Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Fast"

·DSL EXTREME
Update 1-12-2015:

We will be canceling TWC/Roadrunner at the end of this month.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Update: Decided to continue service.

Advertised as 50/5 speed, but getting a bit faster, with 12 month @ $62 (before tax, etch). Had an Arris all-in-one modem, but recently swapped out for SB6141 (didn't want the WiFi that was built in).

Likes: Level 3 tech support actually knows what they are talking about.

Didn't like that when we moved, Prince Telecom tech didn't put our power levels within specs, so another appointment was requested.

member for 330 days, 243 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by master94 See Profile

• Location: Astoria,Queens,NY
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Unreliable and slow"
Overall "Use only if its a last resort"

I ordered TWC's Extreme 50 package which promises speeds up to 50 megs, however I've yet to see speeds go past 1 meg. When I call TWC they tell me everything is fine. However I'm no fool, my friend who works in IT ran some test. I've got jitter and packet lost so bad he was surprised I was even online. My ping is also over 200. I want me money back. What a joke. Been a customer for only 2 weeks and already ready to leave. FiOS here I come if support cant fix this

updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by TDOG See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "Internet connection is fairly reliable"
Bad "Lots of junk channels"
Overall "TOO EXPENSIVE"

I watch about 25% of the channels I'm paying for....The rest are CRAP! Classic TV package and 15/1 internet.

member for 14.8 years, 7549 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
OpTiC

Re: Review

It's your problem for paying for that tier you don't need

TDOG

join:2000-04-30
Louisville, KY

Re: Review

classic tier....It's that or basic . You sound like you work for TWC.
HA! What are you? 15?

Re: Review

You can cancel service and switch to Uverse or call up TWC for a better price. Vitality pays 114.99 for a triple play with Ulimate internet, preferred tv, and phone. A 5-30 minutes phone call can lower your bill.
West Covina, CA
Be a little specific what tier do pay and also be specific on your review. If you can afford this then you can't afford anything the same price for Uverse or Fios. I think my bill is expensive, but I have no problem paying it.

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID
Evidently you never had Comcast huh? They are expensive. But you are paying too much, I only pay 94.76 and that includes 1 set top box w/ DVR and every tier except movies and 15/1 internet.

Re: Review

I had Comcast before when Adelphia took over my area. Then it became TWC.

why60loss

join:2012-09-20
said by scottymead:

I get a better deal on Comcast than I ever did on TWC.

I got 105/10, 3 set boxes with a DVR all HD and home phone for $130. TWC doesn't even have more than 50/5 in most places and it was like $99 standalone for that tier when I tried to order it.

TWC is a rip off in places that aren't like NYC or LA.
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3794 ··· 94782155, »www.speedtest.net/my-result/3794 ··· 94784891

Time warner cables idea of $57.99 internet^ yea that's standard internet alright with the "upto" thing in full force.

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID

Re: Review

You are lucky, I have recently dropped our internet down to 3/1 for the simple fact I don't do much online anymore, 2 kids ages 3 and 2 and no time.

Re: Review

I pay $155 in LA for 200/20 extreme internet, Preferred TV, all premium channels, variety pass plus, phone, 1 DVR, 1 Set top, and a Whole House DVR. The triple play I have is the better triple play with extreme.

Tommmmm

@132.235.52.x

Time Warners Worst

Unbelievable customer service. They transfer me 10 times and final one got disconnected. Never buy Time Warners.

Re: Time Warners Worst

It depends who you speak to

Review by PamelaTS See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
Good "Ping down to 11,"
Bad "Still more expensive than it should be"
Overall "Blows CLEAR away"

~~~ Update Moved 3 miles Dec 1, 2014
Retention offered me a faster level for less

~~~~~ Old review 20/2
It cost them no more to deliver higher speed. It's about profit they could NOT throttle speed down and deliver higher speed for the same cost or lower They just wouldn't make the profit.

--- Update ----
I have since dropped TWC TV services lousy customer service, unreliable. Internet service billing errors. When I dropped the tv services my rate jacked up. Because some jerk customer service bundled me against my express insistence against bundling. I threatened to dump them and got it fixed. I have had to reboot (owned SB6141) modem a few times after service interruptions.

Still calling CLEAR and paying the one month ETF glad to be rid of it!

---- Clear waived the ETF ONE MONTH to end of contract.

member for 10.8 years, 1639 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

VelvetSunday

@96.58.246.x

Terrible service

I have been with Timewarner almost as long as they have provided internet services.
And every day of it has been terrible!
- Terrible customer service, no matter how expensive of a package you have.
- BW throttled on services like Netflix
- These high latency issues they refuse to fix
- INSANE packet loss that they also do nothing about
- Much slower speeds than advertised
But at least they're better than comcast
ClosetNerd

join:2014-09-28

Re: Terrible service

My friend it is going to get worse if we just standby and watch. We need to lobby, call attention to this shoddy service... but what do we do, complain. We should overflow BBB agency with complaints. The more complaints you post on CNet, BBB, Tech sites, etc. No one reads this except us, gripping in the shadows... come out and yell it out until the news media hears it. Once they control everything (which they do... don't b* and complain anymore).
ClosetNerd

join:2014-09-28
USA

Time Warner and the upcoming merge with Comcast needs to be stopped

I would call my congressman, senator or anyone. Monopoly has never been good, not even the game.

Seriously, not spamming. I have had lost signals intermittently ever since I bought my own modem sb 6141. It all started when I discovered they were charging me for a modem they claimed as theirs... long dispute, big guy wins, so I want my own. Did it and now paying the loss of signal. Here's my conspiracy theory: If you buy your own modem, Time Warner will drop your signal on and off on purpose. That's it. If we did a poll, a survey on people owning their own modem, I wonder how many will show this trend? I bet it goes in the thousands.

me, unhappy with TWC

why60loss

join:2012-09-20

Re: Time Warner and the upcoming merge with Comcast needs to be stopped

said by ClosetNerd:

me, unhappy with TWC

Had TWC and could not be happier on Comcast. I hope the deal does go though as TWC sells a non-service to customers with no choice.

Letting TWC stay as is won't fix anything, breaking TWC and Comcast up won't fix the issue of Customers not having a choice.

Oh I rented a modem on Time warner cable as they would flat out refused to send a tech out for a customer who owned there own modem.

Yet every one of the 20-30+ times they sent a tech out, the internet still had %60 packet loss, 1/3 of upto speed if it made it to the TWC speedtesting page at all and endless 404 errors as the servers didn't know what else to tell me.

They did the Verizon and used duct tape on the line that spilt in half. Oh but you needed to give it to them as the tech would "forget" to even bring that.

Then the 3 hour wait to dump service was nice, oh that line at the only TWC office with one guy working that day.
If only the FCC set standards on what ISP's can do on customer level connection's with rated "upto" speeds, packet loss and down time.

Review by wwwandy See Profile

• Location: Waukesha,Waukesha,WI
Good "Haven't lost connectivity or no drop issues"
Bad "Very bad value; Inflexible customer support staff"
Overall "Only option, so living with it. So eager to switch to better provider"

I've been a Time Warner Milwaukee customer for 11 years now; Called them about 9 times over the last 11 years trying to get to lower the service & they do so about 10% of the time.

Since there is little to NO competition for TWC in my area, They get away with highway robbery!

Comments:
wwwandy

join:2015-02-07

09/17/2014 Applied 36.77
08/17/2014 Applied 36.77

Review by dsl10102 See Profile

• Location: Studio City,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Acceptable, when it works...which, of late, is more often."
Bad "slow-to-no speeds, forever-length hold times, remote support not always current with respect to network conditions"
Overall "Improvements are encouraging"

Improved speeds. Recently more reliable.

Comments:

Review by DMF3 See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
Good "Excellent CSR personnel"
Bad "Slow; sign-up system barely works"
Overall "If you have to have it you have to have it."

New account, set up online. Standard internet-only package, quoted at 15 mbps. Nominally $40/mo with $5/mo online order discount. My own modem (Netgear CM400). The sign-up screen says that I will receive email instructions within 48 hours on how to provision the modem. I did get a "Welcome to TWC" email, but three days later no instructions. So I call.

I have an order number from the printout of the order page. TWC tier 1 tech can find neither the order nor an account for me. She will talk to tier 2(?) and call me back in 20 minutes. 2 hours - no one calls. I call again and this time go to Sales. They can actually see the order; it is not complete and no clue why. So Sales completes the order and 25 minutes into the call I actually get an account number! Also a job number that tech can use for provisioning. He sends me back to tech, who initially cannot find the account. She asks where I am (he sent me to New York CS) and forwards to the correct tech department, who initially can find neither the account nor the job number. Finally finds the account, takes the MAC address, but there is option on the account to provision the modem. "What is the scheduled job for?" I ask. "For a tech to come out and complete the install IN A WEEK!" #$%*! Transfer back to Customer Service. She listens and immediately forwards to a tier 3 tech. Finally! Guy knows what he's doing, can see the modem and we provision it (takes about 15 minutes, though).

Finally online! Total phone time about 100 minutes. And this was supposed to be an automated setup ! All personnel are friendly, competent, and willing to help. It is the system that is messed up. Strangely, I would have said the same of TWC when I first used them 35 years ago.

I've had Comcast in Atlanta for years and am used to FAST internet. According to the speed tests, the "15 mbps" rate is optimistic. There are faster service tiers, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay double the Comcast rates for 1/3 the speed. Not enough experience to rate service reliability.

I suppose there are worse ISPs, but I (fortunately) haven't had to use one. Value sucks, too. If you have an alternative, use it.

Jan-07-15

I'm getting a LOT of "unable to connect" pages. cbssports.com ?? These aren't timeouts; looks more like filtering.

Also, dnssearch (sp?) intrudes on occasion, but I see that there a fix for.

Jan-10-15

It *was* filtering - mine. I forget to enable HTTP in Peerblock.

Supposedly disabled failure re-direct, but can't tell yet how effective that is...

- Dennis

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

At least you got what your paying for..

TWC sounds like Century the missing link. I also was speaking with fools that use to respond to "Ding, Fries are done!!!" when I tried out there 7Meg DSL line that was lucky to see 900K.
snookeehook

join:2015-01-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

my e mail address

where did my e mail address go and why is it not working and can it be fixed ifve had it for years and years

Review by Pathfinder See Profile

• Location: Mount Vernon,Westchester,NY
Good "it works most of the time"
Bad "tech support is a joke. sales lied to me"
Overall "Not impressed"

Dec 2014

Due to illness I have moved in with relatives. I have FIOS at home and am very satisfied. Here they had Verizon DSL. As I am adding to the usage and we now have 2 Netflix accounts, we decided to go with Time Warner Triple play. The ad said 89.99 so we called to get that. No premium channels and 15/1 internet. No problem. The rep told my daughter that the $89.99 was only for new customers and signed us for $161. I found out that he was misinformed or downright lied to us. I tend to believe the latter as further dealings didn't go well. I called back the next day with the ad in hand and after 15 minutes with billing was told that the first rep was wrong and if I called back they would see her notes and correct the price. I called back to speak with sales and while they saw the billing reps note they could not find that offer. After an hour on the phone we settled on a plan that in total came to $126 and upped the speed. I was not happy but accepted it.

Five minutes later the internet went dead. I have an ARRIS 1762 and a Cisco router. I was told that TW wifi is $5 per month. I called tech support and reached a tech with a bad accent. The first thing I asked him is if my ARRIS was reset. He assured me that everything was the way it had been. I plugged a laptop directly into the ARRIS and got nothing. He then asked if I had another laptop to try. I explained that I don't keep spare laptops in my pocket as a rule and told him that there were 2 wired PCs and a wifi PC along with 2 ROKUs 2 tablets and 2 phones. None worked. He had me reset everything at least 1/2 dozen times. He was quite obviously clueless but I was stuck. after 1 hour and 15 minutes he transferred me to the next tier. That tech took one look at my records, asked me if I intended to use the Cisco or Arris for wifi and when I told him Cisco he reset the Arris to bridge mode and we were done. Total time including resets 6 1/2 minutes.

I would go back to DSL rather than call tech support again. Total idiots at the first tier.

member for 14.9 years, 8393 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dstone1029 See Profile

• Location: Prairie Village,Johnson,KS
Good "It is the only service I can get here."
Bad "Flaky in the extreme. Two router/modems so far in one year"
Overall "Waiting for Google Fiber then goobye to this crap"

Ordered the turbo boost boasting up to 30MBPS down, 5 MBPS up. Currently getting something like 2MBPS down 1.5 UP. Talked to three different technicians in the last few days who decided there wasn't anything they could do from their end. As usual treated me like I was an idiot, but that's to be expected. The decided there was severe packet loss and something not right with the area service that three people couldn't figure out how to fix. One of them said he would call be back at 8 last night, never happened.

Now have to wait two more days before a service tech can get to the area.

Not at all happy since I use this service to remote into my office on weekends and the connection is ludicrously slow.

Comments:

Review by MrBungle87 See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "TV is garbage. Overpriced, rate hikes, below the line fees, constant stupidity."
Bad "Overpriced; decaying infrastructure; poorly trained sales and tech reps"
Overall "Don't waste your time."

·Frontier Communi..
1/2/2015: dropped Internet around a year ago, have only had TV since then (Preferred TV with one HD, non-DVR box), which started at a promo rate of $49.99 and something like $7 for the STB. Well, TWC sent me a letter GRACIOUSLY extending my promo rate for another 6 months. But they didn't. I'm not paying $59.99, plus like $6 more in taxes and fees, so my total bill in the past of $64 is now up to $82. I guess the idea is they're just letting me know they're not charging me as much as they *could*. Will be canceling TV ASAP. Sick of this shit.

Signed up for Extreme (30/5) Internet, having bought my own Motorola SB6121 modem. Once signed up and provisioned the modem wouldn't sync and turns out was still not activated. Had to call TWC several different times just to get transferred to a higher level tech. The tech finally determined the modem hadn't been "entered into" their system properly. After the requisite wasting of my time on the phone I was finally activated. Speed tests yield around 34Mbit download (during non-peak hours) and 5 to 5.75Mbit upload. Do note, however, that peak time speeds were cut by about half, taking me down to around 15-17Mbit with some packet loss.

The only positive thing I can really say about TWC Internet in our area is it's faster and typically more stable than DSL from Frontier. Upload speeds, while still a paltry 5Mbit, are approximately 5 times faster than what we got from Frontier's VDSL. However, the cable plant in this area has been neglected for quite some time and shows obvious signs of wear and tear.

After the promo period expires, I'm given to understand the price of the 30/5 tier increases to $74.99 a month (but TWC is adept at being VERY tight=lipped about non-promo pricing, even if you walk into an office and ask them face-to-face).

Bottom line? I tried it for a month, decided it wasn't worth it at present time, and will probably just tether my phone's LTE until either Frontier or Time Warner gets their shit together.

member for 2.1 years, 643 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

FitzDaMan

join:2014-02-26
USA

TWC Reward Card Quailifications.

On DEC 2,2013, I had Extreme Internet(100MBPS),and TWO DVRS("Household Package Bundle" for Living Room/Bedroom) installed by TWC(no phone service). I was a NEW Customer. The Technician said I was good to go to obtain the Samsung Galaxy Tablet IF I adhered to the Requirements:
1) Keep Bill Payments ONTIME for 3 months.
2) Present an old "WOW" Bill terminating their service and what we had.
3) DO NOT drop any Services Installed.
4) Register WITHIN 30 days AFTER the Installation to obtain the "Rewards Redemption Number" for the Card.

HERE'S what you ALL should watch out for...I feel.

The Promo for THAT Tablet itself ENDED on DEC.18,2013.
To REGISTER within 30 days DID NOT and IS NOT a valid,legal statement to obtain the Tablet. I registered on DEC.23rd,2013(WELL within the allotted time frame of 30 days,I THOUGHT) and obtained a Redemption Number THINKING I had applied within the terms. WRONG answer Rick. They didnot inform me, ONCE the Promotion ended it ALSO took the warning of the 30 days registration WITH IT to quailify. So, in essence, I had ONLY(DEC 2 - 18th) to get my butt online and REGISTER, to which it's a DIRECT contradiction in terms, I feel. So, I caution you all that are applying for their "NEW" deal for the next Promo.....better ask,... I didn't.... and now I'm screwed "..........Samsung Galaxy Tab® 3 7.0 and Samsung Galaxy Note® 8.0 offers expire 1/31/14 or when supplies run out, whichever occurs first. Samsung Galaxy Tab® 3 7.0 is available to new subscribers and..........."

Now they say I am ONLY good to get the $150 Visa Card. HUH??? I AT LEAST thought I/we would of gotten "Grandfathered" in since the DEC 2nd Installation was so close to the Expiration of the Promo on DEC.18th. It's when the Promo for THAT PARTICULAR phone ended.....NOT for the Registration of the Rewards Card Requirements to obtain the Tablet.....I thought. What am i missing? I dunno.

Just switched to Frontier from TWC

I also posted on your Frontier review. I found TWC to be unusable at times despite the speedtest.net results I was getting. Switching to Frontier has eliminated those issues. I can actually work from home reliably now, and streaming is actually usable. I had the Extreme (30/5) package from TWC, but they recently notified me I would start having to pay $77.95 per month soon, so I decided to leave. Given the Comcrap merger will likely include bandwidth caps, I thought it was best to be ahead of the curve. If Frontier doesn't work out for me long term, then Google Fiber coming to town is my only hope.

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

I hear you. Frontier has better local techs and they seem to give more of a shit than TWC does. It's just unfortunate that Frontier can't EVER seem to resolve their capacity issues. I realize ISPs don't plan for everyone to be using 100% of their connection all the time, but the peak-hour bandwidth issues with Frontier make it pretty miserable to do anything online (especially when pings jump up to 900ms).

Google Fiber seems like the only hope for this area.

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

Ironically, after praising Frontier today, of course I have no service tonight. I am posting this from TWC because I hadn't cancelled yet. Frontier tech support cannot tell me why my Internet is down. Apparently my options are snappy performance and middling reliability or vice versa, but not both. When it is working, my pings are still sub 30ms. Come on, Google Fiber!

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

What package do you have? I have Ultra (I think) which is 24/2 VDSL and we've had about the same reliability as when we were on ADSL (7/1)--which is to say, crappy.

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

I HAD Ultimate which is 24/2. The DSL connections to the DSLAM were up, but it wasn't passing any IP traffic past there. I called to cancel today because I work from home frequently, and I cannot rely on flaky technology. Anyway, the CSR admitted that they had been having a lot of outages in my area and offered me a $5 discount on the service to stay. I refused because it doesn't matter how little it might cost if the service is not up when I need it. TWC, for all its other issues, is up pretty much all the time.

When I had ADSL (7M/768k) with Verizon at my old house, it was rock solid, and honestly, perfectly usable for anything I need to do on a regular basis. I was hoping the VDSL solution from Frontier would be like that.

Re: Just switched to Frontier from TWC

My dad works from home, too, and depends on a stable (not fast, mind you, just stable) connection but both Frontier and TWC couldn't meet that standard. Frontier is definitely the less reliable of the two, but we had dropped packets, low peak hour speeds, etc. with TWC, as well. So...what other options are there? AT&T? They won't even bring U-Verse here. It's a farce.