Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by GEK See Profile

• Location: Woodridge,Sullivan,NY
Good "Once connected internet works"
Bad "There is no other option for internet other than dial up."
Overall "I'm Trapped!"

Update 11-17, 2114

According to Time warner's web site my standard internet package is to get a free update to Extreme Internet with "speeds up to 50 Mps." . Speeds still at 15 Mps.

Ordered standard internet FOR 34.95 for 12 months. Took 5 days to get my modem onto the network. Most of the people that I talked to during the 5 day wait were clueless. Wish there were other options available.

member for 12.6 years, 1533 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
xQim

join:2003-09-20
·Fairpoint Commun..

Wait...What?

First off, the standard internet package is $34.99/Month for 15Mbps/1Mbps

www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· ans.html).

Call them as they scammed you out of $5/Month, unless it includes modem rental, fees, and taxes. Secondly, the extreme package is 30Mbps/5Mbps. I guess it might vary in your specific location. The extreme package should be $54.99/Month. I would be very wary as I had the Extreme Package which was quoted at $64.99/Month, but when the bill came in I was not surprised to find out that I was being charged for the non promotional price of $109.99/Month. Not sure how they came up with this price. Refused to pay until they credited my account to the correct amount, which they did. You do have a choice in cable service (not).

GEK
Tourturer Class
join:2002-09-13
Woodridge, NY

No standard listed just extreme for $34 99 per month for 12 months

"Extreme Up to 50Mbps

Faster Internet Speeds are Here!
Home WiFi, TWC WiFi® Hotspots
Upload up to 5Mbps

Get download speeds up to 50Mbps – ideal for downloading music, streaming videos, and more

FREE Shipping if you qualify for a self-install Easy Connect Kit

$ 34 99 per month for 12 months"

Review by MojaveMike See Profile

• Location: Orange,Orange,CA
Bad "Tech Support is less than worthless"

This company boasts the record for the worst tech support I've encountered in my 57 years. They are worse than worthless. In every case I've contacted them (20) they have never solved anything and only succeeded in making things worse in addition to wasting my time.

Comments:

Review by nrf See Profile

• Location: Morrow,Warren,OH
Good "just as reliable as the power in your area"
Bad "so far nothing to complain about"
Overall "nice triple play offer, costs less than double play!"

·Embarq Now Centu..
again tried dsl, again came back here. they gave me an offer i could not refuse - my existing cable plan, unlimited usa phone, and 30 mbit x 5 mbit internet.

as before the give you some extra bandwidth in good faith. consistently exceed the promised speed.

self-connect package was thorough, support line excellent.

member for 12.1 years, 3477 visits, last login: 110 days ago

Comments:
ipwn3r456

join:2013-07-31
Los Angeles, CA

$25 per month? Typo or?

That's even cheaper than I am paying for the Standard... How did you managed to get that price?

Dave522

@rr.com

My results

Yea TWC is nice, »www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 90845324

Review by Tonice2007 See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Well, for once support is great expecially when compaired to Verizon Online DSL..."
Bad "Internet really sucks..."
Overall "If I could get the promised internet connection, then it's the purfect deal, at least till Verizion FiOS comes along..."

***Update 11/24/2014

Well, I have been a TWC customer since like May of this year, and as the node have been split, I do get the provisioned speeds; but since their infrastructure is old, and haven't been "upgraded" it is still prone to ingress, which is what I'm experiencing, as on some channels, I have a lot of uncorrectable (dropped) packets; therefore, T3 and other T errors.

I have spoken to Level 3 about this issue, they have pretty been a waste of time, as TWC training of employees are sub-par (I know for a fact...) from there I have spoken to Client Relations, technicians from Technical Operations and a technician from Plant / Engineering. Still nothing has been done about this issue, as it have been raised to L3 since June / July of this year. Hopefully, plant will do something about the issue soon, as they do know about the issue.

***Update 01/26/2011

It seems that the work order was finished on the 20th, but still it doesn't make a difference, during peak usage times (evenings) the internet speeds still suffers; and therefore also, VoIP...

Have a L3 Technician schedule to come out next Friday, to check the "network" on my end, to see where the problem is...

Hopefully, it gets fixed...

***Update 01/20/2011

It seems as if today is the lucky day that the local node that I'm connected to got split. Right now it's 7:30m and I did a speedtest on speedtest.net with the Newark, NJ server, since that server seems to be the closest server, since the pings times are lower then the New York, NY server; and the speeds that I'm getting is 13.01Mbps/.72Mbps, which is pretty close to my provision speeds of at least 12Mbps and at a max of 15Mbps (20Mbps with boost).

Now, if this is true, hopefully tomorrow if not, by Monday, January 24th I can call in for my credits due to the fact that I wasn't getting my provision speeds for the night time, and due to this the VoIP wasn't working as well.

Will update on the on going process.

***Update 11/02/2010

Well, been promised 3 weeks now, that the local node will be split so I could achieve the proper speeds, during all times...

And, it's still not done and no ETA, it could be in the next life for all I know...

And the funny part? I ordered the plan, for the TV, and even that isn't working properly (sound and video issues)...

Original...

Well, first off, I wanted to say out here in Brooklyn, New York, there aren't much options for internet, either you get cable/dsl/satellite. Cable it's either Time Warner (or its partners [Earthlink, NewYork Connect]) or Cablevision, the don't share territory at all; and for DSL, it's pretty much just Verizon (or also, its partners).

So, trust me if I say if I could I would switch, I have an option to switch to...

But basically, my problem is speed, ever since I got my service installed on the 3rd of September this year, the internet speed at night time is very unstable, and the ping time is just terrible; I might be able to get better ping time from satellite, and that's just sad. So, basically, a technician that was dispatched was nice enough to tell me that he couldn't do anything, since the local node out here has too many connections, basically the service is oversold.

Now, two weeks ago, I called in to support and lucky I was able to persuade a level 3 tech, to contact the Network Engineer department, to split the node; and like I said that was two weeks ago, and still I don't know whats happening with this issue.

So, not to be bias, I am going to switch to another provider as soon as there is one, such as FiOS, or affordable wireless (not CLEAR, since it's not worth it, the speed is just unbearable...) that comes as a double/triple play package.

PS

It's just the internet that I hate, I love the TV with all its features; but if the internet sucks, the service sucks, no matter how good the other services are. That's just is for me as a computer "geek"

member for 9.3 years, 1349 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ncted See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Generally good speed, once connection is initiated. Reliable."
Bad "While ping tests show low-latency, first-byte times are lower than expected."
Overall "Fine if you don't mind the price and there isn't anything better to have instead."

·Frontier Communi..
I've had Time Warner Cable Internet on and off since 2000 when it was called Road Runner and I was a beta tester in my area. I have had good and bad experiences over the years. For the past several years, the service has been very reliable and speedy with few exceptions. Most recently I have had the Extreme level of service which is 30/5. I was paying $55/month for this, but the promotional rate is expiring, and the best deal they are offering now is Turbo (20/2) at $65/month for 12 months, but only if I also order phone service for "free." Well, I don't want phone service, so that isn't very attractive to me no matter how you cut it.

In the past month or 2, streaming has become noticeably more variable with respect to picture quality. I can tell that Netflix and Amazon Prime are having to switch bitrates frequently while watching shows in the evenings, but not early in the mornings. I am using a gigabit ethernet network in my house, so I suspect the problem is upstream somewhere.

TWC is an ok choice overall, but I expect their prices to continue to increase due to loss of revenue from their other business lines, which are suffering due to really bad products.

UPDATE 11/24/2014

I cancelled today. Still no promotion available worth staying.

Comments:

Review by silverforte See Profile

• Location: Kannapolis,Cabarrus,NC
Good "When it works, it works okay."
Bad "It doesn't work often"
Overall "US will never have functional internet"

The US has never had decent internet services compared to the rest of the world. Places like Korea or Japan where decent internet is offered at REASONABLE prices, and it actually WORKS. I had to deal with Windstream's bullshit for years. Dozens of phone calls, usually lasting an hour or more at a time, techs with attitudes coming over and telling me there was nothing wrong with the line despite actual proof I had that there was packet loss and dealing with people on this website who refused to believe there was any packet loss in my network despite hours upon hours I spent producing results in the form of smokepings, tracerts, pathpings, screenshots of game latency meters and more. Eventually, they took remote control of a neighbor to fix a problem they had and noticed the packet loss for themselves, then admitted to me that it was an issue and still did not fix it. Now, I switch to Time Warner internet. 12 down, 1 up. Does it work?

No. I can just barely buffer the first 60 seconds of a youtube video and, sometimes, nothing at all. Not even Google. It spikes, it goes out just enough that it seems like I'm getting a trickle of bandwidth but it isn't 100% off. So, I go from this nightmare with Windstream to the same thing with Time Warner. I even bought a router recently so I could better monitor the traffic in the line and put better security on it as I try my best to track the issue down since the fucking companies can't do it. And then what happens? I get told by people on this website that I will be receiving a call from a tech at TW who would relay information about the checks they supposedly did on my line. The guy calls, BARELY speaks English and tells me there is nothing wrong with my line about 15 times as if he was reading a script.

I have proof in front of me from multiple sources that there are nodes on my network that have latency issues and dropped packets repeatedly, not just once or twice. Almost every time I ping a network, packets are dropped. I'm getting NOWHERE with this company! It seems like no matter what you get, in the US, you're going to have problems! The issues are across the board with these ISPs. People who say they don't have problems are just not aware of them. Perhaps they don't know enough about the systems to realize there is an issue, perhaps they don't use the internet hard enough or often enough to really test the system and bring the issues out to the surface, but they are there. This merger just makes this situation worse. This country needs to get its act together! You ISPs can only milk people for so long! When the tides turn, you'll be left high and dry if you don't get in shape!

(Adding updates exactly as I posted them in the replies here except for a few edits)

Update 1:

Here's an update. I'm still dealing with these issues. It's Wednesday Nov 19. Nearing the end of 2014 and STILL not with stable internet. I've seen at least a dozen techs and had my modem switched out, found out that I wasn't even supposed to have the service enabled to allow me to use the ports on the back of my modem for anything other than the router, so I had to stop doing that when they found out even though I was told it was okay originally.

Packet loss, jitter, all the usual stuff still on my line. Had numerous different techs on dslreports attend my ticket and that bothers me because it seems less helpful to have 3-4 different individuals rotate my case instead of one person who can learn the ins and outs of it. After 3 different claims I'd receive a call back over a month's time, I finally got one yesterday and I was told (first time anyone over at TWC has admitted this) that my tracert results were showing a real problem. Nobody has ever said that, they always say this:

"Well, from what I see your line is clean. No problems with the modem signal."

Which leads to nothing getting done to solve my problem. Someone admitted it was bad yesterday. Holy s**t. I have an engineer (okay, right) coming out tomorrow to check for issues. Last night my packet loss was bad enough that I could not stay connected to anything, not even sites. No hulu, no netflix, no games, no sites, no email, nothing. I tried to open a discussion about the state of the US internet on these forums to regular users and found nothing but arguments that my tracerts showed no problems. Okay, I know THIS is a problem:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms ********

7 15 ms 19 ms 15 ms 107.14.19.99

8 40 ms * 32 ms 66.109.10.62

9 16 ms 17 ms 24 ms as13335.xe-7-0-7.ar1.atl1.us.as4436.gtt.net [69.31.135.118]

10 18 ms 21 ms 36 ms 141.101.114.119

They're all like this. Or down the line near hops 5-8 I'll see the same result as hop 2. HUGE spikes in latency and dropped packets. I've never sent a tracert and not had a minimum of three dropped packets. I get 5% packet loss almost every time I use pingtest.net.

I don't know why this keeps happening. I had this same problem with Windstream at this address and now Time Warner can't fix it, or can't care. I am so done with this country. Everything I order, buy or setup in the US has been faulty. My PC hardware, my internet services, my gaming consoles. Everything in this country is broken and if I had the means I'd leave in a heart beat.

Update 2:

Update: 1:00 PM EST Thursday nov 20 2014.

After being told a tech (actually, I was told a high grade ENGINEER familiar with tracerts and the like) would come out and trying to wait patiently, my internet has gotten a bit better. It's stable and I see no packet loss but this is usually how it is earlier in the day. It's after 2-3 I start seeing problems. Got a call at 1 by TWC and told the engineer scheduled to visit me and fix the issues, then explain them to me, was canceled. No explanation as to why, no answers as to what was going on. Just told that. I was not the one who answered the phone so I could not get the person to explain what the hell was going on.

Now, my tech has been canceled, my internet is OKAY, still seeing jitter and higher than normal latencies.... What the hell do I do? I can't get a solid answer out of TWC and they cancel techs that are supposed to help me then lie and tell us the problem was solved when it hasn't been. Yeah, my internet is better but but it's not 100% and I still don't have any answers. I'm in the dark.

Another update:

After sending a reply to the private help thread I have here on this issue about the canceled tech and me not having an answer, one of the reps here sent me a reply back. This is what happened in order all today.

1) Sent confused reply asking for an answer as to why the engineer was not sent to my home today.

2) Get reply back promptly from employee at DSLreports apologizing and stating they will fix the situation soon.

3) A few minutes later I get a call from 'TWC' as read on my caller ID from an indian man whom I cannot understand stating I will receive 'help at my place' over and over until he just hangs up.

4) Man shows up with that handheld device they use to check the modem speeds. Nice guy, not his fault at all that this is going on. He says he is just one of the guys that hooks up the line.

5) He says he received a call about my issue and says that he was told by the uppers not to show up because the issue was a neighborhood one that was resolved and he was not given specifics. He says they wouldn't lie to him about issues and they're not BSing me.

6) I start talking about tracerts and ask if hop 2 would be the modem or the street box outside my house. He says he has no idea what a hop is because he isn't tech savvy. Now, I don't blame him. He was an alright guy and just doing his job. But I was told an ENGINEER capable of helping me with these high grade problems was going to come out and he would be educated on my case file and all my tracert results.

This man did not know what a tracert was.

My problem is not solved 100%. I am back to a tolerable level with my internet. It's usable, not fixed. I am going to drop this issue. TWC, you've beaten me. I give up. I have too much going on in my personal life to devote so much time and energy to this frustrating problem like I did with Windstream. I, the small guy, have been beaten.

Comments:
silverforte

Techs

I forgot to mention that the techs were extraordinarily rude and did not want to rip up the old lines from 5+ years ago and install new ones until we insisted. Then, the line is basically just sticking out of a hole in the wall about 2 ft off the ground, the disc that prevents air from getting through the hole around the wire is falling off and both the boxes outside the house were left wide open.

I was on the microphone over Xbox live with a friend in the same state as me about an hour away who also has TWC. He has packet loss as well. Both of us lost connection to the internet the other day at the same time and it came back. It has been happening repeatedly. It's not just me!

Re: Techs

Not all the US has total crap for internet. When I was on Time warner cable I thought that the internet must still be a beta product it was so bad. Century link also was total crap.

Comcast how ever does work and gives speeds at lest some what fitting for 2014. You can read my own reviews if you want.

Re: Techs

US is 10th in world ranking for internet reliability. Your one experience doesn't change the facts. Every single person I know has terrible internet problems. People I know in different states, people on different coasts. It doesn't matter if 'not all' of the US has bad internet. Enough of it does that it's a problem.

said by silverforte:

I never disagreed that the US has an internet problem. In fact I was trying to agree that the USA needs to get it's crap together.

Time warner cable doesn't care how high your packet loss is they won't fix it and century link well if it works at all then you hit the jack pot. Or if your only getting 1/10 of the upto speed, but hey you can "upgrade" to the next highest tier for $5 less for your "trouble".

Comcast is guilty of overselling there network to the point I only get 1/3 of the upto speed at any given time day or night.

I had a tech from TWC who didn't want to replace the cable out side the home that had split in half.

Trust me when I say I know the US has a real internet issue that needs to be fixed. Most of the US feels like they are still beta testing the internet in 2014 and that is just beyond reason at this point in the modern world.

Re: Techs

I'm actually barely able to get online at this point. I think the packet loss has subsided but now my modem resets itself randomly about 10 times a day, my phone doesn't work randomly and our TV channels sometimes don't come in or are distorted. A field tech replaced my modem, took the battery out of the new one and left without checking the box across the road. Nothing was fixed.

said by silverforte:

That sounds likely due to packet loss, good luck getting the time warner cable mob of NC to fix it. I know how much they suck due to living with TWC's crap for over 10 years.

I would get 404 more than %50 of the time even when TWC said "its working fine". Some web pages after trying to stay on to long like google thought I was DOS attacking them and lock me out for a few hours by IP address.

The issue is even worse here in NC than in other places like NYC or LA. They treat towns with no choice like dirt and the techs for the most part simply just do not give a dump. One tech even told me "It's not like you have a choice, be glad you get internet at all".
For those who chose there own fears over liberty will only dig them self's deeper into the pit of darkness. For those who chose to blame tools over each other for wrong doing, it will only lead to madness. -Unknown

Re: Techs

Dead on. NC is a terrible state for internet. I've moved 3 times since I got back in NC in 2008. All three residents, I went between Windstream and timewarner trying to get functional internet. Not one fucking time in my life since 2008 have I been able to accomplish that. The techs never know what to do, they get rude if you present them with a situation that they are not capable of dealing with and nothing ever gets done. Can you imagine how much time and money they could save themselves if they just fixed the issues the first time? If they actually put more effort into checking the lines and diagnosing problems?

Re: Techs

Update, October 16 2014, still having problems.

Constantly high latency, major packet loss, the works. Getting sent to 'engineers' on my case file, not sure that means anything more than that they are sending an email to local techs to come do nothing useful except pretend to be checking my line with a handheld tool that doesn't show anything I'm experiencing. I'm certain they'll replace the modem and downgrade me back to that shitty non-router type arris.

»i10.photobucket.com/albu ··· 9cb6.png

This is how it is for me now.

For whatever reason, the packet loss isn't always displayed.

»i10.photobucket.com/albu ··· original

15% packet loss:
»i10.photobucket.com/albu ··· 436c.png

I'm very close to leaving TWC and so are the people in my social circle.

said by silverforte:

Update, October 16 2014, still having problems.

»i10.photobucket.com/albu ··· 9cb6.png

This is how it is for me now.

For whatever reason, the packet loss isn't always displayed.

»i10.photobucket.com/albu ··· original

15% packet loss:
»i10.photobucket.com/albu ··· 436c.png

I'm very close to leaving TWC and so are the people in my social circle.

When I left in Jan of 2014 they had closed down the local office and it was a 3 hour wait in line to get rid of service at the next "nearest" office. Phone support may tell you they can't do it and that you must do to there local office. If you do that, be ready for a long wait.

Bring a camera with you loaded with a big SD card to record the wait if it's anything like mine was. Maybe then you could be on the news for longest wait to dump service ever.

If you chose to stay, then test as many PC's on hardwire to the modem as you can get your hands on.

For your packet loss, mine was so bad that often packet loss test would break/fail in the middle and couldn't even give me a percent back. DSL reports own tester couldn't ping me when I had this issue as well as many other sites.

The only thing I think you can do at this point is file a complaint to the BBB. There are no laws that protect customers against an ISP who sells an up to service with no uptime requirements nor any packet loss requirements. You could give them all the data on earth and still if they didn't fix it you have no legal recourse against them other than to leave.

I hope that what ever happens you end up with a stable connection.

Re: Techs

"Well, from what I see your line is clean. No problems with the modem signal."

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms ********
8 40 ms * 32 ms 66.109.10.62
9 16 ms 17 ms 24 ms as13335.xe-7-0-7.ar1.atl1.us.as4436.gtt.net [69.31.135.118]
10 18 ms 21 ms 36 ms 141.101.114.119

Re: Techs

Update: 1:00 PM EST Thursday nov 20 2014.

After being told a tech would come out and trying to wait patiently, my internet has gotten a bit better. It's stable and I see no packet loss but this is usually how it is earlier in the day. It's after 2-3 I start seeing problems. Got a call at 1 by TWC and told the engineer scheduled to visit me and fix the issues, then explain them to me, was canceled. No explanation as to why, to answers as to what was going on. Just told that. I was not the one who answered the phone so I could not get the person to explain what the hell was going on to me.

Another update:

This man did not know what a tracert was.

kpatt2006

join:2012-08-14
Greensburg, KY
·Windstream

Re: Techs

I've been battling Windstream in KY since November 2011 when I first started noticing they greatly oversold their service in this area. It's only gotten worse since then and now the internet is only usable after 2 am. Been looking at moving to Lexington soon, but guess what, Time Warner and Windstream the two major players in Lexington. Our country is a joke when it comes to technology and information highway. »www.speedtest.net/result ··· 3219.png

Review by ke4pym See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "It just works!"
Bad "Price is a bit high."
Overall "We still need competition"

11/2014 - Service is still great. Nothing major to report.

-----

10/13 - Service is running fine. No issues. SamKnows agrees.

------

12/11 - Only one thing to say - "solid service". Connection stays on, stays fast (as validated by SamKnows).

-------

1/11 - Got wide band stand alone back in November. Subscribed to the 30/5 package. Was told that it would be "exactly $20 more than I was paying today". Well, I was on a special for RR Turbo at $39.99mo. I asked about that and was told that was true.

First bill came in super high. Had 3 or 4 install charges, and something like $80/mo for the service. Called up. Long story short, I never agreed to the install charges (in the 14 years I've been a TWC customer, I have NEVER, EVER paid an install charge). They removed the charges and fixed me up to get the service for $59.99/mo. They went and replayed my call to get verification of those details. Works for me. Service is reliable even though there have been a couple of hiccups.

10/20/10 - After having Signature home for exactly 60 days, they came out and disconnected me because the service, quite frankly, sucks. The only redeeming product in that line up is the Docsis 3.0 50/5 service. Dropped back to just RoadRunner Turbo (got hooked up with a 12 month special for $39.99). Which got upgraded from 10/.512 to 15/1 on 10/18/10.

7/19/10 - As promised TWC called back to follow up on the install on Friday. Left them with several thoughts. They tried to do a short troubleshooting session on why the upstairs DVR won't play a recorded show off of the downstairs DVR that had a movie recorded from a premium channel. We deleted it and I will record it again and see if that fixes it. If not, a tech will be sent.

7/16/10 - Tech showed up a few minutes after 5 due to storms and traffic. What seemed like a short 2 hour job ended up becoming a 4 hour job. First the tech toured my home to find out where all of the equipment would be installed. Then, he checked the signal levels at the street and at the box behind the house. After installing a pair of MoCA filters on the ingress line and the line to the cable modem, he then verified that all of the cable ends were clean.

Then, inside to setup the equipment. The cable modem went first. Plugged it in and it immediately found a DOCSIS 3.0 signal. Then, it came time to provision it. Followed by the cable boxes. The provisioning took the most time. Apparently, these packages are brand new, and I was the 2nd person to have these services installed. So I can cut them some slack for that. The cable modem assigned me a IPv4 and IPv6 address. Peak speeds were 50,100 down, and 5,100 up. RoadRunner Wideband is $99/mo here. I got it packaged with everything else for $180. That includes RoadRunner wireless (not mobile), home phone with voice mail. Pretty much the works in the toys department. Video services stay the same.

After the DVR's were provisioned we test out the whole home functionality. The two DVRs work together seemlessly. If you record a show on one DVR it shows up immediately on the other DVR. PQ is very good. Could use some HD menus, ability to delete remote shows and enable my external hard drive.

7/15/10 - Got word of TimeWarner SignatureHome. $179.95/mo for Roadrunner Wideband (with 802.11 wireless), a pair of whole house DVRs, and unlimited phone service. This was the first day they were offering this package. Was on the phone for 2 hours getting signed up. Part of that was my fault for asking so many questions. But they did have some issues getting everything keyed in. Install is scheduled for 7/16/10. Because I called late, the 2nd rep said they couldn't get my phone service installed the next day. So they will be out on 7/20/10 to install the phone service.

The DVRs are either Samsung or Cisco (I requested Cisco) 320GB models. And external hard drives are supported. You can record a program on one DVR and watch it on the other, or vice versa. You can add a stand alone cable box and it can act as a client to the 2 DVRs.

Being a Signature client gets you next day support for service adds. It gets you proactive monitoring, and a 60-90 minute SLA should something break (so sayuth the sales rep). Also, there's no calling the national or local tier 1 help desks anymore. You call your team of reps.

4/10 - Running smooth! No noticed outages or issues since the last update. Speeds are good (15-22Mbps down w/Turbo, solid 480kbps up). Would love more upload, though!

1/09 - Since TWC was finally able to resolve my horrible speeds by moving my neighborhood to a new hub things have been solid. They added SpeedBoost to those with the Turbo package. Max download from that I have seen is around 21Mbps. Though it usually is in the 15-18Mbps range.

-----------------------

1/08 - Uploads STILL at 384kbps. Tonight I notice that my downloads are very slow. 500k down/350k up (which is normal). Call and speak to the national help desk. Long story short, they refuse to help me.

I've been a RR cable customer for 10 years. I know how to do the basic troubleshooting steps. So, I complete them. Still, slow speeds. The first girl I speak with is looking at my cable modem and resets it. Before I can tell her not to do that the call is dropped (using Packet 8). I wait for a bit, hoping she'd call back. No dice. So I call back in and reach girl number 2. Oh boy. Next time I call, I'll remember to explicitly say I don't have a router. She wants me to disconnect everything (never mind that the call will drop). And hook the PC up directly to the cable modem.

She won't look at the signal strength or anything without me completing that. I tell her about the last girl helping me without issue. She goes on and on (very quickly too) about all the things they want to do (never mind I work around PCs, servers and networks for a living). I told her to escilate me. Her supervisor comes on the line and basically says the same thing. I ask "how am I supposed to disconnect my phone and still talk to you to hook something directly to the cable modem?" His reply? "Call your VoIP provider". I about went berzerk. I have never, ever had such pathetic support as I did tonight. I finally get him to get me to the local office. Person I speak with there is very nice, checks my modem, wants to reset it but I ask her not too. Checks a few more things and schedules a truck roll.

I'm ready to turn all my services off if this is how tech support is going to be.

1/07 - Our uploads still remain at 384kbps. I usually see around 360kbps in tests here. Service is solid as a rock and has very high uptimes. Otherwise, review below remains true today.

----------------------

I signed up for RoadRunner in the spring of 1998. I was one of the "Early Birds" as they called it then.

Advertised service is 5 megabits-per-second down, 384 kilobits per second up. I usually see 4.2 to 4.5 megabits-per-second down and 361 kilobits per second up using BBR's speed tests. The results are consistent throughout the day.

With the exception of DNS issues that cropped up in March when RoadRunner raised the download speeds, my cable modem has been solid (read: telephone uptime solid) for a couple of years now. The last outage was in 2003 when we had one of the worst ice storms this region has seen (that storm even knocked down telephone service for a couple of days).

I've upgraded modems a couple of times and am currently using an AmBit modem. The first one I got was defective, so a quick run to one of the local offices fixed that problem.

My only complaint with RoadRunner is the slow upload speed. This is the age of individual content creators. It's more than "running servers". VoIP, gaming, sending video to friends, webcams and the like take bandwidth. It's high time RoadRunner upgrade our upload speeds to a minimum of 768 kilo-bits-per-second as basic service.

member for 10.7 years, 5222 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

jkingo

@rr.com

TWC webmail

agreed. well said. i hate paying my TWC bill- and..., they keep telling me there's no issue:/
maybe if they removed the TONS of local animated advertisement pop ups?!?!
frankly i'm angry- i wouldn't want to use this webmail as a free service.
TWC really, really sucks.

Review by thebigzeus1 See Profile

• Location: Austin,Travis,TX
Good "Bumped me up to MAXX for free since fiber form AT&T and Google is here"
Bad "Upload sucks, latency should be better for cable internet honestly"
Overall "I wont be switching to fiber unless something bad happens with TWC for awhile"

Have had some bumps in the road, but now since I bought a Motorola SB6183 and TP link Archer C7 the connection is rock solid. I am getting more than I pay for and on a permanent promo for Maxx 200 internet. Upload could/should be better for cable, this isn't DSL here... but anyway not much to complain about. Goes out once maybe every 3 months.

Comments:

Review by linjon See Profile

• Location: Astoria,Queens,NY
Good "speed"
Bad "being slammed, and notified it was my fault!"
Overall "moving on to fios"

After starting at ~80/mth 4 years ago, my tricked out signature home with 2 fancy boxes, 2 cheap boxes, overseas phone, all regular channels + hbo + showtime, bill was 285/mth. D/l speed was 275 mb!

I live in Queens, and fios was late to arrive in my area. I don't generally check my bill, but I did yesterday and I found that I had tmc and starz, but I never ordered them. I called and told rep I had been slammed, and she quickly offered me 2 months refund. I reviewed my checks and my monthly fee had jumped on 8/18, by $30, and I told her that, and I asked could I get a refund for those months , but she told me I should check my bill more frequently. ??

Funny thing, when I got home my doorbell rang, and it was a fios marketer. Seems like they finally wired my area.

As for the service"

Sometimes I get the startover ability, sometimes I don't. I've swapped my boxes out 2 or 3 times. The current ones need to go, but I guess I won't be doing that.I had repeated problems getting some channels upstairs ( they came and ran new wire), and it seems to be ok. For a while, after I went from fast speed to super fast, i kept getting dropped, but that's resolved.Phones are ok, but I get 10-15 telemarketers a day, now plus collection companies for ppl I don't know. I asked for a new number, they said it was $100 for that.

Comments:

Review by hchen42 See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Got better speed than I signed up for."
Bad "Lousy presale info"
Overall "$30 for 50Mbps is great value, but I am forced to pay $60 TV which I don't need."

I recently moved into a new building in midtown Manhattan (NYC).

First, this apartment building has a contract with TWC, so I am forced to pay $60 cable TV no matter what. While this has nothing to do with my Internet, I have to deduct one star for value, since I have no other choice but to use TWC to get a "combo discount".

Presale was a ripoff. The supposed account manager assigned to the building made a few mistakes transferring my old account. First she didn't close the old account. Hence I was continued to be charged; they refused to refund. Second, they didn't remove my cable modem, which I own, MAC address from their system. I warned the account manager too. So during the day of installation, we were sitting around for an extra 30 minutes as the back office had remove my MAC address then reassign to my current account. Third which I came to find out later was that the building is entitled to 50Mbps plan for $30. The account manager told me that $30 was for standard (15Mbps) plan. Faster speed would require a higher price. Luckily, I signed up for 15Mbps.

Installation was surprisingly great. The technician was friendly. Most amazingly, he arrived ON-TIME. He checked all the cable outlet, made sure all the outlets have great signal. He made sure everything works before leaving. He made me feel like a valued customer.

When I ran my first speed test, I got 40Mbps on my phone. What? I thought I signed up for 15Mbps. Next, I tested on my laptops, desktop, all achieved 55-57Mbps. Wow. I thought TWC screwed up in my favor. Two days later, when I spoke to the building manager did I realize 50Mbps was the speed I was entitled due to the "forced TV fee" that I was paying. Put it in another way, Instead of lowering the TV price, TWC agree to upgrade speed for standard price for the whole building. WTF, and the account manager never mention this?!?! BTW, this is very common lately in NYC. TWC would strike deals with the apartment building usually for lower price, but everyone in the building must sign up. TWC does this to either "force" everyone in the building to sign up (aka force subscription) or prevent FIOS from coming in.

Connection has been reliable so far. Haven't had to call for any additional services since the installation (happened mid August 2014).

Comments:

djrobx
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
·VOIPO

Maxx

The reason you're getting 50mbps instead of 15 is because TWC upgraded speeds for everyone in the LA and NYC markets.

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· nyc.html