Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by dsl10102 See Profile

• Location: Studio City,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Acceptable, when it works...which, of late, is more often."
Bad "slow-to-no speeds, forever-length hold times, remote support not always current with respect to network conditions"
Overall "Improvements are encouraging"

Improved speeds. Recently more reliable.

Comments:

Review by DMF3 See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
Good "Excellent CSR personnel"
Bad "Slow; sign-up system barely works"
Overall "If you have to have it you have to have it."

New account, set up online. Standard internet-only package, quoted at 15 mbps. Nominally $40/mo with $5/mo online order discount. My own modem (Netgear CM400). The sign-up screen says that I will receive email instructions within 48 hours on how to provision the modem. I did get a "Welcome to TWC" email, but three days later no instructions. So I call.

I have an order number from the printout of the order page. TWC tier 1 tech can find neither the order nor an account for me. She will talk to tier 2(?) and call me back in 20 minutes. 2 hours - no one calls. I call again and this time go to Sales. They can actually see the order; it is not complete and no clue why. So Sales completes the order and 25 minutes into the call I actually get an account number! Also a job number that tech can use for provisioning. He sends me back to tech, who initially cannot find the account. She asks where I am (he sent me to New York CS) and forwards to the correct tech department, who initially can find neither the account nor the job number. Finally finds the account, takes the MAC address, but there is option on the account to provision the modem. "What is the scheduled job for?" I ask. "For a tech to come out and complete the install IN A WEEK!" #$%*! Transfer back to Customer Service. She listens and immediately forwards to a tier 3 tech. Finally! Guy knows what he's doing, can see the modem and we provision it (takes about 15 minutes, though).

Finally online! Total phone time about 100 minutes. And this was supposed to be an automated setup ! All personnel are friendly, competent, and willing to help. It is the system that is messed up. Strangely, I would have said the same of TWC when I first used them 35 years ago.

I've had Comcast in Atlanta for years and am used to FAST internet. According to the speed tests, the "15 mbps" rate is optimistic. There are faster service tiers, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay double the Comcast rates for 1/3 the speed. Not enough experience to rate service reliability.

I suppose there are worse ISPs, but I (fortunately) haven't had to use one. Value sucks, too. If you have an alternative, use it.

Jan-07-15

I'm getting a LOT of "unable to connect" pages. cbssports.com ?? These aren't timeouts; looks more like filtering.

Also, dnssearch (sp?) intrudes on occasion, but I see that there a fix for.

Jan-10-15

It *was* filtering - mine. I forget to enable HTTP in Peerblock.

Supposedly disabled failure re-direct, but can't tell yet how effective that is...

- Dennis

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

At least you got what your paying for..

TWC sounds like Century the missing link. I also was speaking with fools that use to respond to "Ding, Fries are done!!!" when I tried out there 7Meg DSL line that was lucky to see 900K.
snookeehook

join:2015-01-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

my e mail address

where did my e mail address go and why is it not working and can it be fixed ifve had it for years and years

Review by Pathfinder See Profile

• Location: Mount Vernon,Westchester,NY
Good "it works most of the time"
Bad "tech support is a joke. sales lied to me"
Overall "Not impressed"

Dec 2014

Due to illness I have moved in with relatives. I have FIOS at home and am very satisfied. Here they had Verizon DSL. As I am adding to the usage and we now have 2 Netflix accounts, we decided to go with Time Warner Triple play. The ad said 89.99 so we called to get that. No premium channels and 15/1 internet. No problem. The rep told my daughter that the $89.99 was only for new customers and signed us for $161. I found out that he was misinformed or downright lied to us. I tend to believe the latter as further dealings didn't go well. I called back the next day with the ad in hand and after 15 minutes with billing was told that the first rep was wrong and if I called back they would see her notes and correct the price. I called back to speak with sales and while they saw the billing reps note they could not find that offer. After an hour on the phone we settled on a plan that in total came to $126 and upped the speed. I was not happy but accepted it.

Five minutes later the internet went dead. I have an ARRIS 1762 and a Cisco router. I was told that TW wifi is $5 per month. I called tech support and reached a tech with a bad accent. The first thing I asked him is if my ARRIS was reset. He assured me that everything was the way it had been. I plugged a laptop directly into the ARRIS and got nothing. He then asked if I had another laptop to try. I explained that I don't keep spare laptops in my pocket as a rule and told him that there were 2 wired PCs and a wifi PC along with 2 ROKUs 2 tablets and 2 phones. None worked. He had me reset everything at least 1/2 dozen times. He was quite obviously clueless but I was stuck. after 1 hour and 15 minutes he transferred me to the next tier. That tech took one look at my records, asked me if I intended to use the Cisco or Arris for wifi and when I told him Cisco he reset the Arris to bridge mode and we were done. Total time including resets 6 1/2 minutes.

I would go back to DSL rather than call tech support again. Total idiots at the first tier.

member for 14.8 years, 8355 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dstone1029 See Profile

• Location: Prairie Village,Johnson,KS
Good "It is the only service I can get here."
Bad "Flaky in the extreme. Two router/modems so far in one year"
Overall "Waiting for Google Fiber then goobye to this crap"

Ordered the turbo boost boasting up to 30MBPS down, 5 MBPS up. Currently getting something like 2MBPS down 1.5 UP. Talked to three different technicians in the last few days who decided there wasn't anything they could do from their end. As usual treated me like I was an idiot, but that's to be expected. The decided there was severe packet loss and something not right with the area service that three people couldn't figure out how to fix. One of them said he would call be back at 8 last night, never happened.

Now have to wait two more days before a service tech can get to the area.

Not at all happy since I use this service to remote into my office on weekends and the connection is ludicrously slow.

Comments:

Review by MrBungle87 See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "TV is garbage. Overpriced, rate hikes, below the line fees, constant stupidity."
Bad "Overpriced; decaying infrastructure; poorly trained sales and tech reps"
Overall "Don't waste your time."

·Frontier Communi..
1/2/2015: dropped Internet around a year ago, have only had TV since then (Preferred TV with one HD, non-DVR box), which started at a promo rate of $49.99 and something like $7 for the STB. Well, TWC sent me a letter GRACIOUSLY extending my promo rate for another 6 months. But they didn't. I'm not paying $59.99, plus like $6 more in taxes and fees, so my total bill in the past of $64 is now up to $82. I guess the idea is they're just letting me know they're not charging me as much as they *could*. Will be canceling TV ASAP. Sick of this shit.

Signed up for Extreme (30/5) Internet, having bought my own Motorola SB6121 modem. Once signed up and provisioned the modem wouldn't sync and turns out was still not activated. Had to call TWC several different times just to get transferred to a higher level tech. The tech finally determined the modem hadn't been "entered into" their system properly. After the requisite wasting of my time on the phone I was finally activated. Speed tests yield around 34Mbit download (during non-peak hours) and 5 to 5.75Mbit upload. Do note, however, that peak time speeds were cut by about half, taking me down to around 15-17Mbit with some packet loss.

The only positive thing I can really say about TWC Internet in our area is it's faster and typically more stable than DSL from Frontier. Upload speeds, while still a paltry 5Mbit, are approximately 5 times faster than what we got from Frontier's VDSL. However, the cable plant in this area has been neglected for quite some time and shows obvious signs of wear and tear.

After the promo period expires, I'm given to understand the price of the 30/5 tier increases to $74.99 a month (but TWC is adept at being VERY tight=lipped about non-promo pricing, even if you walk into an office and ask them face-to-face).

Bottom line? I tried it for a month, decided it wasn't worth it at present time, and will probably just tether my phone's LTE until either Frontier or Time Warner gets their shit together.

member for 2 years, 602 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

FitzDaMan

join:2014-02-26
USA

TWC Reward Card Quailifications.

On DEC 2,2013, I had Extreme Internet(100MBPS),and TWO DVRS("Household Package Bundle" for Living Room/Bedroom) installed by TWC(no phone service). I was a NEW Customer. The Technician said I was good to go to obtain the Samsung Galaxy Tablet IF I adhered to the Requirements:
1) Keep Bill Payments ONTIME for 3 months.
2) Present an old "WOW" Bill terminating their service and what we had.
3) DO NOT drop any Services Installed.
4) Register WITHIN 30 days AFTER the Installation to obtain the "Rewards Redemption Number" for the Card.

HERE'S what you ALL should watch out for...I feel.

The Promo for THAT Tablet itself ENDED on DEC.18,2013.
To REGISTER within 30 days DID NOT and IS NOT a valid,legal statement to obtain the Tablet. I registered on DEC.23rd,2013(WELL within the allotted time frame of 30 days,I THOUGHT) and obtained a Redemption Number THINKING I had applied within the terms. WRONG answer Rick. They didnot inform me, ONCE the Promotion ended it ALSO took the warning of the 30 days registration WITH IT to quailify. So, in essence, I had ONLY(DEC 2 - 18th) to get my butt online and REGISTER, to which it's a DIRECT contradiction in terms, I feel. So, I caution you all that are applying for their "NEW" deal for the next Promo.....better ask,... I didn't.... and now I'm screwed "..........Samsung Galaxy Tab® 3 7.0 and Samsung Galaxy Note® 8.0 offers expire 1/31/14 or when supplies run out, whichever occurs first. Samsung Galaxy Tab® 3 7.0 is available to new subscribers and..........."

Now they say I am ONLY good to get the $150 Visa Card. HUH??? I AT LEAST thought I/we would of gotten "Grandfathered" in since the DEC 2nd Installation was so close to the Expiration of the Promo on DEC.18th. It's when the Promo for THAT PARTICULAR phone ended.....NOT for the Registration of the Rewards Card Requirements to obtain the Tablet.....I thought. What am i missing? I dunno.

Just switched to Frontier from TWC

I also posted on your Frontier review. I found TWC to be unusable at times despite the speedtest.net results I was getting. Switching to Frontier has eliminated those issues. I can actually work from home reliably now, and streaming is actually usable. I had the Extreme (30/5) package from TWC, but they recently notified me I would start having to pay $77.95 per month soon, so I decided to leave. Given the Comcrap merger will likely include bandwidth caps, I thought it was best to be ahead of the curve. If Frontier doesn't work out for me long term, then Google Fiber coming to town is my only hope.

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

I hear you. Frontier has better local techs and they seem to give more of a shit than TWC does. It's just unfortunate that Frontier can't EVER seem to resolve their capacity issues. I realize ISPs don't plan for everyone to be using 100% of their connection all the time, but the peak-hour bandwidth issues with Frontier make it pretty miserable to do anything online (especially when pings jump up to 900ms).

Google Fiber seems like the only hope for this area.

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

Ironically, after praising Frontier today, of course I have no service tonight. I am posting this from TWC because I hadn't cancelled yet. Frontier tech support cannot tell me why my Internet is down. Apparently my options are snappy performance and middling reliability or vice versa, but not both. When it is working, my pings are still sub 30ms. Come on, Google Fiber!

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

What package do you have? I have Ultra (I think) which is 24/2 VDSL and we've had about the same reliability as when we were on ADSL (7/1)--which is to say, crappy.

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

I HAD Ultimate which is 24/2. The DSL connections to the DSLAM were up, but it wasn't passing any IP traffic past there. I called to cancel today because I work from home frequently, and I cannot rely on flaky technology. Anyway, the CSR admitted that they had been having a lot of outages in my area and offered me a $5 discount on the service to stay. I refused because it doesn't matter how little it might cost if the service is not up when I need it. TWC, for all its other issues, is up pretty much all the time.

When I had ADSL (7M/768k) with Verizon at my old house, it was rock solid, and honestly, perfectly usable for anything I need to do on a regular basis. I was hoping the VDSL solution from Frontier would be like that.

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

My dad works from home, too, and depends on a stable (not fast, mind you, just stable) connection but both Frontier and TWC couldn't meet that standard. Frontier is definitely the less reliable of the two, but we had dropped packets, low peak hour speeds, etc. with TWC, as well. So...what other options are there? AT&T? They won't even bring U-Verse here. It's a farce.

Review by mitchell See Profile

• Location: Darlington,Darlington,SC
Good "Fast! Low Latency, No Drops(so far)"
Bad "No support Locally for setup"
Overall "Ummmm??? Feeling like I'm being played"

I have been on Bellsouth (ATT) DSL for over 12 years. The pushed a upgrade to me from 3.0 to 6.0 and I knew it! The line was not stable and sucked eggs big time. I'm too far for that speed, but the new guy said its within specs. Well I was not happy and they would not take me back to 3.0, so I for the first time in over a decade actually entered a TW office and had Cable installed in my home..They were shocked I didnt have a cable drop from the road on my property!!! But its been soooo nice to have stable IP again and the powerboost is really nice I've seen speeds up to 12MB at times with most average speed at 6-8MB...

I am paying for a bundle (yep I've been bundled) of HDTV.DVR IP and Phone for 89.00/month with no contract!!! That's right no contract...probably because I dropped DirecTV at the same time...I dont know and I still have the direct system on standby just incase...

My modem is a Arris 5204 and I have a Dlink Router after that to provide Wireless and to plug my desktops into for IP access..all have been flawless

UPDATE DEC 31, 2014 ---

I have been feeling like I'm being played for my funds. I don't understand how 3 yrs ago I was paying 108.00 for Phone, DVR Digital tier and standard internet and today 3 yrs later the bill is running near $150.00 a month. AND its going up more Jan 1st !!!! I am about to the end of my string BUT what can a man do? I have two females that HAVE to watch HGTV and FOOD network and I admit I love the Internet. I am going in to try to talk them down some. My ladies may have to take a hit on the TV stuff and stream what they can on the innernets..

Comments:

anon

@reliablehosting.com

MAC address of router identifies brand/model

they can tell the brand/model of your router by looking up the MAC address of the router plugged into their modem, but they cannot see how many computers are running behind your router, as to the front side (world) of the router it just looks like one single MAC address form the router to the modem.

now if you used a switch (dummy router) and each computer plugged into the switch was getting a different IP address then for sure they would be able to tell how many computers you had plugged into the switch and on.

Review by jgkolt See Profile

• Location: Avon,Lorain,OH
Good "Cheaper than competition"
Bad "Poor processes, poor billing, random connection errors"
Overall "If i didn't need cable for my Tivo's i would switch"

Ordered the extreme internet package which should be 30 down 5 up and it generally beats those speeds. I ordered the internet as part of the cable tv so the pricing got a little meshed together. The order and install process went ok but very few reps new what the upload speed was for any of the plans. I choose the one with the highest upload speed. Originally we used a Motorola sb6141 modem had so many issues. We replaced it multiple times but it seems the time warner service doesn't work well with that modem. I spent 2 weeks of my Christmas break last year trying to troubleshoot it. I would lose connection after a few minutes of streaming content like netflix. 3 modems later we switched to an arris dg860a and exactly a year later we are having connection issues. i don't think it is the modem but we swapped out for a ubee modem/wifi and it is working better. It seems like every year i need to purchase a new modem in order to work with time warner. the techs are nice but commonly have very minimal knowledge of networking and what they are doing. Every time a tech is in the house they ask what is that device (thats a normal switch), which doesn't start establish a trusted relationship. The scheduling process for an onsite tech will cancel at any chance they get. Even though you are scheduled a time they will be there, they will call multiple times in the upcoming days and if you don't answer any time they will cancel it, like they don't want to help. In order to get a senior tech you need 3 house calls without resolution even if you know you need a senior tech to work on it (no other way to elevate, really). I literally spent over 80 hours troubleshooting problems with their network.My billing has been wrong for almost every single month until very recently. At one point billing spent 45 minutes talking to their supervisor and couldn't figure out how the bill got so messed up they just offered a blanket $20 credit. This is an internet review but i have had so many problems on the tv side getting working cable cards, tuning adapters etc. Upfront it looks cheaper to get time warner but with all the time and money i have spent to correct their issues i should have gone with another carrier for a couple ore dollars and spent more time with my family. I am writing this review after having time warner for 3 years (at this current house) and if i didn't need cable for my tivo's i would leave.

Comments:

Review by CCat See Profile

• Location: Wonderland
Good "50Mb Down / 5 Mb Up"
Bad "Getting expensive"
Overall "Pretty consistant"

I switched from WOW in March. TWC offered a bundle with cable, internet, and voip.
Aside from a minor install problem (which was corrected the next day) everything went well. The turbo speed (15Mb down) is great. I only have 768K up but I really don't upload much so for me its not an issue. So far, so good.

Jan 2009 ISP has been very consistent with speeds. Aside from the usual slowdowns at peak times, and even these are not really a problem. At this point I am very happy with Roadrunner.

Sep 2009 Nothing has changed since Jan. A couple of outages due to weather but thats about it. The usual slowdown with cable at peak times but acceptable.
Just wish RR would increase the upload speed, 768 Sucks.

Mar 2010 Everything is still the same here. Speeds have been consistent and where they are supposed to be. Upload still sucks though.

Jan 2011 Nothing new to report. A few times the cable went out but was corrected in a reasonable amount of time. Speeds remain consistent with the occasional holiday slowdowns. Still stuck with the 768 upload, hopefully that will be changed sometime soon.

Oct 2012 RR increased their upload speed from 768 to 1000 a few months back. Better but still slow. In Dec I am getting the 50/5 package...looking forward to that.

Mar 2013 Finally got the 50/5 package. Only had it for a couple of days, but so far it is solid.
What a difference from the 15/1 package. It costs $30 more per month than the standard 15/1 package which brings it up to $59 per month with the TV and Phone bundle.

Oct 2013 Still running well. No outages or problems since March. Speeds remain consistent.
Would like to see a boost in the upload speed, especially for a 50 package.

June 2014 Have the 50/5 package now. Last month they had an upgrade. This upgrade totally screwed up everything. Problems with email and tremendous slowdowns with internet speeds. If this keeps up much longer I will be changing providers.
All they say is that they are aware of the problem and are working on it...Yeah right.

July 2014 Things are pretty much back to normal. Took a long time to correct IMO.

Dec 2014 I see its that time again for the below the line fee increases. For me TWC is just about at the breaking point. Just waiting to see what happens on this BS merger.

member for 9.1 years, 5482 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

Email.

This is why you do NOT use your ISP's email addresses. Why do users still insist on using their ISP email? So when you change ISPs again you can change that addy? get a domain or a domain. $9.25 on name.com with a coupon code.

Review by rlj4214 See Profile

• Location: Austin,Hays,TX
Good "Speed"
Bad "Tech, Intrusive "
Overall "Strangulation would be a good choice for the NOC people. Looking for another ISP."

Price is "surf and view" with turbo speed.

There are no other ISP's that work here. It is a monopoly.

They talked me into "upgrading" to their new Arris router.
Since then, my internal network has been totalled.
Had most of it working with the exception of internal name resolution for my whopping 6 user network and they pushed something down that completely hosed the internal network. How dare me run a 2 user mail server. Don't even think about anything that resembles a web server or file sharing that can't be done via their email.
All of a sudden bizarre ip addresses and NO connectivity. Lost phones internal net everything. Every ping to a local hostname was sent to 198.105.244.228 a KNOWN MALWARE SITE or at least a PUP if you prefer to look at it that way.
If I could get my hands on the NOC manager, who apparently is in the Philippines, at least that is where the "tech" support dip is, it could be ugly.

I called tech, got this guy in the Philippines who knows NOTHING about Linux and his only answer for ANYTHING is to reboot the router. Pushed down another "update" in the process. Asked to talk to someone that could find their butt with both hands and a roadmap and got put on hold. 20 minutes later I hung up.
The ONLY thing that was decent about tech support is that the guy actually spoke English.

I am LIVID with these jerks.

Their pre sales hype sounds good and is almost like being ignorant enough to believe Obammy Bin Lyin'.
Their Install Co-ordination is they short of show up unannounced whenever they want and expect you to accommodate them, even if you are in the shower.
Connection reliability has to be rated very poorly because they destroy the network every 5 minutes with an "update".
Tech support is beyond the worst. I've met grade school kids that were smarter than the people I spoke with.
Services, well, in order to have service you have to have consistency. Not Happening. Unless you include the pre-meditated chaos and stupidity.
Value. Once again you have to have consistency, OOPS, not happening.

With this new router they have managed to become the most intrusive, manipulating ISP I have ever dealt with.

BTW I had run my extremely abusive 2 user email server for years, probably 10+ and nobody cared. New router, BAM nope you can't do that.

I have no earthly idea who to try at this point. There has to be somebody that will give me reasonable speed and an IP address and leave me the hell alone.

Unbelievably intrusive.

It states below that I can't have a profanity laces post. Too bad, since that is the only way I could possibly express my displeasure with Time Warner.

There is no other ISP is there?

Comments:

DrDrew

...answers.

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.dnsrsearch.com.west.twcable.com
Addresses: 198.105.244.228
198.105.254.228

That IP you're getting is TWC NXDOMAIN redirection to a Yahoo sponsored search site, same as many other ISPs have been doing. It's not malware and doesn't host malware. You can opt out of the redirection using the preferences on the webpage you're redirected to: »www.dnsrsearch.com/prefs.php or you could also use other DNS servers, not TWCs, to correct the problem. You'll have to change them in the gateway or every client on your network.

The gateway modem you've been given can be put in bridge mode, so you can use what ever router you want. You can also buy your own modem...

Gosh that's interesting DrDrew

I get the following

Trying to ping a host by name results in being sent to 198.105.244.228.
In the event that you are not familiar with that IP it is:

OrgName: Search Guide Inc
PostalCode: 80302
Country: US
RegDate: 2012-06-26
Updated: 2012-06-26

It is a known browser redirect malware operation.
That IP is no where that I can find in my configuration.

And that is from searching about the IP on the internet

When I do nslookup I get

Server: 192.168.0.1
Address: 192.168.0.1#53

** server can't find 228.244.105.198.in-addr.arpa.: NXDOMAIN

So tell me DrDrew
EXACTLY what does Time Warner do when they "provision" a cable modem / router that is brought to them.
Apparently they have to do something. At least that is what I was told, in order for it wot work AT ALL on their network.

3 edits

So tell me DrDrew

Cable ops enter the MAC address of the modem in their billing system so it is authorized when connected. When the modem is authorized and then connected to an active cable line for that provider, it goes through a signal sync process, it is sent a DHCP lease (which includes IP, DNS, etc.) and a configuration file (based on the services you're paying for) which specifies speed tier, number of public IPs allowed, basic port filters (for netBIOS and a few other security risks), router config (if it's a gateway model), phone config (if it's a eMTA model), and some other parameters.

Here's an old, basic, DOCSIS config file generator on Cisco's website, to give you an idea of what goes into the config files:
»www.cisco.com/support/toolkit/Ca···eate.htm

Austin, TX
Oh, and I did opt out and changed the name servers. Result was the same.

2 edits

said by rlj4214:

Oh, and I did opt out and changed the name servers. Result was the same.

After the change did you reboot the modem and clear your DNS/browser caches? If for some reason the opt out doesn't work TWC Tier 3 support has been able to force an opt out in the past. You'll have to wade through phone support for a bit to get to them.

When I do nslookup I get

Server: 192.168.0.1
Address: 192.168.0.1#53

Did you change the DNS servers in the gateway because that NSLOOKUP still shows you as using the gateway as a DNS forwarder, so what ever DNS servers the gateway is picking up through the DHCP lease are being used unless specifically changed.

Really if you want to know what »198.105.244.228 is, type it in a web browser. It'll take you to the TWC DNS redirect search page @ »www.dnsrsearch.com and you'll see the Yahoo logos on it as well.

The redirect IP won't show in your config. It's a reply from TWCs DNS servers in place of a NXDOMAIN reply.

3 edits

PostalCode: 80302
Country: US
RegDate: 2012-06-26
Updated: 2012-06-26

Search Guide Inc is a product of the Xerocole compay. They are a 3rd party DNS search service provider. You can find their description of it here: »www.xerocole.com/searchguide/ It originally came from a company called Simplicita which was bought up by a company called Sandvine and later spun off.

If you do a scan of their subnet 198.105.254.xxx, you'll find some of their customer's DNS redirect search pages:
»198.105.254.11 Level3
»198.105.254.228 Time Warner Cable
jarred125

join:2014-02-27

Re: ...answers.

Hats off to you DrDrew for keeping your cool.
Austin, TX
And one other question. What do you recommend for a wireless cable modem router?

4 edits

said by rlj4214:

I wouldn't recommend any combo devices. I recommend a stand alone modem like the Arris/Motorola SB6183. As far as the router the Asus RT-68U is a good choice unless you want to roll your own or have something better.

The combo gateway devices with included router and wireless receive a basic router/wireless config from the cable company and they control ALL firmware versions for them. They also control what features are available (Comcast has been turning on extra WiFi SSIDs) and can lock end users out at any time (Mediacom has been pushing "cloud" configuration utilities). It also creates problems when troubleshooting any problems since the two functions (modem and router) can't be separated. I recommend against them for any knowledgeable users.

Re: ...answers.

Thank you very much for your replies.

Confz

@75.80.242.x

You're Kidding right?

I'm sure you're post isn't over dramatic at all huh?
Being in a Maxx upgraded area, and having soooooo bad.
You have a choice to buy your own modem, as well as your own router. I'll give it to you about the tech support, that can be frustrating. Maybe they need to train them more in all operating systems, but their job is just to make sure you're online.
Austin, TX

Re: You're Kidding right?

No I'm not kidding and I really don't care if you think it's over dramatic
It's irritating as hell.

tyrone 2

@50.88.178.x

pc problems.

so many people try to get faster speeds with older p/c's or old g routers, which will not go over 25 mbs, or some customers put in there own outlets, causing ingress, or signal loss. there are many factors that cause problems, may be a bad drop, or self installed cables. etc, but most subscribers get 20 more mbs than what they pay for, if all is good on the cable, and customers equipment.

Re: pc problems.

Equipment is current. Speed is good. Tampering by TWC is not good.
Imasumak

join:2014-12-30
USA

Time Warner Has Scrambled All of My TV Channels!

I only have internet service with Time Warner. Up until last month, I was able to perform the automatic channel set up on my TV and it would find all available "Free over the airwaves" channels which tv owners have always had access to using a simple antenna.
Last month I suddenly could not get "Any" channels on my two tv's. They all showed "This channel is scrambled." When I called Time Warner which has cable lines running into the building I live in, I was told that I "Must" have their TV cable service to have tv access. Now unless I am mistaken, digital, HD or whatever, I am supposed to be able to access the above mentioned Free antenna airwaves without interruption as we all have always been able to do without cable service. This situation is affecting thousands of Los Angeles residents also. As areas of Los Angeles were divided up among Cable Companies some time ago, one has no options or freedom of choice and can only subscribe to the cable service available in your area. I think that's called a "MONOPOLY".
So now my TVs are "BRICKS" and I am enraged that TW has been allowed to do this. Can anyone advise me as to what possible recourse there may be?
There are thousands of Disabled, Seniors and low income families living on fixed incomes who cannot afford to pay for cable service as well as a multitude of TW customers who are disgusted with TW's bad service, constant price hikes and apparent ruthlessness. I don't understand how the Federal Communications Commission has allowed this situation.
I refuse to be held hostage by Time Warner! I am searching for any class action lawsuit related to this situation. If there isn't one , there certainly needs to be one in order to protect consumers. Please share your thoughts and any information that might be helpful. Many Thanks.

4 edits

Re: Time Warner Has Scrambled All of My TV Channels!

said by Imasumak:

You are mistaken. To get cable TV you have to pay for it. A big reason for the encryption was to stop the leechers just plugging into the system, getting service, and introducing problems doing it. Traditional cable was the last paid service where that was really possible; satellite, FIOS, UVerse, etc. all made their customers pay for all services years ago. There is nothing "free" on Cable and many of those free OTA (over the air) channels started charging cable companies a few years ago. If you want free TV, you have to use an antenna.

FCC page on the topic: »www.fcc.gov/guides/cable-system-encryption

Review by n2ubp See Profile

• Location: Middletown,Orange,NY
Good "Faster than ADSL from Frontier"
Bad "online ordering was useless, multiple hand offs when calling help desk"
Overall "The fastest monoploy in my area"

·Frontier Communi..
Ordered the 15mb standard package online with free install. They lost my order record and I had to call them 4 or more times to get things straightened out. Got passed around to multiple departments until we found some intelligent life that knew how to handle the situation. Voice phone line quality for help desk extremely poor, full of noise, static, like you were in the middle of a lightning storm. More time on hold than talking to people. Speedtest shows 16mb download speeds during the day but it goes down to 5mb during the evening when everyone is home and overloading the local circuit, meaning they have over subscribed the area. Still way better speed than Frontier ADSL. I will revisit DSL when and if they upgrade the local plant for faster speeds. Not sure if the TW 15mb package is worthwhile once the promo price expires.

Update Nov 11 2014: TWC is definitely oversubscribed in my area. Speed during daytime hours is a solid 15/1, but once 7PM rolls around download speed can drop as low as 3 mbps until 11pm. Feb 2015 is renewal time. DSL has upped their game with 25mb/2mb service in my area for the same price as the discounted 15/1 Time Warner service. I just may switch if TWC plays hardball with pricing come the renewal date. Power went off down the block and internet was offline for two hours. Guess TWC has no battery backup for the gray boxes hanging on the phone poles. IPV6 seems to work okay.

Update Dec 12 2014: Chatting with TWC today about cost of 15/1 service after one year promo is over. Yes, it will go up. Then told them I could do better elsewhere and they ignored the comment. I guess it is time to move on.

member for 7.5 years, 623 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

frontierwins

@spcsdns.net

frontier is better

frontier has adsl and vdsl. their bottom dollar package blows TW out of the water!
brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ

Re: frontier is better

If you happen to live somewhere Frontier has deemed profitable enough to upgrade, and being in NY it's most likely an ex-Verizon area.. aka good luck getting any upgrades there.
n2ubp

join:2007-07-13
Middletown, NY

Re: frontier is better

no, actually it went something like this: Frontier _> Citizens -> CONTEL -> Continental Telephone Company of Upstate NY -> GTE (pre 1980's). Middletown, NY was never Verizon.
bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY

Frontier was resurrected from the Rochester phone company/Global Crossing
n2ubp

join:2007-07-13
Middletown, NY

Re: frontier is better

In my area Frontier offers 3.7mbps/.5 ADSL service only, as max from fridge size box on the street corner. The best it can chug out is 2.7/.4 mbps. Frontier help desk says no plans to update ten year + old technology. Maybe when they fix all the problems in West Virginia they will come back north.