Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by wwwandy See Profile

• Location: Waukesha,Waukesha,WI
Good "Haven't lost connectivity or no drop issues"
Bad "Very bad value; Inflexible customer support staff"
Overall "Only option, so living with it. So eager to switch to better provider"

I've been a Time Warner Milwaukee customer for 11 years now; Called them about 9 times over the last 11 years trying to get to lower the service & they do so about 10% of the time.

Since there is little to NO competition for TWC in my area, They get away with highway robbery!

Comments:
wwwandy

join:2015-02-07

09/17/2014 Applied 36.77
08/17/2014 Applied 36.77

Review by spdickey See Profile

• Location: Pacific Palisades,Los Angeles,CA
Good "MAXX Upgrade performing well."
Bad "Very seldom putages"
Overall "Getting what I'm paying for"

After MAXX upgrade and replacing my modem with a DOCSIS 3.0 model, and also replacing ethernet with gigabit ports I'm getting exactly what I should.

January 2015's Monthly SamKnows check provides the following

Packet loss

0.24%
0.00% Min 10am, Thu 1st Jan
37.74% Max

Comments:

Review by pcpc21 See Profile

• Location: Schenectady,Schenectady,NY
Good "Reliable service"
Bad "lack of competition and choice"
Overall "the only practical choice in town for modern Internet service"

Time Warner would charge additional monthly fee if you need to use their cable modem. You can avoid this fee if you purchase your own cable modem. They have a list of compatible modems, so it is not too hard to select one from online retail stores. The monthly cost in this review is the first year promotional price for the Standard Speed service (15Mbps download). Service has been reliable, but lack of competition and choice is something left to be desired.

Comments:

Review by dunworkin See Profile

• Location: Bellflower,Los Angeles,CA

Signed up for the 200 MB package. Since tweeking my router, things have been fast and reliable. Waiting to see over the long haul.

member for 8.2 years, 2675 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by quisp65 See Profile

• Location: San Diego,San Diego,CA
Good "Fastest internet in my area"
Bad "Ever so slight amount of disconnects over our previous very stable VDSL connection"
Overall "Best & biggest internet pipe for nerds in 92108"

I ordered 50/5 Ultimate 50 and the installation process went smoothly and took no more than 20 minutes since I had everything almost ready. They gave me a Ubee modem but I switched over to my own sb6183 modem to save money and be ready for 300/20.

I had Uverse VDSL before and I had a rock solid connection with them but only got 30/5 for roughly the same price. My wife has had a slight few disconnects playing WOW in several months of having TWC internet, but nothing that is of any significance to us.

member for 11.9 years, 891 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Pacrat See Profile

• Location: Cortland,Trumbull,OH
Good "Seems to be very reasonable rates for performance realized"
Bad "RR rate tied in with SmartHouse digital cable TV pkg"
Overall "Very pleased with ease of use and pain-free installation! I recommend!"

We've waited for quite some time for RR to be made available and now that it's here, we're very pleased with the performance. Of course, nearly anything would beat the 56K dial up connection we had. I just figured my averages and the Speed Test Tool has revealed what seems to be a pretty consistent Up of 350-370. Downloads seems to vary quite a bit but still average 1682 (counting the day there was a general cable problem in our neighborhood. If I discount the readings on that day, I get an average Download reading of 1912 (1413-2689). Don't know if there is a cap on anything but it seems there might be on the upload side, at least. West Coast speed readings seem to be consistently higher, generally well over 2Mbps. It's still very early in the game.

.Installer took great pains to route the cable in the most inobtrusive manner, and made the modem split before any of the TV feed splits. Don't know if that makes any difference or not. I definitely recommend the service, even without the "all the bells and whistles" TV pkg.

I am using a Toshiba PCX1100U modem (USB), to a Dell Dimension 8100 (1.3Gb, P-4). I have heard that the USB slows things down, but I sure haven't seen it. I wasn't quoted a specific speed, but was promised performance at least 10X over my modem, and I'm certainly getting that. I did apply some "tweaks" and noticed something 200-400kbps improvement in the download. Kept tweaking 'til the program said to leave it alone! No problems yet, but I'll keep everyone posted!

Special intro rate for 1st 3 mos. (SmartHouse Pkg = $89.99) Forgot to mention before that because RR was just now made available... install was FREE!

Struck by my 1st outage!!!! EGAD!!! Thought I was suffering from withdrawal. RR Techie showed up right when they said he would and within 15mins I was up and running again... as good as ever! Only rap was that it took 24 hrs to get someone here. Tested the signal and went to the splitter to reverse the TV and Modem taps. He said something about one tap being 1db down while the other was 9db down. So he reversed the taps so that the modem would have the least signal drop out of the splitter. Seemed pretty knowledgeable and he gave me some other(local) test sites to check speeds. Could only test downloads but could break it up into text, graphics and multimedia. Three different tests! I told him about DSLReports and he wrote it down in his "little black book" for future reference. Overall... I'm still sold on NEO.RR and sure would try to talk anyone else around here into spending the few bucks extra to get it. Now if I could only talk my wife into bagging AOL....!!!!!!!!!!!

2nd Outage!!!!! All of our utilities are underground. That said, we've experienced our 2nd outage... my wife cut our cable while she was edging her flower bed. They don't put it very deep (the cable lies just under the sod layer) and when my wife was edging the flower bed around the side of the house, near the cable junction box, she very neatly cut the cable in two with her shovel. I sure can't blame the outage on TWC, but in the spirit of truth and complete reporting, I offer it for your amusement. TWC is coming next week to replace the whole line... operating with a temporary splice job 'til then.

3rd outage! This one definitely wasn't the fault of RR or TWC. Seems they're(city employees) digging up the existing curbing in our neighborhood in preparation for casting new curbing and repaving the streets. About 2:10pm. today, 7/11/01, everything went out... no TV no RR, no nuthin'! I called service and they said they'd send someone out to check on the situation ASAP. In the meantime, I had to leave the house for awhile and I took an alternate path leaving the house. This took me over one block and lo and behold... there was our cable trunk line sticking out of the ground about 5 feet. Or, rather, one end of the line was sticking out... the other end was still buried in the ditch. Our city employees had hooked the cable line with the back-hoe and completely severed it. I called TWC-RR back again and told them that I thought I'd found their problem, and it was going to take more than just one "techie" to fix it. I gave them the exact location of the break and they were very appreciative. At approximately 6:00pm my service(TV and RR) had been restored. And get this... the repairman stopped at the house to thank me and checked to make sure my service was up and running again, before he left the job.

So, in the past 3 mos. I've had 3 outages... only one of which could I blame on TWC-RR. I'm still happy with the service and the performance I'm getting.

[Update 1-26-03]

Still sailing along quite smoothly... construction has ceased, at least temporarily, and the lines have remained intact. One minor glitch that I should mention, though. Every week there seems to be a mandatory "test" of the emergency "broadcast" system for about 15 seconds or so... designed for the cable network. I have noticed and reported that during the "test" RoadRunner has a tendency to hang for those few seconds. When I called to report it, I was told they are aware of it and are trying to correct the situation. It seems that the test signal occupies all the available broadcast bandwidth and it's spilling over onto the bandwidth used for RoadRunner. It's really no big deal... lasts for only a few seconds, but it is noticeable when the cable status light on the modem starts blinking.

[Update 12-5-03]

Overall performance is still great... and per their ads, download speeds have increased.. but certainly not 50%. The only gripe I have is that they seems to be having some intermittent problems with their e-mail server. it seems to crap out every few weeks for several hours. Supposedly for "scheduled maintenance"...

[Update 3-13-05]

About two weeks ago, my connection speeds dropped off the table... right into the dumper. And then I lost all ability to connect to any site on the web, including RoadRunner's home page. Made a call to customer service on a Tuesday afternoon and got a service call appointment on Thurday at noon. It was a long two days! Techie showed up right on time, power-cycled the Toshiba PCX1100U modem and determined it was DOA. Went out to the truck, brought in a brand spanking new Motorola SURFboard (SB5100), and hooked it up via the NIC and all was well. I mean really well as it immediately improved my connection speeds from less than 2000/330 to 4754/375. I'm happy... The only gripe I had was that it took two days to get it fixed. But I guess I can live with that, considering it's only about the second time in better than 4 years that I've been unable to connect and it was their fault. The other couple of times it was construction crews digging up the cables all over the neighborhood.

[Update:4-6-05]

Experienced about a 3-hour system shutdown this moring. At first I thought it was just me, but a call to TWC confirmed that they were having a system problem(area-wide) and that it shold be up and running soon. Well, obviously it's been fixed or I wouldn't be here now. Not a huge problem, but it''s a little disconcerting to not be able to get online immediately. Still, overall, I think it's a good buy.

[Update:10-18-05]

Experienced a few very minor outages, but they were enough to convince me not to add their internet phone service. The whole area was out (both cable tv and broadband) on two seperate occasions, but each lasted less than an hour. I still think, even with the minor inconveniences that it's still the best available in this area. I can see how people get so upset when their service hiccups, though. We've become so accustomed to instant access that when it doesn't happen we go directly into "withdrawal".

[9-24-07]Added VoIP phone service a couple of months ago. Install went pretty-much without a hitch and TWC has made available Caller ID on the tv screen. So now we have the whole bundle...tv, high-speed internet & phone. I was reluctant to put all my eggs in one basket, for a variety of reasons, but everything has been working very well and we've got no complaints. Well, none except I'd consider that the package is a little on the pricey side. But it's still cheaper than than what we had before... unlimited long distance with our telco, with all the calling features we never used, plus Road Runner, plus way too many premium channels available on the tv. But Momma's happy... and you all know the story... when Momma's not happy, no one is happy. And Momma can talk to her heart's content to the relates across the country, so she's very happy. No significant outages, although it has "hic-cupped" a couple of times for just a few seconds. Overall, we're pretty happy with the whole setup. But I'm sure there are cheaper ways to go about it available somewhere. This may not be eveyone's "cup of tea", but it's working for us.

[04-24-08] Have noticed marked increase in my download and upload speeds over a year ago. Some general improvements must have been made. No significant problems... just a couple of minor hiccups due to power outages on their end due to severe weather. I'm still very-well pleased with the service we've been experiencing. As far as saying much more, I guess no news is good news!

[10-3-08] System has been rock solid for months. Awaken the computer and the net is right there. Downloads are very acceptable. Don't upload that much so it's pretty adequate for my needs. Besides... my wife is happy, so I must be happy, too!

[11-18-10] I don't monitor my speeds regularly, but it seems that in the last several months, my connections have been noticeably quicker. I'm of the opinion that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and so far, it's worked quite flawlessly. There haven't been any appreciable outages, so I cannot complain about that. My wife loves it. She's big into Facebook games and has no patience, waiting for screens to load. She has no idea what "Please Wait" means. I'm still very satisfied with the connection, although our "bundle" price seems to be creeping upward pretty regularly. But then, so is the price of gasoline, milk, bread, and electricity.

[May 16, 2011] Now into the third day of sporadic outages of Road Runner net service and VoIP phone service. Two calls to Time-Warner have not resulted in any improvement in continuity of service. Outages seem to be random in duration and frequency. Sometimes, everything is fine... other times completely FUBAR-ed. Problem is evidently a system, or at least area-wide, as neighbors are experiencing the same symptoms. As much as I am annoyed by T-W's response, I have to admit this is the first time in years there has been a problem that lasted more than an hour or two. Am going to contact them again and request a billing adjustment for prolonged lack of service. We'll see what happens

[4-2-14] It works! Don't have to wait for pages to load. It's there when I need it. Not much else to say. We've had it for years and it's done nothing but get better. How fast is it? I don't know. It's certainly fast enough for our needs/wants. We've had a couple of small "glitches" over the past couple of years, but mostly they seem to occur in the "wee" hours of the morning so, for the most part, they've not affected my normal use of my connection. I probably wouldn't have noticed them at all if it weren't for occasional insomnia on my part. I don't test unless there's an apparent problem... and there hasn't been much of anything of that nature, with the exception of the aforementioned cases. And those may be due to normal system maintenance work being done during "off" hours. Is it perfect... no, but what is? For those who expect 100% performance all the time, it may be frustrating, but for my use, I'm totally satisfied with what I'm getting. The only dissatisfaction I can state is with the construction crews who, for whatever reason, tear the cables out of the ground from time to time. I do not attribute those types of outages to TWC. Just careless backhoe operators.

[1-30-15] Lost my VoIP part of my service a couple of weeks ago. Called TW, and the techie showed up the next day. He replaced my old modem/gateway with a new Arris TG-1672 and everything has returned to normal. The only gripe I have is the size of the new unit. Relatively speaking, it's huge and a bit awkward on my desk top. Performance-wise it seems to be working quite well, although it took an inordinate amount of time to get everything working and synced up. The techie admitted that his unfamiliarity with Apple systems had a lot to do with it. After some considerable "futzing" he finally got everything set up and running. It seemed that Apple Airport unit didn't want to "play well" with the new modem. But all is well and our service is sailing along without any further fiddling.

member for 14 years, 7317 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by elray See Profile

• Location: Santa Monica,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Cheap, reliable, sufficient for our needs. 3M/1M ELP enough for GV, Netflix 720p"
Bad "Modem rental fee hijinks - one-off annoyance eliminated with modem purchase"
Overall "TWC is fantastic!"

·EarthLink
We ordered TW Roadrunner 1.5 when our DSL went out of service for a week - the phone company (Verizon-GTE) was incapable of undoing the damage they caused internally to our vintage Frame-Relay hookup - so we had to convince them to build a new circuit from scratch.

TW installer showed up 2 days after we placed the order. He had to borrow my ladder, extension cord, and I had to fish the cables for him as he routed them about the building.
Since I ordered only cable-internet, no TV, he took the time to scold me and tell me "I installed a filter" (so I can't hook up a TV.)

As usual, they expect to hook up your Windows system raw to their internet - so I had prepared a disposable system for the occasion. It was attacked in 3 minutes.

The tiny black cable modem generates way too much heat, and throughput is not consistent, slowing to a crawl at times, though not often enough to warrant pulling the service. Since it is cheap enough ($34.95/mo total), we actually are keeping both DSL and cable modem, in hopes that one of them will be working when the other goes out.
(I know that sounds cynical, but our experience bears it out.)

I'm hoping to get a better price than $34.95 - there was a $19.95 package, but I haven't yet figured how to get them to commit to it.

Mar 2008 Update: service is more reliable, but speed drops to 650Kb often. Not sure if they're throttling or saturated - resetting modem doesn't change anything. Otherwise no complaints. Still would prefer cheaper price, but in Verizon/GTE area it seems we've always had to pay a bit more.

November 2009: We downgraded to Roadrunner Lite (768K) some months back, to save a few bucks (now $26.95). Service is decent, except when it goes out every 4 months, we have to spend an hour on the phone to get to Level III tech support, for them to re-sync their access server. Levels I & II can't do it, but are glad to insist we need to swap out the modem or schedule a truck roll and spend a day at home waiting for them.

February 2010: after rate increase to $28.95 for 768K, we are offered 10M/512 for $34.95, or 1.5M/384 for $24.95 with 1-year price lock. We chose the latter, of course. Had to speak with an offshored Level II tech to get it working, but it took only minutes. Satisfaction with Time Warner continues to improve slowly.

November 2010: Continue to experience multiple outages without any resolve.
TWC offers 10M/768 for $29.99 with one-year price lock - we accept, thinking we'll be getting a Netflix-enabled monitor to replace our dead TV.

2011-2013: Satisfactory, bullet-proof service at $30/month for 10/1 and 15/1. November 2012, purchased used cable modem SB5101 for $22 to offset stupid rental fee, installed without a hitch. Mid-2013, switched to earthlink resale of tw cable after $30 rate expired for good. Switch to EL cumbersome (an hours worth of phone calls) but service works fine.

January 2014: After six months diversion to Earthlink, we're back on TWC, on the 2M/1M Lite service package, for $14.99 a month. Converting back was a bureaucratic nightmare, one hour and 15 minutes of phone calls to get it done right, but again, the service works flawlessly and its dirt cheap.

January 2015: TWC boosted us to 3/1 a few months back, price remains $14.99/month, service continues to work great.

member for 14.2 years, 2288 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Millenium

join:2013-10-30

Same

We have the same 2/1 service on the east coast. We've had two streams running on Netflix, or one Netflix stream and Facetime running simultaneously. I was surprised how well it works.

Review by ipwn3r456 See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Full speeds almost all the time, pricing isn't that bad."
Bad "TWO billing mistakes, with occasional connectivity issues."
Overall "Well, it connects to the internet. But I still wish for competition."

I am using their Standard tier internet (originally 10/1, later upgraded to 15/1, and now the 10% provisioning is more of 16.3/1.1), originally paying $29.99. But since my promotion ends in one year, they continued to give me an another promotion, but pricing increased to $36.99 (without taxes, modem fees, etc.), I am fine with that... for now.

I ordered internet online, and process is pretty smooth. Although the technician came in a few minutes late(I think the appointment was around 10am-12pm, the technician came around 12:05pm). First he checked the cables outside, and drilled a hole so the cable can go through. He installed an Ambit modem (forgot the model number), which now I am using my own modem, Motorola SB6141. Everything went smooth, until when the technician was about to leave, my neighbor came out and told the technician that he disconnected his TV cable. The technician quickly installed a splitter, and no problems.

Overall I am fine with my internet speeds, no outages, no slow-downs (almost all the time), and I am pretty fine with it. Although I want competition. Besides TWC, only AT&T serves in our area as well. But they are only offering up to 1.5mbps DSL, which is completely irreverent in terms of speeds and pricing. I would want AT&T to have Uverse coverage in our area, not because I want to switch back, it's because I want competition in case if TWC soars up prices on me.

Update 12/4/13 - Time Warner keep charging me for modem rental, even though I have been using my SB6141 for more than a month. The lady over the live chat was nice enough to remove the fee. So I guess another problem solved. But seriously Time Warner, fix your billing systems. It looks like the billing system is more "profit" wise than accuracy. This is already the second mistake Time Warner did. The first time was charging me for installation fee even though it was free. And I am dropping the pre-sales 25% lower because of that.

Update 12/16/13 - During the past few days, my internet connection was pretty terrible. I am getting over 200ms+ ping, and also packet loss. Speed was also dramatically decreased, making it a terrible browsing experience. Because of that, I am dropping connection reliability 25% lower.

Update 4/9/14 - Everything is still fine, getting full speeds almost all the time, maybe with the exception of peak times. I will have to see about pricing changes after my 2nd year promotion (which ends in august), plus the upcoming MAXX upgrades (if it ever happens in my area).

Update 6/16/14 - Connection problems are getting worse lately. I don't know what is going on, but I am getting packet losses/high ping issues, sometimes few times a week, sometimes as worse as few times a day... can't even play any online games with my connection. For this, I am taking off another 25% from connection reliability. Might have to contact TWC about this if this keeps happening. No TWC MAXX upgrades yet, still sticking with 8 download channels and 1 upload channel.

Update 7/31/14 - Just upgraded to Turbo as a part of negotiation, since they are going to charge me $50 for standard, so I called their retention department and the promotional price for turbo is all they can offer me. I said yes, and saved $5 a month, for now. I should be more aggressive next time when I am negotiating with TWC. No TWC MAXX upgrades yet, but we will see how it goes later this year.

Update 11/13/14 - After month and months of desperation, TWC MAXX has finally arrived to my area, and at the same time, they announced the completion of TWC MAXX upgrades in New York and Los Angeles. I am getting 69/11 for now, because my router isn't gigabit capable. Connection reliability has gotten better now, I will raise 25% for connection reliability. I will update once I get my new router.

Update 1/3/15 - I recently got my new router from T-Mobile, the T-mobile Personal CellSpot (Model number TM-AC1900). It's essentially the same as the RT-AC68U, with a modified firmware. Since it's free to rent (as date of 12/21/14, now sure when they will end the free rental, you pay $25 deposit regularly), and I needed a new router to handle the new speeds, it's perfect for my needs. I am getting full speeds now for my Turbo Plan (now Ultimate 100), usually around 108/11. So far, everything in good.

member for 1.6 years, 784 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
mbreyer

join:2013-11-14

Los Angeles, CA

Re: .

said by mbreyer:

sir that is the competition. they just aren't competing very well

Yep, typical monopoly in the telecommunications. And the politicians just doesn't give a damn about it.

FreeBSDuser

join:2013-05-15
Somers, NY

Alternatives

Looking at your address, you may be able to get Sonic.net, DSL Extreme (resold Sonic.net), Webpass, and Earthlink Cable (resold TWC).
ipwn3r456

join:2013-07-31
Los Angeles, CA

Re: Alternatives

said by FreeBSDuser:

I do know that sonic.net is available in my area, but I live 10000 feet away from the CO... I don't think I can get fast speeds from that range.

Review by dsl10102 See Profile

• Location: Studio City,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Acceptable, when it works...which, of late, is more often."
Bad "slow-to-no speeds, forever-length hold times, remote support not always current with respect to network conditions"
Overall "Improvements are encouraging"

Improved speeds. Recently more reliable.

Comments:

Review by OpTiC See Profile

• Location: West Covina,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Speed, Unlimited, Reliable TV, Internet, and Phone"
Bad "had five billing issues and a technician that came, didn't do anything twice"
Overall "I'm probably staying this time"

·T-Mobile US
·Charter
January 2014 - I lowered tech support, value, and connection reliability because the tech named Hector came to my house and blamed my equipment. He also sent a maintenance guy to threaten my that I would have to pay for service if I have the problem again.

October 2014 update 3- I upgraded my DVR service to the Enhanced DVR (6 tuner) for $3 more. That was a better deal than the standard DVR so my bill is 157.98.

October 2014 update 2- Also found another way to lower my bill I found a promo from TWC's website for the same services for $20 less so I might as well switch I will be calling in will be giving DSLR an update.

October 2014- got a free extreme internet bump and my bill was also lowered to 155.53. I also started using my own Motorola sb 6183. My MAXX speed is 200/20

September 2014- Got TWC Maxx 100/10. I also upgraded my double play with starter tv to the better triple play for $169 preferred tv, all premiums, variety pass plus, a DVR (Motorola DCX 3510) the extra set top box (Motorola DCX 3200 P3) also have whole home DVR.
August 2014- got a second cable box. It's a DCX3200 P3

July 2014- Waiting for MAXX upgrade might upgrade to extreme or ultimate internet for better bang for the buck.

March 2014- Have the Turbo Tier. Still no speed caps which is great. Consistently get my speeds. Very few outages. I hope this isnt my last TW review update. Comcast may be taking over soon. This upgrade cost $10 more a month.
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3390 ··· 90779019

January 2014- I upgraded to the Standard Tier with the same TV package for $10 more a month on top of Basic internet.And I also bought my own modem the Motorola sb 6121.
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3325 ··· 25528071

July 2013- I upgraded to the Basic Tier with the same TV package for $10 more a month on top of Lite internet.

May 2011- I sign up for Lite Tier with El Paquetazo tv package

==============================================================

I have experienced several outages that were due to migrating the two networks together. Speeds have stayed relatively the same, and up until this point, have not been upgraded like much of Time Warners other markets around the country. Being the only game in town however, I feel lucky enough to actually have high speed internet so I won't complain to much.

Upload speed is a bit low, but when the speed increase is put into effect, I expect this to change.

Television service is great, and they have a growing number of HD channels, which looks like it will grow more in the Fall when several new networks are launched.

In the end, they are a decent choice amongst an area with very little to no other choices, except MAYBE Verizon Fios.

member for 1 year, 508 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
TechGuy007

join:2013-08-23
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
·exede by ViaSat

Time Warner Business Class

Service has been great overall. The initial technician was kind enough to replace the main cable drop from the street to the premises with a commercial grade cable. He disclosed he did not have any more of the newer modems and would leave me with an older model and to call in if there were any problems. The only concern that arose was between 9pm and 11 pm the speeds would slow. I called in the morning and had a tech visit later on in the afternoon. After the required testing, the signals were extremely strong and the tech did state the modem would be the issue. He swapped out the cable modem with the newest model available and left. Sure enough it was the modem because that evening between the times I was seeing slowdowns it did not happen again. Overall I am really satisfied with the service and it is well worth the extra money each month even though the speeds are not as high as residential service. Wondering if the merge goes through if Comcast will give Business Class customers a speed bump.

OpTiC