Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by CharlesSchwab See Profile

• Location: Overland Park,Johnson,KS
Good "Fastest Broadband Available in Kansas City"
Bad "Still no e-mail"
Overall "Good Service and Great Value"

It took forever to get here, but it is well worth the wait. Road Runner cable speeds slaughter DSL. If it is available, jump on it. It is only $40 a month, and it beat the heck out of any dial up service.

member for 13.8 years, 103 visits, last login: 12.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by sanctuary See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "Fast service,Tech answered all questions,free install,free month service"
Bad "none"
Overall "2Mbps, need I say more!"

·Insight Communic..
I had a very good experience with RoadRunner. The install went well. Everyone showed up at the appointed time frame. Did have minor problem with firewall (Zone Alarm) but that was cleared and the first ethernet card was bad but it was changed.Tech was very informed and really enjoyed his job. I would like to thank DSL Reports for the information you provide.DSL Reports also helped tweak my system which provided the above result. An excellent site. Keep up the good work. Made it much easier to decide which provider to choose. Thanks!

member for 13.8 years, 205 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by cardwell See Profile

• Location: Alpharetta,Fulton,GA
Good "Fast, good news server, quick installation."
Bad "Wasn't always fast."

I'm in the Atlanta area. When I got Road Runner in June the cable company was MediaOne. AT&T bought MediaOne, and it is now called AT&T Broadband. Immediately after the merger, things deteriorated as the company shifted around, but now that everything has settled the service is actually quite a bit better than when I first subscribed.

The network, up to a month or two ago, was at 100% capacity in the evenings, and I was only seeing maybe 50kB/sec downloads. Ping times got somewhat high, and while it certainly was better than dialup it wasn't great. RR finally upgraded bandwidth by purchasing an OC-12, and now everything is quick and snappy 24/7.

A lot of people incorrectly say that DSL is a "dedicated" connection. And while this is true up to the central office, you still share bandwidth at the ISP (unless you are purchasing business service with guaranteed levels of service). Both cable and DSL will be fast, as long as your ISP maintains their network.

I really don't have much to complain about. Mail works. News not only works, but the news server is of pay server quality: 40,000 groups, good retention, complete binaries, and very fast. I have had a two days of downtime (two one day outages) and a few minor outages not worth reporting. Overall, it is pretty reliable, especially when compared to other broadband services out there. It also seems as though they have gotten their act together at this point. Tech support, I have heard, isn't too great. But since I haven't really had much experience with it, I couldn't tell you how it is.

In my neighborhood I know of at least 6 people having the service and there are about 90 houses total. For most they had the service about a week after signing up. I had to wait a bit longer because I also subscribed to the phone and TV service (the phone service is of better quality/price than Bellsouth's, BTW) but still was able to get it in under two weeks.

For $40 a month ($50 if you choose to rent the modem) it is worth it.

member for 13.8 years, 107 visits, last login: 5.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by tommy2684 See Profile

• Location: Staten Island,Richmond,NY
Good "Awesome Speeds!!!"
Bad "None!"
Overall "I had DSL, and Cable beats it hands down"

I Has 384/128 DSL for 1yr. My contract expired and i decided to give RoadRunner A Try. The best decision i ever made. I get constant 1Mbps-4.0Mbps/350Kbps speeds compared to 384Kbps/128Kbps. Installations was extremly painless, installer came on time and was out in 20min. My system was network ready. RR works great with my Linksys Router. I have 1 dynamic IP, which never changes thanks to the Linksys Router. If your looking for a low cost broadband solution, cable should be first on your list.

member for 14.3 years, 114 visits, last login: 6.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by dllarson See Profile

• Location: Hartland,Waukesha,WI
Good "Very fast."
Bad "Installation was a nightmare"
Overall "I'm happy I slugged my way through the hassles"

On 12/1/2000 (Friday) I had RoadRunner installed. It has just become available in my area (Hartland, WI--in the Metro Milwaukee area). The technician tried two modems but could not get RR to sync up. The modem's status lights (a ugly looking 3Com modem) says it is hunting for a downstream signal. He indicated that the signal levels were borderline. The tech said someone would be out on Wednesday (12/6) to check the cable lines.

I waited all Wednesday and nobody showed up.

I called customer service (877-947-7892) and they assured me someone would be out on Thursday (12/7) between 8AM and 11AM.

I waited and nobody showed up.

I called customer service yet again and they said they didn't know why someone didn't show and they rescheduled a service call for Friday (12/8) between 10AM and 12PM and absolutely assured me a technician would make it this time.

I waited and nobody showed up.

I called customer service and he said he couldn't understand why someone didn't show. He talked to some supervisory person and after some more contacts by me I got a call from someone who sounded official. She said they needed to do a "rewire" before RoadRunner people could be involved again and they would have someone at my house between 8AM and 1PM on Saturday (12/9--the next day).

You guessed it...nobody showed.

I was livid. I called multiple times and hassled people until they said someone would absolutely be out before the day was out. At about 5PM I got a call from a cable system contractor who said he just received a FAX stating that Time Warner skipped my service call and asked him to handle it. He said he had a crew that just finished up for the day but he could have them come out for the job. I thanked him and told him I would definitely be at home. Meanwhile my wife is angry because she had some plans for us during the afternoon that had to be cancelled.

The crew showed up and checked various signal levels, cables, and splitters. They declared the setup totally healthy and said RoadRunner would have to figure out why the modem wasn't hooking up. About 30 minutes after they left I got a call from a RoadRunner person who said he could have someone at my house between 10AM and 12PM on Monday (12/11). I asked him if it was a possibility that RoadRunner simply wasn't available in my area. He said no.

The RoadRunner people called to cancel their call on Monday (12/11) due to a blizzard in the Milwaukee area (12/11). I'm now scheduled for Thursday morning (12/15). At least they *did* call. On nearly all occasions when Time Warner people said they would call back they didn't.

She assured me that people in my community are definitely running on RR. This is good news. She also said it's not unusual when they enter a new area to find that the cable company accidentally left old amplifiers and filters at various points in the system. These would interfere with the signals. She thinks that is the case for me. If they find a problem with RR specific signals, then they put in a "plant" service order with Time Warner (oh nooooo!!!!). She said this can take a day or two to iron out.

She is the first person to gave me intelligent answers to my questions.

On Thursday (12/15) the RR tech showed up on time (on all ocassions the RR folks were on time..it's the TimeWarner people that gave me all the grief). He checked the RR signal levels in the house and out at the tap. My signal levels are too low in both places (of course the first person who came out found this too). He said there is a definite carrier signal on the RR channel (585Mhz I think). He put in for a plant service call. The Time Warner dispatcher said it would be a few days before they would do it. I wouldn't be involved with this type of service call so I don't have to be around. If all goes well () RR should just magically start working when the work is done. Of course I'm so battered and bruised I'm skeptical about anything I hear.

Later that same day the modem synced up and it has been working solidly ever since.

It is *very* fast and I love it!

Comments:

Review by jwollen See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
Good "2 days to install; great speed/ no down time;Tech Support easy to reach and knowledgable"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Good Value; Great Speed; Good Tech Support - Can't ask for better"

I did a lot of research before choosing Roadrunner and it really paid off. For $39.95 per month with free installation and no contract, I find it a good value. So far I've had no downtime. My speed has been between 986 and 1300 bps. I was connected in 2 days. It would have been 1 if I could have been home. The installation technician was very personable and knew what he was doing.

My primary email is through MSN and I had an issue where I could not send or receive without using my dial up modem. An email to Roadrunner about the problem resulted in them calling me the next day. We walked through the proper set up and I'm now up and running. You can't ask for anything better.

I highly recommend giving it a try.

Comments:

Review by npinedas See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Good speed even during peak times.."
Bad "So far none/"
Overall "awesome service.. good price.constant speed."

i have 2 months with att road runner(formerly media one) the speed have been excellent and constant even during peak hours. I usually gets 1478/269 all the time. I had yet to experienced an outage. I will recommend it to anyone. and by the way i paid 60 bucks with cable included. the only negative thing that i have to say is that it took almost 2 weeks to get road runner. the tech never came to my house on the day of the appointment and he even hook me up my network.

member for 13.8 years, 1565 visits, last login: 7.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by Papuga See Profile

• Location: Jackson Heights,Queens,NY
Good "Smooth Installation, On-Time Appointment,Worked immediatly, Blows Flashcom's DSL Out of the water"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "If you have it in your area, it's a great alternative to DSL."

I had Flashcom's DSL for a little over one year, and never really experienced any significant downtime, however, with all the talk of Flashcom's trouble, I figured it was time to "get the ducks in a row" and get an alternative provider, as there was no way I was going back to that dial up crap. I called Time Warner Cable of New York on Friday Morning, requested service, and it was installed on Saturday afternoon. Yes, the very next day! By the time the "software" technician arrived, I had it up and running, and all he did was have me sign that the job was complete. My down speed is consistantly between 1.15 mbps to 2.0 mbps and the up speed is around 350. By contrast my flashcom line was only 640/384 (When I actually got that speed) Now, downloads are at around 220-250 KBps on IE5.5

In all fairness to Flashcom, my circuit was good, and dependable, but I am only 2150 wire feet from the CO (Verizon) and at that distance, any offering of DSL will work without trouble. When I originally ordered the line last year, I contracted for 384/128 and requested an upgrade to 768/384. It took well over 4 months to increase the speed, with numerous calls to customer service, and finally an email to the president stating that if my speed was not increased, I was gone. In the end, since they are having all the problems, I out of there, and glad I am. Their [Flashcom's] Customer service is the worst that I have ever seen. Hours on the phone to resolve even minor issues, and then it often taks multiple calls to get someone that has a clue of what to do. I will post my business experince with Flashcom shortly (Quite a loooooong story)

**December 13 Update **

Had some speed issues over the past week, it began running so slow that dial up was faster. Complained to TWC, three times, finally got a tech that knew something about computers, and they sent a tech to the house. Turned out that the original installer wired the drop wrong. They placed a splitter off of an alread split cable, and signal to noise ratio was too high. Fixed the wire, then sent the field manager to verify serice. Speed now is consistantly 30 to 40 times that of a 56K. I certainly did not expect this kind of response, much less a field manager to come out to see if it was running well. Definitly still beats Flushcom.

*December 15 2000*

TWC tech came yesterday, took one look at the installation and said it was totally wrong. The installed ran the drop off of an already split line. He re-ran the line, and then said that the field manager would be over in one hour to check out the system.

The field manager came as promised within the hour, brought a new modem, and a fluke signal tester, spent about 3 hours testing the installation, and found that there was still a signal issue in the building, as well as a problem with a local router at RR. Went to the communications closet in the building, was there about 1/2 hour, then came back and said that RR was working on the router issue, but my signal issue was fixed. To make a long story short, he gave me the phone number to the data center in Woodside, and told me to call later that night to see if everything was resolved. Which I did, and found out that there was indeed a local router problem, and it was repaired.

I have been running speed tests every hour or so, and speed has been consistant to both east and west cost servers, around 1.6 to 2.2 mbps. I have hit as high as 2.6 mbps to the east cost, but I suspect that it is not too far away from here.

I certainly did not expect this type of response from a broadband company, especially after all the trouble I have had with flushcom, both at home and in myoffice. I strongly recommend them. ( I just hope that AOHell does not screw up a good thing )

Comments:

Review by tlpetry See Profile

• Location: Oak Creek,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Great speeds with up to 1.8mbps down and 356kbps up!"
Bad "Installer was in a big hurry, but being tech savvy I made my way through afterwards. They need to know DSLReports!"
Overall "Highly recommend at least in this area! Got free install and USB Nic adapter!"

They installed brand new 3Com Cable modem and a 3Com HomeConnect USB adapter and left me in about 30 minutes up on line. Although initial speeds were limited to about 150kbps, I found that my HP Pavilion registry settings in Win98 SE were way low. After I found DSLReports.com and went through the diagnostic testing, made few recommended tweaks, I have been online at 1.3 - 1.8Mbps downloads and 350+kbps uploads. Awesome!

Price is 39.99 with standard tier cable, 49.99 with basic or no cable service, with no time commitments.

member for 13.8 years, 35 visits, last login: 11.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by dslisbad See Profile

• Location: Herndon,Fairfax,VA
Good "Sooo Much Better than DSL!!!"
Bad "Tech support is lacking, but you hardly ever need them!"
Overall "Drop Verizon DSL and go with Road Runner!"

I have used Verizon DSL for over 1 year. I don't think that I have ever had more than 1 month without service interruptions (that typically last several days). Road runner is always up and can't be beat. Drop Verizon now and try Road Runner.

member for 13.8 years, 10 visits, last login: 13.8 years ago