Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by bpmonaghan See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "always on, always fast, always dependable"
Bad "you have to associate yourself with time warner cable, no web email"
Overall "damn good!"

after declaring war on verizon, i finally signed up with roadrunner thru time warner in new york. i must say, the service is excellent. it took them about 6 days to come and install it and it gets done in about 5 minutes and your online. free modem, first month free. now i put a low rating for tech support even though i don't know how it is, but you know at all those big companies that it never fails to suck big time. so far it doesn't seem like i'll need it. it has been known to go out once in a while, but my nieghbor who has had it for months said there was a period of like 5 hours ONCE where it got stuck on him. if you want broadband, get this, it puts the despicable verizon online to shame. if you have a problem and tech support doesn't arrive the net day, you get a month free.

Comments:

Review by NGOwner See Profile

• Location: Leawood,Johnson,KS
Good "This is the way broadband should be!"
Bad "No web based email access -- RR software user authentication"
Overall "Don't walk --- RUN to your phone and order NOW!"

Lets roll the clock back to Spring 1999. My situation was typical of many others here. I live too damn far away from the CO to get DSL (29000 wire feet thank you very much). Satellite wasn't an option. Cable hadn't been rolled out yet. Wireless was still a figment of some executive's imagination. 56K hell.

In Kansas City, Time Warner had been very aggressive rolling out their cable Internet, but it hadn't yet reached my neighborhood. I put my name and email address on their early bird newsletter. They said by doing so I'd get preferential treatment, and be contacted when the service rolled out. I got a few email newsletters which were just fluff. I checked their website several times a month to see if any new neighborhoods had been launched. Late in the year I started calling about every four weeks to see if my neighborhood qualified. No dice.

Then came the New Year: January 2000. I called again. Lo and behold cable is available. My first though was why didn't they call me? Anyway, I remember dropping the phone in surprise when they said what day would you like it installed tomorrow perhaps? Take that DSL! Another thing. At the time I ordered, Time Warner was running two promotions:

1) If you pre-paid a year of service, you got your 13th month free. (did that!)

2) Customer referrals get you a free month of service. (have done this three times!)

Check to see if those programs are still running!

The install didn't go smoothly. In fact Time Warner uses some weird system. Two people. One to run the line, one to prep the computer. When the first guy came (late I might add, but that's OK, I got my installation free that way!) he was the computer guy. I insisted on a fresh cable drop. He left the Toshiba cable modem and took off ycause he was just the computer guy. Said the cable installer would come later that day. Once the cable line was laid, then he could come back and finish the installation.

And boy did that cable guy come late! 7PM! But he got the cable installed. Fresh drop from the cable thingy on the street all the way to my computer. BTW, you should insist on a fresh cable drop, too. Who knows what people have done to the cable lines in houses/apartments, or for that matter how long they have been there. Signal degradation is virtually a given with older lines. Make sure that the line from the head end to your computer is NEW!

Rescheduled the computer guy for Saturday morning. I sat in my office at 9PM with this broadband connection. I had to fiddle with it. Had to get it going. And I did! Frankly I was a little disappointed at first. It wasn't very fast. DL in the 30-50 KB/sec range. Sigh.

Then I went online and looked for cable tweaks (this was before I stumbled across dslreports). Found lots and tweaked. Whoa, is all I can say. If you haven't tweaked your computer for maximum throughput you must! I was pulling 1300 1500 Kb/sec. I was happy.

Computer guy came as scheduled on Saturday. Installed that useless RoadRunner software, made me sign the appropriate use contract, and left.

Since January:

1) The line has been down three times to my knowledge. No outage lasted longer than 2 hours.

2) Over the summer I noticed that during peak times the connections seemed slower than they seemed to be in the spring. Testing validated my feelings. I had slipped to the 900-1200 Kb/sec.

3) In the fall, Time Warner increased neighborhood capacity, DSLreports currently shows my line consistently in the 1800-2000 Kb/sec DL range.

4) Set up a home LAN using the LinkSys Cable/DSL router. Easy as pie, except that I can no longer access the control panel of the RoadRunner email accounts because the router blocks identification. Oh well.

5) Upload speeds have always been a rock solid 384Kb/sec.

I have no horror stories to report about Time Warner and Road Runner. In Kansas City, they rock!

[NG]Owner

Comments:

Review by BANDITT9 See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI

I am currently using Time Warner RoadRunner. Since my install date of
early Sept I have only had 1 problem. Where they upgraded their IP
scheme and did not allow for enough IP addresses. This problem has now
been corrected and for not getting service they have given me 3 months
free service. This problem was just in the Milwaukee, Wi area. I would
recommend RR to anyone in my area. I have heard the rumors from all
other areas about cable modems going out all the time but I have yet to
see that problem. If anyone is planning on going the cable modem route
and need some questions answered by a customer I'm your man. Send me an
email and Im more than willing to help.

Bryan

member for 13.8 years, 311 visits, last login: 3.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by neo84 See Profile

• Location: Hialeah,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Excellent Speed 4mb Connection Down and 500kup 2 days from order to live!"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Its the best for your money 19.95 till April 2001 and then 49.95 a month."

After having DSL with Telocity for four months I called it quits. Three weeks ago I lost sync and Bellsouth nor Telocity knew what the problem was and was giving me the run around. I ordered AT&T RoadRunner (used to be MediaOne) and two days later the install guy was on time and in less than an hour I was up on the web getting a 4MB (download) connection and a 500k (upload)During peak hours my connection stays at about 2.5MB and during offpeak stay at 4.0 sometimes hitting 6.0MB. I haven't had it for a very long time however, from information I've gotten from friends of mine in the area have all been postive. I will re-review AT&T RoadRunner after I have had it for a month. As it stands I couldn't be happier!

member for 13.4 years, 26 visits, last login: 13.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by t0dd See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Anoka,MN
Good "Install techs go the xtra mile, 99.99% uptime for 11 months and counting!"
Bad "Phone tech support hit-or-miss since AT&T took over RR from MediaOne."
Overall "BROADBAND = This is your ISP, this is your ISP on steroids. Any questions?"

I have been a RR client now for 11 months - and have to say switching from analog (dial-up) to digital service has been one of the best decisions I've ever made. I live in the North Minneapolis suburb of St. Anthony Village, and found myself roughly 600ft too far from a CO for DSL service. As luck would have it our Community was one of the first to offer RR service. I 'considered' switching from my (free) 56k dial-up to "this new $50-a-month broadband thing" for about 6 weeks. I told everyone I was giving RR "time to work out the bugs", but in reality it was tough to rationalize paying $600/year for internet service. (Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free, right??) Well, I finally broke down and in December '99 called MediaOne (the RR ISP at the time) to set up an installation.

Folks, I'm here to tell you I waited 29 days too long to make that decision. Anyone accessing this review through a dial-up connection...pay attention - the speed difference is beyond dramatic. The service here is DHCP, and typical bandwidth 1500kbps download and 300kbps upload. Compared with 56k, it's like throwing a bullet versus shooting a bullet. Yes, the bullet still winds up in the same place, but it gets there a whole lot faster. Of course, having a bigger gun helps a lot too.

After reading a few of the other reviews on this page, I am GLAD there were no 'digital options' available to me prior to RR (the whole Verizon thing just makes me SHUDDER). My own RR experience has been absolutely stellar. For starters, I called to request service on a Thursday. The scheduler looked at the appointments and offered that Saturday as an install date. That's right, 2 days. I was blown away. THEN the install tech arrived about an hour AHEAD of schedule (calling first to make sure I was OK with the schedule change, which I thought was a nice touch). This guy really knew what he was doing, he tested the cable line (I do not subscribe to cable TV) and had all the equipment hooked up and ready to rock in less than 15 minutes. There was a little trouble getting the modem to "provision" (geekspeak for "see the ISP") and he spent about 30 minutes with the home office before realizing he'd entered the wrong MAC info. Once that was squared away, he even took the time to ask me how familiar I was with the internet, and he set up some favorites for me (RR homepage of course, but he had a couple cool broadband content sites to share as well). I was up and running in under an hour, and my service has not been offline for more than 5 minutes since then (literally).

I can't say I've noticed any drop in bandwidth over the last 11 months either. I use VitalSigns' NetMedic to monitor throughput right out to the server on the other end, and the RR subnet has always consistantly provided PLENTY of headroom. No telling what will happen once the nodes start to fill up (and once people realize the benefits of digital internet service, the rush will be on) but given RR's oft-displayed 'can-do' attitude, I am confident any issues which come up will be dealt with quickly.

My only minor complaint (and it's a small one at that)...AT&T assumed ISP status as our local RR provider (from MediaOne) a couple months back. While I've only had to call technical support 4 times in my 11+ months as a subscriber, the last time was after the 'management change', and I was not impressed with this particular technician's method of dealing with my question. I was having some POP-3 e-mail issues (with an account other than the RR one), and I simply wanted to know how often their local DNS cache was refreshed. I guess this was a question beyond the techical scope of the person I had on the phone, but instead of transferring me to a 'level 2' technician, he simply set me down and asked around. Upon his return, I got answers ranging from 'monthly' to 'every 24 hours', and no offer of any follow-up from someone with the correct answer. I hung up more confused than I was when I first placed the call - not a situation you want your customers to find themselves in.

But without a doubt, I love my RoadRunner service. Those of you who've read through several of these postings can see I'm in the majority. If you're lucky enough to live in an area offering several competing broadband providers, I'd recommend serious consideration of your RoadRunner service provider.

Enjoy your time online!

-TS

member for 13.4 years, 31 visits, last login: 11.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by Grizzyboy See Profile

• Location: Riverview,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Fast, Reliable, good tech support, makes me happy!"
Overall "Good ISP is u don't got DSL or don't want it"

Pretty good, a litte bit of down time, and i had a weak signal, but they were up on that in an instant. I love my Road Runner!

Comments:

Review by jtrjtr See Profile

• Location: Jamaica,Queens,NY
Good "Installation went smooth, Extremely fast & reliable"
Bad "Tech didn't know why their DNS wasn't working...(they fixed it)"
Overall "Awesome! I'm getting rid of my DSL"

I've been waiting for TimeWarner's RoadRunner to come into Jamaica NY. So i signed up online as soon as it was available. I currently have DSL and I'm tired of it. RoadRunner contacted me in about 4 days, they made the appointment for the following week (week of Nov 15th). BAM!!

Very fast!! It costs me more to have my DSL. It's cost me 39.95 * 2 for DSL.

I can't complain yet. If you live in Jamaica NY, GET RoadRunner!!!!!! Forget about DSL. It's too expensive, takes too long to install, and you're not always going to get the best connection for your money.

1. Can't beat $39.95 / month (you have to have cable subscription already)
2. Speed is awesome
3. Latencies are low
4. Damn DSL sucks!

Peace
James T. Romano

member for 13.4 years, 34 visits, last login: 12.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by zorro693 See Profile

• Location: Neenah,Winnebago,WI
Good "Speed and no disconnections"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Great service good pricing"

Got rr about amonth ago and it is great the speed is super I can download 7mb files in less than a min. never been dissconnected. never had to call for tech support. the installation crew was on time and great.

Comments:

Review by shrin See Profile

• Location: Waukesha,Waukesha,WI
Good "Rates for service are OK, It is faster then a Dail up. Install was fast however service tech was late."
Bad "Sales Rep were new and untrained, Personnel in general are not properly trained."
Overall "Speed issues have to be addressed and personnel have to be trained."

I am not sure if my problems are just because RR just went on line in my area or not and I hope they get the speed issues resolved. I can download from some servers faster using my dialup service.

member for 13.4 years, 15 visits, last login: 13.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by IsLaNd BoY2001 See Profile

• Location: Honolulu,Honolulu,HI
Good "Fast and reliable"
Bad "Gave junk ISA nic's that died"
Overall "Very fast and reliable - i recommend it"

I've had Roadrunner for about a year now. Installation was very fast but Roadrunner said they would come 8am-5pm(gee.. they didn't have to be so specific LoL). They gave a 3com ISA nic which died in a couple months, called and got a new one(exact same one). That one died in a month so i went to CompUSA and picked up a $10 one and now it's all smooth. Performance was about 75k/sec downloads but now Roadrunner is adding 3 DS3 circuits and plus i "tweaked" my pc and now i can get 450k+/sec which is amazing. Service has gone down twice in one year, once due to a problem accident in my area and the other due to network upgrading. Those were very short and i used dial up in the meantime. Live chat with tech 24/7 if you need help which is very good. Bottom line? Very fast!!! Reliable, good value and again great performance! I would recommend it to anyone and everyone!