Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by fritzeflink See Profile

• Location: Gardena,Los Angeles,CA
Bad "Deceptive Speed Claims"
Overall "They're cheating"

I have the Standard internet from them with "up to" 15 MBs download. According to dslreports.com I get about 3-7 Mbs depending on the time of the day. When I download from youtube and calculate the speed there, its about the same. When downloading multiple files, the top speed is correctly split up between the files, so I am getting consistent speed results with multiple methods. Yet when complaining to them, the told me to go their website "http://speedtest.west.rr.com/" which, when looking at my browser's history, even identifies itself as "Time Warner Cable Bandwidth Speed Test" and BANG! Withing less than half a second that "speedstest" shows that I'm getting 16 MBs. Wow, even 1 Mbs free, aint TWC great!

So my conclusion is I'm paying 50$ a months for crappy speed and they're lying in my face. I'm checking out ATT DSL now, which is the only other option in my area.

Comments:
mtn_area

join:2013-11-20
Crestline, CA

Well

I'm going to go ahead and be that guy. You are getting 15mbit within Time Warner's network. They make no guarantee for speeds outside of their network because it's not in their control. If a link is saturated at a Level3/Cogent/XO/younameit POP then it'll slow things down, no matter the ISP going through it.

Beach Area

@rr.com

Re: Well

I'm going to be the other guy. Why would someone want to base their tests only on the Time Warner network?
bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY

Re: Well

To be fair it is listed as UP TO. And any other ISP could have the same issue. I would venture ATT DSL would be slower.
smcallah

join:2004-08-05
Home
Because TWC has no control outside their network. Yet they can achieve the speeds they sell.

If you run a speed test to a site and only get 7meg, that doesn't prove you're not getting 15meg. Far from it. You have no idea if the speed test server is overloaded or there happens to be a congestion problem getting to it outside of TWC's network.

Many times you can download 2 or more things at once that add up to 15megs when you can only get maybe 7megs from 1 of the sources at a time.

That is how ALL NETWORKS function.

Review by swintec See Profile

• Location: Alfred,York,ME
Good "Reliable, Consistent Service. Still Unlimited."
Bad "Few More Hiccups Than I Had With Adelphia"
Overall "Really The Only Game In Town, However They Are Decent"

March 2014- Have the Extreme Tier. Still no speed caps which is great. Consistently get my speeds. Very few outages. I hope this isnt my last TW review update. Comcast may be taking over soon.

December 2011 Update- Things are still okay. Slow downs during prime usage hours is beginning to wear on my nerves. Fairpoint DSL is now available to us however I am trying to hold out for the new speed tiers which are suppose to come soon with TW.

March 2010 Update- Things have gotten much better in the past year or so. Roadrunner Turbo speeds are now up to 15 MBit down 1 MBit up. They also added quite a huge assortment of HD channels to the line up which has all but helped me get rid of watching non-HD stuff now. All in all, I am a happy user.

UPDATE 5-2-2008- Service continues to be about the same. One good thing to note is that TW now offers us the ability to get RR Turbo which gives us great speeds. 10 MBits down and 1 MBit up. This is for an additional $10 a month. A decent value since they are still keeping the standard speeds fairly low.

I continue to have 2 VoIP lines through an independent company and these are not degraded by TW in any fashion which is good. There tactics for advertising there own digital phone service is a bit pushy, but I am hoping they will settle down.

Reliability has been a bit rocky so far this year, and as I said in my original review, since they took over Adelphia. My independent VoIP provider has better reliability than TW does, it should be the other way around!

TV wise, they are going to be adding some HD channels to my area in due time, which if they do I will be ecstatic. So far they have a pretty decent selection.

Tech support is about average over the phone.

==============================================================

This review is an extension from my Adelphia review. Since I last reviewed Adelphia, they were bought out and I was changed over to Time Warner / Road Runner.

I have experienced several outages that were due to migrating the two networks together and also when they set up digital phone for our area. Speeds have stayed relatively the same, and up until this point, have not been upgraded like much of Time Warners other markets around the country. Being the only game in town however, I feel lucky enough to actually have high speed internet so I won't complain to much.

Tech support is fine, they have a call center right in Portland so most of the time you get to talk to a local person.

Upload speed is a bit low, but when the speed increase is put into effect, I expect this to change.

Television service is great, and they have a growing number of HD channels, which looks like it will grow more in the Fall when several new networks are launched.

It seems they are also throttling certain apps and such, mainly bit torrent and usenet, however you have to be a heavy hitter for it to effect you, never the less that is a huge strike against them in my book. However, they do not bother my VoIP phone service as of yet, so I can deal with it.

In the end, they are a decent choice amongst an area with very little to no other choices, except MAYBE Verizon and GWI DSL.

member for 10.7 years, 5307 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Hawk See Profile

• Location: La Quinta,Riverside,CA
Good "Lots of digital channels to choose from"
Bad "Expensive"
Overall "Consistent internet speeds, No lag or buffering with Netflix, Satisfied overall."

We've’ve been with Time Warner Cable (Desert Cites) almost 4 years. It started as a “Home Run” package which includes Digital TV, Digital Phone and 30/5 internet. Price point initially was around $179 which included 2 DVR boxes, 1 standard cable box and a “Surfboard” modem. It finally averages out to $210 month once the wife decided on the channel tiers.

Internet speeds are consistent and customer service friendly when we call. Not many ISP options in the So Ca Desert rural areas still after all these years. FIOS is in town but not in our area. Kind of pricy but overall we’re satisfied.

Comments:

Review by jarred125 See Profile

• Location: Amelia,Clermont,OH
Good "Fast service when it works!"
Bad "First line support is TERRIBLE, blame customers equipment is the mantra."
Overall "When it works it's great"

I've had TWC for years, sadly out here there is little options going. For the past 2.5 years I have had very few problems, in fact some of the times my problems were of my own making. Pricing is high, $92 for 50/5 internet alone is stupid high compared to other services, but they are the only game around here that gives me those speeds. My problems lately seem to stem from a local issue with some equipment at the local office (per notes from a tech who called me). However, Time Warner support REFUSES to do anything but blame the customers equipment. They do not listen when you have explained that you have already rebooted the modem, they do not understand that signal levels are viewable from their modems (SB 6120) and insist that when you can see the levels you MUST be getting that information from somewhere else.

Every service has problems, it is how they deal with those problems that makes the company great or not worth the hassle. Time Warner desperately needs to fix their support services, they are abysmal! Blame the customer equipment is the first step, I am fortunate to have two laptops (and a couple other boxes) to test with as I have been told numerous times that it has to be my laptop, etc etc etc.

Bottom line, TWC GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER REGARDING SUPPORT! We pay through the nose for a service and we should not be treated like the enemy when we call in.

Comments:

Review by juilinsandar See Profile

• Location: San Benito,Cameron,TX
Good "Bundle price was too good to pass up and online chat support is top notch"
Bad "confusing presales info and phone support is hit or miss"
Overall "Overall value trumps everything"

I made the switch to Roadrunner cable's triple play bundle because AT&T DirecTV combo became too expensive for me to handle in this economy.

Road Runner Standard w/ Powerboost 7168/512
HD Digital Cable with 1 year free Showtime
Digital Home Phone unlimited Nationwide

I'll be paying $115.50 per month after tax.

SA 8240HDC HD-DVR
SA 2203C Cable Modem VOIP Brand New in Box

Contract installer was friendly and did an excellent job. He ran new line from the pole to the box on the house and then separate lines for the cable box and modem/phone.

So far, I am very satisfied.

---------------

It's about a month later now, and I'm still satisfied with the service overall, but more so with the internet and phone than with the cable tv part. The time warner cable picture quality especially the HD channels is hit or miss from channel to channel and from day to day. DirecTV's pq, in comparison, was consistently good overall for the whole lineup.

I also added turbo boost and the hd/sports tier thus the price increase which includes taxes.

---------------------------
I changed over to the Paquetazo with Turbo. TV and especially internet are rock solid. I'm still using the same modem as before but I traded in the 8240 for an Cisco 8640HDC which has a bigger hard drive and runs better.
---------------------------
I've changed to the Surf n View package with turbo internet(20/2), sports pass & movie pass, and I also started using a TIVo instead of the operator provided DVR.

Internet is as rock solid as ever.

TV is good also. It's just missing The Longhorn Network and The NFL Network.

----------------------------------------

I'm back to using a TWC provided DVR.

The picture quality overall has improved ever since the upgrade to extreme in my area.

The speeds are as rock solid as ever.

The phone service is just as good as ever.

--------------------------------------------

Service is still great even though they are more expensive than they used to be.

Hopefully Comcast won't f*ck it up whenever they take over.

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3339574135][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/3339574···G][/URL]

member for 14.1 years, 4944 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

current speeds

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

Review by pork See Profile

• Location: Littleton,Grafton,NH
Good "Fast install, worked for a while"
Bad "Internet connection constantly drops during peak hours"
Overall "Unreliable internet, avoid unless you don't have a choice. "

I have Time Warner cable internet for about 1 year since I moved here. I signed up for the standard 15mbps plan, after taxes and modem rental fees, it comes out to be $45 a month. The installation was fast and the internet was good at first. Download speed are as fast as advertised.

But everything went downhill starting about 3 months ago. The internet starts randomly disconnecting during peak hours, at first it was only once or twice a day. But now, it seems like the connection drops at least 5 times an hour. I contact support many times, replaced the rented modem, had technicians come to my house to check signal, and nothing fixes the issue. The problem is Time Warner does not have the capacity for the number of users they have, since the connection issues only occur during peak hours. I can no longer play my online games, since I will get dropped every 10 or so minutes. On the bright side, I haven't really played any games for the last 2 months, and it's not so bad after all.

I would recommend you avoid Time Warner internet if you can, unless you are like me who live in an area without any choice.

Comments:

Review by MrBungle87 See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Decent bandwidth"
Bad "Overpriced; decaying infrastructure; poorly trained sales and tech reps"
Overall "If your choice is between TWC and DSL, you already know what your better option probably is"

·Frontier Communi..
Signed up for Extreme (30/5) Internet, having bought my own Motorola SB6121 modem. Once signed up and provisioned the modem wouldn't sync and turns out was still not activated. Had to call TWC several different times just to get transferred to a higher level tech. The tech finally determined the modem hadn't been "entered into" their system properly. After the requisite wasting of my time on the phone I was finally activated. Speed tests yield around 34Mbit download (during non-peak hours) and 5 to 5.75Mbit upload. Do note, however, that peak time speeds were cut by about half, taking me down to around 15-17Mbit with some packet loss.

The only positive thing I can really say about TWC Internet in our area is it's faster and typically more stable than DSL from Frontier. Upload speeds, while still a paltry 5Mbit, are approximately 5 times faster than what we got from Frontier's VDSL. However, the cable plant in this area has been neglected for quite some time and shows obvious signs of wear and tear.

After the promo period expires, I'm given to understand the price of the 30/5 tier increases to $74.99 a month (but TWC is adept at being VERY tight=lipped about non-promo pricing, even if you walk into an office and ask them face-to-face).

Bottom line? I tried it for a month, decided it wasn't worth it at present time, and will probably just tether my phone's LTE until either Frontier or Time Warner gets their shit together.

Comments:

FitzDaMan

join:2014-02-26
USA

TWC Reward Card Quailifications.

On DEC 2,2013, I had Extreme Internet(100MBPS),and TWO DVRS("Household Package Bundle" for Living Room/Bedroom) installed by TWC(no phone service). I was a NEW Customer. The Technician said I was good to go to obtain the Samsung Galaxy Tablet IF I adhered to the Requirements:
1) Keep Bill Payments ONTIME for 3 months.
2) Present an old "WOW" Bill terminating their service and what we had.
3) DO NOT drop any Services Installed.
4) Register WITHIN 30 days AFTER the Installation to obtain the "Rewards Redemption Number" for the Card.

HERE'S what you ALL should watch out for...I feel.

The Promo for THAT Tablet itself ENDED on DEC.18,2013.
To REGISTER within 30 days DID NOT and IS NOT a valid,legal statement to obtain the Tablet. I registered on DEC.23rd,2013(WELL within the allotted time frame of 30 days,I THOUGHT) and obtained a Redemption Number THINKING I had applied within the terms. WRONG answer Rick. They didnot inform me, ONCE the Promotion ended it ALSO took the warning of the 30 days registration WITH IT to quailify. So, in essence, I had ONLY(DEC 2 - 18th) to get my butt online and REGISTER, to which it's a DIRECT contradiction in terms, I feel. So, I caution you all that are applying for their "NEW" deal for the next Promo.....better ask,... I didn't.... and now I'm screwed "..........Samsung Galaxy Tab® 3 7.0 and Samsung Galaxy Note® 8.0 offers expire 1/31/14 or when supplies run out, whichever occurs first. Samsung Galaxy Tab® 3 7.0 is available to new subscribers and..........."

Now they say I am ONLY good to get the $150 Visa Card. HUH??? I AT LEAST thought I/we would of gotten "Grandfathered" in since the DEC 2nd Installation was so close to the Expiration of the Promo on DEC.18th. It's when the Promo for THAT PARTICULAR phone ended.....NOT for the Registration of the Rewards Card Requirements to obtain the Tablet.....I thought. What am i missing? I dunno.

Just switched to Frontier from TWC

I also posted on your Frontier review. I found TWC to be unusable at times despite the speedtest.net results I was getting. Switching to Frontier has eliminated those issues. I can actually work from home reliably now, and streaming is actually usable. I had the Extreme (30/5) package from TWC, but they recently notified me I would start having to pay $77.95 per month soon, so I decided to leave. Given the Comcrap merger will likely include bandwidth caps, I thought it was best to be ahead of the curve. If Frontier doesn't work out for me long term, then Google Fiber coming to town is my only hope.

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

I hear you. Frontier has better local techs and they seem to give more of a shit than TWC does. It's just unfortunate that Frontier can't EVER seem to resolve their capacity issues. I realize ISPs don't plan for everyone to be using 100% of their connection all the time, but the peak-hour bandwidth issues with Frontier make it pretty miserable to do anything online (especially when pings jump up to 900ms).

Google Fiber seems like the only hope for this area.

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

Ironically, after praising Frontier today, of course I have no service tonight. I am posting this from TWC because I hadn't cancelled yet. Frontier tech support cannot tell me why my Internet is down. Apparently my options are snappy performance and middling reliability or vice versa, but not both. When it is working, my pings are still sub 30ms. Come on, Google Fiber!

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

What package do you have? I have Ultra (I think) which is 24/2 VDSL and we've had about the same reliability as when we were on ADSL (7/1)--which is to say, crappy.

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

I HAD Ultimate which is 24/2. The DSL connections to the DSLAM were up, but it wasn't passing any IP traffic past there. I called to cancel today because I work from home frequently, and I cannot rely on flaky technology. Anyway, the CSR admitted that they had been having a lot of outages in my area and offered me a $5 discount on the service to stay. I refused because it doesn't matter how little it might cost if the service is not up when I need it. TWC, for all its other issues, is up pretty much all the time.

When I had ADSL (7M/768k) with Verizon at my old house, it was rock solid, and honestly, perfectly usable for anything I need to do on a regular basis. I was hoping the VDSL solution from Frontier would be like that.

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

My dad works from home, too, and depends on a stable (not fast, mind you, just stable) connection but both Frontier and TWC couldn't meet that standard. Frontier is definitely the less reliable of the two, but we had dropped packets, low peak hour speeds, etc. with TWC, as well. So...what other options are there? AT&T? They won't even bring U-Verse here. It's a farce.

Review by jimk See Profile

• Location: Raleigh,Wake,NC
Good "Reasonable download speeds"
Bad "Poor overall reliability, DVR service is a joke"
Overall "Customer service and support keeps going downhill"

---Update 2-25-2014---
Finally had enough... signal issues came back, and I don't want to deal with the merger issues (or the high probability of further neglect of the network during the merger process). Service has been disconnected.

---Update 8-23-2013---
Support for business class service is now just as bad as residential.

---Update 2-6-2013---
Downgrading connection reliability. While it isn't terrible, there are occasional times where Internet service experiences packet loss, and sometimes even loss of sync. TV service also experiences picture pixelation and audio drop outs when this is happening. A lead technician has verified that this is not an in home issue, but so far the network maintenance team hasn't done anything about it.

Communication between departments needs serious work, especially when a customer has intermittent or uncommon issues.

Also downgrading services due to a lack of DOCSIS 3 upstream channel bonding, and very slow progress on improving the software on the cable boxes.

---Update 1-15-2013---

Dropping support score and connection reliability. If you have an issue, expect to get the run-around until you give up or it fixes itself. It's even more annoying when you know what the problem is and they won't do anything about it

---End of update---

Time Warner Cable Internet has improved over the years. Speeds have seen consistent improvement, and slowdowns at peak usage times have mostly gone away. DOCSIS 3 has made a big difference. Reliability has never been a major issue (but nothing is perfect and this service is no exception).

Recently, TWC introduced a modem rental fee. They do allow customers to provide their own modem, but they have a very short list of modems they allow, and some of those are hard to find, which makes them more expensive than they should be. This is more of an issue for customers who require a DOCSIS 3 modem. Hopefully this will be resolved soon. There's really no good reason for the list of approved modems to be so short. The most ridiculous part is that TWC has a much wider variety of modems from multiple vendors that they provide for rental.

---update---: They have now added several new modems to the approved device list. Some of these retail for under $100 and are easier to find through trusted online stores, as well as through local retailers. ---end update---

Tech support is not good unless you can get escalated to Tier 3. Some reps are good at escalating the case when they can't fix an issue, but others are more stubborn. Tier 3 is very good though... they know what is going on and have been able to save me from wasting my time waiting for a service call when the issue was somewhere else in TWC's network.

Internet speeds aren't a strong point with Time Warner Cable, but they aren't too bad either. TWC isn't as aggressive as other cable companies at upgrading speeds. Right now, the fastest residential offering in the Raleigh/Durham NC market is 30 Mbps down / 5 Mbps up. This isn't bad. It is better than AT&T U-verse in Raleigh and much better than Frontier DSL in Durham. However, other cable companies in other markets do offer faster speeds. On the up side, TWC has no caps for Internet usage at this time, but I imagine it is just a matter of time, especially if they continue to lose video subscribers.

I don't use their "Digital Phone" (VoIP) service, but I know many people that do and they have no complaints. They have an especially attractive international plan available.

The rest of this review is regarding the TV service:

The Cable TV service needs improvement. Their custom OCAP software for their cable boxes ("The Guide" formerly "Navigator") is unreliable and missing features that were available 5 years ago on other cable and satellite providers. Issues include slow cable box response and occasional hangs, missed recordings, a very poor search interface, a remote DVR manager for smartphones and PCs that often can't communicate with the cable box, and numerous other annoying issues.

The previous software they used in this market (Passport) was better. For markets that used to run on the old SARA software, the current software could probably be considered an improvement over what they had. TWC's custom software has been in use for several years now, and it simply should be a lot further along than it is at this time.

In addition, there are still occasional issues with Switched Digital Video (SDV) channels not working. They are most likely capacity issues. It happens a lot less than it used to.

As more TV content becomes available online, it will become harder and harder to justify paying for the TV service, especially if it continues to have some of the issues I have described here.

member for 8.3 years, 3496 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ernliz

join:2001-11-25
Albemarle, NC

About those cable boxes and DVRs

I concur with the above. My DVR is pathetically slow and often just hangs up. Unplugging and having it reboot always "fixes" the hangup, but that shouldn't be necessary that often. Talking with TWC Support or the local offices is pointless -- they hide under their desks when the issue is brought up. Even the TWC Direct Forum here is useless when discussing DVR hangups -- they never provide any relevant help or even acknowledgement. It's going to be Dish Network for me real soon if they can't fix these slow boxes.

Review by aod626 See Profile

• Location: Riverside,Riverside,CA
Bad "not recommended "

worst internet 100/5 its what i should be getting but ps3 showing 28/4 online gaming ps3 ....switching to fios

Comments:
dragonman300

join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PS3 speedtest not accurate

Ps3 speedtest is not very accurate. For more accurate speed test, use the PC and go to speedtest.net
Curious about Sprint improved 3G and growing 4G LTE network? Then check it out at www.s4gru.com
korgman

join:2004-03-16
Austin, TX

Re: PS3 speedtest not accurate

What he said. Also, if the PS3 is connected via wireless that can have an impact on speed.
why60loss

join:2012-09-20

I would go to FIOS

Even if that test was a mistake, go to FIOS anyway. better speeds for the money.

screw 5 mbs upload.
ke4pym
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

PS3 performance?

Really?

Can that thing even push 100 Mbps? I've found it's network stack to be pretty pathetic.
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

LOL

haha I dont got twc anymore but this review is crazy PS3 won't get full speeds lmfao

Review by Le Roy See Profile

• Location: High Point,Guilford,NC
Good "Pretty good speeds in real world usage. "
Bad "High prices for the speed"
Overall "If it's the only option get it, otherwise check if similar speeds are avaliable else where for cheaper"

·CableOne
I moved to a residence that already had Time Warner Cable existing to Pre Sales Information and Install Co-ordination are unknown. This is why I selected the middle option for those.

I've been here since August of 2013, currently it's February of 2014. We pay around $250 a month for our cable service. This includes all channels except the Starz package. We tried to call them to get some of those options knocked down but I've had better luck talking to a tree. So I began doing research on what else is available in the area when I found North State. They're offering an 80/30Mbps connection for the low low price of $40 per month. Switching next week. Together with similar channel options and faster Internet I'll be paying over $100 less per month.

For the time that I have been with Time Warner Cable the service has been extremely reliable. The only few times I lost connectivity on the Internet was easily solved after I rebooted the modem. I'd say that's happened twice since I've been here and I have never had to call Tech Support to resolve any issues. My speeds have been consistent throughout the entire day. I download games via Steam, digital movies and other large files regularly and it maxes out the connection speed I pay for on a regular basis.