Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Summit See Profile

• Location: Marion,Marion,OH
Good "Fast and Stable at any time of day!"
Bad "After contract was up, they automatically renewed at a higher price ......"
Overall "They are going back to their shady ways here in Marion!"

UPDATE May 21, 2013:
They have changed their way of renewing your contracts. When ours ended, they automatically renewed ours for a higher rate with everything still the same. Called and tried to get our Free Wifi with the Extreme Internet Package that we already have and they wanted to charge us an extra $10 a month on top of what they already raised it......

UPDATE Jan. 10, 2013:
We have Digital Cable and Extreme 30/5 Internet. Have had this Speed Internet since it came out. Love it! Never a slow down.

UPDATE July 8, 2012:
Been well over a year and have had ZERO ISSUES! I get my full 30/5 anytime day or night. Couldnt be happier!

UPDATE May 28, 2011:
Has been Rock Solid since my Last Update. About three weeks ago, I had upgraded to Wideband D3 (30/5). We had a little hiccup at first install, but that is to be expected, since this is all New to the Techs and TWC. The Tech I had even came to my House on his OWN Time and worked on it until he figured out what was wrong! How is that for service? Since he got it fixed, my speeds have been ROCK SOLID! Couldnt be Happier!! Thanks TWC!

UPDATE March 16, 2010:
Well, for the last 5-6 Months, its back to Good Late at night, then Crawl during the day....

UPDATE March 28, 2008:
They did something around here and it finally WORKS! I get right at advertised speeds, anytime of day or night.

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

Expect higher rates.

>When ours ended, they automatically renewed ours for a higher rate with everything still the same.
That's one of the great things about cable, the constant rate increases!

Review by antdude See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Good speeds and uptimes."
Bad "Sometimes technical problems on their ends like outages, firmware problems with modems, support, prices go up every year, etc."
Overall "Good when it works."

I used to have Excite@Home (early 2001 with brand new cable lines since this old house never had cable before) and Adelphia PowerLink for broadband Internet before they went bust and TWC took over. During those early days since 3/10/2001 for several years sucked badly (DNSes didn't work, uptimes and speeds (e.g., 150 kB/sec during the early morning hours) were awful, etc.). Adelphia finally upgraded their cable system to be DOCSIS in the city, and it was fast and stable! And then, they went out of business.

TWC reused the same cable system. Once in a while, there are outages (usually short ones), slow speeds, etc. Very rare, there are long ones. I think the longest uptime was almost all daytime, but TWC will make up for the time loss of your next bill if you tell them especially if it is a known issue in the area. Support can be bad though due to incompetent people. However, there are forums and chats on TWC's web site, avsforum, and on this web site with people (official and subscribers) who can help through online supports.

Note that I still can't get any fast and cheap broadband services (e.g., DSL is too far due to 20K feet to CO according to GTE and Verizon). Also, no FIOS. Dial-up sucks (3 KB/sec) and lots of line noises.

member for 13 years, 5432 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

antdude
A Ninja Ant
join:2001-03-25
United State

No one likes my review, eh?

:P

Review by hca1945 See Profile

• Location: Burlington,Boone,KY
Good "Works - sometimes"
Bad "Frequently loses all services - phone, cable, internet"
Overall "Will probably drop this turkey and try the phone company's FIOPTIC"

Raised my monthly rate by $20 with NO prior notice. Tried to drop Showtime and Movie Channel, and was told I could NOT because it was part of the "package". Kept telling me how lucky I was, since I was getting a package that costs over $300 a month for $162. I told them to stop with that line, since there isn't even an imbecile who would pay that kind of money for this kind of service. Entire system quits several times a week, loses TV, phone, and internet. Tech tells me its all my fault, says he found "voltage" on my lines, says call an electrician. What a load. This is the worst cable service I have ever encountered. Seriously considering switching to the phone company's Fiberoptic system, same features, about $40 less. Service and reliability couldn't be much worse than TMC. Service was much better when it was Insight.

Comments:
zach1008

join:2013-12-16
Florence, KY

Poor service as well

I would have to second this frustrations with TWC since taking over Insight. I used to get great service and support from insight. Now that it is Time Warner, the customer service is less than desirable and the quality has gone down. I too am loosing everything randomly throughout the day any and all days of the week. Difficult for me is that I work from home and rely on the connection to work. As soon as fioptics is offered in my neighborhood, which is supposed to be in a month or so, I will switch. Cannot get much worse than I have now.

Review by baracudda See Profile

• Location: Port Orange,Volusia,FL
Good "steady speeds and good"
Bad "Price"
Overall "pretty satisfied with service..."

internet tied in with Cable TV and Telephone......Good speed and no prob

43000 dn......................................5000 up

Comments:

Review by dcurrey See Profile

• Location: Mason,Warren,OH
Good "Service is stable"
Bad "You can't cancel"
Overall "Ok service"

·ViaTalk
11-30-13

Holy crap they refuse to let us go!

Noticed the bill is still unchanged. Wife gives them a call apparently even after going to office turning in all equipment and telling them we want to cancel we are suppose to call and cancel. WTF!

After escalating up the ladder they then canceled it as of today. Wife explained that it should have been cancel on the 24th and this was TW screw up. TW actually said thats only 6 days of service. Well she ended up adding $26 and some change credit to bring the balance down to the actual 9 days of service Oh but the adjustments won't show up until Tuesday. Guess the computers get the weekend off.

God I would have loved to have heard that full conversation.

11-24-13

Went to local TW office in mall today to terminate service. Arrived right before they opened. Crap already like 20th in line. people just standing around most holding cable boxes that needs to be replaced. Two hours later not much progress was made moving that line.

They asked we we are canceling and I informed him that CinciBell ran FTTH in my area. He actually argued with me saying they don't do that. After I mentioned the installed an ONT in basement he changed tactics and said people are being billed double what the are quoting. Seems I already have my price from Cincibell including everything but sales tax.

Seems they can't officially terminate my service until Thursday because some ticket has to be issued and some other BS crap. I can see someone coming over on Thanksgiving to disconnect me at pedestal.

Ok that is more of a rant then an update.

11-18-13

Service has continued to degrade over last several months. I am lucky to get 12 on off peak hours under 10 during peak.

CinciBell just ran new lines in my area. They are doing FTTH. So I will be dropping TW again.

Its great to have options.

02-25-13

Guess I should update this since I was forced back to TW.

In June 2012 I moved to new city. Was forced back on TW do to lack of any true competition. Took 3 weeks to get them to come do the install. Did need a new cable drop in office.

Speed are a little faster than what I am supposed to get. Standard RR at the time was 10/1. When I did the speed test peaked at 32/1. Most of this was do to powerboost but he did say that this area gets 20/1 for standard and 30/2 for turbo. When they started bumping everyone up to 15/1 my speeds remained the same but guess I can't complain about it.

Since the install have had several small outages but that seems to be the norm for this company,

Original review. (Sometime around May 2011)

Have been using RR for several years finally getting around to doing a review, now that I am leaving them.

Internet connection is Standard RR 7 meg down 512k up. They recently added powerboost a few months back for free. That's actually a nice feature since I don't do a lot of large downloads. Makes good use of that short burst in speed.

For the most part service is stable. Few outages but when you do you can be on the phone with tech support for hours on end. They blame everything for routers to your computers.

Left them for Cincinnati Bell Cable not for any particular reason just CB offered me the same TV service and 20/2 internet for $20 cheaper and no contracts.

Well update if I need to return to RoadRunner.

member for 9.8 years, 3865 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

Muni

wasn't your area one of the few in Ohio that had a Muni cable company? Why not use them??? I know CB purchased them a while ago, but did they shut the network down?

dcurrey
join:2004-06-29
·ViaTalk

Re: Muni

Yea I moved out of Lebanon over a year ago. Guess the address didn't update here. I will fix that.

Yea I did use them about a year after CB purchased Lebanon Telecom network. Had Cincibell for just over a year. Was much better than TW in speed and picture quality. I really hated going back to TW after I moved.

Review by tony967 See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "It has become more reliable after a shaky start when TWC bought Insight. "
Bad "Cost to much for the bandwidth."
Overall "Got to have it. "

15M down/ 1M up
5341J Modem
Former Insight Customer bought out by TWC.

member for 1.2 years, 290 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by djrobx See Profile

• Location: Valencia,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Speed, no installation hassles, no contracts, no caps, 2 day wait install"
Bad "5mbps uploads are dated"
Overall "Faster speeds than what AT&T offers"

·VOIPO
11/24/2013

BBR is nagging me to update my review. TWC just upgraded me to 100/5 service, so it's probably as good a time as any to do it.

The good:

My 50/5 service has been excellent and stable over the last two years. I work from home, and have been able to depend on this connection around the clock. I have not noticed peak-hour slowdowns; TWC seems to be doing a good job of keeping up with demand. TWC has pushed out updates to the SBG6580 that have resolved the issues I noted previously. A few months back they also released a ~10% speed boost, which helps ensure you get better-than-advertised speeds. All in, I'm seeing fairly consistent 113/5.5 speed tests, which is great. I've nudged up the reliability and value scores to reflect these experiences and updates. I'm also happy that TWC has continued to offer "unlimited" access.

The bad:

The downstream upgrade highlights that the upload speeds are in need of improvement. I'm afraid upload upgrades aren't in our near future. LA is still sitting without DOCSIS 3 upstream channel bonding enabled. TWC could also do a better job of communicating upgrades to customers. They sent me an email telling me I was upgraded to 100mbps, and to reboot my modem, but the actual upgrade didn't occur for a couple days. Tech support was not prepared for this email, and seemingly didn't know what to tell people to expect. Users in the TWC forum got a wide variety of answers, as if they were making stuff up.

These are definitely "first world problems" as some would put it. I'm very happy overall.

2/2/2012

I've had the service for a week now. Some issues:

1) The SBG6580 seems like a good device on the surface, but it's a terrible router. It seems to have a memory leak which causes speeds to gradually decline. In my case this would degrade my 50mbps service to no more than 30mbps after 48 hours. Speeds would resume after rebooting the modem. I had to dig out an old Buffalo router with DD-WRT to stop this from happening. I can't believe Motorola would put out such a buggy product, but at least there's a workaround.

2) When not inhibited by the modem, my speeds have been terrific. However, I've noticed the LA area suffers from increased pings (adding an additional 25ms of latency to all hosts) during peak hours (between 7-11). Looking at the RR_SOCAL DSLReports line monitors, this issue affects the majority of us in the LA territory. Gamers, stay away for now.

1/24/2012

Back in 2008 I left Road Runner for U-Verse Internet. Since then, U-verse has always had slightly faster speeds than Time Warner so I stuck with it.

Time Warner has been slow to roll out Docsis 3. But now that it's here, they seem to have a fairly unified strategy for their customers, which is good to see. For a long while, we had different speed tiers by zip code, with higher speeds in FiOS and FiOS adjacent neighborhoods.

Top speeds come at a big price tag. 50/5 for $99, unbundled. That's down from $109 a few months back. At this price point, I'd like to see higher uploads. I was also offered 30/5 for $59, which is much better bang for the buck, but I can't resist having the best.

I ordered via the web to get the free install. The next available appointment was over a week away. So after finishing the order I called to see if there were any earlier slots available. The first person I spoke with really botched things up. She said there was a $60 "wireless install charge" (huh?), and to avoid that changed my order to a standard 10/1 install and said I could upgrade later. Ugh. I called back and spoke to someone else who confirmed the mess she made, but said he couldn't give me the free install promo as it was a web only deal and she had invalidated that. He said the best bet was to delete the order and start over online. So I did. I called back Monday and this rep was able to change the date to the very next morning without any trouble at all. The whole process might not have been too big a deal if the automated phone system didn't insist that I was an out-of-state caller, and didn't keep dropping the call when trying to connect me to an agent.

The appointment was from 8-12. The tech arrived at 8:30. I think he was a little new, but he was polite and got the job done.

Speed tests have been bang on 51/5 every time. Pretty impressive. GrabIt was peaking around 6000KB/sec from EasyNews. Seems like it wasn't long ago when 600KB/sec was crazy fast. Road Runner has come a long way from the 1.5mbps service it started at here!

6/28/2008

No problems at all with this service. Time Warner decided to pull the newsgroup server. I completely understand why and accept that. However, it kept me from even considering other providers. Now what?

A news story in the Los Angeles Times a few months back lamented about the lack of HD channels on Time Warner. Time Warner promised to deliver 14 new channels by July 1. July came and now they're saying "Not until October." for my area.

Meanwhile, I'm looking at AT&T U-verse. They're going to pony up $200 cash back plus a free $75 month worth of TV. No contract. They also got Sci Fi HD and USA HD, two channels I've been wanting that TW has no plans to add (they're not even in the 14 that are supposedly coming). With AT&T practically willing to pay me to try their service out, why should I keep TW? I couldn't come up with a good answer. But to get TV you have to bundle internet, and that means giving up my Road Runner connection.

Road Runner has been 100% rock solid and reliable over the past year. I've really loved it. U-verse is technically a bit faster (10/1.5 vs. 10/1), although U-verse's internet has actually been slower than RR during peak hours. Rumors point to a 15/2 upgrade for Road runner eventually. Maybe when that comes I'll re-evaluate all this again.

1/23/2008

Gosh, has it been 6 months already? There's not much to report here. No news is good news. My connection has been flawless. I'm kind of hoping they'll bump us up to 15/2 at some point (perhaps in response to U-verse upgrades to 10/1.5) but my 10/1 connection is rocking for now. The included newsgroup server has slowed down quite a bit since I signed up, but it's still much better than what's offered by most other providers.

5/22/2007

Two week update. I have been thoroughly pleased with my decision to switch to Road Runner. The 10/1 speeds work flawlessly and my line monitor on BBR shows a solid, steady connection.

I almost forgot about the newsgroup server Road Runner has, but wow - the Los Angeles server is awesome! DSLExtreme offered 64KB/sec limited access to supernews. I can often pull the full 10 megabits from Road Runner's news server, and the retention seems to be at least as good as Easynews. Geez.

5/07/2007

This is not my first go at Road Runner, but it is my first experience with Time Warner Cable. Our cable system has been sold several times since I moved here in 98. I first signed up with MediaOne Road Runner in 2001. We were then sold to AT&T @Home, then to Comcast HSI, and now we've come full circle back to Time Warner Road Runner!

I've been using DSLExtreme for the last several years. Thanks to a nearby remote terminal, AT&T paired with DSLExtreme had been giving me great service and static IP through DSL. But AT&T is in the process of rolling out even newer service, and DSLExtreme wants *more* money per month with another 12 month commitment! I don't want to be stuck in another higher-priced contract with them when new options become available.

Looking over cable's offerings, I found out that Time Warner had increased the speeds to 10000/1000. Okay, so that's Optimum Online in 2001, but for Los Angeles, that's a record breaker. My very fist speed test: 9838/982. Yeah baby!

That's almost double what I was getting from DSLExtreme's premium offering. Great download speed AND upload speed. For less money than I was spending with DSLExtreme. As I type this review, I have a download going that's been at a rock solid 1.16MB/sec. If they can keep it running reasonably reliable, I'll stick with it! And if it ends up sucking, DSL is just a phone call away. No contracts is such a nice thing.

The only negative is what I expected, calling them is a pain in the butt. Tuns out I didn't need to bother. I just went down to the cable office, picked up the modem there and did a self install. It was so painless. I was up in minutes.

member for 13.8 years, 6783 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by scottymead See Profile

• Location: Post Falls,Kootenai,ID
Good "LOVE IT"
Bad "NOTHING"
Overall "Best service other then Comcast when we lived in an area with Comcast."

·HughesNet Satell..
It does what I expect.... I use over 600GB/Month and no issues. We stream Netflix all day long. We dont pay for Cable TV so streaming on our Roku Player takes Cable TVs place.

member for 6.7 years, 2229 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by don478 See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Monroe,NY
Good "Fast Download and Upload, Very Reliable,good customer service"
Bad "None is past 12years"
Overall "Great ISP. They deliver what they promise"

I ordered RoadRunner and it was up and running one days later......

12 years later and they up the speed to 30 down 5 up. I get 33 down and 5 up, no slow down.

Comments:

Review by TwcHater See Profile

• Location: Palmdale,Los Angeles,CA
Good "It works"
Bad "You pay for the fastest, but NEVER get it!"
Overall "They always blame my devices for not getting the proper speeds I pay for..."

I have the ultimate speed 50MB, on a regular basis though, I get 1/2 of that....Funny though, in another city I have Charter cable 30 mb wireless, and I regularly get 32-35mb.....This is the 3rd gateway: an Arris 860DG, only get decent speed when the cable guy is here..When he leaves, it goes back to the regular crap when they leave...along with freezing pixelating TV screens. No matter how new my devices are, it's always...my devices fault why I don't get the speeds I pay for... At least 20-25mb off advertised speeds

Comments:
TwcHater

join:2013-11-14
Palmdale, CA

Fair warning comments:

New user, but this issue has been going on for over a year, with constant cable visits, so this is not just a normal rant and slam here...
etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX

Re: Fair warning comments:

Typical astroturfing... new users, lack of details, catchy usernames. Not credible.

Since LA is getting the new 100Mbps plan sometime this month... makes you wonder.
MrBungle87

join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

Re: Fair warning comments:

Yeah, because it's so inconceivable that Time Warner would provide sub-par hardware or fail to deliver on speeds. That would be an industry first.

skuv

@rr.com

Re: Fair warning comments:

It's not inconceivable. But this person made their dslreports username "TwcHater." And failed to report on the actual service they got, tech coming to the home to fix it. How many times they've been out. How many times they've called. Just vague details and a name like TwcHater to get people hating TWC.