Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by kennethchalk See Profile

• Location: Fort Bragg,Cumberland,NC
Good "It is fast as hell!"

I just signed up with Road Runner Cable Accses. It's been a smooth
ride. Instalation was quick and hassle-free. It is fast as hell!

I wish my previous experiance with Sprint-DSL was as smooth. They
couldn't esablish service, yet they posted a charge to my phone bill for
a $199.00 modem that was suposed to be free. To top it all off they are
still sending me a bill for monthly service.

K.C. Chalk

Comments:

Review by jtatanus See Profile

• Location: Webster,Monroe,NY
Good "speed"
Bad "lack of service sometimes"
Overall "good"

Roadrunner is the best service that I have had. Of course, the only ISP I
have had before that is AOL and a small local company. Before install, we
were notified that for the $50 do-it-yourself install we would get the cable
into our house, and be given the ethernet card, but we would need to put the
card in ourselves. When the installer came, he hadn't heard anything about
this free card thing. We called our local RR HeadQueaters (Rochester, NY)
and they instructed the installer to find a PC Installer and get a card to
give us. Ok, so that turned out OK. Well, the installer ran the new cable
in, and he left it above the ground and said somebody would come soon with a
tool to put the cable into the ground. The person didn't show up for a
week, and I couldn't mow my lawn because of this cable running across it, so
we called. The person came the next day. The only problems with service I
have had are infrequent "no cable light lit" experiences, and on 6/19/00, I
tried to get onto Amazon.com to order a Handspring Visor (I had finally
saved up enough money) and no connection to any site. Called the tech
number and they had a message saying "we are currently experiencing a
problem with road runner in all areas". The odd thing was my neighbors had
a connection, and that tech number is the same number you call to order the
service. With some of my problems, though, when I called the Techs sounded
very stupid and gave advice that I had already tried.

Comments:

Review by drack1 See Profile

• Location: Fairfax,Fairfax City,VA
Good "No wait tech support, Better than Verizon in everyway"
Overall "Even though not absolutely perfect, it's absolutely better than Verizon"

After going through the typical Verizon horror stories, I switched to RoadRunner. The first week was great. Double the speed of Verizon at the same price!

Well, on the second week RoadRunner was not syncing. So, I called tech support and got through in less than 5 minutes. You won't believe this, but unlike Verizon, they told me that they would schedule an installer to come out AND without my asking, the tech credited my account for $20.00!

The installer has been out and fixed a loose connection in less than 15 minutes. Now, if I were still with Hellrizon, I would still be waiting to talk to a Level 1 tech who would have asked me to disconnect the modem, reboot the computer, reconnect the modem, and tell me that they're not sure what the problem is but they're working on it and falsely promise to call me back in a couple of days, weeks, years, decades .....

Even though I had this minor problem with RoadRunner the bad service and short term connection with Verizon has made me appreciate RoadRunner's great technical support and service.

member for 13.5 years, 132 visits, last login: 10.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by guenna See Profile

• Location: Spring Hill,Hernando,FL
Good "SPEED-SPEED-SPEED***RELIABILITY"
Overall "They are the best. Always on & very fast.I would recommend them in a nanosecond."

The installation techs knew just what they were doing & got things up & running in no time. Only 1 outage to speak of and RR got on it right away to replace faulty equipment. I have a dynamic IP & Docsis modems in my area.

Comments:

Review by twtaylor See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
Good "extremely fast"
Bad "customer service is clueless"
Overall "best value for money in my area"

After a year of ISDN service at around $70.00/month for the phone lines and another $25.00 per month for an ISP, I decided to jump to RR through Time-Warner when became available to me here in Houston, TX. The price is $45.00/mo without cable TV. The sales rep was helpful and courteous, and the installer came promptly on the appointed day. Installation was easy. As soon as the installer left, I started having problems. I could not keep a connection for more than a minute. After an hour on the phone with T-W Customer Svc, it was decided that I should have another modem since they did not have the software to evaluate the Terayon modem that was installed. This was on a Friday. I could have waited and they would have brought out another modem, or I could come get it myself that same day. I went to their location and got a Toshiba PCX100. Came home installed it, and have never (in almost 4 months) of constant usage ever had another problem. I have a small home network of three computers and use a D-Link DI-701 gateway/firewall attached to a 3Com OfficeConnect Hub. 1.5 to 3 Mbps downloads. Page loads are practically instantaneous. I have seen many horror stories, but my setup is terrific. Couldn't be more pleased. After using the tweaks on dslreports.com, my download speeds tripled based on various tests.

Comments:

Review by snowshoehare See Profile

• Location: Shawnee,Johnson,KS
Good "Speed and connection"
Bad "News Server"
Overall "Good Product"

Install went great. I had them run a new cable from the pole all the way to my modem. So far the only loss of signal was when the power went out and once when Time Warner upgraded the amplifiers in my neighborhood. When first connected my speeds were around 790kbps, now that more people are on in my area I am getting closer to 2400kbps. They whole notion of slow down is crazy. I was told that as more people got on that Time Warner would increase its available bandwidth, and they are keeping true to their word. After talking to the local fibre tech for TWC I feel confident that these speeds will continue. They have 4 "dark" fibers and can increase the current fiber by 5X. I think that this will only get better.

member for 13.6 years, 10 visits, last login: 13.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by mlman See Profile

• Location: Ontario,Wayne,NY
Good "steady reliable connection"
Bad "slow restoring service when it does go down"
Overall "excellent value. I highly recommend it"

The worst part about the install was having to wait an extra week for a Sat. install. The techs showed up 30 minutes early (omigod!). There were 2 installers, one for the PC and a line tech. The line tech ran a second line into my house and took readings while the PC tech installed my NIC card. My computer didn't like the standard NIC card, so I was upgraded for free (it took an extra 20 minutes for the tech to realize this) to a PCI card. Outages are rare, but they have a tendancy to be doozies (average 36 hours to fix, thank god only 3 outages in the last year). Time Warner performed a CO upgrade to our network 3 months ago, and my speeds are consistant around DS1. I won't trade it for DSL if it ever becomes available in my area.

TW uses Motorola cable modems, I don't know what model with dynamic IP. I now have a nice little network going with a D-Link 704 gateway.

Comments:

Review by billybob53 See Profile

• Location: Alpharetta,Fulton,GA
Good "Pre-sales guy was good, responsive, helpful and knew his stuff"
Bad "Installation coordination was horrible, connection was unreliable, can't ever get through on phone."
Overall "Unreliable connection with unavailable customer service. I cancelled it."

Roadrunner installation was promised in 3 weeks when I signed up. When the time came, the installer never showed up. I had taken a day off from work to be there. When I called, they re-scheduled for 5 weeks out with no apology. They didn't seem to care. I hit the roof and they managed to get someone in a week. Installer was good, efficient. Had the cable modem running in an hour. It worked great for a day then everything fell apart.

A second crew came to bury cable that the first person installed and apparently cut it. Service became unreliable. Called and second installer came, discovered what he thought was a bad cable and replaced it. Didn't fix the problem. Service was unreliable and erratic. Was often very slow, sometimes good. Best dl speeds were about 500k. Typical was more like 200k when it was working at all. Lost service completely for hours at a time, once for two days.

Sometime during all of this AT&T took over. Despite these startup problems, at least people answered the phone befire AT&T, but no more. Wait times for customer support soared. I spent 2.5 HOURS on hold once before hanging up. I cancelled the service by Email and letter with no response after giving up by telephone. The bill came and I didn't pay it, sent another letter instead.

Finally got through by telephone about a month after cancelling and they claimed no record of anything. Cancelled again by phone. It looks like the AT&T buyout sent them down the tubes. I switched to Mindspring DSL and have been very happy with much better reliability, service and speeds.

Comments:

Review by liquidity See Profile

• Location: Flushing,Queens,NY
Good "much faster than dsl, great support"
Bad "connection freezes occasionally"
Overall "best deal for your money at this time"

i live in new york and when originally looking for a broadband connection set out to find a dsl provider. after find that, due to the mostly random methods providers use to see if you're "within range" for adsl, it was not as easy and quick as i thought it would be. i was looking for the most common 608/128 ADSL connection and finally found a good company that said i was within the distance limitations. i thought i was set and prepared to experience the web closer to how it was intended, but instead i just got entangled in a different kind of web. since the dsl provider had to subcontract with covad, who in turn had to subcontract with bell atlantic (never good), who i didn't even use for local service anymore, the whole process got delayed so much that i ended up having to call support every day to try and move things along. the wait went from two weeks to three weeks to two months and still no end. unfortunately, from what i read of others, this is not an uncommon situation when it comes to the dsl install process.

after almost two months of waiting i found out that my cable service (time-warner) offers a cable modem service as well. so i decided to cancel my dsl order since it did not seem to be going anywhere and, instead, give cable a spin. i called time-warner and they set me up with an install date 8 days from when i called. they gave the technicians a two hour window for that date and if they did not keep their appointment on time i got a free month of cable modem service (very nice support). sure enough, they kept their appointment just as they said they would and 8 days later i had a cable modem up and running. this alone seemed to be worth it to get cable over dsl - great support, fast service.

but i was still not so keen on sharing my bandwidth. i was going to get dsl with a static ip, which meant no one would share any of my bandwidth or ip address. cable, on the other hand, had neither of these features. i hooked up cable under the premonition that it might get agravatingly slow at peek times. what i soon learnt was that, although it does slow down during peek hours, it is ALWAYS faster than the adsl connection i was first seeking. the dsl connection i wanted would have allowed me to download at around 30Kbps-60Kbps, not bad, but not great either. i live in queens, NY which is a pretty densly populated area, many people with cable television service. my cable modem downloads at a consistent rate of between 100Kbps and 300Kbps no matter what time of day. off peak i get around 240Kbps and can get burst rates of up to a meg a second on the download. the bottom line is that no matter how many people might happen to be on at any given point of the day, cable modems (for me at least) will always be at least 2-3 times the speed of a dsl connection. i do not know how cable speeds or dsl prices will change over time, but now that cable is consistently faster AND cheaper than dsl, i would say that you best bet would definately be to go with cable if available.

member for 13.4 years, 19 visits, last login: 12.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by Grizwald54 See Profile

• Location: Franklin,Norfolk,MA
Good "Decent speed, good reliability, great customer service."
Bad "Slows down a bit at peak hours."
Overall "This technology has been mastered - take advantage of it."

At the beginning of August, I had ordered SDSL service through Phoenix Networks. What a mistake! I was impressed at first by their pre-sales information, but once they got my order, all that changed. After about 4-5 weeks, I started calling to get status checks and see how things were progressing. They scheduled my outside wiring with me for the end of week 8 and the Verizon techs missed 3 appointments. I was NOT happy. The customer service people were extremely rude - one even refused to let me speak with her supervisor - and hold times were ridiculous. So on October 12, I ordered RoadRunner through AT&T Broadband (formerly MediaOne). My sales rep, Frank, was very knowledgable and set me up for an install on November 14. Well, on November 23, Frank called me and told me that he had a cancellation for the next day and wanted to know if I would be able to be around for an install. Of course I said YES!!! Everything went well. The only little hitch was my fault because I live in a condominium complex and my utility closet has the cable junction box for the entire building. The contractor that came for the install was on time and very polite, but he did not have a key to open the cable box in the utility closet. AT&T came back the next evening to open the box and remove the filter and within 60 seconds, I was online! What a difference. Their customer service reps have been extremely polite and helpful. Thanks AT&T.

Service is fairly inexpensive, too. Since I'm an AT&T cable customer, my service would have been $39.95 per month with the rented cable modem. But Circuit City has been offering the Toshiba cable modem for $250 and a $100 rebate. So I bought the modem and my service now only costs $29.95 per month.

member for 13.6 years, 345 visits, last login: 9.3 years ago