Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by da_insider See Profile

• Location: Leawood,Johnson,KS
Good "Always up!"
Bad "Bad Tech Support!"
Overall "The service is good, but could be better for the price."

The only problem I encountered was with Sales. Those people will say anything to get you to sign up for service. I made inquiries about support for Linux and they reply with a cheerful YES! When I called Tech Support for some assistance, they say..."sorry, but we can't help you! We don't support Linux." Other than that tid-bit the service kicks-ass! And the best part about it, I don't need there support when I'm running Linux.

Comments:

Review by nemmy7 See Profile

• Location: New Berlin,Waukesha,WI
Good "Fast connection, painless installation."
Bad "Poor communication pre-sale."
Overall "Great price, great performance, thumbs up."

Roadrunner sent me an email at the end of November alerting me that service was now availible in my area. I responded to the email immediately, but did not recieve a call back for almost two weeks. Roadrunner called me on 12/7/00, and I schedualed an installation date for the 26th of December. I recieved free installation, 1 month free, and free lease of the cable modem at 39.99 a month. The following day, they called me back and said they would not be able to make the install date, and asked when I would like to schedual a new one. I said as soon as possible. They schedualed my install date for the next day. This left me confused but happy, I don't know why they schedualed me for the 26th when they could come so early.

My schedualed install time was from 8am to 12pm. The installer showed up at 11:30am. It took him about an hour to splice the cable, run the new line, and go through the basics of the service. Just be sure to tell the installer where to drill any holes (if needed).

The cable modem is just simply a bridge between ethernet and the cable line. It doesn't have any features other than connecting you.

IPs are assigned via DHCP, and as long as you keep your computer online except to reboot, your IP probably wont change.

Except for the poor communication before the sale, and the installation date question, it was a quick and pleasureable experience.

Comments:

Review by outlookhazy See Profile

• Location: Clifton Park,Saratoga,NY
Good "Always fast enough. Sometimes faster."
Bad "USB Ethernet adapter, lazy installers"
Overall "Cheap and fast, the way I like em."

The installer used a lame usb ethernet adapter even though I already had one installed. The brochure said that if there was no cable outlet near the computer, they would install one. Instead, this tech ran a cable from the main outlet 25 feet away across the baseboards. I have heard that this can cause a slower connection. I usually get around 2600 - 3100 Kbps. They did not tell me what speed it would be.

Faster than DSL almost always. Cheaper than even the slowest and crappiest DSL.

Roadrunner [used to have] their own Quake 3, UT, and Counter-Strike servers that give you an excellent ping. Pings at other servers are usually pretty good. But I think DSL pings are better.

The IP address changes about weekly.

Comments:

Review by RShadow See Profile

• Location: Columbia,Richland,SC
Good "Well certainly better than 56k...."
Bad "Install tech didn't know what he was doing"
Overall "It's a step up...."

Lemme tell you this from the begining: Ordered TW RoadRunner out of SC. A few calls were exchanged, but ultimately it took the install tech to "fit us in his busy schedule". When he did arrive, he was abit taken back by the setup: a huge server tower case, seperate phone line for the modems, daisy-chained US Robotics Courier V Everything 56k modems (2 of them), fax machine, two UPS', network laser printer, 20 inch monitor, but the biggest stumbling block of all, Windows NT.

The guy sits down, takes about 5 minutes trying to figure out how to open up the case, without asking me first, but when he finally does he sticks in a crappy Ovislink NIC. Then he hooked in what resembled CAT5 cable, but wasn't, it was (purposely) missing several wires from the connector. Then he hooked up the actual modem (Toshiba), which was the only hardware that he install that I had no problem with. Then he boots up NT and here is the following conversation:

"Windows NT?! Oh god, why do you have to use Windows NT?"

"Well it's a networking OS and has stronger security than anything in the 9x series."

"God, I hate NT, I wish you had Windows 98 instead, it's much easier for me."

**Few minutes later**

"God, I don't even now where to start in this thing..."

**Picks up his radio**

"Yeah, (Boss Guy), you there?"

"Yeah."

"We got an NT user on our hands."

"Oh no, give me the address and I'll be out there shortly."

**Fifty minutes later**

"See (Boss Guy), I don't even now where to start."

"Alright move aside... Hmmm... can't even resolve the IP and I set the gateway right, turned off Win DNS. I don't know. Ummm."

**Thirty MORE minutes later**

"Sir, I'm going to have to suggest you format and reinstall an OS, perferably Windows 98, it's much easier."

So then I finally sit down, determined to not format the drive, find out that they "accidently" in Services, disabled the DHCP client. I flicked it on, rebooted, and presto, internet access. Then I threw the Ovislink NIC as far as I could, installed a 3com NIC and replaced the cable with REAL CAT5 cable.

But it didn't stop there, I noticed decreased performance about five weeks later. So I called Tech Support, something that rarely occurs in my household. It took about three attempts just to get successfully transferred to the Tech Support department (2 disconnects and 1 wait that lasted 10 minutes too long). I finally reach the receptionist at the Tech Support department and she switches me over to one of the tech support people, BUT I get a busy signal. I call again, this time using a direct number to the TS department, and ask why I got transferred to a busy signal. She goes away from the phone and returns about three minutes later with this:

"I'm sorry sir, but all three of our tech support personnel are currently online."

"Excuse me? If their online, their phone lines should be clear."

"I'm sorry, they use dial-up access."

Hmmm, tech support that doesn't trust their own company's ability in broadband technologies certainly scares me. Well I finally did get a guy to come out to my house to check the line, the signal was low, the result of a bad cable splitter which was replaced.

Beyond that, and the normal slow down during the evening, everything is fine... I hope.

~Revolution Shadow~

member for 14.2 years, 10 visits, last login: 13.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by zyggy See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Fast installation, fast DL"
Bad "None yet"
Overall "Happy"

Just got Road Runner installed from TW NYC. Had Phoenixdsl and besides all the service problems in NYC with Verizon/Northpoint/Phoenix, I thought it was time to change my cable service. The Time Warner current deal is $99 for digital cable with 200+ stations including 4 multiple premiums and RoadRunner. Took 8 days from my call to Time Warner to install. The Time Warner guy and the Road Runner guy both showed up at the same time.

The Road Runner install was direct to my computers NIC and as soon as the install guys left I plugged in the cable modem to my LinkSys router and with one setup change the network and DCHP was up and running.

Speed test shows 1800+ DL and 240+ upload.

Comments:

Review by iconnary See Profile

• Location: Atlanta,Fulton,GA
Good "Decent throughput, easy to snarf additional IP addresses"
Bad "Crap latency (300ms to backbone), Crap DNS"
Overall "For the technically retarded and indifferent, its a great deal!!"

Overview: Cable modem service, DHCP issued addresses, no PPOE, Toshiba/3Com cable modems (CoAx in,Ethernet out), overall a BAD experience.

While MediaOne RoadRunner (now AT&T Broadband) usually gives decent throughput (sometimes up to 300Kbyte/Sec), one has to put up with so much other crap that it hardly becomes worth it. For instance...

DNS - I have NEVER had a reverse DNS entry for my MediaOne IP. While this may not be an issue for most, it certainly has been for me (30 second timeout connecting to anything that requires a reverse DNS lookup). I have called them at least 8 times over a period of 6 months (min. 2 hour call each time), have gotten a promise of resolution each time, and low and behold, it was never taken care of. Every other MediaOne network seems to have reverse DNS entries, but not mine...

Latency - A traceroute shows a persistent 250-300ms hop on the Mediaone backbone. I have griped about this too, been made countless promises, and never received any form of resolution/response.

To their credit, MediaOne does make it very easy for one to steal their IP addresses. Officially you're only allocated a single address (or for more $$, up to 3), but with proxy ARP and a static NAT kernel patch on your linux box, theres no limit (Disclaimer - I'm not condoning nor encouraging this type of activity in any way)

All in all, I'm done with these guys, their support is pathetic - while some of them try hard, none of them seem capable of bringing resolution my problems. And when you finally get an opportunity to speak with someone who knows their stuff technically, they are usually unforgivably arrogant. DON'T GO HERE!!

Comments:

Review by brndg See Profile

• Location: Chelmsford,Middlesex,MA
Good "Pricing, speed, installation"
Bad "Because of the mac address you can't change equipment without a service charge"
Overall "Cables slowest speed is twice as fast as Verizon DSL"

After 90 days of tyring to get Verizon DSL installed and working, I gave up and went with AT&T Road Runner (formerly known as MediaOne.)

The installation was done two days after I placed the order. AT&T's contractors dropped a new line to the house and to the room where my computer is kept.
Daytime speed is around 1500 / 280. Nightime speed is around 1400 / 250.
Install was completed in under 90 minutes (including the new cable line.)

I've had to call Tech Support twice over the last 30 days. Once for user error and once to have them enter in the mac address for the Toshiba modem. They charged me $12.00 to change the modem over :-(
Both calls to support were answered in under 3 minutes time.

Having AT&T Broadband is a pleasant change from Verizon and their nightly speed drops.

Comments:

Review by Terribleted See Profile

• Location: Snellville,Gwinnett,GA
Good "sounds good on paper"
Bad "evreything :sporadic, slow, very packet lossy . was good for first 3 months. last 8 months have been lousy."
Overall "if u can get dsl here in atlanta ne way buy it instead. even slow dsl better than this"

Got then Media One roadrunner in early Feb 2000. Ran great for first 2 months or so. Speeds approaching 3 mbps sometimes. Then as they added customers I assume they added no capacity and everything slowed to a crawl. They added some Servers in April "so they told me" and things improved for a month or so. Its been all downhill since then. I have called Now ATT customer no-service at least 8 times since August. Each call has taken over 2 hours mostly on hold or listening to customer service reps search through pages of manuals to answer rudimentary questions. They have made 2 work orders to check my system and my line. Their technicians say it is a system problem but no one is apparently interested in supplying the service I was promised. Unfortunately dsl is not available to me here as I am too far from central office. If even slow 144kbps dsl was available to me I would drop roadrunner like a a hot potatoe. We like to game but connection is so uneven and lossy that it is usually unusable for that purpose. Slow and consistent is what i would expect from slow dsl, slow kind of stinks but the packet loss and inconsistency of ATT Roadrunner worse than stinks. Try playing capture the flag with enemy and flag carriers appearing and disappearing right in front of your face, very difficult. Suicide is really easy when the screen catches up and jerks 90 degrees as you shoot rockets into it and blow yourself up. ATT can kiss my hiney.

member for 13.9 years, 102 visits, last login: 11.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by ctreadwe

• Location: Troy,Rensselaer,NY
Good "Great speed!"
Bad "You had to "unlock" the speed,outages a little frequent"
Overall "Want some serious speed,get Roadrunner!"

I hated being on a 56k so I finally ordered Roadrunner.At the day of
arrival they came promptly at the scheduled time.After about 30mins i
was told that they needed to upgrade my cable wire.They did that
quick.Then they booted up my machine and set some configuration changes
and boom! There it was!At the first speed test i was a tad dissapointed
Down:400Kbps
Up:350Kbps
So i tried fiddling with it and at that time i didnt know anything about
cable and it slowed to a 56k.Next day they sent someone over.Fixed and
back to 400Kbps.
Then i tried a patch and it shot up to
Down:1700Kbps
Up:350Kbps
I tried another patch Boom!
Down:3000Kbps
Up:250-500Kbps
Ive had it for bout 3 months and i love it!

(review was emailed from domain nycap.rr.com)

Comments:

Review by mcfine3 See Profile

• Location: Austin,Travis,TX
Good "Can be very fast when working. Pretty decent pings for gaming."
Bad "Line problems, goes off every now and then, waiting for days for problem to be fixed."
Overall "Great when working but not too reliable."

I live in a pretty populated area and DSL was not available so cable was my only choice. With cable in Austin you get faster speeds but lower guaranteed speeds than DSL. Installation was quick and they provided the modem. Very fast. Great for online gaming which is 50% of the reason I got cable. So it seemed like in my position cable was the better choice.

However... I ordered cable because I live in an appartment that has T1 ehternet included in the rent. Problem is theres 600+ ppl living here. Incredibly slow at peak times, very inconsistent and getting cable would be like paying twice for internet access. It was too bad so I ordered cable and I still get the same problems.

As a student dropping $45 a month is a pain but would be worth it if I got good service. This is my 3rd week with RoadRunner and I have had one complete outage for a little while, once in a while it slows down, I do line tests and there are problems with routers. Today I have been getting download speeds that my 28.8k modem could put to shame (1.2KB/sec!!!). Its bliss when its working but 3 problems in the space of just over 2 weeks is not very reliable. Called sutomer service and I am still waiting for a response or fix. Called again and they tell me that the guys that look at the trace info won't be coming in until tomorrow.

If I pay money for something I expect it to work all the time cause companies never ask for less money when its time to pay the bill. Once in a while is acceptable but 3 times in 2 weeks is too much.

member for 13.9 years, 21 visits, last login: 13.2 years ago