Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by nrf See Profile

• Location: Morrow,Warren,OH
Good "just as reliable as the power in your area"
Bad "bundling makes it hard to know the true price"
Overall "gave up on dsl, bought my own modem"

after a year with dsl I went back. now that I bought my own docsis 3 cablemodem, getting great results »www.speedtest.net/my-result/2897797073

advertised speeds 20/2 and getting it +10%!

Comments:
ipwn3r456

join:2013-07-31
Los Angeles, CA

$25 per month? Typo or?

That's even cheaper than I am paying for the Standard... How did you managed to get that price?

Dave522

@rr.com

My results

Yea TWC is nice, »www.speedtest.net/my-result/3290845324

Review by pizz See Profile

• Location: Astoria,Queens,NY
Good "Solid Wideband 55/6 24x7 great constant speeds."
Bad "Not throwing the 300/20 upgrade yet! And Flushing NYC store. Has the worst customer service. Fire them all please."
Overall "I always liked TWC. phone support is great. the packages are interesting."

I have the ultimate wideband triple play. TWC has greatly improved from before they upgraded to docsis 3.0. TV is great. Phone is amazing. Internet for myself is amazing plus. Constant 50 download / 5 upload. Pings to my favorite game (word of warcraft) is 10-12ms due to the server being located in New York City. As for my other service which is in a data center in LA it's 45-55ish ms.

Only complaint i have is how the 50/5 package is treated. Other Cable ISPs are offering 100mbs / 10ms +`

I pay 220 is a month, but it's well worth it, if you got the cash to spend on this sort of deal. Plus i'll be getting a 25 dollar off per month aslong as I keep my triple play package.

as of writing this it's: 1/30/14 - TWC gave me a package i could not pass up. My total bill is now $178 a month, this includes HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz. Not a promo, just a plain ole' package. since we've been a great customer, we got this. no calls, just a thank you in the mail. They improved a lot here in NYC. upgrades are on going. Their phone support beats out the Queens, Store in the mall. Let them all go, and put workers that know what customer service is. Calling in is better for me at least then going through the store.

member for 13.4 years, 3587 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

kilrathi
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

maybe not zero problems

Your lucky I had packet loss problems on the upstream for past year and quite bad this summer, they finally realized the lines here couldnt handle 64QAM on the upstream (rockaways queens) and new cmts uses max 16QAM so the problems occur less now but I would never say zero problems for tw in nyc. Back few years ago that was true. There is hope now that they added more downstream channels upgraded their cmts and doing more upgrades this year that it will be trouble free again at least for me.

pizz
bye bye twc. hello Comcast.
join:2000-10-27
Astoria, NY

Re: maybe not zero problems

sorry for the long reply. I understand your problems, i followed it on your forum post. I thiink it's because you have so many buildings there, that your upstream will be congested. I'm gonna reword my review as i see the errors in it.

i hope the new cmts works well for you and they increase some node splits in your area.

good luck
It's ok to say, 'I don't know'. It's even better when someone takes the time to explain what you, 'don't know'.

Review by kylekim See Profile

• Location: Flushing,Queens,NY
Good "Admittedly, it's a fairly reliable service, uptime wise."
Bad "I feel that RR has ridiculously low upload speeds now compared to what's available."
Overall "Even though there are issues here and there, it's not enough to switch to DSL. FiOS on the other hand ... still waiting ..."

It was a sad day when I found out I had to leave Long Island and move back into Queens. I was totally and absolutely spoiled by Optimum Online. With the Boost service, I wasn't even chomping at the bit to get FiOS. 30/5 service is extremely hard to give up.

Now, since I'm back in Queens and in an area where FiOS is not available, there are only two choices. RR or Verizon DSL. Given both options and neither pulling the capping tactic that OOL employs to uploaders, I opted for RR.

Download speeds have been cranked up since I last used the service. Upload speeds are dismal. And it's not just about P2P usage. It's also for playing online games and being able to sustain more than one user at a time. Hopefully, RR can at least up the upload speed to 1-2Mbit a second. At that point, I would have less to complain about since I actually prefer their TV service over what I've used on Cablevision and what I've seen on FiOS TV.

Update - 7/1/10

I'm going to be honest. The Internet service has been quite reliable. I can't recall a full blown outage off the top of my head. Right now, I'm dealing with speed issues but before the sudden decrease in speed during peak hours (past 2-3 weeks), I was getting speeds well above my "package". Sadly, because of the lack of real competition, there is still quite a difference between what FiOS offers where it is available compared to RR.

Did upgrade to the 15m/768k package recently. Still would much prefer 15/2 to be the standard. And they really need to drop the price/make wideband available as a package. 50/5 isn't groundbreaking speeds ...

Update - 1/28/14

So I've been on TWCs 30/5 package for awhile now and I'm still not really satisfied as a customer. I can almost expect an issue biannually that I need to troubleshoot with tech support. Admittedly, thanks to this forum and the explosion of social media, problems eventually gets fixed with some poking and prodding (squeaky wheel yadda yadda).

When there are no issues, for the most part, the connection is stable. But when a problem arises, it takes awhile to troubleshoot and fix. Sometimes lasting weeks. But support has been helpful and did fix every issue I've had.

I really wish FiOS was an option. As an occasional photographer, the upload speeds available on FiOS would speed things up quite a bit.

Also, I finally dumped that overpriced STB DVR and went the CableCARD route. That alone was a totally different struggle with TWC but again, it was resolved.

Comments:

Review by horacebork See Profile

• Location: 09001
Good "service, support, reliability, value"
Bad "price goes up. regularly."
Overall "basically good service. wish their internet-only rates were more competetive."

(note: i only use twc for my cable internet. i do not use them for tv as i receive good reception and am not interested in 95% of cable programming.)

originally was resold twc thru ny connect. ny connect was essentially a pass-thru company and offered no value-added services. twc handled all my technical and account level support, so ny connect was essentially of no added value.

we have had power or service disruptions on several occasions. in each instance, twc very supportive. nyc was working on the road in front of my building and cut the line at least twice. in both instances they were prompt sending out service staff to perform repairs. and when the repairs were not completed within a 24 hour period, they prorated my fees for the month.

this past december (2013) they offered a year-end deal. for $10 less they offered double the download and upload speeds. when i called in, they said this was for first time customers. however, the rep simply offered the discounted rate to me anyways. for that, i had to terminate my service with the essentially useless ny connect and directly subscribe with twc. perhaps that was what allowed them to offer me the discounted rate.

at one point they "changed" their service and were going to start "renting" the cable modem to me at $5/mo. i thought this was a little greedy so i bought a cable modem (listed on their approved list) for myself ($40 motorola surfboard). works fine. they even recognize it from their end.

they regularly increase their rates without increasing up/down speeds. this is really nervy. there is not much cost difference between 20mbs and 40mbs. but the price they increase my services far outstrips any difference incurred by greater up/down speeds.

oh well, i am hoping that i can renew my current monthly rate this december.

Comments:

Review by fms See Profile

• Location: Flushing,Queens,NY
Good "Good service in first year, pretty stable connection/speeds"
Bad "Price increases with nothing else getting better"
Overall "Decent service, okay price still with nothing serious to complain about"

·Verizon Online DSL
I signed up for TWC's wideband 30/5 service approximately 1.5 years ago after some terrible stuff with Verizon DSL. After a scheduled appointment that seemed faaaaaaar away, the technician arrived and wired up the apartment very quickly and while the first gateway he brought was bad, he quickly got someone to bring another and worked with me even while I wasn't home (someone else was). The first year was glorious, especially coming from what became a completely unreliable and slow connection: the peak time slowdowns I always feared from being on cable did not exist and I always got great speeds, sometimes even above what was rated! The upstream was a bit wonky as I never really got true 5Mbit when uploading or streaming; not terrible since I already knew cable was pretty bad at it. It got a little better once my gateway started finally getting a bonded upstream link a few months later and it got more stable as well. Speaking of the gateway, it's a Motorola SBG6580 that's locked down by TWC: their excuse is that they provide WiFi as part of the service and in order to keep a level of quality and to provide support for it, they hold the keys and you merely follow the rules (my words). It's easy enough to call tech support and have a higher tier support rep put the device into bridge mode for your own router; I don't remember how long I waited to get proper help...15 minute phone call, total?

After about a year (my memory is fuzzy tbh, might have been more or less and other details may be out of order) with Time Warner, the honeymoon phase ended and I start seeing what people have complained about them. One problem was that they began charging an extra fee for the modem/gateway. We're essentially renting their equipment and can buy our own if we'd like; I decided to leave the fee on as I'd want them to be responsible for any problems and the overall difference between the fee over two years and a full retail device was minimal. The second thing: unannounced price hikes. The promotional price ended after the year but I remember receiving another seemingly random increase not counting the equipment rental. Lastly, recent service has not been too hot. I get connection drops sometimes (very rare, not horrible) but also speeds seem to drop or connection becomes less stable around peak times. Seems like more people are getting on the "wideband" bandwagon and finally affecting me. Overall service is still good and with no other competition around (yet?!), I can only hope that my experience stays relatively normal.

tl;dr Service was good for first year. Might be slightly worse now with more people on DOCSIS 3.0/"wideband". No control over provided gateway (can be put to bridge though). Expect price increases with no better quality of service.

Update: 2014 Jan 22, just paid my bill for the past month and it's been increased to about $77 now, from about $66 before. Also forgot to mention that I just can't access their "MyServices" area sometimes. Very random and has happened since I joined up. Have tried multiple devices, different browsers.

...I do remember agreeing to pay the discounted price adjusted year over year until it gets to the full, normal price. It says "extended discount" on the bill previously at -16 and now at -5 (so there'll be one more hike!) but the problem is, it's not actually WORTH this price. Wasn't worth the old price. But I'm STUCK.

Comments:

Jhf5

@rr.com

TWC so called automatic discount

Hey, call them at the end of the initial period, you aren't bound for another year at the price they give on the new bill, Call them, do the Downgrade services thing on the automated, You should get to the retention desk, they will give you a much better price. Good luck.

Review by elray See Profile

• Location: Santa Monica,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Cheap, reliable, sufficient for our needs. 2M/1M Lite Pkg enough for GV, Netflix SD"
Bad "Inept customer service"
Overall "No complaints. It just works."

·EarthLink
We ordered TW Roadrunner 1.5 when our DSL went out of service for a week - the phone company (Verizon-GTE) was incapable of undoing the damage they caused internally to our vintage Frame-Relay hookup - so we had to convince them to build a new circuit from scratch.

TW installer showed up 2 days after we placed the order. He had to borrow my ladder, extension cord, and I had to fish the cables for him as he routed them about the building.
Since I ordered only cable-internet, no TV, he took the time to scold me and tell me "I installed a filter" (so I can't hook up a TV.)

As usual, they expect to hook up your Windows system raw to their internet - so I had prepared a disposable system for the occasion. It was attacked in 3 minutes.

The tiny black cable modem generates way too much heat, and throughput is not consistent, slowing to a crawl at times, though not often enough to warrant pulling the service. Since it is cheap enough ($34.95/mo total), we actually are keeping both DSL and cable modem, in hopes that one of them will be working when the other goes out.
(I know that sounds cynical, but our experience bears it out.)

I'm hoping to get a better price than $34.95 - there was a $19.95 package, but I haven't yet figured how to get them to commit to it.

Mar 2008 Update: service is more reliable, but speed drops to 650Kb often. Not sure if they're throttling or saturated - resetting modem doesn't change anything. Otherwise no complaints. Still would prefer cheaper price, but in Verizon/GTE area it seems we've always had to pay a bit more.

November 2009: We downgraded to Roadrunner Lite (768K) some months back, to save a few bucks (now $26.95). Service is decent, except when it goes out every 4 months, we have to spend an hour on the phone to get to Level III tech support, for them to re-sync their access server. Levels I & II can't do it, but are glad to insist we need to swap out the modem or schedule a truck roll and spend a day at home waiting for them.

February 2010: after rate increase to $28.95 for 768K, we are offered 10M/512 for $34.95, or 1.5M/384 for $24.95 with 1-year price lock. We chose the latter, of course. Had to speak with an offshored Level II tech to get it working, but it took only minutes. Satisfaction with Time Warner continues to improve slowly.

November 2010: Continue to experience multiple outages without any resolve.
TWC offers 10M/768 for $29.99 with one-year price lock - we accept, thinking we'll be getting a Netflix-enabled monitor to replace our dead TV.

2011-2013: Satisfactory, bullet-proof service at $30/month for 10/1 and 15/1. November 2012, purchased used cable modem SB5101 for $22 to offset stupid rental fee, installed without a hitch. Mid-2013, switched to earthlink resale of tw cable after $30 rate expired for good. Switch to EL cumbersome (an hours worth of phone calls) but service works fine.

January 2014: After six months diversion to Earthlink, we're back on TWC, on the 2M/1M Lite service package, for $14.99 a month. Converting back was a bureaucratic nightmare, one hour and 15 minutes of phone calls to get it done right, but again, the service works flawlessly and its dirt cheap.

member for 13.3 years, 1924 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Millenium

join:2013-10-30

Same

We have the same 2/1 service on the east coast. We've had two streams running on Netflix, or one Netflix stream and Facetime running simultaneously. I was surprised how well it works.

Review by Abiosis See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles
Good "Reliable...stable connection ~"
Bad "Pricing...Obviously ~"
Overall "Bottom line: No bandwidth Caps....at least for now ~"

Jan, 13, 2014 Update:

Received the Redemption Code for the "Samsung Galaxy Tab® 3 7.0" or "US$300 Gift Card" by mail few days ago...

didn't aware that my account also eligible for that... since I don't need any tablet,so I rather choose the gift card...

Registered with my code in www.twcbetterreward.com without problem... but honestly I'm not holding my breath for it tho ~

Speed's still maintain the same as normal ~

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3228383364

Dec, 14, 2013 Update:

Returned the rental SBG6580 to the TWC store today...

had a conversation with the store manager about if there's any promotion plan that fit my case (Triple Plays Package) since I'm a long time customer for the last 10+ years (pre-Comcast ~ Road Runner ~ TWC)

She checked if any current promos available and finally worked it out, deducted around US$39 from US$234 to US$195 (included tax & stuff) for a year which I didn't really expected to be honest...I bet it'll not gonna happen in any support call or live chat can ever do that...(at least in my case) ~

In my honest opinion, just be polite and patient...you never know...somethin' nice may happens ~

P.S. Rebooted my modem & router (D-Link DGL-4500 Gaming Router) to adjust somethin'...the download speed's back to a bit normal range to 117Mb/s - 122Mb/s which I'm totally fine with it as long as it's stable ~

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3165638605

Dec, 12, 2013 Update:

Just provisioned my new Motorola SB6141 cable modem (white) smoothly through five minutes chat session today... (Firmware: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.12-SCM00-NOSH)

For some odd reason, the download speed's a bit higher than usual... (between 118Mb/s to 129Mb/s)

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3161987342

also need to drop off the SBG6580 to the TWC store this weekend to waive off that rental fee ~

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dec, 7,2013 Update :

Ordered the "Motorola SB6141 cable modem - Retail (White)" (US$84) to replace my rental SBG6580...just to waive off that rental fee (US$5.99)

since I don't need the built-In Wireless-N Router anyway...(got my own router) and I set it in bridge mode currently...

hope it'll be a painless installation when it arrives ~

Nov,25, 2013 Updated:

Just got speed upgrade to 100MB/5MB (Ultimate 100 - Standard tier + US$ 50) after reboot...

No complain so far...as a heavy usage subscriber (over 1 TB / per month)... it still worthy for me...for now ~

as long as there's no bandwidth caps on top of my service...it's all good to me, or else. I may need to look elsewhere for other options ~

Let's see how it goes down the road ~

For the record: I'm on (Digital TV - Internet - digital Phone Bundle Package) + one additional channel (2 boxes)

Comments:

Review by hawk82 See Profile

• Location: Oakland,Kennebec,ME
Good "Lots of bandwidth, little port filtering from what I can tell"
Bad "Vonage doesn't sound as good as it was when I was with VZ Business DSL."
Overall "Haven't made up my mind yet."

Was with VZ Business DSL. While it worked well, I was out too far from the CO to get the full connection. I need more bandwidth for two VoIP lines, plus downloads and patches for customer's computers, VPNs, remote troubleshooting, etc.

Called on a Tuesday I believe. Spoke with a sales rep who seemed pretty good. He forgo the normal Site Survey. I only have two business computers so I gave him that information. I fit under the Business Lite service. He arranged an install a few days later.

TWC Installer came out around 9am. He had an attitude. I explained to the installer that I had already ran a new RG-11 run through underground conduit and all I needed was to have him hook the line up the pole at an available tap and two end connectors put on the wire. He wasn't too happy about climbing the pole, but got the work done quickly in about 20mins. I had explained to the sales rep that I would run this cable, thus making this install real easy on the tech. I guess the sales person didn't pass this information onto the installers ticket.

Up and running. Seems to be good. My vonage line doesn't sound all that great. Sounded better on the VZ line actually.

Will update this at a later point.

1/12/2014: Have had this service for several years now. I had issues probably 3-4 yrs ago where the modem would lose sync about every 30 minutes. Had several techs come out and try this or that. Finally they admitted to a problem on the cable plant and would send out a maintenance crew to locate the issue. Problems continues for a few months after that. Never heard whether they actually repaired anything or not. Issue seemed to have gone away. Still no battery backups on their plant however. Really annoying. Doesn't look like they'll ever address that. I get a weekly mailing (to the service address & billing address) from TWC urging me to order their overpriced digital phone service. I occasionally get phone calls from random sales reps trying to get me to order the phone service as well. I tell them I pay less than $20 a month for 2 VoIP lines & 800#. That usually shuts them up for another year, as they cannot compete at that rate. Price wise, I've only had one increase, now paying $85.95 a month. It is a grandfathered plan from what I can tell. A similar current package would cost me 2x as much. No thanks, I'll keep this package.

member for 12.9 years, 3815 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by DigitalTexan See Profile

• Location: Waco,Mclennan,TX
Good "The modem has not caught on fire."
Bad "Unreliable, Slow, Poor Customer Service, Nonexistent Tech Support, Overpriced, Unable to Provide The Advertised Service."
Overall "Avoid like the plague if you live in north Waco. Move somewhere with Grande if internet is important."

I ordered the Time Warner 30/5 package two years ago. For the first year, the service was decent. It would disconnect sometimes and slow down a bit during peak times, but it was stable enough.

I later moved out of the apartment I was living in to a duplex a few blocks away. That's when the issues started. For two months, I was being billed for services at both addresses even though I informed them I was moving and watched them disconnect the service from the old address. It took six months to get a refund ($138) for their billing error.

For the last six months, the connection is wildly unstable with highly variable speeds and huge amounts of packet loss during peak times. They have overloaded their infrastructure and do not plan on fixing it or crediting the bill of any of their subscribers. I have been hung up on by tech support more than once. Tech support believes that the issue is on my network even though I've provided plenty of evidence to the contrary including the fact that my neighbors are experiencing the same problems. I've been promised calls from tech support that I never received.

Time Warner are a bunch of crooks. They cannot provide the service they're selling and are out to take your money.

Comments:

Review by waycoolphil See Profile

• Location: Cathedral City,Riverside,CA
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Very fast, reliable and resonably priced."
Bad "Haven't found any bad points yet. I'm a happy camper."
Overall "Best choice if you don't live in a FiOS area."

·Verizon Online DSL
This is actually a completely new review. I had TWC Internet back in the '90s but switched to Verizon DSL when I moved to Cathedral City in the Coachella Valley. I switched to TWC Internet (15/1) and nationwide phone because Verizon's DSL could no longer keep up with Netflix HD. It is working great. I'm getting 16mbps down and a little over 1 up. The combined cost for both broadband and phone is $48/month for a year. I was paying Verizon $70 for the same thing. No contract. I bought a Motorola SB6141 modem so no monthly modem fee. (And TWC doesn't charge a modem fee for phone.) I chose not to get TV because I really like DirecTV and don't want to give it up. The installation was done by a contractor (not TWC employees) and it took way over the 2 hrs allotted for it. I love it so far. Everything is "as advertised." And it's a good thing I like it because Verizon is not going to install FiOS here so TWC is the only option if you want to stream HD video.