Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by CaliNine See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "The speeds are stable but my internet drops 2-3 a day."
Bad "The router and technical support."
Overall "Great price for the speeds you get."

Switched back to time warner, the speeds are good, really stable at peak times but my internet drops 2-3 times a day and I have to reset both my modem and router which is annoying. Other than that Time Warner is the only company who offers 100mbps+ in my area for a good price. Also the modem they provide is horrible I'd suggest buying one yourself.

member for 129 days, 190 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by WhatNow See Profile

• Location: Laurinburg,Scotland,NC
Good "Has been reliable. The only service was a few calls to reset the cable box."
Bad "I had the 3 play until they wanted to charge a monthy fee for the modem."
Overall "Only choice I have for internet. Service has gotten pricey. "

TWC is the only choice I have for internet. Sometimes I think the node is overloaded occasionally but it may be the sites I am streaming. Only one time in 7 years have I felt the help rep was feeding me a line. The other three or four times the techs were very professional. Normally a cable box reset fixed the problem never had a truck roll.

When TWC decided to charge the monthly fee I bought my own modem and dropped the VoIP. That saved me about $40/mo. I seldom made any calls and most of the calls I got were sales calls. In the end I saved a lot of money. The price keeps going up on the TV / internet and if I could get OTA I would cut the cord. Live too far from all but one TV tower for OTA. I use the Primetime on Demand often to catch after 10 o clock shows.

member for 5.3 years, 799 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

DocsisCat
join:2013-10-10
Princeton, TX

... OTA ...

Pardon, ... what does OTA stand for? If it's, "Over the Air", what is that, please?
macbookguy

join:2008-02-08

Re: ... OTA ...

said by DocsisCat:

When it comes to broadcasting, OTA does mean Over the Air. That means free signals being broadcast from a station that you can pick up with an antenna.

Review by CJ777 See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Very reliable Internet, digital phone, tv"
Bad "I still think this is overpriced compared to what you would pay for similar services in many parts of Asia and Europe. "
Overall "TWC is the only reasonable choice in my area, compared to slow DSL. "

Overall, I'm satisfied with my service. Where I live, there really is no other decent choices. Only competitor for Internet is AT&T DSL (No thanks!) I'm just really disappointed overall with the monopolies in our country. No competition=higher prices. TWC also has very ridiculous Internet speeds as well. I can only get a measly 2GB upload, but I know that will finally change sometime this year when TWC Maxx is rolled out.

member for 9.9 years, 821 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by lincolnlogs See Profile

• Location: Brea,Orange,CA
Good "fast broadband speeds, friendly customer service"
Bad "does not respond well to outages, very expensive"

I have twc, and am considering dropping it as soon as a viable alternative arises. The fact that a customer of 8 years has to wait 48 hours for service for a total service outage is beyond ridiculous. If you can, avoid twc.

Comments:

Busboy

@174.239.226.x

Time warner cable

Don't deal with this company it blows terrible customer service and ripoff too bad comcast can't be everywhere

DocsisCat
join:2013-10-10
Princeton, TX

... TWC ...

Location: Dallas, TX.
Cost: $178. month. (TV & 10-MBps Internet)

They have raised my rate twice in the past 4 months. $12. each.

Review by bandit90 See Profile

• Location: Cincinnati,Hamilton,OH
Good "Good connection relaibility, whole house dvr"
Bad "You have to pay to extra to get decent support and not to be transfered to a foreign call center aka Signature Home"
Overall "Prices are high but if you need a reliable connection and or latest technology Time Warner Cable is your best option"

Time Warner Cable so far has been a good experience with their Signature Home Service in regards to the support. I do not like the fact that I have to pay for decent support that is not outside the united states and that they also know how to do their job. Not only that if you do not subscribe to their Signature Home be prepared to wait for an appointment, it could be a week or longer. The final straw at last before I gave in and paid for support, I already should be getting. I was always being routed to the Caribbean no mater when I called in it was always the Caribbean. Other than that their service's so far have been rock solid.

Comments:

Review by Millenium See Profile

Comments:

JimMcCoy

join:2011-08-20
Jacksonville, NC

FYI

Bills are not sent out / generated, if you have a credit on the account greater than your billing price.

Review by Steven94 See Profile

• Location: Jackson Heights,Queens,NY
Good "Decent price for 100/5, provisioned slightly higher at around 115/6, no caps"
Bad "Significant slowdowns during peak times *Fixed, impending Comcast merger"
Overall "Only option available other than DSL and Wireless. Decent service."

For the price the service isn't that bad for 50/5 service. There is currently an issue with my Node/CMTS which causes the slowdown at peak times but once that's fixed, I should be back to solid reliable service.

Update February 2014:

Speeds were upgraded to 100/5. Service is still unreliable due to the still unresolved Node/CMTS utilization issue. It is now about 5 months in since this issue started. I would love to use the speeds that I am subscribed to but I can only do so during hours that I don't use the internet. On weekdays, from around 5PM, it slows down significantly to speeds that are not even half of my previous tier 50/5. On weekends, it is consistently slow throughout the whole day. I have been receiving $30 credits for this issue but that was after a complaint filed with the NYC DoITT (my local franchising authority) and the FCC. Still no ETA on when a fix will be implemented. Will update when that happens.

Update April 2014:

Now 6 months in, and I was informed by Client Relations that my node will be split and all I can do is wait. Hopefully this will happen soon as the issue still persists. No ETA on when the work will be completed.

Update April 24, 2014:

Finally, after about 7 months, service seems to be back to normal. As an added benefit, it appears the "Maxx" upgrade is imminent as I now have 16x4 bonding now. I now get speeds slightly higher than what I am subscribed to at about 113 Mbps Down and 6 Mbps Up. Speeds also remain relatively consistent throughout the day.

member for 3.1 years, 591 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by silverforte See Profile

• Location: Kannapolis,Cabarrus,NC
Good "When it works, it works okay."
Bad "It doesn't work often"
Overall "US will never have functional internet"

The US has never had decent internet services compared to the rest of the world. Places like Korea or Japan where decent internet is offered at REASONABLE prices, and it actually WORKS. I had to deal with Windstream's bullshit for years. Dozens of phone calls, usually lasting an hour or more at a time, techs with attitudes coming over and telling me there was nothing wrong with the line despite actual proof I had that there was packet loss and dealing with people on this website who refused to believe there was any packet loss in my network despite hours upon hours I spent producing results in the form of smokepings, tracerts, pathpings, screenshots of game latency meters and more. Eventually, they took remote control of a neighbor to fix a problem they had and noticed the packet loss for themselves, then admitted to me that it was an issue and still did not fix it. Now, I switch to Time Warner internet. 12 down, 1 up. Does it work?

No. I can just barely buffer the first 60 seconds of a youtube video and, sometimes, nothing at all. Not even Google. It spikes, it goes out just enough that it seems like I'm getting a trickle of bandwidth but it isn't 100% off. So, I go from this nightmare with Windstream to the same thing with Time Warner. I even bought a router recently so I could better monitor the traffic in the line and put better security on it as I try my best to track the issue down since the fucking companies can't do it. And then what happens? I get told by people on this website that I will be receiving a call from a tech at TW who would relay information about the checks they supposedly did on my line. The guy calls, BARELY speaks English and tells me there is nothing wrong with my line about 15 times as if he was reading a script.

I have proof in front of me from multiple sources that there are nodes on my network that have latency issues and dropped packets repeatedly, not just once or twice. Almost every time I ping a network, packets are dropped. I'm getting NOWHERE with this company! It seems like no matter what you get, in the US, you're going to have problems! The issues are across the board with these ISPs. People who say they don't have problems are just not aware of them. Perhaps they don't know enough about the systems to realize there is an issue, perhaps they don't use the internet hard enough or often enough to really test the system and bring the issues out to the surface, but they are there. This merger just makes this situation worse. This country needs to get its act together! You ISPs can only milk people for so long! When the tides turn, you'll be left high and dry if you don't get in shape!

Comments:
silverforte

Techs

I forgot to mention that the techs were extraordinarily rude and did not want to rip up the old lines from 5+ years ago and install new ones until we insisted. Then, the line is basically just sticking out of a hole in the wall about 2 ft off the ground, the disc that prevents air from getting through the hole around the wire is falling off and both the boxes outside the house were left wide open.

I was on the microphone over Xbox live with a friend in the same state as me about an hour away who also has TWC. He has packet loss as well. Both of us lost connection to the internet the other day at the same time and it came back. It has been happening repeatedly. It's not just me!

Re: Techs

Not all the US has total crap for internet. When I was on Time warner cable I thought that the internet must still be a beta product it was so bad. Century link also was total crap.

Comcast how ever does work and gives speeds at lest some what fitting for 2014. You can read my own reviews if you want.

Re: Techs

US is 10th in world ranking for internet reliability. Your one experience doesn't change the facts. Every single person I know has terrible internet problems. People I know in different states, people on different coasts. It doesn't matter if 'not all' of the US has bad internet. Enough of it does that it's a problem.

said by silverforte:

I never disagreed that the US has an internet problem. In fact I was trying to agree that the USA needs to get it's crap together.

Time warner cable doesn't care how high your packet loss is they won't fix it and century link well if it works at all then you hit the jack pot. Or if your only getting 1/10 of the upto speed, but hey you can "upgrade" to the next highest tier for $5 less for your "trouble".

Comcast is guilty of overselling there network to the point I only get 1/3 of the upto speed at any given time day or night.

I had a tech from TWC who didn't want to replace the cable out side the home that had split in half.

Trust me when I say I know the US has a real internet issue that needs to be fixed. Most of the US feels like they are still beta testing the internet in 2014 and that is just beyond reason at this point in the modern world.

Re: Techs

I'm actually barely able to get online at this point. I think the packet loss has subsided but now my modem resets itself randomly about 10 times a day, my phone doesn't work randomly and our TV channels sometimes don't come in or are distorted. A field tech replaced my modem, took the battery out of the new one and left without checking the box across the road. Nothing was fixed.

said by silverforte:

That sounds likely due to packet loss, good luck getting the time warner cable mob of NC to fix it. I know how much they suck due to living with TWC's crap for over 10 years.

I would get 404 more than %50 of the time even when TWC said "its working fine". Some web pages after trying to stay on to long like google thought I was DOS attacking them and lock me out for a few hours by IP address.

The issue is even worse here in NC than in other places like NYC or LA. They treat towns with no choice like dirt and the techs for the most part simply just do not give a dump. One tech even told me "It's not like you have a choice, be glad you get internet at all".
For those who chose there own fears over liberty will only dig them self's deeper into the pit of darkness. For those who chose to blame tools over each other for wrong doing, it will only lead to madness. -Unknown

Re: Techs

Dead on. NC is a terrible state for internet. I've moved 3 times since I got back in NC in 2008. All three residents, I went between Windstream and timewarner trying to get functional internet. Not one fucking time in my life since 2008 have I been able to accomplish that. The techs never know what to do, they get rude if you present them with a situation that they are not capable of dealing with and nothing ever gets done. Can you imagine how much time and money they could save themselves if they just fixed the issues the first time? If they actually put more effort into checking the lines and diagnosing problems?

Review by Snowy See Profile

• Location: Kailua,Honolulu,HI
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (month by month)
Good "Oceanic Cable Vision is the local provider for TimeWarner, this provides a more local avenue for problem resolution"
Bad "Customer perks are available, but not apparent to most customers"
Overall "Hawaii Telcom has become the new DSL provider in my area & I assume they'll give RR a run for the money."

·Clearwire Wireless
There's no question that in The State of Hawaii TWC (Oceanic Cable) is the go to ISP.
Their competitor's best speed is slower than TWC basic.
If you're not fast you're last.

Oceanic (TWC) finally has some competition in the Speed Dept.
hawaiiantel.com is offering:
Fiber 500
High-Speed Internet
Up to 500 Mbps download
Up to 50 Mbps upload
While TWC's fastest plan offers 100 Mbps/5 Mbps
Too bad the now faster speed is offered by hawaiiantel.com which IMO is plagued by incompetent service issues due to the unmotivated, under trained CSR's that don't give a shit about hawaiiantel.com & even less for it's customers.
If you enjoy over billing, extended outages, extremely long telephone hold times, missed service appointments then hawaiintel.com may be a good option to Oceanic.
hawaiiantel.com's 500Mbps/50Mbps is priced @ $345/month with the added value being the McAfee Internet Security Software it comes with

member for 11.4 years, 6454 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

ranchocal

@verizon.net

I dunno

Looks like Hawaiian Tel is turning their service around while TWC is letting the trainwreck that is Comcast absorb it. I sense a slight bias in this review.

Snowy
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
·Clearwire Wireless

Re: I dunno

said by ranchocal :

I sense a slight bias in this review.

I must have understated my total contempt for hawaiiantel.com.
An office move a few years back was planned to most miniscule detail for a seamless transition.
hawaiiantel.com took 2 weeks to move the phone lines which almost bankrupted me.
Considering the wiring was supposed to be completed a week prior to move in, not 2 weeks after the move, I am an acknowledged vocal opponent of hawaiiantel.com.

The CS support is humorous in retrospect.
Me: "You're 3 days late getting my phone service up & running - it's killing me - when will the service get installed?
Them: "You're service was installed last week - it must be the wiring within your office - we are not responsible for them once installed
Me: "That's the problem - no one has been here to install anything
Them: "Our records indicate otherwise..."
2 frigging weeks to convince them that their records were incorrect.

Review by DinnerOut See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "The price at 34.99 is OK"
Bad "Their customer service is awful"
Overall "I'm scared when and if it tuns into Comcast"

In a new place, own my own modem. The service has been alright.

Their billing and customer service is awful. Updated an auto pay credit card and they still billed my old card, took an act of Congress to get it refunded, and they refund the wrong card.

I am very close to calling WOW.