Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by DigitalTexan See Profile

• Location: Waco,Mclennan,TX
Good "The modem has not caught on fire."
Bad "Unreliable, Slow, Poor Customer Service, Nonexistent Tech Support, Overpriced, Unable to Provide The Advertised Service."
Overall "Avoid like the plague if you live in north Waco. Move somewhere with Grande if internet is important."

I ordered the Time Warner 30/5 package two years ago. For the first year, the service was decent. It would disconnect sometimes and slow down a bit during peak times, but it was stable enough.

I later moved out of the apartment I was living in to a duplex a few blocks away. That's when the issues started. For two months, I was being billed for services at both addresses even though I informed them I was moving and watched them disconnect the service from the old address. It took six months to get a refund ($138) for their billing error.

For the last six months, the connection is wildly unstable with highly variable speeds and huge amounts of packet loss during peak times. They have overloaded their infrastructure and do not plan on fixing it or crediting the bill of any of their subscribers. I have been hung up on by tech support more than once. Tech support believes that the issue is on my network even though I've provided plenty of evidence to the contrary including the fact that my neighbors are experiencing the same problems. I've been promised calls from tech support that I never received.

Time Warner are a bunch of crooks. They cannot provide the service they're selling and are out to take your money.

Comments:

Review by waycoolphil See Profile

• Location: Cathedral City,Riverside,CA
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Very fast, reliable and resonably priced."
Bad "Haven't found any bad points yet. I'm a happy camper."
Overall "Best choice if you don't live in a FiOS area."

·Verizon Online DSL
This is actually a completely new review. I had TWC Internet back in the '90s but switched to Verizon DSL when I moved to Cathedral City in the Coachella Valley. I switched to TWC Internet (15/1) and nationwide phone because Verizon's DSL could no longer keep up with Netflix HD. It is working great. I'm getting 16mbps down and a little over 1 up. The combined cost for both broadband and phone is $48/month for a year. I was paying Verizon $70 for the same thing. No contract. I bought a Motorola SB6141 modem so no monthly modem fee. (And TWC doesn't charge a modem fee for phone.) I chose not to get TV because I really like DirecTV and don't want to give it up. The installation was done by a contractor (not TWC employees) and it took way over the 2 hrs allotted for it. I love it so far. Everything is "as advertised." And it's a good thing I like it because Verizon is not going to install FiOS here so TWC is the only option if you want to stream HD video.

Comments:

Review by jmschu02 See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "They know they are horrible, when they were InsightBB they were good"
Bad "Connection Speeds aren't reliable, overselling nodes is rampade"
Overall "Pray that you don't have to use them"

I've been a loyal InsightBB customer for around 10 years, I have always used my own equipment. Although with Insight there were some bumps in the road after enough technical support calls a technician would actually resolve the issue. Sometimes it might of taken upwards of 2 weeks but never more than that.

With Insight's acquisition by Time Warner I now have been putting in technical calls continually. My bandwidth is suppose to be 50.0 downstream/ 5.0 upstream. However, since my node has been oversold (told to me by multiple technicians/and phone support operators) I actually receive between 18.4Mb/s down and 56.8Mb/s down it is much more common for the low side of this spectrum. My upstream is a solid 5.6Mb/s at all times.

I've now had 5+ on-site appointments for my internal network to be tested to prove that i've replaced all internal lines. My signals have been perfect every time I call or have a technician out. However, my speeds are still "fluctuating".

Finally after around 1 month of this back and forth they admitted that the issue is that my node is oversold and thereby overloaded. However, I was told within 1 month and 1 week they would break my node up into 2 nodes solving this issue. It has now been 2 months and 2 weeks, i've had to continually contact them (never the other way around). They are also now not showing up for my scheduled appointments...

I am at the end of my rope with them and will be moving to AT&T U-Verse although the maximum speeds in my area are only 18Mb/s they apparently actually give you the speed you pay for.

TimeWarner has yet to give my account a discount for the lack of meeting even the minimum required bandwidth for a 50.0 service which is 80% of the connection (40.0Mb/s)...For $172 a month to be jerked around like this, as well as my whole node being shorted on service is pathetic. It is worse than a snake oil salesmen at this point.

Comments:
DigitalTexan

join:2014-01-11
Waco, TX

I understand the feeling...

I'm having similar, but worse issues with them. High packet loss caused by them overselling nodes in my area. Unfortunately, they're the only game in town. AT&T doesn't offer U-Verse, the fastest AT&T connection is a capped 6Mbit DSL line. I hope you have better luck than I do trying to get a resolution.
jmschu02
join:2005-08-20
Louisville, KY

Re: I understand the feeling...

Yeah, i've been through a ton of tech support at this point. I'm also having packet lose because of the node being oversold. AT&T U-Verse is in my town but only 16Mb/s which is nothing compared to the 56.6Mb\s I used to get before they messed up my node.

Review by zach1008 See Profile

• Location: Florence,Boone,KY
Good "doesn't go out during bad weather"
Bad "price, product performace, customer service"
Overall "since they acquired insight, rates have gone up and service down"

·Cincinnati Bell
Had been an insight customer for years with tv and internet. Never had much of a complaint. The tv service was adequate and the internet worked. Yes, it is cable so the latency is a little higher than I would like and when all the neighbors hop on at night the speed did drop some. Once the added additional tiers of service were offered I upgraded to 20meg service. I work from home as an IT professional so this helped me out. They will not offer a static ip address which was unfortunate. However, as everyone knows, gone are the days of Insight and overall pretty decent service and customer service. Time Warner is in town now and it is a complete different story. I had not had my rates change much over 6 years with insight. Just received a letter from Time Warner about 30 days ago that my rates are going up. My bill stepped up about 30 dollars per month for the same tv and internet service I have had for several years now. in the last 6 weeks I have had at least 8 outages of all services. Anytime I have called they just tell me there is an outage and techs are working on it. I shared my frustrations with one agent thanking them for charging me more money and provider lower quality of service. Typical enterprise mentality. Fioptics in being installed in the form of FTTN so I think it will be worth my chances to give them a try. Time warner whole home DVR is constantly freezing, rebooting, not recording and just is a plain PITA. I do completely agree with others in this site that we need better competition in the Cincinnati Area.

Comments:

Review by Pegasus See Profile

• Location: united state
Good "Stable speeds. Lots of HD. Better appointment times. Whole home DVR works great. No fee's for paying bill on the phone."
Bad "The dedicated support call center for signature home is poor. Only get two boxexs included. "
Overall "Service is reliable. Tech support is iffy but gets the job done. Field tech's are first class & the little perks are great. "

Signed up for signature home on 7/14/2013, Installed on 7/21/2013

Ordering was pretty smooth. spoke with a very nice woman who was easy to understand and pleasant & excited about what she was selling.

Installation was quick & painless. Tech sat down with my family & myself before installing anything to go over all the services and to make sure it suited all of our needs. after that all the cable outlets were tested & the tech was shown where all the equipment was to be placed.

For cable boxes i was given 2 Cisco 8742HDC.

For data & phone i kept the dual modem set up i already had, Arris for data & Technicolor for the home phone.

The only real complaint i have about signature home thus far are:

1. should include one client box included in the 199.99 price.

2. The call center for signature home is iffy. its hit or miss. Its not a terrible, the agents are never rude or unhelpful but sometimes it feels like the agents are in training & they are nervous.

Things i rave about:

1. No stupid fee's for paying over the phone, or paying by check over the phone.

3. Im never on hold when i call

4. The appointment times are fantastic. no waiting around for a tech.

5. The field techs. only the best of the best tech's do signature home appointments. this is really great. in the past before signature home ive had some very rude lousy techs.

Overall its just nice to have a cable company kiss my keister, even if its just a peck.

member for 6.3 years, 118 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by BangBang See Profile

• Location: Fairview,Bergen,NJ
Bad "SDV tuner sucks"

Using a cablecard with Ceton tuner and STA1520 Cisco SDV tuner. Constantly having to reboot the Cisco to regain most used channel. Replaced the SDV tuner 2x already. No other options for me:(

member for 13.8 years, 5094 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by wcnghj See Profile

• Location: Rumford,Oxford,ME
Good "No contract, good promotional pricing, and good pricing afterwards."
Bad "Non-US based reps were clueless about self installation of customer owned modem. "

·Great Works Inte..
After sticking it out with DSL since 2008, I became tired of the poor upload performance with no potential for improvement with ADSL2+. Headed over to Walmart, picked up a Motorola Surfboard eXtreme and plugged it in. I was brought to the automated provisioning page. The Time Warner website has no option for a self installation in my area, so I just picked an installation date a few weeks out. I called the number given on the walled garden for tech support, and they said my order was not in the system yet. After dealing with customer service and having it entered, I was finally able to speak with a competent rep who just asked for my MAC address and cancelled the service appointment.

TW seems to be doing over-provisioning in the area, and speeds are around 15-16/1-1.15 on the Standard 15/1 plan. The price is $34.99 for 12 months and $39.99 after.

»www.speedtest.net/result/3199080812.png

Comments:
modem_reset

join:2010-05-27

twc vs adsl

the speeds I can live with (7x1)..I would like faster, but not at the cost of not having internet.
The last storm in the area I was down for ~5 days on Cable..0 on dsl.. just saying for me speeds are not everything, reliability is more important.

Review by mcgrory See Profile

• Location: Cary,Wake,NC
Good "Can troublshoot your connection online, better than anyone else with Cable Cards, few outages."
Bad "Very Expensive, especially in an area where they have Uverse and town thinking of creating own broadband."
Overall "TV stations can take up to 4 Channels, SDV doesn't work well, so no clue why they need new tech to get to 100mb! Very expensive"

Uses a Ubee Gateway, seems to charge you twice for whole house internet. Cisco M-Cards are easy to intall over the phone unlike some MSO's but Time Warner lazy about putting copyright flag on everything, which wasn't FCC's intention and other operators don't do. (See TiVo discussion board for example.) Phones, tabs start not making connections when 5-6 devices online, wired or wireless!
TWC blacks out programming providers all the time . . but then after a very long time back down so nothing is gained for the subscriber.
Will try to make a service call any time you report a problem, but if you fight with them enough, they will fix it from their RR HQ with a signal.
TWC DVR is bad.
Constantly marketing to get you to try things like Security services.

Since they use SDV, you need a tuning adapter for cable.
Offers MacAfee, few other perks and lots of HD space/email accounts.
No 3D
Gets most networks on mobile device (ESPN3, Showtime, etc.)
Program guide a nightmare because of duplication of channels for no reason (OTA from 1-100, 2 SD's anywhere from 101-1498, HD's over 1500, Premium multiplex channels are often carried only on the 300-500 tier, so if you just look at the HD channels you never see them. Channels go up into the 1900's!
Charge more than they should for "nominal fee" items like cable cards.
But again, cable and internet blackouts are EXTREMELY rare. Once or twice a year.

Comments:

Review by PamelaTS See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
Good "Ping down to 21, 20.64/2.06 up/down"
Bad "A bit expensive"
Overall "Blows CLEAR away"

It cost them no more to deliver higher speed. It's about profit they could NOT throttle speed down and deliver higher speed for the same cost or lower They just wouldn't make the profit.

Still calling CLEAR and paying the one month ETF glad to be rid of it!

---- Clear waived the ETF ONE MONTH to end of contract.

--- Update ----
I have since dotted TWC TV services lousy customer service, unreliable. Internet service billing errors. When I dotted the tv services my intent rate hacked up. Because some jerk customer service bundled me against my express insistence against bundling. I threatened to dump them and got it fixed. I have had to reboot (owned SB6141) modem a few times after service interruptions.

member for 10 years, 1296 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jazz57 See Profile

• Location: Cathedral City,Riverside,CA
Good "Reliability improved in recent years"
Bad "Poor upload speed"
Overall "Better than DSL though not as good as it could be in upload perfmance"

I've had Time Warner Desert Cities since 2001. I started with 3M down and 384k up way back then. Now it's advertised as 15/1 but apparently over-provisioned slightly to make up for removal of powerboost, a feature that gave us a brief burst to the cable's full bandwidth.

Over the years I've had two issues with poor signal quality which were rectified by truck-rolls. Initial calls to tech support weren't helpful and I had to talk to three different people before they'd send someone out. The techs they did finally send were helpful though. More recently TWC has installed some auto monitoring systems to proactively fix problems on the network and in the last year they've upgraded to DOCSIS 3. I purchased a D3 modem to avoid the monthly $6 fee. They currently bond 4 downstream channels but only use one upstream channel in the old D1.1 mode.

That leads me to my major complaint, namely the lack of upstream bandwidth. I regularly upload HD videos to YouTube and at the recommended bitrate of 8Mb/s, a 20 minute video takes over 2 1/2 hours. I wish they would offer at least 10Mbits of upstream, but alas the fastest they offer is 5Mbits, on par with Sprint's LTE network. They need to step up their game here. My brother gets 35Mbits up on FiOS.

Otherwise the service is OK. Reliability since the above mentioned problems has been good and it definitely beats DSL. Time Warner should set their sights higher, though, and try to beat FiOS and the emerging wireless networks before it's too late. 4G tethering, anybody?