Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by jimk See Profile

• Location: Raleigh,Wake,NC
Good "Reasonable download speeds"
Bad "Poor overall reliability, DVR service is a joke"
Overall "Customer service and support keeps going downhill"

---Update 2-25-2014---
Finally had enough... signal issues came back, and I don't want to deal with the merger issues (or the high probability of further neglect of the network during the merger process). Service has been disconnected.

---Update 8-23-2013---
Support for business class service is now just as bad as residential.

---Update 2-6-2013---
Downgrading connection reliability. While it isn't terrible, there are occasional times where Internet service experiences packet loss, and sometimes even loss of sync. TV service also experiences picture pixelation and audio drop outs when this is happening. A lead technician has verified that this is not an in home issue, but so far the network maintenance team hasn't done anything about it.

Communication between departments needs serious work, especially when a customer has intermittent or uncommon issues.

Also downgrading services due to a lack of DOCSIS 3 upstream channel bonding, and very slow progress on improving the software on the cable boxes.

---Update 1-15-2013---

Dropping support score and connection reliability. If you have an issue, expect to get the run-around until you give up or it fixes itself. It's even more annoying when you know what the problem is and they won't do anything about it

---End of update---

Time Warner Cable Internet has improved over the years. Speeds have seen consistent improvement, and slowdowns at peak usage times have mostly gone away. DOCSIS 3 has made a big difference. Reliability has never been a major issue (but nothing is perfect and this service is no exception).

Recently, TWC introduced a modem rental fee. They do allow customers to provide their own modem, but they have a very short list of modems they allow, and some of those are hard to find, which makes them more expensive than they should be. This is more of an issue for customers who require a DOCSIS 3 modem. Hopefully this will be resolved soon. There's really no good reason for the list of approved modems to be so short. The most ridiculous part is that TWC has a much wider variety of modems from multiple vendors that they provide for rental.

---update---: They have now added several new modems to the approved device list. Some of these retail for under $100 and are easier to find through trusted online stores, as well as through local retailers. ---end update---

Tech support is not good unless you can get escalated to Tier 3. Some reps are good at escalating the case when they can't fix an issue, but others are more stubborn. Tier 3 is very good though... they know what is going on and have been able to save me from wasting my time waiting for a service call when the issue was somewhere else in TWC's network.

Internet speeds aren't a strong point with Time Warner Cable, but they aren't too bad either. TWC isn't as aggressive as other cable companies at upgrading speeds. Right now, the fastest residential offering in the Raleigh/Durham NC market is 30 Mbps down / 5 Mbps up. This isn't bad. It is better than AT&T U-verse in Raleigh and much better than Frontier DSL in Durham. However, other cable companies in other markets do offer faster speeds. On the up side, TWC has no caps for Internet usage at this time, but I imagine it is just a matter of time, especially if they continue to lose video subscribers.

I don't use their "Digital Phone" (VoIP) service, but I know many people that do and they have no complaints. They have an especially attractive international plan available.

The rest of this review is regarding the TV service:

The Cable TV service needs improvement. Their custom OCAP software for their cable boxes ("The Guide" formerly "Navigator") is unreliable and missing features that were available 5 years ago on other cable and satellite providers. Issues include slow cable box response and occasional hangs, missed recordings, a very poor search interface, a remote DVR manager for smartphones and PCs that often can't communicate with the cable box, and numerous other annoying issues.

The previous software they used in this market (Passport) was better. For markets that used to run on the old SARA software, the current software could probably be considered an improvement over what they had. TWC's custom software has been in use for several years now, and it simply should be a lot further along than it is at this time.

In addition, there are still occasional issues with Switched Digital Video (SDV) channels not working. They are most likely capacity issues. It happens a lot less than it used to.

As more TV content becomes available online, it will become harder and harder to justify paying for the TV service, especially if it continues to have some of the issues I have described here.

member for 8.2 years, 3451 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ernliz

join:2001-11-25
Albemarle, NC

About those cable boxes and DVRs

I concur with the above. My DVR is pathetically slow and often just hangs up. Unplugging and having it reboot always "fixes" the hangup, but that shouldn't be necessary that often. Talking with TWC Support or the local offices is pointless -- they hide under their desks when the issue is brought up. Even the TWC Direct Forum here is useless when discussing DVR hangups -- they never provide any relevant help or even acknowledgement. It's going to be Dish Network for me real soon if they can't fix these slow boxes.

Review by aod626 See Profile

• Location: Riverside,Riverside,CA
Bad "not recommended "

worst internet 100/5 its what i should be getting but ps3 showing 28/4 online gaming ps3 ....switching to fios

Comments:
dragonman300

join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PS3 speedtest not accurate

Ps3 speedtest is not very accurate. For more accurate speed test, use the PC and go to speedtest.net
Curious about Sprint improved 3G and growing 4G LTE network? Then check it out at www.s4gru.com
korgman

join:2004-03-16
Austin, TX

Re: PS3 speedtest not accurate

What he said. Also, if the PS3 is connected via wireless that can have an impact on speed.
why60loss

join:2012-09-20

I would go to FIOS

Even if that test was a mistake, go to FIOS anyway. better speeds for the money.

screw 5 mbs upload.
ke4pym
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

PS3 performance?

Really?

Can that thing even push 100 Mbps? I've found it's network stack to be pretty pathetic.
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

LOL

haha I dont got twc anymore but this review is crazy PS3 won't get full speeds lmfao

Review by Le Roy See Profile

• Location: High Point,Guilford,NC
Good "Pretty good speeds in real world usage. "
Bad "High prices for the speed"
Overall "If it's the only option get it, otherwise check if similar speeds are avaliable else where for cheaper"

·CableOne
I moved to a residence that already had Time Warner Cable existing to Pre Sales Information and Install Co-ordination are unknown. This is why I selected the middle option for those.

I've been here since August of 2013, currently it's February of 2014. We pay around $250 a month for our cable service. This includes all channels except the Starz package. We tried to call them to get some of those options knocked down but I've had better luck talking to a tree. So I began doing research on what else is available in the area when I found North State. They're offering an 80/30Mbps connection for the low low price of $40 per month. Switching next week. Together with similar channel options and faster Internet I'll be paying over $100 less per month.

For the time that I have been with Time Warner Cable the service has been extremely reliable. The only few times I lost connectivity on the Internet was easily solved after I rebooted the modem. I'd say that's happened twice since I've been here and I have never had to call Tech Support to resolve any issues. My speeds have been consistent throughout the entire day. I download games via Steam, digital movies and other large files regularly and it maxes out the connection speed I pay for on a regular basis.

Comments:

Review by rjbasye See Profile

• Location: Dry Ridge,Grant,KY
Good "Reliable, fast."
Bad "Sometimes it slows down in evenings. Wish it was cheaper."
Overall "Not bad but I wish there was more competition for broadband in my area."

·VOIPO
Updated 02/19/2014

Well, Nothing much changed in my area except price has increased for the same services I receive. My promo price has expired and I wish I could get internet a cheaper price since i am paying 79.99 for 30/5. Channel lineup currently is the same as it was with insight and I have lost Showtime 2 in HD for some reason it is only in SD since they settled their dispute with CBS. Don't know when that will return to the HD lineup. Reliability has been good since the TWC takeover with a few minor issues with pic freezing that were resolved in a short time. Overall I feel pricing should be cheaper but with little competition from Cincinnati Bell I don't expect that to change anytime soon. They need to offer more HD channels in my area also. Hopefully they will in the next few months when they finally offer the full TWC lineup in the former Insight Communications area.

It's been less than a month since Time Warner dropped the Insight name from their company and service has not changed from when it was Insight Communications. As I understand it, we have been on Time Warner's network since October 2012. They have went to 8 bonded channels download in my area, if you have a Docsis 3.0 modem that is capable of it. Time Warner has also updated the firmware of my Insight modem that they gave me.

Overall, I'm happy with the reliability of the service and speeds I get. I do notice every once in a while speeds degrade in the evenings but that is on a rare occasion. I have heard bad things about Time Warner but in my area things have not degraded from when it was Insight Communications. We'll see if that changes in the coming months and I will update this review if my service changes.

member for 14.1 years, 6493 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by waylay1981 See Profile

• Location: Lincoln,Lancaster,NE

All I got to say is way far better than windstream and virgin moble

Comments:

Review by steevo22 See Profile

• Location: Fullerton,Orange,CA
Good "Faster than AT&T DSL or Uverse, by far"
Bad "Business practices"
Overall "I recommend TWC but only because they are the only game in town. If that sounds like a faint recommendation, it is. "

·AT&T DSL Service
I had AT&T DSL, very slow and inadequate, and they raised the price past what I could get TWC for. So I finally switched in frustration. See my review of AT&T for the continuing saga with them.

So anyway, I contacted TWC by phone. I really got the runaround, clearly the phone reps are all on commission and thus have a very significant conflict of interest both with the company and with their customers. I had a guy trying so hard to sell me a $139 a month package with home security, phone, internet and TV, I told him over and over I wouldn't be interested, finally hung up in disgust. He actively refused to sell me what I wanted.

Apparently the phone reps don't make enough money on a single service, so some at least avoid selling it. What a conflict of interest this is, and it amazes me that TWC allows this to exist. They are probably losing hundreds of millions of dollars because of it.

Course I am also amazed at how many people I meet cannot identify a clear conflict of interest when presented with one. I avoid them myself.

So I tried the online chat. That worked much better, I got my $34.99 a month 15 Meg internet and nothing else. The bill is exactly $34.99 too. No ups, no extras, no resort fees. Haha.

It's a few weeks later, and I have had to power cycle my cable modem twice, not sure why. Stopped working.

I have Directv for tv and I would be willing to change to TWC under certain circumstances. I tried the phone again, for some reason most of these companies prefer to do all their business by phone. I got the same runaround, trying to sell me a bunch of stuff I didn't want under any circumstances.

So I tried the chat again. That worked much better. The chat rep said I could get the standard TV (seems like a couple hundred channels) and my 15 meg internet for $64.99 a month. She mentioned that was good in that particular zip code and it was an amazing deal. I said fine, sign me up. She said "I am processing your order".

Very slow chat response, and I was ultimately disconnected. I tried the chat again the next day when I had time, I got another rep who offered me the same thing. I said fine, sign me up. I sat there for a while, she said "I am processing your order". After about 15 minutes, disconnected again.

The next day I chatted them again, asked if they had logs, the rep said yes, I said please read them and sign me up for what I ordered. He said "I am processing your order".

I got disconnected again! Geez.

A day later I tried again, this has been going on for about 5 days. The rep said "there is an order in the system for you, starter TV and 20 meg internet". I said I wouldn't be interested in paying TWC for OTA channels only, I get 78 channels on my antenna with a stunning picture, so no need to pay them for that. I again set the standards for what I wanted and how much I was willing to pay. He said that was not what the deal was right now, and did I want my order that was in the system. I said no, I didn't order that, cancel it.

Heh. Ridiculous.

So a few days later I get a phone call from TWC about my cancelled order. I told the rep what I was willing to take and how much I was willing to pay, she put me on hold and went to speak to a supervisor. I was of course disconnected, but she called back and said I could have something for $89 a month. I said no, I already told you what I was willing to take and what I was willing to pay. She hung up.

I remain here with my 15 meg internet and Directv.

I don't think the chat reps or the phone rep who called me had a conflict of interest, or not an obvious one like the phone reps I called had. Clearly they didn't want to take any orders that were not profitable for them even though the company clearly sold those products.

My advice to all companies is to be absolutely sure your customers, your employees and your company have their interests aligned. No conflicts of interest. The company must be losing many customers and lots of business by this flim-flam.

member for 11.7 years, 270 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

You're way off

As a former TWC rep. You have it all wrong as for conflict as well as the reps you speak with. The phone reps are suppose to attempt to upsell you, they are sales reps. Online reps are called retail reps for a 3rd party company. They handle all companies and always get the info wrong. 64.99 is the broadcast and turbo hsd, that has been their package for more than a year. Also, if you chat online you might want to check the packages that are available and know, if they have a online offer only, it means its a online offer only. That would be a retailer/authorize dealer.

Review by why60loss See Profile

• Location: Wake Forest,Wake,NC
Good "It was better than DSL "
Bad "60% packet loss, hardly ever got the upto speed, tech support=useless"
Overall "It may be better than DSL, but it still really bad"

I first signed up for Time warner cable in 2011 with a internet, TV and phone package for 99 a month, though I had used them before then and had them also after getting rid of AOL. I was told the install would be free, but then the tech wanted to charge for it due to more work needing to be done. Though even with that it only took less than 45min to set up and the internet did seem to work well after basic tests so he left. At the time I did get the at the time 10/1 speed I signed up for, but then as the days went by I began to have issues.

After two weeks I found my self rebooting the modem (The one Time warner gave me) almost every day to reconnect to the internet. Even after reboot web pages also would give me 404/5xx errors very often. I thought it was with my desktop, notebook and other notebook or that the internet just doesn't work that well because growing up I had to fix issues like this every day to very week so it had become the norm for me. I had only had cable, DSL and 56k so I thought it was okay for cable to need daily trouble shooting because at lest it somewhat kind of worked. Unlike AOL and DSL. In the case of DSL it would be down just about every day and I never got the "upto" speed. So I thought that 5min per day and 4-5hours of total nonworking down time was how cable internet was and that is just how it is. I really hated having to download any big files (2-4GB) because in most cases it would take all day and clog my connection, so I hated stuff like Steam and updates because I thought it was far to taxing on my middle of the road plain jane internet connection.

But then as the months went by I started to think how much of a pain this was, when most of the time the internet was really fast when I used my notebook at other places. It was night and day really. 404 type errors every other time on my home connection, yet on AT&T wifi 99% of the time it took less than one sec to get on web sites. At first I brushed it off as good luck on there part and thought that couldn't be the way it was most of the time. Stupid I know, but it's what I really thought at the time.

But as I had more and more guest that would ask to use my internet and then complain it wasn't working good/at all. I would ask something along the lines of, Is it just how cable is or doesn't your internet do this too a lot. Most would say yes they had issues but not to my extent. Then I had a friend come over who also had Time warner cable and seemed to agree with me that is just how Time warner cable is. He connected his laptop via hardwire into the modem and had issues getting to web pages. It was like shooting in the dark if the web page would come up or not. He said Time warner cable was bad for him, but this was even worse. I thought well I guess maybe I got a bad draw but cable is still mostly like this. Should maybe be a bit better but I wasn't going to get much better service if I called.

Then I ran into a Time warner cable Business class employee at my chess club and told him my story. He said that's just residential and that they don't need to uphold speed nor uptime. He said he wished he could help, but that was out of his hands. Though I could try my hand at CS and that he hoped they could help me with it. So I thought this really has been a pain and it would be nice if it had better uptime so I called Time warner cables customer service and was more or less told on the phone that it works fine it must be on my end and that there was no better ISP in my area anyway. This kind of got under my skin, so I pulled my AT&T phone out and decided to use it's 3G connection for my internet to see if it would work better. It was amazing to me how well it seemed to work, it was a far more stable connection than my cable line for internet. So I did that for about a month just to see what would happen, I used about 50GB on AT&T wireless on a unlimited data plan. It was almost how I thought the internet should be and then I thought, why am I even paying for cable internet anyways. So I called them and told them my story. They said first of all a phone connection was not ment to be used as your home internet and wired is faster. I said that's not what I am seeing and I would like to cut the cord. They then said that they would send some one to look at it.

I agreed because really I knew that if possible it was better to use wired. So the tech came out, rebooted the modem and used my PC to go to the Time warner cable speed test web page that showed me getting 20mbs download and 1mbs upload. He then said it was working better than what I am paying for. I told him to wait a second as I used it to go to google.com and boom 404. Went to bestbuy.com and boom 404. Then I tethered my AT&T cell phone via USB and went to those web sites and they loaded right on the spot. He didn't get what I did nor what I was trying to proof so I said he could leave. Mostly because I had desided that I would spilt usage between AT&T 3G and time warner cable to not suck up too much band with from AT&T. Though that didn't last long as I racked up 150GB enjoying using the internet on AT&T wireless. I don't know how much I used on time warner cable likely under 30GB though.

But I wanted faster speed, so I signed up for a Verizon unlimited data plan with 4G LTE. Though that had it's own set of issues it was still better than Time warner cable and I still have that service to this day. But that is a bit offtopic for now.

So as time went on, I got sick of paying for sometime that I could hardly use so I called Time warner cable again. This time I was told that I used a lot of internet and that cable isn't perfect. I said how much is a lot and they said 50GB was a lot. That up to just means that's the most I can get and as long as it works that's all they care about. (More or less telling me as long as you can get to the web page today at some time that they don't care.)

One day on my AT&T connection I went to a web site were some one had issues getting to web sites a lot like I did with there home internet and so some one said it could be packet loss. So I looked up ways to test it. I thought if that was the case I would find it to be like 10-20% like the other guy, but it was 58% to 60% every time on my Time warner cable internet line.

So I thought there was no way that could be right, so I called CS and when I told them they asked what is packet loss. I tried to explain it, but in truth I didn't know much about it as well because I am not a network person. They then told me only Business class gets 0% packet loss and that it doesn't matter for my residential connection so long as it "works". They then hung up.

I called 10 more times about the packet loss issue and all I got was they didn't know what that was, it didn't matter or my modem was fine. I was also dealing with Verizon tech support at the time so I was at the point again that I thought the internet just sucked and was still in testing/beta or something among those lines. AT&T then killed my unlimited data line for tethering after over a year of 100-150GB months. So I was left with two broken connections. How ever Verizon did fix it after many months on the phone with tech support and FCC intervention.

They after a few more times of calling did send a tech out and he replaced the modem saying it was bad. Still I had 58-60% packet loss and it went on and on intil I called and got one more tech who looked at the line going to the home. It was a used line that was spilt in half right down the middle. Replacing that helped a lot, But I still had to reboot the modem every day. Though my speeds no longer droped to sub 1mbs download nor did I have packet loss that high. But the issues never really went away.

Time warner cable left there network in the area to rot in he11. In Jan 2014 I moved out and disconnected service. It took hours to take back there stuff due to only two employees at there local office dealing with a line out the door.

member for 1.8 years, 274 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by nascar6969 See Profile

• Location: Moorpark,Ventura,CA
Overall "good internet"

Did my own install..(I,m a Twc installer).

Comments:

motoracer

join:2003-09-15
united state

Expensive

$555/month? Wow, you must have a fast connection.

Review by Grail Knight See Profile

• Location: Erie,Erie,PA
Good "Solid connection, consistent speed, good tech support on the rare occasion I need to use it."
Bad "Cost could be $5 lower for what one pays per month."
Overall "Beats Verizon by a long shot for this area."

·Verizon Online DSL
Moved to Road Runner after ditching the incredibly unreliable and slow Verizon DSL in my area.
As I have OTA TV I rely heavily on my ISP for service and so far the longest outage was under
12 hours and was weather related. TWC kept updating their phone outage reports throughout
the day as well.

Road Runner Tech Support has been very good so far. Night and day compared to Verizon DSL
customer service. It also seems much easier to contact humans at Road Runner support vs. Verizon which
was just plain bad.

As long as Road Runner remains an option for my area even if Comcast takes over they will remain my ISP of choice.
I would only go back to Verizon if they were the last ISP on the planet. Horrible customer service, weather effected outages
on their copper, and cost/speed was not all that great.

member for 11.1 years, 6027 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by quixote See Profile

• Location: Port Hueneme,Ventura,CA
Good "none"
Bad "monopoly"
Overall "atrocious service at a high price"

Roadrunner / Time Warner Cable is the only option in my neighborhood. I don't need TV for anything, but I can't get just broadband. I'm paying for "premium" high-speed service, and my speeds are regularly 10% or even less of what's in the contract. I think, maybe, four times in five years have I seen it briefly hit the level I'm paying for.

I contacted RoadRunner tech support once because I needed information on potentially getting a static IP. The responder didn't even know what that meant, nor did the question ever get moved on up to someone who did. (The issue was resolved by my hosting service.)

On some forums, my contributions have sometimes been refused because IPs in the range used by SoCal RoadRunner are at the top of the list of known spam sources. Apparently, they do absolutely nothing about this. (Although it hasn't happened over the past year.) (Update 2011-04-24: It became a huge problem again in mid-2010.)

Knock on wood, I haven't had any outright repair issues so far. If I did, judging by their level of service and responsiveness generally, I'd have to move to get broadband again.

=================================================

Update, 2011-04-24: A couple of months ago, I started participating in a FCC / Samknows (»www.testmyisp.com/) program in which the government is getting data on the actual speed of broadband connections.

Strangely, the FCC lets the ISP know who is participating. Before I even had the supplied router hooked up, my IP changed, I suddenly never had problems being blocked as a spam address, and my connection speeds were regularly as advertised (1 mbps up, 8-10mbps down). Rarely, they'd fall all the way down to what used to be the fastest speeds I ever saw in the old days (eg 1 mbps down).

I'm sure this sudden I-get-what-I-pay-for has nothing to do with the FCC watching.... :rollseyes:

==================================================

Aaannnd another update: Feb 11, 2014. I had to move recently and my new address can also get service from ATT. Sort of like having a choice between Dracula and Frankenstein, but, hey, choice! So I was going to cancel service and switch. Suddenly, Time Warner cared that they were losing a customer. They gave me a much better deal at the new place ... ....

But when the bill arrived they charged me BOTH for new service installation and transfer of old service, and charged me my old monopoly monthly fee, $64.99, for standard service that is supposed to cost $39.99 in this location without any special deal at all. (I've always used my own equipment, so rental of theirs is not included in that.)

Cue hours of my life lost on the phone. Customer service reps "fix" the problem, and then the bill shows up with the SAME DAMN OVERCHARGES. And, of course, since it's all on the phone, TWC can keep changing their story and there's no paper trail except my notes.

I finally started doing everything in writing, refused to deal with them by phone, and practically had to make a Federal case out of it. Once there was a threat of legal involvement, they got an actual human being to look at the whole thing and it was resolved.

There aren't enough negative numbers to rate their service.