Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by t0dd See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Anoka,MN
Good "Install techs go the xtra mile, 99.99% uptime for 11 months and counting!"
Bad "Phone tech support hit-or-miss since AT&T took over RR from MediaOne."
Overall "BROADBAND = This is your ISP, this is your ISP on steroids. Any questions?"

I have been a RR client now for 11 months - and have to say switching from analog (dial-up) to digital service has been one of the best decisions I've ever made. I live in the North Minneapolis suburb of St. Anthony Village, and found myself roughly 600ft too far from a CO for DSL service. As luck would have it our Community was one of the first to offer RR service. I 'considered' switching from my (free) 56k dial-up to "this new $50-a-month broadband thing" for about 6 weeks. I told everyone I was giving RR "time to work out the bugs", but in reality it was tough to rationalize paying $600/year for internet service. (Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free, right??) Well, I finally broke down and in December '99 called MediaOne (the RR ISP at the time) to set up an installation.

Folks, I'm here to tell you I waited 29 days too long to make that decision. Anyone accessing this review through a dial-up connection...pay attention - the speed difference is beyond dramatic. The service here is DHCP, and typical bandwidth 1500kbps download and 300kbps upload. Compared with 56k, it's like throwing a bullet versus shooting a bullet. Yes, the bullet still winds up in the same place, but it gets there a whole lot faster. Of course, having a bigger gun helps a lot too.

After reading a few of the other reviews on this page, I am GLAD there were no 'digital options' available to me prior to RR (the whole Verizon thing just makes me SHUDDER). My own RR experience has been absolutely stellar. For starters, I called to request service on a Thursday. The scheduler looked at the appointments and offered that Saturday as an install date. That's right, 2 days. I was blown away. THEN the install tech arrived about an hour AHEAD of schedule (calling first to make sure I was OK with the schedule change, which I thought was a nice touch). This guy really knew what he was doing, he tested the cable line (I do not subscribe to cable TV) and had all the equipment hooked up and ready to rock in less than 15 minutes. There was a little trouble getting the modem to "provision" (geekspeak for "see the ISP") and he spent about 30 minutes with the home office before realizing he'd entered the wrong MAC info. Once that was squared away, he even took the time to ask me how familiar I was with the internet, and he set up some favorites for me (RR homepage of course, but he had a couple cool broadband content sites to share as well). I was up and running in under an hour, and my service has not been offline for more than 5 minutes since then (literally).

I can't say I've noticed any drop in bandwidth over the last 11 months either. I use VitalSigns' NetMedic to monitor throughput right out to the server on the other end, and the RR subnet has always consistantly provided PLENTY of headroom. No telling what will happen once the nodes start to fill up (and once people realize the benefits of digital internet service, the rush will be on) but given RR's oft-displayed 'can-do' attitude, I am confident any issues which come up will be dealt with quickly.

My only minor complaint (and it's a small one at that)...AT&T assumed ISP status as our local RR provider (from MediaOne) a couple months back. While I've only had to call technical support 4 times in my 11+ months as a subscriber, the last time was after the 'management change', and I was not impressed with this particular technician's method of dealing with my question. I was having some POP-3 e-mail issues (with an account other than the RR one), and I simply wanted to know how often their local DNS cache was refreshed. I guess this was a question beyond the techical scope of the person I had on the phone, but instead of transferring me to a 'level 2' technician, he simply set me down and asked around. Upon his return, I got answers ranging from 'monthly' to 'every 24 hours', and no offer of any follow-up from someone with the correct answer. I hung up more confused than I was when I first placed the call - not a situation you want your customers to find themselves in.

But without a doubt, I love my RoadRunner service. Those of you who've read through several of these postings can see I'm in the majority. If you're lucky enough to live in an area offering several competing broadband providers, I'd recommend serious consideration of your RoadRunner service provider.

Enjoy your time online!

-TS

member for 13.7 years, 31 visits, last login: 11.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by Grizzyboy See Profile

• Location: Riverview,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Fast, Reliable, good tech support, makes me happy!"
Overall "Good ISP is u don't got DSL or don't want it"

Pretty good, a litte bit of down time, and i had a weak signal, but they were up on that in an instant. I love my Road Runner!

Comments:

Review by jtrjtr See Profile

• Location: Jamaica,Queens,NY
Good "Installation went smooth, Extremely fast & reliable"
Bad "Tech didn't know why their DNS wasn't working...(they fixed it)"
Overall "Awesome! I'm getting rid of my DSL"

I've been waiting for TimeWarner's RoadRunner to come into Jamaica NY. So i signed up online as soon as it was available. I currently have DSL and I'm tired of it. RoadRunner contacted me in about 4 days, they made the appointment for the following week (week of Nov 15th). BAM!!

Very fast!! It costs me more to have my DSL. It's cost me 39.95 * 2 for DSL.

I can't complain yet. If you live in Jamaica NY, GET RoadRunner!!!!!! Forget about DSL. It's too expensive, takes too long to install, and you're not always going to get the best connection for your money.

1. Can't beat $39.95 / month (you have to have cable subscription already)
2. Speed is awesome
3. Latencies are low
4. Damn DSL sucks!

Peace
James T. Romano

member for 13.7 years, 34 visits, last login: 12.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by zorro693 See Profile

• Location: Neenah,Winnebago,WI
Good "Speed and no disconnections"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Great service good pricing"

Got rr about amonth ago and it is great the speed is super I can download 7mb files in less than a min. never been dissconnected. never had to call for tech support. the installation crew was on time and great.

Comments:

Review by shrin See Profile

• Location: Waukesha,Waukesha,WI
Good "Rates for service are OK, It is faster then a Dail up. Install was fast however service tech was late."
Bad "Sales Rep were new and untrained, Personnel in general are not properly trained."
Overall "Speed issues have to be addressed and personnel have to be trained."

I am not sure if my problems are just because RR just went on line in my area or not and I hope they get the speed issues resolved. I can download from some servers faster using my dialup service.

member for 13.7 years, 15 visits, last login: 13.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by IsLaNd BoY2001 See Profile

• Location: Honolulu,Honolulu,HI
Good "Fast and reliable"
Bad "Gave junk ISA nic's that died"
Overall "Very fast and reliable - i recommend it"

I've had Roadrunner for about a year now. Installation was very fast but Roadrunner said they would come 8am-5pm(gee.. they didn't have to be so specific LoL). They gave a 3com ISA nic which died in a couple months, called and got a new one(exact same one). That one died in a month so i went to CompUSA and picked up a $10 one and now it's all smooth. Performance was about 75k/sec downloads but now Roadrunner is adding 3 DS3 circuits and plus i "tweaked" my pc and now i can get 450k+/sec which is amazing. Service has gone down twice in one year, once due to a problem accident in my area and the other due to network upgrading. Those were very short and i used dial up in the meantime. Live chat with tech 24/7 if you need help which is very good. Bottom line? Very fast!!! Reliable, good value and again great performance! I would recommend it to anyone and everyone!

Comments:

Review by kennethchalk See Profile

• Location: Fort Bragg,Cumberland,NC
Good "It is fast as hell!"

I just signed up with Road Runner Cable Accses. It's been a smooth
ride. Instalation was quick and hassle-free. It is fast as hell!

I wish my previous experiance with Sprint-DSL was as smooth. They
couldn't esablish service, yet they posted a charge to my phone bill for
a $199.00 modem that was suposed to be free. To top it all off they are
still sending me a bill for monthly service.

K.C. Chalk

Comments:

Review by jtatanus See Profile

• Location: Webster,Monroe,NY
Good "speed"
Bad "lack of service sometimes"
Overall "good"

Roadrunner is the best service that I have had. Of course, the only ISP I
have had before that is AOL and a small local company. Before install, we
were notified that for the $50 do-it-yourself install we would get the cable
into our house, and be given the ethernet card, but we would need to put the
card in ourselves. When the installer came, he hadn't heard anything about
this free card thing. We called our local RR HeadQueaters (Rochester, NY)
and they instructed the installer to find a PC Installer and get a card to
give us. Ok, so that turned out OK. Well, the installer ran the new cable
in, and he left it above the ground and said somebody would come soon with a
tool to put the cable into the ground. The person didn't show up for a
week, and I couldn't mow my lawn because of this cable running across it, so
we called. The person came the next day. The only problems with service I
have had are infrequent "no cable light lit" experiences, and on 6/19/00, I
tried to get onto Amazon.com to order a Handspring Visor (I had finally
saved up enough money) and no connection to any site. Called the tech
number and they had a message saying "we are currently experiencing a
problem with road runner in all areas". The odd thing was my neighbors had
a connection, and that tech number is the same number you call to order the
service. With some of my problems, though, when I called the Techs sounded
very stupid and gave advice that I had already tried.

Comments:

Review by drack1 See Profile

• Location: Fairfax,Fairfax City,VA
Good "No wait tech support, Better than Verizon in everyway"
Overall "Even though not absolutely perfect, it's absolutely better than Verizon"

After going through the typical Verizon horror stories, I switched to RoadRunner. The first week was great. Double the speed of Verizon at the same price!

Well, on the second week RoadRunner was not syncing. So, I called tech support and got through in less than 5 minutes. You won't believe this, but unlike Verizon, they told me that they would schedule an installer to come out AND without my asking, the tech credited my account for $20.00!

The installer has been out and fixed a loose connection in less than 15 minutes. Now, if I were still with Hellrizon, I would still be waiting to talk to a Level 1 tech who would have asked me to disconnect the modem, reboot the computer, reconnect the modem, and tell me that they're not sure what the problem is but they're working on it and falsely promise to call me back in a couple of days, weeks, years, decades .....

Even though I had this minor problem with RoadRunner the bad service and short term connection with Verizon has made me appreciate RoadRunner's great technical support and service.

member for 13.8 years, 132 visits, last login: 10.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by guenna See Profile

• Location: Spring Hill,Hernando,FL
Good "SPEED-SPEED-SPEED***RELIABILITY"
Overall "They are the best. Always on & very fast.I would recommend them in a nanosecond."

The installation techs knew just what they were doing & got things up & running in no time. Only 1 outage to speak of and RR got on it right away to replace faulty equipment. I have a dynamic IP & Docsis modems in my area.