Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by martinstark See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
Good "Ordered at 2:00 pm on Friday, installed at 1:00 pm on Saturday!"
Bad "Got some screwey conflict with OS X"
Overall "Cheaper than my DSL, installed in less than 1 day, no contract."

I am customer number 4476 with Mindspring. Have been with them for over five years. When I recently moved, they said that it would take at least 21 BUSINESS days before they could even place my order for DSL reinstallation with Covad. Needless to say, I have high speed urges that can't wait a freaking month for reinstallation.

Anyhoo, I called Time Warner, placed the order on Friday afternoon and was up and running on Saturday with no installation charge, no contract, no equipment charge and for $10 less than my DSL. So far, download speeds are hovering around 2000 mbit whereas my DSL was approximately 1100-1200 mbit. I have had some TCP/IP problems that appear to be related to the Classic Compatibility Open Transport extension that was installed on my Mac when I put OS X PB on a second drive. Whatever...

Comments:

Review by Time1 See Profile

• Location: Pinellas Park,Pinellas,FL
Good "Fast downloads / Cheap"
Bad "Unstable Latency"
Overall "Good value, good for most uses."

Cable connection
Motorola CyberSurfer Wave modem
2 Dynamic IPs

When I first started the service everything was perfect, speed, latency and an almost static IP due to the low number of users on my area network. But as time has progressed and large numbers of users are now on my area network speed has drastically reduced and latency jumps to over 1000ms except for the early hours of the morning.
Overall not too bad even though I originally got this for online multiplayer gaming that is not enjoyable now due the major amount of lag I now experience.

member for 14.1 years, 17 visits, last login: 13.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by income

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Fast Interface"
Bad "Takes weeks to repair--when/if they show up; for the many extended calls to tech support use headset to avoid neck strain"
Overall "Better than a poor dialup"

The following is based on two years experience, but I'm getting tired of
beta testing their system which is constantly "updated" and paying to do it!
Presales: three stars
Install coord: one star-- two no shows for appointments
Connection Reliability: two and half --average at least one significant
outage or major loss of speed per month with at least 8 hours of effort
on line with their tech support. There are 4 levels of support and I
generally need all of them before they admit to a problem. E-mail has
been OK expect that there has been several events where the "server
malfunctioned" and only some of the mail was delivered or was
unavailable for 4-24 hour increments.
Tech Support: one star --every problem takes min of 4 hours contact and
frequently more than one. When they finally admit to a problem and have
to send someone out for repairs there is at least a week delay. In one
case it was a one week delay with a no show followed by an additional
scheduled visit yet another week later! Tech support is spread to
groups all over the US and is not tightly coordinated. The typical
response is that "you caused the problem" until you demonstrate it's
them. One time they insisted that it had to be microsoft and gave me a
toll number to call them. In fact I demonstrated otherwise by using an
alternate dialup with no problem. Suddenly, a day later their system
started working without any changes on my part... They are currently
having lots of intermittant router problems that precludes access to
some web sites--but only intermittantly...
Services: four stars --they do offer a good connection when it is
working and there is a dial up capability that is OK.
Value: three stars --when it works the speed is wonderful. It's just
that you pay twice; once in cash and the other dealing with their tech
support that doesn't fix things that stay fixed.

(review was emailed from domain mediaone.net)

Comments:

Review by Joe638 See Profile

• Location: Madison,Madison,MS
Good "Speed is addictive."
Bad "Less than interested user support. No complete alternative dial-in for mobile users."
Overall "Good value. I'll keep it."

Download speeds run from a low of about 670kb to a high of over 2000kb. Uploads seem to always test in the 275kb to 350kb. Not a problem for me, but I would like to know why? I definately notice the "slow times" at the 670kb end, but it is not that annoying. This changed the way I look at the internet now, I'll never go back to dial-up for browsing.

I had one call to service for an alternate dial-in connection, but I could only get e-mail and could not send e-mail. The service rep really didn't care why I wanted a dial-up connection. This is a big issue with me since I use a desktop pc (cable connected) and a notebook while traveling. If I were still on Bellsouth I would have the best of both worlds I guess, but Bellsouth doesn't offer DSL in my neighborhood. According to the reviews though sounds like I am better off with RoadRunner.

Time will tell though... about every other week I see another cable truck in the neighborhood installing RoadRunner, I guess the speed will slow down eventually though it hasn't really impacted it yet!

I recommend RoadRunner, If you don't mind some of the above issues. I believe they will actually improve as the technology improves.

Joe

Comments:

Review by DougJrS See Profile

• Location: Overland Park,Johnson,KS
Good "Very Fast, can be used by many PC"
Bad "Connection speed varies (as low as 300 and as high as 2MB)"
Overall "IT ROCKS"

Ordered the roadrunner service on Friday Dec. 15 (last day of free install promo) and the service was hooked up on Saturday Dec. 23. Two installers came to my house and installed a 4-way splitter, replacing my 3-way splitter and ran a line from the basement to the computer. At the computer they hooked up the 3COM cable modem to test connection and then they left me with a self-install kit. I tossed the roadrunner disk and just installed the drivers for the cable modem. Had the cable modem up and working in 5 minutes. Total time from doorbell to surfing 45 minutes.

I have since disconnected the Cable Modem from the computer and moved it to the basement where I have a Linksys DSL/CABLE router and an 8 port 10/100 workgroup hub. Plugged the Cable Modem into the WAN on the router and then from the router into port 2(no there was no reason for port 2 it could have been any of the ports) on the hub. I then connected all five of the computer to the hub and BAM! The Internet is here for us all. The linksys Router was very easy to use I don't have to do any conf. on it at all to get it to work.

The only problem I am having is that I did finally install to RR software, but I have not yet been able to get it to work. The splash screen opens and then it just sits there till I hit Ctrl - Alt - Del and kill the "Not Responding" program. I know that there are some problem getting it to work behind the Linksys Router, but the RR install program easily connected to The RR network and set up my account. It was only after I rebooted the computer the RR account manger doesn't work. After rebooting I had the same IP as before so that is not the problem and I have released to IP and the prog. Still doesn't work. Any ideas????

Bottom line IT ROCK!

member for 14.1 years, 42 visits, last login: 12.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by crzy baldhead See Profile

• Location: Playa Del Rey,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Fast, competent service"
Bad "Wasn't clear about setting up email"
Overall "FAST connection, good service, good value"

Let me acknowledge and right off the bat that I'm not a sophisticated user. Old PC (400Mh, 128, WIN98) but it runs what I need. I basically want broadband Web access for home use, hoping to at some point in the future cable the house for multiple access.

For about four years I've had some form of phone modem access, the last two years with a 56 K modem on a dedicated phone line that seemed to run pretty fast when I first got it. At work I have a supposedly fast line for the last several months, obviously began to notice that the phone modem was not cutting it.

So I did some research on DSL and cable. I almost ruled out cable to begin with, since I had a bad experience with my cable provider (then Media One, now Roadrunner) relating to cable TV service -- several months of marginal reception and they kept forgetting to fix it -- but finally they did and credited me with five months free service to make up for the hassle. In researching I decided that the Roadrunner service and reliability looked pretty good and figured I could always go to DSL later if it didn't work out. Reading about DSL horror stories and apparently the backed-up state of local installation requests I figured I'd get cable installed faster. In my area Roadrunner currently offers service at $39.95 per month with free installation and 10 bucks off the first three months. I am also being billed 50 bucks for the network card, spread out over the first few months.

Basically I am quite pleased. The install was done a week from my first call to the company. The service technician impressed me, not because he was necessarily a technical genius (neither am I, and he seemed quite comfortable on the PC), but because he handled such a large variety of tasks very competently. My install took about 2 1/2 hours. Part of the difficulty had to do with the fact that I thought I could run the cable under the house splitting it from where the TV cable enters, but that proved impossible -- the crawl space doesn't go under the entire house. I needed a clean unobtrusive run of the cable to preserve domestic tranquility. Plan B involved fastening the cable to the underside of the stucco wall around the outside of the house, about a 30-40 foot run, then diving through a vent into the crawl space under the house and bringing it up through the floor to the interior room where the main PC sits.

Anyway, the service Tech first installed the network card (if I had this to do over, I'd probably buy and install it myself in advance). Then he put on a toolbelt and climbed up the pole to make adjustments to the service. Then he took up hand tools and installed the cable, including the process of climbing under the crawl space of the house, not a fun job under the best circumstances. He installed the modem and connected to the PC, did the configuration and everything worked perfectly. I have not yet run any speed tests on the line but my home cable blows away the speeds I get at work on what is supposedly a high-speed system. However, the tech was by then in a hurry as it was dark and he had promised to revisit a no-show customer from the morning, and he left without getting email sorted out. No big problem, we sorted it out the next day over the phone.

Meanwhile, I've cancelled a phone line and Earthlink and I'm saving money while getting immensely faster service.

Comments:

Review by mwf See Profile

• Location: Salisbury,Rowan,NC
Good "Incredible speed."
Bad "None."
Overall "Lots better than ISDN, Roadrunner saves me about $100 month"

I looked into Roadrunner and saw that they would be available in early 2001. I registered with the web site figuring to use it as a back up to the 2 IDSL lines that I was going to install to run ftp servers. I found out in October that the first of the lines had been failed by Covad because I was 300 feet too far. I called the other ISP that was putting in a Covad line and told them that the first line had failed. They assured me that they could get the line installed. (everybody who believes that stand on their head) Meanwhile I had set up a dedicated server with skynetwed in maryland being resigned to 128k for life. Now for the happy part. I got a call in the middle of October from the cable company. They told me that they had looked up my address and that I was not in their service area. Since I have one of their cable stubs in my front yard I politely disagreed and have them directions to my house. The next morning someone came and measured for a cable run since we don't subscribe to cable. (directv) The office called me back that night and set up an appointment for about two weeks out. The installers showed up 2 hours early, not a problem, ran 300 feet of cable across my lawn and said that it might not work because their meter was showing a -3 (whatever). They installed it anyway and when they pinged to their server it came back at about 30 ms. They plugged in the modem and could not get it to connect. As they went out to get another modem to try, the one they had installed finally figured it out and went live. I plugged it into the Linksys router and was able to tell them its IP. I was a "self install" but they wanted to make sure it was working. Anyway, during the day it runs 1800 plus on the DSLreports speed test, in the eveing it slows down, but has never come back less than 700. If there is a problem the tech support web site knows about it before I do. All in all highly satisfied.

member for 14.2 years, 5850 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Defender 1 See Profile

• Location: Malden,Middlesex,MA
Good "Connection is great. Nice and stable."
Bad "The installation employee seemed to have no experience using a PC whatsoever. Need help navigating windows."
Overall "Nice service, but keep an eye on your installer."

This cable service is a greap leap from modem madness. The person who installed my service and hardware seemed comepletely inexperienced in using a computer. But, after I answered a few menial questions the hardware was installed, and the service was up and running in about an hour. The connection is good and stable. Overall I'd recommend this service to someone.

member for 14.1 years, 23 visits, last login: 11.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by donlaprad See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC

I have had Road Runner since beta. No problems til August. They found

bad feeder lines to the tap. I was having big problems and they said

they would have to replace feeders to correct the problem. They have sent crews out to replace the modem and they didnt know ho to put in a Toshiba modem. To run a separate cable line to the modem that was never done. I have not heard from anyone from Time Warner for 3 month's about this issue.Last I heard I was on the construction list.

Comments:

Review by Tanhausergate See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "No contract, low cost, easy install"
Bad "Tech support"
Overall "Acceptable"

Specs:
Modem: Toshiba PCX 1000
Monthly rate: $30.00 includes modem ($5./mo rental fee)
Install required two technician: one from Time Warner (to split the existing
cable and pull wire), one from their contractor to change the system IP
Install price $80.00
They call it a Dynamic IP however, it changes every 24 or more hours

Experience:

I've had their service since November of '99 and the service has been
generally satisfactory, i.e. downstream/upstream speeds (average: 1543/227 kbps)
however...
I was hacked into by another Roadrunner user before I knew about BlackIce and
Zone Alarm. A professional security audit validated this attack and despite that
information Time Warner corporate security indicated there system could not been
penetrated. Since there system uses dynamic IP's (changes once every 24hrs)

Why don't they inform their customers about software firewalls, they
indicated that they did not endorse specific software. This is nonsense as
they endorse parental blocking software on their site.

»www.rr.com/rros2/ms/0,2023,92__3 ··· ,00.html

Also, they do not provide information on proper registry settings tuning as
this site does.

»/tweaks/Window ··· /Windows

Bottom line: the service delivers basic line speed however, I know not to
expect much assistance from this provider.