Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by NetSpider See Profile

• Location: Myrtle Beach,Horry,SC
Good "Fast, and easy to set-up."
Bad "Tech support here localy leaves a lot to be desired, at times"
Overall "A good go for the Internet savy, but useless to the "AOL is God" crowd."

RR in SC has a dynamic ip system, however, i have had the same IP for the past 5 months, so go figure! If you are lucky ehough to get a set up like have, being the only person in your node area on, your speed is rockin, as i dont have to share the bandwith with others. As RR catches on, im sure that will change. The only bad thing i have to say is the 14.95 cost of a second ip for a networked system, but there are ways around that, so just think it through, and you can figure it out, i did!

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Excellent value for the money - AOL doesn't control it yet"
Bad "It's not free -AOL is going to control it and ruin it"
Overall "Heck of a good deal for now, AOL will likely take anything good away though"

In the past year I've had @Home for 8 months and it was an excellent
service. @Home sold me on cable as a broadband medium. I moved and then
had to switch to Southwestern Bell DSL which was a bigger headache than
females. Had DSL for 2 months, it was stable but slow (500k) line speed to
CO, and then I received a job transfer and then moved to Road Runner
territory. I like the fact that I do not have to have cable (@Home is same
way) because I am a diehard DirecTV fan (go satellite), and when I called
they had my order in for the next week, which was a good time for me as I
had not unpacked my computer yet. First the hardware guy came to install
the wire and modem (I live in apartments), and a second tech was supposed to
come install the software. The second tech never showed up. I called and
complained, and they set me up for the next day from 4pm-6pm appt slot.
Since I don't mind leaving work early, I came home and waited. No one
showed up again. Frustrated, and desperate for broadband, I called and they
said the tech would come right over and be there tonight (guaranteed). It
was 7 pm. By 10, no installer. I called again, and was told that the tech
could not find my apartment in the dark, so I offered to come pick the cd
with software up from the office. The guy said "what software?". The tech
was only coming to install the network card, which I already had in the
computer. So I hooked up the patch cable and was surfing in 2 minutes.
Although it is dynamic, my IP has not changed yet. The service is
exceptionally fast (rated at 4000/500k on computingcentral.msn.com). Email
is a little slow, but I highly recommend Road Runner to anyone, as I would
@Home. However, if AOL takes over and forces us to use AOL as the gateway
to the internet, I will cancel in a second. I hope that this Earthlink/RR
proposal doesn't affect me in any way. And I also hope that AOL/Time Warner
merger doesn't change the cable either.

That's just my two thoughts on Road Runner. If the service changes, I will
update this. However after having both cable and DSL, I think DSL is just
the phone companies' way of trying to get more life out of the outdated
copper lines. Both technologies will coexist peacefully, but cable will
always have the upper hand as cable can be more efficiently upgraded. How
hard is it to replace all the copper? Whatever. The Bells' don't have
enough money to do that. Until the run fiber to the house, cable is as good
as it gets.

(review was emailed from domain tsi.gte.com)

Comments:

Review by cannon13 See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Good Installation Crew, Excellent Speeds, Free Installation and Free Modem"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "So far, So good"

I have been a client of Verizon for the past six months ($39.95/mo.). When I moved a few blocks in November they told me that the new location ment a new telephone number and therefore a new DSL account and another six week wait. I'd had so many bad experiences, with their poor equipment (Westel modem) and their poor software, that I decided to give cable a try. I called RR two weeks ago and placed my order with a very polite but clueless sales rep. The install was done this afternoon (two weeks from order to on-line). The rate is $39.95/mo., free installation, free Toshiba TCX100 modem. They provide a dynamic IP, which wouldn't be my preference but you can't have everything for $40 bucks a month. First speed test gave me 2340 down and 371 up. This is the definition of OUTSTANDING. But, I'm a born skeptic so I'll wait and see if the performance falls off, as many of the reviews suggest it will. More to follow.

member for 13.9 years, 58 visits, last login: 13.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by TheShaz See Profile

• Location: Ruskin,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Speed, istallation & Customer Service"
Bad "None yet"
Overall "Have been on for a month on. I'm out of HD space thanks to Napster :-)"

I have to say this service rocks. While I was in NYC last winter I got DSL (BellAtlantic) is was good. Anything is better than dial-up. But a few times the service went down, but not often. Well I'm home (South of Tampa) and I'm too far for DSL, my local dialup speed is 26.4, but TimeWarner two years ago laid fiberoptic lines to my street. I called and they had a special. FREE INSTALLATION, 1st MONTH FREE @ $40 a month with NO CONTRACT! I have three family PC's sharing it thru a NETGEAR 314 router. My PC has been on non-stop. Thruput is nice 1200up and 900down. I've seen faster, I live in the boonies outside a huge retirement comunity, I guess the old folks over there don't use this srevice much so I'm zooming right along. Installation was great. It's a two person deal, one guy comes first and set's up your PC and gives you the paperwork, and explains everyting, a few hours later the install guy comes and BOOM. Your up and running. I recomend this, highly.

member for 14.9 years, 131 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by bpmonaghan See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "always on, always fast, always dependable"
Bad "you have to associate yourself with time warner cable, no web email"
Overall "damn good!"

after declaring war on verizon, i finally signed up with roadrunner thru time warner in new york. i must say, the service is excellent. it took them about 6 days to come and install it and it gets done in about 5 minutes and your online. free modem, first month free. now i put a low rating for tech support even though i don't know how it is, but you know at all those big companies that it never fails to suck big time. so far it doesn't seem like i'll need it. it has been known to go out once in a while, but my nieghbor who has had it for months said there was a period of like 5 hours ONCE where it got stuck on him. if you want broadband, get this, it puts the despicable verizon online to shame. if you have a problem and tech support doesn't arrive the net day, you get a month free.

Comments:

Review by NGOwner See Profile

• Location: Leawood,Johnson,KS
Good "This is the way broadband should be!"
Bad "No web based email access -- RR software user authentication"
Overall "Don't walk --- RUN to your phone and order NOW!"

Lets roll the clock back to Spring 1999. My situation was typical of many others here. I live too damn far away from the CO to get DSL (29000 wire feet thank you very much). Satellite wasn't an option. Cable hadn't been rolled out yet. Wireless was still a figment of some executive's imagination. 56K hell.

In Kansas City, Time Warner had been very aggressive rolling out their cable Internet, but it hadn't yet reached my neighborhood. I put my name and email address on their early bird newsletter. They said by doing so I'd get preferential treatment, and be contacted when the service rolled out. I got a few email newsletters which were just fluff. I checked their website several times a month to see if any new neighborhoods had been launched. Late in the year I started calling about every four weeks to see if my neighborhood qualified. No dice.

Then came the New Year: January 2000. I called again. Lo and behold cable is available. My first though was why didn't they call me? Anyway, I remember dropping the phone in surprise when they said what day would you like it installed tomorrow perhaps? Take that DSL! Another thing. At the time I ordered, Time Warner was running two promotions:

1) If you pre-paid a year of service, you got your 13th month free. (did that!)

2) Customer referrals get you a free month of service. (have done this three times!)

Check to see if those programs are still running!

The install didn't go smoothly. In fact Time Warner uses some weird system. Two people. One to run the line, one to prep the computer. When the first guy came (late I might add, but that's OK, I got my installation free that way!) he was the computer guy. I insisted on a fresh cable drop. He left the Toshiba cable modem and took off ycause he was just the computer guy. Said the cable installer would come later that day. Once the cable line was laid, then he could come back and finish the installation.

And boy did that cable guy come late! 7PM! But he got the cable installed. Fresh drop from the cable thingy on the street all the way to my computer. BTW, you should insist on a fresh cable drop, too. Who knows what people have done to the cable lines in houses/apartments, or for that matter how long they have been there. Signal degradation is virtually a given with older lines. Make sure that the line from the head end to your computer is NEW!

Rescheduled the computer guy for Saturday morning. I sat in my office at 9PM with this broadband connection. I had to fiddle with it. Had to get it going. And I did! Frankly I was a little disappointed at first. It wasn't very fast. DL in the 30-50 KB/sec range. Sigh.

Then I went online and looked for cable tweaks (this was before I stumbled across dslreports). Found lots and tweaked. Whoa, is all I can say. If you haven't tweaked your computer for maximum throughput you must! I was pulling 1300 1500 Kb/sec. I was happy.

Computer guy came as scheduled on Saturday. Installed that useless RoadRunner software, made me sign the appropriate use contract, and left.

Since January:

1) The line has been down three times to my knowledge. No outage lasted longer than 2 hours.

2) Over the summer I noticed that during peak times the connections seemed slower than they seemed to be in the spring. Testing validated my feelings. I had slipped to the 900-1200 Kb/sec.

3) In the fall, Time Warner increased neighborhood capacity, DSLreports currently shows my line consistently in the 1800-2000 Kb/sec DL range.

4) Set up a home LAN using the LinkSys Cable/DSL router. Easy as pie, except that I can no longer access the control panel of the RoadRunner email accounts because the router blocks identification. Oh well.

5) Upload speeds have always been a rock solid 384Kb/sec.

I have no horror stories to report about Time Warner and Road Runner. In Kansas City, they rock!

[NG]Owner

member for 13.8 years, 4308 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by BANDITT9 See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI

I am currently using Time Warner RoadRunner. Since my install date of
early Sept I have only had 1 problem. Where they upgraded their IP
scheme and did not allow for enough IP addresses. This problem has now
been corrected and for not getting service they have given me 3 months
free service. This problem was just in the Milwaukee, Wi area. I would
recommend RR to anyone in my area. I have heard the rumors from all
other areas about cable modems going out all the time but I have yet to
see that problem. If anyone is planning on going the cable modem route
and need some questions answered by a customer I'm your man. Send me an
email and Im more than willing to help.

Bryan

member for 14.3 years, 311 visits, last login: 3.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by neo84 See Profile

• Location: Hialeah,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Excellent Speed 4mb Connection Down and 500kup 2 days from order to live!"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Its the best for your money 19.95 till April 2001 and then 49.95 a month."

After having DSL with Telocity for four months I called it quits. Three weeks ago I lost sync and Bellsouth nor Telocity knew what the problem was and was giving me the run around. I ordered AT&T RoadRunner (used to be MediaOne) and two days later the install guy was on time and in less than an hour I was up on the web getting a 4MB (download) connection and a 500k (upload)During peak hours my connection stays at about 2.5MB and during offpeak stay at 4.0 sometimes hitting 6.0MB. I haven't had it for a very long time however, from information I've gotten from friends of mine in the area have all been postive. I will re-review AT&T RoadRunner after I have had it for a month. As it stands I couldn't be happier!

member for 13.8 years, 26 visits, last login: 13.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by t0dd See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Anoka,MN
Good "Install techs go the xtra mile, 99.99% uptime for 11 months and counting!"
Bad "Phone tech support hit-or-miss since AT&T took over RR from MediaOne."
Overall "BROADBAND = This is your ISP, this is your ISP on steroids. Any questions?"

I have been a RR client now for 11 months - and have to say switching from analog (dial-up) to digital service has been one of the best decisions I've ever made. I live in the North Minneapolis suburb of St. Anthony Village, and found myself roughly 600ft too far from a CO for DSL service. As luck would have it our Community was one of the first to offer RR service. I 'considered' switching from my (free) 56k dial-up to "this new $50-a-month broadband thing" for about 6 weeks. I told everyone I was giving RR "time to work out the bugs", but in reality it was tough to rationalize paying $600/year for internet service. (Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free, right??) Well, I finally broke down and in December '99 called MediaOne (the RR ISP at the time) to set up an installation.

Folks, I'm here to tell you I waited 29 days too long to make that decision. Anyone accessing this review through a dial-up connection...pay attention - the speed difference is beyond dramatic. The service here is DHCP, and typical bandwidth 1500kbps download and 300kbps upload. Compared with 56k, it's like throwing a bullet versus shooting a bullet. Yes, the bullet still winds up in the same place, but it gets there a whole lot faster. Of course, having a bigger gun helps a lot too.

After reading a few of the other reviews on this page, I am GLAD there were no 'digital options' available to me prior to RR (the whole Verizon thing just makes me SHUDDER). My own RR experience has been absolutely stellar. For starters, I called to request service on a Thursday. The scheduler looked at the appointments and offered that Saturday as an install date. That's right, 2 days. I was blown away. THEN the install tech arrived about an hour AHEAD of schedule (calling first to make sure I was OK with the schedule change, which I thought was a nice touch). This guy really knew what he was doing, he tested the cable line (I do not subscribe to cable TV) and had all the equipment hooked up and ready to rock in less than 15 minutes. There was a little trouble getting the modem to "provision" (geekspeak for "see the ISP") and he spent about 30 minutes with the home office before realizing he'd entered the wrong MAC info. Once that was squared away, he even took the time to ask me how familiar I was with the internet, and he set up some favorites for me (RR homepage of course, but he had a couple cool broadband content sites to share as well). I was up and running in under an hour, and my service has not been offline for more than 5 minutes since then (literally).

I can't say I've noticed any drop in bandwidth over the last 11 months either. I use VitalSigns' NetMedic to monitor throughput right out to the server on the other end, and the RR subnet has always consistantly provided PLENTY of headroom. No telling what will happen once the nodes start to fill up (and once people realize the benefits of digital internet service, the rush will be on) but given RR's oft-displayed 'can-do' attitude, I am confident any issues which come up will be dealt with quickly.

My only minor complaint (and it's a small one at that)...AT&T assumed ISP status as our local RR provider (from MediaOne) a couple months back. While I've only had to call technical support 4 times in my 11+ months as a subscriber, the last time was after the 'management change', and I was not impressed with this particular technician's method of dealing with my question. I was having some POP-3 e-mail issues (with an account other than the RR one), and I simply wanted to know how often their local DNS cache was refreshed. I guess this was a question beyond the techical scope of the person I had on the phone, but instead of transferring me to a 'level 2' technician, he simply set me down and asked around. Upon his return, I got answers ranging from 'monthly' to 'every 24 hours', and no offer of any follow-up from someone with the correct answer. I hung up more confused than I was when I first placed the call - not a situation you want your customers to find themselves in.

But without a doubt, I love my RoadRunner service. Those of you who've read through several of these postings can see I'm in the majority. If you're lucky enough to live in an area offering several competing broadband providers, I'd recommend serious consideration of your RoadRunner service provider.

Enjoy your time online!

-TS

member for 13.8 years, 31 visits, last login: 11.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by Grizzyboy See Profile

• Location: Riverview,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Fast, Reliable, good tech support, makes me happy!"
Overall "Good ISP is u don't got DSL or don't want it"

Pretty good, a litte bit of down time, and i had a weak signal, but they were up on that in an instant. I love my Road Runner!