Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by waylay1981 See Profile

• Location: Lincoln,Lancaster,NE

All I got to say is way far better than windstream and virgin moble

Comments:

Review by steevo22 See Profile

• Location: Fullerton,Orange,CA
Good "Faster than AT&T DSL or Uverse, by far"
Bad "Business practices"
Overall "I recommend TWC but only because they are the only game in town. If that sounds like a faint recommendation, it is. "

·AT&T DSL Service
I had AT&T DSL, very slow and inadequate, and they raised the price past what I could get TWC for. So I finally switched in frustration. See my review of AT&T for the continuing saga with them.

So anyway, I contacted TWC by phone. I really got the runaround, clearly the phone reps are all on commission and thus have a very significant conflict of interest both with the company and with their customers. I had a guy trying so hard to sell me a $139 a month package with home security, phone, internet and TV, I told him over and over I wouldn't be interested, finally hung up in disgust. He actively refused to sell me what I wanted.

Apparently the phone reps don't make enough money on a single service, so some at least avoid selling it. What a conflict of interest this is, and it amazes me that TWC allows this to exist. They are probably losing hundreds of millions of dollars because of it.

Course I am also amazed at how many people I meet cannot identify a clear conflict of interest when presented with one. I avoid them myself.

So I tried the online chat. That worked much better, I got my $34.99 a month 15 Meg internet and nothing else. The bill is exactly $34.99 too. No ups, no extras, no resort fees. Haha.

It's a few weeks later, and I have had to power cycle my cable modem twice, not sure why. Stopped working.

I have Directv for tv and I would be willing to change to TWC under certain circumstances. I tried the phone again, for some reason most of these companies prefer to do all their business by phone. I got the same runaround, trying to sell me a bunch of stuff I didn't want under any circumstances.

So I tried the chat again. That worked much better. The chat rep said I could get the standard TV (seems like a couple hundred channels) and my 15 meg internet for $64.99 a month. She mentioned that was good in that particular zip code and it was an amazing deal. I said fine, sign me up. She said "I am processing your order".

Very slow chat response, and I was ultimately disconnected. I tried the chat again the next day when I had time, I got another rep who offered me the same thing. I said fine, sign me up. I sat there for a while, she said "I am processing your order". After about 15 minutes, disconnected again.

The next day I chatted them again, asked if they had logs, the rep said yes, I said please read them and sign me up for what I ordered. He said "I am processing your order".

I got disconnected again! Geez.

A day later I tried again, this has been going on for about 5 days. The rep said "there is an order in the system for you, starter TV and 20 meg internet". I said I wouldn't be interested in paying TWC for OTA channels only, I get 78 channels on my antenna with a stunning picture, so no need to pay them for that. I again set the standards for what I wanted and how much I was willing to pay. He said that was not what the deal was right now, and did I want my order that was in the system. I said no, I didn't order that, cancel it.

Heh. Ridiculous.

So a few days later I get a phone call from TWC about my cancelled order. I told the rep what I was willing to take and how much I was willing to pay, she put me on hold and went to speak to a supervisor. I was of course disconnected, but she called back and said I could have something for $89 a month. I said no, I already told you what I was willing to take and what I was willing to pay. She hung up.

I remain here with my 15 meg internet and Directv.

I don't think the chat reps or the phone rep who called me had a conflict of interest, or not an obvious one like the phone reps I called had. Clearly they didn't want to take any orders that were not profitable for them even though the company clearly sold those products.

My advice to all companies is to be absolutely sure your customers, your employees and your company have their interests aligned. No conflicts of interest. The company must be losing many customers and lots of business by this flim-flam.

member for 11.5 years, 255 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

You're way off

As a former TWC rep. You have it all wrong as for conflict as well as the reps you speak with. The phone reps are suppose to attempt to upsell you, they are sales reps. Online reps are called retail reps for a 3rd party company. They handle all companies and always get the info wrong. 64.99 is the broadcast and turbo hsd, that has been their package for more than a year. Also, if you chat online you might want to check the packages that are available and know, if they have a online offer only, it means its a online offer only. That would be a retailer/authorize dealer.

Review by why60loss See Profile

• Location: Wake Forest,Wake,NC
Good "It was better than DSL "
Bad "60% packet loss, hardly ever got the upto speed, tech support=useless"
Overall "It may be better than DSL, but it still really bad"

I first signed up for Time warner cable in 2011 with a internet, TV and phone package for 99 a month, though I had used them before then and had them also after getting rid of AOL. I was told the install would be free, but then the tech wanted to charge for it due to more work needing to be done. Though even with that it only took less than 45min to set up and the internet did seem to work well after basic tests so he left. At the time I did get the at the time 10/1 speed I signed up for, but then as the days went by I began to have issues.

After two weeks I found my self rebooting the modem (The one Time warner gave me) almost every day to reconnect to the internet. Even after reboot web pages also would give me 404/5xx errors very often. I thought it was with my desktop, notebook and other notebook or that the internet just doesn't work that well because growing up I had to fix issues like this every day to very week so it had become the norm for me. I had only had cable, DSL and 56k so I thought it was okay for cable to need daily trouble shooting because at lest it somewhat kind of worked. Unlike AOL and DSL. In the case of DSL it would be down just about every day and I never got the "upto" speed. So I thought that 5min per day and 4-5hours of total nonworking down time was how cable internet was and that is just how it is. I really hated having to download any big files (2-4GB) because in most cases it would take all day and clog my connection, so I hated stuff like Steam and updates because I thought it was far to taxing on my middle of the road plain jane internet connection.

But then as the months went by I started to think how much of a pain this was, when most of the time the internet was really fast when I used my notebook at other places. It was night and day really. 404 type errors every other time on my home connection, yet on AT&T wifi 99% of the time it took less than one sec to get on web sites. At first I brushed it off as good luck on there part and thought that couldn't be the way it was most of the time. Stupid I know, but it's what I really thought at the time.

But as I had more and more guest that would ask to use my internet and then complain it wasn't working good/at all. I would ask something along the lines of, Is it just how cable is or doesn't your internet do this too a lot. Most would say yes they had issues but not to my extent. Then I had a friend come over who also had Time warner cable and seemed to agree with me that is just how Time warner cable is. He connected his laptop via hardwire into the modem and had issues getting to web pages. It was like shooting in the dark if the web page would come up or not. He said Time warner cable was bad for him, but this was even worse. I thought well I guess maybe I got a bad draw but cable is still mostly like this. Should maybe be a bit better but I wasn't going to get much better service if I called.

Then I ran into a Time warner cable Business class employee at my chess club and told him my story. He said that's just residential and that they don't need to uphold speed nor uptime. He said he wished he could help, but that was out of his hands. Though I could try my hand at CS and that he hoped they could help me with it. So I thought this really has been a pain and it would be nice if it had better uptime so I called Time warner cables customer service and was more or less told on the phone that it works fine it must be on my end and that there was no better ISP in my area anyway. This kind of got under my skin, so I pulled my AT&T phone out and decided to use it's 3G connection for my internet to see if it would work better. It was amazing to me how well it seemed to work, it was a far more stable connection than my cable line for internet. So I did that for about a month just to see what would happen, I used about 50GB on AT&T wireless on a unlimited data plan. It was almost how I thought the internet should be and then I thought, why am I even paying for cable internet anyways. So I called them and told them my story. They said first of all a phone connection was not ment to be used as your home internet and wired is faster. I said that's not what I am seeing and I would like to cut the cord. They then said that they would send some one to look at it.

I agreed because really I knew that if possible it was better to use wired. So the tech came out, rebooted the modem and used my PC to go to the Time warner cable speed test web page that showed me getting 20mbs download and 1mbs upload. He then said it was working better than what I am paying for. I told him to wait a second as I used it to go to google.com and boom 404. Went to bestbuy.com and boom 404. Then I tethered my AT&T cell phone via USB and went to those web sites and they loaded right on the spot. He didn't get what I did nor what I was trying to proof so I said he could leave. Mostly because I had desided that I would spilt usage between AT&T 3G and time warner cable to not suck up too much band with from AT&T. Though that didn't last long as I racked up 150GB enjoying using the internet on AT&T wireless. I don't know how much I used on time warner cable likely under 30GB though.

But I wanted faster speed, so I signed up for a Verizon unlimited data plan with 4G LTE. Though that had it's own set of issues it was still better than Time warner cable and I still have that service to this day. But that is a bit offtopic for now.

So as time went on, I got sick of paying for sometime that I could hardly use so I called Time warner cable again. This time I was told that I used a lot of internet and that cable isn't perfect. I said how much is a lot and they said 50GB was a lot. That up to just means that's the most I can get and as long as it works that's all they care about. (More or less telling me as long as you can get to the web page today at some time that they don't care.)

One day on my AT&T connection I went to a web site were some one had issues getting to web sites a lot like I did with there home internet and so some one said it could be packet loss. So I looked up ways to test it. I thought if that was the case I would find it to be like 10-20% like the other guy, but it was 58% to 60% every time on my Time warner cable internet line.

So I thought there was no way that could be right, so I called CS and when I told them they asked what is packet loss. I tried to explain it, but in truth I didn't know much about it as well because I am not a network person. They then told me only Business class gets 0% packet loss and that it doesn't matter for my residential connection so long as it "works". They then hung up.

I called 10 more times about the packet loss issue and all I got was they didn't know what that was, it didn't matter or my modem was fine. I was also dealing with Verizon tech support at the time so I was at the point again that I thought the internet just sucked and was still in testing/beta or something among those lines. AT&T then killed my unlimited data line for tethering after over a year of 100-150GB months. So I was left with two broken connections. How ever Verizon did fix it after many months on the phone with tech support and FCC intervention.

They after a few more times of calling did send a tech out and he replaced the modem saying it was bad. Still I had 58-60% packet loss and it went on and on intil I called and got one more tech who looked at the line going to the home. It was a used line that was spilt in half right down the middle. Replacing that helped a lot, But I still had to reboot the modem every day. Though my speeds no longer droped to sub 1mbs download nor did I have packet loss that high. But the issues never really went away.

Time warner cable left there network in the area to rot in he11. In Jan 2014 I moved out and disconnected service. It took hours to take back there stuff due to only two employees at there local office dealing with a line out the door.

member for 1.5 years, 138 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by nascar6969 See Profile

• Location: Moorpark,Ventura,CA
Overall "good internet"

Did my own install..(I,m a Twc installer).

Comments:

motoracer

join:2003-09-15
united state

Expensive

$555/month? Wow, you must have a fast connection.

Review by Grail Knight See Profile

• Location: Erie,Erie,PA
Good "Solid connection, consistent speed, good tech support on the rare occasion I need to use it."
Bad "Cost could be $5 lower for what one pays per month."
Overall "Beats Verizon by a long shot for this area."

·Verizon Online DSL
Moved to Road Runner after ditching the incredibly unreliable and slow Verizon DSL in my area.
As I have OTA TV I rely heavily on my ISP for service and so far the longest outage was under
12 hours and was weather related. TWC kept updating their phone outage reports throughout
the day as well.

Road Runner Tech Support has been very good so far. Night and day compared to Verizon DSL
customer service. It also seems much easier to contact humans at Road Runner support vs. Verizon which
was just plain bad.

As long as Road Runner remains an option for my area even if Comcast takes over they will remain my ISP of choice.
I would only go back to Verizon if they were the last ISP on the planet. Horrible customer service, weather effected outages
on their copper, and cost/speed was not all that great.

member for 10.9 years, 5859 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mckenna797 See Profile

• Location: Astoria,Queens,NY
Good "Speed ,Reliability, multiroom dvr ,phone, wideband 50/5"
Bad "none"
Overall "Love it"

We made the switch to road runner from Verizon Dsl due to the recent problems, poor customer support, email blocking

the installer was very good and called to see if he could come early and we said yes he was at our location 1 hour earlier he set up the wireless modem (ambit) for Road Runner and the Arris digital phone modem ( will be connected this Friday the 18th due to problems with verizon porting the telephone number to time warner)

in our living room with splitters, for the DTV Road Runner and digital phone all cable is in the living room there was slight signal problem and that afternoon a plant tech showed up to repair the problem our two computers our 50 and 75 ft from the wireless modem, the wireless adapters are usb at the Computers, our excellent both pc show excellent recive and 11mbps on bootup and the lowest i,ve seen was 2mbps when we are downloading on both pc so far everything is working great
here is a speed test using the wireless
Verizon speed test Site

Download Size: [500]KBytes
Downloaded in: [1.172]Seconds

Speak easy site
2005-03-14 06:21:27 EST: 3343 / 349
Your download speed : 3423388 bps, or 3343 kbps.
A 417.8 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 358230 bps, or 349 kbps.

March 18th
as promised the digital phone was connected today , we did to keep the number we had with verizon, the installers swithched one jack to a double jack one for the telephone modem and one is for the phone at the modem, they installed a three way spliter one leg to the telephone modem ,one to the wireless modem for road runner and one to the catv box, and they left one phone wall mount connected to the building telephone wireing for our building intercom system, sound quality is great infact had to turn the volume down on one phone , call id is working correctly all in all a good experiance whould recommend to friends and family almost forgot the internet speed is uneffected one on the phone
Oct 4,2005
not much to change in the review, things are still going great, had to call tech support to get my wifes new Dell 5100 connected to our wireless road runner, tech came out set it up for her and was very pleasent and knew his stuff, while he was here he also tweaked my pc a Emachine 3265 also a wireless connection and works like a charm, all in all still very happy with Road Runner

Feb 26th 2006
I just got a new Dell for Myself , Just plugged in the Wireless Linksys 802.11g adapter and road runner was up and running i also have the provided usb adapter on the old emachine and still works great ,as a side note my wireless speed have been preatty constant 4800kbps and recently exceeded 5000 + kbps.is Road runner getting ready to roll out a New Speed Upgrade looking at the almost daily routine maintance listed on the support web site

Sept 18th 2006

Time warner has unofficially upgraded my speed to 7000 down/512 up
and I have had these speeds for a couple of weeks now, my wifes pc with the wireless g usb 2.0 adapter connecting to the Ambit wireless Modem is getting speeds of 6700+ as are my Dell and the old Emachine through the Linksys befw11s4 we have left over from our Verizon Dsl Days connected to the Ambit via ethernet cable 100ft run all and all we are still very happy with Time Warner here in Western Queens

December 1 2006
Well Its time for a update
TW upped our internet speed via road Runner to 10/512 last week we have switched to a belkin Wired router and all is great speed tests are at or near the new speeds

Feb 8th
Well it is time to update my review of Road Runner and Digital Phone, and sadto say things have degraded, Since December 2006, we have had lots of intermittant drop outs of Phone and Road Runner When its windy and techs say there is no problems or loose connections, And every Night we Have the peak time slow downs

May 21 2007
Well we just got and HD tv so went to TW queens center office and turned in the sa digital box we had for the sa HD-DVR box , got it home and hooked it up,
Self install came withe component video cable and rf cable No HDMI or Composite cables the dvr was new,) picked up hdmi cable really easy setup and the picture quality on sd and hd is what can i Say WOW excellent could not ask for more, still have all the other services and still am very satisfied also the road runner upgrade to 10/512 was a plus and have had no problems since Feburary when the upgrades were a work in progress

Mar 21
The site asked for an update ,
preatty much things have been stable with RR, we had some problems withlost connection and speed all over the place , we switched to a new router as the belkin router turned out to be the cause of the problems . we now have a D-Link DLG-4100 Gigabit router had it two weeks and no lost connections speeds are always in the range of 8500-10000, the lowest i have seen is 7500+,

the site asked for an update
everything is still good now have powerboost and it works as advertised,
12/16/2010

We Had signature home Installed yesterday. Installers 2 were great new their stuff
they replaced all the cable in the house installed the 2 cisco 8642hdc dvr's the surfboard 6580 wideband modem and connected it to my dlink dir-825 router, we still have are arris modem for phone every thing works fine all speed tests are at 50/5 ,] multi room dvr is working great Installer explained everything and set up modem so i have acsess to all the info and config pages they also left a lot of info pamphlets »www.speedtest.net/result/1655116258.png

1/2/2012
We have had signature home since 12 16 2011 still working great 50/5 wideband is great no slow downs or disconnects during prime time speeds are always at 50/5

08/08/2013
time for an update
Still with Signature Home things are still working fine, TWC replaced the line coming into the Apartment(squrriels ate it, , we asked the tech if we could get a combo Modem and he went to his truck and gave us the Arris TG862G. things are working fine and we just got a speed increase

2/13/2014
the site has asked me to update my review.
the only things that have changed are our internet speed increased to 100mbps down but I get about 113 down
and we added an hdhomerun prime so got a cable card and tuning adaptor an works great

member for 9.6 years, 5201 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Millenium See Profile

• Location: Fredonia,Chautauqua,NY
Good "Affordable and reliable"
Bad "Statements stop if you pay in advance"
Overall "The internet connection is great. Wish I could get statements showing what I'm being charged."

02/13/14 UPDATE=====

I was rewarded a surprise for paying several months of service in advance: No statements, online or via mail, for as long as the credit lasts. No way to see what I'm being charged, nothing. I lowered the services rating a little for lack of billing clarity. It's as opaque as lead at this point. I don't have this problem paying my electric, gas, or Netflix in advance. Nor with the DSL service I had prior to Time Warner Cable.

ORIGINAL REVIEW=====

Ordered their new $14.99/month "Everyday Low Price" 2/1 internet. On the day I signed up they recorded and assigned the MAC ID of the modem I bought from Walmart. They gave me a 1 hour window for installation and arrived right on time. Installation was without issue.

Everything is great so far. Netflix works great at the lower speed with video settings on low, requiring less than a Mbit of bandwidth. I have noticed I do sometimes get a video pause for extra buffering right after starting a video. After this initial pause there are no other delays throughout the video.

I signed up during a free installation promo, but was erroneously charged $47.99 for installation. The charge was later removed after contacting customer service.

member for 176 days, 98 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

JimMcCoy

join:2011-08-20
Jacksonville, NC

FYI

Bills are not sent out / generated, if you have a credit on the account greater than your billing price.

Review by quixote See Profile

• Location: Port Hueneme,Ventura,CA
Good "none"
Bad "monopoly"
Overall "atrocious service at a high price"

Roadrunner / Time Warner Cable is the only option in my neighborhood. I don't need TV for anything, but I can't get just broadband. I'm paying for "premium" high-speed service, and my speeds are regularly 10% or even less of what's in the contract. I think, maybe, four times in five years have I seen it briefly hit the level I'm paying for.

I contacted RoadRunner tech support once because I needed information on potentially getting a static IP. The responder didn't even know what that meant, nor did the question ever get moved on up to someone who did. (The issue was resolved by my hosting service.)

On some forums, my contributions have sometimes been refused because IPs in the range used by SoCal RoadRunner are at the top of the list of known spam sources. Apparently, they do absolutely nothing about this. (Although it hasn't happened over the past year.) (Update 2011-04-24: It became a huge problem again in mid-2010.)

Knock on wood, I haven't had any outright repair issues so far. If I did, judging by their level of service and responsiveness generally, I'd have to move to get broadband again.

=================================================

Update, 2011-04-24: A couple of months ago, I started participating in a FCC / Samknows (»www.testmyisp.com/) program in which the government is getting data on the actual speed of broadband connections.

Strangely, the FCC lets the ISP know who is participating. Before I even had the supplied router hooked up, my IP changed, I suddenly never had problems being blocked as a spam address, and my connection speeds were regularly as advertised (1 mbps up, 8-10mbps down). Rarely, they'd fall all the way down to what used to be the fastest speeds I ever saw in the old days (eg 1 mbps down).

I'm sure this sudden I-get-what-I-pay-for has nothing to do with the FCC watching.... :rollseyes:

==================================================

Aaannnd another update: Feb 11, 2014. I had to move recently and my new address can also get service from ATT. Sort of like having a choice between Dracula and Frankenstein, but, hey, choice! So I was going to cancel service and switch. Suddenly, Time Warner cared that they were losing a customer. They gave me a much better deal at the new place ... ....

But when the bill arrived they charged me BOTH for new service installation and transfer of old service, and charged me my old monopoly monthly fee, $64.99, for standard service that is supposed to cost $39.99 in this location without any special deal at all. (I've always used my own equipment, so rental of theirs is not included in that.)

Cue hours of my life lost on the phone. Customer service reps "fix" the problem, and then the bill shows up with the SAME DAMN OVERCHARGES. And, of course, since it's all on the phone, TWC can keep changing their story and there's no paper trail except my notes.

I finally started doing everything in writing, refused to deal with them by phone, and practically had to make a Federal case out of it. Once there was a threat of legal involvement, they got an actual human being to look at the whole thing and it was resolved.

There aren't enough negative numbers to rate their service.

Comments:

Review by desertratps See Profile

• Location: Cathedral City,Riverside,CA
Good "Speed delivered is as advertised."
Bad "No high Speed - Really only delivering 2MB down and 250kb(.25MB) up"
Overall "In reality very slow."

All of the ISP's advertise in Mbps in reality 20 Mbitsps=2 Megabytes and an upload of 2Mbps=256k(.25MB). They play a numbers game. TWC in the Palm Springs area only offers a max of 5MB down and .5MB (500 kb) up. It is no wonder the USA has some of the slowest service in the world.

Comments:
ipwn3r456

join:2013-07-31
Los Angeles, CA

I wonder if you know the differences between bits and bytes?

What do you mean TWC is playing the numbers game? Almost every single ISP in the USA is listing speeds in bits, not bytes, because information are based on basic binaries that is either 0 or a 1. Remember, 1 byte = 8 bits. So 20 mbps = 2.5MB/s, 2mbps = 250KB/s.

Review by epicam1981 See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
Good "Super Fast, Very Stable"
Bad "When it goes down.. it won't come up for an hour or two"
Overall "Great service and affordable price."

I have the 75/5 and can't be more satisfied with the service. The only thing is they need to send someone out to switch out your modem for a DOCSIS 3.0 modem... no self-install option is available.

I am also now able to pull an IPv6 address