Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by BellaStorm See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Fast"

Update: Decided to continue service.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Advertised as 50/5 speed, but getting a bit faster, with 12 month @ $62 (before tax, etch). Had an Arris all-in-one modem, but recently swapped out for SB6141 (didn't want the WiFi that was built in).

Likes: Level 3 tech support actually knows what they are talking about.

Didn't like that when we moved, Prince Telecom tech didn't put our power levels within specs, so another appointment was requested.

member for 259 days, 141 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by footinmouth See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Monroe,NY
Good "Holy Cow FAST! Beats Frontier's Internet many times over!"
Bad "Price"
Overall "You get what you pay for."

Upgraded to Road Runner Extreme package. (30/5) Installer provided me with a Motorola Surfboard SBG6850 modem. Retired my Ambit modem.
I Had Frontier's DSL for well over NINE years! After months of high latency and low bandwidth I had to part ways with the internet portion of the company. Too bad for the employees of the company. Good people but the Corporate side is uncaring about its existing customers. I would go back to DSL if they offered a package of 24 Mbps down and 3.5 Mbps up with a guarantee of bandwidth and low latency.

Results from »www.speed.io
(Copied on 2011-06-24 13:06:36)
Download: 29725 Kbit/s
Upload : 5437 kbit/s
Connects : 1939 conn/min
Ping: 21 ms

06/29/14 Price went up by $20 due to my promotion ending. Still going strong and slightly faster up and down speeds.

Comments:
tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

move south

if you could move south into NJ or Westchester, you'd have better options..

Review by ArgMeMatey See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Install time and process"
Bad "Leftover billing problems, modem fee"
Overall "Better price than the other half of the duopoly"

·AT&T Midwest
I ordered 10 Mbps online on a Thursday afternoon. $29.99 per month plus taxes, guaranteed rate for 12 months. Free cable modem for six months, $2.50 per month thereafter.

I was sweating a bit because the install date they proposed was just one day before my AT&T service was to be shut off.

Got an e-mail quickly saying to call them. Called them and found out there was a billing issue left over from my previous account with them, despite the fact that they sent me no less than three e-mails saying I owed them $0.00.

Got that squared away on Friday afternoon and they scheduled me for installation on Saturday morning, the next day. The installers arrived during the stated window and we were up and running in less than one hour. In my book, that's just this side of heavenly, although back when I had standard cable I was able to go to the Time Warner storefront, pick up a cable modem, and be online in less than an hour. The cable modem is a Cisco DPC2100R2. I like its simplicity vs. all the garbage in the 2Wire that AT&T provided for VDSL. I ran a couple of speed tests and both were about 9.6 Mbps.

Now I heard their new McAfee deal requires a separate RR e-mail address for each client. That seems a bit silly.

I'll update after I start using the service. Right now it's just sitting idle until AT&T UVerse goes dead in a couple of days.

Update 19 Nov 2012:
Running pretty well. Speed consistently tests at 12 Mbps. McAfee works fine; no separate e-mail required as I had been told.

I bought my own DPC2100r2 the month after the billing started, and it took about an hour to get it online on the phone. It would be nice if they would allow me to authenticate online and then enter the MAC address of whatever modem I want to use. But I know they need to download a file to the modem to control it.

Haven't had any billing issues otherwise. I've got another six months at this price so we'll see what happens at that point.

Update 27 Jun 2014:
During a neighborhood power outage on 27 Aug 2013 lasting less than two hours, there was no Time Warner service whatsoever. But the AT&T VRAD down the street was humming along on battery power.

For the period March 2014 through February 2015, I was able to renew again at about the same rate I had in year two: $35 plus tax. Still using the same modem although it's been delisted. Testing reveals that my speeds average just over 15 Mbps.

member for 13.3 years, 4463 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by steve54301 See Profile

• Location: Green Bay,Brown,WI
Good "It just works"
Bad "Low intro specials, but you can never downgrade"
Overall "Don't sign up for more than you need"

·TDS Communications
Time Warner isn't much different than others. They have a year of an introductory price, but after that expect to pay 1/4 to 1/2 more for your services.

One big gotcha is they will initially try and talk you into a package that is more than you need or were interested in. They will offer it for the first year at the same price as whatever you were seeking.

You may be thinking, after that first year, I'll just downgrade my services to offset the price increase. Good luck with that.

Comments:

Review by billko See Profile

• Location: Apalachin,Tioga,NY
Good "You're not making a deal with the devil."
Bad "You're making it with his brother."
Overall "It's the most unreliable service I'd ever encountered, and the customer service is brain dead."

I had issues with the modem constantly disconnecting. Knowing it was a networking issue and not something on my end, but having to play the game anyway, they told me to bring in my modem for a replacement. I guess the modems the rent out are horrid pieces of junk because there was a line out the door of customers who had modems that all magically failed on the same day.

While I understand that they have to read from a script, you'd think they might not be completely brain dead and maybe figure out that, after the third or fourth person that they told the to bring in their modem for an exchange, they would get the idea that it might not be a customer issue? I mean, obviously, out of the 30 or 40 people waiting there, a few of them had the same support person?

Comments:

why60loss

join:2012-09-20

Welcome to time warner cable

Best of luck to you, Have had Comcast now for almost 7 months and while far from perfect is not nearly as bad as time warner cable.

tonytony1
join:2011-05-21
New York, NY

modem issue time warner nyc

Last week they were several thunderstorms in my area, my internet connection stop working,
I am using time warner cable NYC,
I have a modem (A) that is connected to my router and to that router direct Ethernet wire to my laptop, and my desktop. wireless to my Wi-Fi extender, for my cell in another room, I was able to connect my laptop directed to my modem too, since the modem has 4 Ethernet ports, my laptop has a USB to Ethernet adapter that adapter has to lights one that says 100 mbps and the other one 1000 mbps, always when I connect my laptop to my router the 100mbps lights, but when I connect directed to the modem the 1000mbps lights.
Anyway I called customer service and they were telling me that when they send a signal to the modem they see that everything is fine and that the thunderstorms do not had anything to do with me not having ,internet, so if I want to for a worker to come and check it up and if nothing is wrong with the modem I will be charged, so I said not I will got to the time warner office and get a new modem.

I got a new and different modem, modem(B), well I had to call again customer service since my speed was to slow, and yes my internet was working, so something was wrong with modem (A), and I have now different problems with this modem (B) I can only connect one device to it,
If I connect the router to the modem and laptop to the modem the laptop is not working (no internet) but if I connect the laptop to the router it will work? The customer helper was telling me to disconnect the router and restart my laptop and connect the laptop to the modem but not the router so I did that and finally my laptop connected to the modem (B) was working but my router was disconnected, and for my surprise, the connection light on my Ethernet adapter was 100mbps, not 1000mbps like the other modem (A). So I think something is wrong with this new modem or from the office they don’t want me to connect more than one device, so I disconnect my laptop from the modem and connect the router to the modem and laptop to the modem so I can have my desktop connected to the router.
Anyone can give me and idea why it is like that? I was thinking in going back and get another modem?
jades

join:2013-04-01
New York, NY

TWC is the worst!!

You think your experience is bad? How about 3 outages every month? Longest outage lasted 6 days!!

Review by larry1956 See Profile

• Location: Urbana,Champaign,OH
Good "Excellent Performance"
Bad "Price"
Overall "Best service for this area."

Just had their Intelligent Home service installed. In addition to the broadband, VOIP, and cable TV, Intelligent Home offers security for your home like ADT and other home remote management for lighting and other appliances. During the installation process, the technician changed out my broadband modem with an ARRIS TG862GD2 modem. This modem supports broadband, voip, cable tv, and WiFi. Also ithas a 4 port switch. My internet speed boosted from about 15Mbps to about 22Mbps download and from about 1Mbps to 1.9Mbps upload. I am happy with the increased performance and even though this is somewhat pricey, what makes it a deal is that there is no data caps. If and when Comcast takes over, and this is a warning, do not institute data caps!!! If that ever happens, I'd rather go back to old dial up then pay penalty fees for worrying about exceeding data caps.

Comments:
tasmithe

join:2002-09-16
Graham, NC

Huh?

Isn't Urbana-Champaign in IL?
Brucefire

join:2000-08-30
Reynoldsburg, OH

Re: Huh?

It's north of Springfield Ohio and west of Columbus.

Review by wilsoda See Profile

• Location: Northfield,Summit,OH
Good "Getting consistent speeds over max rate"
Bad "Weak tier 1 technical support"
Overall "Working as advertised"

Install went very smoothly other than a coordination issue. I never received a confirmation of when the installer would arrive after I ordered online. I used the online chat the night the rep was quickly able to tell me when installer would be there. Speeds, latency and phone service have been flawless for the first week.

Update.

Upgraded to extreme 50/5 in December 2013. Speeds are great. Annoyingly TWC doesn't seem to have any monitoring system for area outages beyond counting the number of tickets called in. Have had 5 outages in 7 months that I have called to report. In all but one case the rep stated there is no outage and will have to setup an appointment for a tech to come to the house in a few days. This is despite me sharing that friends in the area are also having the problem or pointing out the problem must be upstream of my drop since signal levels look good/modem online/no errors/can ping several hops up the route fine.... The next day things magically start working again and on some occasions I get an automated call saying outage in my area has been resolved. Of course the automated message doesn't tie the outage to my ticket/appointment I have so now I have to call TWC to cancel the appointment.

member for 7.4 years, 609 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by hstenzel See Profile

• Location: Hillsborough,Orange,NC
Good "At least we have broadband, it's acceptable (even if pricey) when it works."
Bad "Frequent outages, tremendous problems, very long time for any resolution"
Overall "I wish I had a better choice"

I've had Time Warner Cable for internet for a long time. They are (effectively) the only provider in my area.

We seem to go through cycles where it works reasonably well for a while, then tremendous problems, followed by working reasonably well, punctuated by episodic drops and outages, working well, and tremendous problems. Presently I'm in the midst of an extended bout of tremendous problems.

A few observations:

* TWC really does not know when there is a problem
* TWC really does not know what the problem is
* TWC does not do anything unless you call them a whole lot
* TWC support likes to send things back to the beginning, slowing down problem resolution

I'm sure that for simple problems what they do is adequate. But many times I have reported problems that affect my entire town or region and TWC tries to brush it off or roll a tech to just my house. Repeatedly.

When it works, it's fine. I've had periods of a year where it does work properly. But periods of months where it does not work properly and it requires tremendous effort on my part to try to get them to fix the problem. They exhaust me.

Comments:
ernliz

join:2001-11-25
Albemarle, NC

TWC

I agree. TWC has a monopoly in many NC areas. But the $60/mo you cite is for what? Internet alone? I pay around $110 for Standard (15 Mbps) Internet and DVR TV. Not bad. It would help to state just what your $60 is for.....

Review by Abiosis See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles
Good "Reliable...stable connection ~"
Bad "Pricing...Obviously ~"
Overall "Bottom line: No bandwidth Caps....at least for now ~"

June,06, 2014 Update:

Set the ARRIS DG1670A modem in "Bridged mode" and try to connect with my own router,

for some odd reason, my router can't detected with my PC, disable all built-in firewall,wireless and MoCA still no luck, PITA,indeed.

connect the modem/gateway straight to my network card and will figure it out on weekend spare time.

testing the speed see how it goes, it seems slightly better than usual which's all good to me, I just let it as it is for now.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3547027389

June,02, 2014 Update:

(MAXX) Ultimate 300/20 ~

Just grabbed my ARRIS DG1670A from the TWC store,

provisioned it without problem...but hate the $5.99 rental fee...again, might check out the Motorola SB6183 when it hits the retail market ~

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3539114689

May, 29, 2014 Update:

Got my "US$300 Gift Card" 1.5 months ago, too lazy to update, still amazed that it's actually working.

Jan, 13, 2014 Update:

Received the Redemption Code for the "Samsung Galaxy Tab® 3 7.0" or "US$300 Gift Card" by mail few days ago...

didn't aware that my account also eligible for that... since I don't need any tablet,so I rather choose the gift card...

Registered with my code in www.twcbetterreward.com without problem... but honestly I'm not holding my breath for it tho ~

Speed's still maintain the same as normal ~

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3228383364

Dec, 14, 2013 Update:

Returned the rental SBG6580 to the TWC store today...

had a conversation with the store manager about if there's any promotion plan that fit my case (Triple Plays Package) since I'm a long time customer for the last 10+ years (pre-Comcast ~ Road Runner ~ TWC)

She checked if any current promos available and finally worked it out, deducted around US$39 from US$234 to US$195 (included tax & stuff) for a year which I didn't really expected to be honest...I bet it'll not gonna happen in any support call or live chat can ever do that...(at least in my case) ~

In my honest opinion, just be polite and patient...you never know...somethin' nice may happens ~

P.S. Rebooted my modem & router (D-Link DGL-4500 Gaming Router) to adjust somethin'...the download speed's back to a bit normal range to 117Mb/s - 122Mb/s which I'm totally fine with it as long as it's stable ~

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3165638605

Dec, 12, 2013 Update:

Just provisioned my new Motorola SB6141 cable modem (white) smoothly through five minutes chat session today... (Firmware: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.12-SCM00-NOSH)

For some odd reason, the download speed's a bit higher than usual... (between 118Mb/s to 129Mb/s)

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3161987342

also need to drop off the SBG6580 to the TWC store this weekend to waive off that rental fee ~

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dec, 7,2013 Update :

Ordered the "Motorola SB6141 cable modem - Retail (White)" (US$84) to replace my rental SBG6580...just to waive off that rental fee (US$5.99)

since I don't need the built-In Wireless-N Router anyway...(got my own router) and I set it in bridge mode currently...

hope it'll be a painless installation when it arrives ~

Nov,25, 2013 Updated:

Just got speed upgrade to 100MB/5MB (Ultimate 100 - Standard tier + US$ 50) after reboot...

No complain so far...as a heavy usage subscriber (over 1 TB / per month)... it still worthy for me...for now ~

as long as there's no bandwidth caps on top of my service...it's all good to me, or else. I may need to look elsewhere for other options ~

Let's see how it goes down the road ~

For the record: I'm on (Digital TV - Internet - digital Phone Bundle Package) + one additional channel (2 boxes)

member for 11.2 years, 1143 visits, last login: 198 days ago

Comments:

Review by ritzy57 See Profile

• Location: Fort Mill,York,SC
Good "Here in a timely manner, could get internet, cable and voip in a package"
Bad "INstillation is messy. I think it was the installer's first time installing."
Overall "So far, happy with Time Warner"

Eight months ago, Time Warner was offering a package deal for $89.95, plus taxes. But I wanted to have a combination modem/router. For that, I needed to upgrade to their extreme internet package, offering 50MG download speed. They supplied a UBEE modem/router, which routes cable TV, cable internet, and voip. With the various surcharges and taxes, we are paying 130.00, which is less than we were paying in Fort Mill.

The install process seemed like a learning process for the installer. We live in apt complex, and he was telling me that he could not put cable in our back bedroom, because he couldn't put any holes in the walls. So I showed him that he could run the line over a doorway, and into the bedroom. Where he actually came off the current cable outlet, he has splitters sticking out in two rooms, and it looks awful. But the man was very nice, and polite, so I didn't make an issue of it.

As far as advertised service, we are very happy with the phone, the cable TV, and the internet. The modem/router is also Wi-Fi certified, and company has been able to use all their Wi-Fi components.

We're happy!

June 3, 2014.

Well, for a couple of weeks, we have been having trouble with our VOIP. Calls were cutting in and out. Called Time Warner, and ended up bringing the Router/Modem we rent from them, to the office, and they switched it out for an ARRIS TG862. Hooked up everything, and the phone is working perfectly. BUT!! the internet on MY computer is now cutting in and out!! Called them back, and today a TECH came by. He determined it was the NIC in my computer, that is probably bad. (computer is a 2 yr. old desktop). He installed a TP-LINK 300Mbpos mini Wireless N USB Adapter, making my computer wireless!! Love it!! Speed is great, and I am back up and running! Much thanks to that nice Time Warner man who came to our aid!