Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by PamelaTS See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
Good "Ping down to 21,"
Bad "A bit expensive"
Overall "Blows CLEAR away"

It cost them no more to deliver higher speed. It's about profit they could NOT throttle speed down and deliver higher speed for the same cost or lower They just wouldn't make the profit.

Still calling CLEAR and paying the one month ETF glad to be rid of it!

---- Clear waived the ETF ONE MONTH to end of contract.

--- Update ----
I have since dotted TWC TV services lousy customer service, unreliable. Internet service billing errors. When I dotted the tv services my intent rate hacked up. Because some jerk customer service bundled me against my express insistence against bundling. I threatened to dump them and got it fixed. I have had to reboot (owned SB6141) modem a few times after service interruptions.

member for 10.4 years, 1459 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bbohne See Profile

• Location: Hinckley,Medina,OH
Good "When it works it works well."
Bad "tech support & service suck."
Overall "TWC SUCKS"

Have had the service for two years and had worked well but can not get tech support or service people to fix the problem of no service. I have tried to work with them for four weeks and still have no internet. Have now ordered ATT fiber optic for $20 dollars less per month and faster service. I would not deal with TWC again even if they were the last provider on earth.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:
etaadmin

Laughable

quote:

The fiber to the press release trolls are starting to show up in internet forums. Post pictures of your 'fiber optic' installation.

Re: Laughable

said by etaadmin:

quote:

If he had the service for two years than AT&T likely could give him a lower rate and well there tech support is the worst in the cable. Even more so than Comcast right at the bottom.

AT&T has been telling TWC customers that they will do fiber on new installs, but I have no idea if they are telling the truth or not.

Re: Laughable

said by why60loss:

If the lame poster doesn't have fiber already he is not likely to get fiber any time 'soon' (next ten years... if ever) Basically it is fiber to the press release and everybody knows that.

AT&T is the poster child for lying to customers and government officials. I'm waiting for at&t to install fiber (gigapower) in my home in the mean time I'm going to stick with TWC's 300/20 to go live by the end of the year.

Review by antdude See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Good speeds and uptimes."
Bad "Sometimes technical problems on their ends like outages, firmware problems with modems, support, prices go up every year, etc."
Overall "Good when it works."

I used to have Excite@Home (early 2001 with brand new cable lines since this old nest never had cable before) and Adelphia PowerLink for broadband Internet before they went bust and TWC took over. During those early days since 3/10/2001 for several years sucked badly (DNSes didn't work, uptimes and speeds (e.g., 150 kB/sec during the early morning hours) were awful, etc.). Adelphia finally upgraded their cable system to be DOCSIS in the city, and it was fast and stable! And then, they went out of business.

TWC reused the same cable system. Once in a while, there are outages (usually short ones), slow speeds, etc. Very rare, there are long ones. I think the longest uptime was almost all daytime, but TWC will make up for the time loss of your next bill if you tell them especially if it is a known issue in the area. Support can be bad though due to incompetent people. However, there are forums and chats on TWC's web site, avsforum, and on this web site with people (official and subscribers) who can help through online supports.

Note that I still can't get any fast and cheap broadband services (e.g., DSL is too far due to 20K feet to CO according to GTE and Verizon). Also, no FIOS. Dial-up sucks (3 KB/sec) and lots of line noises.

Also, my old nest's service ended on 9/5/2014 afternoon PDT. I am still using TWC in the new nest with its triple bundled service. The review is pretty much the same (no DSL [used to have it too with the previous owners]). Prices still keep going up!

member for 13.5 years, 5617 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

antdude
United State

No one likes my review, eh?

:P

·Verizon Wireless..

Your review is about right

Though help on this site doesn't do any good if the techs in your area just flat out suck and not trained on HSI service. It's not like the freaking customer can replace the line from the house to the node with in reason. Get trash support on that and well your just screwed. Corporate is 100% useless at TWC. Online chat is useless and phone support is on the other side of this earth and even more useless because at least one can mostly understand chat support even if there full of BS.

Now a oddly happy Comcast customer because at lest the local techs aren't 100% clueless and have there own laptops to test with unlike the overly cheap TWC.

I thought Comcast was worse? I guess I will find out after the merger happens.

A lot say that, but haven't had both in the past two years like me, so I have seen how both run unlike most posters.

The Comcast tech replaced my line and had his own PC to run test, the Time Warner cable tech had his two eyes, a hammer and a beat up old truck with limited TV know how and internet was like on some other planet to him. (Didn't understand what tethering a cellphone was and if that worked and TWC didn't then the PC was likely fine. Had no understanding of signal levels at all nor did he get why a bunch of 404/ 1min load times for web pages was bad. Didn't get that up to doesn't mean 1mbs on a 10mbs plan should be okay. Didn't get what internet speed meant at all really. And wanted $100 for a "BS call".)

I thought Comcast was worse? I guess I will find out after the merger happens.

Interesting. Adelphia and TWC install guys seems OK for my parents and me. I never had to have anyone come over to fix issues. I do agree support sucks on phone and online.

said by antdude:

The funny part was that the Time warner cable tech wanted me to prove that the PC could in fact use and work with the internet before he would do anymore and that if I called again it would cost me so then when I showed him the PC tethered to the phone, he said "so it is working and you called me out here for BS. Your going to have to pay for that".

The levels of stupid, just never stopped amazing me.

West Covina, CA

The TWC techs uses a laptop but it's a Panasonic.

DrDrew
That others may surf
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

Re: Your review is about right

Panasonic Toughbooks are common with telcom workers and others working outdoors needing a tougher computer. I had one several years ago.
You cannot fix a problem that you refuse to acknowledge.

Review by TDOG See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "Internet connection is fairly reliable"
Bad "TV picture quality goes bad randomly "
Overall "TOO EXPENSIVE"

I watch about 25% of the channels I'm paying for....The rest are CRAP! Classic TV package and 15/1 internet.

Comments:
OpTiC

Re: Review

It's your problem for paying for that tier you don't need

TDOG

join:2000-04-30
Louisville, KY

Re: Review

classic tier....It's that or basic . You sound like you work for TWC.
HA! What are you? 15?

Re: Review

You can cancel service and switch to Uverse or call up TWC for a better price. Vitality pays 114.99 for a triple play with Ulimate internet, preferred tv, and phone. A 5-30 minutes phone call can lower your bill.

West Covina, CA
Be a little specific what tier do pay and also be specific on your review. If you can afford this then you can't afford anything the same price for Uverse or Fios. I think my bill is expensive, but I have no problem paying it.

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID
Evidently you never had Comcast huh? They are expensive. But you are paying too much, I only pay 94.76 and that includes 1 set top box w/ DVR and every tier except movies and 15/1 internet.

Re: Review

I had Comcast before when Adelphia took over my area. Then it became TWC.

Review by CCat See Profile

• Location: Wonderland
Good "50Mb Down / 5 Mb Up"
Bad "Nothing for now."
Overall "Pretty consistant"

I switched from WOW in March. TWC offered a bundle with cable, internet, and voip.
Aside from a minor install problem (which was corrected the next day) everything went well. The turbo speed (15Mb down) is great. I only have 768K up but I really don't upload much so for me its not an issue. So far, so good.

Jan 2009 ISP has been very consistent with speeds. Aside from the usual slowdowns at peak times, and even these are not really a problem. At this point I am very happy with Roadrunner.

Sep 2009 Nothing has changed since Jan. A couple of outages due to weather but thats about it. The usual slowdown with cable at peak times but acceptable.
Just wish RR would increase the upload speed, 768 Sucks.

Mar 2010 Everything is still the same here. Speeds have been consistent and where they are supposed to be. Upload still sucks though.

Jan 2011 Nothing new to report. A few times the cable went out but was corrected in a reasonable amount of time. Speeds remain consistent with the occasional holiday slowdowns. Still stuck with the 768 upload, hopefully that will be changed sometime soon.

Oct 2012 RR increased their upload speed from 768 to 1000 a few months back. Better but still slow. In Dec I am getting the 50/5 package...looking forward to that.

Mar 2013 Finally got the 50/5 package. Only had it for a couple of days, but so far it is solid.
What a difference from the 15/1 package. It costs $30 more per month than the standard 15/1 package which brings it up to $59 per month with the TV and Phone bundle.

Oct 2013 Still running well. No outages or problems since March. Speeds remain consistent.
Would like to see a boost in the upload speed, especially for a 50 package.

June 2014 Have the 50/5 package now. Last month they had an upgrade. This upgrade totally screwed up everything. Problems with email and tremendous slowdowns with internet speeds. If this keeps up much longer I will be changing providers.
All they say is that they are aware of the problem and are working on it...Yeah right.

July 2014 Things are pretty much back to normal. Took a long time to correct IMO.

member for 8.8 years, 5250 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:
ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

Email.

This is why you do NOT use your ISP's email addresses. Why do users still insist on using their ISP email? So when you change ISPs again you can change that addy? get a domain or a domain. $9.25 on name.com with a coupon code.

Review by billko See Profile

• Location: Apalachin,Tioga,NY
Good "You're not making a deal with the devil."
Bad "You're making it with his brother."
Overall "It's the most unreliable service I'd ever encountered, and the customer service is brain dead."

I had issues with the modem constantly disconnecting. Knowing it was a networking issue and not something on my end, but having to play the game anyway, they told me to bring in my modem for a replacement. I guess the modems the rent out are horrid pieces of junk because there was a line out the door of customers who had modems that all magically failed on the same day.

While I understand that they have to read from a script, you'd think they might not be completely brain dead and maybe figure out that, after the third or fourth person that they told the to bring in their modem for an exchange, they would get the idea that it might not be a customer issue? I mean, obviously, out of the 30 or 40 people waiting there, a few of them had the same support person?

Comments:
why60loss

join:2012-09-20

Welcome to time warner cable

Best of luck to you, Have had Comcast now for almost 7 months and while far from perfect is not nearly as bad as time warner cable.

tonytony1
join:2011-05-21
New York, NY

modem issue time warner nyc

Last week they were several thunderstorms in my area, my internet connection stop working,
I am using time warner cable NYC,
I have a modem (A) that is connected to my router and to that router direct Ethernet wire to my laptop, and my desktop. wireless to my Wi-Fi extender, for my cell in another room, I was able to connect my laptop directed to my modem too, since the modem has 4 Ethernet ports, my laptop has a USB to Ethernet adapter that adapter has to lights one that says 100 mbps and the other one 1000 mbps, always when I connect my laptop to my router the 100mbps lights, but when I connect directed to the modem the 1000mbps lights.
Anyway I called customer service and they were telling me that when they send a signal to the modem they see that everything is fine and that the thunderstorms do not had anything to do with me not having ,internet, so if I want to for a worker to come and check it up and if nothing is wrong with the modem I will be charged, so I said not I will got to the time warner office and get a new modem.

I got a new and different modem, modem(B), well I had to call again customer service since my speed was to slow, and yes my internet was working, so something was wrong with modem (A), and I have now different problems with this modem (B) I can only connect one device to it,
If I connect the router to the modem and laptop to the modem the laptop is not working (no internet) but if I connect the laptop to the router it will work? The customer helper was telling me to disconnect the router and restart my laptop and connect the laptop to the modem but not the router so I did that and finally my laptop connected to the modem (B) was working but my router was disconnected, and for my surprise, the connection light on my Ethernet adapter was 100mbps, not 1000mbps like the other modem (A). So I think something is wrong with this new modem or from the office they don’t want me to connect more than one device, so I disconnect my laptop from the modem and connect the router to the modem and laptop to the modem so I can have my desktop connected to the router.
Anyone can give me and idea why it is like that? I was thinking in going back and get another modem?
jades

join:2013-04-01

TWC is the worst!!

You think your experience is bad? How about 3 outages every month? Longest outage lasted 6 days!!

Review by hstenzel See Profile

• Location: Hillsborough,Orange,NC
Good "At least we have broadband, it's acceptable (even if pricey) when it works."
Bad "Frequent outages, tremendous problems, very long time for any resolution"
Overall "I wish I had a better choice"

I've had Time Warner Cable for internet for a long time. They are (effectively) the only provider in my area.

We seem to go through cycles where it works reasonably well for a while, then tremendous problems, followed by working reasonably well, punctuated by episodic drops and outages, working well, and tremendous problems. Presently I'm in the midst of an extended bout of tremendous problems.

A few observations:

* TWC really does not know when there is a problem
* TWC really does not know what the problem is
* TWC does not do anything unless you call them a whole lot
* TWC support likes to send things back to the beginning, slowing down problem resolution

I'm sure that for simple problems what they do is adequate. But many times I have reported problems that affect my entire town or region and TWC tries to brush it off or roll a tech to just my house. Repeatedly.

When it works, it's fine. I've had periods of a year where it does work properly. But periods of months where it does not work properly and it requires tremendous effort on my part to try to get them to fix the problem. They exhaust me.

Comments:
ernliz

join:2001-11-25
Albemarle, NC

TWC

I agree. TWC has a monopoly in many NC areas. But the $60/mo you cite is for what? Internet alone? I pay around $110 for Standard (15 Mbps) Internet and DVR TV. Not bad. It would help to state just what your $60 is for.....

Review by Smandy See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Nothing at all"
Bad "Abysmally slow, horrible, awful support"
Overall "I'd trade one of my fingers for ability to use a different ISP"

I have tried for about a month now to resolve a long standing issue involving ping times as high as 10 seconds, which has been ongoing for about 3 months.

I have talked to L1, L2, L3 support, ADSS (Advance Digital Sytems Service, a department that most people don't even know exists), escalations, Customer Relations, posted on their Facebook page, posted on twitter, and even emailed the CTO.

I have been logging ping times every 5 seconds for the last month, so I can prove the problem exists, and the support people were still skeptical.

Finally, after bombing their social media and email accounts, I got some attention, but only after the most recent social media/internet activity.

They have sent out 2 technicians, 2 foreman, run new cable, and still the problem persists. I have never in my life seen such a broken system. I am an electrical engineer who builds internet products for a living. If I can't even convince them that there is a problem that needs to be fixed, then the typical user doesn't have a prayer.

member for 113 days, 43 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

swintec

10 seconds?

Ping times to what is 10 seconds?
Smandy
join:2014-06-02

Re: 10 seconds?

First hop from router.

Re: 10 seconds?

Can you post an example traceroute showing the issue? Maybe even better, post in the TW forum here as I am sure many would like to see that behavior.

1 recommendation

Logging every 5 seconds?

Logging pings every 5 seconds? Has it ever occurred to you that your logging is what is causing your latency?

I'd love to know how are you logging the pings and therefore the latency.

BTW an electronic engineer here.
Smandy
join:2014-06-02
New York, NY

Re: Logging every 5 seconds?

The ICMP packet is 64 bytes. If 64 bytes every 5 seconds brings the network to its knees, that is a problem in and of itself.

I have a NAS box that is directly connected to the router, which is running a timestamped ping using the `ping`utility in conjuction with `date`. It's a freebsd box running FreeNAS.

Here is a slightly redacted traceroute:
1 XXXXXXXX (xxx.xxx.xx.x) 0.566 ms 0.423 ms 0.344 ms
2 * cpe-68-173-48-1.nyc.res.rr.com (68.173.48.1) 3994.900 ms 50.201 ms
3 gig-0-3-0-12-nycmnyb-rtr02.nyc.rr.com (24.29.139.182) 22.659 ms 22.038 ms *
4 agg56.nyclnyrg01r.nyc.rr.com (184.152.112.109) 1775.546 ms 36.364 ms 23.6 87 ms
5 107.14.19.24 (107.14.19.24) 23.741 ms 25.623 ms 24.585 ms
15 * lga15s35-in-f0.1e100.net (173.194.43.32) 3518.250 ms 31.594 ms

needsomehelp

join:2014-02-07
Canada

Re: Logging every 5 seconds?

said by Smandy:

2 * cpe-68-173-48-1.nyc.res.rr.com (68.173.48.1) 3994.900 ms 50.201 ms

I pinged that address from Canada, 31ms
Looks like the issue is coming from congestion on your local network...
Try removing the router, put your computer in safe mode (or equivalent), then run and post trace route again

Dallas, TX
No it won't bring the network to it's knees but some routers may consider your constant pings as an attack (smurf) and delay or drop the ICMP packets. Whats wrong with using 3 or 5 pings every five minutes like MRTG? Other thing to consider ICMP packets are not considered a priority.

Besides if you don't see anything positive in TWC ('Good Nothing at all') whats keeping you from switching to Verizon FiOS?

said by etaadmin:

I'd love to know how are you logging the pings and therefore the latency.

BTW an electronic engineer here.

Agreed. Something just does not add up.

Are page loads 10+ seconds? Outside of running ping tests, would you ever notice a problem with your line if you didnt run them?

Did you ever consider that maybe pings are being filtered / prioritized due to the frequency you are running them?

·RapidVPS
The high ping times also do not carry through to the rest of the trace either. If it did that would indeed indicate a problem somewhere.
ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ADSS?

Define ADSS- as someone who works closely with TWC and on a national level with all departments including their President's office in NY- this department isn't even such as one. And as far as the CTO- is that for your region or the national level? Emailing national CTO won't help you as you will be redirected back to your region.
soja

join:2014-01-21
Waterloo, NY

MTR

Have you considered running a MTR?

»winmtr.net/download-winmtr/

This will show you if your local gateway is just responding to ICMP requests slow, or if the high latency is carrying through to more hops.

Review by LadyL See Profile

• Location: Lorain,Lorain,OH
Overall "reliable"

Service is ok for what I need.
Nothing new,other than the price increase...which is getting ridiculous !

member for 12 years, 5656 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by WhatNow See Profile

• Location: Laurinburg,Scotland,NC
Good "Has been reliable. The only service was a few calls to reset the cable box."
Bad "I had the 3 play until they wanted to charge a monthy fee for the modem."
Overall "Only choice I have for internet. Service has gotten pricey. "

TWC is the only choice I have for internet. Sometimes I think the node is overloaded occasionally but it may be the sites I am streaming. Only one time in 7 years have I felt the help rep was feeding me a line. The other three or four times the techs were very professional. Normally a cable box reset fixed the problem never had a truck roll.

When TWC decided to charge the monthly fee I bought my own modem and dropped the VoIP. That saved me about $40/mo. I seldom made any calls and most of the calls I got were sales calls. In the end I saved a lot of money. The price keeps going up on the TV / internet and if I could get OTA I would cut the cord. Live too far from all but one TV tower for OTA. I use the Primetime on Demand often to catch after 10 o clock shows.

Comments:

DocsisCat
join:2013-10-10
Princeton, TX

... OTA ...

Pardon, ... what does OTA stand for? If it's, "Over the Air", what is that, please?
macbookguy

join:2008-02-08

Re: ... OTA ...

said by DocsisCat:

When it comes to broadcasting, OTA does mean Over the Air. That means free signals being broadcast from a station that you can pick up with an antenna.