Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Snowy See Profile

• Location: Kailua,Honolulu,HI
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (month by month)
Good "Oceanic Cable Vision is the local provider for TimeWarner, this provides a more local avenue for problem resolution"
Bad "Customer perks are available, but not apparent to most customers"
Overall "Hawaii Telcom has become the new DSL provider in my area & I assume they'll give RR a run for the money."

·Clearwire Wireless
There's no question that in The State of Hawaii TWC (Oceanic Cable) is the go to ISP.
Their competitor's best speed is slower than TWC basic.
If you're not fast you're last.

Oceanic (TWC) finally has some competition in the Speed Dept.
hawaiiantel.com is offering:
Fiber 500
High-Speed Internet
Up to 500 Mbps download
Up to 50 Mbps upload
While TWC's fastest plan offers 100 Mbps/5 Mbps
Too bad the now faster speed is offered by hawaiiantel.com which IMO is plagued by incompetent service issues due to the unmotivated, under trained CSR's that don't give a shit about hawaiiantel.com & even less for it's customers.
If you enjoy over billing, extended outages, extremely long telephone hold times, missed service appointments then hawaiintel.com may be a good option to Oceanic.
hawaiiantel.com's 500Mbps/50Mbps is priced @ $345/month with the added value being the McAfee Internet Security Software it comes with

TWC's wifi hotspots are just an added bonus to an already good service package.

member for 11.9 years, 6685 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

ranchocal

@verizon.net

I dunno

Looks like Hawaiian Tel is turning their service around while TWC is letting the trainwreck that is Comcast absorb it. I sense a slight bias in this review.

Snowy
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
·Clearwire Wireless

Re: I dunno

said by ranchocal :

I sense a slight bias in this review.

I must have understated my total contempt for hawaiiantel.com.
An office move a few years back was planned to most miniscule detail for a seamless transition.
hawaiiantel.com took 2 weeks to move the phone lines which almost bankrupted me.
Considering the wiring was supposed to be completed a week prior to move in, not 2 weeks after the move, I am an acknowledged vocal opponent of hawaiiantel.com.

The CS support is humorous in retrospect.
Me: "You're 3 days late getting my phone service up & running - it's killing me - when will the service get installed?
Them: "You're service was installed last week - it must be the wiring within your office - we are not responsible for them once installed
Me: "That's the problem - no one has been here to install anything
Them: "Our records indicate otherwise..."
2 frigging weeks to convince them that their records were incorrect.

Review by jstone00 See Profile

• Location: Tujunga,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Service is stable,good speed after upgrade"
Bad "Billing glitches took 3 calls to resolve"
Overall "Service is expensive, but fast and stable"

·Prodigy Infinitum
·SONIC.NET
I recently moved from one city in Los Angeles County, California, to another. There were a number of options for service at my old residence, but they were limited in the new city. The previous owner of my new residence had Time-Warner Cable as his internet provider, and he was willing to transfer his service to me.

We went to the local TWC office together. He turned in his modem, I signed some paperwork, and I was issued a new modem. The whole process took about 5 minutes. I went back home and connected the new modem, but realized I would have to call Time-Warner and provide the modem's MAC number so it would sync. I did so, and I was up and running at 15 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up.

A week later I traded the modem that Time-Warner had issued for one of my own, a Motorola Surfboard SB6121, so that I could avoid the monthly $5.99 modem rental charge. Again, a call to TWC to provide the MAC address was necessary, but in 10 minutes I was up and running with my new modem. The one glitch in the process was the failure of Time-Warner billing to remove the monthly modem rental fee from my account after I had notified them of the change and returned their modem to the local TWC office. Although I had to call 3 times before this fee was finally removed, I always spoke clearly and politely to whomever was helping me. Experience shows that courtesy always gives the best results when speaking to tech-support or a help desk, and I was credited the over-charges. After 2 months my monthly statement arrived with the correct charges.

Time-Warner recently rolled out new speeds in some areas of the United States, and I was lucky enough to be in one of these areas. For the same price, I am now enjoying 50+ Mbps down, and 5+ Mbps up.

I'll stay with Time-Warner if I can continue to pay $39.99 a month.

Comments:

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID

Stable?

I would love to agree with you that the service is stable.......

Review by mdfudge See Profile

• Location: Palmdale,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Speed is great! 97mbit down m6.1bit up Varies from day to day. Great for Gaming!voi pvpn"
Bad "speed may drop significantly, sometimes high pings but not too much to complain about"
Overall "overpriced even with bundled services, great speed overal I will stay unless DOCSIS3+ or Fios comes to East Palmdale, CA"

I had 5 IP static Legacy DSL with SBC/ATT until they lost my IP set!? imagaine that. Then they said I had to move to a new system it wasn't what I had before. So I switched to TWC Cable RR.com. I ordered the Turbo Package for 49.00 intro.

Install was great, tech wasn't too sharp but I was up and linked in no time flat. Made him put all new connectors on cable. Signal was rock solid. The modem I got originally was an RCA, later I upgraded to an Abit modem.. much faster speeds. Overall my experience with TWC was smooth, I can't really complain since going from DSL to Cable the speeds are incredible.

Comments:

Review by sinaz See Profile

• Location: Encino,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Solid connection, reasonable speeds."
Bad "Lack of any other ISP choice"
Overall "It works. It's reasonably fast."

Well, It's been several years since I've done a review. I figured I'll just do one now since there is a lack of any in my area. This is less about my actual service with TWC and more about lack of competition in the Encino area.

I'll start off by saying that Time Warner here isn't bad by any means. Really I've had no complaints about their communication, their tech roll outs, and service. We've been with TWC for over 7 years and have probably only had outages once every other year (knock on wood) of which only lasted maybe a night. Recently, we called up to add another cable box separate to the living room and also ended up bumping our broadband speeds to the 30/5 tier for the same price we were paying before. Our connection consistently exceeds that by about 5/.5 and again have no complaints.

Most of the problem lies with lack of competition in this area. ATT is the only other provider, and for some reason lacks any competitive packages and connection speeds. Seeing as how U-Verse (VDSL) has been around for quite some time, you would think they'd have rolled it out to places that are somewhat populous. Their speeds max out at 6mbits (what is this 2004?), and their TV service is non existent. The disparity between TWC's packages and ATT's packages begs to question whether they even care about garnering any customers in this region.

Now you may be thinking why this sounds more like a rant/review about ATT especially when my service with TWC has been pretty good. Well, I can assure you it's not that I have a desire to switch over, but more along the lines that if my relationship with TWC does go sour for any reason, I have no where else to go with anything decent.

I understand that most of the country lacks competition and there are areas that are far worse off than I which i feel immensely for, but there is still no excuse for a multi billion dollar corporation with the means to deliver a comparable service in a demanding area to keep delivering archaic technologies. In a perfect world, I would like to see telco/cableco territories knocked down and have them overlap each other for much more competition, but that's not what we're given. Only a few minutes away the choices are somewhat comparable between these duopolies, but over here, it might as well be a monopoly.

member for 14.3 years, 2552 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by pumpkinhead7 See Profile

• Location: Clarksburg,Harrison,WV
Good "22mb down and 1mb up"
Bad "Has talked about usage based billing for some time, this will kill the internet. Also might be bought by comcast"
Overall "Pretty good speeds, good reliability, decent price for internet"

TV Packages are priced EXTREMELY high! Comcast is wanting to buy them which will really suck

Comments:

Review by go_ahead_ed See Profile

• Location: Anaheim,Orange,CA
Good "reliable connection, consistent speeds"
Bad "took forever to get installed, not cheap"
Overall "pretty satisfied overall"

Used to have Earthlink MuniWiFi. Great when it worked, great price, but would go down for days at a time. RR 10/1 service has been much more reliable and satisfying. It took RR about a month to figure out where the nearest cable junction was before they could run the cable to my house. Once that was found installation was completed in a few hours.

Ambit cable modem, works just fine.

Update: Recently got upgraded to 100/10 service and at works great using my purchased Motorola SB6141 modem. Service/reliability has been great, no complaints.

member for 7 years, 381 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Packeteers See Profile

• Location: Forest Hills,Queens,NY
Good "all domestic sales and tier1 support"
Bad "a stuggle to get to tier3 support"
Overall "no contract means low risk trying"

Feb'2012 post install feedback;

After a lot of procedural headaches with Verizon aDSL, I decided to give TWCable a try. I was impressed how technically savvy they were in sales, and how easy it was to reschedule install appointments and get more info.

The installer came on time, but was kind of a jerk; instead of putting in a $3 video:data splitter on to my existing CATV cable, he spliced a coupler out in the hallway cable tray to run the new cable to my computer, left the old CATV cable without a connector - so he basically left a mess for the next guy who may later upgrade me for HDTV, and added more unnecessary DB loss on my line for future DOCSIS3 upgrading.

more bad luck as the first new RCA model DCM425 modem he tried had a DOA Ethernet port, and he got testy with me when i proved to him it was not my computer by showing a twinkling ethernet NIC card light while attached to my old Verizion Westell 7500 modem. I think these installers are so used to dealing with 80yo great grandmothers who just want to email their kids, that when a tech savvy customer comes along that questions their modus operandi, they can get easily flustered. I later discovered the working modem he left me was actually used for the past 6 Months according to the modems own EventLog.

My download order rating was 10mbps but I'm often seeing 12-16mbps during non primetime hours, and around 7-10mbps during primetime. my Latency to the 3rd Hop is 15-25ms, which seems impressive for a Broadband ISP.

* I knew on order I would get only 0.5mbps upload, but I'm pretty bummed out on how much that low latency bandwidth makes Video chat, VoIP, online games and even forum posting feel sluggish compared to the low Latency 0.8mbps upload I enjoyed with Verizon aDSL. I suspect the upload is compressed by the ISP, making it even more problematic for certain upload intensive applications.

Getting a new dynamic public IP is more cumbersome than it was on my Verizon aDSL modem, but at least it's possible if you have a router to alternate your mac address with your pc's mac.

wideband 30/5 DOCSIS3 is offered here for $20/mo more, so I may upgrade once I grow more confident in TWCable stability and reliably especially during primetime hours. I'll reevaluate in 3-6 months, and change my worst-best scores as they merit it: »testmy.net/quickstats/spypet

Mar'2012 first Month feedback;

* My upload seems to have been increased to 1mbps, download averages over 10mbps, and Latency is a respectable 20ms, so I'm very pleased with the performance and reliability thus far. I'm able to trip DHCP into giving me a new IP address by alternating between my PC's MAC and my extra Router's MAC address, and I find that ability comforting. now that my upload feels increased, I notice fewer upload compression symptoms, and upload intensive applications are more responsive.

I used online chat tech support for the first time, and am sad to report the live person seemed more interested in running through some unrelated diagnostic script that only demonstrated to me he had no real technical understanding of my question. I eventually found the answer I needed elsewhere just googling around for it.

Torrent users should be aware that TWCable seems very intrusive of such activity even if all you do is grab some TV episode you just missed, so a good third party Proxy/VPN or SeedBox is advised to protect your privacy and net neutrality. Since my 15/1 line cost me less than I was paying the far less intrusive Verizon, I don't mind paying someone else extra for a LeaseWeb based anonymizing service.

May'2012 deterioration:

My average speed has decreased from over 14/1 to 9/1 for no reason, but that is still near the 10/1 of Standard service speed. My area suffers a few hours of ISP service outage every 2 Months.

June'2012 intermittent:

I'm averaging 12/1 but my connection to the internet seems to lock up, and even though the activity lights look normal, i'm forced to power cycle the modem to get back on the web just about every other day.

Aug'2012 back on track:

I finally insisted TWCable do a premise visit by a Tech, not an installer. he could not find anything specifically wrong but swapped out my original install RCA modem for a Ubee. ever since then my line has been more consistent and I have not needed to power cycle my new modem.

Nov'2012 spotty routing:

I bought my own $28 factory reconditioned sb5101u docsis2 modem to avoid the monthly lease fee, and also benefited from a recent free speed increase given to all Standard plans.

I regret not getting a docsis3 but the few on their support list were over $100. It's a shame TWCable made us buy our own modems, since now it's far less likely I'll try their 30/5 wideband plan once my first year ends in

Feb'2013.

so now i'm enjoying 20/1 offpeak 15/1 peak with 2.0MB/s average instead of 1.2MB/s. routing issues continue to be TWCable's weak point, as I often get better connectivity to US sight while on my European VPN then I do right off my public IP domestically. with FiOS still a year away from being build up on my block, I'm glad for the speed and ability TWCable gave me to help keep things affordable.

April'2013 intermittent speed:

I suffered for a few weeks with poor routing and bad speed, so I called Tier 1 who escalated me to Tier 3, and all he saw as a just below threshold coax signal, so he ordered a premise visit. On my own volition, I changed the MAC of the device connected to my modem, power cycled and got a new dynamic public IP assigned to my modem. Sure enough that solved my problem as my speed and routing was back to normal, so I cancelled the premise visit - now I know to try this when I see similar symptoms. My guess is TWC somehow assigned two devices on their network the same IP, so we were both getting each other's packet traffic. I'm still tempted to upgrade to a docsis3 30/5 service - just waiting for confirmation from any local resident that my area enjoys 8/4 channel bonding. I continue to use a Romanian VPN provider for all P2P/Torrent traffic and regularly enjoy 1Mb/s transfer rates, so I can download an hour long 460p TV show in 6 minutes.

September'2013 intermittent modem resets:

My SB5101u docsis2 modem was rebooting every time I used over 60% of my bandwidth for more than 10 minutes. TWCable was willing to do a premise visit, but I suspected that a SB6141 docsis3 modem would fix the problem. my old docsis2 modem had out of date firmware that TWCable no longer would push updates to, and i suspected all the docsis3 upgrading to my local network was causing any out of date docsis2 equipment to grow unstable under stress. It seems my suspicious were correct as all my problem seem to clear up once my SB6141 was activated in it's place. After some brutal long duration download sessions the new modem stays on rock solid and I'm currently enjoying 8/4 down/up bound channels and low packet loss 16/1 speeds. The 20/1 speed I enjoyed for free 6 Months ago is gone as of July'13 as is all power boost caching. TWCable's CEO said we may all get a 10% speed increase to make it up to subscribers for their second lease fee increase from $4 to $6. when I notice that take effect I will update my review page here.

It's just a shame I didn't buy this SB6141 Oct'2012 when TWCable started charging lease fees, so I recommend anyone even if your service is 3mb or 15mb to still invest in a good docsis3 modem, since docsis2 equipment may no longer get up to date support by TWCable's network.

September'2014 IP & MAXX

In February Channels in use increase from 4:4 to 8:4, In June I agreed to pay more for 20/2 Turbo service. Early September TWC changed my IP and a week later I saw the MAXX increase: »i.imgur.com/0tST0LO.jpg but my firmware revision remains at Mar 12 2013, still no IPv6 support, and actual MB/s throughput is close to the 5x MAXX promised. I'm pleased with this free upgrade, but am worried it will cost me more next year once Comcast takes over - as I consume an average of 400GB per Month.

October'2014 minor changes

After extensive 100/10 real world application testing, I concluded I simply did not need all that bandwidth, so I downgraded to 15/1 standard now at 50/5 maxx and the re-provisioning call and actual change went smoothly »i.imgur.com/ZBmbisl.jpg I also saw the Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.14-SCM01-NOSH dated Mar 6 2014 got pushed out to my White SB6141, and I got IPv6 working on my TP-Link GB Router, so for $30/mo (coop bulk rate discounted) everything with TWC could not be better.

member for 9.7 years, 4277 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
xQim

join:2003-09-20
·Fairpoint Commun..

4 edits

Call Tech Support

Xtreme Package
Something is seriously wrong. I have a Residential Xtreme Package (30Mbps/5Mbps) which I get a steady 32Mbps/6Mbps + my expensive Business Package of (10Mbps/1.5Mbps) which i get 11Mbps/1.7Mbps. There is no reason that your speeds are that low. Are you using a 5MHz - 1000MHz splitter. How many splitters? Are you using an approved DOCSIS 3.0 modem? What gauge coaxial cable are you using to the modem and input line? Just trying to help.

Using a DOCSIS 2.0 modem for anything above Standard is a big no no. Bandwidth is all over the place plus tons of drops.

I am using a Motorola SB6141 and running 8 Downstream and 4 Upstream channels (Residential). Power Levels are perfect. Maybe check those? 192.168.100.1 and post the results.

Business Line is running a DOCSIS 2.0 Modem. Levels again are prefect.

And buy a Motorola SB6141 which can be had for $99 at Walmart. You will not regret it, plus you will save $8 in rental fees for a modem that is not suitable for your connection. Ubee is junk.

Here is a picture of what Xtreme should be.

Also attached is my Business Line, which seems to be well above advertised.
OpTiC

Packeteers
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY

Re: Call Tech Support

thanks, i asked a mod to remove xQim's silly post here, but no dice

Review by horacebork See Profile

• Location: 09001
Good "service, support, reliability, value"
Bad "price goes up. regularly."
Overall "basically good service. wish their internet-only rates were more competetive."

(note: i only use twc for my cable internet. i do not use them for tv as i receive good reception and am not interested in 95% of cable programming.)

originally was resold twc thru ny connect. ny connect was essentially a pass-thru company and offered no value-added services. twc handled all my technical and account level support, so ny connect was essentially of no added value.

we have had power or service disruptions on several occasions. in each instance, twc very supportive. nyc was working on the road in front of my building and cut the line at least twice. in both instances they were prompt sending out service staff to perform repairs. and when the repairs were not completed within a 24 hour period, they prorated my fees for the month.

this past december (2013) they offered a year-end deal. for $10 less they offered double the download and upload speeds. when i called in, they said this was for first time customers. however, the rep simply offered the discounted rate to me anyways. for that, i had to terminate my service with the essentially useless ny connect and directly subscribe with twc. perhaps that was what allowed them to offer me the discounted rate.

at one point they "changed" their service and were going to start "renting" the cable modem to me at $5/mo. i thought this was a little greedy so i bought a cable modem (listed on their approved list) for myself ($40 motorola surfboard). works fine. they even recognize it from their end.

they regularly increase their rates without increasing up/down speeds. this is really nervy. there is not much cost difference between 20mbs and 40mbs. but the price they increase my services far outstrips any difference incurred by greater up/down speeds.

oh well, i am hoping that i can renew my current monthly rate this december.

[update] converted my subscription form nyconnect to twc directly. ny connect offered no value added services. rates were higher than direct to twc.

member for 3.9 years, 904 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by rjbasye See Profile

• Location: Dry Ridge,Grant,KY
Good "Reliable, fast."
Bad "Sometimes it slows down in evenings. Wish it was cheaper."
Overall "Not bad but I wish there was more competition for broadband in my area."

·VOIPO
Still have the same Channel lineup as Insight Communications and not the national TWC Channel lineup. No start over and look back only the icon which when you select it it says sorry feature not available on all three of my DVR's. No DVR manager either as of this date. Would love to have more HD channels like TV Land, Oxygen and the full Encore HD suite also. Internet continues to be rock solid though in my area.

Updated 02/19/2014

Well, Nothing much changed in my area except price has increased for the same services I receive. My promo price has expired and I wish I could get internet a cheaper price since i am paying 79.99 for 30/5. Channel lineup currently is the same as it was with insight and I have lost Showtime 2 in HD for some reason it is only in SD since they settled their dispute with CBS. Don't know when that will return to the HD lineup. Reliability has been good since the TWC takeover with a few minor issues with pic freezing that were resolved in a short time. Overall I feel pricing should be cheaper but with little competition from Cincinnati Bell I don't expect that to change anytime soon. They need to offer more HD channels in my area also. Hopefully they will in the next few months when they finally offer the full TWC lineup in the former Insight Communications area.

It's been less than a month since Time Warner dropped the Insight name from their company and service has not changed from when it was Insight Communications. As I understand it, we have been on Time Warner's network since October 2012. They have went to 8 bonded channels download in my area, if you have a Docsis 3.0 modem that is capable of it. Time Warner has also updated the firmware of my Insight modem that they gave me.

Overall, I'm happy with the reliability of the service and speeds I get. I do notice every once in a while speeds degrade in the evenings but that is on a rare occasion. I have heard bad things about Time Warner but in my area things have not degraded from when it was Insight Communications. We'll see if that changes in the coming months and I will update this review if my service changes.

member for 14.7 years, 6744 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by chrisk01 See Profile

• Location: Garden Grove,Orange,CA
Good "Speed, no data caps, price"
Bad "Sales information, installation issues"
Overall "TWC has been very good as a service ... so far"

Ordered the 30mb/5mb plan (internet only, no TV/phone) over the phone on March 1st for a new condo I was moving into the following Monday.

Sales rep said the earliest tech available was for Friday March 7th. Sales rep never gave me an order number or took a phone number/email in case the installation tech needed to reach someone in case he/she had problems getting into the condo units. I tried out the online chat to see how that was and I talked to one 'analyst' who tried to upsell me on TV/phone, and another who told me he couldn't do anything and that I'd have to call in to get help. Called and got an order number and everything sorted out with another rep over the phone. Getting a live person was fairly quick on both calls in but I do not look forward to having to deal with customer support in the future.

Installer showed up earlier than expected and got to work installing the lines. The condo is pre-wired with a breakout box with runs of CAT5 to each room but the installer was not able to figure it out even after having a 'supervisor' show up to troubleshoot. The supervisor actually made a mistake in connecting the line which added more time to the installers work. The installation took nearly 3 hours and I felt like they cut corners to speed up them getting out of here. I have a friend who will be able to get everything sorted out but the installation was pretty bumpy and a little worrying sign of the quality of the company.

I was set up with an Arris DG860 modem/router and after everything was setup I did a few speed tests and everything seems to be running smooth. I've tested multiple times around 35mb/5mb up so I'm getting what was expected and even a little bit more but will need to see how the speed holds up in the upcoming weeks/months. I have read about issues about the wi-fi portion of the Arris unit so will be using my own wireless router and getting it set up in bridged mode to take over the wi-fi duties.

I mainly got TWC to act as a bandaid until either Sonic.net or DSLExtreme make their way to Orange County hopefully sometime later this year but if the speeds stay consistent with TWC I may stick it out until the end of the year to make sure the DSL offerings from the other companies gain a stable foundation in the area.

Very early impressions are :::

+ = Speeds, no caps, price (relative to what else is available in this area)

- = Sales information, installation issues.

I will update the review in the upcoming weeks/months if anything happens.

3/15/14 - 1 week later and the line has been quite solid. No noticeable downtime and I have had no problems being disconnected from streams or games.

I did receive an invoice for the first month and it had a page that said that the price of the service was jumping up $3 dollars starting next month. When I ordered the service the rep told me that the current prices would probably not change for the next year and then it does. The price changes affect a lot of TV/internet packages and this is something I'm sure the reps would know about and shouldn't mention that the prices won't change to new customers. $3 isn't a HUGE deal but it's still an upcharge that the rep shouldn't of mentioned at all and I'd have no reason to complain. For that I'm deducting a star from the pre-sales information.

9/21/14 - Service has been great since the start. Only a handful of issues in the time I've had it and most have been solved by a modem reboot. I was also upgraded to the 100/10 plan from 30/5 free of charge and I'm really happy with the service. Ratings updated.

Comments:

toobs

join:2014-05-01
Fountain Valley, CA

Downgrade to Turbo or Rent an new Modem

If you were getting 30/5, you should be getting 200/20 with the same Extreme package. If you are only getting 100/10 with your current modem, you should either rent an new modem from Time Warner that can handle MAXX (200/20, 300/20), or downgrade to Turbo (100/10) and save $10 a month.
chrisk01

join:2001-08-20
Garden Grove, CA

Re: Downgrade to Turbo or Rent an new Modem

Hey thanks for the heads up!

I did eventually call TWC and downgrade to the Turbo plan.