Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by jwollen See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
Good "2 days to install; great speed/ no down time;Tech Support easy to reach and knowledgable"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Good Value; Great Speed; Good Tech Support - Can't ask for better"

I did a lot of research before choosing Roadrunner and it really paid off. For $39.95 per month with free installation and no contract, I find it a good value. So far I've had no downtime. My speed has been between 986 and 1300 bps. I was connected in 2 days. It would have been 1 if I could have been home. The installation technician was very personable and knew what he was doing.

My primary email is through MSN and I had an issue where I could not send or receive without using my dial up modem. An email to Roadrunner about the problem resulted in them calling me the next day. We walked through the proper set up and I'm now up and running. You can't ask for anything better.

I highly recommend giving it a try.

Comments:

Review by npinedas See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Good speed even during peak times.."
Bad "So far none/"
Overall "awesome service.. good price.constant speed."

i have 2 months with att road runner(formerly media one) the speed have been excellent and constant even during peak hours. I usually gets 1478/269 all the time. I had yet to experienced an outage. I will recommend it to anyone. and by the way i paid 60 bucks with cable included. the only negative thing that i have to say is that it took almost 2 weeks to get road runner. the tech never came to my house on the day of the appointment and he even hook me up my network.

member for 13.9 years, 1565 visits, last login: 7.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by Papuga See Profile

• Location: Jackson Heights,Queens,NY
Good "Smooth Installation, On-Time Appointment,Worked immediatly, Blows Flashcom's DSL Out of the water"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "If you have it in your area, it's a great alternative to DSL."

I had Flashcom's DSL for a little over one year, and never really experienced any significant downtime, however, with all the talk of Flashcom's trouble, I figured it was time to "get the ducks in a row" and get an alternative provider, as there was no way I was going back to that dial up crap. I called Time Warner Cable of New York on Friday Morning, requested service, and it was installed on Saturday afternoon. Yes, the very next day! By the time the "software" technician arrived, I had it up and running, and all he did was have me sign that the job was complete. My down speed is consistantly between 1.15 mbps to 2.0 mbps and the up speed is around 350. By contrast my flashcom line was only 640/384 (When I actually got that speed) Now, downloads are at around 220-250 KBps on IE5.5

In all fairness to Flashcom, my circuit was good, and dependable, but I am only 2150 wire feet from the CO (Verizon) and at that distance, any offering of DSL will work without trouble. When I originally ordered the line last year, I contracted for 384/128 and requested an upgrade to 768/384. It took well over 4 months to increase the speed, with numerous calls to customer service, and finally an email to the president stating that if my speed was not increased, I was gone. In the end, since they are having all the problems, I out of there, and glad I am. Their [Flashcom's] Customer service is the worst that I have ever seen. Hours on the phone to resolve even minor issues, and then it often taks multiple calls to get someone that has a clue of what to do. I will post my business experince with Flashcom shortly (Quite a loooooong story)

**December 13 Update **

Had some speed issues over the past week, it began running so slow that dial up was faster. Complained to TWC, three times, finally got a tech that knew something about computers, and they sent a tech to the house. Turned out that the original installer wired the drop wrong. They placed a splitter off of an alread split cable, and signal to noise ratio was too high. Fixed the wire, then sent the field manager to verify serice. Speed now is consistantly 30 to 40 times that of a 56K. I certainly did not expect this kind of response, much less a field manager to come out to see if it was running well. Definitly still beats Flushcom.

*December 15 2000*

TWC tech came yesterday, took one look at the installation and said it was totally wrong. The installed ran the drop off of an already split line. He re-ran the line, and then said that the field manager would be over in one hour to check out the system.

The field manager came as promised within the hour, brought a new modem, and a fluke signal tester, spent about 3 hours testing the installation, and found that there was still a signal issue in the building, as well as a problem with a local router at RR. Went to the communications closet in the building, was there about 1/2 hour, then came back and said that RR was working on the router issue, but my signal issue was fixed. To make a long story short, he gave me the phone number to the data center in Woodside, and told me to call later that night to see if everything was resolved. Which I did, and found out that there was indeed a local router problem, and it was repaired.

I have been running speed tests every hour or so, and speed has been consistant to both east and west cost servers, around 1.6 to 2.2 mbps. I have hit as high as 2.6 mbps to the east cost, but I suspect that it is not too far away from here.

I certainly did not expect this type of response from a broadband company, especially after all the trouble I have had with flushcom, both at home and in myoffice. I strongly recommend them. ( I just hope that AOHell does not screw up a good thing )

Comments:

Review by tlpetry See Profile

• Location: Oak Creek,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Great speeds with up to 1.8mbps down and 356kbps up!"
Bad "Installer was in a big hurry, but being tech savvy I made my way through afterwards. They need to know DSLReports!"
Overall "Highly recommend at least in this area! Got free install and USB Nic adapter!"

They installed brand new 3Com Cable modem and a 3Com HomeConnect USB adapter and left me in about 30 minutes up on line. Although initial speeds were limited to about 150kbps, I found that my HP Pavilion registry settings in Win98 SE were way low. After I found DSLReports.com and went through the diagnostic testing, made few recommended tweaks, I have been online at 1.3 - 1.8Mbps downloads and 350+kbps uploads. Awesome!

Price is 39.99 with standard tier cable, 49.99 with basic or no cable service, with no time commitments.

member for 13.9 years, 35 visits, last login: 11.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by dslisbad See Profile

• Location: Herndon,Fairfax,VA
Good "Sooo Much Better than DSL!!!"
Bad "Tech support is lacking, but you hardly ever need them!"
Overall "Drop Verizon DSL and go with Road Runner!"

I have used Verizon DSL for over 1 year. I don't think that I have ever had more than 1 month without service interruptions (that typically last several days). Road runner is always up and can't be beat. Drop Verizon now and try Road Runner.

member for 13.9 years, 10 visits, last login: 13.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by da_insider See Profile

• Location: Leawood,Johnson,KS
Good "Always up!"
Bad "Bad Tech Support!"
Overall "The service is good, but could be better for the price."

The only problem I encountered was with Sales. Those people will say anything to get you to sign up for service. I made inquiries about support for Linux and they reply with a cheerful YES! When I called Tech Support for some assistance, they say..."sorry, but we can't help you! We don't support Linux." Other than that tid-bit the service kicks-ass! And the best part about it, I don't need there support when I'm running Linux.

Comments:

Review by nemmy7 See Profile

• Location: New Berlin,Waukesha,WI
Good "Fast connection, painless installation."
Bad "Poor communication pre-sale."
Overall "Great price, great performance, thumbs up."

Roadrunner sent me an email at the end of November alerting me that service was now availible in my area. I responded to the email immediately, but did not recieve a call back for almost two weeks. Roadrunner called me on 12/7/00, and I schedualed an installation date for the 26th of December. I recieved free installation, 1 month free, and free lease of the cable modem at 39.99 a month. The following day, they called me back and said they would not be able to make the install date, and asked when I would like to schedual a new one. I said as soon as possible. They schedualed my install date for the next day. This left me confused but happy, I don't know why they schedualed me for the 26th when they could come so early.

My schedualed install time was from 8am to 12pm. The installer showed up at 11:30am. It took him about an hour to splice the cable, run the new line, and go through the basics of the service. Just be sure to tell the installer where to drill any holes (if needed).

The cable modem is just simply a bridge between ethernet and the cable line. It doesn't have any features other than connecting you.

IPs are assigned via DHCP, and as long as you keep your computer online except to reboot, your IP probably wont change.

Except for the poor communication before the sale, and the installation date question, it was a quick and pleasureable experience.

Comments:

Review by outlookhazy See Profile

• Location: Clifton Park,Saratoga,NY
Good "Always fast enough. Sometimes faster."
Bad "USB Ethernet adapter, lazy installers"
Overall "Cheap and fast, the way I like em."

The installer used a lame usb ethernet adapter even though I already had one installed. The brochure said that if there was no cable outlet near the computer, they would install one. Instead, this tech ran a cable from the main outlet 25 feet away across the baseboards. I have heard that this can cause a slower connection. I usually get around 2600 - 3100 Kbps. They did not tell me what speed it would be.

Faster than DSL almost always. Cheaper than even the slowest and crappiest DSL.

Roadrunner [used to have] their own Quake 3, UT, and Counter-Strike servers that give you an excellent ping. Pings at other servers are usually pretty good. But I think DSL pings are better.

The IP address changes about weekly.

member for 14.1 years, 121 visits, last login: 6.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by RShadow See Profile

• Location: Columbia,Richland,SC
Good "Well certainly better than 56k...."
Bad "Install tech didn't know what he was doing"
Overall "It's a step up...."

Lemme tell you this from the begining: Ordered TW RoadRunner out of SC. A few calls were exchanged, but ultimately it took the install tech to "fit us in his busy schedule". When he did arrive, he was abit taken back by the setup: a huge server tower case, seperate phone line for the modems, daisy-chained US Robotics Courier V Everything 56k modems (2 of them), fax machine, two UPS', network laser printer, 20 inch monitor, but the biggest stumbling block of all, Windows NT.

The guy sits down, takes about 5 minutes trying to figure out how to open up the case, without asking me first, but when he finally does he sticks in a crappy Ovislink NIC. Then he hooked in what resembled CAT5 cable, but wasn't, it was (purposely) missing several wires from the connector. Then he hooked up the actual modem (Toshiba), which was the only hardware that he install that I had no problem with. Then he boots up NT and here is the following conversation:

"Windows NT?! Oh god, why do you have to use Windows NT?"

"Well it's a networking OS and has stronger security than anything in the 9x series."

"God, I hate NT, I wish you had Windows 98 instead, it's much easier for me."

**Few minutes later**

"God, I don't even now where to start in this thing..."

**Picks up his radio**

"Yeah, (Boss Guy), you there?"

"Yeah."

"We got an NT user on our hands."

"Oh no, give me the address and I'll be out there shortly."

**Fifty minutes later**

"See (Boss Guy), I don't even now where to start."

"Alright move aside... Hmmm... can't even resolve the IP and I set the gateway right, turned off Win DNS. I don't know. Ummm."

**Thirty MORE minutes later**

"Sir, I'm going to have to suggest you format and reinstall an OS, perferably Windows 98, it's much easier."

So then I finally sit down, determined to not format the drive, find out that they "accidently" in Services, disabled the DHCP client. I flicked it on, rebooted, and presto, internet access. Then I threw the Ovislink NIC as far as I could, installed a 3com NIC and replaced the cable with REAL CAT5 cable.

But it didn't stop there, I noticed decreased performance about five weeks later. So I called Tech Support, something that rarely occurs in my household. It took about three attempts just to get successfully transferred to the Tech Support department (2 disconnects and 1 wait that lasted 10 minutes too long). I finally reach the receptionist at the Tech Support department and she switches me over to one of the tech support people, BUT I get a busy signal. I call again, this time using a direct number to the TS department, and ask why I got transferred to a busy signal. She goes away from the phone and returns about three minutes later with this:

"I'm sorry sir, but all three of our tech support personnel are currently online."

"Excuse me? If their online, their phone lines should be clear."

"I'm sorry, they use dial-up access."

Hmmm, tech support that doesn't trust their own company's ability in broadband technologies certainly scares me. Well I finally did get a guy to come out to my house to check the line, the signal was low, the result of a bad cable splitter which was replaced.

Beyond that, and the normal slow down during the evening, everything is fine... I hope.

~Revolution Shadow~

member for 14.3 years, 10 visits, last login: 13.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by zyggy See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Fast installation, fast DL"
Bad "None yet"
Overall "Happy"

Just got Road Runner installed from TW NYC. Had Phoenixdsl and besides all the service problems in NYC with Verizon/Northpoint/Phoenix, I thought it was time to change my cable service. The Time Warner current deal is $99 for digital cable with 200+ stations including 4 multiple premiums and RoadRunner. Took 8 days from my call to Time Warner to install. The Time Warner guy and the Road Runner guy both showed up at the same time.

The Road Runner install was direct to my computers NIC and as soon as the install guys left I plugged in the cable modem to my LinkSys router and with one setup change the network and DCHP was up and running.

Speed test shows 1800+ DL and 240+ upload.