Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by AhnHEL See Profile

• Location: Bayside,Queens,NY
Good "Reliable, consistent service"
Bad "Expensive"
Overall "Decent service, wish wideband was cheaper"

·Optimum Online
Jumped ship from TWC to FIOS. Enjoying the better Upload speeds and lower latency that FIOS provides.

member for 14.2 years, 2957 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by lms See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Great Performance. Maybe one outage a year."
Bad "Recovery from an outage once took the entire weekend."
Overall "Great performance and reliability"

I have had my service with Time Warner for over 10 years (Media One, Comcast, Time Warner) and wouldn't switch for anything short of Fiber.

I rarely have an outage and when I do it usally is restored in a couple of hours (Once there was a two day wait over the weekend) and CS is always friendly and helpful.

Comments:

Review by iansltx See Profile

• Location: Austin,Travis,TX
Good "Fast speeds, available where I live, Tier 3 customer service is great"
Bad "Must rent your modem for 16x4 for now, expensive"
Overall "Thanks to the Maxx upgrade, this is a pretty good option now"

·Verizon Online DSL
UPDATE 8-9-14

A few days ago I logged into my desktop remotely because I saw a friend in the area saying that his internet speed had been upgraded to Maxx (he's on 200/20). Sure enough, mine had been as well...well, as much as TWC will let a SB6141 do (100 down, 10 up). When I got back home, I swapped back in the TWC-provided Arris modem I've had since Maxx started in the area (just not for me), tried activating it, and was given a failure message, followed by "call this number if you have issues, or this number if you're in NYC, or this number if you're in Austin or LA." I called the Austin/LA number and got a friendly, reasonable knowledgeable guy on the other end of the line to activate the modem. After he got it running, he transferred me to a San Antonio-based gal in Tier 3 Support who switched the gateway to bridge mode so my own router could get a public IP address (lost v6 though ).

So now I can do this:

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3679312732

Not too happy about having to rent a 16x4 modem to hit even 200x20, but I'll survive for now, since 200x20 is less expensive even with modem rental than what Comcast charges for 150x20 elsewhere. The upload speed is great though, that's for sure.

UPDATE 4-16-14

Over the past few days TWC has been down for a fair amount. Last night, the downtime was measured in hours.

But when the service came back online (around 3am), I got this:

»imgur.com/mIORvx3

Speed tests register about 56.7 Mbps down and 5.6 Mbps up at this point. So no Maxx upgrades just yet, but my area is certainly ready for them (the only reason I don't see more downstream channels is that my modem doesn't support 'em).

UPDATE 8-10-13

Got my latest bill. As expected, I'll be paying around $11 more than before, with the total coming to just shy of $96 per month. Technically the dollars-per-megabit is negligibly higher thanks to the overprovisioning boost a week ago. But the service is still quite expensive, whatever way you slice it. And I've been having disconnection issues due to low SNR over the past few days.

UPDATE 8-6-13

On the 3rd I rebooted my modem to get a 10% speed boost; TWC no longer does PowerBoost but is now overprovisioning the speeds of their tiers at 15/1 and higher. There are times where I don't quite get those speeds, but at other times I'm hitting closer to 55/5.5 than 50/5. Nothing huge, but still nice.

Other than that, no upgrades to the plant that I can see. My modem SNR is actually down a bit from before...only 36-37 dB. My connection is still reliable, but it wouldn't take much to kill this reliability.

I got a letter in the mail today saying that TWC had extended the promo price of my tier...sort of. The amount I pay is going up by $10/mo, but that puts me at $90 (plus taxes and fees, so the upcharge will be more like $10.83) rather than $105. As such, I'll probably stick with my 50/5 tier, as the new promo rate is good until this time next year. Hopefully I'll be on Google Fiber by then, as paying nearly $100 for 50/5 isn't my idea of a fun time.

UPDATE 6-29-13

A month or two ago I ordered an SB6141 and returned the TWC-provided gateway, so now my bill is $85 instead of $89 (soon to be $90, or even more). The company messed up something with provisioning, such that I was offline for an hour and change the day I returned the modem, but they fixed it.

Service is still reasonably reliably and speedy, and TWC isn't complaining about the ~340GB that I've transferred this month (much of it uploads due to reseeding/updating online backups). However during peak hours Twitch.tv and YouTube become an utter buffer-fest at higher bitrates, unless I tunnel to SoftLayer or the like.

I'll probably downgrade to 30/5 as soon as my promo pricing wears off (probably after this coming billing cycle), unless TWC offers to extend the promo pricing. The extra 20 Mbps of download speed is nice, but uploads are where I'm really hurting, and the 50 Mbps plan doesn't offer any benefit to that end...so I wait impatiently for Google Fiber to solve that problem.

UPDATE 11-12-12

According to my latest bill, Austin now has the $3.95 modem rental fee (plus tax), boosting the price I'm paying for 50/5 to $89.32 per month. I'll be ordering a Zoom 5341J modem pretty soon to avoid this rental fee, and I'll come out ahead within 20 months of that purchase (less if TWC hikes modem rental rates again).

According to TWC's meter, I used 172, 202 and 148 GB of data in August, September and October, respectively. So far this month I've used 162 GB due to my backup partial reseed. Those numbers sound accurate, given what I've been doing on my 'net connection, and they don't matter too much anyway since my tier is still uncapped. If you work things out, my cost per gigabyte is between 40 and 50 cents...more than I'd pay on AT&T with one of their 250GB plans, but also more reliable and faster (17x faster on downloads, 7x faster on uploads, accounting for DSL overhead).

UPDATE 11-10-12

Service still appears to be humming along. I'll be reseeding a backup this month but am not worried that TWC will get onto me about that since I don't do heavy downloading/uploading during peak periods (it's either afternoons before everyone gets home or late at night). At any rate, there's no cap.

The only times I get high latency is when I'm pegging the connection in one or both directions. Which is right now, since I'm pulling 6 MB/s on a few parallel downloads. Otherwise, the connection is completely snappy. For example, pings to a California game server are ~59ms and Netflix buffers in a couple seconds and switches to HD after well under a minute (probably the fault of Netflix more than the cable connection that it takes that long).

Again, I'm pretty much a captive audience for TWC...I'm not going to switch to 3M AT&T DSL or throttled, latency-ridden Clear WiMAX (or throttled/capped cellular or satellite service). Grande Communications, which I'd switch to in a heartbeat if they were available, isn't available in this part of town, and the remaining options all cost hundreds of dollars per month (MegaPath EoC or whatever). So TWC it is.

UPDATE 8-17-12

Service appears to be performing as expected. Speeds are in the high forties or low fifties down, 5 Mbps up. I may run Ethernet to make sure I get full speeds...since I'm on a 2.4GHz-only router in an apartment complex, the last few feet may be my weak link.

I checked my bill just now (after signing up for TWC PayXpress and turning off paper billing) and TWC overcharged me by $1.77 on its last credit card payment, leaving me with a $21.77 service credit. The other $20 was applied by TWC's Twitter team as an apology for the installation coordination issues...I'd rather have had no issues with the install than $20, but I'll take it!

As far as what I'm actually paying, it looks like standard Internet service here in Austin is $54.99 per month. Add Another $50 for 50/5, then take away $25 due to the promo I'm on. Modem rental ($2.50), taxes ($3.12) and fees (a regulatory cost recovery charge of 36 cents) bring my total to $85.97 per month for my first twelve months of service.

So if I was in Comcast territory where FiOS was available or nearby, I could get faster service (50/10) for a comparable price (including modem rental, I think)...and I'm paying more for TWC 'net access than AT&T charges for any of their DSL tiers...but for where I am this isn't the worst deal ever.

Speaking of what AT&T charges for their DSL tiers, I could get the highest-end service that's available here for $19.95 per month for twelve months, if I commit to a year contract. But it's 3M down, 768K up at best so that's not happening (and TWC offers its 3M plan for $19.99 per month for the first twleve months with no contract anyway). It's extra annoying that no high speeds are offered here because there's a VRAD ust down the block from the entrance to my apartment complex, along with buried fiber optical cable warnings on the streets nearby. Guess the phone lines in here must be really, really screwy to keep that VRAD from serving me at 18 Mbps over, say, two pairs (so 5000 wire feet).

ORIGINAL REVIEW (8-15-12)

In this particular apartment complex (NW Austin), AT&T provides DSL and TWC provides cable. Unfortunately, AT&T tops out at 3 Mbps at my particular apartment, so for telecommuting, gaming, etc. that wasn't going to work. Since I had 50/15 connectivity from Comcast in Colorado (see my review of them), I decided to go for TWC's 50M tier (5M up). I dont need the extra download speed, but I heard rumblings that TWC will upgrade the tier's upload speeds, something that I'd find quite handy for transferring large files/photos/videos (hence my having 50M service in Colorado).

ORDERING & INSTALLATION

I ordered service in late July, as early as I could for an expected mid-August install (I moved into my new apartment on the 14th, so an install on the 15th was ideal). The 50/5 tier, Internet-only, came to $82.49 per month including modem rental and after a $20 discount (which lasts one year). Installation was either cheap ($50) or free.

I received an e-mail from TWC a day or two later asking me to reschedule my install...I had picked 8/16 (valid on Time Warner Cable's website) but apparently the schedule didn't actually go out that far. I rescheduled for the 13th temporarily; I would call them back to reschedule for after the 14th later.

A week and a half or so prior to my install, I called up TWC again to reschedule. The customer service rep's English could use work, but I gathered that he had rescheduled me for 8/15 at 8am. Perfect! Or not...

On the 13th, while I was still not in my apartment quite yet, I got a couple voicemails from TWC (my phone was off at that point). I found out by a follow-up call to them that the installation reschedule request didn't take, something I hadn't been notified about. On that same call, I rescheduled the install as early as was then possible: 1-3pm on Saturday.

This was far less than ideal, and the scheduling snafu wasn't my fault, so I contacted TWC via Twitter. They put a tech supervisor on the situation and I got a call several hours later letting me know that I'd have an installer by in the 10am window on the 15th, pending availability. I thanked the supervisor and ended the call.

This morning (8/15) I got an e-mail from TWC stating that the insatllation was complete, though no tech had yet showed. Calls to TWC's automated system listed my order as complete (no additional info) as well. A call to a TWC support rep cleared things up: one system still had the 8/13 install date set, and my tech would arrive in the 8a-noon window.

At just before 10am, a TWC tech called me and let me know that he was arriving. The first part of his installation job was outside my apartment. Having finished that, he came inside around 10:25am. By 10:45, he was gone and the Motorola SBG6580 he brought with him was serving up my 50/5 connection. I then logged into the modem (admin/motorola are the default username/password), disabled NAT and turned off wireless connectivity, effectively turning the gateway into a bridged modem without needing to call TWC to get them to make the change. The wireless on the gateway seemed to work fine for the few minutes that I used it, but I trust my Amped Wireless R10000G more (and, while the Motorola was able to just barely provide advertised speeds over wireless, the Amped actually exceeds those speeds).

In short, the install itself was fine (though I tidied up some cables after the tech left). The scheduling for it wasn't a pleasant process, but TWC ended up getting things done when I wanted them to, so I can't fault them too much.

STATS

My 8x4 (DS/US) bonding capable gateway is currently bonding four downstream channels (roughly 42dB SNR and between -1 and -3 dBmV power levels)...and not bonding upstreams. I'm sitting on a 3.2MHz-wide channel that's probably modulating at 16QAM. This makes me concerned about whether I'll be able to get my full 5 Mbps of upload speed at all times, but things seem fine so far.

As I mentioned, speed tests show that I'm getting my full (50 Mbps down, 5 Mbps up) provisioned speed, with no PowerBoost or other shenanigans. I can actually hit above 50 Mbps for download speeds to some servers, though in other cases I'm below 50. It averages out to be a fast connection though, right at what I'm paying for.

Latency and jitter aren't rock-solid like you'd see on a well-groomed FastPath DSL line or FTTH, however both figures are pretty good, with 10ms to TWC Austin core and a few milliseconds of jitter. So VoIP and gaming shouldn't be an issue at all, though TWC routes a lot of their traffic over Cogent, which may not take the most direct route to a given website. Due to backbone-level decisions, I've seen connections that "feel" faster (for example, LTE on my Sprint phone in Fort Worth), however the TWC connection feels faster than my Comcast connection did, and non-Powerboosted speeds should allow me to do better QoS so that I can game and upload photos at the same time

member for 7.7 years, 3383 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Angry TWC

@rr.com

TWC SUX

When I first got them, they were $47 a month,(I own my own modem) They increase your bill every couple months, and now its almost $60, all the while the speeds go down. I'm on 10/1mb. When TWC (The WORST Cable) picked up Adephia, when they all went to prison, they plugged Buffalo into the already oversubscribed Rochester-->East system. In evenings, theres no possible gaming its so slow while everyone downloads their Netflix. I nominally average 3-4mb while I pay for 10. Theres no competition in town, Versleazon wont put FIOS in the cities, just the rich suburbs. We're working with the state to sue them for discriminatory practices.

built

@rr.com

New residential

Where can I buy a gutter box for my exterior wall that recieves service and excepts house cabling?

Review by pizz See Profile

• Location: Astoria,Queens,NY
Good "MaXX Upgrade 300/20 - rock-solid stable. Never a slow down."
Bad "Customer Service Store, in the Queens Center Mall. In Elmhurst NY. Worst Customer Service Reps, there period."
Overall "They have come up in the world. Faster internet speeds. Better TV selections. Phone rock-solid."

8/6/14 - Bill is 197.00 and I get the ultimate Triple-play. With all movie channels. They don't offer this plan anymore, as I was told. Cause of all the movie channels added in. Fios is in my building now. And i never thought I'd stick with TWC over FIOS. But I am, and couldn't be happier.

Comments:

kilrathi
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

maybe not zero problems

Your lucky I had packet loss problems on the upstream for past year and quite bad this summer, they finally realized the lines here couldnt handle 64QAM on the upstream (rockaways queens) and new cmts uses max 16QAM so the problems occur less now but I would never say zero problems for tw in nyc. Back few years ago that was true. There is hope now that they added more downstream channels upgraded their cmts and doing more upgrades this year that it will be trouble free again at least for me.

pizz
1gbps is all the rage.
join:2000-10-27
Astoria, NY

Re: maybe not zero problems

sorry for the long reply. I understand your problems, i followed it on your forum post. I thiink it's because you have so many buildings there, that your upstream will be congested. I'm gonna reword my review as i see the errors in it.

i hope the new cmts works well for you and they increase some node splits in your area.

good luck
It's ok to say, 'I don't know'. It's even better when someone takes the time to explain what you, 'don't know'.

Review by chachster See Profile

• Location: Westerville,Delaware,OH
Good "Great tech for the install."
Bad "Get pixelization every once in a while"
Overall "Internet speeds are good and the TV service is as expected"

·WOW Internet and..
I ordered a DVR with HBO and Ultimate Internet (50meg)

Came with the 8300HD DVR - Relic, but it works.

Installer made sure everything was working before he left. Using my own modem and that was no problem getting online.

I also have 4 cablecards for TiVo and Silicon Dust HD Prime, sports pack and Showtime.

I see pixelization every once in a great while, but I've come to accept that as digital cable.

member for 12.3 years, 4280 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Pegasus See Profile

• Location: Hilton,Monroe,NY
Good "Stable speeds. Lots of HD. Better appointment times. Whole home DVR works great. No fee's for paying bill on the phone."
Bad "No premiums HBO, Showtime ETC included. Should include another client box. "
Overall "if your happy with TWC in your area & want more than 1 DVR & 50/5 internet signature home makes sense."

Signed up for signature home on 7/14/2013, Installed on 7/21/2013

Ordering was pretty smooth. spoke with a very nice woman who was easy to understand and pleasant & excited about what she was selling.

Installation was quick & painless. Tech sat down with my family & myself before installing anything to go over all the services and to make sure it suited all of our needs. after that all the cable outlets were tested & the tech was shown where all the equipment was to be placed.

For cable boxes i was given 2 Cisco 8742HDC.

For data & phone i kept the dual modem set up i already had, Arris for data & Technicolor for the home phone.

The only real complaint i have about signature home thus far are:

1. should include one client box included in the 199.99 price.

2. The call center for signature home is iffy. its hit or miss. Its not a terrible, the agents are never rude or unhelpful but sometimes it feels like the agents are in training & they are nervous.

Things i rave about:

1. No stupid fee's for paying over the phone, or paying by check over the phone.

3. Im never on hold when i call

4. The appointment times are fantastic. no waiting around for a tech.

5. The field techs. only the best of the best tech's do signature home appointments. this is really great. in the past before signature home ive had some very rude lousy techs.

Overall its just nice to have a cable company kiss my keister, even if its just a peck.

July 2014 Update.

Not much of anything has change service wise. Only changes have been with support. the signature home call center in NC is excellent now. No more using *67 to block my number when calling to get regular support. Its flip flopped. regular support is horrendous now it seems.

member for 6.9 years, 288 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by aemurray See Profile

• Location: Van Nuys,Los Angeles,CA
Good "download speed, reliable"
Bad "Too many menus in reacing tech support"
Overall "Tech support and service seems to have deteriorated"

Have used TW for 10 years, services until recently has actually been very, extremely good. Of late, the past 3 months, the phone and the RoadRunner service disconnects. Contacting tech support is of little to no value. The roadrunner service has deteriorated tremendously. Have called several time because of numerous, long-term drops. Have had to disconnect all cables (power, coax, Ethernet) and hit reset button, let sit for about 10 minutes before plugging everything back in and usually on about the 4th attempt of going through this procedure I get my connection back. Tech support was here two weeks ago and was to have replaced my cable modem but instead the tech only checked outside wiring and stated some of the other TW customers had loose connections and caused my connection to "bleed." Connection lasted about a week and the problems started again. Have another tech call in on August 2. Before TW was able to send someone within a couple of days, now it is taking two weeks. Don't think I will be putting up with this type of service much longer.

Comments:

Review by beeftaco See Profile

• Location: Beaver Dam,Ohio,KY
Good "Speed, when it works"
Bad "Speed and connection, when they don't work"
Overall "I'd have no problem moving to another ISP if one were available in the rural area I live in."

I had New Wave as my ISP before TWC bought them out. When they were bought out, the transition was seamless: no replacing my modem, no new cables needed to be run, etc, so I would list that as a pro.

With New Wave, the price I was paying was $30-35/month for internet service (no phone, no cable) that was reliable, albeit not as fast as what I currently have. A few months after TWC took over, my bill jumped to $44.95. I will point out that this was without prior notice/permission under the claim that TWC upgraded my internet package to better speeds. Again, I didn't call up TWC to request a better/faster package, and I wasn't given a notice (prior to receiving a bill) about the change.

Speeds: Speedtest.net varies according to time of day. But at about 10 PM CST on a Friday night, it clocked in at 14 mbps down and 1 mbps up. The speed, when it's working, is acceptable. I live in a rural area and the next thing I have to compare it to is satellite (I've been there/done that with WildBlue and got robbed blind--$1000 in bogus charges over the three months I had them), so the price for speed is pretty good compared to what's currently available in my area.

The connectivity: I do a decent amount of online gaming and there was a period of a couple months where I'd be dropped from games or lagging so bad I'd have to reset both my modem and router to fix the problem. I'd have to reset everything at least once/day for a few months. It. Was. Tedious. They must have changed something behind the scenes, because that problem doesn't exist anymore and while it was annoying, it wasn't annoying enough to give them a call to get the issue resolved (the stuff is back up and operating in just a few minutes' time).

Billing: I've made an online account and no longer receive paper billing. It's more convenient to just pay my bill via a mobile phone app, so tally another pro for TWC. The paper bill does not contain an abundant amount of information. I'd be interested to see monthly usage (in case I ever get a chance to change providers I'd know what package I'd need from a different ISP) and I can't even tell you what package I have; neither of these is listed on the paper or downloadable PDF bill.

Tech support: I don't have to call in or chat with tech support often, which is good because their over-the-phone/internet tech support just sucks. I spent 1/2 hour to 45 minutes with chat support just now (at least half of that waiting to be transferred from one tech to another) and still didn't get the issue I was having resolved. I was given a runaround of unnecessary diagnostic tests and whatnot just to be told to call up my local office during business hours. My problem: YouTube streaming was being extremely slow (I'm talking 5+ minutes to load a 1- to 3-minute video). There's an old workaround for this posted online but it's outdated and doesn't work. Still, the fact that workaround exists tells me TWC is throttling YouTube streaming and has the capability of fixing this problem. But they seem disinterested in helping their paying customers the workaround for this. If customer service/support is important to you--as a consumer--I'd suggest avoiding Time Warner Cable.

So while the price, speed, and connectivity is just "OK" (I definitely wouldn't say great), their tech support is severely lacking when it comes to helping paying customers.

Comments:

why60loss

join:2012-09-20
·Verizon Wireless..

Youtube is a big issue with Time warner cable

Those in LA/NYC get gold, the rest on this topic seem to get dumped on when it comes to speed from youtube.

The only way around it really is a VPN and no one brings this up about them like Comcast/Verizon because they only let that go on in markets like yours when they know and tech support looking up your billing zip know that your "choices" are limited.

What happens with youtube is at the link from TWC to youtube. Time warner cable doesn't want to pay for an upgrade to the link in your area so in place of getting 14mbs to Youtube you get some slower speed that forces the video player to wait for the data it needs to play the video. It's really a bunch of BS, because AT&T and Comcast don't have this issue with YouTube like TWC does. (They do how ever want to shake Netfilx down for money, but TWC is the only ISP I know that seems to hate Youtube so much.)

Tech support though can't do anything about it even if they did care because they don't have the power to upgrade the link from TWC to Youtube, that power is far far above there pay grade.

Review by CCat See Profile

• Location: Wonderland
Good "50Mb Down / 5 Mb Up"
Bad "Nothing for now."
Overall "Pretty consistant"

I switched from WOW in March. TWC offered a bundle with cable, internet, and voip.
Aside from a minor install problem (which was corrected the next day) everything went well. The turbo speed (15Mb down) is great. I only have 768K up but I really don't upload much so for me its not an issue. So far, so good.

Jan 2009 ISP has been very consistent with speeds. Aside from the usual slowdowns at peak times, and even these are not really a problem. At this point I am very happy with Roadrunner.

Sep 2009 Nothing has changed since Jan. A couple of outages due to weather but thats about it. The usual slowdown with cable at peak times but acceptable.
Just wish RR would increase the upload speed, 768 Sucks.

Mar 2010 Everything is still the same here. Speeds have been consistent and where they are supposed to be. Upload still sucks though.

Jan 2011 Nothing new to report. A few times the cable went out but was corrected in a reasonable amount of time. Speeds remain consistent with the occasional holiday slowdowns. Still stuck with the 768 upload, hopefully that will be changed sometime soon.

Oct 2012 RR increased their upload speed from 768 to 1000 a few months back. Better but still slow. In Dec I am getting the 50/5 package...looking forward to that.

Mar 2013 Finally got the 50/5 package. Only had it for a couple of days, but so far it is solid.
What a difference from the 15/1 package. It costs $30 more per month than the standard 15/1 package which brings it up to $59 per month with the TV and Phone bundle.

Oct 2013 Still running well. No outages or problems since March. Speeds remain consistent.
Would like to see a boost in the upload speed, especially for a 50 package.

June 2014 Have the 50/5 package now. Last month they had an upgrade. This upgrade totally screwed up everything. Problems with email and tremendous slowdowns with internet speeds. If this keeps up much longer I will be changing providers.
All they say is that they are aware of the problem and are working on it...Yeah right.

July 2014 Things are pretty much back to normal. Took a long time to correct IMO.

member for 8.9 years, 5366 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

Email.

This is why you do NOT use your ISP's email addresses. Why do users still insist on using their ISP email? So when you change ISPs again you can change that addy? get a domain or a domain. $9.25 on name.com with a coupon code.

Review by hhv1 See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "It's internet"
Bad "It's the only game in town for me..."
Overall "It sucks, it's over priced, but I have no other choice"

I would fire them tomorrow if I had another choice and I'm hoping some competition will come soon. No U-verse in my area, no Verizon FIOS, no Google Fiber nada, zip, zilch. I can't stand TWC and their crappy service, I just have no alternatives.

Comments:
etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX

What?

1. Which tier are you subscribed to?
2. $95 for what?

People that can't afford faster tiers should get the "every day low price" internet for 14.99 a month. If you can't afford $95 TWC I'm sure you can't afford $95 uverse or fios.
xQim

join:2003-09-20
·Fairpoint Commun..

said by etaadmin:

I don't see anywhere that this individual in anyway, shape, or form, said that they couldn't afford the service. The reviewer just claims that it is over-priced, and it sucks. Case and point: TWC is an overpriced oligopoly that offers garbage speeds at premium prices. 5Mbps is the quickest upload speed. TWC launched RR in 1995. Other then blatant greed, why are TWC speeds still so slow and overpriced after 19 years?

why60loss

join:2012-09-20
·Verizon Wireless..

said by xQim:

said by etaadmin:

I thought Time warner cable was over priced as well and I had no issue paying the bill on time and in full. I think the reviewer just is mad that TWC is ripping them off is all.

It would have been nice to see more detail on why it sucks for the reviewer but I know what they do to those with out a choice very well. Those living in LA and NYC have no idea how they run things in areas with out a choice.
xQim

join:2003-09-20
·Fairpoint Commun..

4 edits

said by why60loss See Profile

Agreed. The reviewer should have gone into more depth as to what particularly irratated them. There are "two" options here and they both are terrible. I have to go with TWC because I don't consider unFairpoint to be a competitor. The price to speed ratio is absurd: $59.99 for 7Mbps/1Mbps, $49.90 for 4Mbps/1Mbps, and 2Mbps/768Kbps for $44.90. All prices are per month. Keep in mind that this does not include: fees, surcharges, taxes, etc. When TWC merges with Comcast I might take the leap to unFairpoint and use DSL as the primary and cable as the secondary fail over or load balance it. Why? unFairpoint does at least give you unlimited data. I refuse to pay for a service that is already overpriced and restricted to a data limit.

The price for TWC internet after the promotional year sky rockets. The ultimate package is $119.99/Month, Extreme is $99.99, Turbo is $79.99, Standard is $59.99, Basic is $39.99, and EDLP is $14.99.

I also do not consider Satellite or 3G (no 4G) to even be a last resort. The data caps are way to low, overpriced, and latency is way to high. I would take Dial-Up or ISDN if possible.