Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by wishspell See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Never found any"
Bad "horrible connection speed, too far in cyberspace, the worst tech support in the U.S."
Overall "RR is just too conjested. Peak hours are almost 24 hrs a day. The worst tech support I ever saw.If you are a gamer, get DSL."

My god what a horror story. Cable dude from hell Installed my modem and sent me to the toaster site,(which is bogus) and tested the speed. It said I was around 900kbps. Well as I said bogus. Went to msn site and tested and I was about 500kbps. Still thinking, hmm maybe some tweaks yet. Well around 5pm, AAAK. I was under 200kbps and "Too Far In Cyberspace" to play any games at a site I go to www.mplayer.com. (Tried with 56k modem and was 88% Excellent and 12 good). I ordered this service because I was told I would get 1.5mbps. I mentioned the problem with the traffic and they said they corrected the problem. Well they totally lied to me.

Phoned RR and after pressing about 30 buttons and then waiting for 45 min. I get an answer "well 200 kbps is good". I ask that a service dude come out and look at the blasted cables. Guy says he is sending someone on a Monday, gives me date and time, well no show. Call cable people from hell again and tell them to get nasty service out of my house. It took them two weeks and they tried to bill me for the parts I returned. Heh heh, I had the cable pick-up dude sign a paper saying he picked up all the parts. Cable people are not ripping me off. Warning about cable, you are NEVER connecting at the speed you think you are.

member for 14.2 years, 19 visits, last login: 10.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by Knicks998 See Profile

• Location: Monroe,Ouachita,LA
Good "Faster than 56K"
Bad "Gotten much slower as more people have got it."
Overall "This is better than 56k, but if you want an unshared speed line, wait for DSL."

I got RoadRunner Cable service installed about 3 months ago. They installed it on the scheduled date, so installation was pretty quick. They had to do something with my outside cable line, I think they had to install the right one or something. I've been pretty happy with it, it sure beats 56k. But the reliability isn't the greatest. It's been down sometimes, and sometimes the server would just not respond. Also, when I just got RR, the houston.rr.com test page read my speed was about 2000 kilobits per second.(200 KB per sec) Now, since more people have got on it, it has reduced to about 1000 kilobits per sec (!!!!)(its not 1 meg per sec more around 100 KB per sec) Cmon RR, you can do better than that. If price is an object, get this, because you can't really get lower than this. But if you are willing to pay the extra $10-15 per month, wait for DSL to hit this area. It should be more reliable and faster.

member for 14.2 years, 11 visits, last login: 10.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by ragtopcat See Profile

• Location: Canyon Country,Los Angeles,CA
Good "2 days from order to online, super fast, first test 1972/296"
Bad "Customer service did not tell me about "self-install" - heard from neighbor"
Overall "Excellent way to get on the 'net...very, very happy. New nodes @ 50 subscribers."

I'm now on braodband ! Only 2 days from order to online, self-install kit is a no-brainer. Great speed runs on hookup, had to change my machine's RWIN for best speed.

Only flaw was that no-one told me about self-install kit when I placed the order. Had to find out from my neighbor, who is a Business Development manager for Time Warner Cable (Roadrunner). Once I knew, I flew down to the local office and picked one up. One hour later, I'm flyin' !!!

Love this ISP; new nodes at evry 50 subscribers, I'm very,very happy !!

member for 14.2 years, 19 visits, last login: 10.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by mabasta See Profile

• Location: Bakersfield,Kern,CA
Good "Great Tech/Cust. Support, Fast Downloads, No Contract, Always On"
Bad "Low Upload"
Overall "The best yet. I've been there and done that with just about every type and company that internet solutions could be."

I've had just about every local and national dial-up service from way back at 28.8kbs. I've also explored various business and broad band internet solutions masked at large corperations. I've done the PacBell/SBC DSL thing and I have to say that Service with RoadRunner cable internet is like a breath of fresh air. I've had the best download speeds, outstanding customer support both on the sales and technical sides. And you can't beat the fact that it's always on and NO dial-up software is required. I've formatted my hard drive twice since I've had the service and with 2 different operating systems the setup process is still simple enough that it takes about 3 minutes and you're ready to fly. I know there have been times that my downstream has slowed but no matter what speed I get, high or low, it's far better than anything that I've ever received from my old DSL service. I run ZoneAlarm under Windows ME and I've never had any problems with security and/or speed (system and connection). They definetly have my vote. I've already written to the divisional President of my region and my letter has been forwarded to the president of operations for Time Warner Communications.

Comments:

Review by TheJimmy See Profile

• Location: Atlanta,Fulton,GA
Good "Pretty quick install date set"
Bad "unreliable speeds, security"
Overall "DSL is MUCH better"

Called to have cable modem installed. I frequently to tests of broadband services.
No wait on the phone, rep was nice, but gave almost no details of what the service consisted of. Gave no speed expectations, no services details. Pretty odd.
Installer came about an hour late. (17 days out) He could not load the software on the sys. because of a driver conflict (with the ethernet card). He had no tech support person to call to resolve the issue, so he asked if I knew how to do it. I didn't, so he left. After 3+ hours on hold to reschedule someone to come back out, a supervisor got on the phone and told me it is my responsibility to fix the driver conflict. When I do that "I can call back to reschedule". Gee thanks.

Supervisor contacted me again, and told me to format my hard drive and reload the OS and everything else. I must say, I am not very excited about that prospect.

Got everything up and running. Speeds are average, but not impressive (400/200). I liked my DSL better.

Update Oct 16th

I finally got it up and running, thanks to some helpful insights from DSLR members. Speed is good, about the same as I had with my ADSL. More to come.

Ok...finally done. Speeds average about 10-20% less than my Earthlink DSL....usually around 650K down. Have Norton firewall installed, but hacked twice. Much better than 56K, but I do like DSL better. I am running both to test differences.

member for 14.6 years, 318 visits, last login: 13.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by rev8 See Profile

• Location: Staten Island,Richmond,NY
Good "high speed downloads"
Bad "More users = slower speeds & Low capped uploads"
Overall "So far So Good will keep this review updated"

Called my local cable company they had weren't very knowledgable about the service. Found out the information I needed through dslreports and other sources and signed up. 10 days later I was installed. Tech left without checking speed. Tech support was no help at all. They treat you like you just purchased a computer and can't get it out of the box. I had to find the problem myself. Bad cable coming in to house. I repaired it and all was fine. So far so good. Hope I never have to deal with tech support again. They read out of a book and walk you through stuff most people were already smart enough to try. The news server is slow! If you like to download from the binary groups get a seperate usenet account. I will keep this updated when i log some more up time.

member for 15.1 years, 747 visits, last login: 6.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by CharlesSchwab See Profile

• Location: Overland Park,Johnson,KS
Good "Fastest Broadband Available in Kansas City"
Bad "Still no e-mail"
Overall "Good Service and Great Value"

It took forever to get here, but it is well worth the wait. Road Runner cable speeds slaughter DSL. If it is available, jump on it. It is only $40 a month, and it beat the heck out of any dial up service.

member for 14.2 years, 103 visits, last login: 12.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by sanctuary See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "Fast service,Tech answered all questions,free install,free month service"
Bad "none"
Overall "2Mbps, need I say more!"

I had a very good experience with RoadRunner. The install went well. Everyone showed up at the appointed time frame. Did have minor problem with firewall (Zone Alarm) but that was cleared and the first ethernet card was bad but it was changed.Tech was very informed and really enjoyed his job. I would like to thank DSL Reports for the information you provide.DSL Reports also helped tweak my system which provided the above result. An excellent site. Keep up the good work. Made it much easier to decide which provider to choose. Thanks!

member for 14.2 years, 205 visits, last login: 1.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by cardwell See Profile

• Location: Alpharetta,Fulton,GA
Good "Fast, good news server, quick installation."
Bad "Wasn't always fast."

I'm in the Atlanta area. When I got Road Runner in June the cable company was MediaOne. AT&T bought MediaOne, and it is now called AT&T Broadband. Immediately after the merger, things deteriorated as the company shifted around, but now that everything has settled the service is actually quite a bit better than when I first subscribed.

The network, up to a month or two ago, was at 100% capacity in the evenings, and I was only seeing maybe 50kB/sec downloads. Ping times got somewhat high, and while it certainly was better than dialup it wasn't great. RR finally upgraded bandwidth by purchasing an OC-12, and now everything is quick and snappy 24/7.

A lot of people incorrectly say that DSL is a "dedicated" connection. And while this is true up to the central office, you still share bandwidth at the ISP (unless you are purchasing business service with guaranteed levels of service). Both cable and DSL will be fast, as long as your ISP maintains their network.

I really don't have much to complain about. Mail works. News not only works, but the news server is of pay server quality: 40,000 groups, good retention, complete binaries, and very fast. I have had a two days of downtime (two one day outages) and a few minor outages not worth reporting. Overall, it is pretty reliable, especially when compared to other broadband services out there. It also seems as though they have gotten their act together at this point. Tech support, I have heard, isn't too great. But since I haven't really had much experience with it, I couldn't tell you how it is.

In my neighborhood I know of at least 6 people having the service and there are about 90 houses total. For most they had the service about a week after signing up. I had to wait a bit longer because I also subscribed to the phone and TV service (the phone service is of better quality/price than Bellsouth's, BTW) but still was able to get it in under two weeks.

For $40 a month ($50 if you choose to rent the modem) it is worth it.

member for 14.2 years, 107 visits, last login: 5.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by tommy2684 See Profile

• Location: Staten Island,Richmond,NY
Good "Awesome Speeds!!!"
Bad "None!"
Overall "I had DSL, and Cable beats it hands down"

I Has 384/128 DSL for 1yr. My contract expired and i decided to give RoadRunner A Try. The best decision i ever made. I get constant 1Mbps-4.0Mbps/350Kbps speeds compared to 384Kbps/128Kbps. Installations was extremly painless, installer came on time and was out in 20min. My system was network ready. RR works great with my Linksys Router. I have 1 dynamic IP, which never changes thanks to the Linksys Router. If your looking for a low cost broadband solution, cable should be first on your list.

member for 14.7 years, 114 visits, last login: 6.8 years ago