the phone and the RoadRunner service disconnects. Contacting tech support is of little to no value. The roadrunner service has deteriorated tremendously. Have called several time because of numerous, long-term drops. Have had to disconnect all cables (power, coax, Ethernet) and hit reset button, let sit for about 10 minutes before plugging everything back in and usually on about the 4th attempt of going through this procedure I get my connection back. Tech support was here two weeks ago and was to have replaced my cable modem but instead the tech only checked outside wiring and stated some of the other TW customers had loose connections and caused my connection to "bleed." Connection lasted about a week and the problems started again. Have another tech call in on August 2. Before TW was able to send someone within a couple of days, now it is taking two weeks. Don't think I will be putting up with this type of service much longer.

Comments:

Review by beeftaco See Profile

• Location: Beaver Dam,Ohio,KY
Good "Speed, when it works"
Bad "Speed and connection, when they don't work"
Overall "I'd have no problem moving to another ISP if one were available in the rural area I live in."

I had New Wave as my ISP before TWC bought them out. When they were bought out, the transition was seamless: no replacing my modem, no new cables needed to be run, etc, so I would list that as a pro.

With New Wave, the price I was paying was $30-35/month for internet service (no phone, no cable) that was reliable, albeit not as fast as what I currently have. A few months after TWC took over, my bill jumped to $44.95. I will point out that this was without prior notice/permission under the claim that TWC upgraded my internet package to better speeds. Again, I didn't call up TWC to request a better/faster package, and I wasn't given a notice (prior to receiving a bill) about the change.

Speeds: Speedtest.net varies according to time of day. But at about 10 PM CST on a Friday night, it clocked in at 14 mbps down and 1 mbps up. The speed, when it's working, is acceptable. I live in a rural area and the next thing I have to compare it to is satellite (I've been there/done that with WildBlue and got robbed blind--$1000 in bogus charges over the three months I had them), so the price for speed is pretty good compared to what's currently available in my area.

The connectivity: I do a decent amount of online gaming and there was a period of a couple months where I'd be dropped from games or lagging so bad I'd have to reset both my modem and router to fix the problem. I'd have to reset everything at least once/day for a few months. It. Was. Tedious. They must have changed something behind the scenes, because that problem doesn't exist anymore and while it was annoying, it wasn't annoying enough to give them a call to get the issue resolved (the stuff is back up and operating in just a few minutes' time).

Billing: I've made an online account and no longer receive paper billing. It's more convenient to just pay my bill via a mobile phone app, so tally another pro for TWC. The paper bill does not contain an abundant amount of information. I'd be interested to see monthly usage (in case I ever get a chance to change providers I'd know what package I'd need from a different ISP) and I can't even tell you what package I have; neither of these is listed on the paper or downloadable PDF bill.

Tech support: I don't have to call in or chat with tech support often, which is good because their over-the-phone/internet tech support just sucks. I spent 1/2 hour to 45 minutes with chat support just now (at least half of that waiting to be transferred from one tech to another) and still didn't get the issue I was having resolved. I was given a runaround of unnecessary diagnostic tests and whatnot just to be told to call up my local office during business hours. My problem: YouTube streaming was being extremely slow (I'm talking 5+ minutes to load a 1- to 3-minute video). There's an old workaround for this posted online but it's outdated and doesn't work. Still, the fact that workaround exists tells me TWC is throttling YouTube streaming and has the capability of fixing this problem. But they seem disinterested in helping their paying customers the workaround for this. If customer service/support is important to you--as a consumer--I'd suggest avoiding Time Warner Cable.

So while the price, speed, and connectivity is just "OK" (I definitely wouldn't say great), their tech support is severely lacking when it comes to helping paying customers.

Comments:
why60loss

join:2012-09-20
·Verizon Wireless..
·AT&T Wireless Br..

Youtube is a big issue with Time warner cable

Those in LA/NYC get gold, the rest on this topic seem to get dumped on when it comes to speed from youtube.

The only way around it really is a VPN and no one brings this up about them like Comcast/Verizon because they only let that go on in markets like yours when they know and tech support looking up your billing zip know that your "choices" are limited.

What happens with youtube is at the link from TWC to youtube. Time warner cable doesn't want to pay for an upgrade to the link in your area so in place of getting 14mbs to Youtube you get some slower speed that forces the video player to wait for the data it needs to play the video. It's really a bunch of BS, because AT&T and Comcast don't have this issue with YouTube like TWC does. (They do how ever want to shake Netfilx down for money, but TWC is the only ISP I know that seems to hate Youtube so much.)

Tech support though can't do anything about it even if they did care because they don't have the power to upgrade the link from TWC to Youtube, that power is far far above there pay grade.

Review by CCat See Profile

• Location: Wonderland
Good "50Mb Down / 5 Mb Up"
Bad "Nothing for now."
Overall "Pretty consistant"

I switched from WOW in March. TWC offered a bundle with cable, internet, and voip.
Aside from a minor install problem (which was corrected the next day) everything went well. The turbo speed (15Mb down) is great. I only have 768K up but I really don't upload much so for me its not an issue. So far, so good.

Jan 2009 ISP has been very consistent with speeds. Aside from the usual slowdowns at peak times, and even these are not really a problem. At this point I am very happy with Roadrunner.

Sep 2009 Nothing has changed since Jan. A couple of outages due to weather but thats about it. The usual slowdown with cable at peak times but acceptable.
Just wish RR would increase the upload speed, 768 Sucks.

Mar 2010 Everything is still the same here. Speeds have been consistent and where they are supposed to be. Upload still sucks though.

Jan 2011 Nothing new to report. A few times the cable went out but was corrected in a reasonable amount of time. Speeds remain consistent with the occasional holiday slowdowns. Still stuck with the 768 upload, hopefully that will be changed sometime soon.

Oct 2012 RR increased their upload speed from 768 to 1000 a few months back. Better but still slow. In Dec I am getting the 50/5 package...looking forward to that.

Mar 2013 Finally got the 50/5 package. Only had it for a couple of days, but so far it is solid.
What a difference from the 15/1 package. It costs $30 more per month than the standard 15/1 package which brings it up to $59 per month with the TV and Phone bundle.

Oct 2013 Still running well. No outages or problems since March. Speeds remain consistent.
Would like to see a boost in the upload speed, especially for a 50 package.

June 2014 Have the 50/5 package now. Last month they had an upgrade. This upgrade totally screwed up everything. Problems with email and tremendous slowdowns with internet speeds. If this keeps up much longer I will be changing providers.
All they say is that they are aware of the problem and are working on it...Yeah right.

July 2014 Things are pretty much back to normal. Took a long time to correct IMO.

member for 8.7 years, 5239 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

Email.

This is why you do NOT use your ISP's email addresses. Why do users still insist on using their ISP email? So when you change ISPs again you can change that addy? get a domain or a domain. $9.25 on name.com with a coupon code.

Review by hhv1 See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "It's internet"
Bad "It's the only game in town for me..."
Overall "It sucks, it's over priced, but I have no other choice"

I would fire them tomorrow if I had another choice and I'm hoping some competition will come soon. No U-verse in my area, no Verizon FIOS, no Google Fiber nada, zip, zilch. I can't stand TWC and their crappy service, I just have no alternatives.

Comments:
etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX

What?

1. Which tier are you subscribed to?
2. $95 for what?

People that can't afford faster tiers should get the "every day low price" internet for 14.99 a month. If you can't afford $95 TWC I'm sure you can't afford $95 uverse or fios.
xQim

join:2003-09-20
·Fairpoint Commun..

said by etaadmin:

I don't see anywhere that this individual in anyway, shape, or form, said that they couldn't afford the service. The reviewer just claims that it is over-priced, and it sucks. Case and point: TWC is an overpriced oligopoly that offers garbage speeds at premium prices. 5Mbps is the quickest upload speed. TWC launched RR in 1995. Other then blatant greed, why are TWC speeds still so slow and overpriced after 19 years?
why60loss

join:2012-09-20
·Verizon Wireless..
·AT&T Wireless Br..

said by xQim:

said by etaadmin:

I thought Time warner cable was over priced as well and I had no issue paying the bill on time and in full. I think the reviewer just is mad that TWC is ripping them off is all.

It would have been nice to see more detail on why it sucks for the reviewer but I know what they do to those with out a choice very well. Those living in LA and NYC have no idea how they run things in areas with out a choice.
xQim

join:2003-09-20
·Fairpoint Commun..

4 edits

said by why60loss See Profile

Agreed. The reviewer should have gone into more depth as to what particularly irratated them. There are "two" options here and they both are terrible. I have to go with TWC because I don't consider unFairpoint to be a competitor. The price to speed ratio is absurd: $59.99 for 7Mbps/1Mbps, $49.90 for 4Mbps/1Mbps, and 2Mbps/768Kbps for $44.90. All prices are per month. Keep in mind that this does not include: fees, surcharges, taxes, etc. When TWC merges with Comcast I might take the leap to unFairpoint and use DSL as the primary and cable as the secondary fail over or load balance it. Why? unFairpoint does at least give you unlimited data. I refuse to pay for a service that is already overpriced and restricted to a data limit.

The price for TWC internet after the promotional year sky rockets. The ultimate package is $119.99/Month, Extreme is $99.99, Turbo is $79.99, Standard is $59.99, Basic is $39.99, and EDLP is $14.99.

I also do not consider Satellite or 3G (no 4G) to even be a last resort. The data caps are way to low, overpriced, and latency is way to high. I would take Dial-Up or ISDN if possible.

Review by outtherenost See Profile

• Location: Corona,Riverside,CA
Good "322/22 - No CAPS, reasonable company to deal with, 10+ yr customer"
Bad "Nothing to max downstream bandwidth with, maxxing 100mbs was tough enough"
Overall "I like TWC and for a big company that is a major achievement."

7/6/14:

Maxx Upgraded for a while now, everything is still as it should be.

TWC network must be pretty beefie, I have seen no negative changes since they started rolling this out.

May be downgrading soon, wish I had not sold my 5431J

7/10/09:

Still working good, very few issues as of late. Hopefully a speed bump is coming with all the latest FioS upgrades going on, but 15/2 is perfect for my needs for now.

Updated: 8/28/08

Still running strong. I am one of the fortunate ones that only has a few people on their node and get the advertised speeds day and night. The only time it's slow is when there a regional issues which I have been lucky to not have been effected by that much.

Until something better comes along or they start capping/throttling I'll be staying

Keep up the good work TWC

-------------------------------------------------

Talking to TWC about TV packages I discovered that RR Extreme is 15/2 is my area of Corona because FiOS is in the same zip code, I have ATT however. By being nice I was able to get the CS person to match my ATT Elite DSL price for a year so I could see just what all the fuss was about with this "cable modem thingy" that my friends had told me about.

So far it's very nice, nothing seems blocked and speed does not seems to vary day or night.

trash
--------------------------------------------

member for 13.3 years, 4449 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by spanola See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY

I've had mixed results with TWC. Some days the service is solid and others it takes forever to load something even when I'm sitting directly in front of the router. If I go into one of their retail stores the service is good and generally knowledgable. The phone service is hit or miss on how well they solve an issue.

member for 1 year, 7 visits, last login: 74 days ago