Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Tonice2007 See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Well, for once support is great expecially when compaired to Verizon Online DSL..."
Bad "Internet really sucks..."
Overall "If I could get the promised internet connection, then it's the purfect deal, at least till Verizion FiOS comes along..."

***Update 11/24/2014

Well, I have been a TWC customer since like May of this year, and as the node have been split, I do get the provisioned speeds; but since their infrastructure is old, and haven't been "upgraded" it is still prone to ingress, which is what I'm experiencing, as on some channels, I have a lot of uncorrectable (dropped) packets; therefore, T3 and other T errors.

I have spoken to Level 3 about this issue, they have pretty been a waste of time, as TWC training of employees are sub-par (I know for a fact...) from there I have spoken to Client Relations, technicians from Technical Operations and a technician from Plant / Engineering. Still nothing has been done about this issue, as it have been raised to L3 since June / July of this year. Hopefully, plant will do something about the issue soon, as they do know about the issue.

***Update 01/26/2011

It seems that the work order was finished on the 20th, but still it doesn't make a difference, during peak usage times (evenings) the internet speeds still suffers; and therefore also, VoIP...

Have a L3 Technician schedule to come out next Friday, to check the "network" on my end, to see where the problem is...

Hopefully, it gets fixed...

***Update 01/20/2011

It seems as if today is the lucky day that the local node that I'm connected to got split. Right now it's 7:30m and I did a speedtest on speedtest.net with the Newark, NJ server, since that server seems to be the closest server, since the pings times are lower then the New York, NY server; and the speeds that I'm getting is 13.01Mbps/.72Mbps, which is pretty close to my provision speeds of at least 12Mbps and at a max of 15Mbps (20Mbps with boost).

Now, if this is true, hopefully tomorrow if not, by Monday, January 24th I can call in for my credits due to the fact that I wasn't getting my provision speeds for the night time, and due to this the VoIP wasn't working as well.

Will update on the on going process.

***Update 11/02/2010

Well, been promised 3 weeks now, that the local node will be split so I could achieve the proper speeds, during all times...

And, it's still not done and no ETA, it could be in the next life for all I know...

And the funny part? I ordered the plan, for the TV, and even that isn't working properly (sound and video issues)...

Original...

Well, first off, I wanted to say out here in Brooklyn, New York, there aren't much options for internet, either you get cable/dsl/satellite. Cable it's either Time Warner (or its partners [Earthlink, NewYork Connect]) or Cablevision, the don't share territory at all; and for DSL, it's pretty much just Verizon (or also, its partners).

So, trust me if I say if I could I would switch, I have an option to switch to...

But basically, my problem is speed, ever since I got my service installed on the 3rd of September this year, the internet speed at night time is very unstable, and the ping time is just terrible; I might be able to get better ping time from satellite, and that's just sad. So, basically, a technician that was dispatched was nice enough to tell me that he couldn't do anything, since the local node out here has too many connections, basically the service is oversold.

Now, two weeks ago, I called in to support and lucky I was able to persuade a level 3 tech, to contact the Network Engineer department, to split the node; and like I said that was two weeks ago, and still I don't know whats happening with this issue.

So, not to be bias, I am going to switch to another provider as soon as there is one, such as FiOS, or affordable wireless (not CLEAR, since it's not worth it, the speed is just unbearable...) that comes as a double/triple play package.

PS

It's just the internet that I hate, I love the TV with all its features; but if the internet sucks, the service sucks, no matter how good the other services are. That's just is for me as a computer "geek"

member for 8.9 years, 1174 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ncted See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Generally good speed, once connection is initiated. Reliable."
Bad "While ping tests show low-latency, first-byte times are lower than expected."
Overall "Fine if you don't mind the price and there isn't anything better to have instead."

·Frontier Communi..
I've had Time Warner Cable Internet on and off since 2000 when it was called Road Runner and I was a beta tester in my area. I have had good and bad experiences over the years. For the past several years, the service has been very reliable and speedy with few exceptions. Most recently I have had the Extreme level of service which is 30/5. I was paying $55/month for this, but the promotional rate is expiring, and the best deal they are offering now is Turbo (20/2) at $65/month for 12 months, but only if I also order phone service for "free." Well, I don't want phone service, so that isn't very attractive to me no matter how you cut it.

In the past month or 2, streaming has become noticeably more variable with respect to picture quality. I can tell that Netflix and Amazon Prime are having to switch bitrates frequently while watching shows in the evenings, but not early in the mornings. I am using a gigabit ethernet network in my house, so I suspect the problem is upstream somewhere.

TWC is an ok choice overall, but I expect their prices to continue to increase due to loss of revenue from their other business lines, which are suffering due to really bad products.

UPDATE 11/24/2014

I cancelled today. Still no promotion available worth staying.

member for 4 years, 603 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by silverforte See Profile

• Location: Kannapolis,Cabarrus,NC
Good "When it works, it works okay."
Bad "It doesn't work often"
Overall "US will never have functional internet"

The US has never had decent internet services compared to the rest of the world. Places like Korea or Japan where decent internet is offered at REASONABLE prices, and it actually WORKS. I had to deal with Windstream's bullshit for years. Dozens of phone calls, usually lasting an hour or more at a time, techs with attitudes coming over and telling me there was nothing wrong with the line despite actual proof I had that there was packet loss and dealing with people on this website who refused to believe there was any packet loss in my network despite hours upon hours I spent producing results in the form of smokepings, tracerts, pathpings, screenshots of game latency meters and more. Eventually, they took remote control of a neighbor to fix a problem they had and noticed the packet loss for themselves, then admitted to me that it was an issue and still did not fix it. Now, I switch to Time Warner internet. 12 down, 1 up. Does it work?

No. I can just barely buffer the first 60 seconds of a youtube video and, sometimes, nothing at all. Not even Google. It spikes, it goes out just enough that it seems like I'm getting a trickle of bandwidth but it isn't 100% off. So, I go from this nightmare with Windstream to the same thing with Time Warner. I even bought a router recently so I could better monitor the traffic in the line and put better security on it as I try my best to track the issue down since the fucking companies can't do it. And then what happens? I get told by people on this website that I will be receiving a call from a tech at TW who would relay information about the checks they supposedly did on my line. The guy calls, BARELY speaks English and tells me there is nothing wrong with my line about 15 times as if he was reading a script.

I have proof in front of me from multiple sources that there are nodes on my network that have latency issues and dropped packets repeatedly, not just once or twice. Almost every time I ping a network, packets are dropped. I'm getting NOWHERE with this company! It seems like no matter what you get, in the US, you're going to have problems! The issues are across the board with these ISPs. People who say they don't have problems are just not aware of them. Perhaps they don't know enough about the systems to realize there is an issue, perhaps they don't use the internet hard enough or often enough to really test the system and bring the issues out to the surface, but they are there. This merger just makes this situation worse. This country needs to get its act together! You ISPs can only milk people for so long! When the tides turn, you'll be left high and dry if you don't get in shape!

(Adding updates exactly as I posted them in the replies here except for a few edits)

Update 1:

Here's an update. I'm still dealing with these issues. It's Wednesday Nov 19. Nearing the end of 2014 and STILL not with stable internet. I've seen at least a dozen techs and had my modem switched out, found out that I wasn't even supposed to have the service enabled to allow me to use the ports on the back of my modem for anything other than the router, so I had to stop doing that when they found out even though I was told it was okay originally.

Packet loss, jitter, all the usual stuff still on my line. Had numerous different techs on dslreports attend my ticket and that bothers me because it seems less helpful to have 3-4 different individuals rotate my case instead of one person who can learn the ins and outs of it. After 3 different claims I'd receive a call back over a month's time, I finally got one yesterday and I was told (first time anyone over at TWC has admitted this) that my tracert results were showing a real problem. Nobody has ever said that, they always say this:

"Well, from what I see your line is clean. No problems with the modem signal."

Which leads to nothing getting done to solve my problem. Someone admitted it was bad yesterday. Holy s**t. I have an engineer (okay, right) coming out tomorrow to check for issues. Last night my packet loss was bad enough that I could not stay connected to anything, not even sites. No hulu, no netflix, no games, no sites, no email, nothing. I tried to open a discussion about the state of the US internet on these forums to regular users and found nothing but arguments that my tracerts showed no problems. Okay, I know THIS is a problem:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms ********

7 15 ms 19 ms 15 ms 107.14.19.99

8 40 ms * 32 ms 66.109.10.62

9 16 ms 17 ms 24 ms as13335.xe-7-0-7.ar1.atl1.us.as4436.gtt.net [69.31.135.118]

10 18 ms 21 ms 36 ms 141.101.114.119

They're all like this. Or down the line near hops 5-8 I'll see the same result as hop 2. HUGE spikes in latency and dropped packets. I've never sent a tracert and not had a minimum of three dropped packets. I get 5% packet loss almost every time I use pingtest.net.

I don't know why this keeps happening. I had this same problem with Windstream at this address and now Time Warner can't fix it, or can't care. I am so done with this country. Everything I order, buy or setup in the US has been faulty. My PC hardware, my internet services, my gaming consoles. Everything in this country is broken and if I had the means I'd leave in a heart beat.

Update 2:

Update: 1:00 PM EST Thursday nov 20 2014.

After being told a tech (actually, I was told a high grade ENGINEER familiar with tracerts and the like) would come out and trying to wait patiently, my internet has gotten a bit better. It's stable and I see no packet loss but this is usually how it is earlier in the day. It's after 2-3 I start seeing problems. Got a call at 1 by TWC and told the engineer scheduled to visit me and fix the issues, then explain them to me, was canceled. No explanation as to why, no answers as to what was going on. Just told that. I was not the one who answered the phone so I could not get the person to explain what the hell was going on.

Now, my tech has been canceled, my internet is OKAY, still seeing jitter and higher than normal latencies.... What the hell do I do? I can't get a solid answer out of TWC and they cancel techs that are supposed to help me then lie and tell us the problem was solved when it hasn't been. Yeah, my internet is better but but it's not 100% and I still don't have any answers. I'm in the dark.

Another update:

After sending a reply to the private help thread I have here on this issue about the canceled tech and me not having an answer, one of the reps here sent me a reply back. This is what happened in order all today.

1) Sent confused reply asking for an answer as to why the engineer was not sent to my home today.

2) Get reply back promptly from employee at DSLreports apologizing and stating they will fix the situation soon.

3) A few minutes later I get a call from 'TWC' as read on my caller ID from an indian man whom I cannot understand stating I will receive 'help at my place' over and over until he just hangs up.

4) Man shows up with that handheld device they use to check the modem speeds. Nice guy, not his fault at all that this is going on. He says he is just one of the guys that hooks up the line.

5) He says he received a call about my issue and says that he was told by the uppers not to show up because the issue was a neighborhood one that was resolved and he was not given specifics. He says they wouldn't lie to him about issues and they're not BSing me.

6) I start talking about tracerts and ask if hop 2 would be the modem or the street box outside my house. He says he has no idea what a hop is because he isn't tech savvy. Now, I don't blame him. He was an alright guy and just doing his job. But I was told an ENGINEER capable of helping me with these high grade problems was going to come out and he would be educated on my case file and all my tracert results.

This man did not know what a tracert was.

My problem is not solved 100%. I am back to a tolerable level with my internet. It's usable, not fixed. I am going to drop this issue. TWC, you've beaten me. I give up. I have too much going on in my personal life to devote so much time and energy to this frustrating problem like I did with Windstream. I, the small guy, have been beaten.

Comments:
silverforte

Techs

I forgot to mention that the techs were extraordinarily rude and did not want to rip up the old lines from 5+ years ago and install new ones until we insisted. Then, the line is basically just sticking out of a hole in the wall about 2 ft off the ground, the disc that prevents air from getting through the hole around the wire is falling off and both the boxes outside the house were left wide open.

I was on the microphone over Xbox live with a friend in the same state as me about an hour away who also has TWC. He has packet loss as well. Both of us lost connection to the internet the other day at the same time and it came back. It has been happening repeatedly. It's not just me!

Re: Techs

Not all the US has total crap for internet. When I was on Time warner cable I thought that the internet must still be a beta product it was so bad. Century link also was total crap.

Comcast how ever does work and gives speeds at lest some what fitting for 2014. You can read my own reviews if you want.

Re: Techs

US is 10th in world ranking for internet reliability. Your one experience doesn't change the facts. Every single person I know has terrible internet problems. People I know in different states, people on different coasts. It doesn't matter if 'not all' of the US has bad internet. Enough of it does that it's a problem.

said by silverforte:

I never disagreed that the US has an internet problem. In fact I was trying to agree that the USA needs to get it's crap together.

Time warner cable doesn't care how high your packet loss is they won't fix it and century link well if it works at all then you hit the jack pot. Or if your only getting 1/10 of the upto speed, but hey you can "upgrade" to the next highest tier for $5 less for your "trouble".

Comcast is guilty of overselling there network to the point I only get 1/3 of the upto speed at any given time day or night.

I had a tech from TWC who didn't want to replace the cable out side the home that had split in half.

Trust me when I say I know the US has a real internet issue that needs to be fixed. Most of the US feels like they are still beta testing the internet in 2014 and that is just beyond reason at this point in the modern world.

Re: Techs

I'm actually barely able to get online at this point. I think the packet loss has subsided but now my modem resets itself randomly about 10 times a day, my phone doesn't work randomly and our TV channels sometimes don't come in or are distorted. A field tech replaced my modem, took the battery out of the new one and left without checking the box across the road. Nothing was fixed.

said by silverforte:

That sounds likely due to packet loss, good luck getting the time warner cable mob of NC to fix it. I know how much they suck due to living with TWC's crap for over 10 years.

I would get 404 more than %50 of the time even when TWC said "its working fine". Some web pages after trying to stay on to long like google thought I was DOS attacking them and lock me out for a few hours by IP address.

The issue is even worse here in NC than in other places like NYC or LA. They treat towns with no choice like dirt and the techs for the most part simply just do not give a dump. One tech even told me "It's not like you have a choice, be glad you get internet at all".
For those who chose there own fears over liberty will only dig them self's deeper into the pit of darkness. For those who chose to blame tools over each other for wrong doing, it will only lead to madness. -Unknown

Re: Techs

Dead on. NC is a terrible state for internet. I've moved 3 times since I got back in NC in 2008. All three residents, I went between Windstream and timewarner trying to get functional internet. Not one fucking time in my life since 2008 have I been able to accomplish that. The techs never know what to do, they get rude if you present them with a situation that they are not capable of dealing with and nothing ever gets done. Can you imagine how much time and money they could save themselves if they just fixed the issues the first time? If they actually put more effort into checking the lines and diagnosing problems?

Re: Techs

Update, October 16 2014, still having problems.

Constantly high latency, major packet loss, the works. Getting sent to 'engineers' on my case file, not sure that means anything more than that they are sending an email to local techs to come do nothing useful except pretend to be checking my line with a handheld tool that doesn't show anything I'm experiencing. I'm certain they'll replace the modem and downgrade me back to that shitty non-router type arris.

»i10.photobucket.com/albums/a146/···9cb6.png

This is how it is for me now.

For whatever reason, the packet loss isn't always displayed.

»i10.photobucket.com/albums/a146/···original

15% packet loss:
»i10.photobucket.com/albums/a146/···436c.png

I'm very close to leaving TWC and so are the people in my social circle.

said by silverforte:

Update, October 16 2014, still having problems.

»i10.photobucket.com/albums/a146/···9cb6.png

This is how it is for me now.

For whatever reason, the packet loss isn't always displayed.

»i10.photobucket.com/albums/a146/···original

15% packet loss:
»i10.photobucket.com/albums/a146/···436c.png

I'm very close to leaving TWC and so are the people in my social circle.

When I left in Jan of 2014 they had closed down the local office and it was a 3 hour wait in line to get rid of service at the next "nearest" office. Phone support may tell you they can't do it and that you must do to there local office. If you do that, be ready for a long wait.

Bring a camera with you loaded with a big SD card to record the wait if it's anything like mine was. Maybe then you could be on the news for longest wait to dump service ever.

If you chose to stay, then test as many PC's on hardwire to the modem as you can get your hands on.

For your packet loss, mine was so bad that often packet loss test would break/fail in the middle and couldn't even give me a percent back. DSL reports own tester couldn't ping me when I had this issue as well as many other sites.

The only thing I think you can do at this point is file a complaint to the BBB. There are no laws that protect customers against an ISP who sells an up to service with no uptime requirements nor any packet loss requirements. You could give them all the data on earth and still if they didn't fix it you have no legal recourse against them other than to leave.

I hope that what ever happens you end up with a stable connection.

Re: Techs

"Well, from what I see your line is clean. No problems with the modem signal."

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms ********
8 40 ms * 32 ms 66.109.10.62
9 16 ms 17 ms 24 ms as13335.xe-7-0-7.ar1.atl1.us.as4436.gtt.net [69.31.135.118]
10 18 ms 21 ms 36 ms 141.101.114.119

Re: Techs

Update: 1:00 PM EST Thursday nov 20 2014.

After being told a tech would come out and trying to wait patiently, my internet has gotten a bit better. It's stable and I see no packet loss but this is usually how it is earlier in the day. It's after 2-3 I start seeing problems. Got a call at 1 by TWC and told the engineer scheduled to visit me and fix the issues, then explain them to me, was canceled. No explanation as to why, to answers as to what was going on. Just told that. I was not the one who answered the phone so I could not get the person to explain what the hell was going on to me.

Another update:

This man did not know what a tracert was.

kpatt2006

join:2012-08-14
Greensburg, KY
·Windstream

Re: Techs

I've been battling Windstream in KY since November 2011 when I first started noticing they greatly oversold their service in this area. It's only gotten worse since then and now the internet is only usable after 2 am. Been looking at moving to Lexington soon, but guess what, Time Warner and Windstream the two major players in Lexington. Our country is a joke when it comes to technology and information highway. »www.speedtest.net/result/3933023219.png

Review by gpfryguy See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Fast downloads, Good for multiple PCs, & Works 90% of the time"
Bad "some channels do not display. PC TV mediocre, Connection losses during the day"
Overall "It's the best of 2 evils in my area."

I signed up for the Triple play, digital cable, phone and internet. I also have upgraded the internet speed because I work from my home.

The order and install process was good. This was a pre-built home which already had cable.

I am renting the Internet modem, and cable box. Modem is a Arris TG862

I work from home, and I experience random disconnects through out the day. I have had many support calls, and when they test things, everything is good for them. They said they can watch the line, but I have not heard anything about it. I am also seeing the cable go out almost every morning around 1am.

The TV cable box is very slow. When I change channels, it is not instant. Sometimes it will take 30 seconds to load the channel. And then other times I can surf, and have to wait for the channels to show up. It runs on a Cisco and takes 5 minutes to boot. Like I posted in the good section, I am over all satisfied, but have to deal with some glitches. From others I have talked to in the neighborhood, it beats dish or other providers.

Comments:
ncted

join:2010-10-25
Durham, NC
·Frontier Communi..

TWC sends modem reset commands frequently

A coworker of mine as documented TWC sending frequent modem reset commands to his modem which is probably the same thing you're seeing which is causing the service to drop out regularly during the day.

Not sure how TWC's cable TV boxes can in any way compare to Dish or DirecTV. You should actually try out the competition, as I have honestly found nothing nearly as bad as TimeWarnerCable Navigator.

Review by TDOG See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "Internet connection is fairly reliable"
Bad "TV picture quality goes bad randomly "
Overall "TOO EXPENSIVE"

I watch about 25% of the channels I'm paying for....The rest are CRAP! Classic TV package and 15/1 internet.

Comments:
OpTiC

Re: Review

It's your problem for paying for that tier you don't need

TDOG

join:2000-04-30
Louisville, KY

Re: Review

classic tier....It's that or basic . You sound like you work for TWC.
HA! What are you? 15?

Re: Review

You can cancel service and switch to Uverse or call up TWC for a better price. Vitality pays 114.99 for a triple play with Ulimate internet, preferred tv, and phone. A 5-30 minutes phone call can lower your bill.
West Covina, CA
Be a little specific what tier do pay and also be specific on your review. If you can afford this then you can't afford anything the same price for Uverse or Fios. I think my bill is expensive, but I have no problem paying it.

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID
Evidently you never had Comcast huh? They are expensive. But you are paying too much, I only pay 94.76 and that includes 1 set top box w/ DVR and every tier except movies and 15/1 internet.

Re: Review

I had Comcast before when Adelphia took over my area. Then it became TWC.

said by scottymead:

I get a better deal on Comcast than I ever did on TWC.

I got 105/10, 3 set boxes with a DVR all HD and home phone for $130. TWC doesn't even have more than 50/5 in most places and it was like $99 standalone for that tier when I tried to order it.

TWC is a rip off in places that aren't like NYC or LA.
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3794782155, »www.speedtest.net/my-result/3794784891

Time warner cables idea of $57.99 internet^ yea that's standard internet alright with the "upto" thing in full force.

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID

Re: Review

You are lucky, I have recently dropped our internet down to 3/1 for the simple fact I don't do much online anymore, 2 kids ages 3 and 2 and no time.

Re: Review

I pay $155 in LA for 200/20 extreme internet, Preferred TV, all premium channels, variety pass plus, phone, 1 DVR, 1 Set top, and a Whole House DVR. The triple play I have is the better triple play with extreme.

Tommmmm

@132.235.52.x

Time Warners Worst

Unbelievable customer service. They transfer me 10 times and final one got disconnected. Never buy Time Warners.

Re: Time Warners Worst

It depends who you speak to

Review by rjbasye See Profile

• Location: Dry Ridge,Grant,KY
Good "Reliable, fast."
Bad "Sometimes it slows down in evenings. Wish it was cheaper."
Overall "Not bad but I wish there was more competition for broadband in my area."

·VOIPO
Still have the same Channel lineup as Insight Communications and not the national TWC Channel lineup. No start over and look back only the icon which when you select it it says sorry feature not available on all three of my DVR's. No DVR manager either as of this date. Would love to have more HD channels like TV Land, Oxygen and the full Encore HD suite also. Internet continues to be rock solid though in my area.

Updated 02/19/2014

Well, Nothing much changed in my area except price has increased for the same services I receive. My promo price has expired and I wish I could get internet a cheaper price since i am paying 79.99 for 30/5. Channel lineup currently is the same as it was with insight and I have lost Showtime 2 in HD for some reason it is only in SD since they settled their dispute with CBS. Don't know when that will return to the HD lineup. Reliability has been good since the TWC takeover with a few minor issues with pic freezing that were resolved in a short time. Overall I feel pricing should be cheaper but with little competition from Cincinnati Bell I don't expect that to change anytime soon. They need to offer more HD channels in my area also. Hopefully they will in the next few months when they finally offer the full TWC lineup in the former Insight Communications area.

It's been less than a month since Time Warner dropped the Insight name from their company and service has not changed from when it was Insight Communications. As I understand it, we have been on Time Warner's network since October 2012. They have went to 8 bonded channels download in my area, if you have a Docsis 3.0 modem that is capable of it. Time Warner has also updated the firmware of my Insight modem that they gave me.

Overall, I'm happy with the reliability of the service and speeds I get. I do notice every once in a while speeds degrade in the evenings but that is on a rare occasion. I have heard bad things about Time Warner but in my area things have not degraded from when it was Insight Communications. We'll see if that changes in the coming months and I will update this review if my service changes.

member for 14.5 years, 6639 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by PamelaTS See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
Good "Ping down to 21,"
Bad "A bit expensive"
Overall "Blows CLEAR away"

It cost them no more to deliver higher speed. It's about profit they could NOT throttle speed down and deliver higher speed for the same cost or lower They just wouldn't make the profit.

Still calling CLEAR and paying the one month ETF glad to be rid of it!

---- Clear waived the ETF ONE MONTH to end of contract.

--- Update ----
I have since dotted TWC TV services lousy customer service, unreliable. Internet service billing errors. When I dotted the tv services my intent rate hacked up. Because some jerk customer service bundled me against my express insistence against bundling. I threatened to dump them and got it fixed. I have had to reboot (owned SB6141) modem a few times after service interruptions.

member for 10.6 years, 1533 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

VelvetSunday

@96.58.246.x

Terrible service

I have been with Timewarner almost as long as they have provided internet services.
And every day of it has been terrible!
- Terrible customer service, no matter how expensive of a package you have.
- BW throttled on services like Netflix
- These high latency issues they refuse to fix
- INSANE packet loss that they also do nothing about
- Much slower speeds than advertised
But at least they're better than comcast
ClosetNerd

join:2014-09-28
USA

Re: Terrible service

My friend it is going to get worse if we just standby and watch. We need to lobby, call attention to this shoddy service... but what do we do, complain. We should overflow BBB agency with complaints. The more complaints you post on CNet, BBB, Tech sites, etc. No one reads this except us, gripping in the shadows... come out and yell it out until the news media hears it. Once they control everything (which they do... don't b* and complain anymore).
ClosetNerd

join:2014-09-28
USA

Time Warner and the upcoming merge with Comcast needs to be stopped

I would call my congressman, senator or anyone. Monopoly has never been good, not even the game.

Seriously, not spamming. I have had lost signals intermittently ever since I bought my own modem sb 6141. It all started when I discovered they were charging me for a modem they claimed as theirs... long dispute, big guy wins, so I want my own. Did it and now paying the loss of signal. Here's my conspiracy theory: If you buy your own modem, Time Warner will drop your signal on and off on purpose. That's it. If we did a poll, a survey on people owning their own modem, I wonder how many will show this trend? I bet it goes in the thousands.

me, unhappy with TWC

Review by bbohne See Profile

• Location: Hinckley,Medina,OH
Good "When it works it works well."
Bad "tech support & service suck."
Overall "TWC SUCKS"

Have had the service for two years and had worked well but can not get tech support or service people to fix the problem of no service. I have tried to work with them for four weeks and still have no internet. Have now ordered ATT fiber optic for $20 dollars less per month and faster service. I would not deal with TWC again even if they were the last provider on earth.

Comments:
etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX

Laughable

quote:

The fiber to the press release trolls are starting to show up in internet forums. Post pictures of your 'fiber optic' installation.

Re: Laughable

said by etaadmin:

quote:

If he had the service for two years than AT&T likely could give him a lower rate and well there tech support is the worst in the cable. Even more so than Comcast right at the bottom.

AT&T has been telling TWC customers that they will do fiber on new installs, but I have no idea if they are telling the truth or not.
etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX

Re: Laughable

said by why60loss:

If the lame poster doesn't have fiber already he is not likely to get fiber any time 'soon' (next ten years... if ever) Basically it is fiber to the press release and everybody knows that.

AT&T is the poster child for lying to customers and government officials. I'm waiting for at&t to install fiber (gigapower) in my home in the mean time I'm going to stick with TWC's 300/20 to go live by the end of the year.

Review by antdude See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Good speeds and uptimes."
Bad "Sometimes technical problems on their ends like outages, firmware problems with modems, support, prices go up every year, etc."
Overall "Good when it works."

I used to have Excite@Home (early 2001 with brand new cable lines since this old nest never had cable before) and Adelphia PowerLink for broadband Internet before they went bust and TWC took over. During those early days since 3/10/2001 for several years sucked badly (DNSes didn't work, uptimes and speeds (e.g., 150 kB/sec during the early morning hours) were awful, etc.). Adelphia finally upgraded their cable system to be DOCSIS in the city, and it was fast and stable! And then, they went out of business.

TWC reused the same cable system. Once in a while, there are outages (usually short ones), slow speeds, etc. Very rare, there are long ones. I think the longest uptime was almost all daytime, but TWC will make up for the time loss of your next bill if you tell them especially if it is a known issue in the area. Support can be bad though due to incompetent people. However, there are forums and chats on TWC's web site, avsforum, and on this web site with people (official and subscribers) who can help through online supports.

Note that I still can't get any fast and cheap broadband services (e.g., DSL is too far due to 20K feet to CO according to GTE and Verizon). Also, no FIOS. Dial-up sucks (3 KB/sec) and lots of line noises.

Also, my old nest's service ended on 9/5/2014 afternoon PDT. I am still using TWC in the new nest with its triple bundled service. The review is pretty much the same (no DSL [used to have it too with the previous owners]). Prices still keep going up!

member for 13.6 years, 5688 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

antdude
United State

No one likes my review, eh?

:P

·Verizon Wireless..

Your review is about right

Though help on this site doesn't do any good if the techs in your area just flat out suck and not trained on HSI service. It's not like the freaking customer can replace the line from the house to the node with in reason. Get trash support on that and well your just screwed. Corporate is 100% useless at TWC. Online chat is useless and phone support is on the other side of this earth and even more useless because at least one can mostly understand chat support even if there full of BS.

Now a oddly happy Comcast customer because at lest the local techs aren't 100% clueless and have there own laptops to test with unlike the overly cheap TWC.

I thought Comcast was worse? I guess I will find out after the merger happens.

A lot say that, but haven't had both in the past two years like me, so I have seen how both run unlike most posters.

The Comcast tech replaced my line and had his own PC to run test, the Time Warner cable tech had his two eyes, a hammer and a beat up old truck with limited TV know how and internet was like on some other planet to him. (Didn't understand what tethering a cellphone was and if that worked and TWC didn't then the PC was likely fine. Had no understanding of signal levels at all nor did he get why a bunch of 404/ 1min load times for web pages was bad. Didn't get that up to doesn't mean 1mbs on a 10mbs plan should be okay. Didn't get what internet speed meant at all really. And wanted $100 for a "BS call".)

I thought Comcast was worse? I guess I will find out after the merger happens.

Interesting. Adelphia and TWC install guys seems OK for my parents and me. I never had to have anyone come over to fix issues. I do agree support sucks on phone and online.

said by antdude:

The funny part was that the Time warner cable tech wanted me to prove that the PC could in fact use and work with the internet before he would do anymore and that if I called again it would cost me so then when I showed him the PC tethered to the phone, he said "so it is working and you called me out here for BS. Your going to have to pay for that".

The levels of stupid, just never stopped amazing me.
West Covina, CA

The TWC techs uses a laptop but it's a Panasonic.

DrDrew
That others may surf
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

Re: Your review is about right

Panasonic Toughbooks are common with telcom workers and others working outdoors needing a tougher computer. I had one several years ago.
You cannot fix a problem that you refuse to acknowledge.
sherazbutts

join:2014-09-20
Pakistan
ptcl speed test
i check my PTCL speed test with »www.pakistanihub.pk/2014/09/ptcl···est.html you can see my speed test result above screenshot... my internet speed is 16 mb but above pictures results is different can you tell me the site which speed test accurately..

Review by CCat See Profile

• Location: Wonderland
Good "50Mb Down / 5 Mb Up"
Bad "Nothing for now."
Overall "Pretty consistant"

I switched from WOW in March. TWC offered a bundle with cable, internet, and voip.
Aside from a minor install problem (which was corrected the next day) everything went well. The turbo speed (15Mb down) is great. I only have 768K up but I really don't upload much so for me its not an issue. So far, so good.

Jan 2009 ISP has been very consistent with speeds. Aside from the usual slowdowns at peak times, and even these are not really a problem. At this point I am very happy with Roadrunner.

Sep 2009 Nothing has changed since Jan. A couple of outages due to weather but thats about it. The usual slowdown with cable at peak times but acceptable.
Just wish RR would increase the upload speed, 768 Sucks.

Mar 2010 Everything is still the same here. Speeds have been consistent and where they are supposed to be. Upload still sucks though.

Jan 2011 Nothing new to report. A few times the cable went out but was corrected in a reasonable amount of time. Speeds remain consistent with the occasional holiday slowdowns. Still stuck with the 768 upload, hopefully that will be changed sometime soon.

Oct 2012 RR increased their upload speed from 768 to 1000 a few months back. Better but still slow. In Dec I am getting the 50/5 package...looking forward to that.

Mar 2013 Finally got the 50/5 package. Only had it for a couple of days, but so far it is solid.
What a difference from the 15/1 package. It costs $30 more per month than the standard 15/1 package which brings it up to $59 per month with the TV and Phone bundle.

Oct 2013 Still running well. No outages or problems since March. Speeds remain consistent.
Would like to see a boost in the upload speed, especially for a 50 package.

June 2014 Have the 50/5 package now. Last month they had an upgrade. This upgrade totally screwed up everything. Problems with email and tremendous slowdowns with internet speeds. If this keeps up much longer I will be changing providers.
All they say is that they are aware of the problem and are working on it...Yeah right.

July 2014 Things are pretty much back to normal. Took a long time to correct IMO.

member for 8.9 years, 5361 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

Email.

This is why you do NOT use your ISP's email addresses. Why do users still insist on using their ISP email? So when you change ISPs again you can change that addy? get a domain or a domain. $9.25 on name.com with a coupon code.