Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by drgonzo See Profile

• Location: Lenexa,Johnson,KS
Good "Fast professional install. Better than advertised speeds. Happy customer!"
Bad "Cut out a bunch of old coax that I was going to use without asking"
Overall "Good price, no contract or caps, better than advertised speeds. TWC is getting it, at least in my market!"

Went online to order service due to U-Verse raising my rates over $75 a month on the same day my contract ended with them. Looked at all the competitors in my area - I have three providers to choose from. Decided to cut the 'TV Cable' as we don't use it enough and just stick with internet. They had no install dates that worked for me so I engaged their chat assistance and was able to sign up for service there. I signed up for the 30m package which was 54.99 + 5.99 modem rental. The chat person was able to get me an install on Saturday morning - hooray!

Tech came out at 8:30am +/- and proceeded to clean up some of the coax wiring that the previous owner left behind. However, I had coax run and terminated to the box outside for each room in the house (x7) and he proceeded to cut the ends off of all of those and then sealed the box back up. So, if I ever decided to put an antenna up or re-subscribe for internet, I am a bit hosed unless I want to replace all of the coax ends or have the tech do it. Ugh. Whatever. He did an extremely clean job with the wiring - I was completely impressed by his professionalism! He ran a new line to my office which is where I wanted the CPE and it was a fairly long run.

Service came online using an Arris dg860 and initial speed tests have been running around 57-57m this entire week - to be clear, I have used countless speed tests and they are all consistent with this speed. Keep in mind, I signed up for the 30m package. Downloads and such are consistent with these findings.

So far I am very pleased with the service. Much better than subscribed or advertised fees. No peak slow downs or drops anytime. Very professional and quick installation. No contract, competitive rates, no data caps. I am very happy at this time. Lets see how it goes!

Comments:

drgonzo
Buy the ticket, take the ride
join:2002-10-28
Kansas City

Value for money

I was hesitant to rate value for money so high but here is why I did it.

I am getting nearly 60m service for the price of 30m service. The price for that is higher than I like but its better than the contract and close to same price for 18m service that ATT UVerse wanted and its better than the 2 year contract Surewest/Everest/CCI wanted me to sign. I am waiting for Google Fiber to finally hit my neighborhood this year, so I didn't want to be tied into a contract.

Also, and very important here...NO CAP! So, all of those factors make the 61 or so a month totally worth it! I guess value for money is in the eye of the bill payer???

DataRiker
join:2002-05-19

Re: Value for money

Time Warner has done a complete 180 in the KC metro since Google started eating away large swaths of customers.

I have Time Warner at my house and I am getting fantastic service, which ironically I thank Google for.

I have already signed up for Google though, Time Warner can't touch 1000 / 1000 mbit/s for only 5 more dollars.

Review by LadyL See Profile

• Location: Lorain,Lorain,OH
Overall "reliable"

Service is ok for what I need.
Nothing new,other than the price increase...which is getting ridiculous !

member for 12 years, 5670 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by OvrQualified See Profile

• Location: Winter Park,Orange,FL
Good "Speedy, fairly reliable, good customer service experience"
Bad "When it's down, it's DOWN; support coordination could be better"
Overall "Good value, great service, but call your local offices if you have problems"

I ordered residential RoadRunner from Bright House (formerly Time Warner) a several months ago. As I recall, the install was quick, and both technicians were very professional (one came to run the cable, the other brought the cable modem and tested the lines).I've had a fairly constant 2000/384 kbps service, and found the service to be reliable. The supplied Toshiba PCX1100 works great and I don't experience slowdowns at any time during the day. The modem is hooked into my Nortel Contivity 1010 gateway and RR supplies DHCP to the gateway.The service has only been down thrice--once due to a downed pole (drunk driver) the other was due to a blown on-pole amplifier (the one in my backyard), and the most recent outage was due to having my tap disconnected accidentally. I've found that the national helpdesk was of no help and only when I called the local customer service number did I receive competent, up-to-date information (after I had them understand that I was technically oriented--I do networks for a living--they skipped all of the usual steps and went straight to checking connectivity to my modem). A service call was required for the second incident--the technician came the same day and changed the on-pole amplifier--he was on time and very courteous as well.All in all, I've found RoadRunner in Winter Park to be a reliable, enjoyable, and speedy way to get online...I love it!

Updated 31 August, 2004.

Hurricane Charley came and left and it took Bright House a full 17 days to restore cable service to our area. I really only have one complaint about the whole thing: they didn't keep their customers or the media abreast of the restoration efforts (like the 4 major utilities did). At any rate, they helped me set up a free dial-up connection in the meantime and they're going to credit my account for the 17 days, so it was all good.

Updated 9 November, 2005.

Well, another year has come and gone, and my RR connection continues to serve me well. The connection is stable, and I'm averaging 4800/256. No real problems cropped up this year--short of a tap accidentally getting disconnected (and getting subsequently credited for the outage of my cable--customer service was apologetic and helpful to resolve it).

Updated 2 December, 2006.

My RoadRunner connection continues to provide quick, reliable broadband service. This year, the speed was upped to an average of 7900/512. One service note: my original Toshiba PCX1100 cable modem bit the dust by power cycling every 20 minutes and was replaced next day by a Bright House tech with a new Terayon TJ715. Local customer service continues to be responsive and helpful. No real complaints here. National service desk on the other hand...well, that's a different ballgame altogether. I prefer not to call them.

Updated 18 May, 2014.

Bright House continues to provide fast, reliable service with minimal downtime, I switched to business class last year and continue to be pleased with speeds and service.

member for 12.6 years, 5065 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by CaliNine See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "The speeds are stable but my internet drops 2-3 a day."
Bad "The router and technical support."
Overall "Great price for the speeds you get."

Switched back to time warner, the speeds are good, really stable at peak times but my internet drops 2-3 times a day and I have to reset both my modem and router which is annoying. Other than that Time Warner is the only company who offers 100mbps+ in my area for a good price. Also the modem they provide is horrible I'd suggest buying one yourself.

member for 142 days, 205 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by WhatNow See Profile

• Location: Laurinburg,Scotland,NC
Good "Has been reliable. The only service was a few calls to reset the cable box."
Bad "I had the 3 play until they wanted to charge a monthy fee for the modem."
Overall "Only choice I have for internet. Service has gotten pricey. "

TWC is the only choice I have for internet. Sometimes I think the node is overloaded occasionally but it may be the sites I am streaming. Only one time in 7 years have I felt the help rep was feeding me a line. The other three or four times the techs were very professional. Normally a cable box reset fixed the problem never had a truck roll.

When TWC decided to charge the monthly fee I bought my own modem and dropped the VoIP. That saved me about $40/mo. I seldom made any calls and most of the calls I got were sales calls. In the end I saved a lot of money. The price keeps going up on the TV / internet and if I could get OTA I would cut the cord. Live too far from all but one TV tower for OTA. I use the Primetime on Demand often to catch after 10 o clock shows.

member for 5.4 years, 803 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

DocsisCat
join:2013-10-10
Princeton, TX

... OTA ...

Pardon, ... what does OTA stand for? If it's, "Over the Air", what is that, please?
macbookguy

join:2008-02-08

Re: ... OTA ...

said by DocsisCat:

When it comes to broadcasting, OTA does mean Over the Air. That means free signals being broadcast from a station that you can pick up with an antenna.

Review by CJ777 See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Very reliable Internet, digital phone, tv"
Bad "I still think this is overpriced compared to what you would pay for similar services in many parts of Asia and Europe. "
Overall "TWC is the only reasonable choice in my area, compared to slow DSL. "

Overall, I'm satisfied with my service. Where I live, there really is no other decent choices. Only competitor for Internet is AT&T DSL (No thanks!) I'm just really disappointed overall with the monopolies in our country. No competition=higher prices. TWC also has very ridiculous Internet speeds as well. I can only get a measly 2GB upload, but I know that will finally change sometime this year when TWC Maxx is rolled out.

member for 9.9 years, 838 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by lincolnlogs See Profile

• Location: Brea,Orange,CA
Good "fast broadband speeds, friendly customer service"
Bad "does not respond well to outages, very expensive"

I have twc, and am considering dropping it as soon as a viable alternative arises. The fact that a customer of 8 years has to wait 48 hours for service for a total service outage is beyond ridiculous. If you can, avoid twc.

Comments:

Busboy

@174.239.226.x

Time warner cable

Don't deal with this company it blows terrible customer service and ripoff too bad comcast can't be everywhere

DocsisCat
join:2013-10-10
Princeton, TX

... TWC ...

Location: Dallas, TX.
Cost: $178. month. (TV & 10-MBps Internet)

They have raised my rate twice in the past 4 months. $12. each.

Review by bandit90 See Profile

• Location: Cincinnati,Hamilton,OH
Good "Good connection relaibility, whole house dvr"
Bad "You have to pay to extra to get decent support and not to be transfered to a foreign call center aka Signature Home"
Overall "Prices are high but if you need a reliable connection and or latest technology Time Warner Cable is your best option"

Time Warner Cable so far has been a good experience with their Signature Home Service in regards to the support. I do not like the fact that I have to pay for decent support that is not outside the united states and that they also know how to do their job. Not only that if you do not subscribe to their Signature Home be prepared to wait for an appointment, it could be a week or longer. The final straw at last before I gave in and paid for support, I already should be getting. I was always being routed to the Caribbean no mater when I called in it was always the Caribbean. Other than that their service's so far have been rock solid.

Comments:

Review by Millenium See Profile

Comments:

JimMcCoy

join:2011-08-20
Jacksonville, NC

FYI

Bills are not sent out / generated, if you have a credit on the account greater than your billing price.

Review by Steven94 See Profile

• Location: Jackson Heights,Queens,NY
Good "Decent price for 100/5, provisioned slightly higher at around 115/6, no caps"
Bad "Significant slowdowns during peak times *Fixed, impending Comcast merger"
Overall "Only option available other than DSL and Wireless. Decent service."

For the price the service isn't that bad for 50/5 service. There is currently an issue with my Node/CMTS which causes the slowdown at peak times but once that's fixed, I should be back to solid reliable service.

Update February 2014:

Speeds were upgraded to 100/5. Service is still unreliable due to the still unresolved Node/CMTS utilization issue. It is now about 5 months in since this issue started. I would love to use the speeds that I am subscribed to but I can only do so during hours that I don't use the internet. On weekdays, from around 5PM, it slows down significantly to speeds that are not even half of my previous tier 50/5. On weekends, it is consistently slow throughout the whole day. I have been receiving $30 credits for this issue but that was after a complaint filed with the NYC DoITT (my local franchising authority) and the FCC. Still no ETA on when a fix will be implemented. Will update when that happens.

Update April 2014:

Now 6 months in, and I was informed by Client Relations that my node will be split and all I can do is wait. Hopefully this will happen soon as the issue still persists. No ETA on when the work will be completed.

Update April 24, 2014:

Finally, after about 7 months, service seems to be back to normal. As an added benefit, it appears the "Maxx" upgrade is imminent as I now have 16x4 bonding now. I now get speeds slightly higher than what I am subscribed to at about 113 Mbps Down and 6 Mbps Up. Speeds also remain relatively consistent throughout the day.

member for 3.1 years, 602 visits, last login: a few hours ago