Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by lincolnlogs See Profile

• Location: Brea,Orange,CA
Good "fast broadband speeds, friendly customer service"
Bad "does not respond well to outages, very expensive"

I have twc, and am considering dropping it as soon as a viable alternative arises. The fact that a customer of 8 years has to wait 48 hours for service for a total service outage is beyond ridiculous. If you can, avoid twc.

Comments:

Busboy

@174.239.226.x

Time warner cable

Don't deal with this company it blows terrible customer service and ripoff too bad comcast can't be everywhere

DocsisCat
join:2013-10-10
Princeton, TX

... TWC ...

Location: Dallas, TX.
Cost: $178. month. (TV & 10-MBps Internet)

They have raised my rate twice in the past 4 months. $12. each.

Review by bandit90 See Profile

• Location: Cincinnati,Hamilton,OH
Good "Good connection relaibility, whole house dvr"
Bad "You have to pay to extra to get decent support and not to be transfered to a foreign call center aka Signature Home"
Overall "Prices are high but if you need a reliable connection and or latest technology Time Warner Cable is your best option"

Time Warner Cable so far has been a good experience with their Signature Home Service in regards to the support. I do not like the fact that I have to pay for decent support that is not outside the united states and that they also know how to do their job. Not only that if you do not subscribe to their Signature Home be prepared to wait for an appointment, it could be a week or longer. The final straw at last before I gave in and paid for support, I already should be getting. I was always being routed to the Caribbean no mater when I called in it was always the Caribbean. Other than that their service's so far have been rock solid.

Comments:

Review by Millenium See Profile

Comments:

JimMcCoy

join:2011-08-20
Jacksonville, NC

FYI

Bills are not sent out / generated, if you have a credit on the account greater than your billing price.

Review by Steven94 See Profile

• Location: Jackson Heights,Queens,NY
Good "Decent price for 100/5, provisioned slightly higher at around 115/6, no caps"
Bad "Significant slowdowns during peak times *Fixed, impending Comcast merger"
Overall "Only option available other than DSL and Wireless. Decent service."

For the price the service isn't that bad for 50/5 service. There is currently an issue with my Node/CMTS which causes the slowdown at peak times but once that's fixed, I should be back to solid reliable service.

Update February 2014:

Speeds were upgraded to 100/5. Service is still unreliable due to the still unresolved Node/CMTS utilization issue. It is now about 5 months in since this issue started. I would love to use the speeds that I am subscribed to but I can only do so during hours that I don't use the internet. On weekdays, from around 5PM, it slows down significantly to speeds that are not even half of my previous tier 50/5. On weekends, it is consistently slow throughout the whole day. I have been receiving $30 credits for this issue but that was after a complaint filed with the NYC DoITT (my local franchising authority) and the FCC. Still no ETA on when a fix will be implemented. Will update when that happens.

Update April 2014:

Now 6 months in, and I was informed by Client Relations that my node will be split and all I can do is wait. Hopefully this will happen soon as the issue still persists. No ETA on when the work will be completed.

Update April 24, 2014:

Finally, after about 7 months, service seems to be back to normal. As an added benefit, it appears the "Maxx" upgrade is imminent as I now have 16x4 bonding now. I now get speeds slightly higher than what I am subscribed to at about 113 Mbps Down and 6 Mbps Up. Speeds also remain relatively consistent throughout the day.

Comments:

Review by silverforte See Profile

• Location: Kannapolis,Cabarrus,NC
Good "When it works, it works okay."
Bad "It doesn't work often"
Overall "US will never have functional internet"

The US has never had decent internet services compared to the rest of the world. Places like Korea or Japan where decent internet is offered at REASONABLE prices, and it actually WORKS. I had to deal with Windstream's bullshit for years. Dozens of phone calls, usually lasting an hour or more at a time, techs with attitudes coming over and telling me there was nothing wrong with the line despite actual proof I had that there was packet loss and dealing with people on this website who refused to believe there was any packet loss in my network despite hours upon hours I spent producing results in the form of smokepings, tracerts, pathpings, screenshots of game latency meters and more. Eventually, they took remote control of a neighbor to fix a problem they had and noticed the packet loss for themselves, then admitted to me that it was an issue and still did not fix it. Now, I switch to Time Warner internet. 12 down, 1 up. Does it work?

No. I can just barely buffer the first 60 seconds of a youtube video and, sometimes, nothing at all. Not even Google. It spikes, it goes out just enough that it seems like I'm getting a trickle of bandwidth but it isn't 100% off. So, I go from this nightmare with Windstream to the same thing with Time Warner. I even bought a router recently so I could better monitor the traffic in the line and put better security on it as I try my best to track the issue down since the fucking companies can't do it. And then what happens? I get told by people on this website that I will be receiving a call from a tech at TW who would relay information about the checks they supposedly did on my line. The guy calls, BARELY speaks English and tells me there is nothing wrong with my line about 15 times as if he was reading a script.

I have proof in front of me from multiple sources that there are nodes on my network that have latency issues and dropped packets repeatedly, not just once or twice. Almost every time I ping a network, packets are dropped. I'm getting NOWHERE with this company! It seems like no matter what you get, in the US, you're going to have problems! The issues are across the board with these ISPs. People who say they don't have problems are just not aware of them. Perhaps they don't know enough about the systems to realize there is an issue, perhaps they don't use the internet hard enough or often enough to really test the system and bring the issues out to the surface, but they are there. This merger just makes this situation worse. This country needs to get its act together! You ISPs can only milk people for so long! When the tides turn, you'll be left high and dry if you don't get in shape!

Comments:
silverforte

Techs

I forgot to mention that the techs were extraordinarily rude and did not want to rip up the old lines from 5+ years ago and install new ones until we insisted. Then, the line is basically just sticking out of a hole in the wall about 2 ft off the ground, the disc that prevents air from getting through the hole around the wire is falling off and both the boxes outside the house were left wide open.

I was on the microphone over Xbox live with a friend in the same state as me about an hour away who also has TWC. He has packet loss as well. Both of us lost connection to the internet the other day at the same time and it came back. It has been happening repeatedly. It's not just me!

Re: Techs

Not all the US has total crap for internet. When I was on Time warner cable I thought that the internet must still be a beta product it was so bad. Century link also was total crap.

Comcast how ever does work and gives speeds at lest some what fitting for 2014. You can read my own reviews if you want.

Re: Techs

US is 10th in world ranking for internet reliability. Your one experience doesn't change the facts. Every single person I know has terrible internet problems. People I know in different states, people on different coasts. It doesn't matter if 'not all' of the US has bad internet. Enough of it does that it's a problem.

said by silverforte:

I never disagreed that the US has an internet problem. In fact I was trying to agree that the USA needs to get it's crap together.

Time warner cable doesn't care how high your packet loss is they won't fix it and century link well if it works at all then you hit the jack pot. Or if your only getting 1/10 of the upto speed, but hey you can "upgrade" to the next highest tier for $5 less for your "trouble".

Comcast is guilty of overselling there network to the point I only get 1/3 of the upto speed at any given time day or night.

I had a tech from TWC who didn't want to replace the cable out side the home that had split in half.

Trust me when I say I know the US has a real internet issue that needs to be fixed. Most of the US feels like they are still beta testing the internet in 2014 and that is just beyond reason at this point in the modern world.

Re: Techs

I'm actually barely able to get online at this point. I think the packet loss has subsided but now my modem resets itself randomly about 10 times a day, my phone doesn't work randomly and our TV channels sometimes don't come in or are distorted. A field tech replaced my modem, took the battery out of the new one and left without checking the box across the road. Nothing was fixed.

said by silverforte:

That sounds likely due to packet loss, good luck getting the time warner cable mob of NC to fix it. I know how much they suck due to living with TWC's crap for over 10 years.

I would get 404 more than %50 of the time even when TWC said "its working fine". Some web pages after trying to stay on to long like google thought I was DOS attacking them and lock me out for a few hours by IP address.

The issue is even worse here in NC than in other places like NYC or LA. They treat towns with no choice like dirt and the techs for the most part simply just do not give a dump. One tech even told me "It's not like you have a choice, be glad you get internet at all".
For those who chose there own fears over liberty will only dig them self's deeper into the pit of darkness. For those who chose to blame tools over each other for wrong doing, it will only lead to madness. -Unknown

Re: Techs

Dead on. NC is a terrible state for internet. I've moved 3 times since I got back in NC in 2008. All three residents, I went between Windstream and timewarner trying to get functional internet. Not one fucking time in my life since 2008 have I been able to accomplish that. The techs never know what to do, they get rude if you present them with a situation that they are not capable of dealing with and nothing ever gets done. Can you imagine how much time and money they could save themselves if they just fixed the issues the first time? If they actually put more effort into checking the lines and diagnosing problems?

Review by Snowy See Profile

• Location: Kailua,Honolulu,HI
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (month by month)
Good "Oceanic Cable Vision is the local provider for TimeWarner, this provides a more local avenue for problem resolution"
Bad "Customer perks are available, but not apparent to most customers"
Overall "Hawaii Telcom has become the new DSL provider in my area & I assume they'll give RR a run for the money."

·Clearwire Wireless
There's no question that in The State of Hawaii TWC (Oceanic Cable) is the go to ISP.
Their competitor's best speed is slower than TWC basic.
If you're not fast you're last.

Oceanic (TWC) finally has some competition in the Speed Dept.
hawaiiantel.com is offering:
Fiber 500
High-Speed Internet
Up to 500 Mbps download
Up to 50 Mbps upload
While TWC's fastest plan offers 100 Mbps/5 Mbps
Too bad the now faster speed is offered by hawaiiantel.com which IMO is plagued by incompetent service issues due to the unmotivated, under trained CSR's that don't give a shit about hawaiiantel.com & even less for it's customers.
If you enjoy over billing, extended outages, extremely long telephone hold times, missed service appointments then hawaiintel.com may be a good option to Oceanic.
hawaiiantel.com's 500Mbps/50Mbps is priced @ $345/month with the added value being the McAfee Internet Security Software it comes with

member for 11.3 years, 6372 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

ranchocal

@verizon.net

I dunno

Looks like Hawaiian Tel is turning their service around while TWC is letting the trainwreck that is Comcast absorb it. I sense a slight bias in this review.

Snowy
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
·Clearwire Wireless

Re: I dunno

said by ranchocal :

I sense a slight bias in this review.

I must have understated my total contempt for hawaiiantel.com.
An office move a few years back was planned to most miniscule detail for a seamless transition.
hawaiiantel.com took 2 weeks to move the phone lines which almost bankrupted me.
Considering the wiring was supposed to be completed a week prior to move in, not 2 weeks after the move, I am an acknowledged vocal opponent of hawaiiantel.com.

The CS support is humorous in retrospect.
Me: "You're 3 days late getting my phone service up & running - it's killing me - when will the service get installed?
Them: "You're service was installed last week - it must be the wiring within your office - we are not responsible for them once installed
Me: "That's the problem - no one has been here to install anything
Them: "Our records indicate otherwise..."
2 frigging weeks to convince them that their records were incorrect.

Review by iansltx See Profile

• Location: Austin,Travis,TX
Good "As-advertised speeds, quick/easy install, reliable"
Bad "Installation/support issues, high price even with owned modem"
Overall "No other good options in this area...yes, this is a good option"

·Verizon Online DSL
UPDATE 4-16-14

Over the past few days TWC has been down for a fair amount. Last night, the downtime was measured in hours.

But when the service came back online (around 3am), I got this:

»imgur.com/mIORvx3

Speed tests register about 56.7 Mbps down and 5.6 Mbps up at this point. So no Maxx upgrades just yet, but my area is certainly ready for them (the only reason I don't see more downstream channels is that my modem doesn't support 'em).

UPDATE 8-10-13

Got my latest bill. As expected, I'll be paying around $11 more than before, with the total coming to just shy of $96 per month. Technically the dollars-per-megabit is negligibly higher thanks to the overprovisioning boost a week ago. But the service is still quite expensive, whatever way you slice it. And I've been having disconnection issues due to low SNR over the past few days.

UPDATE 8-6-13

On the 3rd I rebooted my modem to get a 10% speed boost; TWC no longer does PowerBoost but is now overprovisioning the speeds of their tiers at 15/1 and higher. There are times where I don't quite get those speeds, but at other times I'm hitting closer to 55/5.5 than 50/5. Nothing huge, but still nice.

Other than that, no upgrades to the plant that I can see. My modem SNR is actually down a bit from before...only 36-37 dB. My connection is still reliable, but it wouldn't take much to kill this reliability.

I got a letter in the mail today saying that TWC had extended the promo price of my tier...sort of. The amount I pay is going up by $10/mo, but that puts me at $90 (plus taxes and fees, so the upcharge will be more like $10.83) rather than $105. As such, I'll probably stick with my 50/5 tier, as the new promo rate is good until this time next year. Hopefully I'll be on Google Fiber by then, as paying nearly $100 for 50/5 isn't my idea of a fun time.

UPDATE 6-29-13

A month or two ago I ordered an SB6141 and returned the TWC-provided gateway, so now my bill is $85 instead of $89 (soon to be $90, or even more). The company messed up something with provisioning, such that I was offline for an hour and change the day I returned the modem, but they fixed it.

Service is still reasonably reliably and speedy, and TWC isn't complaining about the ~340GB that I've transferred this month (much of it uploads due to reseeding/updating online backups). However during peak hours Twitch.tv and YouTube become an utter buffer-fest at higher bitrates, unless I tunnel to SoftLayer or the like.

I'll probably downgrade to 30/5 as soon as my promo pricing wears off (probably after this coming billing cycle), unless TWC offers to extend the promo pricing. The extra 20 Mbps of download speed is nice, but uploads are where I'm really hurting, and the 50 Mbps plan doesn't offer any benefit to that end...so I wait impatiently for Google Fiber to solve that problem.

UPDATE 11-12-12

According to my latest bill, Austin now has the $3.95 modem rental fee (plus tax), boosting the price I'm paying for 50/5 to $89.32 per month. I'll be ordering a Zoom 5341J modem pretty soon to avoid this rental fee, and I'll come out ahead within 20 months of that purchase (less if TWC hikes modem rental rates again).

According to TWC's meter, I used 172, 202 and 148 GB of data in August, September and October, respectively. So far this month I've used 162 GB due to my backup partial reseed. Those numbers sound accurate, given what I've been doing on my 'net connection, and they don't matter too much anyway since my tier is still uncapped. If you work things out, my cost per gigabyte is between 40 and 50 cents...more than I'd pay on AT&T with one of their 250GB plans, but also more reliable and faster (17x faster on downloads, 7x faster on uploads, accounting for DSL overhead).

UPDATE 11-10-12

Service still appears to be humming along. I'll be reseeding a backup this month but am not worried that TWC will get onto me about that since I don't do heavy downloading/uploading during peak periods (it's either afternoons before everyone gets home or late at night). At any rate, there's no cap.

The only times I get high latency is when I'm pegging the connection in one or both directions. Which is right now, since I'm pulling 6 MB/s on a few parallel downloads. Otherwise, the connection is completely snappy. For example, pings to a California game server are ~59ms and Netflix buffers in a couple seconds and switches to HD after well under a minute (probably the fault of Netflix more than the cable connection that it takes that long).

Again, I'm pretty much a captive audience for TWC...I'm not going to switch to 3M AT&T DSL or throttled, latency-ridden Clear WiMAX (or throttled/capped cellular or satellite service). Grande Communications, which I'd switch to in a heartbeat if they were available, isn't available in this part of town, and the remaining options all cost hundreds of dollars per month (MegaPath EoC or whatever). So TWC it is.

UPDATE 8-17-12

Service appears to be performing as expected. Speeds are in the high forties or low fifties down, 5 Mbps up. I may run Ethernet to make sure I get full speeds...since I'm on a 2.4GHz-only router in an apartment complex, the last few feet may be my weak link.

I checked my bill just now (after signing up for TWC PayXpress and turning off paper billing) and TWC overcharged me by $1.77 on its last credit card payment, leaving me with a $21.77 service credit. The other $20 was applied by TWC's Twitter team as an apology for the installation coordination issues...I'd rather have had no issues with the install than $20, but I'll take it!

As far as what I'm actually paying, it looks like standard Internet service here in Austin is $54.99 per month. Add Another $50 for 50/5, then take away $25 due to the promo I'm on. Modem rental ($2.50), taxes ($3.12) and fees (a regulatory cost recovery charge of 36 cents) bring my total to $85.97 per month for my first twelve months of service.

So if I was in Comcast territory where FiOS was available or nearby, I could get faster service (50/10) for a comparable price (including modem rental, I think)...and I'm paying more for TWC 'net access than AT&T charges for any of their DSL tiers...but for where I am this isn't the worst deal ever.

Speaking of what AT&T charges for their DSL tiers, I could get the highest-end service that's available here for $19.95 per month for twelve months, if I commit to a year contract. But it's 3M down, 768K up at best so that's not happening (and TWC offers its 3M plan for $19.99 per month for the first twleve months with no contract anyway). It's extra annoying that no high speeds are offered here because there's a VRAD ust down the block from the entrance to my apartment complex, along with buried fiber optical cable warnings on the streets nearby. Guess the phone lines in here must be really, really screwy to keep that VRAD from serving me at 18 Mbps over, say, two pairs (so 5000 wire feet).

ORIGINAL REVIEW (8-15-12)

In this particular apartment complex (NW Austin), AT&T provides DSL and TWC provides cable. Unfortunately, AT&T tops out at 3 Mbps at my particular apartment, so for telecommuting, gaming, etc. that wasn't going to work. Since I had 50/15 connectivity from Comcast in Colorado (see my review of them), I decided to go for TWC's 50M tier (5M up). I dont need the extra download speed, but I heard rumblings that TWC will upgrade the tier's upload speeds, something that I'd find quite handy for transferring large files/photos/videos (hence my having 50M service in Colorado).

ORDERING & INSTALLATION

I ordered service in late July, as early as I could for an expected mid-August install (I moved into my new apartment on the 14th, so an install on the 15th was ideal). The 50/5 tier, Internet-only, came to $82.49 per month including modem rental and after a $20 discount (which lasts one year). Installation was either cheap ($50) or free.

I received an e-mail from TWC a day or two later asking me to reschedule my install...I had picked 8/16 (valid on Time Warner Cable's website) but apparently the schedule didn't actually go out that far. I rescheduled for the 13th temporarily; I would call them back to reschedule for after the 14th later.

A week and a half or so prior to my install, I called up TWC again to reschedule. The customer service rep's English could use work, but I gathered that he had rescheduled me for 8/15 at 8am. Perfect! Or not...

On the 13th, while I was still not in my apartment quite yet, I got a couple voicemails from TWC (my phone was off at that point). I found out by a follow-up call to them that the installation reschedule request didn't take, something I hadn't been notified about. On that same call, I rescheduled the install as early as was then possible: 1-3pm on Saturday.

This was far less than ideal, and the scheduling snafu wasn't my fault, so I contacted TWC via Twitter. They put a tech supervisor on the situation and I got a call several hours later letting me know that I'd have an installer by in the 10am window on the 15th, pending availability. I thanked the supervisor and ended the call.

This morning (8/15) I got an e-mail from TWC stating that the insatllation was complete, though no tech had yet showed. Calls to TWC's automated system listed my order as complete (no additional info) as well. A call to a TWC support rep cleared things up: one system still had the 8/13 install date set, and my tech would arrive in the 8a-noon window.

At just before 10am, a TWC tech called me and let me know that he was arriving. The first part of his installation job was outside my apartment. Having finished that, he came inside around 10:25am. By 10:45, he was gone and the Motorola SBG6580 he brought with him was serving up my 50/5 connection. I then logged into the modem (admin/motorola are the default username/password), disabled NAT and turned off wireless connectivity, effectively turning the gateway into a bridged modem without needing to call TWC to get them to make the change. The wireless on the gateway seemed to work fine for the few minutes that I used it, but I trust my Amped Wireless R10000G more (and, while the Motorola was able to just barely provide advertised speeds over wireless, the Amped actually exceeds those speeds).

In short, the install itself was fine (though I tidied up some cables after the tech left). The scheduling for it wasn't a pleasant process, but TWC ended up getting things done when I wanted them to, so I can't fault them too much.

STATS

My 8x4 (DS/US) bonding capable gateway is currently bonding four downstream channels (roughly 42dB SNR and between -1 and -3 dBmV power levels)...and not bonding upstreams. I'm sitting on a 3.2MHz-wide channel that's probably modulating at 16QAM. This makes me concerned about whether I'll be able to get my full 5 Mbps of upload speed at all times, but things seem fine so far.

As I mentioned, speed tests show that I'm getting my full (50 Mbps down, 5 Mbps up) provisioned speed, with no PowerBoost or other shenanigans. I can actually hit above 50 Mbps for download speeds to some servers, though in other cases I'm below 50. It averages out to be a fast connection though, right at what I'm paying for.

Latency and jitter aren't rock-solid like you'd see on a well-groomed FastPath DSL line or FTTH, however both figures are pretty good, with 10ms to TWC Austin core and a few milliseconds of jitter. So VoIP and gaming shouldn't be an issue at all, though TWC routes a lot of their traffic over Cogent, which may not take the most direct route to a given website. Due to backbone-level decisions, I've seen connections that "feel" faster (for example, LTE on my Sprint phone in Fort Worth), however the TWC connection feels faster than my Comcast connection did, and non-Powerboosted speeds should allow me to do better QoS so that I can game and upload photos at the same time

member for 7.4 years, 3216 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Angry TWC

@rr.com

TWC SUX

When I first got them, they were $47 a month,(I own my own modem) They increase your bill every couple months, and now its almost $60, all the while the speeds go down. I'm on 10/1mb. When TWC (The WORST Cable) picked up Adephia, when they all went to prison, they plugged Buffalo into the already oversubscribed Rochester-->East system. In evenings, theres no possible gaming its so slow while everyone downloads their Netflix. I nominally average 3-4mb while I pay for 10. Theres no competition in town, Versleazon wont put FIOS in the cities, just the rich suburbs. We're working with the state to sue them for discriminatory practices.

built

@rr.com

New residential

Where can I buy a gutter box for my exterior wall that recieves service and excepts house cabling?

Review by DinnerOut See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "The price at 34.99 is OK"
Bad "Their customer service is awful"
Overall "I'm scared when and if it tuns into Comcast"

In a new place, own my own modem. The service has been alright.

Their billing and customer service is awful. Updated an auto pay credit card and they still billed my old card, took an act of Congress to get it refunded, and they refund the wrong card.

I am very close to calling WOW.

Comments:

Review by stopka See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "Very pleased with the service."
Bad "Can I get faster speed for the same price ? :)"
Overall "Performed very well and hope to see it maintain as such."

I moved into my apartment about 3 months ago and set up my Time Warner internet service over the phone. They came in about 2 days. I had purchased a cable modem at Best Buy and thus did not have to pay the extra charge to *rent* Time Warner's modem. I only had them install the internet service and the tech did it very well and I have been pleased for 3 months now. I usually run speed tests and am always pleased to see I get constant speeds of what they are advertising to me. No outages as of yet. We are heavy Netflix users on 2 separate televisions so we usually download about 300 GIG a month. (I hope there isn't a monthly cap because they haven't hit me up with one yet..)

Comments:
ernliz

join:2001-11-25
Albemarle, NC

TWC's service, for now...

Same here in Albemarle.....good, consistent service. But Comcast is on the horizon and perhaps we should worry about their soon-to-be monopoly in this area.

Review by ElJay See Profile

• Location: Portland,Cumberland,ME
Good "Speed is what I ordered"
Bad "Ordering and install took hours on the phone"
Overall "Now that it is going, I hope it just works"

I recently moved and sadly Time Warner Cable is the only broadband option in my new location. I am too far away from the central office for any usable DSL and I do not have line of sight to connect to our local WISP.

The sales and ordering process was not good. I called to establish TV and internet service. The previous occupants of the house had recently cancelled service, which left a work order out there that was somehow blocking me in Time Warner's system from signing up for new service. The guy on the phone tried to clear it, but he couldn't do anything until we waited an hour and it filtered out of the system. I called back an hour later, somehow got the same guy again, and we continued where we left off. It still took another forty five minutes on the phone to get to the point of done because of various system difficulties they seemed to be experiencing.

I decided to bring my own modem which I purchased off of their approved modem list, which allows me to avoid their $6/mo modem lease fee. In retaliation for this decision, it took over an hour on the phone with them to activate my modem. I was passed between seven different people. After forty seven minutes on the line, one of them deliberately hung up on me because he supposedly couldn't hear me. Before that I was transferred erroneously to the billing department. One person didn't seem to understand the difference between a modem and a cable box. Across all of these different people, I had to tell each one the phone number on my account and at least four different people the MAC address on the modem. Luckily, for the last guy I was dealing with, I eventually found a slip of paper I received when I got my cable box that had my account number on it. This tidbit of information seemed to be the gateway to getting activated. This last guy still took twenty minutes to get it working, but at least their network actually let me pass data now.

The speed is very solid and matches what I ordered. I just hope that I never have to call them up again.

join:2014-01-06

Fiendishly clever plan to stonewall BYOM provisioning.

It does seem that they were annoyed that you chose to BYOM, and it wouldn't surprise me for one second that TWC makes it difficult to provision your own modem hoping that after a few failed tries you will submit to renting one of their own. Utter bullshite if you ask me, and very deliberate.

I would have called their executive office and told them about your experience, it isn't rocket science to provision a modem.