Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by iconnary See Profile

• Location: Atlanta,Fulton,GA
Good "Decent throughput, easy to snarf additional IP addresses"
Bad "Crap latency (300ms to backbone), Crap DNS"
Overall "For the technically retarded and indifferent, its a great deal!!"

Overview: Cable modem service, DHCP issued addresses, no PPOE, Toshiba/3Com cable modems (CoAx in,Ethernet out), overall a BAD experience.

While MediaOne RoadRunner (now AT&T Broadband) usually gives decent throughput (sometimes up to 300Kbyte/Sec), one has to put up with so much other crap that it hardly becomes worth it. For instance...

DNS - I have NEVER had a reverse DNS entry for my MediaOne IP. While this may not be an issue for most, it certainly has been for me (30 second timeout connecting to anything that requires a reverse DNS lookup). I have called them at least 8 times over a period of 6 months (min. 2 hour call each time), have gotten a promise of resolution each time, and low and behold, it was never taken care of. Every other MediaOne network seems to have reverse DNS entries, but not mine...

Latency - A traceroute shows a persistent 250-300ms hop on the Mediaone backbone. I have griped about this too, been made countless promises, and never received any form of resolution/response.

To their credit, MediaOne does make it very easy for one to steal their IP addresses. Officially you're only allocated a single address (or for more $$, up to 3), but with proxy ARP and a static NAT kernel patch on your linux box, theres no limit (Disclaimer - I'm not condoning nor encouraging this type of activity in any way)

All in all, I'm done with these guys, their support is pathetic - while some of them try hard, none of them seem capable of bringing resolution my problems. And when you finally get an opportunity to speak with someone who knows their stuff technically, they are usually unforgivably arrogant. DON'T GO HERE!!

Comments:

Review by brndg See Profile

• Location: Chelmsford,Middlesex,MA
Good "Pricing, speed, installation"
Bad "Because of the mac address you can't change equipment without a service charge"
Overall "Cables slowest speed is twice as fast as Verizon DSL"

After 90 days of tyring to get Verizon DSL installed and working, I gave up and went with AT&T Road Runner (formerly known as MediaOne.)

The installation was done two days after I placed the order. AT&T's contractors dropped a new line to the house and to the room where my computer is kept.
Daytime speed is around 1500 / 280. Nightime speed is around 1400 / 250.
Install was completed in under 90 minutes (including the new cable line.)

I've had to call Tech Support twice over the last 30 days. Once for user error and once to have them enter in the mac address for the Toshiba modem. They charged me $12.00 to change the modem over :-(
Both calls to support were answered in under 3 minutes time.

Having AT&T Broadband is a pleasant change from Verizon and their nightly speed drops.

Comments:

Review by Terribleted See Profile

• Location: Snellville,Gwinnett,GA
Good "sounds good on paper"
Bad "evreything :sporadic, slow, very packet lossy . was good for first 3 months. last 8 months have been lousy."
Overall "if u can get dsl here in atlanta ne way buy it instead. even slow dsl better than this"

Got then Media One roadrunner in early Feb 2000. Ran great for first 2 months or so. Speeds approaching 3 mbps sometimes. Then as they added customers I assume they added no capacity and everything slowed to a crawl. They added some Servers in April "so they told me" and things improved for a month or so. Its been all downhill since then. I have called Now ATT customer no-service at least 8 times since August. Each call has taken over 2 hours mostly on hold or listening to customer service reps search through pages of manuals to answer rudimentary questions. They have made 2 work orders to check my system and my line. Their technicians say it is a system problem but no one is apparently interested in supplying the service I was promised. Unfortunately dsl is not available to me here as I am too far from central office. If even slow 144kbps dsl was available to me I would drop roadrunner like a a hot potatoe. We like to game but connection is so uneven and lossy that it is usually unusable for that purpose. Slow and consistent is what i would expect from slow dsl, slow kind of stinks but the packet loss and inconsistency of ATT Roadrunner worse than stinks. Try playing capture the flag with enemy and flag carriers appearing and disappearing right in front of your face, very difficult. Suicide is really easy when the screen catches up and jerks 90 degrees as you shoot rockets into it and blow yourself up. ATT can kiss my hiney.

Comments:

Review by ctreadwe

• Location: Troy,Rensselaer,NY
Good "Great speed!"
Bad "You had to "unlock" the speed,outages a little frequent"
Overall "Want some serious speed,get Roadrunner!"

I hated being on a 56k so I finally ordered Roadrunner.At the day of
arrival they came promptly at the scheduled time.After about 30mins i
was told that they needed to upgrade my cable wire.They did that
quick.Then they booted up my machine and set some configuration changes
and boom! There it was!At the first speed test i was a tad dissapointed
Down:400Kbps
Up:350Kbps
So i tried fiddling with it and at that time i didnt know anything about
cable and it slowed to a 56k.Next day they sent someone over.Fixed and
back to 400Kbps.
Then i tried a patch and it shot up to
Down:1700Kbps
Up:350Kbps
I tried another patch Boom!
Down:3000Kbps
Up:250-500Kbps
Ive had it for bout 3 months and i love it!

(review was emailed from domain nycap.rr.com)

Comments:

Review by mcfine3 See Profile

• Location: Austin,Travis,TX
Good "Can be very fast when working. Pretty decent pings for gaming."
Bad "Line problems, goes off every now and then, waiting for days for problem to be fixed."
Overall "Great when working but not too reliable."

I live in a pretty populated area and DSL was not available so cable was my only choice. With cable in Austin you get faster speeds but lower guaranteed speeds than DSL. Installation was quick and they provided the modem. Very fast. Great for online gaming which is 50% of the reason I got cable. So it seemed like in my position cable was the better choice.

However... I ordered cable because I live in an appartment that has T1 ehternet included in the rent. Problem is theres 600+ ppl living here. Incredibly slow at peak times, very inconsistent and getting cable would be like paying twice for internet access. It was too bad so I ordered cable and I still get the same problems.

As a student dropping $45 a month is a pain but would be worth it if I got good service. This is my 3rd week with RoadRunner and I have had one complete outage for a little while, once in a while it slows down, I do line tests and there are problems with routers. Today I have been getting download speeds that my 28.8k modem could put to shame (1.2KB/sec!!!). Its bliss when its working but 3 problems in the space of just over 2 weeks is not very reliable. Called sutomer service and I am still waiting for a response or fix. Called again and they tell me that the guys that look at the trace info won't be coming in until tomorrow.

If I pay money for something I expect it to work all the time cause companies never ask for less money when its time to pay the bill. Once in a while is acceptable but 3 times in 2 weeks is too much.

Comments:

Review by Lazar9 See Profile

• Location: Staten Island,Richmond,NY

I have mixed feelings about Road Runner service. The connection and reliability is always good. Once you perform a few tweaks to it, you'll be just fine,something tech support fails to inform you about.After my second nic card and a few re-installs of some programs of mine that were blown out....it's not to bad

Download NeoPlanet at »www.neoplanet.com

member for 13.9 years, 84 visits, last login: 11.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by ImDisGuysd See Profile

• Location: North Reading,Middlesex,MA
Good "Good speed - never down"
Bad "Speeds vary somewhat however"
Overall "Excellent choice at this time for home users and home networks"

Excellent customer service, response to questions is generally within an hour. This review is for MediaONE/RoadRunner northeast service. I'd highly recommend this service to anyone with limited technical knowledge. The install tech was quite specific with his instructions and I was completely informed prior to him leaving my install site.

• Location: Franklin,Oakland,MI
Good "Great company to work with. FAST FAST FAST, yo!!"

5 stars all the way around!!! Great company, great service. A+

(review was emailed from domain mediaone.net)

Comments:

Review by NetSpider See Profile

• Location: Myrtle Beach,Horry,SC
Good "Fast, and easy to set-up."
Bad "Tech support here localy leaves a lot to be desired, at times"
Overall "A good go for the Internet savy, but useless to the "AOL is God" crowd."

RR in SC has a dynamic ip system, however, i have had the same IP for the past 5 months, so go figure! If you are lucky ehough to get a set up like have, being the only person in your node area on, your speed is rockin, as i dont have to share the bandwith with others. As RR catches on, im sure that will change. The only bad thing i have to say is the 14.95 cost of a second ip for a networked system, but there are ways around that, so just think it through, and you can figure it out, i did!

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Excellent value for the money - AOL doesn't control it yet"
Bad "It's not free -AOL is going to control it and ruin it"
Overall "Heck of a good deal for now, AOL will likely take anything good away though"

In the past year I've had @Home for 8 months and it was an excellent
service. @Home sold me on cable as a broadband medium. I moved and then
had to switch to Southwestern Bell DSL which was a bigger headache than
females. Had DSL for 2 months, it was stable but slow (500k) line speed to
CO, and then I received a job transfer and then moved to Road Runner
territory. I like the fact that I do not have to have cable (@Home is same
way) because I am a diehard DirecTV fan (go satellite), and when I called
they had my order in for the next week, which was a good time for me as I
had not unpacked my computer yet. First the hardware guy came to install
the wire and modem (I live in apartments), and a second tech was supposed to
come install the software. The second tech never showed up. I called and
complained, and they set me up for the next day from 4pm-6pm appt slot.
Since I don't mind leaving work early, I came home and waited. No one
showed up again. Frustrated, and desperate for broadband, I called and they
said the tech would come right over and be there tonight (guaranteed). It
was 7 pm. By 10, no installer. I called again, and was told that the tech
could not find my apartment in the dark, so I offered to come pick the cd
with software up from the office. The guy said "what software?". The tech
was only coming to install the network card, which I already had in the
computer. So I hooked up the patch cable and was surfing in 2 minutes.
Although it is dynamic, my IP has not changed yet. The service is
exceptionally fast (rated at 4000/500k on computingcentral.msn.com). Email
is a little slow, but I highly recommend Road Runner to anyone, as I would
@Home. However, if AOL takes over and forces us to use AOL as the gateway
to the internet, I will cancel in a second. I hope that this Earthlink/RR
proposal doesn't affect me in any way. And I also hope that AOL/Time Warner
merger doesn't change the cable either.

That's just my two thoughts on Road Runner. If the service changes, I will
update this. However after having both cable and DSL, I think DSL is just
the phone companies' way of trying to get more life out of the outdated
copper lines. Both technologies will coexist peacefully, but cable will
always have the upper hand as cable can be more efficiently upgraded. How
hard is it to replace all the copper? Whatever. The Bells' don't have
enough money to do that. Until the run fiber to the house, cable is as good
as it gets.

(review was emailed from domain tsi.gte.com)