Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by AiricR0 See Profile

• Location: Shreveport,Caddo,LA
Good "All good"
Overall "Great!"

I got a letter in the mail with my cable bill stating that R.R. was coming to my area....The area I live in is congested all I could get out of dial up was 26400.Yuck.I called to see how soon I could get it and they said, Hows tomorrow? it took 25 min. on and still on and runnin smooth.FREE install free first month...ta dah! if your local to my area 213-4246---tech # mention beta testing to get your free hook up.

I started out by veiwing the results in this wonderfull website and noticing My connection was kinda slow.I read the tweaks and decided that Im not geeky enough to attempt those so I found a utility called "broadband wizard" Now im at like 1905/332 ? Its free and its automatic@!"YEah" it also lets the geeks set it manually(nothing against the geeks)-LoL

Comments:

Review by Bill M2 See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
Good "2 day installation, It super fast (2MB+),It is a whole lot better than my experience with DSL."
Bad "None Yet!"
Overall "If you want something fast with 1/2 the headaches as dsl, go cable!!! skip the first pargraph if you just want to here about RR."

First of all let me tell you about my experience with DSL. It started in april of 2000, when I ordered DSL for the first time from Southwesternbell.I ordered it in april and the tech did not get to my house until the end of june. When he came out he could not sync up the dsl line, and he told me that I would have to call SWB to make sure all of my info was correct. I did that and they told me that they will send the tech out the next week to install it. He did not come until August, and still he could not sync it up and told me the same thing. I called again and they said that they had my phone# mixed up. I cancelled the order and gave them a tounge lashing. My girlfriend works for SWB, and she told me that they had stopped servicing my area. I only live like 5500ft away from the CO. Then I went with Flashcom.It took about 2weeks for the install. They promised me 786 up/down I only got 416 up/down (on a good day). When I would call tech support I would have to wait about 2hrs for someone to tell me that there is nothing they can do. Anyway they went out of business and switched me to Telocity. They have a great slogan for their service "You aint seen nothing yet" which is true because I did not see a damn thing from them guys except two HUGE gateways.(1 of them was faulty) When I got the second gateway I kept getting a red flashing status light. called tech support about 7 times and them and they told me that my sevice wasnt on yet, after e-mailing me and telling me that as soon as I get my gateway I would be ready to surf in "Telocity Time". Cancelled them also.

Now to Roadrunner, I called on 12/18/00 it was installed on 12/20/00. The tech that came out said that I had speed of 457 down. He said that That speed will go up if i do the tweaks. I did them and I was soaring at 2mb+. He was very helpful and he knew what he was doing. he asked me thorough questions about my system. And gave me advice about different things that you can do with RR. I am very pleased with my service. It has been about 99% better than my experience with DSL so-far.

member for 13.9 years, 21 visits, last login: 13.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by jefflou See Profile

• Location: Menasha,Winnebago,WI
Good "Faster then my 56k"
Bad "Initial modem problems,High ping number for the road runner service"
Overall "The only option since I can't get DSL (TOO FAR AWAY FROM SWITCH)"

Advertised at 1.5 mgb per sec down and 380 up.
39.00 monthly verses 12.95 dialup.Road Runner had to switch cable modems because of a widespread connectivity issue early in the startup process in this area.Motorola Surfboard modem is currently used here in WI.
Overall I am somewhat satisfied.Enough so that i will not go back to dialup even
for less money.

Comments:

Review by wishspell See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Never found any"
Bad "horrible connection speed, too far in cyberspace, the worst tech support in the U.S."
Overall "RR is just too conjested. Peak hours are almost 24 hrs a day. The worst tech support I ever saw.If you are a gamer, get DSL."

My god what a horror story. Cable dude from hell Installed my modem and sent me to the toaster site,(which is bogus) and tested the speed. It said I was around 900kbps. Well as I said bogus. Went to msn site and tested and I was about 500kbps. Still thinking, hmm maybe some tweaks yet. Well around 5pm, AAAK. I was under 200kbps and "Too Far In Cyberspace" to play any games at a site I go to www.mplayer.com. (Tried with 56k modem and was 88% Excellent and 12 good). I ordered this service because I was told I would get 1.5mbps. I mentioned the problem with the traffic and they said they corrected the problem. Well they totally lied to me.

Phoned RR and after pressing about 30 buttons and then waiting for 45 min. I get an answer "well 200 kbps is good". I ask that a service dude come out and look at the blasted cables. Guy says he is sending someone on a Monday, gives me date and time, well no show. Call cable people from hell again and tell them to get nasty service out of my house. It took them two weeks and they tried to bill me for the parts I returned. Heh heh, I had the cable pick-up dude sign a paper saying he picked up all the parts. Cable people are not ripping me off. Warning about cable, you are NEVER connecting at the speed you think you are.

Comments:

Review by Knicks998 See Profile

• Location: Monroe,Ouachita,LA
Good "Faster than 56K"
Bad "Gotten much slower as more people have got it."
Overall "This is better than 56k, but if you want an unshared speed line, wait for DSL."

I got RoadRunner Cable service installed about 3 months ago. They installed it on the scheduled date, so installation was pretty quick. They had to do something with my outside cable line, I think they had to install the right one or something. I've been pretty happy with it, it sure beats 56k. But the reliability isn't the greatest. It's been down sometimes, and sometimes the server would just not respond. Also, when I just got RR, the houston.rr.com test page read my speed was about 2000 kilobits per second.(200 KB per sec) Now, since more people have got on it, it has reduced to about 1000 kilobits per sec (!!!!)(its not 1 meg per sec more around 100 KB per sec) Cmon RR, you can do better than that. If price is an object, get this, because you can't really get lower than this. But if you are willing to pay the extra $10-15 per month, wait for DSL to hit this area. It should be more reliable and faster.

Comments:

Review by ragtopcat See Profile

• Location: Canyon Country,Los Angeles,CA
Good "2 days from order to online, super fast, first test 1972/296"
Bad "Customer service did not tell me about "self-install" - heard from neighbor"
Overall "Excellent way to get on the 'net...very, very happy. New nodes @ 50 subscribers."

I'm now on braodband ! Only 2 days from order to online, self-install kit is a no-brainer. Great speed runs on hookup, had to change my machine's RWIN for best speed.

Only flaw was that no-one told me about self-install kit when I placed the order. Had to find out from my neighbor, who is a Business Development manager for Time Warner Cable (Roadrunner). Once I knew, I flew down to the local office and picked one up. One hour later, I'm flyin' !!!

Love this ISP; new nodes at evry 50 subscribers, I'm very,very happy !!

Comments:

Review by mabasta See Profile

• Location: Bakersfield,Kern,CA
Good "Great Tech/Cust. Support, Fast Downloads, No Contract, Always On"
Bad "Low Upload"
Overall "The best yet. I've been there and done that with just about every type and company that internet solutions could be."

I've had just about every local and national dial-up service from way back at 28.8kbs. I've also explored various business and broad band internet solutions masked at large corperations. I've done the PacBell/SBC DSL thing and I have to say that Service with RoadRunner cable internet is like a breath of fresh air. I've had the best download speeds, outstanding customer support both on the sales and technical sides. And you can't beat the fact that it's always on and NO dial-up software is required. I've formatted my hard drive twice since I've had the service and with 2 different operating systems the setup process is still simple enough that it takes about 3 minutes and you're ready to fly. I know there have been times that my downstream has slowed but no matter what speed I get, high or low, it's far better than anything that I've ever received from my old DSL service. I run ZoneAlarm under Windows ME and I've never had any problems with security and/or speed (system and connection). They definetly have my vote. I've already written to the divisional President of my region and my letter has been forwarded to the president of operations for Time Warner Communications.

Comments:

Review by TheJimmy See Profile

• Location: Atlanta,Fulton,GA
Good "Pretty quick install date set"
Bad "unreliable speeds, security"
Overall "DSL is MUCH better"

Called to have cable modem installed. I frequently to tests of broadband services.
No wait on the phone, rep was nice, but gave almost no details of what the service consisted of. Gave no speed expectations, no services details. Pretty odd.
Installer came about an hour late. (17 days out) He could not load the software on the sys. because of a driver conflict (with the ethernet card). He had no tech support person to call to resolve the issue, so he asked if I knew how to do it. I didn't, so he left. After 3+ hours on hold to reschedule someone to come back out, a supervisor got on the phone and told me it is my responsibility to fix the driver conflict. When I do that "I can call back to reschedule". Gee thanks.

Supervisor contacted me again, and told me to format my hard drive and reload the OS and everything else. I must say, I am not very excited about that prospect.

Got everything up and running. Speeds are average, but not impressive (400/200). I liked my DSL better.

Update Oct 16th

I finally got it up and running, thanks to some helpful insights from DSLR members. Speed is good, about the same as I had with my ADSL. More to come.

Ok...finally done. Speeds average about 10-20% less than my Earthlink DSL....usually around 650K down. Have Norton firewall installed, but hacked twice. Much better than 56K, but I do like DSL better. I am running both to test differences.

member for 14.4 years, 318 visits, last login: 13.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by rev8 See Profile

• Location: Staten Island,Richmond,NY
Good "high speed downloads"
Bad "More users = slower speeds & Low capped uploads"
Overall "So far So Good will keep this review updated"

Called my local cable company they had weren't very knowledgable about the service. Found out the information I needed through dslreports and other sources and signed up. 10 days later I was installed. Tech left without checking speed. Tech support was no help at all. They treat you like you just purchased a computer and can't get it out of the box. I had to find the problem myself. Bad cable coming in to house. I repaired it and all was fine. So far so good. Hope I never have to deal with tech support again. They read out of a book and walk you through stuff most people were already smart enough to try. The news server is slow! If you like to download from the binary groups get a seperate usenet account. I will keep this updated when i log some more up time.

member for 14.8 years, 747 visits, last login: 6.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by CharlesSchwab See Profile

• Location: Overland Park,Johnson,KS
Good "Fastest Broadband Available in Kansas City"
Bad "Still no e-mail"
Overall "Good Service and Great Value"

It took forever to get here, but it is well worth the wait. Road Runner cable speeds slaughter DSL. If it is available, jump on it. It is only $40 a month, and it beat the heck out of any dial up service.