Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by JeffO0 See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Fast connection, quick installation, works right away"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "So glad to get rid of Telocity"

I signed up for Road Runner online and within a few days a person called me. They offered to have it installed within a couple days after that but I needed to wait a week. On the night they were going to install they had to postpone because of a bad batch of modems. The second date the guy came at the beginning of the 3 hour window which was nice. He was here a total of 45 minutes and I was up and running. After a registry tweak my download speed is between 800 - 1500+. Telocity DSL was a total nightmare. I've only had RR a day but VERY happy so far. Telocity took 6 weeks just to get it to start to work and for 8 months it never did have much reliability. Time will tell for RR on that issue but very satisfied so far. It would be nice if the price was $40 a month instead of $55 (I don't have cable TV).

Comments:

Review by zurler See Profile

• Location: Pearland,Brazoria,TX
Good "Installation was on Time, Lightning Speed, Very Dependable so far"
Bad "None yet"

Was very disappointed to learn that I could not obtain DSL when I relocated near Houston. Only option was ISDN or Cable. Road Runner via Time Warner was the only option and I am glad I went with it. It appears to be almost twice as fast as my previous BellSouth DSL service. Though I have only had the service 3 weeks, I have had absolutely zero problems with blazing speed all the time. I am waiting for the catch which I worry is to come. Installation was as promised and Road Runner offers free installation currently through Time Warner.

member for 14.3 years, 235 visits, last login: 5.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by ryanmok See Profile

• Location: Fresh Meadows,Queens,NY
Good "kickas* speeds, solid connection"
Bad "the people who work at time warner"
Overall "it's a wonder such slow people manage such a speedy service"

I signed up for the road-runner service a little before the summer of 2000, after three attempts and three months later, i finally called them up to complain and here i set up an appointment the next week. one week passes and the cable guy comes to install the lines and set up the modem. the pc guy who was supposed to setup the computer part (ethernet connection to modem) was delayed. the first guy was late by 3 hours so i expected to wait for the other one a few more hours. a few hours passed and no one came, i called them up again to complain and after waiting 15 minutes i spoke to a representative who told me to contact someone at another phone number. i hung up to call the new number to find out this one was the number for time warner DTV service. once again i waited 15 minutes to speak to an as*hole who told me they messed up and i would have to wait 3 weeks for the pc guy to come. the only good thing that i got was that they wouldn't charge me for my first month until the pc guy came. those idiots gave me the royal screw but i got my revenge because with me was my cousin, another computer person, who helped me set up the rest of the process with my own ethernet card and registry tweaks. i was online in no time surfing the web at 2000kps (really) and so i had two months for free, later when the pc guy came, he set up the rest of the stuff he should have weeks ago. i took it upon myself to leave all the settings and hardware from my netgear ethernet card in the computer to piss off the pc guy. Two months since then i was kicking as* in multiplayer with the cable and downloading all my **legal software at a rockin 220-270kb/sec from various idrives and freedrives.

You can't beat the price either, for 60 a month, you get all the software you ever wanted (given you know what you're doing). Also their tech support is pretty good too, i've been emailing them at least 5 questions a week to piss them off (for my installation troubles) and they've responded to each one promptly. lastly, i didn't get an ethernet cable or a modem stand until i whined and griped about it.

member for 14.4 years, 11 visits, last login: 12.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by shadowman50006 See Profile

• Location: Kissimmee,Osceola,FL
Good "Only been disconnected once, great speed, great reliability"
Bad "Installers need to be more organized, tech support in Canada?? Need to correct DNS Mistakes"
Overall "Great for me since ISDN is the only other alternative, would recommend just be patient"

Contacted Time Warner which is our Cable Provider on Sunday at about 9pm (This was great that they were even open on Sunday big +)Spoke Customer Service Representitive and she had explained that they did have an opening on that Tuesday.

Waited Until Tuesday (No Biggie Here only 3 days) I already had a Nic Card, but the installation was still $84, $42 for them to come out and $42 for the first month. Technician was supposed to come at 11:30am, I received a call at 12pm from the outsourced Install Supervisor explaining that he had not received my install job sheet until just now and that his other installers were already busy in my area. He then proceeded to say that he would contact me later for more datail and if they could get here within a couple of hours. I told him to just have someone drop off the modem, the correct splitter and to call the modem in to activate it because I am a Network Tech and have done this plenty of times before. Of course he said no when I told him that I would just deduct the install fee since I would be doing it myself.

Received numerous calls throughout the day, all saying the same thing "We'll be there soon." Finally at around 6pm some 7 hours later I receive a call from a RR install tech on the other side of Orlando some 45 - 50 Minutes away asking me how to get to my location to setup the service. Gave the tech the best Directions I could from his location, he did arive some 45 minutes later, it was already after 7pm before he could even get started. Install tech installed the splitter, I placed the modem and instantly after he called it in, we were live.

I have had the service for over 2 months now and it has worked beautifully. I have only had one disconnection and that was done by RR when they were switching IP blocks and they had let us know some time in advance. I think that the installers need to become more organized and that they also need to give you all available information ( I did not even know that I had an email address with them until I called Tech Support for the first and only time??) Other then the minor setbacks everything is going great, I just hope that they will be able to handle the load when the local node becomes crammed.

The modems that are used by Time Warner are Toshiba PCX1100 with of course DOCSIS standard and "Cap City" capability all ip's are dynamic and ussually released and renewed every 11hrs. Road Runner is still growing and will hopefully kill all of the bugs soon, but for now everything is o.k.

member for 14.3 years, 989 visits, last login: 9.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by dtbmjax See Profile

• Location: Jacksonville,Duval,FL
Good "Great up/down speeds. Actually decent tech support. Been up for almost 5 months, only down a little over an hour."
Bad "eMail address of mediaone.net. I changed it to jacksonville.net. Had one referral so far. A little trouble getting the credit."
Overall "Since MediaOne left the picture and AT&T took over, they're really trying to fix all that MediaOne screwed up!"

Ordered the service the first of August. Requested delayed installation due to vacation. Installer arrived on time. Installation took about 1.5 hours. Great tech, former military, very personable. I'm running a GW-GP7 w/PIII-800, 256mB RAM, 40gB primary, 20gig secondary, dual 15" flat-panels, HP-CDRW, blah, blah, blah. Already had 10/100 NIC installed in my PC so hookup was relatively painless.

Since Mediaone left the picture, AT&T is trying the fix the bad reputation for customer service that MediaOne had created. So far, so good. I've had to call tech support twice. Once to get the correct FTP URL for my FTP client and the other to ask about my referral. AT&T BB offers one free month for every referral they hook up.

I wish I had waited about 3 weeks to sign-up. AT&T started a promotion in September 2000. 19.95/month till April 2001, no contract, free installation and no other cable service required. Damn!!

If you are in the Jacksonville area, you can use wither mediaone.net or jacksonville.net as your eMail address. They won't tell you that but it works. The less association I have with MediaOne, the better.

Since I have had AT&T BB, I now have their digital phone service. Got that free till February 2001, free installation, two moths of free Voice Mail and about one-third the price of BellSouth phone service. (21.95/month incl: CF/CW/3WC/CWCID/*66/*69/CT/CB/etc....)

Overall, very good experience and that's saying alot since the idea of good customer service seems less important for many companies. Now if their stock would just go up!!!

Comments:

Review by daschles See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "only reason install took so long is they were willing to do on Saturday!"
Bad "I had bad connection issues but I had to resolve on my own. My fault: old driver"
Overall "blazing fast. better than the dsl I used to have with the late Red connect"

The install was SO much smoother than my first dsl with Red connect and an aborted nightmere with Verizon.

Telephone tech support not great BUT excellent help web page and helpful interactive help chat with people who seem to know something.

Very fast.

I'm happy so far ... much better overall than my bad dsl experiences.

Comments:

Review by jpstout See Profile

• Location: Alpharetta,Fulton,GA
Good "Great on-time delivery!"
Bad "None yet..."
Overall "Better than IDSL at 23k from the CO!"

I live about 23k away from the nearest CO, and had to get Speakeasy's IDSL service when I moved in here. That's was about a 4 week wait until I was up and running, but 144/144 just wasn't cutting it. I called up AT&T Roadrunner, and put an order in late on Thursday. Here it is Saturday and I'm up and running at 1500/300 on a Cable modem! Sure, it's shared bandwidth, but I'm not gonna go download crap all day either... Cheaper and Faster than IDSL, bottom line, this rocks if you can get it!

Comments:

Review by martinstark See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
Good "Ordered at 2:00 pm on Friday, installed at 1:00 pm on Saturday!"
Bad "Got some screwey conflict with OS X"
Overall "Cheaper than my DSL, installed in less than 1 day, no contract."

I am customer number 4476 with Mindspring. Have been with them for over five years. When I recently moved, they said that it would take at least 21 BUSINESS days before they could even place my order for DSL reinstallation with Covad. Needless to say, I have high speed urges that can't wait a freaking month for reinstallation.

Anyhoo, I called Time Warner, placed the order on Friday afternoon and was up and running on Saturday with no installation charge, no contract, no equipment charge and for $10 less than my DSL. So far, download speeds are hovering around 2000 mbit whereas my DSL was approximately 1100-1200 mbit. I have had some TCP/IP problems that appear to be related to the Classic Compatibility Open Transport extension that was installed on my Mac when I put OS X PB on a second drive. Whatever...

Comments:

Review by Time1 See Profile

• Location: Pinellas Park,Pinellas,FL
Good "Fast downloads / Cheap"
Bad "Unstable Latency"
Overall "Good value, good for most uses."

Cable connection
Motorola CyberSurfer Wave modem
2 Dynamic IPs

When I first started the service everything was perfect, speed, latency and an almost static IP due to the low number of users on my area network. But as time has progressed and large numbers of users are now on my area network speed has drastically reduced and latency jumps to over 1000ms except for the early hours of the morning.
Overall not too bad even though I originally got this for online multiplayer gaming that is not enjoyable now due the major amount of lag I now experience.

member for 14.2 years, 17 visits, last login: 13.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by income

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Fast Interface"
Bad "Takes weeks to repair--when/if they show up; for the many extended calls to tech support use headset to avoid neck strain"
Overall "Better than a poor dialup"

The following is based on two years experience, but I'm getting tired of
beta testing their system which is constantly "updated" and paying to do it!
Presales: three stars
Install coord: one star-- two no shows for appointments
Connection Reliability: two and half --average at least one significant
outage or major loss of speed per month with at least 8 hours of effort
on line with their tech support. There are 4 levels of support and I
generally need all of them before they admit to a problem. E-mail has
been OK expect that there has been several events where the "server
malfunctioned" and only some of the mail was delivered or was
unavailable for 4-24 hour increments.
Tech Support: one star --every problem takes min of 4 hours contact and
frequently more than one. When they finally admit to a problem and have
to send someone out for repairs there is at least a week delay. In one
case it was a one week delay with a no show followed by an additional
scheduled visit yet another week later! Tech support is spread to
groups all over the US and is not tightly coordinated. The typical
response is that "you caused the problem" until you demonstrate it's
them. One time they insisted that it had to be microsoft and gave me a
toll number to call them. In fact I demonstrated otherwise by using an
alternate dialup with no problem. Suddenly, a day later their system
started working without any changes on my part... They are currently
having lots of intermittant router problems that precludes access to
some web sites--but only intermittantly...
Services: four stars --they do offer a good connection when it is
working and there is a dial up capability that is OK.
Value: three stars --when it works the speed is wonderful. It's just
that you pay twice; once in cash and the other dealing with their tech
support that doesn't fix things that stay fixed.

(review was emailed from domain mediaone.net)